Speaker 1: Yeah, my all my family, well, my mom is from Nigata, my but my family is off in Tokyo.
Speaker 2: Excellent.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I go there a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm going back in the spring, is it my dog?
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, cool, I'm going in March. Excellent at the beginning of April. Yeah, for the first time. So I got Wow.
Speaker 2: You're in for a big surprise and a treat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good, good surprise. Oh yeah, you surprise, big surprise. Will fuck you up? Jack?
Speaker 4: Yeah right, gonna be this ship out you. You didn't hear about Tokyo. Everyone does martial arts away from Copaicho. Bro, They're gonna get you too. Don't don't funk around.
Speaker 1: Ship all the way up.
Speaker 2: I had no idea we'd have this conversation.
Speaker 1: Don't go to not Yokocho, don't go don't go to No Yoko Chose. They're going no fuck you up. Wow.
Speaker 5: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three seventy four, Episode five of Dai Guys Say production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: This is a podcast where we take a deep.
Speaker 3: Dive into america shared consciousness.
Speaker 5: And it is Friday February seventh, twenty twenty five, two seven two five.
Speaker 1: We got a big one, all right, Ocational Betticini Alfreedo, betted Genie Alfredo table Day, shout out Valence elect Fronds, National wear Red Day unless you know you're down with that other set and maybe not, but also National Send a Card to a Friend Day and National Bubblegum Day, so look, we got a lot of bubble gum. Lla com fetticini red Cardaccini.
Speaker 3: Alfredo is my favorite food for like age five to seven, like when I the age said my family was into olive garden.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, oh my good god, my god. Whoa. I think it's because there's some it's it was like the grilled cheese of pastas, yes or something, you know what I mean, Like I guess there's macon cheese. But if you had to go to an Italian restaurant, you're like, I don't know if I get tomato sauce everywhere, I don't like that. But this whole thing that's just cream each.
Speaker 3: Noodle like deeply coated, like it like three levels deep coated with like just cheese and cream. And oh my god, this became way My face was shiny after I ate it.
Speaker 1: You know, apparently this was made because a restaurant tour was worried that his pregnant wife wasn't eating like enough, or like there were things she didn't like, so he was like, what about this ungodly concoction? And then fettuccini Alfredo was born. It is a is a beautiful.
Speaker 3: Concoction made for a beautiful reason.
Speaker 1: Shout out to the periodic table.
Speaker 3: I will never know you, but uh nope, God.
Speaker 1: Blessed all the people who did. I said, shout out Valens Electrons, very very sarcastically, because that's the thing I fucking hated about.
Speaker 3: Because fuck Valence Electron.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't care how many y'all could bond with some other fucking molecules.
Speaker 5: A man, my name is Jack O'Brien AKA, it's tricky to talk, go round to talk, go round to talk, go around.
Speaker 1: UFC support for Hitler.
Speaker 3: That is courtesy of hannahy Emmick view. Uh Andrew T bringing up how you know he spent some time loving the combat sports at UFC, but at a certain point was like, oh, they're all Nazis, so many of them. The core like ideals behind that field, but the league is kind of hitler ish. Anyways, I'm thrilled to be joined as always by my co host, mister Miles.
Speaker 1: Grassles Hey, the Lord of Lancersham the Viceroy Ventura Boulevard, famously known as the show Gun with No Gun. Thank you so much for having me back. Jack was real touch and go there here. Well, yeah, I'm here. You know, I was like, should we bring this guy back? I don't know. I was waiting outside to do it. I was holding my lucky charm, just waiting for the call up. And here I am. Y'all know yourself. It's good to be back.
Speaker 3: Well, Miles, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by an actor, educator, podcast host of the show's Living Forward, and the creator of the podcast Caucus After the Fall. Please welcome the very fucking interesting Hey.
Speaker 2: Hey guys, Hey, it was awesome to be here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I was quoting the great Bard Miles Gray said, where did we get this very interesting guest?
Speaker 1: Yeah? This is amazing because again, so full disclosure. You know, when we're looking like read up on our guests and stuff. I discover Taya also mixed race, also Japanese. I'm like also black but also Filipino. Dane. It I was like, hold on, hold on, hold on, no, no, what is going on? But Taya do this up? Like I was like you you're like my mixed race o. G you know what I mean. I love I love to have people there. And we were just talking shit about Tokyo or not talking shit, but you know, just talking our ship about Tokyo. So just it's nice. It's nice to have you know what, talking ship about to No, no, never never there because Tokyo will fuck your ship up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm saying before I'm gonna Tokyo in about a month and a half and.
Speaker 1: Have your head on a swivel, bro. But that Dodger's hat will protect you because yeah, because we have we have Sasaki and Old Tony. Now so yeah yeah, yeah, you're good, You're good, all right. Yeah. No, when I was there last time, right after we signed Old Tony, you couldn't buy it, like there were no Dodger hats to available for saying oh yeah yeah yeah yeah no, trust me, you will be That's a protective cloak. Even though there is nothing you need protection.
Speaker 3: I can get it. I get it, all right. Well, Tayo, we're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. But first, a couple of things we're talking about. We're gonna talk about they're just basically blaming the letters DEI for everything in the government. Right now, we're going to talk about how that's going. And finally some good news. An asteroid could hit ear within twenty thirty two, So writing time for Trump's third bite of the apple.
Speaker 1: Third consecutive term, third consecutive consecutive term. Yeah yeah, yeah, it's hard reset time, baby. Yeah. Get those thera guns out. Yeah.
Speaker 3: In the past, we've talked about, you know, doing a hard reset with a thera gun, just like to pet their gun to the temple.
Speaker 1: But lightly massage your temple. Hope they'll jar all the time.
Speaker 3: Maybe maybe this will just do the job for us. All of that plenty more, But first, Tayo, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing about who you are.
Speaker 2: I wanted to know how many feet there were in a mile?
Speaker 1: Okay, hold on and two old eighty ah.
Speaker 2: I was gonna get and and And the reason I was searching it was because I was doing some simple calculations, and having grown up in Japan, we don't use the what it's called the imperial, which is kind of interesting way to get comperial?
Speaker 1: How do you use the right one? Why don't you use the good ones?
Speaker 2: That's right, the imperial. So it turns out it's five and eighty. Yeah, so my question is why, why so complicated? And then I just started to do another search for how many ounces are in a pound?
Speaker 1: Sixteen? Yeah, sixteen? I do know that.
Speaker 2: Why is it sixteen?
Speaker 1: I don't know, because because that's how that's how much it weighs when you put the weed on the scale, when you've got to say sixteen or the sh is light?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, why don't you use in inquitive measurements like.
Speaker 1: As the base unit? I mean, did you guys see that? That skets When Nate Bargatzi hosted SNL like last year the Joye Washington's founding father. It's so funny because the whole thing is about He's like, and how many feet in this Miley? And they're like, what what? Why?
Speaker 2: Yes, what's the purpose of that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's one of the best recent SNL sketches I think kills me. Do you remember.
Speaker 3: Like any point where it was just agreed that the US was in the process of transitioning to the metric system, and then it just never happened. Like, so I went to elementary and middle school in like, you know, late eighties, early nineties, and that was a thing that they were just like, and soon we'll all be on the metric system, so you should be learning the metric system mainly, but you know, this is the old bullshit way of doing things. And then it just like never happened.
Speaker 2: Well, I came to the States in nineteen eighty one for collage.
Speaker 1: I got it.
Speaker 2: My wife grew up in the States, and she tells me that when I was not here, they had attempted to, like in the back of the milk cartons, they had like just a comparison chart between metric and the imperial system. Yeah, and then it just kind of went away.
Speaker 3: And then people were just like the monkey guys at the beginning of two thousand and one, They're like, oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they threw theirs.
Speaker 2: The question is why is it so hard? Why is it so difficult?
Speaker 3: So this is a theory that I'm just coming up with right now. But I have noticed that one of the strategies for power and capital in the United States is to hide behind complexity to make things so. You know, all the stories about what Ela Musk is doing to the government, like I trust that it's bad. I don't know what most of this shit means, you know, like it just requires a lot of homework and complexity, and like all like the way that corporations and big banks have kind of fucked things up in the past three decades. Like it's hidden in complexity. And I think that's the way that neoliberalism works in a lot of the time. You know, it's the tax code and how American taxes are super complicated and other countries are like here's your bill, thank you. I think they like to exhaust us, to like make things complicated so that we don't fuck with how things are, how they're operating behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: I call it distract and destroy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's right.
Speaker 3: Distract, exhaust, you know, just make it, make it exhausting, make it seem like homework, and then the people who went to an Ivy League college and are just like so horny for homework can just do all the homework and steal steal all the money.
Speaker 1: I just read that. The reason it's five two hundred and eighty feet is because the Brits in fifteen ninety two are like a mile because the Roman mile was five thousand feet and they're like, nah, let's throw another to eighty because they're like, we think a mile should be eight furlongs. A furlong six hundred and sixty feet furlong sounds like some horseshit, right, like something to do with Hey, already furlong though, you know from Terminator too, all right, one of the great furlongs? Did he didn't make it right, did he not?
Speaker 3: No, Brad Renfro, I was thinking Renfro. Sorry, guys, guys, sorry, I was thinking Remfro.
Speaker 1: Yeah for long Heyo. What's something you think is underrated?
Speaker 2: Botox?
Speaker 1: Botox?
Speaker 5: Yeah, botulism toxin, yes, under the very botulism toxin.
Speaker 1: So I I had injected in my face this morning. Yeah, I was gonna say, Jackie look shocked. Yeah, right, did you know what was gonna happen?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I inherited from my father the ability to squeeze my my forehead when I'm thinking so much, I look like a like a klingon. It just starts to bunch up over here in the middle and a bunch of years ago, my wife said to me, you know, as an on camera person, as an actor, you might want to take a look at that. And I was like, it's part of my identity, you know, way, what the heck, you know, and then about it, and then I say, it's not going to stick that way. Well eventually it did, and two weeks three weeks ago, I had just a little injection over here, and now it actually feels like I'm not squeezing my eyebrows. So I just say, there's a limit, you know, like you know, right, So yeah, it's a little bit underrated. I wasn't gonna do it for for decades, but.
Speaker 3: And nowhere off. You know, sometimes Nicole Kidman would roll in looking like just something had happened, like neurologically something had happened. But then she has still maintained as like one of our finest actors.
Speaker 1: So it you know it, but.
Speaker 3: It's not it's not permanent.
Speaker 1: So that's another thing.
Speaker 3: It does feel weird like you're put injecting poison into your face to fix things.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I think that it's like eating nutella. It's it's it's not any worse.
Speaker 1: Right, exactly. Nutella is poison.
Speaker 3: It is wild like as you age that the thing like that people told me when I was young, like don't make that face, it'll stick that way does end up being true a little bit. It's like, oh yeah, you're like there, yeah, you frown so much, you have weird wrinkles.
Speaker 2: You you want to die with a smile, Yes, that would be the optimum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or in your street yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: But maybe you're just like you don't even know what's happening, Like you're just like, wait, who, why is this like the end of suppressed the plug on the TV, or like you're in the middle of a dream, and then then they're like, hey, bro, come over here.
Speaker 1: Huh yeah, right now, right there. Yeah yeah, come right over here, right over here, idiot.
Speaker 2: That sounds really creepy.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, maybe that is.
Speaker 3: You get like an icy like feeling on your spine right as the darkness closes in that's the way to go. Yeah, and then the dream never ends, so it's just a never ending feeling of being unsettled and creeping chill.
Speaker 1: Yeah, perfect, Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think a lot about that, like the bad death scenarios. Yeah, looks like it's gonna hurt. That's my main thing looks like it hurts, It looks unpleasant.
Speaker 1: Tell you what's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 2: The Imperial metric system, Wow, okay, hold on point on her point right? Or selfie sticks. I think selfie sticks are overrated. O.
Speaker 1: Man, where's last time you saw a selfie stick?
Speaker 2: Well, that's the point. Yeah, I mean, you know they probably sold millions of them. You know, people are thinking, I'm gonna like enhance my identity on Instagram by holding out this big stick, and then you end up at a party and where's the stick?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's true. We've I'm like, it's funny, like where did where have all the selfie sticks gone? Where all the.
Speaker 3: Going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I mean that is Yeah. I feel like it's funny because you know, in Japan, you'll see like on the train platform they're like, put that motherfucking selfie stick away. They have so many selfie stick warnings because they think sometimes someone might get it so high it'll hit like the fucking power lines above the train track or something related.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right, you can see the voltage connecting in the middle of the behind his eyes.
Speaker 1: I got a photo of the guy. You could see an arc from the cable to the guy's selfie selfie stick.
Speaker 2: That's right, That is not AI that actually happened, right.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, yeah, there's some stuff like that that's just like invented by people with add who don't know or who don't have a d D and don't know enough people who have a d D Like, yeah, no, this will be good and people just remember them and they won't be clogging up our lost and founds for decades from now. But yeah, selfie sticks just couldn't be me having a selfie stick.
Speaker 1: Be careful, you never know that, you never know.
Speaker 3: I mean, it could be me for twelve hours and then and then I will lose that shit. I have noticed, like, you know, I took my kids to the the not the Redwood for it, the Sequoia like National Park over over the holidays, and you know, we're it's just a big like line of people taking selfies in various locations.
Speaker 1: And when I.
Speaker 3: Would offer to take people's pictures a lot of time they're like no, like I just want to like take a selfie like that. There's a weird like selfie culture, like right, purity of selfies.
Speaker 1: Well it could it could have been were you sweating a lot. I was sweating, and I'm gonna take that.
Speaker 3: I seem to you a little desperate to take their picture.
Speaker 1: Hey hey, hey, hey, it's that guy again. You want help.
Speaker 6: We're in the car. You are great, right now? Hey hey hey great? Pay sure, hey hey, just give me your camera. I'll give it back. I'll give it back. I'll give it back. You do it in the back.
Speaker 3: Seat of our car. If they approached, he I was gonna get I was going to get a candid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean people like a selfie more. I mean I think it's probably generational because like when I see people my age and older, you definitely are doing that thing. We're like, oh yeah, yeah, Ki, thank you so much, so much, because sometimes I don't I think personally, I don't. Selfies aren't the most flattering angle for me.
Speaker 2: But when you when you see a selfie that was taken the like let's say President Obama, like people around him, then it's like, Wow, the president is taking a selfie, right cue that's yeah, that that's really cool. That's cool to see because and it's not a generational thing. I don't think. I think it's it's all it's like a Hubris thing. It's like a it's a it's a cultural thing. I think right now in the world where we're looking too much into ourselves, Am I getting too metaphoric? Maybe I am.
Speaker 1: No, I don't think this is the type of ship we do on the show. I was like, or maybe it's faux populist for a politician to take a selfie, like look, I am just like you poor people the selfies.
Speaker 3: Let me get my hands out of the picture. Person a service agent. You can take the picture and I'll look like a selfie the Yeah, but gen Z likes selfies because they're like, I don't know, it seems like I'm all alone in this world since you've poisoned it and created a system where like we're just communicating to each other in isolation through social media.
Speaker 1: So why would it? Why would I not take a selfie? Right? Non selfies are a lie? Okay Dad, wow Dad? Like cas is Mark Zuckerberg, Oh.
Speaker 2: Oh nice, wow you you jumped that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we went, yeah, we do do something, do something because we'll get in the cage. We not like Elon.
Speaker 3: I'll tell Mark Zuckerberg give anything like five ten. He looks tall, looks like normal sizes. Yeah, normal, not normal, but like not He's not neither super tall or super short.
Speaker 1: It's just like, oh, were we actually this? Just in I thought five to five seven, five seven okay, Jeff Bezos, Wow, okay, Steve Jobs six two? Really a hey did that? If you measure down now? Look, yeah, look what are we doing?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, Zuckerberg would be in like a pretty low weight class in the cage. Is it is what I'm trying to.
Speaker 1: It would be yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, ye see what what what he's walking into the ring? His his weight at that point?
Speaker 2: Is that using the metric system.
Speaker 1: Or Imperial metric system? Imperial? Yeah, we are a strictly imperial podcast. He's ten stone. We actually go deeper. Yeah, he's actually ten and a half stone.
Speaker 3: And yeah, measure height by like chickens, I don't know whatever whatever you have on the farm.
Speaker 1: All right, let's uh, let's take a couple breaks. Let's take a quick break. Hey, you know, Lea's Friday. Take a quick break. We'll be right back. And we're back. We're back, and man, this DEI stuff.
Speaker 3: I guess it's pretty bad according to according to the headlines I've been seeing.
Speaker 1: Holy shit, everything's the every it's the cause of all of all of the problems in the United States. Crash the moment the e I d I crashed that boat into the bridge in Baltimore. Yeah, DEI is is it's it's it's a what do they say. It's just it's this destructive ideology. That's what they always say. Is sort of like a catch all description of it. But it's been a gift to Republicans in that they use it again as a catch all to describe anything that isn't to their liking. It's basically shorthand for it's those damn insert group here that are ruining the air traffic controllers.
Speaker 3: Okay, those dang insert group here FAA, and not the firing of the head of the FAA, nah, not weeks before now.
Speaker 1: And aside from you know, trying to completely destroy the federal government, Trump two point zero is clearly focused on trying to erode any sense of decency and inclusiveness that we have as Americans that's been fostered over many decades, and so many headlines this week are crammed with references to DEI as it relates to the actions of the administration. So just for starters, right, like the Pentagon was directed to be. Like, dude, I don't want to see the word diversity anywhere West Point. You have affinity groups for the people, for the cadets at West Point, get it out of here. If it has an ethnic group name, I don't want to hear about Japanese cadets or South Asian engineering groups. Get rid of all of it. So at the White House they took down their Spanish language website. The FBI headquarters had their walls painted over for having banned words scrawled on it, like diversity. And I mean, I guess that doesn't feel like too much of a loss considering what the FBI was doing with co Intel pro. But hey, look they put the words up on the walls nonetheless. And he recently fired the head of the US Coast Guard, Commandant Linda Fagan, and evicted her from her foot like home that's you know, part of like that comes with the position, with only like three hours notice. So she wasn't even able to get like all of her personal belongings out. And Fagan is the first woman to lead a branch of the military, and predictably, the rationale for her termination was border security issues and a quote excessive focus on diversity, equity and inclusion. Yeah, this is just a very Again, they're using all of this stuff, anything linked with DEI to then, I think, just to sort of transmit to their audience that, oh, she's out because of DEI. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you can't do that, because that's the new whatever, you know, the bad thing is now. Then this week there was a report of a DEI watch list that was targeting federal employees. The list says it's quote exposing the unelected career staff driving radical diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives within the federal government. And on Thursday, Secretary of State Marco Rubio said that he was going to skip the fucking G twenty summit in South Africa because do I even have to finish this sentence? He says, quote on x or fuck it with on Twitter. South Africa is doing very bad things. Expropriating private was written by Trump. They're doing very bad things, very bad things. They're expropriating private property. Not true, using using G twenty to promote quote solidarity, equality and sustainance to sustainability, in other words, DEI and climate change. Rubio's claims are nonsense. But we've seen this logic from racists before.
Speaker 3: He was saying they're doing climate change or the no no change is like just acknowledging sustainability.
Speaker 1: That sustainability. You're not going to trick me. I don't. The only thing I'm trying to sustain are these corporate profits, baby and me with all that environmental nonsense.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So again, the South Africa stuff is something that Elon Musk was saying, like they're taking things away from the white the colonisers.
Speaker 3: Basically, yeah, that's why it was so hard for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, I mean why'd you leave in the late eighties early nineties, bro? Anyway, whatever, that's fine.
Speaker 3: It's usually fine. When white person leaves South Africa is usually for a good reason that has good or one shady undertones, no notifying human rights abuses hiding behind it.
Speaker 1: But like we saw this logic in the summer of twenty twenty, right, Like any amount of rebalancing the scales to help people is seen as this zero sum game where everything is being taken away from white people in an order to achieve some semblance of equity. And again this is all part of the plan and like it's meant to normalize hate and maintain the sort of like de facto white hegemony. And if people's sensitivities to hateful policies wear down enough, then this administration knows they can take things to truly unfathomable, like I mean, it's already unfathomable, like things that we're not even saying right now. Who knows what they have? I mean, we've read Project twenty twenty five, so we have an idea, but it's all part and parcel of this. And like Taya, you have, you know, dedicated most of your career to equity, diversity inclusiveness, like through entertainment and many other things, and you've spoken a lot about it. How how do you sort of see I mean, I'm sure over the many years you've been doing this, you've seen this back and forth, back and forth, But how are you viewing like this just rampant, just sort of like thoughtless attack on DEI.
Speaker 2: I've been doing this work, meaning diversity, equity inclusion even before it was called diversity ecuay inclusion. In fact, the name of my company is Entertaining diversity. And when I was using that word back in the early nine nineties, people didn't even know what it meant. Prior to that, it was called race relations. You know, this is back in the in the seventies and eighties, so the whole concept of diversaic conclusion is very old, and we've seen a lot of a lot of pushback over the years, never like this. Never in my thirty three years in this business, I've never seen it like this. It is an outright attack. So I've never seen it like this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's it's just wild to see. I mean, like, for part of me feels like this is just sort of a reaction to and we talked about this, I think on yesterday's episode of just so many organizations going along with this concept without really believing in it, so it makes it very easy to backslide. We're like, it's like they were holding there, going along with d I went, yeah, theah o years. Oh thank god, okay, We're okay, sorry, we can't. I don't even know how to do any of this, and I really didn't care about it. So thank god we're not being told this is the norm anymore. But I don't know, like it it it just to see this, like I see all the many ways they're targeting this specifically. It's like a way to speak misogynistically, homophobically, race in a racist manner without using you know, actual slurs or supercharged language. It's like the perfect dog whistle for them to use to sort of attack all of these sort of these groups. But I also just see it too as they're really just like with the stuff with trying to like dial back like sexual liberation as a way to control people's bodies, like dialing back this like the the the validity and the like the noble cause that is trying to create more equity in our society to try to diminish that is all part of again, to make like racism the default or at least indifference to racism, like just sort of the law of the land, and everybody saying like, look, we're past this, so now let's operate from this understanding.
Speaker 2: Well, going back to a Jackie, what you said earlier about and then prompted the phrase distract and destroy. I forget what phrase you used, but it's the distract part. It's the distract part. What is really happening right, If this is what we're focusing on, there's something else going on. That's what I want to know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean I think this is all. I think a lot of it has to do with a lot of the hijinks Elon Musk is pulling now in terms of really like while all of this sort of these policies are being rolled back, like what he's doing is truly unprecedented, Like we've never just had somebody who's not been elected, who's not even you know, has no position aside from like a special office within the government, to just pull up to the Treasury and be like, all, right, hand everything over, I'm give me this. I'm plugging in my servers here. This is how it's all happening. And yeah, the damage that's being done there or the potential for damage, yeah, we have quite Yeah, And.
Speaker 3: I don't feel like it's only distraction because I think it's also like a overall plan of attack, which is break everything, and then when the thing is broken and malfunctioning and people's lives are getting ruined, find a way to blame you know, DEI a woman who has a job, a black person who has a job, you know, finding a way to give the people a scapegoat, which see they've found works incredibly well, like they rode that all the They rode racism all the way to the White House, so they have they have the data to show that like that that plan of break everything blame Dei. People will kind of go along with that, and then as the thing is broken, you get to enrich yourself by figuring out how you want to build it back. Like that seems to be a pretty good summation of like their entire philosophy and like plan of attack at this point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think the distraction part is that Weird America is like on the brink of levels of class consciousness that would make billionaires very nervous. Right. The Luigi Mangioni thing was an absolute like warning to them. They're like, what the fuck? People people don't care if like the people who are at the levers of like a very predatory business like for profit healthcare, if something like what is going on? And I think being able to because most people, most intelligent people would probably arrive to some conclusion that it's a combination of like oligarchy kleptocracy, that the wealthy are funneling all of the resources that normal people need to live. It's going to them, and so they're trying to explain away this phenomenon by just sort of doing this blanket sort of explanation that it's like, it's dude, it has nothing to do with the business owners. It has everything to do with diversity, equity and inclusion. Yeah, that's why. But again, and it's hard. It's it's a hard point to sell. Like, sure, that's going to appeal to people who are just inherently have these like racist, bigoted beliefs that of course they just as people, they don't want to see other people win, except for people that look like them. But there are also people who clearly are also sort of wising up on some level, not at a point to the kind of critical mass I think we need to sort of have something super meaningful happen immediately, but to the point where there are many people who are much more curious about talking about billionaires and wondering what their part is in all of this. And I think you just got to read their biography of the mouth they get. They write biographies, so you just read their version of it, and it's always a really good source of how how they built whatever, how they built their insurance company that they inherited from their dad, in a garage by themselves while.
Speaker 3: Everybody was telling them that they couldn't do it and they were stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, it's I mean it's it's super frightening. And I mean, what do you usually when you try and when you speak to groups of people about like what diversity means and how that's a strength. What do you like, especially in a group of people who have never heard, like or even given a thought, what's you think? What like a more underrated part that I mean aside from that, like this is the right thing to do, like that it's a source of stability strength, Like what what are the sort of aspects of this that we're not talking about? That if you take away this concept, or at least the takeaway our interest and motivation to pursue more diversity and equity, like what that does to us in a negative way?
Speaker 2: Well, I think that the United States is in many ways unique, and certainly certain parts of the US, large cities like New York Los Angeles are very inherently very diverse and diverse in so many ways. If you've ever been to New York City, you will hear many languages, You'll see people dressed in all kinds of ways women empowerment in power, and there's there's an affinity that is very different in some ways from much of the country in terms of living next door literally and on top of each other with people who don't look, sound, smell like you. You know, it's you know, it's such an interesting place. My mother lived there for thirty years, you know, it was it was always eye opening to know that in the United States a place like this could exist. One of the things that attracted me to staying in the United States when I came here from Japan. Japan is a very homogeneous place. At least it was very much so back when I was growing up there. It's changed a little bit, but you know, it's it's going to take a long time. But the challenge is when there are opportunities that are restricted against certain people for their gender, their sex, their age, their race, their ethnicity, their culture, then there's no way for them to succeed in a country which promotes the idea of inclusion in everything that's written from the early stages, even if it wasn't carried out the way there should have been, especially during slavery, and it certainly took quite a long time for women to get the vote and for people have call it to get the vote. The point of DEI in a training model is to help support the idea that people from different backgrounds and different experiences can work together in ways to If it's B to B meaning business to business, then organization, then it's so that the company can succeed financially and they can make a profit. So it is a somewhat of a capitalist nuance. But when it comes to things like should you be able to walk down the street and not afraid of someone who doesn't look like you, it is because we're prompted by so by the media and social media and the world and the news and people like Trump. You know that that to scare, the scare tactic is what causes people to have paused before engaging with people who are not like themselves. So DEI is not is not a solution so much at is it's a support for people to understand how to work across differences.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we've covered before, but one of my favorite soft sciences studies when they like tested these like groups and like they had groups that are diverse and then groups that are not diverse at solving like a challenging problem. The two results are one that the diverse group does better at solving the problem because you have more different types of minds coming at the problem from different you know, backgrounds, different experiences. But second that the non diver like the homogeneous group, is more confident that they got the right answer even though they're they're more likely to be wrong because they're just it's like less challenging, you know, it's more comfortable for them, and so they just comfortably you know, strong and wrong, which I think matches would be a good summation of this administration where they're just you know, very confident, very comfortable in their privilege and in their like shared experiences and just fucking couldn't be more wrong about more things. So yeah, and it just feels like anytime, the the fact is that like this backlash and this backlash that we've seen historically every time white supremacy is challenged in this country, and like white male supremacy in particular, the backlash is just like that's what they're reacting to, is the comfort that's cost when people are like, what if it's not just only you guys in a room smoking cigars and making the decision for with that.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with that? It's discomfort.
Speaker 3: It's the discomfort, and I think I've always like had this sense that it's also a knowledge deep down that it is superior to have diversity, and like they're terrified of that, and so that's where the violence comes from, the sense that they know they're wrong, and they're.
Speaker 2: Well, if you're there, if the January sixth attack was all black people, or all people of color, or all gay, gay and lesbian people, you know, that would have been a completely different response.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, I mean, you know, to say that they were there for you know, they were there as tourists or just to kind of visit is not just an understatement. It's dangerous because they it was an attack. People died, right, Yeah, Well, we'll.
Speaker 1: See how well this works. I mean, this is this is they continue to hammer and hammer away at it and to the point now where like people don't it's like the same like how it was everything was woke and they couldn't even like the people had trouble really explaining woke. Woke is yeah, yeah, because in the end you're gonna arrive at something like that's actually like a decent thing where you know, not not to just be like it just means they hate like white people's stuff. No, No, it's it's about actually being like respectful of other people's differences and trying to create a world where we're able to respect all that so everyone can live to be themselves in a way that they don't feel that they're under duress or threat because they are straying outside of whatever is dictated as quote the norm. Uh. And guess what for all the people, it's not gonna hurt you. It won't hurt you. In fact that if that everyone is like living on an equitable like playing field. Actually, that's where real stability comes from. When you have people that are like left to just rot by the wayside. That's that's that's truly like the beginnings of how so many of our our issues come about. But again, yeah, this is all about just sort of defending the concept of like we're the most right people and anything that is contrary to that is an attack and we will target you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as you know, being who I am, I have to say I'm very confident they're going to get this right. Trump And Uh, as a white guy, I feel like they got this.
Speaker 1: I just think we should just chill.
Speaker 3: I'm I have a high level of confidence.
Speaker 1: And I mean someone asking Tommy Tuberville, a football coach, They're like, did you just feel all white players? Why not? Right? Why not? Huh? Why not that? Why don't you keep it a buck? Because that looked like I mean that, this is like again, the logic is so fucking flimsy.
Speaker 2: But again, and how we went from the giggling Elmo to Jeffrey Dahmer overnight? Ye, I don't know how that happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I will say one thought that occurred to me just as you were talking about, like their you know, treatment of Commandant Linda Fagan, like somebody who the first woman to lead a branch of the military despite being a woman, like not not because being like despite up against one of the most sexist organizations in the history of a civilization. Like these are people that I have to feel like it's not wise of Trump and Musk and this whole administration to just be blindly alienating and making enemies of and then being like, all right, you're out on.
Speaker 1: Your ass, see you later.
Speaker 3: Like I feel like at some point that could come back and bite them in the ass.
Speaker 1: We'll see.
Speaker 3: But like I just you know, everybody's like he's being strong, and it's like, yeah, I think he's like not, I think he's like more like a handle with a D. D feels like what where he's coming from.
Speaker 2: That's a great cartoon character, rightandal a horse in a hospital, as John Mulaney called it, or yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I think. I mean you just look right now, it's like Trump is just basically eroding all American soft power too, Like in this thing to be like in America is going to be dominant. It's like you think you're gonna do that on your fucking own. We're not, And you're gonna other other relationships are going to are already forming because of the actions of this administration that will put the US in jeopardy, whether that's you know, from a security standpoint or financially economically whatever. But yeah, all of this stuff. I mean, that's what's funny is when you when you pursue a policy that's like it only needs to be us and that's it, you're gonna fail because inherently we do. This is all interconnected and we do depend on each other. It's not like America's its own fucking planet where it's not like and it's like, that's it, and we don't have to worry about anything because we are this is our own ecosystem, and everything else it will just fall in mine because it's just us. It's it's very, very, very stupid.
Speaker 2: And I just wish, I wish they saw how stupid.
Speaker 1: This is, but I guess not. This is their this is their fantasy times.
Speaker 2: It's hard to see that you're stupid when you're stupid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is. That's true. When I was at my stupidest in my early twenties, that was a fucking genius.
Speaker 3: You couldn't tell me shit, the most confident I've ever been.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, my stupidest. That that fall from when you realize how stupid you are, that's a fuck. That's the worst pill you have to swallow.
Speaker 3: Like, especially I'm wearing clothes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like you have never done that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you've never looked down and realize you're not wearing clothes. No, no, I have to.
Speaker 1: Hey, you simply must. It's such a great experience. You simply must be thrown out of multiple iye hops in the span of one month.
Speaker 3: It's come to from a blackout and realize you're not wearing clothes.
Speaker 2: Those pancakes are stacked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's on my body.
Speaker 3: Caked up in many ways, in many ways, he was caked up. All right, let's take a quick break. We'll come back and talk about the asteroid that could hit Earth. We'll be right back and we're back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and we're back. Be better, dude, do oh wow, it's like a yacht rock than Golden Oldies. Baby. On the daily side, Geist Miles, I like this headline.
Speaker 3: I'll let you read your headline here.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I wrote, Oh thank god, an asteroid could hit Earth in twenty thirty two. That's it. Hard reset time, baby. Yeah. So twenty thirty two, the year Donald Trump's disembodied head that speaks using AI will run for its third consecutive term in office. But hey, if Democrats play their cards right, they won't have to do anything because an asteroid has the potential to smash into Earth. At the end of last year, so that the Asteroid Terrestrial Impact Impact Last Alert System at list noticed an asteroid that was making its way over to our little blue Marble and its orbit had the chance of impacting Earth. In twenty twenty eight, but that was quickly ruled out. But on its next go round in twenty thirty two, they're saying there's about a one point nine percent chance that it could hit the planet Earth States of America. And first of all, I'm like, why the fuck is this thing tied to presidential cycles. I don't like the I don't like the idea that it's orbit comes around every presidential cycle. They're like, we're twenty thirty six. I don't know ab time. I hope you have a super pac asteroid. It's a big fan of the Olympics. Yeah, it's just like roll through before you start cruising, like deep core drilling companies looking for your next Bruce Willis. It's important to note a few things. First. Experts say that as they gather more data about the trajectory of the asteroid, they will most likely be reducing the odds of impact to zero. That's usually what happens every time. They're like, the first one, we get a little bit. But as we can see right now where it's at, we can kind of, you know, extrapolate that data to see, okay, what are our chances. But but if there's still a chance that the asteroid could hit us. There are options on the tablena no let it cook, sir, let the asteroid. If the data this is from our technical quote. If the data in a few months still shows that the asteroid poses a hazard to Earth, it will be time for the World Space Agencies to consider a deflection mission. NASA demonstrated its ability to alter the orbit of an asteroid in twenty twenty two with a first of its kind experiment in space. The mission, called Dart, put a small aircraft on a collision course with an ASHTRAI two to four times larger than two zero two four yr four that's the name of our next president and asteroid, and they were able to alter the trajectory like with this like impact. So this uh are this asteroid is about forty to ninety meters Okay, don't ask me what that is in imperial measurements. I don't fucking know. That could have a blast radius that could potentially take out a small city. But experts are saying but even if those like off earth interventions don't work, there would be ample time to evacuate the impact zone. Okay, so you know they're saying you said that, like Joe Namath telling about the impact. Yeah, I just want to kiss you. I just want to kiss you, asteroid. So when pieces of ship tell you we don't need to fund scientific research, remind them that we could get armageddon without things like NASA and other space agencies and you know science.
Speaker 3: What perfect timing for to find out this information? As Elon Musk is like taking over the US and like, you know, trying to privatize NASA, somebody who's like again whose incompetence is only outmatched by his confidence in himself.
Speaker 2: But he's also trying to take over Mars, right, So I think, why is it always Earth that these meteors are going to hit But like, why not Marsh?
Speaker 1: They do?
Speaker 3: They hit it Mars and the Moon like that's where the moon craters our punch frag. Yeah, the moon gets fucking the moon gets its shit rocked all the time. But also when the Moon gets is ship rocked, Like it just never goes away, Like there's still the footprints from the astronauts, like just like they were when they left them because there's no atmosphere or wind or anything to disturb it. So maybe it doesn't get rocked as much as I would have indicated a moment ago, but.
Speaker 1: It's done in the course of its whole career. Yeah, oh the moons. I'm not talking about it, just our recorded time, dude.
Speaker 3: That moon's rocking data is pretty pretty high. But also Elon Musk and like, those are people who would welcome this, Like they because they're not gonna be in the fucking city like evacuating people, and they like his whole thing is like he wants to repopulate the Earth with his own dick, like you know, like that, so like truly strange, Doctor Strangelove fucking predicted everything like that.
Speaker 1: It really did. Like that.
Speaker 3: It's a dark comedy that came true unfortunately, but like that is a real concern. I do think if this administration found out about a planet destroying, you know, asteroid that was coming towards Earth, like first of all, just ask yourself, Like that would be a good gut check for Trump supporters, is like is this really who you think would be? Like you find out tomorrow and asteroid's coming, are you really gonna feel good? You can be like he's the guy to get it. Yeah, you're direct so fast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the dude who looked directs, Yeah, right exactly because I mean it would take a multinational effort. That's a different space. Well, we're already The thing is, we're already speed like this. This group that convenes is like the Russians, China, Us and like the European Space Agency like that. When it comes to that shit, we know how to be like, all right, bro, we're all on this fucker together, so we need to figure out what we're gonna do together before you know, the Orange man finds out. But yeah, I found it kind of refreshing though to read an article normally, like every time, you know, like just these like headlines or like nasteroids gonna hit in twenty thirty two, But this article in our Technica, because they're people who are actively very interested in science and communicating science that it's like, well, look, there's this can happen, or this can happen, and if it hits, it might only impact like maybe like a thirty mile radius and most likely it's probably gonna hit the ocean if it were, or some remote area based on where all of our population centers are. But I liked it because I think the headline it was very good. It said, what was the subheadline? More data will likely reduce a chance of impact to zero. If not, we have options. I'm like, oh great, great, we have options.
Speaker 3: Give People Magazine, People dot Com a crack at that headline, Like we talked about this lung cancer article from on yesterday's trending from people those like lung cancer increasing among people who have never smoked. Here's why, why why? Yeah, you're gonna have to click through to find out, asshole, go fuck yourself, hide the dark heart of our civilization behind a clickbait headline. And that is why we love people, don't we folks? All right, Well, good great reporting ours Technica and Miles.
Speaker 1: Yeah that I didn't I read a thing out loud and that it's called podcast reporting. Yeah, that's that's that's where the bar is for reporting.
Speaker 3: That is, Like I I remember covering the story where they like kind of nudged that asteroid off its course, but I didn't really like that's pretty cool that it. Like this one, which is a potential, you know, potentially catastrophic collision, is like not even as big as the one they were able to nudge.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, yeah, that one was huge, huge.
Speaker 2: Well, we can't nudge the unemployment rate.
Speaker 1: Am I right? Over here. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it's going to take an asteroid for us to do ship to save people, and it's.
Speaker 2: Going to take the metric system.
Speaker 3: Yeah, please, the metrics at like our imperial system. Clashing with the metric system has caused so many fuck ups in the past.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could you imagine that? Like, dude, we totally biffed that. Uh mission, I forget what Yeah? Wait, what is it?
Speaker 2: The it landed on Mars. It was supposed to land on Mars and it crashed.
Speaker 3: I think, I think, Yeah, that's the one. So nobody died a robot. How NASA lost a spacecraft from a metric math mistake. This was back in twenty twenty three. Oh no, no, it was in ninety nine.
Speaker 2: That Yeah, it was a while ago.
Speaker 1: Anyway, we've gotten it together since.
Speaker 3: Well, Taya, it's been a pleasure having you. Thank you so much for joining. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 2: Sure, go to Entertainingdiversity dot com. Yeah, slash Media if you want to see information about the new podcast Caucus after the Fall.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And that's like a fictional world about a post race war world, correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in this world it takes place in the future, the United States is now segregated into race categories.
Speaker 1: Like that season of Survivor. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah that my sister in law was on.
Speaker 3: Really oh wow, oh that's crazy.
Speaker 1: I dropped that nugget all the time on Survivor fans. Yeah, I love like yo. You know my co host was on that on that season. On the race episode. Wait, okay, so it's a segregated and what happens to people like us? Teyah we are?
Speaker 2: Yeah, listen to the podcast that there is a group who are mixed race, and part of the mission of the story includes a main character who I play, a producer who is mixed race who's traveling around the country to find some important people to help to help end the crisis.
Speaker 1: Nice okay, nice, that sounds great. Is there a work of media that you've been enjoying? Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, I watch a lot of Key and Peel m Okay. I love Kempion not only not only because they're really funny guys just as really they're very insightful, very very smart, very intellectual, but they're also mixed race. And I support anything mixed race, not anything mixed race.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, yes, right, yeah, yeah. Some people are not doing not not not maintaining the brand like they should be on that.
Speaker 2: No, no, and let's see also this is very different. But it's called uh, what's it called? We crash games? We we crash games. All it's this three D animated cars crashing into things. It's just you know, it could be anything. It could be a Godzilla or a trailer or a thirty ton coil steel that drops on top of the car and then you get to see what the impact is. Like a Toyota, a Toyota four runner will will roll over and get squashed, but a you go will just like you know in smither of Reens, you know, become dust, you know that that kind of thing. So it's it's when I'm bored. It's just rare, but it's entertaining.
Speaker 3: Nice sounds great miles. Where can people find you? Is there a workimedia you've been enjoying? Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, find me on all the places that have at symbols at Miles of Gray. You can also find Jacket on the basketball podcast Mountain Jackop Boom, Mad Blust's and also find you talking about ninety Day Fiance on four to twenty Day Fiance. Let's see a tweet I like is from at Underscore Zets tweeted the CIA being overthrown by a far right wing government would at least be funny. They must feel like they're in a twilight Zone episode right now. Kind of strange.
Speaker 3: Wait a second, with the fun amazing. You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien and on Blue Sky at jackob one dot bsky dot Social uh workimedia I've been enjoying is just a bluesk from a Nate soulmate, m Nate Shyamalan, who tweeted, very funny to me that the Fantastic four trailer doesn't show him stretching. Somebody in a suit said, don't you dare scare them off with that freak shit.
Speaker 1: It's too much.
Speaker 3: That's almost definitely a real note that somebody got. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeitgeist. We're at the Daily zeye Geist. On Instagram, We're at daily Zeitgeist on Blue Sky. We have a Facebook fanpage and a website dailyzeiguys dot com. And you can go to the episode wherever you're listening to this and check out the description where you will find the footnotes, which is where we link off to the information that we talked about in today's episode. We also link off to a song that we think you might enjoy, Miles, is there a song that you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna go out on a multi hyphenitz, multi platinum selling artist, Winston surf Shirt, who I have not heard of until recently. This track is called ice Cream, and it's just nice, kind of dreamy pop this person has, like you know, it's definitely like hip hop, roots and just like other just good. There's just a lot of sort of genres coming together. But I like the vocals on it. It feels very uplifting. So it's like the kind of music you want to put on to kind of bring your mood up, especially on a Friday. And who doesn't like ice cream except for those who are lactose intolerant, But y'all have options too, and Peak and we all have options. We all love a bit of ice frozen dessert. So check out ice Cream by Winston surf Shirt.
Speaker 3: Is there any references in it to the Cuban Lengths track ice Cream?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no, it's hard, it's hard, a little disappointed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, The Daily Zeige is the production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from my.
Speaker 5: Heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.
Speaker 3: That's gonna do it for us this morning and for this week.
Speaker 1: We are back on.
Speaker 3: Monday to tell you what was trending over the weekend and we will talk to you all then.
Speaker 1: Bye bye,