Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on. These are our stories. Done done Yay, that's messed up an SVU podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm Leeza Trigger and I'm Kara Klank. We're doing SVU recapping. We're doing true crimes. Sometimes we're doing a guest but we're chatting right now. Happy Thanksgiving Week to all who celebrate. Very thankful for all of you listeners, all of you tommies.
Speaker 1: Are we into it? Are we tommies? Are we tommies? Listen?
Speaker 2: I bought stuffing flavoredcorn from Trader Joe's.
Speaker 3: I just saw it today. I literally laid eyes on it forty five minutes ago.
Speaker 2: I left the whole bag at the airport.
Speaker 1: It was good.
Speaker 3: No, I left the bag. Oh, I thought, I hate the whole bag. I left the bag. I oh it was bad. Yeah, I hated it.
Speaker 2: But you know, it's hard not to like try something so goofy they and if the food scientists I do.
Speaker 1: I do want to give a heads up to everyone.
Speaker 2: I did have a little Manhattan Monday out of the Blue. I had seven Manhattans last night. I would say what the didn't even mean to didn't even mean too truly, was thinking, I'm like, I'm just gonna do my spot and leave. Like I was really tired. I was like, I just need to do my spot and leave. And my spot's not until twelve forty. But like there was a drop but whatever, I was later and so then I was left at the table with someone I hate.
Speaker 1: So I was like, oh, take a Manhattan.
Speaker 2: And then I got a drowned them out. I like, can't deal with this. And then I was like, well, let's just have two and to get a buzz on. And then I get and I obviously so I argued with a man hardcore last night. Fucking fought this at like I slammed the sign in front of his face and I'm like, get the fuck out of this table.
Speaker 1: It's for comics.
Speaker 2: And he goes, I'll get You'll get kicked out of here before me. I go, what, Like, are you out of your mind? He's like the owner's best friend. I go, are you fucking out of your mind? I go He's like, you're trying to kick me out. I go no, But you can't be on this table if you're gonna be disrespectful. I already told you twice not to fucking speak to me like that. And if you want to sit at this table, you're gonna be polite or you get the fuck out of here because you're not a comic.
Speaker 1: Well guess who he is.
Speaker 2: So I'm fighting and I'm now like eight man, like I'm having the time. But then all of this, all of the servers, all the bartenders, I get messages from one going I fucking hate him, get him? You ate that shit up. People are I'm going downstairs. Servers are hugging me and high fiving me. Go people they're like, we hate him. They go thank you so much, like everyone can't because they hate him because he's a bad person. But I don't know who he is, but I obviously know he's smart, like he has a he knows a lot, So I go bro for someone that knows a lot. Your energy should be teaching, not condescending. You being shocked. People don't know shit, like I'm always open to like figuring stuff out, But you're condescending and crazy.
Speaker 1: Stop calling me ridiculous. He said it was naive.
Speaker 2: I was like whatever, he testified against reparations. He has a black man who testified in Congress against reparations. That's why I was fighting. So so I'm fighting, no idea who this motherfucker is. And then the manager texts me this and I start cackling. I start cat I could like at three am. She sends it to me. It was a late night. So I'm now like, this makes so much sense. This guy is fucking crazy, but he just was. So he was a twerp. He was a twarp and he's friends with the owner, and he thought he could swing his dick. And so I finally stood up and I was like, you're only acting like this because you're friends with the owner. I go, you would never have these fucking balls outside of here. I'm like, you fucked with the wrong Like I went off, but I'm so hungover today. I definitely puked. I barely made it outside. I I'm like hanging on by a thread for sure.
Speaker 1: Like I bought electro lit it's terrible. I should have. Yeah, I get that pedia light.
Speaker 2: Yeah I didn't think it was that bad, Like I didn't think it was gonna taste bad. I just love raid, and I kind of am like disappointed, but whatever.
Speaker 3: Yeah, people say pedia light is the real flow of Electrolyte said it's really bad, Like I don't think it tastes good.
Speaker 1: But people like the pops, the frozen pops. Those are supposed to be good too, frozen.
Speaker 3: Wow, I can't believe you just got Manhattan up and went I'm.
Speaker 2: Gonna call it Manhattan Monday. But then happen Monday. But then like the bartenders are just making me drinks because everyone was so happy. I yelled at this guy that they've hated because obviously he tips back like he's bad, Like he's bad juju. And it reminds me of a situation. It reminds me of Real Housewives of New York. It's very Ramona Codd where it's like I'm gonna find a person that agrees with me that I'm going to show off, like this is my black friend who has the same views as me, so look at that and parading him around, but like I don't know, obviously he's he is very he knows a lot.
Speaker 1: Well, I just come up.
Speaker 2: Oh, but then I brought up obviously my castration because then I was like being crazy, right, and I go listen. I think for the safety of humanity, men should not be let out of the home without an escort. I go, men should be chemically castrated.
Speaker 1: I go.
Speaker 2: At the end of the day, ninety plus percent of violent crimes are about you guys. So like, if we're talking logic, you should all be castrated out of here first offense.
Speaker 1: And he was like, well, blah blah blah. I go, no, it's what I believe.
Speaker 2: Motherfucker.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to tell you. I don't care. He's like, what if I told you?
Speaker 2: I go, Obviously there's racial implications, false accusation. Like I'm like, there's a lot of stuff, but I think it's worth it to keep people safe. I'm okay sacrificing a few, you know, but whatever, I was acting crazy at this point. Well, I looked at guy up and he's also a hobbyist rapper. No it says it says hobbyist rapper. So well, yeah, everyone's like he's such a talented musician. I go, he's a swarp. He's a swarp. Don't talk to me. I fucking talk to me, motherfucker. I'm it's Manhattan Monday. I will come at you. But I want to have a nice night. It was it was actually it was Chay and his assistant Keana, and they're like a good hand. So I was like, it's gonna be a peaceful night. I'll have a couple, get a little buzz. I'm like standing over this man like, oh my god, I got the reparation news. I like could because I brought it up. I basically was saying, the South never paid. I go, the South was never punished for the war, Like they were never punished. And he was like, you're ridiculous. You're an idiot. Like he was, just like, you're an idiot. They burned down Atlanta. I go, at the end of the day, these fuckers got to keep their money, and all the people that were enslaved should have gotten the money. All those people should have been robbed, taken everything. The fact there's old money that goes back to like slave owning people is disgusting. I go, all of that money should be takeing. They should have been punished. And he kept saying that I was stupid and crazy for that, and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I bet he's gonna think twice about sitting at that comic table.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but people were like, I can't believe you did that. I go listen. I wasn't planning on doing it.
Speaker 1: Do you think the owner's gonna be mad at you?
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm gonna the next time I see him, I'm gonna go, your friend is terrible.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I go.
Speaker 2: Your friend is out of line where comics were at fucking work, and I'm not gonna be talked to in a way that I don't like at my table. I'm gonna tell him to go talk to his friend. No, he come get your boy. He doesn't like, he doesn't get like I don't have to use anyone to get where I am. Yeh, I this is my job and I've been here for close to eleven years now, So motherfucker you think I don't have to play games. Yeah? So you trying to act like you're gonna get me kicked out here because you get comped because you know the owner. I will talk to him. I like, this is my fucking job. Like I don't know. I feel like I am a chill, calm girl, but I do get riled obviously. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And seven plus Manhattans does not help at all. That doesn't, it doesn't. That'sn't really a ball. You know, it doesn't really soothe anything for anybody. I would say, unless it's gonna put you out, like seven Manhattans would put me in a coma, like I would.
Speaker 2: Be in another Manhattan Monday. No, I've been drinking too much. I also, I'm gonna say one more long thing and then I'll shut up and you'll fill me in on everything that you have to say. You know, it was Tricksy and Katia a few weeks before I fell into another YouTube hole. I've watched like probably fifty episodes of this thing.
Speaker 1: It's called lad Bible, which sounds douchey, but yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a series called Minutes with and it's basically like straight up face interviews of people that just harrowing stories. So I survived the Chinese mafia, I was human trafficked, I escaped Ted Bundy. And then it's also like crime scene cleaner, and it's not the crime scene like CSU. It's like, after all the evidence is taken, she goes in and cleans the mess so the families can go back, and so talking to her was wild. Then it's like a lot of detectives and my favorite Criminologists was part of it.
Speaker 1: So one of them escaped, the Yorkshire Ripper.
Speaker 2: She was clubbed by him and like someone came on the street and like the cops wouldn't help her and didn't give a fuck, and she talks about it. And then the also someone that lived with Fred and Rose West remember that they were like the couple that like, yeah, the daughter she lived in that apartment and was like she told them day of like I'm out of here. She goes, I knew if I told him earlier, I'd get killed. And then her friend got killed was one of the people. She's like, I wish I helped my friend. But she was like a teenager. She was only sixteen. I was a hit man for the cartel. It's a guy who was working at Rikers and he really he's like all integrity and he got fucking wrapped up and started selling drugs.
Speaker 1: But it was all a set up.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, job.
Speaker 1: But it's like an incredible series.
Speaker 2: Oh I didn't I knew about Cambodia, like in uh theory, but like a woman who survived the Cambodian like the takeover in the seventies, like the kad Yes, it.
Speaker 1: Was fucked up.
Speaker 2: The things she was saying, I mean it's fuck, it's really fucked up stuff. Oh, I survived ninety three days with Somali pirates. I mean I was like really in like a hole of I think I saw the one of jentlem as Cavage. There's Cavage's daughter. Yeah, no, I think it was nice. It's her other niece niece. But you know how everyone thinks the wife is murdered. She goes, no, she did something wrong. Like I could see her just being like put to work in servitude in private, and that's not something that's like not nore, like that's not rare for scientific like drowned upon it all.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, oh, kind of crazy.
Speaker 2: But I've really enjoyed them. And it's people who nine years. This cocaine smuggler who's really fucking cool, but he served nine years in a prison in Ecuador. But the trauma these I don't know, it's fucked. And all of them had bad parents. At the end of the day, they all had bad parents. Like the hitman. He watched his dad rapist sister and shot his dad, and the dad served twenty three years, but he went to juvie, became a full boone criminal and then killed over seventy people for the cartel. One of them is Ted Bundy. Tried to kill me. Yeah, I watched that one. Fuck she was in the sorority house and he kills or the other sisters. One escaped the Mumbai terrorist attacks, like in the hotel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people like.
Speaker 2: I'm usually pretty grateful for life, but it definitely makes you uh, oh I survived an honor killing. Wow, Like if you.
Speaker 1: Guys want you guys want to feel extra grateful.
Speaker 3: This Thanksgiving such a good series to check out that you've never been on a boat with Somali pirates.
Speaker 1: Geez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my wild the like human capacity to start. Oh, but a lot of it is like like people that work within organizations that stop human trafficking and they talk about tracking these people as well. But I watched one and it was a guy who he helps people get off death row and he's had over like four hundred clients. He's got four hundred people off death row, but six have been killed and he goes to their executions and it was really fucked up, but he went to and then multiple of the people that were murdered by the state were found innocent later, Like you know, just like how many innocent people, and we're anti death penalty. And I and while I was fighting this guy, I did say, I'm like, things are complicated. I go because I'm against the death penalty, but I am for chemical castration. I go.
Speaker 1: Life's wild. I don't know.
Speaker 2: But he went to Abu Grabe and he said he got like ninety percent of the people out of there because none of them are terrorists. There was like a kid like the translations were off, Like he truly went there and got like ninety percent of the people out.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, but it was not real.
Speaker 2: He goes, we overestimate their accuracy, like these people suck. And the horrible story was like they hated this one person they were putting to death, so they didn't shave him right, so he caught on fire in the electric chair. Oh my god, it's not that fucked up. Ough, But this guy was smart and cool. But he said the innocent clients are more annoying, and they make mistakes because like a guilty person wants to get off, but an innocent person in their mind, they're like, well I can't be convicted. I didn't do it, So they make stupid mistakes and choices with arrogance of being innocent and then they get convicted and they can't even believe it. So I didn't I thought about that. Yeah, that's crazy. The other horrifying thing, the Cambodia story, the like, what are the guys, what are the bad guys names? The Khmer Rouge. Yeah, they would say. They're saying, was like, we gain nothing from killing you, and we gain nothing from keeping you alive. We're Nihilis Slabowski. We believe in nothing. Sickos. That's so sick sickos. Like, yeah, my god, your life just changes in a day staying alive. I mean, I don't know why. I was like, I don't know why I watched. But then there's light ones that are like, I manage a brothel. I love it, So that's good. There's like a sixty plus year old woman who's dominatrix and that was like fun and she you know her like slave dore for that day.
Speaker 3: And uh okay wait, so speaking of speaking of sex work, So I don't know if you've seen this guy who's like a democrat and he's running for something in Texas. His name's James Tallerico. I believe Okay, let me just you've probably seen him because he's like very young and he looks like a Bible boy with his hair, but he is like a progressive Christian, like he is running for he's running like on like progressive values. But he's also like you're all misreading the Bible. I so, you know, I get my axios, like every day, I get like this email that has like ten items, and they're supposed to be pretty middle of the road. In fact, sometimes I'm like, stop sucking the Republicans dick so much, like they're really like down the middle. They send this thing out over the weekend with one of the items was that big news alert James Tallerico, who's like, who's a state a Texas state representative who I.
Speaker 1: Believe is running for Senate.
Speaker 3: There follows a few people on only fans on Instagram who are OnlyFans models follows them and that's it. There's no proof that he patronizes any accounts. He follows like one hundred that people, and a few of them happened to be porn actors and only fans people.
Speaker 1: And I wrote back.
Speaker 3: And I was like, is this fucking news? Like I mean, I didn't swear, but I was like, is this news that a political like a politician follows sex workers?
Speaker 1: Like what are you? Why are you making this a big deal? Like and then I couldn't.
Speaker 3: You could barely find anybody talking about it on Twitter or anything, but a few people like what a what a shot in the fucking dark that he's not allowed to follow OnlyFans models. That's the scandal. We're really trying too hard now when there's fucking pedophiles. I mean, what the Democrat did? Fuck the motherfucker Dick Durbin will not answer the phone.
Speaker 2: That's my Illinois guy, call fuck yourself were I'm disgusting, disgusted, It's disgusting, fucking spineless, gross motherfuckers. We are facing full authoritative fascism, Like what are we talking about?
Speaker 3: My health assurance is going up already, and it's already exorbitant, and it's going up almost four hundred dollars, and I'm just like, and I know that that's like, that's nothing compared to what's happening to some other people. So other people are going from like four hundred to three thousand, like so I can't even So I'm like considering myself lucky that the government wants a quarter of my earnings to pay They want.
Speaker 1: A quarter of what I make to have health insurance. It's so gross.
Speaker 3: This place is hell yeah and hot off the victory like of course, like we have this great Tuesday of all these good.
Speaker 1: Weights off with their heads. That's how I wait their heads.
Speaker 2: I also realized that the poker night was a Manhattan night too, and maybe I should revisit what I'm doing with.
Speaker 1: My free time.
Speaker 3: Manhattans are like, yeah, you're tequila or something.
Speaker 1: They're like they're doing something to you. It's just so good. I want to shout out.
Speaker 3: Our Lois Louise Louis Lewis shirt that we have up in the Mert shop. You can go to you can go to the exactly right website, but you can also go to that's messed Up Live dot com that has our shop link if you want to get the TMU Tommy in your Life a little.
Speaker 1: Gift for Christmas.
Speaker 3: We also have our little Christmas ornament up there for your tree.
Speaker 2: I'm wearing r That's Messed Up Purple sweatcher right now, which I'm gonna wear on Friday because it's Ruby Bridge's Walk to school where we celebrate the first little girl to go to an all white school and defy segregation laws.
Speaker 1: And she's a fucking civil rights hero. And I'm gonna wear my purple TMU sweatshirt.
Speaker 2: And I don't think she's even say no.
Speaker 3: She's like no, she's fully alive and kicking Ruby Bridge. Yeah, alive and kicking. It's so fucked. But yeah, we live in a post racist society. What are you talking about? A live Literally, she's on Instagram. Okay, should we get going today's episode? Happy Thanksgiving, gobble gobble to everybody. I hope you guys are all stocking up on edibles or whatever you need to get through some possibly tough conversations with your family this season.
Speaker 1: I'm staying away from them.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna be here in LA. But let's get to today's episode. A true classic, I think I think this episode coming up is a true classic.
Speaker 1: It's also like unhinged.
Speaker 2: I would say it's an unhinged, completely off the rails. We are doing the episode blast Perfect Name season seven, Name One Word, Give It to Us, Episode twelve, two thousand and six, and it's a fun day at the end of school. Two girls are talking about boogers, you know, and then the crossing guard goes gross. I still remember my childhood crossing guard's name, Like I loved my crossing guard Pat.
Speaker 1: That's amazing.
Speaker 3: I didn't have a crossing guard, but we had a janitor with who was missing a thumb named Lou, and he was like my favorite person in the world.
Speaker 2: Like we were all obsessed with Lou.
Speaker 3: Like if you were walking the hallways like feeling upset, Lou would be like, what's going on and like talk to you. It was truly like a from a TV show, like a character that you're like, really the janitor's.
Speaker 1: Best friends with all the kids.
Speaker 2: Yes, I know, I gotta I gotta start watching Abba again.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 2: I like saw clips today on my phone and I went, wait, I love the show.
Speaker 1: I ran out of the show.
Speaker 3: I just I got to the point where there were like twenty five, like forty episodes on my DVR, and I got too overwhelmed and I deleted all of them because I was like, I mean, I can just go screaming stream at any time, but I'm not.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: It's such a great show.
Speaker 2: I love the kids.
Speaker 1: I got these kids.
Speaker 2: So yeah, it's a girl, a burnette with a hat and then a blonde, a blonde with a headband and a pink coat. So there's a puppy and the hat girl follows the puppy. The blonde like, I'm not gonna go follow the puppy, and then the music gets really dramatic. The girl's like opening this crazy door in an alley to try to find the dog. But then we hear the blonde girls scream, I mean the writing on this show like, I yeah, it so. And this girl is giving Elle and Dakota Fanning all at once, like it is kind of a bootleg version of you know, maybe she's a younger Fanning. And so the Hat runs back and Pink like trying to help her friend even and pink jacket dragged into a van. She's she's screaming, help help. The crossing guard runs, you know, she can't. She's not catching the van, not fast enough. The blue van is gone, the girl is gone, and now Hat is talking to Benson giving the scoop. The crossing guard is a Stabler and the girl's Carly Hunter and she's eight years old and Stabler judge immediately the parents let them walk home alone, and it cuts to the Hat girl answering the same question, but to Benson, Oh, they only live a block away, and so yeah, when do you think you're gonna let your kids welcome?
Speaker 3: That's a really great question because we only live a few blocks from their school, so I would let them go together. And if they were in a little group, like I don't know, because it's like like there's no problems.
Speaker 1: I feel like my neighborhood is safe.
Speaker 3: But it's just like the day that someone decides to pull up and be like get in.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: That's the scary part, you know, Like yeah, and then it's scary because we've also covered the case and like the episodes where it's like the first time they ever do it, and then that's when they're kidnapped.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I know that they could get there.
Speaker 3: It's literally they take a left and go straight like it's not you know.
Speaker 2: But it's such a cultural thing because there's a whole like isn't there a whole TV show in Japan where they just send kids to do errands and they're tiny and they have to buy themselves. Yeah, yeah, and they do and it's like sweet and I'm like, yeah, everything's so different, and then there's a Nordic country where they leave strollers outside for babies to nap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone's okay with it.
Speaker 2: It's just like we also live in this nightmare and it's not like there's they're not snatching people in these places. Pedophiles are everywhere. But it's yeah, just like more trusted. I don't know, I don't know what it is. But we had the milk carton stuff of it all, and our president's a human trafficker, So like when the human traffickers are in charge and we have such a large place, I mean, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean some people, like I have a friend who let their kids, like a fourth grader and a first grader walk to the donut shop like on the corner.
Speaker 2: She was tracking them on her iPhone the entire time.
Speaker 3: But like, if they walk to school every morning, how do I even know if they don't make it there until I get a voicemail, you know, like two hours later, and then what I'm checking for the track or like, I don't know. It's like I got to figure it out. I got to figure when everybody is doing that.
Speaker 2: But well, hopefully they never ask and you never have to let them, like I don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean we walk them right now, and it's like so fucking cute.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like it's like Sesame Street in the morning and we're like good morning, like to all the neighbors, like we're past, say, we've had the same ladies every morning and we're like good morning, you know, Like it's really there's like always these two older moms, older grandma's like out gossiping together in Spanish.
Speaker 1: We're always like hi, like you know.
Speaker 2: It's cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: In the West Village, like there's Ben's pizza, Like we always say hi to each other now and it just feels cool to be like, what up to the pizza guy. Yes, I don't know. It's wild. And then there's a lot of people on the streets in the West Village and they're part of the community as well, so like Tony hoods, who you Golf's milk cart and things like we acknowledge each other every time we see each other.
Speaker 3: And forget after I left New York, they saw my sister at my bodega and they're like, where's your sister?
Speaker 1: And I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 2: Guys. Anyways, so they only live a block away the crossing guard reiterates that, and then the mom comes running with Craigan and blames the crossing guard. Immediately, you were right there. Why didn't you stop it?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Why don't you pick up your kid from school? I mean, how far back do we want to go with the blame game?
Speaker 3: Bit?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Cregan takes her away like it's no one's fault. Then they get a recent photo of the girl. Ambroler is put out on the car and they ask where the dad is and he manages a Manhattan Liberty bank.
Speaker 1: Finn runs in.
Speaker 2: The van has been found three blocks away, and they heard someone inside the cars where the detectives run.
Speaker 1: We're all there.
Speaker 2: A man screams, don't shoot, don't shoot. He begs not to be killed. He is homeless and he just wanted to get warm, and he doesn't know any girl. Then we see a puddle of blood. The mom runs up, is that blood? What do they do to my baby? And it's a close up on the blood, then a close up of Stabler looking at the blood, and then credits. Stabler is getting missus Hunter out of the car and being like, stay strong, stay positive, and she goes look like a lot of blood and he's like, it might not even be your daughters, and it's like, yeah, sure, there was a butcher shop in there. They enter the building of her home and her husband is there, Jay Hunter, and he's played by a man named Tom Verica, and he's the foot doctor in Seinfeld that Alane dates. So if you're like, yeah, he looks familiar, he's in the Seinfeld.
Speaker 3: And I sink I looked up Tom Verica and he doesn't act anymore. But he is a producer on Bridgerton. Fuck yeah, bro, yeah get that. So yeah, he's a multi hyphen it they call him. And he's an executive producer on Bridgerton. I think, yeah, he was like a regular on How To Get Away with Murder and maybe the pandemic freaked him out. But he just beas like an ep on on a Bridgerton and doesn't act anymore, at least not in the last five years.
Speaker 1: I never watched that, but maybe I should.
Speaker 2: But also that man like fumble his bag so hugely, or maybe he's working, but you know the guy who left up for the first season, he's like, I'm gonna do other stuff and then never really to be seen again. Yeah, and I don't get that right.
Speaker 3: On page Yeah. I think it's like he hosted SNL and was like, I'm big, bye.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Shonda Rymes is pretty big too. So they go to talk to Carly's dad. Munch takes the mom up to the apartment and the chat so Jake and Stabler the van was stolen last night and they're looking for forensic evidence to give some clues. The dad asks if he is a pedophile, and he's stressed about this, and Stabler is like, don't let those images get into your head. And then but I mean, if a van snatches a kid, we're assuming peedo. Also being in London, like the way they say pedo file is so much more funny. It's so much sillier and they say urinal and I'm like, you guys are just so whimsical.
Speaker 1: He's such a pedo.
Speaker 2: Craigan comes in and wants a word with Stabler, so the dad goes to meet his wife upstairs, and then a parole guy thinks one of his people who is a pedo, was seen outside of Carly's school. Let's pick him up. So they go pick up Joel mad and the parole guy is the best. His name is Joe Lacy and he's played the parole this Pearl Die Log. The parole Guy's name is Craig Lennon. He's in three episodes as this guy and then in a season one episode Hysteria as someone else. But I always love when I see him, and I love how down he is to work with, fit and just. He's just down to fuck up some paroles, which we're against. We want rehabilitation and people to enter society. But in SVU love this guy. So they're swishing fast down the hall. And this dude was found guilty of molesting his two nieces and the girl next door. He did nine years at sing sing so Joel Mayner Knock, knock, knock, so Yella's name. They go like open the door, nowse and then they hear someone's in there, so they kick down the door.
Speaker 1: Fuck yeah.
Speaker 2: And he's going on the fire escape, going up the stairs, big patio, outdoor, terrace, vibes in this building, giant chase.
Speaker 1: He's cornered. It's a long way down. What will he do?
Speaker 2: So he jumps, He hangs off for a moment of the building across, but then he falls into the attraction. He is dead, so we but he's a pedophile, Like, I don't care, you know what I mean, Like, nine years isn't enough.
Speaker 1: You molested three girls, two that were your nieces.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nine years, honey. I'm glad you're dad. I don't give a fuck, but I'm against the death penalty.
Speaker 3: But if it happens because you think you can jump from building to building, I'm really not gonna like cry over it, you know, like I know, okay, think you're Spider Man and you're not. But so like bye bye pit paedophile by p do.
Speaker 2: So now we get to search the pedos house though, and yeah, pedo pedo, what do you guys prefer?
Speaker 1: Link in the comments below? JK, we have no links.
Speaker 2: Hopefully, hopefully there's a clue to Carly. Here we find a laptop and it's a lot of photos of young girls, but none of them are Carly. There's a password protected journal. But Joel de la Fuente aka Taru aka Ruby Morales, he's he's quick. He gets in there and this guy was like pining over some child. It's dated today. Stabler goes, I really don't think it's this guy, and then we get news from Warner that the only blood they found in the van was Carly's and no one else is, so like, I don't know if this guy's the purple or not. But we found out because of the type of blood. This is from Warner that it was a nosebleed, not an injury. But that's not good news or good news. But we find out that this curl has leukemia.
Speaker 3: But also it's like a puddle of blood on the bottom of this van.
Speaker 1: I've never seen a nosebleed.
Speaker 2: Gosh like that.
Speaker 3: But okay, you're so much fucking blood on the thing. I was like, okay, but yes, we needed to get to this blood because we have.
Speaker 2: The bad news. No, you're so right, lol, Okay, but she has leukemia, thank god. From Warner this is a bummer, but too many white blood cells and she needs treatment for survival asap. And this could be the first blast crisis. So symptoms of the flu, so parents might not even know she just might have flu symptoms, but it is leukemia. So stablers like, we need to find Carly, and Melinda is gonna go see the family the Hunters and like let them know that their daughter is sick. So Jake and Pamela are with Melinda in the apartment and fills them in on the disease and the mom goes, fuck, my daughter has been tired for the past six weeks, but she just thought she didn't want to go to school six weeks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, your daughter, at least get her checked for mono or something like.
Speaker 1: Come on, you think for.
Speaker 2: Six and if she if if she doesn't want to go to school, this bad.
Speaker 1: Maybe something is something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to not do anything for six weeks and we'll learn more about this woman. So we need her back asap because you know, she has a few days or a week before this leukemia is gonna get out of control. Since the mom ignored her daughter for her six weeks, I feel whatever, listen to your fucking kids. So when Molina goes, you know, we gotta like get her back. We have like a few days to a week. The mom goes a week, then the phone rings, the dad gets it. Melinda reassures the mom, and then the dad's like hello, hello, hello, puts it on speakerphone. It's a voice changer. Wait, and the guy goes, wait for instructions. We have your daughter. If you call the police will kill her dial tone, so now dramatic music. Melinda's thinking. The mom flips out, why isn't he calling back? It's been hours, so it's like a time lapse. It's dark outside. Okay. So Melinda's so smart and says, these people want money and the only way to get money is to contact you, so they will contact you again. But I do think we need to get stabler. Dad says absolutely not. I'm not chancing with my daughter's life. Melinda goes, this is dangerous. He goes, if the cops are so smart, why didn't they tap our phones? And she's like, because we thought we were dealing with a pedophile and not a ransom case. Like fuck off, but also fuck the police.
Speaker 1: Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Life is too complicated and I don't want to live like this anymore. So he says, if we give money, we will get Carly back, and Melinda disagrees, but he goes, my daughter, my choice. The phone rings, the answer and speaker and we hear the voice scouy, I told you not to call the cops. Who is that woman they are being watched? They say she's a doctor. Melinda goes, yeah, she has leukemia. He goes you think I'm stupid and basically kind of a smart movie goes explain it to me, like I'm a doctor and you're a doctor.
Speaker 1: Prove it. She schools this ass.
Speaker 2: It's like so sexy, details, details, details, big words, and she needs to be hospitalized asap. It makes them silent and he goes. Nobody else can come in. We're watching, and then mister Hunter, leave now, and you better come back with three hundred thousand dollars. You have till eight pm or your daughter dies. Melinda coaches the mom to ask to talk to Carly. We do hear Carly's voice. She's alive, and the dad goes to the bank. Melinda asks for the bathroom, and we know we know what she's gonna do, but the mom stands alone in the living room, contemplating her complicated life, and Melinda calls the cops. Obviously, so now Stable and Finn are dresses delivery people. I'm obsessed. It's a giant refrigerator box, jumpsuits, hats. They enter with a fridge and she explains the safeful like zones of the apartment, which rooms can be seen from outside and not and out of the box hops out Joel de la Fuente and another person. The mom is flipping out. Stabler shushes her and he says, we're sweeping for bugs.
Speaker 1: I am like, just loves good police work.
Speaker 2: Okay, So Melinda keeps a censor under her shirt and walks around and the fit so Finn and the other man they leave, and Stablor goes seats to come in to come out, like, we're good, so smart, so fun. Ocean's eleven and as long as they stay in the kitchen, no one's gonna know they're there. The mom is not trusting, but Melinda and Stabler don't give a fuck, and they start whispering to each other. Each call was made from a prepaid cell phone that was just used once and then thrown out, so this person is very paranoid. Jake's back, he has the cash and he sees Stabler and his pissed, but they calm him down and they wait for the call.
Speaker 1: It's dark.
Speaker 2: She's never stayed away from home before, and Stabler goes, this wasn't random, Like someone chose Carly and they're targeting you. They know your name, number, where you live, you have money. He goes, I'm just a bank manager, Like I don't have like wealth. So Stabler asks, like, has anyone threatened? You are very angry, and the dad's getting a little annoyed, Like if I knew who took her, I would say something. I want my daughter back. Ring ring fax machine turns on. It's in his office. It says, go to the garage, now, put money in the trunk. Ninety eighth and west end, cell phone and back in dumpster. Find it, press redial and we'll tell you where to drive. The doc brings the money alone. Stanlor doesn't want her to go alone. She says she can handle herself. Okay, this is a really cool scene. So then he says, no offense. But med school doesn't exactly prepare you for this, She snaps back, the Air Force did they paid for medical school? I did two tours in Ramstein during desert storm? Like that right, sounds like a heavy metal band. How many seasons has Warner been on you? Guys don't know she was in the military, Like, I feel like they know each other. I know, but I think it's a classic man shit. I think it's like I think people that work with me, like, I think this is like a classic.
Speaker 1: Experience that I bet a lot of people.
Speaker 2: In a workforce experience of like yeah, yeah, and it's the heat of the moment. But you're right, Stabler should know that she's a badass. In the military. They like work very closely together. But she says, I know how to handle myself with men with guns. He takes his ankle gun gives it to her. She says it'll be okay. Not sure if she takes the gun or not, Like, we don't know, but Melinda is. I am assuming she takes the gun. Melinda's driving and doing the damn thing. She She finds the phone, she read aals, She heads down the river, down the west Side Highway. She enters some warehouse like style peers and then when she gets so she you know, goes to the trunk. She opens the trunk. There's a bag of money and who else what else? Stabler, he's in the trunk. Oh, and I love it. I love it a lot of So a man in a mask pulls up, lights flash on, and you know, Melinda, he gets out.
Speaker 1: He tells her to walk.
Speaker 2: She goes, not till I see Carly, and he says, do what I say, and she walks forward. He says stop and the guy says, sit up, and Carle pops up. She looks scared, and she looks disheveled. She definitely my stuff. Luky me like she's tired the mom to see her kid. I mean she's also been kidnapped, but like she does look tired and disheveled. I feel like the mom should have done something for six weeks. Yeah, rag a muffin. So he says, put the money down, YadA YadA. Okay, So then she puts it down but won't go back. He says, are you deaf? Go back to the car. She says, no, not without the girl. Look, you got your money, Just let me take her home.
Speaker 1: And she is so cute. She tells Carl to come out.
Speaker 2: She starts to get out of the car, and then a security guard enters. Fuck and he yells like private property, no trustpassing. So then the mass guy, you know, the ransom guy, tells Carl to get back in the car. Carly screams, Stabler pops out of the trunk. Melinda runs after the car. She falls down. Stabler shoots at the car, but it drives off. And also there's a girl in the car, and I can't believe you're just shooting at a car like that. Fuck, Carly has gone security guard. Boned us is the words that Stabler uses to fill in Kragan. And now he's like, well, now he knows the cops are involved, he can cut his losses and kill Carly. Now this sucks. Melinda goes, no, it's too much money. He's not gonna do it. He wants the money. He didn't take the money. That's crazy, that's so crazy. So ohhalleran sexy sexy csu comes in and I mean, yeah, I forgot your name, but I wrote sexy sexy next to you. So I feel like that's a that's a wind. He understands, and I've seen him socially. I've seen him socially. He's out and about. He's hot as fuck and thrilled, thrilled. I remember he was one of our first cast members.
Speaker 1: I feel.
Speaker 2: I guess we get excited with every cast member, no matter how many years it goes by.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 2: He found sodium chloride in the tires or something or left behind in the tracks. I really don't give a fuck, thank you. He goes, it's from rock salt for melting ice. But there was so much he didn't just drive through it, he was like parked in it. This is such a funny stretch, Like I don't know how they even came up with this, But they go, maybe there's a rock salt factory. I mean, that's where he's been hiding out. So Stabler goes, we need to tell Carly's parents what happened. Therapists. Obviously, the dad's yelling. Stabler takes the dad away and Melinda stays with the mom and he's like, we're not dealing with a pro here, and the dad goes, well, how do you know that? And Stable explains a pro wouldn't have been rattled by a rental cop. He would have made sure to take the money. It would have been a clean getaway. So like, and it's no one's saying I think a Stable goes, do you have something to tell me? And Salor turns around to make sure the mom's not listening. He's like, affair like gambling, what's going on? And then he goes like, could your wife be mad at you for something and trying to fuck you over? But I don't think the mom would like risk her daughter's life like this. But we've seen it before where parents do. So who knows the dad. We know a lot of parents. I don't think this mom would at this moment in time, because she does seem very panicked. Dad asks what now, Stabler goes, well, we go after him. There's two leads. We have forensic evidence from the warehouse and we have this ransom note. So now we're at with Taro Craigan and Ruben Morales are going through evidence and the facts location in his masked but Reuben thinks he could still track it with a secret code. So on the secret Service database he can look up a code and find his location through the ink. I can't, I can't the rock Salt the ink, the I can't What is this?
Speaker 3: Am?
Speaker 1: I am? I the only one that's upset.
Speaker 2: There's codes put into the ink, and through the ink and a secret service database he could find the location of where the thing was printed and then earlier it's like the rock salt factory.
Speaker 1: Like these are just so preposterous.
Speaker 3: I thought the ink put it to a certain place, and then the rock salt factories nearby.
Speaker 2: But no, I'm not saying uh like to me. I'm combining them because they're just so outward crazy dots I've never heard of that in my life. Like, what, like, there's a signature within the ink? What the fuck are you talking about? We're being we're being surveilled.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're on printing stuff. Let's get a munch back in here. I don't have munch in this episode, being like, look up from the paper.
Speaker 1: Well, funny, you should say that, where's Marishka. We haven't seen that yet? Pregnant?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, that's why there's a couple of season seven is like she's pret because that's why she's is. She appears later and she's holding a folder in front of her classic folder in front of the stomach.
Speaker 1: I knew you would know.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you clocked that. That's so funny. God, I love everything. So okay, we have the location. It's eighty sixth the Broadway. It's a coffee shop. That's where a printed it. Stabler starts to make circles on a map. Right the coffee shop, Karly's school, the Hunter apartment, the van where it was stolen, the ransom drop. It's all down the west Side and it's in a one mile stretch, so it's a safe zone. So she must be around here in his comfort place. So now Doyle is there is like there's a rock salt factory in that mile and it's went out of business. So they go to the storage of the rock salt factory that's been abandoned on fifty eighth in the Hudson and so Craigan and Stable run it. They go through a fence, no sign of a car but maybe inside. So watching Craigan run is so funny. We do not see him run a lot. He's usually not on the scene, and he runs very very funny. I don't know if you clocked it, but he's he's not swinging his arms in the way he should.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: It just was cute and I just love Dan Florick. So it's a big vacant space. But there's a new padlock on this like super old looking place. So they break it down and there's evidence of Carly's sneaker and then they pull it up and it's her full body. She's alive, thank god, she's unconscious, but there's a pulse. He fucking drugged her with cough syrup. So she made her drink a bunch of cough syrup and let her lay there, And so they got to get her to the hospital. The doctor that receives her is the surfer guy. We're talking blonde highlights and he has a lot of facts. So treated for hypothermia and an overdose. She's gonna sleep overnight and then we're gonna start key in the morning.
Speaker 1: I mean, this girl, what.
Speaker 3: Breaks another club? Another club with therapy, like it's crazy. Stabler seems proud.
Speaker 2: The dad looks at Stabler and nods, and Stabler nods back, and so Stabler and Denim and Leather walks into the office. Benson is walking out. This is the folder scene. I'm assuming I didn't notice that. Congrats, she said, I heard you found Carly. But you know, Stabler's not satisfied. The guy's still out there. She's confused why he's not leaving. She's going home, but he's like, I have to grab something from the locker. She says good night, but truly is puzzled, like she's staring at him pretty intensely. He goes into the crib with all the beds. So is this separation, Stabler? Because is this right? Before Blonde curls like, what's going on here?
Speaker 1: Maybe? Wait? Because why in the crib?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, he's like lays down, lays on his back, head on pillow, and you know, in his clothes.
Speaker 1: He didn't even take off his leather jacket.
Speaker 3: Connie Nielsen comes in in season eight, So I do think that season seven they're setting up the problems.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think you're right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and she knew something.
Speaker 2: He's sleeping at the precinct because it's not we have work to do sleep. It's I'm thinking about life sleep, you know what. I It's not like I got to catch the guy, because sometimes they have that too, but we do analyze their sleeps. Okay, so we're at Mercy Hospital. It's the mom and Carly's tabler's in a suit. Now, where was that in his locker? Did he go home? Did he shower after she took the kids to school? I have questions? She thanks him for finding the daughter. He needs to ask her some questions on who did this? Like did you ever see the face of the man who took you? He's like talking to the girl. She says, no, he always had the mask on and I was super sleepy though I couldn't keep my eyes open. It's like, yeah, honey, you've had leukemia for two months.
Speaker 1: Fuck fucked. Yeah, I've been really sleepy lately.
Speaker 3: And when you add like a bottle of adult cough syrup, yeah, I'm pretty pretty knackered crazy.
Speaker 2: She says he was nice, he didn't yell, and he made choco fizzies.
Speaker 1: That's not a common thing. What's going on? The mom cuts in.
Speaker 2: She goes, when Carly was little, she hated milk, So they miss chocolate syrup and seltzer together and you know, they giggle and Carly says, my brother called it a choco fizzy. Stabler goes, oh, really, and the mom realizes that the information is probably implicating that her first she has another child. She's not mentioned and he must be involved because not everyone's having choco fizzies. But also does that mean she didn't recognize it was her brother this whole time? But she is a very small girl, and there I guess there was a voice changer. So then Stabler brings the mom up and like takes her away from the hospital bed.
Speaker 1: Maybe her child needs a n app.
Speaker 2: She's going through chemo actively right now, and Stabler asks her if she has another child, and she says, Daniel, he's twenty three, but we haven't seen him in five years, and so Stabler is like, why wouldn't you mention him? And the mom is fuming, Oh my god, he did this. He took Carly. As sailor goes, why would you? Why would that happen? And the mom goes, cause he's a cokehead. It was, and it was giving coke head. There's a bag under the thing, there's a thing, we're going over here, the paranoia, the stair, you know, it's like so funny to me.
Speaker 1: He said, this is coke d behavior. She said.
Speaker 2: We tried everything, boot camp, rehab, counseling. Nothing worked. So basically, when Carly was three, went into his bedroom, found a stash, and she walked in right as Carly was putting drugs in her mouth. She says he almost killed his sister. He was so high and he didn't fucking care. So she knew Carly wasn't gonna be safe.
Speaker 1: Daniel.
Speaker 2: This is what she says. And we can talk about this. Daniel was eighteen. They cut him out of their lives. They go, he's eighteen, it's up to him. We we did everything we could. He wasn't gonna get better. And the last time I talked was the day he left now because I'm thinking about breaking bad and like Jungle Fever and certain movies, and it's like, yeah, if someone's in their twenties thirty, it's dangerous.
Speaker 1: You've done enough.
Speaker 2: You're enabling if you help them, like they they're ruining our lives, they've been robbing you.
Speaker 1: You have to kick him out.
Speaker 2: Eighteen to me is really young to give up on your kid and never speak to him again. He ran away from rehab once, like put him back, get him arrested, Like I don't understand, and I and now I understand why she let her daughter of leukemia for months and didn't listen to her, Like this mom is bad, Like addiction does not mean you were bad at parenting, but this woman is mm hmm, what.
Speaker 3: Are your thoughts? No, I thought the same, really harsh. You could say. You could say I can't have you in the house because you are physically a danger to our other child, but like, we're gonna get you into a program. We're gonna do this, Like I know that doesn't always work, but it's not like you're eighteen out of the house. And she says, I never saw him since the day he left. What you never checked on him, like, I don't know how that's Honestly, the whole episode, I kept thinking, oh, she's he's just the dad's son, like he's the dad's son from a previous relationship. Because the way the mom is acting, I don't know how you could fucking do that like eighteen, Like I'm not I totally get you have a three year old in the house that you have to protect, but like there are programs, there are like you could send him to live with a relative. You guys like seem like you were able to get three hundred k for the ransom, so you've got like you've got resources, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, you're out, you're eighteen.
Speaker 2: That's it, goodbye, Like I don't know. That's so crazy to me. Because I was being judgmental about the Leukemian. Then I was like, oh, I guess if you're really poor, like you can't go to doctor's appointments, like you wouldn't put it all together. You might be working a few jobs and you might not even notice so like you need the kid at school or whatever, Like I was saying, Then I go, but these people do have money. They live in a nice building, like they have insurance. He's the bank manager. Like, yeah, it is, you have so much to give to your kids. But I don't think she sees children. I don't think this is someone that should not have been a parent. I do not like her. I don't like her coldness. I don't think she lives because obviously your son is screaming for help.
Speaker 1: He's a team cokehead.
Speaker 3: But I think that's like a lot of people have this thing that's like you're choosing to do drugs, stop doing drugs, and it's like that's not addiction, you know, like that's a fundamental misunderstanding of it what addiction is.
Speaker 2: And like, I don't know. I feel like.
Speaker 3: I hear what Yeah, like what you said, Like yes, of course you can get people tens and twenties of chances or whatever, and then at a certain point you're enabling eighteen, like barely an adult, Like I don't know, And there was a lot more they.
Speaker 1: Could have done for him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the way she evens phrased it, I wish I like was more exact in the way I wrote it, but it was like, well, he was eighteen, we had done what we could and it was a lost cause.
Speaker 3: He wasn't going to get better, Like, how do you know he's not a sixty five year old cooked?
Speaker 2: You know? Has he ran away once from rehab? Yeah, some people usually have to go to rehab.
Speaker 3: Like I think nine times that sounds a lot like this is hard. And now I have another kid who is I can start over with.
Speaker 2: And because I'm thinking about euphoria another because I'm not you know afoura where it's like the mom had to be tough and off like rough with her, but it's still your child.
Speaker 1: There's like a lot like she is.
Speaker 2: Not for me. So anyways, so yeah, she doesn't talked to him. He wasn't going to get better by it. Okay, So she says, you may think I'm cold. Yeah we did. But I love my son but I hate the junkie he has become. But I cannot help him and I cannot make him better. Oh I did write it exact. Wow, I'm really good at this. Okay. So Stabler asks where her husband is, and he's at work at the bank. So Melinda walks in as the mom goes back to Cary, and Stabler's like, what's up? What?
Speaker 1: Hey? Can we talk?
Speaker 2: What do you know about family is an addiction, and she goes, actually, I did a rotation at a methadone clinic.
Speaker 1: She's done it all. He says, I might need your help.
Speaker 2: So they go to the bank and they bring up Daniel and they say he might be involved, and the dad says, you're wrong, and they're like, well, we know about the addiction. He leads them to his office. He goes, he's a good kid. Drugs fucked him up. He wouldn't hurt his sister. And it's like, well, he actually drugged her and left her in an abandoned rock salt factory in a pad locked the rooms she was in after giving her a bottle of Clough syrups. So I guess he would, I guess he would.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's like he left her on the ground underneath a bunch of trash, like you know, like for your little sister. Couldn't have drugged her and left her like propped up on something like I don't know.
Speaker 2: His family has so many secrets. It's really so dysfunctional. So Melinda says, cocaine changes people, and he goes, listen, yeah, I still talk to my son. My wife doesn't know. She like, I just couldn't cut him off. I couldn't do it. It's still my son. But the last time we talked to him, and it's like, so crazy.
Speaker 3: You're just married to somebody that doesn't match your level of empathy at all.
Speaker 1: That's so weird, Like that's strange.
Speaker 3: To me that you're like, we're just gonna keep going on with our life and we're happily married, but she wants to cut off a full person that we made and raised, Like it's I don't know whatever.
Speaker 2: He says he was in trouble, sounded scared and asked for the money, but it was too much money. So like his wife would find out, he couldn't do it. He says, it's all my fault. Suddenly we hear full machine gun shots bam bam, like ten shots are fired. It's a bank robbery. It's the same mask. It's his son, So what's that mask for? What's that mask for? In real life?
Speaker 3: It's just a terrifying clear mask, Like what's that for? Is that a coffee?
Speaker 2: What are you talking about? It's like the movie Strangers, which you probably haven't seen.
Speaker 3: I've seen. I think I've seen the cover of it. But like I don't know, like that, or it's the purge.
Speaker 2: I don't know what kind of mass this is, but yeah, it's for crimes and scary Halloween.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's I don't know.
Speaker 2: Stabler asks Melinda if she has her PDA, which confused me. But Melinda takes out a phone or a walkie or like some sort of I think PDAs are like, yeah, like pom pilots. Yeah, like whatever. She gets Craigan over there. He screams, everyone on the ground. His dad's not getting on the ground. The guy keeps screaming behind the mask. The dad continues to stand and says Daniel, So now he removes his mask. Everyone knows who he was. He is drugged up, he is sweaty, yeah yeah, and there's a baby crying. It's such a busy bank. It's like a cartoon, Like I don't think banks are this busy. Maybe Friday's at five pm before cell phones were invented. So he's pointing a gun at the dad, who asks, are you really gonna shoot me?
Speaker 1: Maybe? I mean this guy's crazy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the dad gets on the ground and he's stressed out of course, and then Daniel does not know that Stabler and Melinda are here. Sailor's crawl ass up? Okay with the guy he is? The cakes are in the air. He's like Spider Man crawling. It's really funny. He's like in a Discovery Zone jungle gym. It's silly. So then Stabler finally stands up and to shoot the robber, and the dad sees Stabler about to shoot his child and screams, don't shoot and shoves Stabler down. Daniel hears it, starts spraying bullets. Stabler lunges out of the way. Daniel asks who the fuck is back there? So the dad gives up Warner and Stabler. Would you have stopped someone from shooting your bank robber coked up son who kidnapped her daughter?
Speaker 1: Or would you let him get shot?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I feel like that's a that's a game time. I feel like you're telling me it's like patience. She's twenty three and she is robbing a bake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think I would do whatever I had to to save her life.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, Stabler should have tried to get a shot in, not next to the father of who she's trying to shoot. Melinda's so Melinda says, get me the gun, Daniel whatever. So he wants the cops out. He wants the gun on the floor, do it or I'll kill everyone. So he does the thing where the thing from the bottom flies out of the gun, and he does instead of purse first, the gun first, like he like, reach out of the doorway.
Speaker 3: Walk into the club, gun first, yeah, and then the bullet battery it falls out. So they both walk out.
Speaker 2: Stablor tries to talk to him, but he tells him to shut the fuck up. Melinda says, you're high. It's like, well yeah. He starts searching Stabler. The Dad's like, why are you doing this? He goes like, you don't know. I told you I needed money. They were going to kill me, and Stabley goes, who is going to kill you? He goes, I owe a lot of people money and if I don't pay them, I'm a dead man. And he's like, and you wouldn't help me because you don't care about And then the dad stands up and goes, yes, I do. And he says, you threw me on the street and I had nowhere to go, And the dad gets stern, you went to rehab and you ran away and then the son goes, you only care about Carly, and then you know whatever, he's screaming for the woman that went to the vault to get more money. She's like, hurry, hurry up. I don't know why didn't mention the vault earlier? You know, he wants money. So then he goes your mom and I love you very much, and he's like, why wouldn't you help me? Like, why didn't you help me? So then the woman comes out from the vault with all the money. Stabler tries to communicate with Melinda with his eyes, but it's too late.
Speaker 1: He walks like.
Speaker 2: He grabs Stabler, a gun to Stabler's head and walks tries to walk him out.
Speaker 1: Now Daniel is stunned. He's a coke head.
Speaker 2: He doesn't realize there's about to be police cars, dozens of them, cops guns.
Speaker 1: This is a bank ruppery.
Speaker 2: Sue Kragan screams, hold your fire, hold your fire, but the dude's scared, so instead of water, he goes back inside. And then the security guard decides he wants to be a hero. He starts shooting. He shoots at Daniel, misses every single shot, so Daniel turns around to shoot him back. The security guard drops to the ground behind the desk. Daniel shoots his own father a bunch, So now there's blood everywhere. Melinda puts her bare hands on the pouring out blood over his heart and the dad is dying. So Craigan's in charge outside and like obviously everyone wants to like shoot everyone in there, and Craigan goes, please don't do them. So then he also calls this guy a scared kid. He is twenty three, he has so the other guy so funny. He goes, a kid, the guy you mean with a mac ten high on coke and a dozen hostages. Ha ha. So yeah, Craigan goes, yeah, he's in over his head. He's looking for a way out. Let's give him a way out. So Ruby Morales calls the bank.
Speaker 1: It rings.
Speaker 2: Stabler explains it's a negotiator, like tell him what you want, let's get you out of here. And he goes, I don't know what I want. It's like, well we'll figure it out together, just answer it. So he makes Stable answer the phone. Craigan announced himself and he goes, hey, it's dawn, and we don't hear that. A lot of like that, and will he let the hostages leave. Daniel says no, but like that that's his only leverage, and Stela goes, no, they're not gonna shoot you if they have me. I'm a cop, they're not gonna kill me. Like, let these other people out. As long as you have me, you're safe. So Daniel goes, okay, fine, so he lets everybody out, and also it's like, your father needs a doctor, but he goes, well, is the doctor doesn't matter? And Melinda goes, no, we need to get him to a hospital. And also I need an AIDS test. I fully put my full hand into his like wound what? And so Daniel thinks and looks at his bloody dad and is like final, let everyone else out. So Melinda and the vult girls start carrying the dad out, but he collapses and then a bunch of hostages are running out. Melinda says the dad lost too much blood. I can't move him, and so she's like so then Daniel's like, fuck, my dad, is he gonna die?
Speaker 1: And it's like you shot him?
Speaker 2: He says, dad, I didn't mean to do this, and he has his gun on Stabler during all of it.
Speaker 1: So everyone's out of the bank.
Speaker 2: The only people left in their warner bloody dad, stabler, gun son. Donna is on the call says, okay, how can we help Daniel? He responds, nobody can help me. I'm going to jail. I shot my dad. The dad goes, it's okay, son, it was an accident. They're both the worst parents of all time in every direction, and Daniel goes, Yep, I'm sure they'll like, let me just walk on out of here. What the fuck are you talking about? Melinda goes, you let all those people go. That's gonna count for something.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The dad starts coughing up blood Rooge style. So then Daniel asks what's happening to him? And then Melinda says, his lungs are collapsing. She takes off his coat and she does. Do you like the Sandra Bullock Melissa McCarthy movie The Heat Love? I love when she tries to do this and it goes so wrong, Like that was to me such pure comedy, so shocking, so surprising, a scene that just like, I love it.
Speaker 1: I want to rewatch that movie.
Speaker 2: But here's you know, it's Melinda, but she just takes sharp scissors, fucking cuts into his skin. The prosthetics department did incredible work here, Like you really see the hole open up. She scissors it, puts like the pen tube into his lung, and Daniel screams, hurry up. She's cutting her dad open and putting a pen straw in his lung.
Speaker 1: Eye.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 3: So anyways, there's a thing in the in the wiki that like where people like to point out goofs, and they do say that when she puts the plastic tube in, she puts it in the wrong place, but whatever whatever. It also says that the machine dots. It says they do do dots, but there's no way that they could come through on a fax machine, so that that part's fakedo wrong. But it's like we didn't even know about the dots. Okay, we're still processing the dots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's also like with surgery, I get saving a life, like rules go out the window, but like it seems like cleanliness is very important and so it seems crazy to just like jab a scissor into a lung. But yes, well I didn't do two tours in Ramstein, so yeah, I don't know. I don't know. So anyways, Melinda is doing her job. She cuts them open. Everything's happening. It's really gross. He's grunting, but we need to get him to a hospital. Dad is bleeding everywhere out of his mouth, so he tries to apologize his dad. I would say, too late, but the dad's pretty supportive and goes, we're gonna be okay. Daniel sniffs a little bit because he is on cocaine and says yeah. So he turns around starts shooting out the bank doors, glass everywhere. He tells his mom, you know. He goes, tell mom, I love her, and he's trying to do suicide by cop.
Speaker 1: He's walking out, like shooting out.
Speaker 2: But guess what, Melinda has a gun shoots him from like behind to his leg. He falls down. The dad says no, and Stabler goes, Melinda just saved your fucking son's life, and so they arrest him. They take the dad to the hospital. The mom's on the scene. Rough week for the family. Son gets put in the back of the police car. The mom says, I don't know what to say to him. To Melinda and she says nothing. The mom walks away. She doesn't want to look at him. Stabler and Melinda have a moment, and he's like, are you gonna be okay? And she just says, I have to pick up my daughter from school. Yeah, and then she just turns around. I'm sure they're going to make her see the work psychologist, but she walks off and she's just like puzzled and really confused. She has a lot of emotions on her face. And then Stabler watches her leave and that's stick wolf baby, thank you so much. Fun episode, fun electric, cool.
Speaker 3: Episode and fun that when they were like listen, Ben's away, who can pinch hit a little bit? And it's like Melinda, let's give Hwang an episode, you.
Speaker 2: Know, like I like it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, get a lot.
Speaker 2: I'm excited. I mean, yeah, let's see what happens. Tell me I know nothing. I know nothing. I don't know that seems like one. I'm not excited because I know death. But like, to me, this is one that's one of my favorites. Again, I can't believe the show is so good that I'm like, have we not done this? I love this so because we haven't done it, I assumed it wasn't even based on a crime, because I was like, why wouldn't we have done it?
Speaker 3: Okay, So it's based on two crimes. The first one is the bank robbery part of it. The North Hollywood shootout, is what this is based on. And I had not heard of this, And you know, I mean, I guess we're more in the the murder sexual assault like arena and not as much into like bank robberies, but this one is why. So on February twenty eighth, nineteen ninety seven, Larry Phillips Junior and Emil Mada sau Renu arrived at a Bank of America in North Hollywood. They set their watches, which they had sewn to the outside of a glove.
Speaker 1: They each had watches sewn on.
Speaker 3: They set their watches for eight minutes, which is how long they estimated it would take the police to arrive, which they figured out by monitoring police scanners prior to the robbery. And I'm sorry, I don't condone robbery, but I do love logistics, so I'm loving that they're like, okay, synchronized watches, let's do this.
Speaker 2: They both walk, but not even that watch sewn into the gloves.
Speaker 3: Sewn into the glove. Baby, they need to get a project runway. These two guys, speaking of Projeck runway. They walked into this bank, each wearing about forty pounds of homemade body armor, like we're talking bulletproof vests, but then other bulletproof stuff that they had like turned into shin guards, like all kinds of shit.
Speaker 2: Like they are a lot of they know each other. I wonder how they meet, Like how do the bank robbers meet? When do you bring it up? Like are you having beers and go do you want to do this? Or do they meet in the bank robbing circuit. That's why I love the movie The Minions because of the evil convention. I'm like, this gives me a lot of insight, Like this is how they're meeting. It makes sense. How were these guys meeting?
Speaker 3: No, honestly, I'm I don't know how they met each other. But they started robbing banks together in ninety three and banks and armored cars, so they were doing that, and I don't know what their friendship is, to be honest, but they found each other maybe yes, on a bank robbery thread on an old GeoCities blog or something. So they set the watches, they head in with forty pounds of body armor. Before they enter the bank, they took Fena barbital, which is a barbituate that was prescribed to Matasarayenu as a sedative, and they took that to calm their nerves.
Speaker 1: Why did I think it was a drag queen? That does make it? For Oh?
Speaker 3: Okay, Pena barbital is a drag queens thing. She makes a lot of the wigs for Trixy and Katia. Yeah she I think Fena does wigs too.
Speaker 1: Ohh.
Speaker 2: Who's the one that was kind of gothic on the show and then like got kicked off? Layla, Leyla, that's one thing. Yeah, Layla does.
Speaker 3: Make up really well, I guess, I mean does for other people.
Speaker 1: I think she was good on the show, but.
Speaker 2: She got knocked out pretty quch Oh no, I think she went an Emmy for Bob Macopi's show.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, Leayla's like very well respected.
Speaker 1: So wait, will you repeat that.
Speaker 2: I was so distracted by it being a drag queen that I forgot what like what you were saying.
Speaker 3: Basically, they both they took they took this phena barbital. They took a barbituate that one of them had a prescription to as a sedative, and they took it to calm their nerves, like so they could like be chill.
Speaker 1: Group is not coked out planned well.
Speaker 3: Toxicology reports later showed a fedrin and fennel propennolamine in Phillips's blood and fenytoin in Matsurayanu's blood.
Speaker 2: And I didn't even look these up, but.
Speaker 3: One is an anti convulsive treatment for epilepsy. Another is a decongestent and appetites of pressint. I do not know why these things are in the information about what they had in their systems. And then a fedrin is like a speedy thing, isn't it like fen like from the eighties? Let's say, yeah, a fedron is a stimulant, so but also can treat hypotension.
Speaker 2: So I think that's how people have got thin in the nineties. Yeah, it's the nineties.
Speaker 3: These guys are trying to stay trim and rob banks, Okay, So they enter the bank at nine sixteen. When they're inside, Phillips yells, this is a fucking hold up, and they both shoot their guns at the ceiling a bunch of times to scare the people in the bank. And the bank is filled with like thirty or so people customers and staff, and they want to send a message like don't fucking try to come for us. We've got, you know, guns, and there's they're automatic weapons. So they force a manager to open the vault fill a bag with money, but because of a change to the bank's delivery schedule, the vault had way less than the seven hundred and fifty k that these gunmen were expecting. Mada Sarienu is furious and demands more money from the manager. Then he fires seventy five rounds into the bank safe, which destroys much of the remaining money. Then he tries to open the bank's ATM, but due to a policy change, the manager can no longer get into the ATM to that money. So then they put all the hostages in the bank vault and they lock it and they leave with three hundred and three thousand, three hundred and five dollars plus three die packs, which later exploded, ruining some of the money.
Speaker 1: Because the guy in.
Speaker 3: The episode is like, no die packs, right, like he's got an eye out for it. So unfortunately for these two, when you walk into a bank with automatic weapons and tons of homemade body armor, people do notice you. So two cops did see them walking into the bank, which is they didn't count on that, like when they were calculating their eight minutes, and they immediately called it in like possible robbery.
Speaker 1: At this Bank of America.
Speaker 3: So when they these robbers go to exit the bank, uh oh, the lapd is there, and an action movie style shootout between cops and robbers does begin.
Speaker 2: Wait, is there air in the the vault? Because that would be the best if there was a bank robbery and they put me in the vault, I'd feel happy.
Speaker 1: I'd be like, thank God, I'm out of danger.
Speaker 3: But I'm just yeah, I mean, I think it's definitely like a few hours worth of air, Like I wouldn't want to be locked in there for a long time.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Well, now they've converted a lot of vaults and banks into nightclubs and bars.
Speaker 3: So I've done standing up in a vault. Yeah, I've done stand up in a bank vault. It's kind of great. The sound is like really can be really good because it keeps it all in like all the laughs.
Speaker 1: But so this big shootout start.
Speaker 3: These two try to get away matas Sarienu after being shot in the ass the arm and getting a laceration in his eye socket, abandons the double bag of money and gets in the getaway car, which is a white nineteen eighty seven Chevrolet celebrity and Phillips, who had been trying to get into the car but was shot in the shoulder and also a shot hit his gun, so he abandoned the car, and he still had another gun obviously, and he fled on foot. So while they're all the while this is happening, they're continuing you shoot at the cops and the cops are shooting back at them.
Speaker 1: The shootout continued on.
Speaker 3: A residential street, with matas Siinu following Phillips to try to get him in the car, like he's like driving kind of alongside him, and then they eventually split up when one of them like gets like Phillips gets behind a truck and then Phillips, who's been badly shot, eventually just shoots himself under the chin, and right after that a cops shoots him in the spine, and they said either could be the cause of death, but Phillips ends it. Meanwhile, Matasiinu is continuing to chaotically cruise down the street. He's crashing into other cars, he's trying and failing to carjack a bunch of people at nine to fifty six, so literally forty minutes have passed.
Speaker 2: Do we get the rights to this? How is this not a movie?
Speaker 1: I mean, at nine.
Speaker 3: Fifty six, he tries to carjack a yellow nineteen sixty three Jeep Gladiator by shooting at the driver, who gets away, but not before the driver flips some kind of electrical kill switch which makes the car undriveable. So then Mata Siennu gets into a gunfight with the cops that apparently is almost two point five minutes of uninterrupted gunfire, like just gun shots NonStop for two and a half minutes. And then after this guy gets shot so many times he's finally down, they call an ambulance while he's apparently loudly swearing and trying to get the cops to shoot him. He's like daring the cops to shoot him. He dies before the ambulance and the EMTs can get there, and he'd been shot twenty nine times in the legs and died from blood loss from two gun shot wounds in his left eigh.
Speaker 2: I wonder if it's because he took that calmbing pill like he was chill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess it makes you not panic when you get shot the first twenty seven or so times. I don't know, like that's a lot of times to get fucking shot. So later his kids actually filed a lawsuit against the LAPD an officer and a detective who were at the scene, claiming that his civil rights have been violated and that he was allowed to bleed to death.
Speaker 1: They say that an ambulance crew did arrive.
Speaker 3: So apparently when there's something like this going on that wherever there's the danger, it's called the hot zone, and like they're not going to call any ambulances into the hot zone because ambulance drivers are not law enforcement, Like they're not you know, they're there to help people. They're not there to like dodge gunfire.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So you can't pay someone hourly and then throw them in the gun yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So like they don't get called into like this hot zone. But what they're alleging is that the ambulance crew did, but they left after one of the cops told the crew to quote, get the fuck out of there. And I think the cop even said in trial that he said something to that effect, but he probably said like, yeah, but because it was a hot zone still and then you know, an ambulance driver said he didn't feel safe and felt like he was his life was in danger. And then apparently the officer said, well, we tried to get an ambulance to come back or get.
Speaker 2: A different one. But they allege the kids lawsuit.
Speaker 3: A ledge is that one of those cops canceled the ambulance and told the dispatcher, I have no officers or citizens down, only a suspect. So I don't know, but the case was tried in two thousand and ended with a hung jury, and then the family later dropped the lawsuit, so they never got any civil money from these two cops for letting their dad bleed out.
Speaker 1: But crazy, I've never heard of a lawsuit like that, I know.
Speaker 3: So then, so basically, yeah, Phillips and Motes Sorien, who had robbed at least two other banks, they'd robbed armored cars, they used illegal guns that they had modified to be automatic weapons. Initially, the cops like were honestly not getting anywhere with these guys because they were so heavily armored, that they brought in the LAPD squad team with more high powered weapons, and this shootout sparked like a whole debate about the need for patrol officers to upgrade their firepower to semi automatic rifles so that they could be prepared for situations like this, which I'm like, okay, cool. I mean part of me is also like, can't we like apprehend robbers without just like a full fucking shootout. But I guess these guys could have killed people.
Speaker 2: Too, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know, but it contributed to the eventual arming of police officers in LA with semi automatic rifles and nationwide, So this was like a big thing late nineties crime, Like, let's give the cops semi automatic weapons. Twelve police officers eight civilians were injured in the shootout, but nobody else, no other casualties except for the robbers themselves. Due to the large number of injuries and rounds fire, the equipment used by these robbers the length of the shootout, it's considered one of the most intense and significant gun battles in.
Speaker 1: US police history. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the two Roberts fired approximately eleven hundred rounds in total, and the cops six hundred and fifty rounds. But another estimate says that it was a total of almost two thousand rounds were fired.
Speaker 1: So that's the that's fucked.
Speaker 3: That's the that's the battle of the Battle of North Hollywood, the North Hollywood shootout. Here is the case that this is more like that the kidnapping is based on which I'm just going to get every ready to head up, has some horrific details in it. So this is the Marion Parker case. Francis Marion Parker, though she went by Marion, was a twelve year old girl who was kidnapped and murdered in Los Angeles in December of nineteen twenty seven, in what the La Times called quote the most horrible crime of the nineteen twenties. So on December fifteenth, nineteen twenty seven, Marion is at Mount Vernon Junior High School when a man pretending to to be one of her father's employees signs her out of school with the registrar saying her father, Perry, has been in a car accident and he wants his daughter to be brought to him, and the registrar let her go with him because she thought he seemed nice and it seemed like they maybe knew each other. On December sixteenth, the Parker family gets a ransom note asking for fifteen hundred dollars, which is about twenty eight thousand dollars today, and they wanted in twenty dollars gold certificates. So these ransom notes come by telegram, and they had varying signatures Fate, death, the Fox. Some had words written in Greek on them. The first note came from Pasadena and said do positively nothing till you receive special delivery letter. The second was from Alhambra and said, Marian secure, use good judgment. Interference with my plans dangerous. A third one said no one will ever see the girl again except the angels in heaven, and they signed the letter fate and also the Greek word for death.
Speaker 2: We never really get to a very angie cassa vedas.
Speaker 1: Yes, very.
Speaker 2: Pro Greek.
Speaker 3: This is Greek propaganda, like angiekats in the Vedas is like a full plant from the Greek tourism industry.
Speaker 2: I feel, well, it's just funny that like her daughter's like, Mom, why did you make Greek? Like you're being embarrassing, like to have your daughter go, why are you being so Greek?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it just makes me really laught so wild.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Marian's father, Perry Parker, worked at a bank much like the dad in this episode, okay, and he made an attempt at a ransom drop, but when the kidnapper realized that he had involved the police, he the kidnapper like ghosted. So then Parker gets another telegram for the kid from the kidnapper, berating him for the press attention that the case was getting and also like you know, lecturing him for getting the police involved. In a following telegram, he told Parker that he would only keep her alive for one more day, and this part of the letter also included a portion of the letter written in Marian's handwriting, begging him to do the drop without police involvement. So now two ransom telegrams arrive on December seventeenth, so now she's been missing for two days. That read PM Parker, please recover your senses. I want your money rather than to kill your child, but so far you have given me no other alternative. And the other message said, Fox is my name, very sly you know, set no traps, I'll watch for them. Get this straight exclamation point. Remember that life hangs by a thread I have a Gillette ready and I'm able to handle the situation. So these are very threatening. So now it's time for the ransom drop. On twelve seventeen, Perry has convinced the authorities to let him go alone with no police, So he gets to the drop point with the money around eight o'clock and is quickly approached by the suspect driving a Chrysler Coop. He pulls up next to Perry's car with and holds him at gunpoint with a sowd off shotgun, and he has a bandana covering most of his face and Parry like an ice agent, a different kind of criminal. And Parry could see Marian in the passenger seat of the car, sitting there but not moving, and he called her name, but there was no response, and he was confused because her eyes were opened, but he just assumed she had been drugged and it was also so basically what happened was the kidnapper grabs the money, drives off, and tosses Marian's body out of the car as he speeds off. There's some outlets that reported that he said, there's your daughter as he threw the body out of the car. Now this is very graphic in case anybody wants to, I don't know fast forward, but her limbs had been cut off, her eyes were sewed open with wires, and she had been disemboweled, and her abdominal cavity was stuffed with like a towel and a man's shirt, like a bunch of towels and a man's shirt. The limbs were later found in Alesion Park. The coroner confirmed that she had actually died twelve hours earlier and actually during the pandemic. In twenty twenty, they did a reboot of Perry Mason that I watched and very much enjoyed, and in the first season, the whole premise of it is that this little baby is kidnapped a much younger child, a baby, but when the kidnappers deliver the kid in the show, he also has his eyes like son open, so there's They say that this case inspired that season looselyate I think just because of the eye situation. In the show, the baby died because he would overdose being breastfed by a heroin using sex worker. In real life, there's a different reason why he does it, So obviously, this crime is so fucking horrific that's so it's so fucked and like, honestly, the disemboweling, I.
Speaker 2: Don't like that she had only died twelve hours earlier, Like that means she was alive for this shit, Like what the fuck? Or not?
Speaker 1: Or they did it that.
Speaker 3: Day, Like well, I'm going to get into it, but it's like, I don't know, I don't know why. So obviously a man hunt begins immediately, twenty thousand police officers volunteers, Like, there's a fifty thousand dollars reward.
Speaker 2: This isn't for ransom, this is a Sickoh, this is like a psycho you know.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, well yeah, there's there's like more to it, but yes, absolutely. The fifty thousand dollars reward is later up to one hundred thousand because so many donations from the public flooded in. Three days after the whole ransom drop body discovery, the abandoned car that was used was found, and it had been stolen in San Diego like earlier, and they found the car, the authorities were able to get fingerprints off the car door, and from these prints, the murderer was quickly identified as nineteen year old William Edward Hickman nineteen, who was actually a former coworker of Perry Parker at the bank, so not his son, but former coworker, and they had worked together at First National Bank of Los Angeles, and the year before, Hickman had been arrested after Perry like ratted him out for forging four hundred dollars in stolen checks. Hickman ended up getting probation, moving to Kansas City and for six months, but he eventually came back to LA Another key piece of evidence was that one of the towels that was found inside of Marion's abdominal cavity was traced to an apartment complex called Bellevue Arms, where it turned out that Hickman had recently moved in under the alias Donald Evans. So in searching his apartment at Bellvue Arms, they found bloody fingerprints, They found newspaper clippings about the kidnapping, and burnt ransom notes like he had written some mistake ransom notes and then burned them. And then a janitor at Bellevue Arms said he saw Hickman carrying several packages to his car on the night of December sixteenth, and then saw him wiping down his car's seats the next day. I don't know if that ended up ever proving anything, but the police tracked Hickman through Oregon, Washington State. This guy is like on the lamb for a few days, and along the way he's paying with these gold certificates from the ransom.
Speaker 1: So then on like for hotels and random shit.
Speaker 3: So then on December twenty second, it's been five days since the drop, Hickman was arrested in Echo, Oregon, Okay. And when they found him, he had fourteen hundred dollars of the fifteen hundred dollars on him, So you'd already spent one hundred of it, which doesn't sound like that much, but it's a pretty big chunk of the total amount of money that you've just blown on your getaway. So when they find him, he says, quote some fiend killed her.
Speaker 1: I know who he is.
Speaker 2: End quote.
Speaker 3: And then he said quote I did it because I wanted the money to pay my way through college end quote. And like I found that quote in a couple different places, And like, I don't know how much time lapses between him saying he didn't do it and to the end.
Speaker 1: Yes, I did do it.
Speaker 3: To pay for college, Like, I don't know what the order, like, what makes him say that, but I guess.
Speaker 1: He then says he kind of did it.
Speaker 3: But in jail and Oregon, he confesses that he helped with the kidnapping, but he said he.
Speaker 1: Didn't do the murder.
Speaker 3: That was these two brothers, Oliver and Frank Kramer, who claimed who's he's claiming did all the murdering that killed her, and Hickman told reporters that he actually spent a lot of time with Mary and after he kidnapped her and even took her to see a movie called Figures Don't Lie at the rialto theater Wild he copped to the telegrams, the ransom telegrams, the phone calls, but he said, nope, the Kramers did the murder. But he's kind of a fucking dumbass, and it was it must have been a hail Mary on his part because the Kramer brothers were in prison when the murder occurred and they had been for months, so was not the Kramer bros. So Hickman gets extradited to California, where he confesses also to the murder of Clarence Ivy Tom's which had occurred during a drugstore robbery. He also confesses to many other robberies, and then he gives a full written confession detailing Mariam Parker's murder, which is really really horrendous, so just get ready, this is really bad. Hickman said he blindfolded and tied Parker to a chair in his apartment at the Bellvue Arms, and then he strangled her until she was unconscious. He then hung the body upside down over his bathtub, sliced her throat at the jugular to drain all the blood, and then.
Speaker 2: He said, I'm glad she was dead for all this.
Speaker 1: Well, wait till my senter.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is all from him, so hopefully this is not real. But after dismembering her arms and legs, he disemboweled her, and he claimed at one point doing that the body jerked with such force that it flew out of the tub, which suggests that she maybe was still alive during the dismemberment. I would like to think that it was like a Rigor mortis type of thing, where her body just made a move, But I cannot honestly wrap my mind around that someone being alive for something so awful. But he wraps the limbs in newspaper, puts her torso in a suitcase. Then he goes to see a movie, but he's not totally psycho. He couldn't focus during the movie and cried throughout the entire thing, So he's feeling remorse. I guess later, again, what was the reason for killing her, Like, there's no reason you still went to the drop. You could have just given her over, like they brought the money, and all the disemboweling and the dismembering. I guess the dismembering was probably to get rid of the body, but I don't understand the disemboweling. I really don't understand what any of his motives were for this. And he realized a little later. He's like, oh, Perry's gonna want to see his daughter at the drop and make sure she's okay before he pays the ransom. So then he basically tries to put her back together again. And that's when he puts makeup on her face and he sows her eyes open using wire, and that's you know why she appeared to be awake sitting in the car when her dad was to her. But Hickman told the police quote she felt perfectly safe, and the tragedy was so sudden and unexpected that I'm sure she never actually suffered through the whole affair, except for a little sobbing which she couldn't keep back for her mother and father. End quote so very horrific, I mean in the nineteen twenties too, like, I mean, I forgot what no Black Dolly is later like, but these horrific like disemboweling crimes are, and in la like what's going on at trial. Hickman's lawyers are trying to plead that he's insane. They claim that a god named Providence commanded him to commit these heinous crimes. Okay, Providence is this supernatural deity making him do this. He is one of the first defendants in California to plead not guilty by reason of insanity, as it was a new law at the time.
Speaker 2: So but prison guards from the jail and Oregon.
Speaker 3: Said that Hickman had asked them how to quote unquote act crazy. And then a psychologist named doctor W. D. McCarry examined Hickman and jail and said, quote his mind seemed clear. And he also said Hickman quote told a straight coherent story and was never at a loss for words. There was nothing about him to indicate insanity. He says he does not like girls, that he is deeply religious, and that his ambition was to become a minister. Several times he made mention of God end quote, so of course this is a God fearing man. The prosecution introduced that Hickman's motive was revenge for Perry Parker for testifying against him in this forgery trial, which, by the way, he got no jail time for. So it would be a wild reaction to murder someone's child because you got probation for six months for check forgery.
Speaker 1: But it was also suggested that he may have wanted the notoriety.
Speaker 3: Apparently he told one reporter that he wanted as much press as Leopold and Lobe had gotten. And I don't know if you've heard of them, Lisa, but they were too guys in nineteen twenty four who killed a teen boy in Chicago, and that was called the crime of the century at the time. So this guy, whatever his motivations were, Hickman was found guilty and sentenced to death in February of nineteen twenty eight. A month later, He was found guilty of the murder of Clarence Ivy Toms and sentenced to life for that.
Speaker 2: He had one.
Speaker 3: Failed appeal, but he was executed by hanging at San Quentin in October of nineteen twenty eight, so less than a year after the crime was committed. This guy was dead. Like, they did not fuck around in the twenties. It's like none of this twenty years on death row shit. Like this guy was dead. In the months before his execution, he apparently became a Catholic and wrote apology letters to his victims' families. Not that it really matters, but yeah, fucked.
Speaker 1: I mean, we don't even have a guess. I know this is there's no palate cleanser for this one.
Speaker 2: You guys.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, We're just gonna have to go straight into our post mortem.
Speaker 2: I mean, oh so terrible. What a sick mother fucker. Yeah you know those guys. Yeah, okay, well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they like originally didn't tell her mom the details of what happened because they knew it would just like ruin her. So they told her that the daughter died of like like a poison overdose or something like that.
Speaker 2: Like, I I it's like.
Speaker 3: Awful, But so that didn't happen to Carly in the show. But there were just some similarities with like the ransom and the and this guy wasn't on drugs. Apparently he was just working at the behest of a god named Providence or wanted to be famous. I don't know, but let's get into our post mortem right away. Okay, So no guests today for Blast, although I think we do talk to Tamratuni about it, so if anybody wants to go back and revisit that episode, we ask her about that one for Shore. That's harm, right, I think it's I think it's harm Harm. Yeah, it's the Abu grab which you brought up earlier.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we are well because some of sorry to bring back lad Bible but it's the worst name.
Speaker 3: But well it does sound so douchey, right because like in England, lads are like bros.
Speaker 2: Like lad is like.
Speaker 3: A dude or like a like a bro kind of yeah, and so it's like basically it's bro.
Speaker 1: Bible, which I think is another website.
Speaker 2: It's strange because this is the most like heart felt, like a woman who was raised in a cult and escaped at thirty, Like you know, these harrowing stories. It's just like lad Bible. They need a brand shift, you know what I mean. Yeah, but I mean they don't need my help. They have millions of viewers. But one of the guys is like high up in the art he caught Saddam Hussein. He was on that mission, he was in that apartment, and they are He's like, I can't believe I'm getting paid for this stuff. It's my dream, Like I can't it just because of the accountant, Like I can't imagine being so good at shooting and doing action.
Speaker 3: But in real life, by the way, I'm into see I'm on season three of Slow Horses.
Speaker 2: It's so fucking.
Speaker 1: I've never even heard of Slow Horses.
Speaker 3: Slow Horses is on. It's a British show. It's on Apple and it's Gary Oldman. And why did he do our fucking show? Oh that was that Gary Cooper? No, it's Gary Coleman, right, Who's the Gary's never been on s for you? Who's the guy who's in Pineapple Express?
Speaker 2: Gary Cole, Gary Cole, Gary Cole Gary Who did you say?
Speaker 1: Gary Oldman?
Speaker 3: Who's like, oh, this motherfucker he ruins my life Gary Oldman.
Speaker 2: I every time he's in the movie Game, I go, I.
Speaker 3: Just don't remember, you know why, because he's a fucking chameleon.
Speaker 1: He never looks the fucking same. I hate it.
Speaker 2: I'm always like, can I just use Bram Stoker as Dracula?
Speaker 3: Like I hate Gary Oldman is one of the wildest, Like I bet you Gary Oldman, Like before I watch Little Horses, like, oh, I bet you he didn't come up to me and start talking to me like on the sidewalk, and.
Speaker 1: I would be like, who the fuck is this guy?
Speaker 3: Like he just you cannot remember him for some reason because he just like he really melts into his characters or whatever. He's absolutely disgusting in the show. He's like this gross. Basically the show is about really quick synopsis. Am I five in in England is like whatever the their FBI and they're like the kind of the rejects, like they're still part of it kind of, but they have their own shitty office and a shittier part of town and he's the leader of them, and he like farts all the time and eats really disgusting, like he's nasty. But he's also like kind of a genius and good at his job. Oh, and then it's about all these people that kind of fucked up at one time. They're all there in his group called Slough House, and they're trying to get out.
Speaker 1: He's in two episodes of Friends, Like, what the fuck is this dude up to?
Speaker 2: He's scary oldmans in two episodes of Friends. Yeah, Oh my god, Hannibal, he was a weirdo in that.
Speaker 1: Changes his fucking face.
Speaker 3: Like even just googling him now, I'm like, that's not what you look like in the show that I'm watching, Like he looks so and he made himself look really nasty and this like he smokes cigarettes.
Speaker 1: Oh, and like his hair looked unwashed.
Speaker 2: But real people are doing these things, and they're doing these interviews and letting us know, and it's like it's kind of crazy. There's people doing missions and taking out targets. Yeah, this show is very all that.
Speaker 3: It's very like House of Cards with like you know, they're they're killing people and making it look like this and making it look like that, and you know, the government is and the authorities are like part of it. You know.
Speaker 2: I like that we're doing a postmortem for the different episode with's more, we're like fully talking about harm.
Speaker 3: I know, no bless wit talk. I know, we're just doing a totally Wait. When you google Gary Oldman, one of the like automatic questions at the bottom is what did Gary Oldman do to Demi Moore? I was like, oh, well, I'll be clicking on this and what is it? Says he had to apologize to her for his quote unquote destructive and unprofessional behavior on the set of their nineteen ninety five film The Scarlet Letter. He was an alcoholic at the time, and he said he was in a very dark place. And I guess now he's not drinking anymore.
Speaker 1: Wow. Interesting.
Speaker 3: The Scarlet Letter was like a real bomb for Demi Moore, right, casey, No, wasn't the was, yeah, But the Scarlet Letter was when she tried to do something kind of like period and serious and people didn't take her seriously.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I didn't know that because the jury was kind of she did see her shit, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: But meg serious, like why was everyone such a hater of this gorgeous.
Speaker 2: Total misogyny, total misogyny.
Speaker 3: But I think it was like just the fact that she was trying to play It's the period of it all like going back to that those like, you know, speaking in a different way, using different like you know, I don't think people I think maybe it was the example of like Demi Moore has nineties face. You know how people are like this person has seen an iPhone, Like we can't we can't put this person in a period movie.
Speaker 1: This person has the face of someone who's seen an iPhone.
Speaker 3: Like I think that's the thing with Demi Moore is like I don't really believe Demi Moore, no matter how frumpy you make her look, was like wall Goodie back in the Scarlet Letter times.
Speaker 2: I had a friend I forgot already who But do you think mom Donnie gets botox?
Speaker 1: He's so young?
Speaker 3: I mean, not that people don't get it in their thirties, like people get it at that age because it's preventative.
Speaker 2: But why do you think? I don't think someone someone else thought. And so I'm bringing it up because they're talking about faces. They said, his smile seems bigger because his forehead's not moving.
Speaker 1: But I never noticed that.
Speaker 2: But I don't think that's something I notice.
Speaker 3: I I don't know, That's not anything I've ever noticed about him.
Speaker 1: I've never heard it before before.
Speaker 2: No oh.
Speaker 3: I did also see a subway take that I liked the other day where somebody goes, somebody goes.
Speaker 2: It was this girl.
Speaker 3: She was like, stop posting pictures of your kids with emojis over their faces. Just post the picture or saying that, and I'm like, yes, girl, Like she goes, I don't want to see a smiley face emoji with legs, and I'm like yes, Like, if you don't want to post the picture, then don't post.
Speaker 2: A picture, or like he does, the back of the body, which is fine, yeah, or the back of the head. I guess. Yeah, you have to disengage.
Speaker 1: There's a cricket in my garage right now.
Speaker 2: And because that was another subway take, like, how do we fully we need to how do we get off meta, Like, we all have to get off. They're tracking us, they know everything. They're ruining our lives. They're ruining our lives.
Speaker 3: Man, Okay, wait, let's do the post mortem of this episode. This episode is fucking insanity. It's a kidnapping, it's leukemia, it's a shootout at a bank.
Speaker 1: I mean, they really are doing a lot.
Speaker 3: What what did the guy in the episode like know that his sister had luke, Like he knew she had leukemia, and he still left her underneath a pile of garbage when they found her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, drugs really does fuck you up.
Speaker 3: I mean, like you can't even like leave your six sister propped up somewhere, Like that's so crazy to me because he believed her when she told him over the phone, like they does.
Speaker 2: Keep thinking of more lad Bible videos. I watched Oh my god, Amish I went from amish to being a stripper.
Speaker 1: You know that was well, that's a real that's a real rum spring on.
Speaker 2: That doesn't well, no, it's fucked, Like really reiterates the point of like being open with your kids because the more you seclude them, the less they know about the world and it's easier to take advantage of them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: The reason I thought of it is because she did end up gett addicted to crack. Oh god. Uh, but she's tough, she's good.
Speaker 2: It's all people have come out the other end, and that's like the whole point. Yeah, Like this child, but the dad is dead, right or do you think surgery kept him alive? You think the dad survived the gun show? I think the Dad survives.
Speaker 3: I think Melinda's pen like long excavation like worked out, even though the wiki said that she did it the wrong way. I think that the post mortem takeaway from this episode is that Melinda is a hero and should be on more, in the field more. We need her in the field more. But of course she's off the show now, but I want her back. I also feel like man bank robbery is a tough gig, Like these guys really like came in in forty pounds of fucking extra shit. Their watch is sewn onto their gloves. They timed everything out. You still can't you still can't do it. You don't get away with it, Like, I don't know. Do people get away with bank robberies a lot? No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, I'm gonna watch some lad bibles. There's some theft, there's some yeah, let's see if there's a there is. And there's a guy that escaped prison four times. I slip to watch that one.
Speaker 1: What four times? That's oh my god? Yeah.
Speaker 3: Wait, the two guys who robbed the Loop weren't hot in the end. They were hot, Oh, but fucking hot these guys. This guy wrote a song like did you see this? Like viral song that was like.
Speaker 1: The two ooh dudes who rob the loop.
Speaker 3: It was like so, but then he had to write another song that was like, Okay, these aren't the dudes who rob the loof because like he was writing this love song about how hot they were and then he's like, turned out it wasn't them. So I got this is this is where I'm getting my news, everybody. I'm getting my news from people who write songs about ice and how hot the hijackers are. I do love a hot criminal. Okay, let's move on, shall we? Should we get to what would sister Peg do? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean we barely did a post mortem on the episode, or I mean, what can we say.
Speaker 3: We're we're all on the pace. We're in and out of lad Bible. You know what we you know what we do? Love like sneaking in in a refrigerator box. That's fun.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's fun. I liked that little game they played. I like that. That was a good two guys in, two guys out, like.
Speaker 1: I love it all right?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Glad was he so awful to his sister? I know the drug stuff, but it's like, fuck you, bro.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess he probably puts all of his family problems on her because his fucking shitty mom was like, sorry, I have a do over kid that I'm gonna be working with now, and so you're out of my life. And so he probably projects all of his hatred for his mother onto this little girl who stole all of his parents love and attention. This week's what would Sister Peg Do? This is our weekly segment where we point you to a organization, a movie, a documentary and article something to give you more info about what we talked about this week. This week, we're not I don't really have any information on you know, bank robberies or to point you to, so I wanted to, in honor of Thanksgiving, appoint you guys to no Kid Hungry. This country, despite being one of the richest developed nations in the world, sadly has so many people living on the edge of hunger at all times, and this organization is dedicated to helping communities feed kids. They support school food programs, getting food to children during the summer, feeding kids at home. They also have a lot of resources for applying for snap and additional summer EBT credits and helping people get food in this time where you know our administration is trying to make it so that people starve. So to donate, head over to no kid Hungry dot org. That's no kid hungry dot org and that will be linked in our show notes as well as posted in our stories that are saved forever in our WWSPD highlights on our Instagram page, which is that's messed up, pod go follow.
Speaker 2: Us amazing and next week we'll be doing They had already disappeared from season twenty three, episode seven, Haunting.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's a very haunting app So get ready, get ready to get creeped.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, if you thought the sown eyeballs were tough, get ready for next week.
Speaker 3: But we hope you've been listening to this episode while taking a walk to get away from your family and then it's provided you some comfort and that you're smoking.
Speaker 1: You're smoking weed with.
Speaker 3: Your cousins out of an apple and having a good time. Happy Thanksgiving and good night.
Speaker 2: Gobble gobble. That's messed up, isn't it exactly? Write production?
Speaker 1: If you have.
Speaker 3: Compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it that's messed uppod at gmail dot com. Listen to That's Messed Up on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and.
Speaker 1: At Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 3: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our senior producer Casey O'Brien and our associate producer Christina Chamberlain.
Speaker 3: And to our mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and to Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork. Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media Duc dun