Speaker 1: The volume football seasons here and if you want to go to an NFL or college football game, game Time is the place for you. The Game Time app just gives you the advantage back to you, the fans. It's a hack for unlocking amazing tickets and experiences and a few taps. I love it easy to use. The game Time guarantee means you can trust you'll get one hundred percent authentic tickets on time and at the best price one hundred percent, so they even let you preview your seat on the app. That special plus fees role was included, so what you see is what you pay every time. Take the guests work out of buying professional football tickets with game Time. Just download the game Time app, create an account. If you use the code column coli in twenty bucks off your first purchase terms apply again, create an account. Redeem code co l I in twenty bucks off. Swipe tap ticket go download the game Time app today. This episode is presented by Uber eats. When football makes you hungry, order Uber eats. I do every weekend well. Because games are played on Mondays, a couple of them and Thursdays, you don't always get the greatest Sunday Slate. But some of the games today were fantastic. Tampa Bay thirty eight, walk off field goal to win it over Seattle thirty five. It looked like young Brady and Peyton Manning. I don't remember a game like that. Darnold's always been a little more athletic than Baker had a couple of all timers. Baker just kept They couldn't stop him. You know, Seattle's defense has really shut down a lot of good offenses in the last couple of years, especially at the end of last year. Baker had no problem with it. Ibuka had no problem with it. I guess my takeaway from this game was if these two met in the NFC Championship, I wouldn't be shocked. I mean, it's an offensive league. I would not be shocked. I don't think tonight was a mirage. I think those are really good quarterback and really good teams full of excellent young players. And by the way, John John Middlicoff two of the best gms. These rosters have dudes everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I totally agree. I mean, at one point in time, Colin it was twenty one to twenty one. They were thirty nine of forty five for four hundred and fifty yards and three touchdowns like this is. But it just kept going on. I mean they made play after play outside the construct of the play, right, both of them scrambling around. We know, Darnold, I mean, Baker now is a mobile, you know, behind the line of scrimmage. Keep that. They were fantastic. That was as entertaining of a game watching these two guys that have clearly resurrected their career now for a couple of years. That was awesome. I mean that those guys, I know, Sam, you know, the lasting image will be a him throwing the interception. But that was on Todd Bowles called an incredible blitz. You saw in the slow motion replay. It wasn't a bad pass. He got hit and the ball went in the wrong direction. Both those guys could miss. They felt like, you know Steph Curry when every time he shot, you just think the ball is gonna hit nothing but net with both quarterbacks, Abuka, I mean that draft pick one thing I was taught a long time ago is at the time they drafted him, you're like, well, they got Mike Evans and Chris Godwin's coming back. They got hot, and they got multiple running backs. Why do they need a weapon? Because a position of strength can become a position of weakness with an injury or two. Look at the Chargers best offensive line in the league. Now you're looking like, who are these guys playing tackle for him? Injuries happened. I mean this guy, I don't want to say saving their season, but you know, Godwin's been out and then he comes back, and then Evans gets hurt, and this guy. Find me a better rookie right now in the NFL than a Mecca. He's been col.
Speaker 1: Remember a couple of years ago, of course you do. Atlanta drafted Robinson and Jon Robinson the running back. Yeah, and I had a GM say he's a Danny and Tomlinson. There's no flaw, good teammate, good blocker, everything. Ibuka because he wasn't like a four to three guy doesn't go in the top you know, seven or eight. But I had an executive in the league say he's a flawless receiver, routes, teammate, toughness, catch hands. He's like, there's just no flaw. But he'll drop because he's not huge and he's not you know, he doesn't have a unicorn body type, and he's not a complete burner. He is just a great football player. I mean he is open, he doesn't drop it, he runs great, He runs ten year veteran routes. And Seattle's secondary is good. Scale's defense is good, and they torched it today.
Speaker 2: I would say the same thing about JSN also happened to be an Ohio State guy. I mean, I look at the numbers right now. They combined for fifteen catches, almost three hundred yards and multiple touchdowns. But both those guys are good examples, right, Neither of them would go in the top ten because they're not quite big enough. They're more slot receivers. Like no, they can do everything. They can play inside, they can play outside. You know what they do. They get open every single play. Elite players, elite character guys like you said, elite teammates, and sometimes that wide receiver. Right, and you've been on this for decades, the little diva ish. These guys a rare breeds. I mean, these guys are wired like quarterbacks or safeties or John.
Speaker 1: I think a lot of it John is because when you are as big as DK Metcalf, he was that big in the seventh grade he was the biggest, strongest kid, and everybody was in. All of them were a Jackson Smith and Jigbit make a Buka. They weren't the biggest kids, they weren't the fastest kids. They got there because they had a lot of talent and they worked their ass off to become great receivers. And I think something Mike Evans is the rare big, strong guy, but super humble, hard working Keenan Allen. But Keenan's not a burner either. A lot of times, the Antonio Browns, the DK Metcalfe, the guys that just are have been gifted. The fastest kid in every class, Tyreek Hill with probably the fastest kid in the fourth grade, fifth grade, sixth grade, and you know, things come easy for you. So a lot of these great receivers, like Larry Fitzgerald, you can just see the work ethic, you know, like Puka Nakua, fifth round, Guy amor On Saint Brown. Look at the best receivers right now in the league, pukah amor On Saint Brown, these two rookies. It's a lot of guys that are talented, but there you'd view them as classic overachievers. None of them are burners. None of them outside Mike Evans. You know, don't walk into a room and inspire awe. They're just dudes who got some genetic gifts, work super hard, and it's just you know, it's just like you go find a great attorney. He had smart parents, you know, he didn't have dummies as parents. But the truth is he put the effort in. Because there's a million attorneys, right you got to fight through it. So I just watched JSN and Abuka and I just look at to me, you really have to be careful when drafting wide receivers. I mean, I saw another running back drop the ball at the goal line today Arizona Tennessee. Like you watch Arizona Tennessee today, there's talent on the field, but just not just airs and Fumbleser Murray at one point left the game, I'm not even sure he got hit like Moods. And I just watched Tampa and I watched Seattle, and I see great gms and a lot of good character guys and a lot of tough guys and a lot of redemption stories. That was so much fun.
Speaker 2: I also think it's if you're a defensive coach out there like an assistant or a coordinator. It shows you obviously these offensive coordinators have taken over the league, and rightfully so. The quarterback's really important. But Todd Bowles is an old school like a safety from the eighties, right who has become you know, he was Bruce Arians right hand man for a long time. He got some experience with the Jets, like he's a really good coach, and he's an excellent defensive coordinator. I've been saying for years Mike McDonald is basically Kyle or Sean. He just happens to call defense. If he was an offensive coordinator, we would speak about him no differently than we do Kevin O'Connell. But he's the defensive guy. And you saw today those guys have empowered their quarterback there. I mean, Todd's probably one of the great blitz callers in league history. You know, Spags has turned into one Jim Johnson forever. It's a skill and that call that won them the game, because that was a game and even for a split second when they had tied the game, I went, Todd's gonna allow them to go for two. When it turned out it was just Baker holding it up. Hoping they would give I think Todd Gold, you know, the field goal kicker on. But that's another thing. I mean in a day and age, when these field goals are kind of getting blocked. Their field goal kicker in Tampa, I don't know if the guy's missed. I mean, he's got game winner after game winner pretty nails. Also when the guy hit the ground on essentially the game winning run, probably could have got a couple more yards. But you talk about coaching, clearly told him in the huddle if you break this, it's an outbreaking run. If you get near the sideline, whether it's a first down or not, get to the ground right. We have seen in college and the pro sometimes guys like they have a you know, brain fart. They go out about they save the team a time out. It's just just a high level operation. I'm with you that game. I think Seattle's going nowhere. I mean, the forty nine ers are four and one, but half their teams on injured reserve. Tampa, I mean it's Tampa forty nine er game next week. You know Tampa now has to fly. I mean, what time are they going to get out of their seven o'clock Pacific standard time. They won't get home till the middle of the night. The forty nine ers have this long break, they're missing a ton of players. That's that's a huge win for them, though, I mean that's a mass go on the road to Seattle and forty one.
Speaker 1: Todd Bowles struggled with the Jets. Darnold disaster with the Jets, Davante Adams disaster with the Jets. Aaron Rodgers much better version of Aaron Rodgers. It's a cesspool. And we'll get into the Jets lost today, which may have been like rich co tight level bad think about people aren't only leaving the Jets and winning, they're flourishing. They lead their division, their MVP candidates. That is a bad organization. I remember when Todd Bowles was with the Jets, you know, and people would was rip him. He was a little like Carl Durell UCLA. The first year. He didn't even know. He didn't have much of a persona on the sideline. He got lost within the sideline. You couldn't find him. But Todd was always so smart and so thoughtful, and he was just one of those guys like he didn't want you know, he was the opposite of Rex Ryan, like he didn't want any attention. But over the course of your life, if you do good work and you just keep your head down, a lot of people get fired. It doesn't mean anything. You'll be rewarded. Todd Bowles was too good not to succeed in this league.
Speaker 2: Toty with Sam and look at you know, I think you brought up the two gms. You know, Mike's going to have a long career. Came from the Ravens. But Todd, imagine if you would have got a second opportunity with the Carolina Panthers or some of these franchises. He got Jason Light who anyone in the league will tell you is easily one of the best gms. Just a high level, humble guy who's seen it all, worked for everyone that mattered in the league over the last twenty years. And their team like, they have had so many injuries and you watched them play, I mean offensively, they're missing their starting running back and their Hall of Fame wide receiver. And how many points did they just I mean they scored thirty eight points. That's on the road against Seattle to set.
Speaker 1: Wow, what in Seattle is a Sam Donald fumble and a Sam Donald pick, and both times he like either bumped into a teammate or had somebody bump into him or Seattle could be an undefeated team. So this game is Seattle's a really good team. They're the second youngest offense in the league. So if you're a Seahawks fan, you got some good years ahead.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's it's also I don't know. I mean, I wouldn't worry about drafting a quarterback if I'm Seattle. I think they found I mean, Donald's still young, He's still totally when he when he was drafted by the Jets, he was twenty one, I think he's twenty seven or twenty eight. Now you have four more five more peak years.
Speaker 2: Yeah to me, I mean, I'm sure we'll talk about Collin. You look around the landscape of college football doesn't look like a lot of Joe Burrows coming into the league here. I would say this, though, sometimes there's a win win fit matters, Like I'm way better off as a podcaster than I was local radio, and we had ties to the team. It's not Kubiak, Like they hire Kubiak and they get rid of Ryan Grubb. Well Tys Simpson and Alabama are rolling right, and Ryan Grubb much better fit for college, and they get Kubiak, who's more of a run heavy great for Sam, and it's just worked out for both parties, right. Kubiak last year fired as well. Sometimes in football you just get with the right person. Sam. Now, look at Sam. Now we talk about the Jets for three straight years. Kyle, Kyle embracism, prety embracism changes the way we talk about him. Then he gets his opportunity with Kevin. Now he's in Seattle, I mean, just flourishing. Same thing with Baker Mayfield. He goes to Tampa, gets around Jason Light, gets around to Mike Evans, and just a more low key environment. I've been there. I've never lived there like you, but it's just an easier place to just kind of ease into things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Baker, the media and Tampa is more supportive. Baker's one of those guys that sometimes if he feels like he has to overcome the GM and the coach, that he tries too hard. He's very composed. Now, he's got a support system, He's happily married. Baker has nothing to prove. Everybody knows he's good. He's playing with a very controlled chip on his shoulder, but it's a good chip on his shoulder. I agree. It's it's like he doesn't have to prove anything. Everybody loves him in Tampa and in Cleveland, he and Hugh Jackson battled, and then Freddy Kitchens and then the GM and and then the media was on his ass because the Cleveland media is, you know, it's it's it's bitter, it's it's I don't blame him. Tampa's got trophies. They don't, so I think it's and people, I know they find this hard to believe, but I root for young people to succeed. One of my favorite part of the volume is watching young people at my age. You're young. I think it's great for Baker. It makes me very happy that he's kicking butt. That was this week's Sunday Night Foodball, brought to you by Uber Eats. When football makes you hungry, get game day deals on Uber Eats. I do every week, the official on demand delivery partner of the NFL.
Speaker 2: Order.
Speaker 1: Now I just did, Okay, another game, so I had picked the Broncos on my Blazing five. I think it went two and three. Today. By the way, I had the over on Arizona, Tennessee. It should have gone over in the second quarter. Those teams are horrific. I took the Broncos to beat Philadelphia. They did twenty one seventeen. It was like two games. For the record, all Philadelphia games are two games. Yeah, just pick your half. So Philadelphia led seventeen to three. Bo Nix was stemied by Vic Fangio. But again, these are long games, and you know, Philadelphia runs into these walls where they're just a punt factory, and they you know, they're they're very dependent on a big play over the top. Saque's numbers have been reduced significantly, So you'll get your chance to beat Philadelphia because they'll go into a they'll go into a punt, punt, punt situation. Sure enough, we get to the fourth quarter, playing from behind and Sean Payton's play calling. Bo Nicks hit on a couple of big throws. They have some crevices in the run game, and they come back to win a game. So let's start with Philadelphia. I mean, John, they are incapable of playing a full solid game of offense. They're either really impressive or awful. There's no in between. To me, it's got to be a coordinator. It's not personnel. The old line is regressed badly. These guys are all in their prime except Lane Johnson, who's older. They're all in their prime. To me, there's a coordinator issue.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought Romo and Nance especially Tony mentioned it a couple of times, like Sirianne's not the one underheat around here. It's this Kevin Patula that's his buddy for about fifteen years. But they finally through the first what sixty seventy percent of this game, they were feeding DeVante Smith, They hit AJ Brown, They had an opportunity for a nail in the coffin moment in this game, it was seventeen to three. They clearly had schemed up this play to AJ Brown and he's wide open, and Jalen had hit a couple deep bombs throughout the game, so when he let it rip, you went, well, this thing, because he's a good when his deep ball's working, it looks great ballgame. And it flew right over his head and then they had to punt, and then it kind of flipped from there because twenty four to three, the game is over because, like you said, bo Nicks was horrendous. I mean I asked someone that I bet on the Broncos to win the division, had high hopes for them. Like a lot of people, I bought into everything. Sean Payton was saying, and you're watching him, he's missing these deep balls. They have big play schemes and he missed them. And then I don't know if maybe he just kind of took a deep breath, but then he hit a couple of plays to sudden, hits the back shoulder throws and obviously you know the game winning drive he hit sudden over the middle on a big third down. He used his feet a couple times, and Tony kept saying, it's almost like, you know, if you're missing jump shots, get to the line, get fouled. You're a really good athlete. I think Fangio had said during the week, like kind of reminds me of Baker Mayfield, and Tony's like he's a way better athlete than Baker Mayfield. Like he can really run, and it's like just run a little bit. But I think he wants to prove that he can throw. But his arm in terms of accuracy has just kind of been off and then he just got into a rhythm, and obviously then Philly just hit the skids and you could tell, you could feel it on television. I've watched a lot of games there live. It got tight, and the whole building kind of went silent because they've seen this song and dance, and like you said, they can go through a quarter where they're clearly one of the most talented teams in the league, where they look horrendous and you're just you know, in Fangio's defense, you can't, you know, in this day and age, with the rules, it's hard to have just sixty minutes of playing like. It doesn't work that way.
Speaker 1: No, and they weren't very good again when you get him into a third and four or a third and five and they can't do the Toush push. They weren't very good on third down one day.
Speaker 2: We even see the Toush push today. I don't know if we did. I don't definitely they.
Speaker 1: Were third down forty five yards rushing, huge time of possession. I mean, it felt like in the fourth quarter Denver had the ball the entire fourth quarter, And I wrote that down thirty to twenty two minute time disadvantage. But in the fourth quarter Boonix had two drives for touchdowns fifteen points and five and a half minutes. Oh that was a big sideline throw to Courtland Sutton. Then there was that Zach Bond late hit that kind of sealed it. I mean, at some point Philadelphia that last drive John they were reduced to begging for PI calls on the hail Mary and the ball down to the two yard line. So you can kind of tell from their body language they know they're struggling there, and you know, it's just like anything else in life. I don't care if it's a relationship or a football game or an offense. It gets into your head and then you start doubting your play calling and then you start forcing the ball to certain players. Like but I go back to Sirianni's not a scheme guy. He's more in the Dan Campbell culture builder, alpha male, and so he's very dependent on who his OC is. Remember when he first got to Philly, as you know, he called plays it was a disaster, hands it off to Stikeen heater Steike and leaves Brian Johnson. Disaster that he brings in Kellen Moore. They right the ship. Kellen exits, now you got the new guy. So he's very Andy Reids, not Shanahan's not, although Shanahan's defense has been very dependent on the right coordinator. Saula now is dealing with kids and Fred Warner's outstanding. So I just look at Philly and to me, it's It's one thing. You could argue that Saquon Barkley's got fatigue from all the carries, but when an offensive line regresses like it has, to me, that's coordinator.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean they've had injury too. I mean Dickerson got hurt today. I just think Jalen is, I think, clearly establishing himself as a pretty streaky player. Right. He just happened to have two of the great games and Super Bowls, one of them he won. He could have easily. He could easily be two and zero against Patrick Mahomes and Andy Reid, and he's played fantastic in him but like through the course of a season, he's just a very you don't know what you're getting series this series, and that's where it's like, is there a huge drop off between Kellen Moore and this guy? Hard to tell, but like Kellen had been an offensive coordinator for a long time and coached from Dak to Herbert, Like it just had way more. This guy never called plays in the NFL. He'd been a lifetime position coach, even if he'd been around the Eagles the whole time and been on the staff. There's a big difference than given suggestions and making the decisions right. I mean, that's why did the Eagles feel pretty good about their defense. I don't know. They have a Hall of Fame defensive coordinator who's been's sixty five years old and been doing it for decades. So I also think they got an elephant in the room. Last year, Brandingham kind of let the cat out of the back and he tried to walk it back. But how often do you see a guy he's thirty five years old, Brandon Graham's got multiple kids, Like, this guy isn't just an immature young guy saying something stupid. He knew what he was saying because it was the truth. He tried to walk it back. This year's gotten weird. They clearly tried to force feed them the ball, which I have I'd forced feed him the ball too, but like it's not in the like you watch the Vikings with Justin Jefferson. He's just their best player and they just give him the ball a lot because he's a great player. Jamar Chase the AJ Brown thing kind of feel it's weird because they got all these other options, but they know that he can be obviously a little fickle with his emotions, you know, and it's it's hard for him to hold him in because at this point in time, he's on like his fourth contract, so he's made an ungodly amount of money. He's a super Bowl champ, he's an All proic, He's he's checked all the rest. Now, it was just like he just wants the ball. He's just a he's just an emotional receiver.
Speaker 1: Feels like, remember Brandon Graham came back.
Speaker 2: They don't they don't like each other. Essentially, their relationship is fractured Jalen and AJ Brown because part of it, part of when they traded it for him, is like these guys are really good buddies. They've known each other and then something happened and it was like, well, it's life. You get as you grow up, maybe your relationships aren't as tight and you just deal with it. And they win the Super Bowl whatever. But then this year it feels like immediately it gets a little weird and aj brings it back to the surface, can't even hide it. And you know, part of it is Jalen, which is a good quality. He's like unemotional even today, like with the no time left on that final drive. It's just this guy's unfazed. I mean sometimes I wish I had like his emotional stability. I mean I get angry just podcasting. He's just he's just a flatliner. And I wonder sometimes in football, like some of our best quarterbacks can be a little emotional and Jalen just has none. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, I mean I was told this by somebody who would know that's very connected to that locker room, and they said Jalen's not the most pop. Eagle players love emotional guys. I mean, I remember years ago, half the league thought Westbrook was better than Steph Curry. Steph Curry's married, he's quiet, he's not cool. You know, his shoe looks like something a pharmacist would wear. Westbrook's cool, he's athletic, he's got the music, he's got the game. And Jalen's one of those guys. He's got an all female like management team. He's not you know, he's not going to hire one of your buddies. He's not. He's not one of the guys. It's like the old Joe DiMaggio with the Yankees. It was like Joe DiMaggio just wasn't one of the guys. He was brilliant. Not everybody wants to go out and hit it and be wild every night, like they just Jalen's very reserved, very mature, very focused, and he has a life beyond football. And I and I and I love guys like that. But and AJ, you know, I get it. When you got a trophy and you got the bag, you're looking for legacy. He wants to be a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 2: So I kind of defended that, you know, and part of being an all time great quarterback because Jalen has the opportunity. He's already been to a couple of Super Bowls, he's won one, like he's going to be a starter for a long time. Is like, by the end of Peyton and especially Tom, how could they relate to anybody? Yet you never have met anyone that has been in the locker room with Tom over the course of like the last decade of his career. It wasn't like, yeah, he was the easiest guy to deal with. He was great anything I needed, he was always he could bow. He wasn't going out and drinking beers with him anymore or hanging, but he knew exactly how to be a I've heard the same thing about Peyton Manning or Philip River is a good example. Has had like seven kids with three years to go in his career. I know multiple people that played with him that said I would have run through a wall for his family, let alone the guy, like there is a skill to be able to and listen. When you get top by Saban like that doesn't really matter. You just kind of do what he says. Then you get to the NFL and maybe it's just an attribute that Jalen's really gonna have to focus on just moving forward because it's clearly not his personet, which listen, our personality is our personality. But at that position, especially if you're not gonna be like Patrick Mahomes, how does Patrick Mahomes relate to an undrafted free agent rookie. He can't anymore. He's worth five hundred million dollars, But ask anyone with the Chiefs. He does right, Yeah, and Josh Allen, Now at this point, Mary to some haulay like that. You have to do that, Lamar Jackson. I've known people that have coached here that just said, people love this guy in the locker room. Yeah, he's not hanging out with them all. So it is the onus is on the player at that position. You've said this forever, not about any other positions. You can act like however you want as a corner wide receiver, not a quarterback. So sometimes you got to go above and beyond and just kind of almost fake it, you know, to be friends with a guy.
Speaker 1: And Jalen's pretty stoic, you know how. That's his personality. Today's show is brought to you by our new presenting sponsor, hard Rock Bet. They're a great partner. October Baseball is here, baby. The pressures higher, the moments are bigger. One swing can change everything. Hard Rock Bet lets you get in on every pitch. So if you're a new customer, you place a five dollar bet. If it hits, a five dollar bet hits, you not only get your winnings, but also one hundred and fifty bucks in extra bonus bets plus every day this week on hard Rock Bet, you can get a profit boost for a playoff baseball parlay. There are new promos every day boost your same game parlay or your SGP max so your bet pays extra winnings. So if you want to see what everybody else is betting on tonight, who's going to homer top picks or parlays across any sport? The hard rock Bet app literally shows you easy cool. Download the hard rock Bet app takes you ninety seconds. Tap discover and you can see trending picks and parlays at any time. Download the hard rock Bet app. Make your first deposit. Have fun payable in bonus bets, not a cash offer offered by the Seminole Tribe of Florida in Florida, offered by seminoal hard Rock Digital LLC. In Alder States. Must be twenty one plus and physically president in Arizona, Colorado, Florida, Illinois and DM New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, or Virginia to play. Terms and conditions apply. Concerned about gambling in Florida, call one eighty and eight Admit it in Indiana if you are somebody you know has a problem wants help call one eight hundred and nine with it gambling problem called one eight hundred gambler Arizona, Colorado, Illinois, New Jersey, Ohio, Tennessee, Virginia. I'm reticent to talk about the Jets, but Dallas beats the Jets thirty seven to twenty two. I always judged I.
Speaker 2: Don't think it was that close either. When when I turned the game it.
Speaker 1: Felt like forty seven to three. It was awful. I mean, it was twenty three to three at half and it wasn't that close. No, So the best drive of the day for the Jets, I think was the first one where they settled for a field goal. It was eleven plays. You know, my takeaway is always been when a coach is hired, what's his side of the ball. Like their defense is bad and it's gotten worse every week. It feels like, I mean, the second half was a seven on seven drill. It looks like one of those seven on seven college drills where you take a really good quarterback you know, in high school or college and he just boom, boom boom. Dak was terrific. Dak's having his best year as a pro because he's having to carry a team. And this isn't the zeke top o line in the league, Amari Cooper, That's not what this is without Ceedee Lamb John I'm not sure they have a definitive number two. Their tight ends probably a two to a three on most teams. The running backs are absolutely two's. The O line is still in a semi rebuild. Tighter Smith's great, but this is not. This is not an elite head coach, It's not an elite O line, it's not an elite roster. I've I've been blown away by Dak. I've never thought this highly of Dak. I think again, like Jalen Hurts, mature, head down, not highly emotional, an adult. Do I want to pay him? When I'm paying him? You know what? Right now, Dak's worth his contract, He's worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, could be the MVP, you know. I think what really puts the Jets into perspective is probably no one had a bigger question mark next to their name as a coach than Brian Schottenheimer. And you just said how you're defined as a coach, especially on a team that's not great. What does your side of the ball look like? Well, he's the offensive play caller. And they've been awesome all year awesome, and now they've lost one of the highest paid and best wide receivers in the league for several games. And like you said, George Pickens is a two, and you know, Ferguson solid. I mean, this isn't Michael Irvin and Emma Smith walking through the door. And the offensive line is definitely a question mark. And the offense like it's listen, Brian Schottenheimer's kind of throwing it back to back in the day when he was declining head coaching interviews, like pretty good offensive coordinator. I kind of know what I'm doing, and I've been blown away. I mean their team they got very you know, the Packers got very lucky a week ago that that ball didn't bounce in the air and said to hit the ground. Or the Cowboys would be what three and one right now? Or I mean they I guess they are two and two. They would be they'd be three and two, like they would be just good, Like there's be no disputing, Like they're just a solid, like they could could they win nine games?
Speaker 1: And also the weather in the Northeast and the north is beautiful. I was in Chicago over the week as Chicago was like eighty degrees. So it's a good time to have a good quarterback in this league because you're not dealing. You know, we're about four or five weeks out from me getting ugly. Dallas is built for good weather, they're built for domes. They don't have a number one receiver without CD, but they've got enough guys. You know, It's funny. I was watching Justin Fields. He's never seen the field particularly well, and they don't This coaching staff hasn't figured out that. Listen, just use his legs, just run him. Seven step drops don't work with him, I mean multiple and the Jets pass pro is awful. They can't pass protect at all. It's gotten worse again. The Jets are getting worse every week. I was reading a couple of the Jets beach reporters and they're like, okay, I've covered three hundred games. This is rich co type. I mean, this is how bad this team is. And we're at week five. I mean it's not like they're you know, everybody beat up, but Justin Fields has had three defensive head coaches and he's just not good enough. You know, if you give him McVeigh. Maybe he would have gotten a second decent contract, but he's just you know, he's the classic athlete, not a quarterback. So but the fact that he was with Pittsburgh who couldn't run the ball, struggled with their offensive line. But last year I think he was was he four and two or he had a pretty good record early and you looked at Justin and you're like, oh, he could get in her contract. Pittsburgh got rid of him. Pittsburgh went with old Aaron Rodgers. Because if you go back and if you remember Justin's numbers in Pittsburgh, Mike Tomlin replaced him with Russell Wilson. We were all like, Justin actually extrapolate those numbers out, he'd be like a you know, nine to ten win quarterback. Well, Pittsburgh move off that moves off him. It shows you the difference between a Steeler team last year that struggled offensively and how how bad the coaching and the infrastructure is of the Jets. Because Fields looks completely over his skis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I get that. Maybe they were bidding against some other I thought, giving him two years and forty million dollars and thirty guaranteed based on his history was pretty insane. Like to me, he felt like a one year, seven million dollar quarterback just to kind of get you through your year one As a coach, I do believe though they came in like I understood extending Garrett Wilson. Garret Wilson's starter on any team. You know, we've seen good wide receivers on shitty teams. It's hard to play when no one gets you. The quarterback has or gets you. Quarterback gets you the ball. Sauce Gardner, if you just ask people around the league or just watch football, to me, is living off a reputation from several years ago. And as a wise man told me in the league, said, you know what changed last year? John Why had such a bad season. They started not allowing him to just commit pass interference every play. He is not Deon Sanders or Revus in terms of a foot athlete. He is a long corner like Richard Sherman. Well, Richard Sherman is a physical player, like a linebacker, the great hitting and tackling corners in league history. Sauce doesn't want to tackle and has elite ball skills. Sauce does not either. They gave him one hundred million dollars column. They had never even coached them, so they came in, they had some sexy names, and now you're kind of stuck with a guy like that. Not making any places does nothing for your team. It's not like he's a winning player. And there's no court like, there's not a savior coming in this draft. It looks like you're an unwatchable team like that. That's when the Saints, they've been bad. I've watched the Saints three or four times. They're actually kind of entertaining Rasler.
Speaker 1: It's kind of getting there.
Speaker 2: Kellen Moore can call some plays. You're like, okay, listen, we're not that talented. At least our head coach brings some to the table. Aaron Glenn, I have a lot of respect for what he did last year with the Lions. I would say this about the Jets, and I'd even throw the Raiders in there with my guy Spy Tech and Pete Carroll. There are a couple franchises that are just hard to overcome that they've been taking down everyone for a long time now. And maybe these guys, you know, Brady and kind of that crew in Vegas. It is not an overnight fix, and there is an ethos. And just like a culture that is permeated through the building and the walls and the Jets and the Raiders, it's hard to shake because guys leave you they excel. You bring guys in, they get worse. You bring incredible coaches or young energy, it still looks the same. And I'm watching the Jets and the Raiders and I just go, God, these teams are just They're terrible. I mean, they feel like they have no hope. The rosters are bad. Yeah, I just the Cowboys. I mean when Dak Prescott's looking like Tom Radio paidon Manning in his prime against you with no CD lamb, I mean, that's this is a pretty low point. I mean, and the Giants now feels like they're not very good again. You know, Dark gave them a little hope. It's like, God, the New York teams and the Yankees are getting killed. This is you better hope. Mike Brown coach up the Knicks. You know.
Speaker 1: It's interesting the one franchise in New York that isn't impatient, that doesn't blow it up is the It's also easily the most successful franchise and all they get is heat from their fans. And you know, Cash Ben's been there thirty years, you know, I think eight years for Aaron Boone. But their take is, you know, the upstairs sets the lineup. It's analytics. The Yankees don't make moves. They're patient to a fault. The truth is, if Garrett Cole was healthy, they didn't have a chance to get, you know, to the America League Championship Series. They just I'm not sure they have the pitching. They've gotten boxed and back to back games by Toronto. Yeah, so you know, New York is its own animal. And now for our next segment, Whiskey Business. Yes, Whiskey Business, brought to you by Green River Whiskey, the official whiskey of the Colin Coward Podcast. I want to talk about the Colts beat the Raiders. This was my favorite pick of the week. Got this one forty to six. Coltspeed the Raiders. I will die on this hill. I think the Colts have a top six roster in the league. I love their offensive line. I think they have stars. I don't care if it's Pittman, Warren, Jonathan Taylor's outstanding. He just doesn't He's not a you know Saquon Barkley is. You know, you get these running backs who stylistically they pop. And Jonathan Taylor was always just a speed guy out of college. He wasn't shifty. He was like, uh oh, like track guy. Just oh behind that offensive line. I swear to God, John like, it's just he three yards before he gets touched. I don't know what Pete Carroll's fascination. That's nine picks and six games for Gino in his last six games. I think it's something like that. Six touchdowns and nine picks this year. Six touchdowns, nine picks for Gino. That is the Geno comeback Story's over. It's the opposite of what Pete Carroll likes. He is so much about clean football. Run, run the game, run the ball. I think the Raiders are just a big work in progress. When Colton Miller gets hurt o line, it's just one of the worst five in the league. But you look at the Colts, I mean, the Chiefs will probably beat the Jags tomorrow. I don't know. I look at the Colts like I look at Tampa. Now, Baker's better than Daniel Jones, But coaches who some people started doubting, you know, like stiking with Anthony Richardson. Oh Stikins lost his magic. But that Tampa roster when healthy, that Colts roster. I know they're a middle of the country, flyover country. I think the cults are good. I really do.
Speaker 2: DJ had to pass a touchdown where he rolled out and everyone's gonna be it's the Raiders. It's not about the opponent. Where he was just on the move guy in the back of the end zone. He split it through a defender. You know, I've always compared him to Alex Smith. He's got a better arm than Alex Smith, no question. His arm actually is better than I thought. And sometimes it just takes you with a credible offense to really get to see that arm talent. It's pretty You watch Baker and Samuel like these guys can sling it. You're watching Daniel Jones in twenty twenty five, I would have said forever he's got an average to below average arm, Like his arm is more than strong enough. Not Josh Allen, but it's he's even that thing in there. And I'm a big guy to me. The Warren pick looks fantastic. He has been easily one of the best rookies in the league. I mean, obviously the Raiders are bad, but I would say the Colts. John, I think the Colts can win a playoff game. I mean, I think the Colts can be a factor in the AFC, especially now it's definitely opening more up right.
Speaker 1: They are the most efficient offense in the league. They went eight for ten on third down, so they become an incredibly efficient offense. John, they had the ball only twenty six minutes. They scored forty points. No offense in this league is more efficient. I know going into the Rams game, Daniel Jones is twenty to twenty nine. So it's like we look at Baker and Sam.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's really.
Speaker 1: The store this year is the story of redemption. I mean, Baker leads his division, Sam's great, Daniel Jones, it's.
Speaker 2: I do wonder if you got Shane Stike in over Cocktails and Ballard, if they knew, like when they truly was it a week into training camp? It's not even this isn't even a close competition. Did they know before training camp? Just based on they did?
Speaker 1: I think they did. I had listen. I was talking to Steve Kayen about a year ago and we were out and I said, what do you make Anthony Richardson And Steve Steve said, man, Colin, he said, you got to be able to hit those layups in the flat and he said, you know, I looked at some of the film and he's like, you know, if anybody can do it, Shane Steiken can fix it. But kyme and I were talking about it, and he just said, you know, if you have to work on that stuff, if you're spending a lot of practice time on that stuff, it's really hard. And because you know generally with with with Baker, you're you're dealing with high end stuff. Baker solved all that stuff with Baker's it can be concepts and defense. You're not worried about the layup stuff. So and then I talked to somebody else, a GM, an active GM in the league, and he echoed what Steve Kaiman told me. It's just like, Gosh, if you're struggling with the underneath stuff. You know, you're spending a lot of time on that. You have to spend so much time on that to get that right, but then you're not really that's elementary stuff in the league. You're not dealing with the second and third and fourth level stuff. You also can't call a game that you want to call in the NFL. I remember I got off the phone with this GM in the league and my take was, well, God, if if I don't trust a guy to throw a downfield, I can't call the same game. I just eliminated thirty five percent of the playbook. So I think with Daniel Jones, you can use the whole playbook. That's the difference.
Speaker 2: Isn't it crazy? You know, the redemption season, even watching Carson Wentz with Kevin O'Connell, it's like he actually doesn't look that terrible, you know. I mean it's like this the power of some of these offensive coordinators. That also, because what are usually offensive coordinators are head coaches have pretty good skill guys around them, Right, Kevin O'Connell, they got a pretty loaded roster, you know, Shane Sich. They've invested some picks and some money into the offensive skill guys. Right, you play for Shanahan, you play for McVeigh, you play for lafleor Like they emphasize that side of the ball in terms of people, you know, the wide receivers, the running backs, the tight ends, these guys look a lot better than some of the franchise that failed them. I mean, you go back to the Giants, I mean, Daniel Jones was horrendous. I get asked a lot like, is this gonna if Daniel Jones? I mean, is in the MVP conversation this team wins thirteen or fourteen games? Clear the Giants aren't. Were they gonna win five games? And listen, it was time for a breakup. I didn't blame them, it was not working. But this is one of those things like, oh, ultimately Saquon Barkley is much better with the great offensive line. But if I'm you know, the Giants ownership, I paid my head coach, who's the play caller. I know he's kind of bounced around being the play caller, but he's an offensive guy to fix that position. And this guy we had this guy. Hell, we paid this guy and then he goes to another offensive coordinator as the head coach and looks like Sam Darnolds with Baker May.
Speaker 1: How's that possible?
Speaker 2: You know? How can that happen? This guy is going to get I mean, change Psyching and Chris Ballard are going to get contract extensions. I would imagine before the playoffs start, it's going that well, well, so.
Speaker 1: The airth thing is and we have you know, it's the elephant in the room. There's been multiple reports that have surfaced the last couple of years Chris Ballard in the front office, Jim Orsay had relapsed into some really problematic behavior and this stuff. You know, I think Chris Ballard will never will never ever say it, maybe to his wife. There was I think it was exhausting and energy sapping for the entire organization to deal with an owner who was beloved in the community but was going through some really tumultuous personal times and so and I said this at the time when he passed away. Two things can be true. You can love somebody and be broken hearted, but you also think to yourself, it'll be a less chaotic organization upstairs. And I think Balller's really good. I think Stiking's really good. I mean the last several years, go look at the last two or three drafts, they've had great players in the first round fall to them. Like remember the draft where everybody, I think Baller got the first defensive player taken in the draft, the UCLA edge, who was the best pass rusher in the league fell to him at like fifteenth and he was laughing about it. They had a camera on him.
Speaker 2: He's like, we just got the best pass rush. We didn't even move up.
Speaker 1: And then Warren, you know, is available. So I think my take is problems Earla's upstairs number. When the Athletic the subscription service about two weeks ago, I talked about it on my show. They had the best ten front offices in the league based on GMS and coaches, and it might as well have been the top ten teams in the league. Is this college football? This is why Belichick struggling. College football is about talent recruiting. If you can recruit, you can hide a lot of problems. The NFL is about upstairs and a great scheming coach. Saula is a very good schemer. Suddenly Fred Warner and a bunch of dudes look great and I and so I think if you have Ballered upstairs and Shane Steike and scheming and the coach and the quarterback is capable, you're gonna win the AFC South. It's not a very good division.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also think you know everyone and in the NFL goes through adversity, you get an injury, you know, something happens. Help coaches I've saw get you know, get sick, get cancer. Who knows all sorts of crazy stuff happens. I would say Andrew Luck randomly retiring when no one saw coming is one of the most traumatic events. Just like in life, there are certain things that are that are easier to come back from that. That event had ripple effects on the franchise for a long long time, and most teams could not have overcome that. And they've tried. They actually kind of they have not been embarrassing, but they finally found like they been ban dating it Philip Rivers to Matt Ryan, and they finally found a younger player. You know the thing with Philip Rivers and Matt Ryan, like it was over for those guys, right, and then they took this swing on Anthony Richardson, who's just not a good player, right, Yeah, So they got Daniel Jones, who I think we're honestly on one of the great runs. I remember being around the Raiders a lot, and they talked about Jim Plunkett, I mean, one of the craziest redemption stories of all time, right, high pick Heisman Trophy and then wins the Super Bowl. But that, for a long period of time didn't really happen. In the NFL. It was a lot of paid Mannings and Eli Mannings and Roethlisberger's Like Philip Rivers, you were drafted high, Carson Palmer, and you were good, you know, and if you stunk, you were just bad. And now we got these guys who were just really bad went through who are just thriving, and we got these mid round of late round picks kicking ass and taking names. I mean, look at Mac Jones, who just kind of all of a sudden, this guy's terrible to just had one of the great Thursday night performances in the league. Three. So it's just it's a time. It's a great time to be a quarterback with some talent, because you're gonna get opportunity.
Speaker 1: When you want to enjoy life simpler pleasures, reach for Green River Whiskey. Whether it's dry whiskey or single barrel bourbon, you're getting over a century of craftsmanship packed into every bottle. Hop on over to Green River Whiskey dot com and discover a legend in a bottle. Today. By the way, the Saints beat the Giants twenty six fourteen Jackson Dart twenty six to forty couple hundred yards. Giants first two drives were really good. And then and I don't think I've ever seen this, they had five straight possessions with turnovers and the Saints went on a twenty three on an unanswered point run. I wrote a couple of things. Now, Malik Neighbors wasn't there, Tyrone Tracy the running back for the Giants, So they're not great to begin with. They didn't have a lot of their juice. And next week the Giants now play Thursday against the Eagles off a loss, so you know they're one in four is one and five. But you know, I watched Spencer Ratler, and I've been doing this this year. I've been watching because it's supposed to be a strong quarterback draft. We'll get into that it's not as strong as we thought. But Rattler was good on third down twenty to thirty. He's always had a nice arm. That's never been a question. He I don't know if it's a power arm, but it's a I would say he's kind of an easy thrower. But I watched Spencer Rattlers today, and I'm not sure the Saints draft the quarterback. I'm not sure they do. What do you make of it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, I mean they just drafted the guy who's like forty years old, the rookie, and Spencer Ratler beat him out pretty easily, I would imagine. I've I've been really impressed with the Saints on offense. They are good on offense. It's defensively, they don't have much talent and most weeks they have no chance to stop anybody. Like you said, I mean, they cost five turnovers. Some of them are like punched out of Scataboo's hands, like that's not happening most weeks. But their offense has not been the problem. I don't think. Listen, I watched a lot of football on Saturday most weeks like you do. I do not see a lot of Saviors coming into the lague next year, so I who knows. I mean, this draft is pretty open. It doesn't feel even like that potent of a draft. So I think a lot of these quarterbacks that are on bad teams are going to continue to get to play. And if you need an answer at that spot, you're in some trouble because you know, you better hope to hit, you know, strike oil in the third or fourth round with one of these random guys. But for every Dak Prescott and Brock Purty, most guys are like Tyler Shuck. They get drafted in the second, third round, you never see anything of them. The history of the league is not a bunch of third round ers thriving in the NFL.
Speaker 1: No, No, it's people always I've heard this before. Oh it's such a coin flip. Now, your best your best offensive tackles, your best defensive tackles, your best quarterbacks are all overwhelmingly first round guys. I mean, Jalen Hurts, Drew Brees. There are occasional guys that dropped the top of the second, but I mean, there's a reason we all know what round Tom Brady was drafted him. You know, there's a reason we know that Dak went in the fourth round, like there's a reason because it didn't happen very often. You know, there's a couple of college things I wanted to talk about with you, because again I didn't think one of the downsides to the NFL being quarterback reliant. If you don't have a quarterback, you're out of it by week five. I mean, the Jets and the Giants are out of it. It's over. They're just they can't compete. The outther thing is when you have so many games, like I think these dual Monday night football games are ridiculous. Nobody likes it. Well, it also takes another game out of the Sunday rotation. So you know, again, if you had to put Rams Niners today in the late window along with the Seahawks Buccaneers, you'd had one of the great late windows in recent memory.
Speaker 2: Right, business sense behind the doubleheader because they're clearly doing it? Are they just trying to?
Speaker 1: Amazon just paid a billion dollars for very few games, So I get that. I understand Amazon. You want to get a streamer in, but it takes her. Really, they usually put a pretty good game up, so Amazon gives you that money. Amazon's like, we'll do it, but we want winning teams. Remember when they first started Thursdays and the Thursday games, oh mostly sucked and then kind of quietly Fox did it for about a year. Remember that Fox did it for a very brief time, got out bit eventually by Amazon, but foxed it for about a year and the games got better. And you know the reason I think it got better under Fox. This is my guess is I watched the Fox schedule for about a year. I forget how long Fox had it. It wasn't very long. But you started seeing division matchups, which are easier because the teams don't have to travel as far and they're built in rivalries, So Ravens Steelers or Bucks Falcons, it's not as disruptive Enners, right. So that then the NFL looked at it and thought, you know, this whole thing we did on Fox, it kind of makes sense, like, don't have multiple time zone differences on these short week games, which is how it started. And then Amazon's like, okay, we like, we like the way you're doing it now, and we want more good games. So they're putting pretty interesting games. If you go to these Thursday games, there's always at least one star quarterback. So you take Matt Stafford out of Sunday, well, okay, Matt Stafford's great, and you know, then you do a dual Monday. Okay, well you take really good quarterbacks out of Sunday. So I mean today, I mean there were three or four games I wanted to watch and I mean like, and there was half of the lineup. I mean Minnesota, Cleveland, you know, Cincinnati, Detroit, Arizona, Tennessee. Either it was a mismatch or it's lobsided, So I don't like it at all. I thought Saturday was once again fascinating, So there was always this kind of feeling. The SEC would always say, hey, man, the reason this is such a great conference anybody can beat anybody. Well, well, Ucla beat Penn State forty two to thirty seven. So I don't hear SEC fans saying, you know, they look at the Big Ten is weakness. Well, you used to always pat yourself in the back because the eight seed would beat the number two seed. And my takeaway was, I've always been a James Franklin supporter, but this is one of the things that makes the Big Ten tough. In the SEC, everybody's in the same time zone. You're asking Oregon to go all the way cross country, and now you're asking Penn State to go all the way cross country. I watched Washington play Maryland. Washington was asleep in the first half, didn't wake up until the late third quarter, and then the offense looked great, but they just got beat up by Ohio State had to travel three thousand miles, and then I'm watching UCLA and Penn State. Penn State didn't wake up until midway through the third You're asking these college kids, you're traveling cross country. You don't travel nearly as well as the NFL does. You don't stand in the kind of hotels, you don't bring in twenty six trainers. The NFL now travels john as you know. I mean, it's like Stan at the Rich Carlton going to a spa six hours a day. So I think what makes the Big Ten the problematic for these coastal teams is you're gonna get some of these games in the middle of the season. Off a huge Oregon game, Penn State cross country was just no juice. That was my take on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I think it's twofold one. I think Penn State had treated that Oregon game like their super Bowl. That was going to be a season defining game because if we beat this team, we finally get that you know, kind of monkey off our back. We beat a top team who's not as good as they had been in theory because they're a much younger we should win this game. It's at night, and then they lose. So the way they had built the schedule leading into that game was a joke. Right They were playing FIU Nevada, and then they lose that game in dramatic fashion. Almost felt like they had checked out. So you show up long cross country against my guy, Tim Skipper, Fresno State, guy that takes over for Sean Foster, who's Tim Skipper's brother, is the running back coach for the Bills. His dad's a longtime NFL coach, just gonna bring them juice. Jerry Neuheisel, who's been at UCLA as a player and a coach forever. They just kind of had a fuck it mentality, and they unleashed Nico as a runner. And Penn State's just coming off this game that was their super Bowl, lost it and let's face it, no chance they had a great week of practice. I don't believe that for a second, which I understand because when you build something up anything in the life.
Speaker 1: Of young kids with twenty two year olds.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so then all of a sudden they were down. If that game was six quarters, Penn State would have came back and won the game, right, But they were down and then all of a sudden, their quarterback's pretty overrated, right, I mean that's I mean, it wasn't his fault. They lost the game. The defense wasn't jo John.
Speaker 1: When I watched Drew Aller, there's not a lot of juice to it. He doesn't have a lot of he does, doesn't have great instincts. He's not inspiring, he didn't have tons of energy. He's just a big, strong kid. But when I thought that was a game where you sort of needed your quarterback, say, fellas, get on my back.
Speaker 2: Nico was doing that. Nico was doing that running guys over. It was. It's just a fan of football, and I grew up actually a pretty big UCLA fan. My cousin was a walk on there in the in the late nineties and early two thousands. That had to be the coolest Ucla moment in football in ten fifteen years. Well, remember when Josh rosenbat A and M yep.
Speaker 1: I remember they came back at halftime, Similarly, not a lot of fans in the stands and they beat Texas A and M, and it was like forty four forty one. It was just wild football game. But I don't know, I like James Franklin, but I think he's a great energy guy and a great recruiter.
Speaker 2: But I think it's over after that moment. I mean, it's it's one thing to lose to Oregon, which it sucks because he's lost that game a lot, but you know, they lose in overtime. They literally right there. They were just in the final four. But you can't lose to UCLA as a twenty five that is, you know, I think USC losing to Harbaugh and Stanford was more out of left field. Right that was in the peak of the Harball of the Dynasty. Stanford was an embarrassment. I think they had just been one to eleven to Vita Pritchard. They were forty point underdogs. This might even be crazier though, because of the hype that was around this team, even though they just lost to Oregon. I mean, I didn't think maybe they would cover because it was twenty five points. But if you said, what would you guess to score forty five to twenty five or something? Colin Penn State Jim Knowles, the guy that they took from Ohio State, is the highest paid defensive coordinator in the country. That's what Penn State just paid the defensive coordinator to come. Ucla had scored fifty seven points to start the season. They just scored forty two. They scored fifty seven points. Nico had become kind of a running joke. He left all this money at Tennessee to come to this bad program. And you talk about inspiring, like how many runs? He's just running over guys. He looked like Cam Newton meets Lamar Jackson. He was. If he had played like that over the course early on against with UCLA, they clearly would have been in more games. I mean, it was just to me there was the human element too. I mean, I loved Tim Skipper, I've known him forever. But they're seeing Rick new heisl who had coached at UCLA, watching his son who had played there, and now, you know, as an assistant coach calling place. Jerry new Heizel found out he was calling plays like Tuesday night.
Speaker 1: You know, it's been very chao practices.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been very chaotic in that program. Just I mean the coaches that probably includes like seven total coaches right now, what a I mean the Rose Bowl. It feels like they've sold signage all over the place because they know people won't show up. The whole thing's boarded off. Remember those old Raider games and like the twenty years ago that would used to be blacked out. They Mount Davis was all tarped off. That's what the Rose Bull feels like. I if buyouts did not exist, I would say, if you told me James Franklin was fired this morning, I would have believed you. But obviously the buyouts, the fifty million. It does feel like it's at the point in time like I saw someone comparing it to Calipari. You know, Calipari eventually just kind of leaves. You know, James Franklin, it's kind of like John Harbaugh. Like if it's John hart, no one thinks John Harball. Or when people say it was a time for Mike Tomlin. These guys are bad coaches. You put James Franklin at one Florida, he'd be fine, he'd win, was he is he Saban or Kirby. No, But like maybe it's just run its course. He's been there twelve years and the resume speaks for itself. Last year was his opportunity and Alur throws that ball across his body and they lose a Notre Dame or else they're in the national championship. Yep. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And I think the Calipari comp is spot on, is that you know, John could still coach, but when you're a Gant, when you're a dominating recruiter, the expectations ramp up because that's US now so transparent, there's so many sites, and fans get so worked up. The expectations ramp up. You know, Mark Fuo has told me that he because it's the great thing about Gonzaga. He goes, I can get three star recruits. He goes, if I went to UCLA and I recruited the exact same class I did at Gonzaga, I get heat. And he goes, yeah, but that's our system. It works for our system and our players, and we keep getting to, you know, the tournament and winning games. You go to these big schools, fans pay attention to that recruiting and they go crazy when you get it. But then you got to win all these games.
Speaker 2: Chris Peterson's a great example, right the team he had at Boise. If he had at UCLA or he had a Washington, they would have loved crushed, but they would have hated the They would have loved the team, but they would have hated the classes as the kids were coming right. Maybe like Kellen Moore, we don't want this guy as our quarterback. We want arch Manning.
Speaker 1: One more college topic. Florida beat Texas Billy Napier. Every every time you think he's done, he pulls one out. They beat Texas and arch Manning twenty nine to twenty one. So and they have four new offensive linemen at Texas. The past protection is not great. But I got to tell you I sat there and watch arch Manning. He holds onto the ball way too long and he doesn't have a great instinctive feel. When I watched him this weekend, there were a couple of moments John where I thought the game was in his head, like he like double pumped on stuff, or he looked almost mechanical. He was afraid to take a big shot down the field. And you know it's I don't want to be too harsh. I'm not sure arch Manning. You know, there were some when he came out that said he went to a small school, he dominated average competition, but I've not really seen. I mean, he's got a great he moves well, he's got the body. He's got the name, but there is something to be said about he's still young. About there's an it. You know, some guys just they you get him the ball and there's a confidence and there's an it. This Texas team, you know, the stark For all the criticism, you know, he wins a lot of games. They're not a good football team now.
Speaker 2: Well, I think if you go back fifteen twenty years ago, a guy like Arch gets several seasons. I think in the day and age where you're paying so much money to individual players, I think his spots in major jeopardy in twenty twenty six, you just pay too much for the roster to leave it in the chance of seems like a good guy. Obviously, his uncles are legends. Like this isn't Peyton or Eli Son, this is Cooper's And if you removed he threw a beautiful, like deep bomb for a touchdown, you remove that play. I thought he was mostly atrocious yesterday, Yes, yeah, And this is they played Florida. You know they didn't just play you know, Georgia Obama. So they still A and M looks excellent and you know Elko is known now with Saban retiring right there with Kirby is like the best defensive coordinator in the in the country. So this could get even weirder, and it's like, well, the kind of a transition year, there are no transition years anymore at the top programs with the money. Ask Oregon, we're in a transition year. We bought it and we're moving and in that.
Speaker 1: Place they had to replace eleven offensive starters Oregon and they're great.
Speaker 2: So to me, I would say, I would say Arch's positions in major jeopardy in twenty twenty six because their mentality. Wouldn't you agree with the amount of money you're paying for a roster and a coaching staff and the transfer portal now is to compete for national championships every single year and you don't get like a three year runway like out the Drew Aller experience that this is his third year pretty rare, but by his second year, you know, they were in the basically the final four. I don't know that Arch is getting a second year, you know. And I bet there would be some people that said, well, what if we had transitioned last year? I mean, there are people in Penn State saying we shouldn't have let the backup go to Missouri. We should have gone with that guy over Drew Aller. But these are the type questions you asked when you're at the top programs and you have access to all the sweet players. Right, So if they go eight and four and he continues to look like this, I just don't see him as a quarterback in twenty twenty six. I really don't. And that's just how this thing works. It's because you basically can cut a guy, slash, move on from a guy, force him out. Remember a couple of years ago at Ohio State when they basically blamed it all on Kyle McCord. It's different because McCord's last name is not Manning. But again, like this pretty cutthroat now. I mean, as you hear these Lane Kiffin, it's become very transactional. You either get it done or you're done. And they're like Kyle McCord. They blamed everything on Kyle McCord for losing the Michigan Ironically, they lost to Michigan again. Now granted that they won the national championship Will Howard, but they just kind of force you out. It's not like other people would want them. I'm sure, but he his arm talent. That there was a throw that Lagway made a deep bomb down the middle and you just went, yeah, got the physical attributes on this kid are just our eye opening. And then you watch Arch. You know, you said he was a good runner. They ran a couple like quarterback powers for him. He's okay. I mean, he's not Cam Newton or Lamar Jackson. So with that letticism, he can't just take over that way. He's like Drew Out. He can move a little bit and he can bust off some runs, but I wouldn't call him a runner. And then watching the arm, he misses a lot of layups too. That's that's part of the problem. So the layups and Sarks getting guys open.
Speaker 1: Yes, Sarks always gotten guys open, and he not only misses layups. But when you watch him sometimes you're not quite sure he's got the right arm angle or the mechanics. Like some of it looks bad. It just doesn't look right. It's it's you know again, Dante Moore can spin it, he can miss and you're like, you know, like Sam Darnold could throw a pick and you still like the delivery, you like the velocity, like I don't know.
Speaker 2: I just if his name was Arch middle Cough and he was just a five star normal quarterback, not famous. Last name is he benched right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of our odds are presented by hard Rock Bet, a new and great partner at the volume. Let's talk Monday Night football. Kansas City minus three and a half at Jacksonville. So Jacksonville's probably the weakest home field advantage in the league. I don't trust them in big spots, and Trevor Lawrence is always good for a bad pick. I think I think I would take Kansas City in this. You know, it's one thing to say Kansas City just came off this impressive win over Baltimore, but we watched Baltimore get housed today at home by Houston, so I don't I don't think it was a big win for Kansas City. I think by the third quarter, you know, they were on cruise control. But my takeaway is adding Xavier Worthy opens up the underneath routes for them. I think I'd probably take Kansas City to cover, but because they don't have a run game, if they do lead, it is hard for Kansas City to eat the clock up and kind of just squeeze you to death, you know, which gives Jacksonville a chance for a backdoor cover. But their home fields not much of a home field. I'll take the Chiefs by a touchdown. What say you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in complete agreement here. I think Kansas City's got a little I mean, when you have the success they do, almost like the Kevin Durant Warriors, like they need extra motivation. Sometimes it's not just the slow start kind of woke them up. But now the Chargers have all these injuries that they're not going to look the same, missing their tackles.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Charges are a mess.
Speaker 2: The Broncos are clearly still figuring it out. You got the Ravens now imploding. You think Kansas City is losing sleepover Aaron Rodgers. So the AFC, the Bills, they've played them a million times, they beat them every time that mattered in the playoffs. They're not intimidated to go to Buffalo. I think Kansas City now looks at the AFC goes, God, we just win a couple games. We're right back in it. This is it's still our conference.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing, Denver win helps the chief side. They watched that game and They're all in their hotel room tonight in Jacksonville going guys, forget the Chargers and the Raiders, we got to keep up with Denver.
Speaker 2: So here's the thing. Jacksonville's defense is clearly pretty good. Like that unit is solid. The Trevor Lawrence thing, I don't see. I wanted to believe a couple of years ago. I'm completely out. You got. Brian Thomas is having a weird year. He's banged up. Travis Hunter has been just like Miage, is not really working out for what they give him. I love Spags in this spot against Trevor Lawrence. Liam Collins, good offensive coordinator Trevor Lawrence. Even last week against Robert Sala, wasn't that good to me? This got like a twenty to ten type feel, kind of ugly. That's how the Chiefs like to play the volume