Speaker 1: The following is a production of Dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.
Speaker 2: Cowboys.
Speaker 1: This is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show, your war room for inseter news and draft analysis from deep within the confines of Cowboys Headquarters at the Star in Frisco.
Speaker 3: Today is Thursday, April fourth, twenty twenty three, and we are officially three weeks out twenty one days to the NFL Draft in Detroit, Michigan. As we welcome you in to the Draft Show presented by Miller Light, a taste you can depend on. We are running out of time, everybody is. The draft is quickly approaching. Thirty visits currently happening across the hallway from where we sit here at the Star in Frisco. And of course we've got plenty to talk about with some positional resets. Today we've got Aisha Morrison, Brian brought us Bobby Belt back in the fold today. I'm Kyle Yeoman's Bobby. Welcome back to the show.
Speaker 4: Thank you.
Speaker 2: You're pretty busy.
Speaker 4: Phones, I have headphones on. I don't normally get the headphones because I'm usually posting up right here. And I also feel like completely inconsistent because I got the Plano East had on today. I like it. But then I've got Marcus Schwartz, I've got competing high schools on here. And then I'm gonna go watch Keller softball tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Are you really Yeah, big big Keller softball.
Speaker 4: They invited us out. They were like, hey, we got a big game against Southake, would you guys mind coming out? I was like, sure, I'll go. So I'm going to see Keller High school softball. The man of the people, that's what I try to be. Yeah, you are, that's casting a wide net, Brian.
Speaker 2: I'd about to say that, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's funny.
Speaker 2: I've met, among other things, I've.
Speaker 3: Had phone calls with some of the admin with Tarlton State and they talked about you guys and your impact with you and Choppy and all of the trips out to Stevenville.
Speaker 4: I left a negative impact in a lot of ways as Stephenville, I think. But it was a party. It was a good time, got the people talking. Hey, I enjoyed it. I love Tarleton, Go Texans, steven.
Speaker 3: Field, greatest place on God's Green Earth. There there you go. Cowboy country real, it is real, Cowboy Country no doubt about it. I'll be out there Sunday for baseball. By the way, you want to make great line. You want to come out.
Speaker 4: Maybe what we gotta going on? It's Saturday. I got a party Friday, I got softball Sunday. Nothing's felling. Oh wait, I may have actually have Mavericks tickets right.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I already.
Speaker 4: I loved Tarleton. Yeah, big Charltonton baseball guys.
Speaker 2: Would coordinate some other things going on here.
Speaker 4: I mean you want to go with us, You're you're all about road trips.
Speaker 2: No, I do love the Feature of Strength, though, I do love it. I'd like driving to the Senior Bowl.
Speaker 4: I know you want to. You want to make those like thirteen hour drives.
Speaker 2: All Beam and I are we're all about the feat of Strength.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, of course we're all the driving.
Speaker 5: You give us an r V, we will take it anywhere you want to have to go.
Speaker 3: I've been trying to talk Brass into having the r V trips for the last four years. It's it's just it hasn't happened. You think the there.
Speaker 2: I think the RV trip would be fun if you covered a couple of really prominent pro days.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, sure.
Speaker 2: You know if you actually were able there to go in there and you hit say you hit A, you hit Alabama and then you hit Georgia or you know, you hit something in the South, you know you could do We did Texas and Texas, A and M one time, which was really cool when Johnny Manziel was involved, and you get a lot of you get a lot of really good information being out there on the road.
Speaker 4: Do you run routes for Johnny No?
Speaker 2: I stood behind the barrier and watched him throw routes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to people who were not even receivers.
Speaker 3: Necessarily he may have to run around.
Speaker 4: No, No, that was the the Johnny would remember. That's his agent, Eric Burkhart.
Speaker 3: Brian's gonna have to run routes for Josh Allen and the Buffalo Bills pretty soon too. How about that they don't have anything going on out there?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 2: Well, no, wait, that might be a good thing for you Dallas Cowboys if you think about that trade up. You know, but we're all we've talked about these wide receivers since January. You know, it might be where people are gonna and I know we're going to get into depth of positions, but that might be something you keep an eye.
Speaker 3: On, No doubt the trade yesterday Stephan Diggs going to the Texans and really now you've got Buffalo that is pigeonholed into taking a first round wide receiver, and if they want to move up a couple of spots, I think that would be a significant trade down option for the Cowboys. Speaking on the Cowboys, though reported thirty visits, we talked through a number of names on Tuesday. A couple other names that have come out since then. This is straight off of Nick Harris's Twitter of Nick Nick not here today, he's across the hall doing an interview, but we've got some names to go through. Matt Gonclaves from Pittsburgh the offensive tackle. We talked about some of these linebackers, including Nathaniel Watson, Jordan McGee, Payton Wilson, which was reported by Brian Edrian Cooper, Trevin Wallace from Kentucky. Then you've got Byron Murphy reported by Ryan Fowler. The Texas defensive tackles. Ali is it Ali Ali?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Ali Wash the Marshall running back reported by our very own Dame Brugler. Then Malachai Corley receiver out of Western Kentucky when comes from CBS. But when you're looking at these names, aisha, which ones stick out to you of the names that were reported this past week.
Speaker 6: I mean stick out.
Speaker 7: I think I don't know if he's gonna be there, but I think Byron Murphy he.
Speaker 6: Sticks out to me. And only the reason why.
Speaker 7: Is because he is a He's a local, like he's from here, and I think we've seen the Cowboys have a little bit of an infatuation with some of the guys that are local. You think about even a Tyler Smith, he's a Footworth Native and seeing him, you know, become somebody that maybe they're interested in. It's also interesting about Malachai Corley, how he's really risen his stock this off season and how he's been able to kind of climb people's bors and get people's attention, especially coming from a school like Western Kentucky. I think it just says a lot about his progress and what he's capable of as a player. Because if you don't have him pretty high on your board right now, you're probably a little wrong. So yeah, those two gentlemen stand out the most to me.
Speaker 8: What you got Bobby Corley.
Speaker 4: Is the one because Corley. I mean, obviously, we see a lot of different like running backs and offensive linemen and different people that they've brought in different positions that they brought in. Corley being the only receiver on the list in a very deep class I think is interesting to me. Whether that's because it stands out as somebody that they're really really high on, or potentially just that's somebody they feel they need answers on compared to the rest of the draft class. But I mean, I love Malachi Courtley fun and in fact, he's receiver. We talked about this Brandon, I think it's seven. He's receiver seven for me. Wow, and second round. So I really like Malachi Corley and think he's a whole lot of fun and I think within this offense he could do a lot of damage, and so he's really interesting to me. I love that one. And then obviously, I mean the fact that they're bringing in somebody like Peyton Wilson and just you know, being able to get a check on the medicals.
Speaker 2: There and everything else.
Speaker 6: That's definitely why they brought him in. They definitely like, let us get a.
Speaker 3: Peak, extra peak at Peyton Wilson. I love malakat Corey. I don't know Corley, I don't know if he's necessarily a top ten receiver in the draft. For me, I just I can't put him against like Worthy and Maconkie, Coleman, Lagette, Roman Wilson, Piersoll. These are all guys that I think are in the same conversation.
Speaker 2: Man, I have him on top of all those guests, I think on the yack Kingky.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they call him the yack King. I just I worry about the size a little bit.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what. This son of a gun though.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 2: But he has got a running backs mentality, the way he carries the ball and like you you throw him the ball, he is going to run through people, run over people. Uh, you know, he's a tough guy and so to me. And but you're you're talking about when all those names of the guys you had, they've all got that trait. They've all I mean, I'm sure they're on everybody's board. Everybody has Coraley, McConkie from Georgia, Worthy from Texas, pearsal Pearsall from Florida. Is a fun watch. Yes, you know, Roman Wilson from Michigan. They're all kinds what are the same in that regard of throwing the ball, big play.
Speaker 7: Which is I mean, which is gonna be helpful to me when you look a lot of these guys to me are chess pieces, I guess you can say. And also too, they can be an extension of your backfield in certain ways, like when you mentioned Okay, like he can do running back things.
Speaker 6: You can use these guys in the screen game.
Speaker 7: You can use these guys on the outside and do some creative things with them. A lot of these gentlemen, to include Malchy like, they're.
Speaker 8: Not just I'm a wide receiver.
Speaker 7: Oh, you can use them in certain different elements and they a lot of them have the ability to play inside and outside and so I.
Speaker 8: It's this class is it's crazy because.
Speaker 7: Last year is my first time doing a draft obviously, but to see the difference in this class in last year's class, where I felt like there weren't that many of these guys in that draft and if there was a guy like these guys, they went early and people got a hold of them really quickly.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And when you're talking about Malakai Corley specifically, it's the limited route tree, which is a knock against them. Western Kentucky didn't.
Speaker 8: Really util Yes, it was the utilization.
Speaker 3: WKU didn't use him in that way. They said, chuck it up, go make a big play, have fun, run past everybody, and be the yak king is what they called him at Western Kentucky. But you mentioned inside outside versatility, I think he's limited to the slot. Do you think he can play outside if you're going to put him up there?
Speaker 4: Look, I mean I think that a lot of what he does here, Like when we talk about the limited route tree and stuff like that, it's because a lot of his game is going to be like, you know, just quick, get the ball in his hands. And so I mean, whether that's smoke routes on the outside or whatever it is. I think he can become a better route runner than he currently is. I think he's a good route runner, but I think there's definitely room for improvement. And to me, the biggest thing with him, and something that he'll see on the outside a lot too, is is he always finishing? You know, contested catches, is the fifty to fifty stuff breaking his way and a lot of times it's not. And so if you get somebody who's particularly sticky somebody who's playing, you know, really physical with him that can slow him down at times. That's why, I mean, that's that's honestly the thing that keeps him from being like a first round receiver for me. Yeah, but I mean I really like the growth potential for him?
Speaker 8: How do you navigate that?
Speaker 6: Like, and I'm asking as far as.
Speaker 7: When you look at a program and you look at usage, how do you guys? I'm asking you guys, like, how do you navigate seeing that a guy's usage or the way that they played him and within a system, how does that tie into some of your decisions on where you rank him? Because to your point, we clearly know that Western Kentucky is not doing a whole munch exotic things offensively. How do you guys be like, Okay, well, I can see this guy doing this distance.
Speaker 8: What steps do you take to evaluate that?
Speaker 4: I mean, I think you can see just about anything you want to see in flashes. It's obviously just the sample size, Like how much of a sample size do you have? So then it's the application of Okay, what am I projecting out in terms of the flashes that I have or the limited available you know, the limited available data and then also to you know, putting it in some cases against athletic testing or whatever else, the combine it and saying well, I think you can just Schoonmaker, for instance, was a guy who's not asked to do a lot of the things that you would have wanted him to do here in Dallas in Michigan, and so you just found flashes of it, and then you tried to say, Okay, you know the the athletic testing with the three cone and the ten yard splits and other little things like how do you couple that and say, well, I think I can project out that he can do these things here. I assume that he can do this, or in flashes you see it here, in small sample size, you see it here. So I mean it's just a projection. It's the same thing we used to run into. The guy I always think of where it's like you're having to project out is Corey Coleman like that. Coleman was a guy like that coming out of Baylor, where it's like that Baylor who's not asked to do very much and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really limited. You had to project.
Speaker 4: Down a little bit. Yeah, Similarly, you had to project out on a guy, the best player in football, and now you had to project out with Mahomes, Like there were questions about like what was Mahomes going to be asked to do at the NFL level and was he capable of it? And that's some some of that stuff you're not going to know, and that's why scouts are scouts and why they're pared to paid to do what they do. We're projecting out a lot more than what they're Surgeon House shows.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I watched him play against Ohio State. He was good in that game, and I'm thinking, like, Okay, if he's playing good against Ohio State, who puts twenty five guys in the NFL every year, it seems like, you know, we we kind of got that with watching that quarterback last year Ohio State, you know, when they played Georgia and you know all the matchups and stuff like draft.
Speaker 6: So the competition is something as well.
Speaker 2: I think it's something because you know, like I say, Louisiana tach Florida Atlantic, Sure, but Ohio State, you know, you hunt those games, you hunt those games, and you know the.
Speaker 4: Fact that you remember Shawn Slater against Chase Young, that was that was a game like you measure that, you go, o, hey, what did Slater look like when he got Chase across from and he handled them?
Speaker 2: Yeah. See, I grew up in a system where it was always about the Florida State Miami game was always huge in the early nineties, and it was that was like the first tape you started with. When any either team, you're like, okay, good on, good here. And then if you get a small school guy, fortunately he goes to the Senior Bowl, then you start to look at the drills there and you're like, okay, how does he handle the drills? You know, Western Kentucky getting covered by Michigan or getting covered by Alabama or getting Yeah, and he.
Speaker 3: Was named the top receiver.
Speaker 8: That's what and a blender.
Speaker 2: You know. I think we could all say this about Doron Bland now and I've said it before, and I believe you guys would agree with me, because you guys study tape just as hard as I do. That Pac twelve missed Deron Blaine. We just call it Fresno. Nothing a gets Fresno. Sometimes these kids end up in places and you're like, how do you end up at Western Kentucky? You know, why wasn't Why wasn't Why wasn't Vanderbilt in on this? Why wasn't Kentucky in on this? Why wasn't Tennessee in on this one? You know, and sometimes you have to question that. But I you know, I look at him and call you asked the question about slot only. His measurements are five eleven two point fifteen.
Speaker 4: He's wide.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm thinking, like, just get him the damn ball. I don't care how you know, that's that's how I mean. It's coaches jobs to figure this out. And you're if you're saying inside only, and I'm like, cool, you can still get him the ball, but get him the damn ball. I mean I used to put him in the backfield. Bobby put him out wide. You know, but when you watch the tape of this guy, I can understand why the Cowboys did this because or bringing him in. This kid's got a lot of toughness, and they for the last couple of playoffs they've dealt with having that guy in San Francisco. You know that you're starting to see more of that. You're starting to see more of these receivers that have they're big, they catch and they're like running backs. In the open field, just blistering people.
Speaker 3: He mentioned Deebo Samuel and his Senior Bowl interviews.
Speaker 4: Yeah, at the same time, that's who he gets compared to most often as like the high end projection and and Debo was the same.
Speaker 2: How South Carolina that there's there's the school, there's the school. Yeah, that's the same thing. But we're starting to see college programs get these guys involved. This guy was a college He was originally a cornerback, a corner back, and they moved him to wide receiver. We've seen a couple of those guys get shifted to other positions and now they're thriving that way.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, and you mentioned the Senior Bowl. Honestly, when you talk about the route running Bobby, the Senior Bowl answer some of those questions for me about him too, because it didn't matter. And I understand that you know, one on ones that dvs are at a disadvantage in some areas, but it didn't matter who was on him in those drills.
Speaker 6: He made some of our top corners that we like look stupid.
Speaker 7: He was literally saying by to them when he was coming out of his releases. I do think guys do have the opportunity before they go to these camps and stuff to improve. And I think he showed some things in the Senior Bowl that would make me more encouraged about his route running as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's another part of it that is really helpful in the process of like what you're trying to project out is those drills and stuff, but like you point out, like the corners already disadvantaged a lot of times in those drills and like I mean the one that I was come back to of like you can gain a lot from seeing it. You always talk you guys always talk about the Zach Martin, Aaron Donald, the matchups and what you're able to get out of that. At Senior Bowl. The guy, the guy that I always go back to is like, here's a cautionary tale too of like don't buy into it too much or wait it probably remember Braxton Miller. Yeah, And Braxton Miller was considered like, oh my gosh, nobody can handle him when he you know, he had all these highlight reel like situations against corners where it's like he's making corners mad and they're like wanting to fight him in these practices just because of his footwork and what he's doing, and then it came out and it doesn't hit the same way. So I think it's definitely like it's all part of the the entire information gathering process. And that's why it's it's such a big job. That's why I mean, the guys in this building, they're they're grinding eleven months out of the year, like I mean, really putting in work that goes more than just this three months that people are really aware of it.
Speaker 9: Right.
Speaker 3: It's such an interesting process, top to bottom, And that's why it is a process. It's not we're not just grading off of games in film and then taking these guys into the NFL. You want an extra look along the way, since we're talking about Corley and he's the one wide receiver that's been reported as a thirty visit, how early would you be okay with Dallas taking a wide receiver? Would you would you be fine with a receiver? I I know first round is more of like a if a guy falls, but let's say nobody falls in the first round.
Speaker 2: Where would you be okay with the first Can I ask a question to take it a little further? Sure, would you take a running back or a receiver, if they were equal, equal on your board, equal, I would take a running back. If they're even on the board, I'm taking a tailbag. Like you got to say, you have Corley as your seventh best player, Bobby, and you're looking at Benson from Florida State maybe as that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean they're both in the second Yeah you t take Yeah?
Speaker 3: Why is that? Is that just the value positional value of running back? I just think running back is replaceable.
Speaker 7: I just changed so much, like to me, the way it's viewed. I mean, and it's particularly with this class. There are some guys you know in the later rounds, but this running back class to me, is more top heavy in itself.
Speaker 3: So which is why I would take a running back early, because you could.
Speaker 8: Maybe receiver your argument, But I'm also like, you're.
Speaker 3: Trying to run the football, you're trying to go downhill. You're building around possibly an offensive first round pick, offensive line, first round pick. You want to run the rock. I would go with Trey Benson in that center.
Speaker 4: I think I can. I think I can can scheme things up easier in the passing game for Corley with questions on the offensive line. Then I can scheme things up easy for Benson with questions on the offensive line, like Benson is going to be more reliant on how much have you built up your offensive line than I feel like what you want to do with somebody like Cory.
Speaker 3: Well, if you take a first round pick and you feel good about your left tackle, let's say they take a tackle in the draft. You got a left tackle there, sure, I mean you're okay with the interior at the moment.
Speaker 4: We assume Steele is going to bounce back off of injury, but we don't know Zach Martin. Zach Martin is a year older. We don't know who's playing center, left guard, left tackle yet, And so to me, it's that's a lot to then just think, well, Trey Benson will fit that. Like to me, I look at Malachi Corley.
Speaker 2: I can do I don't know if b Jeon Robertson would fix that.
Speaker 4: I mean you can Arthur in Atlanta, Like I mean, you look at the the in general. The way that you can scheme up and get the ball in Corley's hands and let him create in space. I think it's easier to let him create and contribute as a second round pick than it would be with Benson. But I honestly, man, it's that's hard. It's tough because you you've got a lot that you still need to address it a number of positions, and you don't have a fourth round.
Speaker 2: Pick, third round receiver, third round back.
Speaker 3: Now we're now, we're getting closer to be taking a receiver because I think the wide receiver class stretch is better than the running back class. I don't expect the Trey Benson to be there at the in the third round. I expect him to be gone.
Speaker 2: But can I can I interest? Okay, you go on that.
Speaker 6: You said third round receiver.
Speaker 2: Third round receiver, third round, third round running back, third round receiver, and you're talking potentially at my board, I'm looking at guys like Lloyd from USC. I'm looking at right from tw in a Sea they brought in they've reported on the thirty Alan, who I know Bobby likes more than me. And then Irving is another one from Oregon. Okay, okay, Lloyd Wright, Alan Irving, Say Pearce, Saw Leggett, Roman Wilson Walker from North Carolina McMillan. On my board, I.
Speaker 3: Have Bucky Irving in the second so he will get highest on my list, So I'm gonna take him off of that list completely.
Speaker 2: No, No, you could take You could say I would.
Speaker 3: Take Bucky in that scenario. He's the last second round player out of that group you just gave.
Speaker 4: Me Corley and Allen is what I would go there because I like Alan as much as I do, so Alan in the third round. But I mean, it's again, it's stuff I feel I feel like, am I using resources, precious resources the right way if I'm drafting two skilled position players with my top three picks.
Speaker 2: Okay, let me ask you this. Let me ask you this. Asa made a trade with the Ravens. She got you's got Baltimore's picked in the third round.
Speaker 3: To get drafting football teakay pa, Okay, So now you've picked up you've picked up would you consider using your extra.
Speaker 4: Do you have two two's and two threes?
Speaker 2: You still know you have two threes? That's it?
Speaker 4: How did I pick up the extra third?
Speaker 2: You moved down to thirty?
Speaker 4: Oh? Okay, so picked up three? You went from.
Speaker 2: Twenty six, You went from twenty six to thirty, and you picked up Baltimore's pick at the round.
Speaker 4: I've got first round, second round then two threes, right, two late threes. Yeah, I mean I could be more. I could be more convinced to take a receiver and a running back in that situation because I've addressed.
Speaker 2: Let me ask you this question. The extra pick that you get, what position you're going for?
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh, after what is it?
Speaker 6: Third round?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a third it's gonna be a third round pick. Say say Dallas picks up Baltimore's pick, like we were talking about, they go get a wide receiver. They give you, they give you. But now you have that extra would you consider that? What would you use your extra three? Did we take an offensive line? What do we take In the first two rounds, you've taken offensive lineman, you've taken a running back, and at fifty six.
Speaker 6: I'm going receiver.
Speaker 4: Fifty six you took a running back.
Speaker 2: No, No, at fifty six you took a round. Okay, so you got eighty you got eighty seven.
Speaker 4: Call it Guidon and Brooks or whatever. Just as an example, that's fine, just to work off of that Guiding and Brooks. Okay. Then yeah, with my I honestly think if even when we're sitting there in the fifth round, I think there's a decent chance you have like a fourth round graded receiver. Because I had said, so I'm going, I'm I might double dip at offensive line and then take a safety.
Speaker 3: I was thinking linebacker and possibly a receiver, possibly depending on how highly graded the guy is there, I.
Speaker 6: Will go receiver.
Speaker 7: So I guess my question for you guys is how many wide receivers on this?
Speaker 6: And again I got plenty of love for Jaylen Toldar.
Speaker 3: Need a defensive tackle there too.
Speaker 2: How many, That's what I was saying.
Speaker 7: How many these wide receivers are better than what Jalen Tolbart is right now that you could get in the third round and none of them.
Speaker 4: I don't know what Jaylen Tolbert is right now. I would the problem.
Speaker 2: I would take pearsall Florida. I'd take Leggett South Carolina.
Speaker 3: I'd love that fit.
Speaker 2: Man. Now I'm now, I'm tru Now I'm struggling Roman Wilson, Walker from North Carolina and McMillan from Washington. That's I I man, I'm I think I might take Roman, Wilson and McMillan, even though I have Walker higher over Like I just jump, I just jumped. I just jumped a tag, which I would never do. But I just in my mind, I'm like, I like I say I I I think I think every one of my third round guys I would surely consider as opposed to Tolbert just from what I've seen so far.
Speaker 3: Well, and you can get a guy that's a different player than Tolbert too. Zat is a deep play threat. He's your Michael guys, and they grabs Holbert in the third right.
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, that's why I asked.
Speaker 7: But you mentioned d T as an option. Yeah, actually, still about that, because.
Speaker 6: The the I'm not gonna I think it does.
Speaker 7: There is a drop third round tee after about that early fourth.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's a huge dropping.
Speaker 3: You've got You've got Murphy Newton, Sweat Jenkins or or Fisk at the top. And then after that here were my three four guys. I've got Dwayne Carter from Duke, Michael Hall Junior from Ohio State, Brandon Dorles from Oregon, Mkay Wingo from l s U, the guy that that that Brian loves more than anybody, Mason Smith out of L s U.
Speaker 2: I should maybe love him that much.
Speaker 3: McKinley Jackson from A and M's an interesting that's there, where's see I.
Speaker 7: Think I think he's gonna move him back to age. I think I can see Zim moving him back to age.
Speaker 4: I mean Zimmer wants to Zimmer wants to be big on the defensive line, and I think but and so, I mean that would make more sense to have him on the edge than say, like let's hybrid him inside. But I mean to me, it's like, I think that extra.
Speaker 2: Pick has to be a defensive tackle.
Speaker 9: I think I.
Speaker 2: Look Jackson from Texas A and m would be my guy there.
Speaker 4: There's so many things that they could they could use to build depth right now. That a part of me, and it may not be the best approach, but a part of me says, Mazzi needs to just figure it, like like you need Mazzi and Osa to figure it out, Like you've spent the resources there. I don't want to sing more resources when I got out there. Like to me, it's like, hey, that has figured it Out's biggest thing squares down. Yeah, Osa's thing is just fatigue at the end of the year, it feels like. But to me, it's like Osa and Mazzi should be enough. Mazzie needs to just it needs to click this year. So to me, I'd say, hey, we made that evaluation, we picked him over a premium position at offensive line, went ahead and did that. We need to trust the evaluation. We need to trust the coach and staff to get the guy ready, which I think they're capable of.
Speaker 3: When I think we sh classify a late third round pick of general resources, and especially with a being yeah, you don't have a four that's gotta be an important I.
Speaker 4: Kind of I count a top one hundred pick without a fourth rounder especially, that needs to be somebody who's gonna come in here and play.
Speaker 7: I think there are a few guys that you can get late, though, Like if we're gonna take your route, Bobby and be like, let's trust, then if.
Speaker 6: They do that, then I'm I think.
Speaker 7: Trust who though you said you said trust, I'm gonna trust staff and those guys to get him ready.
Speaker 6: I do think he can he can improve.
Speaker 8: I'm just like, do you have the luxury of depending on that right now?
Speaker 4: You don't have a lot of luxuries in general building this roster right now, and so that's one of them that you're gonna have to count on. Is a guy you picked in the first round a year ago.
Speaker 8: So maybe you just picked DT later.
Speaker 6: That's what you're saying, Go go.
Speaker 4: Go, go value shopping, go in the dollar ninety nine, Ben at the DVDs, like, and that's what you gotta do.
Speaker 8: What do you guys have Keith Rudolf.
Speaker 6: Illinois?
Speaker 4: Uh, and you're born deeper.
Speaker 7: I've got him as like a sixth Yeah, okay, I'm asking because if you're going to you're gonna wait then you're talking about you about what you saw him.
Speaker 6: I see a three text sometimes a five tech. They move him around and just.
Speaker 3: Like that, he's next to Newton too.
Speaker 6: Yeah, so and I mentioned that before.
Speaker 7: Do we consider who they're playing against because that especially in that interior, because it does change how people defend you or hope people play against you.
Speaker 6: But anyway, so he wins with power leverage. He has heavy hands.
Speaker 8: I think he has he gets quick penetration, penetration.
Speaker 7: He finds the ball well like you can see sometimes he can't get there, but he's locating the ball quickly.
Speaker 6: He's he's high effort.
Speaker 8: He's disruptive.
Speaker 7: I think if you are going to talk about maybe waiting later and like a McKinley Jackson's gone or some of those guys are gone, that maybe he is a gentleman that you take a look at, or like a Jaydon.
Speaker 2: Crumby Crumby Crumby. I'm digging on this one, and I was going to ask you about a haul.
Speaker 7: From Babe Michael how Gabe Haul game Haul?
Speaker 2: Where do you play? Michael is at Ohio State. Yeah, there's there's two halls in the spirit, Okay, Gabe Haul. I was going to ask you a bit that, because where do you play Gabe Haul Baylor? Is he a three or is he a one?
Speaker 3: I put him as a three.
Speaker 2: He's six ninety one something like that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's he's a Waller Texas native.
Speaker 3: I know that makes him You can stand him up on the edge.
Speaker 6: You have him as a three.
Speaker 2: Okay, That's what I was.
Speaker 10: I was.
Speaker 2: I was struggling, and I know you were busy doing work. I was like, please help me. I sent the bat signal.
Speaker 7: Up and you were like, I was like, yeah, no, but he's he's very explosive. I liked me some Gabe Haul.
Speaker 6: You guys think he's gonna fall.
Speaker 8: I think he'll fall because people.
Speaker 6: Don't know what he is.
Speaker 7: Just hit like there such a I don't know, he's he's such a wild card, but you know, the motor in the pursuit is just out of this world. Like he shows some patients in the run game as well. He has a really lean frame. He's he's not a pretty player. That's what I Oh no, that's my that might deterbe some people is that he's not pretty, but he's gonna he's gonna tussle every time he's in there. So yeah, I like him too. Later if you do decide to go by the rout and trust, do you know who?
Speaker 3: He reminds me of Brian a couple of years ago. You remember Logan Broders Logan, Yeah, log Yeah, he was a Houston edge rusher, but it was kind of a tweener. Could have been in three tech if you really wanted to. He kind of fizzled out. Wasn't really the guy that you would think.
Speaker 2: I think Krumdy is hey you say that, krim Dumbdy Crumdy. I think he's the same way from Mississippi State. Yeah, I mean, you know he's six ' forti's three oh one. I've seen him play inside. I mean I've seen him play over the center. I've seen him play as a three, So I don't know. Man, this guy's played a ton of games. I just don't I'm hunting to one and I can't find him.
Speaker 3: Jackson.
Speaker 2: For me, it is if you're talking about, if you don't go for fisk and you don't have the opportunity to get sweat, it's.
Speaker 7: Hard to find true ones because of these guys are developing as these tweeners.
Speaker 6: As these guys that can help rush the passer.
Speaker 7: Because I even think about I think about a Christian boy in northern Iowa who is stout, build lots of penetration, can take on double teams and things like that, but where he really wins is that initial step and him being speedy.
Speaker 8: Can he take on double teams?
Speaker 11: Yes?
Speaker 6: Does he have the balance in the course strength to do it.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, But you're we've started seeing this in this last couple of years. Is that Beabe out of the whole draft is about three four ones and everybody else is this tweener. And that's I think that's appealing to a lot of coaches because they want pass rush, but you're seeing that that hinder their run defense capabilities and what you're asking them to do.
Speaker 8: So it's like, I guess it's something we just got to adjust too, big dog, Like, I.
Speaker 6: Don't know what is it? What do you guys think is gonna happen?
Speaker 7: If we're if we're looking at a diminishing number of nose tackles in the league, are teams just going to keep taking advantage of it? These offensive lines, these linemen are manmates. Yeah, Like they're getting bigger, it feels like, and the defensive interior is getting smaller.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, it's all cyclical and so that's I mean, it is. It's it's one of the like not fine one, I know. And that's what I'm saying is that, like, I mean, look, linebackers have gotten lighter and lighter and faster, and like it's not the it's not it's not Levonn Kirkland running around at linebacker anymore. And so because that, I mean, like, I mean, they'll they'll I mean, any of the Pittsburgh linebackers from the mid nineties, even Pig Jason Gilden whoever. Uh. The the smaller that the linebackers get, the bigger that these offens, it's going to start making a comeback. The run game, the power rung game is going to make a comeback, and then you're going to start seeing the development of more one techniques and bigger linebackers, and it's just gonna it's this endless cycle. That's the it's it's it's constantly. It's just reactionary.
Speaker 3: It's a pass heavy league. It'll go back to a run heavy league, and then it'll go back to a pass. It'll go back and forth.
Speaker 2: It's like basketball man in the playoff. Get that center off the floor, right, get off.
Speaker 4: We get so we're bringing back the mid ragons. Jumper's a zack.
Speaker 6: Baby and you get a good one. You hold him hostage, You.
Speaker 3: Got him, got it? That's it. Chris Jones, Kansas City. All right, when we come back, we got to get to some Twitter on the twenty or like Twitter on the thirty. Great conversation. We'll be back with more of the Draft show right after this.
Speaker 5: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 12: And they snapped the press. Guy who looks right, it's not there. He escapes left. He'll look for a first down.
Speaker 5: Just like football, when it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust with Blockchain dot Com. I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 12: Prescott's gonna run this himself, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 5: Get started at blockchain dot com.
Speaker 9: I'm Darren Woodson, former Dallas Cowboy player and Super Bowl champion. When I played in the NFL at a high level, I relied on my vision to see the field. As I started getting old, I noticed my vision wasn't as good and I was getting frustrated from wearing my glasses all day. I went to Lasercare Eye Center and Doctor G talked about all the options. Thanks to technology and Lasercare Eye Center, I can see near far in between. Don't funble your vision any longer. Visit them at dfwis dot com and tell them Darren Center.
Speaker 2: They got me back on my game.
Speaker 11: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos by creating sanctuaries that move you through the world with ease. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team pride. Experience our full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator and nonilists at Lincoln dot com.
Speaker 10: Hi, I'm Danny mccraie, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothieking. If Smoothie King wants to ask you, what's that sound, that's the sound of us magically transforming our smooth boat into two new decadent flavors. Dig into a Coolie or Fatalia bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Rinola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle, perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want a munch. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothie King. The Official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 1: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show.
Speaker 3: Welcome back into the Draft Show presented by Miller lte taste you can depend on. This segment is brought to you by your Texas four dealers. Ford is the best in Texas. You know what else this segment is It's time for some Twitter.
Speaker 4: There we go, all right.
Speaker 3: First question comes from mister Vallejos on Twitter. He says, name a wild card player in the first two rounds that we may not be considering for the Dallas Cowboys wild card pick. Not a normal name, with somebody that could maybe sneak up and be in those first two rounds.
Speaker 4: So we just talk about a guy for about twelve minutes, somebody who could fall that they wouldn't be expecting, Somebody like maybe they like more than we're thinking about.
Speaker 3: Let's let's do this the latter they like more than we're thinking about, because I think the fall names are have been hit pretty well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. I mean, I wonder if it like in terms of a nay. I feel like we've covered pretty much all the ends of this that it could possibly go. Because we're the last several years we've kind of been in this position of like it's like, well, not totally sure which direction they're going. They could go here. I guess it would be the one that would catch a lot of people off guard that I don't necessarily think should like safety, Like if the right safety is there in the second round for them, if for some reason Nuban falls and they have him grated higher than where he's at, Hicks, Bullert Hicks, Jayden Hicks at Washington State is a good football player. If Hicks is sitting there in the second round for your pick, is that a direction where they go, oh, okay, this is value that we like or Bullard this is value that we like. So I would say that, look at the safeties. Maybe. So those are some names. Tyler Nuban at Minnesota, Javon Bullard at Georgia, and then Jaden Hicks at Washington State. They're talking about second round, right, could be yeah, first two rounds is what they said, just names.
Speaker 2: Would you consider powers Johnson a faller considering now nobody has him in a mock draft.
Speaker 3: You're talking about to fifty six or to the fifties.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe to twenty four.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't consider it a faller. To twenty four, I'm gonna consider it maybe a slight slot, but I wouldn't consider that like a fall to me, Like I okay, Powers Johnson was around twenty to twenty five, I.
Speaker 2: Usould traded back to Buffalo at twenty eight.
Speaker 9: He is not me.
Speaker 2: Sound like a good gm over there honestly, But you're training she's trained back though at twenty eight, and you grab him there you go, say you go out of the round, say you go down.
Speaker 4: To to get him. If you're able to get able to get him in the second, I think that counts as a fall for him.
Speaker 2: I don't think you could get him at fifty six, but I think you could get him now, whether it's maybe you could go to thirty five, you know, if you had to go that far.
Speaker 3: I've got a couple of answer the trade scenarios that were hitting on the Blitz this week on the TV side, I could outline him if I want to, but or if we want to, uh, thirty five and thirty six were.
Speaker 2: Two of their guess ability.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 3: Could you get him at thirty five and thirty six? Would you feel good about it?
Speaker 2: If I would feel great about it, then I would absolutely feel great. And I got to pick up some picks. Sure, yeah, let's go.
Speaker 6: I mean to answer the question.
Speaker 7: I think what would surprise me is if they just said, you know what, like if there was a good guard there, yeah, and they just was like, all right, we're just going to kick Tyler to tackle and we're going to draft a guard.
Speaker 6: I think that would be a bit shocking.
Speaker 8: To me if they picked up one of these top guards even like, I mean, I don't even know.
Speaker 6: Do you all considered Jordan Morgan is a guard?
Speaker 9: Right?
Speaker 2: That's that's what I think they would considering.
Speaker 6: And that's what I'm saying, like, but I think I think, I bet you they.
Speaker 2: Think he's a guard.
Speaker 4: I think he projects better as a guard.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a guy we're not talking about is Christian Mahogany as a as a player as Boston College. If you're looking for a guard, if you want to kick, if you want to kick Tyler Smith outside, you know what, that's a legitimate player right there. That is a guy that it reminds me so much of. Like I'll never forget this watching his tape. They're playing Miami, they're getting crushed, they throw an interception, he makes the last tackle the game. They're getting crushed in this game. Watch the same game and he and he goes. It reminds me of Ron Leary when he played it at at Mississippi. It's gonna be at Memphis and they're getting just destroyed and he's like the best player going for them. Christian Mahogany is a really, really good player. If you start talking about some of the top guards, I'm throwing him in.
Speaker 8: Yeah, some of that temperament that you see from Tulse.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I mean you got somebody here in your building who knows the player. So yeah, I mean just spent four years with him. So Mahogany specifically. Yeah, you remember Quinn Minors from Wisconsin Whitewater. Yeah, oh man, he.
Speaker 3: Was played a maller, just a bully. Mean, that's what I see with Christian Mahogany.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He might have been on me football team. He didn't play well or the team didn't play well against Florida State, didn't play well against Miami, but he was taking care of Yeah.
Speaker 2: You know, everybody's talking like Bbe and and maybe you're gonna shift Lathum and stuff like that. You know, Morgan gets shifted, But Christian Mahogany needs to be in that mix of players that we really I'm glad. I'm just I know why Hesha's knows well, but I just I was starting to stack my board a little bit, and I'm like, this guy's really good.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he's a player.
Speaker 7: He former DT Yeah, yeah, yeah, he met he talked about Yeah. I think that does play into how he plays as well. But he, like you said, he does have a coach here that has been around him for a minute, Bobby, that might yeah, that might vouch for him or whatever.
Speaker 6: They got some good eyes on him at the Shrine Bowl as well.
Speaker 4: I will also point out because we always assume that, like I will say, that may also play against him. It may not. But a lot of times we just see they were at the same place at the same time, and like I default to it a lot too. A lot of times you find out, like I remember funny story, somebody told me they were talking about love Smith when he was in Houston, and everybody kept projecting Kirby Joseph at Illinois to go to Houston. And I talked to something like that is the last place that would draft Kirby Joseph because he and love Smith did not get along. They did, and so that's one of those things where it's like sometimes it works against you where it either it may very like solidified they're not coming here.
Speaker 2: Other times it's like they ran the ball pretty well. I think this coach would vouch for him myself.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, I imagine probably, but it is a big part of that. Yeah, if they weren't super interested, that also would explain it. Probably because oh they got somebody here who's got a testimony about it.
Speaker 3: And you brought this up earlier in the draft process. But losing Tyler biatis you lose one of those glass eaters on the offensive line. This would be another guy. This would be a glass eater that you could rely on and can play on the interior.
Speaker 4: Yes, he is all right.
Speaker 3: This one comes from cme tar heeled. Which one's more risky? And this goes back to what you just brought up. Any tar heel player, any tar Heel player leaving Tyler Smith at guard and putting a rookie at right tackle and left tackle, or rookie right tackle at left tackle.
Speaker 2: You see what I'm saying. Yeah, man, read that.
Speaker 3: Guys like that they're playing right right or playing right tackle in college, but you're putting him at left tackle, right or shifting Tyler Smith to left tackle and playing either bass or a rookie at left guard. Which one's more risky.
Speaker 4: I've seen Tyler Smith play left tackle. I've seen TJ. Bass play left card Like, I know they can do that, so that to me is not there is a question. I mean, you know Tyler Smith can play left guard, but you would You'd be the biggest variable you would be projecting in that scenario. Is a right tackle rookie moving and playing left tackle at the NFL. That's the biggest Everything else we have an answer on. We've seen it and we can say it works. We know Tyler Smith can play left guard. We've seen Tyler Smith play left tackle. We've seen TJ. Bass play left guard. Those are all things we know. This the only projection there. So if you're talking about safeguarding, what is the safest thing to do, the safest of those two scenarios would be Tyler Smith at left tackle, TJ Bassett left guard, yeah to.
Speaker 2: Me, and a rookie center, yeah, or I mean Hoffman.
Speaker 3: Or Hoffman maybe. Yeah. That's a great point. This one comes from Michael. He says, would you sacrifice the rest of your draft to grab a third round pick, keeping your eighty seven, but taking all four of your remaining draft picks, the two comp picks at one in the fifth, one in the sixth, your seven, two seventh round picks. Would you sacrifice all of that to somehow find your way back into the third and only have four picks on the weekend?
Speaker 6: No, I'm about the I'm about to cry at the idea.
Speaker 4: I'm trying to figure out how to pick up more picks. That's what I'm trying to do right now. I'm not trying to give up anything. They look as as thin as the margins seem to be right now in terms of free agency and what you're able to do, like you're gonna eat all the picks you can get to fill out those roster and find players. And I think that they've done such a good job historically of finding guys on day three that I don't wanna. I don't want to miss that.
Speaker 7: And you're playing ketch up a little bit too, because again, there's just so much uncertainty about what you're gonna get from your.
Speaker 8: What's up next?
Speaker 3: You're not on you don't have a microphone yet.
Speaker 6: What you're gonna get you.
Speaker 3: Figure it out a long way. No keep going, no, no, no, no, no, I do.
Speaker 7: I do think also to you are in a weird place and the urgency should be high because of the lack of production you got from your other class.
Speaker 8: You can't go into this draft class. You can't go into this.
Speaker 3: Draft and expect to go four for four on fourth picks in the first round.
Speaker 6: You can't go in there sitting on your fingers. I can tell you that they better.
Speaker 2: Tell you what if I if I was Houston Texans, I would consider something like that, talk about it if I was in Houston Texans, because they've had a really good offseason adding players.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're questioning chips in and they're in there, and then.
Speaker 2: If they were going to push picks, and then I'm betting that they're going to they have a guy in mind, they would get making even better right now.
Speaker 3: Because you could probably muster at eighty to eighty five selection if you wanted to trade those four picks to make it happen.
Speaker 2: The problem is, like say, we've talked about this a bunch I usual will tell you this too. A bunch of guys went out the door. I got a bunch of guys and now your depth, where's your depth? You know you're going to need every one of those fifth, sixth round picks. I think to kind of, you know, get that taken care of, and then you're going to have to have the after draft where you're going to spend you know, a couple hundred thousand dollars on bonuses for some players.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I thought that was a good point that Nick made the other day. It's just how Dallas handles, you know, post draft and yeah, the DF and how much they got you that and they're able to bring guys in.
Speaker 6: Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 3: Next Twitter on a twenty question comes from Kyle from Waco. Nick, how's your day, Ben? Nick Harris, Welcome to the Joe.
Speaker 4: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 13: About fifteen minutes or so, let's let's let's get into.
Speaker 3: It, get into it. Well, we got to take our second break. Oh okay, So when we come back, we're going to talk about some positional day in this draft and talk about what happens whenever the talent falls off and how quickly could it fall off for the Cowboys and for the NFL Draft. When we come back.
Speaker 14: Hi Drew Pearson, former Dallas Cowboy and now Pro Football Hall of Famer Here. If you're struggling with your vision and tired of those contacts and glasses, don't throw ahell Mary, go where I went. Laser Care Eye Center, the official laser partner of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 4: Drew, thank you so much for trusting us with your vision correction procedure. At Laser Care I Center, we offer six different vision correction procedures to help patients see check.
Speaker 14: Them out at dfwis dot com. Tell them Drew sent you hoot.
Speaker 11: In a stressful world, Lincoln provides balance and calm amidst the chaos by creating sanctuaries that move you through the world with ease. Our vehicles make your time richer and more uplifting with human centric design, intelligent technology, and powerful performance. As the official luxury vehicle of the Dallas Cowboys, driving a Lincoln is just another way to show your team pride. Experience our full lineup of luxury vehicles, including the Corsair Aviator, Navigator and Natilists at Lincoln dot com.
Speaker 5: I'm Dak Prescott, quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, and they.
Speaker 12: Snapper the frushcout who looks white that's not there? He escape flap, he'll walk for a punch style.
Speaker 5: Just like football. When it comes to crypto, it's important to have a team you can trust. With blockchain dot Com, I know I'm in good hands. Since twenty eleven, they've been trusted by millions around the world to buy, sell, and trade cryptocurrency.
Speaker 12: Prescott's gonna rub this ship show, run it up the middle, and he scores.
Speaker 5: Whether you're new to crypto or an active trader, They've got you covered.
Speaker 2: What are you waiting for?
Speaker 5: Get started at blockchain dot Com.
Speaker 10: Hi, I'm Danny mccraid, Dallas Cowboys alumni player here with Smoothie King, and Smoothie King wants.
Speaker 4: To ask you, what's that sound.
Speaker 10: That's the sound of us magically transforming our smooth bowls into two new decking and flavors. Dig into a cool Iae or Fataya bowl handcrafted with crunchy purely Elizabeth Vernola fresh strawberries and finished with the velvety chocolate hazel nut drizzle. Perfect for breakfast, lunch, or anytime you want to much. And that's the sound of you making them disappear. Smoothie bowls now in two new decadent flavors only as Smoothie King. The official Smoothie of the Dallas Cowboys.
Speaker 3: Is the Dallascowboys dot Com Draft Show. Back here on the Draft Show. The twenty twenty four Dallas Cowboys Star Magazine Draft Guide has in depth counting reports from the top college players with more than four hundred prospects included, plus breakdowns of the Cowboys needs in each position. Look back over ten years ago to the team's dramatic draft and the first round mock draft from Nick, Harris and Moore. Get your copy of the twenty twenty four NFL Draft Guide at your local pro shop for Dallas Cowboys dot Com slash Star.
Speaker 2: Where did our copies go?
Speaker 3: Did somebody take all the magazines? Are they flying that quickly off the shelf? They're somewhere. There's somewhere in here. All right, go get your Draft Guide. Go get it, Alice, Cowboys dot Com slash Star. All right, We've got some positional resets to do. These are superlatives in the class. And I wanna start with Nick on this one deepest position group in the entire class. Which which one would you go with in the entire draft clubs? One that's going to stretch into day three with legitimate talent top to bottom.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think you got to look at wide receiver right with the talents that are at the top of the board, and then you look into day two into day three, there's there's so much top end talent, but then I really feel like there's some value there on day three. We've talked about some guys earlier in the process. Guy like Josh Cephis out of Utsa. Yeah, that's a big body type receiver that you could probably get in the sixth or seventh round and which is kind of wild to to look at and see. But you look at Jalen Kocher out of Holy Cross, that's another interesting receiver that you feel like you could get. You talked talked about Jawan Jackson the other day out of two Lane. He's probably earlier day three, But I mean those are the types of talents that I think you'll be able to hit on once Saturday rolls around.
Speaker 7: Yeah. For me, it will be corner, I mean to second to second receiver, our receiver. Yeah, man, I mean you start looking at corner. I think some of these guys will be.
Speaker 6: Here, maybe like Jerry and Jones later cam Hart, some of these guys, I don't think. I mean, even we it sounds crazy, but even talking about Quanta.
Speaker 7: Stickers, I think he's going to be a player, but he might be available in some of these later rounds. I think corner stretches into that fourth round, beginning of the fifth round, where you you should be able to get some equality guy in there and at least give you some contribution right away at the very least on special teams.
Speaker 3: Yeah, kind of on the opposite side, Bobby, what about most underrated position in the draft?
Speaker 4: You know, it's funny, we're just we're just talking about it a little bit because I think, you know, we were talking about frustrations. I like the running back depth outside of the first round, I do. I like, Yeah, I like some of the running I've got a cluster of running backs like in the third round that I like and guys that stretch into the fourth. So I think that running back typically has been one of these positions that when you you you can find a good one on Day three, and I think that's really similar this year. It's not very top heavy at all. But if if you're talking about I think the lack of a first round pop name has had a lot of people talking down on the class overall. But I think there's there's good depth there where I think you're potentially going to be grabbing guys on day three that you have a round higher graded than where you're picking them.
Speaker 3: Who are some of those names that you had that you were talking about that cluster of guys.
Speaker 4: I mean, so in the third round, I've got estimate, I've got Lloyd, I've got Irving, I've got quorum, I've got right. I mean, I think you look at Grendo at Louisville like I mean, there's a bunch of different guys here that I'm a big fan of, the Clemson guy like him. There's just a good stack of running backs to me that on day two, day three you're going to be able to find good value for There's just a cluster of them that, you know, I think they're going to stretch a little bit. Guys that will have in the third round, I think are going to go on the fourth. Guys having the fourth going the fifth Will Shipley by the way, Cli yes Shipley.
Speaker 6: How did you guys feel? Abou Kamani Vido.
Speaker 3: Troy interesting prospect. I think he's late Day three but still a guy. I mean, he's got some weaponry to him. You know, he's got some speed. He's another one of those smaller backs that you you think could maybe provide a bit of a jolt. I mean it's only five seven.
Speaker 7: Because that's the thing about some of these guys that are later that you were talking about, Bobby, is like you, you look at some of the size with some of them, and that maybe that's something that's deters you because a couple of guys like that.
Speaker 3: Ammi Bailey from TCU, Vital.
Speaker 7: From Troy George Jordan Louisville can play, but the size is something that maybe is the reason why they would be there.
Speaker 6: But to your point, though, Bobby, I do think that there are some guys that can be there later decad I wish Bailey would have run better, Amani.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the times were not great on Bailey. That was a little disappointed. But also like a combine no here and uh here at the star at the big twelve combine. Oh yeah yeah, because I mean that's your that size. You got to be faster than four six and so. But now I think even they're smaller guys, even in the guys we're talking about in the second third round, Like, I mean, Korum's smaller, you know, Irving, Like You've got these different guys that are they're on the smaller.
Speaker 2: End, Ray Davis.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: But the power, the power that appeal you with Bailey?
Speaker 4: No, it does, it does. Still, I mean who's who Okay, specifically here in Dallas, who's my like home run guy then right now? Yeah, Like I mean period, and that's I mean, that's that's I mean, just right now you're dealing with like you know, you're dealing with a lot of power. There's not a lot of home run right now.
Speaker 10: That's sir.
Speaker 13: I think the thing with the money Bailey, if they were to take a leap on a guy like that, they probably need to draft a power back earlier in the draft. Like that would be a situation where they're comfortable going in taking two backs in the draft and he's probably the second one that they take on Day three or if he is up undrafted. That's that's an interesting guy that you would probably look at.
Speaker 3: Okay, Brian, what do you think about underrated positions?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm kind of looking right now at cornerback when I when I start, because I know my board you know, I start to get down into the fourth and fifth round, there's some guys that I absolutely uh would be okay playing with. I know that I've talked about my love for King from Penn State, Abrams, Drain from Missouri, you know, uh Jackson there, There's there's several of these guys. Melton another one that I really really like. I feel like though that that it's kind of you see the top of the draft and and we'll see what happens with Wiggins. I know that Arnold Mitchell, those guys Djon, well, they'll they'll probably go Tampa. He didn't run great here out for you guys at the Pro day stuff, but there's.
Speaker 4: Shuttle times were good though. Yeah, there's some stuff. There's still some stuff that you can extract.
Speaker 2: Top of it is like they've got some players and this I think this thing stretches into the third, fourth, fifth round. I think so if if I had to if I had to say, okay, well, best available player, best player on my board, it might be because I know we're going to get into the draft and it's like, okay, who do you guys guy as your best player? And I have a feeling there's gonna be either it's either gonna be a corner on my board. It might even be an edge, might be another guy that kind of comes in the guards we've talked about. We mentioned Mahogany and those guys and then wide receiver. So I just have a feeling it's going to be, Okay, who's your best guy on the board, It'll be one of that position group because that seems pretty thick between round four, five and six for me.
Speaker 3: You mentioned ed rusher. I feel like that's the same scenario of running back without that top heavy just mauler of a name. You've got a lot too at the top from UCLA. You've got Jared First from Florida State, But neither one of those guys are the Aiden Hutchinson's, the Trayvon Walkers of the world that were just dominating draft storylines. I think it's an underrated position because you've got plenty of talented ed rushers top to bottom that can make an impact. I'm looking down at like the Murphy brothers from UCLA. Yeah, those are two guys that will make an NFL team, could make an NFL roster as rookies and find their way into playing time. As rookies. Mo Kamara from Colorado State is another guy you could get in the middle rounds that that could be an impact player.
Speaker 2: Caesar from Houston.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Nelson fascinating talent, really good player.
Speaker 13: Between him and David Ugle Eggbow at Houston, both of those guys coming out of edge rushers. Yeah, he's got something going down there. If you were Jalb Hunt as a Houston Christian edge rusher. Yes, that's another one.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I look, I mean I like me some Logan le too. I like some of what I saw from him Iowa, Yeah, in from Iowa. Some of the things he was able to do at the Senior Bowl, just how quick his get off is and how he can redirect people. I think he's a guy that might be there in the later rounds too. That are that's still interesting, that's still intriguing as a player that you might take a chance on.
Speaker 9: For sure.
Speaker 2: You know the thing that you guys were reporting on at Dallas Cowboys dot com or all these linebackers too, they're there. And maybe that's positions not as deep. I mean, it's surely not as top heavy, but maybe in the rounds two, three, and four, it seems like, to me, the names that you guys report they're hunting, they're hunting that position right now and trying to kind of get that in order by bringing those guys in and then stacking them the way like, Okay, this guy's got this trade, this guy's got this trade. You get the interviews, you know, the coaches with him and all that, they'll figure all this out. But that seems like a position they're hunting right now.
Speaker 6: I don't think you can sit on your hands with the linebup, no class.
Speaker 13: Yeah, I think that's that's probably a position. I feel like though, it's probably gonna come down to either D tackle or linebacker that you get on day two because the expectation offensive line round one. You got to get the running back somewhere on day two, so the other pick you're either gonna have to spend on a D tackle or linebacker.
Speaker 3: You would have had a whole lot of fun in our first second.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were, We're about to tell me something. I just told you, y'all.
Speaker 2: Just no, you went through that scenario basically, Yeah, yeah, Well, if you had the extra three say that, then you would you what position would you pick up if you had the extra pick.
Speaker 13: Yeah, the other one then that do tackle linebacker for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, weakest position in the draft class. This one's kind of tough.
Speaker 2: One technique really just I think knowses. Yeah, you know, I usual was talking about it that we just don't play that way anymore, you know that to have the guys like Sweat and Fisk and Jackson Mason Smith. Mason Smith was a five star if I'm right, nick, five star recruit, and he didn't play like a five star recruit, you know.
Speaker 13: I mean, this has hurt him quite a bit, but it's still to the point whenever he took it on the field, it was different than what was expected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was he was supposed to be this highly touted type player and he did not play that way. But I I I'm having I'm having a hard time right now finding me a one. I really am about the.
Speaker 4: Guard class one technique to get into. I don't like the tight ends.
Speaker 3: I don't either.
Speaker 4: Powers is good, but I mean, you know, some people feel a little too small. I'm not a fan of Theo Johnson, not a fan of Stover even.
Speaker 3: Though so I like I like Jaheim Bell, I like Kate Sonat or Ben Sonnat rather stover guys.
Speaker 4: The guys that I like would be uh like Bowers snat Jared Wiley, Like, I mean that's kind of and I mean even still, like I mean, there's there's there's questions there, and I mean, like I think there is it blow people, but I mean I think there's a decent chance, Like the second tight end off the board is Jared Wiley.
Speaker 13: Yeah, don't be surprised if that happened. Yeah, absolutely, no, that's fair and I.
Speaker 4: Think in most tight end classes that would not be the case.
Speaker 7: But I agree with you is that we're also in this weird place with tight end to me as well, where it used to be you want guys that can block in line, they gotta have a bigger body whatever and now, but a lot of these guys are receiver esque and.
Speaker 8: So it takes away from their blocking and some of the things they can do.
Speaker 6: So it's to your point.
Speaker 7: I feel the same way about a lot of d ns too. It's like some of them they're rushing the passion, but it doesn't mean they're able to shed and tackle consistently either. It's kind of like a trickle down effect. So when you talk about the tight end position.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 8: I feel like it's either this or that with a lot of them.
Speaker 7: Some of them have some athleticism that stands out to you, but then you're like, Okay, but the baby you getting ran over by this d N right.
Speaker 6: Now, so it's up and down.
Speaker 7: I do like a I think like a Tanner McLachlan as a Arizona is a guy that has a little bit of both to where you can work with him. I watched Eric all the other day, and I know his body is toe up as a weapon.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you brought him up. He's still with that back injury. He had the surgery and stuff on that and something you're going to completely have to deal with. But I agree, I was I'm glad you brought him up.
Speaker 9: Eric.
Speaker 2: He transferred from Michigan so that you could now about drafting a Michigan player. You don't have to worry about that you're drafting an Iowa player. So yeah, but this is there's a versatility to his game. He plays like an athlete at six four, two hundred and fifty two pounds. When you watch him play, the movement I mean, you talk about the movement he gets coming off the ball, pretty impressive there, Eric All.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just whenever you look at the tight end position, I'm looking at brock Bauers up top. I like Jatavian Sanders from Texas too.
Speaker 4: I think he's like the upside.
Speaker 3: There is upside there, But then it's just a bunch of guys. That's just kind of where it's at with the position. There's a significant you talked about it a little bit there, Nick, whenever you're saying top to bottom from Catstover to Jared Wiley, it could be However, many picks in between, they could go anywhere in the third, third round on.
Speaker 4: I will say I think that when I say Wiley second off the world, it's because I think most I think most teams are going to have Wiley above Sanders.
Speaker 3: He thinks most.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Wow.
Speaker 3: Both of them are guys that played two ways in high school, so it's different, you know, Like they're both raw at the position.
Speaker 4: So was Quentin Johnston's quarterback.
Speaker 7: But I do think Jeane Bell is going to rise because people are looking for Deebo esque feel and I think he can do some of that stuff as well. So I'm like, yeah, this class is different, This tight end class is different.
Speaker 6: How does it compare to last year's se y'all?
Speaker 13: Last year's much much more time, much stronger lets stronger of both the.
Speaker 4: Top in talent.
Speaker 13: Last year's class, I think once you got into late day two, early day three, though, you were kind of reaching in certain points, like there were a couple of teams I'd hit I can't think off the top of my head, But it was the top end talent that really made the tight end class one.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 3: I mean you're you're hearing guys in prospects talk about guys that they modeled their game after. And one of the names is Sam la Porter. He was a rookie last year. Yeah, that's how impactful that rookie class was a year.
Speaker 2: But is right too about Bell? They hand him the ball on reverses and stuff like that in the open field. I mean, the guys, the guy's got some legitimate talent running with the ball, catching the ball as well.
Speaker 3: All right, we got to get out of here. It was good having you for the last year.
Speaker 13: I feel like I'm about to sing a song, Like I'm just standing over this mic.
Speaker 3: What would your song choice beak?
Speaker 4: No, there's a reason.
Speaker 3: He would put us all the shame for Nick Harris, for Bobby Bell, Bryan brought us for Aisha Morrison and Chris Beam in the back of Kyle Yoman saying so long, we will see you next week on the Draft Show.
Speaker 1: This has been a production of dallascowboys dot Com and the Dallas Cowboys Football Club.