Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: I'm that for me. I'm a man, I'm forty. I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for Dake Edith State. Is that whoo whoom?
Speaker 1: And Dan and Tie welcome back to the Solid Rebel Boys and girls. My name is Ty hilden Brant, joining me as always my man over there in beautiful New York City. The week before the season, Dan Rubinstein sir, how you doing.
Speaker 2: I think we're in the season technically, even if you ignore week zero because it's not a full regular week, we're in week one. This is the week one run up? Right?
Speaker 1: Did you get into the later start or the later finish to the week zero game? Were you awake for that?
Speaker 2: Ty, Let's back up? Was I awake for the second half of Florida Miami? The answer is a resounding no. The answer is a full on It's halftime. I was at a hotel on the Jersey Shore. I had just finished C C minus pizza and said to myself, I have a limited amount. You know, when you plan a RPG, you have certain you have this much life, this much health, this much stamina, this much weaponry, that kind of thing. Yeah, as a newly minted father and just general old man, I have so many late night college football nights just available to me this season. Was I going to waste it on Week zero? I was not. So I just found the full versions of both Florida Miami and then Arizona Hawaii the following day and watched it at my own leisure and now have many many thoughts.
Speaker 1: Absolutely as do I I will say, as not a new father, yeah, but a resident of a new state in which sports gambling is now legal.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, this I'm going to change the dynamic.
Speaker 1: I may have had a rooting interest in the final moments of that Florida Miami game, and let me tell you, both final moments were great, but yeah, both were great. But the Florida Miami one, from an over understandpoint, had real significance. And brother I aged about fifteen years on that last sequence, which we can get into here momentarily if we want to talk about that. But yeah, an interesting occurrence of events on both fronts. Really, no matter which game you were into, we are going to go through news on this show. We're going to talk about those two games very quickly as well. As some of the new starting quarterbacks that have been named in the run up two week one, and then we are going to cover the group of five. Now, we haven't done the full deep dive of like sixty group of five teams. Instead, what we've done is go through and look at, okay, who are the top dogs, who are some of the contenders, the pretenders, And we're going to try to cover it from that perspective because I know y'all love the show. We love the show too, there are only so many hours in the day. We can't cover all the teams we've received.
Speaker 2: Since January, we've received an email, maybe five emails a day strictly asking when we were going to deep dive the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, of course, and we've been putting it off. Yeah, we've been putting it off. I think the deep dive will be next year. I think the deep dive on Tulsa will be next year. But well, first of all, do we have housekeeping? Do we want to get into week zero? What is the order of operations here?
Speaker 1: Well, first and foremost the order of operations is we've been waiting to throw this one out into the podcast oh sphere for a couple of weeks. But the Wondering News. We talked about the Wondering News. We're very excited to be joining the Wondering podcast Network. It's exciting for us. What it means though, is if you're listening at home and we always get this, how can we help? Here's how you can help. Go to wonderre dot com slash survey. That's won d e r y dot com slash survey, and there's a survey there. You can fill it out. You'll have the opportunity to talk a little bit more about our show and what you like about it, what you like to hear more of, and also give us a sense for what you're into and not into. It'll help make the show a better experience moving forward. Again, the show is not changing much, but that survey will help us out a great deal. Wondery, of course, is home to a number of great podcasts. Chief among them we'll show you might have heard of called Sports Wars. Is that correct?
Speaker 2: Dan correct? I do host Sports War as a show about sports rivalries that's narrative, about four or five six episodes per story. We've done like Kobe Shack. We've just finished a college football arc with Texas, Oklahoma and Florida, Georgia, or the other way around, depending on your fandom. But we did those neutral site, big long historic rivalry games, so they're really good to listen to in an evergreen kind of way. You don't want to be in the moment listening to college football or basketball or whatever. You just want to remember a rivalry. Maybe you've got some details.
Speaker 1: Sports Wars, sports Wars, So there you go, sports Wars fully indoctrinated into the old Wondery podcast ecosystem. We're very excited about it. The other thing that I should point out here is that the reverb line's going to be open this coming weekend. Four weight Verbal one saw a few people called in during the couple of games we had this weekend, not going to get a chance to play those apologize because we're still doing some maintenance, but we'll take care of that in time for all the week one action. As always, you can follow along on Facebook, on Twitter, on Instagram, and of course the subreddit. If you're an overballer, there is a teaming community Overballers that keeps the conversation going. Really if you're going out to reddit dot com, slash our slash solid Verbal had a chance to meet our good friend Peter who runs the soliverbal subreddit down in DC during our live show. And oh, by the way, if you haven't listened to the live shows yet, it's long. Show dropped at early morning on Sunday. But you get the flavor for all twenty four picks that Dan and I made in our Fantasy Things draft, spread out over two nights between Dallas, Texas on August the seventeenth and Washington, DC on August the eighteenth. That's out there.
Speaker 2: We're already seeing. We're seeing points roll in already, we are seeing points are probably already been. I saw because I selected not spoiler alert, I selected Marty Smith committing to a bit. Oh yeah, he's going to be calling Louisville Notre Dame from a blimp. I believe, Yeah, is that what's happening?
Speaker 1: I believe that's the yes. In celebration of the college football one fifty thing, he will be up there with.
Speaker 2: Yeah McGee I in promoting the Fantasy Things show on Twitter, I just did a simple search of Marty Smith gift and it is literally all all the gifts that are presented are Marty Smith committing to a bit. There's no just like Marty Smith looking just like waving at the camera. Marty Smith Hams commits to the bit. It's oh, he's committing to the bit. So that was a fantasy thing I selected and that's already pang dividends and check out the fantasy thing.
Speaker 1: Show mom aged Tex. She texted that Chris Collinsworth was selling some sort of NBC drama. Oh really, he doesn't call on a Yeah, I didn't see it, so I have to go back to football see if I can find it. But Chris collins Worth on whatever Sunday night football broadcast they had going was.
Speaker 2: Now he's Kirkhurbs Street selling Wendy's Spicy Nuggies. Is that what's happening?
Speaker 1: I don't know if that's well, probably to mainstream, yeah, to get points for you. But it's happening, man, It is all happening here. College football is going to be in full swing before we know. It's all sorts of ways you can connect with the verbal. We're also going to have a pickup game. People have asked about the pickup game of the process of getting that set up with their friends over at Chalk Line so stay tuned for that. The link will be up on the website before long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this fantasy thing that we're referencing is a broadcaster becoming a spokesperson for like a company that is not one of the three or four or five industry leaders in that category. Because it was like Laura Rutledge and Marty Smith for Academy Outdoors Sports. I believe that was. So if brock Heward is doing dunk a Use commercials, yeah, you better believe that counts. That's what we're looking for. So Daniel, shall we get rolling here? Let's do it.
Speaker 1: We have sort of stundi breaking news.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that could be.
Speaker 1: Well, we had Florida.
Speaker 2: That's right, we're doing this Monday.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Florida knocking off Miami. This one took place at Camping World Stadium in Orlando. The first, I guess really big game of the year happened on Week zero.
Speaker 2: Great Drone shot opening the game up.
Speaker 1: Great drone Shot was an interesting scenario for young Jaron Williams, the new starting quarterback for the Miami Hurricanes. I thought showed some promise, but ultimately Miami's offensive line overwhelmed by Florida's defensive line and something like ten sacks in that football game, and it really was incumbent on Florida to just win the game at the end, to win the game at the end, to not try to lose, which is sort of what they tried to do. Felipe Franks with a horrible backbreaking interception. If not for a non sportsman like conduct penalty that went against Miami, perhaps the situation would have been a little bit more favorable towards the Hurricanes. But a last they get the ball back late in the game, Jared Williams has a chance to win it. There are a couple pass interference calls. Nonetheless, Florida ends up getting the w. Dan Mullens said as much at the end, basically what I said in the beginning, Like man, I aged a lot on that last drive and route to Florida starting off the season one and zero. What was your takeaway just generally from a very high level of this game.
Speaker 2: I just everything was pretty much sloppy. I mean, we say explosion plays that were largely a result of bad tackling. We saw Miami all out fail to protect Jaron Williams in his first start at quarterback, and I am hopeful we'll start with We'll start with Florida. Flabe. Franks threw some bad passes, but seemed to be improved in terms of command and accuracy overall. I mean he threw he had that one ridiculous pass up the seam, which is you that's the Felipe Franks experience. You're like, ah, this guy's kind of all over the place and green and rocky, and then he just throws an absolute dime. He seemed to be more poised in control early against a very good Miami defense, So I like to see that neither team could really run, and just the slop and inconsistency of playing your first game of the season against a legit opponent showed itself pretty pretty clearly. So from Florida perspective, you get the win. That's great against a what should be a pretty good Miami team, and from Miami, hopefully Jaron Williams stays alive all year long. Behind that life was really rough. It was a rough watch because I thought they game planned, especially early on, pretty well for him. A lot of quick passes and screens. Just get it. They knew what they had and what they didn't have from this offense, and there's only so much you can do. That kind of thing only works for so long if you don't have a next move, and Miami really struggled to find that next move. So I get a couple explosion plays, they go down the field a couple times successfully, but ultimately Florida just had the best thing in this game, which was the favorable matchup defensive line against offensive line.
Speaker 1: Florida with four turnovers in this game, which is something they obviously need to clean up. You see a big improvement between week one and nine two, in this case week zero in week two. Whenever Florida plays next, I would expect that Dan mullen is going to clean some of the stuff up. Miami, as he said, has a pretty good defense, so we'll see how they progress from this point forward. But Yeah, definitely a sloppy showing to start things off and ends to the other game that we saw on oh Saturday evening between Yeah, Arizona and Hawaii. Arizona got in a very early hole down fourteen to nothing. It went exactly the way I think you expect a lot of Arizona games to go this year, where kind of devolves into a shootout. Before you know it, it's all on the arm or legs of Khalil Tate. Khalil Tate scrambles towards the goal line on the last play of the game, ends up being stopped one yard short of scoring potentially the tying touchdown, and Arizona starts off on the wrong foot, on a sloppy foot in their own right, losing by seven on the road in a Loja stadium to the Warriors.
Speaker 2: Can we fully comprehend how difficult it is to win the turnover battle by four turnovers and put up over five hundred yards of offense and have the most dangerous dual threat quarterback in a major conference and lose to a team in the Mountain West that is not a Mountain West power. Hawaii is certainly a team on the come up. They have a lot of returning guys that should win games this year, but the degree of difficulty in doing that, And as I was watching this game fully knowing the result, as I said, I went to sleep at halftime in Florida, Miami. No shame well fully watching this entire game play to play, thinking how in the hell is Arizona going to give this away and then you see a backbreaking pick here, then you see a bad third down play there, and just situationally, Arizona when they had opportunities, they just blew so many of them. I think they had nine or ten penalties. And that's a week zero thing or a first game thing, but degree of difficulty, like not even mad, kind of impressed.
Speaker 1: Kind of impressed, wild yeah, kind of impressed by the way Khalil Tate three sixty one through the air, oh one awight on the ground. Any losing effort, yeah, oh my god. To open the season with that kind of losing effort. So Arizona will be dangers on offense there.
Speaker 2: I think they look deeper than ever skill position wise from where they've been these past couple of years. Defense is raw, That secondary was rough at times.
Speaker 1: All right, So as we now turn the page and move into week one mode, fully, hm, let's talk about some of the starting quarterbacks that have been named. I'm gonna run little list here and just give me any hot takes or just regular takes if you have them. Ben Hicks will be your starter at Arkansas. Some thought it might be Nick Starkle, but it's going to be Ben Hicks instead played.
Speaker 2: For played for Chad Morris at SMU. So there's the he's a familiar guy under Yeah, that's fine. I don't think it'll make a difference either way. Matt McKay will be your starter at NC State. Yeah, McKay was going to be the guy. McKay.
Speaker 1: I don't think that was too much to Yeah. Yeah, So here's one. Is it Michael Pennix or Michael Poenix Junior winning the job at Indiana?
Speaker 2: I believe it's Pennix. Damn, I know, I'm so sorry, eleven year old Dan Anti. He has won the job over Peyton Ramsey. He has in coming quarterback Peyton Ramsey, who put up numbers, who had, you know, put together nice drives and streaks of action. But I think it was long considered that Pennix was the superior talent. He came in as a pretty highly touted recruit and Tom Allen familiar with him from his time recruiting in Florida. So it makes sense that once healthy, because he I think he tore his ACL last year against Penn State, that he was going to be the guy if he was fully ready to maximize his skills.
Speaker 1: He's also a lefty, which good to see at quarterback. Not enough lefty quarterbacks out there. Correct, Michael Pennix will be your starting quarterback for the Indiana Hoosiers. Hopefully he can, you know, get the ball to my boy Nick Westbrook down the field. Maybe they can generate some explosion plays, stretch the field a bit. That'd be nice for Indiana. Okay, Florida States they are going with James Blackman. You might remember that Alex horny Brook came over from Wisconsin as a grad transfer. Wily Taggert told me to have a chance to compete for the job. I think I said at one point he represented a clear upgrade over James Blackman. Apparently that is not the case, Wooly Taggert gonna go back to James Blackman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Alex Harnybrook was going the wrong direction from good starter town to great backup Ville or whatever I said during the SEC preview.
Speaker 1: Let's go with Wisconsin here and Jack Cone Hm wins the job over Graham Mertz, who was the all world everything freshman Jack Cone as we know him here in the show. King Cone played in five games, started four last year when Hornybrook was hurt mostly gave the ball to Jonathan Taylor tailback.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was not super impressed with him, though he made plays against Miami. And I believe the pin Straight Bowl your an America's favorite bowl game on the Eastern seaboards. So yeah, has the experience has has shown Flashes is probably too strong. Twinkles, what's a minor version of a flash, Twinkles of upside, So perhaps it's a glasses get Hurtz comfortable and maybe by the time October. You know, I don't think it's going to be a long leash for for Jack Cone.
Speaker 1: Your boy Gaja Gubrud, No, Sir, has lost the starting job at Washington State. Instead it goes to Anthony Gordon. He's a fifth year senior. Yeah, was a junior college transfer. Mike Leech going with mister Gordon the fisherman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, looked better. And I think Gaja Gubrud is coming off of some tricky foot situations where he was hurt last year. Was beat up in the spring, so I don't know if it was a health thing, But apparently Anthony Gordon is the guy and generally when Mike Leach selects a quarterback, he throws for four hundred thousand yards, so he must be confident in him.
Speaker 1: Chase Garber's you're starting quarterback at Cal. He eats now Devin Monster kind of a supreme on Devon Moster. Excuse me, yes, a little surprising, but Devon Monster wasn't.
Speaker 2: Starting at UCLA. He came in thinking he'd have a chance because quarterback play has not been strong suit for Cal, and I guess Chase Garber's just was better. I'm not all that confident after watching him last year that their offense is going to be appreciably better, but you know, always open to it.
Speaker 1: Hank Bachmeyer the new starting quarterback at Boise State. We'll talk about Boise a little bit more as the show progresses. Formerly, a four star recruit head offers from a couple big schools, ends up going to Boise, ends up winning out the starting job. He beat out Chase Cord, who was redshirt sophomore and a senior Jalen Henderson.
Speaker 2: And so he's a freshman. He's true freshman. I believe, true freshman.
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: All right, that'll be interesting. We got a couple true freshmen. I mean, we talked about bo Nicks at Auburn and now Hank Bachmeyer here we'll see I am. I am optimistic that Brian Hearson is not just going with somebody because he he came in as a touted recruit or gives them the biggest opportunity to grow at quarterback. He is the dude, and I imagine they're going to be pretty good.
Speaker 1: All right. A couple ones that I think were pretty obvious, but I'll just list them anyway. Sean Clifford getting the nod at Penn State, Jacob Eason getting the nod at Washington. Tommy Stevens officially named starter at Mississippi State. We knew about Brandon Wimbush. We'll talk about Brandon Wimbush a little bit more here on the Group of Five show, but he will be your starter at UCF. Ryan Willis is again going to be the starter at Virginia Tech. Here's one that was somewhat interesting. Brandon Peters. Brandon Peters starter at Illinois.
Speaker 2: Right, Brandon Peters starter Illinois. There was a couple freshmen in the mix. I don't think ILLINOI is gonna be very good with or without Brandon Peters, but hopefully he realizes, you know something, closer to what he looked like against Purdue a couple of years ago. Outside of that, yeah, he's a guy we know. His name should be noted that Jake Hayner transferred the guy now who is going to be behind Jacob Eeson. I imagine he thought he was going to win the competition and they gave it to Easton or Easton earned it, and Haynah was like, yeah, I'm out, I'm out, I'm gone, So Washington down and that's going to happen. We saw it in Nebraska last year where somebody just does not win the quarterback competition and they go elsewhere to find their place in the college football world. I saw what Josh Jackson official Maryland.
Speaker 1: Josh Jackson official at Maryland.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's good. West Virginia, Austin Kendall, the Oklahoma transfer, Justin Fields, Ohio State, Jalen Hurts Oklahoma all obvious. Jamie Newman at wake YEP over over Sam Hartman. Jamie Newman I think looked a little bit more promising near the end of last season. So a couple surprises, a couple young couple young freshmen that get the nod. We'll be interesting to see, especially now that one of them is starting arguably the biggest game of the weekend for Auburn against Oregon. But good to see the competitions coming to a close and excited to see some new faces.
Speaker 1: All right, so why don't we place the final piece of this jigsaw puzzle and talk a little group of five here on the show.
Speaker 2: Let's do it? Play the group of five sound that sandwich I'm so long, Oh, I'm so hungry.
Speaker 1: Oh boy, I just hit all the buttons on the soundboard here.
Speaker 2: I heard a double spicy, Like I heard you hit the I'm spicy sound twice, which wow, feeling it.
Speaker 1: I think it's fitting that we are recording our group of five show on International Dog Day. Dan, Okay, hey, why is that International Dog Day as an underdog day?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Talking to group, I'm talking about group of five teams. Excuse me. So we've got a number of teams here. I've got a list of like, I don't know, thirteen to fifteen on my end, just teams that were of interest to me. I don't have quite the level of depth that maybe I would say a Power five team, But nonetheless, these are teams that we talk about week in and week out teams that certainly have Power five opponents of note, and it would not surprise, it should not surprise when or if one of these teams pulls an upset throughout the course of the year. Do you have a list in front of you of some big group of five Power five non con matchups that we're gonna have in front of us here in twenty nineteen.
Speaker 2: Call me crazy, ty, and you can play whatever associated sound you want to right off the bat. I'm taking Hawaii over Arizona. I'm just doing it. I'm just doing it. Call me crazy. I like I'm in a shootout. A little sloppy deep passing turnovers, give me the Warriors. Yeah, So there's some interesting matchups. I think Fresno USC Week one, with what Fresno has done these past couple of years and what Jeff Tedford specifically has done turning around that team. New phases on offense for Fresno, but new offense entirely for USC. So I think that's a pretty worthy test for USC. If not, I mean, I think he was UNLV who's run all over USC recently. So I have Fresno stands a pretty good chance in that game.
Speaker 1: Hey, Fresno might have been like one of the best Group of five teams last year.
Speaker 2: If not they with a Mountain West America's Group of five conference.
Speaker 1: Yes, for sure.
Speaker 2: Sure on a different note, but like a more entertaining to me note ole Miss Memphis I think could be all sorts of weird and fun and look a little bit like Arizona, Hawaii.
Speaker 1: I love me some memphisis year.
Speaker 2: Brady White two more years.
Speaker 1: I love me more some memphisis here. I'm not crazy that they've got two new coordinators, but yeah, I love me some Memphis and some Brady White.
Speaker 2: And they still have the pop coxy magnifico trio. Right, that is correct. We have Florida State Boise State in Jacksonville opening the season. No Brett Rippon, no new starter, Hank Bachmeier, James Blackman.
Speaker 1: I think I saw that Florida State's a five, five and a half point favorite in that game.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. Boise's replacing a lot on offense, and they're replacing They've replaced their defensive coordinator. I think they have co coordinators. They brought in a guy from Eastern Washington. They promote somebody from within, so it's a newer look Boise State than it's been in a long time. What's Madison Avenue has gone couple receivers Brett Rippon, so.
Speaker 1: There to go. They're pretty stocked that receiver. They're in a good place. They recruited well there, They're at a good spot there. Their line should be good. Obviously breaking in a freshman quarterback tough spot week one. I don't care who you are. Tough spot freshman Week one on the road, neutral site game, neutral site in air quotes because the game's in Florida, correct, But I think the real issue for Boise State in this one could be if Florida State can get anything going with its offensive line, which should not be taken for granted. We'll talk about more of this on our Week one preview show later in the week, but I think cam Akers could pose an issue for Boise State here because the front seven for them isn't a particular area of depth. I could see a situation where Boise State wears down, especially in that Florida heat.
Speaker 2: But well, oh, Marvin Wilson's good Houston, Oklahoma, which should not answer, but give us insight into some questions for both of these teams. Houston, obviously hiring Dana Holgerson, bringing back a hopefully fully healed Derek King at quarterback, replacing a lot on defense as they sort of move around schemes. Think they're going four down line, but noow movies more before three. It's going to take a bit for this Houston defense, and you know what, it might take a bit for this Oklahoma defense. But that's also week one. I want to say, it's Sunday. That's Sunday again, Sunday night, Houston Oklahoma should be pretty fun all things considered. Is that it No, No, I got much more. I didn't know if you wanted to jump in with anything. Well, Cincinnati Ohio State justin fields throwing into a pretty nasty defense. Week two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So I like Houston. I'm excited about Houston, excited about Derek King. I'm not excited about their defense. And now, okay that as some take abak that game in Week one between Houston and Oklahoma, I think is a recipe for a lot of points. For sure, the Cincinnati game between them and Ohio State is interesting on a number of different fronts. Keep in mind that Cincinnati won what eleven games last year should have this in front of me. I want to say, eleven games last year, and they did so with a freshman quarterback and like a sophomore running back and a bunch of injuries across the board. So it would seemingly be going pretty well for Luke Fickle. It was only year two under the Luke Fickle era at Cincinnati, and given the fact that Ohio State they're they're kind of figuring some stuff out as well. I'm not saying Ohio State is gonna lose the Cincinnati, but Cincinnati's gonna play him tough.
Speaker 2: Tulane Auburn, Okay, I mean the I'm not super confident in this Tulane team overall. I like their defense a whole bunch. I like the way they finished out the season. Offensively, they need to, uh they need to be a little bit better through the air. But I think it's gonna be tricky. I think it's going to be tricky for Auburn. And I think I believe it's the week after Oregon, so you know, maybe a letdown situation. Uh, Wazoo Houston, We mentioned Houston, but you know, Wazoo doing new things well, has a new quarterback. Anyway, on offense, So Houston really getting tested against some offenses early on.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Uh, Stanford, UCF, I think is gonna be amazing. Why UCF. They've gotten a lot of attention because of their offense, and we saw Scott Frost, we saw Josh Hypel year one, put up huge numbers with Mackenzie Milton. And even though Dariel mack gets hurt, Brandon Wimbush is the starter, which I'm sure you have thoughts about. Oh yeah, it's their defense and just overall talent level, which they are. I mean, they're as good as many many upper level power five schools, and Stanford is an upper level power five school. So this is just a flat out good game. This isn't upset alert. This isn't like ooh, little guy is gonna come take down. No, no, just a a good college football game. I'm excited for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, we talked rape secondary, We're talking about Richie Grant really good.
Speaker 1: We talked about our skepticism around Stanford when we did that preview, we did the pack golf preview, and the defense isn't what it used to be. This is a really good offense for UCF. And yeah, I mean I defense Stanford. The defense will be fine. The line is sort of trying to figure it out and a bit questionable, but the rest of the defense should be good enough. And offensively, despite all the jokes I made about Brandon Wimbush for the last two years at Notre Dame, he still is a very talented quarterback and he's good enough to win. We saw that he's good enough to win some high level college football games. I think with this offense around him, he's going to have an opportunity to thrive. So this is a really good team. You mentioned the Stanford game. They've also got pit They've got Temple, They've got Cincinnati. They're probably the favorite in the American East. The gap between them and maybe the next closest in the American East has probably closed, and it's not quite as much of a clear cut thing as it was in the past. But this is still a very good football team. I'll accept it.
Speaker 2: At State. North Carolina doesn't really intrigue me as a Capital C college football game like the previous one does, but we get some insight into two new coaches. I believe North Carolina is starting Sam Howell, right, Yeah, bit of Baker Mayfield in him. That's a fantasy thing is reference that you have to listen to. We're not just being randomly obnoxious, We're being pointedly obnoxious. An app State with Eli Drinkwitz. What do they look like bringing their quarterback back and Zach Thomas. I think it's gonna be interesting insight. That's all I have for that.
Speaker 1: Zach Thomas was real good. Last year he was he was State was real good. Last year State was good. Zach Thomas was real good. Talk about a dude, he's real, real good.
Speaker 2: Georgia Tech Temple to finish out September just insight again, two new coaches, one who left behind one of these schools. Great. I'm excited to see what I saw what the Tech depth chart looked like. It was like an effort based four two five is literally what it said on the depth chart. As for what system they're running, which gets my full enthusiastic support behind Georgia Tech. But yeah, Temple, Rod Kerry, we'll see. I think it's going to be a new beast for him. But I'm excited for this game.
Speaker 1: Temple's been very good at hiring coaches, Yeah, if only because a large number of their coaches all their coaches over the last couple of years, their new coaches have gone elsewhere. Many Diaz went elsewhere in a month.
Speaker 2: Former Temple coach Mani Das, You're correct, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Went somewhere else in a month. So they've proven I think that they know how to pick good coaches. And Rod Carey has had success elsewhere. I'm curious to see what he can do in Philly.
Speaker 2: All right, fair enough, where would you like to go to speak further about some of these group of five games and conferences?
Speaker 1: So Dan, here's what we're going to do on this show. I've got this list like fifteen teams, fiften really good group of five teams. I want to talk through each of them, and I want to see if we can place them on a totem pole kind of an impromptu ranking to figure out who are the real contenders, the elite level competitors who can compete with anybody, right, and who are the teams that are maybe a run or two below that, Just to try and provide some context, because again, you listed off all the incredible non conference matchups that we're going to see. It stands the reason we'll see some upsets there. How do some of these teams fit within the greater team that is college football in twenty nineteens. That sound like a plan.
Speaker 2: So I think how we define the top pack of teams is they can hang with basically anybody. Maybe not Oklahoma, maybe not Clemson, maybe not Ohio State, maybe not Alabama or Georgia. But after that top top, no doubt about it group. These are teams that can give anybody trouble, if not just win, just beat a team. So I will I'll say UCF, okay for sure, as in that group, I would I would love to put Fresno State and Boise State in that group. Okay, I'd put Memphis in that group, all right. And I don't know if I'm there with Ohio yet, but I do like them a lot. I do like Nathan Rourke and Ohio and the Bobcats.
Speaker 1: So I'm with you on UCF because UCF has clearly been there for a couple of years, still a really good football team. Yeah, I'm also with you on Boise because Boise has also been there. Boise brings back a ton from last season, and I think they're at least a sixteen point favorite in like seven conference games. So Boise State is going to be going to be pretty good again. I'm all in on Memphis this year. I feel pretty good about Memphis. I don't know if I want to lump anyone else in there. Maybe arm Do I put Army in there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean I should have put Cincinnati in there. I should have put Cincinnati and Army I think belongs in that conversation as well. I didn't. Wasn't. They're not technically group of five since their FBS independent. But yes, and we should be talking Army absolutely as a non power five, Notre Dame type school that we should be putting in this conversation.
Speaker 1: I'm writing these down now just so we have them. So we've got you SEF. Sorry if this is confusing for you listening, but we're really just working this out for the first time here. Yeah, on the air, we've got UCF. I think that's a given. We've got Boise that is also a given. Beyond that, I think we agree on Memphis. Yes, Yes, Memphis is good enough to hang with pretty much anyone. And then after Memphis we start talking about, all right, what about Fresno. Fresno is interesting, yep, what about Army Armising?
Speaker 2: It would genuinely surprise me. If Army did not win double digit games this year, you.
Speaker 1: Have Cincinnati here, correct, and then we've got what do you do about a team like a Houston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think Houston's there. I don't think Houston's there. I think defensively, they're going to be such an open book, if you will, that it's going to They're going to be more of like the seven and five, eight and four type. Even if things go incredibly well on offense, it's just a year one thing to me, dangerous wild card but not upper upper level. Could hang with pretty much everybody in college football in the way that some of those other teams could. Cincinnati has UCF I believe, at home and Houston on the road in consecutive weeks. But otherwise it's a pretty good looking schedule till the end of the year. In Memphis. That's that's what's nice. I mean, they have Ohio State early. It's a I wouldn't say tough. It's a sizable schedule, but I think they're at the point now with defense, quarterback, running game that they can they can weather a lot.
Speaker 1: You talked about Houston, and I think the big liability for Houston is is clearly their defense. Did we mention Dearic King? If we did, can we mention him again? Because the potential three thousand yard passer, one thousand yard rusher, He's got an incredible grouping of skill talent around him that I think will help. My issue is, of course, the defense.
Speaker 2: And Dana Holgerson running the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and Dana Holgerson, Yeah, yeah, I could see this team being anywhere between seven and five and ten and two.
Speaker 2: Ten and two is a big ask.
Speaker 1: Really, there's a lot of variability there. The defense is so mediocre, it's just a matter of how mediocre did they end up being. And I think that's the difference between honestly, two losses in five.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're a little optimistic with Houston. I think it's a lot of offense and that's sort of it. But I'm looking I'm pulling up their schedule right now, and we mentioned the Oklahoma matchup and the Wazoo matchup, So don't feel great about either one of those. At Tulane's going to be tough. At North Texas, even though it's out of conference in a smaller school, I think, you know, mean Green even with the new offensive Cordney will be pretty tough at UCF. Memphis. Navy, I imagine will be improved this year after hitting a pretty low point last year. I just there's a lot there that's going to really push this Houston defense.
Speaker 1: I do agree with you though that Houston's probably not on that level. The defense keeps them beneath that level. But they're going to be interesting. That opening week game against Oklahoma for a couple of quarters could be interesting.
Speaker 2: I think, well, I think they're going to ultimately lose comfortably, but I think they have the most exciting single player offensively of any group of five school. And if d err King is all right, for sure, let's.
Speaker 1: Talk about North Texas because North Texas was not on that list. Yeah, North Texas might have the best offense in one of the best offenses in the group of five, probably the best offense in Conference w HUSA at a minimum. But really, like Mason Fine, really like Seth Latrell, who's been on the program before, talking through all things scheme, the defense loses standouts at both linebacker and cornerback, which I think is going to play somewhat of a limiting factor. But they're really good at the back end of their defense. They know how to rush the passer, which is nice. They've got a non conference slate against SMU and Houston, which isn't crazy, So it feels like this is a season that has a lot of upset potential. It's just a look at the defense, and much like Houston, it's sort of tough to square that with the offense and really get a good feel for where I think this team ends up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they had a good offense last year. I didn't always finish drives, but they moved the ball really well. It's nice to have Mason Fine back. I'm not even sure which offense I like better. I just think it's going to be sort of wide open offensively Conference USA wise. Defensively, there are other teams that are definitely ahead, even with what Marshall loses. They were so good last year up front, and I was very excited because I thought they were getting I'm talking about thundering herd. Now I've shifted the conversation. I thought they were going to have a guy named ty Tyler, which no official defensive lineman of the Solid Verbal, but he transferred to Louisville, so Alas no Conference USA ty Tyler, which was all name USA. So yeah, I think North Texas is going to be good, but you know, redoing a little bit on offense, but the continuity of quarterback and coach and okay, skill guy should be promising enough.
Speaker 1: They're definitely in that grouping I think below the very top. They probably fall along the same lines, maybe a bit below Houston, but they're kind of there in the pecking order.
Speaker 2: Yeah, offense took a step back last year, but still good. I want to talk about Ohio next, so let's do that.
Speaker 1: Ohio started the year last year three and three, and then after that they played like one of the better teams in the country. They were really good over a stretch last season and you got to be excited this year because Nathan Rourke is back always he is always back. They've got a fair amount of depth along their defensive line, particularly at end and at cornerbacks. So group of five team pretty stout when it comes to key elements of their defense. I think that's something else that I like. But they've got some issues along their line wide at their skill positions, and they've got real issues. Much like my Notre Dame fighting Irish right up the spine of that defense. I think if you run right out Ohio, that could be a problem. That's something that Frank Solish needs to figure out. Frank Soulich, by the way, still coaching, which is amazing.
Speaker 2: Yes, the great thing about Ohio is this was really a tale of two seasons, like you mentioned last year, and so if there is any momentum to what they did at the end of last year, which is winning what six of seven including the bowl game, just demolishing a not that good San Diego State, but still when you shut out a team in a bowl, that's a thing. And they don't make it to the MAX Championship Game, but they still look like they were among the MAX best last year, especially as good as they got on defense, you know, in mid to late October.
Speaker 1: So I think I put Ohio a rungbull in North Texas then, mainly because well because of my questions on defense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I like Nathan Rourke though more than I like Mason Fine, more than Mason Fine. Really yeah, I think so, yeah, it was really good.
Speaker 1: He's a senior now, and despite the fact that Ohio has been really good in the Mac East, they still haven't won that division. It's true the last two years, so hopefully for his sake, that's something that they can change. Let's talk about Fresno now. They've got I think a fair amount of targets coming back from a year ago, not the least of which his guys who can come out of the backfield and catch passes. But the new quarterback thing. Jeff Tedford in the past has been pretty good at dealing with that situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he reached out with Marcus mcmaray in Oregon State, bring him in and looked great.
Speaker 1: He's been outstanding in his time at Fresno. That's looking like an incredible hire for the Bulldogs. I'm just not sure how high I want to rank them, knowing that this is their starting point with the new quarterback.
Speaker 2: The defense is it's been great. Recruiting has been really strong, as it always should be at Fresno State. You should be able to find plenty of high level Mountain West players. If you remember my plan, if Oregon slash budgets by like seventy five percent, would to be just cherry pick whatever. Fresno, Boise and San Diego State are recruiting because they're good at identifying, you know, those dudes that they can turn into draft type players, like NFL type players. Jeff Allison was one of the more recent guys at linebacker who was everywhere for the Bulldogs. He's gone, but there are bodies in the San Joaquin Valley. So I'm still pretty high on Fresno State and will continue to do so and continue to be so unless proven otherwise. So I think I like Fresno out coming out of the Mountain West again, despite the quarterback uncertain Fresno higher.
Speaker 1: Or lower than North Texas?
Speaker 2: Higher? Oh, definitely higher?
Speaker 1: Higher? I agree, yeah, higher, lower than Ohio. You had Ohio over North Texas. Oh, Fresno is above Ohio. Yeah, fresnent's a bub Ohio.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's Fresno above.
Speaker 2: Army probably, yeah. I just I'm always worried with Army going down, you know, eleven points and then having to to change things.
Speaker 1: Up a little bit. It's Fresno above Houston, Yes, Fresno above Boise. Yeah, it's Fresno above Alabama. Just shoot me straight.
Speaker 2: Is all they played last year. I believe Adam Amin called that game. They are not above Alabama. Fresnoe schedule this year at USC Minnesota to start the season off. Not easy. Uh So we'll learn a little bit about the Bulldogs early on. But in terms of their road schedule, they travel to Hawaii, which is always going to be tricky and I don't I guess it doesn't work where you get like a week off before or after because they just have a schedule. They're at the Inego State but otherwise Utah States at home, novat Is at home. This was a decent Avata team last year. I think they'll take a step back, but all in all, Mountain West wise, pretty advantageous schedule. They don't have boys C in the regular season. I don't believe they have Wyoming in the regular season, who you know, have been trickyly these past couple of years and I think are going to continue to improve. So yeah, I like the Bulldogs a whole bunch.
Speaker 1: You mentioned San Diego State. Last year they had a losing streak which was uncharacteristic.
Speaker 2: M m.
Speaker 1: They struggled on offense, the defense wore down mm hmm, and it didn't work out as well as it has in past years for San Diego State. Right this year, they've got a loaded running back core and they're going to run the ball a lot.
Speaker 2: This is what more of a spread look, But yes, this is.
Speaker 1: What they're gonna do. They're gonna run the crap out of the ball. And the schedule sets up pretty well for them. According to projections, they're in line for like eleven wins.
Speaker 2: San Diego State, San Diego State. I think they're coming back down to earth a little bit. I think they're more like eight to nine wins.
Speaker 1: Don't shoot the messenger. I understand the numbers, like the Aztecs, all right.
Speaker 2: But I mean it's because what they like John Washington, They're like they schedule trol The ball schedule is very favorable. Yah. They're replacing a lot on this defense, which is good bad, who knows. But I just I don't think they have the pieces that they had two three, four years ago when they were just an incredible half team, when they were keeping teams to like five point two points a games that level.
Speaker 1: To app State, let's do it as we continue jumping around.
Speaker 2: Better than Alabama. Yes, it's the answer. Preemptive.
Speaker 1: App State's got a new coach, Eli Drinkquitz comes over from NC State. He's got a really good, healthy football program.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. Incredibly.
Speaker 1: App State is twenty second nationally in returning production, so a lot of guys come back who have been productive. We mentioned Zach Thomas, a full on dude. Last year was his first year as starting quarterback. The defense has been really good, very consistent over the last couple of seasons. The problem that I have with app State is that they're going to ted Roof now.
Speaker 2: The problem with that state is that Scott Sadderfield is no longer Scott Saderfield no longer there. But yeah, I have.
Speaker 1: Been part of that ted Roof experience before.
Speaker 2: That's true.
Speaker 1: You've heard me joke about leaky Roof on the show dating back to his time at Penn State. I don't really know what to expect. I would hope that the defense continues playing at a very high level, but I have seen ted Roof's work before, and I reserve the right to be skeptical.
Speaker 2: I think that's fair. They have a beatable North Carolina team week three, as we mentioned, they get a chance at the revenge on Halloween against Georgia Southern. They're traveling, They're traveling to Troy, New Coach at Troy and they're at South Carolina as well later on in the season. So app State has its work cut out for him. But new coach and Will Healey at Charlotte on their schedule, I think they're going to be pretty good. I think this is going to They're going to take a step back, but not demonstrably so eight and four, nine and three. When you have the quarterback, when you have the pieces on defense, which I always love that combo, they're good. They're gonna be good. They're not gonna be capital g good. They're not gonna be like they were these past couple of years, probably, But I like, I like the talent they have on this roster enough that they're going to be in every I can't imagine them just being fully not in either what North Carolina or the South Carolina or the Georgia Southern Game or the Troy Again, they're gonna be in everything, if not winning, you know, damn near double digits.
Speaker 1: The thing is, they're still far ahead of the rest of the Sun Belt. Yeah, and they're only gonna be dogs against South Carolina. Otherwise, this is still a really good football team. Eli Drinkwitz picked a great situation, a great definitely. I don't know if they're on that top rung, but they're still in a very healthy spot.
Speaker 2: I think they're on the second rung. I do. I think they can hang with anybody on that first rung, but in terms of week two week, because we saw them hang with Penn State last year. Sure, So if if you consider them me a first run team, I can't mount a significant argument against it. There are teams that I like in the Sun Belt. I don't think the gap is super wide, but they are the class of the league. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So here's my thing with Army as we move on, Army plays Michigan an all offseason. We've been talking about how that's a tasty non conference game.
Speaker 2: Mm hm.
Speaker 1: We could see that as potentially an issue for Michigan.
Speaker 2: That's I mean, Army is a potential issue for anybody.
Speaker 1: I like Kelvin Hopkins A lot took over at quarterback last year was outstanding. I'm curious now to see how the line reacts with Bryce Holland gone, Okay, a big time center. Yeah, well that fine still compete at that same high level, I think. So the other thing is they lost their defensive coordinator to Mac Brown in North Carolina.
Speaker 2: I didn't think Jay Bateman was great. He was fine. I mean, the so much of their defense is their offense is that alley oop of the offense, you know, just completely wearing down the other team and the other offense getting a little bit cold on the sideline. Army's at Michigan this year, but beyond that at Hawaii is going to be That's a trip, ty They at least get a week off before traveling seventy thousand miles from from the Hudson Valley to the islands in the middle of the Pacific, But otherwise, what is the schedule they get. Tulane's tricky at home. Western Kentucky has not been good, and I don't think Tyson Helton's gonna do all that much this year anyway. San Jose State's been not great. Air Force should be improved, and they're they're always tricky, and the game is in Colorado. But UMass BMI Navy improved Navy right now, not sure it matters because Army has taken control, so UTSA hasn't been good. Rice hasn't been good. The sure thing losses Michigan, and even that doesn't feel like a one sure thing.
Speaker 1: All right, So let's do a quick regrouping here of the totem pole. We've got a few teams left to discuss songs at the top. We've got UCF Underneath UCF, we've got Boise and Memphis. Sound right so far?
Speaker 2: I would have Fresno for me in that you know that group.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna put Memphis above Fresno.
Speaker 2: But why Boise above Fresno?
Speaker 1: Both teams are going to have new starting quarterbacks. I feel like Boise's got more coming back that I feel.
Speaker 2: Okay, a lot on that defense. There's a lot coming back on that boys, a lot on the defense. Yeah, okay, I would still I hesitate to have any sort of tear or wrung with one of those teams and not the other.
Speaker 1: After that, after Fresno, I guess we have what Houston?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Houston? App State? I think is in that conversation Ohio. I think it's all how do.
Speaker 1: You feel app State versus Ohio? I think I go Ohio.
Speaker 2: I think, hey, go app State, app State?
Speaker 1: Ohio? Okay, yeah, in some words.
Speaker 2: Go upstate. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do we throw San Diego State at the bottom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm willing to talk about the Aztecs there. Cincinnati, I think has to be on that app State Ohio rung.
Speaker 1: Well, we didn't talk much about Cincinnati, but let's let's bring them up here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, since we've we did to talk about Memphis that much either, but they're at the top to discuss.
Speaker 1: We'll we'll bring up Memphis. Yeah sure, yeah, Cincinnati again. One eleven games last year. Desmond Ritter was a bit of a revelation. Inefficient in spots, but he knows how to use his legs, he knows how to extend plays, and he knows how to work with Michael Warren. The second the problem this year is that they are rebuilding the line, rebuilding the line. If they can rebuild it and have some level of success, the potential here is monstrous.
Speaker 2: Yeah, really really good.
Speaker 1: Last year the defense was very very good, dominant against the run. I am very curus is to see what happens now because they've got some turnover upfront. If they can still perform at a high level, they're gonna have an opportunity to show out against some quality opponents. You mentioned Ohio State, that run defense is going to have an opportunity to show what it can do. If they can't get that figured out in a hurry. If Ritter can't continue to play at the love we saw last year, that could be an issue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's all reasonable. But yeah, I mean the defense with the promising backfield, I think is plenty. To have Cincinnati in one of those wrung conversations, I think it's worth talking about. I mean there are elements of teams like even just in conference USA, UAB and Southern Miss both had great defenses last year, and Spencer Brown is back and should be incredible for the Blazers, Your UAB Blazers, So I think they're going to be in a nice place. Marshall, I mentioned is replacing a bunch of dudes, but defensively, they were in a great place. What are your Memphis thoughts? You have them right under uc Yeah, They've always been these past couple of years, not always so this past air of American football, Memphis has been right there with UCF. I mean, the offensive combination is super interesting. It's going to be a great offense. Yeah, it will be Brady White.
Speaker 1: You mentioned demonte Coxy Joey Magnifico at tight end. How do you not like him? The questions, the line questions, the line and the questions the coordinators. If you can get that sorted out, I think they're in really good shape defensively. They were very young a year ago, very young a year ago, and weren't we all we were all a lot young, much different world. If they're a little better on defense, that goes a long way. I like the fact that you look at their schedule, they're probably a favorite in just about every game. Yeah, so for me, there are just fewer things to worry about. So many of the pieces are in place. It's really just a matter of the line, the defense playing a little better than they did a year ago, and the coordinator's not screwing it up.
Speaker 2: I don't know again which wrong this is. I've lost out of the tiers. But Utah States, we're talking about Utah State. I've got him on my list as well. There we're talking about. What do you. Let's give him something to talk about.
Speaker 1: Ty. I don't like that, Jordan Love, I don't like that they hired Gary Anderson back. It was good for them all those years ago. He was he was Jordan like the higher But yeah, at quarterback is back. The receiving core, though, is entirely new. It is the offensive line bit of a question.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. And their defense was so good last year.
Speaker 1: Though the defense was really good last year. I loved David Woodward, but there's a lot of turnover at linebacker as well. Oh and it's safety. While we're at it.
Speaker 2: The thing that's rough about Utah State their schedule just doesn't stop. That's the problem.
Speaker 1: I think they are Fresno, Boise, he comes to town.
Speaker 2: They open at wake. San Diego's on the road, Sanego State's on the road. We've got BYU and Logan, I believe. But Air Force is on the road, Fresno's on the road. Wyoming's to be tricky at tricky out. Boise's at home at least, but not a lot of weeks off no for Utah State, and you know, thank god they have Jordan Love and a pretty experienced defense. But it's it's going to test them for sure.
Speaker 1: So let's round this out here. Yeah, we're in agreement that you CEF is one, U, c F is one, bois two. We have some disagreement over I guess the next three between Boise, Memphis and Fresno.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have Boise next. I'm gonna take I'm gonna take Fresno next.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're going Fresno next. I'm going high on the Bulldogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Then I'm going so I'm going u c F, Boise, Memphis and Fresno. You're going UCF Fresno, Boise and then Memphis Memphis, then Boise, Memphis and Boise. Okay, yeah, I think it's gonna be a downturn for Boise this year. After that, I think we get into the next rung is what I'm what I'm feeling here, and that next rung consists of probably Houston next, and in some combination of Cincinnati and app State.
Speaker 2: I'm taking Cincinnati over Houston.
Speaker 1: Cincinnati over Houston. Okay, I'm just I'm putting more value on defense here. Then we've got Ohio and San Diego State also on the list. There are maybe two or three other teams that we need to place here before we can let the fine people go. You toss state? Where does you toss state? Rank? On this?
Speaker 2: The schedule has they're in the they're in this worth talking about tier of group of five teams, but they're add or near the bottom.
Speaker 1: I'm going to put them above San Diego State. Okay, We've also got Army in here.
Speaker 2: I would have Army right after like I would have them probably after Boise Sincy somewhere in there.
Speaker 1: They're going to win double digits.
Speaker 2: I would have Ohio right around there. I think I have an app State over Ohio. I believe that's what I said, Yes, but my memory is short. We've also I want to say, I think I have to have Ohio over San Diego State. We last time these two teams played Ohio shut them the hell out for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't have North Texas on our list here. I have North Texas maybe right below app State.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've no, I got them below Utah State.
Speaker 1: Blow Utah State.
Speaker 2: Wow, I'm down on the mean green a little bit. Yeah, seven, eight and four.
Speaker 1: I think that's it for all the teams that we mentioned here. And I apologize to the listeners if this was a bit disorganized, but this is sort of a real conversation. We're working this out on the spot, trying to figure out are we come down on a group of five. There are a lot of teams to talk about, a lot of teams to talk about, but at a minimum, we have a consensus that our four favorite group of five teams are UCF, boy C, Memphis, and Fresno in no particular order.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna give you some wild cards.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's let's rifle through them, real quick.
Speaker 2: Wild cards to consider. I mean, we mentioned to Lane a couple times, but of all of these teams, they might have the best defensive line, and that is something that is something that is significant. So I'm saying keep an eye into Lane. They've got an angry wave logo. What's better than that. Temple was good a year ago, even with a new coach. I expect them to remain good, especially on defense. Conference USA wise, I think we covered everybody worth covering, and Neil Lanekiff and Fau, you know they have talent on offense. But man, what a step back last year. What an incredible step back. So it's hard to see just a complete reversal again. The bottom of Conference USA is is and should be rough, and that's unfortunate. Any any thoughts about UMAs new Mexico State b YU we haven't talked about. I'm kind of high on BYU. I don't know where they'd fit in among all of these teams as an independent, but with a young, promising quarterback and things in order. I think they should be okay, they just have a tough schedule. Listen to these these these first eight games for by Utah, Tennessee, USC Tennessee on the road, Washington at Toledo at USF which should be okay, not great, Uh, Boise State at Utah State. That's the first state. They have a bye before Utah State. They have a bye before Usflat's that's a slate. And then they finished pretty nicely with Liberty, Idaho State, UMass, San Diego State, both on the road. But I think Poise, I think by using me pretty good. Okay, Well they go nine and four last year, yeah nine one team I mean had a Bowl game. Yeah, that's they're improving. They're going in the right direction. Other teams at least, I mean not at least definitely worth mentioning from a group of five standpoint, I don't know how and where they would fit in on any sort of wrong but I mean we barely talked about the MAC other than Ohio. But Western Michigan still decent. Eastern Michigan had a hell of a defense last year and pulled off a couple of pretty impressive wins. And I you wins the damn Conference, and we haven't really talked about them. Buffalo is good but loses a lot, but I really think they're really well coached. Mountain West wise, I think we hit a bunch. I mean we hit Hawaii at the top. Think they're gonna throw on everybody and get intercepted potentially by everybody. But Cedric Byrd was crazy fun to watch against Arizona, and I suspect he will be against everybody else on Hawaii's schedule. Colorado State interesting moves in the transfer game. I think they'll have an okay year, even though they lose a good amount on offense air force. I think bounces back. I mentioned that I'm intrigued by Wyoming. Nevada was a bold team a year ago. I think they're not as good this year. And UNLV is dangerous. They are weekend week out, dangerous to either themselves or to whoever they're playing. So I can't wait, honestly for Mountain West football this year because I think at and you know, the top is sort of loosely defined in my brain. But the competitive teams in the Mountain West I think run pretty deep, so it should be a fun year out West.
Speaker 1: All right, well, please do right in. Let us know your thoughts on the Group of five. Yep, we are going to do a preview show on I guess Wednesday, which will go up and hit the airwaves on Thursday morning. We haven't said it yet on the show, we did say it at our live shows. This year's Solid Rebel is going to feature a little bit of a different schedule. So typically what we've done in the past is a review show every Sunday morning, goes up around noon lunchtime Eastern time here to recap all the action, and then we do our previews show on Wednesday, which goes up late on Wednesday night. This year, because on that Sunday show we can never quite cover the full scope of college football the way we would like, we've decided to add another show just for the season. We're going to be doing shows on Sunday, which would go up still around lunchtime Eastern Time, as well as on Tuesday morning very early. We'll drop it around six am in time for your morning commute, so we talk a little bit more about what went on in the past weekend of college football, and then on on Thursday early morning again in time for your commute. That will be the new posting time for our weekly previews show. So yes, Luno, those trees three shows talking about college football every week during the college football season.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think of it like this. It's the preview, it's the recap. Nothing really changes there. And then the Monday slash Tuesday show that we're doing is trying to make sense of everything, trying to see where everything fits in. Maybe answer a couple of your questions, Maybe do some segments, try to stretch a little bit, not stretch in the way of like kill time, but stretch in the let's touch on a bunch of things that we don't have time usually to touch on. And in years past we've done the deep dives on specific teams. I think those will be sort of micro segments within that newer big picture show. But we're excited to we have fun talking about is this team better than this team? Is this conference looking real weird? You know, if there's a guest that is going to add something, we'll have him or her on And that's that's the sort of cool thing that we want to h to flex our our lean muscles doing well. There you have it, so our lean podcasting muscle Lean podcasting muscles. We will leave it at that.
Speaker 1: Please get right in soliverble at gmail dot com. We will be back on Thursday correct posting our week one preview. Oh, we will be posting on our website.
Speaker 2: Give that sentence, give it some zazz.
Speaker 1: I'm trying not to get too excited today.
Speaker 2: Okay, Oh my gosh, it's week one.
Speaker 1: We will be posting details you want to get in on the Pickam game as well, mm hmm on the website, on the twitter feed, Facebook, Instagram, all the usual hotspots. But take a deep breath, because the season is near.
Speaker 2: It is I'm excited for that. Go over there, my good.
Speaker 1: Friend Dan Rubinstein for myself, Tie Hildebrand will be back in just a few days to talk some actual college football. At the meantime, say silent yes,