Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Fridagg Podcast and Open Championship Week. This week's podcast and open coverage is brought to you by our friends at Greater Than. Greater Than is the healthiest sports drink on the market and delivers two times of electrolytes with half the sugars of their leading competition. It's my favorite sports drink to have while on or off the course. Check out Greater Than at drinkgt dot com and use the promo code the fried Egg with no Spaces to get twenty percent off your first order. The easiest way to get Greater Than and the way I get it is to sign up for their subscription service gets delivered monthly and if you sign up this week, you will get a free Fridagg hat with your subscription. That's drinkgt dot com and without any further delay, here's our open preview with Sean Martin and Brendan Porath.
Speaker 2: The fried Egg requires a different technique. What you need to do is actually square face, so they'll dig down underneath that bad lie and propel that mall right out onto the green.
Speaker 3: Here's the thing.
Speaker 4: Playing out of a buried lion of bunker is completely different than playing out of a nice clean lion of green side bunker. You need to be aggressive on any show weather it's sitting cleanly for its Friday Egg. Well we've all faithd it redreaded Frida Egg not to be feared though it's actually a pretty easy shot to hit.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, Welcome back to another edition of the Friday Egg Podcast. Today I am joined by Brendan Porath of esp Nation and Sean Martin of the PGA Tour to break down this week's Open Championship. Welcome on, guys, Andy, Am I having us back?
Speaker 4: Am I your first international guest in Friday history?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Sean Martin coming from Live on the ground. But now we've had international guests. We've had Mike Clayton from Australia. All right, that's Richie rams Richie Ramsey from from Scotland.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So nice to you to be able to get out of an airport terminal for this one.
Speaker 4: Sure, yeah, you know, have it fit you in. I've been here for nine days so I'm well Scottish life, ask me anything.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you're you're respecting audio, you know this is this is a rare appearance for you, not in an either a media center or airport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I hate the.
Speaker 4: Sound on my own voice, so I haven't listened back to the shinnacog one, but I definitely kind of want to just to hear what that that airport sounded like in that podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, only psychotic thinge people listen to the podcasts they're on or a video.
Speaker 4: I don't know how people do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have to have a be psychotic.
Speaker 1: So Sean, how is it as baked out as everybody's saying? What to give us some reporting from the ground? What can you tell us it is?
Speaker 4: And we got some little sprinkles this morning, so I think and Tiger kind of talked about that we're we're not quite at the point where we were. There was talk of like DJ driving it into the burn on eighteen, which is four hundred and fifty yards, but you're still you're getting guys talking about hitting three three thirty. I mean it's rolling outever, I mean it's gonna be the story of this open. There should be if you're having your open bingo or open drinking game. I think hoy Lake or Liverpool definitely has to feature prominently on the board. There's gonna be tons of comparisons to that, A lot of hope for people who want to see Tiger Wayne that he can kind of repeat that performance, and so there are a lot of similarities there. I think that you can see a lot of irons off the t's. You might see you guys not hit driver at all for the week. Definitely a lot depends on the wind too. Of sharing the train home with a caddy, and he was talking about how downwin the Paul just it does launch once it hits the faraway, but really, if you're into even a little bit of wind, it really holds it up pretty well and it doesn't roll nearly as much. And I don't have my exact wind gauge on me, but I feel like walking around some days in the morning and the afternoon, the wind does switching up where holes can play down win in the morning and into win in the afternoon. So it's just there's a lot of variables. Of players are always are of the Open Championship, and I think that's definitely gonna be part of it this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the weather looks pretty good for the week, so it doesn't I mean, from what I've seen, it doesn't look like there's going to be one of those crazy Open Championship days yet, but with you know, pretty good weather conditions, it you might escape that possibility of one side of a draw getting like an unbelievably huge advantage over the other side.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we don't have a lot of win in the forecast. I think like fifteen miles an hours the most, and then Friday a little like occasional rain as they put it in the mornings about the extent of the rain. So it's gonna be good for ice cream sales, it's gonna be good for equity of the draw, so it should be a pretty good, well runded Open Championship.
Speaker 1: So Brendan, what are you what are you watching for? Do you have any random facts you remember from the last time they open was at Carnoustie.
Speaker 3: Also, huh, I don't know. I'm trying to think you want like random drama or random beefs. I think the thing I loved most about the last time at carnelis do is Rory's outfit. You know, I got the scripting, but he was, you know, amateur the time. He's doing the deep V neck button up cardigan, you know, with the floppy hair. It's just interesting. To think about how far we've come in only eleven years and now he's kind of the ripped guy and the the Nike blade collars and the assortment of athletic gear.
Speaker 1: That was your favorite version of Rory Fat Rory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was like he was like pudgy Rory, kind of on his way out of fat Rory. Really a nice medium, happy medium there so hadn't quite hadn't quite you know, he hadn't turned pro yet and made the money to kind of plump up, you know. It was just kind of innocent, pudgy, amateur Rory.
Speaker 1: So while we're talking about Rory, what do you guys think, do you think he's got got majors? And I mean, is the putter that big of a problem?
Speaker 4: I don't know, man, I still have a little bitk was so jarring. I mean, he was out the USA was basically over for him at like am Thursday. We were all riding that high of he wins at bay Hill and he plays the fund group with the Masters and obviously very heartbreaking loss, but uh had played well for the most part and then just comes out at Chinnacock and it's just I mean, was he nine over after nine ten over after ten, it was he was jarring, and you know, I mean the Rory story is always always plays well in soft conditions, and I just feel like that exacerbated that storyline because it was firm as fast and it was a very early ejection that I just I can't recover from it yet, and I can't quite take him this week.
Speaker 1: His his putter at Travelers now two years in a row has been insane how poor it has been. It must be something about those greens, because like, what was it last year he went through three putter changes in a week, and then this year he was I think seventy second in strokes gain putting for the week, and you know he's by far, like I think he was three shots clear the next person in strokes gain tee to green. So I don't know, it's it's just a matter everything kind of coming together. But if he puts field average, he's going to be in the top five, you know, yep, it's just getting him to put field average.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I guess my discussion of his sweater brought us here, But yeah, I just think he's kind of a I don't know, not a bit player. He never is, but he's just like a part of the crowd this week, I would say, I'm not like I think, you know, obviously there's always he's one of the top ten players in the world, there's always the potential for him to contend.
Speaker 5: I just I don't know that he's putting well enough.
Speaker 3: He seems like he's working through a lot of different things and trying to go back to a there's like more natural swaying. He talks about oh nine, you know fat Rory Sway. You know, things aren't always bad when he got some extra weight on you. So yeah, it seems like he's just kind of trying to figure out some things. So I think he's just kind of part of a larger group that's worth talking. Maybe maybe not sticking out as much as he does that you know, the Masters where we have that natural storyline we always want to talk about and some of the others.
Speaker 1: What storyline are you guys watching, Like, what storyline are you buying most this week? Which is your favorite one?
Speaker 3: Go ahead?
Speaker 4: Sol non Hideki division. I do love that that Hideki Tiger Rueknox pairing. I'm all in on Russell Knox. The last Scottish win in the Open came at Carnoustie in nineteen ninety nine. Two of the last three Scottish winners were at Carnoustie. I just think a guy who is playing very well, is on a good run of form, he hits it dead straight and the course is going to play short. I just have high hopes for Rude Knox. I know it's not like one of the major storylines. We're getting pretty off topic here. We're gonna start talking about probably the Eastern Amateur next or something. But I'm in on that, and I think I've been on Brooks. I think, I mean Shinnacock was firm and fast, and I think winning at Shinnacock. I don't know that Brooks ever doubted his ability, is full of confidence, but I think winning at Shinnecock I think showed all of us a lot, and I would think showed him a lot too that I mean, he already knew he could play majors. It's now eleven straight majors, where twenty first are better. But I mean, I feel like, if it's really firm, really fast, we saw what Brooks did at Shinnacock, I think it's gonna be all about iron and play, and I think, you know, I think Brooks is a name to watch, and if he did, that'd be three majors.
Speaker 1: I feel like the firm conditions might mitigate distance a little. In the distance advantage, I think you'll see. I mean, guy like Zach Johnson all of a sudden has a chance. I love Molinari with the way he's playing. But what about Hideki No no top ten since Hawaii.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Caddy changed this week apparently too. According to my friends in the Japanese media, it's a little shake up in Campadecki trying to mix things up a little bit. I don't know, I you know, he had the heartbreaking loss of the PGA. Any of the wrist injury risk injuries are hard to come back from, shaking confidence from the PGA, and I could see, I could just see, you know. It's just it's been a dark time in Hideki land. But I do. I like Molinari a lot and knocks. Both those guys hated so dead straight, but as firm as is too. Any sidesman on the ball and the ball's gonna bounce anywhere. So Rue and Francesco to the hottest players in the world, and really to the straightest players in the world, so I'm also all in on those picks.
Speaker 3: I mean, I think the biggest story, you know we're sitting here on Tuesday, is gonna be the course and is the course. And it's hard to say that with Tiger in the field too, but I just I think, like in all the lead up days, this is just so extreme and different from what we're used to, even for the Open and and like I hate to play into the line of baked out. Baked out. Yeah, you're gonna hear that every three minutes, and you're gonna hear every synonym for it used throughout the weekend.
Speaker 5: I just I'm like fast by it.
Speaker 3: I'm fascinated by seeing the best in the world try and play it, figure out how to play it. Seems like we're getting. For me, like the biggest storyline is that there seems to be a really clear cut, like divergence of strategies. We hear Rory and DJ and Ron and some of these other big hitters saying like, well, it's burned out. The burned out effect for them is that the rough is now whispy and they could they feel like they can play out of it. That may be kind of a I don't know, a poor strategy, but that's the way they're thinking. So they're gonna vomit over everything, and and they're not worried about missing, you know, the fairway. You know, of course there are different parts of missing miss fairways that are worse than others, but they just feel like the burned outness of it has has made it more of a bomber's a bomber's paradise, I guess this week. And then there's the other other track of you know, strategy, like a speed saying I'm just gonna you know, growler thinks I can just hit floor irons all day, and you know, I just really find that so fascinating. We don't we don't see this. We don't see a course deliberately like this so often and the way it's really and there seems to be no uniform response to how to play it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think Carnousti's been known as the toughest Open Championship course for a long time, one of the toughest venues in all of golf in it and it kind of is that way because of how narrow it is. But you know, with the distance thing in it being thinner in the in the wispy long stuff that actually might you know, take some of the teeth out of the the golf course where I you know, remember growing up watching at Carneuci like ninety nine, like yeah, that if you missed the fairway was just dead. And and if it's a little bit thinner and it's going to be a little more unpredictable. But at the end of the day, I think when you've got a wedge in your hand, is going to I mean, it's a lot less you know, challenging, and it's the longest golf course in the open rod to and obviously the firm conditions will make it play much much much shorter. So I mean, I imagine with the with what I've been seeing, the course is you know, seventy four hundred yards probably playing sixty eight sixty seven hundred yards and if you you know, adjusted it for how firm and fast it is, right Sean, Yeah.
Speaker 4: The thing that kind of helps with the whole bomb and Gouge mentality is that the greens are very green. They've kept them very healthy. You know, I think we saw St. Andrews in twenty fifteen. What happens if they get the greens a little too speedy, then all of a sudden, you know, twenty twenty five miles wind ghost comes and which isn't too uncommon here and you got to stop play. So that'll take out some of the necessity to play to angles. But I talked to Russell today, Russell Knox, and he said he thinks that angles are going to be big this week, and that Carnousti, you know, walking around today, it's the way it's bunkered. There's always seems to be two A lot of times there's two sets of bunkers that you might be able to carry one, but then you're bringing the other one into play, and guys might be able to do what Speed did last year, where you're intentionally aiming at the rough because you know, the rough is maybe a quarter shot penalty, maybe even less, while as a pop bunker, especially here where they seem to be the deepest pop bunkers I've ever seen at a links course, is maybe a one shot penalty or at least three quarters of a shot. But I don't know. You just you can't roll around this place without abandon even with the rough being wispy, you know, Russell talked about a really experienced links player. He thinks he is going to win here when you look. You know podrig One here, he's a links player. Paul Lourie from Scotland one here. I think four of the seven winners here have been from the British Isles. Tom Watson won here. He was a master of links. So I think that I don't know. I don't think Carnoustie, even in these conditions, allows guys to just kind of play with a punity. I think that you'll see a lot of driving irons and I don't know, I just it seem it seemed hard for me. I'm not one of the top players in the world. It seems hard for me to walking around today to just see opportunities for guys to just blow it all over the place.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, what I'm kind of watching and what I've been thinking about a little bit is you know, we've had all the slew of first time major winners, and obviously Brooks has been kind of the first of that crop to get the second major title, like we have Dustin john You look at down the world rankings, Dustin Johnson, Justin Thomas, Justin Rose, top three players all only have one major championship. Then you go, you know, you've got Jason Day, You've got Patrick Reid, you've got Henrik Stenson, Sergio all all first time you know, one time major winners. And I think there's a big, you know, opportunity for these guys to you know, separate themselves and put them into another pantheon with a second major win. And what you were just describing made me kind of think of like, you know, great links player that has won an Open Championship is Sergia.
Speaker 4: Yeah, uh, Sergio a little runner up here, you know, seven little heartbreak. But also to go like go back to the stats, Uh, five of the seven winners here in the Hall of Fame, and that doesn't include pottery who's going to get in? So basically six of the seven players who've won here Hall of famers. I think, I think when we had a class winner. So I think that kind of falls into what you're saying.
Speaker 3: I'm a big Copka kopka guy. Again, I can't you know, I don't know that I'll pick him back to back, but uh, from from a Link standpoint, I kind of like Fleetwood. He seems, you know, based on what we saw at Shinnecock. I don't know if he's like as linksy.
Speaker 1: A player, as like a course record holder at yep yep, but obviously a different, different kind of course that keep saying that you'll hear that once or twice.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I think of the euro group, fleet was kind of that's not really a trendy ear of a dark horse pick, but he's the.
Speaker 5: One guy like on the English side.
Speaker 3: And Knox, I mean, I've seen you've been tweeting all week about Russell Knox Sean and they took you, you know, less than ten minutes to get into him today, but you know, it's kind of hard to ignore his form really through that like role X Series Ron and and everything, you know, the links the links portion of the schedule. So I think I think Knox and Fleetwood are my two favorite Euros.
Speaker 1: So we got a question from Kyle Davis, who who's asked is the Open the best overall major when you take into consideration TV coverage, road of courses, the RNA setup and you know, just links golf all that comes with it. What do you guys think about that?
Speaker 3: It is for me and I wrote this a couple of years ago and kind of reheat it and update it every year. I don't know what what I think the modern Open, and.
Speaker 5: I'll i'll say maybe the last decade.
Speaker 3: Has really branded itself really well. I just think it's really distinct and my and this is this is a personal opinion. So my personal interaction with this championship just seems more meaningful than others. I don't know why. Like I just feel like I remember more often of like where I was and remember taking it in more when it was whatever Tiger in two thousand and five, or Tiger in two thousand, or you know Phill in twenty thirteen, Rory in twenty fourteen. I just remember more about My personal interaction with this tournament just feels extra special. I like all the others too. I love the Masters, I love the US Open for a very different reason than this. But I don't I don't. I think just there's so many things about this that TV coverage, this time change, which I think is really really fun for a US audience for one week a year, it's not fun. This isn't something we want to do, right Liarly. I think it's that's I think that actually plays into the identity of the tournament for US audience, and then obviously just a style of golf. It's so refreshing. We're going to Bellery in three weeks or whatever. It's just it's nice to know that you can rely on this and this may be a kind of a you know this, this may be even an extreme case for firm and fast, but you just know the visual of it is going to be so different from from what we're used to and and I just think like the way it's really the RNA has branded it over the last decade. They're very very consistent and specific and clean, and I just think that they put on the best championship.
Speaker 4: Yeah. I mean I grew up in California, so I think you know, your final group was teamed off at like seven am, and so it was pretty awesome. It was so early. I mean, you can watch the whole thing and then you know it's over by like before noon you go play golf. So I always have fond memories of of that kind of it's cool too because you can get up early and just watch the golf and kind of curl up on the couch. And I definitely have a lot of fun memories of that, and at least golf is so unique. Tiger today was like beaming talking about how he played Carnoustie when he played as an amateur in the Scottish Open, and talking about how he spent two hours just hitting all these different clubs to the one hundred yards sign and he putted from eighty yards and I mean it was like the biggest smile I mean that I've seen on his face and maybe ever. I think part of that was just kind of recalling his youth and time with his dad and back when golf was a more innocent pursuit and he wasn't being hounded by everyone and everyone's snapping photos of him with cell phone cameras and stuff. But I think also just you know, you tweeted the thing that he had from Chronicles of an Open Champion, and I think people like just like seeing that challenge and like playing in that challenge. It's just so different. It's so unique that Yeah, I think the uniqueness of it, I think it's awesome.
Speaker 3: I'd strongly recommend going and finding that clip of Tiger. I'm sure it's on like golf channel dot com or someplace like that that has the press conferences. The Tiger talking about that was first time at Carnoustie, which is what ninety five no, yeah, yeah, in an amateur event. It just hitting too that one hundred meters sign. He's like, I just stayed there for two hours. I hit nine irons to it, I hit five irons, I hit wedges to it. It's just and my dad is like, are you ever going to hit it past one hundred meters sign? He's like, no, this is so much fun. And he was just smiling the whole time. And I think he went on a soliloquy for I don't know, like three minutes just talking about it. I just would strongly recommend. I know I'm kind of restating what Sean said, but I would strongly recommend, just just because there was so much context. It's like facial expressions and smiling around it was. It was really cool to hear him talk about the style. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think the Open is another example of why variety is so important for off like whether it be the type of golf you're playing, or you know, the type of players on a leader board, or you know, even a golf course within a golf course having variety, but you know the Open Championship gives us a completely different look and feel from every other tournament that we, you know, as Americans are conditioned to watch. And if you look at the last you know, I was talking with Will Knights too, who writes for the site, and he does these you know, ranking the last ten, you know, ranking the last decade pieces for majors, and we were talking about the Open Championship and just like how many memorable ones there have been. I mean last year you had you know, Jordan yelling at Grell or go get that. But then the year before you had this Stinton Michelson Duel. I mean you have like, you know, Zach Johnson, Leishman and Oustaysan in a playoff the year before that at Saint Andrews. But then you had like Stuart Sink and Tom Watson going at it well you know, like maybe one of the most memorable Opens, and you know you had Philip Mirfield that was a great Open. Like in the last decade, you know, there have been so many great Open Championships, and I think more so than every other tournament, they've been the most memorable tournament and memorable tournament of recent memory.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just and for like different reasons. I feel like, you know, the last decade, they's just like I was saying, my personal interaction with it.
Speaker 5: I just remember so much about each one.
Speaker 3: Like Phil, there was like that triumphalism of just feeling like I just played the best round of my golf, the best round of my life, and it kind of came out of nowhere. That wasn't like a ton of hype. He was in, you know, one of the last four or five groups and it just happened and then all of a sudden it was over. You know, he wasn't even in the coverage until like the like ninth hole, and all of a sudden, you know, two hours later he played the round of his life. And so often with Phil, there's so much hype and build up in a full day. And Rory was different. You know, Rory was great, you know more because of like it was the full pack of Rory. He was hitting freaking lasers, you know, five irons into par five and making eagle, and it was so different, Like it was the dominance of Rory that we thought was going to be like the number one, you know, the post Tiger player. I just feel like this and you're talking about sink first time Watson or the year after, its speed kind of challenging for the Slam, and somehow Zack Johnson went, there's just like it's memorable for a lot of different reasons, and it's been on kind of an incredible run, which kind of scares me also that we're due for kind of a dud or a flop winner.
Speaker 1: So so from r J tapist, could we see the firmness that Carnussie make it play to point where minus fifteen is a winning score? You know, we all know power doesn't matter, but could it make Carnoussie easier.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm still over the mindset that it's going to be a higher winning score.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I mean Pottery shots seven under, when the place was basically almost winless, it was damp, it was playing about as easy as it can in seven under one. I just think, I mean, this is a very unique set of circumstances, but the layout is just tough enough that I think even with this it's it'll stand up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I saw it today. The over under for low round is what sixty three and a half? Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think you tweeted those and immediately want to reply over in all caps on everything, just over everything.
Speaker 3: Okay, I saw them an email. I think people are expecting, you know, someone to go super low. I don't know if you can back that up to two days in a row or post you know, four mid sixties und high sixties rounds. I say that, but it just seems like everyone's expecting this to be ani.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fact that the greens are kind of soft. But I think I feel like those greens could bake out real quick. I mean, and actually one of the difficult things is if if those fairways are as firm as everybody's saying, so they're really firm fairways. If the greens are soft, those are actually really tough conditions to play in. Is when you've got a lot of inconsistency between the faraway and the green, and I think, yeah, I have a hard time seeing you know, sixteen seventeen under. But I mean, if anything with the low wind, sunny, you know, good conditions like this would be the year that that would happen. Granted part doesn't really matter, you know, right, So what about the burn naming water features? Do you know this comes from Barry W You guys think it's overrated, underrated, you know, the barry Burn Rays Creek.
Speaker 4: Mean I'm in I mean just because it's not like someone came along and like named these for like a postcard, like they're historical bodies of water. It's not like they just this wasn't like a branding exercise. There's a town of Bury nearby the Burry Mill. It's water wheel is powered by the Barry Burn. So it's not like, you know, just some marketer came by and it was like, all right, we need to name this burn after Manilo or Bonds or Sanders. It's just I don't know, I don't You can't criticize a historic water monument that was probably around before the golf course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it's it's it's fine, it's underrated if the thing's been there forever. It's not you know, some sort of you know, live under par activation or something like that.
Speaker 4: Plus how good is it that the thing is twelve feet wide and it just it messes with people so much, like it's you feel like you could jump across it if you've got a running start, and yet it plays a huge, a huge part and you're thinking on on several holes and a lot of great golf courses do that. I think Cal Club has a great creek on one of the holes and just shows you don't need a giant pond with a fountain. You can have a great hazard that's twelve feet wide.
Speaker 3: So how many times does it cross?
Speaker 1: I think it's three times on eighteen alone, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So it kind of first, the course kind of goes along the perimeter of the property. This is not like a traditional out and back linx. It goes around basically the square of the property for the most part, and then on the inside is the other course, the burn side, And so you kind of see it on ten. It's not really in play. Ten's a pretty short hole and it's short, it's short enough from the green that's not really be in play, but you basically see it. You first see it kind of left of sixteen, which is a two hundred and fifty yard par three that you're trying to squeeze like a ferry wood in between two huge bunkers that are fifteen yards apart, and the hole just looks impossible, but really as seventeen when comes into play, it the thing is like a snake goes up the left it goes in front of the seventeenth tee right before the landing area. Then it goes up the left side, then it crosses again, and so really the hole if you go down the left side, I mean, the burn's right there and there's basically no rough, and you can go in it pretty easily if you want to try to hit it up on the hole. The burn crosses like kind of a diagonal left to right, so you can try to squeeze up the right side, but if you pull it or hook it trying to squeeze it into that right corner, you can easily go in the burn. And then eighteen. It's not really in play off the tee. You have to really snipe one because the rough left of eighteen is really really thick. It's the by far of the thickest part of the golf course. I saw Adam Hadwin lose a ball in the rough, and so it isn't playing in front of the green. I forgot. I was watching Golf Channel documentary on ninety nine that Laurie bounced it over the burn and regulation like we talk about Vandervelt and all that stuff, but Laurie got this humongous break just to get in that playoff.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know smart and you're on site, so you're adjusted to Scottish time. Brendan, what's your what's your schedule? What? What do you think about adjusting your schedule this year?
Speaker 4: How?
Speaker 1: I know we we did last year the stay up all night thing and that was pretty crazy. But what are you planning on this this week?
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna stay out. I mean, I'm gonna be I'm gonna be ready locked in one thirty a m. Eastern on Thursday. But there are many, many, many different energy drinks. The strategy, well, that's certainly an aid. There's many strategies on how to flip into open time for you know, unemployed or oddly employed people who don't have any obligations Thursday or Friday. I think the thing to do is one of these nights you just have to power through and kind of stay up all night and then like flip and go to bed at like eight eight pm Scottish time. So like I think usually it's usually the thing. Or if you don't have to be working, darn it. You know, Wednesday night you pick like you go out to late dinner, like ten o'clock.
Speaker 5: Obviously nothing crazy. You don't like go out for.
Speaker 3: Ribs or a bunch of you know pasta that's going to knock you out. Uh, go out for light dinner, maybe light seafood late Wednesday night, maybe maybe you have a cocktail or two kind of like you know, start feeling good and then you just power through Thursday and crash. You know, you can switch from cocktails to coffee at some point, usually like four or five. You know, you get that star power group coming in around four. I think this year it's Beef coming on at four. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think there's another one right behind them too. You gotta yeah and uh no Rom and.
Speaker 3: Ricky, Okay, Phil's pretty early phills like at three am. You like switch to coffee kind of around that time, and you just power through t like early afternoon. So here's my just you nap a little when you get home from Wednesday, Wednesday work, late dinner Wednesday, A couple of cocktails power through you flipped coffee about like four o'clock as those big groups come on and you get to you know where this is headed. You don't eat heavy. You can't be eating heavy. You can't be having this big breakfast and all that crap.
Speaker 1: When when do you pop in a monster and what flavor do you go with?
Speaker 3: I've been waiting like a casual sipping that's just ever present. I think like you you should shotgun on at ten am basically like inhale it inhale it at ten am, chase it with like an espresso, and then you're good to go, man, And then go have a light lunch maybe like a like a grilled cheese or something, something light, not too heavy on the bread or cheese, and you're good. You get to like four or five o'clock, you crash around five pm, and you're good for the next three days.
Speaker 1: Do you say goodbye to your wife and kids before you do this?
Speaker 3: That's understood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's Now that we've gotten Brendan's breakdown of his recipe for Open Championship success, it's important to point out one major flaw, a lack of hydration. One of the keys to having energy is staying hydrated, and there's no better way to do that than with our Open Championship sponsor Greater Than It's a healthy and delicious sports drink with two times the electrolytes of his competition buy Greater Than at drinkgt dot com and use the promo code the fried Egg with No Spaces to get twenty percent off your order. Now back to the podcast. And I don't know what I'm gonna do this year. I'm probably gonna do a super early wake up, probably like a I'm probably gonna clock in at four am. You know, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna go through the all night thing. And you know, to be honest, I'm not that excited to watch like Sandy lylety Off like doesn't do it for me.
Speaker 3: And that's a dirty secret about this. It's it's uh like that first year they started it at one thirty, which is like insanely early even for Scotland, you know, like it's insanely early in the actual time zone where the Turkey being played, and it was Colin Montgomery at truon and all that, you know stuff.
Speaker 5: But like it's kind of quiet until like three or four, like.
Speaker 3: ESP would come on at four o'clock on Thursday and Friday.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm pretty excited about the two to eight pairing of Mark Calcavecchia, Dante Boomna and Sean Newis is that Norris or newis.
Speaker 4: I think it's Norris, Isn't it?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: I've gotten in front of me. It's spelled with two oh's and in one r oh. Really yeah, maybe miss spelled.
Speaker 3: I gotta be honest.
Speaker 4: I might need. They have a different energy drink for sale in the in the meat center. It's one sponsored by a top ten player in the world. Won't name names, but I may need what. I haven't had a good night sleep since I got here, the whole not getting dark until past ten and then getting lighted at four am. It really messed with you. And I'm going about nine days now without quality sleep. So I may have to follow your own your own plane there.
Speaker 1: What what do you guys think about the pairings for the open they?
Speaker 4: What do you?
Speaker 3: Let's see it? I lost you there, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I lost everybody there.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 1: I said, what do you guys think about the pairings with the non You know they're kind of stacked but not super stacked. Do you like Do you like this?
Speaker 4: I'll go. I liked Kyle's take. I thought Kyle, our friend Kyle Porter of CBS, of course, was spot on. I think that the kind of two thirds groups where it's like two big names, and you know the third name that they really could slot in there to make it just a super group. They don't go there. Uh, they just have two really big names and a lesser one. I like that for just the overall flow, especially if you're someone like Brendan or you know, you guys getting up at like two in the morning. They're kind of just sprinkled throughout the tea times. And you know, I was going through I did our feature groups file for pere dot com and I did like ten groups because there were so many that you had to pay attention to. And I think that's good for viewing, because yeah, they're sprinkled, sprinkled throughout. It's not just really solid, these two solid blocks of every big name you can think of.
Speaker 1: What's what's your favorite one, Sean Cintia, Since you went through that, I just actually wrote something.
Speaker 4: I've already let my feelings be known. I think it's it's definitely Tiger Hideki Knox. Uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know who I'm gonna love watching is read Usti Louis.
Speaker 4: And Paul case It's a very classy group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paul Paul Casey something else. I mean I feel like he I mean when you start talking about, you know, best player without a major, I think he's got to be in the mix in the conversation. He's still consistent, and I think he's got fifteen top fifteens and majors over the course of his career.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 1: The one thing is he's never had like a really close close call in a major, like you'd never have felt like, well, you know, Paul Casey should have won that major like you do with like where Ricky's had what he's they had three runner ups, four runner ups now and Ousti's had you know, four runners up and one in each major, which is pretty incredible. Do you guys have any any sleepers outside of Russell Knox Sean that you're looking at?
Speaker 4: What do you consider a sleep? Right?
Speaker 3: Sander Showtley is eighty to one? How about I got one? Who else is the one? Lee Westwood? Is that a sleep? He's barely a golfer anymore.
Speaker 4: Hasney flashed a little form recently?
Speaker 3: Yes, Yes, he's been andy.
Speaker 1: I mean I I re purchased my foreclothes property on Westwood Island recently because he's been really playing well. I mean you can see, yeah, since I mean I'm I'm working on a sponsorship deal to get some airwest He's sent directly to me. But you look at you know, you watch his Instagram, you can tell he's been. He's been in the gym. He's still eating a ton, he's still eating and drinking a ton. But you know he's been. He's been practicing a little bit more and he's been in the gym a lot. You know, I think there's a resurgence here at in the late forties here for Westy, And to be honest, this could be the spot for him. You know, baked out. You know, he's got he can, he's so good tea to green. It's just like a matter of just putting okay, you know, just not missing so many short putts. You know, I feel like my life's been haunted by Lee Westwood missing four footers on Saturdays and Sundays. Like I mean, it's just like a vivid memory of like, you know how he stands. You know, he he's got a distinct posture over a putt. But then when he would just shove him right, you know, like they'd immediately off the club face, be like right of the hole, and you'd be like, oh you missed it again, but like the way he would stand over the putt like after you know, rolls by the hole like you know, it's like the look of a guy that knew he had no chance of making that putt, and it's, uh, you know, if he could somehow get around that, I mean we'd be talking about probably, you know, the second best player of this generation.
Speaker 4: Oh wow, what about the big Kiwi Ryan Fox?
Speaker 1: That guy pounds the ball.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think he's like the son of a rugby player or something.
Speaker 3: He's built like a rick ship house.
Speaker 4: He's one hundred the Irish Open obviously, uh so, and then t six at Scottish Opens, so playing the links.
Speaker 1: Well, what about Paul Dunn, Yeah, I didn't even is in the field that. Yeah, he's kind of d like a sneaky like really good year. You know, I know he's on on the bubble of Ryder Cup team. But then I mean you're talking about a guy that was in the final group as an amateur and an open, So I think he could be a sleeper.
Speaker 3: I think you Lion's one hundred and fifty to one.
Speaker 5: What do you think of him?
Speaker 4: Class player? I like it. Actually, I was like, I'm shocked at eighty to one. Is Rafa carbrera.
Speaker 3: Bao too high.
Speaker 4: I think that's it. I would I'd hop on that in a second.
Speaker 3: That's why. Yeah, he's like the.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I'm not a big odds guy. I've only hopped on golf odds for the first time. We've done all this, so, uh.
Speaker 1: You know, I kind of like as the resurgent Danny Willett. Yeah, you know, everybody left him for dead. He's he's back busy. I don't know, I don't I feel like he falls into this bucket of like guys that, like really good players that have gone through like the doul Drums, one of which is Westy. I mean Westy went through like a two year period where he completely lost it in like the what was it the early two thousands, and then Henrik Stenson, I mean Stenson had the legit Shanks a couple of years ago, and uh and will It's just the latest of it. I mean, I don't think Smiley Kauffman's coming back from it, but I think, you know, will it will It is coming back. He's not He's a great player.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was number one amateur in the world at one point, he just.
Speaker 5: Had injury and you know, swing changes and all sorts of issue.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think the barn Rat the Barbara's kind of advancing past just being like an internet nomenon, Like he's not just a giant who babes and drives porsches. Like he's actually played pretty well at some big events this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that. I like the barn Rat too. He's he's he's got a tough pairing though, I just I I like the barn Rat, but I don't like the high profile pairing he's in. I feel like that that hinders his chances. Sure, it's a I like olisen to the Thunderbear. Yeah, he's uh, you know, the only reason I know how to do those the lines through an oh is because of him and on a keyboard. But I like him. He's been I think he's got top tens and three of his last five events and one of them is a win.
Speaker 4: So that's like a quarter of the field. Now we're really I mean, we'll pretty much just pick a winner if we just keep going.
Speaker 1: I do who's so, who's your winner? If you ships her down?
Speaker 4: I was huge on Hendrick until the report came out this Yeah, thel the elbow thing really killed it. I was huge on Hendrick, I was very big on strops gained approach. The green is kind of the determinant of what to pick based off of. But not being said, I'm not sure who I think Brooks, I'm gonna go Brooks. I'm all in on Brooks. I loved some of the things he said at Shinnacock when things out of the hand and people asked him why he didn't complain. He just said, you know, when you complained, you're just allowing yourself to make excuses. I'm not gonna make excuses. And then he also said that I love golf where you have to aim away from the flagstick. I feel like it tests my discipline. Like you don't hear a lot of twenty eight year olds say that, like readily admit that they're readily welcome aiming away from the stick. So he just he has that kind of maturity, And yeah, I don't know have a problem anyway from flag sticks. I feel like so many guys do have a problem with that.
Speaker 3: That's a fascinating interview with Joey d Earlier, she's talking about how Kopka loves like the punishing workout I was supposed to it. Likes to be like beat up. Maybe that's where he gets his discipline, just throwing out the middle of the green my winner. I loved Koepka again, but you know, he came through for me last time. I am picking Patrick Reid. I think he's a different, different player since he won the Masters. I think, you know, we've seen him compete pretty consistently after an underwhelming major start to his major's career. You know, he's around the green. He's maybe the best, one of the best in the world. That's back that up. He's pretty good, above average approaching the green. You know. His one weakness is technically distanced, you know, off the tee, and I think that'll be mitigated of it this week. I think it's more of like a control and plotting game. And I just think he's uh. I think he's a really different confident Like I mean, he's obviously confident, but he talked to himself about how he was really nervous.
Speaker 5: He used to get nervous in Majors and he was nervous to Masters.
Speaker 3: And how different it felt at Shinnecock. Since you know, the post Masters win and we saw him con Don there again. I just think he's like a different player now the masters want to do that, and I think he's got the kind of game, certainly around the Green to win this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's been on a run T second at the PGA win and what do he finished fourth or third at at Shinnacock fourth, I think, so, man, that's a pretty good three major run. And this in the course of this podcast, I have talked myself into Sergio.
Speaker 4: So wow.
Speaker 1: You know, I know he hasn't had the best year he's but he's got top top ten and then at T. Twelfth in his last two starts, and I just I think some experience. He's had so many close goals. I mean, the Open Championship is the one that you expected Sergio to get. I mean they did. It fits it fits his game more so than any other major championship. So I'm rolling with the experienced guy, and Sergio move moves himself a nottchup and you know, the greatest players of all time with with another major win.
Speaker 3: We talked real quick about Cat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we got to talk about Cat quickly.
Speaker 5: I don't know if that's possible.
Speaker 3: So I heard now this has become a big talking point. This is the best chance. The Open is the best chance for him to win another major rest of his career, and this specific one is the best of the best chance of the Open to win this week this week.
Speaker 1: So I think I think I got to disagree with this week being the best chance. But the Open I think is the best chance for anybody because the weather can just knock out half the field and given the draw and the weather or not, well, that's that's why I'm saying that it can't be this year. Yeah, so this year, it can't be that year because if the weather is the way it's forecasted, you know the draw is going to be equal, so you're gonna have a whole field to contend with. So I think with regards to like the ability to hit irons and plot his way around the course, that's that's great. Like that's it. But I mean, like the last time we saw him at quicken Loans, he was, he was, he was great t to Green, I mean it. I think it definitely plays his hands where he can hit irons. I think he's got a good shot this week. I would put him probably outside the top ten in favors right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's kind of under the radar. It's crazy he's twenty five to one.
Speaker 4: It's a huge ever under the radar. It is a lot of that is big.
Speaker 3: Odds though we're talking about relative Tiger, Like he's just he's under the radar for Tiger, and that's an enormous number for a guy who's like, in effect then a top.
Speaker 5: Twenty player in the world this year, right, I mean he's not.
Speaker 3: His ranking says something different, but his play is out of like a top twenty player in.
Speaker 5: The world and for him to you know, he's not.
Speaker 3: He had much lower numbers. He was like his back was a mess, he had no chance, like he has a chance this week. Twenty five to one just seems really high for a Tiger and the realm of Tiger.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was. I mean, I agree with all of it. I think the Open, for so many reasons that we've talked about, fits him so well and fits him well for years, because, like he talked about, you can even when he gets you know, older, you can you know, have to hit as far you can run it up. And I was trying to prepare this contrarian take where it's like, yeah, he's won three Opens, but two were Saint Andrew's. And then I pulled up his record and he has nine top tens in nineteen starts, and that I mean really nine top tens basically in fifteen starts where he had a chance, discounting the amateur starts, and then twenty fifteen I think anominallyes so he basically three quarters of his starts he's finishing top ten at the Open. H it's I think it is. It's a great reform. I think it just it kind of gets the gears flowing. And I think maybe because there's so much enthusiasm for it and so much creativity, it maybe takes away a little bit of the nerves. I think it's a very amateur psychology take, but I think that I don't know. I think that he feels more comfortable there maybe than anywhere else because he knows that he can do things differently, he can be creative and he doesn't have to you know, you don't play perfect the Open, you have to play smart.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think the Open is a much more like instinctual golf. It's not a you know, there's this this ongoing debate between you know, is golf science or is it art? And I think when you're out in the Open Championship with the conditions, the weather, you know, the firmness, like it becomes so much less scientific and so much more about feel and and just you know, knowing how to play and just you know, proper golf. And I think that's why you see, you know, the list of players. Obviously you get some some flukey winners just because of weather and stuff, but you get you know, a real class leaderboard and class players almost every time out with it with the Open. And I think, uh, you know that's how it fits Tiger so well. Is that when when the trips are down and you know, like we saw it so much through his career, is like when he you know, when when his back's up against the wall, but it's all about just hitting that shot. He was you know, one of the class players and always came up with the shot because it was like you know, he was you know, it's kind of like golf in your childhood when you're you know, playing and you're racing against darkness, like you can't see anything. You're just you're just swinging and hitting the shot. It's not uh you know, you you kind of I think you lose that a little bit when it's just you know, kind of point and shoot and all numbers based, and with the green books, like it's become so scientific and going somewhere where it's so firm and you can get a bad bounce out of the blue, brings back the art of it a little bit more.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there's something a couple of years ago that it was really telling. And when Phil switched to Andrew gets and he was talking about how like he really basically felt he had the genesis, like the bulk of what they were trying to do down like he had that part of swing and now he tried to learn kind of and get back into the finer hand motions to create a little you know, different shots and hit a little bit higher, cut it a little bit, draw it a little bit. And you know, we look at golf swings as like this macro thing. We break down swing plane and we look at the big motions because that's what you can catch on camera. But you know, impact of the freshmous second and so much of it and what talent, I think what a lot of it is is just that little bit extra ability to you know, control it and manipulate it and save it sometimes and work it sometimes with the hands. And so I think you get over here, and you know Tiger's working on that, and Tiger's he got trying to hit fine shots to take this little you know, extra hand motion that kind of like you were saying, put the artistry back in it. And so he's been so swing centric. You know, he's changing things up the past few years. And and I think that you know, going back to maybe just playing golf again, I think helps him get out of that, you know, basically the whole thing of playing golf versus playing golf swing type deal.
Speaker 1: So Will Knights, Uh, you know Ben Curtis, Hunter, Mayhanan and Mike where we're all in the top ten the last time the Open was at Carnal State. Of these three, who would you be most surprised if they want another major?
Speaker 3: Was it Ben Curtis, Mayhan and Weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean it has me.
Speaker 4: Ben Curtis, I don't think we're.
Speaker 1: We're gonna we're gonna count We're gonna count senior major wins in this.
Speaker 3: I think it's still Ben Curtis, no way, But any boy, I mean he came out of nowhere to win the first time he come out of nowhere again.
Speaker 4: That was that was offends me. He was the no more'n amateur in the world at Kent State for a while, and then everyone's like, oh, he came out of nowhere.
Speaker 5: I'm from Northeast Ohio. I know, I know about his roots. I know.
Speaker 3: I'm just telling you he'd come out of north where again. He just he was what was he ranked in the world, like six hundred or something. Mike Weir has no chance to wait, and I'm for a major, you know, a club championship. Mike Weir, God bless the guy. You know, he seems like a very nice individual, was a Hall of Famer, maybe incredibly you know great at one point he hits like a wounded duck were five yards. He's hot except to the US Senior Women's Oh geez. He I think of those three, I like him. I'm a big fan, you know, I just I when it's gone, it's gone. He just I think he would be the most unlikely.
Speaker 1: I agree, Mike Weir has no chance.
Speaker 4: Also, Hunter May had the original Monster ambassador on tour.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: You always have to wonder about that underlying motives of for Yeah, you know this comes out after his rant about we're trying to take all the spotlight off Mayhew. Hey, I think I could see Ben Curtis becoming an icon on the senior tour, you know, becoming the guy that you know it just just has a research and at age fifty.
Speaker 4: Do we know if he plays golf anymore?
Speaker 1: I'm sure he does.
Speaker 4: Are we really? Are you sure?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm sure he goes out and plays golf, you know, might not play played for money in a while.
Speaker 4: His last start was a two thousand seven tex w D. He played two events played nowhere in twenty eighteen.
Speaker 1: Hey, he's just getting primed, just just starting like a rocky, like a you know, training for the senior tour.
Speaker 4: So so Ben ben Curtis won three more tour events. He finished runner up in a PGA Championship and a players.
Speaker 3: Like I had a career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you had a good little career there for sure.
Speaker 1: So we got overrated. Uh, let's go with it. Van Derveld's collapse. Is it overrated or underrated? And this is from Ernesto mm hmm.
Speaker 3: I think it's become overrated. I think it's become mythologized in a way that we just that's how we do. We kind of get carried away with things. Of course, it's I think incredible.
Speaker 1: Turn.
Speaker 3: It just finishes to a turn. But I think it's been mythologized a little too much, just because like it had the taking your shoes off and socks off and getting in the burn. There's just like a lot of visuals with it that have just added. I don't know, I think I think it's it's I think it's overrated, or maybe I'm just fatigued by it all this week.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pretty interesting walking around here, you I mean still when people are walking around eighteen you constantly just hear people like going okay, and then he was there, and then he hit it to there and then it bounced off this thing, you know, and it's still the big top point. But I agree with the overrated. Like you still see the photo of him in the burn with his pant rolled up, you know, every time we come to Carnoustie and I'm going overrated. I appreciate it. In Bryan Latner's Oral History the whole thing van de Veldt for the first time I had seen it. Finally admitt that, like when the night was over, he went into his hotel room and I believe that he was in his closet, he said, bawling, and like the whole. I never bought the whole, Like, oh, I'm French, It's just a game. It does not matter. I was like, there's no way, man, And so I was so glad to finally hear him admit that he just broke down after the man was over. I mean, I feel bad for him that he did, but I just it it had to be. I mean, there's no way that it wasn't a big deal. But it's overrated.
Speaker 1: I'm going underrated. There's it was the mean, it's the craziest collapse and in any championship golf his.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, but now we're going on like revisionist history on it tore like, well, actually he was really unlucky because like if he hit this pole and the ball and the pole, and I'm like, yeah, but you know how you're not unlucky. You hit seven ron into the fairway he needed to.
Speaker 1: Make a I mean it, I'll never forget it. It's one of the you know, whether you like it or not, like one of the most vivid memory golf memories I've ever had, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it was kind of a goofy into a goofy week because the setup was crazy. I mean it was like, I mean, the setup was an abomination to the with an angle school. There was zero of both the fairways were four yards wide, So I don't know, I think that's what kind of what sours on me. It was almost like the deserving ending to the week that they had there.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 1: Overrated, underrated Adam Scott's career, and that says given the expectations from Tommy Goofano, I think we ooh his career.
Speaker 4: So like his resume, I guess.
Speaker 3: His career number one in the world, the players and the masters, it's pretty good.
Speaker 5: But what was he number one in the world for like a month less.
Speaker 1: Maybe an hour?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I'm gonna go underrated just because I mean we based so much on like what the swing looks like, and he's a good looking guy. Like if he was twenty pounds heavier and he had a hitch in his swing, you'd be like, oh my gosh, what an amazing you know, like there's so much more to golf than just what your swing looks like I mean, I know two handicaps that have good looking swings, but they're not going to crack an egg on tour. And so I think we just like the poor guy because he's ridiculously good looking and his swing is on perfectly on plane throughout, like we expect him to win everything. So I just think that it's just the visuals are there, so we think, oh, he should win so much. But in really I think it's been a good career. I think just the expectations is so high because again the looks in the swing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, i'd probably say I'd probably say for the same reason, it's overrated. I think like he just gets too much credit for being good, lucky and have a great swing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but no more in the world of major of players. I don't know.
Speaker 3: It's a good question.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go he's underrated. I think I just did the math real quick. In his professional career, he's top ten to thirty five percent of his starts.
Speaker 3: So you get you throw us to the walls first and get out the calculator. While we're talking, Yeah, he come.
Speaker 1: Back, come back, you know, do quick, some quick math. And third, I mean that's pretty damn good in the longevity of his career. I think is other thing is like he's been a force in the game and a favorite, like I mean, how many how many I think right now is where we're getting, like even until last year, but this year he's obviously he's he's underperformed compared to what we're used to. But you know where he was like every single major he was a top ten favorite for you know, maybe twelve thirteen years.
Speaker 3: It's a pretty good careering. What do you care about the anchoring thing kind of changing career.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I think he had a lot of good years post anchoring. I mean he had you know, he was the end of the year in twenty sixteen, ranks seventh in the in the world, and he won twice that year, so.
Speaker 3: Back to back, right, yeah, or almost so.
Speaker 1: I think I think one of the things that I mean, we might look back eventually on the anchoring role and say it was like the worst role ever made, because they might you know, pull back, who knows, but the I think, uh, I think he was underrated and when you look at it from like a uh and and you know, he gift wrapped a open championship for my boy big earned you know that.
Speaker 4: I mean there were a few years there where he was like a consistent major. I mean, like what Brooks is doing right now. We talk about like he was doing that for a little bit, sure, and I think everyone's like, oh, if only he could put, he'd win so much. It's like, yeah, if you took any player and made their weakest part of their game of strength, they'd win a ton. But that's why they don't, because golf is hard, and nobody except Tiger is good at everything for an extended period of time.
Speaker 1: So overrated, underrated, The Irish and Scottish Open, underrated.
Speaker 3: I think they're fantastic as what as like prep for the Open?
Speaker 1: Yeah sure, oh, I don't know, whatever you want it to be.
Speaker 3: I think they're underrated. I think they're amazing. They're part of what makes July the best month of golf, and I love getting up, having coffee and having stuff resolved by Nune. I think they're awesome. I love both events and the same reason I love the Open. It's just a different look. I think we tend to kind of overweight you know, any results in show of form and all this stuff like as soon as Ricky hits a good shot, people are always winning the British Open. Yeah, as he you know, rolls into pludd it all and it's like, oh he's winning. It's like, I don't know, I just I think we might overweight the effects of playing well there.
Speaker 5: But I love them as tournaments on their own.
Speaker 4: I think this will got me in trouble last time with our controversial overrated, underrated episode a few months ago, but because I was making my take based on the golf hipster crowd, which I'm I don't know, I'm not cool, so I don't think I'm part of but.
Speaker 1: You're part of it.
Speaker 4: I think there's a I think just I think the I think it's more getting to the the flavor of the age. We just with social media, we just take some thing great and just beat it to death and just try to wring every last bit of content out of it. And there's that always that danger. But that being said, I think it is great to be able to get up early and watch golf. Unfortunately I don't have cable, so I can't. I don't watch them because I can't, but if I did have cable, I would watch them, and it would be quite enjoyable, so I'll say under There's no way I can say overrated, so I'll say underrated. But I don't know. I do think they're in danger of just us just beating them to death because they are so good, and that's just what we do with anything that's good.
Speaker 1: I wish they I wish they weren't back to back, and I know it's scheduled that way for a reason and for prep, but it would be nice to just get it every I don't know. I'm a big fan of the idea of like this World Tour, because like I think the Irish and the Scottish Open are so cool and I think you should. But like having them, you know, two weeks in a row, it diminished it, I guess it.
Speaker 4: I mean, it.
Speaker 1: Absolutely kills the PGA Tour of those two weeks because they get all the best players playing in them. But it would be cool to have it more, you know, like it. I mean, if I was, if I was running golf, I feel like we should have a monthly tournament in the British Islands, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think it's okay for the European Tour to win like certain stretches of the calendar. I mean that I'm okay with that. I think that's I think it's good. I think it's healthy for the game. I think it's healthy for both tours. Like I think it's okay for them to win a couple of weeks just because it makes so much sense because after the US opened, most most European guys are headed back to Europe anyways. So I don't know, I'm totally cool with like the European Tour winning those weeks because it makes sense to have Irish and Scottish opens on least courses right before the Open Championship.
Speaker 1: All right, last overrated, underrated kilt overage.
Speaker 3: I have respect for you know, Native Scots who you know that's part of their history wearing them. I just think you get a lot of idiots that are trying to, you know, show off wearing them. I think like it's just become like a thing for like people to like put a sign look at me, and there's a lot of people who are like faking it and wearing skills wearing kilts just to kind of for the show and the attention. So overrated.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of like with Saint I know they're different kind it's kind of what or like seeking pushing a national holiday of like some pride for the country or originated into just an American drinking festival because we bastardize it. I think that kind of what happens with kills.
Speaker 1: You over Huh. Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's nothing against kilts. It's just that if you're not wearing them because you come from a Scottish heritage and it's like a point of cultural pride for you, then you're you shouldn't be wearing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm go overrated, not not in on them. Yeah, I think I yeah, they're overrated.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: You know what what gets me is like when people are like, oh, look at that guy in a kilt. You know, Yeah, howpen does that happen in Chicago? I don't know. I just feel like it's like if somebody's wearing a kilt, everybody's like, oh, look at that guy in a kill. It's like, you know, what's the big deal. He's wearing a kilt.
Speaker 4: You know, Well, that's why that reaction, that's why he's doing it. He was playing in his hands.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that's I'm not one like that. I just I just take it for what it's worth, and I don't pay him any more attention than I would somebody wearing pants or shorts, right.
Speaker 4: All right, I'm I'm always just a little bit nervous that he's actually not wearing anything under there, because there was a there was a rowdy group of probably guys that fit in the category that Brendan and I were discussing who were in an Irish bar that DJ Paiouski and I used to frequent in Orlando, and they were getting rowdy and we found out the hard way that he was not wearing anything under his killed. So that soured me as well to the whole killed situation.
Speaker 3: Orlando's natural place to wear a kilt. It's like, it seems like a natural habitat. And that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: That that's why you should put It's the same reason you put Spaniards in big text, where.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly what they're overrated. It's dump and the people you know who wear cilts are you generally going to be terrible people? Now, I apologize for all that kind of This is a part of Scottish hairt you know, I'm not lumping in the Scots.
Speaker 5: That's a part of their heritage.
Speaker 4: No, you're you're defending the Scots.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, I'm saying it's been cops though co opted by a bunch of d bags.
Speaker 4: Actually, a lot of Canada is. There's a large Scottish Canadian connection. Nova Scotia means New Scotland because a lot of them moved to Scotland, I think, or to Canada. I think during the Potato fanine, which also hates Scotland, and so you have. I don't know you offended one people while defending another, but there's me a lot of overlap.
Speaker 3: Had a good five minutes on Kilts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh. I have to acknowledge this because it you know, we talked about Fleetwood. Tommy Pelto also wanted to know, what's what's your favorite Fleetwood Mac song?
Speaker 4: I don't have one.
Speaker 1: Oh, very sad.
Speaker 3: Landslide.
Speaker 4: Yeah it was good. Actually, what I know?
Speaker 1: I think I'm going going dreams, dreams, dreams good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I like that second Anti song too.
Speaker 5: I had a Fleetwood Mac that's no longer.
Speaker 1: Fleetwood Mac overrated, underrated, overrated.
Speaker 4: I'm not qualified to take part in this. I really don't know.
Speaker 1: I guess stop having non music fans on hipods.
Speaker 3: I know that's smart.
Speaker 1: Smart, i'd say underrated on over table doesn't.
Speaker 3: Let's listen to music.
Speaker 4: I mean listen to music, not fleewood back, I tell.
Speaker 1: You, all right, all right, all right, well that's disappointing Sean popping on Spotify when you can't sleep tonight us.
Speaker 4: I will, all right, guys, So no Pandora in the U cannot do it matters, No Pandora in the UK very just pointing to find out, not allowed.
Speaker 1: That's that's rough, like.
Speaker 4: Why the Brexit happens.
Speaker 1: I don't know, alrighty, all right, all right, we'll enjoy an open and uh may talk to you guys on Sunday or Monday.
Speaker 3: Sounds good, thanks, guys, all right, get.
Speaker 1: Some sleep, Sean, all right, you've.
Speaker 3: Been listening to the fried Egg podcast.
Speaker 1: We do the digging for you.