Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Merton Talks Money Market rap, where we talk about the biggest moves and markets this week and what's driving them. I'm Join Stewick, senior reporter and author of the Money Still newsletter, and joining me in the studio will Merton's away and holiday is Simon White, Simon's a macro strategies at Bloomberg and author of the Microscope Call Them Simon, thanks very much for joining us today.
Speaker 1: Thanks for having me on, John.
Speaker 2: I shall have noticed Simon is also from my neck of the woods. If you require subtitles for this podcast, then I agree gret to inform you that you are fired as a listener. Don't be so cheeky. Races after that. After that warning, Simon. British politics. It's been interesting this week, hasn't it.
Speaker 1: It's kicking off again, by the way, I will say the Glaswegian accent is a lot stronger than my Edinburgh softer tones, so the subtitles might be needed for you. Yes, it's been interesting.
Speaker 2: Shots filed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's been interesting. I mean when hasn't it been in pretty politics for some time? Probably, like a lot of people like in the same way it was with Keir Starmer, like hopeful that it was all going to work out, but it didn't, and we're kind of here again Burnham. Is he going to fail in a more you know, charismatic fashion, or maybe he's gonna, you know, get through what he wants to get through. But it's hard to sort of reason, you know, with these all these promises now about what he's going to spend and nothing to do with what he's going to cut, and he's sticking to the fiscal rules. So what's your only lever left.
Speaker 2: Well, the only lever left is tax and winderling with your take is on this. I mean we're all ready he got the highest tax rates in the generation or maybe two generations.
Speaker 1: In terms of GDP. I just looked at this. It's basically outside of war or the aftermath of war, it's never been higher.
Speaker 2: Yes, So we are really kind of maxed out as far as the tax take goes as well. Nine. That's one thing it's easy to see with the borrowing that you know, we're very high borrowing. It's easy to see with the spending because obviously the borrowing is so tight that the self evident was spending too much, but we're also taxing too much. So I do wonder how much more can he squeeze the pips as it well, I mean, even if he wants to pluck the goose.
Speaker 1: I mean he's got, as I say, a limited room for maneuver. I mean, I don't know. I mean, look, there's been a couple of articles in the papers recently, like the GIN and Ganesh and FT, and it was Matthew's side and Sunday Times making the same point that they kind of want him to fail. Yeah, we need another nineteen seventies winter of discontent to kind of reset the system.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this was very much because I read the Ganesh one. He was basically saying, I this has to go pair shaped and definitely go Pia shaped in quite a catastrophic way, so that everyone accepts, or the voters accept that actually we need to do something different. I mean, I didn't expect the FT come out with the acceleration this that argument, I have to say, So that was quite interesting to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah it is. I mean it's it's interesting and as I said, the same thought process elsewhere. I mean, he's saying all the right things right now and I think the sort of cosmetic, if you like, announcement's made so far. I mean, you know, the bus cap yeah, and they got the VAT and fuel and the business rates thing. I mean in the grand scheme of thing don't cost a lot, but they sound good.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So my sort of sliver of hope is that he sort of like says the right things to keep the left of his party, you know, tickle their belly a little bit, keep them happy, and he's able some point down the line to persuade them for the need to say, cut the welfare bill right by the way, that that alone would solve everything. I mean, it's a roughly fifty billion increase since the pandemic, and a lot of that happened in a lot of countries because of the pandemic, of course, but a lot of other countries their welfare bills went back down. I was stuck. So I can't imagine we were uniquely sick in some way.
Speaker 2: YEA.
Speaker 1: So it feels like in that fifty billion or roughly what it is, would solve all your problems, right, your defense problem solved, NHS. I'm sure you could throw money at that. Again, you've got a lot of things you could fix on the back of that, So that seems to me you need to get that one right. And if he's able to do a kind of Tony Blair persuade them, it's in their interests. It's like part of the labor movement, you know, And that Alan Milburn review about that really framed it in the right way that, like, you know, this is actually a negative for people. So if he's has that charisma and that ability to persuade in the way that blaured it, maybe it's possible that, you know, he's able to keep them happy in some ways and then persuade them to do the big decisions that they need to do. But I don't know what you think about that, whether you think that's likely or.
Speaker 2: I do think that one thing that people possibly under rate, and especially people in our position or not. I mean people who sort of see the numbers and think, well, the numbers are the same. Just swapping out the guys isn't going to do something. But I do think that slightly let's kill Stamer off the hook for how bad he actually was. And I do feel that Starmer specifically, and without being cruel or biased, I just think he was clearly not a great leader, and at every step of the way you could see there were actually mistakes made and the welfare reform. On the one hand, I agree that the left of the Labor Party is knee jack against anything that touches benefits. At the same time, you had people in that rebellion that weren't really in that wing of the party and they were actually just rebelling against other elements of the leadership. But also the fact that it was not particularly well thought through. And I do get the impression, as you say, if you've framed it is a kind of working class waste of people's ability issue as it is, and if you actually kind of put it through a proper kind of review, for example, that comes back with what are you know, considered recommendations for ditching this stuff, then actually somebody could make the case for it. I guess I do wonder low if the idea of you know, kind of cutting benefits is just going to go back to oh, this is austerity three point zero or whatever that it often seems to run it. But I know, I do think there's there's a sliver of a chance.
Speaker 1: That that's that's come out. My optimistic thing and obviously, well we'll see the near future. Mean, he's picks so far I think have been pretty good for his cabinet, certainly surprising and very surprising. But I think, you know, it's kind of ticked a lot of boxes. I would say, like, it's definitely you know, it's not scared the horses. I would say, any of these picks really, you know, I obviously Healy is the Chancellor, keeping the mood in the Home Office, streating in defense. You know, they all seem to me like pretty reasonable picks. He's kind of like, it feels like he's off to a good start. But the mathematics you can't get away from the fact that he's going to need to cut spending one way or the other. And we don't think he can probably tax that much more. I mean, he might try, but this is where obviously it could all start to tell ravel and.
Speaker 2: Just kind of fall apart. I mean, but I think this is and this is moving on in the kind of wider markets. This is the other big issue about the spending is that he doesn't have control over the biggest variable effect in guilt rates, which is the Iran war and oil prices, and we kind of thought. This was I'm sorry, we market's king to seem to think that this was a pretty much a done deal up until obviously the ceasefire started to fall apart. And now this morning we've got the hooties attacking Saudi tankers in the Red Sea, which means it's the actual was actually getting moss rather than getting closer to some kind of truth. So I mean, what do you who do you? What does that mean for asset prices? Because you tackle the macro stuff, and you know, it's some kind of interesting about inflation, but not just about inflation being high, about it also being kind of volatile and how that makes it all even worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly that. I mean oil prices, you say, back in the rise, we're almost that one hundred again on you know, Brent oil prices, and you've got all the ingredients. I mean, really, inflation never went away in the first place, that's one thing. And this getting regn you know, this reignition, if you like, from this renewed rise in oil prices is a problem. And what happens with inflation is it? That's bad enough? Of course prices go up, everything gets more costly, of course, But when inflation rises, it tends to to use a polysyllabic term that's hetero schatastistic. Yeah, now we do need subtitles. But you basically is that the higher it gets, the more volatile it gets. And you see that with inflation. It's already beginning to happen, certainly in US inflation, so you're seeing that kind of So you've got this added uncertainty with prices given that, like you know, it's essentially the pursing power of your money is pretty much the most important signal out there, and if that becomes more uncertain it feeds into all sorts of goods. Prices, uncertainty, fed policy uncertainty, boring rates, uncertainty, cash flows, all that sort of stuff becomes much more uncertain So it's really bad for consumption, it's bad for investment, it's pretty much bad for everything. And therefore it feeds into credit markets, bond markets, market stock markets. Basically they all have to have a higher risk premium to take account of this extra uncertainty because of the extra volatility. So it's not a good environment at all for asset prices. And you know, as I say, I don't really think inflation looked like it was coming off. It was still elevated, remember, and I think it was going to come back in a way. But this of course has just accelerated it. Right, what's happening again in the middle least, which never really went away. And I was looking at this earlier as well when it comes to food prices, So we kind of dodged a bullet. Yeah, it came to food prices because because people thought, you know, there's a lot of fertilizer ingredients if you like, come through the Gulf, have come from the Gulf where they travel through the straight from mouse and you did see a sharp rally in some of the stuff, is like uria and ammonia. But it came back down really sharply, and that was partly good fortune. Really you had like high inventories already. China I think released a lot of uria supply into the market, so kind of everything went in the right direction. But we might not be so lucky this time around, right because you know, inventories aren't as high anymore. I don't know if China has as much uria can offer back into the market. So this nitrogen and phosphate fertilized actually fosstate fertilized. It is already elevated. It remained elevated because self uric acid, it's big. Fifty percent of sulfur comes through the strait, so you've already got a bit of a bottleneck there, and that could spread to this nitrogen fertilizer and then yeah, then you've got food, a food problem on your hands as well.
Speaker 2: And basically all of these things are a stagflationary they fundamentally because you've got oil and food costs, so the cost of your needs that's going up. That means you'll have less money to spend on points, and that just makes life harder for everyone, including I guess central bankers. I mean, we're not talking. We don't talk. We kind of share tips directly on here, but in terms of the kinds of things that investors can do, because obviously points inflation is just bad for a fixed income. It's not ideal for cash. A lot of interest rate it's keep up. Cash can sort of keep its head above water a lot of time. Gold what's been going with gold? Because I noticed that's the kind of was doing this thing where it was going down when oil was going up for a while, and vice versa. But now this seems to have been ticking back higher even low oil is up pretty much since basically just the last few days. What are your thoughts on that.
Speaker 1: Gold is an interesting one. I mean, obviously it ran up unsustainably, Yeah, which was really unfortunate. If you if you're kind of like like gold, to have it as like a portfolio hedge, that's kind of the worst thing you want to see because you know, the inevitable was going to happen. It was going to have to unravel to some extent, and which it did, and it's always it been gold as well, it's probably going to do so more than anyone kind of expected, so you kind of had to sit through all the kind of expected. In my mind anyway, noise of all, that's it. It's the end of the gold trade. You know, real rates are going up, so that's that's over. You're like, no, this is just unwinding the speculative fraud that we saw on the run up. And this is a good thing because I think a lot of kind of Johnny Come lately, if you like people that were you know, you know, maybe they were in bitcoin, you know, the sort of investors that are just looking for like a quick kind of what's going up, let's you know, momenting followers, and I think a lot of that people went into the into the gold trade, and that obviously really threw it higher. And then as you say, what happened subsequently, is it then it started going opposite to oil prices basically because of tension in the Middle East, Right, So anytime that you know, central banks like Turkey were having to basically sell reserves, yeah, because they couldn't afford oil prices, right, Oils going up and they you know, they don't really have much of their own oil supply, so that and imagine Middle Eastern central banks were doing that. They don't have the same revenue income because they weren't able to export their product. So that that really exacerbated that. So maybe that's sort of coming to an end right now, and you'll get central banks or maybe starting to peter back in start buying again. But the fundamental rules like a reason sorry we're running gold never actually changed. All that change is the price price went up a lot and kind of back down to where it was where October, you know, not that long ago, and so kind of really it's one of these classic things, especially you know, when it comes to things like you own for the long term, you pay attention to the If you pay attention to the price every day, you're going to get thrown around, Like you know, typical value investor doesn't really tries not to pay too much attention to what the voting machine is saying, you know. And I think we're at that point now where it's kind of the decks have been cleared with gold. So I really I think it's got a much more fun like a solid base, if you like. For it's going to high and we're not going to see what we saw before, right because of that that that was kind of an unusual stet circumstances. But I do think it's setting up for like a longer term, more durable kind of kind of rally. I will say that it's not really just about inflation. I would say it's both edges of the distribution you're hedging with gold, So inflation and deflation. Okay, So in serious deflation, which we could get like if you have a credit bust like private credit maybe or something like that, you get a deflationary bust, and that's that's the tail risk. For sure. Gold actually should benefit in that situation because it's the very integrity the financial system itself. Yeah, it comes under question, and once again gold starts to look because it's orthogonal if you like, to the whole thing. Yeah, it starts to look attractive again. So I think I think there's an again all the fundamental reasons. I think that if you were onwing gold for the right reasons before, it's not just like a quick trade, you should still be in it today. Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, it makes a lot of sense. I say, yeah, gold is the is the monetary system kind of insurance trade than anything else. And it's interesting you brought up the insurance trade because just very quickly I thought one thing we should talk about is the hyper scaleers, because yes, they're the alphabet which is obviously Google's pair. They've been spending loads of money on AI infrastructure, and yes, the day they came out and said we might spend even more than we said we were going, they spend. And they also reported their very first I mean this really struck me as the very first negative free cash flow quarter since they've been listed in two thousand and four. And why of they are? I mean everybody kind of knew this was coming. But one of the arguments for why, at least I constantly are like, why this isn't like the dot com bubble, for example, is because these are really resilient companies with like tons of money and they're going to be able to spend forever and you know, it doesn't really matter. Yes, the valuations might be high or something, but this is not like dot Com two point zero. So we are this debt spreading out gradually through the system and various you know, share issuances and things like that coming out. Would would do you see happening next? Because this surely does look like the epicenter of what whatever bad thing happens next.
Speaker 1: It's a very good question, is it a bubble all that sort of stuff, Without getting into definitions of bubbles or not. It's one big bet, right, They're all betting on the fact that is an epoch changing time for computing, and it's going from the old paradigm of CPU driven computing, which is kind of deterministic, to non deterministic eye large language models GPU driven computing. So it's a very different type of computing, and it requires different chips obviously GPUs that are much more expensive and depreciate much faster and requires these vast data centers because these models are extremely hungry for computing bars. It really all comes down to that that's their bet. Whether they're right or not, nobody knows. You've got in the one extreme, you've got Elon Musk thinks we need to build them in space because will run out of literally you won't have enough space suitable space on Earth. And then you've got Zuckerberg at Meta actually saying he's maybe got too much because he's going to start renting out some clouds. So even though these guys can't agree, then we're agreed that we don't know. So it's one big bet. And so I suspect that whether the bet is ultimately provene right, which was kind of was with the tech thing, but it's path dependency, right, if there was you know, the price has got built up too much in the interim, and then there's a bust, even if you know you built whatever you built was actually the right amount or wasn't too much. If to get there, there's there's there's a kind of sinking, there's a bust or whatever. Then it is what it is, right, you're fifty percent decline in your portfolio. That's a problem, right, even if over the longer term you're right, And so I obviously don't know, but I think that the way that they're going about it is is extreme. And obviously the leverage that they're building up and their balance sheets is also extreme. That's undeniable. I mean the actual debt. They've got an un balance sheet of five hyperscal So I'm not inclining Apple here. It is about eight hundred billion dollars, right, which is which is obviously a lot because they used to have pretty much impregnable balance sheets and now they have less pregnable balance sheets. But off balance sheet, there's there's all these other things that they're getting up.
Speaker 2: To special purpose vehicles, it's all a little bit two and eighty.
Speaker 1: It's all the usual. Yeah, off balance so there's SPV structures, there's data center leases. Yeah, there's there's other liabilities. Essentially, don't sit on your balance sheet. And there was a report out yesterday, I think it was a nicky and Mike Burry retweeted it like that could be in the order of one point six trillion, right, So that's obviously you know double what So I suspect that, like, you know, even if it's all right done for the right reasons, they're actually a right about this demand for compute will be there. When you get finance involved, it can always go too far and you end up with more risks than Maybe people are completely priced properly pricing in and at some point prices have to retrack back to reality. So I could easily see that. And you know, given the earnings expectations for all these companies, certainly the memory companies and the other hardware companies are so high, there's no wriggle room and all the stuff I've been talking about with inflation and all the rest of it, and this inflation volatility, earnings are unlikely to survive that unscathed. So there seems to be so many kind of potential pitfalls ahead that for to get smooth sailing in the equity market. So my view right now is roughly I could easily see a ten to fifteen percent correction in US stocks. I don't see much much bigger than that right now, because recessions risk is still low. Now, if that suddenly changed, recession just suddenly became a lot more likely, then you have to factor in a potentially much deeper draw down because you often get the deepest draw downs and ecuities when there's a recession. In fact, all of them. I think the only example was in nineteen eighty seven where you had a massive draw down twenty five percent, but there was no recession. Otherwise, all the big drawdowns happen in recessions.
Speaker 2: So that's what we need to look out for. So it's it's a nasty correction unless we get a recession as well, which might happen because if other if oil prices keep squeezing everybody. Oh yeah, that's it's good is We always like to leave it on a cherry note here in the market Wrap, Merton talks money, so I think that's the idea we want to do it on. Thanks very much for coming in and joining us the day, not at all, thanks for having me, Thanks for listening this week's Merton Talks Money Markets rap. If you like a show, rate review and subscribe wherever you listen to podcasts, and be sure to follow me on extra Twitter at Joined Underscore Stepic. This episode was produced by Summer, Sadie and Moses Andy. Questions and comments on this show and all the shows are always welcome our show email is Merton Money at bloombard dot net and special thanks to Simon White