Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news. Bloomberg Tech is live from the heart of Silicon Valley with ed la Though in San Francisco.
Speaker 2: This is Bloomberg Tech coming up.
Speaker 3: SpaceX is selling investment grade bonds for the first time following its record breaking IPO.
Speaker 2: We'll have the details.
Speaker 3: Plus Micron strikes an AI infrastructure agreement with Anthropics to drive enterprise AI adoption and a lot more. And Chevron signs a twenty year deal with Microsoft to power a West Texas data center could be one of the biggest in US.
Speaker 2: Good Morning, Monday.
Speaker 3: June twenty second, twenty twenty six, SpaceX's inaugural bond sale. This is about repaying their existing debt funding corporate needs, and Bloomberg's reporting has been spot on. What we understand is that right now you have the same banks they've been working with on their existing financing going out, holding investor meetings, gauging appetite. But we believe that they'll look at maybe raising around twenty billion dollars through this mechanism. By the way, the stock is down for a third straight session, down ten percent this Monday, trading below one hundred and seventy dollars a share. Remember this is an IPO that priced on June twelfth, June eleventh Trader June twelve, one hundred and thirty five dollars a share. Now, why would a company sitting on one hundred billion dollars and more of cash need to tap the corporate debt market? Bloomberg Intelligence writing that quote, despite operational questions and considerable key man risk, they expect SpaceX's debt issue to be very warmly received.
Speaker 2: There's only one man for the job.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg Intelligence senior credit analyst, Robert Schiffman. That's the story, right, Why would a company that has one hundred billion dollars of cash on hand and do this?
Speaker 2: Explain?
Speaker 4: Well, I didn't think I could be more bullish, but every day I wake up and show up at Bloomberg, I'm more and more bullish on AI, and I think this deal is just going to support that. You know, why do they need to raise more money. It's because over the next handful of years they're probably going to spend a lot more than one hundred billion dollars. In fact, the free cash flow is probably going to be a lot more than one hundred billion dollars. On the negative side. So they're going to need money because they're building the next hyperscaler business in space.
Speaker 3: Let's go to the investor demand or appetite for this. We had reported even prior to the IPO that SpaceX had managed to get investment grade ratings from the three main agencies, and in your react you basically say, this is how we think they'll stack up relative to their hyperscale piers. You have a greater rating. Still, why does all of that matter?
Speaker 4: Well, I think listen, nobody owns SpaceX right now from the bond side, so there's going to be enormous demand when you have an inaugural offering like this, it's going to be a feeding frenzy. And quite frankly, I think three quarters of the people that are going to buy the bonds aren't even going to know what this company does. It's going to be very much of a buy now, ask questions later. But what do they have supporting them? They've got very strong, stable investment grade ratings. You do not have to worry about this name going to jump. You've got perhaps the greatest investor of our generation, Elon Musk, who I think has replaced Warren Buffett, and you have one hundred billion dollars of cash sitting on the books, plus tremendous upside across a diversity of businesses. My sense is, if they raise twenty odd billion dollars, you're going to have a book size that's well north of one hundred billion dollars.
Speaker 3: You mean the demand, the one hundred billion dollars demand for twenty billion dollars of supply, just real quick like, trying to compare and contrast.
Speaker 2: The equity story.
Speaker 3: This stocks down nine percent one hundred and sixty seven dollars a share for the equity investor. They read the prospectives, they listen to Elon Musk, and everything that's being pitched is very far into the future, but is the kind of common denominator between the equity investors' approach and the credit investors approach to SpaceX. Trying to understand the path of CAPEX. Does it work the same way?
Speaker 4: Listen? Equity and credit are different. Equity is based on hope and future cash flows. Credit generally is based upon present cash flows and what leverage looks like right now. I actually do think that those are going to somewhat come together over time. This company is committed to reasonably low leverage below three times. They're committing to having twenty five billion dollars of cash on the books for the foreseeable future, and there's a hope of just absolute tremendous growth. Quite frankly, it's not so different than what Microsoft or Alphabet or Amazon is doing. And just remember in the early days of names like Amazon, they lost a lot of money too. You have to spend money to make money. This is what this company is doing. I think the bond market's going to be there to fund it, and I think the equity market when you start thinking about valuations, all these AI revenues in particular come in. Remember this company is going to transition from what is a satellite data business and aerospace and defense business to what's going to be a hyperscaler in the sky. I think there's nothing but upside when it comes to revenues and casualows for this business. So bondholders and credit holders will sort of all be looking at the same thing a few years from now.
Speaker 2: Doing both.
Speaker 3: Robert Schiffman, senior credit analysts of Bloomberg Intelligence, thank you very much. We talked a lot about SpaceX so far, this morning, But the bigger market story is this return of tech leadership. Right, chip stocks outperforming and leading again. Software continues to lag. There's a lot of focus on lower energy prices, what's happening in the golf, and that's supporting the growth trade.
Speaker 2: Joining US senior.
Speaker 3: Portfolio manager Tiffany Wade at Columbia Frednedle, there's a lot to kind of put together in this morning session. But again technology continues to be the story in this market.
Speaker 2: Is that true for you?
Speaker 5: Yes, that's absolutely true. We did see tech stocks take a bit of a breather, including semi stocks last week, but they're after the races again this week and that continuously the market higher.
Speaker 3: Of course, for investors of all types, the outlook for monetary policy and rates is important. It was really interesting Noria Rabini on Bloomberg Television earlier basically saying, nah, it's still tech.
Speaker 2: Just listen to this real quick. People obsessed with the FED. Whether there's fifty businesspose higher, where's al right? Now, what's the difference. The key story is tech boom and that's going to be the most important first order I feel anything else.
Speaker 3: You know, Tiffany, I grew up in the Bloomberg Newsroom school of Well, you got to understand the rate environment because higher rates discount the present value of future cash flows, and future cash flows are one way that we measure the health and valuation of technology companies big and small.
Speaker 2: Does the FED really matter at all?
Speaker 5: I think the FED still matters a lot, and it matters a lot for tech stocks as well. It matters a lot for high growth stocks. We did see a slightly more hawkish FED meeting last week, Kevin Worsh's first FED meeting. However, you know, quite a bit has changed since the data they were looking at last week, including the MoU between the US and Iran. So I think we might see, you know, potentially some different news coming out of the next FED meeting. Off oil prices continue to normalize, and.
Speaker 3: In the background, of course, for the Bloomberg Tech audience, you know that there are headlines coming from the Vice President and his participation in the talks between the United States in Iran. We're very soon going to start talking about earnings again, and I just wondered Tipany from Columbia thread Neils perspective, how important earning's momentum is going to be for a market where technology continues to dominate.
Speaker 5: We're going to get a first read on that from Micron this Wednesday. I think that's going to be very important to see if the momentum from these stocks can continue. We're going to want to see continued revenue upside from a lot of the semiconductor stocks, and we're also probably going to want to see continued CAEPEX positive capex comments from all of the hyperscalers. That will help keep the spending party going. For all of the ass cated infrastructure names related to AI build out.
Speaker 3: It's really hard in aggregate to kind of say where's the beginning, middle, and end here? You know, I think you'd note right, tiffanyed it last week some of the chip stocks, the picks and shovels, took a bit of a breather, and off we are again today with the Philadelphia Semiconductor Index outperforming and engauge that's up ninety percent year to date.
Speaker 2: How long can that carry on for?
Speaker 5: I think we're going to see this continue for another couple of quarters. The outlook for these stocks related to AI infrastructure spending is tremendous, and the revenue and earning estimates continue to be revised higher, and I think as long as that continues, you'll continue to see these stocks working. And some of the announcement we've seen, you know, with Micronanthropic and then also around you know, Microsoft and you know more data center spending in Texas continues to reinforce the story that this spending is going to continue for another couple of years and probably continue at a faster pace than it has been for the last one or two years. So I think we'll cantinue to see those positive earnings revisions that will continue to push the stockshire.
Speaker 3: We started the program today talking about SpaceX's inaugural bond sale, but I just use that as a case study that with Capex, both in equity, the market's being flooded, right, Alphabet doing its offering, the use of corporate credit to fund what's going on. How closely are you tracking these companies going to market to get the capital.
Speaker 2: They need to fund these big commitments.
Speaker 5: We're certainly focused on the outcome of these bond sales because I think it's an indicator of the appetite for the market for the amount of Capex spending that the companies are doing.
Speaker 2: It's also non.
Speaker 5: Indicator of future capex expectations. So as those bond sales continue to increase in size, it can you know, it means that capex spending intentions continue to rise. So it's certainly something that we're watching to indicate the health of the capex spending cycle and also the intention of a lot of the large companies around additional spending for AI infrastructure.
Speaker 3: Tiffany, real quick, what's the next thing you're watching for on your calendar?
Speaker 5: I think it's probably earnings Micron this Wednesday is certainly a big one that we'll be keeping an eye out for.
Speaker 3: And there's been some news this morning about Micron and a deal with Anthropic, which we'll get to you later in the program. Tiffany Wade of Columbia, Fred needle Back on.
Speaker 2: Bloomberg Tech, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: Now coming up, Meta invests nine hundred million dollars into an Indian fintech startup called Cred, with plans to appoint its founder as the new leader of WhatsApp. We've got more on that story next, and sticking with big tech names, also taking a look at shares of Alphabet, parent of Google, down six percent in the session, biggest drop since February, as it stands, a lot in the newsflow has been about the departures from various parts of Google's AI initiatives, the latest being a prominent AI research or Google DeepMind. Vice president John Jumper said Friday he was leaving for Anthropic. That seems to be weighing on this stock. Keep tracking it. This is Bloomberg Tech, all right. Some headlines have just crossed the Bloomberg terminal. SpaceX appears to have signed a deal with Reflection AI worth about six point three billion dollars.
Speaker 2: That's according to some reports out there.
Speaker 3: I think the company is also just put headlines out of its own. SpaceX can end the deal after three months, and Reflection is set to pay SpaceX one hundred and fifty million dollars per month for that compute as part of the deal. It didn't really do much to ease the pressure on the stock, which is again down for a third straight day, but still above its IPO price one hundred and thirty five dollars a share. Big Tech is turning to big oil to meet the electricity demand of the AI boom. Microsoft has signed a twenty year deal with Chevron to build a massive natural gas fire generating station for a proposed data center in West Texas, dubbed Project Kilby. The power once expected to power up by twenty twenty eight. Bloomers Kevin Crowley joins US for more from Houston. The scale of this is on paper pretty big, right, So they're talking about ramping up to about two point six two point seven gigawatts.
Speaker 2: What do we need to know about this?
Speaker 3: And like the natural gas part of it, the Permian West Texas very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. Well, that's the key part of this.
Speaker 6: It's a huge power power plant to fund an enormous data center. But the really important part is it's right in the middle of the Permian Basin, which which many people know is the.
Speaker 2: Biggest oil field here in the US.
Speaker 6: But with all the oil that comes up, there's an enormous amount of natural gas that also comes and there's so much natural gas within the basin that it actually often overwhelms pipeline capacity and has to be either burned off or companies have to pay people to take it away. So there is abundance of natural gas and that is what Chevron and Microsoft and they're partner Engine Number one, are looking to take advantage of here got incredibly cheap natural gas that can that can fuel the power station that will then power this this big data center that Microsoft plans to build.
Speaker 3: Discuss in your report the bigger picture of what Microsoft's trying to do right. Microsoft has said it wants to double data center capacity of its own over the next two years, and in aggregate, that's the direction that the United States is going in over the next decade. But they'd also had these like prior commitments to match the sourcing of their power in terms of their commitments from renewable sources, this is natural gas. So how are they managing all of that?
Speaker 6: Microsoft have said that they're they're pursuing kind of a diversification strategy, So they want they want diversification both in terms of geography but also in terms of fuel sources to renewables and natural gas. And I think they're pursuing nuclear as well. I mean, obviously the natural gas as is on is on the fossil fuel side, so it does does create a lot more a lot more emissions. We are seeing some of these big tech companies UH sort of diluting or walking away some of these prior commitments to two one hundred percent renewable energy, just because of the sheer scale of the of the demand and the ambitions that AI in AI that they have.
Speaker 2: There is in this project.
Speaker 6: There are there are guardrails to mitigate the emissions, and they do have plans to to maybe build in some build in some solar, maybe some batteries at some point in the in the future. But but the end of the day, it's an enormous natural gas plants, so the emissions are going to are going to be sizable associated with that.
Speaker 3: Chevron's shares modestly higher. Microsoft shares modestly lower after still was announced. Bloombers Kevin Crowley in Houston, thank you well.
Speaker 2: Modestly so.
Speaker 3: Misoft down two percent, turning out to news in big tech, Meta is shaking up the executive suite at WhatsApp and is in part a massive nine hundred million dollar investment into an Indian fintech startup, Cred. So Meta is tapping Cred's founder Canal Shah to step in is the new global chief of WhatsApp to build out new revenue streams for the mesaging platform. Ms Kat Wagner joins us with the story, it's not straightforward, this okay, so basically the news is there's a new head of WhatsApp. But the mechanism that Metas used to get there is also interesting.
Speaker 7: It is and you're right, there's two parts of this, the investment part in credit. There's the new executive for WhatsApp in Kunal Shah. And this is a strategy that you may be somewhat familiar with from Meta. With this sort of like invest in recruit at the same time. This is how they got Alexander Wang from Scaleai.
Speaker 2: Last summer.
Speaker 7: They invested heavily in Scale and recruited alex Wang at the same time. This is a very similar approach smaller scale. This is a smaller investment than last summers, but this is sort of their way of bringing entrepreneurs who have their own businesses, who have you know, a financial stake in a startup and enticing them to come work at a more established company like Meta.
Speaker 2: How's Meta sort of explaining this.
Speaker 3: You know, we put a lot of emphasis on the idea that WhatsApp can monetize in different ways future revenue streams.
Speaker 2: Is there any kind of hint of what that looks like.
Speaker 7: Well, they're doing a handful of things right now, including ads, subscriptions, and business messaging. Those are sort of the three things that are going for revenue. What I think is important here is that Khunaalshab being from India and having an Indian startup is not a coincidence.
Speaker 2: WhatsApp is huge in India.
Speaker 7: They see a ton of potential there from a business standpoint, and I think they thought that it was important to, you know, have someone very familiar with market and very familiar with how WhatsApp is used in that region coming in and taking over. And so the hope is certainly that he can take those revenue streams that are sort of already in place but grow them considerably in India, but also in other markets outside of North America.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg text cut Wagner with the meadow WhatsApp story, thank you very much. I want to go to China's battery metals market. Chinese lithium futures have plunged nearly nine percent over the last two days over speculation that caatl could soon restart, one of the world's largest lithium mines. A preliminary provincial land notice has some investors' bedding that the site may reopen in the second half of twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: Now that supply.
Speaker 3: Volatility comes as Beijing tries to sharpen its geopolitical leverage over other critical minerals integral to making everything from iPhones to missiles. China has imposed new export controls on major US rare earth producers, MPEd Materials and USA rare Earth. The retaliatory move comes off to the Pentagon blacklisted some of China's biggest firms earlier this month. Okay, coming up, Apple's design revival incoming, CEO John Turnas looks to restore the creative edge that defined the iPhone era.
Speaker 2: That's sex, this is Bloomberg tech.
Speaker 8: I mean hara anod, and it's time now for talking tech. First up, ten Cents is giving we Chat an AI upgrade. The company is testing a new assistant called Shaowei with a small group of users, allowing them to complete tasks through text or voice. The move could bring AI to weed Chat more than one billion users and help ten cents compete with rivals like Ali Baba and byte Edance in China's AI race.
Speaker 2: Plus.
Speaker 8: Robinhood is looking to raise two billion dollars through a convertible bond off, tapping into a booming market for corporate fundraising. The company says about three hundred million dollars of the proceeds will go towards share buybacks, with additional funds earmarks for hedging transactions tied to the deal end. Climb is gearing up for its Wall Street debut. The electric bike and scooter rental company is looking to raise up to one hundred and eighty one million dollars in its USIPO, offering six point seven million shares at between twenty four and twenty six dollars a piece. At the top end of that range, that uberbacked company would be valued at about one point seven billion dollars ed.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, you hire right now.
Speaker 3: Apple built its reputation on iconic product design, but the influence of the team behind the iPhone and iPad has faded over the past decade. Bloombo's Mark German writes in this week's power On newsletter that the incoming CEO knows a major design shakeup is needed and is getting ready to put his firm imprint on the tea. Mark joins us, now, and this is about the industrial design studio that in the era of first Steve Jobs and then Johnny Ive for a very long time held a lot of power within the organization at Apple. What are you writing about empower on that's changed and why do you think that the incoming CEO takes us back to that place of power.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Over the past decade or so, you've seen the industrial design studio go from where exactly the future products are is dreamed up, where the whole company would come in to rally around the next big thing, leading to products like the iPhone, the iPad, the iMac, the iPod, the Apple Watch, you name it. And it's now more of a service organization where different teams, operations, engineering, they come in, they get what they need, and they get out. It's no longer the central hub, the influential center of innovation for the company, and John Turnus knows that things need to be shaken up there. The head of the industrial design team Molly Anderson. She's known as a great individual designer. She's known as someone who's beloved by her team. But it's not like Apple went out to look for the best industrial design leader in the world to take that position. They made that choice from a place of defense, not wanting more people to leave the team. Versus the perspective of a company that's worth three trillion dollars plus that could go out and get anyone they want to lead design in this post Johnny ive era that's already been going on for nearly a decade.
Speaker 3: Mark you've detailed recently the kind of roadmap on the hardware side for not just the rest of this year, but beyond that. Is there a case study of where this kind of return to design focus plays out.
Speaker 2: We just have about thirty seconds.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean we would like to see bigger design changes, right for the first time in twenty years. You're going to have a meaningful shakeup to the iPhone over the next few months with the fold wall phone, which I'm calling the iPhone Ultra. But there's a lot more to be done. There's more product categories. Major changes are necessary to freshen up the AirPods and the album watch. Those are categories that have essentially looked the same since twenty sixteen.
Speaker 3: Right, Blue Moos Mark German who puts power on out on Sunday mornings and then comes on Bloomberg Tech Monday to go through it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: Now, coming up, Micron lands a key deal with anthropic as AI demand keeps surging. It's so interesting to see Micron and Memory name go direct to a frontier lab.
Speaker 2: We're going to go through that. This is what your markets look like.
Speaker 3: Kind of muted, but outperformance in chips, which has been the story of the year.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Our top stories today, SpaceX's bond sale and Micron striking a partnership with Anthropic. Bloomberg executive reporter Kim Ragki here with details.
Speaker 2: On both coming.
Speaker 10: Yeah, thanks, Ed. So we're seeing a lot of red on the screen today here with SpaceX share the are down about eight percent off the lows of the day. But if this continues, this will notch a third straight day of selling and the name after its record breaking IPO. So what we're seeing here this morning is that investors might be reacting to a few different things. One is this investment grade bond sale the company looking to raise even more money to spend on AI funded sort of future growth after raising a record seventy five billion in an IPO. The other thing we're seeing here is, you know, classic volatility that we see from IPOs, especially ones that have low float, like we know is the case here for SpaceX. We also are looking today at shares of Micron, so this stock is looking a little bit better today, up about four point four percent. It's bucking the broader trend down in the market today. What's happening this morning is that the company said that it has a strategic agreement with Anthropic, so it's going to work together on things like memory and storage architecture for AI, and also gave some money to to one of the Anthropics funding rounds. This company has been on an absolutely massive stock rally. The shares are up more than two hundred and sixty percent from a March thirtieth trough here, and we're going to be watching this one really closely because it reports earnings on Wednesday after market.
Speaker 3: Clothes the most common rhinicky, Thank you very much, Let's stay with Micron. Jake Silverman of Bloomberg Intelligence says Micron's new supply deal with Anthropic highlights just how tight memory chip capacity has become. He says major AI data center customers are increasingly locking in long term agreements to secure that supply, and Jake joins us, now, this is the thing, though, it's a deal between Micron and a frontier lab direct right, not not the middleman that we call hyperscale. How unusual is that? How surprised were you to see it?
Speaker 11: It's definitely not typical for memory makers themselves to sign these kind of deals, but it's not necessarily uncommon for big customers to look for supply assurances. Hyperscalers themselves have often done this in terms of how you think about wayfer allocation from someone like TSMC, for.
Speaker 3: Example, in your react, you're talking about it being reflective of the situation, the state of play, and how tight supply is. But this is good news for Micron, right if you just go on the sheer reaction alone.
Speaker 11: Yeah, this is good for Micron in the sense that it gives them a little bit more visibility into the actual downstream demand, at least theoretically based on what we're seeing from the agreement that they actually put out in their press release. So you know, Micron needs to build out capacity, right, The entire industry is supply constrained, and this allows them to potentially build it out in a responsible way so that when Anthropic is serving their customers, increasing their capacity not specifically of memory, but the chips to allow people to use their models. So now theoretically Micron can get an idea of exactly how much chip demand there actually is.
Speaker 3: You write in the react note that this sets them up well for the next down cycle situation. You know, historically memory markets have been cyclical, right, boom and bust. We talk about that a lot on the show, But there are loads of people that don't think there'll be a downcycle, you know, in the traditional sense, because of the trajectory of data center building an investment. Just explain your point of view on that.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I think just if you look at historical trends, Having covered memory for a while, we've always seen up cycles and down cycles, and I don't think that just because we're seeing very robust demand right now, it doesn't mean that we won't see price declines on say a sequential or you're over your basis in the future. What these agreements might do, though, on the other hand, is it might reduce some of the volatility. We've seen massive price decreases in the past during down cycles, such as you know, fifty percent or so quarter over quarter, So we might see a reduction in some of that volatility. And at the same time, if you look at past cloud cycles, there are periods where capex if flattens or declined slightly, and so that might be an opportunity for hyperscalers to get slightly better deals on the actual memory that they're purchasing. So we don't necessarily think that the cycle is not going to happen again or downcycle, but we do think that we might see less volatility, more of a straightforward idea of what the demand levels will be over the next say five years.
Speaker 3: Jacob, As you know, Micro reports fiscal third quarter earnings after market closed Wednesday.
Speaker 2: What are your expectations got.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we think they're definitely going to offer guidance results that are above consensus right now.
Speaker 2: We do think that.
Speaker 11: They'll talk a little bit about some of their contracts. But I think one of the reasons that they make this announcement today with Anthropic is it's something that they can highlight to investors to give everyone idea of what types of customers that they're signing to these agreements. But we don't necessarily think that they're going to give a lot of details in terms of you know, we don't think they're going to give anything in terms of pricing. They might not say anything in terms of the length of these contracts or a lot of the very intricate details. But that said, I think they'll probably give a longer term view of how they see the market, given the fact that there are more of these contracts being signed and memory prices continue to be very strong, and the environment is very favorable for them at least through this year, and we think at least into next year as well.
Speaker 3: And to recap micro on not four percent on this supply agreement with Anthropic, but up more than three hundred percent. Here today Jake Silverman of Bloomberg Intelligence, with the analysis now coming up. The CEO of Base ten and one of its lead investors, is coming on the show to talk about the inference startup's latest one point five billion dollar fundraise. But this is really a conversation about the economics of AI, and particularly as we transition increasingly to inference, the use of open source and getting the best cost dollar per token.
Speaker 2: Really really looking forward to this one. It's next. Swim Bog Tech.
Speaker 3: In Video is developing chips and software that will make humanoid robots safer around people. Humanoid robotics are expected to generate two hundred billion dollars in revenues by twenty thirty five, according to Barkley's estimates, but current safety systems can make the machines less productive. In Vidia's Halo software will give robots a much better sense of their surroundings so they can interact and even make contact with people.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk with a little bit more about that later in the week.
Speaker 3: Aim ferance startup Base ten has raised one point five billion dollars across two tranchers, one an eleven billion dollar valuation, the other at thirteen billion dollars. Base ten specializes in delivering software and computing capacity to companies tapping open source, typically lower cost AI models. The firm's co founder and CEO two instead of US that joins along with one of its investors, Ultimated Capital partner Paul of Agrowaile, who's firm co led the round and actually was really interesting the list of participants that back to you. Let's start with the basic questions that the audience always has, which is, wow, you know, one point five billions doll a round to a lot of funds, but the stories seem to not change right. Compute as a constraint talent is a competitive marketplace and assuming that's where those those proceeds go.
Speaker 12: Yeah, absolutely, Look we're with inference right now. What we are seeing is there's a lot of demand for inserting intelligence everywhere we possibly can, because open source models are getting very good, right and post training techniques to specialize those models for specific tasks are getting very good. And as the app player comes online, you know, there's an enormous surge of demand for us. What that means is, look, when you're procure a lot of compute to be able to fulfill that demand and also hire amazing infrastructure engineers and research engineers to be able to build the software later on top of that too.
Speaker 3: Just real quick, what's that like trying to acquire that the compute? Like, do you have any leverage in that market? If everyone is supply constrained? How is the experience of being a company of base tends, age and size going to in video as an example, saying we kind of need this.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Look, we have a very strong relationship with the Video and you know, they've been very supportive of us over the years. Look, we one thing that we realize is that you cannot be reliant on one compute lost. You have to, you know, work to diversify, not necessarily from a chip perspective, from a cloud perspective. So you know, we acquire compute from eighteen different clouds. Now we sit in around nineteen different clusters, and that's the flexibility we need to be able to acquire compute and fulfill the demand.
Speaker 3: I posted on x that you're both coming on the show and poor I kind of put this quession out there that if you could only invest in one part of the five layer cake, as Jensen calls it, what would it be? But Altimus has been so busy, you know, with the frontier labs at one end and other parts of the five layer cake at the other end. What was the thesis around base ten and why you wanted to get in here to co lead the.
Speaker 2: Round ed It's good to be here.
Speaker 13: Some troops cannot be said enough times, and one of those is that Inference is going to be one of the largest, if not the largest markets not an AI in the world. And why is that the case? You know, the early innings of AI were Q and A tell me about my trip. We've come a long way since then. You know, it's multi agent they've gotten longer context. You go retrieve, analyze, synthesize, verifying, then you go again, and each request is kicking off hundreds, if not thousands of inference requests. The second thing is, you know I might correct something you said ed. It's not just it's capability control and cost frontier models. The open s post train open source model comes very close to frontier model performance, sometimes even better for specific workflows control. As satan Adilla said last weekend, you know, you've got to compound your unique advantages as an enterprise, your data, your knowledge or know how in a way that you're not giving away your intelligence to on rent. And that's what BASM allows. And so to your question from this morning is like where does value your crew? Is it at the app layer? Is it at the model air? You know, the way I like to frame it is, Look, the model air is a phenomenal business for very few people. It's a game of emperors. You've got to be at the frontier to accrue a lot of value. And it's it's a knife fight. As you know, I've started joking, there's four seasons to the year. It's anthropic open EI SpaceX Google with an evergreen of open source, and.
Speaker 3: So that's that part's so fascinating, right, if we could just go to open source. When this story started for us, let's say twenty two, but for you guys probably before that, it was this idea that it was only the model, the largest models with the hundreds of billions of parameters that mattered, and in the world of open source that the issue was that that just didn't work. People couldn't make any real use of them. I go back to what Paul just said. You know, you are making utility out of open source models, but probably also a slightly smaller scale of model.
Speaker 2: Is that fair? Yes?
Speaker 12: Look, I think if you look at you know, when you think about open source has kind of gone through a bit of a journey. You know, there's LAMA three, maybe two two and a half years ago, and then there was a bit of a winter, and then I think the deep Seek moment last year really put it back on the map, and there was definitely the capability gap shrunk. I think this is happening again just over the last couple of weeks with GLM five Print two, which is i'd say a frontier level model that is actually usable and it isn't just doing well on the benchmarks. When people we're using it, they are feeling that, you know, at the frontier capability. For us, it's just like, how do we make these models very very easy to use it? And it doesn't really matter what size they are that we work with small models, big models, massive models. What we are trying to give our customers the ability to run these models when they don't necessarily have access to the infrastructured teams of the frontier labs.
Speaker 2: Doing it for them.
Speaker 3: So let's go back to what we were talking about cost, but also giveability and capability. You know, the other case study in this open source debate was Meta kind of changing its narrative saying, well, actually, we are committed to open source, but we you know, at some point we need to be realistic about about the benefit of closed models. Is what is the point on the capability part and actually take a moment explain what base ten does, why it's why it is such an important player in that respect.
Speaker 13: Sure, look at yesterday it was Deepseek, today it's GLM.
Speaker 2: It'll be something tomorrow.
Speaker 13: And as I said, it's seasonal, and that battle at the model here is not we're nowhere near the endgame. What base tend does is it helps customers like cursor, like a bridge, like open evidence, harness the power of the model underneath, combine that with your unique advantage as an enterprise, your workflow, and deliver something that is best for that specific workflow.
Speaker 2: Now it's not just one model.
Speaker 13: It's typically a collection of portfolio of models that are fine tuned to deliver that and that compounds over time, and so based in is successful. As these models get better, it benefits us and ultimately in the service of the app layer, which is you know, the customers that we discussed, who are delivering AI to the customer.
Speaker 3: Jensen's been repeating a lot recently, just among the CEO of Nvidia. Sometimes you have to remind the audience testing case. You know, he wants to see his teams burning tokens. How does that apply to your custom is right? So pouls just explain really clearly the value that you're adding. But the economics are really really important to some of these companies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Look, I think.
Speaker 12: Using tokens is obviously just what's synonymous with, Hey, I want us to be using AI everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's in their interest for that to be the story right now.
Speaker 12: And I think for us, you know, what we see is that customers kind of go through the same curve over and over again. Is that, you know, they go very aggressively, they start using AI everywhere, they start to see gains, but they don't necessarily do it profitably, and then they need to figure out how to do it profitably, and that's when they come to open source models. That's when they come to Base ten. That's when they come to you know, post train models on Base ten to be able to do it better, faster and cheaper. And that's when you decide to get both you know, intelligence everywhere, but also unit economics that makes sense for your business.
Speaker 2: What I've been trying to reconcile is.
Speaker 3: Ultimita is invested in in the big frontier labs as well, and those big frontier labs plus S FACEX, depending on how you define what they are.
Speaker 2: Would also say that they have a role to play in that market.
Speaker 3: Where are we in this cycle of where they're just in the NBA, very big players.
Speaker 2: Where does Space ten fit in that? Look?
Speaker 13: A lot of ink has been spilled on this debate of open versus closed.
Speaker 2: Let me just take that head on.
Speaker 13: The closed models of Frontier models are very very good, and they're very good for the use case that require highest intelligenced, highest reasoning, new use case discovery. If you didn't want to think about just one model as a service, they're very good and they will always be very good.
Speaker 2: For that for a class of customers. That's not a long list.
Speaker 13: You know, as Jonathan Ross said, there's about thirty five companies that drive ninety nine percent of all inference. The top five are the labs that you just listed, top four, top.
Speaker 2: Five, the next thirty.
Speaker 13: You know, that's people like Cursor, like open Evidence, like a bridge, like Harvey, and for them, if you if you're not playing the game of the Emperors and you're you know, you're thinking about how do I deliver something that is not rented from somebody else but mine that I can compound with. That's where that's where post trained, open source can help. And so you know, we posted this start this morning about how you know, Harvey, for example, delivery achieved Frontier capabilities post training and open source model, but obviously with a much better cost and control. Frontier as an example of what the next thirty are thinking about. And then the next thousand were thinking.
Speaker 3: About two hinges for Vestava back on Bloomberg Tech, found a CEO based ten and Paul Varruaal of Ultimata. Back again on Bloomberg Tech. It's really great to have you here in person. Thank you very much. Indeed, coming up on the show, Amazon is pairing Prime Day with pizza delivery. We're going to talk about what's behind the e commerce giants, fast food pivot.
Speaker 2: Next, this is Bloomberg Tech.
Speaker 3: Today's big number, twenty six point three billion dollars. That's how much US consumers are expected to spend on Amazon and other retailers during the four day sale that we all know as Prime Day. That figure comes from Adobe. Amazon's facing headwinds though consumer confidence to competition for the e commence giant has a few tricks up its sleeve to encourage shoppers to spend, including pizza delivery, Bluebog'spenser Sofa here with the latest. Okay, we're getting ready for Prime Day. Adobe Analytics always puts out numbers like this. Put that twenty six point three billion into context for us. That's big, it's small, it's growth, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's big.
Speaker 14: I mean Adobe's predicting nine percent growth from the four day Prime Day period last year, which was July. You know, it's always tricky to compare Prime Day to the year earlier because the date moves around, and this is going to be the second year that they do a four day sale. But Adobe is predicting a nine percent lift, which is pretty size bull and a lot of that can be not you know, it's counterintuitive. Even though there's a lot of things weighing on consumers, sometimes that compels them to kind of save up money and hold off a big ticket purchase for a big deal, big deal period, which can which can raise spending.
Speaker 2: And Walmart and.
Speaker 14: Target both have overlapping sales, so there's going to be just a lot of a lot of deals going on those four days.
Speaker 3: Okay, the latest tech in depth, Amazon offers.
Speaker 2: Pizza in Prime Day experiment. Explain So this is the first year I've seen this.
Speaker 14: The Amazon's offering five dollars pizza from Little Caesars. So basically, if you go to the site, you'll see this pretty prominently a Little Caesar's emblem on the site. You can click over there to get to redeem a five five dollars pizza. And they're running that every day of Prime Day, even a couple of days before it, and it seems to be something to you know, get people to come to the site, you know, just another another sweetener to get people that come to the site and check out the deals. Because Amazon really doesn't have anything in hot food delivery. You know, they had an Amazon Restaurants thing years ago that they shuddered. They now have kind of a tie in with grub Hub. But you know, when you think about grocery and Amazon really is its eye on the grocery business. A lot of people couple grocery and dinner, you know, especially when it's hot in the summer, you don't get the kitchen hot. So this might be a way to just you know, get people to check out their deals and also cross something off the list that they got to get done done that night.
Speaker 3: Bloomberg'spenser Sopa with a look ahead to Prime Day. But go and read the Tech in depth that went out this morning as well, Thank you very much, before you go. Disney's Toy Story five has gone to infinity and beyond. On its opening weekend, Woody Buzz and their friends brought in one hundred and sixty million dollars in US box office sales, marking the best launch in that franchise's history, and lastly, the title of best twenty twenty six debut from the Super Mario Galaxy movie The Whole Was It. The low end of Bloomberg Intelligence is lofty expectations for the film and enthusiasm for blockbusters including Toy Story Spider Man The Odyssey is anticipated if you're a ten percent year over year growth rate and the best summer for cinemas since the pandemic. All right, that does it for this addition of Bloomberg Tech. From here in San Francisco, this is what markets look like. A little soft on than has that one hundred down a percentage point, half a percentage point, but still outperformance in semiconductors that socks up almost percent, a lot of that being the newsflow around micron and Anthropics deal. SpaceX down for a third straight session, but well above it's IPO price as it goes to the bomb market for the first time. Check out the pod. You know where to find it. This is Bloomberg Tech.