Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for listening to the Covino and Rich Podcast.
Speaker 2: Be sure to catch us live every weekday from five to seven Eastern to the four Pacific on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Find your local station for Comedo Rich.
Speaker 2: At Foxsports Radio dot com, or stream us live every day on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: It's like searching FSR.
Speaker 2: All right now, Danny g just told us, our executive producer said, we'll give out aprons to the best caller, So start calling out eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox if you want to contribute to the early websites you were visiting back in the day that kids today will never know about the games you played eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox because on this day, nineteen ninety one, the World Wide Web debuted. Now, we didn't have access to that most of us, maybe at your school or at the library, and then eventually late nineties you went to work. Now, we're not asking for all the smutty websites you visited unless you want to talk about that too.
Speaker 1: That's fine.
Speaker 2: Crussels off my list, But you know, hey, give us a call on Figure it out Together, Old Schooling and fifty hits plus. You gotta talk Coco Goffin, Morris Cavino and rich on Fox Sports Radio and a lot of NFL I do have to get there's a forty nine ers ram story because that is your Australia game mate week one of the NFL.
Speaker 1: So are we going or what? I would love to go? Come on, I need to get out of here.
Speaker 2: But you know what, that's the day that's around the same time as when you and I plan on going to the Mets Yankees for the twenty fifth anniversary nine to eleven.
Speaker 1: So so I'm gone all September.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, tell everyone beat it, see it. There are so many great memories from the early days of the internet, but I don't know about you. You know, when I was a kid, I cared about sports. I kid about girls. I cared about baseball cards. When I had those friends that were into computers, I bet poorly. I was like, yeah, I don't need to learn that like I was. I was not the little youngster that was like, let me learn computers. I was the guy that's like, nah, no, thanks. Did you ever get an email? I didn't have an email addressin Dull College. Same and I went to college in the late nineties. I get my email. I just to me was like it, I don't know. I bet poorly. I was like, this ain't gonna catch on. You don't ended up benefiting me. I took typing in high school and who knew that would you know, end up benefiting us because we would be there sitting on a computer computer for all those years. But I do remember loving Oregon Trail number and word munchers and you.
Speaker 4: Mean orgon trail. What I say, Oregon?
Speaker 2: Is that how you say no, no Oregon Trail, organ Trail, Organ trail or Oregon the organ trail trail. All right, well, let me give you my memories right trail, and then we'll go to the phones. I was just talking to Mike who runs this place, you know, Holdstone Mic. Never heard of him, cold Stone Mic. He was just here and he brought up something that I was going to bring up anyway. So I'm like, Wow, more people know about this than just me in the early or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, howd not dot com.
Speaker 2: Mike said he got a four point two right going there?
Speaker 4: Now it was nine point on that Jersey website with all the guys with the deep tank.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, what was the name of that one?
Speaker 4: Eyebrows.
Speaker 2: No, no, but in the early days of like computers again, worldwide Web started this day in ninety one, but early computer days I never rooted harder pun intended.
Speaker 1: For my buddy. This is like great school days.
Speaker 2: He had a Commodore sixty four, like this is pre internet though, and you'd be sitting there in your grade school sweatpants like a pilgrim with the socks pulled up real high, and he'd be playing Commodore sixty four strip poker, and dude, I'd be rooting for him to win so bad because you get some pixelated you know, nudity, and you're like, yeah, buddy, And Mike said he used to play that all the time. Well that doesn't dude, you know what I was like, my buddy had that, I would, I'd be so like, yeah, come on, let's go. So the early games, the early websites, now on that same note, because all these great things are usually used for evil in perversion. I used to play a game this is now, this is worldwide Web days. Okay, this is late nineteen hundreds, early two thousands. There was a game. I bring this up all the time, Rich, so you know this, I know this. There was a website called the romp dot com the romp dot com right, and there was like an interactive choose your own adventures.
Speaker 1: I love that site, man.
Speaker 2: So my friends would be sending me like links to like rotten dot com and banged Up dot Com. I'd be on the romp dot com right because there was a game on there and it was called Jake's Booty Call. And on this game, you remember, right, right, Jake's Boy Call. So Jake was this guy and he had spiky hair, and Jake would be at like a club in the nineteen hundred is like, all right, Jake sees a hot blonde to the left in a hot brunette on the right, and you have to make the call for Jake, and depending on the moves you make is whether or not you get the booty at the end of the night. Three days called ja Pooty Call, and it was so much fun. It was one of my first favorite games that I played when Internet became a thing and readily available and accessible to us in the late nineteen hundreds early two thousands. So on this day, what are those early games and early websites. Remember when we started our show fark dot com is where we would go and get to do all our prep. Yeah, Fark was a big one.
Speaker 5: It was.
Speaker 2: It was a website that consolidated all the main headlines. Cool, yeah, from all the websites. I remember we would ask Jeeves. Yeah, poor guy, No one's asking them anything anymore. So what are those memories for you? I got one because kids, unless they go into the way back machine online, they'll never see this stuff.
Speaker 1: I got one.
Speaker 2: And it's really interesting because during the break, unintentionally, subconsciously, you said something to me and it hit Sure.
Speaker 1: You said, Netflix just announced.
Speaker 4: This is wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Netflix just made an announced. Yo, you know what you're gonna like this, Ryan, because you're a big gamer. GTA six gameplay will be exclusively shown on netflit for six hours, so they're gonna give you an extended look. You get to watch gameplay of the longly anticipated GTA system in late August August twenty seventh. Interestingly enough, I remember my college roommate had a sweet computer set up and he was into gaming on his computer. This is I said, like ninety eight ninety nine, freshman in college, and my roommate introduced me to the original Do you remember the first ever Grand Theft Auto like the first ever. Like the graphics like now it's like a you know, looks like a movie, but back then it was not complex at all.
Speaker 1: It was actually so a week but it was awesome.
Speaker 2: You look up the original graphics and you'll be shocked to be like, oh, that's right, that's what the original GTA looked like. And I remember thinking like, yo, this is really cool. So I remember that was a long way. It's a couple of long hell.
Speaker 1: Of a long way.
Speaker 4: So oh that is wild?
Speaker 2: Right do you remember now when you look at it, right, it's two D graphics? So what games were you playing? What websites were you go into?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 2: Where are your go tos? Think about that because how often do we even go to remember it was like the overhead caven. I remember the like that look that GTA? Yeah, yeah, I do remember that. Let's go to the phones and say what's up? Yeah, load to get super interactive and the best call Danny Gill. Decide he'll hook you up with a summer prize pack of a Covin own rich Apron and cooozies and some fun stuff.
Speaker 4: It's a grill and Apron that way when you're a man in the grill, that's right. You can have CNRS faces yeah, junk gazing.
Speaker 2: Junk level, that's right, and you could be the man. So eight seven seven ninety nine on Fox, Who do we got Danny?
Speaker 4: Let's start n Neil Passo with Jared the Passo.
Speaker 3: What up?
Speaker 4: Jared?
Speaker 6: Hey, how's it going?
Speaker 4: Amy?
Speaker 6: So my memories of the Internet back in the nineties was a dial up sound of an annoying sound that you would get whenever you were trying to log in from my go to websites where the Aol chat rooms, no doubt, wait to get home from high school. I could not wait to get home from high school so I can hop into the chat rooms.
Speaker 2: Dude, it would be asl age sex location. Let's chat it up. Who could you, you know, have a conversation with? Who could you finagle over your place late at night? Cavino was haunted by that door closing sound effect. How many people just dissed them? But he's right.
Speaker 4: Do you know Big Mike still uses his Aol email?
Speaker 1: Betty?
Speaker 6: Does?
Speaker 1: I bet he?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I bet he still pays too.
Speaker 2: First, I remember, I remember the revelation that I went over my mom's bills with her. I'm sure a lot of people as their parents get older, like AOL was the really we need paying for it? I went over my mom's bills. I'm like, you're still paying for my mom was paying for.
Speaker 1: AOL within the last decade.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: I saw some comedian do a bit recently. I'll try to give him props later, but he was something saying something wrong. Wise, how did they put the Internet on CD back in the day that you do put the Internet on CD? Let me tell him the miracle was online. Let me tell an embarrassing story. I'll call my brother. He deserves some love and fun make fun of. Once in a while, I was away at college and I get a call from my mom. Ritchie, Yeah, what's uping, Mom? The computer's not working. It's like our first home computer, like a big gas computer. You know you bought that. Remember I one had that same like nineteen nineties computer desk that had like all the shelves to the left in the right, like it was like the same, the same exact des desk.
Speaker 1: We all had. And then I had a Hewlett Packard probably I actually forget.
Speaker 4: The bottom of it had a layer of dust.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my mom calls me, like, computer's not working, Richie, I don't know what to do. And at the time, the move was called the Geek Squad at Best Buy. Remember like they they had like nerds on standby that would then't you just have them saved in your phone as the squad because you were you were down with them, that rich party with him. So the goon Squad, geek squad, coon squad comes over the house and.
Speaker 1: Sells out my brother. You know what the goon Squad is.
Speaker 2: I feel like if we made a movie, like, we didn't have the rights for the Geek Squad, so we called it the goon Squad.
Speaker 1: My my mom calls me and she's like, Ritchie, I want to believe the smut your brother's looking at.
Speaker 2: And my mom starts lift listing off all these websites that my brother was looking to.
Speaker 1: Say, a lot of Asian delivery porn.
Speaker 2: My mom's like, the one that we always sad it's still a family joke. Twenty five years later, she's.
Speaker 8: Like, and he looked up some pornography that I had to do with delivery guys. And to this day, to this day, like my brother is in his forties, he can't escape the fact that we're like Jimmy is still like a delivery let. Us were using it to chat and to explore things like Rich's brother, and to get music illegally, the Lime Wires, the Airy Piazaz, the napsters, spending hours of you know, downloading illegal music and videos and things like that.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, how did you make your Yeah? I was gonna say, how you make your mix CDs without it?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: How about before MySpace? Do you remember geo cities?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: But kids, I remember kids in the nineties would build their own little personal website.
Speaker 1: Hey, yeah, I do remember that. Yeah, Nadie you mentioned it. Yeah, I do.
Speaker 2: And you know, by the way they're saying, my Space is coming back. Yeah, so hey, we'll see what happened.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Do we have room for another social media I don't know. I did like MySpace? All right, let's go to the phones.
Speaker 4: Yeah, hot, and they're jumping.
Speaker 2: You know, Danny Ryan, anyone want to chime in with Rich? It's it's definitely hot.
Speaker 4: Okay, Let's let's go to up beautiful upstate New York. JP.
Speaker 1: Hey, JJP, Hey, how you guys doing.
Speaker 5: Hey listen, I was one of the original first owners of a Commodore sixty four, and then it went to the one twenty eight and I still got it with all those games they had, and they were pretty good.
Speaker 1: Did you play?
Speaker 5: A friend of mine college he got a job with AOL when it was brand new and they needed one hundred people to sign up to be guinea pigs, and I did. And then, uh, the first search I did on a search engine was DeLorean because I was in the car business too, and I wanted to, you know, the Deloreent came out and guess what came up, John Deloreent, cocaine arrest. But anyway, when you were mentioning the games, tears came out of the game called Pong, and you could buy it from Sears. It was ninety nine dollars and ninety five cents. I went to the store, I got the first one that they hadn't stocked. They only had three, and uh, it was one you put on your own TV and it was just time. And then of course the bars came out with the pac Man and and Space Invaders and things like that, and I just really, that's.
Speaker 2: That's pong led right today, I have the twenty six hundred rafter that this guy, this guy's going old school. I always found it interesting that even today, you would think, because everyone's so interested in buying technology and immediately using it and opening it, you ever noticed that like those people that have this weird instinct to keep like one of the originals still wrapped, like the first iPhone, even the first the first commodoor. These are like million dollar items now at auctions like un you know, unboxed, unwrapped, still sealed. You would think that now you would be buying stuff insane. I'm gonna keep it sealed, but we still we don't have the instinct to do it. That dude, he he was old school. He was like one of the ogs. His you remembers his first search, like, what do you think yours was?
Speaker 1: Although, what was that's name?
Speaker 4: JP?
Speaker 1: Only pony?
Speaker 2: He was JP at aol dot com? Like he didn't, Yeah, like wow, what a fun fact. Let's ask him J first search?
Speaker 4: JP? What was your first email address?
Speaker 5: Kay Glenville at aol dot com? And you know what, I still got it and it was number thirty six that AOL had.
Speaker 1: You know what, I'm gonna feel like we should. I'm gonna send you a junk shot.
Speaker 4: Right now, I'm going to send him a grill and aprons. That is impressive. That's impressive that he still uses his old AOL JP hang on the line.
Speaker 2: Okay, thank you, buddy. That is crazy to think that appreciate you. That you know, like every time, you know, when you try to think of a username and it's like it's been used, there's someone that has, like Danny at aol dot com.
Speaker 4: That's why so many people have numbers after your name.
Speaker 2: Is that why you go by Genberger sixty nine, Guenberger Davis sixty nine. Don't tell everyone my old AOL all right, so look back at the phone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, let's go to Terry in Saint Louis.
Speaker 5: Back it up, Terry, Hey, Terry, Hey, guys, looks up Terry here in Saint Louis.
Speaker 9: It's a birthday. Yeah, hey, happy birthday, Steve.
Speaker 10: Do you guys remember that website ami Hot or Not dot com of course.
Speaker 5: Where the people who uploaded their picks and you rated like the girls on a one to ten of course?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely that that was definitely a thing that was pre MySpace, I think even pre Friends through Days and yeah, completely remember that one that that's a famous.
Speaker 1: One, yeah, is it?
Speaker 2: Why when you watch uh no social or too though, Like because I worked at a radio station when that was the thing too. It's like when people started uploading your photos and other people's photos they worked with, it was like it became really weird. But if you watch the social network, isn't it crazy to think that Zuckerberg was just a college kid that's connected the dots on all this stuff, like, hey, people are interested. I remember again not the date ourselves and me in my forties, I remember going to college and they would hand out a freshman book of people's pictures, like a Facebook of like, hey, here's the freshman class so in case you bump into someone, here is.
Speaker 1: Like a you know, essentially like a pre yearbook.
Speaker 4: How about nowadays we're so spoiled with all of the radio shows having their own YouTube channels. Do you remember in the late nineties when radio stations first got their webcams in the studio and you could stream the radio station audio on your little computershakers.
Speaker 1: Their own website.
Speaker 2: Finally, you know, you could see who was on the air, you could see That's when you started seeing these you know what these idiots looked like for the first time, you couldn't you couldn't hide behind us. That's handsome, Dan, Yeah, you couldn't be like, ooh, I'm Hollywood Jackson.
Speaker 1: And then you're like, yeah, Lama.
Speaker 2: Hollywood Jackson looks like that, right, So everything changed as a result. Again, if you just joined us the night guy, I I have a question for you. So Worldwide Web debuted in ninety one, but of course we had computers in the eighties. Even in late seventies computers existed. Worldwide Web, however, ninety one was the first time. Yeah you could access then we didn't get it at home till the late nineties.
Speaker 1: We know all that.
Speaker 2: So we're asking what are those early websites and games you played on the computer that kids will never know this day? Were looking up sports, like do you guys remember like you're like the early like dead Spins, but like, were there earlier ones that you remember to access sports back in the day?
Speaker 4: I mean I I had an ESPN cell phone. Do you remember this?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Of course, But I'm like thinking, like, what was your first Like I'll go check right now. Was it just our team dot com? Let see Yankees dot com? It's kind of wild because I don't remember how we would access that. We were we still like just watching Sports Center all the time, reading the box sport. That's why the Sports Center did have more pullback then because you were waiting. But dB, what do you remember we're looking at?
Speaker 11: Well, I was gonna say, first of all, do you remember ESPN dot go dot com?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 11: Yeah, like because of the sponsors, so you had to type in dot go dot com. I remember that, good buddy Ben Maller would have the gathering of all the stories. I feel like Ben was you guys were talking about the fark site or whatever it was.
Speaker 4: I like Benmallard dot com.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Benmallard dot com was one of the one of the earlier, you know, to do something like that.
Speaker 1: It was like TMZ sports. Did he ever cash it?
Speaker 4: No matter know, No, he said that he was doing it ten years too early.
Speaker 1: Oh he could. He was the guy that did that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because later Jason McIntyre, for instance, came along with the big lead and sold that for a lot of money. So Ben Maller could have done the same thing had it been ten years later in time.
Speaker 1: He was no way. That sucks for malor Well, you know what.
Speaker 2: It's sort of like it's like Kevin know and I joke that good looking women in like the nineties and two thousands missed out on being like a hot influencerho had brand deals because there's a lot of good looking, you know, talented women that that monetized social media. Women of the nineties and two thousands must hate that, have they have to? I don't remember how we were accessing sports information back then. I really don't, honestly. That's why you've probably watched it. Yeah, probably still just watching it. That's why I watched ESPN Sports and over and over and over. Worldwide Web debuted on this day, nineteen ninety one. WW.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you say that now, it sounds like you're a dinosaur.
Speaker 4: Once in a while you'll still hear it and somebody's commercial and you're like, that's weird.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Www, you using Netskit Navigator? What are you using?
Speaker 5: Me?
Speaker 4: I don't know what do we got. Let's go back to the phones here. How about Josh and Idaho?
Speaker 3: Hey, Josh, Hey, guys, how you doing.
Speaker 1: What's up? Buddy?
Speaker 3: Hey? I got an early one, early two thousands, kind of late nineteen ninety nine, but I remember my granddad got the IMACG three, a big blue one where it was just like the monitor and the computer was built into it, and there was an old game on there called Mortimer. I remember me and my brother playing so much all the time, and that's just an old memory I got.
Speaker 2: That's awesome, dude. Like when it came to actual computer games, I didn't play a lot of them. I'm trying to remember. You member of your computer would come with like weak ass games.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 2: It's interesting everyone here is roughly around the same age. If you're in your forties, you have a unique perspective. I was always a console guy. It's the only generation. If you were born I would say roughly around nineteen eighty, you have this unique perspective of growing up without the internet really at all. Then there were glimpses of it towards the end of high school, but it still wasn't a factor in your life. Then all of a sudden, college soda hit and you made this transition to like you had an email address, you were looking things up online.
Speaker 1: But we're at nerd stuff.
Speaker 2: But we're a generation that grew up doing book reports with encyclopedias and microfiche and stuff like that, and then by the time you're out of college, everyone was using the computer. It really is a unique perspective because the generation are kids that we're raising now don't know a world without any of this, and our parents knew most of their life without it. The sentiment of some kids today saying they can't imagine writing a book report, ten thousand word book report without AI, and the comment back it was actually one of our listeners was like, we would write a ten thousand book report without even reading the.
Speaker 1: Book let alone. AI. It was a skill. Yeah, it was a skill to bs you're wearing through that report. I want everyone to raise their.
Speaker 2: Hand if you faked a work sited sheet or bibliography, what everybody?
Speaker 1: And thank God for Cliff's notes.
Speaker 2: Even a man of integrity like you would do a book report you like, I guess I have to list these sources.
Speaker 1: It taught us how to be they were like faking that.
Speaker 11: At the end, I remember I had a book. It was an annual tradition. The sugar bowl used to be at nights on New Year's New Year's Night, and we'd have to go back to school on the second. I would have done no homework over Christmas night. So somehow during the Sugar Bowl, I'm supposed to cram through two hundred pages of a book. I had a book report due on like the sixty seven Packers, And while I my whole book report was just the results, like I knew that they won. I have no idea what happened in between. But to the point of of like cheating and faking. Absolutely, I just wrote what they beat the Bears, and they you know that to beat the Cowboys?
Speaker 1: How's the skill? Yes?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? For sources. Yeah, we would make up fake names of authors and titles of books that didn't exist.
Speaker 2: Dude, anytime is it true? I mean we all work in the sports world now, But isn't it funny how anytime you had the opportunity to do something sports related for a book report or project.
Speaker 1: You would jump at it.
Speaker 2: You know, like with you you have to do a biography and you just Mickey Mantle, Jackie Robinson like you would.
Speaker 1: You would never I didn't want a Magic John.
Speaker 4: I did one on Babe Roof. Yeah, when I was in elementary school.
Speaker 2: All that stuff is that when you realize he was imaginary or no, no, I thought he was real at the time PCI. Sorry, so early websites, early video games that you played on the computer, basically right eight seven seven ninety nine, O Fox, Well, let's go rapid fire winners here.
Speaker 4: Let's go to Las Vegas.
Speaker 1: Todd Hey, Todd, he fellas Hey.
Speaker 9: First of all, the guy with AOL address is not telling the truth, because every guy's first search involved the word boobs.
Speaker 1: He searched delareon I'm nus.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and then the next there were two I'm taking back to computer lab days middle school and high school. You had to know they were there because they weren't part of any curriculum. There was a first generation multiplayer game called Scorched Earth, where you have multiple people shooting missiles and stuff at each other's castles on all these different heels. And the other one was a little seedier. It looked like Mario in a leisure suit. Was called leisure Suit Larry.
Speaker 1: He walked around Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 9: Trying to score right, like wow and everything else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that unlocks a memory, Todd, hang on the line, We're gonna get a great one.
Speaker 1: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: And we worked with a dude at SERA six that called him his radio name was leisure based on that great great call Man Great call and some fun memories. And it is wild though unless our kids the when you'll see a documentary about this stuff, they'll never really know.
Speaker 1: You could tell them about it, but yeah, you know, they're not going.
Speaker 2: To know what it was like, or what it or the excitement it was for us to experience this.
Speaker 1: It's hard. It's hard to really grasp something.
Speaker 2: If you weren't there like the same way you might, you'll never understand what it was really like when JFK got killed and we landed on the moon. If you weren't alive, we don't know. You don't you can't really figure it out or get that feeling.
Speaker 1: No, but they'll never know.
Speaker 2: Having information, you know, without encyclopedia is on a computer like that was all new to all of us. Oh, could I give you an early Internet memory, not a game or a site, Danny, The idea of someone in your house picking up the phone all of a sudden you get kicked off or that was always I think younger youngsters, as you say, I don't even know if they realized that you couldn't be on the phone and the computer at the same time.
Speaker 4: No, you might as well be speaking in French when you try.
Speaker 1: To America is online. Man, All right, let's go through it quick.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we got one more for now then I'm going to reset all the lines there melting so really good topic today. Thanks for all the calls. JP, by the way, call back because of all the phone calls, he's got a call back in for his prize trip trip in Vegas right now.
Speaker 1: Sure trip.
Speaker 10: Hey guys, a great conversation. Thank you for my grilling aperns. I'll send you a picture in me and it just doing some different type of grilling. Oh, thanks for my rich will love that.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 10: And then back in the day, how about Mana Zuma's Revenge Castle, Wolfenstein? Maybe, uh, Rollercoaster Tycoon? Were games you played? And of course, asked Jeeves, was the first thing I really used on a computer?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that you know.
Speaker 2: I think at one point they were trying to revive Oh no, what it was. It was like a year.
Speaker 1: Within the last months.
Speaker 2: Asked Jeeves officially shut down first search engine. I believe, I believe I'm going to Google that right now, but then it turned into ask But the reality is within the last two months, Danny, for a fact, I remember seeing the headline, like, after all these years, they've officially apparently first internet search engine was something called Archie created nineteen ninety. But yeah, Jeeves, is this is my first memory of a go to for sure?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember my mom going to the Netflix website no way back in the day.
Speaker 1: That's so funny.
Speaker 2: You know what, We're gonna take the rest of your feedback more Covin on Rich next on a throwback Thursday, Old school and fifty hits, and we'll get some some NFL stuff next right here on Fox Sports Radio. Now, if you work in logistics, you know one thing, nothing moves without you, and right now, companies everywhere are looking for skilled people who can keep their supply chains running strong. So find your next job through Express Employment Pros. At Express Employment Pros, logistics is in just another career field. It's a specialty from warehouse associates and forklift operators to shipping and receiving CDL drivers, inventory coordinators and more. Express connects you with roles that keep businesses moving. Go to expresspros dot com www expresspros dot com to find a location near you and give them a call. Yeah, whether you're looking to get the foot in the door, or you need contract.
Speaker 1: Roles or full time workers.
Speaker 2: Express find you a job where you're skis, fit your experience and that matters. And the best part with Express there's never any fees for job seekers. So if you're ready for your next shift, your next challenge, or your next big move, let Express help you find the logistics that fits you. Visit expresspros dot com today. Stop searching alone, get support, get options, and get to work.
Speaker 8: Hey, it's Rob Parker and Kelvin Washington from The Odd Couple on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 13: And in addition to hearing us live weeknights from seven to ten pm Eastern on Fox Sports Radio, we are excited to announce brand new YouTube channel for the show.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: You can now watch The Odd Couple live on YouTube every day.
Speaker 13: All you gotta do search Odd Couple FSR on YouTube Again YouTube, Just search Odd Couple FSR. Check us out on YouTube and subscribe.
Speaker 2: I hope I don't die of dysentery. Hold on, only hunt for Bison with my Space bar. I hope that Bison flips you in the air like that old guy. Otherwise Oregon Trail and Off the Air. Danny g and I are talking about the early days of like grade school and Macintosh computers, the logo program where you would just send her enter commands, and like they were.
Speaker 4: Teaching us how to be little computer programmers.
Speaker 2: For I grew up in the East Coast. Danny g grew up in Silicon Valley, so he had access to more of these. For a lot of us, it wasn't the curriculum you had to be in like after school computer club, and you know, it was some nerd stuff just to even get your hands on a computer.
Speaker 4: One cool thing is my family was La to the Bay, back to LA, up to the Bay, back to La eight different times we moved. But when we were in the Bay, we'd go into the library at the school. In the library was sponsored by Macintosh. How cool is that they had the dopest Macintoshes that were out at the time. In rows. There'd be like four classes and they're all doing computer programming, and it would like print out the image of an apple from all your computer programming.
Speaker 2: So nineteen ninety one, on this day, the World Wide Web began. On this day ninety one, we asked you the early websites, the early games, the early things you remember and for now you could either leave us a comment at coven on Rich FSR or just set us up at Covin and Rich on social media or at Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 1: Let's go rapid fire.
Speaker 2: Then we'll end with some fun NFL stuff and a quote from Coco GoF tennis star Cocoa GoF, I think she sums up one of the most controversial sports topics right now perfectly, and we'll explain.
Speaker 1: So let's let's rapid fire.
Speaker 4: All right, Ashton, He's in Downy and socol what I'm in.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 14: So, my dad was an elementary school teacher when all this was coming out, and being the kid I got stuck with my dad. I was at one school with him where we had those old Macintosh computers with the ninth like huge floppy disc. And then he got put in the new school and the new school got sponsored by I want to say it was IBM, but we got a whole bunch of the brand new stuff. Windows ninety five came on them, and I will never forget playing for hours and hours on the stupid paint program where you didn't get colors, but you gotta put your black and white squares in the little box and then you minimize it and you get all your different color shades are gray.
Speaker 1: That was cool. I remember what you're talking about, Danny. Interestingly enough, thank you man.
Speaker 2: I think I saw a clip on the BuzzFeed or bunk feed or something where in early two thousands websites. But I mean it still exists, but now it became like eye rolling. But back when it was closed feed to bunk feed because it was a cool website, they were showing kids and you know they always show kids old technology, and they're like, what's Yeah, what's this? All these kids didn't know what at actual disc was.
Speaker 1: To them. It's like it was the real life version of the save symbol. Oh right, they don't know.
Speaker 2: They don't notice a disc, they know what it's like. Oh my god, you somehow created.
Speaker 1: Say It's like.
Speaker 4: They only saw a little icon.
Speaker 1: To them, Wait, someone made the save icon? How cool? Yeah that's fine.
Speaker 4: All right, let's go to Missouri. Kyle.
Speaker 1: Can you feel that floppy disc in your hand?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I said disc? All right, who do we got?
Speaker 4: What's Kyle?
Speaker 1: Kyle?
Speaker 15: This a little bit later, but uh, the first iterations of fantasy football before the wide adaptation of smartphones, you.
Speaker 9: Had to go to ESPN and they did not have live scoring.
Speaker 15: You had to wait until the next day to find out how your fantasy football team did, or you could pay an additional fee and you could get the live scoring.
Speaker 1: See that's that's the OG.
Speaker 2: That's like, uh, that's old school, Dan Buyer and he was talking to Monsei and there having an update. How well, Dan, do you remember the OG days of fantasy football where ESPN had you had to wait to find out how you did.
Speaker 11: Yeah, I remember watching NFL primetime and filling out some of the box scores because they would only show the certain stats of players and then you'd have to fill it out when the paper came, you know, the next morning.
Speaker 2: But is simply in our lifetime from like very little games on TV to if you did gamble or play fantasy sports, you look at box scores the next day, to now you could be at your kid's game, watching multiple games on your phone with live updates of every half of point in fantasy football.
Speaker 1: It's wild.
Speaker 2: But yeah, we're so spoiled with our access, but we were okay back then.
Speaker 1: We didn't didn't know any better.
Speaker 11: Certain games didn't make the paper because they were too late.
Speaker 1: Dude, We're so spoiled with you know, Wi Fi and the internet.
Speaker 2: If you don't have your Wi Fi and an airplane for like ten minutes, you get angry. I just got back from the East Coast and the Wi Fi it takes a little while. I was like, so frustrated. What's wild is you guys grew up on the West Coast, dB in the Midwest. But Danny, you never lived a life where you got the newspaper the next day and some scores are imprinted.
Speaker 1: It just said late games.
Speaker 4: Yeah, dog, I never saw that.
Speaker 1: Lake Lake game. Just that you accepted it.
Speaker 4: All right, Let's wrap these calls up a couple more here North Carolina will Hey, well, all right.
Speaker 16: I've got a couple of points here. Think it back to nineteen ninety six. I'm in seventh grade, Dude, I had a fire or Geo City's website.
Speaker 1: He told you of.
Speaker 16: A ton of Chips challenge, Mike Stewart body boarding. I was before Kelly Slater on PlayStation. And then I got actually suspended from school for a week because I affected our entire uh middle school computer lab with a virus for showing my whole class the White House website before the DC uh you know, got got you know, fully adapted to uh to the to the Internet, and then.
Speaker 9: Was like, wow, hit your website.
Speaker 2: Since you see like a little troublemaker. Let's get this guy, Let's get this, Let's get this.
Speaker 4: Bozo and like them, Will hang on the line. We'll get just seeing our summer price back. Thank you man, Thanks, well that was awesome. Well Will's causing trouble back then? All right, and before we get to DB's update here calling in New York. Wrapped this up.
Speaker 1: Hey Colin, YO, what's up?
Speaker 7: That is so awesome. You guys were talking to that guy, talked about leasures, Sue Larry. We were just talking about leaders soon Larry at the place I work. I work at this pizza shop. This is Italian restaurant, Michaelangelo's and Binghamton, And you know we were aprons, man. I was hoping to get April too. I mean I used to play Leaders Soulera on my brother's computer. I mean, you know that'suf came out of like eighty eight Denny.
Speaker 2: I got dumped by my freshman year high school girlfriend when we went to college.
Speaker 1: She went to Binghamton give this guy an apron. Came him an April.
Speaker 2: You get an apron? Thanks like Oprah. All right, call in and qualify for an apron. Leave a nice comment wherever you stream your podcast on Apple Podcasts, say something nice. All right, thank you, Colin Hank Tight and let's go to Dan Bayer for an update.
Speaker 1: We got and Rich up da guys.
Speaker 4: Big news in the NFL.
Speaker 11: We'll get to that in the second. But in baseball, the Cubs were stiming by Dylan Cees today for seven innings.
Speaker 4: The Blue Jay's pitchers druck out ten.
Speaker 11: However, with two outs in the bottom of the ninth inning and the Cubs trailing to nothing, Alex Bregman came to the plate with a runner on and the pitch.
Speaker 1: Trail in the air. That field down the line. That bark is going to be a fair ball.
Speaker 16: A fair ball.
Speaker 1: That's a home run. That's a home run. The ball game is tied.
Speaker 11: You heard it land in the basket of Wrigley Field, and that tied the game up at two apiece on the Cubs radio network. And then in the bottom of the eleventh, it's.
Speaker 2: Not a ton of turk ice, it's a wild crow takes to the store cots.
Speaker 7: When the ball game cots.
Speaker 2: When Crow Armstrong, he's making a case for MVP.
Speaker 11: Really is They scored another run.
Speaker 4: It was the game winner.
Speaker 11: Three to two was the final again Cubs Radio Network dustin May one as Brewer's debut. They beat the Pirates today five to two, Angels dropped the Orioles four to one. Rich Your Mets beat the Guardians thirteen to six, and the Reds got past the A's at six to five. Tiger's taking it to the Mariners right now in the ninth inning eight to nothing. Phillies up early on the Nationals two to one in the bottom of the second Jimior gives the highest paid running back now in NFL history.
Speaker 4: Lines gave him a three year extension.
Speaker 11: We're seventy five point seventy five million dollars a guarantee of fifty one and a half million, topping the deal signed by Jon Robinson. Yesterday, Colton running back Jonathan Taylor agreed to terms on a two year extension. That deal could be worth up to forty seven million dollars. No practice for Josh Jacobs and the Packers today set out with a groin injury well Buccaneers GM Jason light wad In on Vita Veas trade request.
Speaker 12: Yeah, we love Vita. We've we've been engaged with his agent recently. Don't want to I don't know how it's going to end, but we've been engaged and that's that's at least some progress.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well, i'd also said it's a possibility they used the franchise tag on Baker Mayfield next offseason, despite Mayfield not getting that extension.
Speaker 2: Back to you, Thanks, Dan Byer, have a great night, but enjoy NFL preseason Hall of Fame game. We'll talk a little NFL next and again a quote for Cocoa GoF I just want to throw out there because I feel like she said, Of nails it when it comes to transgender folks in sports.
Speaker 1: So we'll get to that and more next. Right here, canve you known? Rich?
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the CNR Show NFL preseason Thursday, Cardinals Panthers tonight live from the Fox Sports Radio Studio. And if you work in logistics, you know nothing moves without you. Companies need skilled people.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Express Employment Pros can help you find contract or full time work that fits at no cost to you. So visit expresspros dot com, Get support, get options, get to work, and time to get that financial portfolio game day ready with wee bowl. Get started with investing tools, real time data, all on one platform. Get started right now by downloading the wee bol app today or visiting we bowl dot com.
Speaker 4: We both Financial LLC member SIPC FEN Investing, involve Risk.
Speaker 1: For more information, visit wheeple dot com Slash disclosures.
Speaker 2: All right now, we're not gonna get to everything we wanted to today, so let me just let you know on over Promised our bonus pod that we're doing about ten minutes, Episode one fifty new episode now uncensored, a lot of fun. We are going to talk about Mets picture, the viral sensation Jeffrey Young, the guy that jumped on the pictures now like a maniac, Like, ah.
Speaker 1: Is this awesome? Or get at it? I just saw an update.
Speaker 2: Tops has already made a card highlighting that moment. So picture celebrating the newest action hero. We'll explain and relationships around football season. We make sense of it on over Promise. It starts in ten minutes right here on our YouTube page. Live so join the live chat at Covino and Rich FSR on YouTube, and of course the NFL kicks off tonight and we couldn't be more excited just because now Danny life changes, right, It's just like a life changer.
Speaker 1: Yeah about I'm gonna watch quarterbacks at the whole.
Speaker 2: Hard Knocks after that, speaking of life changing football, this week, Chiefs no longer this was a headline, Chiefs no longer g e h a field.
Speaker 1: They're back to Arrowhead Stadium. Oh yeah, Dan Buyer said that.
Speaker 2: Yes, no, I know, but who ever called it? There was never that was a field. Never this this this story is like it's back to Arrowhead. You mean, like, did anyone ever really make the switch?
Speaker 1: That's really what I'm getting.
Speaker 4: At, Like how we still call it Staples Center?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean yeah, the sponsor sometimes is more irrelevant, but they want to Arrowhead. But yeah, a lot of fun stuff on over promise. But I did say there was a Cocoa Goff message that I thought was I really think it was the best she sums up transgender folks in sports, And I thought this was really interesting because you know, anytime an athlete to ask these questions, people are just what waiting for them to say?
Speaker 1: What something they could jump at right. Yeah, and Cocoa Goff said.
Speaker 2: People are waiting to jump on whatever you're about to say, too, right, I only got two minutes, That's what I couldn't care less. But I think, you know, she makes a lot of good points in a simple statement. It's almost like it was crafted with chatchipt or something. She says, I understand the reasoning behind what people are trying to do. I do think this kind of conversation has created a lot of animosity towards the trans community, which I'm not a big fan of. But I also understand the biological difference and the need to protect and preserve that. So I think it's a conversation that is very nuanced, and I need to have a nuanced answer like that. And how could one answer a question better than that? No one should be coming down on the trans community, but to say, but I also think perhaps biological men that are now trans should not necessarily be involved in women's sports. Can you give a more polished answer than that.
Speaker 1: No, it's a fair answer, too fair and balanced.
Speaker 2: I don't know how anyone can have an opposition to that answer. So Coco got, Coco got, Coco got for putting that in chat GPT, I thank you for I feel like everyone's answer.
Speaker 1: We have that answer in our back pocket and when it ever comes.
Speaker 2: Up and they're baiting everyone and every sport, every sport, Danny g. You know that at a podium that that question is being thrown out.
Speaker 4: Yeah, every athlete's publicist and PR company should have this on standby.
Speaker 2: And if you don't answer, some people are coward and if you do, they're like jerk.
Speaker 1: You know, it's who things could be true.
Speaker 2: We always say that, so you know, there's two signs to this story that are true. But and she hit both of them. The reality the source matters to some people just don't like you, Coco. Coco GoF saying this is like all right, yeah.
Speaker 1: But you know what, we accept it. I'll say this she uh. I think.
Speaker 2: I think nuance is the best word. So many people find the complex issue and it doesn't need to be trans in sports. It could be anything, right, But so many times the answer which is not a simple yes or no or I agree to disagree. Sometimes the answer is more complex than that, and you take a SoundBite and it's never gonna truly explain that what you're feeling. My take from this is, honestly, try to recite and remember that answer, and you always got one on standby. I always got it in your pocket. I'm gonna print that with cocoa goff set and we'll put that on backtime.
Speaker 1: Memorize it and have it on standby.
Speaker 2: Listen, have a great night, enjoy your kickoff to the NFL season gets from now until Valentine's Day.
Speaker 1: It's on. Let's go until tomorrow until over promise.
Speaker 2: In ten minutes, a Rivendacci baby, see you in the over Promised land gear.
Speaker 1: Bye. All right, let's go later.