Speaker 1: So much football practice, so little time, so much slow motion as well, twenty five teams on the field for mini camp today, and we got the next sixty minutes to take you all around the NFL like nobody else can. That includes a stop in Pittsburgh where QB one has finally arrived. What took so long? Why are the Steelers the right spot? And is that a wedding ring on Aaron Rodgers finger? We are live in Pittsburgh to break down the four time MVP's arrival. We know one of Rogers' new teammates was not there to greet him, and TJ. Watt was not the only superstar missing today around the league. We will tell you who showed up, who did it, and what it all means about big deals getting done. Welcome inside with the insiders. I am Tom Peliicero. That is Mike Garafullo, who we have released into the wild, though not the tree lined parking lot you saw him in earlier today on NFL Network. He's now wearing a very form fitting polo shirt inside the building. How's the vibes there today on a big day in Pittsburgh, Mike.
Speaker 2: Oh, the vibes are just excellent, Tom. Actually it's pretty quiet in here. Earlier Mini Caamp, the opening of Mini Camp, Aaron Rodgers arriving. Look, we've gone through this with him with the Jets. There was a lot of hoopla the last couple of years with his arrival there. This was the opposite. This was more of a expected arrival for many many months. Finally occurred, and for a team that is saying, hey, we're not gonna build everything around this guy. He's gonna be a piece of what we do, but he fits. They feel like he fits in the vibe between him and Mike Tommin which we'll get to in a second, seems like it has been really good over the last couple of months, and that is why Aaron Rodgers is here finally for a little taste of the spring session before they break and come back for training camp in the summer.
Speaker 1: To be clear, this is not a green screen. This is not AI. Mike is really there inside the Sewer's facility, and this is also not AI. It's really Aaron Rodgers. Word at number eight practice jersey and on the field for the first time in a Steelers uniform. A month's long courtship coming to a head last week when Aaron Rodgers agreed to terms on a one year contract that could be worth close to twenty million dollars. Rogers on the scene at last and here's what he had to say about why it ended up in Pittsburgh.
Speaker 3: You know, I think it starts with Mike Tumblin, and then I've been a fan of his for a long time. There's a few iconic franchises in the NFL. I played for one of them for eighteen years. This is another one of those. There's something special about, obviously this area. So many great quarterbacks are from Pittsburgh. I feel like Pittsburgh has been a part of my career from the beginning. Again, the rapport that fell in between me and Mike made it to where as I was going through my personal stuff, there wasn't any other option for me. It was here and I play. I don't need it for my ego. I don't need it to keep playing. A lot of decisions that I've made over my career in life from strictly the ego, even if they turn out well, are always unfulfilling. But the decisions made from the soul are usually pretty fulfilling. So this was a decision that was best for my soul, and I felt like being here with Coach t and the guys. They got here and the opportunity here was the best for me. And I'm excited to be here.
Speaker 1: To see what Aaron Rodgers' body can do. The soul is certainly willing. He seemed a beat today, Mike watching from Afari, looked clean cut relative to the Aaron Rodgers who has showed up sometimes in off seasons past. What else did you glean from his time with the reporters there, Well, you.
Speaker 2: Know, married life will do that, Tia Tom and Aaron Rodgers did confirm that that is a wedding ring that he is wearing on his finger. We haven't met Brittany yet. It's like when your friend is telling you he met this new girl. It's going great.
Speaker 1: When can we meet her?
Speaker 4: We don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe we'll all, you know, double date at one point and finally meet Brittany.
Speaker 5: We shall see.
Speaker 2: But in the meantime, Aaron Rodgers on the field at Mini Camp. We saw him in the locker room before practice trying on a number of different helmets. The helmet that he's worn, as he said, for twenty years, is a shut helmet every year the NFL and the NFLPA. There's the recommended helmets, there's the approved helmets, the not approved helmets. He's got to now change to a different helmet. He said, he can't stand the one you can see it right there. Can't stand the one he's wearing right there. Look, that's part of why he's here right now is just to get a little bit of a taste. Didn't know where he was going in the building. Had to ask directions from Bert Lawton, the head of media relations for the Steelers, where's this, where's that? Figuring out the building because remember when they go to training camp, it's not here, it's going to be in Latrobe. So he wants to get to know the building a little bit, get to know his teammates. It's also a mandatory part of the spring. He wasn't under contract. If he didn't sign, he wouldn't have to be here. But you know what, the rest of the team, it's mandatory. I'm gonna be a part of this. I'm gonna start to build a rapport and get to know guy and be around. He did not, as you can see right here, did not take any reps during the team portion of practice. He said he was willing to do that, but Mike Tomlin said, no, relax, stay to the side for now. We actually asked Tomlin about that and he said, I'll be honest with you. The reps in June are more important for guys like, let's say, Will Howard, the young guys, because they've got to get caught up to speed so that they're ready in training camp. So that's the trust that Tomlin has in Aaron Rodgers. The fact that he hasn't been around all spring. He's listening to the play calls in the headset because he's got to learn the terminology. You'd think we're late in the process, but they have that much confidence in him to get caught up that they're giving the reps to some of these younger guys here and believe that he is going to be ready to go come week one once he gets his work in training camp. He's had some throwing sessions with DK Metcalf alone. Now got to have at least a little bit here in Pittsburgh time.
Speaker 1: Aaron Rodgers also asked, but how long will take him to pick up all that stuff with the language and the scheme in the office. He said, well, couple of weeks, Well, you had a couple of weeks if you had showed up sooner. Here instead, he's got like two three days on the field of mini camp. And he also said this was about wanting to make sure that the other things he was dealing with in his personal life were resolved or at least improved that he was going through during the spring. He wanted to make sure once he arrived he was all in. That's something that took place really over the past week. Here and now here we go once again, Aaron Rodgers arriving with great fanfare on a team that's got really really high hopes, certainly the Steelers, hoping that this ends better than the last time Aaron Rodgers made his debut at MetLife Stadium, which lasted all of four snaps during his first season with the Jets. So Aaron Rodgers on hand for the mandatory mini camp. There were some other players around the NFL who were not there for the mandatory mini camp. That included Trey Hendrickson holding out in Cincinnati while awaiting a new contract, Johnny Smith, Jalen Ramsey, was excused, Terry McLaurin, and then one guy, Mike Great they're in Pittsburgh, who's a pretty important piece of that team as well. TJ.
Speaker 2: Watt in the last year of his deal, Tom making, I think it's twenty one million dollars this year. We're looking at pass rushers on the top end of the market up to around forty million dollars per year. Look these other names in the list, and you're going to get into some of them in just a short bit. They're more contentious than this one. I don't feel that this one is contentious. You don't have to find a player, like we talk about these finds that could add up to over one hundred thousand dollars if a player missus mandatory mini camp over the next couple of days. You don't have to find a player. So we'll see what the Steelers wind up doing on this one. I know that they feel really good about the talks that they've had and the offers that they've made. They also have a lot of confidence in TJ.
Speaker 6: Watt.
Speaker 2: In fact, they were talking about while we're talking right now, he's probably literally working out right now. Mike Tommin has the belief that TJ. Watt is going to be just fine. Working away from the facility, so they're not stressing about that part of it. If there was a pressure point right now in the start of training camp, seems like it's a pressure point. I feel like this thing would get done, and we'll get done at some point. I don't sense any long term concerns about TJ Watt, despite the fact that he's thrown up that peace sign in that picture he posted on Instagram bought a couple of weeks ago and people freaked out about that.
Speaker 1: Has been an ongoing situation for months with TJ Watt. Everybody knew what those other pass rushers getting paid, Miles Garrett, Max Crosby, daneil Hunter on a one year, big money extension, TJ Watt was going to on his eventually. Kind of similar with Terry McLaurin. This is something that was percolating all the way back at the combine that at some point here with the wide receiver market exploding, McLaurin, who's doing a little under twenty million dollars in twenty twenty five, was going to be seeking a contract upgrade. Not only did you have Jamar Chase, who blew out of the water the top contract in the market is teammate t Higgins got a deal that's worth more annually than Terry McLaurin is making. Right now, it's still the second week in June. There's not necessarily a pressure point right now, five six weeks until training camp. Let's see where we are as they try to work toward this deal. And as for Trey Henderson, this has been playing out very publicly in Cincinnati, where Hendrickson traveled a few weeks ago to get in front of the media on an open practice day and explain all the reasons that he was not going to play on his existing contract, which is due to pay him sixteen point five million dollars this season. The top of that market now is forty million dollars per year with Miles Garrett. Trey Hendrickson, who signed a one year extension two off seasons ago. That's why he's under contract of twenty twenty five. He doesn't want another one year extension here, So can they come to a number that makes sense on a multi year contract. You hate to say anything is close, because there is no close. It's either done or it's not. Right now, it is not done with Trey Hendrickson here, can't roll out the possibility they could do something to get him in for the mandatory mini camp, but as of now he is not there. One of his new teammates, the guy they planned to play on the other side of the line, Shamar Stewart, is there in Cincinnati, the number seventeen overall draft pick. But at this point Shamar Stewart does not have a contract, so he is not practicing, has not signed a participation agreement, and he had some thoughts on that whole situation today.
Speaker 5: I still go to meetings.
Speaker 4: I still stand in my playbook, you know, taking on the right notes, and then when now we gets some free time, we'll go out to train one hundred.
Speaker 5: Is that right?
Speaker 4: So it should be a no brainer. And Trayce case, I think it should be a no brainer too. I mean, he led seventeen and a half Saxon for two years back to back. If I was the GM or I was the owner, take all my money. But I guess they don't offer you like that.
Speaker 1: He disputed over contract language, keeping shamar Stewart away for the time being. My com Parsons also is up for a new contract, but he is at least in attendance today, told reporters he was dealing with back tightness, could perhaps also just be a little bit of wallet tightness for Michael Parsons. But new coach Brian Shot and IM are happy that both Micah and tray Von Diggs showed up on day one.
Speaker 7: I think it just shows you that he's serious about what we've talked about, which is developing that leadership mentality, the mindset to be a guy that we can count on, and not just the fourth quarter when he's got to, you know, make a big sack or get pressure on the quarterback, but just in general throughout.
Speaker 5: The course of a week.
Speaker 7: And it's a long season. We all know that, and my conversation with Micah have been great. He'll be out on the field doing some stuff.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 7: It's actually great. Trayvon got here early. It's great to see him. He's one of the first guys I saw, and he got his rehab stuff in with Britt, so both guys were excited to be here.
Speaker 1: Sorry if I Diggs still long road back from his injury. James Cook is healthy. It was actually on the field today. Had skipped all of the voluntary portions of the off season schedule while seeking his new contract. They had talks way back February March, after the season, we're't able to get a deal done, but after conversations today, Cook decided to be on the field. As for why you showed up, he told reporters, I like my money. That's why I'm here. Fines for missing all three days with total a little over one hundred thousand dollars. Kirk Cousins also likes his money. He chose to show up on day one of the Falcons mini camp, even though Cousins had made abundantly clear early in the off season that he would love to be playing quarterbacks somewhere and not backing up that guy, Michael Pennix Junior. Cousins today speaking reporters for the first time in quite a while, also making clear that at this point his focus is moving forward.
Speaker 8: Michael is going to do great. He's going to have a great career. He's off to a great start. He's got all the all the tangibles and intangibles you need to be successful. And I'm just here to support him, you know, as he needs it.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 10: Just getting better, you know, being better than I was last year, being better than I was yesterday and today you know, each and every day, just working on improving, you know, on the field, off the field, building connections, relationships with my teammates. You know, it's a lot of different aspects that going to that you know, in order for you know, this teams how to season that we want to have to see.
Speaker 1: Mike. We know this. The Falcons were so high on Michael Pennix junior they were willing to take him number eight overall on the twenty twenty four draft, just six weeks after they had signed Kirk Cousins to a deal including one hundred million dollars guaranteed. No question. When I asked for Hem Morris back at the COMBA, is there any scenario where Kirk could beat out Penix? He said, Pennix is our starter. And in listening to Kirk's words there too, when he said those are things we talked about months ago and now we move forward, I can't help but think this is a guy who's got a no trade clause, and even if something materialized at some point during KF the preseason or the regular season, Kirk might go My best opportunity to show I can still play high quality football might be if a situation injury or otherwise arises right there in Atlanta.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, listen, if you're the Falcons and there isn't a big injury elsewhere, remember that Eagles Sam Bradford trade from a couple of years ago. Uh more than a couple of years ago, but remember that trade, and the Eagles had the ability to trade him then for a first round pick, because at that point, if you're a team that's in contention and your starter goes down, you don't have a backup that you want to turn it over to. You get a little desperate, and all of a sudden, now you're willing to bid higher than you wear the entire offseason. So that's one reason why the Falcons could wind up looking smart by holding on to Kirk Cousins. The other one, if there is an injury to Michael Pennox, You're right, Kirk Cousins being your backup one of the better options that the Falcons have as it pertains to back up quarterbacks throughout this entire league. And you talked about a couple of months ago when they went through all these things, Kirk Cousins had that no trade clause which allowed him to say to the Falcons don't even agree to a trade before the draft because I'm not going to accept that because he was worried that what happened to him in Atlanta could have happened to him potentially again. So this has been a little bit of a back and forth when it comes to the leverage in this case, the Falcons had it, then Cousins had it. It feels like it's kind of gone back and forth, and now the Falcons kind of have it when it pertains to whether he stays or goes, because there's not a lot of options. There are no other options really from a starting standpoint, there are no other options for a team willing to take on all of that money. It could change if there's an injury or some kind of situation where a team needs that, whether it's in training camp, into the preseason, maybe even early in the season. So there's really no way of predicting this at this point. What Cousins is saying, in control what you can control. Be the best employee, the best backup that he can be in Atlanta at this point, and then we'll see where it goes.
Speaker 1: A twenty seven point five million dollars backup, fully guaranteed in twenty twenty five also has ten million dollars get fully guaranteed in twenty twenty six. Falcons have not wanted to eat a substantial chunk of that money. Just one of the reasons that right now Kirk Cousins is still in Atlanta. Twenty five teams on the field for mini camp today, including the Big Boys with the Chargers right there in El Segundo where Shan Slater who's still winning a new deal, as well as last ye's first dround pick Joe alt on the field getting ready to protect a quarterback that I'll safe to say, Jim Harba likes a lot.
Speaker 11: The best uh, you know, expectation is setting the set in the example you know of of work ethic and training. You know you at least you would at least be aspiring to to uh to train at his level and UH to uh to compete at his level and to work at his level. I know it motivates me every day.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Insiders. Tom Pilisero, Mike, You'refolo and the guy that motivates us every day. Omar Ruiz Omar, you were there at Chargers Mini camp today. What else did you end Jim Harbaugh have to say about Justin Herbert.
Speaker 12: Well, Jim Harbaugh, whenever he speaks about Jim Justin Herbert, you guys know he gushes about him. So I asked, you know, what he would like to see from him in Mini caamp and a lot of what he said. How to do with that SoundBite right there? How Justin Herbert, he hopes will continue to elevate those him by those players aspiring to work like Justin Herbert and really follow his lead in that way. And Harbaugh identified Herbert as one of nine players that he says are elite on the roster. And I'm not going to leave any of these guys out, so I'm going to read it off. But those players were Herbert, Derwin James, Khalil Mack, Joe Alt, Lad McConkey, Zion Johnson, Rashaun Slater, Twoey Tuia Pilo, two Dayon Henley. Those are the nine that Harbaugh has no problem identifying and singling out amongst the team. Derwin James telling me that those are the nine players that he tells in team meetings he wants players to ascend to. So Herbert, he says, is always going to play at his elite level. He's going to practice at that elite level. He's going to work at that elite level. What they're hoping for is now that those nine players are the tide, and the tide rises all boats and the rest of the team elevate in that way. And Rball telling me that there's plenty of room for other players in that elite category and if they have enough of those that reach that, they feel that it.
Speaker 1: Can go pretty deep.
Speaker 12: So far in the playoffs this year.
Speaker 2: That's bothering me. It's the elite eight, right, So you got to come up with something different, like the Fine nine or something like that, And that's the elite eight.
Speaker 1: Is one off.
Speaker 2: It's bothering me.
Speaker 12: You're a Marshall.
Speaker 1: What else? Yeah, right?
Speaker 2: Exactly what else is Harball emphasizing for this team in mini camp Omar other than crisply ironed khchys.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, you know Harball always emphasizes physicality, right, So I asked him how in this non padded, non physical practices, the setting that mini camps are, how do they instill that physicality? He told me that we're not They're not going to instill the physicality that they're going to see in the fall that he wants the team to play with. What he does want to see is polish. He said that is an old school term. He says that people don't use anymore, but he wants to have his team polish in that they're trying to be perfect in everything that they do and he wants everybody to know exactly what they are doing. You see the way Laden Maconky runs to have so fine for their assignments on the field that it translates at every level and they are ready to go once they are able to implement the physicality portion of the year in training camp. So it is the technique, especially on the offensive line guys he wants to see with those explosive first steps, those six inches tending to be perfect and then they get greedy and the second and third steps. And you mentioned coming into this segment, Tom, that Rashaan Slater was there in attendance, speaking of those o line, those perfect techniques. Slater participating in the mandatory mini camp portion, obviously going into the last year of his rookie contract working for.
Speaker 1: A bigger deal.
Speaker 12: But Slater's presence another indicator that these Chargers believe they have something special in the building with that culture, they're looking to get obviously further than the wildcard round of the playoffs. Slater's presence, just like the rest of the star players, most of the rest of the star players have been very active. They've had a high participation percentage for those star players and most of the offseason all working toward what they expect to be an even better team in twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: For these LA Chargers, omar thank you more from you a little bit later. One guy who will not be back with Jim Harbaugh in LA this season is last year's top running back JK. Dobbins agreed to terms today with an AFC West rival. He is headed to Denver on a one year deal that could be worth up to five point two to five million. Comeback Player of the Year finalists last year, Dobbin's course has dealt with multiple major injuries in his career, but still when he has been on the field, one of the most efficient backs in the NFL and now pairing up with a high draft pick in Denver Anthony Richardson at a high draft pick several years ago. Injuries have been the early story of his career and also the story of the offseason, dealing with a shoulder issue he recently got a second opinion. Coach Shane Steikens said today it is the ac joint that he injured back in twenty twenty three. Dealer with Sorenus. No alarm bells at this point, but more missed reps this week at a time that he is in a competition with Daniel Jones. Also the Colts this week announcing officially their new ownership structure. Jim Ersay, the longtime owner and CEO, passed away last month at age sixty five. His daughters, Carly, Casey and Kaylin, are now taking over the team, with Carly Ersa Gordon serving as the controlling owner. Here is what she had to say today about her vision for her team.
Speaker 13: We are so proud to continue our dad's legacy, beginning with carrying out his foremost wish to keep.
Speaker 2: The Colts in our family.
Speaker 14: We want our fans to know that we've spent decades in our family business, learning every aspect of our organization under our dad's leadership.
Speaker 1: A lot more to come here on the Insiders. The Dolphins also out on the field for mini camp today and Tyreek Hill first time since risk surgery. He's some passes. What does it mean in the direction of this Dolphins offense? In twenty twenty five, Cameron Wolf was there next to me here and he'll tell us on the inside.
Speaker 2: A steamy mini camp down there in Miami, the Dolphins mandatory mini camp, one of the many opening today, to Tunguo Mailoa, to Malik Washington. There possible breakout Kennith this year, we'll see some of us think so, some of us think maybe I will see meantime. Here's Mike McDaniel on the philosophy for the Dolphins this season.
Speaker 13: Being able to feel a team in seven weeks of gotten to that point where I have an idea of a team, not exactly what it's going to look like. They'll define that by their daily work, but the elements of a team that you can only really create through blood, sweat, tears. Failure is the key, because too many people are avoiding failure in life and in football.
Speaker 2: YEP, I agree with that that there's some wise sage advice there from Mike McDaniel on life and football. Cameron Wolf joining us now camp. You got to like read between the lines on this and with Tua Tunguo Mailoa had to say about the team chemistry because it's not like there's been wholesale changes to the roster, just a couple of guys that were not necessarily there anymore. But you're talking about team and chemistry and all this stuff. The buzzwords keep buzzing for the Dolphins. What is it about this team that they want to see such better chemistry in twenty five?
Speaker 14: Yeah, the biggest thing I saw from Too is a different look every year.
Speaker 1: He looks a little different than he did the year before.
Speaker 14: But for them, they're trying to change a culture that from the perception from the outside is sawd That's a word they've heard a lot, and they cringe with the idea of it. But look, it's not going to change through June words, and I think the team knows that they're saying the right things at this stage. But we're going to see the action when it comes in the fall in December practice.
Speaker 1: I think the most interesting thing to us.
Speaker 14: Said today was discussing his progress through the injuries, because that's really the question mark.
Speaker 5: When we talk about Too.
Speaker 14: Obviously, he had the concussion last year, he had the hip injury late last season, He said that he got healthy around February from that hip injury. He wouldn't say exactly what it was, but he said that as long as he protects himself better, or won't be reoccurring. And really that's been a focus point for him throughout. OTA's in mini camp, getting the ball out quicker, making those decisions where last year he wanted to run somebody over a lower shoulder to prove that he.
Speaker 1: Was tough enough.
Speaker 14: He said, I got to make a different mindset decision because my availability is key. He's planning on throwing the ball away more, sliding more, and not wanting to be that superhero that risked his availability as it has in the past, and so he has to lead through that.
Speaker 1: But I have heard he's been more vocal the building.
Speaker 14: He talked about practicing with guys even outside of the practice time. And that takes me to Tyreek Hill, his top weapon, who's coming off a tumultuous end of the season, taking himself out of the game, asking out and then everything that's happened in the offseason.
Speaker 1: He's recovering from that risk injury.
Speaker 14: I watched him today catch passes for the first time we've seen since he's had that risk surgery. You could tell he was still getting comfortable. He dropped one pass, he called a few others, but it's a great sign for his recovery might be. Daniel said that the combine, the hope was for him to be able to start catching passes by training camp, and so the fact that he's already trying at this stage of mini camp shows that he's in good pace for the regular season. He's been vocal through our practices and they expect to see a different version of Tyreek than we saw late in the season.
Speaker 1: To what did mention, He's.
Speaker 14: Practiced with Tyreek some of those routes on air and trying to get ready for this season that they hope it's going to be a little bit more smoother in December and January than it has in the past.
Speaker 2: It is interesting when you talk about the changeover in culture, the new culture and making sure everybody's bought in that a guy who was frankly asking out is still a part of the team and still expected to be a key part. That's the trust that they have in Tyreek Hill that he's going to be eyes forward this year. In twenty twenty five, John new Smith the tight end. Jalen Ramsey, the cornerback. Not there at minicamp for two different reasons, and excuse and excuse what he got there.
Speaker 14: Yeah, two completely different reasons for John hus Smith and Jalen Ramsey's accidents.
Speaker 1: Let's start with John news Smith. John Newsmith wants a new contract.
Speaker 14: He's set to make four point one million dollars last year.
Speaker 1: He's coming off in.
Speaker 14: Excellent season, the best tight end season in Miami history, and he wants that bag.
Speaker 1: And right now they haven't.
Speaker 14: Been able to get to a contract for and I've been told this has been going on for multiple months. And then John who made the decision not to show up for mandatory minicamp, it.
Speaker 1: Was not excused.
Speaker 14: So he is potentially getting fined over one hundred thousand dollars for mixing this week. And that's where some of those trade talks we've heard with John who come up right now. Both sides would like to get something done. We're going to have a month or a month and a half until training camp to see if that's done. But he's a key part of the weapon to a set today. He's team paid John u he said he's thrown a couple of times with John who outside of the facility facility, and so the hope is that he gets.
Speaker 1: Something done there.
Speaker 14: As far as Jalen Ramsey, it's not a money deal, it's a relationship deal. And this is a divorce that is just waiting a ending. At this stage, he is staying away. They excused him for practice. He will not be fine. This is a situation where both sides are working together to find that rate right trade partner. He's still do twenty one million dollars in guaranteed money and they've got to figure out that money before finding the right partner. So this could be something that still lingers into training camp until they find a right partner. But two guys who are for different reasons not here for Miami.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you see these trade situations get resolved right before training camp. It's like, let's just move on. Let's not even bring this into training camp. Let's get the best deal that we could possibly get. Let's eat as much money as we possibly have. Again, you need to that pressure point could be the start of training camp for the Miami Dolphins. Cameron Wolf will be there at the start of training camp to see if Jalen Ramsey is there and what the Dolphins are gonna look like in twenty five Morgan Moses just there walking into the building, a free agent signy from the New England Patriots, a just enormous human being, an enormous presence for the Patriots as a lot of people think this could be the team that maybe gets close to flipping its record under Mike Vrabel, with a schedule that lines up pretty I don't want to say easily for them, but pretty nicely for them.
Speaker 5: We shall see.
Speaker 2: The work begins in the spring, continues into the summer. Stefan Diggs there for the end of the spring, asked about that video of him on a boat, and he pretty much said, mind you.
Speaker 6: I kind of like, how have a thing where talk about my person like with people I don't know personally. I'm pretty sure everybody here men and women are great people, but you know, what I'm saying kind of came my person my personal personal I had a conversation with raved obviously omcho everything that he said.
Speaker 5: He told me, you know, hoping everybody.
Speaker 8: Making good decisions what I'm saying.
Speaker 6: And I had a conversation with people in a building as well, so you know, everything else is everything.
Speaker 1: Else the Browns field. They made a good decision locking up Miles Garrett on a four year, one hundred and sixty million dollar contract extension this off season, mainly because this is what he looks like. It's not AI, it's not photoshop. I'm not really sure what that is. Miles Garrett has muscles on top of muscles, and he also has some thoughts on being back in Cleveland.
Speaker 9: I mean, I look forward to my best season for sure, and I think it's chinning that way. It's been really good, and I think everything is putting in that direction, and I liked, you know, where we are as a defense unit's really firing, really rolling, and I think it's really clicking as far as so the this scheme in the place, especially early on, that's that's big. I think it's a good opportunity to put him in the graveyard.
Speaker 1: Time now would for count on it. Present by Toro Tom Peliicero, joined now by Brian Baldinger. To be clear, Baldi for anyone watching at home, he's talking about the graveyard in his front yard where he has the tombstones every Halloween. The kids can see it. Not the literal great gard lawyer. Rogers is forty one years old. Some bad things, potentially good happen here. Let me ask you this ball. We know Miles Garrett's a really good player. They do have talent on this team, But can Brown's fans count on their squad being more competitive in the AFC North than twenty twenty five?
Speaker 15: Well, I mean, right now, they've got Joe Flacco pencilvy it as a starter, right, I mean, that's kind of how what we're led to believe right now.
Speaker 5: They could change, but you.
Speaker 15: Know, and you know, it just so happened at Miles Garrett became the defensive player of the Year of the year that Joe Flacco took over and led him to the playoffs, winning four of his five starts down the stretch and getting him to Wild Guard Weekend. And so for Miles, I mean it starts with, look, Miles, can you go out and be the defensive player of the Year again? And they might win four games if they don't score more points.
Speaker 5: And they did a ago. And so you know, I think the offensive line should be good.
Speaker 15: I think Kevin Stefanski knows how to call plays. I think they've got some weapons. They need a quarterback to play a whole lot better than any of the four starters did a year ago.
Speaker 5: And if they do that, if these four more points were Miles Garrett gets a chance to really get after.
Speaker 15: Aaron Rodgers week six, get after some of these quarterbacks, you know, to start the season right now, whether you know it's Week one against Cincinnati, whatever it might be, it's a lot of user to get after him.
Speaker 5: If you got to lead in the fourth quarter.
Speaker 15: And so I think that's what Miles Garrett's like, all right, Joe Flack will come in, like, do what you did.
Speaker 5: Let's core some points.
Speaker 15: Let's put our Jim Schwartz led defense, myself, Macon Grahant. Let's get some dogs out there to get after these quarterbacks who to leave the fourth quarter something they rarely saw a year ago.
Speaker 1: Aaron Rodgers trailing with Miles Garrett pass rushing on the other side. Not a situation he wants to be in. A lot of news around the NFL today, including veteran player ended up in Buffalo. This time it is linebacker Shaq Thompson, longtime Carolina Panther, agreeing to terms on a one year contract with the Bills. Walter Nolan, one of the handful of remaining unsigned first round draft picks, agreed to his rookie contract with the Cardinals and the Vikings, extending tight end Josh Oliver, another Frasier acquisition a couple of years ago by Koisia. Dopho Mensa and his staff agree now on a new contract as they build that thing out around JJ McCarthy. Aaron Rodgers finally agreed to his contract with the Steelers last week, a one year deal worth up too close to twenty million dollars. Got his first taste of practicing with these Steelers today, then faced the media and wanted to make clear he's not trying to run the Aaron Rodgers offense.
Speaker 3: I don't understand our last term takeover when I see fit. I mean, I've called some two minutes over the years, but the idea that somehow I need to or have spent most of my grip outside of an offensive system is just not correct. So I'm gonna learn the offense, and Arthur and I are gonna talk a bunch this summer, and there's if there's things that I like that I'd like to see in the offense, Arthur, I'm sure is gonna put it in. But he knows how to call a game. I know how to get us in the right spot based on what's called. There's two or three plays called in the huddle. Sometimes my jobs to get us in the right play. DK has been blowing me up for a while. You know, we we got to get together out West. But I've gone against him a number of times. He's big, athletic, fast, got great hands, ball skills. But the thing that really excites me the most is his character. I think he's a high character guy.
Speaker 1: When you play twenty one NFL seasons, you eventually get some opportunities to take down some notable records, including one owned by his former teammates, Brett farb Needs six pass to on ser pass far for fourth most of all time, among many many other things. He's got the opportunity to become a fifth quarterback to beat all thirty two teams because he does get to face the Packers in Week eight of this season. Welcome back to the insiders. Tom Pilisero, Mike Garrofullo, and Brian Baldinger here. But I'll start with you in your mind. Obviously a lot of attention comes with Aaron Rodgers entering Pittsburgh, all the attention, they said, Mike, you know, all the way to Pittsburgh for this thing here in your mind? What is the benchmark for this season to be a success for Rogers and the Steelers.
Speaker 5: Well, the Steelers haven't won a playoff game in eight years. I mean, you know, this is nineteenth here for Mike Tomlin. A playoff win is the benchmark. That's where it's got to start.
Speaker 15: Otherwise, why are they investing in a forty one year old quarterback.
Speaker 5: They're there to win playoff games.
Speaker 15: And if anybody who's been around the Steelers might be there all day today, you can't walk in that facility not see the six Lombardies. So their whole goal is to get a seven. Can Aaron help them get there? It starts with winning a playoff game, and so tom you know, and then the low side of the whole thing here, Mike is this is the nineteenth year for Mike Tomlin. Who were well aware he doesn't have a losing season. Well, Aaron Rodgers doesn't want that on his epithet as well, that you know, he was there when Mike Tomlin had a losing season. So the benchmart though, is winning a playoff game. It's just that simple right now. And the offensive line that is going to play behind, they're right behind Mike Tomlin right now. They have a chance to be very good and maybe one of the better ones that Aaron has played behind in the last few years.
Speaker 1: Baldy.
Speaker 2: If they go nine to eight and lose in the wild card round, it's like, well, we could have done that with Russell Wilson or Kenny Pickett or Mason Rudolph who's currently on the roster. Like there's got to be especially because this is a team that they're going to be good enough where they're not going to be in prime position to draft a quarterback. It's not like they have a guy in the building right At some point they need a long term plan at the quarterback position. So for the time being, I agree with you, they have to win a playoff game. But it's also a and I know we've said and you saw it there. They're going to want to run the football. I mean, that's an organizational philosophy. But since Ben Roethlisberger has retired, the Steelers have forty six touchdown passes, the fewest in the NFL. They need a guy that's going to start providing some of that in their offense right now. And Aaron Rodgers at this point. We saw the flashes of it with the Jets, we didn't see it consistently, and he was banged up. I mean he said today he felt pretty good. Last year he was banged up. We need to see more than flashes, right, I mean we need we need to see consistent vintage Rogers, no question.
Speaker 1: And you see Tom I would save real quick.
Speaker 5: And we have talked about this throughout the off season. I mean, he was not good at the end of games. Last year.
Speaker 15: They had a great chance to beat the Minnesota Vikings in London. He missed a wide open Garrett Wilson. They had a chance against Seattle after he threw a pick six to Leonard Williams to go down and win that game. They had a chance if they could score touchdown. Mike, you might have been in the building against Denver Week four to win that game, and they couldn't sport them from the one yard line.
Speaker 5: I had opportunities. He couldn't. I think he's got to see that.
Speaker 15: It had to be frustrating to him that he couldn't consistently put the ball where he wanted to put him the way we're used to seeing him do it. Where under any arm angle, any release, any platform.
Speaker 5: Aaron Rodgers put the ball where he.
Speaker 15: Wanted to put it, like he did that for the mother part of his career, and he struggled to do that last year.
Speaker 1: You can see in that video from practice today he still has that arm twitch. He can still get the ball out. Can he stay healthy, Can he make it happen over a full season? That's the big question. Baldi, Thank you, Mike, don't move. We got to talk about c J. Stroud, who's got his arm working once again. He can turn off those panic buttons. We'll explain after this on The Insiders. Get more of the NFL with NFL Plus. Stay connected throughout the offseason with twenty four to seven football news and coverage on network and with NFL Plus Premium. Relive your favorite moments from the twenty twenty four season with game replace and access to NFL player stats with NFL Pro. Subscribe today at plus dot NFL dot com. Terms and conditions apply. Many camps rolling on for twenty five teams this week around the NFL, including the Texans. We've got to see CJ. Stroud back on the field. Whether it was a shoulder, a peck, general body soreness, CJ. Stroud says the issues that kept them out the past couple of weeks no big deal, folks.
Speaker 16: I was already throwing you know before you guys see me out there pretty normally. I just I think y'all don't have much to talk about. So y'all just everything is blown up in off season. So I'm fine, man, I'm really okay. The goal was just to be bigger, faster, stronger like every off season, but be more intentional about it. So have more fluty in my hits, lose a couple pounds, run faster, and I got all those done.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Insiders, Tom Pella Sero, joined once again by Omar Rouiz Okay. Omar, So we know CJ. Stroud from a health perspective. According to him, he's going to be just fine as we head into the break prior to training camp here. But I thought it was interesting hearing him talking about maybe trying to change his body just a little bit. As the Texans try to get over that hump from being a team that's in the playoffs and winning a playoff game to getting where they really want to go.
Speaker 12: Yeah, Tom, Bigger, faster, stronger. The goals that CJ. Stroud set out for himself this offseason, and he said he hit prs in most every category that he was shooting for personal records, so he accomplished those goals. In the video beforehand, he saw that incredible catch by Jaden Higgins forming chemistry with some of his new weapons. Christian Kirk has been a presence there this offseason, so CJ. Strouden company obviously, like you alluded to, they've won playoff games each of the last couple seasons, but looking to take that next step and obviously holding him out from throwing during OTA's as Demiko Ryan's described, was just precaution, trying to do what's best for CJ. Stroud and the entire football team. But Stroud saying that he's going to be throwing this summer with his guys in LA and trying to continue to build the camaraderie and leadership. He was also asked what he's looking forward to most about playing in new offensive coordinator Nick Cayley's system, and he said the fact that he's going to be working with Kaylee. He said, it's the chemistry and camaraderie they're forming, not necessarily the x'es and o's, is what really can take this team to an ascending level. The other news out of Houston this week they signed Nick Chubb. He was in the building participating in mini camp.
Speaker 1: CJ.
Speaker 12: Stroud saying he didn't even recognize Chubb because he is so unassuming and quiet, but Dimigo Ryan said, they're just learning Nick Chubb, how he functions, how this team functions, getting him on the same page in that regard, so when training camp rolls around, they can unleash him. Ryan saying that, of course, when Nick Chubb is healthy, when he is fully rocking and rolling, one of the most dynamic players in the NFL, They're hoping to get him up to speed, and Ryan's being a former player in the NFL, appreciates just how hard it is to come back from an injury the way Nick Chubb did, both at the knee and then obviously the foot last year. So if they can get him right there in the twenty five season, an incredible added dimension to that running game with Joe Mixon another weaponry around.
Speaker 5: C J.
Speaker 12: Stroud. As you mentioned, Tom, this team trying to get over that hump and beyond the divisional route of the playoffs.
Speaker 1: This season, second straight season that Detexans pick up a running back with a lot of success in the AFC. Northan was available for not too much. They can only hope this works out as well as Joe Mixon a year ago. Omar, thank you very much. Coming up on the Insiders, Xavier Worthy might have to watch out for his forty yard dash record. We'll explain what we mean right after this on the inside. The Eagles announced today the chairman and CEO Jeffrey Lourie and his family will make a fifty million dollar donation to Children's Hospital in Philadelphia and pen Medicine to create the Loriy Autism Institute. Laurie says the institute's goal will be to spark a new era of scientific discovery in autism spectrum disorder. Great work by the Loriy family across the state. Aaron Rodgers is officially a Pittsburgh Steeler and Mike Garritfolo has decided to, I'm told, try his hand at taking down Xavier Worthies four point two one record in the forty our dash Is that right, Mike?
Speaker 2: We had I knew you were going to show to stumble.
Speaker 1: You had.
Speaker 2: We had a free block while you were doing the last segment. So we said, I what Cody and I, my producer, were talking about. I said, we got to time the forty. I gotta get a time forty. So was this one here with six two? I try to get you two to run at the combine? You chicken bleeps won't do it. I gotta beat Desmond Watson four hundred and sixty four pounds at five ninety three. I gotta get Cleeton. I'm coming for you, Desmond.
Speaker 1: We're out of time. See you tomorrow. Yeah,