Speaker 1: Second date, up date, you're going back home for the holidays can be really fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm so exciting.
Speaker 1: It can be great to reconnect with your siblings again, your grandparents, relatives you haven't seen in a while, and if you're really lucky, you might even see someone from your past and have a little holiday hookups.
Speaker 3: Family not your family, and.
Speaker 2: When everybody goes out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, totally exactly.
Speaker 1: Didn't your old pe coach reconnect and get the second base or something?
Speaker 2: No, he married.
Speaker 5: I think one of my other friends.
Speaker 1: Oh too bad for you, Brooke, mister Chance. But one of our listeners, Simone, reconnected with someone recently, not a next boyfriend. It was just a guy from her high school. And I'm curious about how it went down because she's on the phone right now, Simone. So what was this a fellow student or a faculty member?
Speaker 6: Oh my god, it was not a faculty member. Okay.
Speaker 5: Honestly, I hooked up with more guys from my high school way post high school than I did in high school.
Speaker 2: I was too dorky in high school. Nobody wanted to I try. It's not that I didn't try.
Speaker 3: Some are late and some skankers. What we call it bloomers, all right, as long as you get it done. So someone, who is this guy that you met up with?
Speaker 6: So his name is Jack and we reconnected over Facebook because I had posted that I was coming home and I was really excited to spend time with my family and friends, like for the holidays, and I was trying to kind of give everybody a heads up that I went to school with so we could try to plan something and all catch up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like like a mini informal reunion almost.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And did you know that you wanted to hook up with him immediately or did you want to wait and see.
Speaker 3: How it went well?
Speaker 6: So that's the thing is that, like this, this is a guy that we've never dated. We were always kind of floating around in like neighboring circles, but we were never super close.
Speaker 2: Okay, and got it.
Speaker 6: He was one of the first people to comment on this post. I was like, Oh, this would be great, would love to catch up. And I was like catch up, Like what do we have to talk about? Like we didn't you.
Speaker 5: Know, you know some people who stay in the hometown that you're from.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe need some outside influence.
Speaker 5: Everyone to watch this city is what she's saying.
Speaker 6: Let me tell you, I will not miss an opportunity to show off my glow up. So okay, that good.
Speaker 3: So what did you and Jack do when you met up?
Speaker 6: Well, this is the thing. So we were texting for a while until I got back and trying to make plans and I was staying with my family, so I was like, why don't we just make it easy. You can come pick me up from my family's place and we'll go wherever you want to go.
Speaker 5: Oh, so this feels more like a date than a hangout if it's just you.
Speaker 6: Too, Yeah, I guess so I think maybe. I don't know if that was the intention, but things kind of ended up taking life turn and it wasn't really anybody's fault. But he came to pick me up when I was fit. I just finished dinner with my family, and my family was like, oh, you know, why don't you come in for a second, which I kind of gave him the look of like you don't have to do this, But he was very cool and came in and be all we're just hanging It was really sweet, like we were all hanging out for a while and like because like It's not like.
Speaker 2: He knew your family in high school. You guys weren't even.
Speaker 4: Really pressure situation.
Speaker 1: Yes, I know if that happened to me, I would absolutely not want to go inside there. I do not want to spend my precious free time during the holidays meeting some other person's family.
Speaker 4: I love meeting families, yeah.
Speaker 2: But not people meeting mine.
Speaker 5: And parents always love me so much.
Speaker 1: Okay, we get it, Brook, You're amazing everybody person in the world, and everyone wants to go.
Speaker 5: Their kids don't like me, but they like Okay, Well, so what happened with Jack.
Speaker 6: Well, so we're all talking and we ended up like playing some games and everybody was played.
Speaker 7: A good time.
Speaker 4: So the full on like time.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, I mean I didn't mean for that to happen. It just kind of did.
Speaker 4: Playing the piano, singing carols together.
Speaker 2: He was into it though, Yeah.
Speaker 5: He was.
Speaker 6: And I will say this, my dad was a little tipsy, which around the holidays is not a surprise. Yeah, And he was kind of ribbing them a little bit, like what are your intentions with my daughter? I know, I know.
Speaker 1: Let me go to the laundry room and then I'll show you.
Speaker 3: Is that not how your guys' family holidays.
Speaker 5: I never had to take take my dad into the laundry room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a pe teacher, I know. How did Jack handle the ribbing?
Speaker 6: He just kind of laughed it off, and finally I kind of pulled him aside and I was like, hey, listen, we can get out of here whenever you need to, like we already were here a lot longer than I thought. And he was like, I just got a text from where my friends and they really need me, so I actually I have to get going. And he's like, well, well, we'll catch up in a few days. And of course, in my head, I'm like, did he really get a text from his friend or I think that maybe he didn't.
Speaker 5: I don't know, like maybe he thought you guys were just going out as friends, and then your dad is assuming that you're a couple. Like it just it feels like a lot of weirdness.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I agree. And the way we left it was we'll make more plans, we'll text and we'll figure it out. And then just never heard back from him.
Speaker 4: Man, all complete ghost.
Speaker 6: It's not like he's stalling, no, no, Like I just he just went radio silent and so I don't know what happened.
Speaker 2: Are you crushing on him? Still?
Speaker 7: Like?
Speaker 2: You still like him?
Speaker 6: Yeah? I mean especially too, like seeing how cool he was with paying out with my family for a little bit, that's impressing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I did have a weird thought though, like, while he was bonding with your family, do you have any single siblings or or single hot aunts don that maybe like could have swooped in.
Speaker 6: No, I'm the only girl. I have two brothers.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's an option for him though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean there's a chance that someone could have taken him from you, right from under your nose.
Speaker 5: Probably messed up family dynamics. If that's the case, it's.
Speaker 3: Called the holidays broke. Things happen.
Speaker 1: But let's find out what really happened when we play a song. Come back, call him and try and get your second date update.
Speaker 6: All right, thank you?
Speaker 3: All right, hold on second date update.
Speaker 1: One of the main rules of dating, and I think everybody knows this is if you really like someone, you do not introduce them to your family for at least three to four years until you're one hundred percent sure they won't be scared off. Wow, I would say probably even pop out a few kids with them before they meet the family, just to be safe. Or you could end up like Simone who was supposed to go out with an old high school friend named Jack till her family invited him inside during the holidays, and look what happened.
Speaker 3: He ran away. Hasn't been heard from since that night.
Speaker 4: I should have heard your advice first show.
Speaker 5: Are we blaming the drunk dad? Is that where we're blaming?
Speaker 3: Or no, we don't know who to blame.
Speaker 4: That's where I'm leaning. I think that even though it's a joke, it's still very intimidating to know your dad is even thinking that.
Speaker 5: It's such an old cliche joke, like realish my gun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Simon, do you wish that you hadn't let him come inside that house that night?
Speaker 6: I mean, yeah, we know where to send it up.
Speaker 2: It's absolutely true the answer, Oh my god. I mean, or do you wish that your dad was funnier?
Speaker 6: I mean he thinks he's funny, which is way worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well we're gonna try and get you a second chance here. We're gonna call Jack and find out which member of your family is the one to blame.
Speaker 3: Or maybe it was something that was totally unrelated.
Speaker 7: Love.
Speaker 4: We think it has to be the fame.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's like the holiday edition of Clue.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, is it the mom in the kitchen with the butcher knife or Colonel Father.
Speaker 3: Let's get to the bottom of this. I'm gonna Dilla's number right now. Here we go.
Speaker 1: Hello, my nose brush the microphone.
Speaker 3: Hey is this Jack?
Speaker 7: Uh? Yes, this is he?
Speaker 2: You are aking ready? I like Jack?
Speaker 3: I know you see Jack. You're You're on the radio right now with Brooke and Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I seem alert because I enter business call.
Speaker 5: Uh this is kind of a business call.
Speaker 2: It's about your business.
Speaker 1: Ye, your personal business with an old friend of yours name Simone.
Speaker 7: Wait, what is this about? What's going on?
Speaker 1: This is about a segment we do on our show called a second Date Update, and our listeners will reach out to us sometimes and ask us to help them reconnect with an old fling or an old date that they went out with that they haven't heard from in a while.
Speaker 7: Okay, but I'm not old. I'm not an old person.
Speaker 1: Old people, you answered a phone number that you didn't recognize that is old, So.
Speaker 2: That Jack, I bet you're regretting it right now.
Speaker 7: I was just you know, I thought maybe something was wrong with my car's extended warranty.
Speaker 1: It's okay, Yeah, Look, we all make mistakes, and your mistake was answering this call. But we do want to get some answers because Simone told us that you guys hung out the other night, and you.
Speaker 7: Know, I'm sorry, I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I just now I don't think I want to do.
Speaker 2: This, okay?
Speaker 5: Is it because it wasn't supposed to be a date with Simone? Is I supposed to just be more like of a friend hang out.
Speaker 7: Like No, no, no, no, no, no no. I'm definitely interested in Simone.
Speaker 1: Well I was interested was I mean, look, I know you're hesitant on talking about it, and I understand that, but can you put yourself in Simone's shoes here, because she was really looking forward to spending time with you and reconnecting.
Speaker 3: And I mean she had.
Speaker 1: No intention of the night going the way that it did where you were invited into her family's house.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean she thought you. I mean maybe she read it wrong.
Speaker 5: The only reason you guys stayed there was because she thought you were having a good time hanging out with her family and playing board games.
Speaker 7: Whoa, you guys know a lot about what happened.
Speaker 2: Like date detectives.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's kind of weird.
Speaker 1: We talked to some run She told us about what happened that night, and we were wondering if something happened while you were in the house with her family that made you No.
Speaker 7: No, it was just well it wasn't. It was just an uncomfortable situation.
Speaker 2: Okay, she feels bad for that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, well no, but just no, not not going in and talking to her family. Her family was great, nice.
Speaker 3: And so great that maybe you hooked up with one of them.
Speaker 6: What.
Speaker 3: Okay, that was a theory that I had. I'm glad that we can squash it right now, but yeah, so he can.
Speaker 1: Definitely, was the text that you got the emergency text?
Speaker 3: Was that real or was that fake?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 7: No, it was not real. I did not I did not see the emergency.
Speaker 2: But she knew that.
Speaker 5: So don't feel bad admitting that. Like, I mean, it was pretty obvious what made you run from the house.
Speaker 7: So what made what made me need to leave is I was having a nice chat with her mom and as as we're talking I look over and I see some Christmas cards and I see one from Simone with another guy and they're both like nuggle up together, and it was like a it looked like a you know, a couple had sent a card and it was Simone and this dude.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, she didn't mention anything about an ex boyfriend, but obviously the card could have been sent out long before.
Speaker 2: And then they broke up, Like, really do you send Christmas card? I know, who brings a.
Speaker 5: Guy over to your house with your family? If you're dating someone else to a point where you're sending Christmas cards together? Like, why wouldn't you just ask Simone?
Speaker 2: Then? Why wouldn't you ask her?
Speaker 7: Because I just felt like, in order to not just escalate things, I wanted to I just you.
Speaker 2: Know, I well, you just wanted to jump to conclusions.
Speaker 4: I know you just took pictures recently.
Speaker 1: I know you don't want to have that awkward conversation with her, but I kind of do right now because she's on the other line listening and wants to be asked an awkward, escalating question.
Speaker 7: What I'm HI.
Speaker 6: In this whole time?
Speaker 7: This is like, this is so awkward.
Speaker 6: I know, I'm sorry.
Speaker 7: I mean, it's kind of cool that you went to these lengths to try to get a hold of me, but I just, you know, I just this is just really bizarre. So who is the guy? Come on, tell me? Are you seeing nobody? Are you in a relationship?
Speaker 1: Because like, okay, hold on, Jack, you're asking like five different questions.
Speaker 3: Let's just let's do one question at a time.
Speaker 2: Who's the guy?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 3: I was gonna start what kind of sweater are you wearing right now? Because that I might ease his tension a little bit.
Speaker 2: The guy.
Speaker 6: First of all, I can't believe you even saw that card. I I'm so mad at my mom right now.
Speaker 3: Why are you dating that guy?
Speaker 6: Not technically.
Speaker 2: What your parents are wing? Wing Manny your side piece.
Speaker 6: No, so listen, Okay, I'll be honest. That guy's is a guy that I dated for a while. We always did these stupid Christmas cards, and we're not exclusive. We are not together. We hook up every once in a while, but we're.
Speaker 2: Not there's a ginnasy.
Speaker 5: Okay, but you promise you're not exclusive with him?
Speaker 2: Oh, you're not exclusive? And you send Christmas cards out together?
Speaker 6: That seems Yeah, yeah, it was more of a joke because we would do it every year, so we kind of just kept up with the tradition because we both didn't want our families hassling us at the holidays for being single. So we were like, we should just do a Christmas card anyway, and that backfired so funny.
Speaker 7: So I just I'm actually, I mean, Simon, I really want to be with somebody that's emotionally available and not you know, still, even if it's not like you know, you're not exclusive, you're still seeing him. I just I'm just not comfortable being with somebody who's seeing other people.
Speaker 6: So I just, uh, well, that's the thing, is like I had a great time hanging out with you, and I really want to get to know you better. And I am not invested in this guy. Like I said, it's somebody that I dated, and it was just I didn't have anybody else I was interested in, and it was just you know, I'll call him later today and tell him that we can't see each other anymore.
Speaker 1: Really, Jack, is that something that you'd be into, because if you're willing to see her again, then we'll pay for that date.
Speaker 7: I have one question, did you hook up with him over the holidays.
Speaker 3: Would be honest. Here, Simon, did it happen and what sweater were you wearing at the time.
Speaker 6: It didn't happen over the holidays, but it has happened recently, all.
Speaker 1: Jack, I need an answer from you. What do you think one more date with Simone?
Speaker 3: We'll pay for it?
Speaker 7: I don't think so. And here's why.
Speaker 2: It's a healthier why.
Speaker 7: I feel like you could have told me that you were getting out of a relationship, and I just I can't.
Speaker 2: We get here.
Speaker 3: It's the holidays. Everybody's sad. We understand.
Speaker 1: You.
Speaker 5: Freaking Jeffrey in the morning.
Speaker 3: I was thinking, does that ever work on our show?
Speaker 1: After the person says no, I'm not interested, and they throw out one last ditch plea like hey.
Speaker 3: What if I break up with the other guy? Will you go out with me?
Speaker 2: Then it's like a hail Mary?
Speaker 3: Or what if I get a butt lift?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Or hey what if I put my dog down because you're allergic? My god, it's.
Speaker 2: Always n You made the boyfriend sound like the best option.
Speaker 1: I just can't think of a time where that strategy has ever worked, and she definitely gave it a try.
Speaker 5: God, I just have this feeling that the guy on the cards sweater Boy, doesn't know that they're not exclusive, yeah, because anyone else.
Speaker 4: Is always like that. The other one is always like what, wait, I thought you were my girlfriend?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We sent out Christmas.
Speaker 1: Cards for Yeah, how does it get more intimate than that? But clearly we're not going to be doing any update with that couple anytime soon. But remember you can always listen to any one of our second dates on YouTube, because we've got hundreds of them up right now, so a lot of people are actually choosing to listen to our show that way. And remember you can always reach out to us if you have a date that you want us to get a hold of.