Speaker 1: We asked another former employee of Tosh Porn of the same question. So here goes talk about what a good time that show was and how easy I was to work with.
Speaker 2: I would say, you're the easiest person ever.
Speaker 1: You hear that, Andrew? I know he listens every week. I was a pleasure to work with any were pashhash shows show. Welcome to Tosh Show. I'm Daniel Tosh, and I can name that TV show in under two frames. Go ahead, give it to me. Little House in the Prairie.
Speaker 3: Goddamn boom you see that? I mean, half pint's not even in the picture. How'd you get that?
Speaker 1: Were you forced to watch the Little House in the Prairie, Edie.
Speaker 3: I don't even know it was forced. There wasn't a lot.
Speaker 1: On I think I was. I think we were forced to watch it.
Speaker 2: You don't.
Speaker 1: I always uh get confused. What who's this star of Little House in the Prayer? The Father Michael? I always say, oh, he was the closeted gay man, But I know that that's not true. I get that confused with the Brady Bunch, right, you know he was closeted right? Oh?
Speaker 3: Yeah. Robert Reid, who played Mike Brady on The Brady Bunch was gay and kept a sexual orientation private for most of his life.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I always get that. I always got them confused.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't fuck Carol either.
Speaker 1: I was into Carol.
Speaker 3: You like Carol Brady.
Speaker 1: I thought she was all right, all right, I thought she was all right. She certainly dressed nicer than my wife ever has. Do you like Lassie? I hated Lassie. I'll be honest with you. I don't like a border Collie. That fucking weird face, so skinny.
Speaker 2: Ugh.
Speaker 1: You know I liked Benji. You know, I like Benji over Lassie. Benji was a mutt. I'm just I'm more of a mutt guy. Now you say, oh, Carl's not a mutt. Depends on who you ask, akc. I don't think they're recognizing bernodoodles. I know what I sound like when I talk fuck an idiot. Sometimes they get nostalgic these shows. I was cleaning out, uh some stuff, as I always do. I found this photo and it was a photo I took of a man, okay, like just his face, right, I mean, not like a man man like like like early twenties. And I was like, oh my God, I don't remember his name, but I'm like, I it just immediately took me back. This guy worked at the Comedy Works in Denver, Colorado, a club you and I've worked a ton of times. Yeah, oh man, remember that. They were always like, we don't put you up in a hotel because we have a really nice condo. Oh okay, Wendy, that's that's nice, but some of us would like room service. But that's beside the point. You stay at the condo, you have to walk through a seven eleven, which oddly at the time was like a plus. I was like, oh, you know, get some gross snacks at night and head on up to my room, and you know, get rid of this weird faux fur blanket that has been jerked in by every other comic. Anyway, one week I was working there as a young comedian and this guy was an employee there, and he and I just hit it off, and I just found him hysterical. And I just remember like we like went out every night, maybe we went out during the day for like lunch and stuff. All of a sudden, he has like a best friend.
Speaker 3: Just doing stuff.
Speaker 1: We were just hanging out. It's just funny. I was like, this guy is hysterical. And then the next time I worked there, he didn't work there anymore. I just never You know, is you don't ask when you're a man, it's hard for you to ask for another man's phone number, Like, hey, we should stay and be in touch and hang out. The point is, I'd like, I'd like you, guys, my fans, uh to find out who this guy is and where is he? What's he doing and does he remember hanging out with me for a week and were his memories fond like it? I'm curious.
Speaker 3: It's a mission for the listeners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's a job for the listeners. They can figure stuff out. They seem to have all the answers. I know it sounds you know, I don't. I want to make sure I use the right PC term here. I know it sounds fruity.
Speaker 3: I think that's what. Yeah, you're supposed to listen.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's that's the right way to say it. But I just had a good time this guy. We had tons of laughs.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I hope this works.
Speaker 1: I hope it works too. That'll be a fun guest. Yeah, have him on what if he what if I would be heartbroken and be like, what I don't remember. Oh yeah I did work there. Oh we hung out.
Speaker 3: I think it's gonna this is gonna this is gonna be great.
Speaker 1: Okay, speaking of a blast from the past, today's guest he was with us every step of the way on Tosh Point. Oh, and now he's here, he's back. So old, he is so old, he's our oldest friend. He is ah, he's a good guy. Enjoys show. My guest today worked with me at Comedy Central from our show's first day to its last. He's seen it all and knows too much. He's the most respected crew member in the history of Tosh Point. Oh, all right, that's fair. Please welcome key Grip. Rick. I still have no idea what a key grip is. All right, Rick, how are.
Speaker 2: You doing fine?
Speaker 1: Sir?
Speaker 2: Thanks, thanks for the invite. Daniel, how you been what dreaming? You're a white dream How long you been married all together?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Forty years? But how many women?
Speaker 1: That's two ways? Forty years too? How many did you give the first one?
Speaker 2: First one is about eight nine years? How many years?
Speaker 1: Was too? Was the writing on the wall and you're like, oh that we should have done. We should have got rid of it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think it was probably after about seven. Maybe it's kind of a kind of separated grow part.
Speaker 1: That's seven year itch?
Speaker 2: Is that a real Well, I think it was achy all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that might be herpes? All right? Ray, do you believe in ghosts?
Speaker 2: I believe in the spirit. I guess you can call them ghosts and the holy ghost. How about that one?
Speaker 1: Well, sure he's like the top ghost. Yeah, he's above Casper.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: By the way, I want people to know, I thought I was gonna be dressed exactly like you, because every time I've seen you for just years and years, you have a black T shirt on and a headband. And sure enough you have a headband on, But today you fancied it up with a Henley You've got so I didn't know that you were going. I didn't even know you owned the button shirt.
Speaker 2: My wife dressed me today.
Speaker 1: Oh, I mean, cause that's as fancy as I've.
Speaker 2: Seen you pup these buttons right now?
Speaker 1: Why do you wear black shirts every day of your life? Well? Is it just to work?
Speaker 2: It's for work. And if we see a reflection, like I was shooting something the other day in a in a beautiful black piano lacquer and they say, hey, I can see your jeans. So you don't want to be that guy being called out when they're getting to take number six and they love it. So everyone wears what they call show blacks.
Speaker 1: Gotcha all right? So there was a reason that you always there's a reason. I don't feel like you would it would have. You could have mixed it up a little bit, maybe wear like a navy or something like that. Could you were born and raised in southern California. Tell me about what life was like here seven decades ago.
Speaker 2: You could paddle out to Malthab and get waves to yourself.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Anywhere you wanted to serve, you could do that.
Speaker 1: Let me say long I served yesterday at the Rock. I'll say where I served. It was. It was overhead glassy, there's a real swell that was fading out, and I surf for two people. Great. I mean, so it still happened. People always always say, like, you know, I don't know if it's revision, it's history, like, oh, there used to be no crowds. It's like you can still find it. You got you have to you have to dedicate your life to it, and the reality is we get older and we can't dedicate every minute to surfing exactly. So you were a surfer. When did you start surfing?
Speaker 2: I was eleven. First board was a Gregnoll eight eleven, picked it up for ten bucks from the Gregnoll shop right there off of pch and Peer Avenue.
Speaker 1: And you just took to it right away like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Once, when you first stand up, you're on top of the world. Dan, you know, wow, it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I start in third grade, North Carolina. I was living in Newbern, North Carolina. We had something to come there because I went to a predominantly black school there. You grew up in a predominantly black neighborhood in Inglewood. Where else did you live?
Speaker 2: Then? From Inglewood we moved into Hawthorne, a slight knighte. The neighborhood was called Little Watts Little Watts, and all my schools were blended.
Speaker 1: So what is your ethnicity? I've always been an Italian? You're an Italian? Did you guys know he was Italian?
Speaker 2: Yes? Okay, my mom was a Russian Jew. Russian Jew, So I say we're a Jew.
Speaker 1: Wap Oh, I don't say that.
Speaker 2: I can say it.
Speaker 1: Please don't go to Eddie Rick. We're all in trouble if he's the barometer. Uh, you don't do drugs, but look like the biggest hippie I've ever laid my eyes on.
Speaker 2: I'd say I'm fit right in that mold. You never bring any Petulia oil today, But I'm not old hippie.
Speaker 1: Did you ever did you go through a big drug phase?
Speaker 2: No, never did marijuana. Well, yeah, I did a CBD once in a while, but you know, but not not but any of the other stuff. I mean, you know, are you still a hippie at home? I'm still a hippie at heart, Daniel.
Speaker 1: Did you go to college a little bit?
Speaker 2: Not much. I was more of a hands on guy. I was doing and metal welling and stuff like that. And then mal was ten foot and I didn't want to do arc weding in the summer in the leathers when so I just quit and it started surfing, and then I became a landscape contractor.
Speaker 1: Surfing took you around the globe though.
Speaker 2: Kind of Yeah, I guess it, do you?
Speaker 1: I mean you never considered living someplace that you couldn't surf?
Speaker 2: No, I had to be by water.
Speaker 1: That's the problem. I've always said that's the problem with surfing. It ruins you in that you'll only live by water, which happens to be the most expensive areas to live.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Ah, it's a bad it's a bad thing. And then being like, if you really dedicate yourself a surfer, that doesn't coincide well with making a good living exactly.
Speaker 2: I learned that when I was doing contest.
Speaker 1: You were a competitive surfer in California and Hawaii. Describe what that was like.
Speaker 2: Well, I was a competitive I did one year. I served pretty well. I was out of high school, probably seventeen maybe eighteen, and I got to the Huntington Open. It was WSA back then, So I won the first heat. I kept win in the first and then I moved to two A and then three A and I just kept winning. And then I got an invite to serve Malibu, a four A contest with all the pros. Well, I served Malibu quite a bit. I knew the break, I knew the tide.
Speaker 1: So this was that first point.
Speaker 2: Actually, here's what they did. They put everyone out at third point and we had it to ourselves. Four guys in the water, double eliminations from second point all the way to and was lining up all the way to the pier. Talk about hooting and hollering.
Speaker 1: That's a good day.
Speaker 2: That was a good day. And then I just kept winning and winning because of double eliminations, and and then I had to go in the final. I served seven times that day and I had to go up again to Mike Purpose. He was like the best guy around roundhouse cutbacks, and I studied him quite a bit. He was a South Bay guy, like I can't even paddle out because you got to go out. Well, he won anyway, But that was what I claim to fame. But like you said, there's no money in it. There's no money in the business. What is this steamer's lane in the contest? That's you yeah.
Speaker 1: Back and steamer will boom. Oh that water was cold, cold, cold water up in steamer lanes. You ended up in Australia, I did. How long did you live there?
Speaker 2: I lived there for about a year and a half, but I stopped in Maui for about four months, and then I surfed in Honloa Bay. Best wave in the world at least for me.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: I got in really really good shape because you're just out there and the waves are bigger and stronger, and I don't like big waves now on either. I'm like six seven foot waves when it comes bigger than.
Speaker 1: That double overhead double overheads, where I sad.
Speaker 2: And you try to stead outside and get the big set wave.
Speaker 1: You know, you worked in Hollywood for nearly forty years. How much have things changed during that time?
Speaker 2: I'd say. When I started, we were burning arcs, which are the old the lights that were tied together. They were like welding rods that were put together, and they created this arc in these lenses. And then we were shooting film. The mags would come in a thousand foot mags. It's like big things. I look like Mickey Mouse. Here's on the old cameras. It cost a dollar a foot to buy it and two dollars a foot to process it, and you only get three minutes out of it. So that's changed quite a bit. So you're spending three grand on just three minutes, and who knows what's going to take. So then eventually they change the lights. Now that's all led and the cameras are little chips. Yeah, Star Trek said, here's a chip we found about this planet and all of a sudden, everything's on it.
Speaker 1: Well, for people that always see the title key Grip in the credits and myself, what does a key grip do?
Speaker 2: I would say the key grip's responsibility is listen to the director, and then you want to listen to the head guy, the head electrician. And then anytime he moves, we go and service his light. So he puts up a light, we go in there and shape it or cut it. Then we put people on the dolly. Sometimes we have a dolly. Sometimes it's just handheld, so we stay right next to the camera. A lot of times we see the cranes moving, that's probably two key grips, or sometimes it's camera operators.
Speaker 1: Now explain the difference between grip, best boy grip, and key grip.
Speaker 2: Okay, the key grip is pretty much the guy in charge. He's in charge of men and equipment, so you make sure you surround yourself with the best guys. Then the best boy is basically like like your wife. You know, you you get someone that's brilliant, really good at taking care of the numbers, making sure all your your points fit together, and he basically handles all kinds of stuff. Like I say, Matt, we need we need three guys, and we're going to be doing this and here's here's our order. So he'll get it all squared away, get it all sent in. That's our best boy. Girl.
Speaker 1: It can be a best girl. Do they change the title the best girl when it's a female sometimes?
Speaker 2: But I think I think they stick with the best boy.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's got to be a fun credit read best boy Susan.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And then the key grip and that's that's the and then oh sorry, then just the regular grip. Got it right. There's a book titled The Grip Book written by Michael g Uva and your relationship to you.
Speaker 2: That's my big brother. He taught me.
Speaker 1: Did you know that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It was like a silverspoon guy started in the commercial world.
Speaker 1: How good is your grip?
Speaker 2: By the way, it's good.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's a strong grip. What were the glory days of Hollywood?
Speaker 2: I think they treated you great. We were doing commercial hall around the United States, so hit our boss. He lived by like a block and a half from Malibu Pier. His wife was a producer, so it flies to all these different states. Would send the trucks out grip and electric. He was a photographer, so he didn't use money many lights. He liked the sunrise, sunset, the beauty shots of golden hours. And then we'd stay in these great hotels, give us some money per dim and.
Speaker 1: Talk about the cocaine. Was there tons of cocaine back then?
Speaker 2: I think I missed that, fortunately for you, but not for me. Well, there was a little bit still dabbling around, and then you know, once the bike came down in cocaine. I don't think he saw it on set, but I heard stories about people would be getting paid in time and a half or double time by Bindles. I mean that's a.
Speaker 1: Rumor talk about working on the set for the film Heat.
Speaker 2: The shootout scene unbelievable. We spent a month on the weekend, Saturdays and Sundays with the shootout scene. They robbed the Bank of the West. They started running down Figaroa and there's basically thirty cops and the guys are running away and you see flames coming out the barrel. It's pretty good. And then we got down by the Omni Hotel Sunday morning and all of a sudden, boom boom boom, every shooting cars running back and forth. You see people look out the window. They hit the deck because they thought it was a real shootout.
Speaker 1: Well right, because you were using as Michael.
Speaker 2: Mann, we weren't using real bullets, but we're using real blanks right with flames coming out, So.
Speaker 1: Just as loud as any, just as loud, just as scary. What are some of the famous movie sets you've worked on.
Speaker 2: I work on Heat, g I Jane was your show was pretty good and always turning and burning something.
Speaker 1: From Heat to tosh Point Oh. Well, most people wouldn't put those two in the same sentence, but I think I appreciate Rick doing that. I feel like when you're talking about Heat and you talk about tosh Point Oh, is the two p's in a pod? Was tosh Point Oh an easy gig? Or was that a pain in the ass gig? Where where did it fall?
Speaker 2: I'd say it was probably the easiest gig I've ever had. And I know because I easily. You never saw me because I always got behind the drapes. But as you're up there rehearsing, I got to hear your life and this that and things are going on, and then the rehearsal, of course, I'd be at the drapes making looking at my shoes, I see cashro come up.
Speaker 1: Oh aren't you in astro?
Speaker 2: And then let you out, get out the door, and then let the people out of the stage. It was fun. We had it down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it was that was It was a well oiled machine, and I appreciate that you made sure everything ran smoothly and quickly. How many layers of green screen paint were on the wall by the time my show ended.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'd say probably about an inch thick.
Speaker 1: There was a lot of green paint. Was so huge. That green screenwall was so huge. Talk a little bit about ramboard.
Speaker 2: All right. Ramboard's good for protecting your floor because you always had had ramboard.
Speaker 1: Everywhere I looked, there was ramboard. Man, I ramboard. I don't think you're a sponsor of the show, but you really should. We really loved your cardboard that we would roll out everywhere. I think I stole a few rolls of that ramboard at some point.
Speaker 2: Good to have.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's it's amazing. If you're work in your garage, you can roll that out quickly, especially if you're doing ding repair. I loved it. What's the most insane thing you were asked to do on Tosh point zero.
Speaker 2: I'd say one year we did these tracking marks up in the ceiling. Memory you had cameras and we put all these weird looking things up in the ceiling. We had to clamp them up there because they were trying to get kind of like what they now like volume stages where you could see all around, but they were trying to track all these marks, so you could almost get a lit over the top of you. That was kind of tricky, but we had first we had to build those things mm hmm, and then we had to clamp them and then see stand arms. So it was like a whole day to set it up and like a half a day to take it down.
Speaker 1: Did we use it.
Speaker 2: I don't know. We put them up, but they were up there.
Speaker 1: I think they were up there forever, and we don't think we used them. I think I could. I think they're still probably up there.
Speaker 2: No, I know where they're at.
Speaker 1: When I switched our schedule to a start at seven am every day, did you hate that on it? You loved it?
Speaker 2: I loved it. I'm up early. I was up at three four in the morning all the time. But I remember you said you wanted to get into the business because you wanted to serve. Yeah, because you go two or three hours on the commercial in the lineup U plus, you could if you knew the tide, you come in later, surf in the morning.
Speaker 1: I like surfing it. I always the whole schedule got moved early, so I could, like just we could we could work in the morning. Fine, I'd rather my I'm not a in person. I'd much rather surf right before dark.
Speaker 2: So afternoon glass.
Speaker 1: Oh man, that's my little heaven there. You like, everyone hates the traffic in Los Angeles, but you say, you know what, here's my workaround. I'm gonna leave, you know, before the butt crack of dawn.
Speaker 2: In the morning, and and get off by six.
Speaker 1: Right, But you get wherever you need to get, and then you get there. Whata You just sit in your carvet in reading.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I read, you know, I read. If you a little bit of get my bowl of manna, you know.
Speaker 1: Because if you if you can avoid the traffic, it's really just a lovely city.
Speaker 2: They put her on cruise control all the way from my house. Uh huh, it's ninety nine miles to my boat. I've taken up. Let's talk about that.
Speaker 1: For a second.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Yes, we say you live in Escondido, but you also, uh, for the majority of the time when you're working in Hollywood, a lot of times you live on a boat, right.
Speaker 2: I call it my floating condo. A floating condo, thirty foot sailboat Catalina.
Speaker 1: Do you ever do you take it out?
Speaker 2: No, don't take it out.
Speaker 1: Have you ever taken it out?
Speaker 2: We took it out when we moved it over into the bay into we were in. We got it in Santa Monica, and then we moved it into Ridondo.
Speaker 1: Are you a proper sailor?
Speaker 2: Nah? But I'm thinking about it.
Speaker 1: Are you competent? Well, I'm not getting in there with you.
Speaker 2: No, No, I'm not competent. Before I take that thing out, I'm I have someone teach me. Plus, I thought about fixing up the boat. But you know, a boat stands for break out another thousand and at this point, I don't have a whole bunch of thousands to get it in top shape.
Speaker 1: What's it like living in a boat.
Speaker 2: It's comfortable. You sleep like a baby in that boat, like you're still in the womb.
Speaker 1: I don't know that I slept well in the womb. I'm gonna I'm gonna be honest.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like a giant water bed.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, a water bed is horrible. That's the worst night sleep ever.
Speaker 2: Well, if you get the baffles in it, it's much better.
Speaker 1: And the baffles or the heated water, that's the grossest sounding night's sleep I've ever heard. Heated waterbed. Good. All right, hold on, So how long have you been in this boat?
Speaker 2: This one? Probably about for thirteen years. I guess. We've had this boat and I share it with the guy that lives in Arizona. He's a sound mixer. Okay, so we split the rent and it's now gone up to about four hundred, just under four hundred a month. That's that's your slip fee, well each of us. So it's about eight hundred with bottom cleaning.
Speaker 1: How often you clean the bottom?
Speaker 2: They come about every month, month and a half.
Speaker 1: Every month.
Speaker 2: They take a piece of carp and wipe it down.
Speaker 1: The ocean's brutal, it's hard.
Speaker 2: And then you got to replace zincs in it every now and again.
Speaker 1: How often are you doing the boat?
Speaker 2: Now? Well, I was there this morning, and usually i'm there. I book up in the morning, do my job, and then I'll go crash on the boat and instead of going home in the afternoon, I wait till early in the morning and reverse course and do the same thing. But there was a time when I was working with you before the pandemic. I was punching in over two hundred days a year.
Speaker 1: That's a lot of time.
Speaker 2: I was bouncing off a lot of different shows. Well, I stayed on the boat maybe one hundred and fifty days.
Speaker 1: Do you remember when Eddie got hammered at a bar called what is it Naj's Place at the Redondo Pier and called to hang out because you were living on the boat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember that one and thirty five beers on tap.
Speaker 1: Uh, Eddie? Were you trying to what were you trying to find a place to sleep that night?
Speaker 2: Hang out?
Speaker 3: Rick's got a boat here?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Were you going to take the boat out? All out? Have been a great idea? Is that the key to a happy marriage? You guys just like to separate. You live on a boat half the time, and she's.
Speaker 2: Well, it's just our lifestyle. But I think if you want to stay married, you should have some air gap between you. Guys. So because you know, people get a little picky about certain things, and you'd get that space. It's nice.
Speaker 1: I just worry if I if I get space, that I'm just going to kind of keep drifting farther and farther away.
Speaker 2: Nah, you won't do that. Well, you got the kids, you know, you want to hang with the kids.
Speaker 1: I love the kids, yeah, you know, and I love the wife.
Speaker 2: I'm really why if you want to keep it. It's nice to have some space.
Speaker 1: I have no space. It's just it's all about just on top of each other at all times.
Speaker 2: That's hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well I didn't start till later. I'm on my second marriage, but it's just my first marriage.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right, so I feel like, yeah, I got to act like a knucklehead earlier, right, and I'm good. How many different Comedy Central shows have you worked on?
Speaker 2: Probably a dozen, Jim Jeffries. I started out with Norm McDonald's Sports show.
Speaker 1: Huh.
Speaker 2: Then I did The Burn, Then I did Anthony Jesselnick, The Jesselnick Offensive. In the meantime, I was taking care of your show. Then we did Lights Out with David Spade. Then we did another one with David Spade that was After Party. That was a fizzle. It didn't last that long.
Speaker 1: And then a third one with David Spade.
Speaker 2: I didn't do the other one with David Spade, and then I did another one with Anthony again called Good Talk that was pretty good, uh huh, and probably a few more.
Speaker 1: And then the pandemic happened.
Speaker 2: Wiped us all out, although we had pandemic money, so it wasn't so bad, was I?
Speaker 1: The only show that ever paid you after the show was was was.
Speaker 2: Canceled, Daniel, I want to say thank you for that. I mean I could mention the numbers, but then again.
Speaker 1: Well that doesn't seem appropriate appropriate, But were they good?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could say it was. It was the best tip I have ever got.
Speaker 1: No, that's nice to hear.
Speaker 2: And it was. And you know, I mean I didn't need to. We all made decent money working for you, and a lot of times I'd be sitting there and waiting and waiting and then Bill say, hey, go home. And you know some days you just weren't ready to shoot or things weren't right, So I go either, yeah, go to.
Speaker 1: My get real real testy. Just I refuse to come out of my trailer.
Speaker 2: I tried to make sure your your house was clean, Daniel. My goal was I tell everybody I was your best bitch if your house clean. And I didn't say a word, and we never talked.
Speaker 1: Sure, biggest asshole you ever had to work with. You don't have to name names, but but say who it was name. Oh was he bad? That's a shame?
Speaker 2: Yeah, he You know.
Speaker 1: It sucks because he loves headbands too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you know it's an attitude. And you know, now the nicest I would say, cowboy guy. He does all the voiceover for Ram Trucks, Sam Elliott, sam Elliott.
Speaker 1: Sam Eli was the nicest guy.
Speaker 2: You're the nicest guy in the world. We were doing something pretty close in Ventura.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: So he walked back through the river bed, sat down at the table, talked about his wife and the vegetable garden, and he was just like, it's just a guy, just a sweetheart.
Speaker 1: Of a game makes us all look bad. Yeah, it's like a normal person. By the way, is are we in the All Valley contest? Later today? This reminds me of the Karate Kid? Is that a tosh point zero.
Speaker 2: Dot on that It's not actually your dot, this is a cloth dot. But I do have some of those things. I brought some of those dots which he might.
Speaker 1: Want to brought gifts for me. Oh yeah, I got a.
Speaker 2: Gift for everybody. I'm like, you know, my brother's Michael, gu but is now Santa Mike. You've been Santa Mike forever.
Speaker 1: Let's let's let's see what Let's see what you brought. I'm excited to see some of this stuff.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, this one for your dog.
Speaker 1: Carl gets a gift.
Speaker 2: Carl gets a gift.
Speaker 1: A headband. Oh man, let me tell you something about dress.
Speaker 2: I'm not I don't know if you have to put it on him. You could use it, just throw it away if you want to. I won't. Well, but he'd be pretty cool running down the beach.
Speaker 1: What else you got? Come on, let's see some stuff.
Speaker 2: Now you're taking your kid out in the water yet. Yeah, my first wetsuit.
Speaker 1: That's your first we suit.
Speaker 2: I'm not just kidding, but I thought that'd fit him well. It might, and then if he grows out of it, then you give it to the daughter.
Speaker 1: Here, rig I got you a gift. I got you a wet suit from here. You go, all right, don't want it that's very nice of you. There you go something that. What do you do? They just give me a Nike app? But then I see on the side of that, says tosh Point. I was like, I can't wear this. This had is horrible.
Speaker 2: Rick, I bet you get a kick out of it.
Speaker 1: You wear these?
Speaker 2: No, No, the are still brand new.
Speaker 1: They were just sitting that looks like we've worn it. I don't.
Speaker 2: What's there's a Comedy Central hat.
Speaker 1: I fuck Comedy Central. I'm not wearing a Comedy Central hat. The pieces of this ship. You know, they fucked us, Rick, Why would we.
Speaker 2: Want to I still work with them?
Speaker 1: Oh, sorry about that Comedy Center. You're still good? That's fine. Okay, Well so far, Rick, this has been These have been just duds.
Speaker 2: My buddy's a painter.
Speaker 1: Oh that is pretty.
Speaker 2: I figured you'd like that.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. Why would you figure I'd like this? Because I saw because it's waves, it's waves. Looking at it upside oh, Rick, I was looking at it. Yeah, it looks a lot better. When when they said, oh that's nice, look at that. Look at his artist friend. What's your buddy's name, Tony Tony Rider? Thanks for that. That's on metal. Yeah, you see that, Well, I know right where that's gonna go. Good grief, you're just doing the same bit that I do. You're just fucking getting rid of your ship.
Speaker 2: I had empty my closet. Where do you go. That's a book, that's the original book book.
Speaker 1: The Grip Book. Oh this is nice. Actually you can have that. Look at this. His brother wrote this, The Grip Book and How to become a Motion Picture Film Technician. Look at this, by the way, Sea Clamps.
Speaker 2: You call it the first emoji book.
Speaker 1: You know, a lot of tractor stands, all cranes. You know I love cranes. Oh yeah, well better than sitting in a crane.
Speaker 2: Well, you'd probably like this book because it's got all jibs, cranes and arms. This is six.
Speaker 1: He's always written two books.
Speaker 2: Six. He's on his seventh edition.
Speaker 1: Jesus Man, your brother is a monster.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you got thick.
Speaker 1: This book is.
Speaker 2: But if you look in there, there's just not every kind of crane in there. And he keeps it current.
Speaker 1: He's also just got a photo of an umbrella case you want to know what an umbrella looks like. This is great. This is such a better gig than going to college. You read, learned this book, come out here, hustle, and then just work on the movies. That's TV for the rest of your.
Speaker 2: Well you can do. You can make a good living out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can. Good for you. Oh god, damn it.
Speaker 2: Rick, Oh here's one that you might like. Don't have many of these.
Speaker 1: I'll be honest with you. I don't know that I have any A script from Tosh point of this is a Tosh point. What's that? Good season eight twenty seven. Yeah, that was a good season, one of the best. Let me let me just let me just go out, Hold on, let me just go This is great hot. Look at this first page I opened to Pivot Abortion Live from New York. It's Saturday night. If a white person wears an Obama mask, does that count as blackface? Like a mask?
Speaker 3: So you've never answered that question.
Speaker 1: Oh that's funny. Oh man, look at these jokes. Better have some lub handy before you type in three Asian teenagers. This show was horrible.
Speaker 2: It's great.
Speaker 1: Why would we can't say that stuff? That's awful? By this episode, I just kept screaming, Pivot, Pivot race relections, uh, Pivot healthcare? Wait was this was this the political was this the Trump wins the first election episode? That's funny. The only way to fix the election process is by taking the voters out of it. That's good stuff. Oh okay, there's another.
Speaker 2: That's the only two ever I had leafs. Oh yeah, well left it around, but I have to clean the.
Speaker 1: Place, Lafe. That's wrong.
Speaker 2: I just thought you kick.
Speaker 1: I got a kick out of it. I appreciate you bringing it for the kick part is that it no? Oh good grief.
Speaker 2: Here, bought some dots if you want to put it on your board, and this is some leftover.
Speaker 1: These are old dots now, so the dots Rick would put on the floor, so I knew where to stay end. But but instead of just putting a regular mark or a star, since it was Tosh point. Oh he always just had these points made up, and that's what where they would be placed. Oh come on, Rick, how much stuff do you have?
Speaker 2: Well, here's here's some more.
Speaker 1: This right here? Though? What is happening with it?
Speaker 2: Here?
Speaker 1: You put that over on that side just so that I don't accidentally take it? Are you done?
Speaker 2: God?
Speaker 1: Damn it? I like that Your bag is a salvation army.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why I went shopping. I got something for your wife.
Speaker 1: No, she we have a garden, but she doesn't do it. But she got you got her. What the fuck? Rick, you just bought her. You think my wife has a medium hand, she's small hands. You got tiny hands.
Speaker 2: Fought him for my wife? They don't. She don't work love. So I figured, don't just give him the garley.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I do. He's doing my bit. He's just.
Speaker 2: Here's one. Here's one that she can have when when she's mad at you, Daniel.
Speaker 1: Oh sorry, yeah, geez a mug that says the Jim Jeffrey Show on it.
Speaker 3: By the way, what the hell is happening.
Speaker 1: This about this It's not even like a mug that was made for the show. It's just a sticker. There's just a Jim Jeffery show the sticker. Well, that's nice, that's a nice guy. She loves a new mug.
Speaker 2: There's one more thing. You brought more things, just one thing. You probably won't like it, but I know, I.
Speaker 1: Know, holy shit, hold on, you just fucking stole well. Basically, the Tosh point of this actually is hysterical. So Rick, not only is this from look it has it has the lights that are behind it, that light up tosh point zero. But he just fucking rip this out of the goddamn wall.
Speaker 2: Take hour to get off and when it's going right to the cans. But I do have another one that's foam.
Speaker 1: This is heavy. This is do you build this? No?
Speaker 2: No is you're off your set wall?
Speaker 1: No idea? It was off my set. Well, I don't know if if no, you didn't put the lights.
Speaker 2: On or anything. It came with the lights on it, and there's things on my desk. I've got the whole thing for that one too.
Speaker 1: Were you keeping all this shiit rick?
Speaker 2: Well going to be at your house now? Daniel, there's no fucking away now. I know you wouldn't want any I'm not.
Speaker 1: This is hysterical just because it's got bolt sticking out.
Speaker 2: I was thinking about cleaning it up, but I just figured you couldn't much a little.
Speaker 1: End table, Eddie. Will you make this an end table for me? Eddie?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: Well, thanks, Ed. You were just hoping the show was going to come back, and you're like, hey, guys, we.
Speaker 2: Had four more years. I figured I would tap out at seventy Are you seventy on the penny I'll be seventy one in July.
Speaker 1: Seventy one in July, you're going finish this sentence for me. Seventy is the.
Speaker 2: New year, Jubi Lee. Hey, I don't think.
Speaker 1: I realized you were seventy. Do you think you'll ever retire?
Speaker 2: I don't want to. I mean, my jobs are been cake. You know, I'm getting paid to laugh get music. But I don't really want to go climb up and down hills in the middle of the night and carry heavy stuff because I know if I do that, I'm gonna break up. And I want to keep.
Speaker 1: Has your body held held good? You had any replacements?
Speaker 2: Nothing?
Speaker 1: Nothing good for you. I'm holding out hope that I that I can live that life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, howld your your hold? Your dad and your parents grandparents?
Speaker 1: My dad will be ninety six.
Speaker 2: Now is your dad?
Speaker 1: By the way, my dad's My dad's good. He's uh my dad's eighty. I don't know. I think he's eighty. I should ask him. Good run Okay, Uh here I got you for your boat flex seal.
Speaker 2: Oh perfect, Yeah, it's great. This is the paste I can use that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you get a leak and I'm told you can uh make a screen. Uh, you know Phil Swift always says that. Uh. By the way, have you seen Phil Swift's face lately? Oh yeah, Oh my god, he's done some stuff to it. Yeah, considered doing any plastic surgery.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm taking what the Good Lord gives me fixed, you know what I mean. I think for some people it's good, you know, they prefer it. But I'm just happy to just get out and walk.
Speaker 1: Are you happy with your weight right now? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I am. I'm sitting around one sixty five one seventy. For a while I was kind of fulls Yeah. Sorry, you know I was punching close to one ninety. Oh. So you've you've dropped Melb's Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, good for you. What did you drop it?
Speaker 2: Just eat better diet.
Speaker 1: Do you have a sweet tooth?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I have a sweet soup.
Speaker 1: It's hard on sets to have a good diet because there's just food available all time.
Speaker 2: All kinds of food, as much as you want. I know, they feed us, they feed us so much on sets.
Speaker 1: I didn't really care for the food we had on set.
Speaker 2: Ever, sometimes it was good. Sometimes you just ate it and booked on. Crafty was always good.
Speaker 1: Crafty was fine, but the meals that were catered. Like I tried to mix it up and like I brought in like a barbecue guy one time, and there's just nobody. Nobody could nail it. Never. It never was my favorite thing. All Right, here's here's another gift I got you. Okay, somebody's sent this to me. But it's like I already have the purpose for your boat. It's a a bidet. You use a bidet. No, okay, this I know, And you're probably you're probably saying, oh, I'm not gonna try. I think as you age, you're gonna really appreciate this. Doing the heavy lifting.
Speaker 2: You put this in the man cave, the bathrooms in the main, you.
Speaker 1: Go sit down there and you just enjoy it. Just a good clean out there you go. That's called the Clean Butt Club. By the way, Clean Butt Club sent me that. Now a lux beenday, So thank you, Clean Butt Club. That's they're not a sponsor the show. They just sent me that. It was nice. But I'm not gonna use that I've gotten. I've got a toilet that's built in how dare you?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I have one other thing. I wanted you to have. One of my old bandanas.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. Okay, just just so that no, I love that, appreciate that.
Speaker 1: There you go. If if a kid wants to get into this business, uh, into your business? What they got to do and what should they expect.
Speaker 2: To get into business. If you ever get on set and you're a production assistant, run hard and always go up to the key grip because you can approach those guys are raring the other grips and say, hey, need anything, I'll help you out. And then on the way out you say, if you got something coming up, I'll do the next one. I'll work for free for you. You know, get in someone's pocket. And then after the end of the day they ask you, hey, what are you doing next week? I got a two day job you want to jump on? So he goes from a buck and a half a day to about maybe five six. I mean, you're not bad.
Speaker 1: Do the kids have that type of hustle?
Speaker 2: Now? Some do?
Speaker 1: Uh huh, all right, some do. Are you a natural builder? I mean do you just constantly build shit?
Speaker 2: I'm always doing something big property. It's sixtents of an acre, and then I've got one one structure that's the remnant of a burn down because my house burnt down to the ground in nineteen eighty seven.
Speaker 1: Okay, you lost yourmen eighty seven. I lost mine in eighteen and you rebuilt your home by hand.
Speaker 2: Well, the remnant was there, so I kept that as like a landscape office. And then this because I got some land from the city or the county that gave me six tenths of an acre. So I put a whole new septic system in and built a whole new house. He built a three thousand square foot craftsman. I figured I had five kids.
Speaker 1: Is three with your first wife, two with your second is out? Is the right math? I got there, and you're almost Are you an empty nester?
Speaker 2: Yet not yet? I to the youngest one, I'm kind of brainwashing. I want him to stick around.
Speaker 1: How old is the youngest seventeen?
Speaker 2: He's just no, no, he just turned twenty three, graduated.
Speaker 1: Twenty three, still in a nest.
Speaker 2: Well, he's just finished up college.
Speaker 1: Get him out of the house now.
Speaker 2: He's a good kid.
Speaker 1: Good for you, twenty three. So you did it, you pulled it off? You were Were you an old dad? I get I mean twenty three.
Speaker 2: I think I had my first kid because my oldest son is tigue. He's been on set. He's forty five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like your kids have worked on my show.
Speaker 2: Tig and Shay okay, and they're doing they're still doing well. They're making still taking care of some business and getting jobs.
Speaker 1: Wait, how old were do you? Do you know how old you were when you had your first one?
Speaker 2: Your friend?
Speaker 1: How old were you when you had your last child?
Speaker 2: Well? Twenty three from seventy? What's that?
Speaker 1: I don't know?
Speaker 2: Forty forty five, forty six? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Oh man, I'm an older dad than you are. Kids are great, Yeah, but did you ever get fixed afterwards? You get circum no?
Speaker 2: I like where they are.
Speaker 1: Did you ever get that?
Speaker 2: I got that? No choice?
Speaker 1: You never got avosectomy. Nope, So you could still have children?
Speaker 2: Probably could.
Speaker 1: Oh, good for you. Well, thanks for coming, Rick, and thanks for emptying out all of the trash at your home. Thanks you still you stole my bit? Rick, all right, thanks for being anybody?
Speaker 2: Thanks man?
Speaker 1: Okay, Psha, Thanks Rick, it's good seeing you and Carl head up. Come here, show everybody that Rick got you a headband. Huh loves it? You like it? The red of his junk?
Speaker 3: Holy shit, I mean there's a wide net of what he brought you.
Speaker 1: So many just random junk. Could you believe that?
Speaker 2: Carl?
Speaker 1: I was like, Rick, what are you doing? Just kept pulling stuff out and none of it made sense to the next thing. Here's some gardening gloves for your wife. What I mean I put I put some thought into my gifts. Well, that's nice of him. We got some plugs. You want to hear about him. Tossshowstore dot com. Start selling those headbands Eddie's tour check them out. Come see me on tour. Midwest tour starting this week. Kansas City, Omaha, let's go, Minneapolis, Milwaukee, Madison, Chicago. Do the right thing? Come say hi? You ready for the free plug? Surprised me? Some good music? Yeah that's not bad. A little social distortion. Knockoff this week's free plug. Oh you don't like this. Carl is for Off Leash Social. It was founded in twenty twenty two. It's like two years ago. Wow, this'll be the third one. All right. Off Leash Social is an all outdoor bar and restaurant in Johnson City, Tennessee. Hey, Johnson City.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 1: We did a couple of shows there last year. Yeah, we did two shows. We stayed zero nights because I wanted to be in a Knoxville because I love Knoxville. So I just stayed in Knoxville, went over and did the shows in Johnson City, and stayed in Johnson and Knoxville with my family is there because then we head on over to a pigeon forge, get some cinnamon toast, and uh go to Dollywood. You know what I do? Gosh, I do it. I did not like Johnson City. I loved Knoxville. Johnson City. Eh, that's not my cup of tea. But this sounds good. Off leash social. It's not like any dog park you've been to. Well, no, I thought it was a bar. They have live music concerts, trivia nights, movie nights, stand up comedy shows. Oh man, here I was shitting on it, watch parties, yoga, and a whole host of stuff. It sounds like it's just a park. Yeah, just go there and do what you want. Dogs must be six months are older and need to have their raby shot. Oh okay, here you go telling us what we got to do with our dog bodies. That's going to really upset a lot of the anti vaxer dog people. Admission is ten dollars for one day or forty dollars for one month unlimited? Is this every night? Kidding me? Discounts for year memberships and second dogs from the same household? Wait? Wait is it per person or is it per dog? Humans enter free? Okay, do you have to have a dog or can you just show up? What if you liked to just pet other people's dogs? I don't like those fucking people. I had a dog? Oh did you? Everyone has had a dog?
Speaker 3: Get another one?
Speaker 1: Right, get another one? Touch mine? Full bar and food menu available? Well? What kind of food are they serving here? And is there a table to sit at? I'm confused about this? Awfully social? Well I hope people get there. Johnson City, Tennessee. I love Johnson City. Well, good on you, whoever came up with this idea, See you next week.