Speaker 1: The following episode was recorded before the WGA sag Aftra strikes of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: When I first heard about the revolution in Iran, it just made me think so much about how truly grateful I am for the freedoms of my daughter and my wife. Gosh, there's so much that we take for granted here in this country. Yes, we have a long way to go in terms of equality, gender equality, and things like the Equal Rights Amendment that still hasn't been able to pass. But at the same time, there's parts of the world where being a woman limits your opportunities. To have a society that is based on that and on those traditions of silencing the voices of these incredible women is really a tragedy, and I think that it's very inspiring to me to see these women that have risen up and Iran and Afghanistan and other countries. I have a tremendous privilege as a man, and the safety that I feel traveling most places in the world is something that is very very easy to take for granted. So today we have nazanin Boniati and her guest Roya, both from Iran. They've got some very very powerful stories to share. This is a very very timely issue, so please lean in. I'm glad you're here. Okay, here we are with Nozanin Boniatti. Now, first off, did I get it even close to being right?
Speaker 3: I'm so impressed you nailed it.
Speaker 2: Listen, that is a star's name. I mean a change your name. Did you change your name?
Speaker 3: No? In fact, a lot of people told me to change my name, and I thought, you know, I started act and sort of about post nine to eleven climates, so it was you know, nobody's going to that's not going to resonate with anyone. You'll you'll be stuck, stuck playing sort of human shields for the rest of your life exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah. What were some of the worst names that they suggested?
Speaker 3: A lot of people wanted me to be named Nina, Like my first name to be changed from Nazanine to Nina. Well that's still kind of Iranian, but you can, you know, it's westernized, and I think very few people had a huge name with a problem with my last name. It was mainly just sort of the first name. But you know, you have so many great Iranian actors with incredibly sort of complex and gorgeous names like shre Alta shlu and and why not. I mean, that's why not.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, it's people have actually asked me if I changed my name to Bacon because I thought, you know, that that would be as somehow would I don't know, And I'm like, what kind of a fool would want to be? You know, have a lifetime of jokes about your last name being a breakfast food and I was, I couldn't believe it when when people, I mean, I can't. I don't think I ever really thought about switching it. But you know, also there's a very very large population of the of the world that the name Bacon does not bring up good feelings.
Speaker 3: Oh well, yeah, I never thought of that. But you know what, I really I dig your name and thank you she didn't Thank goodness you didn't change it.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you so much for saying that. You know, a lot of times when people come on the actor pretty much everybody that's been on this on this podcast, we try to, I try to think about or actually do research into whether or not there are actually any connections because of this, you know, six degrees thing. Yeah, and I don't think that we've ever worked together in the same project as far as I can tell. Now, I'm absolutely certain that you've worked with someone that I've worked with, although I'm not exactly sure who that who that necessarily is. But one connection that we do have is a history of soap operas.
Speaker 3: Oh, I didn't know that. Which one were you on?
Speaker 2: Well? I started in the seventies in New York and one of the first soap opera that I did was called Search for Tomorrow. Oh not, it doesn't even exist anymore. And I was a boy who just in for the summer, and the reason that I was there was there was a very very popular young lady who was in the course of that summer going to turn sixteen and have her first kiss, and I was going to be the kiss, but it was kind of the build up to that. And then I went on to The Guiding Light, which I was on for a year as Tim the Teenage Alcoholics. So how did you find in your way to to soaps?
Speaker 3: I mean, it was right the beginning of my career, and I feel like goodness now I'm thinking back. It was a very long time ago, and I I appreciated the fact that it was like boot camp because you're learning what an episode of dialogue a day, and it's just it's a lot and you're making I made all my mistakes on screen. I mean I cringed sometimes when I look back at those episodes, and I'm like, what was I thinking? I mean, I was headed to medical school. I was going to be a doctor, like every good Iranian girl is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: Wow, what kind of medicine were you going to do?
Speaker 3: I was thinking pediatric oncology, which would have been hugely depressing. But I'm wow, yeah, yeah, And I graduated with honors in pre med and then I became a nurse on general hospital. So my dad was like, that makes no sense to me.
Speaker 2: You got the motive, You got the motor was it became an actor. Doesn't that happen to us a lot? I think got a lot of that. Yeah, you know, yeah, you know you you you work so hard as a waiter and then you know your first job is as a busboy in a movie. You know, But that's but that's that's fascinating. So but take me back to you were born in Iran, correct, Yes, and and you left right around the time of the revolutionary right after the.
Speaker 3: Rainy Revolutionary Yeah, right after the Islamic Revolution, which was seventy nine, and so I was What actually happened was my parents tried to leave when my mother was eight months pregnant, and then you know, a scene straight out of Argo. Basically, my father's name was announced on the PA system at the airport as they were trying to leave, and mister Bonneli was summoned to the revolutionary court. And what that meant was they were both dissidentced they didn't they were opposed to the newly forming Islamic Republic, and they they realized that raising a child in that environment where political, social, legal rights were just quickly being stripped away from people wouldn't be a good thing. And my dad would probably be executed because he was against the regime.
Speaker 2: And so was he was he a doctor? Was he in medicine as well?
Speaker 3: He was a journalist. Journalist, you know, they don't like gen they don't like anybody who sort of uses free expression. He worked for the King's newspaper, So anybody who worked under the former guard that was sort of like target public enemy number one, and so we were summoned. I happened to be born while he was waiting for his court date, which you would have most likely been just summarily executed, and we managed to escape on fake passports, you know, twenty days or something after.
Speaker 2: Where did you fly? Where did you fly? London?
Speaker 3: That's that's where I was raised. We got political asylum in London. My uncle was there at the time, so it made sense. My parents obviously knew a tiny bit of English because it was like the second language, second or third language at the time being taught, and Iran and it just made most sense. And so I grew up in London and council flats and bed and breakfasts, and I managed to sort of get a scholarship to a private school because I studied really hard. The typical immigrant story of parents wanting their kids to sort of be successful and you know, yeah, wow.
Speaker 2: What a story. Now, So the passports had to be gathered off of like the black market or something like that or no.
Speaker 3: Actually, oddly enough, the guy who took over the newspaper that my father was working for, in which he was sort of head chief accountant and occasionally wrote as well. He he was he worked for the new government, the new regime, but he took a liking to my dad and he said, look, you will be executed. You need to get out, and he helped us escape and then a year later he was executed.
Speaker 2: Oh so yeah, wow, that is so story. Yeah, and I guess this has probably happened to a lot of people. I mean, yeah, I actually just had dinner with a man the other night who had a very very similar story but ended up in England and went to school in the UK. So you're there living in London and what did your parents do then, I mean did they just kind of fundy any job they could or.
Speaker 3: Yeah, menial jobs. You know. It was a huge again, much like any other sort of refugee where you leave sort of a stable life, things that you're familiar with in know, and perhaps even great success, and you leave and you have to sort of start from scratch, except for this as a young couple. My mother was twenty at the time, my dad was thirty, and I was twenty days when we got to London, so you can imagine, and it adds a lot of pressure to a couple who don't really know the language or how to navigate life at such a young age.
Speaker 2: And then what was the evil cup that you dragged become an actor. That made you go, I think I'm not going to save you know, babies, I think I'll be an actor.
Speaker 3: Oh goodness, I feel like Okay. So I was in every single high school play. I was very sort of artistic growing up, but it was always encouraged that that would well, that's just your hobby, right, so's you can do that. You can go take ballet classes and do ice skating performances on the ice rink, and you can play the violin, and you can be in every high school play. But that's always just going to be a hobby. I think it's just ingrained in our culture that we have to be academic. It's a running joke Iranians have to be doctors. You have lots of choices, doctor, engineer, lawyer, dentist. Those are your option, and I chose sort of like I thought. I always knew I wanted to help people. I thought, well, medicine, that's just how I'm going to help people. And I sort of suppressed the artistic side. And then I got to a point where I got my I studied so hard, Kevin, I thought it just didn't come naturally to me to get a's so to get the a's and to graduate with honors, I went to UC. I went to UC Irvine, I moved for university and I thought, okay, I just had to study so hard. It didn't come naturally at all. So when I graduated with honors, I remember thinking this is great, but it just ruined, like it ruined every ounce of my soul. Again, it didn't come naturally, and the arts did and do. So it feels like I made the right choice.
Speaker 2: Oh well, clearly you made the right choice. Just as I'm just circling back, just thinking about something. As a scholarship student in a London school or in the British school system and being an Iranian refugee, did you find that people were welcoming? I mean, I'm assuming that there weren't a lot a lot of other uh you and they'll have a lot of friends who were who were Ranian.
Speaker 3: No. In fact, I think there it might have only been one more Iranian person in There was one rounding guy in my class, I think maybe in all my school. And yeah, I mean that was just a huge difference between I would go home to a council flat government which is government housing, and then go to this really push school with you know, a bunch of rich kids, and you know, I counted my blessings every day that I got to sort of get that education. But yeah, the two lives that I led sort of at home and were very different.
Speaker 2: And how is how did you Was it a kind of a culture shock to land in southern California and see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it is. It's odd. It's I mean, I'm sure you spent a lot of time in the UK. We speak the same language, but it is it's hugely different.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure it is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So yeah, people sort of take it for granted, like I just moved to London or I just moved to la But it is. It takes them adjusting, and it's it's just different.
Speaker 2: So you're in California and you're finishing up medical school and you have this giant, giant fork in the road and you take a different turn. Yeah, how is it?
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 2: I'm assuming, like I'm not really sure on the I didn't I didn't go to college. I'm not sure on the math of what you'd be in your twenties maybe or Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I finished pre med, so I got a degree in biology, and I was applying to medical school and I was twenty four, I guess twenty five. And that's when I when I decided I wanted to I actually wanted to act. And I called my dad who's still in London, and I said, thanks for helping me with college, but I'm going to go act now. Needless to say, that didn't that didn't necessarily go down very well.
Speaker 2: Ah, I can't imagine. I mean, I've not picturing like an emoji with your with his head blow it off.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Wow, he was not happy. No, I'm sure he's been that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: He said something along the lines of, couldn't you have decided this, like maybe four or five years ago before we before we invested sort of five years for four or five years in college.
Speaker 2: How do you even begin, you know, to to have that career? I mean, I mean, I think people are always fascinated in what you know. How how do you start to be an actor?
Speaker 3: Gosh, I wish there was I'm sure you get asked this question all the time, and I wish there was sort of this like just one answer that we could give everyone and help them along the way. It is sort of hit or miss, and you try everything. And for me, just because I just graduated UNI. I thought, okay, I'm just going to go to U C LA and USC and asked to be in every single student film and put a reel together and work for free and then submit to get sort of a manager and see how that goes. I was really lucky because you know, everybody said, you're in your mid twenties as an actress. As a woman, it's harder as a minority woman. It's even harder, especially in a post nine to eleven climate. It just all felt sort of the wrong time for me to start. And also I was aware that people were doing this since they were nine and still hadn't quite whatever made it means, but in their minds hadn't made it. And then I was lucky because I managed to get a SAG card nine months after I decided acting to start acting. So I just thought that's and then I realized, okay, so maybe I am supposed to be doing this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a good sign. But I got to tell you, I don't know that I know of anyone or I've never spoken to it. I started in New York, but I'd never spoken to anyone that actually went that. That's a fascinating rap to actually go to USC and U C l A and just what do you go, like up to a message board or something and just see if there's anybody be cast in a part. Yeah, that's really smart because because then you end up with with film, you know, and and and you get and you get end up with two great things. One is film and one is experience. And and by the way, I don't know if you feel this way, but I'm still waiting to make it. I mean, I mean, you know, I don't you know that idea that somebody feels like they got there is It's it's not very common, I think among actors. I think we really are constantly, you know, still searching for something else because you know, we we we we're we're freelance operators, you know, and we got to keep keep the work rolling in So you get on your soap and and that that soap was shot in l A General Hospital, right, gosh.
Speaker 3: Yeah it was, it was l A. And it just it just makes me feel so warm it to hear you say that, Evin, because it just this idea that you, with your your level of success, still have that feeling you know.
Speaker 2: Of I'm always waiting for the phone to ring. I'm always waiting for the phone to ring. I mean, I just I don't want it anymore, you know what I mean. I you know, and I have my moments where sometimes I go, yeah, you know, you're doing okay, But most of me, it's kind of like the opposite, Like you know, I don't know. I've talked. I've talked to other actors, you know, to friends about how we actually get through this. I think you would probably agree. And when when I when I ask about the process of how you actually got involved and got your you know, sad card and that kind of stuff. I think that one of the things is that you wake up every day and you do some kind of baby step towards what it is that you're hoping for, so you don't let the big big picture, you know, kind of overwhelm. You focus on what what and I do today? You know, because the hard thing about if you're a violinist, you know, you got your violin, you can take it out and play all day, you know. If you're an actor, it's kind of hard to just walk around and act.
Speaker 3: That's so true.
Speaker 2: But that's so I mean, I find this story so inspiring from so many levels. I mean the terror that your parents went through with their their their lives on the line, being able to escape, then coming to the UK with nothing. This scholarship, this all the work that you put in towards towards the medical career, and that you even you know, specifically wanted to help babies. I mean, I everything is is just very very inspiring and I and I really do think that making it's so terrifying when you're twenty four. You don't feel like a kid. Right now, at my age, I think it's someone the twenty four I think of them sort of a dang kid. But when I was twenty four, there was no part of me that thought of myself as a as a kid. And to make a giant turn in your life at that point I had the courage to say, you know, I think I want to put them the stethoscope and pick up a script is just it's it's very it's very inspiring to me if I think kind of fascinating, Thank Ken, are you working now?
Speaker 3: You know what's odd is I the the past ten months, of course, I've been just committed and diverted to this woman life freedom revolution in Iran. But before that you know, I was working and he did you know, all of the rings and again, like you, much like you, I'm waiting for the for the phone to ring. And and but also I've been really happy with sort of turning down the work in the past ten months because this has been for my focus and I've really been happy to sort of stay focused on this. It's not sustainable. We have to make livings and we have to sort of keep doing the work, and also to nurture our artistic brains. Because I don't know about you, Kevin, but when I'm when there's a lull, I do feel like something's missing. I feel like I need to get back in the groove of things and be in an artistic community. And so, yeah, it's getting to that point.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: Have we turned any kind of a corner in your mind? You know, you spoke briefly about being in a post nine to eleven situation being an Iranian actress with the ARII and name the limited possibilities in terms of people's minds casting wise, Have we turned any kind of a corner and in terms of that in our industry, do you think, because I just wonder if there's been any movement.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I've I've deliberately tried to make choices I think that have veered away from being pigeonholed and that sort of like just stereotype. I was lucky because, you know, twenty eleven, I got the role of Nora on How I Met Your Mother, which was she was just a girl and and sort of the first real love to Bernie Stinson. And she happened, I happened to be Iranian, but there was no mention of you know, where she's from or background.
Speaker 2: She was just English. Did you do an English accent?
Speaker 3: I did my own accent yet, And it was fun to do a comedy and just to play a woman and not be sort of stereotyped, to pigeonholed. And then, of course, right after that Homeland where I did play a Muslim Iranian woman with a headscarf, and it was just thank you, and it was such a lesson in sort of you know, it was a step in the right direction. At the time, I knew what they were doing, which was not all Muslims are bad and not you know, let's portray this positive character. This is a sort of epitome of what it's like to be a representation of just a Muslim woman and not a not a baddie or a villain, right, and so that was a step in the right direction today, by today's standards, if we look at that, we would say, okay, maybe there was room for sort of adjustment. And then it kept growing and growing after that. Of like, you know, I think things are shifting, They're heading in the right direction, for sure, you do.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm glad to hear it. I'm glad to hear you say that. Well, talk to me about women life freedom. It seems to be we highlight a lot of organizations. This feels a little bit more like a movement than an actual organization. Am I correct in that?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it's a movement. It's the slogan, it's essentially the battle cry in the aftermath of the murdering custody Massagena. I mean, of course, the twenty two year old kadish Iranian woman who was arrested for quote unquote inappropriate hijab by the again so called morality police. It's such a dystopping reality they live in. I've had my own run in with the morality police in when I visited Iran when I was twelve, and it was a really harrowing experience of just being grilled, and it was a glimpse into sort of the daily indignities that women and girls face in Iran. And so in the aftermath of her murder, people rose up and the battle cry became woman life Freedom, which is essentially, we want women's rights and equality and we want the you know, we want a normal life, and we want freedom. And that quickly, you know, women took the streets, young girls took the streets, taking off their compulsory her jobs.
Speaker 2: And incredible to watch from here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's so inspiring and saying the slogan's slogan woman life Freedom. That led to sort of a pro democracy uprising because I think what people don't realize is that Massa wasn't just young and a woman. She was also a member of an ethnic and religious minority group. She was a Curred and she was a Sunni Muslim. And so what it did to society was anybody who's a minority, anyone who's fighting for any kind of right, basic human right, understood that until women and girls have their freedom, democracy won't prevail. So it became a pro democracy uprising and they're still going. We may not see the numbers on the streets but as much as we did in the past few months, but that that sort of revolution is in their hearts and their minds. And I talked to people in the on the ground every day and they are saying, please, don't give up on us, which is why I'm so grateful to you, Kevin for spotlighting this now.
Speaker 2: Is it all? I'm wondering about that because is it a the fact that we haven't been seeing that much of it in it? I mean, obviously people have such short memories in this age that we're living in. Is that a function of the movement being sort of squashed or is it a temporary thing? I mean, what can we learn about that?
Speaker 3: That's a great question. I you know, these uprisings really started. What people don't realize, the anti compulsory HDJAB uprising started in December twenty seventeen. They've been ebbs and flows. The only real big break and the uprising has been the pandemic, which which is very talented, tells you everything about the Iranian people. They don't want to put other Iranians at risk, so they won't take to the streets if they feel like they might be contagious and they'll get somebody else sick and that might lead to their death. But they are very willing to take to the streets and risk their own lives, you know, at the hands of the regime so called security forces, and take a bullet. I mean, they're being shot in the eyes and blinded. They're being young girls, are being school girls are being gassed, and yet they keep protesting. Of course, it's not sustainable because the reason we're not seeing the numbers on the streets is because after being killed and tortured and raped and all these things, there's only so much people can take. So you see sort of them, you know, taking a step back, regrouping. But the ebbs and the time between the ebbs and the flows are getting shorter and shorter. I don't doubt that that we're going to see another mass uprising soon. The question is, can we the international community step up this time, make sure Iranians have internet access, really condemn and hold the Iranian regime to account, and stand with the Iranian people. As long as we keep negotiating with their leadership, as long as we normalize them, we we're not really standing with the people. We need to all we need to do is stand with the people so that they decide what they want for their own future.
Speaker 2: That's an excellent, excellent point I want to bring into this conversation, Roya pr I. First off, thank you welcome and thanks for joining us. Do the two of you know each other?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, we do?
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, And how are you, Roya?
Speaker 4: I'm fine. I'm somehow struggling with a lot of ups and downyl's but at this roll rules I'm better. I'm getting better. But you know, I always say that until we overthrow this regime, the Islamic Republic of your own, and until we steak justice will be able to gain justice in your own I think I'm not going to be fine till that time, but I'm better now.
Speaker 2: First off, let me just say from the bottom of my heart, this is a very difficult thing for you to discuss, and I am truly truly sorry for your loss and up and thank you for having the courage to, you know, to take that terrible situation and use your voice to try to try to facilitate some kind of change in people's thinking. But can you just tell us the story first?
Speaker 4: Of all, thanks for having me her, It's a lot alert. I was born in your own I was born in the city of Kerlouansha. It's a Kurdish city. I'm a Kurdish girl. I was born in the Kurdish family. My family were pretty decent, like, I had a healthy family, not traumas. Even the fact that I was growing up in a society under the control of an outdated regime with with outdated ideologies they have the design of republic. I think I had a good life. We were good together, me and my family. I have two siblings. I have a brother sister, both older than me, and I was the last child. Took kind of spoiled. So and my family, they were not religious at all. And on my father's side, actually we uh we were Jarasan, which is uh religion in the Kurdish province. It is uh. A lot of people there are a part of that community and uh uh their religion is Arson. But me myself, we I don't believe in anything like an agnostic and yeah, so religion was not a big deal in our family. So somehow in my house, in my family, I had freedom. But you know, when you go out, when you municate. It's it's like you become a hypocrite. You have to show something, especially in UH school, in UH universities, and when you go to administrations to do something, you have to become something else.
Speaker 2: Something to life. It's like you have exactly you have.
Speaker 4: To always put on WS. This was, you know, the explanation that I thought that I need to make, yeah, before I get into the story.
Speaker 2: So it was, It's great, It's very helpful, it's fascinating.
Speaker 4: Thank you. So it was on September twenty, twenty twenty two. That morning, I was with my mom at home and we used to go to the gym with each other. So she was a bit away from exercising and she said, I'd better start exercising and yon and coming to the jedil with you. But I don't. That day, I was, I felt a bit sick, and I just told her that I'm not really in the mood. I don't feel well. Uh, And we didn't go. After that. At lunch story, I got out of home and that was the last time with selwein Wo. I went to join my friends for the launch and after that I had to go to my brother's house to peep the cats because they were a traveling they were in Tehu. So yeah, I didn't know that she was going to join the protest. She didn't tell me anything about it. She just saw me maybe uh she would go, uh do some pain poll.
Speaker 2: Because why do you think she didn't tell you about it? I'm curious. I don't think.
Speaker 4: I don't think there is no I don't think she wanted to keep its secret like she was worried, uh like if I joined her. No, I think it was like a sudden decision that it was just like her.
Speaker 2: It was kind of like on her route. Maybe she just got a sense that it was happening and decided to join in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it was not unexpected because my mom she used to participate in the previous uprisings, like uprising in twenty nineteen, twenty twenty which people are you know, they call it the Bloody November or Bloody Alburn, And she participated in that in a green movement. And yeah, all of my family they were always opposed to the Islamic Republic. So she felt that responsibility and she always cared about people. She was I'm not saying this because just my mom. Everybody loved their room. But yeah, she is truly curring parted. I think she did what she had to and asked her and uh sorry. And when she got out, my father was with her. It was seven point thirty, Yeah, waiting around that time. She said to my father that she wants to Corney Street drying protests. And my father was really worried as we already seen that they kill people, like in the Bloody November it said that they have killed one thousand, six hundred people. So he was worried about her, and he said that don't go, and she told her, told him that if I don't go and you don't go, then who will go. Then the youth will go out and they will be killed. So that's how she felt about this, right, she felt sympathy and empathy for Massa, for Genier, a twenty two year old girl and was killed just for improper a job she had a job on. It was just not proper to them, to the morality police, and it's just really absurd. It's ridiculous. And her death was like a spark like the society. They had the potential, they had the anger towards the regime because they were struggling with a lot of things in your lives, the lives that the Islamic Republic made for them. They were struggling with poverty, with discrimination, gender partheid, corruption in everything like administrations, the ecologomy, with that they don't have a basic human rights. So they were fed up with it. Yeah, as I said, my mother, she was always host to this regime.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's a terrible, terrible piece of news to get and devastating I'm sure for your father and for your siblings. But it seems as though you have decided to uh kind of take it and start using your voice in terms of this. And I'm and you know, I mean, I would think that a lot of people would kind of go the other direction, you know, would sort of say, well, this is just too painful and not to mention too danger terius and to life threatening to be able to you know, kind of speak about this. What what what is it that that made you specifically want to get involved and continue to you know, uh, carry on your mother's legacy of wanting to want to change.
Speaker 4: In the beginning, Uh, the way that I protested against what happened, uh, what they did to my mother and to my family, it wasn't in words. I didn't speak. I showed it with a picture. That was my way because somehow I'm an intulbird person and I can't really put my feelings into words. I managed to uh take that picture and look into the camera with my hate head shape and with my hair and my hairs. That that was it. That was all that I felt. And people received waring message. People understood that feeling, that anger that I had in that grief, and I wanted that that picture to uh go viral and uh to be seen and and somehow it's with its then viral like not not the way that I expected, because it was just not Iranians like people outside Iran and seeing that picture and felt what I felt. So now so yeah, at the beginning it wasn't with h speaking up. But after I got out of Iran, so I first I went to Turkey and I stayed there and then I went to friends. That was the time that I had I was able to speak up. When we met President Nakan with a group uh like with UH journalists and activements political activists, mass miss uh load and woman and Shimubibi which uh these two they were also breathed like uh, she was that UH was abducted by Isladic Republic and the father of Ladin women UH was killed, was.
Speaker 3: UH terrorized a terrors uh?
Speaker 4: And yeah, that was the time that uh I found a platform to speak. And at that time I literally uh think like properly, like I was like in a Hilight modes and I felt like, Okay, this is the right thing to do. This is an opportunity and I have to use it to speak on behalf of the lost voices like gray wolves.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: So I continued accepting some interviews. Yeah, and then I applied for visa for UK. My sister she's living in UK. So I had no one in h friends, no channeling members. So I was granted visa and I went to UK.
Speaker 2: And now you have you don't have it. You don't have a British accent yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, yes, because in Iran the English classes are mainly uh in American accent. They don't.
Speaker 2: The correct kind of English.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So uh. Yeah it continued my uh like my activities, but I'm not that active because it needs a lot of energy. I'm not an activist yet. This is not the path that I have chosen. I could never think of this like uh, you know, uh, this happening to me, and you know, going into this path, I don't see myself like this kind of person who would be active and becoming activists and what would.
Speaker 2: You like, what would you like to be doing in situations?
Speaker 4: So I was always interested in arts. Unfortunately I couldn't do that in uh Iran because in the city that I lived lived in in cameon Shaw. The university is there, they don't have artistic majors. So when I was there, I chose architecture because okay, it has argulated. Yeah, so I started to a study architecture, but it wasn't really a big deal for me.
Speaker 3: I was really, guy, how did you connect? I? First off, she roy You're so brave, and you know, we've known each other for a few months now. I first spoke to Roya through a mutual friend when she was in Paris. She was still in Paris and she was seeking to go to the UK to join her sister where she is now. And and so I think a bunch of us just sort of tried to talk to the UK government and the American government to try to get her visit to one or the other, but preferably the UK so she could be with Massa, her sister, her lovely sister who I've had I've now had the honor of meeting in person both of them, and your courage, Roya. You know, like you said, you didn't choose this part. Some of us have chosen this path. You didn't, that you were thrown into it. But what stands out to me is the grace with which you've handled this situation. You're impeccable English, which I'm just still I can't believe your English is so good, that you conduct yourself in these interviews so well. And I think the first time I became fully aware of her courage and her and just everything she's endured was when she met with President mccran and how eloquently you spoke, and the courage and how much you inspired so many of us and the message of keep going. We need your help because unfortunately Roy's story and massive story are not unique, and there's so many kids who've lost Now I say, kid, Rory, You're not a kid, but you know you'll always be a kid to your parents who've lost parents, or parents who've lost children and siblings, and the list goes on and on. But there's this incredible logan for every person who gets killed, a thousand will rise up behind them. And I think that's what Roya personifies, is this idea of one person standing up and galvanizing thousands of people for the cause.
Speaker 2: You know. That brings me to the question of we sit over here and see what's going on over there and sometimes scratch our heads in terms of how we can be helpful and how we can get involved. And I'm just wondering if there's a if either one of you have any kind of suggestions in terms of that, you know, is there a call to action here that we can explain to people.
Speaker 3: Yes, and maybe Roya has something to add to this, but I would say, please, there's a quite correctly said that Iran as a gender apartheid state that isn't legal recognized in international law. Apartheid only applies to race, whereas countries like Iran and Afghanistan women are segregated for men and men and oppressed in a way that can only be defined as gender apartheid. To get that legally defined, please go to end gender Apartheid dot today and gender Apartheid dot today, add your names and amplify as their clear instructions of what the campaign is and if you want to donate, please donate to Iran Rights dot org, the Abduraman Buraman Center and of course Ladan Buraman as one of the people who went with Royal to see President mccron Iran Rights dot org. Roya, do you have anything to add?
Speaker 4: I always say that stand with people, stand on the right side up the history. I think we should always see the true from the people of a country. So listen to them and hear what they have to say. I know in the end it's the people that should win this revolution and overthrow this regime. But any help, yeah, we would appreciate that. We're region go on.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, thank you, yeah, thank you. I mean, roy I just have to say I think you are an incredible person. I think that you know, as we mentioned, you could run, you could hide, you could stay silent for the rest of your life. And and as you pointed out, this was not a this was not a choice, This was something that was thrust upon you. And to stand up in the way that you have given this these terrible, terrible circumstances is really nothing short of hero and so I wish you all the best with your art and your architecture and and.
Speaker 4: Yeah maybe not architecture. I think I'm going to uh do an art foundation to just figure it.
Speaker 3: Figure it out.
Speaker 2: That's great, you know, listen to in whatever you want to do. I can picture you being great at it.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I need to add I'm in a safe country somehow, so I think any Iranians that have been victimized by Islamic Republic, if they have a safety zone, if they go to a safe country, I think many of them would speak up. And I think there are there are just a lot of people that are more brave than me. We have more carriage than those who went to the streets and protested empty with empty hands against the guards that had shotguns in their hands or even having machine guns, military machine guns like the massacred that they did in the Kritish province in Iran. In gen or life, life, freedom uprising. I think that is the real courage to me.
Speaker 2: Well, thank you, thank you for being here, nazing In. Thank you so much for highlighting this and also for your work. Keep up your good work, beautiful work, keep doing it. I wish you all the best luck and you know you we know that what we what we like to talk about on this on this show is that, you know, sometimes people that are in the arts also care about other things, and you're a perfect example of that. And so I applaud you for that and thank you and.
Speaker 3: We thank you for you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you ever for caring.
Speaker 2: Thank you right, absolutely, all right, Well, take good care. Thanks for listening to another episode of six Degrees with Kevin Bacon, Nazenine and Roya's story. It's so poignant, it's so relevant. This is a crisis that is going on right now. And if you want to learn more about woman life freedom movement, head to www dot end Gender Apartheid dot today. You can find all the links in our show notes. Make sure you subscribe to the show and tune into the rest of our episodes. You can find six Degrees with Kevin Bacon on iHeartRadio, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. See you next time.
Speaker 1: If you are inspired by today's episode, please join us in supporting SixDegrees dot org by texting the word Bacon to seven zero seven zero seven zero. Your gift empowers us to continue to produce programs that highlight the incredible work of everyday heroes will also enabling us to provide essential resources to those that need it the most. Once again, text b a con to seven zero seven zero seven zero, or visit SixDegrees dot org to learn more