Speaker 1: Welcome to episode number one thirty five of the Marine Layer Podcast. Lyle and I have some more Mariners trade targets to break down. We'll go down on the farm and pick out a standout Mariners meer leaguer. We have a Russell Wilson umpire of the week, and we'll close out the show with Speak your Mind.
Speaker 2: Here's your guys reminder before we start the show. If you're listening to this podcast, do us a favor. Download it, leave a five star review, leave a written review if you want to. It all helps us out. If you're watching on YouTube, you see the subscribe button, just click it, hit the like button.
Speaker 3: It's easy.
Speaker 2: It helps us out a bunch, and then go check us out on social media too after you leave a comment on YouTube. Also, I should add that in check us out on social media, We're on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, and YouTube shorts at Marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 1: Let's get it rolling, and we welcome you to this episode of the Marine Layer Podcast, part of the Just Baseball Podcast Network, recording Thursday evening, June sixth and I'm here to report Lyle after a Mariner's series victory in Oakland. Abraham Toro for the series two for twelve struck out a couple of times today. Brian Wu through one of the nastiest two seemers in on Abe today and it looked like it broke his soul.
Speaker 2: Is the fact that he's on pace to be a three war player breaking your soul.
Speaker 1: A little bit?
Speaker 3: Three wins three?
Speaker 1: He is? He so just full transparency. He's not in this list of trade targets Low and I have today. But as I mentioned before we started recording, unfortunately, he's probably gonna be on the next one.
Speaker 3: I wonder whose fault it is that he's not on the list.
Speaker 1: That Hey, I listen, I was digging around and picking out I thought I picked we have some good names picked out today. But Abe, promise you, buddy, you're going on the next one. God, what a conflicted episode. That's gonna be.
Speaker 2: Conflicted conflicted episode. Imagine if he actually gets traded back here. I know you've talked about that before. That's gonna be one of the best podcast episodes we've ever had.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just don't know what I'm gonna do. I don't know what I'm gonna do. There's gonna need to be a bit, but I'm not sure it is. We've we have run the bit this week. Apparently I voted him for the All Star Game and no one else. But that's just what I'm told online.
Speaker 2: Well that's what sources are saying. If you was tweeted out on our account saying hey it's TJ, it must have been you.
Speaker 1: Did you put my email account in there too? So it reminded me that I voted.
Speaker 3: Hmmm, not that, not that I know of. Huh, So you didn't get the remissed out?
Speaker 1: You should should have done that. Then I would have gotten the notification before you tweeted it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, TJ wants Ave in the All Star Game, haven't you heard?
Speaker 1: Oh he's a story that would be tell twenty twenty one, TJ. Matthewson Abraham Toro is an All Star for the Oakland A's and twenty twenty fours in there thing?
Speaker 2: Really huh No, I do not think your response would be really question mark. I think you would go full Frank the tank.
Speaker 1: No, he's not.
Speaker 2: No, you would just go full Frank the tank the minute you see that he has made the roster.
Speaker 1: Well, he's gonna have to beat Mason Miller out for that one. A spot, so I'm liking my chances.
Speaker 3: Well there might be two with Brent Rooker.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, there might maybe maybe the Oakland A's with two bad Oakland A's with two.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: I would like to throw this out there before we dive into some of the trade targets. So TJ and I were texting about this a little bit this afternoon recording Thursday, after Brian Wu had a six inning shutout start against the A's.
Speaker 3: Dodra is now one oh seven on the year.
Speaker 2: What a stud First off, but I want to propose this question everybody listening, everybody watch on YouTube. TJ and I have differing opinions on this, and we want yours. So how do you do that? You guys know by now drop a comment on YouTube if you're watching, send us a DM whatever you want. If Brian Wu keeps this up, is he going to be an All Star? And my answer, shockingly is the optimist on this podcast is yes.
Speaker 1: So here's my thing about this. It's not that he doesn't deserve to be an All Star, because, like you say, if he keeps out the pace, then he'd probably have a sub one era and well ten, it'd be ten eleven, starts a month from now, so that's what it would be.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: That is an All Star caliber first half, and he'd probably get one, two, maybe more before the All Star Game actually happens. So first thing is so currently right now, Unfortunately for him, he's outside the top forty in American League starting pitcher war. That's a I'd say a tough sell for a manager building a roster of pitchers don't all look at war, but you know, managers do like innings, and the more innings you pitch, the more war you usually gardner if you're pitching well, I don't know if he'll have the work the innings workload to get there. And secondly, I don't know if the Mariners would want him pitching more innings in the All Star Game. They already have been very, very careful. They were careful with him again today on Thursday, and watching his pitch load, he could have an All Star caliber first half on the bump, but still not make it. I think That's where I'm at right now. What he's doing right now is pretty unbelievable. I'm gonna be honest, it's not it. He has changed his pitch mix a little bit, but it hasn't been a drastic change. He's at his core, been the same person he always is, which is a fastball heavy, get a lot of ground balls, not gonna rack up a ton of strikeouts, but I'll get them in key spots and overall, just not allow hard contact at all. And he's in with all these fastballs and it works, and it's still worked in a small six game sample here to start this season, it's been pretty remarkable. He has exceeded my expectations. He still has things to do and to work on. I think I've pointed to you he's still very He's still yet to really get through a third time in the lineup at all in his career, like get through multiple like multiple batters, third time through the lineup. I think he did that today, but it was just a couple right. What that next step for him of getting him forward, and that's gonna come with a larger workload, which we haven't seen yet.
Speaker 2: So that's all well and good. But I'm saying he's an All star. If he keeps us up for another month, he might.
Speaker 1: Not have the anything is going to be an all star or he deserves to be an All Star.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I think he's got an actual chance to be if he keeps us up for another month, how how can you be a voter? How can you be a manager? If you keep this up for another month? You're sitting there with an er and the ones and say, nope, not an All Star. I'm sorry, But like I think, if he keeps this up, he's getting in.
Speaker 1: And now so he is for sure, you're.
Speaker 2: Saying, I think so if he keeps this kind of pace up. Now here's where I agree with you. The Mariners not wanting him to pitch in the All Star Game and add more innings, even if it's one inning, he is a warranted take. I think with that logic, the Mariners may opt to not have him pitch in the All Star Game, but that does not mean he doesn't get to fly to Dallas, walk the red carpet dress for the game, be in the dugout, do the media sessions, and all in all have a star next to his Baseball reference page that says All Star twenty twenty four. No, I think he keeps this up. I know he missed the first month. I think he's getting in. I don't know how you ignore a guy that could have like a one to two era or something and say no, no, he's not an All Star.
Speaker 1: This sounds like something will check in on in the end of the month, so I think we'll have a better idea. Can change if he has a blow up start you know that chang changes his case. But if he doesn't allow a run for the rest of the rest of June, then it's probably good. He's got a pretty good case.
Speaker 2: Okay, So once again call to action to all of you guys. You're listening. You can send us a DM you can't. Yeah dm' is probably the easiest. You could email us if you want to. But if you're watch on YouTube, go comment, leave us a comment. Is Brian Wu either going to be an All Star or deserving of being an All Star if he keeps us up for the next month. We want your take. This podcast is split. We want to hear from the crowd.
Speaker 1: So so the other bit of news Lyle is we floated the idea out there. It seemed like it made sense, But this week it finally came to fruition that now recently minted top one hundred prospect Logan evans our guy is moving to the bullpen. He had a great first two months starting in Arkansas dominant, but the Mariners decided this that he's moving to the bullpen. He made his first bullpen appearance this week, allowed one unearned run a pair of hits over two innings. This makes sense. This makes a lot of sense for what the Mariners need, and it makes sense for where Logan Evans is at. I think at first I was thinking, man, it's a little early to take him out of the rotation because I feel like he still has more starter innings left in him. But he actually doesn't. Because he threw seventy eight total innings in twenty twenty three. That includes his time in college, his time post college and summer ball, and then his time with the Mariners seventy eight total innings. He's at fifty three right now, and there's four months of the season left. So the Mariners are gonna have to find some way to manage those Logan Evans innings. And if they think, okay, well he could be valuable in this Mariner's bullpen, then let's use up the next thirty or forty innings he has left this season and put him in the big league bullpen. And he's now on his way to do that.
Speaker 3: I can't wait. First off, this is going to be so exciting for him.
Speaker 2: Imagine telling Logan Evans a year ago today, when he had an era that was not desirable in college that a year from now, you're gonna be in the big leagues. That's sick like. First off, just as somebody who is now a friend of the pod, that's awesome. But in terms of the Mariner's needs, man, this would be such a boost for them. You're talking about a guy that can ramp it up to ninety nine miles an hour. Honestly, we've never seen him in the bullpen. He's in the bullpen. Who's to say he can't hit triple digits. I wouldn't be shocked if he's going all out in appearances for an inning at a time, for a bullpen that has had a bunch of injuries and needs reinforcements, this would be huge. And it's a perfect way to balance the man the workload of Logan Evans, because he's started about as many games as you could have him start for what his innings limit will allow this year. Now, what could you do with the rest of his innings? You could have him either make a couple more starts, or say hey, why don't you pitch out of the bullpen? And because you were very clearly one of the thirteen best arms in this organization, already you're getting into the bullpen.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, Logan Evans, this is Logan Evans. This is my call to you. Get ready for the MENI my question because it's coming now, especially if you were a member of this bullpen. I see what you guys do on a day to day basis and how much free time you have. You're coming. You're getting on the mic.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, he's getting on the mic and knowing Logan a little bit.
Speaker 3: Now, I bet you will be willing to do it.
Speaker 1: To be honest with you, get ready for your top five slogan.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Now here's the last thing I wanted to add. There have been some people all of a sudden starting to talk about is this transition for Logan Evans going to be permanent? I've seen I listen to Ryan Divish talk about this on Jason Puckett's podcast just recently, saying well, and I think Puckett mentioned it too, about the idea of will this be a permanent transition? The way Edwin was transferred from a starter to a reliever never went back. Matt Brash was transitioned from a starter to a reliever. They tried to let him work back as a starter of the following season, but it didn't happen.
Speaker 3: He stayed in the bullpen.
Speaker 2: I've had I've heard some people talking about, is this what's gonna happen with Logan Evans? Is this just going to be a permanent transition. I don't think so. I think it's a little different with Brash and Edwin Diez. Were those two very clearly, even though they were starting in the minor leagues. I think most scouts and analysts said their profile is more of a bullpen arm, So yes, they were transitioned to bullpen arms. What's happening with Logan Evans here, I think mirrors very much what happened with Dustin May and the Dodgers a few years ago. I think it's much more like that, where they said, look, Dustin May is clearly one of the best arms we have. There is no room for him to start in the rotation right now. But how do we optimize him and help him win this ball club games in the big leagues? Put him in the bullpen when we need him, He's going to pitch out of a bullpen, and for this season in twenty twenty four, I think that's exactactly what they're gonna do with Logan Evans. In this offseason, I'll probably go back to being a starter, So.
Speaker 1: I think he's going to be a starter next year. But I thought Puckett and Divish made good points on this thing. Ultimately, players do want to be in the big leagues because the life is that much better than it is being in the minor leagues. And look at where the Mariners current rotation is right now. Are you breaking into that group as a starter? Probably not. It's gonna be difficult, right and teams don't carry a sixth starter, so it it is ultimately up to the It's up to the team first, because the team's gonna decide with a player under contract, what they're gonna do. But then it's the player too to either accept that except maybe a bullpen roll to be a big leaguer more then say okay, well I'm gonna start. It could be a longer term, more beneficial long term for me, but it doesn't guarantee me a spot in this very rotation. So it's it's a balancing act. For example, if Emerson Hancock was if he jumped to the bullpen and was throwing ninety nine with a wicked slider, do you think he'd be up right now? Well, I will say if he would do that, Emerson Hancock would be in the bullpen right now. But as Emerson's not really he's not really a bullpen type arm, so at least not right now right And if he was in the bullpen, he'd be at the big leagues. He'd be making a big league salary, flying on chartered flights, with five star hotels, all these things that the players really cove it and they work so hard for. So it's a decision sometimes it's it all comes back to say that Logan Evans I think will still be a starter next year. But I wouldn't say it's something that is one hundred percent set in stone for everyone.
Speaker 3: It's not set in stone.
Speaker 2: But I just think with him and how he profiles, I would guess he will remain as a starter.
Speaker 3: I don't know that. I can't promise for certain. That is just my guess in my opinion, right.
Speaker 1: And just because you're in the bullpen doesn't mean that you can't start, No, you just you just need to get ramped up a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's harder once the season starts. It's much easier to go from starter to reliever mid season than reliever to starter.
Speaker 1: You're so, yeah, you're right. So ultimately those are decisions the Mariners and Logan Evans will have to make. But as of right now, bullpen for the rest of the season, it seems like, and I'll be right back in the rotation in the minor leagues next year, I would imagine, unless there's an injury, but we don't. We don't wish for injuries.
Speaker 3: Here, No, no, of course not.
Speaker 2: And like I said above all else, I think we're just really excited to now see him in the big leagues here. Soon enough, they could be by the All Star break and yeah, we're gonna be We're gonna be fired up for him, So shout out Logan. It'll be interesting to see how is outing's look is a reliever here in Double A for the next few weeks, and I think people are now keeping a very close eye on them.
Speaker 1: So let's get into these Mariners trade targets and let's go down to Tampa Bay to start. This is a guy we talked about in the off season, low Randy a Rose Arena, a guy who could pay potentially be available with Tampa Bay hovering around five hundred this year. For his career, he has been a very solid hitter. I mean we're talking about a one to twenty six WRC plus last year, won twenty four the year before that, and one twenty seven in his first full year in Tampa in twenty twenty one. But this year it hasn't been quite as good. He's got just a seventy nine WORC plus. He's striking out a lot, he is walking a little bit, he's hitting for a tiny bit of power, but his value this year has really plumbing. It would this be a guy who'd make.
Speaker 3: Sense, Not the way he profiles right now.
Speaker 2: Not when you've got an OPS nearly under six hundred and the rest of his profile. It's concerning, which is crazy to say about a guy like a rose Arena who's been He's not a superstar player, but he's in that star category between one. He's just got the fun personality and he's flashy and all that stuff.
Speaker 3: But he is a very very good baseball player.
Speaker 2: I don't know what's going on with him this year, but he's not launching the ball at all, like nothing. He's hittings going in the air, He's swinging and missing a lot. Strikeouts were already part of his game for the most part, but it's been amplified this year. And when you're not launching the ball, you're not barreling up the ball. His defense has honestly been below average. That's a problem in Seattle, even more so than other places, And going from Tampa to Seattle with this profile, that doesn't scream success. And if it's not going to be a success for Estoch Parades, who is having a great year, and it doesn't feel like it's going to be a success for Randy Roserena.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is a case of Randy being washed or something. He's only twenty nine and he's coming off a year last year which you could argue is his best. I mentioned the one twenty six WRC plus, but he was also striking out the lowest mark he has in his career while walking the most. That's an ideal combination to have all while crushing the baseball. Now again, the strikeout rate as we mentioned is ticked up this year, and out rate is ticked up this year, and the overall production is not there. And like you said, he's not hitting the ball in the air and off, and he's not hitting it in the right spot like for example, launch angles sweet spot is something baseball savant tracks. It's how many balls do you hit between eight degrees and thirty two degrees of launch angle, which is the sweet spot for a batted ball. He is in the first percentile in baseball at that so the ideal launch angle for a hit, he's doing the least in baseball, which is which is troubling. But I don't think that's something that's unfixable. So you sit here and think of Randy like, okay, like could we tweak something here that could lead him. By the way, has still has a good hard hit profile. He's still hitting the ball hard. That's not an issue. It's where he's hitting the baseballs. If the Mariners say, okay, he's not making that much money. He's making just eight million dollars this year. We'll have him for next year and the year after that. He's not a free agent until after the twenty twenty six season. If we think we could acquire two and a half years of a twenty nine year old Randy rose Arena. We do one tweak here, one tweak there to his swing. He's already hitting the ball hard, he hits it in the air a little bit more, and then all of a sudden that production comes back and he's still got the good eye here, and he's gonna give us value by hitting the ball over the fence and by walking a bunch like that. Could that could be a way you sell it.
Speaker 2: Okay, So we should have prefaced this segment. And just for those listening and watching that that don't know, this is our under the radar Mariner's potential trade targets. If you listened to the podcast two weeks ago, from two Fridays ago, we did.
Speaker 3: All the A level names, we did all the headliners.
Speaker 2: We did Robert, we did Vladdie, we did Rucker, we did Pee Alonzo, all of them. So this segment and this podcast is more based around guys that would be a little bit under the radar. So all the names we're gonna outline here on this show fit that much. And Randy Rose Arena right now is one of them. Because he's not hitting all that great right now, here's my thing. If you had ask me three months ago, I would have said, absolutely, trade for Randy Rose Arena. We said it in the offseason. You can only trade for so many guys. It's been very clear the Mariners not only need an immediate boost in offensive production, but need to get to the playoffs this year. They need to make they need to make something happen this year. And trying to toy around with a mid season project with a guy that's way below average as a hitter right now, isn't hitting for a ton of power, isn't launching the ball, isn't playing great defense. I don't know, all of a sudden, I've got cold feet about this. Paired with I'm sure the Rays would still try to ask for a decent amount back for him.
Speaker 1: But if the price is lower and he's the second bat you acquire, is that the worst thing?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: If he's the second bat, sure, and if it's look, if it's gonna cost you somebody that's outside of your gold standard prospects.
Speaker 3: What I mean is that that.
Speaker 2: First wave, and you know who do you want to qualify in that first wave? Colt Cole Young, Harry laz Belman, Barmelo. I'll throw typed in there too, Like if it's somebody past those guys, sure, But if it's gonna be what Randy Rose arena would have cost it a couple months ago, and you have to try to fix a guy midseason, then I've got cold feat.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think the way we preface this list of trade targets is most of these guys, if not all of them, would be the second guy you acquire. If the Mariters are going all out at the deadline to improve the offense, this is the second guy you're getting. There's I think one guy in this list who we think would be a potential number one, but the rest of this would be a number two. And I think Randy at a cheaper price the race, I feel like, don't have as much leverage as we would think because we know they don't like paying arbitration salaries and is this gonna go up again and again he's got again two more times. This salary's gonna raise as a Tampa Bay ray. And you know we you and I both know they don't want to pay that right now that Randy's gonna not if they don't know what's wrong with Randy?
Speaker 3: Sure? All right?
Speaker 2: So with that scenario painted more open minded, Yes, if it's going to actually cost you a high level prospect, then I've got cold feet. So oh and if this is going to be the second bat you acquire, if the Mariners were to acquire two outfield bats or a first baseman and an outfielder for example, I'm not saying any of these are gonna happen, but if they were to acquire Luis Robert and a Rose Arena or I guess for our sake, because we've talked about Rooker a little more since we have, you know, concerns with Roberts health. Who's gonna be Rooker and a Rose Arena? Sure, then a Rose Raina is not the headliner all of a sudden, I'd be open to that. If he's the headliner and they're trying to and the Rays are trying to ask for top level prospects, no way.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's fair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: But you know, nobody, nobody is perfect here. And if Randy was doing what he did last year, he would have been in our episode two weeks ago.
Speaker 2: Sure, and Yandi Diaz would too. Who's not on this list because Ty France are starting to hit. And you know we've outlined some other guys in that first base dh mold But same thing. If Yandy Diaz was hitting the way he was supposed to be hitting, he'd be on the list two weeks ago.
Speaker 1: Tie has been better than Yandi Diaz this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct, it has been great. Yandi Diaz has not been great. That's why he's not on the list. But it is crazy how fast things change. All right, second guy, we're gonna get to in a minute. Before that, let's take a pause here. We're gonna talk to you about our friends over at Pagatcha's Pub eighty five.
Speaker 3: You know, one of these guys may be a Mariner at some point.
Speaker 2: Maybe you don't get to watch him a ton on TV right now, but if the day comes that the Mariners make a big trade, you want to get out with your friends and watch the Mariners games. You want to watch a new name Mariner in a Mariner uniform. Head out some friends and do it. Head over to Pigatcha's Pub eighty five. You can hang out. You can eat some great food, some great drinks. You want to play pool. You want to play darts, You've got a bunch of stuff to do. Like it's it's your one stop shop. And if you go during happy hour, drinks are three and four dollars and that's from two to six pm Monday through Friday. So if you want to head out early, want to get some drinks, you want to watch the Mariners, we recommend it. That's all over at Pigotcha's Pub eighty five in Kirkland. Guy number two, another exciting name, Jash Chisholm of the Miami Marlins. On the year, he has a seven thirty five ops, eight homers, one oh seven WRC plus one point two f wour and he currently has two and a half years on his contract.
Speaker 3: How do we feel about this one?
Speaker 1: Fun? This would be the most fun guy they could acquire easily. He's got a little bit of power, he's got a little bit of swag. He's an electric bas owner. He would play the corner outfield. He hasn't played corner outfield, but I think he'd be okay at corner outfield. His defensive numbers are interesting to say the least, But if you stick him out there in the corner having a lot of fun, chain will be out, might hit a homer, toss his bad a million miles into the air. And by the way, he'll be productive like that. That's what you want, right, Ultimately, it's production. And you know, looking at the team across the aisle that you're going to be training with here at the Miami Marlins, Like, seriously, how much is he really gonna cost?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a again, he's a one oh seven WRC plus guy. I know he's got two and a half years of control, So he is not going to cost you a bunch of top level prospects in your farm system. Your farm's not gonna get gutted for jazz Chasm, that's for sure. So yeah, I'm sure that the package would probably be reasonable. And like you said, how do you know the flairy add to this team, to this city, to this region be awesome? And selfishly, guy's a great quote. You think he wouldn't make great short form content if we got him on the mic?
Speaker 3: Oh he would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we should. If Jerry doesn't want to do it, we should do the negotiating with the Marlins. We'll do that.
Speaker 3: I'm sure, Well, he'd be word.
Speaker 1: I think it'd be worth the investment.
Speaker 3: I mean, how hard can it be to negotiate with the Marlins?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, how's that Christian Yell's trade working out exactly?
Speaker 3: You know what's funny?
Speaker 2: Arm put out that tweet Arm Lighton, who's the co founder of Just Baseball and has been on this podcast. It went viral because the four guys the the Marlins got back for Christian Yelich are now all out of baseball. One of them, I'm gonna blank on his name. Maybe I need to look it up. One of them is now trying to play college football at age twenty.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Monte Harrison, he's former four star recruit. He's at Arkansas m h.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's who it was.
Speaker 2: Monte Harrison and Lewis Brinson, who was the headline of that deal.
Speaker 3: Is out of baseball. He's out a major league baseball that's for sure.
Speaker 1: So but like Jazz has shown, he has like the potential to be electric. Twenty twenty two season was his best. He was an All Star that year, had a one thirty six worc plus and sixty games. That was peak Jazz. Go back on YouTube like it's the Tavon Austin joke where you go watch Tavon Austin, West Virginia highlights, But no, go watch Jazz Chisholm's twenty twenty two season highlights because that was that was a fun season. But he's actually we're talking about this year. He's made some really quality jumps in areas you'd like to see. His quality of contact is up, his barrel rate is up, and his walk rate is up. Those are positive science I And his barrel rate is up there at twelve percent eighty second percentile, it's pretty good. He's not a huge guy overall, not a huge power guy. And when you look at the Savant page, you see average about overall net average. But then you check at the value batting run value eighty first percentile, base running run value something the Mariners need ninety seventh percentile. Then fielding he's average. Well, note that with the Marlins he plays center. The Mariners should be in the corner outfield spots. And he, by the way, was a former infielder. If you want, if you dare to move him back on the infield, you could do that too. So he's versatile, he's fast, he's fun, he's got a little big bit of power. He's not gonna cost that much. That's why I think this would be fun.
Speaker 2: He's actually on pace for about twenty five homers right now, which is crazy, but he is so Yeah, all that combined, especially the fact that he can play infield and outfield for you, that helps a lot. I know he hasn't played second base this year, but if you need him to play second base, I'm sure he can do it. And like you said, if you can play center field, you can play the corners. Especially if you're Jazz Chisholm, I'm sure he can play left field. So if they if the Mariner's traded for him and had him play left field, I think that would be perfectly fine. And the two guys we've headlined so far with chishom and a ros Arena, because they have club can role that is much more appealing, as we know, to Jerry Topoto and Justin Hollander than probably a lot of the guys we're gonna headline upcoming because they don't usually make trades for Reynolds.
Speaker 1: Can you just think of the personality difference with the current Mariners corner outfielders and then Jazz.
Speaker 2: Listen, And that's no knock on any of the Mariners guys like people are who they are. But but yes to to your point of Don Canzon and Luke Rayley, Mitch Hanneger, who are all you know, they're more on the quiet side, at least from what we see as media for the most part. Paired with jazz Chisholm. That's that's pretty night and day different like night and day. Yeah, that's oh yeah, that's a drastic difference in terms of the outgoingness, at least at least in public.
Speaker 3: Again, maybe maybe in the clubhouse. All those guys are way different.
Speaker 2: We don't know that, but at least how they they are around I guess the media or on TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's there's a big difference.
Speaker 1: And you know overall, like if you acquire them so I city, he's gonna be region after the twenty twenty sixties. But he's not that expensive. He cost two point six million this year. He'll probably cost five next year and then seven and a half the year he walks, right, it's not that much.
Speaker 2: No, Now, if we're gonna highlight a couple of concerns, which we probably should, he I don't want to say he's a platoon bat, but he fares much better against righty's than he has lefties in his career. You're talking about an eight hundred ops against righty's and his six twenty five ops in his career against lefties. So again, he doesn't platoon, but there there are some somewhat draftic splits. And he hasn't been Luis Robert injured in his career, but he has sustained his share of injuries.
Speaker 3: So health is something to consider here too.
Speaker 2: Again, like because he wouldn't cost that much any of his club control, I am open minded the idea.
Speaker 3: I'm just outlining that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he would you say he's the best player right now on the Marlins, right he doesn't. He wouldn't have to be that anymore, right so, and it was him and was a rise than him, but now it's I think it's just him. So there would be I'd say less the pressure would be on, like he'd be in Seattle to play, but it's not. Our season makes some breaks if you stay healthy right now, which is different which would be different than Luis Robert, which the Mariners season if they were to acquire him and then he would get hurt, would affect the Mariner's season greatly.
Speaker 2: To answer your question, he is the most valuable position player on the Marlins. That's for sure now by Baseball Reference because I just pulled it up. In terms of team war for this year. There are three pitchers ahead of him, Ryan Weathers, Tanner, Scott Declan Cronin. But Jazz chism is the most valuable position player on the Miami Marlins.
Speaker 1: All right, well sounds good to me and Jerry so I overall like the idea of Jazz Chisholm, and don't I don't think he'll cost that much. Now, if we go to our next guy, different profile, different personality, differ in structure, it'll be Mark Canna. We've talked and a lot around the Mariners community have talked about Mark Canna for years now as a guy who could fit in Seattle, talked about it when he was a free agent a couple of years ago, and now that he's in his walk ear in Detroit, it's come back up that Mark Canna could be in addition to this team. One fourteen WRC plus this year, six home runs, he's walking a decent amount, he's not striking out. He's been worth about one Fangrafts win above replacement. He has been a remarkably consistent hitter in his career. What do you think about this.
Speaker 2: As a secondary piece? Sure, he is almost always above league average as a hitter. I love the fact that he walks. I love the fact that he is not a huge strikeout guy. Mariners need a guy like that. And you know, he can play quarterer outfield, he can play quarterer infield, he can dh He's got some versatility. I like Markanna as a player. But if the Mariners and the trade deadline and there headline offensive acquisition is acquiring thirty four year old Mark Kanna with two months on his contract, that's the caveat that would have not just me, but probably a lot of people up in arms.
Speaker 3: I like Mark Canna as a player.
Speaker 2: I would like him if he's the second option, if you get him and a Brent Rooker of Laddie whoever, but not as a headliner.
Speaker 1: He's just showing telltale signs of aging. Like his slugging has gone down every season as he's gone into his thirties, and he's just slugging three eighty seven this year. And that doesn't take away from the fact, again he's still above average hitter by WRC plus and by a good amount at one fourteen, but that's mostly because he is He walks a bunch, and it's helped him maintain a three point fifty on base percentage every season since twenty nineteen. It's not something you just make up, and looking at the rest of the Mariners lineup, they don't have a lot of three point fifty on base percentages in that lineup. So he would certainly be on and a head of guys to hit him in, which would be good, but his defense, his defense isn't great. Primarily a much better hitter against lefties, is about a league average hitter against righty's, and there's just not too much else you can do as a rental. I mean, he would come in to supplement and be a right handed hitting, corner outfielder that you could have. You would essentially trade for him and want him to be better than Mitch Hanniger, which right now he is. But both are in their mid thirties. So what if Canna gets to August and September and the wear and tear catches up and he slumps and struggles as a lot of older players do. It's just hard to maintain sometimes. So if you think in August and September Mark Hannah is a better player than Mitch Hanniger, then that works. But if you're not sold you think the age might catch up to him. I don't know if that works.
Speaker 3: Well unless you've got anything else on Mark Canna.
Speaker 2: There is an option for rental outfielder who's a little bit younger, who might be more intriguing, and many of you know his name, it's Tyler O'Neil. For the year, the former Mariners prospect has an eight to forty seven ops, eleven bombs, one thirty one WRC plus zero point eight f war also a free agent at the end of the year and younger than Mark Canna. Now, this dude hits the ball with absolute force. His battle ball profile is awesome. He hits for a ton of power. He's maybe more in shape than any player in baseball. However, the one thing that stands out is the same issue the whole Mariners team is having, not just last year, but this year too. Strikeouts through the roof. Tyler O'Neal is striking out thirty three and a half percent of the time. So how do you feel about this one?
Speaker 1: He might be one of the big outside of Joey Gallo three true outcome guys in baseball at this point, so strikeout rates thirty three percent, he's got his highest ISO of his career, and he's walking a bunch, right, He's walking almost thirteen percent of the time. So if you like action, he's probably not your player. So he's he's gonna just mash try and mash the ball in the air and pull it a bunch. Here's a problem, Lyle. What version of Tyler O'Neill would the Mariners get. In April he put up an Aaron Junge Barry Bonds esque what two o six WRC plus? But then in May before he got hurt and just came off the il. Yesterday on Wednesday he had a forty five WRC plus. Who are they getting right? You're not trading for Tyler O'Neil to put up a forty five WRC plus on your roster because the Mariners already have that if they wanted it.
Speaker 2: This just feels like too streaky and too risky of a player for somebody like Jerry Depoto or Justin hond Or to trade for. He's an like he's had overall a good year anchored by a phenomenal April. If the Mariners are traded for him before the year, you could have guaranteed yourself a home run on opening Day, considering a home runs on opening Day. He had a home run on opening Day every year. But if you're talking about you need him for half a season or two months, doesn't feel like the most sustainable guy in the world you'd trade for. Honestly, between him and Mark Canna, the Mariners would probably be more inclined to trade for Canna.
Speaker 1: I agree, And I'm worried if you would even fit into T Mobile Park. How much do we have to hear complaining about how flyballs don't carry in T Mobile Park? Well, Tyler O'Neil this year has the highest fly ball percentage and lowest line drive and ground ball rate of his career this year, so he's selling out for fly balls. Well, it just so happens that T Mobile Park is the worst possible park to hit a fly ball in. Does that fit? No? Not really. It's a little better in the summer, little bit, yeah, but still not great even when it warms up. It still warms up everywhere else too.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Really, this feels like a little too polarizing a player for Jerry and justin to go trade for and for a guy that you're not really gonna know what you're getting.
Speaker 1: And it's not just this year that he's been checkl and hide. Just look at how his career was. He in twenty twenty one he had his major breakout, he's great in the field, he had a one forty three WRC plus, and then in the last two years in Saint Louis he was a league average hitter. So who are you getting right? Everyone thought Tyler O'Neil was a star, gonna be a star in twenty twenty one after that, but he couldn't get it. I know, things didn't really work out in the Cardinals organization. It was a really weird relationship. But I mean even this year, it's been up and then it's been down, the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. So if you catch him on his two month hot streak at the end of the season, then Jerry Depoto will look like an absolute genius for swinging this trade, Because, to be honest, Love, if you think about it, right handed hitting power for consistently for two months is something the lineup could use, but you're not guaranteed to get it. No.
Speaker 2: Again, this just doesn't feel like the player they would trade for. No matter what, whether he's hot or not, you're getting a ton of strikeouts and I don't think the Mariners or any fans for that matter, can put up with any more strikeouts, especially if strikeouts are gonna go up by acquiring Tyler O'Neil.
Speaker 1: How about a less boom or bust outfield option and a more consistent offensive player. How about Michael Confordo, thirty one year old outfielder for the San Francisco Giants is a one to twenty six WRC plus this year. He's a rental making eighteen million dollars this year. Average strikeout rate, average walk rate, hits, a ton of line drives. Is not an over the top power guy. What do you think.
Speaker 3: About this and Seattle Royalty? Mm?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, he was.
Speaker 2: He went to Redmond High School, which is not our rival. It's not Lake Washington High School's rival. It would be like I guess the it would almost be like your inner league rival because Lake Washington Redmen were in different regions like three A, four A. It would almost be like how the Yankees' main rival is obviously the Red Sox, but then it would kind of be like the Yankees Mets thing. That's like what Lake Washington and Redmond High School are like. Anyway, Michael Canfordo as a baseball player, as a professional baseball player, yeah, sure, for half a year, this could make a lot of sense. Now, something you're going to have to take into account. He has been platoon ish in his career. I'm not saying he always gets used as a platoon bat, but his lefty righty splits have have some fluctuation in his career. But even with that, even though he's much better against righty's than lefties, he hits. And if you need a secondary bat that can play some outfield, play some DH it's a lot of left handed outfielders, but it's a guy that could make some sense.
Speaker 1: The lefty outfield stacking thing is real because as of right now, the Mariners don't need a lefty outfielder, which you know, it would just be kind of weird to carry three left handed hitting corner outfielders. Doesn't really fit on a roster and doesn't fit for how the Mariners manage and structure their roster around a matchup the other. There's another interesting thing. He's you know, he's walked a bunch in his career, over ten percent of the time for his career, but it's down this year. He was only a league average hitter last year, and the year before that he missed the entire season with what I believe was a shoulder injury. He's not the healthiest guy in the world, and he's not a good defender in the outfield. So the bat itself right now looks good. But remember he's on the other side of thirty. He's had injury injury issues in the past, and he's not a great defender. So this feels like if they were really gonna trade for him, does this almost feel like he would be a DH sort of.
Speaker 2: And again, the reason I'm somewhat open minded to it is I do like the fact he can barrel it up. I do like the fact he doesn't strike out a ton. Just if you're if I know, the left handed corner outfield thing is gonna get crowded. I'm just thinking of, how do you get the offense better with a secondary piece.
Speaker 3: Confordo has a chance to do that.
Speaker 2: Yes, you would force guys like Canzone or Rali or even maybe Canforida to start facing lefties more. But I still feel like it's worth the consideration. Considering again, Michael Confordo is having a good year this year. I know his walks are down, but he is having a good year and he barrels it up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I think it would work. The other thing to note, as he's one of two giants on this list, giants are right in the thick of the wild card race right now, so it doesn't necessarily mean he would be available, but he would not cost that much.
Speaker 3: No, no, not for half a year.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: I should clarify too, in case I didn't make it clear if my Opnfordo is way older than the two of us are.
Speaker 3: I never like played him in high school or anything like that.
Speaker 2: When I was bringing up the high school thing, because he went to high school right before we were in high school. It was just he went to the secondary rival school, that's all. But but yeah, I'd be open to this. I'd be like, again, it would cause some maneuvering on the roster, and it would cause Scott's Service and Jared Depoto to have to think of some you know tweaked strategies for how to best put out a lineup every day.
Speaker 3: But if this is the guy that's.
Speaker 2: Available and you need two bats or you feel like you do one top level guy and one secondary level guy, I'm not saying it's the guy at the top of your list, but he has been otavity won't cost a lot, could be worth a thought now.
Speaker 1: Well. Some may think Michael Confordo would be the best hit of this group. I actually think the last two guys are the two best hitting options, pure hitting options that the Mariners could go out and trade for on this list of secondary options. But before we get there, guys, summer is here, and that means it's time to get out to T Mobile Park and watch thems. Want to get out, hang out with get out there, hang out with us, grab a drink and watch the game with your friends. Let game Time help you get there with killer last minute deals, all in prices, views from your seat, and the lowest price guarantee. Game Time takes the guesswork out of buying MLB tickets. The Marritors are back at home against the White Sox on Monday. When you're looking for the best deal, to get in use the game Time app. Checking it out here, looks like you can get tickets to all four games next week for under seven dollars. Get a panoramic view of your seat and toggle the all in pricing feature. You know how much you are paying and what the view is before you buy. Your purchase is covered with the most flexible customer service policy in the ticketing industry. Take the guesswork out of buying tickets with game Time. Download the game Time App, Create an account and use code just Baseball for twenty dollars off your first purchase. Terms apply again. Create an account and redeem code just basse balll just Baseball for twenty dollars off. Download the game Time app today, Last minute tickets, lowest price guaranteed. Let's go north of the border for our penn ultimate guy on this trade listlyle A catcher Danny Jansen. He's scheduled to be a free agent after this season. He's split time catching with Alejandro Kirk the last few years, and this dude mashes a one forty two WRC plus this year. He was at one sixteen last year and one forty one in twenty twenty two. This dude hits, and I honestly think this guy the value of bringing this guy over to split time with Cal Ray would be immensely valuable.
Speaker 2: He's got nearly one and a half af war in thirty three games. He's been good. He's been very good. Here's my retort, how do you manage having three catchers on the roster that all need playing time right now? It's a little bit different because yes, they have three catchers on the roster, but Sebi Zavala feels like he's been in the doghouse for a bit. He's on the roster, he's barely playing. So if you were to alter that and have Cal, Danny Jansen, and Mitch Garver all on the roster, how do you get all those guys in the lineup enough?
Speaker 1: I think this trade would make a lot more sense if Mitch Garver starts hitting the cover off the ball the next two months leading up to the deadline. Therefore, you feel very comfortable that he doesn't have to go back behind the plate, and that you can. Essentially, it's like addition by sub not even addition by subtraction, but you would manage you You could justify trading to have cow split time, and then you could swap guys out of the d H spot as you have the left handed hitting cow and then the two right handed hitters Jansen and Garver. And ultimately, while like besides the fact of taking some of the stress off of Calc, this dude just gets so beat up back there, especially as the season wears down. He's gonna need off days, He's gonna need rest days, and I think Jansen, in his one forty two worc plus can be the guy to do that.
Speaker 2: Look, there's a lot of reasons that make sense. It's another guy that would be a rental, so he probably wouldn't cost that much.
Speaker 3: I don't think the Blue Jays can get that much back for him.
Speaker 2: And I love the fact that he walks about eleven percent of the time. I love the fact that he is a fifteen percent strikeout rate guy. Talk about a boost for the Mariners in that department. It's just again, how do you manage the three catchers. You can do it, and you're right. If Mitch Garver really gets going here in the next six weeks, this conversation gets much more real. But like every guy on this roster, there is some I don't want to say hold back, but some caveat. So there is just the thought of how do you manage it all?
Speaker 1: How would you manage it on your roster? Your current roster would be really the question because Jansen's played part time pretty much his entire career, so it would be nothing new to him. That's true, not playing every single day. He's managed to be this productive, not facing pitchers every single day, which is which is remarkable. And even like Cal's like, man, you guys trade it for another catcher, It's like, well, no, Cal, knowing that Danny Janson's not going to be a Seattle Mariner next year, highly unlikely he would be a Briner next year. This would be a two month arrangement. But he swats homers, walks, doesn't strike out a whole lot. He's really a dead pole guy. Really, He's like a Brian Doser level home run hitter, pull hould fly balls, so works out. But I like this idea because I think it would benefit Cal so much to have Danny Jansen there, just take the pressure off him a little bit.
Speaker 2: So maybe you could operate like this. Cal catches behind the plate four days a week. Jansen catches three days a week, and then additionally, you get cal one DH day in addition to the four days behind the plate.
Speaker 3: Sounds right, that would probably do a lot for cal Raley, keep.
Speaker 1: Him left bang up, and that would still give Mitch Garver at least five days hitting if he's hitting right. This is contingent on Mitch Garver hitting right, because we know Mitch Garver's not getting jettisoned off the roster because he makes a lot of money. So if the backup catcher position is open and Garver's not occupying it because he's not hitting, I think Jansen makes a lot of sense. Like just if you think about it in a sense right now of how the Mariners are operating, would you rather have Sebbi Savala or Danny Jansen on the roster?
Speaker 3: Right there?
Speaker 2: You go, Yeah it's Jansen, yo, So sure, Yeah, it's a decent idea. Now, I would hope that would fire people up. If the Mariner's deadline was they traded for Brent Rooker and also traded for Danny Jansen, that's a pretty good deadline. That's two real bats that you acquired.
Speaker 1: Is it a hot take to say this would be the most realistic Toronto Blue Jays trade option.
Speaker 2: No, no, it wouldn't because the Mariners aren't gonna want to give up a huge package for either Vladdie or boushett I would assume. Now Lattie's heating up, but so is ty France. So how much the Mariners want to trade for a first basement with no defensive no defensive value, no value on the bas pads when you have a first basement playing very very well, we'll see. But for two months of Danny Jansen, two months of essentially a backup catch, how much can that even cost?
Speaker 3: Probably very little, very little.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Again, already plays half the time, right, so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, would make a lot of sense. Danny Jansen for a few years now has been the best number two catcher in baseball. There was a year that people were talking about him and Kirk as both top ten catchers, even though they split time.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So now, notice we're not talking about Alejandro Kirk because he is not played as well.
Speaker 2: No, no, he hasn't you know a guy who has played well though, last guy on the list, we saved him for last. In terms of underrated trade targets, I think this is the one we're most fired up to talk about Lamont Wade, Junior of the San Francisco Giants Late Night Lamont for the year he is he has corralled an eight ninety six ops. He's got two bombs, but don't let that fool you. One sixty eight WRC plus and an f war of nearly two. He's got a year and a half a club control. He has been the Giants' best hitter. Go look at his savant page. People, you want a fun exercise, go on to Lamont Waite's baseball savant page and pull it up, because it is We've used the term bright red kool aid on this podcast before. That's what a savant page looks like. It is bright red. So how are we feeling.
Speaker 1: Let's put to some context how good his savant page is. At the time of his tweet from Michael Fisher of CODEFI, so he listed out how many one hundred percentile stat cast rankings you have on your page? And he listed it was a ranking of players in baseball. So Aaron Judge leads all of baseball. He has nine. Juan Soto is second, he has six. Should be unfair the Yankees have top two, but is what it is. Bobby Wit and Luisa rise Eats have three and then at two the list goes show Heyo, Tani, John Carlos, Stanton O'Neil Cruz and Lamont Wade. Sounds like a group you would want to be a part of. This is the best guy on this list. Now there's a problem here, So I mentioned above with Michael Confordo. The Giants are in the playoff hunt right now. They are five hundred, a five hundred team that is right there for the third wildcard in the National League. Time will tell whether they will be there in two mounts, but the third wild card offers a lot of optimism to teams. So not only is lamont Wade under contract next year as well, meaning the Giants don't have to deal him if they don't want to, but he's also their best player. So asking a contending team to trade their best player in the middle of a playoff chase is a steep asque, and with the Giants not being pushed into a corner with him not being a free agent until after next season, the price for a platoon bat pretty much if what lamon Waite has done. He's only had twelve at bats against lefties this year, as a left handed hitter. Doesn't that seem like a little much.
Speaker 2: Here's the only thing I'd say. I know, the Giants are within a couple games of the wildcard. They're also three under five hundred and look, the NL wildcard has been awful this year, that third wildcard specifically terrible. I would be interested to see what that wildcard standings page looks like at the end of July, if anybody's gotten hot, if anybody's caught fire and created some separation.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: But if the Giants are really trying to get the last wildcard spot with a seventy eight win season, that doesn't feel like a team that's winning the World Series, that doesn't feel like a team that's getting past the wildcard round. They might get swept in two games in the wildcard round. So if they don't really they have the talent to do anything, would they really be that hesitant to trade lamont Wade. It's like the Mariners, for example, right we know why the Mariners traded policy walled last year. Some people understood it, most people understood it. There were still people that were unhappy with it out there in the Mariners world. But despite being a contending team. The Mariner still made that trade. So could the Giants be that sort of team this year? We're sure they're contending by definition, but they still go out and trade away some established players.
Speaker 1: Nothing's impossible really if.
Speaker 2: They're yeah, if they're gonna win seventy eight games, I don't see why they're so inclined to hold on a Lamont Wade.
Speaker 1: Here's a question I have. I am wondering what his value will be two months from now, because let's give some context. Right now, he's hurt. He'll probably be out the rest of this month. Right I forget exactly what he hurt, but it was a four week minimum injury the last week of May, so that puts him back on the Giants roster and a June. Also, he's been a little lucky this year. Not gonna lie. It helps that he walks twenty percent of the time. It shrinks the sample size, But his babib is over four sixty. It's a little high, it's a little a little. It just tells you that there could be there's there's some regression in this profile.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: Still doesn't mean he's not hitting the ball at the best quality possible, which he is baseball savant, says so, but I will see it doesn't because he's hitting like Barry Bonds a little bit this year does not mean he's going to keep it up when the team pays the price of what he's currently hitting and what he actually does when he arrives on his new team if he gets traded, so.
Speaker 2: He has a Grade two left hamstring strain for those that are interested him out a couple weeks, like you said, Yeah, Also, the twenty percent walk rate is crazy. Twenty percent, that's like, that's nuts. Now, that probably won't sustain. The Babbitt probably won't sustain. And there are questions of say Lamont Wade's the secondary bat you acquire, right, this will be the best secondary bat you could probably acquire.
Speaker 1: That would be a pretty insane secondary bat.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 1: I will note this is the one guy and I mentioned at the beginning, there's one guy who you could argue would be a number one bat, and it would be Lamont Waite.
Speaker 2: Okay, then if he's the only bat you acquire, if he's the headline bat you acquire, that makes this a little different. But I was gonna say, if you acquire Lamont Wade, and Brent Rooker. If you acquire Lamont Wade and Vladdie, that does make some things tough to assemble with the roster. You'd probably move on from Hanneger one way or another if you trade for an outfield bat. But then if you trade for again, if you essentially flip out, let's say Wade for Hanneger, then you've got a lot left handed bats all of a sudden. And if you were to acquire someone like Laddie, how does that work with Vladdie, Wade, Tie and Garver. So, yeah, you're right, if they were going to acquire Lamont Wade, this might be Lamont Wade might be the guy they acquire if they strike out on all the real A level bats but still want some impact at the deadline, and they settle for him because then you can manage it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so then it would be Tye, Garver and Wade. You would have to find time for it. And he's played in the outfield a little bit, so I think it's mostly been first base this year. But it doesn't mean he can't play in the outfield. You wouldn't wouldn't be great in the outfield, but could he be there?
Speaker 2: And you could get him some dhdas too, by putting Garver at the backup catcher spot or giving Garbar a day off. Yeah, you could make that work by just acquiring lamont Wade. But if you have Wade and you try to acquire another A level bat, I mean, make the team great. That would be awesome because you would get two really good bats. How the Mariners would manage that roster wise, I don't know, And and for that reason I don't. I don't know if they'd give up the prospect package that it would cost for each of those guys at once.
Speaker 1: It would cost. I think it would cost a lot to get lamont Wade out of San Francisco. I think it wouldn't cost what you would pay for Flattie. But based on where his stock is right now, yeah, I think so. All right, So I don't just to think of it like so, I don't know in the end, if you're trading for him again, I think you're right. So Garver would slide to the backup catchurle. I think lamont Wade would DH.
Speaker 2: We could some good time and get some additional Yeah, I get some additional days at first in the outfield, and you have to have them there, but probably he would mostly be dhing against right handed pitching.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, So it's just if you talk yourself into potentially sending a blue chip prospect to San Francisco for Lamont Wade because here's like this, you know, or not even all the eightier guys that we talked about are hitting like this.
Speaker 2: It's true, but you you still feel like he would cost a blue chip prospect.
Speaker 1: I don't know the Giant Again, Giants have leverage since he's not he's under contract next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, they do.
Speaker 2: I just was under the thought that it would cost somebody a little further down your pipeline.
Speaker 3: Again.
Speaker 2: Maybe I was even thinking again, somebody a little lower, like maybe like the Arroyo range, like past that first real wave of guys.
Speaker 1: It's interesting, you know, I'm honestly not sure. Like the number, I would say, the numbers in perception are very different.
Speaker 3: Yeah they are.
Speaker 2: And again, I don't know what the rest of the league values Lamont weigh at. Do Jerry and Justin want to trade for a platoon left handed bat. I don't know either. He he's complicated. I would be very, very interested. I'd be happy if they acquired him, but he is a complicated trade piece.
Speaker 1: Yeah, certainly I agree on that. So now that we've gotten to the end of this list, is there one guy if you were to circle back, that would be your number one?
Speaker 3: Are we excluding Wade out of this since he's a little different.
Speaker 1: I think yeah. I think Lamont Wade's a pretty obvious number one. Besides that, I'd probably say Danny Jansen.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about ken Porto, I was thinking about Randy, but it makes the most sense for not having to give up much at all in a trade, and the fact you get cal off his feet, and the fact you're not relying on Garber to catch, and it's a real bat with room to go. Get an a level bat because acquiring Danny Jansen should not be your headline bat. That is very much a move that you can make to augment the roster, but to really level it up, you go get another bat that's better than Jansen.
Speaker 1: I agree one percent agree. So Danny Jansen, pack your bags, You're coming to Seattle. Thank you very much, super quick. Just call to action to all of you listening.
Speaker 2: All I was gonna say is if there is anybody we left off, tell us who who is somebody under the radar you would like to see the Mariners trade for, Or who's somebody we didn't mention that you think should be on this list. Tell us now leave the A level guys off the list, because again, if you want to hear about the A level trade guys, go back two weeks ago and listen to that podcast episode. But under the radar guys, let us know, like, for example, we didn't talk about Yondi Diaz. We didn't talk about Brian de la Cruz from the Marlins. That's a name that's been floated out there a little bit. You've got some names that you have in mind that we didn't talk about. Tell us maybe they'll be on the next episode.
Speaker 1: Let's go down on the farm. All right lyle who's your standout Mariners minor leaguer?
Speaker 2: So we talked about Logan Evans at the start of the show, right and how he's transitioning to the bullpen. Mariners need some bullpen help. Here's another guy that isn't being talked about a lot right now that could absolutely help this bullpen post All Star break. His name's Troy Taylor. He's in Double A Arkansas right now. Right handed pitcher, has a fastball in the mid to upper nineties and also has a good slider. Two pitch guy twenty two years old, so young, but he is a reliever. Here's what he's done this year because he started in Everett, then he got promoted up for the year. Troy Taylor has an nine er. He's had eight outings in double A so far, has not given up a run, He's given up just two hits, and he has an eight five whip for the season. So allow me to say this again. Could the Mariners go acquire a bullpen arm? Absolutely is Logan. Evan's gonna be up on the roster, Sure seems like it now. But if you want another bullpen arm that could really provide some reinforcements to this bullpen in the second half for a team that's probably gonna need it, I would circle Troy Taylor. I would keep that eye on him because he is dominated in ever it. He's dominating right now in Arkansas. And when once you're an Arkansas especially as a reliever, you're one call away from the big leagues. There's no reason Troy Taylor can't be on this roster this year.
Speaker 1: The Mariners can monitor the trade market and look at what the price of a reliever is. But they have now too. It seems like more obvious options in house what they what they would promote. I don't know if Troy Taylor's next to come up, but hearing the way they talk about him, it seems likely that him and Logan will see some time in the pen this year. And I know Carlos Fargas last time we checked on him and Triple A is was not doing great. But I know entering the season the Mariners that thought highly of him. So like, there are still options within the system, and Troy's certainly one of them, and he is earning the respect that he's getting. It will be easier for the Mariners to call up somebody from the minor leagues to fill a bullpen spot than potentially overpay for a bullpen arm. I don't consistently say, like, I don't see Jerry overpaying for a bullpen arm. So if he wants the higher upside guy, it probably is in house, So it's gonna be Logan or Troy.
Speaker 2: Ultimately, yeah, I cannot see Jerry and Justin giving up one of their upper echelon prospects. For Ryan Helsley. That just doesn't seem like a Jerry Depoto type move.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Ryan Helsley would be fun, but yeah, very much.
Speaker 2: Could you see them giving up to somebody within their top five to six prospects for him?
Speaker 1: I couldn't, No, and I'm gonna explain why because my on the farm Mariner's number five prospect, who I can't believe we haven't talked about yet. Felnine Celeston. It is casually having an over nine hundred ops in his first twenty two pro games in the Complex League as an eighteen year old, no big deal, switch hitting shortstop, just crushing the ball, controlling the strike sown thirteen walks, seventeen strikeouts. Yeah, he's gonna be inhim Deesto soon. Just count it down. It's happening, dude.
Speaker 2: Again, I'm not gonna put comps on anybody because it's not fair, but I will say it in this way, just like how I said a couple of weeks ago with lads, the way he's hit in Modesto has looked like Jordon Alvarez, even though I'm not saying he's going to be Jordan in the big leagues. The way fell means playing in the complex league right now. He looks like Francisco Lindor, like switch hitter, shortstop power speed. He's nuts.
Speaker 1: He's a guy that would make you feel more comfortable trading one of your other shortstop prospects knowing that guy's in your system and knowing that you feel more comfortable that he's untouchable, you would be more comfortable trading someone else. Yep, which is crazy to think about all these all of these, all these shortstops in the systems. The last point here, that's kind of funny. You and I were talking about the Hanneger trade earlier today. It's like, man, wonder what Robbie Ray's doing. Well, fil Nean had a hit off of Robbie Ray earlier this week, So that's what Robbie Ray's doing right now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, says a lot about Bell nine.
Speaker 2: Let's do this one little fun exercise too before we move on, because we were talking about this, who do you think the Mariners would be least likely or least willing to part ways within a trade? The three guys, I said, like, throw out what the third party prospect systems have all that?
Speaker 3: I mean, go from your gut, what do you think.
Speaker 2: My guess is the three guys they are least willing to part with are Colt, Emerson, fel Mean, and Laz. I would say those three guys are the guys they want the most.
Speaker 1: That would be my three. Let'd say I think the top two might be a little more solidified than top three, But the top two is Cult and felnine. I like both those guys when they get in the swing of things, are cult. This week's now top fifteen prospect, filnin in a year will be a top fifteen prospect, So that's it. Laz has the issue that he's not really he's not up the middle guy and eventually we'll probably land at DH. But the other two, yeah, are pretty solid. And then I think Johnny's the one after that sure for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was gonna say that that is the thing with Laz is obviously he has to hit to have value, since he's probably not gonna play the field a whole ton in his career. Maybe he'll play first base at some point, we'll see. Maybe maybe he learns first base and can do that. But just in the sense of throwing lads in there, in the sense of if he hits and and if he projects how people are projecting him and plays like it again, that's that has the chance to be a lethal that which is why I feel like they probably.
Speaker 3: Want to keep him close.
Speaker 1: Isn't it funny how we didn't even mention two other top thirty prospects, Cole Young and Harry Ford, who are at the highest levels of the Miners right now. But the reason we didn't mention them is because whenever you and I are bringing up these trade targets, and it's like, all right, put together a package and usually and include one of those two guys. So right, not exactly untradeable unfortunately, m h.
Speaker 2: Even though yeah, though, like that's just what happens in baseball. Sometimes guys get traded. We don't know if they're going to get traded. But if you're just asking what TJ and I's guesses are for who the Mariners are most likely to hold on.
Speaker 3: To, I would guess it's it's those guys. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So, with that Russell Wilson umpire of the week time, we have some requests from the fans, from the listeners. We got some messages on Twitter this week saying, oh, the Russell Wilson ump of the Week's gonna go hard this week because we have a special shout out to Hunter Wendelstat who has been on this program before, has been on this segment before, but after his horrendous start the other night in the first inning between the Mariners and A's and in a game in which he looked like he was essentially guessing what were balls and strikes, paired with people on Twitter saying, oh, this guy has to be the winner this week. Fans spoke, we listened, He's our winner. Congratulations Hunter Wendell's.
Speaker 1: That and overall for the game, actually a solid performance, but because of that first inning, and I think there's a little bit of carryover effect from what he did to Aaron Boone that he just had to have another appearance. I think it just made it easier. Once you embarrass yourself like you did when you tossed Aaron Boone out of a game for something. A fan said, that makes your bar for appearing on this award a whole lot lower.
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, yes, it does. So.
Speaker 2: Sure there was probably some carryover, but again, paired with fans speaking and us being a podcast of the people, men of the people, we listened, Hunter Wendell's that's our winner and guess what you deserve it? Like again, he really did look like he was guessing half the time with calling balls and strikes the other night.
Speaker 1: It was not consistent.
Speaker 2: No, I do want to give a shout out though to I want to make sure I get the umpire's name right here on on Thursday for Thursday's game because this thing that happened with Brian Wu when there was uh a pitchclock violation called on him, when the homeplate umpire literally had his back turned to Wu.
Speaker 3: That was crazy. Did you pick up on that today? Yeah? I did, Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So let's make sure we get the umpire's name right because same series, it's Wendel Stat's crew. But it was Nick Marley today and Wu was pissed about it. You saw him like barking at the umpire for a good reason. He has back turned to Wu and says pitchclock violation when he didn't even have his eyes set on the picture.
Speaker 3: So shout out to you, Nick Marley.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there'll be plenty of accountability for that, that harmless mistake.
Speaker 3: There always is there always is, isn't there.
Speaker 1: Let's close out the show. Now, let's speak your mind. Speak your mind spot That would be unwise.
Speaker 3: What is necessary is never unwise.
Speaker 1: What is on your mind this week?
Speaker 3: Lyle.
Speaker 2: We talked about it for a minute before we started recording. But the NBA Finals reminds me of two things. Number One, despite us obviously wanting the Sonics back.
Speaker 3: I just I don't get juiced up for the NBA.
Speaker 2: Finals, To be honest, I watch, but I just feel like it's so watered down from how it used to be. I it just it's it's just again. For whatever reason, I don't get as excited anymore. And I got excited in years where the Sonics weren't here anymore too for a long time. It's just recent years not as much paired with Boston sports fans, or as we like to call them, massholes, remind us that they continue to just be the most insufferable fans in sports.
Speaker 1: No, yeah, I mean shit, a tear When a Boston sports team does not make a finals in any one of the four major sports in a given year. Oh so difficult, Yeah, so difficult. Welcome to reality, except there is no reality because the Celtics are in the finals right now. So and just a casual. You know, thirty pointed day won. I think Game one, they were up thirty in the first half when we hit record here.
Speaker 3: So just.
Speaker 1: A story of trial and hardship and adversity and all this stuff. Man.
Speaker 2: So my dad gave me a hard time about this back when we had Jared Carabas on, And the next time we have him on, I mean, he did say he's down to come back on, So I'm sure at some point we'll have him back on. I need to be better about calling him out for something if we hear something that's a little questionable, because well, my dad said we should have given him a hard time about and we didn't. Was when Carabas was sitting on this very program and talking about how, you know, being a Red Sox fan these days socks and it's and you know they just lose. Well, this fills this plays right into the topic we're talking about here, which like a Boston sports fans complaining that they've seen four championships in their lifetime and now for a couple of years it's been hard. Like the next time Gravi is on, I'm gonna circle back with this and I'm gonna say, like you.
Speaker 3: Know you're on a Mariners podcast, right, Like, so.
Speaker 1: You're talking about only four championships in your lifetime a couple losing to Yeah, how about five trips to the playoffs period?
Speaker 2: Ever, ever, so we love Caravas. This is this is nothing, This is no, this is this has nothing to do with Carabas. He's a friend of the pod. We loved having him on. He might be my favorite guest we've ever had on and we want to have him on a bunch more in the future. But I'm sure he'll take it well too, because he he he tosses out shit on a daily basis.
Speaker 3: So this all.
Speaker 2: Plays in the next time he's on one, I'm gonna remind him and number two Boston sports fans, especially if you're on social media seeing him watch these finals.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, it's it's terrible.
Speaker 1: I'm still like to watch the NBA Finals again, like a I'm gonna have to probably live in a more populated area with you know, like go out to a sports bar or something like. I don't know if at home, I'm gonna flip on the NBA Finals, Like the Sonics when they come back, will have to be playing in it for me. To like really care. I will. It's either that or I will have had to because the Sonics are gotten a lot more invest reinvested back in the NBA because right now, again, like, storylines are cool, but you and I both know the Celtics are like way better than the Mavericks and it showed in Game one, right, so yeah, like what what what's the mystery and the intrigue of this series?
Speaker 2: Look, I'm gonna watch, but it doesn't mean I like I watch every year. It doesn't mean I'm absolutely juiced up about it. I am a sports fan. When there's big events on I watch and and like again, I've watched, I've watched an okay'm out of the NBA playoffs this year and most years I do. But it doesn't mean I'm I'm like absolutely fired up the way I would be to watch the college football playoffs, the NFL Playoffs, the World Series obviously things like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I'm like different than you, like I have no I can count on one hand how many NBA games have watched this year. Like I'll pay attention headlines, but especially with this, I don't have time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I don't watch in the regular season but I'll watch in the playoffs.
Speaker 1: WWE on Hardwood, scripted all coming from the top.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's scripted.
Speaker 2: The best the best headlines in the NBA are the ones that happen off the court, because off the court, there's more drama than a soap opera.
Speaker 1: Which is why people are so entertained with this finals. It has nothing to do with on the court. It is literally Kyrie versus the city of Boston.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, that's what I mean. It's stuff like that that draws, which baseball could use a lot more of. To be honest, I've thought about that if there was more beef and come on, if there was beef and baseball, you don't think that would dram more eyeballs?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was being sarcast Oh.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, sorry, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: Well Tim Anderson was good, then he could beef with the city of Cleveland. But like even like yeah, like that's the example, Like what are the villains? Tommy fam is a villain in baseball right now? Like who gives a fuck about Tommy Fam?
Speaker 3: Well, don't say that, or he's gonna get ready to fight you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what does he trained in multiple multiple fighting styles in the off season.
Speaker 2: Just in case that could have been a speaker mind this week, as Tommy FAM's saying that he's gonna beat somebody up if they start anything with them.
Speaker 1: Did you notice how when he slid in, he actually walked away from the confrontation. No one was holding it back. He could have swung on someone.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I'm almost feeling while like that was just talk and not actually backing it up. Yeah, people always like to say how tough they are, but like remember, like he could have walked up and punched William Cantrure's in the face if you wanted to.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need we need show Hay or Bryce Harper to come out with some quotes in the playoffs saying whatever team they're gonna go up against is a bunch of losers or something like that.
Speaker 1: M Well, show Hey did get his publicity this year, but not in the fighting sense.
Speaker 3: And not because he wanted it.
Speaker 2: He like again show Hate coming out and saying and talking trash about another team, that's real drama. Like Show Hate did not ask for his interpreter to place all these bets.
Speaker 1: No, at least Epay knows now that he's not the worst baseball better in the world. That's true, because that title will go to the guy that just got banned for life on the padres What what what percent of it the bets did he win?
Speaker 3: Low? Yeah, something like that.
Speaker 1: That's insane.
Speaker 3: Yeah, crazy?
Speaker 1: How that should not be possible?
Speaker 3: No, no, it should not. Wow.
Speaker 1: Do you know what's even more improbable?
Speaker 3: Though?
Speaker 1: My speak your mind? Do you know where a cricket country?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 1: Do you know that? Apparently great at a lot of things here in America sports wise, especially, we have our football. We're the best at that. Were the best at football, were the best at basketball. Sometimes we're the best at hockey. Well. The fact that the US the Canada hasn't had a Stanley Cup since ninety one, Yeah, it's who were the best at hockey as well?
Speaker 2: Well?
Speaker 1: While the US beat a cricket powerhouse in the Men's World Cup Pakistan today, one of the biggest upsets in sports history. US say, US say?
Speaker 3: US say?
Speaker 2: Is this a bigger upset than when Howard beat UNLV and college football as forty five point underdog?
Speaker 3: Do you remember that?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 3: Is this bigger.
Speaker 1: In the sense of the world stage? Yeah, I don't know, in terms of like a Vegas moneyline bat I think it was only like plus six hundred. But you know, like Pakistan, India, Australia, like those are powerhouse cricket countries powerhouse like cricket. By the way, as most people know is the is the biggest sport in the world or sorry, second biggest. I think behind soccer or football, whatever you want to say. Football second biggest sport in the world. It draws enormous ratings. I think it's this. I think it even out draws the Super Bowl and American football, Like that's how big it is. And as you know, on the state of American sports, like cricket's not very high. But the fact the US beat one of the powerhouses, I mean that's like, gee, it's like the US men's national team losing to Trinidad and Tobago. Oh wait, sorry, wrong sport. That's like I want to make a joke about the Olympic the team USA basketball team who probably has has lost to some small countries recently, but I can't name those off the top of my head outside of the men's soccer one. Regardless, you get the point. Pretty historic upset today, So.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shout out cricket That's all I've got because I didn't watch it, I don't know much about it, but shout out cricket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you know that Joe that was floating around this week on the Internet where it was like showing some cricket highlights and it's like an America, like the American brain cannot comprehend this, and I forget what they someone responded with. I think it was it like a Justin Jefferson one handed catch or something like the European mind or the Australian mind can't commrahend this, something funny like that. And then this happens, so obviously we can comprehend it because we're the best.
Speaker 2: Apparently, shout out USA Cricket. That's all I've got. Like I said, like, that's about all I can contribute to this one.
Speaker 1: One of the Team USA's top players is his full time job. He's like a principal engineer at Oracle, like a software company. Like software employees beat Team Pakistan.
Speaker 2: It's like how they say Babe Ruth used to dominate against Milkman in baseball who had off season jobs. But oh wait, he's actually Babe Ruth's not real, so no he didn't right exactly. So yeah, all right, that just about wraps up this edition of the Marine Layer Podcast. You guys know the drill. We want to listen to the full form podcast. You can do so wherever you get your audio pods, make sure to download, make sure to leave us a five star review, leave a written review, and if you're watching on YouTube, make sure to like, comment and subscribe. Check us out on social media too. You can find us wherever you're on socials on Instagram, TikTok, Twitter, YouTube shorts at marine Layer Pod.
Speaker 3: That's TJ. I'm Lyle. As always, we thank you guys for tuning in. We'll talk to you soon.