Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: It's our two on this Friday. It's a meat Friday. At that baked chicken pot pie, loaded mashed potatoes, pumpkin pie, and cupcakes. Cupcakes, Oh cupcakes. Who Yes, the cupcakes were a late ad to go along with pumpkin Poh.
Speaker 3: Good time.
Speaker 2: Eight seven seven three DP Show Email Andre stpat Dan Patrick dot com, Twitter handle at DP show for the ladies. Brady Quinn will join us coming up here in a little bit stat of the day brought to you by Panini America, the official trading cards of the program. We got a busy night and Los Angeles. That's pretty much the center of the sports universe. Rams last night beat the Vikings. They're now three to four and probably not selling off anybody. They might be buyers. And then you got Yankey's Dodgers Game one coming up tonight, Garrett Cole versus Jack Flaherty. You also have Rutgers and USC You have the Lakers against the Phoenix Suns. All of that coming up tonight, all of that coming up this weekend. All right, eight seven to seven to three. DP Show Operator Tyler is sitting by he'll get your phone calls here coming up. We'll recap last night with the Rams, get everybody on the field, and they win. They put up a lot of offense. When you have Stafford and Cup and Nakua and Williams out there, they're putting up four hundred yards of offense averaging twenty eight points a game. And you're in a division that you can win because right now, Seattle's the only team that has a winning record in the NFC West. The Niners are banged up. The Niners got the Cowboys, and that's a tricky game because you think that the Cowboys are going to eventually have one of those games where you go, okay, they're pretty good, like they really need this, but could you see the Niners losing another game. I think it's a four point Niners spread in that game. But Dallas is going to get it right for a little while. I don't think it's consistent, but I do think that they'll have that run where they win three or four games in a row and then they'll have everybody go, well, Okay, the Cowboys, once they got healthy, they can be a team to be well. They're in a division where we know the Giants aren't very good. Eagles might be a little bit better than we are giving them credit for. And then you got the Commanders, and I think people are still fifty to fifty on is it legitimate? I think it is. I don't know if Jaden Daniels plays in the showdown against the Bears in Caleb Williams. But that's a good team. It's a good solid team. Are they a division winner? Well, the way the division is right now, sure, But the Eagles, to me, they're the ones that are probably more of a disappointment than a lot of these other Like I expect them to be a Super Bowl can but they don't feel they're a four and two team that feels like they're three and three or maybe two and four. You're just waiting because it feels like it's teetering on. Oh boy, this could be greater. Oh boy, this is going to go south in a hurry. But some of the matchups coming up this weekend. You got Ravens Browns. I keep waiting for the Browns to have one of those games. Just like when I said Carolina was going to beat the Raiders in Las Vegas, nobody had that. It was just a gut feeling the Browns are going to have one of those games where you go, I'll be damn now, they're going to do it without Deshaun Watson. And I always look for it's the game after the game where you go, you know, do the Lions play the Packers in two weeks? They got the Titans this week and the Titans are eleven and a half point underdogs. Here. It's like with college football. You got Oregon in Illinois, Well, who's Oregon play after this? They play at Michigan. That's where you get those trap games. That's where you get that team that's going, oh, yeah, we're gonna win that game, and then we're going to start gearing up for that team. But there's you know, like the Eagles are getting three against the Bengals. I mean, that's the Bengals season. They have to win that game. The Jets against the Patriots, the Jets are favored by seven. That is absolute must win here, but you must win ish. There's still if you look at the AFC, the teams that could be getting into the playoffs right now, the Colts in the Broncos. If you're the Jets, you have to be looking at this and going we wasted a golden opportunity. We should have at least two more wins, maybe three more wins. We should be the team to beat. We should be in the playoffs if the Colts and or Broncos get in. What an even bigger disappoint with the Jets the Chiefs against the Raiders. The Chiefs they're favored by nine and a half in this game. Wasn't there one of the defensive backs the Raiders, his name is Jack Jones, and he was asked this question about the showdown with Patrick Mahomes. Does that kind of help your game?
Speaker 1: Just not having that intimidation by a guy like Mahomes.
Speaker 4: Intimidata Baom, I mean, I don't think nobody in is locking room in timid data Biom.
Speaker 5: I mean there's good players all across the league.
Speaker 6: He had a good player, So you know, we see guys every week, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So, I mean we're not really we focused on us. It's more than we are about him, you know what I'm saying. Yes, what did you think he was going to say? Man, I'm intimidated, whether you are or not, you do not say that. Hey, you know you intimidated. But no, no, and why should he. I mean, Mahomes has been kind of average this year. The Chiefs offense has been I have averaged this year. But even then, at Mahomes' peak, you still can't say, yeah, I'm intimidating. John Smoltz, the pitcher, was talking about there were certain hitters that made him nervous. He said, Bonds did Pooholz made him nervous, Big Poppy made him nervous. Now you don't show that, and you never say that. And he wouldn't have said that while he was still pitching for the Braves. He said that last week after the fact. You can say, yeah, you made me nervous when I faced you. But the Raiders shouldn't be intimidated by Patrick Mahomes or vice versa. If you asked Mahomes about Max Crosby, Hey, does he intimidate you? What's Mahomes going to say? He's going to be like, I don't know what do you want me to say, I'm not going to show up, I'm nervous, I'm scared. He's a professional, he's ready to go. You love that, yes, Mark?
Speaker 7: And then the Raiders beat the Chiefs last year.
Speaker 2: That was Christmas Day, wasn't it was? That's when I thought, Okay, now we're going to see how good the Chiefs are because they got handled, like physically man handled there, and then we saw what that did for It was almost like it woke them up, like you can't go through the motions here. Whether they felt that way or not, that was the feeling I had when I watched them. I'm like, oh my god, they are pedestrian today. And then all of a sudden we saw what they were able to do. And you got a new receiver in there, working him into the lineup, de hop And you know, here's another thing. You know, DeAndre Hopkins was trashing the Titans on the way out. He chose to go to the Titans, like trash yourself, not them. You chose to go there. Revisionist history here, yes, Paulie.
Speaker 8: After you and Marvin said that the Chiefs lost to the Vegas on Christmas Day, I was like, I remember that, but how did that happen? The Aid O'Connell had sixty two yards passing in nine completions and somehow beat the Chiefs on Christmas Day?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's nutty.
Speaker 7: I forgot about that one.
Speaker 2: You can't stop Aiden O'Connell. You only hope to continue.
Speaker 8: You are right, there's like three or four games every year that a team that should not even be close to winning wins.
Speaker 2: Outright, it happens every single week. Where you go, how did that? You know? The matchups are always fascinating where you go, How did that team beat that team? Like bill Seahawks is a really interesting game. Bill's are favored by three in that game, Colts Texans is kind of sneaky good believe it or not. Colt's getting five. What else to back Arizona getting four against the Dolphins the Cowboys game, though, kind of weird feeling about that. I had a weird feeling about like you give me a home dog, and when I used to bet a home dog Monday night, always took the home dog always, And even last night standalone game Thursday night, I would have taken the Rams and the points at home. They had everybody back and we're still waiting to see if the Vikings are for real. And you know, it was a competitive game, interesting game. You had the controversy with the face mask, but that's not the reason why the Vikings lost. But it was entertaining, but it told me more about the Rams than it did the Vikings. I think the Vikings are going to be in all of their games this year, but the Rams, when they have it all together, they're as formidable as any offense in the NFL. Right now, Steven Burbank, Hi, Steve, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 5: Hi?
Speaker 4: Six to one, one ninety seven. Yeah, La is just levitating right now between the Rams, the Lakers, and the Dodgers. You know, the Lakers will probably win the playing tournament this year, but and then you know, we could have the Rams. But the play that you guys kept we you know, we're looking about is the face mask. If you look at it. And when I was looking at it live, I was waiting for someone to mention that after right after he did the defensive lineman you know, held his face mask, he put his hands to the side of his head like, oh man, I messed up big time. But I never heard anybody saying thing about it. I'm not sure if if.
Speaker 2: Maybe he looked guilty, Steve, But there's nothing you could do if they didn't see it in the moment they they didn't. They can't huddle and go, hey, we missed a face mask here. Unless you throw a flag, then you can pick up the flag. You can't put the flag down after the fact, like they'll meet On second thought, we would like to put a flag down dropping some laundry on the field. Yeah. Don't they do that though, where they go back and they just drop a flag on the play? I think so, I don't. I don't think not in a situation like that where they missed the call. I don't think. Can you gather and go, hey, we miss the call, let's throw a flag there.
Speaker 6: I'm almost positive that they will do that inside two minutes.
Speaker 2: Is that factor in as well? I don't know. I mean, I'm naive when it comes to this. I know they pick up flags. I don't know if they would do after the fact. If they got together right after that play.
Speaker 6: If they had gotten together fifteen seconds after that play and dropped the flag and bin like face mask, would anyone have been upset?
Speaker 2: No? But I don't know if they're allowed to.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I feel like they do. Maybe I'm imagining. I would hope that they would, but.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they allow them to have the you know, total autonomy to go, hey, yeah, we miss that maybe you know, Fritzy, reach out to Florio and just ask him or the NFL. I hate to bother them. They hate hearing from us. A nice Friday email from us and ask him how the commissioners doing as well? No, don't do that, just kidding, all right. Poll question for hour two is going to be one Seaton, No gun. He doesn't appreciate that sense. He does not the commissioner. That commissioner doesn't have a sense of humor like the other ones do with me.
Speaker 6: And you think about rob Manfred just taking like, hey, so what's your contract status?
Speaker 2: How do your raise his work?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 2: Yes? And Adam Adam Silver has a sense of humor with me. Yeah, he's a boss, Yes he is. And I appreciate that the NFL commissioner has no sense of humor and no time for me. And do not promise me, promise me last show. The commissioner does not come on? All right, Roger Goodell, I'm sure he'll promise that he won't come on.
Speaker 7: He just called in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't. I don't. I don't want him, Okay, Todd, that's fine. I don't want this surprise. I don't. I don't want that. That's that's not emblematic of what the show has been about. Yes see, do you have.
Speaker 6: The same rule for Michael Jordan, who's been dodging us for thirty years too.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna let him call in. Yeah, at one time, that's good. I support that.
Speaker 6: I just wanted to make sure that MJ's not off the table too, because if he decided, hey, last show, I'm gonna call in.
Speaker 7: Great.
Speaker 2: I think there's a chance Jordan will call in my last show, you do, I do? I do a better chance than the NFL commissioner. But you know what, commissioners normally don't want to tell you anything like it sounds. I remember when we work together at ESPN, We're like, we're getting the commissioner on, and then they don't say anything. So it's a disservice to the audience. Now, these commissioners Adam Silver and Rob Manfred, all right, you're telling me there's gonna be automatic balls and strikes in the next four years. All right, we get some news out of this. But Adam Silver, with some of the chain has he made, with suggestions that I made to him. I appreciate that. But this commissioner, he's not. I shouldn't have got sidetracked. Yeh suh.
Speaker 6: The mist faced mask, the missed face mask call. Sorry, that's hard for me to say. The mist face mask call. In the Rams Vikings game is NBD or BD no.
Speaker 2: Big deal or big deal.
Speaker 8: Here's a segment.
Speaker 2: Wow, NBD or BD right now? B D seventy nine percent. It's a big deal, I guess because of the it's an eight point margin. If it was nine points, then I think it would be NBD. But all right, b D, yeah, all right, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 8: NBD or BD is locked for the future of this show, just like Off or Off Off, which crushed.
Speaker 2: Yesterday and in or Out or most must win Game of the weekend or Dour rankings we're crushing right, Yeah.
Speaker 6: We got segments on segments on segments right here, NBD or b D.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I like that. But coming up, it's b Q. It's Brady Quinn. I see what you do with the initials. Thank you, Todd.
Speaker 8: Yes, by the way, Sports Center had a segment this morning, playoff or layoff.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's just bruin my week I playoff or layoff? How did we not come.
Speaker 7: Up with that?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 2: So jealous? I'm going to layoff here. I don't think the titles are coming up. Playoffs or layoffs. D Grass will join us, swag o, Ryan Clark, postseason or end of season?
Speaker 7: What did Jerry said?
Speaker 2: Go ahead? Yeah, that's real. That is that's every every day. Jerry Jones must love the Mothership because every day he gives them something and he gets his publicity. It's a it's a beautiful relationship between those two. All right, let me take a break. Rady Quinn will join us. You get get your phone calls coming up. Recap what's ahead for this college football weekend, the NFL Weekend World Series tonight. And Fritzie keeps saying, do not sleep on Rutgers USC. You know I'm going to.
Speaker 7: I'm literally that, but I think it's going to be pretty hot.
Speaker 2: It's eleven Eastern. I'm literally going to sleep on USC and Rutgers. I am.
Speaker 3: Rutgers is gonna keep that with it about four or five points.
Speaker 2: What's the betting line on that?
Speaker 3: I don't know, but I feel twenty seven to twenty three Trojans is what I'm feeling.
Speaker 2: Okay, check the bomb, do you ah? That's right? We got a pea bomb coming up at some point today. Pauli's got his pea bomb pe bomb. Let's take a break back after this.
Speaker 1: Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsports Radio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app. Search FSR to listen live.
Speaker 2: He's Brady Quinn, Fox College football analyst, former Notre Dame quarterback, former Cleveland Brown quarterback. Had the Browns reached out to you, Brady about playing for them again?
Speaker 9: No, they have not, But look, I'm excited for a couple of reasons. Obviously, what happened to DeShawn is awful, and even worse obviously the reaction from the crowd, But it does provide an opportunity to see what Jameis Winston can do. And I am one of the biggest Jamis Winston fans. I just love everything he brings to a team, as far as everything he does as a leader and how he communicates.
Speaker 7: But also I think he can play.
Speaker 9: I was shocked teams didn't try to trade for him before the season started, because there were some places I thought he would be a better quarterback than the situation they had going in the season.
Speaker 7: So he gets his shot, his opportunity.
Speaker 9: We saw what this team did last year with backup quarterbacks still making the playoffs, so hopefully he can make a run for my Brownies. But also, Ken Dorsey call him plays. I was with Ken for a couple of years and he's one of the better offensive minds that I've been around as a player that's now turned into a coach.
Speaker 7: So I'm excited for his opportunity.
Speaker 2: Would you rather have Joe Flacco or Jamis Winston with the Cleveland Browns?
Speaker 9: Probably Jamis, and I mean, obviously it's a hypothetical that's not possible right now. Now, if we went back to the beginning of the season, it would be hard not to go with Flacco based on what he did for the Browns last year. But look, we had to play against that guy. You know, Joe's Joe's a heck of a player. There's a reason why he still play and still able to do it at a high level. But I would I mean, look, Jamis is the guy for right now, that's all.
Speaker 2: Who who will be the starting quarterback for the Browns next year?
Speaker 7: I think it will still be de Shaun Watson.
Speaker 9: Okay, now that's pending that he's able to come back from the injury and rehab and be ready to go in time. If that's not the case, clearly it could be Jamis, could be someone else, depending on how this you know, this year goes. I guess for Jamis, but pending that he's healthy enough to come back, I just think the contract straps Cleveland the situation for at least another year. I think the other unfortunate part was that was probably one of his better.
Speaker 7: Games before he got injured. So that's disappointed to.
Speaker 2: See Brady Quinn and the big noon kickoff crew in Columbus. It's Ohio State hosting Nebraska pregame show on Fox Airs every Saturday starting at ten a m. Eastern. You got a good handle on Ohio State, I.
Speaker 9: Think so, although a couple of weeks ago when they lost to Oregon, that game was a bit surprising to me. I thought watching both teams all year, Ohio State was the much better team, and when it came down to it, Oregon was able to get Evan Stewart involved. I think everyone who didn't know who that was probably does now that follows college football, and they'll see when people start talking about the draft when he's draft eligible and ready to go with the speed that he has, the big playability, and obviously Dylan Gabriel too, I think helped himself out in his draft stock. But Oregon didn't look like that coming into the game. So that was a huge statement I think for them, be for Ohio State, it's diagn why have they struggled so bad on defense to stop the run in these big games? To get more pressure on opposing quarterbacks. They've got the talent, they've got the ability, is it, scheme is it? Some of these guys, they don't have enough depth to rotate them out and put fresher guys in to allow JT. Twey Moloau and Jack Sawyer and guys like that to go out for the quarterback. I think over the bye week they had a lot of questions to answer on the defensive side of the ball.
Speaker 2: Give me the game that you're just not quite sure that the team that's supposed to win is going to win.
Speaker 7: Oh, that's a tough one for this week, I guess.
Speaker 9: Look, I'll start off by talking about Notre Dame, and in part because I think I go back to the Northern Illinois loss and I feel like when you have a game like that, every game after that, you're kind of like, I don't know they should win. I think they're gonna win handily. I think the passing game is gonna look better this week than it ever has. But this is a Navy team that's undefeated, and I know they haven't played the most difficult schedule. But Blake Horvaf their quarterback, who also as a Columbus product by the way, as the Hilio Derby kid. I always try to follow those quarterbacks from areas where I'm from, and he's done a phenomenal job for him this year. And I think defensively too, there'll be some wrinkles for him. So that's one game that concerns me because Dan these games, you know, when you play against a triple option or option style team, they start practicing back in the spring for this.
Speaker 7: There's training camp.
Speaker 9: Even the bye week, you'll start implementing some of the option plays just to get your defense ready for it, because it's so tough to prepare for everything you're going to face in just a week's time. And I know people at home are like, come on, this should never happen. Well, like they're undefeeding right now is the first team. Both teams Army and Navy have been unterfeat it since like nineteen twenty six. So let's let's give a lot of those young men credit and the coaching staffs because they don't have an NIL fund.
Speaker 7: It's not like they're turning rosters over to fransfer Portal, all right. They're doing it the old school way with these old.
Speaker 9: School offenses, and it's awesome to see them having so much success in this era.
Speaker 7: Of college football.
Speaker 2: Okay, but explain this to me, and I know it's probably like a baseball hitter facing a knuckleballer. You're not going to see it very often. You got to kind of get adjusted to it, and then you don't see it again the rest of the season. You're facing Army and you're facing Navy, and from the when we watch this, it just looks like it's slight a hand, Like there's three or four different people in a small area who could all end up with the ball and it's really just kind of sleight of hand here. But for the defense, why is it so difficult to be able to kind of I don't know, take this into perspective of who's got the ball.
Speaker 9: Because we're asking eighteen to twenty two year olds to be disciplined, right, I mean.
Speaker 7: That's the reality of what it is. It's they're going to come down to.
Speaker 9: There's gonna be a read off of one guy three separate times throughout a play when you're talking about the triple option, and at some point you're betting that either you're in space is better than that guy, or that guy who's reading is gonna make mistake, or someone else is gonna make a mistake. And that's what it comes down to. And I think, look, it puts pressure on offenses. I remember when we'd play Navy back in the day, you got like nine possessions and so you better score because they're going to score, and they're gonna eat up the clock, and they're gonna go for fourth downs like they're not afraid when it's fourth and three to go for it because they understand like what's at stake if they don't get it, and so they're much more aggressive in that sense. So it put puts pressure on everyone to be disciplined. They always hear I discipline well more so than ever versus option teams like this, And also to their credit, they're.
Speaker 7: So good at running these plays.
Speaker 9: Like I can recall a time when I was watching because like, this is an offense that you don't see very often, so you want to watch those guys do it. And I swear to god, it looked like their quarterback back when I was playing, was going on like it was like an a limbo, like he was going under the bar and he was his back was almost touching the ground.
Speaker 7: He still pitched the ball off to the pitch man, And I thought.
Speaker 9: To myself, like, we did everything right, but we couldn't stop that particular place.
Speaker 7: So it just comes down to discipline.
Speaker 9: That Again, it's par for eighteen and twenty three year olds to be disciplined sometimes.
Speaker 2: Okay, if it comes down to this, let's say Army or Navy are there for that twelfth spot or Illinois. Let's say is like we're putting on a TV show here. The twelve team playoff is a team. It is a TV show, whether you want to agree to it or not. But it's about entertainment. It's about storylines as well. Can you see where the committee would lean towards one of the military academies.
Speaker 9: I think if it falls within the guidelines, right if they happen to be the highest rank that comes from a group of five as far as far as a conference champ, and then they also have to be undefeated. I do think it's going to take a team that's undefeated, Like I kind of thought Liberty might have a shot before the season. Obviously, their hopes went down the drain in dramatic fashion earlier this week, so they won't be a part of that. But I think it's going to take either Navy or Army in this case, to be undefeated and be the conference champ of the AC when it's all said and done.
Speaker 7: I think that's the only way they can get in.
Speaker 9: And obviously these two teams score offers is one another, so we know that's not gonna be a possibility for one of them. But I think in that scenario, I personally would love to see it. You know, I've gotten to know coach Mankin an Army over the years with the work my foundation does, and when you think about what these young men are signing up for after college and all that, there's a much bigger picture here, So I think it'd be fascinating to see.
Speaker 7: I think it'd be you know, time plays to the advantage.
Speaker 9: Though of the teams they're playing in the playoff, because they've got a little additional time to break down and prepare, you know, for that scheme. But during the course of regular season a little different obviously. But I'd love to see it, and I won't say I hope it happens, but it would be fun to watch and see how that would play out.
Speaker 2: What if an Obama loses to Missouri, I think.
Speaker 9: They're out of the playoff probably, I mean, if you're gonna give the best bigger than that, I don't I guess I don't want to react too much. In year one under killing to Bor, I mean, he's got big shoes to fill. That's stating the obvious. But go back to Nick Saban's early time too at Alabama.
Speaker 7: I mean he didn't have it all together in year one either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he was taking over a bad program. Kaylin de Boor's walking into a national championship caliber monster.
Speaker 9: And I think the difference there is like the expectations, right, And so you tell me what's harder. Is it easier to take something that's completely knocked down to rebuild, or is it easier to then take a home that's per scene, that's beautiful, but you want to make some tweaks and changes that are pretty significant to that house. Go as a contract, they'll probably tell you're going to charge you more for that remodel as opposed to just knocking it down and building it up clean. And I think that's kind of the case too sometimes with coaches when they take over a program, Like there was no expectation when Nick Saban first got there. I mean, yes, he had won previously at LSU, so that was the expectation. And obviously, you know, getting to the NFL and coming back to college, but the reality is, you know, the expectation was different. You know now for Alabama, they expect to go win SEC championships and go play for national championships. So it's hard to you know, keep up to that standard while you're still trying to put your fingerprints on how you're going to make it a little bit different or your style, Like you can't ask Kaitlyn to Boord to walk in and be exactly not Saban, Like they know he's not that guy. He's going to be his own guy, is going to lead in his own way. It might take a little bit of time.
Speaker 2: When you look at NIL, we're hearing more coaches. Tony Bennett Virginia decides to retire and Gino Oriema was railing about this. Saban steps out, Jay Wright steps down. We're starting to see like the impact this is going to have on the coaching community. And these are big names who were stepping down. I'm just curious, really what the coaching life span is it is going to be with these guys who are getting into it now. Is it a young man's game, you know, and not necessarily you know, the older school guys who want to put up with this.
Speaker 9: It's a hard question to answer because I think every university, every situation is different. I think those that are more prepared to transition into what the Nile world has brought us, and that's obviously we can call it like it's not pay for play, but it is, and it's more of a professional organization is really what it's evolving into. And I think the universities that have set themselves up to be able to succeed, clearly they.
Speaker 7: Have head coaches that aren't as burdened by all of this.
Speaker 9: I think the universities that struggle to do it when you look at what these head coaches are asked to do. I mean, on top of their own roster evaluation and evaluating high school recruits. Now it's evaluating, you know, potential players who are in the portal or potential players elsewhere who might be in the portal. It's fundraising not just for the university, but now for your nil and your collective. It's all these different hats they have to wear, and it's extremely stressful for these guys. I mean, you look at Chip Kelly for example, not to get away from Tony Bennet and basketball, but he leaves a head coaching job and a Power five school that's moving to the Big Ten to come be an offensive coordinator because he just wants to co coach. That to me was the biggest statement that was made this entire offseason, and I think that's kind of where things are at now. And if you look at Ryan Day and how he's transitioned to this more of CEO as a head coach, I think that's really what the future of college football head coaching is going to look like. It's going to look like a guy who's really overseeing the entire organization and not just one side of the football or overseeing his staff and his players. It's going to have a lot more involvement in the business affairs of what that school, what that team's doing.
Speaker 2: It's kind of quiet with Dion and Colorado, considering how loud it was last year. But they're playing well. Doesn't feel like, you know, all the pregame shows are going to Colorado. You know, celebrities are going. You know. It just kind of like this seems like it's a good thing for Colorado and for Dion is Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 9: But I think there's also still there's still some celebrities going. There's still waves and all that. I mean when they go places like you know, because of I think what they build and because of the reputation. You know, there's a lot more excitement around those games and people want to beat them. Like I think as much as there are CU fans who jumped on the bandwagon are prime fans or Shadure Travis Hunter, there's also those people who probably want to see them lose because of how.
Speaker 7: They do it.
Speaker 9: So, I mean, the attention is still there, I think as far as like the newness of it and the style and everything else. Yeah, that ebbs and flows, and you got to continue to keep following the story of college football. But I think the best thing about what you just said is there's not as much noise, but there's still very much in it. I mean, the Big Twelve is as wide open as any Shador's playing like a guy who might be the first overall pick, and in my opinion, if he wins the Big Twelve and they're playing the College Football Playoff, you know, maybe you're looking at them saying he's got a shot to win the Heisman as well. And Travis Hunter very much as if he continues to play both ways and put up stats, he might too. So I think it actually is a bigger statement the fact that there's still very much in the hunt, and yet you're not hearing as much noise.
Speaker 7: Now it's about the walk. It's not all the talk like some people who said a year.
Speaker 2: Ago, Yeah, it's gonna be interesting. Though, when they lose Travis Hunter and they lose your door, then then we're gonna sit prime gonna have to get out on the road, I think, and do a little more recruiting. When you know you don't have your son there as your quarterback.
Speaker 9: Maybe you know, we don't know that he's got his own tacic on style of doing it, and you know, maybe he feels like that's what's most efficient.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but those are two of the top five to ten players in the draft that he has.
Speaker 9: Right, But are you going to turn down an invitation from Deon Sanders to fly out to Colorado.
Speaker 7: And visit with him?
Speaker 9: Like, are you go to be stubborn about it and say no, no, no, we want him to come to our house. Like, if theoretically we think about it, he can visit with more recruits, more prospects by staying in one place as opposed to traveling everywhere.
Speaker 7: And look, let's just be real.
Speaker 9: There's not many people who can do that, but he can because he is prime.
Speaker 7: Because people are sitting there saying, yeah.
Speaker 9: I'll go take that visit, like I'll go out to the mountains and check that out and go hang out with Deon Sanders out there. So that does play to his advantage, There's no doubt about it, because of his career, in particular the impact that has on the parents.
Speaker 7: I mean, DP think about us.
Speaker 9: I mean I was at this kind of tail end obviously as like a young kid remembering how amazing Dion was no matter where he you know where he was and the two sport athlete he was. But the parents remember more than anything else, like half the time, even if their kid's not interested in the.
Speaker 7: Parents are going like you're going out the border Colorado.
Speaker 2: Could he have talked to you out of going to Notre Dame?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Have you talked to Dion?
Speaker 9: I mean, come on, he's one of the most perspassive people ever. So yeah, I mean he's I think too when you look at and right, wrong or indifferent. I mean the way he's put an offense around that highlight shadere or in particular the quarterback position, that'd be attractive to any quarterback who's looking at trying to make a name for themselves and trying to you know, whether it's win a conference championship, national championship, and trying to win a heisman like that sells that. That works in this world of college foot with all the seven on seven leagues everything else, that sells hard.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you again, have fun this weekend. Thanks Brading, Hey Dan, thanks for having me a part of Meat Fridays. You're welcome. You're welcome to come you got to come to the home office. I mean, I'm dion, you got to come in here if you want to experience meat Friday.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna have some steak tonight though, so hopefully you do it.
Speaker 2: It's not the same. It's it's not the same. It's about teamwork, it's about getting together, it's about liking each other. Something that didn't happen at Notre Dame maybe doesn't happen on Fox. We got to wait. I gotta wait Fox.
Speaker 7: I can attest him. We had last.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So did somebody get after it a little bit?
Speaker 7: I don't know how early, Matt Leonard or marketing. I'll leave it at that.
Speaker 2: Tell Liner And he's not at usc anymore.
Speaker 9: I try to, but you know, he's out there. He's just he's still that West Coast guy trying to catch some waves.
Speaker 7: He's kind of in the South Bay.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 7: He's out there in the South Bay.
Speaker 2: Lad, he's catching waves in Columbus, Ohio.
Speaker 7: Well not here.
Speaker 9: I mean, I'm not here, but he's probably getting right off the plane in like board shorts.
Speaker 7: What has changed? So he's finally adapting to that very well?
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brady, Brady Quinn, Fox Sports Analyst, Big Noon Kickoff, also Two Pros and a Cup of Joe, the show that precedes Hours and Big Noon Kickoff. In Columbus, it'll be Ohio State hosting Nebraska. Their festivities get underway Saturday at ten am Eastern. We'll come back. Best week in sports? Who had it? The most must win game of the weekend, We'll have that. That's all coming up.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio WAP.
Speaker 2: Looking at some of the items sliding into the weekend. Of course, we have Yankees and the Dodgers, so Game one will be coming up tonight. Then Saturday Game two. You have Eagles at the Bengals. Bengals gotta win, must winish. That's a must win game, must WINISH. Cowboys at the Niners. Hmmm, feels must winish for both. Is it must win or somebody's got to win? Hm? Well, I want to see the play calling with the Cowboys. Since Jerry Jones called out Mike McCarthy, Does anything change.
Speaker 8: I thought you're gonna say. Since Jerry Jones took over the place. Well, I honestly thought you were gonna say.
Speaker 2: He probably did. Yes, Yeah, we're running to the left. I mean, what would we be surprised if he somehow was coaching from his suite.
Speaker 8: It would be interesting to know if he's ever called down at halftime with a a football decision, a jet Sweet.
Speaker 2: Tell dak CD backed shoulder fade.
Speaker 6: It would be kind of awesome if you know how they do that the the view sometimes the camera where it's like right in that guy's face, but they're up in the booth and they're watching like the play calls or whatever, and all of a sudden, Jerry's head pokes out from behind somebody.
Speaker 2: NBA Saturday, it'll be uh, Clay Thompson at the Suns, the Maps at the Suns, Rockets, Spurs, Kings and the Lakers and then LSU, Texas A and M. LSU is now six and one. They have not allowed a sack. I think so far, how about that? This one feels like Texas A and M Like this is one of those I don't know you going, Are you trying to get a D bomb in? No? No, I don't do D bomb. We have D bombs, T bomb. No, no, Pauli gives us a p bomb Sliding into the weekend brought to you by Kings Hawaiian. They want you to get together with family and friends, enjoy the weekend. Make every Sunday a slider Sunday. All right, how about best week in sports? Around the room? It can be a person, it can be a team, a city, fan base, it can be anything you want. Todd, who had the best week in sports?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say based on what's upcoming and after what happened last night Los Angeles. The Rams had a nice win over the Vikings, gave you a second straight lost. You got the Dodgers at home, USC at home against Rutgers. It's all about La these next few days.
Speaker 2: Okay, Seaton best week in sports?
Speaker 6: It's kind of obvious, but I think Commissioner Rob Manfred is having a fantastic week. Okay, you know, do the victory lap, do the media be visible. You got Yankees, Dodgers, both coasts involved. Show Hayes back.
Speaker 2: You know, and he came on the show and had a good appearance there as well. Let's go Marvin. Best week in Sports turned in by JJ Reddick.
Speaker 3: He had a really good star he got Bronnie and lebron in and he didn't, you know, hurt the game or anything, hurt the game plan and he didn't have.
Speaker 7: His hands in his pocket the entire game. Wow all a couple of time.
Speaker 2: Outs shot at Darvin Ham Paul best week in sports.
Speaker 8: I gotta go audible, Rob Manfred is a one seed. I'm gonna go recency bias Pat Nardouzi, the head coach of Pitt.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 8: The reason is Pitt football has not been nationally relevant a long time national TV to get a little run last night. They have got some games coming up. They have SMU and Clemson both ranked. They could get in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: They got a lot of work to do.
Speaker 8: But that's a great night for them.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, okay, and you really like their uniforms.
Speaker 7: Oh they're gorgeous.
Speaker 8: Gorge which is most of the reason.
Speaker 7: Uniforms.
Speaker 2: How about the most must win game of the weekend. We're gonna have that coming up. Dylan, the graphics guy part of the Gambling podcast is going to join us. Now. I don't think we have time to get Dylan in here. I don't think we have enough time. Yeah, excellently, I'm gonna need a little bit more time with Dylan with some of his picks. Fritzi, so we'll bring him up in the final art. Jason Garrett from Football Night and America will join us, coming up as well. He has d bombs James in Virginia. Hey James, what's on your mind today?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: Thank you taking my call? Brother? Happy Friday, DP, Dan nets Man, Salute the Commanders man, and dig up to Kelly and Kansas Man. Her strength is empowering brother, and shout out to my ODU monarchs man. They have not given up on the year. Started out oh and three, four and four led by the true freshman quarterback Colton Joseph had over three hundred yards and four touchdowns yesterday at home Man. Just a big win for ODU. Glad to see that they keep on fighting. And one last thing, DP Man, and with the World Series going on, I'm definitely taking the pinstripes. But my question is, man, that you know so Major League Baseball does AL and n L m VPS. It's gonna be Judge and O'tani if you had to pick one, who you're going with, And honestly, Otani is the best player I've ever seen. But I'm still going with the Penn Streichs.
Speaker 2: All right, thank you, James. I would take Otani just because of the uniqueness. You can't go wrong. There's no wrong answer. There two hours in the books on this week Friday. You guys got one more hour left in you come on, come on,