Speaker 1: You're listening to comedy Central impeachments.
Speaker 2: It's the constitutional way of saying, by Felicia.
Speaker 3: That's probably presidential harassment.
Speaker 4: President Trump has been accused of threatening to hold back military aid to the Ukraine if leaders there failed to investigate former Vice President Joe Biden.
Speaker 5: The President pushed eight times for an investigation into Joe Biden at the time of the call, that Trump administration was withholding two hundred and fifty million dollars in military aid to Ukraine that Congress had already approved.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is huge.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump is accused of holding back military aid approved by Congress for Ukraine unless they helped him dig up dirts on Joe Biden.
Speaker 1: Which, if true, would be devastating.
Speaker 2: It's an abuse of power, it's extortion and maybe worst of all, asking a foreign country to middle in America's election. Yeah, which is the one thing that if you were Donald Trump, you should stay.
Speaker 1: Away from, right, because they had just beaten the Russia case.
Speaker 2: It would be like if the day after Michael Jackson got a quitted up touching kids, he.
Speaker 1: Was like, let's celebrate some slumber party at my hand.
Speaker 2: Of the one silver liner of any Trump scandal is that if you just wait long enough, eventually he'll just spool the beans himself.
Speaker 6: The conversation I had was largely congratulatory with largely corruption. All of the corruption picking play were largely the fact that we don't want our people like Vice President Biden has done creating to the corruption already in the Ukraine.
Speaker 7: There was no pressure put on them whatsoever. But there was pressure put on with respect to Joe Biden. What Joe Biden did for his son, that's something they should be looking at.
Speaker 1: We all heard that right.
Speaker 2: Trump has said there was no pressure except for the pressure to get dirt on Biden. That's the only pressure we're talking about. On Monday, the Ukraine scandal blew up. On Tuesday, the Democrats opened an impeachment inquiry. On Wednesday, the transcript of the call came out, and today the big news is that the secret whistleblower complaint that kicked this whole thing off has finally been released.
Speaker 8: The House Intelligence Committee has just released the whistleblower complaint. This is the second paragraph of that complaint from the whistleblower, who says, in the course of my official duties, I have received information from multiple US government officials that the President of the United States is using the power of his office to solicit interference from a foreign country in the twenty twenty US election.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: The whistleblower's complaint has accused the president of soliciting foreign interference in America's election, which is really bad for Trump. What's even worse is that this entire complaint is only nine page is long, which means people might actually read it. Hell, if it had a few pictures, Trump himself might even read it. Trump and his defenders are saying that the whistleblowers a count as fake all right, because they say that the whistleblower is basing all of this on secondhand information, he didn't hear the cause and he hasn't seen anything himself. They also point out that the president of Ukraine himself said yesterday that he never felt any pressure from Trump, although if you actually watched the Ukrainian president say it, you might come up with a different impression.
Speaker 9: If he felt any count from President comp to investigate Joe Biden and under Biden.
Speaker 10: I think you read everything, so I think you read texts.
Speaker 1: I I'm sorry, but I.
Speaker 2: Don't want to be involved to democratic open Elections of USA.
Speaker 1: No, you're here. That we had I think, good cool, he was normal. We spoke about.
Speaker 10: Many scenes, and so I think and you read it that nobody pushed it pushed me.
Speaker 11: Yes, no pressure, Okay, okay, I don't want to contradict the president, but I don't think the translation of that was no pressure.
Speaker 2: That man seemed like he was under intense pressure. I mean he actually said that I don't want to get involved. I mean, that's not a comfortable phrase you ever say when you're just comfortable.
Speaker 1: How are you feeling? I don't want to get involved? That's so comfortable.
Speaker 2: You can ask him that question in front of Trump. It's like asking the hostage how he's being treated while the kidnapper is right next to him. How are they treating me? Oh it's it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Uh. Last night they even gave me toilet paper. I love it here.
Speaker 2: The big news today is that the White House has taken its fight with Congress to the next level, officially sending word that it will not participate in any aspect of the impeachment probe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is crazy, Like Trump can't.
Speaker 2: Just declined to participate, Like this is not the Vietnam War, and this new tactic, this new tactic threw everything for a loop, because you see, today was meant to be the big day when Congress would hear testimony from Gordon Sundland, Ambassador to the EU, and Jeff ros Stunt double. But just before the CSPAN camera started rolling, the White House pulled the plug.
Speaker 12: We'll following breaking news this morning, and it's moving quickly. The White House blocking EU Ambassador Gordon Sunland from testifying to Congress just minutes before he was supposed to appear on Capitol Hill. He was set to testify behind closed doors as part of an ongoing impeachment inquiry into President Trump, specifically about his interactions with Ukraine. Democratic House Intelligence Chairman calling the move to keep Sunlance from speaking, the lawmakers quote strong evidence of obstruction at the.
Speaker 2: President's behest and pulled out of this impeachment hearing, which is a big deal because although many people haven't heard of Gordon SONLND, it appears that everything Trump wanted from Ukraine went through him.
Speaker 13: Even before President Trump spoke to the President of Ukraine, Gordon Sondland, the US Ambassador to the EU, had been pushing the Ukrainians to commit to investigations mister Trump wanted.
Speaker 2: And the reason Congress is so intense on having son and testify isn't just because he was at the centre of the Ukraine scandal, right, It's also because he has text messages that show what was going on behind the scenes.
Speaker 14: Text messages given to Congress show Sundland and another diplomat discussing a possible link between investigations and aid to Ukraine.
Speaker 15: On September ninth, Bill Taylor, the top US diplomat to Ukraine, texts, I think it's crazy to withhold security assistants for help with a political campaign. Sonlid responds, I believe you were incorrect about President Trump's intentions. The president has been Chris still clear. No quit pro quos of any kind, adding I suggest we stop the back and forth by text.
Speaker 14: Taylor text Gordon Somlin. Are we now saying that security assistants and White House meeting are conditioned on investigations?
Speaker 15: Someone responds, call me.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know if these guys are guilty or not, but you have to admit those texts look hella suspicious. Yeah, because the only time you say stop texting let's talk on the phone. Is when something shady's going down, right, It's twenty nineteen. No one talks on the phone. The only reason to talk on the phone at all is to wish your grandmother a happy birthday, or to commit crimes, or to commit crimes with.
Speaker 1: Your grandmother on her birthday.
Speaker 2: Now, for the first day of the public hearings, the Democrats chose to call two witnesses, Bill Taylor, the acting ambassador to Ukraine, and George Kept, senior State Department official and townsperson in the nineteen fifties musical.
Speaker 16: Once I arroved in Kiev, I discovered a weird combination of encouraging, confusing, and ultimately alarming circumstances. According to mister Morrison, president Trump did insist that President Zelensky go to a microphone and say he is opening investigations of Biden and twenty sixteen election interference. Ambassador Somlon tried to explain to me that President Trump is a businessman. When a businessman is about to sign a check to someone who owes him something, the businessman asked that person to pay up before signing the check. I think it's crazy to withhold security assistance for help with the political campaign.
Speaker 2: What did you mean when you said you thought it was crazy?
Speaker 16: It was illogical, It could not be explained. It was crazy.
Speaker 2: Hmmm, unexplainable, illogical crazy. That's the description Bill Taylor gave of Trump's actions. It's also the title of Trump's new memoir, Same thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's my full story, and it's a coloring book, folks. You gotta love it.
Speaker 2: What it was congres When Jim Jordan's turn to ask questions, his big arguments was that none of this testimony should count because it was all a game of telephone.
Speaker 17: You weren't on the call, were you the president? You didn't listen on President Trump's call and Presidentlessy's call. I did not. You never talked with Chief of Staff Maulvany, I never did. You never met the president. That's correct. This is what I can't believe. And you're their star witness, you're their first witness.
Speaker 1: You're the guy.
Speaker 17: You're the guy based on this, based on I mean, I've seen I've seen church prayer change that are easier to understand than this.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Good point, Jim Jordan.
Speaker 2: These guys don't have firsthand knowledge of what Trump was doing with Ukraine.
Speaker 1: So why are they the ones testifying.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe it's because the White House has blocked all the people who do have firsthand knowledge from testifying.
Speaker 1: That's a good point, Tramper, that's a good fine, thank you me.
Speaker 2: All of today, Jim Jordan's only focus was making it seem like this entire process was somehow a sham. But it all backfired when he tried to turn the focus to the whistleblower.
Speaker 17: Now there is one witness, one witness that they won't bring in front of us, they won't bring in front of the American people, and that's the guy who started it all, the whistleblower. Nope, I say to my colleague, I'd be glad to have the person who started it all come in and testify. President Trump is welcome to take a seat right there.
Speaker 2: This congressional hearing was filmed in front of a live studio audience, you know, by congress standards, that was a pretty good slam.
Speaker 17: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The only way it could have been better is if the congressman was like, seriously, President Trump is welcome anytime.
Speaker 1: In fact, I've actually got his invite right here.
Speaker 2: Man man, Man, Man Man, and This testimony was a pretty big deal because for the first time the American public heard from non partisan officials about how the president abused his powers for personal gain. And even though millions of people I mean talking about these hearings over on Fox News, their analysis of this impeachment is man. There is not a single person outside the Washington, DC beltway that gives a damn about what happened today.
Speaker 1: It's boring, the total snooze fest. It was kind of boring to watch on television. It was really just a huge dut. There wasn't anything sexy about it.
Speaker 18: There was not some big new piece of information that came out.
Speaker 19: With Richard Nixon, there was a break in with Bill Clinton, there was sex in the Oval office.
Speaker 1: Yeah. With Trump, it's a phone call to Ukraine.
Speaker 20: There's no burglary, there's no break in, there's no tapes, there's no dress, there's no sex.
Speaker 1: It's not a sexy scandal. Russia was sexy. This has no intrigue whatsoever. Whoa, whoa, whoa.
Speaker 2: You're saying Trump's impeachment is boring and unsexy. You know, if Trump hears that, it's gonna piss him off, right, He's gonna come.
Speaker 1: Out like my engagement will be the most exciting ever.
Speaker 2: I'll break into a hotel and best believe I'll just all over this dress.
Speaker 1: Don't make me do it. Don't make me do it, Aging.
Speaker 21: Trevor.
Speaker 22: This whole thing has me so mad. Look, if these allegations are true, then our president, and forgive me for using the N word. Here is a complete nincome poop.
Speaker 1: Oh, you have me nervous for a second. Yeah, I agree, I agree.
Speaker 2: I think everyone is angry that the president abused his power like this.
Speaker 22: Okay, take it easy, madau. I'm mad because our dim shit president can't even get impeached. Right, he's wasting his one impeachment on taking down Joe Biden. Joe Biden will take down Joe Biden. The guy's already gaffed himself out of two elections. Look, when it comes to Biden, all you have to do is just wait it out and go away. You know, he's like a cold or my parole officer.
Speaker 1: That guy is so obsessed with me. Actually, I think that's legal. So wait, DESI, you don't think Trump abused his power?
Speaker 22: Well no, if anything, he didn't abuse it enough. Look, you only get one impeachment, you gotta make it count. Presidents used to understand that. Andrew Johnson defied Congress Richard Nixon had the Saturday Night massacre. Bill Clinton got a bj in the Oval Office head mouth candy, the old pac Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I get it. Okay, okay.
Speaker 22: My point is Trevor Trump has blown it. He might get impeached for gossiping on the phone like a little bit.
Speaker 2: During the impeachment hearings last week, you may remember we learned about a call at a restaurant between Trump and an EU ambassador Gordon s Well. Now a diplomat who overheard that call is spilling all the beans to Congress.
Speaker 1: Quote.
Speaker 23: While Ambassador Sonland's phone was not on speakerphone, I could hear the President's voice through the earpiece of the phone. I then heard President Trump ask so he's going to do the investigation. Ambassador sonlnd replied that he's going to do it, adding the President Zelenski will do anything you ask him to. President's voice was very loud and recognizable, and Ambassador Sonln held the phone away from his ear for a period of time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right, David Holmes testified to Congress that he overheard a call where Trump explicitly asked for Ukraine to dig up to it on. Joe Biden and the diplomat overheard this conversation not because Trump was on speakerphone, but because Trump is a human speakerphone and he's like, I'm calling about the criminal conspiracy.
Speaker 1: You know what, I can't hear you. Let's stress the speaker.
Speaker 2: I'm calling about the criminal day. There are a lot of damning details in this testimony, but my favorite part. My favorite part was when Sonland talked about just how much the President of Ukraine was willing to help Trump.
Speaker 23: I heard President Trump then clarify Ambassador Sonlon was in Ukraine. Ambassador Sonlon replied, yes, he was in Ukraine went on to state President Zelensky loves your ass.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, Zelensky loves Trump's ass. A few days ago, Fox and US was saying impeachment wasn't sexy enough.
Speaker 1: Now we got ass played.
Speaker 2: This morning, impeachment took yet another major step forward when Nancy Pelosi speak of the House and sober Lucille Bluth gathered up all the flags she could find for a major announcement.
Speaker 12: Tound speaker Nancy Pelosi announcing to the country and to the world that articles of impeachment against President Trump will proceed. Pelosi telling the American people that Trump has left the US Congress with no choice but to move forward.
Speaker 24: Sadly. That was confidence and humility, with allegiance to our founders and a heart full of love for America. Today, I am asking our chairman to proceed with articles of impeachment.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Oh my god, Oh my god. They finally proposed articles of impeachment. I mean, I knew when they reserved that hearing room that this would be it.
Speaker 2: But you never know until it really happens.
Speaker 1: I'm like, god, I'm so happy for you guys.
Speaker 2: And I know this sounds weird, but I'm actually proud of Donald Trump. Yeah, because he's getting impeached, but I didn't think he would make it three years.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 2: Like Trump getting this far into his presidency without being impeached is a lot like when a dog accidentally drives a car into a tree.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the dog crashed, but he made it like eight blocks. That's impressive. I don't even know how he put it into drive. He barely knows letters now There was a big debate.
Speaker 2: Within the Democratic Party about how many articles of impeachment to bring against Donald Trump, but in the end they decided to strike with surgical precision.
Speaker 25: President Trump now facing two charges, as the top Democrats of the key committees stood together to announce it all this morning, Abuse of power and obstruction of Congress.
Speaker 9: Democrats have decided to narrow the scope of impeachment to the two articles of impeachment that they believe are the easiest to prove and backed up by the most evidence.
Speaker 4: Because we are operating in a universe where Republicans are challenging some of the most basic facts, Democrats want to make this case as airtight as possible.
Speaker 2: Yes, only two articles of impeachments, abuse of power and obstruction of Congress, which means the Democrats are showing a lot of restraint because I mean, let's be honest, Trump has done enough crazy shit to Marrit two thousand articles of impeachments. Yeah, there was obstruction of justice from the Mola report, using the presidency to enrich his businesses, the porn star payoffs, flag molestation, the time he looked directly into an eclipse, and of course having done Junior I mean, that's impeachment on its own.
Speaker 26: So so the good news for Trump is that he's only facing two charges, although in a way that's also kind of sad for him because Nixon had three.
Speaker 2: Articles wrote against him, Bill Clinton had four, and Andrew Johnson had eleven, which means Trump will have the smallest impeachments of all time.
Speaker 1: You know, that's gonna make him insecure. It's gonna be like, it's not.
Speaker 10: About the size of impeachment, it's about the friction of the convention.
Speaker 8: President Trump said, to become the third president in American history to be impeached.
Speaker 27: This is a moment that will go down in history. This will be written about in the history books.
Speaker 4: This is going to go down in the history books.
Speaker 2: The forty fifth president of the United States got impeached. Well, you guys might be cheering, but when Democrats in the House tried to cheer last night, Nancy Pelosi shut it down real fast.
Speaker 28: House Speaker Nancy Pelosi maintaining control of her caucus with a glance and a gesture alone at one point yesterday.
Speaker 29: On this thoughte, the Ya's are two hundred and thirty. The na's are one ninety seven. Present is one article. One is adopted.
Speaker 2: Damn Nancy didn't want to hear any gloating last night. She killed that celebration, guid Did you see that that kind of look would send the champagne cock back into the bottle?
Speaker 1: That that's how intense I was. They were like poop whoop.
Speaker 2: So there's no doubt that impeachment will hurt Trump's legacy bigly, but it also seems like it's hurting his feelings.
Speaker 21: President Trump incensed, lashing out in a scathing six page letter to the House Speaker, calling the teachment process outlined by the Constitution an illegal, partisan attempted coup.
Speaker 30: He's just fired off a tweet. Can you believe that I will be impeached today by the radical left? Do nothing Democrats? And I did nothing wrong? A terrible thing. Read the transcripts. This should never happen to another president again, Say a prayer?
Speaker 1: No, Is it just me?
Speaker 2: Or does it seem like? Trump went through all the stages of grief in one tweet? It was like denial, I can't believe I'm getting impeached, Anga, I did nothing wrong.
Speaker 1: Depression, this is a terrible thing. Acceptance. I guess we can only pray.
Speaker 2: You may remember that after Trump was impeached back in December, Nancy Pelosi didn't post the obstacles.
Speaker 1: On to the Senate.
Speaker 2: Instead, she chose to hold onto them, tight, tight, to them. Mike Pency's sphinx in a room with two women. Yeah, temptation often passes through the back door. But today, after a month of tension, Pelosi finally announced she's handing the articles over to the Senates so that they can hold the trial. And I don't know what was going on with Nancy today, but at her press conference she seemed a little spaced out.
Speaker 29: Good morning, everyone, This is a very important day for us. And as you know, I reference temporal markers that our founders and our poets and others have used over time to place us in time, to emphasize the importance of time, because everything is about time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And speaking of timing, it feels like Pelosi's edibles just kicked in at the wrong moment there. I think the point Pelosi was trying to make is that she feels that after a month of waiting, now is the right time to pass impeachment to the Senates. But handing over the articles of impeachment isn't as simple as handing over your mom to a nursing home. No, an occasion like this calls for a little ceremony.
Speaker 31: They are going to be marching the articles from the House Chamber through the Statuary Hall, through the Rotunda, along the second floor of the Capitol, past the old Senate Chamber, through the Ohio Clock Corridor, and then eventually to the Senate Chamber.
Speaker 20: Those documents now are being taken from the House of Representatives through Statuary Hall. They'll be going into the Capital Rotunda to the Senate to present the articles of impeachment.
Speaker 32: Mister President, I have been directed by the House of Representatives to inform the Senate. The House has passed HS seven nine eight, a resolution appointing and authorizing managers for the impeachment trial of Donald John Trump, President of the United States.
Speaker 2: So we're all just going to pretend nobody invents an email. Just as an aside, what was up with that graphic? What was that from the news come. We don't need to see an arrow making love to the Senate Chamber to understand how people enter a room. They're walking across the building. It's a straight line, it's a whole way we get it.
Speaker 1: So now.
Speaker 2: So, now that the Senate has the articles of impeachment, the big fights is now going to be about whether or not the trial will include new witnesses and new evidence, because you see, just yesterday we learned new details about Trump and his shady dealings with Ukraine.
Speaker 33: The new evidence collected by congressional investigators comes from Lev Parnas and associate of Trump's personal attorney, Rudy Giuliani. Fifty nine pages of records, including text messages, emails, and handwritten notes, including one scrawled on hotel stationary that reads, quote get Zelensky to announce that the Biden case will be investigated. And there's a letter from Giuliani requesting a meeting with Ukraine's then president elect Zelensky, emphasizing Giuliani was working in his capacity as personal counsel to President Trump and with his knowledge and consent.
Speaker 2: No, seriously, they wrote down the plot of their crime and then kept it.
Speaker 1: That is a literal paper trail. Why would you do that? What were they just hanging around?
Speaker 11: Like?
Speaker 1: You have to keep the receipts, Like, isn't that taxes? No, No, it's for crimes too. You have to keep them.
Speaker 2: Only Donald Trump would hire henchmen who are also into scrapbooking, like they're like a bunch of criminal Martha Stewarts, you know, also known as Martha Stewart's. Trump's impeachment trial is set to begin next week, and as with any impeachment trial, the Senate will serve as the jury. So this afternoon, all the senators were sworn in by Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, and then they signed their names one by one in what's known as the oath Book. Was a really solemn moment and also the first time ever that anyone's ever asked for Ted Cruiser's autograph. Now, the one big question hanging over this trial has been will publican sentences allow new witnesses to testify? Well, apparently some of those witnesses aren't waiting to find out. Which is showing up on TV right and the conversation everyone's talking about right now is Rachel Maddow's interview with Lev Parnas, an associate of Rudy Giuliani and a man with seven different hairstyles all at once. Now, Parnas is important because, unlike some previous witnesses who only heard about what was going on. He claims that he was working closely with Rudy Giuliani to get dirt on the Bidens. So if those other people smelled the borshe he actually made it. And now he's telling all of America how it went down.
Speaker 34: President Trump knew exactly what was going on. He was aware of all my movements. I wouldn't do anything without the consent of Rudy Giuliani or the President.
Speaker 35: Are you saying specifically, and I want to sort of drill down on that that the President was aware that you and mister Giuliani were working on this effort in Ukraine to basically try to hurt Joe Biden's political career.
Speaker 1: He knows about that.
Speaker 34: Yeah, well, it was observed about Joe Biden, Hunter Biden. It was never about the corruption. It was never was strictly about the barisma, which included Hunter Biden and Joe Biden.
Speaker 2: That's a big deal coming from Rudy Giuliani's right hand man. This would be like if Luigi went on Rachel Maddow Like Mario doesn't care about the princess.
Speaker 1: He just a laugh to murder Tarteles. He wants to kill all of them. He's a very sick man. It'll be huge. Now.
Speaker 2: Now the White House, the White House has responded to this interview saying that pon Us is a liar. They say he's only saying this because he's been indicted for campaign finance fraud, and so now he's trying to get a light of sentence like a Ukrainian Takashi six nine. And Trump has gone one step further, saying that he doesn't even know what a left par Us is, much less that he gave him instructions to get dirt on Joe Biden, to which pawn Us is now responding picks it did happen.
Speaker 36: The President of the United States said he didn't know you.
Speaker 1: I don't know those gentlemen.
Speaker 7: Now as possible, I have a picture with him, because I have a picture with everybody, I don't know them.
Speaker 34: I welcome him to say that even more. Every time he says that I'll show him another picture, he's lying. He's lying.
Speaker 2: I hope when Parnas does release the pictures, they just get steadily more incriminating. You know, it'll be funny for like at first they just had a party together, you know, then the next picture they're riding together on Space Mountain. Then eventually, like all pictures will just end up with nudes. You know, that's where it's gonna go. Yeah, and Trump will be like.
Speaker 1: That doesn't mean anything. I take nudes with everyone. So many news. So, the third.
Speaker 2: Presidential impeachment trial in American history began today, and because impeachment is such a momentous occasion, the Senate had to kick things off with a formal proclamation.
Speaker 22: The US Senate is about to take on and historic and perhaps grueling task, the impeachment trial of President Donald Trump.
Speaker 13: Here ye hear ye, hear ye.
Speaker 37: All persons are commanded to keep silent on pain of imprisonment while the Senate of the United States is sitting for the trial of the articles of impeachment exhibited by the House of Representatives against Donald John Trump, President of the United States.
Speaker 2: Hey ye hey ye, hey yey is one of those phrases that has to be shouted.
Speaker 1: Certain phrases have to be shouted, like make some noise or you're not even my real dad got to shout certain things.
Speaker 2: And despite the asmr intro, Trump's impeachment trial is already.
Speaker 1: Filled with drama.
Speaker 2: Just look at the all star defense team president Trump put together. All right, this is an insane team that Trump collected. Is god can star the lawyer who is famous for doing the investigation that led to Bill Clinton's impeachments. And it's got Alan Dershowitz who's famous.
Speaker 1: For defending O. J. Simpson.
Speaker 2: So these lawyers are perfect for Trump because they have experience with super guilty people and super hawney presidents.
Speaker 1: It's great, it's a combination.
Speaker 2: But I will say this, Trump's lawyers may want to polish up the defense strategy because things have already gotten off to a rocky start.
Speaker 28: The president's legal team offering the first glimpse of their defense that the president did nothing wrong, did not commit a crime, and that even the Democrats argument of abusive power does not rise to an impeachable offense, something one of his lawyers, Alan Dershowitz, maintained over the weekend.
Speaker 3: The articles of impeachment are two non criminal actions, but.
Speaker 21: Many constitutional scholars disagree. Trump's lawyer, Alan Dershowitz himself once argued the opposite during the Clinton impeachment.
Speaker 37: So it certainly doesn't have to be a crime if you have somebody who completely corrupts the office of president.
Speaker 1: This is really interesting.
Speaker 2: What he said in the nineties was in fact correct, and what he's saying now is also in fact correct.
Speaker 36: Previously you said it doesn't have to be a crime if the guy, if the if the person in office completely corrupts the office of president. Now you're saying criminal like, So you're not so corrupting the office of the president. Is that in your criminal lights or criminal like?
Speaker 1: No, no, it's not.
Speaker 23: And that was reject that was rejected by the were wrong.
Speaker 1: I say you were wrong back then. I was saying that. I'm much more correct right now, having done much research because that and the ise.
Speaker 6: I didn't do the research back then because that wasn't an issue.
Speaker 1: I've done the research now. I wasn't wrong. I am just far more correct now than I was now.
Speaker 2: Wait what I wasn't wrong. I am just far more correct now than I was then. That is one of the most original lines I have ever heard in my life. Now, that's a great line for a lawyer. But thank god this guy doesn't work on a bomb squad, because.
Speaker 1: That would be a disaster.
Speaker 2: He would just be like, cut the yellow wire, wait, cut the red one, already cut the yellow one. Yeah, well I wasn't wrong about yellow, but the red one is more correct.
Speaker 1: Don't worry. We're not gonna die. We're just gonna be less alive.
Speaker 38: If Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell has his way, the vote to convict or acquit President Trump will come sooner rather than later. McConnell presenting his proposed trial rules that break from the Clinton model.
Speaker 21: Mitch McConnell releasing his long awaited blueprint. Each side will have twenty four hours over just two days to make their opening statements. It means Senators could have to sit for twelve hour sessions, part of the Republican push for a faster trial, but Democrats say Republicans are trying to hide the president's misconduct in the dead of night.
Speaker 19: He could force presentations to take place at two or three in the morning. The McConnell resolution will result in a rush trial with little evidence in the dark of night, literally the dark of night.
Speaker 2: You know, for a guy who shares so much DNA with turtles, McConnell sure wants to move fast.
Speaker 1: You know what I feel like.
Speaker 2: I feel like McConnell will be the worst person to go on a date with you know, because he seems like one of those people who would order the appetizer, the main course, and the dessert all at the same time, you know, just to rush things along.
Speaker 39: And just we're like, yeah, bring us the spike, the half far Sunday on the track. We're getting the track with all formality. We're just gonna smash.
Speaker 2: Today was the day that Democrats began to lay out their case against the president, but last night fights were already breaking out about whether this trial should even be happening in the first place.
Speaker 40: Opening arguments begin early this afternoon, and we're expecting a very fierce debate over why the president should and shouldn't be removed from office. Republicans want this all over by the State of the Union address in two weeks. Democrats say, not so fast.
Speaker 30: Why are we here?
Speaker 41: Are we here.
Speaker 1: Because of a phone call?
Speaker 42: We are here, sir, to follow the facts, apply to law, be guided by the Constitution, and present the truth to the American people. That is why we are here, mister secular. And if you don't know, now you know.
Speaker 1: And if you don't know, now you know. That's right, that's right.
Speaker 2: Congressman Hakim Jeffries just quoted Biggie on the floor of Congress.
Speaker 1: The only thing, the only thing I wish is that he'd used the entire line. That would have been amazing.
Speaker 2: It was like, if you don't know, now you know, nigga.
Speaker 1: Because if that happened, black people would have been out celebrating in the streets. It would have been MLKDA.
Speaker 2: Part two, all of us out there like you know very well who you are.
Speaker 1: But I gotta say, man, hip hop has come a long way. Think about it.
Speaker 2: In the eighties and nineties, it was considered gangster music, and now it's being quoted in an impeachment trial.
Speaker 1: Huh. That's how far hip hop has come. Think about that. That's insane. Hip hop just keeps up.
Speaker 2: I bet it's only a matter of time before, like Mitch McConnell responds with a rap lyric of his own, He's.
Speaker 39: Like, mom, my name is Metch and I don't have a draw. I love the Senate and saying ma.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 39: Now.
Speaker 2: The reason the things got so heated yesterday is because Democrats tried ten different times to get new witnesses and evidence into this impeachment trial, and the Republicans shot them down each and every time. There hasn't been that much rejection in DC's and Stephen Miller went speed dating.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: One of the main witnesses Democrats really hope will testify is former Trump advisor and grumpy Captain Crunch John Bolton. But when the President was asked about it this morning, he had a list of reasons why he doesn't want Bolton to testify.
Speaker 7: In regards to the proceedings going on in the Senate.
Speaker 10: Are you absolutely against John Moulten testify?
Speaker 3: The problem with John is that it's a national security problem. You know, you can't have somebody who's at national security. And if you think about it, John he knows some of my thoughts. He knows what I think about leaders. What happens if he reveals what I think about a certain leader and it's not very positive, and that I have to deal on behalf of the country, it's going to be very hard. It's going to make the job very hard. He knows other things.
Speaker 17: And I don't know.
Speaker 3: If we left on the best of terms, I would say probably not.
Speaker 2: You know, you know one thing I enjoy about Trump is that he will give you every excuse all at the same time. All Right, He'll start with the fake excuse, but then he'll just keep going until you learn the real reasons.
Speaker 10: Just like sadly, we can't hear from Bolton because it's a national security there. And also you'll reveal what I think about other world leaders, and also he hates my guts, and also he'll be in the crimes that I committed.
Speaker 18: So many reasons.
Speaker 43: Breaking overnight bombshell, former National security advisor John Bolton ready to turn on the President as news leaks from his explosive new book about what he claims really happened with Ukraine.
Speaker 13: Bolton says the President told him that he wanted to continue freezing three hundred and ninety one million dollars in security assistance to Ukraine until officials there helped with investigations into Democrats, including the Bidens.
Speaker 14: President Trump signaling that he is going to paint John Bolton as a disgruntled former employee. Take a look at his tweet from earlier today. He says, if John Bolton said this, it was only to sell a book.
Speaker 2: Wow, this is a big deal because we now know that if Bolton testifies, he would say that Trump personally told him that he wanted to hold up aid to Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Until he got dirt on the Bidens, which is the whole thing. This is the heart of the entire impeachment thing.
Speaker 2: So I don't know how Senator Publics can justify not hearing from Bolton now, like there's no reason. Imagine an eyewitness to a murder wanted to testify and the judge just refused. You know, I was just like, your honor, I saw this man, and I saw the crime firsthand.
Speaker 1: Be like, I up, no spoilers, no spoilers. I want to see how it adds. And by the way, is Trump?
Speaker 2: Is Trump really gonna argue that John Bolton is just another disgruntled employee because I don't know about you, but he sure seems to have a lot of disgruntled employees.
Speaker 1: Like how come nobody ever leaves the White House gruntled?
Speaker 2: He's like, thank you, mister President, I am so gruntled to have worked with you. So Bolton's book has thrown a big, hairy curveball into this impeachment trial. But believe it or not, the Bolton revelations aren't the only big new piece of evidence because remember Lev Parnas, Yes, Rudy Giuliani's right hand man, and the count from Sesame Street well after Parnas said that he worked for Trump to get dirt on Joe Biden, Trump repeatedly claimed he has no idea who this man is. And that's even though they've they've repeated more photos together than Mariah carry and Christmas trees. So now the question is is Trump lying about not knowing Paras or is part US lying about knowing Trump.
Speaker 1: Well, it turns out upon Us has the receipts.
Speaker 27: Breaking overnight the release and an explosive new audiotape that reportedly features President Trump speaking to Igor Fruman and Lev Parnas at a dinner in twenty and eighteen.
Speaker 18: On the tape, a voice identified as Parnass can be heard telling Trump that the ambassador to Ukraine was bad mouthing him.
Speaker 34: Yeah, she's basically walking around telling everybody, Wait, he's going to get impeached. Just wait, I mean it's incredible.
Speaker 5: Get get her out, to take her out, Okay.
Speaker 34: Thanxscellent' do it.
Speaker 18: President Trump has repeatedly said he doesn't know Lev Parnas, but on the tape they talk in detail about Ukraine.
Speaker 2: White House Press Secretary Stephanie Grisham said the gathering doesn't mean the president knew of or even remembered lab Parnes.
Speaker 9: The president sits at many many dinners, at many many round.
Speaker 24: Tables with people that he does not know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the president has many many dinners, sometimes.
Speaker 1: All on the same nights. Come on, guys, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: You just can't keep pretending that Trump doesn't know this guy, right, Because first they said Trump wouldn't remember.
Speaker 1: All the people he takes photos with. Okay, I understand that.
Speaker 2: Now they're saying Trump can't remember all the people he has private dinners with.
Speaker 1: What's next they're gonna be like, Look, the president gets matching quid pro quote back tattoos with a lot of people. He can't be expected to remember all of that this afternoon.
Speaker 44: In a stunning argument when a president, Trump's top lawyers claimed any president has almost unlimited power, that his election is in the public interest, and so he said, Trump cannot be impeached.
Speaker 2: Every public official that I know believes that his election is in.
Speaker 34: The public interest.
Speaker 1: And if a president does something which he believes will help him get.
Speaker 6: Elected in the public interest, that cannot be the kind of quid pro quo that results in impeachment.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, we have finally arrived. First it was there was no quid pro quo. Then it was maybe there was a quid pro quo, but it was to help the country, not Donald Trump. And now it's like a man, the Donald gonna do what the Donald gonna do. Your little bitch ass does need to shut the hell up. So, just to be clear, the Trump team's argument is now that anything Trump does to get himself re elected is fine because his re election, in his mind, is good for the country.
Speaker 1: And then it's not impeachable anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so Trump can elude, Trump can obstruct and it's all good. Hell, he can even lock all the Democratic candidates in a room with Eric. Yeah, just be like, at some point one of you will eat the other and either way.
Speaker 1: I wait.
Speaker 2: There is no denying that this weekend was a big one for President Trump, and not just because the chef andd mar Lago made boob shaped burgers. No, it was big because Republican senators stopped witnesses from testifying at Trump's impeachment.
Speaker 1: Trump, and it wasn't for the reason that you might think.
Speaker 27: This weekend more senate Republicans admitted the president's actions were wrong and bad, but they insist not impeachable.
Speaker 45: I agreed he did something inappropriate, but I don't agree he did anything akin to treason, bribery, high crimes, and misdemeanor. Well, I mean, if you have eight witnesses who say someone left the scene of an accident, why do you need nine? I mean it's a question for me, was do I need more evidence to conclude that the president did what he did? And I concluded no.
Speaker 2: After months of claiming Trump did nothing wrong, many key Republicans have now settled on Look, man, it was bad, but not kicked the guy out bad. Yeah, Republicans basically treat Trump like white people treat their dogs, you know, short top, all the furniture pooped on the floor, and but the neighbor's kid.
Speaker 1: But who can stay married? A dead face? Who can step married? Dead face? He just wanted a qui quo. He wanted a who who went too? You want a jo?
Speaker 2: Today was the final day in the impeachment trial of Donald Jumbalia Trump, and no big surprise, he was acquitted by the Republican run Senates, which.
Speaker 1: Was never in doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, don't boot vote see impeachments.
Speaker 1: Was it was known like everyone knew where this was going.
Speaker 2: This This was like a movie where you can guess what was gonna happen without even watching it, you know, like Titanic. Okay, it's a ship that's going to sink or Sophie's choice. Some lady has to decide which dude she's gonna bone.
Speaker 1: I get it, I get it. So with the outcome, never in doubts.
Speaker 2: The only real drama today was whether any Republicans would dare vote against Donald Trump. And it turns out there was one man with binders full of courage.
Speaker 39: Republicans.
Speaker 20: Senator mit Romney emotionally announced on the Senate floor that he will break ranks and vote to convict and remove President Trump.
Speaker 46: The president asked a foreign government to investigate his political rival. The President's purpose was personal and political. Accordingly, the President is guilty of an appalling abuse of public trust. With my vote, I will tell my children and their children that I did my duty to the best of my ability, believing that my country expected it of me.
Speaker 1: That is shocking.
Speaker 29: That is.
Speaker 1: Shocking.
Speaker 2: Who would have thought that the most badass Republican in the Senate would end up being a Mormon dude named Mitz.
Speaker 1: And I gotta say, Mitz, you proved everyone wrong.
Speaker 2: The haters said you were as radical as a glass of skim milk, but they were wrong.
Speaker 1: Mitt your whole milk, my man. That's why whole milk fan.
Speaker 41: Now.
Speaker 2: Other than Romney, another Republican senator who was considered on the fence was also about Trump was Susan Collins of Maine.
Speaker 1: Right, but she decided that we.
Speaker 2: Don't need to throw Trump out because she thinks he's already been scared straight.
Speaker 35: There are some senators who could have cross party lines.
Speaker 25: Senator Susan Collins will not be one of them.
Speaker 13: I'm voting to a queed.
Speaker 14: I believe that the president has learned from this case.
Speaker 19: What do you believe the president has learned?
Speaker 13: The president has been impeached.
Speaker 29: That's a pretty big lesson.
Speaker 41: However, during a TV anchors lunch at the White House yesterday, Trump responded to questions about collins comments, saying he had done nothing wrong and that is conversation with Ukraine's president.
Speaker 35: Quote was a perfect call.
Speaker 2: Man, Donald Trump would be the hardest person to defend in courts.
Speaker 1: He'd be like, your honor, my client has learned his lesson. No, I haven't his days of selling drugs are over. Who wants cokain.
Speaker 2: Because clearly Trump hasn't learned a lesson. If anything, He's learned that he can do whatever he wants and Republicans will let him get away with it, but.
Speaker 1: First they're gonna shake their heads.
Speaker 25: Mmm.
Speaker 2: So basically, thanks to Senate Republicans, Trump is now free. He can just run through laws like he's got that super Mario invisibility style.
Speaker 1: That's what he can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's invincible, except Trump is more powerful than Mario because in this case, the turtles are on his side. Basically, basically, President Trump is off the hook. He's completely off the hook, and you know what that means. He's gonna let loose Tonight. He's gonna eat fifty burgers, bang a porn starck, and then he's gonna do something crazy.
Speaker 1: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 5: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 30: Plus Paramount Podcasts