Speaker 1: When you listen to yourself, like when you are re listening to the show to edit it. Do you sound so different you sound.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's honestly doing it for so long, it's changed hearing both of us. I get to keep telling myself, oh man, this doesn't sound like me. But then I listen to your voice and it sounds exactly like I hear you. So I think that, oh, okay, well then I must sound like I sound. But also, sometimes, just in the world, just your own voice, I think it can get away from you. And if I not, if I'm not paying attention to how I'm speaking, if I'm not putting some effort into the voice that I want to have right, then sometimes it's like your posture slumping and link your voice agains really lazy and gross.
Speaker 3: That's true sometimes like now my throat, sit up, speak normally, not three your nows, and actually this is I would say, this is closer to my normal natural voice data day.
Speaker 2: Now, this is this is how I sat.
Speaker 1: That's your very white impression, very white, very white wishes, very white wishes. That's that's your single, very white Wishes. Sing a few lines of your new single, very White Wishes.
Speaker 2: I went down to the store.
Speaker 1: Oh, and I.
Speaker 2: Bought myself some more socks because my feet were getting big.
Speaker 4: And I went back to my house and I put on both those socks, and I also put on my hot pink wig, and then I danced around the room and I said, hey, look at me.
Speaker 2: But no one else was around. So I was a lone kale. And I jumped and screamed and sang, and I took a bell and I rang until all the neighbors came up to my door. You know what's that to do?
Speaker 1: Very white was funky? Okay, what is this country song you singing?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm in the I'm in a country song mood.
Speaker 1: I guess today, I guess.
Speaker 2: So talk about transitions. We're getting right into it because we are in. We're in. We're in the South today in Tennessee, Kentucky. Oh wow, Ashville.
Speaker 1: Bluegrass and Banjo's.
Speaker 2: Classic seventies, eighties, nineties country pop music. Dinah, what's your relationship to country music? We don't really talk about this because I don't think either us has much of one.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't have much one, although I have a lot of family from Kentucky. Yeah, So there are a lot of bluegrass lovers, a lot of gospel records going on in Grandma's house, and mom Mom loves that stuff here.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I did always like Johnny Cash sure like old school country. I never really liked pop country. That never appealed to me. I will say, after watching Oh Brother, We're I loved that soundtrack. Yeah, I did. Played that soundtrack a lot.
Speaker 2: That got us all into like old timey bluegrass, right like we were all like, give me them down by the river gospel music.
Speaker 1: Yo, I want the soggy bottom boys, but I want to I want to party. Let's put on the soggy Bottom boys.
Speaker 2: Similarly like I love that Oh Brother style, you know, real old timey, scratchy vinyl record, big rock, candy mountain kind of stuff. For me, I would say my strongest relationship to country music is also very old, not quite as old, but forties fifties. I think, like Marty Robbins, like cowboy music, word out in the out in the Old West, and honest, I'll be fully honest, this kid was born out of playing Fallout New Vegas, huh, because the soundtrack to that game is a lot of old cowboy music. Yeah, and and there was playing in the background. I think Big Iron was one of the big songs that played in that game a lot on the radio, and I was like, this is kind of a pop what's going on here with Marty Robbins And I just when I drove for the first time by myself out west, when I hit the desert, I was like, this is what I'm putting on. And I put on like a playlist and was just jamming to these old, you know, old cowboy country hits.
Speaker 1: Thank Williams je Sure that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I really connected to it. And now whenever I'm in the desert, I feel like I need to listen to that music makes sense.
Speaker 1: I was just about to say this. I will never say that I dislike an entire genre of music right because I don't think music works that way. I feel like music is so much about your mood and your surroundings and what kind of mood you want to be in. Fully, I'm not gonna if I'm just like pulling up Spotify clean in the house, I'm not going to choose country music. But there's a time and a place where that's the only thing you need to have on or else. It just doesn't. It just a fits so well. It makes you feel like, I don't know, like driving through the desert. It's like you have the right soundtrack.
Speaker 2: I've seen you kick down a door and take out an entire gang of like drug dealers and thieves and you put on like def Leppard, you know it, Yeah, and it's it's perfect.
Speaker 1: What else?
Speaker 2: I think that's pretty cool. I mean, you're you're always like doing wall kicks and like flipping and you know, knocking down three dudes at a time one and you've got some serious heavy metal going on. Ye, it works. I totally get it. Well, we should get into it because today's episode, obviously we're talking about country music. This episode was born out of a simple, little brief, not even three sentence message on Instagram from our listener, Courtney May Klaus at CM Klaus eight thirty on Instagram. And side note, I cannot say the name Klaus without saying Klaus Klaus because it's just it sounds like it should be that so Courtney message us simply saying, listen to the story of Sha and the story of the Butterfly sounds an awful lot like the song Whiskey Lullaby once you said beneath the Willow Tree. And as people who don't know a lot about especially pop country music, we figured, all right, let's look up this song. It's Brad Paisley and Alison Krause called Whiskey Lullaby. I'm like, oh, a duet. Are they a couple? No, they're not. So I'm like, all right, well, nevermind, maybe there's nothing here. But as I'm just sort of glancing at the lyrics of this song, I come to find out that one of the writers, John Randall, was inspired for some of the lyrics to this song by his very challenging divorce from country singer Laurie Morgan. And whenever either of us I think finds out that two people were married or divorced, were like, wait a minute, is this an episode? Was it ridiculous? You know? Well, it turns out, my friends, that country legend Laurie Morgan was married no less than six times, and it does get pretty ridiculous there for a minute.
Speaker 1: So Country music King Henry, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much, Courtney, because from that little offhanded reference to a song, you've given us a full episode. Hey, kloud, let's dive in find out about Lauri Morgan, her six husbands and the devastating divorce that would lead to a country hits.
Speaker 1: Let's get on this horse and rat hey their friends come listen. Well, Eli and Diana got some stories to tell. There's no matchmaking o romantic tips. It's just about ridiculous relationships.
Speaker 2: I love.
Speaker 1: There might be any type of person at all, an abstract concept or a concrete wall. But if there's a story, We're the second Glance and show Ridiculous Romance, A production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: All right. Lori Morgan. She was born in nineteen fifty nine. Her father was famed country legend George Morgan. Now this is my kind of music because George was known as a country crooner. So he had a voice like a rat pack Vegas lounge singer, right, just real smooth, deep voice, beautiful singer. But he put this talents into country songs. Now, his daughter, Laurie was born in fifty nine, and her full name was Loretta Lynn Morgan. And of course everyone is thinking, well, she was named after my favorite country legend, Loretta Lynn. Yeah, corect But actually Laurie was born in nineteen fifty nine, Loretta Lynn did not come to Nashville to get famous until about nineteen sixty one, so she was just named that by coincidence. In fact, Laurie was on Larry King's show doing an interview and she said that Loretta Lynn always referred to her as her namesake, which she was very proud of, of course, but that's not really the case. It was just kind of a naming coincidence, just a good sound in country name.
Speaker 1: I guess, Rede Lynn just a popular name at the reta Lynn.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: She got welcomed into the country music biz in nineteen seventy two when she performed with her dad at the Grand Ole Opry at just thirteen years old. Laurie and her dad, George sang the song paper Roses Together, which had first been recorded by Anita Bryant innineteen sixty. Okay, and like side note, we're just gonna go ahead and call Anita Bryant this week's villain of the week because in the nineteen seventies she's the bit you made it her business to protests against gay rights.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: She was also one of the first public figures to get pied in the face. There you go, take that Anita. The pie thrower was Tom L. Higgins, who is the author and gay rights activist who coined the term gay pride.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so.
Speaker 1: Thanks Anita Bryant. You helped a few thousand people learn more about gay history today.
Speaker 2: There you go. What a legacy your life, schoal. I didn't know who coined the term gay pride. I thought it was just always out there. Oh.
Speaker 1: Also another thing about Anita Bryant, because I like dunking on her. Vincent Price once said in a TV interview that Oscar Wild's play A Woman of No Importance must be about Nita Bryant.
Speaker 2: He Vince Price's the best. Also, apparently Johnny Carterson like every week, had on any to Bryant dunk. Yes, Johny was relentless making fun of her.
Speaker 1: I love that, Thank you, Johnny. Also in twenty twenty one, Anita's granddaughter, Sarah Green, announced that she was engaged to a woman and was having a hard time deciding if she should invite her grandmother to the Sarah Moon. So all the best to Sarah. I hope your wedding was lovely and Anita.
Speaker 2: Free anyway, So Laurie Morgan and her dad George sang Paper Roses and they got a standing ovation at the grand O Lobry, but sadly, just three years later, her father died after complications from heart surgery. Now Laurie she's sixteen. She went on to tour with members from his band and eventually she went to work for the publishing firm Acuff Rose Music as a receptionist and a demo singer, and in nineteen seventy nine this led to her singing with Hickory Records and she put out two singles, Two People in Love and tell Me I'm Only Dreaming, and these both charted with Billboard's Hot Country Songs. But by the end of the year she had also released I'm Completely Satisfied with You, and this was a duet that she made with her father using archived vocals of his and like some some new fangled electronic manipulation supposed to be real sweet and this also made the charts. And then she started touring with nightclubs. She was opening for musicians who, if you know country, are big names like Jack Green, Genie Seely, and Billy Thundercloud, who I found out was a First Nations Canadian country singer. Cool name yeah, he had the first full First Nations band and they were all like or at least, you know, on the charts or something like that, but they were all they all they were pretty famous.
Speaker 1: You think using someone's archived vocals to do a duet with controversial like them, like in the AI John Lennon thing.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't know. I don't know because I don't find the John Lennon thing to be that controversial myself because they're not generating. It's not like Lennon never took part in this song. They found a song that he did record and used AI to like make it sound good, right, right.
Speaker 1: So the name is like a hologram John Lennon walking out and being like, eat tostitos.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, Oh, everybody eat tostitos. Delicious. Here's a day in the life of me. First, I started the day with delicious, lucky charms.
Speaker 1: Damn John Lennon. That's when you get mad. We need to get mad. Is when they start to make John Lennon say some shit they would never say.
Speaker 2: Imagine all the people drinking fool just coffee.
Speaker 1: Okay, back to Laurie. Sorry, I'm going all over place. So at twenty years old, Laurie Morgan started touring as a backup vocalist for international country superstar George Jones.
Speaker 2: I've heard that name sure.
Speaker 1: While she was there, she met another young up and comer named Sammy Kershaw, and they flew. You know, they probably had a little fling on the you know, a little some something, but it was nothing serious because Laurie's real focus was on George Jones's bassist, a young man named Ron Gaddis, and when he met Laurie, his baseline hit a solid country group or something. I don't know, I don't know bass country music based terms. Okay, he he, He plucked her string just right.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Anyway, so she and Ron Gaddis hit it off and they got married late in nineteen seventy nine. No, it's not much known about their marriage. They did have a daughter together, named Morgan Anastasia Gaddis. Anastasia was Laurie's mother's full name. But unfortunately their marriage only lasted about two years and it ended in divorce, and we don't know how or why, or like what happened to Ron after, but Laurie's career continued to grow. In nineteen eighty four, At twenty five years old, she became the youngest inductee of the Grand Ole Opry and the next year she met Keith whitt So.
Speaker 2: Keith Whitley is another country star making huge waves and when they started dating in nineteen eighty five, they were like the ultimate country music power couple, right. The speed like today non country comparison is like Billie Eilish and you know, one of the one of the one of the one of the one of the one of the one the of the uh uh a stroke.
Speaker 1: You can't think of a single name.
Speaker 2: No, I've got it. It's the band the K pop guys. Oh the b yeah BTS, one of the Billie Eilish and a BTS. Those are comparable aged people, right, sure, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Don't know.
Speaker 2: Damn, we're so lame when it comes to music. We're like, we're not that into country music. But otherwise we also know nothing about pop music, all right, So anyway, it was a big deal, is all. I'm getting that here.
Speaker 1: You could have just said jay Z and Beyonce.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it wasn't that big though.
Speaker 1: Too much. That's okay, that's too far. No one's like jay Z and Beyonce except Jay Z freak exactly.
Speaker 2: How dare I est? All right? So big country power couple. But Keith had kind of a rough life up to this point. He grew up in Sandy Hook, Kentucky, which is in a dry county, lots of dry counties in Kentucky. You can't buy alcohol there. And what happens is some of the teenagers there who are in the rural Kentucky where I don't know if you know, but there's not a lot to do, so they start trying to fill their time by drinking bootleg whiskey. You know, some moonshine out of a jar in the backyard somewhere, and they would race their cars around the Kentucky mountains, which, obviously, while drinking, is a bad combination. Once Keith was riding shotgun in a car with his friend, and his friend, who was driving, tried to pull a turn at one hundred and twenty miles an hour. While the car wrecked and his friend, the driver, was killed. Keith himself nearly broke his neck and barely survived the accident. Keith also once drove a car off a cliff into a frozen river. He managed to only break his collar bone this time. But in nineteen eighty three, Keith's brother Randy and his father Elmer died in a motorcycle accident.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: So just a lot of challenges, tragedy, pain, heartbreak, and despite all this success, which I'm sure fueled a lot of his music, Keith was battling with alcoholism his whole life and depression I'm sure as well.
Speaker 1: But he and Laurie tied the knot in nineteen eighty six. A year in they had a son named Jesse Keith Whitley, and Keith even adopted Laurie's daughter, Morgan from her previous marriage with the bassist. Both of their careers worre skyrocketing. Keith had been recording songs for a new album, but he kind of felt like they weren't up to his standards, so he went to RCA. He asked if they could scrab everything and just start over and let him have, you know, more creative control with the writing and the producing of the music.
Speaker 2: Right, most country music is written by other people than the singers.
Speaker 1: One of the time he's like, let you know, this ain't hidden. I want to let me let me drive this train, and they agreed.
Speaker 2: Which is surprising. That's bold for them to He must have had some real sway shows.
Speaker 1: Hey, that shows must be you know, he must have been making good money. Yeah, so they said, all right, And in nineteen eighty eight he was topping the country charts with songs like I'm No Stranger to the Rain, Oh and don't close your e's.
Speaker 2: Off the top of your head. Do you know any of the lyrics to I'm No Stranger to the Rain that you could sing us Diana? Sure?
Speaker 1: Yeah, please, Well, I don't know well bow sunshine. Oh, I don't know well about blow Oh, but I know all about thunder because I'm No Stranger to the Rain.
Speaker 2: Totally see why that topped the charts. Beautiful can you? Hey, Hey, I've got it on looping that for the rest of the night.
Speaker 1: It's a very good song.
Speaker 2: No, no about flowers anyway, all right.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, Laurie Morgan had signed with RCAs well. She put out her first single with them in late nineteen eighty eight, and then in nineteen eighty nine she started touring to promote her debut album Leave.
Speaker 2: The Light On, Oh Lovely, and so this would have been the first time that she went out to like tour on her own name to sell her own music. But on May ninth, just two days before this album was released, Keith Whitley woke up. He made a phone call to his mother and he had breakfast with his brother in law Lane, Lane was going to take him golfing and then in the evening, Keith was planning to sit down and work on songs for him and Laurie to sing together when she got back. Because Laurie was still on tour and while she was gone, she asked Lane to keep an eye on Keith. And this was the first time that they'd been apart for a long time since they got married, and she knew enough about Keith, you know, with his depression, with his alcoholism, to be worried about him being all alone all of a sudden. Laane dropped Keith off at home at eight thirty am and said he would pick him back up in an hour for golf. When he got back to Keith's place, Lane found Keith face down on the bed, unresponsive. He was rushed to the hospital but pronounced dead at the age of thirty four. The medical examiner said Keith's blood alcohol level was zero point four to seven, which they said is the equivalent of drinking thirteen shots of high proof whiskey back to back.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Laurie of course was crushed, and she actually spent the next few years dead dedicated to preserving Keith's memory and his contributions to country music, and in nineteen eighty four, in an interview, she said, quote, at this point in my life, if I met another Keith Whitley, I would walk away because I don't think I could handle it. But as far as him being the one, yeah, I think we could have lasted forever.
Speaker 1: Oh that's so.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Get a sense for how challenging it probably was. She's like, I don't think I could handle it. No, someone who's very famous and powerful and also very depressed and an alcoholic. That's got to be really challenging.
Speaker 1: Well, and you know, from her perspective, she's thinking of all of everything while he was alive, and also having to deal with him dying that way. Like I think she's like also saying, I can't do that again. I cannot be told my brother called me and is telling me that my husband's unrespondiyeh, and all this stuff. Yeah, right, Like that would be really hard to go through once, but.
Speaker 2: It was definitely not her last whirlwind row Man. It's in fact, that's just number two of her six marriages. So we're gonna come back. They do keep getting crazier and crazier. We'll take a quick break. We'll be right back right after this. Welcome back to the show, y'all. We had some good commercials. Now they're done and we're good. Keep on telling you this story. Unfortunately it doesn't end with the good. Oh that is spoiler alert. There's no shootings in this.
Speaker 1: No shooting, right, dudes. Okay, so we know Loriie, you know, very devastated by the Keith Whitley death. So it was a few years before Laurie started looking for love again. But in nineteen ninety one she had a marriage more like her first marriage in that we don't know much about it and it didn't last very long.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: His name was Brad Thompson and he was the bus driver for country star Clint Black.
Speaker 2: I know that name, do you?
Speaker 1: I didn't?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Clint Black famous enough for me to be familiar with his name when I see.
Speaker 1: It, famous enough that should be on his tour bus. Famous enough for Eli Banks to know about hahu. Now, Laurie was touring with Clint and she had her eye on Brad. But you know, he's the bus driver. He's not gonna go ask out one of the hit stars of the tour. That would be maybe a bit presumptuous what Brad to do. So Laurie's like, this one's on me. She went and asked him out, and soon Brad asked Laurie to marry him. Five months later she did, with Clint Black standing as Brad's best man. Pretty cool, but it turned out that Brad had a drinking problem that Laurie did not know about. Man Once she came home from a tour to find Brad getting ready to take her son Jesse out in the snow, and she's like, what y'all doing? And Brad said, quote, I'm gonna pull Jessie. I want to slip brown mastruck. Oh, And of course Laurie could smell the alcohol on him, even if he didn't sound like I just sounded just smell it. So she flipped out about this because of course we already know she has a bad history of people who were alcoholics. Yeah, she was also already stressed out. She had some bad money problems and even worse health problems because after a few weeks of having like constant pain in her abdomen, Laurie discovered that she had endometriosis.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. Her doctors recommended that she have surgery to have the cysts on her ovaries removed, but while she was on the operating table, the surgeons decided that it would be best for her to have a full hysterectomy. Since she was under of course, she could not decide or consent to this, but her husband could, so it was up to Brad. The doctors went to him and were like, Hey, should we should give your wife a hysterectomy? You in or you out?
Speaker 1: Yeah, sign here or whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean, Like, I can't imagine that's a fun choice for Brad either, not because he's got to not only if he ever cares about having kids with her, you know, that's something he has to consider. And also, oh, I'm making this huge life changing decision for you, but also it might it's medically necessary and you might have to go into surgery again later. Nobody wants to do it twice.
Speaker 1: No, there's really this feels like a situation where there's no way to be right yeah or do a good yeah for real. I feel like either way you can get in a lot of well.
Speaker 2: He decided that they should go for it, and so she didn't even find out that she'd had her uterus removed until she woke up from the operation. She wrote that she was depressed when she found out that she wouldn't have any more kids, but ultimately she's, you know, a very religious person. She said, it's it's God's will. I'm okay with that. Plus, of course, she was not so sure that things were going to work out with Brad, and she thought maybe having another kid with him would have been a bad move anyway, and sure enough, she filed for divorce from Brad in nineteen ninety three, less than two years after they got married. She said she basically never saw or heard from him again, although reports say that in their divorce, Laurie gave Brad sixty five thousand dollars and a pickup truck, which also sounds like a country song making sure does I got sixty five thousand dollars, ain't a pickup truck in my divorce? And now I'm going on to eat a pie.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, I thought it was gonna be something about like and and a pickup truck. And now all see is you in my rear view?
Speaker 2: Oh see that's pretty good. Now we got something. Somebody call up John Randalls. This nice. So Brad got the sixty five K the pickup truck. Apparently, she also gave him back all his possessions, which included a photo of him that said World's greatest bus driver. Sure I would brought that back too. I also would find no reason to keep that if in the divorce, I don't need this, you can have Yes, you can have your weird picture back.
Speaker 1: Well. Now, before Laurie's divorce with Brad was finalized and he had his pickup treck, she was dating the Dallas Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman.
Speaker 2: Oooh do you know Troy Aikman.
Speaker 1: Not at all? Oh man less than Clint Black. Do I know Troy aiks Wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, I mean I was. You know, I was never a big football fan, but when I was a kid, you know, early nineties, Stephanie, Troy Aikman was a huge name. It was like him, Dan Marino, Oj Simpson, all of them turned out great.
Speaker 1: Out fantastic, still making headlines.
Speaker 2: Because well, that's for sure, some more than others.
Speaker 1: Right. I think the only name in the nineties that I knew related to sports was Dave Justice and Chipper Jones because the nineteen ninety six Braves won the World Series.
Speaker 2: Oh there you go. Yeah, I wasn't in Atlanta yet. I didn't know Chipper Jones to he moved down here, but I never knew Dave Justice. Dave Justice and Chipper jas also sounds like a country song to me. Old ages to say, Chipper Jones going down Lanta and they're entering your homes. I don't know they're entering their own. I think I said your homes.
Speaker 1: Why are they coming to my house? It sounds kind of scary, like funny games like Justice and they're entering your homes causing psychological damage?
Speaker 2: Wow? I thought maybe they were just like signing baseball's or something. Why are they negative? Right away?
Speaker 1: I really start therapy again, Really, ship, I should look into this. Why is like the first thing I saw, I was like, they're trying to murder me? All right, You're like, oh, it's like a nice make a wish type is it?
Speaker 2: But and then you go said, I'm just like they're coming into sign baseballs and you're like, it's my last wish. Wow, you're so.
Speaker 1: Right, it's so naked psychological damage. Well for another podcast.
Speaker 2: Get a Better Help sponsorship over here.
Speaker 1: We'll start another struggle what the fuck is wrong with Diana? And it'll just be me to asking better Help what's wrong with me? And it'll be like, you know what, girl, great.
Speaker 2: Question at a ringing endorsement, Better Help. I think we just lost our sponsorship.
Speaker 1: Like, I just want to try to say it's better Help. Can't just tell you what's wrong with you. You got to do the work. I think Better Help would agree with me. Oh sorry, I'm feeling so silly today.
Speaker 2: Wrong with that?
Speaker 1: All right? So whatever Laurie was dating, the well known everyone knows about him was quarterback Troy Aikman. At first, she was very disinterested when her friend was trying to match her up with Troy. But he was very handsome and successful and he did not have a drinking problem.
Speaker 2: Check check check.
Speaker 1: So they started dating. But it was a lot tabloids, gossip magazines, morning news. She couldn't even go to the supermarket without it being a big deal. You know, they're like stars, Y're just like us. They eat food, you know. And so this was a level of fame that Laurie really didn't get as a country music star.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Also a big problem with them was that Troy wanted kids, and he was eight years younger than Laurie was. So he's dating an older woman who had two children already, who also definitely could not have any more children. That was really tough for him, and Laurie wrote quote, I couldn't blame him for that. That's a big hurdle for a man in his mid twenties. So they broke up amicably less than a year later.
Speaker 2: Right, So Laurie's single. Now she's killing it professionally, She's playing on TV. She's doing huge concerts alongside big names. She was on the soundtrack for the Beverly Hillbillies movie, which had like Dolly Parton and Willie Nelson, like a lot of big names. She also put out a Christmas album that had her doing duets with Andy Williams, Johnny Mathis, and Tammy Wynette. She even starred in a TV pilot about a country music singing detective called Laura Lei Lee. The show was not picked up for a series, and I'm half wondering if it's not just because people couldn't pronounce Laura Lei. Lee reminds me of the rural drove Laurelie Lee. Have you seen it? You sound drunk when you talk about it.
Speaker 1: Loy also a country music the Tectics kind of Philly. But I don't know. Maybe maybe they do a song after every U, or they do the song and they reveal the culprit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, in the lyrics they're like, turns out David Justice and Jibber Jones had come down to Atlanta. They were entering homes.
Speaker 1: I knew the crime all the time.
Speaker 2: Suspicious. You were right to be suspicious of everything.
Speaker 1: Yes, never trust your fellow man.
Speaker 2: Wow in the caston all right. Well, after dating Troy Aikman, Laurie went in a different direction, and in nineteen ninety four she started dating US Senator Fred Thompson of Tennessee. Wow.
Speaker 1: So she's had a bassist, a bus driver, a footballball star, and a country music thing of course, and then now a senator.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: She really does do be trying style.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she said in her autobiography Forever Yours Faithfully My Love Story that Fred was great. He is so great. Even his ex wife still liked him. She said that she liked dating older, successful man and she felt very secure with him. He also was very kind to her. He pushed her to feel more confident about her talents and her music and everything. He lavished her with gifts. Obviously a very wealthy man because he's a Southern senator. And Fred was even mulling a presidential run at that point, and Laurie wrote quote, I would be sitting at a glamorous party and have the flickering thought, so this is what it's like to be a first lady. Hell. I could handle that. Then I would say, oops, better drop the hell. Beautiful country singers and they're just have you know, foul mouth, they got no hesitation occurs in stuff.
Speaker 1: You know. I'm into that. But yeah, Laurie thought dating a politician was too stifling. Sure, She wrote quote, I cannot express myself as a pungent, pithy country singer. I began to feel programmed to smile and be well political. I put myself to the task could be in a great companion to a stimulating and important man, and as a result, I became boring. I mean right there, She had to drop the hell. Yeah, right, so that makes sense. Yeah, she said. She felt like everything she said she had to think about the political implications. She couldn't really be herself. And just like when she dated Troy Aikman, every time she went out in public, it was tabloids and TV analyzing everything she wore, every facial expression she made, which I was going to say, I feel like dating a senator is not all the way to get out of the public eye.
Speaker 2: Right right, the worst direction even worse, right, she said. I used to think I better drop the hell. Then I realized I better drop the hell out of this relationship.
Speaker 1: I dropped the hymn instead. Shortly after they broke up, she started dating another country singer and songwriter named John Randall. John Randall the co writer of the song A Whiskey Lullaby. We got him, We made it to everybody clap. So in nineteen ninety six they got married, same year she broke up with the senator. Yeah, so just a quickie, quick turnaround for ol Laurie. A year later, she published her autobiography that we mentioned earlier, Forever Yours Faithfully My Love Story.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so she's married and she puts out this autobiography titled My Love Story. Well Entertainment Weekly gave the book a C, saying quote Morgan offers unsavory new details about Keith Whitley's last days and dishes the skinny on dating Troy Aikman and Senator Fred Thompson, but she doesn't do much soul searching about the four marriages she's racked up by age thirty eight, and when she fails to even mention her current spouse, singer John Randall, you can't help but size him up as a future ex husband.
Speaker 1: Oo out.
Speaker 2: I think that's insane for someone to publish an autobiography called Forever Yours Faithfully My Love Story and not mentioned their current spouse.
Speaker 1: I mean that is pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: A little prescient maybe.
Speaker 1: Though I don't love the judgment that I'm hearing in not much soul searching about the four marriages she's racked up by age thirty eight. Yeah, now, Laurie, I don't think that she's necessarily the steadiest like partner everything, but one of them died.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's not like she's trying to jump from man to man or something. There's just there's it's smacks of a judgment that I don't love.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally get that.
Speaker 1: I just wonder, you know, I have to wonder if if it was a man who had racked up four marriage that they would even mention it. You know, it would just be like some dude doing his thing. Yeah, I don't like. I just don't. I don't see them being like he needs to really think about what he's doing. It's never like that.
Speaker 2: No, you're right, I don't know. And to be fair. On page two hundred and eighty seven out of three hundred and one, so fourteen pages before the end, she does mention John Randall once. Oh I am Yeah, she does say I married a country singer name John Randall, and it must have been really hard for him to see me writing about all my ex husbands all the time. That's it. That's the only mention of him. She didn't like go in and add a chapter about like, but I finally found the love of my life and I'm so excited that that was not in there.
Speaker 1: You think John read it and was like, okay, am I kicking up what you're putting down?
Speaker 2: Is there a sequel you're planning or Because it says my love story and I ain't in it.
Speaker 1: I'm not in it, so I guess it's not my love story.
Speaker 2: It says forever yours faithfully, and it's not to me your husband. So that's interesting. Now.
Speaker 1: I will say, in defense of their smack of judgment, that it is funny to call your book forever Yours faithfully, and then we talk about all these different.
Speaker 2: Men, right right. I do think that mostly refers to Keith, because she's like, he died and a lot of it was about her dealing with his death, which I understand. But yeah, it is kind of like I love story. But you know who doesn't factor into my love story at all? My current husband, a guy.
Speaker 1: Who's ring I'm wearing well. In December of nineteen ninety six, just a month after their wedding, Laurie and her new husband, John performed together on the Grand Ole Opry, singing a duet of the song by My Side. In nineteen ninety seven, Laurie performed the National Anthem at the Daytona five hundred, which was historic because it was also Jeff Gordon's first Daytona win.
Speaker 2: Look get that.
Speaker 1: She also sang let It Snow at the White House Christmas tree lighting. Oh and in nineteen ninety eight, tabloids claimed she had quote a wild ride in the backseat of a limousine with President Bill Clinton.
Speaker 2: Oh scandalous.
Speaker 1: The Laurie angrily refuted this story. She said her only interaction with Bill Clinton was in public for the tree lighting. Uh huh, but of course makes sense to be like, you know, our our swingin' playboy president.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, Bill Clinton said in January of ninety eight, I did not have sexual relations with that woman, so talking about Monica Lewinsky, of course, so this had have been right. So if he was fooling around with more than one woman, as men who fool around with other women often.
Speaker 1: Do, very true.
Speaker 2: I'm just look, I will totally take Laurie's word for this, but there's a part of my brain she can't convince that something didn't happen. His little little part of the tabloid stuck in my head. That's how they make their money.
Speaker 1: I just love thinking that an actual wild night with Bill Clinton would be like he pulls out the sacks and he's like it's time there whispers whatever, and she's in the back of limousine like hanging out the sun roof.
Speaker 2: He's got fucking Baker Street blasted. Yes, she's like too wow.
Speaker 1: Also a side note, just a little happy story. A month after that, in April, on Interstate sixty five in Nashville, two dogs got loose on the highway and drivers had to like hit the brakes to avoid them, and it caused a huge backup that Laurie's tour bus got stuck in. So Laurie Morgan got out of her bus, walked across the highway and rescued the two dogs. Aw Hey, Lourie. She showed up late for her rehearsal covered in mud.
Speaker 2: Oh worth it well. Later that year, Laurie recorded a duet with a country singer that she knew way back when, and he had become quite famous himself. His name was Sammy Kershaw. And if you remember back when she was touring with George Jones when she was twenty years old, she had a little flaying with young Sammy Kershaw before she ended up marrying the bassist Ron Gaddis Right. Well, turns out the spark was still alive between Laurie and Sammy, who was also very married. EU it's gonna get messy in here. So before we get to her fifth marriage, let's take a quick break. Prepare for all this drama and see I would eventually lead to the song that Courtney originally sent us, Whiskey Lullaby. Find out how right after this, Well, going back, y'all to the show, Jipper joneses here and he's coming in your door. Oh my god, get away from this song. It's so fun.
Speaker 1: I'm terrified of Chipper Jones showing up of my door. So it's the late nineties. Country music star Laurie Morgan is married to another country singer and songwriter, John Randall. Now the big picture of what happened next is totally true, but the little details are from some tabloids.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we'll try to.
Speaker 1: Differentiate for you. Yeah, you can take the tabloid stuff with the large grain of salt.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: So, according to Star Magazine in nineteen ninety eight, Laurie was recording a duet with another country star, Sammy Kershaw. Now we know Sammy and Laurie had that flaying when they were both touring with George Jones back in seventy nine, but she ended up marrying the bassist. Well, Sammy and Laurie crossed paths a lot over the years, and they kept in touch a little. But The Star says that during these recording sessions they were quote flirting heavily, and they were also going to each other's concerts. They even did a few duets outside the studio.
Speaker 2: Oh that's the Star, Okay, a little honkey tonk in the bedroom there, Okay, okay. Now. The Star also says that John Randall started hearing these rumors, and, according to a friend, quote he started calling Sammy's band members asking what's going on with my wife and Sammy?
Speaker 1: Yikes.
Speaker 2: Well they must have given him some detailed answers, because on August eighth of nineteen ninety nine, the Tennesseean reported that John Randall and Laurie Morgan were getting a divorce. Meanwhile, Sammy Kershaw's wife, Kim, whom he had been married to for fourteen years and had two daughters with, was none too happy when news got back to her that her husband had been fooling around with his long lost sweetheart. On November ninth of nineteen ninety nine, she filed for divorce from Sammy in Nashville, citing irreconcilable differences. So that's you know, the divorce filings in both cases were true. We don't know if, like, you know, all those about all the rumors getting back to them and their angry responses and all this stuff that's kind of being filled in by the tabloids. But you know, some tabloid stuff is true.
Speaker 1: Something I don't know is something.
Speaker 2: Also, according to The Star, Sammy and Kim actually had had a great marriage. They had both been married a couple times before, and they had both had troubles with drugs and alcohol in their previous relationships. So now, after fourteen years of marriage and two kids, they both really felt like they'd settled down, their crazy days were behind them. But then Laurie walked back into Sammy's life and everything changed, and Kim allegedly was pissed.
Speaker 1: So Kim went after Sammy hard in the divorce, and we did find a few details of their divorce proceedings on rolandnote dot COM's country music database. So on day one of their divorce trial, Kim accused Sammy of adultery with Laurie Morgan. He fired back and said that she had had an affair where a used car sales. What Then, on day two, it was revealed that Sammy Kershaw had paid fifty thousand dollars to settle a sexual harassment lawsuit back in nineteen ninety seven. Oh man, we cannot find any more info about that.
Speaker 2: And I know it was like trying so hard, but it's the only record of that.
Speaker 1: I mean, I guess if you settle part of.
Speaker 2: That is the whole point is like cleaning my soft quiet Yeah.
Speaker 1: My record and stuff. So anyway, so this trial just went on for weeks, and they were a little bombshells being dropped and thrown by each each of them and everything. But during their divorce trial, it seems like Laurie and John was it have a more of a quick and clean process. CMT dot com said, quote Morgan will keep all her own assets and Randall will keep his. The two have reportedly stated that they will remain friends and possibly work together in the future. Though it sounds like, you know, he's all right, buye you like famy whatever.
Speaker 2: So by week three of Sammy and Kim's divorce trial, he had accused Kim of excessive spending, saying that she logged one hundred and eighty two thousand dollars in personal expenses in nineteen ninety nine. Well damn, but Sammy could throw whatever accusations he wanted at Kim and just nothing was sticking, probably partly because even during their divorce trial, Sammy and Laurie were not even trying to be discreet about their relationship together. Laurie even opened a restaurant called Laurie Morgan's Spicy Hot Chicken Coop, which had Sammy Kershaw's potato salad on the menu.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: At one point, Kim Kershaw dropped this bombshell on the court. She testified that Laurie Morgan admitted to her that she had an affair with Sammy back in nineteen ninety three. Now, Sammy would have been still married to Kim at that point because they got married in the mid eighties. But if we play back the tape from earlier in this podcast, we know that in nineteen ninety three, Laurie was feeling unhappy with her bus driver husband, Brad Thompson, and divorced him for sixty five thousand dollars and a pickup truck. So maybe that affair had something to do with what ultimately broke up Laurie and Brad or came about because Laurie and Brad were already on the rocks, right, but either way kind of adds a new piece of info to that story.
Speaker 1: Very true.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: In April of two thousand and one, Sammy and Kim Kershaw's divorce was finalized. The judge head zero sympathy for sam He's like you are wild annowed Sammy, So he was ordered to pay thirty five thousand dollars for Kim's legal fees, four thousand dollars a month in alimony, and six thousand, five hundred dollars a month in child support.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Kim also received primary custody of the kids, and the judge said, quote.
Speaker 5: Mister Kershaw's marital misconduct has been open and notorious, with absolutely no discretion being used to protect his wife and children from information concerning his affair.
Speaker 1: With Miss Lori Morgan.
Speaker 2: Sorry, I love this Tennessee judge. Should I give more this Sam Eagle from Tennessee? Oh no, it's.
Speaker 1: A powdered wig that he puts on to make his judgment.
Speaker 2: Country Bumpkins.
Speaker 1: He was sent there as from the city.
Speaker 2: From the city for being for being two by the book, he couldn't he couldn't work with the mobsters that were running you know, the city Seattle, where he had previously been a judge, and they were like, I'm sending you to Nashville. Like, no, fine, I'll bring my brand of justice to Nashville. Let's see how it works down there.
Speaker 1: Call me barrister.
Speaker 2: That British.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, you might wonder, you know, did Sammy take that to heart, this judge being like hella judgmental?
Speaker 2: He was, maybe like judgmental.
Speaker 1: That judge really pegged me I should maybe act a little more discretion and humility, maybe act like a gentleman. Nope, because eleven days after the divorce was finalized, he and Laurie went on Live with Regis and Kelly to announce their engagement. I swear they are like why people to get mad at them?
Speaker 2: Right, Like it's not even like, well they got engaged. Eleven days later, they went on the biggest live morning talk show in the world to tell literally everyone, they will, yes, screw our previous marriages. We're starting this one now.
Speaker 1: First it was chicken and potato salad. Now it's heart and soul. So on September twenty ninth, two thousand and one, they got married in Nashville.
Speaker 2: Now on Larry King, Laurie did an interview and she said, quote from the first time I met Sammy, there was a traction there. Nothing happened, and some twenty years later we were both in marriages and we decided to get out of those marriages to pursue the love that we felt for each other. It was tough on our family, our children and our fans. But you know, you only live once, which I mean, you know, there's something to that, and sort of like, why am I, for the sake of etiquette gonna delay the thing that brings me happiness?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Something there? But also you got to consider who you are hurting, right, and you can't always just pursue the thing that you want the most deeply when you've got to consider other people's feelings and well being as well.
Speaker 1: But you know, well, and this might be where you know, you want some of that self analysis to come in, get her to think to herself, you know, my heart is a little fickle. Yeah, maybe I don't need to marry every man. We could just stay for a.
Speaker 2: While and maybe you know, when there's when I'm married to someone and I'm attracted to someone else, I sort of ride that out, you know, and try to get through it and see what's going on with Yeah, I mean, who knows what was going on?
Speaker 1: Mind or heart hurt wants what it wants and so on.
Speaker 2: But a year into the marriage, things apparently got a little rocky again. That fickle heart reared its head because Laurie and Sammy had both filed restraining orders against each other. She told Larry King in this interview, which was after or they'd reconciled, that this had come from pressure from outside forces who quote didn't want us to succeed. They were being played against each other by either people who you know, who were angry about how their previous divorces went down, or by the tabloids who were seeking drama. She said, quote we fell for it. We took it out on each other, and one fight led to another and it became extremely, extremely violent. It was very uncalled for. Of this violence. Can only find out that in court. Sammy is the one who claimed that Laurie assaulted him. But she did say that neither of them were doing any drugs or drinking. She said, neither of them do because they both had bad histories with it. It was just a lot of built up frustration and hot heads and you know, tempers and all that. But when she came back later to pack up some of her stuff, you know, they saw each other. They started to talk. They realized that they had already gone through so much drama just to be together, that they must really matter to each other and they should try and work this out. So they talked for a while and it seemed like things were going to be okay, okay.
Speaker 1: But even though they were later seen acting quote unquote lovey dovey, I guess there were a lot of PDA going on in Hot Chicken, Cooper.
Speaker 2: Probably trying to undo all those tabloid headlines.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so yeah, even so they had problem. Yeah, in two thousand and five, the Hot Chicken restaurant closed, you know seven Sammy filed for bankruptcy, and later that year he announced his candidacy as a Republican for Lieutenant governor of Louisiana. Oh and we know, LORI, you know, don't like Dayton politicians.
Speaker 2: Right, you know, nice like I tried that.
Speaker 1: By the way, he lost. Yeah, he did not win that win.
Speaker 2: Also weird that he like declared bankruptcy and was like I know how to get back on my feet with money run for politics, which just kind of shows you what her political run will do for your financial situation.
Speaker 1: That's true, But I was about to say, it's very expensive to run a president right, I mean, not even presidential, any any office. A race for any office is pretty pricey. Yeah, so it's like you kind of have to have some of your own money too.
Speaker 2: Well, that's one thinking is this was a play against the system. This is one of those like I'm a declare bankruptcy so that I have I can debt free run for office, and in running for office, I can raise money, I can sell books, whatever it is he did, because a lot of people walk away from a run with more money than they started with, despite having spent millions of dollars on the run. There's a big problem with money in the political system, is all I'm saying here.
Speaker 1: You're so right. So on top of all that, even their respective crowds couldn't get along because Lori said she was quote unquote laid back music, kind of like Tammy Wynette, you know, in that vein. Sammy meanwhile, was more like southern rock, like a Leonard Skinnard. Okay, so they're like, we can't even tour together because their fans didn't mix, they didn't share interest in the others music or whatever. So it was just a lot of problems like that, and in August of that year, Sammy and Laurie legally separated. By October, LORII filed for divorce. The next year, some trust sued Laurie Morgan for three hundred and twenty seven thousand dollars in unpaid debt, So then she filed for bankruptcy in two thousand and eight, citing between one and ten million dollars in debt, which it's like, that's a huge disparity.
Speaker 2: There's a big difference between one and two million dollars. In fact, there's a million dollar difference between those two numbers.
Speaker 1: I think, I see what your problem is is that you don't be tracked.
Speaker 2: She's like, I don't know, one million, ten million, it's all the same.
Speaker 1: No, it isn't it's it's not the same very much, not so big shock. Laurie was never good with money. She told the Boot in twenty sixteen that her bankruptcy was because, quote, she didn't watch her own money or audit her accountant, right that is a trap.
Speaker 2: And if you're so rich that you.
Speaker 1: Have so many people looking after your money, yeah, look after them right.
Speaker 2: That was a comment in one of these articles too, that it's like this is not uncommon for celebrities who suddenly have a lot of money and don't really know how to handle it. So they have people do and they just assume all their bills are getting paid. They just assume everything's being handled and then they get a letter one day that's like, hey, it hadn't been handled.
Speaker 1: Right, look at Shakira, right?
Speaker 2: Was not?
Speaker 1: Her argument was that her tax people were doing her taxes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's pretty much. The most ridiculous of Lori Morgan's love life is those those first five husbands number five, especially that whole just tabloid drama, divorce, cheating everything. Afterwards, she did get married one more time to Randy White, a businessman. That was in twenty ten, and they seem to still be married happily today. Oh yeah, she's got an active Facebook page where she almost exclusively posts dog memes, but she does have pictures of the two of them on a beach and stuff, and you know, seeming to be doing okay, I guess she does little tours. She was like, I'm playing this music hall and Niagara Falls and stuff like that. So I guess she's still playing a little bit. So that's that's Laurie and her ridiculous love life but ridiculous romance. Some might even say, what But now we can finally loop back to Courtney's original Instagram message and the song Whiskey Lullaby that set us off on this tangent in the first place. Now that we know how Laurie and John's divorce went down, we can understand why afterwards John was kind of a wreck. Right. I mean, his wife, who'd never even mentioned him in her autobiography about the loves of her life, right, was off cheating on him with her you know, effectively teenage sweetheart.
Speaker 1: She's in hot chicken with someone else.
Speaker 2: Right. So within days of the divorce, John also lost a record deal and a songwriting contract, according to an article on American Songwriter dot com. So things a really low point in John's life, and he started drinking heavily after this, and he went back to a lot of his worst habits. Just having a really hard time and seeing him in this state. Apparently, his manager said to him quote, hey man, every now and then you got to put a bottle to your head and pull the trigger. And John was like, uh shit, I got to write that down for later, which also like imagine walking in on your friend who's like drunk passed out and being like, yeah, sometimes you gotta do that. I mean, it's not exactly what he needed to hear.
Speaker 1: Especially your manager, should you not be like, hey man, let's clean get you cleaned up. You know what I'm saying, Like we'll go on a little sabbatical or something. Get your head right.
Speaker 2: You wucking guy's face down of the toilet, three whiskey bottles empty around him, and you're just like, yep, it happens.
Speaker 1: Go on a bender until you.
Speaker 2: Die there some of us don't come back.
Speaker 1: Geez, you're a terrible manager, right I Oh. John was like, I'm going to get any manager who cares if I liver ORed.
Speaker 2: I Well.
Speaker 1: John cleaned himself up, got back to work, and he paired up with songwriter Bill Anderson to try and put a song together. Now Anderson had his own idea for a song called Midnight Cigarette.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that's country.
Speaker 1: That is that is very country sound. He said, quote can you imagine a cigarette just sitting on an ash tray at midnight, nobody's smoking it or paying it any attention, and it just burned out. And he kind of likens that to a relationship where you don't hit a wall or anything. It just sort of goes away, kind of pizzles.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: We've all had one of them. Yeah, yeah, Like neither of us are trying to say it, but we both know.
Speaker 2: I had one where we're like never We never really broke up, just kind of left one day. It was like, all right, I guess I'll wow see you later. And so I guess technically I'm still dating that person, babe. Sorry, we unbelieve the ball.
Speaker 1: I'll text full time.
Speaker 2: I'll text her and be like, hey, we need to make this official. You have multiple children, we should break up.
Speaker 1: We should probably break up now. She's like, who is this no offense?
Speaker 2: Damn wow. I actually would take a lot of offense if she said that to me.
Speaker 1: That would be very upset. So anyway, John loved the idea for this song, and he said, quote, yeah, well I put the bottle to my head and pulled the trigger a few times. Oh, And Bill was like, for good midnight cigarette. Now that's a line.
Speaker 2: You know who told you that, some supportive friend, I hope.
Speaker 1: When they were telling you to get yourself clean. But actually both lines ended up going into the song that they wrote together, which is Whiskey Lullaby. So y'all, I don't think we can legally play it for you. I do think we can go on down to a poetry corner and give a read of a few of these here lyrics.
Speaker 2: She pooed him out like the burning end of a midnight cigarette. She broke his heart. He spent his whole life trying to forget. We watched him drink his pain away little at a time, but he never could get drunk enough to get her off his mind until the night.
Speaker 1: He put that bottle to his head and pulled the trigger and finally drank away her memory. Life is short, but this time it was bigger than the strength he had to get up off his knees. We found him with his face down in the pillow, with a note that said I'll love her till I die. And when we buried him beneath the willow, the angels sang a whiskey lullaby.
Speaker 2: There you have it, folks whiskey lullabye, midnight cigarette, midnight cigarette and bottled of his head and pulled the tree, which like, oh, it's clever. But the more I hear it, I'm like, that's stupid, that's so rude. I don't mean that. It's fine. A lot of people love that song. It's a very popular song. Our dear listener, Courtney may Klaus, I assume loves that song. She knew it well enough to make the link between the willow trees lines. I'll tell you. We're obviously history fans, and we love going to ancient China and France and you know, getting all these medieval love stories and stuff like that. It's a lot of fun. So it's nice to dive into something that I think we're really truly unfamiliar with once in a while, just like the country music scene, despite the fact that we kind of I mean, Atlanta's a bit of a bubble, but we are certainly surrounded by a lot of country music around, yeah, and I think we just kind of tune it out generally, So it's cool to get into this story and learn a different, different part of the world. Oh side note, Senator Fred Thompson who Laurie dated is an exact replica of Kelsey Grammar. What these guys look? Look him up? Okay, look, I want you to google Fred Thompson right now and give me your immediate reaction. Oh my god, yeah right. I mean I'm not the first to say so. If you scroll down, there's surely like four pages that show pictures. They're like Kelsey Grammer, He's just playing a movie or something.
Speaker 1: Actually. People also ask why did Fred Thompson leave Law and Order? Did he have something?
Speaker 2: Maybe that's a different fred Thompson.
Speaker 1: That's funny. It does say he was an actor, so maybe he was on Law and Order.
Speaker 2: He sure was. In the final months of his US Senate term. In two thousand and two, fred Thompson joined the cast of Law and Order, Wow, starring as a district attorney. Well, anyway, it was a really cool story to just stumble across. I love those. Let me look up this song. Ah, there's nothing here. Wait a minute, there's a little bit here. Oh my god, there's six marriages. Yeah.
Speaker 1: My question is why Mary. I feel like after the third or fourth time, I'd be like, you know, well, let's just date for a while, you know, like why would you want to tie the net so quick?
Speaker 2: I think for some people, especially older generations, there's this sort of idea that like, that's exclusively why you date someone is to marry them.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: And if after a couple of months things are going well, you're like, all right, well, then things are going well, let's get married and then we'll have kids together. And that's why. Also, I think a lot of people older generations who got married a lot of and this came from many years of marriage wasn't necessity for comfort, which I totally understand. But a lot of people will get married quickly and then realize that they're not compatible or they don't like each other, because sometimes it takes a while to figure that out. So then you got these sort of rotten marriages, these grumpy old people who don't like each other, or divorce or whatever happen happens, which is why, of course we waited eight years before we got married, just to be ex sure. But again I still feel like that was like holding our noses and jumping in so but I think it's so far it's worked out pretty well.
Speaker 1: It's good to hear.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I guess you're right.
Speaker 1: I don't know, there is there is something different about people's mindset today, I guess about a relationship, it's like it's totally fine too, or we even did Kurt Russell and goldiehun who've never chosen to get married, and they've had, you know, more commitment than Laurie had with many of her actual marriages. And as we've seen several people who married multiple times, like Ron Shephard what's his name, the most married man or whatever? Oh yeah, but anyway, I just think it's funny to have so many failed marriages and then just keep doing it. Like I feel like at some point, if it were me, I'd be like, you know what, let's just you know what, we're just gonna hold off, Like I don't get married again, Like we're together for at least a year or two before right thing goes down. Especially with some of them, are like there's literally a couple months between it is in the divorce and the marriage.
Speaker 2: To me, I'm like, in her heart and mind, when you know divorce is a fairly ready option, what is the difference between that and just long term dating?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Right? I mean we're in a committed relationship for two years to me, the only difference between that and long term dating is that you had a ceremony to say we're in this committed relationship and also you said in your vows till death do us part or something along those lines, and then did not really think that because like till death or discomfort or awkwardness or I find somebody better, you know. It kind of like yeah, So to me, it's just like you all you did was technically all you did was date these people. You just made it legally official.
Speaker 1: That, which I guess is the weird party because I'm it's not like you're in it for their money or something. You have all your own shit going on, so you're actually putting your own self in danger by marrying this bus driver or this one whoever, And it just seems like an odd choice, I guess. But you know whatever, she's happy now, so good for you, Laura.
Speaker 2: And she you know, a life full of adventures and for her that was you know, I think she was. It sounds like she was more often happy than not, and that she was excited each time that she got into one of these relationships. They she usually dated people for a fairly long time slash married them for a couple of years at least. It wasn't like, you know, bouncing one of the next all the time. So I don't know. It's certainly not my cup of tea. And I don't think it was only anyone was happy to get divorced so many times.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm not trying to say she should stay with someone she didn't get into. I must rather be a multiple divorce than be married to the wrong person.
Speaker 2: Right, but pump the brakes on getting married.
Speaker 1: But the marriage exactly just like just hang on on that part.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, I am very glad that we got this message from Courtney May because this was a fun, like a kind of clib messy dramas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little bit of tabloid episode, which we don't get to do too often.
Speaker 1: Way, But as you say in the country music world, which is very unknown.
Speaker 2: To men, also just goes to show that any message you send us could turn into something very valuable. So please.
Speaker 1: You might not even think so if you're.
Speaker 2: Just like man, I have the dumbest thought about their episode, but I don't you know what, they won't even care. We will, we will. It might change our lives forever, So please.
Speaker 1: We might talk about it for an hour and a half.
Speaker 2: Yes, So do please send us your thoughts, your feelings, your ideas, anything that might have crossed your mind while you were listening to this episode. Tell us if you've been married and divorced several times and sort of how you know your take on everything we've been talking about here. If we're absolutely have no idea what we're talking about, or if we're spot on, you know, I love to hear it. Either way, shoot us an email at ridic Romance at gmail dot.
Speaker 1: Com right or we're on Instagram. I'm at Dynamite Boone.
Speaker 2: And I'm at Oh Great, It's Eli and.
Speaker 1: The show is at ridic Romance.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for tuning in with us today. Thanks again, Courtney and y'all take a take, take it, take it, take it good, take it, have it fun, have it fun there at all fun and take watch out for Chipper Jones and David Justice. Don't let them into your homes if you see them on your right cameras.
Speaker 1: Pretend not to be home.
Speaker 2: All right, We'll see y'all next time.
Speaker 1: Love you by all right, So long, friends, it's time to go. Thanks for listening to our show tell your friends
Speaker 3: David's uncles and dance to listen to our show Ridiculous well Nance