Speaker 1: Is this a great game or what?
Speaker 2: And welcome to our Father's Day edition of the show. We're going to be joined by Karl Ravich and his son Sam Ravich, who both are broadcasters for ESPN. Yeah, big baseball broadcasters. And Carl also dips right into college basketball as well.
Speaker 1: And it's a special episode for us because well we're a father son duo as well, right, And this is your first Father's Day as a father. McKinley Kirchen was born on August tenth of twenty twenty three. So what's it like for you to be a father the first time? With Father's Day coming up?
Speaker 2: It's probably the coolest feeling because I always knew I wanted to be a dad, and that's because I had my dad as an example as a great father. But you know, people always tell you, oh, you don't know love until you hold your baby for the first time, and not that I would roll my eyes at that, but I always thought, oh, yeah, I kind of get No, there's no comparison of the first time I got to hold our baby girl. And I mean I was also happy for other reasons because while my wife was in labor, Michael Lorenz in to the Phillies at the time was throwing a.
Speaker 1: No hitter and did so successfully. So there's two reasons to be happy, right. So we thought McKinley was going to be born on your birthday and on the same day that Michael Lorenza threw a no hitter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I turned thirty at the hospital and then my wife went into labor at like nine pm on the night of my thirtieth birthday, and then she labored for quite some time and we had the baby the next morning, so she would have her own birthday August the tes.
Speaker 1: So McKinley has been how many major league games and she's not even eight months old? Oh my gosh.
Speaker 2: So she how she's three major league games, including the game we went to and did a live show from for the Als game, which was really really special, the first time we ever brought McKinley to a baseball game.
Speaker 1: It was really cool.
Speaker 2: And I know a lot of ballparks do this, but you have to go get a certificate, a first game certificate. Every team does it and we still have it to.
Speaker 1: This day, and it was really I got to put it in a frame. It's a basketball ticket. Happy Father's Day, Jeff for the first time.
Speaker 2: And happy fathers, say to you, Dad, And we're gonna get more into fathers, including fathers and sons of baseball. But I first have to ask you about the London series, because as we are recording this on Monday afternoon to release on Tuesday, you have just flown in from London and drove from the Philadelphia airport to my home forty five to fifty minutes north of the airport we're recording.
Speaker 1: How jetlaged are you? I'm very tired, but I had such a great time in London. That's the takeaway from this week, Jeff, is what a great job everyone in London did. There wasn't one hiccup through the whole thing. Major League Baseball did a great job. The ballpark was in great shape, it was pack The Brits are really starting to get it in baseball much more. You know, it's an acquired days, Jeff. They don't play baseball over there. It's a soccer and a cricket country. But it was really, really good. And you know I told you I went last year. Cubs and Cardinals traveled like I couldn't believe. I couldn't take five steps in London without seeing a Cubs or Cardinal fan. This year, the Mets traveled very well and the Phillies traveled exceptionally well. They were Philly fans were everywhere. So we talked to Rob Tubbs and the manager of the Phillies, and he heard from one of the coaches that there was a Phillies bar. In fact, there were three Phillies bars in London, and one was at you know, what's it called Passaic Passion pass Avenue was the name of one of the bars. So Rob said, well, if a couple of coaches are going, we're all going to go. So the coaching staff and the manager of the Philadelphia Phillies go into this bar in London and Rob said, the place what absolutely bananas because they're all Philly fans in there. And then these guys roll in. So I thought, I said, Rob, what did you say, maybe fifteen minutes just to make an appearance, and he goes, no, we stayed two hours. We had a great time. That's how great that part was. Bryce Harper was the star of the weekend, mostly in part because he had a home run in the game on Saturday. Now he had planned I asked him all about this. He had planned it in advance that if he hits a home run, he's going to go do a slide on his knees like soccer players do when they score a goal. So typical. Bryce Harper goes, well, I got to hit a homer to do this, and then he hits one of the third deck. It was just ridiculous. As Dave Debrowski the GM told me, he said, only Bryce could pull off something like that. So he hits the homer and he starts running towards the dugout and then he hits his knees and slides. Rob Thompson told us like he's looking at Bryce running right after him, at him, going what in the hell is he doing here? And then Rob didn't really recognize until after the game in the postgame that this was a soccer slide. So when I asked Bryce about it, I said, did you practice this? And he goes, no, I've never really done that before. And he said, and yes, I was a little worried that I might get something caught underneath me, but he said, I said, what the heck. When I hit it out of the ballpark, I said, I'm going to do a slide into home plate. I mean into the dugout. It was absolutely tremendous. So you talked about the Sunday game, Jeff, So I called the Sunday game with Michael Ka and Doug Lamville on excellent job. It was so much fun as always. So we get to a play at the end of the game. You know, Jeff, you know my mantra. I tell people, like every day of my life, the greatest part about baseball is you can go to a game and you might see something that you've never seen before. And I've seen whatever four thousand games in person, and I saw something that I know I'd never seen before. So bases loaded one run lead in the ninth inning, Nick Cassianos is up with one out. He hits a little tapper in front of the plate, breaks his bat into one thousand pieces, and Luis Enz, the catcher for the Mets, jumps out in front of the plate, grabs the ball which is rolling just in front of the plate, runs back, tags the plate, and throws to first for a double play. That is a two two three double play. So I say immediately on the air, that's one of the craziest finishes to a game that I have ever seen. And I said, I'm guessing no games, especially a one run game, has ever ended quite like that with a two two three double play. So of course I called Frank at the Alive Sports Bureau. We counted grounded into double plays starting from nineteen forty on in both leagues, and that was the first time why the game had ever ended one run game had ever ended on a play quite like that. It was absolutely crazy, as slapped my forehead about five times after the game, like how can it end like that? But the bottom line is it was a fabulous, fabulous time in London, and I hope we keep going back there all right. Other takeaways from the week, of course, Aaron Judge had another preposterous week. He has thirty one extra base hits in his last thirty games through Sunday. The only other Yankee that has ever done that is Joe DiMaggio in nineteen thirty seven, and for a thirty two game stretch, Judge had a higher had the highest ops of anyone in baseball since Barry Bonds in two thousand and four, and of any Yankees since Babe Ruth in nineteen twenty four. That's how hot Aaron Judge has been lately, he has been an absolute machine, and as we talked about last week, all of this happened after he got ejected for the first time. Just crazy.
Speaker 2: It's funny how the way base all works that way. You know, maybe that was what he needed to kind of turn things around because it was not a good start to the session. Who is your game changer of the week this week now, Jeff?
Speaker 1: Our game changer is we're trying to present somebody who has persevered, who has made a change in his career and has done something remarkable when it didn't look like he was ever going to get there. So Matt Waldron is a pitcher for the Padres and he throws a knuckleball, and in his last six starts he's three and one with a one point seven eight era. Jeff, when I grew up covering the game, and when I was a little kid, there were knuckleball pitchers, not everywhere, but it was not uncommon to see a knuckleball pitcher. Well, he's basically the only knuckleball pitcher in the game today, and he throws a knuckleball thirty seven percent of the time. It's not like Phil nicro or Charlie Huff or you know, or Tim Wakefield. But he's still throwing a knuckleball. He started experimenting with it in twenty twenty one and now he's really got going really well. And Jeff, we don't throw knuckleballs anymore because we're so velocity conscious that we want everyone to just blow everyone away. So no one's teaching the knuckleball. So this guy has gone to an area where no one is even teaching. In fact, they're not encouraging anyone to learn to throw a knuckleball, which I think is a mistake. And he has really succeeded because Jeff, when you throw a knuckleball, it is really really hard to do. So years ago, the Orioles had a guy named Daniel Boone. That was his name, and he was a direct descendant of the Daniel Boone and Daniel Boone weighed one hundred and forty pounds, it was five 't eight and his second incarnation of baseball, he came back as a knuckleball pitcher. So I asked him about, you know, throwing the knuckleball and being a direct descendant of Daniel Boone, and he said, yeah, I thee Daniel Boone was must have been a really courageous man. But he said, I don't think he would have the courage to throw a knuckleball with on a three to two pitch with the basics. That's how hard it is to throw a knuckleball. And by the way, I don't think I ever told you this. I faced a knuckleball pitcher, a major league knuckleball pitcher, Charlie Huff in nineteen eighty four. He was coming off the disabled list. He had a knee injury, and he wanted to throw a simulated game before he came back. So I'm at Arlington Stadium covering the simulated game to see if the best pitcher on the team, Charlie, is coming back. And Doug Rader, the mischievous manager of the Rangers, literally picks me up and says, you're gonna face Charlie Huff. And I said, I'm not facing a major league pitcher. He said, yes, you are. So I took four at bats against Charlie Huff throwing a knuckleball, and it was one of the great experiences of my life because I wreck because all sorts of hitters have told me you can't hit a knuckleball. I'd rather face one hundred miles an hour than a knuckleball. First off, it can mess you up for the next game, and you can't follow it when it's thrown. Well, here, it's there, it's everywhere. So needless to say, I didn't put a ball in play. I didn't even make contact in four at bats against a great knuckleball pitcher. But at least now I can say I faced Bob Feller in an exhibition game, and I faced Charlie Huff in a stimula game. Two major league pictures. Love that. That's pretty impressive.
Speaker 2: Let the record show that this was mentioned on the podcast before Bob Feller.
Speaker 1: How old was he when you faced? It was like sixty two years. I mean not discrediting you. No, you can discredit me, believe me. Yes, we have with the quirtchins for the week. Let's see the quartions. Okay. So, so you know how much I love sacrifice flies. This is way over the top even for me. So on his thirtieth birthday, Harrison Bader of the Mets hit two sacrifice flies on his thirtieth birthday. So I called the Elias and said, has anyone ever hit two sacrifice flies on their birthday? Because you know, we have guys who had homers on their birthday. Strike we talked about Paul Skeins dragging it out nine on his birthday, and we found out that Bobby Meacham in nineteen eighty four and Roy McMillan in nineteen sixty one are the only two players other than Harrison Vader now to hit two sacrifice flies on their birthday. So I told Harrison Bader this and he stops me. Man, he goes, tell me, I'm the only one that's ever done this. I said, sorry, Harrison, you're the third guy that's ever done it. But I just love stuff like that. So Jaron Duran of the Red Sox hit his tenth triple of the season, and the you know, we're only sixty six games in, so I checked for the last player to have that have ten triples in so few games of a season, and that was Jose Reyes in two thousand and eleven. Because as we know, Jeff, we don't hit triples anymore. We hit a lot of home runs, but not many people hit triples. So it really stands out that somebody's got ten triples already. Ellie Day. Look who we talk about every week on this because he's so spectacularly talented. But he recorded his fourth four strikeout game this season. So keep in mind the Major League record for a for four strikeout games in one season is seven by Dick Allen in nineteen sixty five. Ellie de la Cruz is over halfway there. My guess is that that record is going to fall and again Jeff different time, different era, but Tony gwyn Stan, Musial Joe DiMaggio had three three strikeout games in their careers combined, one each, and Elie de la Cruz, granted those guys didn't see the pitching we're seeing today, already has four four strikeout games. Plus we had a game the other day. It was the White Sox against the Cubs, and Corey Jenks led off the game with a home run on the first pitch, and Mike Takman ended the game with a walkoff homer. So the first pitch of the game was a homer and the last pitch of the game was a homer. So I was surprised that we didn't have to go back very far. Jose Altuve in nineteen I mean, in twenty twenty two let off a game with a first pitch Homer and Aaron Judge ended it with a walkoff Homer. So those are the quirtions for the week. That's impressive. What about birthdays this week?
Speaker 2: I know we're celebrating Father's Day on the show, but do you have any birthdays for Is this a great game or what?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Brock Holt, this is his thirty sixth birthday today. Brock Holt is the only player ever to hit for the cycle in a postseason game. And I've told you many times, Hank, Aaron, Willie Mays, Barry Bods, Babe Ruth never hit for the cycle. Brock Holt is the only player to hit for the cycle in a postseason game. And in eighteen sixty And this is for you, Jeff, A guy was born. His name was Pop Joy. That's his name. Now, what is the name of our our company that does the podcast Joy Pop Production? Right? So this was Pop Joy.
Speaker 2: And for anybody you know, we Joy Joyce Kirkshen is my dad's mom, my grandmother, and Pop is what we call my grandfather who is originally.
Speaker 1: Jeffs And Father's Day we have we have a shout out to Pop Joy. Major league player was born at eighteen Joy eighteen sixty amazing. Who is he playing along with?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure you only had names like pop Joy of the eighty nine Toe Johnson. He was toeing the rubber right And we also had some pretty good things on this date in baseball history, and this date in nineteen thirty eight, Johnny Vandermere through the.
Speaker 1: First of his two consecutive no hitters. Of course, no one else has ever done that. Nolan Ryan on this date in nineteen ninety through his sixth no hitter. Of course he would finish with seven. No one else has more than four. Nolan Ryan is the greatest power picture of all time, the hardest pitcher to hit in Major League history. And last thing is the Brewers on this date retired Paul Molechers number four. We talked about great number fours last week. So Molitor becomes the manager of the Twins and he's walking around the ballpark in Milwaukee when the Twins go to Milwaukee and there's his number up there, and one of the younger young players on his team came up to him and said, is that you up there? Is that your number up there? And Paul Maler is the most humble guy in the world. Looks at me, he goes, yeah, let's be up there. So I just wish some of our young players would actually remember exactly who came before that. It's in the cards.
Speaker 2: We're gonna rip them a pack of tops cards here and we start with.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what a great card. Raoul one of my favorite players. So, Raoul Lebanya's Jeff has the most career homers of anyone whose last name starts with I. Of course, I know the all time home run leader for every letter of the alphabet. I could do it for you right now, but that would be ridiculous and it would take too much time. Plus, Raoulabanyez is one of three players joining Hank Sour and Davy Lopes. Try to picture this, Jeff more homers in his forties than he hit in his twenties. That's crazy. Think about that for a second.
Speaker 2: All right, next step, not the country star, but the baseball player. It's Kenny Rogers.
Speaker 1: Oh love Kenny Rogers. So Kenny Rogers was a left handed outfielders shortstop in high school. Weighed one hundred and thirty five pounds, but because he had such a great arm, the Texas Rangers drafted him as a pitcher, but he had never pitched before. So he goes to spring training for the first time as a professional baseball player, and Sid Hudson, the pitching coach for the Rangers, says, Okay, let's see you throw off the mount and then he said, all right, let's see you go from the stretch. The stretch, not the wind up. And Kenny Rogers looks at Sid Udson it said, I don't know how to do that. He had never done that before, and the ilready is a He turns out to win over two hundred games in his major league career and had one of the best pickoff moves I've ever seen, and yet he didn't even know how to go from the stretch when he first became a professional baseball player.
Speaker 2: One player who has been really stepping up this season at Mundo Sosa since Trey Turner went Yeah, and Trey.
Speaker 1: Turner is going to be back in the next week, which is great news for the Phillies, but Sosa has been absolutely tremendous for them. First twenty seven games that he played in shortstop replacing Trey Turner, did not make an error and really swung the bat exceptionally well. And he's won of Rob Thompson's all time favorite players. So Sosa in London overslept and is because of the time change and everything else. And he showed up late to the ballpark for the Friday workout. And he's never late, He's always the first guy there. So he comes running out to the outfield and to Rob Thompson who's on the field, and he's literally crying, weeping, like I'm so sorry. My cell phone died when I was asleep and I got caught up in the in the jet lag. He was crying, and Rob Toombs had to say, and Mundo, don't worry. You're good. So he ed. He played like he played really well over the weekend.
Speaker 2: All right, Miles Michaelas all right, Miles Michaelis is a good major league pitcher. But what struck me about him was last year at the London Series, he went all over London like experimenting, being an adventurer and seeing everything he could possibly see. He said a very interesting thing to me, he said, he said, this is what the trip to London is all about, is what.
Speaker 1: You see beyond baseball, he said. I played three years in Japan, he told me, and he goes. I you can probably remember three games that you know, specific games like shut out here, But he said, but I'll never forget, say, going to the concentration camps in Japan or Hiroshima. These are the things that we take away from these trips. It was such a profound look at things by major League Baseball player, very encouraging. How about a Doug Glanville dog Landville, my friend. You just hung out with him in London. I hung out a lot with Doug in London. He is so much fun. And I said this at the beginning of the broadcast. He wrote a poem to kick off the broadcast, and I had to say on the air to Michael, Okay, you know, this just isn't fair that Doug Glanville played the Major League for a long time and he's a better writer than me. That just isn't right, because he wrote a beautiful poem to kick off the Sunday game in London.
Speaker 2: Well not the swar as I named my dog after as in Ranger.
Speaker 1: This is oh, I'm gonna screw it. New Haneos. Thank you. I was gonna call you Jenny O right heineo sar. Very popular guy with the Mariners was traded to the Diamondbacks in the offseason. Strikes out a lot, has gotten much better defensively, and he hits the ball out of the ballpark. Not at the same rate this year as other years. But Jeff, this this just shows you how your poor dad sometimes just goes way overboard. I thought Suarez was going to lead the league in homers one year, and he's got all the vowels in his name aeio, and you are in Haanio Suarez. So I actually went through all the home run champions of all time to see if there's anyone else that has an aeio and you. A guy named Jack forty A in nineteen twenty four led the Major League, led the league in home runs, and has all the vowels in his name, of course, Eddie Figueroa, Nelson Figueroa, two guys who played in the Major leagues have all their vowels in their last name ae aeio and you in their life. All right, let's go league in lids. Here.
Speaker 2: We've put every single Major League Baseball team in this amazing lids hat that has every team in it, and every week we pull a different team name. And right now, you're looking at the Saint Louis Cardinals.
Speaker 1: All right, there's an argument, what's the greatest team in the greatest franchise in the history of the National League. So you the Cardinals or the Dodgers. It might be the Cardinals. What has always struck me, Jeff, about going to Saint Louis is what an amazing baseball town that is. I told you that I went to a bar there after a game once and I said to the and the place was packed after the game. I said, what's the deal with this place? He goes, well, we're open eighty one days a year. That's it. So they're only open after Cardinal home games. Not everyone goes to downtown Saint Louis. On a non game night, they don't even open. But when the Cardinals are playing, they are absolutely packed at all times. I've met people there, including a grandmother who lives in Saint Louis, and she drives around. Her car is like a Volkswagen bug and it looks like a baseball. In other words, there are seams running on the and since it's kind of circular, it looks just like a baseball driving through the streets. And Tony Gwynn, you know, got hit number three thousand in Montreal, and he whispered to me once, he said, I kind of wish I hadn't gotten three thousand to Montreal because there there wasn't anyone at the game. Our next game on the road was in Saint Louis, and he said, I always kind of wish I'd gotten three thousand in Saint Louis because those people would have really appreciated. Oh, that's really special. Hey, we've got a Kirchen quandary.
Speaker 2: This is where we ask you a question to respond either on our socials at Great Game or What, or on our website Great Game or.
Speaker 1: What dot Com.
Speaker 2: With the NBA Finals happening right now, Celtics lead two to zero. Game three will be on Wednesday night against the Dallas Mavericks. Our favorite Kirkshin quandary would be the current Boston Celtics team against the Kirkshin family. Now, Dad set the stage. How many point lead do we have?
Speaker 1: Now? Granted this is a hypothetically right, we have a thirty point lead with two minutes to go. The Celtics have the ball inbounding under their own basket. The question is, can we hold a thirty point lead in two minutes against the Celtics, And keep.
Speaker 2: In mind the lineup for the Kirkchins is Tim and Jeff Kirkchhin, along with Mark, my sister's husband, who was a good high school player, really good high school player, Kelly who arguably maybe was the best when it came to our family. Sorry, Dad, at least given Kelly Kirchen made fifty four out of fifty six free throws her senior year, I would say she was quite a legend in her high school days. And then are we putting my wife, Emily Emily on the team. Okay, so as a cheerleader, not about player. But it doesn't even matter either way, right.
Speaker 1: So I say that we lose. I say that the Celtics score every seven and a half seconds, score thirty five thirty four points, and beat us by four because obviously we're not gonna score because the biggest problem, Jeff is going to be getting the ball in bounds. How are we gonna get it in bounds? I don't think we are. Or if Mark just throws it as high as he can, they're just gonna intercept it. Throw it to Jason Tatum. He's gonna dunk it, and then the clock is gonna stop in the last two minutes of an NBA game. Then we're gonna have the same problem inbounding the ball. We're not gonna score. They're gonna score every second seven seconds. They're gonna score thirty four points and beat us by four. You agree or not.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I think they're gonna score more than that. I think they're gonna score every four. So with that being said, kirkschhan Quandri, if you think we could.
Speaker 1: Win this, let us know.
Speaker 2: But how many points do we have to be up by with only two minutes to go for us to actually pull off the wing? Is it thirty, forty five, fifty sixty? No, No, we don't need sixty. We would if we had a forty point lead, we would win the game.
Speaker 1: We would still lose. No, we wouldn't. I think it needs to be it's mathematically impossible.
Speaker 2: I think Father's Day, this is our Father's Day. Addition, and I want to just thank Bill Biggie Field for submitting a question at Great Game or what dot Com Now. Dad, you were the greatest dad when I was a kid growing up. You continue to be the best dad in the world. But he wrote a question that was very interesting and a question I grew up getting all the time, which was what was it like growing up with a dad in baseball media? And he even added, you guys seem like you have the best relationship. How did you get that when dad was traveling all the time growing up, and I traveled.
Speaker 1: A lot, there's no doubt. But again, I didn't travel hardly at all during the off season, and I picked and chose when I would go on the road other than October and spring training. So you guys came with me to spring training a bunch of times. You've been to the World Series with me, You've been to the All Star Game with me. And I must say, in my defense, I was the ultimate master at getting home as quickly as possible, staying for as long as I could, and then leaving. Plus I was at the house all the time. You know. I didn't go into the office every day. The house was my office. So when I was home, I was really home. I was making you guys lunches every day, picking you up from school. So that's my excuse.
Speaker 2: Two of my favorite things memories of my dad when I was growing up was Dad always would pick us up at the bus stop when he was in town, which was a lot of the time, but every once in a while he would pick us up while riding the ride on mower right, go up the street, pick us up on the ride on mower and drive back.
Speaker 1: Now, my dad was the king of the field trip. Oh yeah.
Speaker 2: He was chaperone on almost every field trip. Famously milked a cow on one of my sister's field.
Speaker 1: Trips, but ferguson farm right.
Speaker 2: One of my favorite was when we were on one of those big coach buses and I can't even remember where we were going, but the Pory Park.
Speaker 1: Thank you. We play on the TVs.
Speaker 2: The bus driver played October Sky and there's my poor old dad in the third row crying, and all the kids on the bus in the back with me are saying, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Is that your dad crying watching this movie? Look, I can't help it. So I famously asked you and Kelly. You were like five, Kelly was like seven. After we watched that movie together, I said, so, Jeff, what was that movie about? And you said it was about a rocket. That's what the movie was about. So I looked at Kelly, and I said, Kelly, what was that movie about? Seven year old? Kelly Kirchen said, Dad, that was a movie about a father and a son. And that's exactly what that movie was about, which is why poor Pop Pop was crying in the bus with a bunch with a bunch of third graders around me. All right, let's go. Speaking of Pop, Pup, I have to say something about my dad. My dad, Pop was the greatest father ever, greatest husband ever, greatest grandfather ever. And he gave he gave a great feel of baseball to you know, Andy, Matt and Tim Kirchen. He not only taught us how to play, but he taught us how to understand what the game was all about. And as you know, Pop was a really funny little guy too, and he was a really good player in his day. And I can't tell you how many times, Jeff, we would be in the in the rec room watching the game after our games are over and he would throw a pillow down in the middle of the of the reck room and show us how to make the double play, like here's where you put your feet, got to keep so And he always would say when you throw, you got to throw from down here sidearm in order to get that runner to slide. And he would always throw the ball into the couch there. Well, one time he threw it a little bit too high and it missed the couch and went through the French store windows and broke the fred store windows, which was not a good thing. So he looks at me, his youngest son, and says, Tim, tell mom that you did it, and I'll get you off easy. That was That was my dad. And but the beauty, Jeff of baseball and fathers and sons is they're everywhere. The game is littered with fathers and sons who played in the Big leagues. The Boone family is arguably the greatest family of baseball players in Major League history because they had a grandfather Ray, a father Bob, and two boys, Aaron and Brett, who all made the All Star team. So the only family in the history of baseball that had three generations of All Stars are the Boones. And they got a picture take at Ray, Bob, Brett and Aaron on the field at Comiskey Park in Chicago. And I'd seen it many times. It's really great. And Aaron told me that years ago, maybe ten years ago, he said, I saw my father cry twice in my entire life. One was when I got the manager's job with the Yankees, and the other was when Bob Boone was the manager of the Reds and he hauled his son in to tell him because Brett Aaron was on the Reds, to tell him that he had made the All Star team. Those are the stories that you have to love. And of course there's the Harriston family, another three generation family. Sam Harrison, Jerry Harston Senior, Jerry Harston Junior, and Scott Harrison all played in the major leagues. We love that. And again there's some great statistical anomalies. I've already told you this more than once. Prince Fielder and Cecil Fielder, father and son, finished their careers with exactly three hundred and nineteen home runs, which I just find amazing. Sarah Langs, aren't that right? Craig Bigio and Cavin Biggio and Gary Ward and Daryl Ward are the only father son combos to hit for the cycle, which we love. The Ripkins, of course, I covered the Ripkins in Baltimore. So in nineteen eighty seven, Cal Senior was the manager, Billy Ripkin was the second baseman. Cal Ripken was the shortstop. And I remember remember Edward Bennett Williams, the owner of the team, came to spring training and saw these Ripkins like running all over the place, and he looked at me and he goes, he says, we need to send more Ripkins. He goes, we got three of them out there. We need three, four or five? Can we send three more Ripkins? And the Ripkin family was just so close knit. And this is so classic. Cal Senior for Christmas one year bought his sons metal protective cups to wear. Derry Gabes. That's the Christmas present that he got for his two boys. Which is If that's not a perfect baseball question answer, I don't know what is. Of course, the Griffies had the greatest father son day of anyone in history. You know, Ken Griffy Junior and Ken Griffy Sr. Played on the same team and in a game against the Angels in nineteen ninety they hit back to back home runs. Ken Griffy Junie's how could that possibly happen? Of course, the Bonds is Bot, Barry and Bobby are the greatest combo platter father son in Major League history. When you add up their homers and their stolen bases, it's just inconceivable how productive. They were. But you know, one of my favorite families, of course, is the Bell family. Gus Bell played in the major leagues. Buddy Bell, who I covered with the Rangers, played in the major leagues, of course, was a great third baseman, and David Bell and Mike Bell also played in the major leagues. Another three generation family. So in eighty two, the first year I really met and got to know Buddy Bell, I got to ask talking to him about his dad, and he said Gus would come to games once in a while. Because he's a major league player, he can't get to all these games when Buddy is growing up. But he made it to a high school game once, and he drove his car and parked it beyond the center field fence because he didn't want to sit around all the fans who didn't know what they were talking about. He won, wanted to watch the game in peace. And Buddy told me, if I made a good play, my dad honked the horn once. If I made a great play, he honked the horn twice. How great is that? A father son combo like that? All right? Before we get to the Ravages, Sam and Carl Ravagh of ESPN. We have to finish this with the I have a team every week. She called Team Tim. So this week we're gonna look at the father son the best father son combos at each position. Okay, and there's a great competition here. But Yogi Berra is the catcher. He had two sons who played in the Major leagues, and we have Hall of Famer Pad Rodriguez, whose son played in the Major leagues. First basement is George Sisler, who had two sons who played in the Major leagues. He's a Hall of Famer. Craig Bigio is our second baseman. Cavin Biggio is his son. Buddy Bell, who we mentioned, is the third baseman. With two sons who played the shortstup. We don't have a Hall of Famer, but we have Boba Schett, who's really good, son of Dante Bishett and Fernando Tetist Junior, who used to be a shortstop. Down outfielder is the son of Fernando Toetist Senior. The outfield and how good are these guys? Ken Griffy Junior and his dad Hall of famers Barry Bonds and his dad not Hall of famers, but we kind of understand why. And then we also have Tony Gwyn Vladimir Guerrero Senior Hall of Famer, Tim Rains Hall of Famer, all have sons who played in the Major leagues. In fact, Tim Rains played with his son also they didn't had a home run of the same game. And of course our utility player is Pete Rose, whose son Pete Rose Junior, played in the Major League briefly. And Ed Waalsh, one of the great pitchers from the early nineteen hundreds. I didn't know this, but he had a son who played in the Major leagues. And our managers, so we can get the Boons in on this team. Somewhere are Aaron and Bob Boone, who our father son who also managed in the Major leagues.
Speaker 2: So fitting to have a father's on broadcasting duo talking to a brother, a father son broadcasting duo on is this a great game?
Speaker 1: Or what? Carl and Sam Ravitz join us next on the show.
Speaker 5: Is this a great game? Or what our Father's Day edition?
Speaker 2: And as a father son broadcasting duo, we thought it to be only fitting to bring in another father son broadcasting duo Carl and Sam Raviits.
Speaker 5: Are on the show. Gentlemen, thank you for joining us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thanks for women those churcheons.
Speaker 3: We've waited a long time for this to be in the same category as other father son including the Kurchions, but there's a lot of them out there, and it's great to be on this podcast with you guys.
Speaker 5: All right, well, Sam, we'll start with you.
Speaker 7: We know how much your dad taught you when you were a kid about life and broadcasting and everything else. Give us something that he didn't teach you that you probably should have known because he wasn't telling you the right thing.
Speaker 8: Dad always taught me to work hard, be on time. One thing he did not really teach me was to cook a whole lot, although I learned that from my mom. He taught me how to grill. I will give him credit for this. Mad Dad was always doing the laundry, so I am always the laundry guy around the house.
Speaker 6: That is something that I do that he taught me.
Speaker 8: And cleaning, I mean, he was always a clean guy. So like all of these good things, he taught me all the good things the bad things. I think I learned from all of my friends but a lot of the good things around the house, he taught me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is why Tim, you and I get along so well. Like you and I had a lot of similar traits and qualities, with the exception of that getting to the airport, you know, twelve hours early. But we can light clean things. We're big into instant gratification of vacuuming and lawn cutting so you can see results immediately, grilling for sure, all the things. That's why you and I have become so close.
Speaker 8: But here's here's the here's the thing, though it has it has now verged on the precipice of like OCD for me because I'm taking it a little bit too far where like everything has to be clean, and my wife is like, can you just leave it for a second.
Speaker 6: Like I'm that guy that I'm like, I'm gonna I'm flying back from Tallahassee to uh to Connecticut today. I'm going to unpack my backpack and my backpack and my bag right away when I got home. Like I'm that guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you Jeff, jump in here in a second. Here's how bad I am when I go on a trip, even if it's for two days.
Speaker 5: I take everything out of my suitcase or bag.
Speaker 1: I put it in the drawers, and I put the suitcase in a place where I don't have to see it so I don't feel like I'm on a road trip.
Speaker 5: Jeff, does this make sense to you?
Speaker 2: I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit for how crazy you are. Because my dad but usually is in person for the podcast in the basement I'm recording from with the two of you right now. He'll be here for twenty twenty hours. He'll get here on a Sunday night, and he'll leave a Monday night, and he'll still unpack his bags after arriving after baseball tonight, driving Frum Connecticut to Pa, puts this stuff in, takes it out, and packs it up the next day. And Sam, I'm with you. We have been pursed with amazing fathers, yes, but also men that have created this sense of needing to be neat, clean and tidy. I'm the same way. It drives me nuts. I can't fall asleep if there's dishes in the sink. It drives me insane.
Speaker 6: Something percent with you, Jeff.
Speaker 8: But the thing is is like you were just mentioning the airport so we're all clean we're tidy, we got the laundry done, but like we will be not late, but we are just on time, Like we are not showing up early to things.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 8: I have heard a numerous amount of stories from producers at ESPN to anybody working on shows that Dad has done, and they all say he comes prepared, he's ready to roll, but he's showing up like when we gotta go, he is ready to go right when he needs to be there.
Speaker 5: Rebby explain how you never worry about those things? I worry about everything? How do you do that?
Speaker 3: I think never worrying is overstated. I think what you don't see is the early worry. Like, all right, you have to be in a mind frame of how many hours, how many minutes is it going to take to walk from point A to point B, or to drive from point A to point B. But that involves checking ways early. Like it's not as if I get in the car and hope things work out. There's a lot of FOURK thought that goes into it. I will say, I do, and I'm sure like you three have that dream every now and then of not being able to get to the studio literally in the building. I've been in for thirty years. Every door is locked. I cannot get to the show. That is a dream slash nightmare that I have had where I'm walking the halls and every door I'm supposed to go through is closed, and yet I can see through some window. The show is like starting like that happened. And I will say this. You know when we did the games from Connecticut and Miami during the pandemic in Korea, I learned that whether I'm there or not, the show is.
Speaker 6: Going to start.
Speaker 9: I mean the KBO game we ever did, We're supposed to start at this silly hour of five twenty five am.
Speaker 3: We all know broadcasts start on the hour and at the worst on a half hour. Not twenty five minutes happen. And we found out fifteen minutes before this KBO game, of course, in which we know zero players, and they said rain your games rained out, We're now going to go do the sk wyns and the KT whiz. And literally that's telling us you're now going to have a blind exam. I went into the other room in my house to print out rosters because otherwise there he goes or, as Harold Reynolds famously said on a set of Baseball Tonight.
Speaker 5: My man Miel.
Speaker 3: Well, my man. So I go to print off rosters and it's five twenty four, five twenty five, and I'm slowly walking back on to my little studio and I hear EDWARDO. Perez say, welcome to the Kado. Well, there you have the show lent on. I said, sorry, I was printing out rosters. And maybe you guys are good at that speaking to this. Having done something for thirty years and Tim a little bit longer, you do develop a bit of a leash where they allow something like that. I just I don't panic about that. It doesn't happen very often, but it did happen that morning, and I'm still employed, right.
Speaker 5: And that one is Y's greatest strength is he never panicked.
Speaker 3: Sam.
Speaker 7: We did a Baseball Tonight my first year there, nineteen ninety eight, and the show wasn't even supposed.
Speaker 10: To happen, and then jud Birch walked in and said, okay, we're doing forty five minutes right now.
Speaker 5: No rundown, no shot sheets, nothing, we get it.
Speaker 1: He gets in our ear the producer and says, boys, good luck, you're gonna need it.
Speaker 10: And your father never panicked, he steered the ship, Harold, and I just followed him.
Speaker 5: Perfect point guard. That is the key for all young broadcasters.
Speaker 1: Never panicked, Sam, Jeff, you agree.
Speaker 2: When we started doing morning radio, this is as true as can be.
Speaker 3: You know, I was.
Speaker 2: I'm the morning show host, right, I'm the one bringing people in. I talk out of the song and say do all that stuff. And my dad always talked about the stress of being a great point guard.
Speaker 5: As a host.
Speaker 2: And always use Sam, your dad as the example as the best point guard in the game of television because he knows how to cue people up. Not in the obvious way, right, dam didn't you have a story like that? But doing it when you've been doing it as long as these gentlemen have together, of course it gets easier because you just know where he's gonna go with this. If you bring up a ground rule double. You know, for Tim kirkshon over, there is going to blow a casket a casket that he's gonna have to say it's.
Speaker 1: An automack double.
Speaker 5: And Carl knows that.
Speaker 2: But the point is being a point guard, Carl, is something that you My dad uses you as example, has taught me how to be a better teammate and be a good point guard to use the people around us.
Speaker 5: And Sam, I mean, I'm sure you learned that from your dad as well.
Speaker 8: That was one of the things that he told me going into this thing, was, you know, he has always said, I want to be remembered as a broadcaster, not really always for.
Speaker 6: What I did, but for the fact that I've made.
Speaker 8: The people on the show better, Like you know, being that point guard and facilitating that's always the skill of his and that's something that I hear again from people at ESPN who worked on Baseball Tonight or who worked in the Baseball space. They always said the most difficult show at ESPN was the Baseball Tonight when they were doing two days, because you just didn't always know.
Speaker 6: What was happening.
Speaker 8: And when you have somebody that panics in those moments, not always the best teammate, right, So you got to have somebody that can be a little bit calm and be a little bit poised. I'll tell you this story really quick. I remember that it was I was probably in middle school and my dad was playing in a charity golf tournament in Hartford. I think it was the PGA kind of event. That they have here at Hartford, and I was going to caddy and again just speaking to the showing up right on time. I know my dad remembers this.
Speaker 6: We pulled up in the circle and he was playing in it. I was caddying his tea. Time was about like at noon.
Speaker 8: Showed up at eleven fifty nine and I grabbed a bag out of the trunk. We're racing to the tea box. He goes up there, gives a wave to everybody on the first tee, and he pipes a nice draw down the first fairway about three hundred yards and he set up perfectly, and I'm like, that's the coolest thing I've ever seen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I do remember that, and I will say again those that circumstance was beyond our control because that Travelers Championship was the day after the College World Series had ended. I had flown in, so again the airlines, which unfortunately screwed things up more than they have success, they screwed that up. I was delayed, so it was literally a wire shot, and thankfully we made it. That had nothing to do with this concept that you guys have been talking about about kind of getting there a few minutes in advance, but I do that intentionally. There was no intent on that one was the point being was it was cool, like you just that part's great.
Speaker 4: But see, you know what I know about Jeffrey and Sam, tim that they have that they have listened to thankfully, is in our field.
Speaker 3: And even as a parent, I think it's important. You know, as a dad, it's hard to be a one trick pony. You don't want to be a one trick pony. And I think that is true about your career. And you know, I know Jeffrey is incredibly versatile and he's done some of the play by play stuff. We've seen him in Williamsport, which was amazing. You know, Sam went about this differently than I did. I started in a small market and was a news and sports anchor in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in Binghamton, New York, and then went to ESPN and did those overnight sports centers and over thirty years transitioned into play by play. Sam began his whole thing doing play by play double A Baseball in Richmond, Virginia, and then continue the play by play stuff at ESPN, and I continuously implored him try to get into the studio. Do those things be as versatile as you can. Part of being the great point guard comes from the experience of being a host a co host on a show in which two people are doing Sports center. You're interviewing different people throughout the show. That's why I think the transition to play by play is a lot easier. And Baby, Sam and Jeff, when you went from studio person or play by play person into studio that you had that tool in your tool box already, and it makes you better at what you're doing now.
Speaker 2: Sam and Carl, I have to ask because what you two do is as Carl mentioned, right, Sam, you're doing play by play. Carl, you're doing play by play and show hosting. What is that dynamic like? Because I don't my dad's not calling me and saying, hey, you got it wrong. Luke colnbs is the second best country artist in twenty twenty for right. So, even though we do tell stories and I interview people for a living and doing this podcast, I've learned so much from my dad about how to interview, how to have a good interview when we prep together. It's I've learned so much And if I get anything from this podcast, besides a great time I've been able to spend with my dad, it's going to be seeing how he prepares for things.
Speaker 5: But Sam, are.
Speaker 2: You asking your dad for air checks?
Speaker 5: Like, hey, can you listen to this?
Speaker 2: Or Carl, are you listening in and sending notes? Or is it more of a you know, hey, don't ask, don't tell it's work. Let's keep working hard and getting better.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 6: I think it's a little bit of both.
Speaker 8: Like I will send him some of my shows and ask him for feedback. But he's he's always been like a I'm not going to intrude on your space. He wanted me to learn, you know, on my own. It doesn't really do me a service, I don't think by just trying to dictate some of what we do and how we do it.
Speaker 6: I've always asked for.
Speaker 8: Advice help whenever I thought like I could use it, and he's always been very gracious with you know, his time and been watching it and giving me advice as well. But you know, along with the the advice of actually like the job portion of it, sometimes I just need the fatherly advice on it, which is like you're doing great, man, Like just just take it easy, enjoy the ride.
Speaker 6: You're gonna be fine.
Speaker 8: This is supposed to be fun like that is That is some of the best advice I think I can get. The other stuff, like, you know, we'll learn like anybody on a normal on any any job, right, you learn.
Speaker 6: As you go.
Speaker 8: But sometimes you just need that that that comforting hand behind you to say, like you're doing all right, It's okay, right well.
Speaker 1: And preparation, as we've talked about, is so important because I live in fear of being unprepared for question being asked or something that I don't know.
Speaker 5: And I think I can tell the story ravy our.
Speaker 1: Dear friend Kyle Peterson, who's you know, the best college baseball analyst, one of our best friends, absolutely tremendous.
Speaker 5: He tells the story that he was a dugout reporter.
Speaker 10: At early on and some obscure guy had just come out of the game and they asked Kyle to interview the guy.
Speaker 5: But he starts the interview and he doesn't know who the guy is and he has to.
Speaker 10: Ask, who are you? I mean, those are the things that I absolutely live in fear of. You guys must have similar circumstances where you.
Speaker 1: Go, boy, I better know what I'm doing here, Otherwise I could make a complete fool of myself.
Speaker 8: I'll say this tim really quick. We have a game, like I said, did a regional final last night. There was a point in which after the game, I started hearing the producer count down in my ear two in a postgame interview.
Speaker 6: I had no idea who we were interviewing at the time.
Speaker 8: I hear ten, we got an interviews coming on ten, and I'm hitting the talkback button saying who do we got?
Speaker 6: Who do we got?
Speaker 8: And we we finally figured it was a great interview. But yes, to your point, if you if you stay ready, you don't have to get ready to absolutely and.
Speaker 5: Raby how many times?
Speaker 11: And you and I stand underneath the stands at Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park, we can't even see the final play of the game because we're tracked in a runway somewhere.
Speaker 5: Then we have to run out on the field and interview people. Again.
Speaker 1: That's why you got to be quick on your feet in this business, otherwise you're not gonna make it.
Speaker 3: You know, faking on your feet or seat, depending on whether you're standing or sitting, is important. The idea of not knowing a person you're interviewing or something like that. You know, having done baseballs and I for twenty odd years there was and sports center, soil, you learn little secrets and tricks of the trade. I mean to suggest that off the fifteen games a night, when all of a sudden they come in with a marin or highlight and some backup catchers in there, you learn. You know, if you kind of lay out here, the play by play voice in the background that's actually on the original highlight is likely going to mention the guy's name, so you hear the name and then you sound a lot more informed. And I'm sorry, I don't know. I did not know every single major league player during the years we were doing Baseball Tonight. Similarly hockey highlights with a lot of the foreign players. I know, sports and rankers have learned to just let the highlight kind of play a little bit without saying something when you don't know if it's for Shanky or for Yankee that's making the play. The play by play guy, you'll hear it on that highlight and then you can kind of pick up on it. So there's little tricks in the trade, you know that you can learn just two quick stories about the teaching part of it, my philosophy, you know, and look, we have dads too, or had dads too. The field I got into was an absolute foreign language to my bomb and dad. This whole thing was something they couldn't ever offer advice on because they didn't even understand it. And after not getting a job in Binghamton when I was the week end sports anchor and not getting the weekday job when a good friend of Tim andized Bill Pedo he left as the week day guy, I was supposed to take his job and didn't get it. So I thought that's the end of his career. And my dad said, probably want to come home. Now, we'll start you know, let's start over, Let's get a real job. I'm supporting, come on back. So there wasn't a lot of advice that way, but there was plenty of advice on the other things. To what Sam is talking about being a good teammate, you know, saying yes to generally any assignment you're being asked to do. The easier you make your boss's life, the more opportunities you're likely to have. Because in our field there are many who are pain in the ass to the boss, they make it harder on them, and just be the guy or the woman that they it gets along with everybody. Learn the tricks of the trade so you can appreciate, you know, what an audio person is doing, what a cameraman is going through, how our producer is thinking. As opposed to you probably should have said this here, layout, here, peaks and valleys with the voice. But those things I learned by observing the people in the field, not necessarily by asking a parent or a father who never was in it. You guys have parents that are in it. I just don't ever look at it like that's that's my you know, my primary responsibility. You'll you'll figure it out. And you're you, I mean, most importantly, don't be me, you know, be you. We've been around. Think about the legends of broadcasting. Who are our peers that have gone on to such great things and Chris Berman and Mike Turco and Chris Fowler and Rhys Davis and John Saunders and Robert Roberts. There are just little bits and pieces that you observed that they didn't come and tell me. And you pick up things. But you've got to be yourself. And I always felt too much interference means you're going to be more like new or don't Stewart stut there's only one that ever lived. Don't try that. And there was a generation of people who did try the mimicking thing, and that's just not me.
Speaker 2: Now, Carl, I have a question a little bit about you know, day of when you're doing a big, big game of Sunday night baseball, a Monday night baseball game, and when my dad was in the booth with you guys, it always seemed like there was a running bit or a gag or something that you were able to get the audience in on. And I recall one of my favorites, and I hope I don't steal your favorite story, which is when you guys were at Fenway Park and my dad was wearing a winter coat in the booth, mind.
Speaker 5: You, and gloves.
Speaker 3: But yeah, he had lost.
Speaker 2: One of his gloves and he was complaining, I can't find my glove. Can't find my glove. And at every bump shot, you know, when you come back from a commercial or you're about to go to a commercial, you had the whole camera crew in on it putting his glove and different on the monster.
Speaker 3: It's on a scene and Dad never noticed it played the playback. I mean, just genius.
Speaker 2: I just love I had to because I know you had to have been behind that front, right.
Speaker 3: You know it's I was certainly a part of it. I mean there was We were always trying to conspire ways and unfortunately your dad, who I know is in the room and can hear this. He is one of the perfect targets for things like because of the way he behaves and look with you know, there's a great story about getting to a Yankee game when it's snowing seven hours early, sitting in a parking garage that it wasn't even open. Somehow he got the car in there. The game gets canceled, he's got to go home. But he created so many of those opportunities. You know, we still arted this before we came on to do the podcast The Heavy Side the Knee Platt. There are so many mannerisms that everybody, everybody, I mean Jeff and Sam. You walk into a Baseball Tonight green room and as soon as he walks in, oh and then everybody as everybody's doing the Tim kirkshinak. So yeah, the glove thing was great because and Wardo was in on everybody was in on it, and there was this glove. You know, it's like the TV over Sam's you know, left shoulder there. Everybody can see it except the gloves. The glove there, it's in the popcorn. It's everywhere, right, right, kid? It was wonderful, right.
Speaker 12: The message here, though, The chemistry between the people on air is the most important thing, whether you're in a booth or in the studio. Rammy and I have great chemistry, and I easily irritate him and easily annoy him by bringing back the same old lines and the same old jokes because he's already heard him before, and he he rolls.
Speaker 1: His eyes better than any one I've ever seen. Whether it's you know, some stupid joke that I.
Speaker 5: Tell, he even knows it's coming.
Speaker 10: Now on every show we do, I look at rab and go. Did I ever tell you I went to Walter Johnson High School? And he just wants to leave the booth. But the irritable rabb is an even better RAVI. So I'm a big believer. Chemistry in the booth is absolutely critical. You young guys recognize that, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we do.
Speaker 6: Tim.
Speaker 8: I'm curious when was the first moment that you realize, yeah, I think I can have some chemistry with this guy.
Speaker 5: No, it was right.
Speaker 1: Away with Ravi because again I saw very early on as the show host, just like we talked about earlier, his job was to make me feel comfortable there because he knew if I was uncomfortable, I wasn't gonna be any good and if he panicked and and he was uncomfortable, I would have no chance. So the chemistry begin very quickly between the two.
Speaker 10: As far as throwing barbs at each other, that took a few.
Speaker 1: Years and then and now it's like an all out war every time we go on the air, and it's hilarious.
Speaker 3: It's hilarious until these people and again, you guys have dealt with social media your entire life. What is what always I find so amazing is while we would do a broadcast and Tim is about to start a story and I'll just finish it before he goes into did I ever tell you yes, I know, yes, I know you wrote for that and all of those I get it. People would would unfortunately sit there and say, please leave Tim alone, like we make fun of Tim, And at that point I just said, you know that in a sense you're not getting it. And like you said, Jeff, the goal is to invite people in like you, We're trying to make you part of this if you were, and I think we got to a point, or I certainly got to a point where it felt like you had a certain real core group of people that were watching who understood. It's like watching Seinfeld whatever. You get it, like you know, I get it. And the first time somebody watches that show, they may look at it and be like, I don't understand any of it, but the other people in the room who've watched it for so long, they understand it. And the other point about the comfort and the chemistry and the point guard. Anybody that ever does play by play should realize personally that I believe we are only as good as the analysts, because those are the ones with the expertise. I don't really think, with the exception of a very few people, that people tune in to hear who's doing the play by play. You know, game five, game six, game seven, we're all gonna watch because it's game five, six or seven, not because play by play person X Y and Z are doing it. I always look at the play by play and booth as the condiment to the main course. If it's a burger where the ketchup and the salt and the mustard and the pickle, that's what we are. We can make it taste a little bit better, but you're still gonna eat. You still want to watch that. And the only way that you entice people to watch it is to make sure that the Tims and the Eduardos and the Cones and the bus and the Heralds are comfortable. I mean, Buck show author is like one of the most wonderful human beings ever. But it was very evident to us when he first started there wasn't he wasn't comfortable on TV. And if you could figure out a way to get Buck to be loose and to share what he does in the room with us on TV, we all win, and the viewer wins. And that to me is the key. If you can get those guys to be as comfortable as possible and as good as possible. And to your point, Chef, that doesn't me saying Tim, do you remember when Barry Bonds came? Like of course, Jim remembers that you've gotta take them down a road that they're not exactly sure. And I know the analyst on our show had said, you never know what the hell he's gonna ask you, And I think that's important. You know, you've got to keep the analysts on edge. I don't want you to sit there and think like this is this is gonna be rote and routine and easy, and you know it. I'm not. I'm never gonna embarrass anybody ever. But I know I listened to what they say in the green room and other things later on, that's gonna come up in the show, like that's coming up, and it may have nothing more often than nothing to do with baseball. But if Bobby Valentine talks about a bike accident and that he had or left a wallet where Tim said something, we will bring that up. That becomes the inside joke that everybody at home is gonna be privy to that happened.
Speaker 1: Long right, long story, I'll make it quick. And I got a speeding ticket while doing a radio show on my way to Brace the Ones with my daughter and her best friend in the backseat.
Speaker 5: Ravi the Mischievous Ravi the found.
Speaker 10: The audio of me talking to a policewoman one time was doing a radio show and ran it. Ambushed me on the show that night. It was one of the stupidest things I've ever seen. It was totally hilarious.
Speaker 1: But it's because he recognized that's funny, and that's part of the battle.
Speaker 5: When you're a play by play guy or any on air guy. What is going to work.
Speaker 3: Right and quickly? Jeff, look the wedding dancing video of times. The most maybe the most important lesson in all of this is, hey, be comfortable with who you are and don't be afraid to laugh at yourself. My god, Tim has made a career not only out of laughing at himself but because of it causing everyone else to have a good time and laugh too.
Speaker 2: You kind of gained that mischievous in all in good heart and all of it. But do you have that kind of It's very creative to come up with these kind of things. Let me find this radio clip, well, let me get this dancing clip because Tim said he was going to a wedding. Do you find that you had that creative streak?
Speaker 8: I find that I like, I want to have it, but I don't feel like I'm at the point yet where I think I deserve to be having that amount of leeway, Like I feel like I need to be a little bit more straight laced right now. Maybe once we establish ourselves a little bit more, we could we could get a little bit more creative. But the one thing that I do agree with that my dad said was like, you have to be able to laugh at yourself when you when you mess up, or when you make a mistake.
Speaker 6: Or you know, just in general.
Speaker 8: Like this again, I go back to just saying this is supposed to be fun. If we're not having fun on the air, I guarantee you the people at home aren't.
Speaker 6: Having fun either. So yeah, that that is another piece of.
Speaker 8: Advice that that I have just carried along with me and the I think the mantra on Baseball tonight for a long time when I would always go in was just get comfortable being uncomfortable like that was something they would always say, and I chopped.
Speaker 6: That with me too.
Speaker 5: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Well, listen, we can keep you guys all day, but Sam has to go to the airport. One question, Sam, do you have a printed boarding pass in your pocket at the moment, Because I have never left a hotel room or home without a printed boarding pass in my pocket.
Speaker 5: Or you like your dad, who doesn't care.
Speaker 3: He just shows up and walks through.
Speaker 6: I have not checked into my flight yet. How about that.
Speaker 3: I'm so proud of you. That's just you leave in ninety minutes.
Speaker 6: I'll try not to get a speeding ticket on the wind of the airport.
Speaker 5: Right while you're doing a radio show.
Speaker 3: That's right, all right, well raight.
Speaker 2: Carl, thank you so much for joining the podcast seriously, And Sam, I know you'll join me in saying a Happy Father's Day to these two amazing broadcast dads. Thank you for being our best friends, our biggest supporters. We would not have what we have in our lives without you. We both sound a lot like our dad. Sam, You're a lot luckier than I am in that case because your dad's got him velvet smooth boys, and I've got this uberty voice that I'm dealing with. But thank you Sam and Carl. Happy Father's Day. Carl and Dad, thank you guys so much for joining us.
Speaker 5: Well, it's great, great, Thanks everyone, you guys agreed.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: Thank you Sam, Thank you Carl for joining us for our Father's Day episode. And Dad, you mentioned it at the beginning of the show.
Speaker 1: It's very special.
Speaker 2: I'm a first time dad. This is my very first Father's Day. We got a ten month old baby girl. She is just the light of my life. She's incredible. My wife just had her first Mother's Day naturally, and I mean I pulled out all the stops. I got her these rings that have the name of our new puppy Ranger, and then McKinley with her birth stone, and like, you know, a little stackable rings, and got her like this really cute bag that she can carry McKinley in and everything. And she just recently asked me, well, what do you want for your first Father's Day? And without hesitation, I said, a new vacuum for the pool And she said, are you serious? And I said, yeah, absolutely, make my life a lot easier.
Speaker 1: And I remember I used to make fun of you for asking for very practical gifts growing.
Speaker 2: Up, thinking, Dad, don't you want something cool, some fancy machine.
Speaker 1: You go, no, I just need some new socks and maybe a new shovel.
Speaker 2: That'd be nice, Right, that's a dad gift, and I'm okay with it.
Speaker 1: Well, you remember one Father's Day recently for Father's Day, I got a broom to help clean the house. You got me an ear trimmer so I could trim my ears, and you got me a trimmer so I could shave my back. Now that's a father's day that you don't forget something to clean the floors, shave your ears, and to shave your back. That's an Armedian father. Oh my god, thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 2: Thank you, and to all the dads out there, a happy Father's Stay to you. Thank you for making us a part of your Father's Stay week, and as always, thank you for being a part of our family.