Speaker 1: Okay, guys, here are my dates for the High and Mighty Tour. In August, you can find me in Red Bank, New Jersey, Montclair, New Jersey, and Calgary that's Canada. And September I will be in Santa Barbara, San Diego, New York City, Philly, and New Haven, Connecticut. October is Atlanta, Baltimore, Saginaw, Michigan, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Boise, Idaho and Spokane. And then in November I'll be in San Francisco. I'm coming to Salt Lake City, Austin, Houston, Dallas Babies, I'll be there. And then in December I am closing out my tour in Denver and Vancouver. So get your tickets at Chelseahandler dot com for the High and Mighty Tour. Hello Catherine, Hi, Chelsea.
Speaker 2: Are you fluent in Spanish yet?
Speaker 1: I am doing pretty well. I mean, my driver in New York's named Rafa and he speaks Spanish and he cannot believe how much I've improved in two weeks.
Speaker 2: Oh fantastic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he didn't know I went to school in Spain, so I told him in Spanish and he was like, and then he started and then He's like, oh my god, I'm not gonna be able to correct you anymore. And I'm like, oh, don't worry, You'll find a fucking way and then of course within it. But yeah, he was really impressed. And also a couple of people I work with where I was talking Spanish with, so I definitely understand a lot more and I know a lot more. I'm not fluent, but I am definitely way better than I was when I out there. So that's exciting.
Speaker 3: I notice you've been improving with your like low and lot like the I think it's the possessive stuff.
Speaker 2: I mean, you're crushing it.
Speaker 1: I just I loved my time alone. It felt like I was a mother away from her children, even though I don't have children. I just walked to school every day by myself with my little rucksack. And then I mean, I don't have a rucksack, but I just wanted to throw that out there. And then I already had like a group of doctors. By day three, I was getting a massage and then I was like, oh, I need to get this kind of dry needling they had this. Madrid is such a beautiful city. So many of my friends were coming through Madrid unbeknownst to me, so that was a surprise. I'd go to school for three hours, my teacher only, my professora only spoke Spanish, and then after that I would take myself to some ridiculously delightful lunch, have like two glasses of wine, and then I'd walk through the streets of Madrid. It was heaven on earth.
Speaker 3: How lovely You're just like, fill your life with whimsy's.
Speaker 1: I just loved it. I just was so happy. Everyone at the hotel was like they kept testing me on my Spanish day three, day four, and I was like Eloise at the plaza. I just was like, I was just so happy. I love I just belong in a hotel.
Speaker 4: Aha.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. How did your blind date go? By the way, did that materialize?
Speaker 1: I don't think I went on a blind date.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: I was set up with people like friends, not like in a romantic matter.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: I didn't even think about men. Honestly. There was one guy that was trying to hit on me once. I was in the bar at my restaurant and I was like, is this guy hitting and he was. I mean, he's to have been twenty years old and he was like seriously trying to stray, and I was like, I was like, at one point I wanted to go. I meant to say, like not signor but whatever the other word for it is in Spanish, but I couldn't think of what it was. I was about to call him like boy, and then I'm like, don't call him boy. That's not right either. But I wanted to be like, I could be your mother. Get away from me. I'm not interested in that. I like young boys, I mean not, I like young men. I don't. I don't like young boys, you know what I mean? Like, it's got to be something like in the appropriate ag urge. Not interested anyway. I'm home now, I'm in New York City and we have a great episode today. You know this actress, she was adorable from Glass Onions, Stranger Things, and her hit series which is now in its final season, Outer Banks. Please welcome Madeline Kleine. Oh my god, we have Madeline Klein here today. Hi, Cutie, ptuity, fresh and fruity. What were you talking about? You're talking about snowboarding?
Speaker 2: Yeah so, I so we were talking about how wake poarding makes you feel like you can absolutely snowboard because it's kind of the same thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, I understand this. Yes, I had a very easy time wagsurfing the very first time I did it. I think I got up on the first time I did too. Have you been water skiing? No, okay, that's much more hard. That's much more.
Speaker 2: Difficult, especially when they do it on like the one ski.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can't do that.
Speaker 2: That's insane.
Speaker 1: I can't water ski period. And I can snow ski really well, but I can't water ski.
Speaker 2: I just know I would wipe out and like break every bone in my face.
Speaker 1: It feels like if one of your legs goes in the wrong direction, all your dog breaks. Oh you're great, and it does, it does. It's not pretty where you wipe out.
Speaker 2: No, So I went snowbarning for my birthday in twenty twenty one, I think.
Speaker 1: And I like the way you said twenty one twenty one. Thank you.
Speaker 2: It's Christian. I'm trying to enunciate more because a lot of times I just so, I've been on I've been on like red carpet interviews, and I go back and I rewatch it and I'm like, I sound so drunk, and then I'll like, look at the comments and they're like, oh, our girls gone, and I'm like, I really wasn't maybe had a glass or two before that gone.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I'll record a stand up set that I'm doing and I always have a drink before I go on stage, obviously, and I yeah, of course, and I then I look and then I'll watch it and think and like I'll be like, oh, clip that for socials to my social team, and then they'll send it to me and I'm like, oh my, I'm like, look for this area when I'm talking about this, and I'm like, my god. But there's just like an as soon as yeah, because if I don't have a drink, I talk too fast, I talk like this, I have to take it down.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I don't, if I don't have a drink or beta blocker bone.
Speaker 1: Right or beta blacker, I take beta blackers as well.
Speaker 2: I get so scared and so anxious and I'm like and then I'm like what I'm saying is so stupid. And then I just to.
Speaker 3: Be fair, some of those questions are stupid.
Speaker 2: Like.
Speaker 1: Who are you wearing? That's the stupid question.
Speaker 2: I know. I hate that.
Speaker 1: It's like why do also have to talk about that?
Speaker 2: Who cares.
Speaker 1: I mean, well, I mean some people, the designer does care, so that's for their but like sometimes it's just not I don't know, it doesn't always feel like an appropriate question.
Speaker 2: No, because it's like the designer obviously does care, but like for the majority of the people watching, I don't think it's really like the most.
Speaker 1: Most important thing. And also when we post it, you give credit to who you're wearing. Anyway, it's just a silly conversation to have.
Speaker 2: I agree, it's like also a really weird opener.
Speaker 1: And then you're away. It's my wedding, obviously I'm wearing You're away. I've been married multiple times, oh my god, yeah seven seven. I've never been married. Oh and I will never be married.
Speaker 2: I think that's chic. I know.
Speaker 1: I think it would be cute to get engaged, yeah, and just stay engaged and keep having engagement parties.
Speaker 2: I'm just like, just give me the fucking ring.
Speaker 1: But do you need the ring from some man? I mean, can't you buy your own ring?
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I don't really feel like paying for it.
Speaker 1: If he will, right, okay, I copy you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Then I can go some of my money like another ring.
Speaker 1: You've never been married. You're too young to be married.
Speaker 2: I've never been old for you.
Speaker 1: Twenty eight, twenty eight, okay, that's not too young.
Speaker 2: To the other day, so well, someone asked me my age, and I was like, twenty six or twenty seven. Wait, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Did you forget or you just oh, you did.
Speaker 2: Genuinely forgot, And I'm not even I'm neither twenty six nor my twenty seven. I'm actually twenty eighty eight. But I actually forgot, and I had to go and do the math because I just did you.
Speaker 1: Do the math? You went and I came. You went back to the you were born and counted back.
Speaker 2: Seven eight and I went one hundred. I just genuinely stopped caring. I think about which birthday it was after twenty five, twenty fifth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you'll care again at thirty, and then thirty five and then forty.
Speaker 2: I'm excited about thirty.
Speaker 1: It's gonna get better and better and better, so you have nothing to worry about. Life gets better as a woman. The more experience you have being a woman, the better it gets.
Speaker 2: Like the closer I get to thirty is I can feel my court is all dropping. It's awesome. I'm like, okay, great, I'm getting less stressed.
Speaker 1: That's a good I'm mad for something.
Speaker 2: Making it for a day to block. I really I really need to, Like I need to invent something. I need to invent a brand. Maybe I can do something. Maybe that's my ad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's a good tagline for whatever your ad is. The closer I get to thirty, I can feel the cord is all dropping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm like, well, then I wonder how thirties are gonna I'm gonna have zero cord is all at all.
Speaker 3: That's the thing like, as you age, you kind of like care less about what other people think.
Speaker 2: You become more of yourself and I think they're awesome.
Speaker 3: You have to take an active role in that a little bit too, But I think it also just happens as you age.
Speaker 1: So are you a millennial or No, You're not a millennial, You're gen Z.
Speaker 2: I'm like a millennial gen Z cuss cusp. Yeah, so but I feel like I am technically gen Z. But I feel like sometimes I do millennial things like the millennial pause that everyone like flames millennials for doing, like like when you go on Cameo and you get a cameo from like Jax Taylor, and he's like, you can tell he like.
Speaker 1: Not that you've done that.
Speaker 2: No, I have it, but I've seen someone else's and and he like is recording and it's like literally three seconds where he's just waiting for it to start. Oh, I have I have done that. It's embarrassing. I did get a cameo from Boston rob.
Speaker 1: I've never gotten a cameo for someone. Yeah, but people seem to like that as a gift.
Speaker 2: It's it's really funny. I think as a gag gift.
Speaker 1: Yeah, absolutely, not as a serious gift, no, like an ironic yeah, because usually the people who are giving you're providing the cameos, are you know.
Speaker 2: They're it's the Jacks Taylor's of the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean no, it's that's not gonna sound good. However, I try to clean up, so never mind, I'll just step right go rotten hail. Anyway, sign up for cameo. Everybody get a cameo, get a cameo account, or maybe.
Speaker 2: Maybe we could do a one for someone together, you and me.
Speaker 1: I would love to do they can.
Speaker 2: Do one for Boston Rott.
Speaker 1: Wish we should create the next level of cameos cameo plus for more legitimate.
Speaker 2: People, it's like Ryan for cameo cameo exactly.
Speaker 1: What is your biggest dating deal breaker?
Speaker 2: I feel like sometimes when you're in a relationship with someone, especially when it's new, I'm like, I'm always like I feel like I'm being pranked because there's like you hit like a certain month mark and all of a sudden they start being mean or.
Speaker 1: They start being real. Yeah, right, you start to see them like they're real. Do you think that month mark is how many?
Speaker 2: I feel like it's like it's always been kind of like three for me. Yeah, if I even make it that far, like because I feel like I'm always away like on right working, so I feel like it usually expedites that process.
Speaker 1: Yes, well, I feel like it's kind of similarly. I also date like a lot of long distance people, so it takes longer to get to that three month mark. So it usually happens around the five or six month mark. True, where you start to see more than you saw in the beginning, totally, where it's not all sunshine and roses. Yes, What is something that somebody would have to do to ike you out in a dating scenario.
Speaker 2: The problem is, like I get the eggs so easily. Me too. I'm like, what's the littlest thing you've gotten a neck from? I like like mouth breathing, like closeure mouth.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't like when it's somebody a man, says they're going to go take care of something and then they come back empty handed.
Speaker 2: I don't like that either.
Speaker 1: Like even if it's just like if we're out of function and then we can't find the bar and I'm like, okay, you need to go get us the drinks. Yeah that's where, and they're like I couldn't get it, and it's like, no, that's not an option.
Speaker 2: Use your brain.
Speaker 1: You have to can't come back empty handed. It doesn't have to be only alcohol focused either. I just want to make this clear. I don't know, it has to be task focused. If you're getting me something, yeah, get the job done and don't come back until you've got it done, because like I would never if you needed something and I said I was gonna get it, I would come back with it.
Speaker 2: Or just like okay, so this maybe wasn't like a relationship thing. But like on the same note, it's like when people don't like use like their brain or common sense to like solve a problem.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Like I was on a trip one time and the person I was on the trip with like, we were our like our tickets to like this one, our tickets are the QR code was not scanning, and then like they just stood there and I was like, go go to the ticket like wait, go talk to someone, and they were like, I just don't know what to do. And I'm like, so I had to sprint to the offices, like try to express what was going on. The boat was about to leave, and it was just like it's just I don't like feeling like I have to do everything.
Speaker 1: I think women in general are feeling this place. We are exhausted.
Speaker 2: I'm exhausted by.
Speaker 1: Being so efficient. Yes, what I get done in the first two hours of my day would rival what any man I've ever dated gets done in.
Speaker 2: Productive like yeah, so like and I mean.
Speaker 1: Efficient though yeah, not only productive efficient multitasking. Okay, there's eighteen emails. I'll get them all taken care of before I get going, and so like when when you like, I once stated a guy who didn't answer emails, he didn't look at emails and I was like, what do you mean you to look at emails. You're a professional. He's like, I only operate through texts.
Speaker 2: I respond better to texts. I actually, no, I take it back. I'm really bad at text I'm phone call like, like pick up the phone.
Speaker 1: I'm curious about people who are bad a texting because that is like the most immediate like way to communicate. And it's on your.
Speaker 2: Phone, right, yeah, it's and it's coming up on my phone. And the thing is, I am so like there's so many things happening at one time that like I see it and I'm like, okay, I'm going to respond to that, so I don't open it. And then by the end of that, by the time I have like a chance or remember to look, there's like ten more I see and I get so overwhelmed. Okay, and so I end up usually like calling.
Speaker 1: But you just said you don't like phone calls. No, I do, Oh you do like phone calls.
Speaker 2: I prefer because I feel like that is I don't know, my thumbs get tired. I like that a phone call like to respond to a text.
Speaker 1: I think that is nice. I mean, you can't ever get mad at a phone call. Unless you're me and you do get mad at phone calls, but I've actually more tapped a phone calls. Yeah, I don't like a surprise face time, Like I don't like, but I need you to like preliminarily discuss that with me or give me a heads up, like I'm going to face and the people who FaceTime me are whackad's Like I'm like, I'm not just answering a random FaceTime but I've grown like I've kind of gotten more okay with FaceTime. I don't like the act of sitting there and holding a phone for that one. You know, that's the right. So like when you're talking the phone, you can put an AirPod in and walk through the airport, Like I'm not going to walk through the airport.
Speaker 3: On a face efficiency, Yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: I want to be on the phone and also doing me doing other things.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's fair. I understand that. I just feel like I always feel like I'm able to convey information much more, much clear, much more clearly if it is me just my stream in my stream of consciousness, like okay, and oh in this thought, in that thought, and I feel like sometimes over email or text I can't quite.
Speaker 1: Do that as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I understand.
Speaker 1: Do you have like a group of girlfriends or are you like a best friend kind of girl? Like?
Speaker 2: What's your I have a group, so it's I wouldn't say it's like a girl group, but I guess it's just a bunch of people.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had a really bad friendship breakup? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I've had a couple.
Speaker 1: Really Yeah, And how do you handle that?
Speaker 2: It's really gnarly.
Speaker 1: It's gnarly for anyone. I was. I say this, I was at dinner with a girlfriend last night and we were talking about it. We had the same breakup with the same girlfriend, and we didn't know, and so she and so then we went to dinner when we found out that's good and we just sat there.
Speaker 2: And lie so much. Was it like for the same reason?
Speaker 1: Yes, So that was like very because it was like we both it was both unveiled that the same person did the same thing. And I already knew that because I've been around this town. I know a lot of the same we know, and but it was very It felt like we were little girls in a sense, because you know, I'm a charger than you obviously, and you kind of want to get out of the habit of like gossip, but it didn't feel like gossip. It felt like therapy. I felt being seen and validated, Like, oh, I was exactly right in what I deduced, but it took me so much longer than it took her to figure out what was going on.
Speaker 2: Right. Also, like, it's not gossip if you're just spreading awareness.
Speaker 1: That's a great line too, that's for your other brand. It's not gossip if you're spreading awareness. My driver the other day said to me, it's not gossip, because I said the same thing about this conversation to him. I go, it was like he said, it's not gossip if it's information. That's a thing you know, Actually, because there is a way, there is a way where you can get with your friends, whether they're your guy friends, girlfriends, whatever, where it can be nasty and you're talking about someone.
Speaker 2: It can be malicious. Yes, that is that to me, like is toxic and bad, bad.
Speaker 1: And a bad habit to get into on the regular.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, Like there's no reason to say nasty things about people if there is something that needs to be conveyed then and if you're just telling the truth then like if they get mad at it, then they shouldn't have done it. Mm hmm, but I lost your.
Speaker 1: Train of thought.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: Well. Luckily we're on the phone and not texting, so I can pick up the conversation for you. But I do I think that's a good way to exp because there is a way to do something meanly, and then there is a way to just send somebody a warning like hey, just so you know, I know that person, and this is how that goes. And sometimes people are on the exact same page as you and you could.
Speaker 2: Just know they are, yeah, and you know that they're also not saying anything in it like to paint anyone in a bad light.
Speaker 1: So when you do have like a friendship breakup or any like experience that you've had, how do you handle that situation?
Speaker 2: Honestly, I feel like sometimes they are worse, if not the for me, they I think both times were worse than an actual breakup, Like, yeah, that is the worst thing ever, and.
Speaker 1: Because it's you know why, because it's like there's a sisterhood and that betrayal is more unexpected than that betrayal from a.
Speaker 2: Guy totally, and with friendship breakups, I don't know. I think I just like have to fully, like completely remove myself.
Speaker 1: But do you do you let the person know like this relationship is over, or do you ghost them.
Speaker 2: I've not ghosted in this in this particular instance with a friendship breakup, but like I also, it's happened two times. The first time was something I fucked up and I did something bad, and I spoke to her and I was like, I'm really sorry and I did something really bad and if you can't forgive me, I would. I totally appreciate it, but I also understand if you won't, and I'm sorry. And the other time it happened where it was done to me and I have it's like it's not ghosting, but I'm trying to figure out how to have like the conversation I see right, you know, because it's like it's just as painful.
Speaker 1: Well, I think that's something you learn too. You get better at as your age. I think you get better at like break breakups all all across the board because you you just realize that's kind of part of life, and your expectations not fade as you get older, but your expectations just aren't where they are when you're like idealizing things like when you meet a guy when you're in your twenties, it's a different expectation and romanticizing of a relationship than it is if you're meet you meet someone at my age, like you're like, oh, that'll be a fun fling for a few months, or like, oh this guy will be fun. Let's see what he's got. You know, there's like an adventurous spirit, but it's not like I'm tying myself to the end result of it. Sure, So congratulations for this is season five of Outer Banks?
Speaker 2: Where done?
Speaker 1: And how does that make you feel?
Speaker 2: I'm really really proud of of everyone, and I mean, it's crazy that we had a show that went for five seasons, because that's impressive. And I'm also I'm happy, you know, it's it's time to close the book, and I think it's bittersweet, but I think and I but I think everybody knows and everybody is like appreciative of how and when we've decided to cut it off. We've told all the story and they made me pregnant, you know, that's when it show's done.
Speaker 1: I like the idea they made you pregnant. I like that sentence they made like a group of men did it problematical? Yeah, that would be problematical, which.
Speaker 2: Definitely was not my favorite character development.
Speaker 1: It wasn't you weren't happy about that?
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 2: I was like, it was like, I don't want to wear the belt, Like I don't want to wear those heavy like in the South Carolina summer where like the heat index gets like one hundred and ten.
Speaker 1: Yeah. When I was watching that show, I was just thinking to myself in my sinister, well cynical way. It's a cynical way. I was like, and tell me if this is true, because I've never felt film to anything in that climate, but to be on an island seems like a nice idea, but the filming aspect is probably not that nice. Being in the sun all fucking day long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is it. I mean when we were in Barbados, it was like, I don't know, it was both at the same It was so beautiful and so I mean a lot of our locations are stunning.
Speaker 1: And so windy. Sometimes we have.
Speaker 2: To re record sound for all of those. Oh.
Speaker 1: I was thinking there was so much wind in some of the scenes that I'm like, how can they even hear each other on the set?
Speaker 2: Eventually I have to stop down for I know, especially when we're having like a really like intense scene in conversation and like maybe my my psychotic brother comes into the scene and then everyone it's like yelling at each other and then like I don't know, Dad's dying and it's just like your hair's in your face. It's like it feels it starts to feel very like Scooby Doo as like it becomes a little like silly. It's like, okay, like what what else.
Speaker 1: I like the way that you handle people's responses to your growing over the course of five years or five seasons, like your body, your face, the way you look, And I liked your response to that. It's like, yeah, because I'm getting older and like things have changed.
Speaker 2: Experiences different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm eating different things. I have been through breakups. I've been through all of those things. Like you have changed as a person over the course of five years. Of course you're going to start to look different after five years.
Speaker 2: Totally, or like you go through breakups, or like you find like comfort and food or like I don't know, right, like we're always changing, Yeah, like drinking sometimes or like unhealthy habits, or you're not going to the gym or I don't know, you're on your period. Like it's just but it's always like insane, like people's to me, people's fascination with especially women's bodies, and like I mean, thanks, what, but like so shut the fuck up. Have you like major peace with that?
Speaker 3: Like how like being the subject of sort of this endless online fascination.
Speaker 2: I've made my peace with it. I've also like I also just accept that, you know, my body, like my body reflects what whatever is going on with me, and so I understand that sometimes it's going to change. And and it's also like carried me through everything that I've been through, and I'm like healthy and alive because of it. So I also, you know, like if people can make comments about it, I.
Speaker 1: Don't care, Like yeah, I mean, I mean just in like being even like say we just take this podcast like there I will see comments as like oh my god, look at all her plastic surgery. And I'm like, first of all, I was hung over that day, you know what I mean, Like, like my face can be literally like twice the size that it is. Some days I have cheekbones, some days I don't.
Speaker 2: My face was the first place it shows I.
Speaker 1: Mean, it's like, are you I'm a woman, I have completely different every single day. Like it's the lighting, it's what you like when you eat, Like I mean, for two episodes, I looked orange and I'm like, why am I so orange?
Speaker 2: And then we realized that.
Speaker 1: Coming down literally the curtains that are orange and are refracting off of me or I'm refracting off. But it's so ridiculous that you don't understand that people look like I mean, when I was on when I had a talk show, it was every single day and I could look vastly different day to day, you know what I mean. I don't think people quite understand that all of the stuff is not reflective also of how you look in real life, like all of the camera stuff adds stuff.
Speaker 2: And also the camera like the way it magnified like any and everything it possibly can. And that's how like when we were shooting seven years of Outer Banks and been through so much, but like from season to season, I look so different and it's reflective of like what I was going through and like and that's okay, but people would make comments about it, and at first it bummed me out, but I'm like, yeah, you know, but also they're making us like we were. We would have to wear like crazy like faked tans, and then they you know, lots of like makeup and silicon belly and also like I wasn't an automatic to wear mascara, and there was no there was nothing. They didn't want anything to make us look like no concealer. They didn't want any any like pretty makeup because why they wanted us to look supernatural and sweaty and dirty and so like. So automatically it's like, well they're they're not setting us up for success for people to make nice comments about them. We were already at a disadvantage.
Speaker 3: I have always wondered this when you're out in the sun all day and you're on set, like what is the sunblock situation? Are there people slathering you? Like how is that working?
Speaker 2: I mean there's spray obviously, like the spray sunscreen was king because and then we would put like a foundation on, but it was so hot we would just sweat it off. Yeah, so just re spraying. But also the bug situation was so bad. So when we were laying our splearing ourselves with spray sunscreen and deep and we all its sound so bad.
Speaker 1: I know that deep stuff smells so bad. It's like I think I would rather be fried by the sun. Well, I don't know the bugs. I'm trying to think which which element is more annoying because the bugs are so annoying.
Speaker 2: There's so bad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but then the sun can kill you. The bugs can't really kill you. I mean they could carry I don't know.
Speaker 2: The bugs in South Carolina are kind kind of like you're kind of meddle as fuck.
Speaker 1: I was like, is that a phrase? I don't know about? Middle So, you've dated a lot of people. You've dated a DJ, you've dated an actor, you've dated a musician, if you dated a comedian, sure, yeah, So is there anyone that you would never date again, any type of career that you would never date again? Or is there a career choice out there of somebody you wouldn't date, Like, would you date a finance guy?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't think I would.
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't think I could.
Speaker 1: Unless they were bringing like huge amounts of cash.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, okay, actually maybe yeah maybe. So I wouldn't say like never again to any of them. But I do think, you know, after a while, I was like maybe like maybe this industry is a little gnarly for dating. Sure, like maybe I should look elsewhere, so I you know, maybe that lends itself to a finance guy, but or.
Speaker 1: Just somebody that's not in the business. The reason why we everyone in the business dates other people in the business is obviously because of proximity. Like those are the people you meet, and those are the people you're around the most. That's why I feel like it's so important to have a real life, you know, like outside of work, so that you can meet real people and normal people. But then it's really hard for those normal people to kind of assimilate to the lifestyle because the lifestyle is not like movable or manageable. It's like refra shoot dates like those are non negotiable. You don't know how long you're going to work each day, and there's no room.
Speaker 2: For like that's the thing. It is, Like I have also dated people who weren't in the industry in an effort to fix that problem. But that was the problem, or fix the problem of dating. And then yeah, and then and then I got annoyed because I felt like I was having to explain everything. I'm like, this is just my job and also this is my life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had a similar situation where I recorded a podcast. This is a guy I dated a couple of years ago. I recorded a podcast. It was before I had met him, and I was just talking about how great it is to be single. And they held the podcast for a couple of months, and then the podcast came out after he and I had gone public, and he couldn't wrap his head around the fact that I had recorded a podcast it was old, and he's like, why would you talk about the guys? And I was like, because that's what I was doing before I met you. And he couldn't wrap his head around the fact that the podcast had been recorded months ago and they just released it like he thought it was live.
Speaker 2: So that also happened to me one time where I like made comments before like you know, we had you know, become official official, and then in the timing of the release of those comments was really bad, like really gnarly for him. But I like, I explained, I explained everything, but you know, just it still felt like he was still just not happy, and I'm like, I don't I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Are you someone that looks too like do you think about yourself in the future. Do you think about being married, Do you think about having children? Is that something you care about?
Speaker 2: I do. I think it's you know, I think they're all fun things to think about. But the idea of childbirth really terrifies me. Really, Yeah, because I was only like, only last year did I learn like really gnarly details about childbirth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, childbirth seems like something that the less you know about it going in better.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a girl on TikTok who has a list. So when women go on to TikTok and tell their birthing stories and she gets really specific, it cuts to this girl writing down a list and there's like three hundred reasons she has so far of why not she does not want to have a baby. So I like to think about all these things. But, like we were saying earlier, I mean, I'm just like marriage, sure, but just give me the right.
Speaker 1: Yeah you said that now twice that you want the ring so hopefully because it's sparkly. Yeah, I get it, I get it. I understand people want rings and jewelry. Girls like jewelry, love jewelry. Do you still I heard something when I was doing my research on you that you felt like you had imposter syndrome in this business, which I hear all the time from everyone, which I've also felt. Do you feel that way still?
Speaker 2: I do. I feel like I'm getting a lot more comfortable in my skin, but I do still feel like. I just went and shot a movie with jud Appatite, and it was it was the best time I have truly ever had.
Speaker 1: Shooting, and that's nice.
Speaker 2: It was really fun. But it's the first time I've legitimately done comedy, and I've always wanted to, but I was just once it was once we were in prep and once you know, we were getting scripts, I it's like, oh my god, I don't know. I don't I don't know. Maybe I'm not funny, Like just like I don't, I don't think I'm maybe are they sure they've got the right girl? And then you know, also I was playing a singer and then so there with that also came a lot of movement and vocal training, which was very cool. But I was so afraid that on the day I was going to walk on and just like be a fraud. Right, So yes, I still get it badly. But then but then like once, once we started getting into our flow state then it went away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean the singing part is scary too. I have to see it because are you a natural singer?
Speaker 2: You know? Eric petrou Had did some like miracle work ye on me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you can get almost anybody to be able to like at least hold a tune, which is what I carry. So I can't even refer.
Speaker 2: I think I feel like I've said that too, hold a tune. Are we both wrong?
Speaker 1: I think, But I mean it's the same idea. Yeah, it doesn't really matter semantics.
Speaker 3: Is there anything that you're like, you know, talking about trying comedy for the first time. Is there anything that you are you want to do in the future but you are scared to do.
Speaker 2: I think I think comedy was really scared of because it's hard. It's not like, yeah, you can't just make something funny like you. It either is or it isn't. And it's also I think in like a comedy movie, like all four wheels have to be hitting the ground, everyone has to be like kind of throwing their fastball. And so that was really scary. But I would love to do more. We had the best time. I would love to do action. We do a lot of action on outer banks. I think that's fun.
Speaker 1: And how do you like about that?
Speaker 2: Because it kind of makes me feel a little badass.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So I think it'd be really fun to do more. And I think comedy is also really closely related to horror, and like camp camp horror, which I think is really sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did you grow up watching?
Speaker 2: I grew so Actually I wasn't allowed to watch horror growing up. But the very first horror movie I did see, which is actually a comedy, were the scary movies?
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, those are hard to miss. Yeah, there's another one that just came out.
Speaker 2: Yes, and then and then I think, like, oh, and then the first real horror movie I watched I think was Insidious too.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I saw that.
Speaker 4: I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not into horror as much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, have you done any horror? I did? I know what you did last summer that was like slasher?
Speaker 1: What's the difference between slasher and horror?
Speaker 2: Like slasher slasher horrorse like like there's this there's a deranged serial killer on the loose who's gonna get you, And it's probably like your ex boyfriend's uncle for some reason, and he was like.
Speaker 1: You know, it's very heightened, even more than horror, Like yeah, like right, like horror is gonna like really scary you, whereas like Slasher is like a rump with scary themes.
Speaker 2: Yes, and that's that's what we did, which was really fun. I enjoyed that very much. My favorite thing too, it is like when you're when we were making a horror movie and like something in the take would go wrong or the timing would go off, it would immediately turn it into Scooby Doo and like really funny, like where you know you're running. They're running down the hallways and they miss each other and it's it was really funny because I'm like, oh wait, this could so easily become hilarious. It just which I guess is what they like do in a scary movie.
Speaker 1: But what about lying? Are you good at lying?
Speaker 2: What a terrible liar? You are a terrible liar.
Speaker 1: It's an actor, You're a bad liar?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Is it acting?
Speaker 1: Just lying?
Speaker 2: But the thing is like when I'm when I'm lying, I don't believe myself. And when I'm acting, I'm like I have to have to believe what's coming out of my mouth, or I just will start over.
Speaker 1: How did you discover that you were bad at lying?
Speaker 2: I think it was pretty early on. I specifically remember my mom one time asking me if I had done my reading for the day, like my twenty minute reading for school, and she was like, when did you finish? And I was like this. I was also really young too. I wasn't this stupid, but I said, at three seventy two.
Speaker 1: That is stupid. That's funny. I'm like, i feel like I was a good liar, but I'm sure I probably wasn't. I don't like to lie, just because my lies would turn into these volcanic eruptions, like I wouldn't just tell a lie, I would like double mouth the lie, and then they were like three other people involved, and like the things that people could easily check, and then just like basically implicate other people, like I would basically implicate people that weren't involved in it at all. So you're basically dragging everyone down with you. And my friends would be like, why didn't you just say like you're not in the mood, you know, like why do you involve everyone else? Why are you involving so many people in your lives, Like why are they so multi levels?
Speaker 2: Go to dinner because my best friend's dog died.
Speaker 1: And then yeah, I was once trying to get a rid of a guy. We were in Barcelona and I was on a date and I was trying to I mean, this guy flew to Barcelona to meet me, right, I had a bunch of friends there. We were there, and then as soon as I saw him, I was like, oh no, no, this is not going to happen. And then I made up a friend. I made up a fake character, I made up a wedding, I made up I It was right after that Vicki Christina Barcelona movie came out, so I kept calling her Vicki Christina my cousin, and I was like, she's getting married in Barcelona and we actually have to go buy her some wedding shoes right now?
Speaker 2: Is crazy.
Speaker 1: And my friend was watching me and was like you were And we ended up running into them at the hotel when we were supposed to be at the wedding. This guy came out and flew out with his friend. We thought when we said it was a wrap and I was going to the wedding, that he would go back to London where he came from. But he came back and stayed there and we got caught red handed. And as I saw him, I just I was like, don't no matter what. And they're like, Chelsea, shut up, like you are caught red handed because saying no matter what, we are still going to the wedding. Just keep this story. Yeah, so I can't. So I don't lie just because I mean, because you're I do sometimes, but I do. I when I when I think about lying, I'm just like, just it's just so much easier to tell the truth totally. Don't implicate other people and just say the truth.
Speaker 2: I know. But that's the thing is, like I I also do the I I just tell the truth. I am such a confessionalist that sometimes I give people too much information and then it actually does throw people under the book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm with you. That's what I do out of doing that or or stunt in my careerd cbd.
Speaker 3: I actually have a listener question that's all about how to lose a guy.
Speaker 2: So maybe we just transition. Oh okay, you ready for some advice question?
Speaker 1: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, this one's just an email, but Meg says dear Chelsea. I'm a thirty two year old female. I recently escaped a five year relationship, and I find myself getting into pickles with men I'm not interested in.
Speaker 1: Pickles? Is an interesting This.
Speaker 3: Is interesting specifically men I'm acquaintances with and see on a regular basis work neighbors. When they ask to spend time with me, I regrettably agree on the spot because I'm not sure how to reject them politely. I then struggle to either reject them later or I avoid them.
Speaker 1: Like the plague.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't owe them anything, but the fact that there are people that I will continue to see on a regular basis and the desire not to make anyone feel bad it makes it hard to say no. I need a blueprint on how to handle these situations on the spot, because they usually happen when I'm not expecting it and when I've got my friendly coworker or neighbor mask on.
Speaker 1: Thanks Meg, Wow, So these are people that she's gonna see again.
Speaker 3: I want to hang out like a coworker, it's a neighbor, it's a somebody you see regularly.
Speaker 1: Oh. Because I have a good answer for people, you'll never see again. You can just you're having a terrible outbreak. That usually ends the conversation right away. But I think what's a good way to shut someone down if you're not interested in a nice way? Because I do think it's important to not leave people hanging and holding off for hope. So I mean, and if you're saying you have a you can't lie and say you already have a boyfriend or a girlfriend. They're gonna if you're gonna if these are recurring characters. But you can say I just actually started seeing someone, and then that could fall apart. It's new, Yeah, it's new, And then that way it doesn't have to come to fruition, right good. I mean, I think that's a decent way. Another thing you can do is just say I'm so sorry, but I'm totally not even looking at you in that way or feeling anything in that way, so I don't even want to I mean, I know that's a little it sounds hard to say, but there's a succinct way to say that, to say, like, I really want to keep it perfect. Especially if you work with them, you can always use that as an excuse to be like, I really don't want to mix work with pleasure. I've had a bad experience in the past totally, or you could say I yeah, you could say that, and then the only problem with that is if you start dating a different co work, but at that who gives a ship? But I'm a fan of telling people letting people down at night, like like I'm just saying being because so many people ghost, so many people, yes, and I think that's kind of really fucked up. It fucks with people's psyches, right, Like you have to just be really direct and say I'm not feeling.
Speaker 2: It or I'm not seeing it.
Speaker 1: I don't want to see anybody, right, I'm in something slightly and I want to see where this goes, you know, like that's a nicer, softer land like that. What do you tell somebody when you're not interested?
Speaker 2: See, here's the problem? Like, sometimes I let it go too far?
Speaker 1: Did I used to do that too?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think every woman doesn't because.
Speaker 2: I don't want. I hate letting, like I hate hurting people's feelings. And then I'm like, what was I thinking? But whatever? And so then I usually call and I'm like and I just tell them I just but sometimes.
Speaker 1: Say what what do you say?
Speaker 2: Sometimes they ask like why right, and then I'm a confessionalist and I'll tell them, but then that ends up hurting.
Speaker 1: Their feelings, like what what what have you said to someone who's whose feelings have been hurt in that in that kind of situation.
Speaker 2: You eat all my food and you didn't pay for anything.
Speaker 1: You like, I want my ring like that, I'm out here looking for a ring everybody.
Speaker 2: I just don't think it's gonna work out. Yeah, And I think we should not speak anymore.
Speaker 1: I love that men don't think that they have to pay for things, Like what's that about? I think they're confusing. They're confusing like chivalry with misogyny almost like.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean, I don't have to make an effort.
Speaker 1: Like everyone's getting everything confused. It's like, well, why do we have to pay for things? You guys want to be treated equally. It's like, that's not the reason, that's not that doesn't have anything.
Speaker 2: To do like that, you didn't say anything. I'm like, I'm I'm literally use your brain.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just like and also it's like a polite thing to do if I were to take a woman out to dinner or ask a woman to dinner if I would pay, like just if it's a friend situation, it's like whoever asks you pay, And dating historically and traditionally is just like a nice way for a man to be, like I'm going to take you out for on a day, show.
Speaker 2: Them a nice time. Yeah, yeah, yeah, totally, Yeah it's nice. Meg. Yeah, I'm sorry, Meg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have live callers. Are you ready for that?
Speaker 2: So exciting? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I hope you've been to therapy so you can give some because that's what we do here.
Speaker 2: Yes, all right.
Speaker 3: Lennee has a very tricky question, so she says, dear Chelsea, please help me know what to say so I don't feel like a ball busting asshole to my husband. I'm married to a wonderful, thoughtful, and caring man who only wants me to feel fulfilled and happy. I know some men would think I'm impossible to live with, but this man has never said a negative word about my hatred for football and video games.
Speaker 2: I know that.
Speaker 3: I know that he participates much less in both of these interests because of a clear boundary I set when we were dating. Lately, even our choice of what we watch on television together isn't vibing I'm interested in documentaries, and my husband finds these to be mostly depressing. He prefers something lighthearted, but I cannot watch another rerun.
Speaker 2: Of Friends or the Office.
Speaker 3: My husband thinks he's found the solution for us, but I don't have the heart to tell him that this solution is triggering to me. He thinks I love watching food eating challenges with him on YouTube. Beard meets Food seems to be his favorite. He'll wait for me so we can watch new episodes together, and he.
Speaker 2: Travel a lot for work.
Speaker 3: He sees it as our new show and gets excited to watch it together. The thing is, I have struggled with bolimia since I was twelve. He knows this, but we haven't discussed it in years. I'm now forty, and it's been getting harder harder not to binge and purge when my husband isn't around.
Speaker 2: This show triggers me. Oh my god.
Speaker 3: When I'm watching, I'll be dreaming of the moment I get to be alone again to binge and purge, and I hate that feeling. I feel like if I tell my husband, it will be yet another thing that I hate and he enjoys. How do I have this conversation without him feeling like I'm micromanaging his interests. Am I just doomed to sit through sitcomer runs for hopefully the next forty years with the love of my life, Lenae.
Speaker 1: Hi Line, Hi, Hi, Hi. This is our special guest, Madeline Klein.
Speaker 2: Hi. Nice to meet you.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 2: Maybe you guys can watch Outer Banks?
Speaker 1: Yeah, watching Outer Banks together?
Speaker 2: We haven't.
Speaker 1: I haven't tried that show.
Speaker 2: It's a fun it's a fun romp.
Speaker 1: I think that you have to be really honest with your husband because now you're in a precarious situation with a history of an eating disorder that is triggering. Like that is completely valid information. And listen, here's the thing. You guys don't have to watch TV together. You just don't like. It's not like a fundamental necessity. It's great if you can find something or a series that you guys are gonna like together, but it's not absolutely necessary. You can do other things together. Why don't you go for a walk? Like I know that sounds like the blah, but actually lots of people do that and it's a way to connect without any distraction. Because I don't really feel like necessarily watching TV with people is the biggest connection.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of like a lazy connection. That's true.
Speaker 5: We've been talking a lot. We own a lot of book I have quite a book collection. We've been to about needing to read more together. Yeah, but when we've tried, it's just the dead silence in the house and so we're talking about all music in the background while we read. We just haven't quite found the groove of that yet.
Speaker 1: You know, Okay, with reading, I can help you with this. With reading, you have to set the tone. You have to get into the groove, and you have to force yourself. You can put on some jazz, put on some class so it's not distracting. Obviously, you know you're not gonna be listening to hip hop and reading. So like, just put on some background music and literally sit there with your partner. You don't even have to read the same book. No, you can just both read fifty pages of a book and sit down and discuss it after. Or you can read fifty pages. I mean you can read fifty pages of the same book. Or you can read and you can start small, start with twenty five pages. Anyone could read twenty five pages of a book and just set a new pattern, like of something that you guys can do together. And you know, if you're not really agreeing on shows to watch, I don't know that you're going to be having the same interest in books necessarily. So I think you can be open to like reading two different things and then just talking about it, like telling each other the story about it. It's just more of a connectivity. I find watching TV with a partner to be pretty lazy, quite frankly. I mean, no judgment, but you know, when I do it, I'm always like, what are we doing this for? Shouldn't we be like fucking or doing something more. I definitely agree, you know, and maybe there's some other things you guys can start doing together, like going out at night and go into the movies or going bowling or stupid shit, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: He travels so much for work.
Speaker 5: I feel like it's something he looks forward to, like actually being at home and decompressing and enjoying that. And my biggest hesitation because I can tell him anything.
Speaker 1: I just he's a.
Speaker 5: Huge overcorrector, so I feel anytime I'll give him feedback, you know, help cooking more dinners. The next thing is a homemade from scratch lasagna, revel taco night or something. So I don't ever want him to feel like a huge overcrrection is needed.
Speaker 2: But just you should tell him that, honestly, because like that, right, like that is so sweet, and that the fact that he's that he's actually like he's listening to you and he's hearing what you're saying, and just tell him, like, I don't want you to overcorrect, but this habit or this this activity is maybe on a group activity for me to be included in, and like don't make him feel like his interest is like invalid or lame. But I think if he will, if he does over correct, then maybe there's the potential that he can just correct course correct to a different activity together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, play games like play Rummy cue.
Speaker 3: There's always so Yeah, puzzles are just boring though like a.
Speaker 1: Game at least there's like conversation going a little bit more than a puzzle. And I just think, like I understand if he's tired, and I feel that way when I come back from the road, like I'm tired. I just want to like get in bed and not think I get it. I totally get it. So give a couple of options and be malleable, which I'm sure you already are. But the most important thing is you don't have to care for his feelings into the degree that you're talking about when you're talking about and eating disorder, like you're the number one priority in that situation. And he would say the same thing, yeah, yeah, So like, don't apologize for his overcorrection. If he's gonna overcorrect, you can tell him, like Madeline said, like you can tell him you don't have to overcrack. But also like you need to be very honest about your truth. You are the number one priority in this situation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And a great thing to tell him is like you can go ahead and watch the show. This is your show to watch in the hotel when you're traveling for work, Like this is a new show, I just I just.
Speaker 2: Can't watch it.
Speaker 3: To get a little more book nerdy about setting the stage.
Speaker 2: For when you're reading together.
Speaker 3: Sure, I like putting on music, but this is like very nerdy. You can go on YouTube and find background that you put on the TV.
Speaker 2: It's kind of fun.
Speaker 3: Like if I'm reading a spooky book, I'll put on a background that's like stormy night and you're in a cabin and it's kind of fun.
Speaker 1: Well, you were right to warn me about that advice. Thank you. First of all, if I could figure out how to fucking do that, my life would be a lot different. I could set the settings on my TV screen. I mean, I go to houses. I my god, how did you do that? But also, yeah, find some stuff to do. That's like, you know, there's so much you can do, like learn how to play cribbage together, learn how to play gin ye, play gin together, play a card game. There's other ways to connect and relax that don't require like leaving the house. You know, if he really wants to chill out.
Speaker 5: I had a small conversation about wanting to have more deep conversations with each other a few months ago, and he literally went out and bought this card game that's for connecting and and then I'm the one.
Speaker 1: Who kind of stopped.
Speaker 5: The questions got real and I kind of shut down a little, so I know, we should pick that game back up again. He took the effort to hear me and move forward with us to connect through that. I just, you know, one of the first questions of how have I ever let you down? And it just was so so deep, so quick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I bet there's other card games so that I feel there definitely are that are like more conversation starters than like relationship bummers you know what, I'll send you.
Speaker 3: I can't remember what they're called, but there are these like packs of like conversation starters that you can like use together and they're fun when you have guests over and super fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Perka, thank you so much. Yeah, but definitely, like you know that is you're a number one like focus on telling the truth you want to know.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's not an excuse, that's a reason and it's.
Speaker 1: Oh there you go. That's another tagline for your other brand that we're going to come up with. Yeah, I have three brand taglines.
Speaker 3: Will you check back in with us, Have you guys have the conversation?
Speaker 2: Yes, absolutely absolutely, I'll follow up.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: All right, thanks Renee.
Speaker 1: I've got lots of couples have problems connecting like after a while, because it's like, what do you talk about after you've been with somebody for fifteen years? Yeah, you're of the generation where everyone was named Madeline because I had a cabbage batch kid name or cabbage Batch kids were a prelude to a generation of names because everyone name, yes, everyone who was my age who named like Gretchen, Gracie Taylor, and then then everyone grew up that was my age and had babies and then named them those babies. Yeah. Yeah, but I like the name made little too. It's a good name.
Speaker 2: That's your middle name, Renee. Okay, yeah, I liked Madeline. I think I think the story like my parents found out that they were going to have me when they were visiting there in Paris, and they thought that then the book, the Madeline Book was really cute. Oh yeah, the Little Cookies. So they just changed the name.
Speaker 1: Do you have siblings?
Speaker 2: I'm an only child?
Speaker 1: Oh really? Yeah.
Speaker 2: They had a hard time having or getting pregnant with me, so and then I was apparently very happy, quiet baby. So they were like, maybe we should just quit while we're ahead. Yeah, but they took me to the doctor when I was little because I would not speak.
Speaker 1: How long did it take you to speak?
Speaker 2: Mm? It was pretty quiet up until like maybe when I was ten, I just are yapping away?
Speaker 1: What do you mean ten?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I just didn't really speak. Like my mom would be like how is your day and be like.
Speaker 1: At six and five, like when you went to school, speak.
Speaker 2: Right, I could speak. I just chose not. I just didn't want to. Interesting.
Speaker 1: I must have been concerning for them.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, that's they were like, she's just fine. She just she doesn't see a reason.
Speaker 1: It's an interesting attitude for a little kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so funny, Abstained.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm the youngest of six kids, so it would never have occurred to me not to speak, because that was the only way to get shipped down.
Speaker 2: Or to get like I'm sure to be like yeah heard, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm like, fuck all these other people. Yeah, hell no, I need some attention. But that if you are an only child, why why would you, jock? You're like, I got everything I need right here.
Speaker 2: We did lots of puzzles without speaking, did you ye while ding puzzle? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, I really want to get to those collars because this is a really interesting question. So Hallie is twenty seven and her subject line is the twenty seven year old with fifteen year old daughters. Dear Chelsea. When I was twenty four years old, I accidentally became a mom to two twelve year old girls. When I say twenty four, I mean barely twenty four. They celebrated their twelfth birthday and I celebrated my twenty fourth together. I know, accidentally adopted two preteens. Sounds like a story that would involve a cult, drugs, possibly a head injury. But I worked with foster kids and was started as helping out somehow turned into motherhood. And before anyone tells me this is normal, I know people start families young all the time. I genuinely just never thought it would happen to me. Now I'm twenty seven and they're fifteen. I envisioned my twenties dating, traveling, partying, and making regrettable decisions. Instead I spent mine explaining to two teenage girls why they shouldn't make regrettable decisions. Although to be fair, I do try to lead by example. To be clear, I love these girls more than anything, but I do occasionally feel like I skipped directly from age twenty four, or to exhausted mother who's fighting for her life every day, and the time flies when you're fighting for your life. My biggest fear becoming a grandmother, Chelsea. I cannot stress this enough. I am not built for grandmotherhood. I still get carted. I have brought them to school hungover. Some days, I feel like I'm moving backwards on the responsibility scale. I can't cook and have no understanding of finances. There's absolutely nothing about me that says mom, much less grandma. So now I spend most of my time trying to raise two independent, responsible, successful young women, while simultaneously begging them not to do anything that could result in me raising another child. Here's my question. Am I delusional for looking at the calendar and thinking, Okay, when these girls graduate, I can finally have my twenties or is that selfish?
Speaker 2: Is there such a.
Speaker 3: Thing as a delayed young adult phase? Can I be grateful for my life and still feel like I missed a chapter?
Speaker 2: Or am I just a mom?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 3: Honestly, I'm receptive to any advice, criticism, reality checks are tough love. I'm just desperate for at least one person not to answer with, well, what did you think was going to happen?
Speaker 2: Because clearly I was not thinking.
Speaker 3: Sincerely, Halle, Hi, Halle, Hi, Helle Hi.
Speaker 1: This is our special guest, Madeline Client is here today.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: Hey, First of all, way to go. That is awesome and generous and loving and such a thing that a woman would do is adopt to twelve year olds. So that's awesome that you did that. And you're giving them a stable home, and you're giving them love, and you're giving them an education on life. So all of these things are beautiful. Are you delusional to think that you can have your own life once they hopefully are they going to go to college? These girls, that's the hope. Yeah, they want to. Yeah, okay, great, that's all they need is to want to do it and then that will most likely happen. No, you're not delusional. Yes, you're gonna have your life. This is fucking awesome that you already have too. Sixteen fifteen or they're fifteen now right, three years okay, you have two more years of this until they go to college. Two more years. Dive into them big time. Make sure they know that you are not going to be a grandmother. Make sure that they are educated about birth control. Get them injected with whatever nouva ring they need to have. I don't know why I touched my elbow or the inside. I was thinking of my v because that's how you get a neuva ring in my mind, you know. But just make sure that they are you know, they've got it. They don't want to have a baby. Do they want to have a baby?
Speaker 2: No, But I just worry where Okay, but don't worry about things that haven't happened, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: That's just like you're almost almost like manifesting it by worrying about it so much that you should probably flip it and reverse it and be like, they would never do such a thing to me. You're not even their biological mother, Like how could you be expected to raise another, you know, generation of children. Like that's just like that's not a default setting in my viewpoint. You would be there to help, but you're not going to be there to you know, step in and raise a baby. So obviously have you made that clear to them?
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 4: I just worried because they create like negative attention.
Speaker 2: A lot of the time, uh huh, And.
Speaker 4: So I try to give them space to kind of be who they are, figure out who they are, but also while set in boundaries and it's just a little difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And do you have someone who helps you, like, do you have like a parenting coach or do you like how do you how do you know how to do this. You're just figuring it out as you go Google. Yeah. Great, Well that's what most parents are doing anyway, So don't worry about that. But the broader question is you're going to have your own life. The fact that you have two kids that are going to college when you're going to be like twenty nine years old, that's when your life is going to begin again.
Speaker 2: We were just talking about at the beginning of this podcast was how excited I am from my thirties because I feel like they're going to be even more awesome than my twenties. So I feel like.
Speaker 1: They are and they are awesome. I'm here to tell you it gets better as you age as a woman. It just keeps getting better and better and better. You're more like, look what you've already accomplished.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: Most people are gonna be like ten years from where you are, raising seventeen year old children or fifteen year old children, do you know what I mean? Like, you have an advantage because you were so young, so stop looking at it as a disadvantage and look at it as an advantage. You gave these girls a safe place to grow up, so like that is invaluable like beautiful, beautiful, beautiful, and yeah, and so like you have like the whole world ahead of you, and of course you're missing out on this time in your twenties, but honestly, this isn't the best time of your life anyway. Like your thirties are going to be even better than your twenties. So then you can be free, and then you could go out and spread your wings.
Speaker 2: And fly when you're smarter and cooler than ever. Yes, yes, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Hope so yeah, yeah, but don't hope. So no, So that's what's gonna happen. Where do you live? I live in Louisiana? Okay? I was gonna say that accent I couldn't quite place, and that's usually Louisiana when you can't place it. Are you in New Orleans? Another part close by New Orleans? Okay? So how did these girls come into your life?
Speaker 4: I work with kids in the Foster hair system, and I worked closely with them. They went home with their dad and I just kind of kept in touch just in case, and one day he dropped him off and said pretty much he can't do it anymore.
Speaker 2: And I tried to.
Speaker 4: Work with them the best that I could, but then it was like I had to make a decision to step up or I would have had to be the bad guy and put them back where they did not want to go. And so I mean it was the easy yes for me at the time. I just I didn't think future, Like I wasn't thinking what my life would look like, you know, five years from that moment or whatever.
Speaker 2: And how good for those girls that you weren't thinking.
Speaker 1: You know, yeah, yeah, you did it. That's a beautiful thing that you've done. And these girls aren't gonna they they're gonna get it. They're not gonna go out and get pregnant. And if they do get pregnant, then hoefully they'll get an abortion and they won't have a baby before they're ready to have a child, you know what I mean. Like people do make mistakes and that then and you can you know, I don't know if Louisiana is a state where you can, but whatever. Don't like think about that aspect of things. Just make sure they're educated, which I know you already are doing about getting pregnant and about protecting themselves. And I understand that young girls get off on negative attention. I know that, and that can be a bad habit, but it's also kind of part of growing.
Speaker 2: Up and the fact that you're also like allowing them space while also setting boundaries with them and like allowing them to be individuals with their own thoughts and feelings, and you're not you're not helicoptering them. You're allowing them to grow up and still teach them and tell them to like learn from me. Is that is so amazing? Yea, Like the the lessons and the freedoms that you're giving them is truly Like, especially I know it's so difficult when when they're teenagers. I remember like how annoying I was, But like I was always so grateful when my parents gave me a little bit of freedom, So I trust and trust.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think the way to build trust is to give people a little latitude and seeing what they come back with. Like sometimes when you trust people who haven't been entrusted before, they really value that, you know what I mean. So it's like giving them a little of latitude and seeing how they respond in that situation. And yeah, I'm sure these girls are like endlessly grateful to you. They are.
Speaker 4: It's I just want to make sure that I'm doing the best possible thing. And I know that no parent is perfect, like for sure, but that's why I'm always willing to learn and to hear from other people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you do, you are. You're doing a great job. You are and calling and asking questions and being open to that is also great. I have no doubt that you the best influence that these girls have ever had.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so just hold tight and then get your pussy out when they go to college and get the fucking party started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Okay, thanks for calling, Kelly.
Speaker 4: Thank y'all.
Speaker 1: Bye bye.
Speaker 2: I love accent.
Speaker 1: I know. It was like I was like, where is and then she said something else and I'm like, wait, no, that's not Mississi, And then that is occasion accent for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well that's our episode of Madeline Kline, who has been so cute and oh my god, you guys can watch Outer Banks. Season five is going to be on Netflix in a couple of weeks. In a couple of weeks August twentieth. Everybody, they have a couple tongues like draff.
Speaker 3: If you want advice from Chelsea, write into Dear Chelsea Podcast.
Speaker 2: At gmail dot com. Dear Chelsea is a production of iHeartMedia.
Speaker 3: Follow Chelsea on all socials at Chelsea Handler, and find Katherine on TikTok at flash Cadabra. Dear Chelsea is edited and engineered by Brandon Dickert executive producer Katherine Law. Find full video episodes and minisodes now on Netflix, and get tickets to see Chelsea live at Chelseahanler dot com