Speaker 1: Broadcasting live from the Abraham Lincoln Radio Studio, the George Washington Broadcast Center.
Speaker 2: Jack Armstrong and Joe Getty, I'm strong and and he Armstrong and Getty.
Speaker 3: I heard that they were that someone started a flying a plane with a banner that said, uh, this is Trump Country.
Speaker 2: It sure don't look like it today. That's a funny think this is Trump country. I think this is our country.
Speaker 1: Is that a sweetheart? Let's hold an election and find out, you know, is that lefty?
Speaker 4: Jeez?
Speaker 2: Is that AOC?
Speaker 5: Yeah, that didn't sound like getting all earthy. So Bernard Sanders and AOC. They showed up in fulsome California. They're doing what Trump did to great effect when he was running for president. He'd go to you know, lefty places, someplace in New York or wherever, college town, someplace whereas all lefties and draw you know, his people, and got a lot of attention and everything like that. I mean, it's it's not complicated. We've been saying this for years. So we've been on in San Francisco for twenty two years now, and people would always say, how do people accept you in San Francisco. Well, it's not difficult. I mean because you've created enthusiasm. Because places aren't all one hundred percent one direction or the other. They tend to be even if a place is overwhelmingly one direction politics or not, it's like seventy thirty. And if you I mean, and that's like really overwhelming, it might be seventy thirty. And if you got seven million people, for instance, I mean, you have a lot of people, a lot of people that.
Speaker 2: Are on the other side.
Speaker 1: As I always say, if it's fifty five forty five, you will never win an election. If you're in the forty five percent, you are unrepresented, your voices are unheard, you're cowed into silence in really blue places like you know, the blue parts of California. And so yeah, if a Trump comes to town, if an Armstrong you GETTI are trying to represent your point of view at least, you know, some extent.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing.
Speaker 1: So yeah, as strategies go, it's pretty clever. It's just that it's being executed by AOC and Bernie goodness sakes, if Josh Shapiro was doing this, I'd be thinking, oh boy, this is interesting.
Speaker 2: Bernie gets And I don't know how much of that is AOC.
Speaker 5: What there was somebody, some political person wrote a thing in the New York Post that said AOC needs to be taken seriously as a presidential candidate. And I don't know, but I don't know how many people are there for her because Bernie has drawn those kind of enthusiastic crowds. The only people I've ever seen in my life that have drawn those kind of crowds are Trump, Obama and Bernie.
Speaker 2: That level of enthusiasm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, And it's funny the lineup, the concert lineup of Bernie and AOC.
Speaker 2: It works.
Speaker 1: It's like when John Mayer joined The Grateful Dead. At first, it's like wait what but no, No, they're musically similar enough a You and Seve and Bernie. Anyway, you want to hear a little more of what they said to the good people of Folesome, California, which, if you don't know, fulsome in the surrounding areas, it's a good, solid conservative area.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, Michael, you miss the Trump.
Speaker 6: If we don't want sha Oligauking.
Speaker 4: Misster Trump, too many men and women have fought and died to defend democracy. You're not going to take us into authoritarianism.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, mister musk.
Speaker 7: We're going to create an economy that works.
Speaker 2: Us, not just for you.
Speaker 1: Putting aside the lovely populist rhetoric, the idea that we're going to create an economy is heresy to me anyway. No, you're not never creating anything in your life, you nutbag socialist.
Speaker 2: Crowds digging it roll on, Michael.
Speaker 3: Kevin Kylie knows that this is not what you want.
Speaker 2: He knows that it is deeply unpopular. He knows that it hurts the people of fulsome. But he is not there to serve working families.
Speaker 3: He is there to serve himself and the billionaire class that put him there.
Speaker 1: Kevin Kyley, the very smart, youngish conservative congressperson from that district. If I could buy stocking politicians, I'd buy.
Speaker 2: It in Kevin. I think he's really really sharp.
Speaker 1: So yeah, they call him out repeatedly, Barney joining the slugfest.
Speaker 7: But missus Kylie, I think some.
Speaker 4: Of your constituents have a message for you.
Speaker 7: Wow, don't vote to give tax breaks to billion ass and cut programs that the working class of this country desperately needs.
Speaker 2: That's that's an enthusiastic crowd.
Speaker 5: I don't know what percentage of people in America buy into that. That's a bunch of horsees. Oh, social mad nonsense, but it's.
Speaker 2: Popular on the whole.
Speaker 5: The reason you're not making as much money as you feel like you should be is because the billionaires is just as nonsensical as anything could be.
Speaker 1: Or, as we've gone over several times this week, the idea that they're not paying the rich or not paying their fair shares one percent of Americans pay is what forty six percent of all income tax.
Speaker 5: So do we have the montage that we played last week? We have the montage Bernie. I'll tell you what years these are as it goes, here we go. This is Bernie claiming oligarchy. For the last thirty two years.
Speaker 8: This great country of ours is moving very rapidly in the direction of oligaky. The United States today is increasingly becoming an oligacky moving todd in oligaky. We are moving in the direct thousand. We will move even more rapidly the direction of an oligacky.
Speaker 2: This great twenty fourteen is evolving into an oligatic. I'm be damned, so twenty fifteen here we go. It is called oligaky, and that.
Speaker 8: Is the system, the rapidly moving todd very rapidly country, rapidly into the direction of oligoy.
Speaker 2: Eight handful of billion a s a'll move this h a planet? Did nobody saw it coming?
Speaker 6: And oligarchy siding thought over the bed, which is pretty bad. And that is that under Donald Trump, this country is hurtling rapidly toward oligon.
Speaker 2: Oh geez, why didn't somebody tell me? So?
Speaker 1: It was just fairly recently it was the entire planet is moving toward oligarchy. Maybe you realize that, you know, people aren't applaud in his greatest hit anymore, so we had to, you know, change the rift.
Speaker 5: So as early as ninety three and as recently as what two days ago in fullsome California, he's talking about how we become an.
Speaker 2: Oligarchy, and Jack I analyzed those clips.
Speaker 1: I would say there were hints of gurgliness in nineteen ninety five, but his gurgliness really became solidified in twenty twelve.
Speaker 5: So he really became the Flemish master in the round twenty twelve.
Speaker 1: You're right, it sounds like he's gurgling with his own hipocras. Jeez, gurgle I don't remember what I used to do my Bernie Sanders imitation.
Speaker 2: That was years ago, wasn't it when he was running against Hillery Master answer.
Speaker 5: One more, one more comment on this, because I I've got to discipline myself to not talk about twenty twenty eight presidential elections.
Speaker 2: Will help you discipline.
Speaker 5: But you know, Bernie should have gotten the nomination a couple of times. It was taken from him by the Democratic Party. I mean, if they were going to follow the rules, he would have gotten the nomination twice. And Elizabeth Warren's popular, AOC's popular. I feel like the Democratic I would love this, of course. I think feel like the Democratic Party's got to go through one of these people, actually nominate them, lose forty seven states to.
Speaker 2: Put that to rest, so they all like go to the direction.
Speaker 5: James Carville keeps saying, we got to become more moderate Democrats. That's what we are, that's what the party that can win. But I feel like they gotta do it. They got to give it a full try once, like actually have the candidate. So go ahead and run AOC or Bernie, get it out of your system. Lose almost the entire country. Good because you will and then you'll be done with it. You know who I nominate for that pinata? Gavin Newsom. I think he's the progressive just I don't think he's gonna run on that stuff. I don't think he's gonna run on that stuff. He's gonna try not to, but he can't. It's it's like the stench after you leave a bar or smoke. He's never hiboted. He'll never he won't run that stuff out and proud like AOC and Bernie, and he'll never have crowds like that. Ever, they'll never be cheering for Gavin Newsom like that. I don't think i'd be sure there.
Speaker 2: And now we're really slicing political analysis.
Speaker 1: Then does it matter if he's out and proud about it, Oiley, if that's his entire record and everybody knows he's running on that, even if he denies it.
Speaker 2: I think so.
Speaker 5: The people that get these giant crowds like AOC and Bernie and Elizabeth Warren, they just flat outstate their socialism and the crowd goes nut. Yeah, I see, just because there's enough people that believe that, I think they.
Speaker 2: Just need to. It'd be good for the whole country.
Speaker 5: Try it once realize that there's only like ten percent of the country that agrees with you, even though you can pack a football stadium right, then be done with it. Let's all move on with our lives and realize there earn enough people that want to be socialists, you nut jobs.
Speaker 1: In spite of you educating the children to believe that that's, you know, the right thing to do for generations.
Speaker 2: That troubles me as you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, big updates from Israel in their battle against Islamist lunatics coming up.
Speaker 2: Uh cool.
Speaker 5: There's another thing I wanted to get to. I want to tease this. I really want to tease this. Give me one second. No one's holding you back. By God in this country, you have the right to say what you like. Teen boys are going to extreme lengths to be skinny, like Timothy Shallowy.
Speaker 2: It's a thing that's caught.
Speaker 5: On noodle boys and I have seen it, I think, and for real, I don't think this is made up.
Speaker 2: I hope sheesin Ping isn't listening that other things all the ways day here.
Speaker 9: Farmtro Andy organizers now say the event, known as Fire Festival Too, has been postponed indefinitely. The event had been scheduled to take place in Mexico at the end of May, just six weeks from now. Ticket Holders have been told their money will be refunded. Organizer Billy McFarlane was convicted of wire fraud when the original Fire Festival failed in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 5: I'm so confused by this story. So he pulled off a fraud.
Speaker 2: Wow? Bad failed to pull it off? Yeah, well with.
Speaker 5: A fake with a concert that never happened, and got a bunch of money. And then he does it again, and you buy tickets again, and then he cancels it again.
Speaker 1: As I said when Katie brought us the news that he had announced a new fire festival, Dude, you got to change up the scammel little bit.
Speaker 2: You can't run the same scam. You were in the news. Were people buying tickets? Apparently they were, Yeah.
Speaker 10: People were buying This thing was supposed to start on May thirtieth, and people bought tickets. And a couple of weeks ago there was a news report that I forget what island they were going to throw it on, but the government of that island said, we have heard nothing about this.
Speaker 2: Oh wow. So it was a.
Speaker 10: Yeah, And so now they're saying that they're just trying to find a new location and they'll be re announcing the host destination soon.
Speaker 1: But yeah, got a new location that will have our completely fictional festival that will not happen.
Speaker 5: I can't tell if I'm like, think he's an idiot, or if I think he realizes how stupid some people are.
Speaker 2: I'm going to do exactly the same thing I did last time.
Speaker 5: I'm going to talk about a concert that I made no effort to actually pull off and have people sent me money this.
Speaker 10: We have issued you a refund once the new date is announced. At that time, you can repurchase your tickets if available.
Speaker 1: If you do that, God to help you. Yeah wow, Yeah, no kidding, We're done trying. You are a fool. That is your money. You will soon be part. I have this on good authority.
Speaker 5: So I came across this, and I am not gonna people I know. I'll just say that people I know seem to be into this. Teen boys are going to extreme links to be skinny like Timothy's shallow may.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: I mentioned a couple of weeks ago Timmothy Chalomey when the oscars were hot, and he's in the Bob Dylan movie and he was hosted Saturday Night Live. He's very skinny guy, and that he was being held up as some sort of sex symbol by a certain kind of woman. I don't know women who I don't think who who dig noodle boys. Adolescent girls probably mostly right. Maybe it's more popular than I because I know some high schoolers who are who are noodle boys. I was a noodle boy, by the way, not on purpose. In high school. I was as skinny as Timothy shallow May. It was not popular at that time that look. But apparently it is more a pot roast boy myself baked potato boy. But noodle boy seems to be popular now. And I know high schoolers that you can't get them to eat a dessert or anything fattening because it's so important to stay super skinny. And that's one of the things that talks about here. Red flags for this one family were eighth grader would turn down ice cream favorite desserts. That's not normal thing high school boys do is turned down desserts and stuff like that. But it's become very popular to try to stay you're like really skinny.
Speaker 2: Arms is the thing. I guess I don't know, oh, fellas, it's because they're it's because.
Speaker 5: According to this article, and I hope this isn't true, but it might be women like it because they're so non threatening.
Speaker 1: Well that's why it's like, you know, in the seventies, it was your Sean Cassidy types. It was, you know, completely nonsense, threatening point boyish men. You're kind of easing into the idea of sexuality.
Speaker 5: I think you're right. That has been a thing. Yeah, okay, so it's not brand it's not brand new, yes, Katie.
Speaker 10: Someone needs to let these little guys know that their metabolism will never be like it is right now.
Speaker 2: And the desserts.
Speaker 10: And you're gonna look at that ice cream and gain three pounds, so just eat it now, beat you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so alert listener Fred sent this long. You know, I really want to get into the story toxic beauty, the rise of looks maxing influencers among young men. It's guys doing just bizarro stupid stuff to try to have the chiseled features and symmetrical face that they desire.
Speaker 2: It's odd.
Speaker 1: It's one more example of why the Internet ought to be unplugged. But this song is from nineteen twenty six dig the sounds of the six jumping jacks, both.
Speaker 5: Maculine women and feminine men.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: So this has always been a thing to some extent, more or less, I remember the Androgyna's rock stars of the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 5: It's maybe it's just always been a thing. Every generation thinks young men today are too feminine.
Speaker 2: I'll be darned Manold Armstrong and Geeddy.
Speaker 11: At Chicago last night, former President Biden gave his first speech since leaving office. As a result, millions of Americans now believe in life after death. He was speaking to a group of advocates for the disabled, who were surprised to learn the keynote speaker was one of their clients.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow, So.
Speaker 1: I have been asserting for a very long time now, at least a few months. Then, in virtually all of human history, there has never been a case where one country launched an unprovoked attack, or one people launched an unprovoked attack on a neighbor and lost that. They did not lose their land or their sovereignty or both. That's just always what happens. It has to be what happens. Anyway, we're talking about hamas slash well, Islamic Islamists, Islamic supremacists, hamas has law, et cetera, under the tutelage of Iran trying to take out Israel in the October seventh atrocities.
Speaker 2: So a handful of stories.
Speaker 1: And these were not chosen to back up my assertion that that's the way this is moving. It's just it's I think it's an inescapable conclusion that Israel has decided no two state, no living side by side. That's over, Goodbye, We're done. Handful of headlines Lebanon's government arrests militants, asserting its authority. Lebanon, which has been in the weird position, picture this if you can, one of their major political parties has a powerful army supported by a foreign country. It's like, if you know the Green Party had one hundred thousand men under arms being paid for by I don't know, Venezuela. That's been the situation in Lebanon with Hesbola. But because of the serious damage done to Hesbela by Israel, with a little bit of help from their big buddy in the United States, all of a sudden, Lebanon is reasserting its authority over its own nameation and making progress anyway, who could forget the delightful Pager attack for instance. Yeah, so more directly to Israel, this is you know, it's funny we have I think, like one listener who's militantly pro Palestinian and sent an email yesterday completely denying the notion that Hamas positions fighters among civilians schools and hospitals and that.
Speaker 2: Sort of thing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I heard a report on NPR, as I do practically every day, about some attack Israel had and how many innocent Palestinians were killed, as.
Speaker 2: I said last morning to Hamas.
Speaker 5: According to Homos, I've yet to hear one negative story about Hamas on NPR ever, one ever.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, well, they are so captured by the whole settler, colonialist, victim of presser framework of the world. They can't see anything but that. And you know, for the millionth time, that's what I'm really concerned about with our nation's education system. We're teaching all our kids to view the world that way, and it's twisted and just it's wrong. But anyway, the head of nursing at Gaza's NASA Hospital came out the other day and publicly urged Palestinian Islamic Jihad and other groups to quit using the medical facility as a military center, base, meeting place, et cetera.
Speaker 2: For the obvious reasons.
Speaker 1: Israel's bringing down the bombs on your fighters because your fighters are in the hospital and it's screwing up our hospital.
Speaker 2: Well for that outrage, the uh where is this?
Speaker 1: Palestinian Islamic Jihad sent him a little note. He found a type message waiting in his office, a blunt warning that read, dear one, you've crossed the line. Be careful. This is your first warning. Soccer the gentleman involved. The nursing director described the threat as brutal, adding a call on you in the name of God not to forgive them. This is the brave, brave fighters that NPR is praising all the time. You know, there are a lot of people in Gaza in the West Bank who sympathize a great deal with the Islamic supremacists.
Speaker 2: They're a pretty good handful that don't.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we saw it on October seventh when they are driving through the streets with captured nineteen year old girls they'd raped and beaten and some of them were shot, and they're just cheering like crazy and beating them on the head with sticks as they drove by. It your average a lot of your average Palestinians on the.
Speaker 1: Street, right, Yeah, worth remembering. But for those who are demonstrating against Tamas, for instance, or this head of nursing who said get the hell out of the hospital, boy, those are courageous folks. One more headline, a depleted hamasis so low on cash it can't pay its fighters. Israel's targeted killings. AID cuts have disrupted the militant group's source of cash and ability to distribute it in Gaza. And there are a couple of details of the story that you know, NPR is a joke, but it's funny. Your point just keeps coming up as they go through this stuff. Israel last month cut off supplies of humanitarian goods to the enclave, some of which Amas had been seizing and selling to raise funds, according to Arab sources, Israeli sources, and Western sources. Of course, our job listener would deny that. I'm sure too. It doesn't matter. It's just interesting to me how some people can claim to things that are clearly untrue. It's renewed, defensive, is targeted and killed HAMAS officials who played important roles in distributing cash to cadres and send others into hiding. In recent weeks, the Israeli militaries said have killed a money changer who was key to what they call terrorist financing for HAMAS, as well as a number of top political off officials in rapid succession. The result for Hamas has been a debilitating squeeze.
Speaker 2: They've just made it so.
Speaker 1: Difficult logistically to pay the fighters that they can't and so your top guys are getting half wages, and they're trying to get the wages to the front line guys who are fighting and dying. But it's very difficult. And finally, this is really the head story, but I saved it for last. Israel has taken over about a third of the Gaza Strip and has positioned itself in a way that makes clear their staying. No country has launched an unprovoked attack against its neighbor and lost, and not lost its land or its sovereignty or both.
Speaker 2: Seems to me increasingly clear. Israel's going to own it all.
Speaker 5: And where the Palestinians going somewhere or they can stay and follow the rules as Israel has always made it clear Israel has Muslim, Palestinian, Arab whatever you want to call them, citizens, lots of them.
Speaker 2: They're represented in their government. Just follow the rules.
Speaker 1: Don't be an Islamic lunatic trying to wipe us off the map.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be rough, though, It's gonna be all kinds of suicide bombers and.
Speaker 2: Guerrilla warfare for the rest of our lives. Correct, Yeah, which has been all of our lives? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, the fantasy of the two state solution, I mean, fool me five times, Shame on me.
Speaker 2: That's Israel's point of view right now, most of it. Now you'll see a lot.
Speaker 1: Of coverage of the left wing in Israel, or the poor families desperate to get their family members back who are being held brutally as hostages. I get them saying, no, we have to have peace. Now, we've got to get the hostages back.
Speaker 2: I get that. I sympathize. It's not gonna happen.
Speaker 5: That guy that tried to kill Governor Shapiro in Pennsylvania and burn down the governor's mansion, his cause was the Palestinians.
Speaker 2: It turns out a nine to one one call.
Speaker 5: He he actually called in after he set the fire, and he was all upset about Shapiros being.
Speaker 2: On the side of Israel. So that's what the issue was in his crazy mind.
Speaker 1: You know, that's a fairly direct link between radical left rhetoric and a violent attack. I mean, granit, I think this guy's real agenda was my dog is talking to me, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: So I listened to you mentioned settler colonialism, which I just kind of had a basic view of until I listened to a long podcast yesterday. Jonah Goldberg at The Dispatch had a guy on who's written a book about it, short, a short book just to try to inform people about the whole settler colonialism thing. And it is something we should all be aware of because it's a lot of what your college kids are learning, and its nutjob stuff. It's where that comes from, the whole thing where you walk into a room and say, before we start the meeting, I'd just like to say, this building was built on the land owned by the Chippewa Indians.
Speaker 2: All that's stuff.
Speaker 5: It comes from the whole center colonialism thing, and it's it's it's a degree worse than the whole anti racist thing. You know, the whole anti racist thing was set up to where you just couldn't win. There's no winning that game, right, it's trap. If you say you're a racist, cool, now we control you. If you say you're not a racist, ah, that's proof you're even a worse racist.
Speaker 2: So it's just control you. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And so the settler colonial thing is unless you're the indigenous people. And I still don't understand how you decide what year you get to choose for the indigenous people. But because you know, every every piece of land on Earth has changed hands a gazillion times, so who do you choose as the originals? But anyway, in the United States it's easier than it would be in Europe, for instance. So unless you're a Native American, you are part of the whole settler colonial thing, and you are benefiting from that, so we get to do whatever we want. You're you're bad from the from the from the from the get go, you're benefit fitting from settler colonialism. And so everything should be turned upside down and redistributed or text or whatever it is to try to get the outcome we believe we should get.
Speaker 2: Well, to tear it down and rebuild it as a Marxist utopia. Yeah.
Speaker 5: And one of the reasons, and the most interesting thing I thought about this with the book was the guy said, that's why there's so much focus on Israel because it's a new enough country, it's a small enough country you could actually like, even though it's crazy, accomplish your goals.
Speaker 2: You can't with the United States.
Speaker 5: It's too big, complicated, people coming too many times over years, too long ago. Obviously, in Europe it doesn't work because you'd have to go back a thousand years to figure out who's But in Israel you can actually pull it off kind of. So that's why they put so much focus on the whole settler colonialism thing there. And that's all the people that are the queers for Palestine or whatever, and you wonder, what the hell are you talking about. It's the whole settler colonial things that's their focus.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And that's you know, we've been saying this for years and years before this sort of before the terminology was known. It was some of your Larraza, your Hispanic activists, were saying, we didn't cross the border. The border crossed us. This is actually our land. And we've been making the point for a very long time. That okay, all right, So you're like the descendants of the Spanish conquista doors in what sense? Or you the one righteous owners? So what do you date it to? Nineteen twenty, eighteen fifty, seventeen forty three, whatever. But the arbitrariness of it, it's like the whole anti racism thing, that's not the Yes, it's arbitrary, Yes it's stupid, Yes it's illogical, But the point is you're bad and we can disempower you because bad people shouldn't have power, and then we get power and we rebuild it as Marxist utopia.
Speaker 2: That's how it all ends.
Speaker 5: It's so clearly doesn't make sense. I'm surprised it doesn't get stopped in its tracks. I mean, your example's perfect. With Mexico, the Spanish came in early fifteen hundreds. Well prior to that, it was Mayans and Aztecs or whoever. They got overthrown by the Spanish. So when do you when do you start the clock on who this land belongs to? But you've decided to go with people who speak Spanish, I guess, well, then you point it up. You pointed out Europe. Can you imagine trying to establish it in Europe. For like the Alsace Lorraine, the part of France has traded hands the French, the Vikings, the totals.
Speaker 2: Started about the Visigoths.
Speaker 5: I mean where, Yeah, where the hell would you start? Well, even the United States, you go back to Native Americans. You don't have to read a hell of a lot about Native Americans to know about apaches and chy ends and taking different land.
Speaker 2: And you had this junk for a while. So who are you going to give it to? It's horrifically violent wars. Yeah, it's such.
Speaker 5: A nutjob ideology, but a lot of college kids believe in it. Well, yeah, you can convince children of about anything, and then they convinced them that this is righteous, even though it's idiotic. Apparently, any comment on any of that stuff are text line four one five two nine five kftc.
Speaker 2: Armstrong.
Speaker 9: A chaotic scene at a shopping mall in West Hartford, Connecticut. A bear spotted charger through the parking lot at a full sprint, some shoppers rushing inside, a wildlife officer chasing the bear into the nearby woods. They believe the bear came out of hibernation and was looking for.
Speaker 1: Food and some bargains there at the mall. I saw that video. A, it's a good sized bear. B it is charging hard. I mean you would, you would fill your pants right.
Speaker 5: It's just I don't know what I think of these news stories that they put in, Like toward the end of the evening newscasts, I'm doing.
Speaker 2: Of the only reason I watched these days?
Speaker 1: Am I going to watch that pinhead David Muir's analysis of the politics of the day.
Speaker 5: He's one of Time's most most influential people. What's time, Grandpa? But do we get anything out of a story like a bear got loose and ran through them all? I mean those kinds of stories and you could. I am staunchly in favor of it. I just feel I had a video of a giant squid.
Speaker 2: The other day. I enjoyed that.
Speaker 5: I feel like I would just rather the news was ten minutes shorter and it would be over. I'll go on with my wife, Why are you anti bear video?
Speaker 2: He was exciting?
Speaker 1: There you go, another mild video, mildly entertaining.
Speaker 2: I'll be darned. I I just I don't understand.
Speaker 10: I feel like the news does that because they just beat the crap out of you with everything that's actually going on in the world.
Speaker 2: So they give you a little, a little charging bear. You sound like Bernie right now. We can't have these stories. Maybe why so many charging paths.
Speaker 5: Maybe I've lost the capacity for joy. Maybe that's happened. I could be you hate to have that happen. But so we've talked a lot about AI in particular, quoting and number of people who say it's going to be as big to mankind as fire. That's the guy who runs Google, Others who said it's going to be much bigger impact on humanity than the Internet. I mean, if you're old enough to remember pre Internet, holy crap. I mean, so what does that mean? But nobody exactly knows how it's going to play out. In this article in the Washington Post today, I thought was really really interesting one of the problems. And they don't know how they can fix us, and I don't think you can. The language learning models, the LMS, they what they do is they scour the Internet for information, well, the Russians in particular, and soon everyone have figured out, well, we'll just put a whole bunch of wrong information on the Internet, and the lllms. When they're sucking up all the information, they'll get all the stuff that's wrong that we want to put out there, and the AI can't tell the difference between apparently a New York Times article or a you know, New York Daily News article, and that's an actual newspaper. I need to make up a newspaper, but make up a newspaper that's an article that says positive stuff about Russia, and AI can't tell the difference.
Speaker 2: They just suck it all in.
Speaker 5: Earlier this year, when researchers asked ten leading chatbots about topics targeted by false Russian messaging, such as the claim that the United States was making bioweapons in Ukraine, a third of the responses repeated those lies because Moscow has put them out there and done such a good job, and nobody knows how they're going to fix this. Most chat bots struggle with disinformation. We have safeguards in place, but the problem seems to get worse and worse as opposed to better and better, the more language learning models learned to use the Internet. This might be an unfixable problem. This is so interesting.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine pouring the amount of money and effort into AI that's been poured in, and then you run into an insurmountable problem like this, although I don't think it's necessarily insurmountable. I think you could design some sort of algorithm for reliability and have a tiered system of inputs.
Speaker 5: Experts, according to the Washington Posts, say the problem is worsening as opposed to getting better. You combine that with hallucinations that they don't know where they come from or why, or if they can be eliminated. And can will AI be as big as some people claim? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I still say yes, but I'm interested to find out along with the rest of you.
Speaker 5: Maybe only in some areas and not in all areas. Like obviously we've seen with art and music what it can do, and it's amazing.
Speaker 1: Great hour coming up if you can't stick around, grab it via podcast Armstrong and Getty on demand Armstrong and Getty