Speaker 1: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt podcast, your guide to the white tail Woods, presented by First Light, creating proven versatile hunting apparel for the stand, saddle or blind. First Light Go Farther, Stay Longer, and now your host, Mark Kenyon.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Wired to Hunt podcast.
Speaker 3: This week on the show, we are running Justin Hollinsworth through our what would you Do gauntlet, in which I will be giving him a series of hypothetical hunting situations to see exactly how he'd handle them and why you'd do it. All right, Welcome back to the Wired Hunt podcast, brought to you by First Light and their brand new white tail hunting line. Today on the show, we are back with our what would you Do series. Two weeks ago we had Aaron Warpton from The Hunting Public, and today we have Justin Hollinsworth from Lone Wolf Custom Gear and the White Tail Addictions Show. He's one of those diehard deer hunters who just gets it done every single year. He hunts mostly across the Midwest with a pretty aggressive style. He's one of those andre Toquisto disciples who you know, has proven time and time again to know how to kill big old bucks. He does it in a very mobile, you know, very running gun kind of way, and he's he's one of those guys I really enjoyed chatting with over the years. So we've talked to him, I think twice before, once to get a deep dive into one of the bucks he killed a couple of years ago, and then maybe three, four or five years ago we did kind of.
Speaker 2: An overall, you know, breakdown of how he hunts.
Speaker 3: So today, in this new episode, we're taking this quote unquote what would you do approach, So if you haven't heard the episode two weeks ago or in past years and we've done this, the basic idea is that I present justin very specific hypothetical hunting scenarios, so you know, something like, imagine you're in Ohio on October fifteenth with a west wind and this thing happens, right. The idea here is to get a look at how his mind works, how his decision making process works, how his style of hunting can be applied into all of these different places and scenarios and situations. It just gives us a different way to learn, you know, a great way to get kind of how to information in a very relatable, applicable way. So that's the plan, that's the hope. I really enjoyed this chat with Justin. I think you will too. I don't want to beat around the bush. Let's get into it. Hunting season is either you know, here for you or very soon will be. So let's get to really focus in on how to come better deer hunters.
Speaker 2: Justin's gonna help us here we go.
Speaker 3: All right here with me on the show for a repeat appearance, is mister Justin Hollinsworth.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the show, Justin, Thanks for having me. Appreciate it. I appreciate it as well.
Speaker 3: I was, you know, leading into this, went back and checked out a couple of your old videos from Lone Wolf's YouTube channel and was thinking back on our last conversation. I think it was the buck you killed Woody that we talked about last time, and just you know, I don't say this to everyone. Just listening back to that, I thought to myself, Man, Justin is one of the guys like number one, that I guarantee i'd enjoy like hanging out in deer camp with you and be just feel like you can teach something to every one of us every time we hear from you, like there's something to take away from conversations with you, just listening to your thought process. In some of these passive videos, there's always something that catches my attention, and it's a long way a way of saying, I'm glad that you're here for this, and I appreciate you making time to go through the what would you do?
Speaker 2: Gauntlet?
Speaker 3: Now, do you feel like you've got a good handle on what this is going to entail?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you're I mean, it just sounds like you're gonna we're gonna walk into some situations and maybe a particular deer or maybe a certain setting and time a year or whatever. And because every single one of those there's so many variables to all this. Ye, it's so true.
Speaker 3: And that brings up a really good point, which is if I threw you a scenario and you can think of a real life example that was similar to this, those are always good things to share, Like it's I always enjoy like, hey, this reminds me of this specific thing, and here's how this went, this went, and this went again. Like those specifics always end up being super helpful. So I think without beating around the bush, we should just jump into it, maximize your time here.
Speaker 2: Yep, here's the first one.
Speaker 3: This is something that I wouldn't be surprised if it has happened to you before. It certainly happened to me before, probably most people, and it might be something happening to folks like right now.
Speaker 2: So imagine this.
Speaker 3: You have been out summer scouting throughout the last couple of months and you found a giant, You found the deer that your heart is set on, big old monster typical. Let's say like biggest typical you've ever been a hunt. Let's just throw that out there, okay. And he happens to be on a property you have permission on. You have pictures, pretty consistent pictures. You've gone out there glassing, You've got some velvet footage, you've been able to really dial them. In September arrives, It's around that time that velvet's going to peel off, and as bucks do, he disappears. What do you do in that situation? Are you going to seek him out? If so, how or in this kind of scenario do you feel like, ah, you know, I've seen him come back enough times, I'm going to hold out. What do you do in the short term and long term, if you really want to figure out this year.
Speaker 2: For me, in that situation, I would want to definitely, I was, I definitely want to seek him out, try to figure out exactly what he's doing. You know, when that stuff starts to happen to the first thing that I'm I'm I'm going to go to is you know, I'm going to look at like, well, we were just talking earlier. It's been a very dry year here, so you know, I'm going to start. I'm going to start, you know, just trying to figure out, Okay, where's the local water sources and maybe I need to get a camera over there, or maybe it's something that I you know, I can glass from afar, which is what I would probably prefer to do, you know, because maybe and that just kind of depends too on what's the pressure like in that area. I mean, is is there a lot of pressure then then if that's something I could glass, I'd much rather go that route than go over there and and stomp around and and and uh muddy up the water sort of speak. The other thing I want to be very aware of too. I want to I do I do want to get my boots on the ground because you know, beans are turning, so they're not hitting those beans as much. You know, I want to find I want to find those preferably white oaks, because that's what most of the year here prefer over anything. I think they prefer those over over reds or or or whatever. And just trying to understand where the shift has taking place. And the other part of that is, too, is what other deer are there, and what kind of personality does that buck that I'm interested? What kind of is he? Is he passive and not very aggressive because I've seen huge giant deer just very very just passive deer didn't like to be around other deer. And I've seen other deer that were not even close to the rack size, but they're built like a Brahma bull and they're just you know, looking for a fight all the time. And so I want to understand all all those situations and then try to pick the deer up in some way using that that information. But if I can't, then I think it's always a good idea too to maybe understand some of the other properties and stuff like that that are around there, maybe try to maybe gain some more access and maybe go throw a camera or or or just you know, spend some time, you know, glassing and kind of being discreet when you're doing that, because you can draw some attention to yourself real quick, you know, with a pair of binoculars or a spotting scope. That's how I would go about it.
Speaker 3: So a little bit more on that last part. Let's say you do the glassing. So I'm assuming driving around some evenings back roads doing perimeters.
Speaker 2: How wide of a like radius would you start searching?
Speaker 3: Like if you like, let's say this deer was on a ninety acre parcel, that's where you saw him all summer, and now he's gone. How wide are you going to start searching for him as you start driving and glassing surrounding properties?
Speaker 2: What's that zone of interest? I mean, I would say within a square mile, you know, I would keep it probably, you know, no more than that. I mean, I've definitely been fooled on that before and seen them you know, go much farther farther than that. But yeah, it's it's so key to have history with a deer two, you know, and to have a little bit of historical data and stuff like that, whether or not they were a homebody and like that place, or maybe maybe they just summerred there and then you knew that information about where you know, maybe they didn't move that far, but maybe it's a couple of properties away from you know, that piece that you have that you have access to. But I mean I would start there and just probably keep expanding it. But you know, just the biggest thing is you could be on that ninety acre piece and that deer could be right there too, because if it's early season, I've seen this. I just seen this just recently. This just happened where I had cameras in a place and and he relied too much on those things, and and and I haven't The only place I ran cell cams on all year was just my my farm that I owned, just because it's an hour and twenty minutes away and i'd just been running. I just kind of went old school and went all, you know, I stee you know, cameras on video mode for the summer. And because I kind of like pulling cards again and just being surprised and not like sitting here looking at my phone all the time waiting for those I don't know. It does take something away from things at times, and and so I've seen this, and I go in check these cameras and I'm like, ah, there's really not that, you know, you know, there's nothing really great on this on this farm this year. And then I go and take a little drive and I'm glass and I see one deer out on a little island and a fence row in the middle of nowhere, and you know, I take my vortex spotting scope and I you know, put it on the window, and you know, there's a a giant buck that you know, I got cameras all over the place. I never never have one picture of it. I mean, he's right there, and and I think sometimes that's that's a process too of elimination, is is sometimes putting no cameras out is an area that you can glass, you know, it all depends on the terrain, but if it's an area that you can glass and you can hit, being to do all that kind of stuff, sometimes just setting back and then seeing the animal and then moving a camera in there is the best route then just to you know, place all these cameras out, because I've seen that, you know, quite a few times before where I just had cameras on the wrong spot because they just don't move a lot. Uh, you know, early early season. Yeah, that's a really good point.
Speaker 3: You mentioned something a second ago about personalities of bucks, which which perfectly segues into a new scenario that I want to run by, one that I relatively recently have started like finding myself in this situation. I've been lucky. A couple spots that I've hunted over the years have slowly been getting better, and now I'm privileged enough, I guess to find myself in this scenario that ten years ago I would have been like, oh, lucky you.
Speaker 2: But here we are.
Speaker 3: So imagine this one. Imagine let's let's say, uh, let's say it's on the farm, young you. Is it like one to twenty something like that.
Speaker 2: No, I only have seventy five acres.
Speaker 3: Even better, okay, seventy five acres. So so imagine this scenario. You're on your farm and you've got super high potential buck that you've identified. But he's three and a half. He's young, but he's got world class potential. Everything you could possibly want in a young buck. He's the one. He could be the one if you give him a few more years. So I'm curious, and actually, you know, let's not do this on your farm you owng Let's say this is a permission farm. Sorry, because to make it, to make it makes sense, I think it should be a permission farm. So permission farm, super high potential deer, and you're trying to figure out what to do in this scenario because there is another buck. There's one other big deer on this farm, and he's one of those brahmable monster like sixty year old, heavy, one hundred and forty inch bully eight pointers. I'm sure you've seen one of these deer over your years who just is never going to be a big antler, but he is a horse and he's aggressive, and you've seen him in the past. Maybe you hunted there last year and you've seen him run off off the other deer. So your scenario is this, You've got this incredible, high potential young deer and you've got this bully, big old a pointer. In this scenario where you really are hoping that three and a half year old will make it through for a couple of years, what do you do to help ensure that?
Speaker 2: Do you?
Speaker 3: At least in my mind, there's two scenarios I consider in the situation. One scenario, One option would be, man, I should stay out of there and let that buck that three and a half yield never get pressured by me.
Speaker 2: I never want to push him out of there.
Speaker 3: I want to keep it hands off and leave that deer to feel as safe as possible. So that could be one option I would consider. But on the flip side, I'd be worried that the big heavy eight pointer would push him off, and so another side of me would say, hey, I should go in there and kill that big a pointer, and then that leaves us a safe place for him. But you risk pressuring of here and there trying to kill that big eight. What do you do in that situation?
Speaker 2: Well, it probably depends on what I have on other farms the hut. If it's if it's well, I had a I had a buck last year, like a big, huge eight older deer, had three years of pictures of him. Wasn't really interested in him, but I had Uh. I had a couple really young studs over there, and but he he was, you know, he he ran the show. I honestly I went over there and set maybe once or twice during early season, just just so I could see one of those those younger deer never did never seen him either. And and and there was one uh, there was one other older class deer over there too that friend of mine on another property about a mile away ended up killing, which kind of helped the whole situation over there too. And so a season went on, and then I got into late season. Yeah, I shifted gears and I was like, you know what, I could really make that farm good if I just went in there and and and just to see if I could get that dear, I prefer that year to be gone, because ah, and whether it's me or I've I've had friends that you know before where I'm like, hey, would you shoot this buck? They're like, oh yeah. I like, well, if I can let me talk to the land owner listen that I'll take you in there, like I think we can get it done. Like and I've taken friends and had that done before, and and you know, and helped out a buddy Philip buck Tag And that's fun. You know, that's that's always that's always awesome. You know, it's you know, I enjoyed that part of it just as much as you know myself anymore. But last year it just ended up you know, I had my tag and my pocket all the way until January thirty first, because I shot a big one and lost it, and and so I ended up going over there and ended up killing that deer. In January thirty first, we had like five days a season left, and I ended up shooting that deer. I mean, I would probably try to get that deer out of there and not risk those other deer, you know, just getting their assets kicked throughout the year and just completely relocating somewhere and then they just don't come back, because I've seen that happen. But I've also had this happen too. I've also had this years ago, probably twelve years ago. I had this steer and he was just he looked like a mature deer to me. I didn't have any passes through with him, and man, he was in there just beating the crap out of everything. Every time I would go in there to set that thing was all. I mean, I could have shot that deer two or three different times, and he was all over me. I'd bring a buddy of mine in there, and I'd tell him, oh, yeah, that we'll for sure see. I brought my buddy in there two or three times. We never laid eyes on him, and but if I was in there, I'd see this thing every time. Well, dear, that dear never got shot. And the next year he went from like one hundred and thirty five inch what one hundred and thirty five inch bully buck is what I thought he was, And he blew up into a deer that was just shy one seventy the next year and I killed him. So and that's a tough thing too. You just don't know sometimes these deer, I mean, we all think we know what they're going to do from one year to the to the next. And I've had deer that I'm like, bad year's going to be a giant and never got it. Just never did. I've had other deer I'm like, oh my god, that thing needs to go and then just blows up. But I heard this not too long ago. Ali Lakowski said this, and when he said it, it was like a light bulb went off. I was like, yep, I never thought of it. But no, he was one hundred percent right. It's it's like all I think all bucks have one year that they make just an exceptional jump, and you just don't You never know what it is, and so it's tricky, you know, I could go, I could go a lot of different ways on that I but on a big old bully buck with a couple of young studs around, I would either shoot shoot that deer myself or bring a friend.
Speaker 4: I think I think that would be the best way.
Speaker 3: Would you hunt in that situation any differently? So trying to kill the bullybuck, would you be more conservative because you're trying to have a light touch for the young studs, or would you be more aggressive because you want to get killed fast? Or do you just hunt him like you normally would hunt any other target buck.
Speaker 2: I would probably just be super aggressive with it, try to get it, try to get him either killed really quick or completely blow him out. I would try to do one of those two things, because the younger deer just put up with more. They they there's just way more pobable of things. And I mean, my gosh, I had a buck last year on a farm that I was hunting. That this the deer that I was hunting most of the season, and he was a three year old, and I I mean, I think, I I mean, I I think I saw him every single time I set that farm. I mean it was like every set here he came and and he and he cracked me a bunch of different times and never seemed to bothering's and he's he's still there.
Speaker 3: Have you ever found, like, do you believe that a buck has a long term memory. Do you think that three and a half year old, when he's four or five, he'll remember, Man, I got this guy here the time or two and like, well that linger. Because I've wondered about this myself. If the mistakes you make with a two year old or a three year old will bite me in the butt two years later when I really want to get him at five? Do you think it lasts or do you think at that point, like he's not had a negative there's been no negative consequence from being around you, from seeing you or smelling you over the last couple of years. So by the time he gets to five and he's still alive, does he just think, well, I actually I'm not worried about this dude.
Speaker 2: To some degree, I think you can almost condition him. I think that I think sometimes when people just like y' all, let's just completely stay out of there and never go in there and never then they never have any interaction at all, right with with with anyone, and then all of a sudden season comes around and and you're you've tried to basically this is the sanctuary, and I'm never going to go in there. I'm never going to do this, and you know, this year is never going to have any interaction with me. I I think that's that's a I think that's a very foolish way of thinking about it. I think as they grow up over the years and the interactions that they have with humans, as long as they're not bad interactions, I think it kind of conditions them. And bucks get older, they just you know, they get more sketchy anyways. I mean, I think it's in more cagey because it's just it's more it's just how they're made up. But I think that you know, the more interaction, well, look at an urban buck, for example, there's a prime that there's a prime example, like I've hunted urban areas and and and there's a you know, there's a big you know, there's a big difference in those deer for sure, because all the interactions that they have with people all the time. I mean, as long as they're not you know, getting jumped in and and you know you're coming into their wheelhouse and you know, just kind of I mean, they're pretty tolerable of a lot more. I think then, say a deer that's in a pretty heavily pressured area that has gone through some you know, gun seasons and stuff like that, or just or maybe you got like a situation, well like a lot what you guys deal with in Michigan a lot. I mean huge amount of license hunters, you know, and everybody's hunting every five ten twenty acre piece around and they're having they're having a lot of arrows slung at them and and and maybe even getting you know injured, you know here and there. But those urban bucks, they you can definitely get away with a lot more So, I think the more interaction that they have, as long as it's not negative, I think it's uh, it's in your favor to kill kill them later.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think there's there definitely seems to be some truth that even I've even seen a little bit of that myself in places where there is pressure, it does seem like they they can figure out what is normal in their area and what's not normal. And if you can make yourself normal. Most of the time, you can get away with a little more, at least then a little bit more than I previously thought was possible, and.
Speaker 2: Well, but you gotta be careful. So my farm was a prime example. Well, so the places that I hunt around my house, well, I'm in there more and I'm always in there, you know, a lot more doing things. And I told this to a buddy because my farm there was a couple bucks out there last year that I wasn't interested in because I was just interested in this big typical last year, and he was closer to my house. So I let a good friend of mine, I'm like, hey, there's a couple of good books over there. I'm like, I'd like to see somebody shoot a nice buck off my farm. You know, I'm like, go for it, man, you know. And the first thing that he told me he said, hey, your farm's touchy. And I said really, he said, oh yeah, He's like I can tell already from you know, of my first two sets versus my third and fourth, Like they're onto me quickly. And the first thing that I thought, I was like, because I don't go out there that much, so they have this whole place to themselves and they're you know, they're not used to running into people ever. And I purposely made it a point this year to spend more time going out there and and just so they're not having you know, like they're having interactions with me. They're seeing me, smelling me, stuff like that. But nothing happened. Nothing's happening. And and I'm hoping that it's kind of an experiment too. I'm just kind of seeing if this is going to like change that going you know, going into this year. Because he he said, you know, he's like, hey, he's like super touchy. He's like, I'm a back off farm because because they're they're that onto me. And and then he would start back up again and hunt and he was he was like, yep, everything's to normal. And he would have two three sets and then he's like, yeah, he's like, you know, last my last two sets, I got skunked. I haven't seen anything. He's like, I'm gonna lay back off of it again.
Speaker 3: So you're gonna have to let us know. We're gona have to check back in with you after the season. See uh see if the slightly higher impact conditioning strategy works.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, and it's kind of worked. It's kind of worked well too, because we have a job site out that way this year, and so him and I worked. He's a project manager for me and I and I told him. I was like, hey, whenever you go out to that that job, I'm like, stop on the farm. I'm like, just you know, check a cup of cameras. Move camera. I was like, you know, and then even when I'm out there or if I'm out there doing work or whatever like that, way we're there more and to see if we can make a little bit of a difference this year. Interesting, all right, how about this one? You are after?
Speaker 3: Specific buck again, it's October, and this deer you've gotten to know over a couple of years, but he is notoriously hard to pattern. The extent of what you can really figure out is that he has one main betting area slash zone, like a We're gonna say there's maybe five to ten acres really really good area of cover. There's you know, some concentrations within that, but there's like a tight core here that man more often than not, he's betted somewhere in that zone. There are crop fields to the north west and south of it. Big timber to the east. There are oaks to the east and west. Then there's a couple of scattered you know, like I mentioned, crop fields, some openings, some diverse trained mixture of crops and timber. This deer, like I said, you can figure out like he's man. He's in that five to ten acres a lot of the time. But when you hunt around him, it's very hard to predict if he'll go north on this day, west this day, south this day. He's always you know, any sighting you have of him, any photo you have of him is on some spoke leading out from that core. But there does not seem to be any kind of pattern to like, on a westerly wind, he could go anywhay. On a north wind, he could go anywhere. There's no rhyme or reason. And there's not any major change in food source because there's there's beans and corn to the north, there's beans in corn to the west, there's beans and corn.
Speaker 2: To the south.
Speaker 3: So it's it's it's hard to put a real idea of like why he should go on any direction on any given night. In that situation when you're trying to pick how you're gonna hunt this deer down in that scenario, how would you do it? How would you try to kill a deer like that? That, at least in my telling, is very hard to pattern.
Speaker 2: So so let me ask you this, in this situation, do I know do I know? Is this deer? Is this? Is this deer like a real touchy deer or do I have any like like as far as his personality, what kind of deer is he?
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say he is a homebody deer who he's stuck around for years and it's it's it's hard to push him out of there. He wants to be there.
Speaker 2: Okay, then I love these kind of deer because this because that kind of situation there and and something you got to learn. I think it's got to be you got to develop confidence over the years to do it. But I think those are the those are the time, Okay you got a general idea about where he's at, I think those are the moments where you have to go in and do a light bump on that deer just just to get a sighting. Because because if he's betting to say a five to ten acre, you know, peace, that's I mean, my gosh, that's still a lot of room. And if you're bow hunting that you're I mean, if you're if he's in five acres and you're one o one acre over, I mean you're million miles away. So to me, it makes a lot more sense to like take the chance go in there so you can fully understand the situation and just try to just do a light bump on the deer, you know, get the wind in your face and just kind of go creeping and then just you know, get a visual. Because once you got a visual, and you got an exact location, and then once you got an exact location, say with so.
Speaker 3: Exact location of bed is what you want to find right where he where he stands up from.
Speaker 2: Yes, so, and then once you've got that exact location, then you got a real good general area. Say it's a you know, say say it's a you know, twenty by twenty area where he could bounce right around there or whatever. I would probably go over and look exactly where he was at, just to see if there's other beds, and then and then from there I would probably you know, I would definitely have a stand with me because I wouldn't want to come back because that would be the last thing that you'd want to do. And I'd want to probably get get a stand hung based off of where what makes the most sense for his return and maybe you know, maybe it's maybe it's for an evening hunt because you bumped him during the middle of the day, and maybe Okay, what makes the most sense. Why would he come so I seen him run off this way? What makes the most sense he knows something? Jump him out of there. It's danger doubt that he's going to come walking in there with the wind at his butt. He's he's going to come in in a in a in a manner of being able to detect some kind of danger. So you want to be just off to the side of that. And you just got to take your best educated guests and go for it. And then in that situation too, I would want to be able to if I if I didn't kill him that evening coming back, like uh, you know, I would be you know, thinking, thinking the whole time while I was in there. You know, what's the wind going to do tomorrow? What's the weather going to do tomorrow? Like Okay, do I you know, want if I set this tonight, do I need to pull this when I'm done tonight, and if I do need to pull it, where on this knob or a section here do I need to be to do the same thing I'm doing currently, And and then I would try, but preferably I would rather be in that same tree and just leave all my stuff in there bow, everything all set up, so I could creep back in and and and try to get you know that that other that you know, the other cracketing. But even if I don't and say he doesn't come, you know that evening or the next morning, at least I have that. Now, Now I can start painting little pictures out of my head of like, okay, you know, I know that you know this this bean field over here is completely brown, and this was you know, this being field over here was winter wheat, and then they they ended up planning it late, so it's this is the green or hey, you know what, I guarantee you this fencer over here that always has those big white oaks. I guarantee all those white oaks over there are dropping. And paint some situations out in your head of where he might be, you know, going for an evening hunt, but as far as the morning hunt goes, and if you have that information. I mean, because I mean he beds there for a reason, you know, And you know, Andre taught me this years ago. He's like, you know, you bump him out of there, and like he basically shired up a spot, and you gave him confidence on why he beds there. He escaped, he did not get hurt, and and he's he's going to come back. Because that is the amazing thing about big white tails too. And it took me a long time to get past this is they sometimes you can't burn a model of a spot. I've had bucks that I've hunted before that I felt like I was going so hard after them, and I was having so many encounters with them, and there was times where I was getting busted and I'm like, oh, it's done. There's no way, you know, like this is the second time that he's cracked me, and no, he's still right there. I think I think there's a big mis misconception on that. I think that they they'll tolerate a lot more due to years of being able to stay safe in an area.
Speaker 3: You know, imagine you're a seven year old man who's lived in the same house for fifty years. You know, if that was me. You know, if that was me, you'd have to bug me a whole lot to convince me to move out of that house that I've been safe and happy and for decades, you know. So yeah, I can see and see why they can be more kind of location consistent.
Speaker 2: Than we used to think. Yeah, I just yeah, I just I was always just so worried about that for a long time, and there was time. I mean there's times where I will there's times where I fall back into it, where I play this head game with myself and I should know better from past experience, but every once in a while, my old self kicks back in of being super conservative and not not taking the chance, and that turns into me either not getting the deer or or you know, the or somebody else getting the deer or something like that. You know, So it's there's a fine line in there. I also and I also think you got to know, you got to know the animal. Like when you said a homebody, I was like, oh, okay, now we're talking now ones that that do some roman that you know that you could see two miles down the road somewhere mm hmm. That that's a different situation for sure. I mean, I had a deer during the late season that I was hunting, and my gosh, I cannot believe, like even for late season, Like how far that deer would move. Like a buddy of mine that hunts a couple of miles down the road. He's like, hey, where. Yeah. I'm like, I call this deer Lucky. And I was like, I'm in here hunting lucky. He's like, well, uh, you might as well get down because I just got a picture of him down a down at my main farm. I'm like, are you kidding me? It's crazy.
Speaker 3: So so you brought up kind of your your willingness to take risk with you know, pushing in and pushing on a betting air.
Speaker 2: That brings me to another one of the scenarios. I want to run by you.
Speaker 3: And this is a kind of a an adjacent idea, but this is riskiness when choosing a tree. So imagine this. Imagine you are slipping in for a hanging hunt and you are going to be a long side the edge of a dough betting are tight to a dough betting is your is your game plan?
Speaker 2: As you slip in there it's.
Speaker 3: The rut and you find this terrific looking betting era, and there are two trails paralleling the down wind side. So I'm going to assume tell me, if this sounds stupid to you and you wouldn't even do this scenario, then you can feel free to rewrite this how you want. But let's say you want to be downwindow this dough betting are as many of us like to be during the rut, and there's two trail paralleling that down one side. One trail is right on the edge of the thick it's like right on that edge, and there's two scrapes along it, right near where there's an intersection of trails. One of these trails is punching right into the bedding. Then there is a second trail that is about fifteen twenty yards farther back. Okay, you've got two trees that seem viable as options for you to be able to get your stand up in. One of these trees is twenty nine yards from that first trail, So it's downwindo that first trail, great shot to that scrape into the intersection of trails, But that second pretty well used parallel trail is going to be downwind of view. Okay, or the second tree is downwind of both trails, so you have none of this expected movement behind you. But it is forty six years yards from the edge of the thick so you're gonna be forty six yards away from the edge. But both trails up win of view or twenty nine yards from the edge, but one main trail is down one. Which of those options would you take?
Speaker 2: And why? Probably the first thing that I would want to do. You know, obviously I want to go and look at at those trails. I want to look at the tracks in those trails, and and just because there's a couple of scrapes over there doesn't mean, you know, that's going to be the particular trail that I'm you know, I'm going to try to cut some big tracks on one of those two trails, and then I'm just going to you know, play the game of you know, process of elimination and based off of based off of the tracks. If I'm seeing big tracks on both of them, you know, some of it's going to come down to gut feeling and and and just trying to make a more of a a you know, a gut feeling call on the spot. I had a situation very similar to this. Just a few years ago, on a big deer that I was hunting, I watched him take a dough into a betting area that that well, I actually picked up a shed from him. I watched him push her right into that area. I pulled my set, went over there, read the sign. This situation to a t two trails. One trails pounded, and it's got his tracks on it, and and it's also got two big rubs leading but right back to where I found one of his sheds, and there is like a perfect you know, pin oak right there with all kinds of branches and the whole nine and it and it favored I'm a left handed shooter, so it favored that trail was to my right side on that tree. The other tree or the other trail was more downwind to a point where they could come down the trail so far and then they wouldn't get my wind until they actually entered the field. Because I was tucked in the woods a little well a little ways but tight like right up against this fatting area, and there was more of a more of a faint trail, but there were some of us tracks on it, but there wasn't a big sign and stuff like that. So I kinda, you know, I went off of my gut feeling. And obviously from the looks of things, I'm like, I got to set up on this main trail where the other trail was going to be. It was I ranged it in his forty four yards and and I just thought, I don't I just didn't feel like in that situation he would come down that trail. Well he did go. He did come down the trail that night, and and and he was on my left hand side, and being a left handed shooter, you know that's not favorable. You know, like, you know, you got to turn your whole body to make that shot. And and that's a long shot. And I don't, you know, I practice you know, longer ranges. You know, I'm I'm I'm shooting a lot of fifty and sixty yards. And I knew that that trail was at forty four yards. And when he stood and I watched him stand up out of his bed at eighty yards and it's on one of our White Tail Addictions episodes. And he stands up with his dough and he's right there at eighty yards and he's working a tree over and the whole nine and he comes all the way down in that situation. In that situation, you know, I'm nine times out of ten, it's gut feeling, and it's also just you know what your eyes are telling you as far as the sign goes. And to me, the trail that I set up on, I felt like that was the right trail going into it, and it just didn't play out like that. And you know, I was fortunate enough to make a great shot on the deer at forty four yards and he only ran like fifty yards and piled up. Would I have changed anything today if I went into that same situation, No, I probably would have did the same exact thing. I think sometimes you can try to cover too too much. I think you're always better off to like favor one particular trail in that situation and just be as dialed as possible for that one specific scenario. Yeah, yeah, and again, and then it kind of all goes back to like, okay, and if you blow it, you blow it, you know, And and that's the game. Though, you know, if this was easy and they just rolled over all the time, it suck. Kind of you know, it's like we want to we kind of want to go at it with them a little bit.
Speaker 3: True, we wouldn't be sitting here recording like episode eight and fifty or whatever of this podcast that people have listened to thousands of hours and stuff, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And that's what's so fun about it to me, Like, I love I love that part of the unknown. I I don't want it to ever get to the point where it's you know, and I never will because a big white tail, you know, mature buck is KG and they're you know, they're always going to be you know, you know, so good at the game. But but I you know, I like that challenge, you know, I like that, you know, just trying to play the trying to paint these scenes in your head of what's happening and what you're trying to picture what's going to happen next, because that's you know, I've said this a lot to my my buddies before too, because I I did this for a long time where I used to chase trail cam pitchers and that's that's a really stupid game to get into because it's already happened. So I think trail cameras should just be used mostly just for inventory reasons.
Speaker 3: Honestly, I feel like it's become even more of a prominent thing now, just as cell cameras have just so dominated so much of our mind space. Now, a lot of people are doing that. And I, you know, I was guilty of this last year. And even though even though the year prior I was talking to you, I think you and I had a conversation about this in January of twenty twenty three when we were talking about Woody and we both sat here and talked about, man, you can't chase these camera pictures. And then in fall of twenty twenty three, I'm again tempted into it, like, oh man, he was just there yesterday, same wind might happen, and then I'm there and he's over there, and yeah, it just continues. So yeah, it's tough, too tough to be suckered by that piece of intel.
Speaker 2: Yeah it is, it is. I think it's you know, but I love but I do love cameras. I love I love the picture, you know, getting the pictures and like, and I love you know, just I love keeping track of certain books and all that kind of stuff. It's kind of that's I think that's probably just a big of hobby is punting and all that kind of stuff. I enjoyed that part of a lot, and it's fun.
Speaker 3: So let me get you one more tree question, one more kind of slight tweak on that scenario we just did. So, so imagine instead of there being two trails, okay, one of them's gone. So now you just have that one trail that's right right along that edge, just one major travel route along that edge. Again, you have two trees. The difference now is that one of these trees is nice, easy distance twenty yards away from that spot, but very minimal cover. It's like a bean pole tree with like one branch coming off at like twenty feet.
Speaker 2: That's really it.
Speaker 3: Okay, so easy shot, minimal cover. You've got another tree, but this one's at forty four yards, let's say. So it's a poke, or more of a poke at least than the other shot. But this is an oak tree, lots of branches, beautiful cover. Do you take that, you know, slam dunk shot but questionable cover, or do you take the longer shot but lots of cover.
Speaker 2: I would probably take the closer tree, and I would probably just set my stand up a little bit differently than I what I the way that I typically set up. I I typically be in a left handed shooter. I typically set up my stand to shoot the deer on my right hand side. And I and I prefer to I prefer to sit when I shoot. I think there's less movement because there's not the you know, grab the bow and stand up and draw. I mean, it just takes one you know, it's one less movement, you know, like to you know, have my boat close and just be able to draw on the animal. But in that situation, I might flip the stand to the backside of the tree. I'm more of a sitter than a stander. But in that situation, I would use the tree as cover to be able to to peek around. You know, that might be I know, you know, in that situation, some guys that saddle hunt and stuff like that, that that right there could be the the advantage to that where I would probably do it a little bit differently, where I would just you know, I just put my seat up on, you know, on my lone wolf and peek around the tree and stay tight to the tree because you know you're gonna have to beat some eyes on some other deer. That's because I there's just a lot that can happen at forty four yards. Yeah, the way the way that a white tail can react to a book going off is just is pretty unbelievable. So I would much rather have that close shot. And that's really what bow hunting should be, you know, you know, it's a it's a you know who is either Jean or very wintil It said, it's a aim of how close you can get, not how far you can get. So with the advancement of the you know, with archery equipment and people just being able to shoot farther and stuff like that more more accurate. Yeah, I had a target for sure, definitely think that's possible. But I don't like to shoot past forty yards. But I've done it because every once in a while, this thing's like comes back into my head, like, well, if you're not shooting, you're not killing. So I've taken some I've taken some longer, longer shots before, but I've taken some longer shots too, and I've missed animals and I've woundered animals as well.
Speaker 3: So that brings us to that You couldn't have more perfectly segued to the next scenario than justin which is I'd like to understand how you handle that scenario you just mentioned. So let's say your target buck the buck you're after. Let's say he comes out at forty four like we just described, and you're sitting there like, I don't know, that's a poke. A lot can happen, but you kind of feel the pressure. I got this in my one chance. And you take the shot and you hit him, but it's a non lethal wound. So maybe graze his back, or you hit the shoulder, or you underneath the brisket, whatever it is, you wound him, but you're pretty darn sure the deer survived. What's the next twenty four to forty eight hours look like? How do you how do you handle that mentally? How do you shake yourself out of it or get yourself right or figure out what was going on or what mistakes happened?
Speaker 2: Like, just how do you process and move on from that situation? It's it's a really hard thing for me to get past, to be quite honest with you, I probably still to this day with that. When the situation like that happens. Yeah, the best I mean, honestly, the best thing that you can do is it's not set around too long and lick your wounds. You have to get back out there. You have to start scouting again. You have to almost keep your mind busy and thinking about my next move and how I can get back on this deer and so on and so forth. Because last year I was hunting a big typical that that I was after, had had an encounter with him two three days later, came back, had the deer coming in on a string to you know, got to forty yards, hurt another deer, and went down into the creek. I ran out of daylight and I was stuck in the tree, and I could hear him sparring with this small buck down there. So I just I was like, okay, an hour of complete darkness and then I'm going to slip out. Well, when I was leaving after an hour of setting there and I never heard anything around me, I thought the coast was clear, something heavy footed bounded off, and I was just convinced, you know, you know, there's a bazillioneer in that area. But in my head, I was like, one hundred percent that was him. I screwed it all up, and man, that that that was to me that was no different than doing what you just were talking about, wounding in or missing him or whatever it might be, because you know, I gave up my location. He knows he's being hunted now, and it's just a completely different ballgame. And how I handled that situation then is in that particular area, it's pretty open, a lot of big farm fields, So I was spending a lot of time glassing observation sets and then even on times that you know, because I just I got to know, so I love just to do a perimeter search of like, you know, a field and just to try to cut you know, maybe cut his big tracks or you know, different stuff like that. So that way, you know, I'm you know, I'm still in the game, and I'm watching, you know, I'm watching my cameras seeing if he's going to show back up and stuff like that. In that particular situation, I mean that year went missing for a while, I mean, he went missing for a few weeks, and I really really thought I blew my chance there for you know, quite some time. And and then I got maybe a pitcher at night one after a couple of weeks, and and it's started to tick up a little bit and that situation. For me, the way I handled it, I was like, Okay, I got to get out of here for a while, but this is the deer that I wont but and he's he's here, he's just not here as much. So for me, I just I packed up my stuff and I went to Illinois and spent some time out there just hunting, you know, a different state and some new ground and kind of let things just develop and and then and it kind of worked out perfect because I shot my buck out there, and I came back home and and he was starting to get active on that farm again. And then it wasn't three or four days after I got back from Illinois is when I got my shot. So you know, I just kind of let it cool, you know, let it cool down, let him get you know, and we're also talking now it's the week of you know, it was November twentieth, so it was the week of Thanksgiving. So in my head I just thought, too, like he's going to he's a big, huge, mature dominant dear. He's done some breeding and now he knows this week is I mean, he's running out and goes to breed, and there's a good chance that I might be able to catch him trying to find that last one. And that's that's what happened on that particular morning.
Speaker 3: So speaking of November twenty, then one last scenario. On that date, November twentieth, you're out hunt and you our evening sit two hours left of daylight. You've just got that one buck y're after. He's the one year after again, and you spot him. You're up in a tree, you're posted up in a tree. You spot him on a dough, so he's already got the dough and she's walking him off straight away from you and out of sight in the direction where you know there's a food source. Two hours left, he's the only day you're to get hill. What do you do? Do you stay there and just hope it comes back? Or are you gonna do something wild? And I don't know, do something different?
Speaker 2: What are you doing? Then? I think it just depends on the terrain in that particular setup. I mean, if it's something where I would now I wouldn't have done this prior to killing Woody a few years ago, when I did that stock on him and killing him in that fence row. Now after doing that and just trying something out of the box and gaining some confidence with it. Yeah. Yeah, there's I mean, if if if I feel if there was a fence row or if there was some way of our ditch where I could sneak down and try to you know, cut them off and have the wind in my favor, yeah, I would. I would definitely, I would definitely do that. But you know, also seeing you know, seeing that that would probably be a really good opportunity too to get down, tear my stand down, slide down, try to cut that track wherever they came out, and then to be able to get a situated you know, maybe get situated back in that same general area because maybe that's where that particular dough likes to.
Speaker 3: Be, and then hunt it that next morning. You're saying, yeah, I'm then hunt it the next morning.
Speaker 2: You know, let them, you know, let them go off do their thing, and then you got the run of the place and you can go in there and and you know kind of kind of get a you know, based off of cutting and cutting that track and and seeing if they you know, come back in there, because you know, a lot of the a lot of dose you know, they a lot of times they like their little they got their little spots just like a buck does. And I mean I've heard of guys. I've heard of guys doing this too before. Now I don't because I mean, I don't know if I would be able to determine a particular dough over another dough unless it had like a double throat patch or a bob tail or you know, something that identified it. But I know, I mean, I know of some guys that wait for particular does. They know about roughly a timeframe of when particular does are going to come into heat, and they just go in and hunt that dough or you know those does in that area, knowing that you know, a big deer is going to come in that area. I've never done it, but I've heard of other people doing it. But pretty interesting, I do. Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: All right, justin you've made it through the worst of it. I've got just a handful of rapid fire questions for Okay, so there's going to be one word answer real quick. First thing that comes to your mind. Okay, yep, does the moon matter to deer movement?
Speaker 2: Yes or no? Yes? Yes? Would you take a fifty yard shot at a white tail with your bow? Yes? Or no, if he's in a wide open field. Maybe okay. Uh.
Speaker 3: If you could only have one of these tools for the rest of your hunts, which would it be rattling antlers or grunt tube, grunt tube expandable or fixed blade broadheads?
Speaker 2: Uh? I'm an expandable guy.
Speaker 3: Should you stop a buck with some kind of sound before shooting if he's moving?
Speaker 2: Yes or no? Yes? Okay?
Speaker 3: Last question, This one is not a one word answer. You can expand on this one. Imagine that I rule the world and I have control over your hunting privileges for the rest of your life, and I am going to take away your hunting privileges and your hunting license ability or the rest of your life if you don't kill a five year old buck this year. All right, So you got to kill a five year old this year. Otherwise, no more hunting for the rest of your days. The kind of kicker here, though, is that you'll have one day to get it done. So what I'd like you to do is pick the date on the calendar that you would like for this hunt. So you get to pick one day and then describe for me in as much detail as you can the exact type of location you would like to be for your setup, So you know, you can tell me what state you would want to be in. You could just describe a general kind of habitat, set up up a specific you know the details of what kind of tree you want and how you want it set up, and what kind of cover or what kind of sign you want around you. Paint the picture as best as you'd like to, as best as you can.
Speaker 2: But give me the.
Speaker 3: Date and this amazing picture, perfect setup that al Wollt s Garantee. You kill that five year old, what would you do?
Speaker 2: I would probably if I had the perfect hunt in that situation, it would be and this date, this particular date has been very good to me in Iowa. I'd be in Iowa. I would be on some just it would be a morning hunt on say November ninth, and it would be a big ah. It would be a big oak flat. But the thermals pushing up and you're just being invincible. Doesn't matter what your wind is because you got that lift going on, and it just doesn't matter. He's snuck in there never blew anything out, which is like almost impossible. But and I mean, and it would be about about twenty degrees frosty. That would be like the perfect that would be the perfect situation, Like I dream about those all I dream about that all year, so I know exactly what I can picture that whole thing, and it'd be even be it'd be And that day thing is tough because the ninth has been good to me. The twelfth has been good to me, and so has But I tell you what, the week of Thanksgiving has been. That week I've seen the biggest dear of my life during that week. And you don't see a lot of deer, but dang, you see some good ones.
Speaker 3: And you think that's just those old boys know that the last last bell of the ball is out there somewhere and he's got to get it real quick before the opportunity's gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, they are still like you don't see all the crazy chaotic one in two three, you know, one to three year olds, you know, and when you do, like they're pretty they're pretty beat down. And and but man, when you I mean that, that particular week, you just see some slammers and and they're on their A game, you know, they are on their A game, and they are on the prow and they look in just the way that they look at that point too in the year. You know, yeah, been to the Ringer, maybe got some battle scars on them, you know, the their necks are just swelled up like bodybuilders. I mean, yeah, I dream about that stuff.
Speaker 3: It's good stuff, man. I believe you would get it done. I think you get your five year old, you'll be able to keep on hunting. So I like the setup justin what if there's anything you want to pitch out the folks to check out from Lone Wolf or White Tail Addictions, your videos, anything particular you want to send folks to go check out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this year is This year is the Lone Wolf's fortieth anniversary. So started in eighty four, so they you know, we've been in business for forty years. Obviously I haven't been part of forty years. Have been probably part of it for half of that. But yeah, I would love for you know, people to go over to our YouTube page Low Wolf Custom Gear, and we just started dropping our White Tail Addictions episodes on there, and and you know, these guys are just uh, they're truly from all walks of life and they are just you know, a bunch of the best students that I know great friends, and these guys just know how to get it done. And and uh, we're not if you're looking for some high quality Heartland bow Hunter stuff, and trust me, I love Heartland bow Hunters. The quality of their stuff is just unbelievable. It's not that because we're all just do it yourself for self filmer and and it's it's pretty raw. No, But I'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: When I am thinking about future podcast guests, trying to find some new folks anything like that, your guys stuff is always one of the first places I go and start. You know, have I talked to this guy? Have I talked to this guy? I've reached out to you in the past, Like who on your team? Do I need to talk to you about this kind of thing? Because you guys just have legit quality deer hunters. Like I just know if there's someone that's hunting with you guys, they're doing it.
Speaker 2: They're doing it well. So I always enjoy watching, following along and learning. So keep it up. Yeah, we we have a really awesome group of guys. That's cool. We're all getting together this weekend for we have our annual White Tail Addictions get together this Friday, and and then we have and then on Saturday, this is all at Andre's farm, and then we have the Mobile Roads show that Cody puts on, and it's it's an awesome time. You need to come out. It's a blast, it really is. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I've been seeing it all on social media and it looks it looks pretty great.
Speaker 2: So one of these days I'm gonna swing over there and make it happen. Yep, You're always invited. Much appreciate Justin. Well, thank you for this too.
Speaker 3: Good luck this season, and hopefully we'll be talking again soon about your latest big old Ohio buck or Illinois or whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Yep, well, I look forward to look forward to seeing what you put down this year too.
Speaker 3: Piers crossed, all right, and that's gonna do it. Really appreciate Justin joining us. I appreciate you being here and listening. If your season has begun, I hope you are off to a great start. If it's coming up here pretty soon, keep on shooting your bow or your gun, keep on checking out those final last minute to do items, and get ready for a really fun season.
Speaker 2: Let's keep it fun, Let's be safe, let's work hard.
Speaker 3: Let's feel the freezer, and let's enjoy this whole deer hunting thing as much as we possibly can. So with that said, thank you and stay wired to hunt.