Speaker 1: You're tuned into Heat Check with Trista.
Speaker 2: Click on this episode of the Heat Check. We have a special bonus episode featuring Reed Wallick, Brooklyn Nets insider.
Speaker 3: He is here to break down all of the blowback ramifications of the Kyrie Urbing trade to the Dallas Mavericks. Very insightful interview. It was recorded on a recent episode of bit MGM the night right after the trade went down. I was joined by my co hosts Ron Horbat and Nick Ashu. Kyrie basically froze the league, So let's get into this discussion quick and drop that generic ass beat. Of course, we had to start off the interview by asking Reid Hollie was feeling now that Kyrie was out of Brooklyn, and he gave a very thoughtful.
Speaker 4: Answer, Yeah, maybe it's the kopium I'm taking, But I think I'm okay.
Speaker 1: I think that, uh, you know, we're gonna be okay.
Speaker 4: And I think today showed that the Nets are still going to be aggressive at the trade deadline. I'm not at this time afraid that Kevin Durant is going to request out by the trade deadline. So I think the Nets have bought themselves some times here getting Dory and Finney Smith and Spencer Dimwiddie. You're seeing the idea of what the Nets want to do here. They want to get bigger.
Speaker 1: They want to.
Speaker 4: Put switchable wings wings sized players around Durant. That could still be a contender. And you know, I thought for a minute there when the trade wasn't a finalized talking to Toronto, maybe it's Pascal Siakam the Nets are targeting and that they're trying to bring into Brooklyn, which to me that is that's the home run, that's you know, that's a number two level that in my opinions, probably more of a championship level mover than Kyrie Irving was. So you know, the Nets are thinking big. Still, it seems like it didn't get done. You know, it's obvious hill all to playing because I got a little excited this afternoon, but still a few days before the deadline Thursday, So we'll see where this. We'll see where Dust settles by Thursday. But ultimately Kyrie great player, but he had to go. I mean, you know, this was just the end time that he sabotaged a season with the Nets, and ultimately, you know, it sucks by it didn't work out.
Speaker 1: And you know have fun on Dallas.
Speaker 3: Do you feel like read that you look at some of the other players here that requested out right, you know you or or got traded. You have Rudy Gobert and all of the picks that you know it took to get him, you know, Donovan Mitchell all the picks that it took to get him, even do Jonte Murray, who's not even close to the same caliber of player as Kyrie Irving, all the picks that it takes to get him, and some of the young players attached that make that deal get done right when you're like looking at it from this a higher level versus just we needed to unload Kyrie versus you know what maybe you could have gotten with a player of caliber of Kyrie's caliber? Like, how do you how do you feel about just the Nets front office right now and the moves that they're making.
Speaker 4: I think for the Kyrie situation, all parties deserve blame for how that was handled. How you want to, you know, slice up the pie is up to you and for your interpretation. But to me, everyone was saying that no one's gonna trade for Kyrie, no one's gonna touch Kyrie. He's radioactive, and it's gonna be the Lakers for Russen two first or one first or whatever.
Speaker 1: And that's made up pretty goodyear. They got two quality players Dorrian Phinney Smith regard as.
Speaker 4: One of the best wing defenders in the league in my eyes, Claxton Durant and Dorian Finney Smith, that's the best front court defense you have in the NBA right now.
Speaker 1: So they got that. Got Spencer Dimwoodie, who has played in Brooklyn.
Speaker 4: We're familiar with him, you know, personality off putting to some, but guys a bucket getter, shooting over forty percent from three last year and was unbelievable in the playoffs last year in Dallas. So the Nets, you know, you lose an unreal talent and Kyrie Irving, but let's think about what they can be. I still think they're a playoff team, probably second round ceiling. You know, if Kevin Durant is going to buy into this. But I think the net that's made out pretty well for a team that apparently had no options.
Speaker 1: With Kyrie, you know, it seemed like he was going to hold out. I think they did alright here. They got two quality players back end this twenty twenty twenty nine first round pick. I don't even know. It's the kid's probably like thirteen years old. That's going to be worth the pick.
Speaker 4: But Luca Doncic might not be on the Mavericks when that pick comes through. I think that's a you know, it's speculative, but if that pick is going to hit the market, the Nets in we're flush with assets and that Dallas unprotected. First, looking at where this situation go with Dallas, they made a very big gamble on Kyrie Irving. If they're not going to commit a full max contract to him, you know, maybe he leaves for a discount with the Lakers.
Speaker 1: Then what does Dallas do?
Speaker 4: They just blew through all their assets again and you're left with Luca alone. So maybe Luca's out on that trade chip again, very impactful for the Nets. So there's a vision here where I could see the Nets still being a contender this year. But we gott to see where the dust settles come Thursday. But right now I could see why, like there's pause, but I think there's still some dominoes.
Speaker 3: To fall with Kyrie no on the MAVs. I was interested to hear Read's opinion on what Dallas's ceiling is now with Luca and Kyrie. Hint uh, he's not too excited about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the reaction to Dallas in the futures market is ridiculous.
Speaker 1: I think it's out of control. Just you know, you see where this is going to go.
Speaker 4: Listen, They're all they're gonna be a really fun watch because there's not gonna be any stops whatsoever.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know, Lucas amazing.
Speaker 4: Kyrie is an unbelievable talent, but you know he's still undersized. The Mavericks just gave up their best defensive player. They gave up another. You know, you upgrade Dimwitty to Kyrie. That's a great upgrade. But again, your defense is gonna fall off a cliff here. So when it comes to the playoffs, I'm not going to get any stops, and I don't really see them as a contender in the West. I mean, it is wide open, so maybe a few injuries break their way and stuff, But I'm skeptical that this is going to work out. I think that this is a real gamble by Dallas, and I don't think it's gonna pay off for them. I could you could feel the desperation, you know, I know the Nets are the desperate ones that get rid of Kyrie. But Dallas, I think I won't say Fleet or anything like that because I could see what they were trying to do. But if you like Kyrie Walk, you don't have max cats.
Speaker 1: Basically, they only have like.
Speaker 4: In the twenties that it's a big, big gamble by the Mavericks to make this move, and I really don't think they raise their sealing all that much anyway. Kyrie Irv, I mean I watched it in Brooklyn. He he's not His talent doesn't equal what he is as a foundational player when you're building a roster, like we were just talking about Pascal Siakam, when you're building a championship roster, Pascal Siakam is more of a foundational piece than Kyrie Irving. Kyrie Irving is a luxury add on who's a devastating scorer that could take you over the top, but he's not someone you want to build your roster out.
Speaker 3: Had to ask Greed as well with his final thoughts on the Big Three era in Brooklyn. Now is given that two thirds of him are actually on.
Speaker 4: Other teams, traumatizing is probably the word I would use. It's been very stressful, and you know, obviously, listen, they were so close. James Harden doesn't pull a handy in Game one of the Bucks series, Kevin Durant's shoe size as half as I mean, I could go through all the what ifs with this team, and it's obviously crushing as like such a big Nets fan, one of the few out there that really wanted to see this team thrive, and I really thought we were gonna get there to watch just like Murphy's Law, like what could go wrong did go wrong? Like literally at every turn there was another thing and another thing, and you know, who knows what's going to happen.
Speaker 1: And Durant, I think they had at least this year to make something happen and maybe make.
Speaker 4: The moves that would make him happy, because I don't think in this case Durant was as tied to Kyrie as it was over the summer, or it appeared over the summer. So I think they have a chance to give to give Durant the team he wants to see. But it's just it's really sad that you know they get these all world talents and they'll never get someone better than Kevin Durant. I'm pretty certain of that. So it's crushing to see that. You know, they fumbled this whole thing and it's been just a hilarious string of errors here.
Speaker 1: But you know, keep the faith.
Speaker 4: We got a the Clippers game coming up in you know, ten to fifteen minutes, and you know, we stay on the horse.
Speaker 1: That's why we're fans of these basketball teams.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this read in terms of a hypothetical, because this trade has been thrown out there and you're seeing the woes of the world talk about this potential. Would you want Jalen Brown in a trade like, would you take Jalen Brown for the Nets over Kevin Durant. No.
Speaker 4: I am team keep Kevin Durant as long as humanly possible. I want Kevin Durant to retire as a Net if it were up to me. So that's where my head's at.
Speaker 1: I also just I would be shocked if that happened. I really find that hard to believe that the.
Speaker 4: Best team in the league, the clear best team in the league, would trade their number two guy to get Kevin Durant mid season In pursuit of a title.
Speaker 1: I just I find that hard to believe.
Speaker 4: I really think given the time frame here, I just don't think that Kevin Durant trade is going to materialize that fast, especially considering they.
Speaker 1: Made a move to get win now players and it.
Speaker 4: Seems like they're in the mix of Toronto where they're gonna try and get more win now players and try and you know, woo Kevin Durant one more time. So I think, you know, maybe the offseason, if the Celtic explain out early or something, maybe that comes back up. But for now, I just I don't see a Kevin Durant trade materializing, And honestly, I would that would be the final blow for me if they give up on Durant too.
Speaker 1: So let's hope that they could keep this together for a little bit longer.
Speaker 3: And this clip was really interesting to see who redhead coming out of the East. His answer did not disappoint.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I still think Boston is the best team, clear best team. You know.
Speaker 4: I want to see where these deadline moves go because to me, the East is the far and away best conference or the better conference, I should say, than the Western Conference. So those are going to be the teams maybe a little bit more aggressive, trying to you know, get into an arms race here and again the nets are you know, I'll keep being in the nets. Horn three first rounders tradeable a very very.
Speaker 1: Valuable one in my eyes.
Speaker 4: You know this Finny Smith, Dimwitdy Windows probably close. But you know, the nets are going to be big game hunting too. They're not out of the they don't think they're out of the hunt just yet. So maybe they stay aggressive and they again, like if they get Pascal Siakam, that is, they're right there and they could defend the ball and Celtics.
Speaker 1: So I wouldn't roll out the nets just yet.
Speaker 4: Obviously right now it's tough to talk about that pick and talk up the nets. But let's see where the dust settles. But to me, it's Boston pretty clear in front of everyone. I still think Philly and Milwaukee have some serious concerns. Philly kind of their style of play I'm very concerned about, and also Milwaukee just a ball handler short.
Speaker 3: Finally, we asked what team is he actually having confidence in the West. His answer not surprising.
Speaker 1: It's tough to see. It's tough to see what I mean.
Speaker 4: I was talking long shots last week, and I thought Dallas actually with Luca and you know Phinney Smith and the defensive prowess that they could put together, you know, the style they play so slow and stuff, maybe they could be a nice long shot. I don't really see it now. I'm all from because they got Kyrie and gave up Phinney Smith in the process.
Speaker 1: New Orleans.
Speaker 4: Are they gonna be aggressive at the deadline because if they are adding and Zion comes back healthy, that seem to figure it out. And the real concerning thing is Golden State and now without Curry for a month, that's gonna be like another I think I counted to twelve fifteen games around a month.
Speaker 1: Timeline like that is.
Speaker 4: They are starting to play with some serious fire there, not to mention the Mileageer're gonna put on everybody else around Staph, you know, off the finals run.
Speaker 1: Can they keep it up? I don't trust Memphis half court offense.
Speaker 4: Maybe it's just Denver, you know, their defensively concerned, but they have in my eyes the MVP once again. Jamal Murray looks much better of late. His last few weeks have been fantastic. Maybe it's just Denver I don't think it's that exciting.
Speaker 1: But I as you hear my dog barking, maybe hopefully in agreement about Denver, but early agrees. Yeah, yeah, I think that's.
Speaker 4: Denver so or maybe he's pissed that I was talking poorly about Memphis, But I think Denver they just have the least amount of holes in my opinion.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's keep up, keep over in the West. Is there any sleeper team that you like, because I feel like, you know, the New Orleans Pelicans has been have been everybody's darling all year, and obviously Brandon Ingram goes down with the injuries, Zion goes down with an injury. B I is back now playing better basketball. Like, how do you feel about their upside?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: To me, it's the Pelicans are probably still my like dark horse team, just because we saw the ceiling of what they could be earlier this season with Zion and Brandon Ingram healthy, they were competing for a one seed, and you know, Memphis now in a downswing. I'm really concerned about, you know, Dallas, I just kind of talked about with their defensive issues, the Pelicans could get healthy, they could go on another run where they go fifteen and five, and in the Western Conference, that's all you need to get back into the top three. I mean everyone struggles on the road, everyone's a mess. It feels like there's issues every which way. So why not the Pelicans still? I mean their price is falling way off, probably a little too far off for what we've seen with this upside zions do back.
Speaker 1: I think I saw he's running now.
Speaker 4: He's practicing maybe like a week, you know, maybe after the All Star break, but you know, we're right there where I think New Orleans this is the bottom point for them, and why can't they make a run in this wide open Western Conference.
Speaker 3: That's all the time that we have the heat Check. Thanks to read Wallet for catching up. Catch us on BETMG in the night seven to eleven Eastern, on Twitch, YouTube and the Odyssey app and radio stations across the country. Come on back tomorrow for an all new episode as we prepp you for the trade deadline, and then of course we'll dissect the entire thing on Friday's episode. Don't forget to follow us on Twitter at at this heat Check, Trista Creek and on TikTok. Tell your friends, every single one of them because the heat check doesn't sleep.