Speaker 1: This media podcast.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Meet Eater Trivia, the only game show where conservation always wins. I'm your host, Spencer Newmarten. Today we're joined by Jannis, Randall, Brody, Seth, Tresa, Cory, and Hansei. This is a ten round quiz show with questions from Meat Eater's four verticals, which are hunting, fishing, conservation and cooking, and there is a prize. Meat Eater will donate five hundred dollars to the conservation organization of the winners choosing and for the start of the week. This week we're looking at the prevalence of perfect games. In twenty twenty four, we saw a big uptick in winners getting ten questions correct. Prior to last year we had five perfect games ever, but in twenty twenty four we had seven. Four of those we're from Randall and three were from Brody. On this new pace, we have perfect games about twelve percent of the time.
Speaker 3: Four Do we have stats on who besides Randall and Brody have gotten perfect games?
Speaker 2: I think it's only them and Steve. I think it's the perfect games are exclusive to those three.
Speaker 1: Huh wow. I would not have guessed that I had four.
Speaker 2: You had four, Brody had three one. There was one game where you guys died so humble you guys tied for a perfect game. That's right.
Speaker 1: That was fun.
Speaker 2: So the new pace is about one out of every ten episodes. We haven't had one yet in twenty twenty five though. Now here's our Infrequently Asked Questions segment. If you have a trivia related question for our crew, send it to Trivia at the medieater dot com with the subject line I f AQ. Nick Landry says, with all the cryptid talk lately, it got me wondering if anyone from the crew believes in Bigfoot or other cryptids, what do you guys say?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, okay, a big no from the room. We also had HANSI asked last week for the definition of cryptid. I looked it up. This is from Merriam Webster. It says an animal just sasquatch or lock ness that has been claimed to exist but never proven to exist. So that doesn't change anyone's.
Speaker 1: Mind what we're about like aliens.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't know if that's a cryptid. I suppose well, I think it bends the rules a little bit. There's like like skin walkers, like, you know, kind of move through portals. They say, so, is that an alien?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 2: I don't know. You think aliens are real?
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe what cryptid could most likely be real?
Speaker 1: Two inch mule deer, something at the bottom of the ocean.
Speaker 3: Mountain, lions in Pennsylvania, sup of cobbers.
Speaker 2: Okay, Fiel, do you believe in any cryptids?
Speaker 3: Absolutely? Not No, and I'm very judgmental towards people who do. So.
Speaker 2: Do you do you personally know some folks like outside of meat Eater No.
Speaker 3: Not not, not personally. I think I think if we if we lean into the ghosts department, I mean, I'm sure we all know people who believe. People in this room, I believe ghosts, but I think it's all rather silly. Okay, I do, sorry.
Speaker 1: Some validity in the the observation that if aliens and these mythical creatures are real, they're sure picking some interesting characters to come visit, you know.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, yeah, I'm with the randall. If there's a cryptid out there, it's at the bottom of the sea, yeah somewhere.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, it's too many trail cameras.
Speaker 2: That's right, too many cell phones handy as well.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, they don't show up on trail cameras.
Speaker 3: Oh I forgot that.
Speaker 2: I'd also use the example of a seilacn F last week. I should point out Cela cans were not cryptids, but cryptozoologists will use that to explain how cryptids could be real. Hey, we thought this thing was gone and then it shows up sixty five million years after we thought that they were swimming around the ocean. So cryptozoologists really love Azila can a SELACNT All right, no housekeeping this week, so we can get right to trivia. The Shelby index for today is a four point five, so our winner should get nine correct and and with that we're onto the game of trivia. Play the drop, Phil, Look, I need to know what I stand to win everything?
Speaker 1: How's that just tend to win everything? Demon suckers?
Speaker 2: Question one. The topic is conservation, and as always, this will be multiple choice. Which of these is not a fee free day in National Parks for twenty twenty five? Is it Martin Luther King Junior Day, Juneteenth Veterans Day or Christmas? Which of these is not a fee free day in National Parks for twenty twenty five? Your four choices, MLK Junior Day, Juneteenth, Veterans Day, Christmas.
Speaker 1: Tough one.
Speaker 2: This is a tough one to start out. I saw you give a little thumbs up to fill Randall while the drop was playing. What was that?
Speaker 3: I fed them all the answers.
Speaker 1: Oh, no, it's just that the drops sounded good today.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it hit with some extra clarity.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, put a little bump in the lower range and the high range. Give it that.
Speaker 1: And you know, my headphones weren't working for the first few moments of this game until Corey solved the mystery of the unplugged headphones.
Speaker 3: So oh wow, oh thanks.
Speaker 1: I was thrown off my game. But then when I heard the drop, I felt uh huh okay, empowered again again. Three of the one of them.
Speaker 2: Three of them are fee free days, one of them is not. Is it Martin Luther King Junior Day, June teenth, Veterans Day? Or Christmas? Is everybody ready?
Speaker 6: No?
Speaker 2: How many?
Speaker 3: You got it?
Speaker 2: Narrow down to?
Speaker 1: Yanni?
Speaker 2: Four? Yeah?
Speaker 6: Four?
Speaker 1: This is one of those questions. We can't really narrow it down. No.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're all federal holidays.
Speaker 1: If you've got your annual pass.
Speaker 2: That's right. If you pay your eighty dollars at the beginning of the year. Janny, I think we're waiting on you. You ready go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth saying Juneteenth, Jannis, June teenth, Corey, Christmas, Randall, Christmas, Hansei, MLKDA, Tressa, Christmas, Brody Christmas. The correct answer is Christmas. I think about more than half of our players got that right. There are seven fee free days for national parks this year. They are the National Day of Mourning for President Jimmy Carter, MLKDA, the first day of National Park Week, Juneteenth, the anniversary of the Great American outs Act, National Public Lands Day, and Veterans Day.
Speaker 1: An interesting assortment.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how they select their seven fee free days. I notice a lot of them seem like they avoid the summer when the traffic is highest. Besides maybe Juneteenth.
Speaker 3: Does that change every year?
Speaker 2: I tried to look back for twenty twenty four. It was almost the same besides the Jimmy Carter Morning Day, so it's been that way for a little while. Question to the topic is trapping. This is our listener Question of the Week, which was won by Michael Galing. For sending this great question. Michael is going to get a board game signed by the crew. If you want a chance to win the listener Question of the Week, then send your question to Trivia at the medeater dot com. This five letter word is another name for a short tailed weasel or ermine. This five letter word is another name for a short tailed weasel or ermine. Do you have this one right if.
Speaker 7: I'm remembering correctly.
Speaker 6: Okay, I just saw one of these the other day's doing digging in the snow.
Speaker 1: It was probably two feet of snow.
Speaker 6: He was jumping around on top, and then all of a sudden he disappeared, Pop up three four feet.
Speaker 7: Where are they?
Speaker 5: There's some hanging here somewhere in there.
Speaker 2: All right behind Seth. Seth has some some there. He's now showing them to the camera. Maybe that'll inspire the answer for the five letter word. That's another name for a short tailed weasel.
Speaker 7: A step through short.
Speaker 2: The tails are long. They look extra magical in the snow. Yeah, those things look like cryptids the way they move.
Speaker 6: A little bit. I'd hate to be a mouse near one of.
Speaker 2: Those five letter words. That's another name for short tailed weasel or mine. This one, right, I think?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: One of the greatest wildlife encounters we've ever had at our old place was we had everybody there for the holidays and one of those buggers run around chasing a rabbit and it lasted an hour or more, and the rabbit keep getting away. They'd get caught up and it'd be a big skirmish, yeah, everywhere, and then they get away again. And before that, ermine stayed on him and eventually killed it.
Speaker 5: Taking down something that weighs ten times more than that.
Speaker 4: Pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: What do they do with one of those things when they get him? I assume they like fill up then, But do they cash them anywhere?
Speaker 4: He did drag him off.
Speaker 1: Her maybe, So.
Speaker 2: We have Yanni and Brody are the only two players who were confident. Do you'd like your Auntsier, Cory, No, I don't like it. Think how about you, Randall?
Speaker 1: I'm having trouble with the five letter parts, which I assume is key.
Speaker 2: Okay, do our other players give up?
Speaker 7: Oh, Seth, you're gonna know when he says that, I know, I know?
Speaker 2: Randall? Oh yeah, go ahead, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth without an answer, Janni says stoat, Cory says merit. Randall without an answer, Hansey says that's Marks says wezeh.
Speaker 7: And the last thing.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 2: The correct answer is stow t. Yanni and Brodie got that one.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I've never even heard that s t o a t I heard?
Speaker 7: Is that more of a like a British name.
Speaker 2: I think Europeans are more likely to use it. Stoat comes from the Dutch word stout, which means bold. They are the second smallest weasel in the world, just out weighing the least weasel. In general, bigger animals have longer gestation periods, but Stoat's buck that trend. They have a gestation period of two hundred and eighty days, which is similar to bison, moose, and humans.
Speaker 4: That's interesting. Question has heard that they call that You call it a short tail weasel in the summer, and then when it changes its coat you call it a ermine in the winter or stout?
Speaker 2: Question three, The topic is hunting. This brand started making jewelry in eighteen ninety five and binoculars in nineteen thirty five. Half of the room has already wrote down their answer. Randall, Cory Yanni and Seth are confident. This brand started making jewelry in eighteen ninety five and binoculars in nineteen thirty five. Anzi, you got this one right, I think? So? Do you own any of this jewelry or binoculars?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't mind. Yeah, I wouldn't mind owning some of it.
Speaker 3: But I don't can't afford it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a hint from Seth.
Speaker 4: It's always funny though when you see this brand that say, I don't know they shall have mallst wars.
Speaker 8: Yeah, another hint, like what let's keep going with?
Speaker 2: To be honest, a lot of chatter. Trista could use another hint if you got one. I know the word is okay, I couldn't think of it. Well, might be wrong.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're going to direct.
Speaker 6: Or not.
Speaker 1: You get that one for free, but the next one's gonna cost you.
Speaker 2: You may have a one hundred percenter here this when Everybody wins started making jewelry and eighteen eighty five and binoculars in nineteen thirty five. Go ahead and reveal your answers.
Speaker 4: Every kid begins with k oh.
Speaker 2: The whole room says Swarovski. They got it. The correct answer is Sworowsky. Taarovsky was started in Austria as a high quality crystal and gemstone company. The founder son made their first pair of binos using the same technology and machines that were used for fabricating jewelry. The brand followed up the success of their first binos by making rifle scopes in nineteen fifty nine and telescopes in nineteen ninety one. Question four the topic is public lands. This next great question is via Moses Taffle. The Ruby Ridge standoff, which Randy Weaver claims was incorrectly named, happened in this state. The Ruby Ridge standoff, which Randy Weaver claims was incorrectly named, happened in this state.
Speaker 4: Who's Randy Weaver?
Speaker 2: Tell you about it?
Speaker 1: The flame text?
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: The first few times I met Steve, he asked me if anybody ever called me Randy Weaver?
Speaker 2: Do you look like him?
Speaker 1: I don't know, what's just the name is similar?
Speaker 2: Randal willis Randall?
Speaker 1: Do you go by Randy? Does anyone ever call you Randy Weaver? He did that on at least three separate occasions, and the first time I said no, and I thought to myself, am I thinking of the same Randy Weaver. And then yeah, subsequently it is clear that he was thinking of this Randy Weaver as well.
Speaker 2: Doctor Randy Weaver. That's what we will refer to.
Speaker 1: You as Randall's.
Speaker 4: The first time that we met was when you came to do the podcast to talk about your dissertation.
Speaker 1: At a at an Airbnb in Seattle.
Speaker 4: That's right.
Speaker 1: What was the dissertation, my my PhD dissertation on Hunting and Politics and the Modern United States?
Speaker 2: Here you are now again, there going to be Ridge stand up, which Randall Williams claims was incorrectly named happened in this state.
Speaker 1: No such thing.
Speaker 9: Everybody ready, I've got a factoid for this one. Perfect, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have said yes, and Yanni saying Idaho. Corey says Oregon, Randall says Idaho. Hansi says Kansas. Tresa and a Brody say Idaho. The correct answer is Idaho.
Speaker 1: People seem to write it down fast.
Speaker 4: So I was like, what's at Oklahoma, Kansas?
Speaker 1: I was like Oklahoma, Kansas?
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 2: Andy Weaver was a white supremacist who was wanted for illegally selling firearms and eleven days standoff happened when US marshalls shot and killed his dog and son while surveiling while surveilling Weaver's property. Weaver's wife and a US marshall were also killed in the siege. Weaver later said the media incorrectly identified the ridge he lived on as Ruby Ridge when it was actually Cariboo Ridge. Deputy Marshall Dave Hunt agreed with Weaver, later saying in an interview that the wrong name always bothered him. So it should have been the Cariboo Ridge standoff, not the Ruby Ridge standoff.
Speaker 1: So I have a friend who grew up in Standpoint and her dad was fishing Ruby Creek on the day that this all started. Oh and he had to take like a four hour detour home.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's all I got. Yeah, the day before, the Weaver family also went fishing on Ruby Creek. I don't remember what they were celebrating, but they caught some trout cooked him right on the water there. And I had also read that the US marshals they thought this was going to be a quick arrest. They all had a fishing trip planned the next day too, like the day that everything went down. Question five. The topic is wildlife Western timber pigmy mojave, tiger, blacktail, and great basin are all types of this animal. For specificity, if you think it's a lab, say lab rather than dog or black lab. That's how specific you need to be. Western timber pigmy mojave tiger, blacktail, and great basin are all types of this animal.
Speaker 3: Are you leaving any hour? Or is this all of them?
Speaker 2: Not going to tell you anything? Again? This is question five. We'll get a scoreboard update from Fill the engineer after this. Western timber pigmy mojave tiger, blacktail, and great basin are all types of this animal. See some writing and erasing happening.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 2: Do you like your answer?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Kind of okay, kind of likes his answer. I think this could keep the perfect game going for him.
Speaker 1: Mmmmm.
Speaker 2: Western timber pigmy mojave tiger, blacktail, and great basin are all types of this animal. Does anyone else like their answer?
Speaker 4: I like mine?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: I believe I've seen.
Speaker 2: A couple maybe three of these all right?
Speaker 4: Where at one was in Arizona.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, he's getting an actual hint here. Randall, you like your answer?
Speaker 4: Not in the least okay, Oh, Randall, yeah, I know, you know it is.
Speaker 2: Everybody ready, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth saying Salamandrianna says rattlesnake, Cordy rattlesnake, Randall tortoise, Hansi rattlesnake, Tresa snake, Brody rattlesnake. The correct answer is rattlesnake. Rhythroom did pretty well, that's right. By some counts, there are more than thirty types of rattlesnakes in North America. The Eastern diamondback is the biggest venomous snake on the continent, growing up to eight feet long and thirty five pounds some source of thirty five pounds. Some sources claim the mortality rate for humans struck by Eastern diamondbacks is forty percent.
Speaker 8: I know trust is like dying and if you're giving her, yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm sure she can have that one. I did say you need to be as specific as lab, so don't write down dog or black lab Testse can have.
Speaker 1: The point is that you're right in there.
Speaker 3: Seth and Hanse have two points, Randal and Corey have three. Jannis and Trusta have four. Yeah, and with a perfect game is Brodie Henderson.
Speaker 2: Question six, the topic is mountain men. This next great question is via Michael Corter. This person whose biography declared him California's greatest mountain man was related to Samuel Adams and John Quincy Adams.
Speaker 4: Oh, there just happens to be a guy in the room that's been working on a mountain project.
Speaker 1: Have you know this has nothing to do with anything that.
Speaker 4: Little bit of a little bone ski there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, not even that.
Speaker 4: It's not even that.
Speaker 5: It's like slam dump.
Speaker 2: This person on whose biography declared him California's greatest mountain man was related to Samuel Adams and John Quincy Adams.
Speaker 7: It's like saying, what kind of dog does you? Honest? Betellas just like that.
Speaker 2: Randall, do you have this one right?
Speaker 1: I think?
Speaker 2: So, okay, Brody, do you have this one right?
Speaker 7: Maybe I remember the story.
Speaker 4: So I feel like someone recently was talking about this because I feel like the related that the Adams Adams.
Speaker 2: Again, their biography declared them California's greatest mountain man, and they're related to Samuel Adams and John Quincy Adams. Brody and Randall.
Speaker 7: Oh, I don't count me among the ones.
Speaker 2: That I'm saying you're the only players who haven't answered. We'll say Randall's the only confident player.
Speaker 7: Then, hey, Randall, you know you should write some books on mountain man.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well Randall did give a hint. He said what he let's not give nothing to do with uh this question?
Speaker 7: So so it's a trick question.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I'm just telling you what Randall said.
Speaker 1: Well, I just meant that he wasn't he didn't make the cut.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, another hint from Randall.
Speaker 7: He didn't make the cut for the book that Randall Rode on mountain.
Speaker 4: Many discussed how many times Randall read this fellow's name, and he was researching for this book.
Speaker 2: This person whose biography declared him California's greatest mountain man.
Speaker 8: Last night, when you guys were talking about the questions that Pencer's going to write, Randall.
Speaker 7: Did you give him this one?
Speaker 2: Michael, I was busy less.
Speaker 3: Did you give him some good flavor text?
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Yeah? Sure, go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth saying mister Adams, Johnny says, Hugh Glass, Corey says Bishop Adams. Randall says Grizzly Adams. Christ Hansei says grizzly Adams. For Essa says John Cracker. Brody says Jededi Smith. The correct answer was Grizzly Adams. Hansie and Randall got that.
Speaker 1: It would have been a weird question if there wasn't so much context there for the rest of the relationship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. The grizzly Adams was born in Massachusetts in eighteen twelve. In his early years he worked as a shoemaker and caretaker of exotic animals. Then he moved to California during the Gold Rush, which is when he started his mountain Man era of hunting and trapping. This is also when he got famous for capturing wild animals like grizzlies that he'd raise his pets. Question seven, Do you have any flavor texts to add to that? Randall?
Speaker 1: No, he headed west in eighteen forty six, and no, yes, well, well, our our book focuses on the rendezvous erav.
Speaker 7: Yeah, wasn't the mountain Man era like done?
Speaker 1: I mean, there's still mountain men, you know, but like the classic Rocky Mountain Rendezvous era, the last rendezvous in eighteen forty.
Speaker 2: So Grizzly Adams shows up like six years late.
Speaker 1: Yea, make the cut like Jeremiah Johnson that Steve likes to point out.
Speaker 2: Question seven. The topic is woodsmanship. The National Weather Service describes this type of snowstorm as quote when cold air, often originating from Canada, moves across the open waters of the Great Lakes. This is question seven. The National Weather Service describes this type of snowstorm as when cold air, often originating from Canada, moves across the open waters of the Great Lakes.
Speaker 3: So when you were talking with Bowie last night about.
Speaker 2: The questions, yes, oh yeah, I reached out.
Speaker 3: He grew up his entire life dealing with this ship. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I got a few snow days out of this.
Speaker 2: Okay. So our players from Pennsylvania and Michigan are confidence.
Speaker 1: I mean, we all saw the AFC playoffs this weekend.
Speaker 2: There's little hints from.
Speaker 1: I figured, as long as we're doing this, do you have this one right?
Speaker 2: Randall?
Speaker 1: I do?
Speaker 2: Okay, how about you Corey?
Speaker 4: No, I'll tell you what the Montana boy.
Speaker 6: We had some pretty nasty water in the you know, flathead lake effect snow that we get, okay, but they're not that great Trusty, you're still keeping pace with our winners.
Speaker 2: Do you have a chance? Okay again question seven. The National Weather Service describes this type of snowstorm as when cold air, often originating from Canada, moves across the open waters of the Great Lakes.
Speaker 7: Boy Spencer, back in my day, we used to get some big ones.
Speaker 2: Okay, Is everybody ready?
Speaker 1: That was shortly after Grizzly Adams.
Speaker 2: Brody.
Speaker 7: They knew each other before global warming started.
Speaker 2: Is everybody ready? Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth Andy Honest saying lake effect, you safect, but then he wrote down blizzard. Randall says lake effect, Hansi lake effect, Tressa says snow flurry, and Brody says lake effect. The correct answer is lake effect. If you'd rewind, you'd hear Corey say we got some pretty big flathead lake effects.
Speaker 1: Snowstuffs in the post.
Speaker 3: We could do that scrubbing there is sure you're giving me more work random, it'll be fun.
Speaker 2: This episode only comes out in like sixteen hours.
Speaker 6: We had some pretty nasty water in the you know, flathead lake effect snow that we'd get, okay, but they're not that great.
Speaker 2: The States most impacted by lake effects snow are referred to as the snow Belt, which includes portions of Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, and Vermont. This region is also home to America's four snowiest cities, which are Syracuse, Eerie, Rochester, and Buffalo. Question eight, the topic is cooking. McCormick says, this ingredient has a subtle licorice flavor and is what brings Italian sausage and marinara sauce to life. We have some confident players in the room. Question eight, the topic is cooking. McCormick says, this ingredient has a quote subtle licorice flavor and is what brings Italian sausage and Marinera sauce to life.
Speaker 1: I just assumed the Weather Service would have had a better name for.
Speaker 7: It, lake effects snow, lake effect warnings.
Speaker 1: M M, that's what it is, a lake effect warning. It's a type of blizzard.
Speaker 8: You want me to explain it to yesser Midwest.
Speaker 1: It's a type of weather.
Speaker 8: The weather comes, the cold there comes over the warm lakes and.
Speaker 2: It makes that noise. Wake up to the snow.
Speaker 1: Day and then Josh Allen goes out and plays in it.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, Lake Effect.
Speaker 1: Mount Bohemia.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, those things are great.
Speaker 8: We'd occasionally get a day off from school for those things.
Speaker 4: Did you guys know that today is a National Squirrel Appreciation Day?
Speaker 2: Of course I didn't. How are you going to celebrate?
Speaker 4: I just found out myself, just, you know, minutes before we started playing trivia.
Speaker 2: So did someone tell you happy national?
Speaker 4: Yeah? My wife send me a little text about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's everybody ready.
Speaker 3: A squirrel conservation group.
Speaker 7: I don't know, but there.
Speaker 2: Should be one way for Yanni to start Rocky Mount Squirrels. Mm hmm. Is everybody ready again? McCormick says, this ingredient has a subtle licorice flavor and is what brings Italian sausage and Marinaire sauce to life. Go ahead and reveal your answers. We have Seth and Yanni and Corey and Randall saying fennel. Hansi says, uh, fennel seed.
Speaker 7: Are those two things the same thing?
Speaker 3: They are?
Speaker 2: Tressa says tobacco. Brody says fennel. The correct answer is fennel. The room did very well well.
Speaker 3: The fennel that grows like you wouldn't call that fennel seed. But I think the fennel that's used in cooking is fennel seed.
Speaker 1: But is it?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we're talking about yeah. He said, how do you pronounce it? And I think it's all said it differently. I don't not star anise and I don't care. Yeah, so you can. You can have fennel seed flavor is described as bold and sweet with warm notes of licorice. It's commonly used in Spanish, Italian, and Middle Eastern Cuisines. Some recipes on our website that feature it include venison lasagnia, goose skewers, roasted hog loin, and venison salami. You could have given me ten chances to describe fennel seed flavor and I would have never come up with licorice. So you guys would have.
Speaker 7: Said, oh yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Once once I read it it made sense, I was like, it does taste like licorice.
Speaker 1: I would Christian, I wrote down, the flavor is called the flavor is called anasat is the name of that liquorice flavor. Well, we learned, and then I just thought more about Italian sausage, and I thought, I don't know about Annis and Italian sausage, but I know Fennel.
Speaker 3: I used to use ana so oil for catching coons when I was trapping.
Speaker 2: They like that.
Speaker 5: We used to, we used to, uh do some fish s thence yeah, and what.
Speaker 2: Coons don't like? What don't coons like traps? To give us a scoreboard update.
Speaker 3: Let's see here, Seth and Tresa, you hung on tight, but uh Corey too, That's right, Sorry, Corey. And then we've got Hansi with five points. Randall and Giannis have six points apiece in first place, still with seven points with Prody Henderson.
Speaker 2: Question nine. The topic is conservation and this next great question is via Leland hard They two of the five states with the most acres of military owned land.
Speaker 1: O goodness.
Speaker 2: This is question nine. The topic is conservation, named two of the five states with the most acres of military owned land. Brody has a one point lead. Right now, Randall has already come up with his answers. Randall, do you like your answers?
Speaker 1: Feel pretty good?
Speaker 2: Two of the five states, feel pretty good?
Speaker 1: Brody?
Speaker 2: How many answers do you ever written?
Speaker 6: Dout?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 2: Okay? Two of the five states with the most acres of military owned land. Randall is wearing his Ohio State University shirt today. He declared it's the same shirt he was wearing last night, which he decorated with a little chili.
Speaker 1: Yes, just minor droplets down by the waist on the front side. Things didn't get that crazy.
Speaker 4: Oh it's terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, me and Lebron were celebrating pretty hard last night. He was on the TV. I was just watching it. But uh huh in the world, yep, the.
Speaker 4: He was wearing an interesting Uh it's like an Araq almost Did you notice that?
Speaker 2: What that that piece?
Speaker 4: What's that?
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 4: What is an in.
Speaker 1: Parka with this typically doesn't zip all the way down. It's like a quarter zip.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Was he in a box and he was wearing that.
Speaker 4: Well, but it wasn't a It wasn't an insulated in Iraq. It was more of just a shirt waight in Iraq? But uh, yeah, I noticed.
Speaker 2: It, Yanni, with a lot of thoughts on fashion. I noticed.
Speaker 1: I bet Savannah picked it out for him. Who's that his wife, She's got a real fashion sense. M or Zuri his daughter Jesus, who is Maximus and Ron James Junior.
Speaker 2: How are we doing over here? Brody keep talking? Okay, he wants wants.
Speaker 1: Arizona fans are going crazy right now because they just secured Bryce locked him up. It's exciting Arizona.
Speaker 2: What Arizona wild Wildcats their basketball team? And name two of the five states with the most acres of military owned land. Is everybody ready? Go ahead? And we have sat saying Nevada, New Mexico. Giannis says Wisconsin, North Carolina, Cordy says Texas, Nevada, Randall says Nevada, California. Hansi says Nevada, New Mexico. Tresa says Florida, California. Brody crossed out Wyoming and he went with New Mexico and Alaska. The five states are New Mexico, California, Nevada, Arizona, and Alaska. God, there was a groan when it was revealed that Brody got that one right. He correctly chose Alaska instead of Wyoming. New Mexico has nearly four million acres of military owned land, which is the most in the United States. The other states in the top ten are Utah, Texas, Washington, Florida, and Georgia. Through the Sikes Act, the Departments of Interior and Defense are obligated to work together to manage natural resources on military land, and thanks to the Angle Act, hunting and fishing became legal on some of the bases. Bell give us another scoreboard update before we do the final question.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's down to Brody and Randall. Brody has eight, Randall has seven, but Jannison Hanse have six points.
Speaker 4: Apiece, It's nothing to stick your nose up at nice showing Hansei that.
Speaker 1: Last minute adjustment.
Speaker 6: We missed our question about cypressco a little fishing is that would have been a little review on that.
Speaker 2: Now here is a correct answer. Review so far. One was Christmas, Two was Stout three, Swarovski four, Idaho five, Rattlesnake six, Grizzly Adams seven, Lake Effect eight, Fennel. Nine was New Mexico, California, Nevada, Arizona, and Alaska. Here's question ten. The topic is fishing. The US Forest Service defines this six letter word as quote the shallower, faster moving sections of a stream where rocks break the water surface. Brody, confident wrote down his answer, seems as though he has won the game.
Speaker 3: How often did you use this word when you were a fishing guide, Brody?
Speaker 7: Quite often, you think so.
Speaker 2: The US Forest Service defines this six letter word as the shallower, faster moving sections of a stream where rocks break the water surface. If I may, okay.
Speaker 1: Uh, it's it asks. It says sections plural.
Speaker 2: It's not. The answer is not plural.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's just check.
Speaker 2: The US Forest Service defines this six letter word as the shallower, faster moving sections of a stream where rocks break the water surface.
Speaker 1: What percentage of your question tens are in the category of fishing?
Speaker 2: I don't know. Does it seem seems like it?
Speaker 7: Spencer and I talk about that the night before the game.
Speaker 1: It's always anticlimactic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I brought this up a couple of weeks. It's like, it's like we get to question nine, I need to get one on Brody, and then it's the categories fishing.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna have to look into this.
Speaker 3: It's noticeable. It happens a lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks Phil.
Speaker 2: I'm going to review some scripts now and try to get back to you on that one to be.
Speaker 7: Fair change first, or I'll ask questions it creates be.
Speaker 1: More interesting to me. It would be more interesting to me if it.
Speaker 7: Sounds like you're saying, it's like is everybody?
Speaker 4: I agree the last question should be broad, it should be but difficult.
Speaker 2: I also, I also don't want to make it where every question ten is where you're like, Okay, I know this is a tough one, so the answer wouldn't be like too obvious. No, I understand that I have people have made that request before, but I don't want to stack the game in a way that you can like sort of predict the difficult.
Speaker 7: To you, you're doing a great job.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brody. I go ahead and reveal your answers. We have seth saying wrapped rapid uh Giannis says riffle, Corey, riffle, Randall, riffle, Hansei, riffle. Tressa says nervous. Brody says riffle. The correct answer is riffle. Most streams have a basic pattern that's explained by the riffle pool run sequence. Riffles are the shallowest, fastest moving parts of a waterway. They create pools by carving out the bottom and sides of the stream. Then after that comes a run where the water is deep like a pool and fast like a riffle that makes Brody our winner with nine correct answers. Congratulations, Brody. What do you want to do with your five hundred dollars donation today?
Speaker 8: I get since we got a new administration coming in that always throws like conservation and public access stuff like things change, so we need a group that can work with the new administration.
Speaker 2: So we'll go with the TRCP. Brody sending five hundred dollars to TRCP. Join us next week for more meat Eater trivia on the game show where conservation always wins.
Speaker 1: Thanks Spencer, Thank.
Speaker 10: You, Yes Spencer from South Dakota. He's the host, using those smooth mellow tones. He lays them questions down. He likes taking those two and three year old bucks. It is an avid amateur