Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Good Morning. This is Laura, Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's tip is that little fees on investments can add up. You want to be sure that your money is working hard for you and that you get as good.
Speaker 1: Of returns as possible.
Speaker 2: To help me with this tip, I invited Joel and Matt from the How to Money podcast to share strategies.
Speaker 3: They're with me.
Speaker 2: Here now as they have been for a few episodes this week. So Joel and Matt please take it away.
Speaker 3: Thanks Laura, and let's talk about fees. Because everyone wants to get rich quick scheme that might actually work, But the problem is those schemes never pan out in reality. And yeah, it'd be great if just one little hack could save you huge chunks of money in one fell swoop, if just a little bit of effort could create these massiversults. But the truth is that it's typically a lot of little, small financial leaks that are sinking our ships, perhaps dozens, But there is one thing that might be costing you thousands or potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars over the course of your life. And the truth is there's there's something you can do to rectify that situation, and it's not terribly difficult. What we want you to do is to swap your high fee funds for their low cost alternatives.
Speaker 4: You know it. Yeah, whether you are investing in a retirement or within a brokerage account, lowering the fees that you pay could save you a ton of money over your investing lifetime. So let's dive into some actual numbers here to illustrate the point. Let's imagine you are investing five hundred dollars a month and you're paying a one percent fee. Well, you might be shocked to hear this, but you are giving up nearly two hundred and seventy thousand dollars in fees over the course of forty years. So that means that instead of retiring with your portfolio sitting at a cool one point two million, well you'll only end up with nine hundred and twenty eight thousand dollars. I know which one I would rather have. That is a massive difference. And fees, it's just important to keep in mind that they really are the silent killer when it comes to your ability to build wealth.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really is incredible just how much fees can rob us blind, and yet most of us have no idea what we're paying in fees on the funds that we're invested in. And it's also just kind of hard to commprehend how much a small fee can actually amount to highway robbery of your retirement account assets over time. Based on the numbers you just gave Matt those examples, that's great, And even on something as basic as like an S and P five hundred index fund, which is a great place for lots of investors to turn, the fees can be vastly different depending on which company you're using to make that investment. For example, Goggenheim charges more than one and a half percent for their basic S and P five hundred index fund. Compare that to Fidelity, who literally charges no fee at all on a virtually identical fund.
Speaker 4: That's right, Yeah, So let's talk about what you need to do in order to fix the situation. So much of it comes down to which company that you ought to keep your investments with. Are you doing business with a company that prioritizes low fees or not. Some of our favorite low cost companies are Vanguard, Fidelity, Charles Schwab. If your investments are not with one of those companies, we would suggest that you look at your last account statement in order to just figure out and assess how much it is that you're paying. If you can't find that statement, even just doing a simple Google search of the funds that you are invested in can provide you with that information. You might be in the clear if you're doing business with a company that isn't feeing you to death, but just given how much money is at stake, it is crucial to verify that firsthand.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the good news is that in general, across the board, fees are coming down. That's largely thanks to index funds and these giant low cost companies, which is a great thing for investors everywhere. But like everything else, just because vices are coming down on average, doesn't mean that every company got the memo. There's still loads of companies charging fees that aren't in line with the new normal, And every day you continue to do business with a company like that, it's costing you real dollars that your future retired self would love to have.
Speaker 2: What great advice, Thank you, Joel and Matt. Paying attention to fees can help your nest egg grow faster, and really, who doesn't want that. For more great financial tips, please listen to Joel and Matt at the how to Money podcast and in the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time.
Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, I'd love to hear from you. You can send me your tips, your questions, or anything else. Just connect with me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram at before Breakfast pod. That's be the number four than breakfast pod. You can also shoot me an email at before Breakfast Podcasts at iHeartMedia dot com that before Breakfast is spelled out with all the letters.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much.
Speaker 1: Should I look forward to staying in touch. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.