Speaker 1: Welcome to zero. I'm Akshadrati this week what the new world order looks like. We are living in a fragmenting world. It's a cliche, but it's true. It took two decades to get to the Paris Agreement, and then global cooperation really lasted only one decade. As of this year, it looks like most major emitateurs are dialing down their ambition. Sure it's only the US that has pulled out of the Global Pact, but both China and India, the two largest carbon polluters, have signaled caution about their own efforts to cut emissions over the next decade, even as I should note the need for climate action has only become more urgent, and of course climate is in the only victim of a fragmenting world. Wars are hurting people, and trade wars are hurting economies. One key reason for this fragmentation is the US under President Donald Trump, who has been taking an axe to the so called rules based international order that the US had championed for eighty years. So it's left many people thinking about what comes next. One of the most interesting analyzes I've read on this topic comes from Gordon la Forge, a senior policy analyst at the think tank New America. He wrote a piece for bloomber Weekend with the headline the new World Order will be more cooperative and more dangerous. The danger part I am keenly aware of, but the cooperation part took me by surprise. As a global challenge, theory tells us we need a global solution for climate change, but Gordon argues that perhaps we don't need all countries to act simultaneously. So how exactly will such a world work? That's the main question I had for him, But as you'll hear, it's a much wider ranging converse and surprisingly hopeful. If you have feedback, questions or guests suggestions for the show, please get in touch at zero Pod at bloomberg dot net. Now here's my conversation with Gordon Loveforge. Welcome to the show, Gordon, Thank you very nice to be here. Now let's start with this phrase, the rules based international order. It is something that we hear politicians throw around kind of all the time when they're talking about the world these days, but they don't really define it. So before we find out how exactly it's being destroyed, tell us what does it mean and how has it benefited the world.
Speaker 2: So I think it goes back to at the end of World War Two, the United States and the Western democracies especially set up a system that tried to enshrine some values in a set of institutions. These were values such as territorial integrity, self determination, free trade, human rights, and these were expressed in a set of multilateral institutions, and they were backed up by American military power and economic power. And I think the thing to note is that always, you know, Mark Carney, in a speech he gave n Davos in January, used the phrase pleasant fictions. So there was this set of rules, but the United States neglected them as it saw a fit when it's when they conflicted with its interests. They were imperfectly applied, and they didn't always stick to these rules. But nonetheless there was an expectation in the international system that you couldn't invade other countries, that you should maintain human rights, that free trade was good, expanding market access was something to be desired, and there were problem solving institutions where if there were debates, you could take it to the WTO. The UN was established to prevent prevent war and to provide a place where, in a formal way, countries could adjudicate their disputes. So there was a set of rules, even though they were imperfectly applied, as I mentioned.
Speaker 1: And so Trump comes in now and he starts hacking at this rules based order. He raises trade barriers, he kills heads of states, he threatens to take over entire countries. But it's not like he's the first world leader to do so in this post World war period. And as you say, even the US before Donald Trump has, because of its pleasant fictions, avoided these rules when it felt like So why is it that the order is being threatened now just because this US president is doing all these things?
Speaker 2: I think the way to think about what Trump is doing is that he is signaling the final up. Sure, he's putting the nail on the coffin of the order. It had already been in decline for at least two decades. I think the Iraq War, the global financial crisis, the pandemic, all of these demonstrated that the system was ineffective and fundamentally unfair. Climate change has put massive pressure and exposed the unfairness of the system. Where you have the countries who are responsible for global warming, who emitted you know, throughout history, they're the ones who are now not paying for, you know, the developing countries to respond to climate change. The countries that are most vulnerable to the effects of climate change are the ones who are least responsible for it. And the system isn't fair. So there's been a recognition for a while that the system was unfair, the system was ineffective, it wasn't provided the cooperation we needed to on solving these different transnational challenges. Trump came in and I think he accelerated this, and I think he made a lot of people realize that the system had failed because he kind of explicitly disavowed these premises that America had upheld, the pleasant fictions. He just threw them out the window. And now you see the United States acting in a completely irresponsible, aggressive way, starting wars, trashing allies. What I observe is that he doesn't seem to agree with the view that this system advanced US interests and supported US power, and he's now acting just like a someone. We are calling the US a rogue state in the system, which isn't an unfair characterization right.
Speaker 1: Now, and the unfairness of this system. I mean, you raised the climate point, which we've talked about on the show a few times, but maybe let me give you a concrete example from a very sprint field. So this is something I learned from my wife's PhD thesis. She did her PhD in international taxation, and she was working on trying to figure out how do multinational companies get taxed and how can they be fairly taxed by developing countries where they are now finding most of their customers. You know, your Coca Cola customers are really in developing countries now rather than in developed countries. And what she found as she was doing the research is that a this is something she knew I learned, which is there is no global tax system. It's all bilateral treaties signed between countries, and those treaties start from a starting point that was created by the League of Nations, which was an organization created by the colonial powers, and the way the rules were set at that time heavily biased those tax revenues going back to developed countries to rich countries where most of the corporationsisted then and many of them have continued to live. But then we had the creation of tax havens, these island nations that were giving you zero tax for your corporations to exist, which started to take away tax revenue from the US and from Europe. And that's when they woke up and they're like, no, no, no, the system was supposed to work for us. It's not working anymore. So we're going to try and come up with a global tax system, which is what the OECD tried to do. It's gone nowhere yet fully anyway, But this is sort of how deep the unfairness of this rules based order has been. Something as fundamental as the tax system that drives countries has been set up on these unfair rules. So now this system is either being shown for what it is and is being broken down by the very country that tried to put it together. And with it, we will lose some of the advantages as you laid out, maybe for rich countries, and maybe we lose some of the disadvantages. But the biggest immediate problem that comes is there's this risk of maybe the world just gets thrown into chaos. You argue that actually there is a new system already emerging. What do you mean if.
Speaker 2: You look at structurally what's been happening in the world. You have a lot of countries that have more power than they did before. When this system was initially set up, un only had fifty one member states. You know, academics say they're actually around like seventy to one hundred real nation states, but now they're more than one hundred and nine to ninety three nations. Economic power has dispersed to developing countries in the global South. A lot of middle powers have risen. I think there's been a big ongoing shift that is underappreciated from nation states to non state actors like corporations and goos. They've assumed a lot more power in the system. And the system is highly connected and continues to be so that there has been an idea that globalization is dead because of the pandemic and because of all the protectionism that we're seeing, but trade is increasing year on year. We're very connected through digital networks, through a movement of peoples, through pretty much every metric you can think of. So so structurally you have a world that continues to be very connected. You have more actors that have more agency and power than ever before. The withdrawal of the United States from the system and the end of US hegemony. You could consider that like a shock to the supply of international cooperation and the provision of public goods in the system. But demand is still really high. We have more transnational challenges than ever. I mean, climate is been put on the i think the back burner of the international agenda right now, but it's not going to stay on the back burner. It's going to continue to to express itself in lots of challenging ways for countries, and countries are going to have to come together to solve it. So there are more actors with more agency, there's more capacity, and there's more demand to solve all these problems together. So I think there's a set of issues for which you're still going to see a lot of cooperation, and you might even see more cooperation because there's no longer the expectation that the United States and this kind of concentrated system in these big institutions is going to provide all of it. You already see a lot of instances of middle powers and non state actors forming and leading coalitions to solve distinct challenges. I mean what Mia Motley has done with the Bridgetown Initiative, bringing together a coalition that includes France and Kenya and lots of donors and philanthropists that is trying to reform the international financial architecture in order to make it more equitable. You'll see I think a lot of activity like this. It'll be messy, it won't fit into neat institutions, it'll be fluid. But I think that will happen alongside the phenomenon you rightly characterized, which is that there is a lot of disorder. And I think security is one issue where it really does pay to have a principle in the high school, who keeps bullies in check, who enforces a set of rules, who has the big stick and can check countries if they're trying to, you know, be aggressive or invade other countries. And the US was playing that role, and again it didn't play that perfectly, and it was highly selective in how it applied that power. But with that gone, I think there is now a lot of its right to say that there is a law of the jungle kind of mentality that has taken over. When it comes to security. You know, we're seeing the biggest military build up globally in decades. I believe since the beginning of World War two, nuclear proliferation is back on the table. You have even Japan and South Korea or contemplating getting the bomb. So I think both of these things are going to coexist in the new world. It's it's the new world order we're entering into. It's going to be messy, it's going to be complex, but I see more potential for cooperation alongside more peril and danger.
Speaker 1: I want to come to all those things in one sequence. But let's look at the point that you make, which is that the world is actually more connected than ever before. I mean, some of the numbers that you have in your Peace and Bloom we kind are kind of astonishing that, you know, the US three is as it's tara from two percent to ten percent. And yet there's more trade, international trade that's going to happen in twenty twenty five and maybe in twenty twenty six, who knows, But there was more foreign direct investment sort of rose fourteen percent in twenty twenty five. There's also more interconnection, just in the fact that we are more connected through our devices, through the Internet, and information travels so quickly around the world, and more people are aware of what's happening on the other side of the world, which in a we sort of supported climate action because sort of twenty eighteen twenty nineteen, the period where we were seeing protests in European countries, that was feeding in other parts of the world, and there was a desire for more climate action. So, in reality, it is a more connected world. And yet why does it feel like it's fragmenting.
Speaker 2: Well, it is. It is both more connected, but it is fragmenting in important ways. There are divergences in political systems, even digital networks. You know, there was the famous line that Bill Clinton had in the nineties where he said China's attempts to cut itself off from the global Internet and apply a firewall is like trying to nail jello to a wall. And he turned out to be very wrong about that. China has very successfully created its own Internet and firewalled itself off from the world. So there is the reality of hyperconnectivity. There is also the realization of that by states and very effective ways of weaponizing interdependence and connectivity. You think of all the different choke points in digital systems, in the energy system, we're seeing a very clear example of this right now in the Strait of Hormuz, where I think countries are trying to exploit the interconnections to leverage power and assert themselves. I mean also ideologically, like, nationalism is still i'd say, the most dominant ideology on the planet. It's really remarkable when you think in previous eras there were ideological competitors. There was, you know, a big competition between communism and capitalism, even you know, having a theocracy. You know, should there be in the Muslim world, should there be a caliphate, should we have a religious system there? Really, I mean, there isn't any strong ideological competitor to nationalism nowadays. There is good reason for fragmentation. There is a lot of fragmentation in the world. But there is also this fundamental reality of hyper connectivity, and you see it in the flow of goods, in the flow of services. I think, the reality of how we consume information. I mean you mentioned that. You know, obviously the Internet has enabled data, information content to travel around the world, but the design of the devices that we use, the design of the communications networks is such that we become isolated in our own filter bubbles, and so it doesn't it doesn't feel, you know, like we're connected. It's kind of a paradox. There are a lot of paradoxes in the world right now, and one of them is that we're more connected than ever, yet we feel more isolated than ever. We feel more alone and separate than ever, and I think that's primarily because of the way we're consuming information and how it's coming to us.
Speaker 1: And then you reach this point that the middle powers didn't come together. I mean, this idea is not a new idea, but it definitely got a big boost when Prime Minister marccarney of Canada talked about it at the World Economic Forum in January. What he stopped short of, and something that I hoped we would see more examples of, is what does it look like when middle powers come together? Give me some examples.
Speaker 2: I don't think that there will be a quote unquote middle power order that is cohesive and coherent in the way that you like the NATO security alliances. I think middle powers will come together around specific issues and needs in fluid, shifting, opportunistic ways. In the essay, I use the term polyamorous geopolitics, which is a little provocative, but I think it accurately characterizes kind of the nature of the relationships between countries. Some examples I mentioned. You know, the Bridgetown initiative is one where you have Barbados leading. You know, Barbados is in a middle power, but it's a small power who has co opted France and Kenya in the relationship. Another example from climate which has not been successful, but the just energy transition partnerships with South Africa and Indonesia, which you know is a donors financiers. You probably know far more about how this has transpired. That is the I think the right kind of coalition, like a mini lateral coalition of state and non state actors to try and provide, you know, a specific lever to advance the energy transition. In practice, the tools have proven to be the wrong ones for advancing that, given that it's all in loans and been issues in Indonesia with the captive coal plants that are powering the smelters, so that hasn't been successful. But I think that is the kind of you know, when Mark Karney used to phrase variable geometry coalitions around specific issues and needs, I think in trade we're moving away. You know, the WTO has ceased to function and you're moving towards kind of a messy array of plurilateral relationships where you're having different regional trade agreements. The TPP, even though the United States withdrew for it, has evolved and merged into something much greater. So there's kind of a messy a messy array of powers that are involved around specific issues and needs. So I think it is again it's fluid, it shifts. I think you'll see in public health se North Africa has launched an MR and a hub that involves private actors and involves other countries and the goal there being to increase manufacturing capacity and development for vaccines if there's another public health emergency like COVID. So I think there are opportunities, but as I said, I don't think there will be a single cohesive coalition of middle powers that emerges. It could be wrong, but I think the interests are too diverse. And again this is demand driven. Where is their need to cooperate on transnational issues or to advance certain interests.
Speaker 1: After the break, more of my conversation with Gordon lave Forge. If you're enjoying this episode of Zero, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts. YouTube and Spotify. It makes the algorithms happy and helps more people find the show. In the climate case, there was for a long time this case that given it's a global challenge, and given we need to reach zero emissions, because that's the only way to halt warming, that all countries will have to act, and that meant, you know, it took two decades to broker the priors agreement from nineteen ninety five for the first COP to COP twenty one, and of course we know it's not worked as well as it should have worked. Finally you had an agreement. Because of the way the agreement came together, there was no enforcement mechanism. Countries had to peer pressure each other into becoming more ambitious. And now that there are tensions in the world, countries like China and India have east on their own efforts. They might do more, but they don't want to say they're going to do more. But then when I talked to experts on how exactly should we try and climate change if it is not the UN system, many say that maybe there's a different global agreement that we have to come to. But if you start from scratch, you still have to come to a global agreement to act because this requires all countries to get to zero emissions. But you think there can be other ways in which we can still act on climate.
Speaker 2: How exactly the fundamental assumption of first the Kyoto Protocol and then I mean later the Paris Agreement, but the Kyoto Protocol and the UNF Triple C it was built on the example of the Montreal Protocol, and I think it's a case where we took the example or the case of a simple linear problem and tried to apply it to a very complex, larger problem. So for Montreal, it was an agreement to ban the use of CFCs to prevent the hole in the ozone layer. You had a very specific set of industrial chemical The same companies that CFCs also created the replacement for them that didn't harm the ozone layer, So there wasn't a lot of cost to switching, it turned out, and you could get a binding treaty for countries to ban this. It was a relatively simple problem. Trying to do the same thing with carbon dioxide and methane emissions, it's completely different. Pretty much every feature of the modern economy produces these greenhouse gas emissions as a byproduct, so you're talking about systemic transformations of the food system, of the transportation system, of the energy system, of all these very complex, interlacking systems. The idea that you could have one single agreement or target that all countries would sign up to to try and solve that problem, I think was just a misplaced assumption, an admirable one, like a good attempt, But I think the failure. I think that Paris is kind of an acknowledgment that that approach doesn't work for the problem. Paris shifted us towards, you know, more of a bottom up voluntary reductions regime, and that also, you know, in the in the face of domestic pressure and these fundamental questions about unfairness. You know, if you are a country who is trying to beat poverty and develop, why should you reduce your emissions when the United States and Europe got rich and profitable and advanced off of burning all these emissions in the first place and causing the problem. I don't think it necessarily is harmful to have the UNFC Triple C and the Paris Agreement, but actual action is going to come, I don't know, in a variety of very messy ways. Another thing about the new order that we're entering into. That I think is interesting is one of the main functions of American hegemony was to secure her global oil markets and to secure the free transit of oil to like support you know, the fossil fuel system. We're seeing that with the crisis and the Strait of Hormuz that when you take away American leadership over that system, you know, you now have a lot of countries in Asia that are hastening their adoption of renewables and making that more of a priority because you can no longer depend on the global oil market to function as it was before. So there's a side effect there of the new strategic strategic interests that are driving that. Again, I don't think there is one single replacement for, you know, the Global Grand Bargain on climate, but I think that that idea was if not, you know, it doesn't actively harm the effort. I don't think it was ever going to be achieved, and I think it was too much of a challenge to get there.
Speaker 1: Well. But just like you talked about how in the world of trade, where an ideal system, as economists would want it would be free trade, which has been worked on and shown theoretically to be beneficial to more parties than would be a system where there are trade barriers, and yet we are now living in a world of trade barriers and this sort of hotch potch of trade deals that countries are signing, which from an economic perspective is less efficient, but you argue, is something that is more politically resilient, more politically sustainable in the long term. We haven't quite yet seen what that would look like. In climate There have been attempts, as you pointed, out of some groups coming together. I would argue the Bridgetown initiative did not get any results out of it. It was good to talk about ideas, but we are yet to see concrete ideas at scale. There are may be one or two examples here in the world. We've talked about an example in Brazil that looks at trying to lower the cost of currency exchange risks that are perceived in developing countries, but they're very handful there. And so it feels dangerous to me to think that we can pin our hopes on this kind of networked system to provide us the solutions that we need to tackle a problem like climate change or pick up global pandemics. I feel like, you know, great to have South Africa have an mRNA initiative, but in the face of another type of micro organism which cannot be attacked by mRNA, we will still need a different type of technology to address it. That will still need us to try and get world to work together. And we don't have a system that actually attacks a global pandemic that can't be addressed with mRNA. So it is a hopeful case you make, but I just I can't see the hope in it yet.
Speaker 2: There's no replacement. I mean, states are still the most powerful actors in the world. And the choice by the Trump Anddministration, for instance, to scuttle the Inflation Reduction Act. You probably know the data better than I do, but I think the projection is it will set back US emissions reductions targets by like two thirds over the next However, many years. States still have an immense amount of power and it still is good. I don't think we want states to abandon international cooperation in any sense. I just think the ways that they are going to cooperate are not going to occur as much under the big architecture of these institutions. As they did before. Multilateralism won't go anywhere. By the way, I think the UN will continue to exist, like these big institutions will continue to exist and nations will use them. All the networks complement that. Whether they can provide the replacement that we need to actually solve these challenges will remain to be seen. But I do believe there is the potential just because again there is a lot of demand to do this. A lot of this is also rooted in just psychology and politics. If we see some catastrophic climate related event, you know, the heat wave that kills tens of millions of people that is in Kim Stanley Robinson's Ministry for the Future, you can imagine that will really prompt a lot of action, not just states, but other actors as well. So the point is that we shouldn't be pinning our hopes on these other actors to do things. But the reality is that there are a lot of actors with a lot more capacity and agency that are contributing to solving these problems because they have a stake in them. Not to flatter your boss, but Michael Bloomberg has basically established himself as a non state sovereign actor when it comes to climate policy. The United States pulled out of the Paris Climate Agreement twenty seventeen. He and again, you know, after Biden put us back in. Trump again pulled out in twenty twenty five, and for the second time, Michael Bloomberg himself put up the funds for the US contribution to the UNF Triple C catalyzed the US Climate Alliance. You know, the arrangement of governors and mayors that are going to still commit to meeting these emissions targets has provided you know, more than a billion dollars in funding to try and help, you know, He's make the transition happen, closing coal plants, gas infrastructure reductions, all these things. So there are a lot of actors that are doing a lot more. In a perfect world, states would be doing this, you know. But there's also a question of whether states are the right actor to solve the problems that emerge from climate change. Specifically, Jonathan Blake and Nils Gilman have this concept of planetary subsidy. They argue that climate is a is a planetary challenge that no state can solve on its own, and most states aren't responsible for even the creation of it, but then a lot of the impacts and a lot of the adaptation happens at the local level. So really it's like most of it doesn't occur at the level of state. We're operating at the wrong level of political organization that you need local and you need planetary governance of it. But it shouldn't be states. But again, states are the most powerful actors. They're what we have, and so yes, we want them to cooperate and we want them to work together to solve this, but there's a lot of other actors who are involved also.
Speaker 1: But in this planetary subsidiary system, if states aren't the right actors for it, who are the actors?
Speaker 2: Well, what they describe doesn't exist yet, right. They're talking about the creation of like more supernational institutions that could solve and manage these problems at a planetary level. That obviously doesn't exist yet it won't from what I see, come into existence anytime soon. We have this system that we have of states and that remain very powerful. But it's an underappreciated shift that has continued to happen that where state power in a lot of different issues has actually been diminishing even though we live in a time of the resurgence of great power politics and attacks on civil society and non state actors. And you see the US government trying to co opt corporations, especially the tech companies, to achieve its goals and make them comply with their preferences. But they're often not successful in doing that because a lot of these actors have capacities wealth reach that governments don't have. States aren't going to go anywhere, But there is a shift towards some of these non state actors.
Speaker 1: Yes, there is the theory of change which continues to come up in anything to do with climate, which is it's politics first and the economics follows, because states tend to be powerful actors, and they can shape businesses and reshape wealth in a way that no other actor can, and so they can drive economics in a particular way, and to some extent it makes sense. This is how the fossil fuel system got embedded. That is how the dollar system got embedded. That is how these unfairness in the system, like the tax system exists because the rules were created and then laid out. But there's also a flip side of it, which is economics can drive politics, and you can also equally make a pretty strong case for that. I mean the point you're making about billionaires. There might be some benine billionaires, but there are also evil billionaires and they can take that money and drive politics, and we know we've seen that happen in many countries. We can also see how global capital which sure there are billionaires, but most of the capital is actually among asset managers that have capital of everyday people like me, and then they can use their own ways to shape politics. We know the bond market, for example here in the UK, has been able to drive policy changes because it did not like what a government did. We know, for example, and this is not me saying it. Donald Trump himself has said it that he does not want to use a nuclear weapon because if he does, the stock market will fall like nothing else. And so there are these capital flows that can control and shape policy choices, and so economics can drive policy. But to me, that world feels like a world where we don't see people working together in ways to actually solve problems. It just feels like distributed power trying to do what it wants, and it feels like a much more chaotic world. So I'm still struggling to see how network collaboration can happen in those places where you say that there is desire for action. That is true, we know that polls show that people are interested in acting on climate change, But how does that desire then translate into a network collaboration That still feels like a missing piece to me.
Speaker 2: So in corporations, yes, it's it's not always benign. I mean it's there are some who are taking positive action and want to do things. This is also not a new phenomenon. It's an excellent book by Steve Cole called Private Empire about Exon Mobile's foreign policy essentially throughout the decades, and Exon Mobile acted as its own like a company state from the time of the East India company. The tech company today behave in a very similar way and have power that many would argue rivals or is even greater than what the company states were Like. You know, three point five billion people every day use a meta app, so it's even infiltrating the thought patterns of people all around the world. So there is an immense amount of power in private actors right now. I wouldn't argue that this translates towards greater cooperation by any means we are living in a state of disorder. That's not the question. I wouldn't dispute that. I just don't think disorder necessarily means chaos and destruction. I think disorder can also produce cooperative behavior that will then advance certain goals, depending on the interests of all the actors involved. You could argue that the bond market forcing Trump to abandon his Liberation Day tariffs ort to scale them back considerably, that's a positive thing for supporting a system of global cooperation financially. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean you use the phrase the law of the jungle, which is something that many people have used to describe something should be avoided, like it's a bad thing. But honestly, the forest ecosystem there is brutishness in it, but most of it is kind of amazing. There are all these collaborative ecosystems that exist that allow nature to flourish in ways that just because there's a lion in the jungle somewhere that is only one part of the forest ecosystem. The jungle in itself is pretty amazing, and so in fact, we could use the rules of the jungle to improve civilization if you really want it to. But let me come back to the end of your piece where you actually do end on a note of caution, because you say that for all the network system that it might be able to solve problems, one thing it doesn't work for is security. Why is that? Why is there a need for a hegemen a bully in the global system?
Speaker 2: History has shown and I don't know, you get deep into the roots of human nature. You could go back to Hobbes. I guess that when there is a leviathan that can provide security, everyone is better off. There are bad actors in the world. There's more war now than at any point since the end of World War two. More countries are in conflict with one another. If there is a principle, if there is a you know, a leviathan that can provide a check on territorial aggression, on the impulses of states to conquer one another and to acquire territory, you know that is overall a good thing. We're in a situation that is more anarchic from a security perspective, and I think if it's better when you have when you have a hedgemon, we don't have that right now, and there's more conflict. You know that the law of the jungle is prevailing when it comes to security. There aren't the same checks that there were, and so I think while there is potential for cooperation, the danger is very extreme and we're seeing it. And I talked earlier about nonproliferation, I mean proliferation of nuclear weapons. There's the massive global military build up that's underway. The world is a lot more dangerous, a lot more insecure, and you know, bullies are a lot bolder than they were before. There aren't the same checks. There aren't the same systems that can prevent countries from going to war with each other. So I think it is true that there is an unraveling of the global security system. NATO is now in serious peril and it's not clear whether it will persist. So, yeah, the world is a lot more dangerous. It worked. It was a lot more secure if you have one power that can kind of maintain a security blanket over the world.
Speaker 1: This hub in view, which comes from this quote that is cited often where he says that without a government or an authority, life will be solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short, is something that this researcher named Lukemp argues is simply not true. He wrote this book called Goliath's Curse, which was looking at five thousand years of history of civilization and how they collapse, and he finds that actually that human nature can be much more altruistic than it's been made out to be, and that the civilizations that have lasted the longest have actually shown to be much more collaborative than having a king or a dictator run them. If anything, a king or a dictator tends to be the end of a civilization much sooner, and so the view is much more complicated than having a hegimen. But yes, the recent history might show that to be the case. Now, where Luke Kemp's case and we had him on the part cast breaks down is that he also notes that in this hyper connected global world, we have not had a test of civilization of this kind, and so I cannot always take what lessons we learned from the collapse of past civilizations and neatly map them on the current global civilization that we existed. That is the challenge we have in front of us. This was a great conversation. I thought your essay was fantastic. I hope listeners will check it out. You'll put the link in the show notes. Thank you, Gordon, actually it is a pleasure, and thank you for listening to zero now for the sound of the week. That is the unpleasant sound of Iran's shahiddrone that's killed many people across the Middle East and damaged infrastructure. If you liked this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar Boyd with help from Moses Andam and Somarsadi. Our theme music is composed by Wonderley Special thanks to Lora Milan and shan chan I am Akshatrati. Back soon.