Speaker 1: From Marhart where Innovation, Money and Power Collie in Silicon Vallet NBN. This is Bloomberg Technology with Caroline Hyde and Ed loved Love.
Speaker 2: I'm Caroline Heinde at Bloomberg's World headquarters in New.
Speaker 3: York and ourmed lovelow in San Francisco. This is Bloomdog Technology coming up.
Speaker 2: Well, some mixed signals in the labor market. Will break down what hiring looks like within the tech sector and speak to the CEO of Human Resources Platform Athena.
Speaker 3: Plus, we get a peek inside the c suite when it comes to the health of the tech industry and speak to the CEOs of CrowdStrike and z Scaler. Does those companies report earnings?
Speaker 2: And Amazon and talks to offer mobile phone services to its prime customers, will discuss well what that means with the competition.
Speaker 4: All that and so much more coming up.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you saw the story coming out of the Bank of America once again showing us where the fun flows are going. And Michael Harten it's been just putting out note after note calling what he says as an AI baby bubble that we saw.
Speaker 4: In the month of May.
Speaker 2: But did you see the statistics and the last week of May the money flowing in to technology a record amount eight and a half billion dollars. That's EPFR global data extraordinary. And we know why. We know it's the AI bubble.
Speaker 3: Well, look, there's this kind of fomo element, right, but remember what we talked about with Juane Phoenie twenty four hours ago. All of the games in the S and P five hundred years to day are just seven names, the megacats and Nvidia, which is a big part of that AI story. Then we think about the fed hot hot hot jobs data. What does it mean looking at swaps, we're probably pricing for a hike in July, however you want to phrase it for June a skip. Some in the market would say higher rates impact present value of future cash flows to tech. So we've got to pay attention to the fundamentals as well.
Speaker 2: Ed twenty four hours ago, you were talking to the CEO Palenteer. I know this is a weird week, so Joanne PHOENI was forty eight hours. I don't know if you know, but I have no idea what day it is, what time it is. But it was a great set of interviews that we've had this week, and yeah, where we're talking chips, where they're talking AI, let's talk payrolls right now, because well, today we're showing continued strength in the labor market, but we're just trying to dissect where that strength is and whether it's actually in the tech sector that we talk about day in day out. Let's bring in someone who knows well Roxanvates, CEO of course of the key company that is looking at the resource platform, thinking about the technology startups that you're focusing on, Zoom, Figma, even Netflix, Athena is supplying to these companies at the moment in Rockxan, what are you seeing in terms of nervousness, because you're actually all about compliance, you're all about culture. Ultimately, what's the tech sector feel like?
Speaker 5: I think that there's kind of this tension because there's obviously been huge challenges in the tech sector, massive layoffs that have kind of happened throughout the past twelve to eighteen months. But on the flip side, there's also a huge desire to keep key talent, keep culture and companies whether they're navigating return to office, whether they're navigating sort of all the social chalnelenges, intergenerational in the workforce, and so I think you're seeing both, you know, the kind of rampifications of a bit of a tighter economy in tech, you know.
Speaker 6: Layouts and things like that, but also absolutely.
Speaker 5: Wanting to hold on tight to all of your key talent because you know, that's at the end of the day, what makes really great type companies this great employees.
Speaker 2: So try and carve it out for US three hundred and thirty nine thousand from a global from a US macro perspective, looks very hot, but the unemployment rate is rising. We are seeing a fight for certain types of talent, for AI talent in particular.
Speaker 4: We're just hearing how JP.
Speaker 2: Morgan is just forty percent of those that are trying to hard at amendment have got AI skill set. So is that what was being referenced by the companies you're talking to about this worry that those that they have decided.
Speaker 4: To keep having a hard time keeping them.
Speaker 5: I think that's exactly right, that there's you know, I think that there can be this feeling that you conduct a layoff and then it's just done. And in fact, what I'm seeing with really thoughtful companies that we're really proud to serve is that their people team, their management teams understand that you may conduct a layoff, but that's almost like day one. What you really then need to do is invest in making sure that those who are staying are happy, that they're connected to the company, that they understand new policies, that they understand, you know, whatever new things are happening in that company. Because a company has done a layoff, but they are absolutely still planning for growth, they you know, still fundamentally believe in their core mission and in order to do that they have to keep the best talent.
Speaker 6: And of course AI is absolutely driving a lot of this.
Speaker 5: But you know, in management, you need strong managers to step up. Sometimes their span of control has increased. So I think that the idea that layoffs were conducted and then done, we're not really seeing that. Instead, we're seeing companies really invest in like, Okay, what's the day after.
Speaker 2: What's the day after, what's the culture like in d how much you're having to pay people? Because I think that's the other interesting part of this macro store and the Job's data today was maybe you saw that wage increase in that wage inflation just stall back a little bit.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's the data point.
Speaker 3: Something I tweeted this week Roxanne was the story around zip Recruiter cutting twenty percent of its staff.
Speaker 7: What does that tell you?
Speaker 3: Forget the economic data, what does that tell you when a company like zip Recruiter that's doing recruitment is cutting twenty percent of its own Stuff about this market?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think regardless of what company it is, you know, the layst I think I've tended to be between ten and twenty percent, And of course any company that's heavily in the talent space was hit early, hit hard. But I don't think that it fundamentally changes. Like if you kind of pull back from the month to month and look year to year, everybody believes that tech is the future.
Speaker 6: Like there's still this.
Speaker 5: Really strong optimism driven by AI primarily, but across the board. I think that as companies go hybrid, key tools are going to be needed in order to connect management with their employees. Like none of these I guess secular trends are rolling back, and so I think it's a little bit more.
Speaker 6: You know, what it probably tells most people is that.
Speaker 5: There may have been some overhiring, some exuberance, regardless of what the company is. The past couple of years were quite wild in tech, and I think it's just more of a like a restructure, not a fundamental disagreement that the future of these tech companies remain strong.
Speaker 7: When do we return to horing.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think that we are absolutely there. I still many of the companies we work with, even companies that have conducted, you know, to your point, these ten twenty percent layoffs on the exact same day, may still be hiring for key roles. So I'm not sure if I had a crystal ball, you know, everything would be much easier for me when we're going to return to the pace of hiring that we might have seen over the past two years.
Speaker 6: But I wouldn't in any way.
Speaker 5: Say that the people teams that were we work really closely with have stopped hiring. They're backfilling certain roles. They're absolutely thinking about where they need to continue to invest. And so it's kind of this complicated dance of on the one hand, perhaps conducting a layoff, but on the other hand, really investing in both the talent that remains and thinking about the talent coming in o.
Speaker 2: Those people teams being replaced by AI.
Speaker 5: I mean I think that they're being handspare by AI right now. That's like sort of both the hope and I think what we're seeing in general, there's still so much of the people function that really is this like interpersonal dynamic. You're conducting one on ones, you're conducting really sensitive conversations, and I think there's an understanding, even among folks who are incredibly optimistic about AI, that you're still going to need to have these conversations have this really complex inner personal dynamic.
Speaker 6: But the absolute hope is.
Speaker 5: Replace a lot of that paperwork with AI so that you can focus more on the people work and not just kind of that routine, you know, day to day stuff.
Speaker 6: That's exactly what Athena is aiming to do.
Speaker 3: Roxand Portraeus of Athena, thank you, Thank you. Coming up, CrowdStrike reports its first quarter results are going to bright and little.
Speaker 7: Down with CEO that's coming up next.
Speaker 3: I'm just going to take quick look at shares of Broadcom as well. Interesting here, Caroline, which story do you buy into when it comes to Broadcom the narrative that AI sales will double over the course of this fiscal year, or that every other business area is slowing down, particularly when it comes to the memory side of the business. I think that's really important stock to watch right now. Investors liking it at one point nine percent. This is Spoonberg CrowdStrike, reporting its first quarter results earlier this week and boosting its revenue guidance for the full year. The company also announced it's working with AWS to developed new generative AI applications. Let's bring in CEO George Kurtz for more on this. There was some concern George about a decileraration in billings at one point to stock Thursday down eleven percent, biggest drop since November. Others on the street saying nothing to dislike in this earnings report.
Speaker 7: What was the most important point for you?
Speaker 8: Well, I think when you look at the earnings report, you've got to start with we've exceeded our guided metrics. In addition to that, we actually record revenue record, gross profit record, operating profit and for the first time gap profitability. So when you put all that together, it was extremely strong. And the way we run our business is not by billings. Billings is more of a timing issue. You have to look at that new arr and if you look at the current environment with the current conditions and macroheadwinds. We think it was an absolutely strong quarter and it was a beat and raise, and I think it's a testament to the product in the customer base that we have.
Speaker 2: Let's talk about that new annual recurring revenue first year every year decline and made what is, of course, as you say, challenging macro environment. Is that macro environment improving in any way that the perspective you're seeing.
Speaker 4: Is it getting easier in the sales cycle or no.
Speaker 8: Well, it's certainly not getting easier. When we looked at it, it remained consistent and consistently challenging. Was it something that we talked about the headwinds for the last couple of quarters. We didn't see it get better, but we saw it remain basically the same. So we'll see what happens for the upcoming quarters. And obviously everyone's hoping for some relief with interest rates and some of the debt ceiling issues, but that remains to be seen.
Speaker 2: What the clients that you're signing at the moment, what are they most focused on. I'm pretty sure everyone's thinking about general to AI about some of the risks involved in cloud, which adoption is still strong there. What is the number one priority for the clients that you're currently serving.
Speaker 8: Well, it starts with stopping breaches, which is why I built a company, and I certainly believe we're the best at and I think our customers would say that. But when you put that aside, the number one driver really is consolidation. In the current environment, everyone is looking to save costs and consolidate, and with a platform that has twenty three modules, we can create a very compelling.
Speaker 1: ROI and a payback within the first year.
Speaker 8: But that means is we're taking share from other vendors, we're consolidating it onto our platform.
Speaker 3: George, when we spoke at RSA in eight pro AI was the buzzway for everyone in your industry, both as a tool but also recognizing that threat actors have access to the same technology. Now you've got a partnership with AWS. How did that come about?
Speaker 6: Well?
Speaker 8: AWS has been a great partner for many many years. Are also a customer, and when we looked at what we were doing what they were doing with Bedrock, we thought it was a great partnership. We protect a lot of their customers and their clouds, and when we think about AI. You talk about RSA, you know we were both there.
Speaker 1: It was all about AI.
Speaker 8: Guess what, Crowdstrike's been doing this since twenty twelve when I started the company. That was the bedrock in the foundation of why I started it. Now AI has transformed over time. You've got Generative AI, which we're excited to talk about Charlotte AI and what we're doing in that space. But AWS has certainly been a great partner for us, and we look forward to advancing that relationship.
Speaker 3: George, what I increasingly hear in the c suite conversations I'm having here in Silicon Valley is technical expertise.
Speaker 7: Is the driver within a company?
Speaker 3: Who within your organization was pushing you to basically say, what can we do with Amazon? How can we build something within bedrock? I want to know how day to day a company like CrowdStrike brings llms into their existing offering.
Speaker 8: Well, it's a great question, and the good news is there's not a lot of pushing.
Speaker 1: It's actually built into the DNA of the company.
Speaker 8: That's the way we started, That's the way we protect against these adversaries using AI.
Speaker 1: When we think about Generative AI.
Speaker 8: We started this project some time ago as m's were starting to mature and come to market. So we have a group or many groups actually, but we have a particular group in Europe. In fact, I was out in the office when we launched Charlotte are AI Expertise and Center of Excellence, and we basically said, you know, how do we do this at scale? How do we partner with someone like AWS, and how do we come up with the best outcomes for customers? And one of the things to keep in mind is you have to have the best data set to come out with the best outcome.
Speaker 2: Always great to catch up with George. Thanks, I'm sure you're hitting the road soon again. But talking Europe and indeed the focus on AI, George Kurts, we thank your CrowdStrike CEO. Let's talk about z skater Just what it's third quind of results and beta expectations even raising it's for your forecast for adjusted earnings shares as you'll see, had been performing well today, up seven and a half percent over the last couple of trading days. Please to say the CEO is with us, Jay Chowdry for more and Jay, you're pre released and many seeing that this is the solid numbers that They wanted to see what are you feeling in terms of macroeconomic headwinds at the moment. What are you feeling and hearing from your clients.
Speaker 9: Well, macro conditions are tight, there's a lot of scrutiny, but CIOs are still looking for making sure they're doing what needs to be done for cybersecurity. But they want to do it by having good cost savings, by having good ROI. Since we delivered great cybersecurity and we can eliminate a lot of point products, the ROI is often strong, often about two hundred percent to three hundred percent. That's what's giving strength to our business.
Speaker 3: This is a good opportunity for us to work out what is going on inside cybersecurity right now. We just had George Kurtz on CrowdStrike. His stop folls eleven percent because growth is decelerating. Yours seems to be doing your posite. You have a lot of government earl of enterprise customers. Why is it that you are benefiting from a spend on cyber right now?
Speaker 1: What markets do?
Speaker 7: What they do?
Speaker 9: I focus, as one way of putting it, Yeah, I focus less on the star price. I focus on building great solutions and taking care of our customers. But if I were to say, what's helping us is two things. One, there are many aspects of cybersecurity. The aspect we deal with is implementing zero trust architecture, which is fundamental to stop rand somewhere and other very sophisticated attacks.
Speaker 7: But number two, you may be doing a lot.
Speaker 1: Of great cybersecurity.
Speaker 9: If your business case for ROI in cost saving is not very strong, your deal gets put on hold.
Speaker 3: I'm going to give Caroline the opportunity to ask you about our official intelligence. But okay, ransomware still interests me. Yep, Where are the threats coming from?
Speaker 7: Right now?
Speaker 3: It's not been long since RSA and ransomware with a big topic of conversation at that summit.
Speaker 9: So where does ransomware come from?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Geographically? State level? What do you saying?
Speaker 9: So there's a lot of state level stuff going on. China and Russia are generally in the top two list. China driven more by IP and Russia they do a whole lot of things, and probably many times it's driven by making money though their whole range of groups that go after ransomware for making money.
Speaker 2: Can I ask you just your thought as an expert clear expert in the field about the credibility the validity when Russia and the Russian government accuses well allegations that the US has had certain iPhones, particularly of those over in Russia, is that something you think bears weight that one could assume could have happened, even whether or not it did.
Speaker 9: There's a lot of reconnaissance activity happens, and all countries do it to a certain degree. It's hard to say for sure which of these reports are true, but I can tell you that our security research team picks up a lot of reconnaissance because at the end of the day, this communication going on. Before any major breaches happen, the reconnaissance activity starts. We at these like a switchboard. We are in the middle of all communications that happens between users and applications AE and we often see a lot of that. That's how we are able to detect some of these early warnings of phishing attacks, fans similar the like. We have over three hundred billion requests that go to a cloud every day. With such a large volume of data, you can pick up stuff. The example I'll give you is before nine to eleven, there was a fair amount of reconnaissance FBI had a lot of information CI and other bodies if they could really correlate lots of telltale signs. Since we have such a massive cloud, we have a lot of those telltale signs, and now AIML, especially generative AIML, is helping us to figure those things out as scale and help our customers.
Speaker 3: Generates, ave AIML always the keywords right now in this earning season, Z Scale is CEO J. Chowdery, thank you so much for your time. Now coming up, Amazon shopping around for a partner in order to add wireless services to its list of perks for Prime. We can get more details on that from one of the reporters that broke the story, but watching shares of Meta formerly known as Facebook as we head to break social media giant asking employees assigned to an office to come in three times a week beginning in September that, according to sources, joining a clamp down on remote work in the tech industry in Caroline. How often are we hearing this three days a week the tech sector come back to the office having done reductions in workforce.
Speaker 7: Interesting one, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It does feel like three is the magic number when it comes to technology.
Speaker 4: It's a little bit higher.
Speaker 2: If you're looking across over in Wall Street and some of those big financial players wanting four or five days a week of face show, but notable.
Speaker 4: That well, even though they've got all their virtual.
Speaker 2: Reality ways of interacting online, they still want people to come in and interact in real life too. For San Francisco and New York as a Bloomberg welcome back to Bloomberg Technology. I'm Caroline Haid in New York and.
Speaker 3: I Med Lovelow in San Francisco. Let's going to check in on these markets. So much going on from the eco to the news cycle, in particular with looking at an equity market that is charging towards a ball market, in part driven by relentless outperformance in big tech. Similarly, also thinking of course about that hot, hot hot jobs number that came in looking at swaps the market saying okay, when we think about the FED, then maybe a pause or a skip in June, call it what you will, and then a hike in July. It now seems possible throw into that some of the outperformance of single names as well in the marketplace names to the upside, like dish on that scoop we're going to get into in just a moment to the downside, what we're seeing our carriers T Mobile in particular down seven point seven percent, biggest drops into March, with twenty twenty Bloomberg News reporting according to sources that Amazon is in talks with those carriers basically to buy wholesale rates right and start offering to Prime customers some sort of wireless offering of its own. Let's continue the conversation on that exclusively and Big reporting with Matt Day who joins us now, Matt, what are the details of what you've reported here? What is it that Amazon's actually looking at doing?
Speaker 10: So it looks like Amazon's trying to add what would be the biggest perk to Prime in many years, maybe since they launched their streaming video service.
Speaker 7: The details that are schedule.
Speaker 10: What we know is they're hoping to add some sort of wireless service, maybe free, maybe as cheap as ten bucks a month, and offer that as a part of the Prime bundle to subscribers.
Speaker 2: And this is all about making Prime even more addictive, because is it because of the growth rate slowing? What do you think the real causation of this is?
Speaker 7: I think it's a little bit of that.
Speaker 10: It's also a little bit you know, Amazon in this era is trying to get costs you know, kind of across the board and kind of re emphasize the value of their core products. You know, that's online retail, let's prime more broadly, so it's not surprising to see them looking to a pro way to make a splash, you know, with it's really their main retail programming, the way.
Speaker 1: They have in the many, many years.
Speaker 3: I think consideration here in that, as you know, you and I talk about this in the context of healthcare, in the context of transport, When Amazon moves into a new industry, that industry shivers. What is the logic in this kind of big negative reaction you see, for example, from T Mobile but also Verizon.
Speaker 10: I think the logic is that, you know, in the US, the market for wireless service is pretty well carved up between three major players in a Hoverizon, T Mobile, and AT and T prices are relatively steady.
Speaker 7: The thought is if Amazon.
Speaker 10: Comes in, you know, essentially rents one of those wireless networks, then offers to undercut the company that they're dealing with them now that means hypothetically less or less revenue for the rest.
Speaker 7: Of the table.
Speaker 2: What's interesting, though, is one space Amazon hasn't really managed to make headwinders in as hardware, right, Is it ultimately going to give up the fact that you know, you'll still be using an Apple Phone or a Google Pixel, but you'll be using it viar on Amazon carrying service.
Speaker 7: That's certainly impossible.
Speaker 10: And I also, despite Amazon's you know, eye profile failure to catch fire with their own firephone, excuse the punouldn't count them out as a hardware maker too. There's always rumors coming out of Amazon that they might be kicking around the idea of bringing.
Speaker 7: Something like that back.
Speaker 10: But yeah, it would be definitely a weird look to see somebody, you know, looking up a chix l something to do an Amazon wireless And let's.
Speaker 4: Just talk about hardware for a moment.
Speaker 2: Alexa or the data they're in of that particular hardware amazing story that also you're on. Thirty thousand Amazon workers.
Speaker 4: Had access to the Alexa data, we understand, that's right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, between twenty eighteen and twenty nineteen, the USFTC says thirty thousand people at Amazon could play your voice recordings, which seems like an awful lot. And maybe the more worrying part is the FTC allege, is that half of those folks didn't need access to that for their job. Many of those people didn't even work on Alexa products, So kind of a worrying indication about Amazon's internal data controls on really the most intimate stuff they have about us, which is our voice recordings.
Speaker 3: All right, I think it's simply nice Matt Day for that reporting out of Seattle.
Speaker 7: Pappa Inc.
Speaker 3: Is a popular eldercare startup that's been pegged as a task rabbit for seniors, where contractors provide.
Speaker 7: Home assistance services.
Speaker 3: Think of it as like an Uber or a lyft, a gig economy, but in the field of elder care. But recent findings from Bloomberg reveal a dark and troubling experience for some of its users. Joining me on set for more on her story from Bloomberg BusinessWeek is preer anand you gave some troubling examples of interaction between contractors that were employeed essentially through this app, and the elderly they were giving care to. But in the first instance, I'd never heard of Papa before. This is a company that's raised money at a high valuation.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 11: You might not have heard of PAPA, but plenty of people on Medicare advantage Medicaid have heard of PAPA. Employer plans are also offering this as a service, so they're employees who are caregivers for their elderly parents. And this company has been valued at one point four billion by investors including Reddit co founder Alexis o'hannians, South Bank, Tiger Global. They've raised two hundred and forty million from investors, and they've racked up contracts with some of the largest insurers in the country like Signa, Humana, Etna.
Speaker 3: You reported in that BusinessWeek story some of the scale of PAPA in terms of revenue, the number of hours of care had given some of those facts. By the way, the company disputed that didn't give us any up to date or other figures. That's to explain in basics how PAPA works, what the idea behind it was.
Speaker 11: It essentially brings the gig economy to eldercare. The company says that they've created a whole new category of care by taking out some of the more nursing related things that home health aids normally take care of.
Speaker 4: In a home for an elderly person.
Speaker 11: So let's say you're an elderly person, you don't have any help at home. You need help Bernnie Erond's going to the grocery store, maybe doing your laundry, folding clothes. The idea is you can call someone from Papa. They'll come, maybe chat with you, help you feel less lonely, if that's a concern of yours, and you get those hours for free from your health insurance plan.
Speaker 4: In a lot of.
Speaker 2: Cases, certainly in our particular age range. At the moment, I'm fortunate enough to think more about the carers of my younger children than my elderly parents. But that fear is always within me when I leave my child with someone who I haven't met before because I need an emergency backup care. Now, the story Prier just heart wrenching. Some of these. I mean, was it twelve hundred confidential complaint reports logged by Popper over the past four years and dozens of allegations, one involving rate that you bring to bear. But there's sexual harassment, assault, And actually it's not just the pals.
Speaker 4: The people contract is coming in.
Speaker 2: Sometimes it's the pappas, the elderly who are behaving badly too. Is this coming down to a lack of control? Is this coming down to lack of training?
Speaker 7: What is it?
Speaker 4: From your reporting?
Speaker 11: The company disputed any characterizations that it is lacks on safeguards and lacks on safety measures, But our reporting shows that their background checks have had incidents far through the cracks were someone who's had a conviction has actually been able to become an independent contractor through their service and visit an elderly person leading to an incident.
Speaker 4: And they say they.
Speaker 11: Do background checks, but at the end of the day, the training provided is very little. So for home health aa AS Medicare rules require seventy five hours of training, but because PAPA strips away the nursing aspect of that, there's no bathing, there's no toileting, you're not really supposed to touch the person when you go to their home. You're supposed to just provide help with household tasks and companionship. There aren't any training requirements, and so the company's training is essentially a short video that pal's watch and then they're able to go to homes.
Speaker 2: And you highlight a lot of those previous workers who felt that there were issues with the business. Ultimately, though, nursing for the elderly has been woeful in many no.
Speaker 4: Matter what way it served.
Speaker 2: We just think back to the understaffing of nursing homes during the pandemic. I mean horrific some of the things have happened. Do you think ultimately this is something that company is looking to take the financiers the money behind this, ensuring that this is a business that tackles these problems and can ultimately solves a really big problem for many families.
Speaker 4: The company says.
Speaker 11: It takes safety very seriously and that safety related complaints from both the elderly members who rely on Poppy and its workers account for less than one percent of incidents. But we did find in our reporting reviewing, as you mentioned, more than twelve hundred complaints court records, that there have been instances when those measures have still things have fallen through the cracks, incidents have occurred, and things that have occurred in some cases on a repeat basis, harassment on both sides. Because the company has shared direct phone numbers, We've found a number of incidents where there were repeat occurrences and seemingly incidents that if someone had noticed a prior conviction may have been preventable.
Speaker 4: Of course we have.
Speaker 2: You have requested interviews from the CEO, Andrew Parker, and from the investors, and in large part they've declined to comment thus far. But prier and thank you very much indeed for bringing us what is an extraordinary story on BusinessWeek.
Speaker 3: Early door Dashbacker Pair VC is closed a new four hundred and thirty two million dollar fund for early stage investing. The firm's fourth fund will continue pairs generalist strategy of investing across sectors including life sciences, healthcare, consumer climate, and artificial intelligence. Of course, Mar Hirschinson is Pairs founding managing partner.
Speaker 7: Joins me now and set in San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Four hundred and thirty two million dollars early stage. Are you going to be writing a lot of checks or a check's getting bigger?
Speaker 4: I think it's a combination of both.
Speaker 12: The checks have been getting bigger over the last five years. And we've also grown our investment team from two people two years ago, I mean ten years ago to now twelve people in our investment team.
Speaker 3: It's a broad range of target industries. I actually wonder how much of that is in the physical world versus software.
Speaker 4: Most of it is software.
Speaker 12: You know, we're very you know focused on business at scale, and a lot of that you know, has to do with software, although we do have some you know, semiconductor beds you know that are more in the physical world.
Speaker 2: Well, what's fascinating about the companies you've chosen to back is the diversity of their leadership. A lot of female founders, diverse founders. Are There still a lot of companies being grown by diverse founders at the moment, because we know that when Silicon Valley Bank pulled back, when ultimately the economy pulled back, it's been harder for diverse founders to raise funds.
Speaker 12: I think diverse founders are you know, we have like a forty one percent of our portfolios female founders, and they are amazing entrepreneurs. I think they need a little big bit more of a nudge to move to move ahead with their fundraising.
Speaker 4: But they've been you know, they are.
Speaker 12: Even within the downturn, it's muchas you know, it's much better right now than when I got started thirty years ago, almost for diverse founders.
Speaker 2: So it's all relative, right, and there speaks the fact that you have founder experience, both you and your co founder. That was sort of your emo, the dive, the way in which you stood.
Speaker 4: Out from the crowd. How are you nudging.
Speaker 2: Your own founders right now, particularly in the world of AI. How are you ensuring the your portfolio companies you already have, are insuring they're not going to get disrupted, that their lunch isn't gonna be eaten.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, I think the message that for founders, no matter what, it's always like focused on the metrics that matter, work really hard to achieve those and forget the noise.
Speaker 4: It's the same in AI.
Speaker 12: You know, we've been in the valley for like I said, almost thirty years. So I saw the Web one, the Web Revolution, mobile, and now AI. It's almost the same dynamics. Right Initially there's going to be a lot of noise and excitement and eventually there's going to be some massive companies that will be created. So we are telling our founders to keep their eyes on the ball, you know, on those long term wins, not on the short term wins.
Speaker 7: You raises the question of how quickly you raise the funds? Was AI always your goal?
Speaker 3: Did you have to pivot take advantage of LP interest.
Speaker 7: Do you see what I mean?
Speaker 4: Yeah, No, no, not at all.
Speaker 12: You know, I think we're a general is fun the same we do AI. It's just some part of what we do. Right, there's a lot of life sciences, healthcare, et cetera. But I want to make a point that AI is truly a horizontal technology, meaning that it can be it's going to be applied to all industries. It's almost like, you know, you couldn't be a company and not have a web presence or a mobile strategy, et cetera. Same with any industry that we're going into. So for our existing founders that are you know that perhaps started the company before chat GPT, which is when the population became aware of AI, we're telling them, hey, there's new technology.
Speaker 4: You should be adopting this as we go. And same with al peace.
Speaker 12: I mean, our job is to be you know, give the right advice or current porfoli and be ahead of what's coming.
Speaker 3: Right, So, so all temper expectations right there, there is sort of enough impetus. I mean, you call yourselves generalists. Think about life science, is climate and arsfisial intelligence? What about the inbound are you receiving many more pitches from AI than others.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it has changed dramatically.
Speaker 12: I mean you could say even twelve months ago or eighteen months ago, the volume of inbound from crypto was really really high.
Speaker 4: That's almost gone down to zero.
Speaker 12: And today you know the inbound from AI is very high. So it's climate, right, is what founders care about. I do think you know this AI? Like I was mentioning, if you started any software company today as a founder, you would probably be thinking about how do I incorporate AI into my company? So whether you know when when you're at the application layer, we're going to keep seeing.
Speaker 4: More and more of this AI companies.
Speaker 2: Not wishing to for you to give away your secret source, mom, but the founders you find, how are you searching that? I know you go to dorms, you've caught sort of the way in which you get students on board. But where geographically are these founders? You come from Spain, you're the co founder originally coming from Iran as well. How you diversifying the kind of people that you're managing to find to build these companies?
Speaker 12: Yeah, we have various I mean I think sourcing or finding the right founders and venture is very intentional, so we have We're not sitting in a chair waiting for people to show up with this inbounds. You know, we're out there trying to find them. We run multiple programs, perhaps storm of our most well known programs are Pair Dorm, which is where we spend a lot of time in universities trying to find those great, high potential founders that can go off and start companies. Forty percent of our portfolio will come from those founders. And this is a you know, this is how pair started. You know, it's not it was not immediately obvious ten years ago.
Speaker 4: They should be able.
Speaker 12: You should actually build a firm and go on proactively source those kinds of founders. In the last couple of years, we've put together a program targeting female engineers. It's called Female Founder Circles. Has actually been extremely successful, where you know, we form community for female engineers that before they're out there starting their company. We've done four cohorts and within the first three cohorts, out of one hundred and five women, we've had nearly sixty companies come up with that have raised significancy.
Speaker 3: So that's you know, I do want your secret source. I'm sorry, I want you to talk about it right now. So you invested in DoorDash early, DoorDash was a success.
Speaker 7: How did you identify them?
Speaker 12: Well, you know, I think the DoorDash story is really interesting. It's part of our how Pair works. My partner Pesman and I started Pair. We're both very different ying and Yang. He had been an angel for many years. I was an operator, and we came together to actually uh form Pair, which is more than an investment.
Speaker 4: We're helping to build companies.
Speaker 12: Peschemont met Tony and reached out to me and said, mar I met this founder.
Speaker 4: He's amazing. We should back him. And I said, what does he do? Uh? He said, uh, food delivery. I said, oh my gosh, not food delivery. That's a really.
Speaker 12: Complex, highly operational business.
Speaker 4: We're not gonna do that. He said, no, no, no, you have to meet him.
Speaker 12: So I actually spent a lot of time diligencing the company, walking up and down University Avenue and talking to every restaurant owner or manager and asking them why and uh, you know, a lot of what they said is, oh my gosh, he's changed my business, and Tony's amazing. And then Peschma and I spent a couple of hours with the whole founding team, and Tony was actually perhaps the only CEO that instead of slides, he just goes to a whiteboard and tells you why this is gonna be a great company. And he said it was not gonna be a food delivery company. He was building the largest last mile delivery company. So even then, early on he had a vision that wasn't clear, and that was super clear for him.
Speaker 2: Mah, great hearing some of the secret sauce and the way in which did you do diligence. Thank you so much, mar Hujinson of pair VC. Time now for talking tech. First up, Russia accusing the United States intelligence hacking thousands of iPhones, including devices belonging to Russian nationals and others linked to diplomatic missions and embassies in the country. Russia's main security service was scant on details and didn't identify which US intelligence agency was actually behind the alleged attacks. Meanwhile, look, it's a bit of a revolving door again. Over at Twitter, the Twitter executive in charge of content moderation and policy has resigned.
Speaker 4: Ella Erlin.
Speaker 2: Erwin was one of Musk's most loyal employees and helped oversee Twitter's policies on harassment, on hate, on speech, and violent content. Now Erwin confirmed her departure in an email earlier this hour. In fact, Wall Street Journal also reported twhich is a head of brand safety as Aj Brown, also departing. Plus, Apple is working on plans to expand and revitalize its retail chain. The company is aiming to push deeper into China and other parts of Asia, while overhauling established locations in the US and Europe.
Speaker 4: Now Iva maker aims to add about fifty.
Speaker 2: New or rebuilt stores through twenty twenty seven, including locations in Shanghai and in London.
Speaker 3: Ed Let's stick with Apple, Caro. The Bloomberg Mark German preview of Apple WWDC is out on the Bloomberg website in term or let's bring in Mark German for more.
Speaker 7: Top of the list.
Speaker 3: The highlight of WWDC the mixed reality headset.
Speaker 7: What are we expecting? Ed Caroline, thank you for having me.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 13: So on Monday, June fifth, this is going to be Apple's biggest launch event in about a decade since they launched.
Speaker 7: The Apple Watch.
Speaker 13: In the first large stream iPhones, the entree like you said for Monday, a mixed reality headset, likely to be called the Reality Pro or the Apple XR Pro. This is going to be Apple's new product category. They think it's going to start off slow but eventually become a hit with consumers and really be the future of the computer.
Speaker 7: It's going to.
Speaker 13: Blend augmented reality and virtual reality. It'll let you do everything you do today on an iPad or iPhone or a Mac in three D. You'll control it all with your face, your eyes, in your hands, and it's really going to give Meta and some of the other headset makers like HCC a huge run for their money. Apple believes the category doesn't really exist today and they're going to be creating the mixed reality category. And I tend to believe in this.
Speaker 2: Product, okay, and a lot of your stories dedicated to it.
Speaker 4: We've got thirty seconds, mark.
Speaker 2: What else do you do you mind about?
Speaker 4: That's going to go on? Yeah, I'll give you the other highlights.
Speaker 13: One Mac two software, so the Mac you'll see new high end max studios of the new M two Ultra chip. They've also been planning to unveil the new MacBook Air fifteen inch. There software side big revamp to watch os, the Apple Watch software with widgets, iOS seventeen, iPadOS seventeen and new Mac software.
Speaker 2: He did it, he always does, Mark German from Bloomberg. And you know we're not going to end the conversation here, Mark, We're going to be jumping on Twitter spaces with Mark German, myself and Ed. That's happening in half an hour's time, so tune in for that. But meanwhile, that does it for this edition of Bloomberg Technology. We've got our podcast to catch up if we've missed it. From New York, from San Francisco, this is Bloomberg