Speaker 1: And now moving my mic back, you're like that.
Speaker 2: You can strikes headquarters behind him, and.
Speaker 1: If you're just tuning in the civic cipher, I am your host, Ramsey's job. Big shout out to q Ward and Maggie b noan uh. Today we are doing something a little different. We have a special guest with us, doctor Camill Westenberg, and she is speaking to us on behalf of the NAACP Maricopa County branch, and we are discussing midterm elections. But we're also going to take some time to discuss voter suppression. We're going to figure out how to identify it, how it looks, how to fight back against it, all of those things. These are things that are very very important in our community. This is a long standing fight that if I'm honest, I was unaware of until way too late. And now that I'm aware of it, I can see it in more areas then I'm completely comfortable with. So stick around. We're definitely going to talk about that, but first and foremost, we are going to discuss Ba Ba Baba, how to become a better ally. Today's Baba is sponsored by Hip Hop Weekly magazine. You can find out more at hip hopwekly dot com for today's Baba. You can become a better ally once again by checking out NAACP dot org slash take dash action. There you can find petitions, fundraisers, handpaigns the like. If you want to get active, that's where you can go. If you're interested in protecting reproductive rights. If you want to pass the Equality Act, which prohibits discrimination based on sex, sexual orientation, and gender identity, and areas including public accommodations and facilities, education, federal funding, employment, housing credit, and the jury system, that's where you're going to find that information. You can support theaacp's position calling for President Biden to take executive action to cancel federal student loans at a minimum of fifty thousand dollars. Again, where you want to go is n DOUBLEACP dot org slash take h action. If you want uniform police reform, that's something that we talk about a lot on this show. If that's what you want, you can support that. Climate justice is another thing we mentioned on the show. It's very important, obviously, but you may not be doing it for yourself. You may not notice the effects in your life, but if you have children or if you plan on having children, or you plan on leaving the world a little bit nicer a place than you found it. Again, the NAACP has initiatives that are dealing with climate justice, and today we're going to be talking about combating voter suppression initiatives. So again you can find all this and more if you want to get active, if you want to become a better ally, visit NAACP dot org slash take dash action and do just that. Take action now. Voter suppression, Doctor Westerberg, this is another thing that you and I have talked about quite a bit. I'd say we've talked about it for on and off, maybe eight years now, because I became acutely aware of it from having conversations with you. This has always been a very big concern of yours. And now I'm noticing a very conservative facet of this country becoming more aggressive in their tactics. And I see them, rather than allowing it to look like what it is, which is absolutely voter suppression. There's a thin veneer of patriotism, this idea that they're protecting some sort of voting integrity, or there's this idea that they somehow are keeping everyone honest or something like that when the truth is there, just making it more difficult for the most where for the people where it's most that's already the most difficult for them to get out there and vote. So, how do we take this idea and turn it into real things like how do we identify voter suppression in it? Or how about this a better question, what do you see as voter suppression initiatives around the country?
Speaker 3: First, I would say that voter suppression from a generic perspective, it is anything that makes you feel uncomfortable, unwelcomed, in adequate, and are not qualified when you attempt to vote. That's the essence of what it is. And there are many strategies that have been used to suppress the vote, from restricting the use of are having people to serve water while you are in line to vote, the observation of pole workers and pole observers. Right now, we just had our brands just had two workshops equipping people to become voter pole workers and pole observers to make sure that all of the guidelines where it here too at the time of election. And what is happening is that people are being threatened and so you have a number of people who are not assuming those positions any longer, and there is the suspicion that there are going to be people on November eighth who will be around those locations that will make you feel as though your life is jeopardized or that you're doing something wrong, and so voter suppression is for real. I know during the last presidential election, even the postage system was interrupted as it relates to mailien ballots, the sorting systems were taken out, and there has been a limited number of drop off boxes where you can leave your ballot. The business of committing a ballot for someone else is problematic. You cannot do that any longer. For example, if you have your neighbors and you said, well, I'll take all of them and drop them in, you can't do that. That's against the law. They're just any number of things that can be used for voter suppression, looking at the ballot and how you respond on your ballot, looking at your signature as to whether it is correct or the date. Just recently, my goodness, in Florida, there were there were individuals arrested because of an infraction related to voting. Consequently, that is suppression because anyone who wants to vote now in this election is going to have a second thought and say, you know, am I really eligible to vote? And so they are just a number of ways in which voter suppression can take place.
Speaker 1: You know, it's sort of troubling when I'm listening to tell these stories because it reminds me of so much of what I've seen. One of the things that you mentioned was that a lot of the polling places were redistricted. I believe that's what happened. And what we noticed once upon a time is that polling places that typically served black and brown communities, primarily black communities in the South, the amount of polling places places diminished sometimes you know, by an order of magnitude, and or they were moved to you know, white parts of town right and the locations right right. And the result of that was that, well, you know, if black folks can't get up, get out, moved to the point and now they have to drive twice as far. You know. The idea behind that would be that it would lessen the impact of the black vote in those parts of the country and bolster you know, the white voat make it easier for white folks to vote and then of course they don't say that, but that's what it looks like. And you know, when we look back historically these sorts of tactics, this is the most creative group of people I've ever seen in my life. These people are I mean, I don't mean it as a compliment, but you know, brilliant in terms of how they can come up with spend you know, a story where they're it's the wildest thing. In fact, you know, I was reading something recently and it was basically rules that black people had to abide by to vote in certain states. And if you were if you were a land owner and you had a piece of land that was worth more than three hundred dollars, you could vote. If you if your grandfather didn't vote, then you couldn't vote, or something like that. If you had to pay a poll tax, if you were under a certain age, you know, all these things. And the idea was that you know, in theory would be like apply to everyone, but it would only apply to certain districts or certain parts of town. And they would say it's to provide additional polling places or whatever. But the fact is is that these were all voter suppression initiatives, and nowadays we see sort of the same tactics, just modern version of it. But the truth is, the end result is that black people vote less as a result of it. And there's another thing I wanted to mention while you were talking. You know, one of the things that I learned. You know, I'm from Los Angeles, That's where I was born, and then i grew up in Phoenix, Arizona. So I've lived in big cities my whole life. What happens is I think, well, you know, that can't be so bad. You know, voters, Okay, they put a couple of rules in place. It's fine, we'll get to it. But I think that your point when you mentioned, okay, there's a black neighborhood, there's one person that's going to drop off his or her ballot, and we'll just go around to the community and say, hey, I'm dropping off my ballot. If you guys want to give me your grow friends, give me your ballots, I'll take them all up there. You know, there are people who are live in rural parts of the country. There are people who are not as mobile, people who are dealing with health issues, people who have to go to work, work, you know, and they can't get the time off. You know, they're not in cities. Cities tend to be very liberal, very progressive. You know, these are rural folks and in the South and places that really matter for black people, in the black voice. You know, these little rules can have a profound impact on election outcomes, and so it's very important to know this. I learned it late, so I'm not mad at you listening. You're late to the party as well.
Speaker 3: It's called ballot harvesting. You can't do that. I mean, you just can't say, okay, you're working, I can't get there. Will you drop it all? You can't do it. You build out your ballot, you've signed it yourself. It's simply a matter of just going to the location and putting it in.
Speaker 1: Yeah so. So.
Speaker 3: And it's hours are changed too, that's the other the days of the hours oftentimes, and you know, who are the people that work the most, the longest, the hardest, you know, nine to five or longer to get to the polls can be very difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah so. And I think that that kind of brings me to my next point. I wanted to ask you how we would go about identifying a voter suppression initiative. But I think that you know, an example comes to mind, Soulds to the polls, Right, So you want to tell a little bit about souls to the polls.
Speaker 3: Well, that is a group of the divine nine that came together and decided that they were going to go and just collectively as a group make a thing out of it. You know, sometimes that's the best way that we can do it. So you have a cohort of individuals that are connected and they collectively go to the polls. It can be Sunday after church, it can be a group of fraternities and sororities as side that they're going to do it. But you have a common interest already, and so by going collectively, you're not intimidated by what you might find there. And one of the things that I that came across my desk actually from my sorority yesterday, and I wanted to share this. I thought it was just very very important for bullets to know your rights when going to the pole, and they are if you are in line when polls are scheduled to close, stay in line, you have a right to vote. So if you're already there and the polls are going to close at a certain time. As long as you are in line, don't get out. Stay there however long that line is. You have the right to vote. Make a mistake on your ballot, you should ask for a new one. Don't mark on it, just ask for another ballot. If the machines are down at your polling place, ask for a paper ballot. Don't just let it go okay, because they may go down in certain locations. Mind you don't make sure that you do vote. And if you're citizenship, criminal record, other qualifications are questioned, immediately call the Election Protection hotline, where trained volunteers are available to help. If you experience any issues, have any questions while you vote, the Election Protection Hotline is there to help you. You can call our text eight six six our Vote to speak with the trained election protection volunteer. So you don't just give up on that.
Speaker 1: Well said, So that's wonderful information to know. I appreciate you sharing it, and it actually makes me think about what we were talking about just a second ago in terms of the what does voter suppression look like? Right? So obviously those things you know look like that, but you know you were mentioning Souls to the polls. This was an initiative that took place in Georgia and as you mentioned, you know, Sunday black women mostly got together and went out and cast their vote together. It was just on Sundays. So what did the uh, the powers that be do in response to the Souls to the Polls initiative. They close polling places on Sundays, right, And so this is textbook, you know, voter suppression. It's like a way to combat It's such a strange like you would think that we would all want everyone's voice heard accounted for. You know, let's let's you know, let's put all the ideas in the pot and see what we end up with. But no, there is a not insignificant facet of this country that absolutely does not want you to vote because if you vote, they will be outnumbered, vastly outnumbered. In fact, the party would have would cease to exist. They would have to abandon all of their platforms to even continue as the party, they would have to move so far left.
Speaker 3: And you know, there is the loss of the concept of democracy absolutely, and it is to keep control. It is to keep control by a select population of the community.
Speaker 1: Is boils down to absolutely and so voting in midterms keeps a handful of people very powerful, and very comfortable and very wealthy, and it often enough keeps you exactly where you are. You know, if you think complaining about gas prices and food, you know, is bad, you know, just if you looked at the overall trajectory of this country in the past, let's say twenty years. I read something recently and it said in the past, you know, I'll just say twenty years. Maybe maybe it was thirty years, the average median income for the average American family was like write it around, like fifty thousand dollars or something like that. And it is still there. The average minimum wage is still exactly where it was. But the average or the wealthiest person in the country back when was you know, eighty billion dollars and now it's like two hundred and fifty billion dollars, right, And that's true of most all the one percent. So this money is not trickling down. You know. The standard of living is not increasing, it's not improving, minimum wage is not going up, and people that live normal lives are being robbed and left behind. And for folks to complain about gas prices without looking at that long that long view of it, you know, just sort of having a bit more perspective on things.
Speaker 3: It might be a lot of things that's going on in the world too, as to why the gas price is sure acted. And so you know, it isn't necessarily that it's the people who are in office right now. There are other factors and and and some of the people who are are advocates of voter suppression of the ones who are the hope what should I say? They are advocates for individuals who are causing the gas prices to grow up. And that's an international that is an international problem. They're not just local. So it's a big game that we're playing. It's a really big game. It's larger than even just what's happening within the United States because those the individuals that are making decisions are sometimes in cohoops with people of other countries who control our oil and our gas and our opportunities. So it's.
Speaker 1: Much larger. You know, you mentioned a larger puzzle. And there's another piece that we haven't really touched on, and we just have a couple minutes left, but in brief explain for our listeners. What jerrymandering is.
Speaker 3: Jerry Mandering really takes place after the senses has occurred, and the census is where you have people coming and knock on your door and they want to find out how many people, the ages, ethnicity, etc. Once you get all of that data, then you begin looking at it and deciding where you want to draw lines so that you have districts electoral districts within each community. And the individuals who are making those decisions sometimes will draw lines so that they disenfranchise certain segments of the population. For example, you may have a community where there's a historically black college, and they'll split that historically black college in half to dilute the strength that you would have coming out of that particular community. So it's really a matter of controlling the voting power of select communities and making sure that the voting power is design in structured in a fashion that will work well for you and your policies.
Speaker 1: Right. So again, jerrymandering is another piece of a puzzle that many people don't know or feel in their day to day lives. But you know, voting in midterm elections, you get to choose the decision makers, right, and if you choose the people who make good decisions, then they won't seek to, you know, weaken your vote by splitting your district so that you put a little of them over here, a little of them over there, and then they won't have enough of a voice any other district to really make any impact. Right, and so Jerry mannering is another thing to be on the lookout for. But the point here is that there are many ways that voting power could be weakened. There's so much at stake if our communities' votes continue to be disenfranchised. So far, we've been able to fight back a good fight, but as you mentioned this time around, there are people coming after our vote full strength. They have every type of voter suppression initiatives. Are some creative folks, And if you want to fight back, I will let you know once again NAACP dot org. You can donate, you can organize, You can not just sit around and wait for it to happen. And you need to do that in addition to casting your vote and getting everybody you know to do the same thing. Put it on social media. I'm going to vote. Are you anyway that you can get folks to those polls? Do it and again. Go to NAACP dot org to find out how you can help spread the word. Moving on, It's time for the Way Black History Fact. Today's Way Black History Fact is sponsored by the Black Information Network Daily Podcast. Check out more at vinnews dot com stories and interviews that are curtinent to black culture, and that show, of course, is hosted by Yours Truly Rams's Job. Today's Way Black History Fact. We're going to be talking about the origins of the NAACP, so we'll start at the beginning. In nineteen o eight, a deadly race riot rock the city of Springfield. Eruptions of anti black violence, particularly lynching, were horrifically commonplace, but the Springfield riot was the final tipping point that led to the creation of the NAACP. Appalled at this rampant violence, a group of white liberals that included Mary White Ovington and Oswald Garrison, both the descendants of famous abolitionists William English Whaling, and doctor Henry Muskowitz, issued a call for a meeting to discuss racial justice. Some sixty people, seven of whom were African American, including W. E. B. Dubois I, to B. Wells Barnett, and Mary Church Terrell signed the call, which was released on the centennial of Lincoln's birth. Echoing the focus of dubois Niagara movement for civil rights, which began in nineteen oh five, the NAACP aimed to secure for all people the rights guaranteed in the thirteenth, fourteenth, and fifteenth Amendments to the United States Constitution, which promised an end to slavery, provide equal protection under the law, and the right for all men to vote respectively. Accordingly, the NAACP's mission is to ensure the political educational equality of minority group citizens of states and eliminate race prejudice. The NAACP works to remove all barriers of racial discrimination through the democratic process. The national office was established in New York City in nineteen ten, as well as a board of directors and President Moorefield Story, a white constitutional lawyer and former president of the American Bar Association. Despite a foundational commitment to multi racial membership, Dubois was the only African American among the organization's original executives. He was made director of Publications and Research, and in nineteen ten established The Crisis, The acclaimed publication of the NAACP by nineteen thirteen. With a strong emphasis on local organizing, the NAACP had established branch offices in such cities as Boston, Massachusetts, Baltimore, Maryland, Kansas City, Missouri, Saint Louis, Missouri, Washington, d C. And Detroit, Michigan. NAACP membership grew rapidly from around nine thousand, nineteen seventeen to around ninety thousand and nineteen nineteen, with more than three hundred local branches. And we'll skip forward here. While much of the NAACP's history is chronicled in books, articles, pamphlets, and magazines, the true movement lies in the faces of the multiracial, multi generational army of ordinary people who united to awaken the consciousness of the people. And a nation with such a powerful membership base, all twenty two hundred chapters of the association continued to persevere. And that is the origin story of the NAACP. It's an organization that responded to kind of what was going on, race, riots, lynchings, that sort of stuff, you know, very black stuff. But it also stood to make sure that everybody was treated equally as well. And this is something that I feel is kind of important. We do this on Civic Sipher. We recognize that having a platform like this, having a show like this, you know, in spaces where hip hop music is consumed, where you know, it's a popular facet of the culture that we can tell our black stories. But you know, at a time when our Asian American and Pacific Islander brothers and sisters were feeling, you know, very traumatized and very attacked, you know, they may not have the same sort of outlet, the same sort of infrastructure or strength in terms of like a space like this, and so you know, we obviously would share our space with our brothers and sisters in need.
Speaker 3: It's an old organization. Oh yeah, it's there for young people. I must let young people eighteen through thirty no, that we welcome them, that we need them. That many of us have been foot soldiers out there and continue to be foot soldiers, but we need to come together and use their efforts and their energy and creativity and know how to accomplish the goals to save our democracy.
Speaker 1: We want you. And before we move on, we got about maybe thirty seconds or so, but briefly tell us about Circle to the Cipher, where we got our name.
Speaker 3: Tell yeah, Circle to the Cipher actually began. As I had mentioned, I created a rap literature, the first hip hop class in the state of Arizona in that genre, and along the way, I really realized that there needed to be dialogue between individuals and finding that taking place in a number of ways, but I really based it off of hip hop culture with Africa, with the people in villages coming together in a circle to talk with each other about the needs of their village and the community. And then when you get into the hood and you have a cipher where you have your dj coming together, and in Africa you have your drummer pulling the people. When they hear the drum, they as symbol. When you're in the city and the hood, you hear the dja, you hear the people begin to as symbol. And then you have your rappers who are the voice. They are the greats of the commusic community. They tell the story and the history of the community and the needs of the community. And so Circle to the CSIPHA embraces that concept of history of how we come together from Africa to a symbol to dialogue with each other and in hip hop culture as well. And the thought is that we will take your more seasoned elders such as I and young people who are rappers, are graph artists, be boys and be girls, or you're a spoken word artist, and come together and dialogue with each other about the issues of today and to work collectively together and to allow them to do it in their voice. I can't spit. But there are some people that I know out there who can take the message and deliver it in a way that I never could, and they can deliver it to a population that I never could. And so that's what the Circle to the Cipher is about.
Speaker 1: All right? Well, before we let you go, how can folks learn more about from the Circle to the Cipher? Well, you know.
Speaker 3: What, I actually believe it or not, I will be putting up a website. You can email me both first and foremost. Right now it is c A H W E S T E N B at aol dot com. But if you look me up from now on you will be getting my website because my girl Leah missus Marche has hooked me up and has put some things together that will allow me to sort of go at this seventy five years where I want to go with that concept, because we need each other and so yeah, that's the way you can connect with all right.
Speaker 1: Well, once again, thank you so much for coming on the show to discuss these important issues. Doctor Camilla Westenberg is always it's a pleasure that's going to do it for us. Who is an excipher? I am your host, Ramsay's jock. Shout out to Q word. Our pussum is the aka Maggie be knowing website Civic tacer dot com for more information and until next week, y'all keep rock.
Speaker 2: Like yo, we hand the lab. These brothers are fabulous. Our lady showing you where Ron traveled this world speak tones from sunlight to move, busting on stage like gonna fight, suppose roll my mic back it like that journalists with journalists too, we can strike back hard horb borders with orders from head borders behind m them line side stepping.
Speaker 1: The borders with press passes. We bring it to you as it habits the streets.
Speaker 2: Love mocked on from music and wrapping the street compland the slash week expander. You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 1: What's happening, it's hot.
Speaker 2: You've got a question to ask if Deduce is just a TV show you're passing, and this from a quiet wartime journalists headlines, wake up pregadis and resist like this like what like this, like