Speaker 1: If you look at what major league managers make, there are some college baseball coaches that make more than some major league managers.
Speaker 2: Hey, we've got Scott Miller joining us right now. New York Times contributor and Fresh Book appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Uh yesterday, it actually hit the shelves yesterday. It became available, So Eddie, as they say wherever books are sold, or as we say today, Amazon dot com, Target dot com, Barnesandoble dot com, whatever.
Speaker 3: Or Scott Miller's gonna send me a free one because all those damn interviews I did, for all those years of them. So at some point I'm expecting an autograph copy to show up at my house.
Speaker 1: AJ, I'll be happy to I. Yeah, I knew AJ when he was a young up and comer with the Minnesota Twins when I was covering them.
Speaker 3: And your hair is a little different. What's our hair was a little diff Your hair was a little different, Scot back then.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And I don't know if you had a beard back then, but you know Tom.
Speaker 3: Kelly, Tom Kelly, there was no beards being allowed to Tom Kelly's world. You were no sunglasses, You weren't allowed to wear sunglasses. You weren't you had to wear your jersey. There was no like pullovers.
Speaker 1: Twins didn't pay for shaving cream.
Speaker 3: We had to buy our own fleeces. At one point, man Terry Ryan had to buy his own shorts. I mean, God knows all these story that's the best.
Speaker 1: I talked to TK for a while. He's in the book about managing during his time. AJ, you'll get a kick out of this. I wanted to talk to TK for many reasons. Tom Kelly managed the Twins back in the eighties and nineties, in eighty seven and ninety one or two World Series wins. So anyway, I covered TK and the Twins from ninety four to ninety nine. AJ came up during that time and we got to know each other a little bit. But anyway, one of the things I wanted to do in the book, among other things, shows how managing used to be and how it is now, was kind of comparing contrast the famous John Smoltz Game seven in nineteen ninety one World Series, the ten inning you know strong complete game performance against you know in twenty twenty, when Kevin Cash famously hooked Blake Snell early before he faced the Dodgers, lineup the third time and Kevin Cash, God bless him. He was great. I know he's tired of talking about the topic, but anyway, two extremes of how baseball used to be. Anyway, ajack back to the Tom Kelly things. So that's one thing I wanted to do in the book. So I called t K, and I thought, I haven't been through Minnesota in a while. I always preferred doing interviews in person because it's just better than you know, on the phone. So I called TK a couple of years, you know, when I started this project, and he answers and he and I ended up. We had a good relationship, even though he could be cantankerous. So I tell TK what the issue is or what I'm looking for to try to talk to him. I said, I'd love to come to the Twin Cities, you know, sit down over lunch, maybe spend some time with you talking about managing. And Tom Kelly says, Scottie, I don't even talk to my wife that much. I don't want to have lunch. You don't need to come to the Twins City. Now I'm like, oh, man, I really want to tell you. So we keep talking and he says Finally, he says, I don't even know why i'd want to help somebody write a book anyway. Oh my god, I'm losing it, you know. I'm like, oh, and so I give him my best pitch. I'm like, Tom, you won two World Series in nineteen eighty seven and nineteen ninety one. You were a great manager. But you know, all the publicity, all the pub comes out of the East coast New York or the West coast. I said, I really would like to have you in my book. So we talked a little bit more. Finally he says, all right, I don't know why I'm gonna say it. I'll help you, he said, but I can give you a few minutes if you want to call me next week. So we agree on Monday, he's golfing in the morning. I'll call around noon. Okay, great. I call him three and a half hours on the phone. He was superb.
Speaker 3: Oh boy, of course, that's it's such TK. I mean, I could tell you I told the story before.
Speaker 4: TK.
Speaker 3: I never knew I made the major leagues until Tom Kelly had a conversation with me where he wasn't like telling me how I'm crappy.
Speaker 4: I was he just came up to you one day.
Speaker 3: In my locker. He was like, Hey, you're gonna be in the fantasy football league.
Speaker 4: This is like.
Speaker 3: June, and I was like, I made it.
Speaker 4: He actually talked to me like a normal human.
Speaker 1: Yes, if you're there, I'm doing okay.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's how managing used to be. Though. I told to Dan Peatree, who played He was the number two pitcher Jack Morris's number one for the nineteen eighty four Tigers World CERTA his team and Sparky Anderson was similar. I mean, we all know Sparky either by reputation or dealing with him as being this affable guy, but he didn't want to get to know his players. Partly, he used to say, because I know one day I'm going to have to release them or trade them, and it's going to be too painful, so I don't want to know them. And anyway, Dan Petrie told me he pitched for Sparky. He said when he first came up, he said, we were scared the death of Sparky. He said. The only time you ever went into Sparky's office was a if he's going to send you down to the minor leagues or b if he was going to chew your ass over something that happened in the game. He said he never stopped by to say good job, and he said, I never wanted to talk to Sparky. I just wanted to keep letting him do my job. And you know that's where you know, managing back then versus managing today is all about communicating with your players.
Speaker 2: Hey, for the card collectors out there, you need to know about Arena Club. You can check out our showrooms. We've all got cards in there. You can buy, you can sell, you can trade, and you can rip packs. They're called slab packs crafts. And then what happens If you don't like what you pulled.
Speaker 4: You get an instant offer, you get an insidt offer. But before you get that insid offer, you can show your showroom around, kind of like when I used to put the cards in the sleeves and my buddies will come over and show them. Now, bang, show them on the phone. Instant offers right there if I need.
Speaker 2: It, Yep, that instant offer is for the estimated fair market value. Accept it on the spot. Acquire the best value for your money with slab packs, transparent checklists and Arena Club's slab Safe program. Whether you're buying, selling, trading, grading, or ripping packs, Arena Club is the safest, most trusted in the game. Right now, you can get twenty percent off your first slab pack or card purchase by going to Arena club dot com slash foul and use codefoul. That's Arena Club dot Com slash foul, code foul. So I want to make sure I hammer the name of the books and people can find it online available. Like Scott said, everywhere skipper, why baseball managers matter and always will. So let's fast forward to now, did you get into the state of managers in today's game, the psychology game, the way that they have to work with the front office on setting the lineup and any other kind of prep and why the manager still matters so much now even though they essentially have less power or have to spread the power around amongst the organization.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely kind of in a nutshell, Scott, the book is it starts in the late seventies when managers had all the power, you know, Billy Martin, Earl Weaver, Sparky Anderson. And also it starts in late seventies because that's when the very first rudimentary computers were available to the public. So I kind of that's why I picked them to start to kind of move from then to now as manager and the game change as computers moved into all of our lives and changed every aspect of it. So the book kind of goes looks at managing from the late seventies to now, what the job was like then, what it's like now, how we got from then to now, and why we got from then to now, and yeah, today's job. It's interesting what the job Aaron Boone is doing today in New York. If you just look at a list of Yankees managers, you know you'll see whatever Billy Martin, Bob Lemon, Joe Torrey, and on paper, that's the lineage. But the job Aaron Boone is doing in New York today as a manager is completely different than the job Joe Tory did or any other manager did back in the day. And that's true for all organizations.
Speaker 4: Did you find any crossovers. Did you find any manager like like Aaron Boone is now from back in the seventies and eighties, more of that like player kind of happy, go lucky, not as much of a hard ass or did you find anybody that's currently more like a Sparky Anderson or a Tom Kelly in the game dealing with a bunch of snowflake players.
Speaker 1: You know, I would say Jim Leland's a little bit like Sparky and Casey Stango from the standpoint of of remember famously in the early nineties when he and Barry Bonds got into it in spring training very publicly. And you know, for Jim Leland doesn't take any guff. Also, he's got that philosophical side where the way he speaks it just sounds like a wise philosopher. But you know that that would be one I would say, Eric. You know, the interesting thing is the question keeps coming up, could a guy managing today and name any one of the thirty man going right now, could he have managed back then? Or could like Earl Weaver manage today? And I think there are a handful of guys today probably could manage back then. I mean, you know, Bruce Bouchie obviously has proven his stripes. You know that that's that's a guy that that could manage. I think in any era, probably Dusty Baker, you know, Leland they're a handful of guys, but not a ton of them. And you know, Bochie told me in the book, you know, I asked him he kind of crosses a couple of different generations, and he said, the biggest change in his job is when he first started managing. He said, I used to when I first started managing the job, I would tell players what to do. He said, Now, as I manage it, you can't just tell players what to do. Now it requires an explanation. You know, Hey, I need you to do this for this reason, or hey, this is this is why we're we're wanting you to do this. Uh, you know, kind of got to come. You know, I don't know if Eric you I love I love you, said snowflake players. And there are different different different feelings there. But yeah, managers today have to be so much more better at communicating with their players and relationships than old school managers did. And you know, I think, you know, you look at managing today and Sandy Alderson, I talked to executives as well as managers as well as players and ex players, you know, trying to get a handle on all of it. And Sandy Alderson said, managing today in your tool bag. You've got to have a handful of skill set that guys forty years ago didn't need, you know. And that's where the difference has come in about why the job is different today then back then.
Speaker 4: Big news was made when Craig Council got his forty million dollar contract to leave a division rival and go manage the Cubs. Dave Roberts has since eclipsed his annual value. But should they be paid more? Should they be paid With the way the player's salary is going up, managerial salaries have not kept up.
Speaker 1: No, you're right. That's a great point. And I did talk to Craig Counsel in the book about that. And if you look at what major league managers make compared to NBA coaches, NFL coaches, even college football and basketball coaches, and believe it or not, there are some college baseball coaches like Tim Corbin, the great coach at Vanderbilt, that make more than some major league managers do. Major league manager salaries have been depressed for years, and it's amazing because you all know, I don't have to tell you what a long season it is and almost required, you know, not just managing. Obviously, the games and the obvious things that go with it. But you know these guys today, especially take Dave Roberts in Los Angeles. I mean, you know, he gets pulled as if he's made of taffy. He's got to deal with the players, he's got to work with a baseball front baseball operations department that wants him to do certain things. One day, the marketing department of the Dodgers may come in and said, hey, we need you to speak at a statue dedication ceremony. Or when Vin Scully retired, after Vin's last game, there's Dave out on the field kind of being mc is they lead a ceremony for Vin Scully. And there's so much today that goes into it. And yet you're right, they don't get paid very much relatively speaking. And you know Craig Council said, among other things, you know when he was in Milwaukee, he said, yeah, he said, every single day we got to do as baseball managers. We got to meet the press before the game, after the game. I mean, you talk one hundred and sixty two game season that my math isn't good. AJ may need to help me here. One hundred and sixty two games, pre and postgame. That's what that's. That's you know, three hundred and twenty some press conferences a year, let alone off days, spring training, on and on and on special when breaking news happens. And Consol said, whenever I bump into in the offseason, like the Green Bay Packers coach or the Milwaukee Bucks coach, he said that was that would be the one thing that would leave them shaking their heads. They're like, I don't know how you meet with the media that much. It's nuts.
Speaker 3: Agreed, agreed, But this is this is all to me, the declining power of a major league manager. He used to be the manager had all the power. I mean, manager Tom Kelly, Like we had Terry Ryan as our GM. Terry Ryan, honestly, yeah, he had power to make player moves. But Tom Kelly'd be like, I don't want him to come up, and I want I need a guy this, and Terry would say, all right, I'm gonna bring up Praszinski and Tom Kelly say, Nope, not him, I want anybody else, right, And that was a difference.
Speaker 4: It's changed.
Speaker 3: That's why the roles have kind of reversed, Like now it's GM has power.
Speaker 4: Managers a little bit. But it used to be.
Speaker 3: I mean, the manager was the end all be all of the baseball organization and they got paid like it Now it's kind of flip flop.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's good or bad.
Speaker 3: God, I'll let you tell me the answer to this question.
Speaker 4: Is it good or bad?
Speaker 1: You know, probably like anything else, not to give you a wishy washy answer. Ajay, it's probably. You know, there are probably some good aspects and some bad aspects. I mean, you know, one thing going way back, and I don't mean to date myself, and this actually was when I was a kid, but say, in nineteen seventy six, Mark the bird Fiedrich came up to the Tigers as a rookie, famously just took the game by storm. He is a rookie. He started the All Star Game that year, and he ended up getting hurt the next spring and he never reached those heights again. And I bring him up because that rookie year in nineteen seventy six, he threw like two hundred and fifty four innings. I mean it was nuts. You talk about innings limits and how that we watched pitchers like hawks today and so on. One hand. You know, Ralph Howell kept running him out there. It's probably good to have some guardrails on managers today in that you know, the front office steps into a degree and says, hey, we got to really take care. We don't want this guy throwing too many innings. If he goes from pitching seventy innings last year to two hundred and fifty innings this year, he's going to blow his arm out, which is what happened to Mark Fiederich's way back when. So it's to a degree probably good that there are some checks and balances on managers today. But on the flip side, yeah, it can be we create a dicey situation because you know right now, as fans, as media people like us, you know so many people. And that's why I ended up being interested in writing the books. So many people look and say, do managers even matter anymore? They're more like middle managers. You know, they've been neutered, and you know most of their influence now is in We hear so much about building a culture, a team culture, and communicating with players and kind of selling the front office's vision of the team. Manager has to kind of sell that to the players individually. You know, certainly a lot of the passion has taken out of the game. I think, you know, I mean, who didn't love Earl Weaver or Sparky Anderson or Billy Martin just going nuts on an umpire. I mean that would fire up a whole stadium, and you know, it kept the game interesting, and you know, with managing not being what it was, certainly I think it removes some of the soul and humanity from the game.
Speaker 2: Scott, we appreciate the time. The book sounds awesome, cannot wait to dive into it. I'm just going to give you a yes or no because we're at a time. Do you think that Pete Rose will be voted into the Hall? Would you have voted him into the Hall? So give me a yes or no on each one.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna say no. I don't think he will be I think it may take a while because I don't think executives and Hall of Famers that are voting will be ready right away to vote him. Man, and I would I think yesterday's ruling diminishes the integrity of the game to a degree.
Speaker 2: Nice Okay, obviously, AJ's on the same page. We spent a lot of time on that earlier Scott. Great to have you on. We'll have you back soon. Good luck with the book and we'll pump it again.
Speaker 4: I'll be waiting.
Speaker 3: I'll be waiting for my autograph cup, the best interview.
Speaker 1: A thank you, text me your address will be We'll be in touch. Thank you guys. Really enjoyed being with you.