Speaker 1: This is live coverage of the twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bud Light, Easy to Drink, Easy to Enjoy, and brought to you in part by Pennsylvania one Call Systems Dial eight one one before You dig SNT Bank People Forward Banking by Kalusy Chevrolet, serving the Pittsburgh area for over one hundred and eight years. Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission list in CLEARVIEWFCU dot org and by iron Workers Local Union Number three. We don't go to the office, We build it.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Steeler Nation, how we doing well? That's good us too. It is the bonus hour here of the drive. We are into the five o'clock hour. The sun's starting to poke out a little bit here on campus as hopefully what was kind of an overcast and wet and soggy day has a nice ending here this evening, Matt Williams, such as campus has been quiet here with practice being moved inside. If you missed it, they got about thirty forty minutes of work in outdoors before some lightning rolled in. Had to clear the fields of all the fans and of course the guys on the team heading over to the brand new dun Lap indoor facility, which.
Speaker 3: And they're there right now for the walk through.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say they and that's not They had used it a couple times earlier in camp for the walk through in the evenings, but today was the first day that they had to take the practice inside. Hopefully that'll be the first in the last time that we see that this camp.
Speaker 3: But always the part way better than doing a walk through in a gym.
Speaker 2: So much better. And uh, Matt and I have not been into the new facility yet, but we have been into the gym across campus before and it's I mean, it's like a high school gym gym. It's an old school, you know, old college campus gym and would be tough with you know, one hundred bodies in there trying to get work done. Haven't seen the new facility over here, but it does have a indoor turf area. Asked Bob Labriola about this earlier and he said it's a sixty yard field plus the end zones, so yeah, okay, he was like, he was like, I don't want to tell you that the end zones are exactly ten yards like they are in the NFL. But he's like, it's a sixty yard field and that doesn't include shock if they're not. So, I'm thinking it's probably about eighty yards in total, but certainly enough to get a pretty good days of work in and better than having to go into a tiny show.
Speaker 3: Crowded with this size roster. But I mean like that, that's the same size we had as our indoor with the Browns too, you know, but just it was connected to the facility. I should know this. But the once south side is it? I don't think it's full.
Speaker 2: It's not a four hundred. I think it's eighty as well, closed plus end zones eighty plus. Well that would make it a hundred right then, But well, yeah, get what you're saying. Yes, it's one hundred yards and we don't call this one in front of us one hundred and twenty. Good point, Yeah, good point. Smooth Dave tweets and first segment here of the bone. You know what that means. It's time to hit some tweets. Smooth day of tweets our NFL contracts close to hitting a bubble. Seems like every contracts these days are breaking records, and not just the superstars. Yeah, but along those lines, is this simply the going rate for average to above average players? DK Metcalf, Michael Pittman, Junior, Patrick Queen, Jalen Ramsey.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not economics major. I trust that these teams are not overspending because it's league wide. We kind of ended last hour on this that contracts across the board are really really going up, especially at the top of positions. But no, I mean, the term bubble makes it sound like it's gonna pop and it's gonna be bad. I don't think that's the case. I'd be shocked if all of a sudden the league gets less healthy.
Speaker 2: Unless tens of millions of red blooded Americans suddenly decide to stop watching and consuming football.
Speaker 3: Or if there's a COVID situation or something weird like that. But I would be really shocked.
Speaker 2: Matt, I spent some time in that break I was trying to find a reliable breakdown of because what this really comes down to now, folks, is just percentage of your salary.
Speaker 3: That's the most important way looking at it.
Speaker 2: That's really, I think the only way to look at it. Because the numbers are big, the numbers are jarring. But what percentage of your salary cap is it? That's where it really matters. And I couldn't find complete composite rankings, but I did find spot Track, who's very reputable in this. In this regard, they broke down the top salary cap percentage earner for each position. So like Joe Burrow, for example, he commands twenty four point five percent of Cincinnati's cap. That's a big number.
Speaker 3: It's huge, right, Like fifty two other guys have to get paid.
Speaker 2: And now a lot of that is because again just because these guys have.
Speaker 3: The average ends which year, and you know where.
Speaker 2: Do the bonuses come in and all those different things, because they all have the same average annual value.
Speaker 3: But what I assume that's his twenty twenty six cap hit correct, not necessarily.
Speaker 2: His it's almost seventy five million dollars this year for him. Wow, because again the way that the bonuses and everything are structured in a line.
Speaker 3: But last year might have been ten million.
Speaker 2: Last year, Lamar was the number one in terms of salary cap and his was like nineteen point some percent, which is about the usual. This is a high year for Joe Burrow and the Bengals. This is where you can get into trouble is because not only does Joe Burrow take up twenty four and a half percent of their salary cap on his own, almost a quarter of their salary cap, Jamar Chase takes up fourteen point four percent himself. So between those two matt it's close to thirty percent of your salary cap in just two players. Now, so those are two absolute superstars players. Right, that's a problem I think that a lot of people would would have. But that's I think the real way to frame it.
Speaker 3: My hunch is something like Dexter Lawrence probably is really low this year, but he's scheduled for a big one next year. You know, Like I think you need to stagger those things, which is somewhat why percentage of cap can be misleading. It's the most important thing, but because NFL structure or NFL you know, yeah, what you get per year, if you got this huge signing bonus, you get very little that year probably can be misleading in terms of value to team and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 4: Too.
Speaker 3: So I do think to your point, and I've brought this a million times, percentage of cap is the best way to look at it. But I think you almost have to do it over the course of the contract, not just this particularly year. Oh he's only five percent of the cap. Well, next year he's forty percent of the cap. You know, it's the same contract.
Speaker 2: If someone can find a good breakdown of this, yeah, my hastily researched five minutes during break send it during our way. But like we talked about Laramie Tunzel and his likely season ending injury earlier today, he's the number one OH CAP earner for offensive tackles, over eleven percent of the commander's cap he commands, and.
Speaker 3: I mean other than Daniels, he's the guy they least won.
Speaker 2: To lose, absolutely, no question, Absolutely the highest guy on defense in terms of cap commanded his way this season is Michaeh. Parsons, who makes up about sixteen point seven percent of the of the Dallas the Dallas or the part of me the Green Bay Packers.
Speaker 3: That's not extraordinarily high if you're if that's number one.
Speaker 2: That I honestly expected it to be a little bit more. Yeah for for the number one guy. Mister Steele City says, when will we know how quarterback reps will be distributed for the first preseason game? And how do you guys think it'll be split up?
Speaker 3: Interestingly, and not that he knows, but Labs, I had this conversation while you know, we were watching practice today. He said, how would you do it?
Speaker 2: Matt?
Speaker 3: And I didn't give it a whole lot of thought. I was off the top of my head and I said, hmm, how about this. Rogers doesn't dress, Rudolph gets one series. Yep, Howard finishes the first half, Aller takes the second half.
Speaker 2: I think that's about right. Maybe you give Howard one series out of a halftime. Let's see how he can adjust and take some coaching.
Speaker 3: Maybe you see how it goes, or you know, but I like him to run the two minutes. You'd like both young guys to run the two minute drill at the end of that respective halves.
Speaker 2: Should we even set an over under of preseason snaps played by Aaron Rodgers or should it be zero? Should it be half half?
Speaker 3: I think he's gonna actually show up. Yeah, I mean, didn't he say he wants to.
Speaker 2: I mean they did, but he said Aaron Rodgers, they left it both left it pretty open. But Aaron did say that Mike wants him to play. Now, what exactly does that mean?
Speaker 3: I think at most it's a series for Rogers.
Speaker 2: Five and a half. Is that the is that the game under for Snaps four and a half?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's game two.
Speaker 2: That's game two, okay. And then for Mason, I would put it at probably high teens. Eighteen and a half, nineteen and a half, entire preseason, not one game, yeah, eighteen nineteen round.
Speaker 3: Maybe he doesn't even play at all. Maybe that's just all young guys in the three.
Speaker 2: Way again, maybe he does the first series and then it's all it's all young guys the rest of the way.
Speaker 3: How would you do it for this one?
Speaker 2: For the first preseason game, Yeah, I would. I would give Mason, uh two series, okay. And then however, like then I would split the other try and make it as close to fifty to fifty for the other two if it's if it's forty five to fifty five.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's hard to predict, right, but you have to pull him in the middle a series or ends, and you know, right.
Speaker 2: You're not gonna call on a pinch hit or anything like that. I don't think though, that we'll know this maybe until Thursday. I don't think Mike McCarthy's gonna come out and say this is exactly how we're gonna He might come out and say Mason's gonna start, but I don't know if we'll get real deep into the weeds with him in terms of that information.
Speaker 3: Labs and Rob were talking about it today and I just half overheard it. That's why I almost didn't repeat it now. But I think he said something along the lines of McCarthy will not tomorrow. But you know he speaks before practice. He will not give us that answer that I would be shocked right right. So it'll be sometime we won't know this when we're on the drive tomorrow, we won't have that answer.
Speaker 2: Ian a lot of quarterback questions and conversation today. Ian says, Happy Monday, gentlemen. With Mason getting more and more of the second team snaps in practice, is the possibility of keeping four quarterbacks on the roster becoming more likely? Or are they trying to showcase Mason or other teams. My gut, someone is gonna get quote hurt and go on.
Speaker 3: I r they might the problem with getting quote hurt they can't.
Speaker 2: Practice practice, which I haven't found about that too.
Speaker 3: I need to practice anyone, I need to use them.
Speaker 2: Okay. But also because you would know this better than me. How much is your third quarterback really practicing throughout the course of the week. It's not. I mean, it's better than running, it's better than nothing. It's not.
Speaker 3: They're throwing balls and they're involved. Yeah. I mean, now they'd be in the meeting rooms and they can like lift in all those things, but that wouldn't be the end of the world. Again, I I don't get the inclination, but to be determined that they're comfortable enough with Howard to be the game day number two yet, I mean it seems like a stretch.
Speaker 2: Be very surprised if that were the case.
Speaker 3: And four, I mean we're aways from this, but if you start really putting a fifty three together, you're awfully light. If you keep four, I mean somewhere.
Speaker 2: Right in in a not so not in a vacuum, in a bubble. I I I think the idea of keeping four quarterbacks is very plausible.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, on the surface, until you actually build a fifty three.
Speaker 2: Then it starts to become pretty difficult.
Speaker 3: Now, there is some finaggling, especially early in the season, where you can put veterans on the practice squad and pull them up on game day and move them around, and that buys you some times. And there are some loopholes and things. They're not loopholes. Everybody does it. That makes it easier because you'd have probably two quarterbacks inactive on game day if four were on the fifty three. But there's a reason teams don't do it, you know.
Speaker 2: Jeff says, in your opinions, has Howard or Aller looked significantly better than the other so far in camp?
Speaker 3: I wouldn't say both like what you thought they'd be, you know.
Speaker 2: I think Aler's highs have been a little higher, Yeah, but Howard's been a little more steady, aety consistent throughout the time.
Speaker 3: They both turned the ball over. They both been throws. They both look young. No, I think they both have been as expected for better or worse, to be honest, and.
Speaker 2: I know that not every single day, but there's been some days that Mike McCarthy said, we need better from the quarterback play. We need better from the offense. Too many turnovers, too many issues. So I think he would probably echo that centiment as well. RJ. We got a couple more to get to here before we close down this first segment of the first hour. RJ says, what's been the biggest breath of fresh air this training camp so far with the new coaching change and new regime. That's a good question.
Speaker 3: I was just say, like Roman Wilson, but then we said when he made a coaching specific I love how open McCarthy is and how organized he is.
Speaker 2: I love how much there is going on during practice tempo.
Speaker 3: It's not the most it's not the.
Speaker 2: Most physical everywhere certainly, which takes away I think some of what you can deduce. But at the same time, there is always so much going on during practice. There's always so much to watch that you almost have to tell yourself, Okay, for the next ten minutes I'm watching the quarterbacks. You'll find your ADHD brain will be looking all over the place. It's seven different.
Speaker 3: Things going on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot going on. There's a lot to take in every day. It's not necessarily the most physical or the most violent or and intense, but there's a lot going on.
Speaker 3: There's a lot going on, and it's it's it is almost impossible to digest it all, like in real time.
Speaker 2: Oh, this is pretty cool. And he tweets us and she's it's a picture of a Cleveland Brown Stadium Huntington Bank Stadium. She says, I'm about to enter the belly of the beast for a good cause. Food Fighters show tonight in Cleveland. Okay, very nice, and he have fun. I was there at a Huntington Bank Stadium back in May for a Zach Bryant concert. Good concert venue there right on the right on the lake in Cleveland.
Speaker 3: I saw the food fighters when he had the broken leg.
Speaker 2: Okay he deave girl.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dave Girl had a like this huge like throne built that he couldn't.
Speaker 2: Is this when you were with the Brown still or no?
Speaker 3: No, no, I was. It was a starlake Okay, But I did see the food fighters.
Speaker 4: Nice.
Speaker 2: I've actually never seen the food fighters and uh, I wouldn't mind it. Yeah, I wouldn't like go crazy out of my way to see the food fighters, but I would definitely like to see see them in cons Andie. Hopefully the weather holds out for you in Cleveland, and has been a little bit better there today, good point, And then it has been here in uh in Pennsylvania. Oh, let's see, we think we got time for one or two more here, Uh, Steelers Burner says, your guys. Thoughts on the running back bought battle. You know, Caleb Johnson often looks like he has got brick shoes on to me. Uh, you know, I am still kind of uh you know, looking for for an explosive back to emerge outside of Warren With Rico, I don't think the you know, the contrast matters as much between him and Warren. So who do you feel like is the last one on the roster?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 2: He's saying he likes Eli hiden Reich. That's just that's an interesting one though, because it's gonna be tough for Eli at running back.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm also starting to think it might be tough for Caleb Johnson, man, I know, because I do think Travis hom Travis Homer is the real kicker in this. And again you're kind of what you just laid out of. You could get the fifty three really quick.
Speaker 3: If you think for running backs it's real tough, especially the full back.
Speaker 2: I don't see how, and they are going to keep a full back it seems yeah, So I don't know how you could keep four running backs and four quarterbacks.
Speaker 3: Nowakowski's making the team, Rico and Warren are making the team.
Speaker 2: So I'd said that leaves one spot for Caleb or Homer, and Homer's the personal protector.
Speaker 3: That's such a giveaway.
Speaker 2: He's a special teams guy.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's your killer Brew, he's your you know, your most important non kicker punter on special teams as the personal protector, so he's probably gonna make the team. That doesn't mean it. No one else could possibly do it Caleb. But I think what's gonna be really important for Caleb is the three games. I mean, if you're not breaking tackles out here too, running back evaluations are pretty darn tough.
Speaker 2: Very tough, yeah, very tough. And there's been times where he's looked uh.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah yeah. But the cement feet thing, I don't see a lot of that here.
Speaker 2: I I don't. I don't either.
Speaker 3: I saw some indecision as a rookie, but you know.
Speaker 2: Right, absolutely, But again, it's just running backs have been so hard to judge out here. Because they're they're not live tackling, and they're not protecting Steeler Nation. Nine to twenty. Well, here's a here's a good here's a good call back joke from our Freaks list earlier. Who was the freakiest athlete to come out of each of your colleges? Carlon Asselry, that's a good one for you.
Speaker 3: All right, that's the only one we got though a football team. I mean, all right, but he counts Yours might be Austin.
Speaker 2: Probably Tavon Austin. Yeah, I know it's from a long time ago, but but uh, Chuck Halley would be a tough one. It was a really five sport letterman and Super Bowl MVP and Jerry West Jerry West logo of the NBA. But if we're going recent days, I think it's I think it's definitely Tavon Austin. But that's a good question.
Speaker 3: I'm sure there's some sharpshooter that's pretty good at what they do. But oh, without a doubt, that depends how you define athletes exactly right.
Speaker 2: There's been a couple of gold medal riflests to come through Morgantown. But some people might that's like NASCAR, Matt like, is that it's it's it is. It certainly takes levels of athleticism and coordination and all that stuff. Oh yeah, is shooting a gun really a sport? Is driving a car really a sport? I think it probably is, But I also think it's a discussion. Like I've done, it's more of a sport than playing poker, is right?
Speaker 3: I mean, like, does athleticism count for bowling? Or you've got to have hand eye corn. There's reasons someone's better than.
Speaker 2: Even with you know, even like NASCAR and Formula one.
Speaker 3: Of the F one four. I mean, they do so much off the field in terms of conditioning and their eyes and their reaction time. So I'm not discrediting at all, you know, but but it's.
Speaker 2: A different than football, basketball, baseball.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like the the tweet was who was the best athlete that came out of w if they had the best rifle shooter? Ever, I'm not sure I can give it to that person. If you're saying an athlete, if you've got like best, that such a different question.
Speaker 2: You've got some swimmer or some track person who's winning all championships. Absolutely, but that's that is I've always that's one of those like late night random.
Speaker 3: Laying on a hillside with a gun. I mean, I'm not sure that that's super athleticism.
Speaker 2: Definitely more. I used to laugh though, like what people would say, like poker is a sport. I'd be like, get out of here. That ain't a sport. I ain't a sport at all. But certainly rifle and NASCAR and that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Oh, they're a sport. I mean they're competitive. Yeah, they're just in terms of athleticisms too big a term.
Speaker 2: To very wide spanning term. Certainly talk to little special teams in some of those things. With Travis Homer and some others on the show. Today, we'll hear from special Teams coordinator Danny Crossman. He spoke for the first time during camp earlier. Maybe we'll continue to get to some of your tweets. Continue to keep you post on all the moving and shaking here on campus as we roll along in this bonus hour, West Shuler, Matt Williamson. It is the Drive High a top Chuck Nolefield on the campus of Saint Vincent College. All part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live covering Chopped twenty twenty six Steelers Training Camp or the Steelers Audio Network, presented by bod Light, Easy to Drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Clearview Federal Credit Union. For every touchdown the Black and Gold Score in twenty twenty six, Clearview will donate five hundred dollars to the Light of Life Mission. Visit CLEARVIEWFCU dot org. Easy Home exteriors, fast, reliable and affordable, Schneider Downs discover the value of big thinking with a personal focus. US steal Mine, Melted and made in the USA, your neighborhood Forward Store and by the Steelers Pro Shop visit Shop dot Steelers dot com.
Speaker 2: Rolling along here in the bonus hour of the drive, as we're getting closer to the conclusion of today's coverage, Matt, a lot of UH with the off day yesterday, a lot more kind of audio and UH and coordinator speaking of things like that. As we're getting to the end, it is and you know, again, Matt and I have we've laid it out, are kind of honest feelings. Sometimes some audio can get a little redundant, but I think when it's all new coaching staff, new offensive coordinator, new defensive coordinator, new head coach, and new special teams coach Danny Crossman. Matt, we always want to take a listen. We go from Danny Smith to Danny Crossman. Maybe that's a new bylaw in the Steelers organization right here. First name has to be Danny if you're going to be the special teams coach. But it's certainly been a different training camp from that perspective, but a lot of familiar names. Chris Boswell at the forefront of them with that special teams group. Danny Crossman, new special teams coordinator, speaking for the first time at training camp this team.
Speaker 6: In the past several years under the previous special teams coordinator, I've watched a lot of kicks and punts from on the top of the NFL. Is that something that you specialize in as well as far as something that you want to recreate and how do you go about creating more moments where you're he your.
Speaker 4: Unit can can do that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean we look at the numbers. Yeah, we've had a pretty good history of blocking kicks and getting some scores out of them and setting up good field positions. So that's always going to be part of the plan. But again it's a week two week and opposition, base protection personnel, and then situation of the game. I've gone into games with what you think are is a great plan in the return game and you don't get any ops to work the return game where you have some blocks that you really like, but the situations really never occur. So we'll have stuff in and you know, we'll be aggressive when we can, we'll be smart when we need to be, and try to make plays for the stillers to end up with a dub. It's all anybody cares about.
Speaker 7: I know that we're not supposed to take put much stock in the first stepth chart that came out that Katie Leegen was listed as the starting returners.
Speaker 6: What have you liked about him so far in camp?
Speaker 2: Just getting into that role.
Speaker 5: A lot, a lot of the same things that we celid tape. You know, good decision maker, it's got good bursts and got very good visions. So you know it's we're still, you know, in my opinion, very early in this race, but we've been very happy with what we've seen from him so far.
Speaker 6: With Kate for a minute, I mean he was very productive at the college level.
Speaker 4: Kickoff is a.
Speaker 6: Little bit different, the punts a little bit different at this level. Where do those changes show up and what's going to be important for him to adapt to some of the differences within there.
Speaker 5: Again, there's a very different game, but a lot of the skill sets are going to translate, you know, so making good decisions, catching the football and getting vertical in both phases, just like you did at the University of Iowa, those same traits continue. We feel very good about him having some success at this league. May not happen right away, you know, obviously we hope it does, but you know, we're very early in the process and we're very fortunate to have him and we think he's going to be a good player for us.
Speaker 8: When you look at his I would say a lot of broken tackles just in really short areas that look like it's.
Speaker 2: Tough to get out of, but he gets out of.
Speaker 8: What traits do you think Kateen has that allows him to be such a great tax breaker breakout of those losers?
Speaker 5: Well, they said, if number one is vision number two, you know, all the great ones that have the ability to make people miss in a short area which is what this is all about. So you know, he's show you showing that in the past at the collegiate level. Obviously we believe that that will translate to our level. But all the really good players can make people miss and or run through arm tackles. You know, you can't be brought down by arm tackles. If you are, it's gonna be hard because there's gonna be people, you know, in the vicinity that's the National Football League. There's great players on every club. So but we feel very good about where and what direction this is gone with Caden and some of the other returners.
Speaker 2: When you play off the draft board.
Speaker 4: On drafting, I mean you're like, wow, I got this kid to work with.
Speaker 2: What was your reaction to?
Speaker 5: How much maybe input did you have it as well? Obviously you know I voiced my opinion in terms of rankings and players that we like. But that's with you know, every position. You know we're going to coach the daylights out of whoever they give us. Obviously, you know you're excited to get a good player, but I mean believe I mean, that doesn't last more than a second and then you're just tracking what's happening. Next, what's the next thing available? I mean, as soon as it happens, it's done, it's history. Let's move forward. But it gives you a piece to start planning around with the idea of what you may have.
Speaker 8: Danny the death of running back with like Caleb and Travis and Euli.
Speaker 4: You know, those guys. You know, in order to make the roster are going to have to be able to contribute on special teams.
Speaker 7: But imagine, so where do you see from those three guys, the roles that they're playing and how they're contributing so far.
Speaker 5: Well, I wouldn't even say three, I'd say four with you know, with with Lou Nichols. Well, it's a very good group. I mean it's a very good group. And I'm not going to speak for the offense, but a lot of versatility in that room, a lot of very good football players, a lot of intelligent football players. You know, we like that whole group. Each of them brings something different. You know, some of them are more working with return in the kickoff from punt return phase, and you know, and obviously all of them working in the coverage phase, but some other guys working in the in the block, in the front line. So it's a very good room to work with. As far as a Special Teams coach, Dandy Mike Toman once described Chris Boswell as a serial killer. What if when you talk about that in the spring, that's that's somebody else. I don't honest that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you continue to get to know him.
Speaker 2: What's impressed you about his day to day work?
Speaker 5: Ethnic He is an outstanding kicker. He knows his body, he knows what work he needs to get done. He is a true professional, and you know so very glad that he is our kicker.
Speaker 4: You got a number of young players that looked like they had the potential to be sort of core special teams guys, Guys like Riley Eli, Priver, Spiars, Jennings. Have you seen the rookies who are coming in, maybe for the first time, into that role taking to special teams work.
Speaker 5: So far, it's really good class, I mean, and what really helps the young players is some of the veteran players. We got pretty good veteran leadership in terms of in my meetings with some of the some of the older players who are who are helping those guys alone. But it's a very good class. They're very willing. They're anxious. Uh they understand that, you know, roles need to be claimed. Uh, so they are. They are working very hard along with you know, all the veteran guys too, but very happy with the rookie class. What's going to happen over the next four weeks will determine a lot in terms of what's going to happen on the field. But i mean until we start playing games, you know, it's it's still a lot of decisions are are truly unknown. I mean, we've got to be able to do it on the field. The rest of it's you know, in my opinion, really it's it's important. It's what we have. But you know, the relevancy is going to come when we play games.
Speaker 2: Ben was a Pro Bowl or for special teams.
Speaker 6: Has he's been one of those veterans helping out some of the younger guys in those rooms.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he has. You know, when you look at Ben and you look at Travis Homer and you look at Koholk, I mean, you look at Carson Bruin or I mean, we really have a good group that's that's been here. And then even you bring in guys like Robert Tanyan and guys that have our vet players, but understand what it takes to play in the National Football League. If you are not that number one guy at your position, you know, you better buy in and you better buy in quick. That's how you're going to help the club.
Speaker 7: What are traits or things that you're really going to focus on from this tape that you'll have after Thursday.
Speaker 5: Well, I think the biggest thing is it is truly full speed contact. You know, this is a collision contact sport. And I say you know collision first, because there is a lot of contact sports. I mean you watch the NBA, you watch it. I mean those are I mean those are contact sports also. But the collision aspect of the National Football League and big spaces, tight spaces, those are the things that are going to show up and those are the most important things that we'll be looking for.
Speaker 8: Danny, I want to specifically ask about Caleb Johnson when you talked about.
Speaker 3: The running back groove.
Speaker 8: You know a lot of those guys had special things backgrounds, Kleb's kind of learning special teams. How have you seen him embrace that new challenge and try to learn some of those roles on the special teams? When he hasn't played in the past.
Speaker 5: I mean he's been great. You know, he's very attendant at every meeting. You know, he's getting a lot of reps from the practice field. I mean he understands, you know, the situation and how things work in the National Football League with a couple of very good running backs that you know will predominantly be the running back. So I've been very happy with Caleb and you know, I think he's a very good football player and anxious to see what he does on Thursday, Friday, Thursday Day.
Speaker 4: With Cam Johnston don't with a serious injuries a couple of years ago, Do you guys feel that he's totally past that now and how's he performed for you so far? We do.
Speaker 5: He's had no issues, no setbacks, so we feel very good about where he is from the injury standpoint, and then we feel like he's had a very good start to training camp, which stacks on top of what we thought was a very good Spring. So very happy with where he is and anxious to see what the next couple of weeks spring.
Speaker 7: When it comes to the gunners, what kind of attributes are you looking for there and who are some of the guys that have own early that they could thrive within that role.
Speaker 5: I mean that's especially when you start talking about getting vice. That's one of the hardest things in the National Football League, you know. So number one, you have to have a plan, and then that plan, as Mike Tyson said, goes out the window and you get punched in the face. So you have to have a plan, but then you need the attribute. You need to be explosive, you need to have great change of direction, you need to have great hands, you need to be able to close and what we refer to as stacking players, so you'd be able to get behind the corner of safety and type position and know there's somebody else coming. So it is a very difficult thing to do. But we feel like between some of the older players Ben eccheles and then some of the new players and the young players, we have some guys that you know will show that they can be successful in that role.
Speaker 8: And when we talk about personal protector on the pump protection, you'll think about this as like the quarterback of that unity, how much is on their plate pre snap and why did.
Speaker 2: You trust Travis Holmer.
Speaker 5: Can kind of take that rule start well? You know, Number one, you're dealing with a player who's done it for several years in the National Football League. But along with Travis, some of the young players you know, have gravitated to understanding that is the role. I mean, you are the signal caller, you are the communicator. You got to own that operation. Everyone's going to respond off of you, even if you're wrong. If we're all doing the wrong thing, but we're doing it right, you know we're going to have a chance to be successful. But you've got to be a quick decision maker and make sure everybody's on the same page of what and how you see it. So the vision and the spending the time with the tape and with myself to make sure we're really doing a good job of understanding. We feel like we've got a good room and Travis is a great leader in that room. Appreciate you.
Speaker 2: That's Danny Crossman, special teams coach, special teams coordinator for your Pittsburgh Steelers and Matt I tell you what it's been different the emphasis on special teams here in this camp.
Speaker 3: Yeah, same time, I think the judge.
Speaker 2: But yeah, what's what's been weird is not even weird, but I think the difference that I've noticed is they're still doing the special teams periods. Maybe not. It felt like there used to be two in every Mike Tomlin practice and they and they'd be like ten to twelve minutes a piece. Right now it's there's one, and it's about that same ten to twelve minutes. But instead of in the past where all the offense and the defense kind of use that as a break time and get their drinks and talk to their coaches. Now while Chris Boswell's kicking field goals or Cam Johnson's punting, the offense and the defense are over on other fields getting working still too.
Speaker 3: So it's maybe that's why I feel like it's less because I'm watching other things.
Speaker 2: While that really grabbed me the other day, I meant to bring to bring that up to you. Of like in Mike Tomlin and Danny Smith era, when special teams period was going, special teams period was going and that was it. Now they're still having special teams, but there's still the offense and the defense doing their thing as well. But I will be happy to report, and I'm sure everyone will be happy to listen to. Chris Boswell is still doing his thing, drilled about a six fine, drilled about a sixty yarder out here earlier today in some of the portion of practice that we did get to see, Matt. One more segment to go on the other side. We'll close down the day's proceedings with some final thoughts. We'll hear some comments from the head coach, Mike McCarthy cross somet's dot some eyes before we get out of here on this Monday evening West ruler Matt Williamson. It is the drive all part of our ongoing training camp coverage Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.
Speaker 1: This is live coverage OLP dot twenty, a Steelers Audio network presented by bud Light, easy to drink, easy to enjoy, and brought to you in part by Always Safe Flagging and Traffic Control making traffic safe again called four one two three oh one three hundred or visit us online at awsafe dot net for a quote today by FedEx the new power move Independence Health System Expert Care here Remax Select Realty li said Remax Select Pittsburgh dot com. The Laurel Highlands of Pennsylvania visit go Laurel Highlands dot com. The Steelers Pro Shop, visitshop dot Steelers dot com and buy Condiente Pizza and Drafthouse.
Speaker 2: Final segment of the drive here on this Monday, as we get ready for hopefully a dryer, cleaner, more full practice tomorrow on Tuesday from the Steelers. Tomorrow will be our last day on campus here until the weekend is we'll have Wednesday off, then preseason game on Thursday, then Friday off, and of course the final stretch of practices Saturday, Sunday and Monday here at Saint Vincent College for this public portion of Steelers training camp. Public portion, right, Matt, because as Arthur Mos, as Arthur Mots would always tell us, trading camp isn't over just because you leave Saint Vincent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it has gone quick though. I'm going to open the show talking about that. That the way the schedule this year hasn't been like a long stretch you know where it kind of feels like you're in the desert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, exactly right, exactly right. And of course that's will continue to keep an eye on all the differences this year and new methods applied by Mike McCarthy and his coaching staff kind of heading into this important stretch of a couple of practices before your first preseason game. Here's what the head coach had to say.
Speaker 4: Last year from what he played, What have you seen from him in his first two weeks? Did maybe see in those three understands last year? I'd say Dylan has been consistent. Number one. I think clearly I really followed him in the past. Protection first, you know, and which which is a good thing, you know, because to be able to do that early in camp, you know, without the pads, you know, so I was impressed with that. And you know, just like the rest of the guys, I think they're starting to get their pads underneath them, you know, getting the padd level down. You know, really we need to get a paddlel down as the whole front. But yeah, I think he's having a nice camp with three year top defenders not practicing and said, when you did anything new, is it is that much of a setback or no? Uh, I mean I wouldn't say it's a setback because you know, they're they're still in the room. You know, they're still part of the communication. And you know, I think, just like anything, you know, we need everybody and and this is actually a very healthy, normal exercise when when younger players get opportunities. So, I mean, you know, when you have veterans that are going through injuries, it's important to get them to get them back. You know, obviously they have there's history there, you know, but they are part of the meetings and the communication and so forth. So I just think it's it's really a good opportunity for the younger players.
Speaker 5: In particularly taken advantage of that opportune Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think all the young guys. I mean it's I mean, going through last night and I mean, you know, I'm I'm a little bit focusing on the pre snept right now because we're not We're not where we need to be, you know there. But yeah, I think you know, you know, with the injuries in the practice Saturday night, I thought Jeremy he really stepped up with his extra his extra reps, you know, in the receiver room. But yeah, I mean, I don't, I don't have anybody specific. I'm not good other things we're focus on a right now.
Speaker 5: Mike is not today.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, Maxwell will not be He won't be out there today.
Speaker 5: Do you have a timeline as far as what we might be about.
Speaker 6: No, I don't, sorry, Mike, what's different for you guys this week as you're preparing.
Speaker 4: For the well today is installed recall seven, So we have one more installed today. So we have a lot of going in as far as you know, this is our last third down installation. Uh, we're gonna work backed up. So we'll have a segment where we you know, have a competitive backed up situation. We have three series of that, So just trying to make sure we're hitting you know, all the situations, highlighting them, you know, get reviewing them into in the in the team meetings and you know, the meeting part of it. And we'll hit that again today. So and then we'll we'll shift gears tomor and start trying to focus on you know, who's gonna play and how we're gonna play, and you know what we want to do against Green Bay. Wait, when you're having a lot of turnovers in practice, can you say you good for the defense? Are you mad at the offense? Or sometimes? Does it depend? I think that's the beauty of being the head coach. You get to you get to answer those questions, you know, standing on the fence. But uh, you know, you know Obviously, as as an offensive player or coach, you don't want to have giveaways like that. And I think the biggest thing that I look for is, you know, how did the giveaway or takeaway happen? You know, someone there self inflicted giveaways. That's it, you know, that's you know, and that's we're not looking for that. But when the defensive guys make a tremendous player, you know, and they're definitely taking the ball away, you know, there's a difference between a giveaway and a takeaway. So you know, that's that's the way we break them down. That's how we calculated, and that's how we present it to the to the team.
Speaker 2: When we talked to you back in the spring, you talked.
Speaker 6: One thing you said that you're excited about this roster was the first guys off of us to be the big guys on on your team.
Speaker 4: Gabriel Rubio seems to.
Speaker 6: Be getting getting in a lot of work and doing well. What have you seen from him as a rookie like late round pick who's been able to rest plenty.
Speaker 4: Well, I think the biggest thing, you know, down in the trenches, you know, for all the guys when they first get in there, and and you could throw Max in the in the same categories. You know, do they belong? You know, can they and you know they jump out there in their first one on one, their first you know, inside run type situation and so forth, And Gabriel's definitely that guy. So I think he definitely belongs. And but he's young. You know, he's young, but he's got great bitter presence around him.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: I think the you know, the one thing we're trying to focus on is get more reps for those guys. You'll see us walk the field after practice is over with the with the younger players and just doing focus more in two minutes and so forth. But but he definitely belongs.
Speaker 7: Mike, what's been your history keeping nine or ten offensive linemen and when you keep what are the reasons that you.
Speaker 4: Want to keep the extra guns? Well, I think the roster, the overall roster, you know, answers that question. You know, it's you know, I I I I'm really focused on since you know, sixty eight players, you know, we need to come out of here. You know, it's a it's a it's a good ninety man roster. I'm I'm really focused on you know, who are those sixty eight players and you know see those there's decisions and you know projection that comes, you know, down to that there at the end. So but I I think we definitely can make a case for at least ten making our team.
Speaker 7: Might could have been a while since Broderick had played, however you set him to progress, especially with the pads.
Speaker 4: I thought Roderick picked it up the last two the last two practices, you know, I I think you know, obviously at the opportunities, you know, the reps available with Max naw practicing. You know, we had a conversation about his ability to play both left and right. You know, you know, but you could remember he's coming back from a significant injury. You know, he's he's not one hundred percent back, and then you know, so, but I I thought he definitely picked it up the last two practices.
Speaker 7: When it comes to the quarterbacks, especially the two young guys, I mean, is there a way to kind of gauge or stimulate or evaluate their playmaking sack avoidance in a practice setting or do you kind of just have to wait for I mean two.
Speaker 4: Point yes, I mean two point I mean we that's why we do the drills that we do and then and and it's how we practice in team periods. You know, there's when a when a when a defender rushes the passer and wins the pass rush, you know, and he gets the sack he's taught to you know, run by it, you know, and and he's credited with a sack when we grade to take but you know, there's still twenty one other guys working. So you know, you'll have eight times a game where the quarterbacks are gonna have to slide his feet, scramble and make a play. So we try to simulate that the best we can in practices. So that's why you'll see the scrambles and extended plays in the team periods. And and those are important reps.
Speaker 5: Like both uh.
Speaker 4: Peco and Jory. I've played in this league a long time.
Speaker 2: How have you seen their coach and translating the message into the players and what does that mean to them?
Speaker 4: It's fun to watch, you know, both those their outstanding men number one. I mean it's obviously their playing career speaks for themselves. I mean it's you know, you're talking about two Hall of Fame caliber UH type careers. But they're just high quality men. They're great examples for our players. Uh, and I just really enjoy watching them work the one on one relationships. You know, their voice in you know, and their voice will in how they handle the room. And you know they'll fund the voice more in the in the commanding, demanding way as they grow as coaches. But they have done it, I thought, I think an excellent job, particularly in the one on one opportunities.
Speaker 7: Last year, Will Howard talked a lot about how Aaron was such a will ding toward to him.
Speaker 3: Now that you've had a chance to be around.
Speaker 8: This, just what stands out about the way that Aaron has worked with these two young quarterbacks.
Speaker 4: You know, Aaron always has done that which which I have a lot of respect for, and I think it's an important component of your quarterback room, the dynamics of the quarterback room and developing everybody, the coaches included, and and you know, keeping the accountability you know, throughout that process. But it's at a different level now. I mean, he's uh, you know, he he he shares constantly, he's you know, I think he's very reflective and obviously as you make tweaks because it's it's not really about the plays we decide to run. It's it's it's it's really down into them in the specific of every single one. So you know, and because you got you have an offense that's you know, there's some things from the past you like to grow with the guys that have been here. You know, obviously we've always built a court in my time, built the offense around making the quarterback successful. So you know, his input is is very important important, But really you know, Taylor and down it's in triming and get the little things, the details, and you know, he's he has tremendous history in these concepts. You know how they were defended fifteen, twenty years ago and how they're being defended now. So it's, uh, it's it's a fun. It's a lot of fun to be in that quarterback room.
Speaker 2: That's Mike McCarthy and that will do it for us on this edition of The Drive, Matt A little bit different of a day today, a little weird why we had to pull some content from out of the ether. But hopefully tomorrow's practice, mother nature won't get in the way and we can really get some good work in before a little time off here in that first preseason game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't checked the weather, but I'm hoping that's something we can get a real good look at it. I feel like it's been a while. Yeah, good stuff.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it sure was. Thanks to our guy Justin Miller for producing back at the ranch as always, for Matt Williamson, I'm with Shuler. Take care everybody, and we'll talk to you tomorrow. As always, you know where to find us. It's on your twenty four to seven home of the Black and Gold Steelers Nation Radio on the Steelers Audio Network.