Speaker 1: Hey, thanks for finding Brook and Jeffrey Second Date Update podcast.
Speaker 2: We're so glad you're here.
Speaker 1: Today features a brand new episode and we've got a date swap.
Speaker 2: Can we call it that? I mean swap ditch? I don't know. He didn't sign up for it, regardless, Yes, regrets. You're gonna hear what went down in just a minute. But first comments, what do you see Alexai?
Speaker 3: Yeah, Jasmine Graham said, I listened to the show so much, I've started a dream of Second Date up.
Speaker 1: I think that means that you're fluent in second Yeah. I think that that's the first sign to fluency. So welcome to it. All right, dream about this one. It starts right now, Brook.
Speaker 2: And Jeffrey in the morning. Second Date updates Brooke.
Speaker 4: Back in your dating heyday, or as you sometimes call it, your revolving door years, safe to say you had some interesting dates and relationships that ended in like bizarre ways.
Speaker 5: Okay, but have you.
Speaker 4: Ever started a date with one person and then ended it with a completely different one?
Speaker 2: Oh, I would take talent I don't have.
Speaker 4: Okay, Yeah, unions do not count, by the way, No, I only asked because apparently that's what happened. To our listener, Ethan, who has reached out requesting our help today. Ethan, Welcome to the show man.
Speaker 5: Hey, how are you?
Speaker 4: Oh man?
Speaker 1: How do you go from one date to another in the same night? That is that's some gymnastics.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was probably one of the most confusing and strange dates I've been on.
Speaker 1: Can I ask, are you interested in getting a hold of date number one?
Speaker 2: For date number two?
Speaker 5: The original person that I was going on the date with, That's who I'm interested?
Speaker 2: Truest got it, so got to be who you ended the night with.
Speaker 4: Well, let's start at the beginning. Tell us what happened.
Speaker 5: Okay, So I matched with this girl named Brianna from the initial chat.
Speaker 4: She was very friendly, she has a great smile.
Speaker 5: And so we set up the first date just go to this little bar and grill. I got there first, so you know, I got the table. She showed up, she looks great. She compliments me too, like my outfit and like, you know, it's very rare for the woman to give the compliment first. Yeah, She's like, I love that shirt. I'm like, you know, thank you.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Feel like all the women listening should give more compliments. Well I do.
Speaker 3: If the guy's actually stylish. Oh, I mean, you've got to work for it. I'll compliment a stylish guy just saying.
Speaker 4: Stylish. All right. So after the compliments, how did the dinner drinks? Like, what were we doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so, you know, we get a drink and we're chatting for a little bit, going really well, getting to know each other, you know, better than I would say most other dates from the get go.
Speaker 1: So okay, so you're feeling at this point, okay, this could be something.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So waitress comes back and we're pouring our food order in and that's kind of when things you know, start to change here. Oh how so she like looked at her phone and she's like, I.
Speaker 4: Hope you don't mind.
Speaker 5: My mom's gonna be stopping by.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, I wanted to meet your mom on the first date.
Speaker 4: Hey, if she thinks that he's good enough to just have mom swing by and drop something off, I know, why why stopping by?
Speaker 5: I don't know. I thought she was joking at first, right, But a couple of minutes later mom shows up. Whoa No, she introduces herself. Her name is Deborah, and then she pulled a chair up.
Speaker 2: No, no, she sits down with you.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Like, and this is right when the waitress at the table and we're about to order her food. So the waitress, not knowing anything, she asked the mom what she wants to eat too?
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So the mom's like, oh, I'll just get something to go.
Speaker 2: That still means she's gonna sit there and tell that to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Ana means you're paying for that, which is fine. You take care of the mom.
Speaker 2: Is this normal to Brianna? Can you tell?
Speaker 5: I don't really know, Like she doesn't seem like it's off putting or anything. And like, how was the mom?
Speaker 4: Was she pleasant? Was she weird? Was like, jose wants to know if she's single? Is interesting?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: She was like super nice, very similar to Brianna, very talkative, approachable.
Speaker 4: So at what point, you know, when does mom leave? That's the thing.
Speaker 5: So fifty minutes later, food comes out, Brihanna's eating and like she looked at her phone and she's like, oh, I gotta go.
Speaker 4: What who Brianna or the mom? Brianna?
Speaker 5: No, wait, well, She's like, I gotta go. She asked her mom to box the food up. She gives me a huggobuyer and she says like, oh, we'll talk later.
Speaker 2: No apology, no explanation.
Speaker 5: She said sorry, but she was just kind of like rushing out of there, like the emergency or she had to give to something.
Speaker 4: Oh my god. Okay, So now at this point Brianna has left the table and it's just you and Brianna's mom having dinner together.
Speaker 3: Yes, a test with like what how her mom is reading you after she leaves.
Speaker 2: Something like like let the mom figure that out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that must have been so awkward for you.
Speaker 5: It was a little bit. What kind of saved me is the mom's to go food arrived, and so that kind of like signaled the end of I get the date if you will.
Speaker 4: How did the date the kids?
Speaker 3: Like me and my mom went out?
Speaker 2: Like all right, who gets who's a better fit for?
Speaker 4: Actually, that would be a crazy way to set somebody. How did you and Brianna's mom leave things?
Speaker 5: So like we walked out together, the mom gives me a hug, not just kind of like what just happened?
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it sounds like you already passed the paternal interview portion of the dating process. So that's good news.
Speaker 2: Wait, Brianna hasn't reached out to you after this.
Speaker 5: We've been texting here and there since that night.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, but not as much as I like.
Speaker 2: Okay, I see it feels different.
Speaker 5: You're saying, yeah, But the issue is her mom is texting me more than Brianna.
Speaker 2: Wait, her mom has your phone number. How did that happened?
Speaker 5: I guess Brianna gave it to her. She was just like, hey, great to meet you the other night, and then she asked me how my days going.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a post date text.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And if the mom was going to text you, it would be on a group chat, right like it would be with Brianna.
Speaker 4: Appropriate for Brook. Sounds like Shardy knows exactly how things are going to go when her kids start to get that chat going. Any boy, your daughter text you're in that group.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to be in the disguise secretly from another table watching that.
Speaker 2: That crosses That's normal.
Speaker 4: Let's try to bring your dating life back to normal. When we call Brianna here, w wait for this and we'll ask her what's going on between the two of you. When we do your second date update right after this, hold.
Speaker 2: On Brook and Jeffrey in the morning. Second date updates.
Speaker 4: If you missed it. Ethan just told us about one of the stranger first dates that we've ever covered on this show.
Speaker 1: I honestly can't believe he wants to see this woman again.
Speaker 4: It's honestly it's out there where he went out with a woman named Brianna and in the middle of it, Brianna's mom showed up to the restaurant. Okay, which, honestly, that part isn't even that mind blowing. We've heard of it happening before. H I know, We're like, that's cool.
Speaker 2: We thought she was just going to get it to go order and go.
Speaker 4: Yeah. No, The head scratching part was where Brianna got a text mid dinner and she suddenly had to go, leaving Ethan to finish the rest of his date alone with Brianna's mom.
Speaker 2: And Brianna's mom is the one that's been texted and more.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So the good news is the rest of the date went great. He even got a mom hug at the end of it. So that's gotta feel good, right Ethan that mom already approves of you dating her daughter.
Speaker 5: Aw yeah, that's one way to look at it.
Speaker 4: Oh, trying to be optimistic. Here, can I.
Speaker 1: Ask how many texts a day do you think you're getting from Brianna's mom?
Speaker 5: Probably like four or five, like kind of you know, throughout the day, you know.
Speaker 2: And how many are you getting from Brianna.
Speaker 5: Like one every like three or four days.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, maybe we should just call the mom.
Speaker 3: Honestly, she is the one that's gonna want to go out with you.
Speaker 4: The mom's trying to feel you out.
Speaker 5: I don't want to talk to the mom. I want to talk to Brianna.
Speaker 4: No, moms love getting phone calls from people all they do.
Speaker 6: I don't know.
Speaker 1: This is a family that has wild boundaries or no boundaries.
Speaker 4: I'm really eager to talk to either one of them. So let's call it Brianna first. We'll see if she answers. Here we go, Hello, Hey is this Brianna? Yeah, Hey, Brianna.
Speaker 2: We are so excited to talk.
Speaker 4: That's an understatement because you're on a radio show right now. It's called Brook and Jeffrey in the Morning. Okay, yeah, yeah, I know it might be a little unusual for you, but we do this segment it's called a second Date Update, and we're trying to help out one of our listeners that you went to dinner with recently. Okay, it's a guy named Ethan.
Speaker 6: What's the problem. I don't understand why you all reaching out about him.
Speaker 4: Well, there's no problem. It's just Ethan's a little bit confused about what's going on between the two of you right now, because he told us that he felt a really strong connection with you.
Speaker 1: He was so excited about you, like, you're cute, you have a great smile, wonderful personality.
Speaker 6: He's so sweet. He was really nice too, he was very nice.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he mentioned that you brought that up, and he said that he had a great time not just on the app but on the date with you. And then he said your mom showed up.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that was really nice. She happened to be in the area and she could stop by and order some food with us.
Speaker 4: Okay, she happened to be That wasn't like planned that she would swing by.
Speaker 6: Not necessarily planned. My mom, she just went through divorce and actually just moved to be closer to me and so just go out get to know the town and things like that. And when she was out in texting, I let her know where I was at the gate with Ethan and thought it would be nice to stop by. So that's what happened.
Speaker 2: That was so nice of Ethan to buy her mom dinner.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what a good guy. We're trying to read between the lines here, and maybe you just need to tell us, like you weren't trying to set your mom up with Ethan, right, Okay, all right, we didn't think so, but we just had to get that out there.
Speaker 2: I definitely thought, so, why did you.
Speaker 3: For yourself?
Speaker 2: Why did you Why did you have to leave in the middle of dinner?
Speaker 6: Oh, I'll tell he told you that. Okay, Well she was left with your mom.
Speaker 2: That's probably a pretty big plot point in the date night.
Speaker 6: Yeah. So when my mom got there, it just seemed like they were kind of having a fun conversation and he seemed like a nice guy for her to be friends with. And I thought, you know, just let's the conversation continue with them and I could find something else to do so I wouldn't feel like I was interruption.
Speaker 4: What wait? What?
Speaker 6: So?
Speaker 2: Wait? You left so that your mom could hang out with Ethan.
Speaker 4: You're trying to get your mom a friend in that case, you know, if she's friends and has more of.
Speaker 6: A social life. Then I could have more of a social life and get out and start dating.
Speaker 4: Moore, you're pounding your mom off onto a new person so that she can hang outence.
Speaker 6: Not any person, Ethan.
Speaker 5: He's super nice, finish like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, last nice guys finished first with moms.
Speaker 4: I guess we'll see how nice he's still feeling when we get him on the phone, because he's actually on the other line right now wanting to talk to you, Brianna.
Speaker 5: Oh so he heard.
Speaker 6: That all of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everything, So Ethan, are you there? Hello?
Speaker 5: Hey Brianna awkward?
Speaker 6: Hi, Yeah, what happened? Then? It wasn't intentional in any way, but it just kind of was on my part to leave.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but like the day was going well, we were vibing on our date there. You know, we've both had a great conversation, So why would you do that?
Speaker 6: I know we were. It's just it was really nice to watch it blossom, this friendship bloshomy with my mom and you.
Speaker 2: There's no twenty something year old man that wants to be friends with somebody's mom.
Speaker 6: Please don't judge Ethan that way. Okay, he can decide, and they have been texting a lot, he told me. You guys have been talking like a couple of times throughout the day.
Speaker 4: Oh you think that is a good point. You are answering all of her mom's text messages.
Speaker 2: Mom or new bff? What do you want to call?
Speaker 4: What's her name? And your phone? Mom?
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, I mean we do you want to be friends with?
Speaker 4: What do you want?
Speaker 5: More?
Speaker 4: Friendship with Brihanna's mom or a romance with Brianna?
Speaker 2: Can't you have both? Or both? Not on the table?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I'm gonna say no for me because I just can't see myself dating one of my mom's friends.
Speaker 4: You set them up, and that is wild. This is wild to.
Speaker 2: Me, dude, you got friend zone to the mom.
Speaker 4: Honey.
Speaker 5: You were so nice and kind and different than all the other girls I've gone on dates with.
Speaker 6: And you know who's nicer than me, my mom? Where do you think I got it from? Pa? Do some nice little day dates and things like that?
Speaker 2: You called it a date.
Speaker 6: You guys know what I mean. It wasn't like a date like that.
Speaker 4: No, we understand this is very very sweet in a strange way.
Speaker 6: I want to be very clear with you, my mom is not attracted to you in any way.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's a little harsh and unnecessary that.
Speaker 1: It's anything that's been said, don't try anything.
Speaker 5: So I called this radio station to try and set us up on the second date, and out of this, I'm just getting that your mom doesn't even think I'm good looking.
Speaker 4: Well, everybody in their friend group they need to have that ugly friend.
Speaker 2: You're hot and handsome. I'm sure Brook has never seen.
Speaker 4: I'm also a mom. Yeah, maybe wants to be friends with you.
Speaker 6: I'm good, dresses really well, wow compliments and mom points.
Speaker 2: So we what is the question, Jeff?
Speaker 4: I mean, normally the question would be would you and Brianna like to go out again? But it sounds like that's already gonna be a no. So instead I'm gonna ask Ethan, would you like to go out on a friend date with to putt putt golf with Brianna's mom? And I guess we would fund that'd be so cute.
Speaker 6: Well, I'm going to answer with my mom.
Speaker 5: I'm going to say yes.
Speaker 4: Okay, now, Ethan, it's all up to you. Oh boy, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Your mom is nice, but it's going to be a no for me.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I didn't see.
Speaker 4: That friendship doesn't last.
Speaker 3: Sometimes we gonna tell the mom's going.
Speaker 6: To be you're an adult, not the breakup tags.
Speaker 4: What have you gotten yourself into?
Speaker 5: What are you doing to mean?
Speaker 4: Rihanna and Jeffrey in the morning? Man, I feel like a failure.
Speaker 1: Why because he got just mom zoned on top of being friend zoned by the ground.
Speaker 4: No, not even that. That's the first time I've asked for a date with someone's mom and they said no. I always get yes yes. Is it mean did I do something wrong? I feel like I could have done better. Remember, this wasn't a day they wanted friends for mom could could have sold it more like what if he was able to do laundry at her mom's house and she showed him how to use those downy scented beads in his load.
Speaker 2: So somebody Jose wants to go.
Speaker 4: Yeah, everybody wants to be right now. Yeah, it didn't work out.
Speaker 2: That was wild.
Speaker 4: No, that was maybe one of the craziest ones we've ever done.
Speaker 1: Her mom must be so obnoxious that she'll pawn him off on anybody.
Speaker 3: I don't want to be like yeah, she's just like, yeah, just take the date.
Speaker 1: I don't even care.
Speaker 2: Get my mom out of here.
Speaker 4: Seriously, the next time we ask somebody if they want to hang out with somebody else's mom, we better get a yes.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Okay, So if you're thinking about calling in yes, remember that you can always email us if you want help with your dating life, whether it involves your mother or not. Reach out to the show. We'll call that person who's not calling you back.