Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises. SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies.
Speaker 1: These episodes are based on. These are our stories, Dune Done.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome to That's Messed Up an SVU podcast. My name is Lisa Traeger, my name is Kara Klank, And you guys know what we do here.
Speaker 1: We talk SVU. We talked the true crime that was based on and then we interview some awesome person that was involved with the episode.
Speaker 2: And yeah, today's now lots some exciting things. Yeah, we gotta jump in immediately. Kara is live from Palm Springs. Are you wearing a purple shirt? No, it's an Avy, it's ivy. But I do have to bring up like I you know, when people say I'm shook, I've never been shook until uh oh I saw the All Winners drag race. Okay, I amok. I like, wow, you know, because we've been hating on this season. Oh it's too long, send these bitches home. And now when I saw that, I truly was like, I told you that it was gonna be All Winners though, didn't I Oh, I knew it. I'm on the outside. I've talked to multiple people about it. I know people who have judged on it. People broke all of their NDAs. Yeah, forgot about it, saw the line, saw that photo and lost it. Yeah, those are superstars. There's not a stinker in the bunch.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: My friend this morning goes, yeah, tell me who some of the queens are before the announcement, and I go, wow, somebody told it to me months ago, and I would have thought I know it by heart, but I was like, I think it's so and so and so, Like I couldn't remember, and I haven't even seen the photo.
Speaker 2: I oh, And I watched the pit stop this week of Drag Race, and Bob the Drag Queen said, there's more twists than oddly in this season.
Speaker 1: There's more twists than than oddly. That's Bob is like a Legit could be like one of the most famous stand up.
Speaker 2: Comedians in the world. If you mean he's selling out, he's selling out. Yes, Yeah, I was him and Monett together. So that was a glorious episode. House Palm Springs.
Speaker 1: It's good so far. It's a little cooler than I'd like. I guess there's kind of a cold snap everywhere, because we did leave Portland in the middle of a snowstorm. But yeah, it's supposed to warm up this afternoon, so I'm excited to hop into the pool. But yeah, it's good. All right, Well that's fantastic. I know, I have nothing to report. It's like, you know, Rosie keeps wanting to go into the hot pool as she's calling it the hot tub, and we're having at we're having a good time. It's nice to just like relax. We had a run of amazing shows. Thank you everybody who came out in Seattle and Portland, you know, except for people that got kicked out, but the rest of you, thank you so much for coming out. And yeah, it was just so nice to meet everybody and perform. And I had a.
Speaker 2: Blast the Aladdin. Yeah, you guys are really cool and you laugh at what we say. So that's what that's all I really true need. And so many nice gifts, so many nice give top of it, these oh my god, bopfle gifts.
Speaker 1: You guys are psycho. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 2: I just love the attention to detail about our spirits. There are some things that I looked at and I was like, oh my god, like, this is touching, touching, and we got a pink scented resume, so.
Speaker 1: General thrilling, amazing. He handed us his resume and fled and we were like, and he goes, they're scented, and then fled into the night and it was amazing.
Speaker 2: But I cannot be drinking this. And please do not buy me warm vodka shots. That's never a positive.
Speaker 4: Do not.
Speaker 1: I will not, Puque will not take it. A lot of twins, a lot of cross the state travels. It was very thrilling. But it's really really so sweet to hear about people getting in their car for multiple hours to come see us. So we appreciate you guys, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: And I had some of the best meals of my life, I would say in Portland. Oh my gosh, both dinner and then I went to breakfast the next day and had one of the best breakfasts I've ever had.
Speaker 1: Back to back.
Speaker 2: I had to believe Portland really crushed it for me and food and people, yes, food and people, not weather per se.
Speaker 1: Did you you got out okay? Even though it was like monsoon, It wasn't. You're a wild you grew up on the East Coast. That was not a snowstorm, that was not a monsoon, that was not blurry so City airport.
Speaker 2: It was coming down because we were a larning when you go to the airport. Sure, but we walked outside not even an hour later, and there was no snow left on the ground.
Speaker 1: Oh it was. It was on the ground when I left.
Speaker 2: You're like the snowstorm monsoon. No, no, I left. You're telling me you walked out at eight thirty. You walked out of your hotel at eight thirty. Oh no, no, no, yeah, I thought you left later. No, we left it like tend to eat breakfast or nine thirty. There was there a lot of snow on the ground. It was we did because then we had more lounge time. And then I also, you should check your credit card. But it was twenty five dollars to stay till two pm. And I paid it. Okay, got get get good. How did you already see it? They sent me a bill. Oh great, okay, I'm glad you're on top of it. So it was twenty five dollars for an extra three hours. I think is totally worth it, totally worth it. I thought they were going to say fifty two one hundred twenty five dollars to me to lay.
Speaker 1: In a bed is like nice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, especially since I've become an anti masker and I don't want to be. I just don't want to be at the airport in a mask like it.
Speaker 1: Really, I was like, by the time you get home, with all the flying, you just want to like rip that mask off. But also huge news.
Speaker 2: I do have new mailboxes and it is really like exciting. I like these, It's kind of it's thrilling. I love the idea of opening a mailbox.
Speaker 1: You heard it here. First Lisa's feud with the post office will be over now that she's got a new mailbox. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I saw Queen pins so good watch Queen Pih everybody. It's on Hulu. I don't know why it wasn't a giant hit. It is awesome. I started it on my flight and I really loved it.
Speaker 1: No, so my flight didn't have my flight down up to Seattle didn't have TVs or whatever, or no, wait it did it. I don't know. Something didn't have TVs. And so I was like, I'm going to watch on my phone and what the Delta offers. And I saw Queen Pins and I started watching it and then it froze like ten minutes in. But it looked great. It is.
Speaker 2: It's based on a true crime, but it's about couponing, so it's like true crime light and so funny, great characters, suspect.
Speaker 1: I like loved it. It was really cool. I like rat at the very beginning that the best friend hates the husband and that they just like openly insult each other. I thought that was fun. That was fun.
Speaker 2: Oh you didn't get more, there's not you know, but everyone should watch that.
Speaker 1: That was very thrilling.
Speaker 2: I am sitting around so I have someone staying in my apartment, the open suitcases there. I'm going to a wedding. I'm going to New York. I wonder what the vibe will be and I and we'll see what happens. But my goal is I'm not overpacking. I'm not overpacking. I want to live a different life.
Speaker 1: I have to do different things, and I refuse to overpack pack. Maybe buy a couple of things, I refuse.
Speaker 2: I bought a dress for the wedding, A stually think goodness, okay, this is more like a phone conversation. What my bad? But I I got an amazing dress in our neighborhood, and I'm very I was I was panicking.
Speaker 1: Oh. Also, remember how like one of our last episodes, I couldn't I couldn't understand what Olivia was saying when she said like Nick Mick or something like that. So she was saying nickmic which is the National Center for Exploited and Missing Children. And thank you to the dozens of listeners who have let me know.
Speaker 2: Oh amazing, that's good because I saw those comments and I was like, what is this about?
Speaker 1: But thank you for explaining it to me. I was like Nick Mick. I listened, I rewound it seven times. I just couldn't under I and then I literally typed in Nick Mick, and of course nothing comes up. But yes, no, you guys know a lot like I was talking to someone.
Speaker 2: They're like, well, we know you've never worked retail, and I'm like, okay, well that's wild, but we talk about it. We just talk so much. Yeah, it's all out here on that's messed up. But I'm gonna have a lot of free time. I'm excited.
Speaker 1: I'm doing Molly at this wedding and I can't fucking wait. Oh my gosh, I can't wait for you to report back. Next week's intro is gonna be lit, I hope.
Speaker 2: So you know it's hard, you know, you know, yeah, I think it's gonna be great. Oh yeah, I just grabbed my phone ont Lisa's like, put your phones away, and I fucking couldn't even make it through one intro.
Speaker 1: It's fucking sick. It's so sickening. Oh, I left my glasses on the plane. No, you know what. It was one of those things where they took us on a bus to Termina. Fucking buses, and so I got on the but we got off the bus. I'm at the door and I go, fuck, my glasses are in the seatback pocket. I'm not going to get back on a bus back to the plane. Like they're they're gone, you know, they're Warby Parker's. I can get new ones. But I was they are my blue signature glasses. So I think how I lost my leather jacket. These buses are not part of my plan. Stop fucking with me, like I honey, different modes of transportation, All right, should we get started. We have a great one for you guys today. Don't really go anywhere, Okay, guys. This episode is called Send in the Clowns. I'm not allowed to sing it, but I do like that song from A Little Night Music. It is season nineteen, episode seventeen, and we open on someone in a creepy clown mask at some kind.
Speaker 2: Of like rave par is an understatement. Yeah it's Gary, not a Gary mask.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, it's like only the upper part of the face, so it's like it covers the nose but not the mouth. It's really not cool. Very great job to the costuming or the prop department or whatever made this mask. We are seeing him, but we're also like walking through the party, but we're also seeing his POV from behind the mask, and I'm just kind of like, no, thank you. I already really don't like this. And now that we're seeing a little bit more of the party, it feels like it's less of a rave and more of like a rap party for a bunch of like musical theater dorks, you know what I mean. It's like, hey, after the play, we're all gonna go to like the teen Center and dance, you know what I mean. And I don't know, there's like feather boas and people are wearing weird top hats. It's kind of strange. And then the guy with the clown mask kind of grabs this girl with a boa and she's like, stop it, you're scaring me. And he's like, how about a non alcoholic drink? What are you like fifteen? And she's like, I'm sixteen, sweet sixteen, and she's like flirting with this man who could truly have any face he is is in a clown mask, Like, I would definitely need to like see skin and eyes before I decided that I'm going to start flirting with a man in a mask. And now they're at the bar of this weird party where teenagers are and the weird man has still not taken off the clown mask, and the girl is somehow still okay with this, and her friend's like, we don't party like this at home, because of course they're from Pennsylvania and are in New York on spring break with their music class, so I was not that far off with my musical theater dork reference. The girl that's the friend explains that boa girl, the girl wearing a bobe is Haley, and she's a piano prodigy and she's gonna play at Carnegie Hall one day and tonight they're just gonna party. And she's like, it's you and me to the guy in the clown mask, a man who's face she has not yet seen. I'm blown away. So now they're all dancing close to this like industrial music, still no face from clown man. And now I do see someone dressed as a ring master, and so I do realize that this is a full circle themed party. I guess I wasn't really putting it together at first, but once I see the ring master with the whip, I'm like, here we are all eyes on me in the center of the ring. And I guess Haley thinks feather boas are very circusy. I mean, her outfit doesn't make any sense to me. But here they are. Now Haley and clown boy are in some kind of magic parlor of this party and having like a private magic show from a magician who has his hands closed. And she picks the left hand, but that hand is empty, and in the right hand is a card and it says death on it. And Haley looks like a little bit fucked up here, but it's hard to tell, like they don't make it very obvious, like she's not woozy falling down, but she seems a smidge fucked up.
Speaker 2: I'm not I definitely thought when he was opening his hands there would be like pills, but yeah, I guess he was weirding taro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and also like a card doesn't fit into your hand very well. I'm not sure how she fucked that up. But anyway, we cut from this clown to another clown on top of a cake, and it's Finn's son in law, Alejandro, bringing him a clown birthday cake at the precinct for a little surprise party that Finn didn't know about. His son Ken is there. The whole squad is clapping, and I was like, this clown cake is weird? Why did they get him a clown cake? And then Finn goes see clowns. I saw little colorful dots. I liked the cake, yeah, but it was a clown cake and had a big clown on it.
Speaker 2: I missed the clown I totally. I was like, wow, cool spots.
Speaker 1: Well, then Finn, right as I'm wondering why is this a weird clown cake? Finn goes clown cake and so he was reading my mind and they're like, oh, Jaden picked it out, and that is Finn's little grandson who's about a year old, and he's super cute, and Finn is like a super proud grandpa. Jaden's cue. Everyone is, you know, and we all know that whenever everyone's in the squad having like a wholesome family moment, that shit's about to get really horrific and a crime is about to be reported. So Olivia has her cute little curtain bangs again that I like, and she's explaining Finn's family tree to Stone and then like inviting him to Safer Cake. I remember thinking in these seasons that there is kind of a vibe between them, but I think maybe they tried for it and it didn't work, and that's why he bounced out of the show so quickly. They were like, oh, maybe this will be something, but then it kind of I don't think the chemistry was there, but I definitely remember thinking they're going to try to make something with this, yeah, but then they realized he had no personality and was just like a cardboard box of a yes truly, And so back at the clown Rave, Haley's friend is now frantically searching for her everywhere. She's asking a guy dressed as a mime who does not give like a remote piece of a shit, and like, no one knows where your friend is. And she goes outside. She's calling Haley on the phone. She's so upset. She's like, we're gonna be in so much trouble. It's past curfew. She's freaking out. And did you ever go on a trip like this where you were unsupervised at night? Like I went in eighth grade, which is a little bit younger than them. I went on a trip to DC with like my whole class, but we were like supervised the whole time. It was never like go out in a mall during the day and then meet back at a certain time, but at night, it was never like, you know, I'm sure they snuck out. I'm sure they weren't allowed. But I feel like on a lot of these trips, like no one's checking where these kids are. Oh yeah, class VU field trips, they're just out and about in New York.
Speaker 2: City, because like I think they are sneaking out of the hotels. But I've heard I didn't go on these big trips with my class, but I have heard of like the teachers would tape the doors shut, So if you did escape, interesting, Yeah, but I remember for the swim team, like we ran around and I was throwing like water balloons on people. I did that kind of trip, but we were old, we were teens. Yeah, I don't, I don't know.
Speaker 1: My niece is actually in New York right now with her class trip. Oh my gosh, be careful, don't go out. Don't talk to anybody who's telling me were where. There's a cool party at Hudson. You dude.
Speaker 2: She will barely talk to people who love her like me. She's not going to talk to a stranger. Well good, I'm glad she's.
Speaker 1: Gonna be safe anyway. So the cold open blacks out on Haley's friend just screaming her name on a New York City street and she looks very, very terrified. And then we're at the credits, So top of act one, we're at the precinct walking and talking, and Rollins goes to Finn, I love this. This is maybe one of my top moments I've ever seen on SVU. Rollins goes to Finn, has Jayden seen paw patrol? Jesse is obsessed? You gotta watch it, And Finn goes no, I don't and just bounces. It is one of the best burns. I love that Finn. It's like Amanda, paw Patrol is a disease. Why are you trying to tell Finn that he should catch it? Like it makes no sense? Like I would never say to another parent you would love paw Patrol. It's like vapid and badly written, and it just something that Rosie's obsessed with, and I cannot wait for the obsession to pass. There's other shows Blue. I'd say Blue. I would tell other parents, get your ass to Blue right now. It's one of the best. There's so many good shows, Rollin's. This goes in the bad Columny, but they're a Paw Patrol fan. It doesn't matter. It's bad. It doesn't even glorify cops. It's just a bad show. I'm sorry, I've never real baby laugh so hard when Finn goes no, I don't well, I mean, I thought of you and Rosie the whole time. It was perfect. And so next thing we see is Haley's friend walking in with a man and a woman to report Haley missing. The man is like, I'm the head chaperone. This is all my fault. His name is mister Turner. He's the music teacher. The woman's chaperone is Charlotte, and they're supervising fifteen girls on this field trip. They're from beaver Falls, Pennsylvania, and obviously Finn knows that that's where Joe Namath was born. Like random feels like a writer really wanted to get that in, but Finn has all this like football knowledge. So now Haley and Jenny the friend finally gets a name. Must have snuck out, is what she says. Okay, so they did sneak out, but I just feel like there's gotta be more. I don't know. We didn't have cell phones either, so I think sneaking out felt too scary, Like how do we get back? Where do we go? You know, like you'd only be able to go like walking distance from your hotels.
Speaker 2: I love slumber party vibes, like being in a hotel with friends. Yeah, is like I would love I love that now. I was piching you that last week. I was like, let's get a room and hang out like I like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is fun. So basically, it's one of those simultaneous interviews where Charlotte is talking to Careesy and the other ones are talking to mister Turner and they're like, no, Haley doesn't have a boyfriend. Her whole life is a piano. No one at school is good enough for her. And yeah, it's like only strangers in clown masks for this prodigy, the best of the best. But whatever, she has no problems at home. Her family is so devoted to her, and they're on their way to New York City right now. And then Jenny tells Rollins about the club that it was sixteen plus, so she thought it would be safe. I've never heard of a sixteen plus club in New York City, but okay, so these girls were at a party. The Circus party was on the Bowery and then afterwards, Jenny said she went and checked Carnegie Hall and Lincoln Center. Those are very far away. She was like truly on a New York tour. And she does tell Rollins about the older guy in the clown mask and they say that they were at the circus dance party from eight to ten, and that's like around when she lost her So now the gang is exchanging all the details. No ATM, card pings, no social media. Her phone died before Midnight and they're like, the best case is she met a guy in lost Track of Time. Worst case, let's not go there. So now Haley's parents show up and it is Will Sasso from Mad TV. I don't know if you guys are fans, but I loved him on Mad TV The a King of Impressions and the mom is played by an actress named Wendy Hoops who I looked up. And she has also been on another episode of Sview called Townhouse Incident, which we will cover, and she was on an episode of Sex and the City but I did not remember her. But she is also the voice of Jane Laine and Quinn Morgendorff for on Daria, which I thought was amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean to find out that she was the voice of Jane Laane and Quinn morgandor for Ann Helen is beyond. I'm so happy, and I hope the big Hulu deal she got residuals and money and she keeps getting paid. And the DVD is that I bought of the season instead. Yeah, huge, Ann. Will Sasso's so good and he's really He's gonna stretch out his acting in this episode in a way that I'm very impressed with Yeah, an incredible performance and you know, like a nice couple.
Speaker 1: And I'm humiliated.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the Sex and the City episode, but he's gonna watch it immediately after this.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, the parents immediately these actors immediately start stretching their acting chops because they start arguing in front of Benson from the moment that they get there, like the mom thinks the dad gives it into Haley too much because he allowed the trip, and Benson's like, everybody calm down, and the dad's like, she's still a little girl. She doesn't even have a credit card, and Live is like, okay, does she maybe have a Finsta? But before they can even respond, Finn walks in with mister Turner, the chaperone, and Finn goes, you gotta see this, and the mom starts immediately like scolding the chaperone, like how could you do this? How could you like let our baby, you know, go missing? And so liv leaves the parents there and follows Finn and mister Turner, who shows her a video that he just found in a campholder.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Have I shared on the podcast before that I was a field trip helper and I did lose a child at six Flags.
Speaker 1: Great America, you have not shared that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my ex he was like running a day camp and I was like, I'll go to six Flags and then couldn't find a kid. He was out shopping but he was found. But my ex was like, never in the history has anyone lost a child. But I was like, he's he stopped to shop instead of exiting the ride, Like what am I supposed to know?
Speaker 1: I was supposed to chaperone? But he was Okay, I mean losing a kid. I definitely have thought I've lost kids I was babysitting for and the the just terror that goes through your hard is like, so, I mean Rosie walks away from me for two seconds, I don't see her, and I'm like, right, Like, you know, it's bad when you're a babysitter too, because you're like, that's someone else's kid, or you're a field trip liaison or whatever Liza was doing at six Flags. So liv leaves the parents and follows Finn mister Turner because he has just found this video on his phone that had gone to his spam folder. It's a video that Haley took in the car with the clown man and it's creepy. The guy's going, you shouldn't have gotten in this car, and then she's like take it off, and he finally takes off his mask, so we get a full look at this guy's face. Haley looks freaked out. She's like, you know, looking out the window, figuring out a way to escape in some kind of way. And then her phone drops and she her video kind of scans over a bag that says Balzarini Brothers and Finn's like, I know that place. That's the best butcher shop in Brooklyn, and so off they go. At the butcher shop. They find out this guy's name is Vinnie Drago. He works in that which sounds like a bad guy's name. I gotta say. He works in the back. They find him in the back hacking at a piece of meat and he's sketchy as hell. I mean, he's like, oh, maybe I was at that party. I guess I met her. Okay, I left with her, but we didn't do anything. We passed out and when I woke up, she was gone. So they all go back to this guy's place, like we got to check your apartment, and he has this huge cavernous apartment for a man who works at a bocher shop. Usually I think they match the apartments pretty well with the people, but this one seems very large. And then they find Haley's boa in the bathroom with blood on it, blood in the bathtub and on the shower curtain, and clownman. Vincent has like no idea what's going on?
Speaker 2: He's like what so yeah, and it's like, are you that sloppy? He wouldn't cover up all that evidence.
Speaker 1: Like yeah it is. I seem yeah, like a boa. You couldn't have just like thrown that in a garbage It does seem weird. So they've got Vincent Vinnie in interrogation and it is just not looking good for him. He's the last person to see this girl alive. They found her person cell phone shoved into a garbage can on his block, plus the boa, and there was blood in his car too, and Vincent's like, we were just having fun. She said she liked being scared, and he tries to say that the blood is from the busher shop, and the texts are like we're not what do you think we're idiots? Like it's human blood. We tested so now live is filling in stone that Vinnie has a history of DV and his ex has a restraining order against him, so that's anger management issues plus access to knives. And it's like, I can already tell this guy isn't the guy because it's almost too perfect. But it does look so so bad, and it reminds me of the show The Night Of on HBO. Did you watch that? I did not. It was really really good. It's with Riz Ahmed and so so good, but it's basically a similar thing where it's like this guy just gets like caught with the murder weapon blood on him. He was the last person seen with this girl. Like there's so much evidence, but you know, you're like, it isn't him. So the lab results come back and the blood in his apartment and car are a match for Haley. Uh oh. And I'm only saying it isn't him because we're at the top of act two. There's just no way that we found the guy already. You know, that's just not the way this show works. But in real life, I'd say this is the guy. Yeah, blood is a match in the car and the apartment for Haley. Uh oh. Not looking good for you, Vinnie. They also found Haley's necklace, which is like a clef, like a musical thing like and a twist. They found the necklace in the trunk. That's not good, Like, we know she was in the car, but now we know that the necklace was in the trunk, which could mean he moved a body who knows. So they show the necklace to the parents and the dad's like, I gave her that necklace when she was thirteen. They tell the parents about the blood. The dad's like, let me talk to this guy, like thinks, you know, he's allowed to like beat a confession out of a man. And then they try to tell the parents to prepare for the worst. But the dad is like, fuck that, and he's like, I'm the one keeping her alive. I'm the only one, like because he's like, in my mind, she's still alive and I'm keeping her alive. And the wife goes, he just like he storms off, and the wife goes he just loves her so much more than me, I think, and it's like, Okay, well, yeah, I don't know. I guess Jared probably loves Rosie more than me. But I guess I'm okay with that. I don't know, but it seems like maybe she feels like he has such a bond with the daughter that maybe she resents it a little bit anyway, next scene, the parents go on the news full press conference, offering a fifty K reward. They tell Haley that they'll never stop looking for her, and Live is like, we need answers and Cariese's like, okay, well, Vinnie made two calls that night, one at one am and one at two twenty am, and he had lied, obviously and said he was sleeping. So he's like again, lies on lies on lies. This guy's looking really bad. And they're working on tracing these calls and they've got Vinnie's Saturn going over the Manhattan Bridge at one thirty eight towards Brooklyn and this is like truly the biggest pile of evidence we've ever seen, Like I've just never seen so much proof that somebody did something. And so now Finn is back interrogating Vinnie again with a picture of showing him a picture of him like, look, you're at a garbage jump buy the water at two am holding a heavy bag? Is that Haley in the bag? And he's like that's sick. He's just fully denying it.
Speaker 2: Well because at this point, if this was me, knock on wood hopefully never, but I would be like, listen, guys, I know, I know what it looks like, but it isn't me.
Speaker 1: So yeah, like I would cooperate and be like can I help in any where? Like I just wouldn't be like nah, I'd be like, this is so fucked. It was not me.
Speaker 2: We have to figure it out, like I just I would go about it a little differently.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. The guy is acting very sketchly, and that's so that's like part of it. So Finn goes a witness saw you dragging a bag, and I'm like, how did you find this witness? Like were you were? Like, did anybody see anyone dragging a bag by a dump at two am? But they did find some kind of witness. And then Vinnie is like, it's not what you think. It wasn't a body, it was dunt dune meat. So then Stone is like, this guy was selling rotten meat out of his trunk. I still don't really get what's going on. I think it's like meat that's good, but it's past its sell by date, so you can't technically sell it, but it's probably still good to use. You could put it in a shepherd pie, you know, yeah, or like maybe these are like, I don't know, food truck people or something. I don't know. The buyer's name is Jose. He's got a black van on a burner phone. So it just like it just so happens that this man is making meat deals. Three hours after, this girl's phone dies and she goes missing, and there's blood in the apartment, you know what I mean. It's just all a little bit crazy, And they send a search team to go check this dump in Red Hook. Meanwhile, Drago Vinni Drego has lawyered up, and I'm like, why did it take so long? You were talked to like six times before you finally lawyered up. But okay, and then a woman from the search team, who is probably too pretty to be working at a trash search team, is like, I got bad news for you guys. There was a huge pick up last night at midnight. It was and Rollin's is pissed. She's like, it was supposed to be locked down, and she's like, there must have been a fuck up. The stuff that was here is either being burned or being shipped out of state, like anything that was dropped here is gone, and so they're screwed. Haley's parents show up with dump. They want to know what's up. The dad is freaking out, screaming about how Haley is alone and cold and afraid, and he's very you know, he's good television. I'll say that. You know, you can tell he's excited to be there. You know. I feel like Will Sasso was like, I'm like, I don't know, well, they like so many scenes. The parents keep showing up at dumps and random places, like the parents are just always showing up, so you know they I think they wanted to get the most out of the Will Sasso screen time that they could. And so there we're watching this like inside edition type you know, expose on the case. And it's called The Beauty and the Butcher is what they're calling the case. And I want to remind everyone it's been three days, Like there's already a full Nancy Grace like coverage of this, and it's been three days since this girl went missing. Liv asks Stone if he's going to charge Drago, and he's like, it's hard to make a murder case without a body, and then they look at the news report and Drago's going, they're never going to find a body. I can tell you that. It's like he's just doing so much sketchy shit, Like he says that directly into camera, like full full creep, and I.
Speaker 2: Don't under he didn't commit this crime. Doesn't mean he's not a creep criminal.
Speaker 1: Yes, and he has a restraining order and he's hurt women in the past, whatever, But I what I want to know is why is he not saying where the blood came from? Like he's not even saying how this girl's blood got in his bathroom. He's just like he's not even like, I don't know, maybe she caught herself, like nothing, He's just like, yep, I get. I mean, I didn't do it, but her blood's in my bathroom, Like there's no excuse. It seems weird. And Live is like asking Stone how long are you going to torture her parents? And Stone's like, are you always so persistent? And it's like, bro, yeah, you're new here. Obviously you don't know the half of the Olivia Benson method. And then the news report is showing how Hayley's a musical prodigy, even though neither of her parents had a musical background. She mastered the piano at four, she was a virtuoso by five, like huge competitions by six. Like she's like, you know, other world, like on another level with the piano. And then Stone's like, all right, I'll charge Vinnie with murder. Two. I don't know what convinces him, Olivia the piano, I don't know what it is. He's like, all right, two. So in court, Jenny is on the stand the friend if you all remember Jenny, and she's explaining how they met Vinnie, and she's like she identifies him and she's like he's the one right there with the creepy eyes. And he's like, is she allowed to say that? I guess she is, And now will sasso. The dad is on the stand and he's like, she's never had a boyfriend. She's in that between age, and I'm like, I kind of think sixteen is on the other end of that between age. But whatever, this is gonna get this dad to sleep at night. And he's choking up and he's like, the defense claims your daughter ran away and the dad's like, there's no way she would never she was so happy. And the lawyer for Vinnie gets up and when it's his turn to cross, he goes nothing for this witness, no disrespect, but they don't have a body, Like it's kind of hilarious. It's just this like goomba guy being like, no disrespect ya, but I don't see a body, Like, oh my god, I just said goomba.
Speaker 2: And I think I realized how drunk I was last night because I just thought of Sarah Sherman and I was like, oh, I saw her yesterday but always says gaba ghoul and stuff.
Speaker 1: But yeah, but I totally forgot I saw her until this one moment. Glad I could help you with that.
Speaker 2: Remember story, listen, I love my cool for Yeah, she was.
Speaker 1: I'm just proud of her. Yeah. So the lawyer sits down after they don't have a body, and then the parents and mister Turner approach Stone after court and they're like, I mean, first of all, I just can't believe how quickly this is all moving, Like the timeline is so SVU, like it's been five days basically that this girl has gone four days and we're already like in court with like people testifying, like they haven't even moved it forward in time. It's just like so so fast. Maybe it's maybe it's just the arraignment. I don't know, but it seems like just really really fast, like very SVU timeline. And so mister Turner and the parents are kind of like, we think that the lack of a body is sort of bad for the case, and Stone is like, don't worry, I'm gonna play the video tomorrow, like the video is from the car is definitely like kind of a smoking gun. And the jury has sympathy for the parents, like you did great on the stand, and then mister Turner's gonna go on the stand. And they go to the next scene, but off of mister Turner like kind of looking a little concerned, and he's like looking off into the distance and he looks worried. And so at the squad they're watching more news coverage of this case when Stone shows up and says, uh, what's up, mister Turner. The chaperone just never showed up in court today, just totally ghosted. And they check he checked out of his hotel and his wife did say he was nervous about testifying. So liv sends releasi to Beaver Falls and he's like, They're like it's six hours away, and Carisey's like, the way you drive, we could get there in four and I'm like, I don't know about that, but I guess Brolins has a lead foot. So liv is like, uh, talking to Stone and she's like, I hope you don't hate me for telling you to take this to trial and he's like, not yet, bitch, but I'm getting there. And so now we're in beaver Falls and we're talking to mister Turner's wife and she's like very pretty and she's like, oh, yeah, he loves Haley. He was crying on the phone to me, like do I have to be worried about him? Like what's going on? Like he's not at home, so where did he go? They asked her to call him again, and she does it and it goes straight to voicemail and she's like he talks NonStop about Haley. It actually kind of drove me crazy, but I mean, like, I am sad she's dead. And it's like, all right, lady, did Jude, what did you do? And then they she just explains, Oh, they spent a lot of time together going to concerts. Like her different you know, competitions and stuff like that. And then they find out, oh, he has a recording studio in the house, and they're like, can we go look at it? So they go in to check it out. They find all this music. They find a song called Haley's Song, and then dunt done in the piano bench where I used to my mom has always had a piano, and I like love opening the piano bench and like hiding things in there, so I can understand why they found this there. But a bunch of fully clothed but very suggestive photos of Hailey are in there, like her like arching her back, sucking a lollip, like she's always in clothes, but it definitely looks sexual. And so we're in Live's office now with Haley's parents and the dad is reading the lyrics to Haley's song out loud, which are like not platonic love song like lyrics. They're very like, oh my god, I long for your body and all this like stuff that seems like not appropriate, and the mom is like, there is no relationship. He is her music teacher. And then everyone's basically like, we got to find James Turner right now, and they said, has he said anything weird? Does he know anyone in New York City? And the dad's like, oh yeah, what about that guy we ran into a dinner and they know everything about him. They're like, his name's Alan Hubert. He wrote they wrote a jingle together. The guy wouldn't stop bragging about how the royalties paid for his mansion in Long Island. And I'm a little confused, like if they wrote a jingle together, why did one guy get all the royalties to buy a mansion and the other guy gets to live in Beaver Falls.
Speaker 2: But I mean, well, one's a pedophile, so one wanted to, you know, harass children.
Speaker 1: So he tries. But you think he's got money. I mean he has a recording studio in the house. Oh that's true, that's true. Okay. Now we're at Alan Hubert Production's in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and he's like this classic like law and Order character who's like, if you cops want to talk to me, you better keep up. Like he just keeps walking and he says his name is pronounced Ubert and he knows Turner because they wrote this dog jingle together years ago. And he's like, and I want to tell you two things. One I've been up all night and two I'm late for a meeting with Lynn Manuel, and I love that. I love just I mean, this guy is reprehensible already. You can tell he's annoying as fuck, But like, I just like Lin Manuel getting like a only first name shout out, because we all know that Benson loves Hamilton, New York loves Hamilton. Everyone's into this. Well.
Speaker 2: Also, now that I'm thinking about the money, you also don't know how people spend their money. So maybe the other teacher like went traveling or gambled it at all, or gave it a sick mom, you know what I mean. Like, yeah, you just never know, and this guy just has a great house, and then maybe you know, he has to keep working too.
Speaker 1: Pianos are expensive. Pianos are like thirty grand or something, you know, So definitely that's it's not impossible. It just seemed like, oh, how come this one guy's like living it up in Long Island and this other guy's in beaver Falls. But maybe I'm being a little bit too black or white about it. So there makes cookie. They're talking to this guy Hubert Ubert about it, and they're like, look, he might have something to do with this girl's disappearance, and the guy goes, I'm not shocked. He's a loser. I'm the best, and the cops are all just like okay, we don't really care about your whole thing, like can you just please tell us where he might be, and he's like, I won't be implicated in this, and then Coreesy really puts his foot down and is like, tell us where he is, and he's like, suddenly, mister don't implicate me is fully involved, and it's like, okay. I felt sorry for him. So when he called about marriage problems, I gave him the keys to my house in Oyster Bay, which is my favorite Savignon blanc also just to add that, and he says I haven't heard from him since, so I don't know why this man didn't just give this information, like, oh, he might be at my house in Oyster Bay, Like you're not gonna get arrested for that. So now we're at the mansion on Long Island and they I did look up Oyster Bay. I thought maybe it sounded very Hampton's, but it's not technically in the Hampton's, but it's on Long Island and they enter a bedroom where James is fast asleep dunt done in bed with Haley. She's alive. They are fucking. They're naked in bed together. I mean, not currently fucking, but that they have historically been fucking. Finn's like, get away from the girl, and Haley's like, go away, leave us alone. I love him. And James gets like taken away and she's screaming his name. And now Haley is in the car with Rollins and they're, you know, driving back to the city from Long Island, and Rollins suggests that James framed Vinnie, and Haley's like, nah, girl, that was all me. I cut myself in the bathroom. I sent the video like I did. And Rollins is like, you know, he could have gone to jail, like I didn't mean, and like that's pretty fucked that you were just framing an innocent man, and She's like, I didn't mean for that to happen. I mean, he just like seemed like a criminal at the club, which he definitely is. But still, and were you like avoiding the news coverage like you knew he was going to trial. This was all over the news, the beauty and the butcher, like you could have easily just come forward, but I guess you're too deep. And then by then, so the plan was, she said to hang out until everybody thought Haley was dead, and then they her and James were going to go to Vienna and he was going to buy her a Steinway Grand and they were going to tour the world. And my mom has a Steinway but it's not a Grand, it's a Mini. But she's a big fan. And they were going to tour the world and she's in love with him. That was like their whole plan. And in the other car, we've got Finn talking to and CARIESI talking to James and he's like, I love her. What's wrong with that? And they're like, she's sixteen, I mean the obvious, and he's like, she has an old soul and he's like, okay, cool was it her? And then I was just thinking, like, okay, cool, was it her old soul? Deep throating a lollipop in the pictures that you like, like, is that what was doing it for you?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: Oh my go, she looks so worldly in these pictures. And so James starts comparing their relationship to music and something about the fugue of two voices coming together or some shit, and Carisey's like, Okay, you're a child rapist, so whatever you want to talk about with various concertos, etc. And then she goes. So we're bouncing back and forth between the two cars and it's like they're both like rainy police car vibes and I'm kind of enjoying that. And the girl is just talking about it like they're star crossed lovers, like everyone's trying to keep her and her boyfriend apart, even though it's her fucking music teacher. And she's like, you think I don't know about love. I know all about love. And now we're in Olivia's office and she's bringing coffee to the parents and the mom is like livid. She's like, how could he do this make us think that she was dead? And the dad is just like so happy that Haley's alive. He's like so excited. And then they start to realize that he was definitely having sex slash raping their daughter, and the mom says I'll kill him, and lives like, don't make me lock you up. And the mom goes to Haley and embraces her when she comes in, but at that moment, James is being let in at the same time, which I just can't imagine that they do this at all in real life, but they always do on the show, so that there's drama, and he calls out to Haley, like Haley, and then the mom slaps him, and Haley is like, leave my creepy music. Teach your boyfriend alone. And then the mom goes out of all the girls in the school, and you're like, wait what. And then the mom's like, oh, did you feed her that line about the fugue? And the two voices call back, and so now we're starting to figure it out, and she goes, your line's always work, right, Jimmy, especially after a few glasses of chardonnay. How many seductions is enough? And the dad is like, hey, Anna, what's going on here? And then the mom admits it all comes out. She and James slept together one time seventeen years ago. Hopefully you're doing all the math work here and you're putting all the pieces together, and she's like, that's right, Jimmy, she's yours. You've been sleeping with your own own daughter, which we've heard that a few other times on the show before when someone finds out they're sleeping with their brother, sister, mother, father, or whatever, and it never gets less gross or more like, less scandalous. So James like immediately starts keeling over like he's gonna be sick. He's like, oh, and then Live takes Haley away and the mom is like, what does he get for incest? And I'm truly wondering, like what does he get because we talked about this on our podcast. That's really illegal anywhere. Yeah, but adults, Oh, that's adults, that's right. I just feel like the incest doesn't matter what compared to the underage of it all, you know, Yeah, but I don't even know who cares. Yeah, sure, sure, I mean the under can be upset that, you know. The dad's Yeah, like, I think he'll get enough just based on like a million counts of statutory rape.
Speaker 2: But I'm sorry, but Haley needs to be charged for all this too, Like she did almost fuck up that creeps life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. I wonder what that It wouldn't be filing a false police report because she didn't file it.
Speaker 2: But I wonder what Shin or Sudya planting evidence? Who knows?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have a lot of lawyer listeners let us know how Haley would be charged. But the dad is heartbroken and he's like saying to the mom like, how could you not tell me? And the mom is like, well, we thought she was dead. How would this have helped? And I think he means I think it's kind of like, how could you have not told me in these last few days, like with all of this happening, And he's like, well, we thought she was dead, Like I wasn't going to like completely ruin your life more. And the dad tries to go at James to beat the shit out of him, and the cops have to hold him back, and Haley in another room is Olivia crying, screaming, yeah it is. It's like really good, it's really good. And he's a big guy, so they're like really like a lot of people are holding him back, and you kind of think like, wow, if one person lets go, this man's going to murder this other man. And then in another room, Haley is like debriefing with Olivia and she's got like a huge on her face. She's like, oh my god, James is my dad. That makes so much sense, Like she's psyched about it. She's like, I always felt a connection, and I was always so talented. I knew my dad couldn't be a garbage man. I just knew it. And she's like grinning, like a really creepy grin, and I do not like it. And now we're in court and it's March twenty first, and they first arrested Vincent on the fourteenth, So this has all happened in one calendar week. I just find that so wild and very SVUW. And I'm sure our lawyer listeners are like, in what world? Like I think everything takes ten months, like even for one motion in the real world of law. But Stone says that Turner pled guilty to rape two, kidnapping, and dangering a minor and incest. He's in jail and on suicide watch and he's going to prison. I get people have called us out on not knowing jail in prison, and I honestly didn't find out the difference between jail and prison until I was like twenty five years old. I remember someone telling me and I was like, wait, what, Like, you just go to jail for a crime or you're in prison for a crime, And they're like, no, jail is like where you go while you're being held, like awaiting trial or like in holding, and then prison is like where you're going away for a long time. And I always fuck it up. But so Stone is like, I mean, I don't get it, and Live is like, it's called genetic sexual attraction. It's when a father and a daughter don't grow up in the same household and they meet as adults and it can happen, and it has happened on this show. Baby, So you Live says what you do is you recommend the best therapists and you pray to God that they get through it and lives like, I hope this didn't scare you back to Chicago, bro, And then Stone reveals to Olivia that his sister is actually in a facility upstate and she has schizophrenia and that their father used to visit her once a week and that now is his duty. And so that's kind of another reason why we find that he is doing this job in Manhattan, so he can be close to his sister and lives like, Wow, Well, if you ever need to talk, let me know. And now we're at the facility in South Salem, which is very near where I grew up on Stone is where we used to buy our Christmas trees as a Jewish family. And Stone is going to visit his sister Pamela, and she doesn't know who he is. When she sees him, she's like, who are you? And then he brings her this special treat which kind of looks like a tasty cake or something, and now she thinks he's her dad, and she's like daddy, and it's just a sad moment where like, you know, someone doesn't recognize someone. And Stone leaves and it's nighttime and we see for like a second that it's very hard for him. And that's Dick wolf Bibbe. What's easy for him?
Speaker 2: He always has a face of true like like.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it's like I played professional baseball. It's like anything for you. Yeah, he's so annoying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know, for some reason, we love genetic attraction so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it's so I think it's like, you know, we kind of love the grosser, crazier shit on this show. And like, I think for you and I that idea is so horrific.
Speaker 2: But well, we have some friends that recently went to and they were telling me that before anyone fucks in Iceland, they have apps to make sure you're related or not because there's only three hundreds such as the population, so they're usually okay with like I think fourth or fifth cousins or something like that, or yeah, like I don't remember, but before anyone fucks, like all of their infos in an app to like make sure, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe we should do it here. Who knows. I don't know. I have cousins in Italy who were married to each other really but they and they were first cousins, but they didn't have any kids because they knew no.
Speaker 2: But also, like I'm thinking of like the Jane Seymour episode when the boy's like and I had sex with my sister but he's picked.
Speaker 1: But this girl the smile and being like I know it's like my daddy. This makes so much sense, And like I wonder if she continues with piano, like do you think that they're like And famously this is the virtuoso who was fucking her music teacher and it was she does need to go to jail. Yeah, playing sending the clowns from a Little Night Music. That's how they announced piano concerts by the way.
Speaker 2: I don't know, but if this is it really no why sound like a sportscaster. But because if let's say this was how detectives really are and not SVU, Vinnie would be in prison. Yeah, yeah, because creepy like the no jury would be like that, oh he didn't do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I have absolutely zero idea what this is based on, and I am looking forward to getting the Lisa treatment. Yeah. It's not good. Not good. I can't imagine it is.
Speaker 2: Okay, So this is gonna make you really really mad, angry throughout all of it because this could have been prevented time and time again, and our society sex.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So this case is based on the case of Elizabeth Thomas. Elizabeth was a teenager who was kidnapped by her teacher, Tad Cummins in twenty seventeen and driven across the country for thirty eight days. And this isn't even the first teacher kidnapping we're talking about.
Speaker 1: On her No, I know. I was going to say, we've talked about one before, but this did happen like months before the SVU episode came out, So it's very like, definitely based on this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was her health sciences teacher at Colloaqua Units School in Moriy County, Tennessee. Before he was her teacher, she was homeschooled her entire life, and her and her siblings mom was She was abused by this mother, a very abusive mom. The abuse was so bad they finally reported their mom, Kimberly Thomas, to child Protective Services and she was removed from the home in twenty sixteen and charged with child abuse and neglect. And this prompted Elizabeth to go to public school for the first time. And if you are a pedophile predator, perfect target. You know, never been to school, doesn't have any friends, and was abused, so not good. And she was immediately bullied by her classmates. And then eventually she started to confide in her fifty year old health teacher, Tad, who I guess was like they say, he was a popular teacher and well liked, so she felt comfortable and she started to lean on him for support since everyone made fun of her.
Speaker 1: Then she had a terrible life.
Speaker 2: So he groomed her and preyed upon her for months by nudging and molding her until her will like to resist, was completely broken and like yeah, like she just had a lot of conflict in.
Speaker 1: Her brain at all times about all of this.
Speaker 2: You made her feel like she didn't have anyone else and that no one really cared about her.
Speaker 1: I do think I actually read a People magazine article about this. That's one of my top sources.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he would give her money and gifts and then but also like physically push her head. And she was really afraid of him most of the time, she recorded to ABC News. I was afraid to see him angry. He doesn't take no well. And so that's already like at fifteen, you know it, and you know, these are themes that we talk about all the time on this show and then the world and what we tried to explain to men constantly, but that it's like, yeah, it's not easy to say no to people that are out of their minds and violent and give off disgusting vibes.
Speaker 1: And it's older than you and in a position of power above you and bigger than you. I mean like all of the like you have no like standing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, she was fifteen years old. And then this is where it gets like fucked. So well it's been fucked, but this is like where it ramps up. So he sat across from her one day in his classroom and said, you'd look pretty nice naked. Now cut to a little bit later, he grabbed her face and kissed her, and she was scared to tell her dad. But on January twenty third, like, he was caught kissing Elizabeth on school grounds by another student and was suspended from his job. But like just the light, Like a suspension doesn't seem like enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like why was there not police involvement? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And so then he started to guilt her and make her feel really bad for his suspension and threaten that he would punish her for it. And he also would say shit like if I can't have you, I'm gonna kill myself, Like you better be with me. He's you know, she knew he had two guns. He would threaten killing himself all of the time. And now is like you also made me lose my job. This is on you. And then everyone at the school started to call her a whore and they were all mad at her for ruining his life.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: The kiss though is when like she realized had gone too far and was fucked up. But then it's like I'm confused if other students saw it like calling her a whore.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's like starts early. I don't know. I don't know about like I mean when I was in eighth grade or like no, no, it wasn't. It was even younger. It was like six or seventh grade. Like we found out this girl had sex with like someone's older brother, and we were all like so scandalized because we just like hadn't been taught enough about sex. Like I think hopefully I'm going to try to be teaching Rosie more about sex stuff early so that it doesn't feel like, yeah, it's so bad and it's so wrong that like you have to completely shame and like torment somebody that you hear has a sexual experience, because I bet even in the South, it's like women are horrors, men are playboys. You know, like just the religious religiosity of like that area of the country too added to it, you know, where they were just like you know, did this man have a wife or anything? Was he married?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, so it's like, oh, you're a home wrecker. You ruined his life, you know, like Okay, she's fifteen.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's gross. So you know, they're calling her a whore and doing all this stuff. But then we find out, or I find out, or you're gonna find out. Other students reported that he would rub her back and shoulders, and even saw her sleeping one morning on a hospital bed in his classroom.
Speaker 1: Jesus, I mean, it could be a.
Speaker 2: Cat, and it's like a teen's perspective, but either way, there's a bed in the classroom, she he's rubbing her.
Speaker 1: Still, no one gives a shit.
Speaker 2: School, even after all these little things, let her go on a field trip where he was the chaperone after students saw them kissing. Then after the field trip, the school directed both of them to not have contact with each other. But he was still working at the school. Disgusting, and he was a master manipulator who pressured her all the time to go out with him by threatening her with repercussions at school. He made her go to me with him, and she had told siblings and friends in her life like that she was scared and in over her head, and nothing came of it. He would tell her lies about himself, so he had like a very inflated view.
Speaker 1: Of himself, and she knew some of it.
Speaker 2: Was lies, but he thought he was like, I'm a millionaire, I was in the Special Forces. I killed Bin Laden And that's when she was like, maybe he's lying because.
Speaker 1: And then during all this, his wife.
Speaker 2: Jill, says that Elizabeth actually became part of their family and would go to church with them. Tad considered himself a very religious man, and he knew what he was doing. He picked up perfect target, someone that came to him for help, clearly having issues, and he told her not to seek mental help. He said, don't go to a therapist or meds because that's going to change who you are. And so she's like telling him how sad and depressed she is, and he's like, don't you dare get any help for that? And then also hanging out with her and his wife at church.
Speaker 1: I mean, yeah, no, it's diabola. Like he tells her not to get mental help because he knows that she'll report and that he'll be found out, right, like it's all to save his own ass.
Speaker 2: And he finally used all this to convince her that she had to leave with him because of her and his suspension and like you did that, and you fucked up my future career and it's your fault and the bullying was so bad in school. He was like, you better run away with me or else, and he again said he would kill himself and her family, and she reluctantly agreed to leave town with him, and then wildly. Just before her disappearance, she did tell her sister like, if I don't if I don't return home by six pm, call the police. A sap and the sister didn't really know what was up, and then they understood. Tad told his wife that he was going to take some time to decompress in Virginia Beach and not to worry about it.
Speaker 1: What is this?
Speaker 2: The real house was of Atlanta. So the pair vanished on March thirteenth from the Morey count from Maury County, Tennessee, and this was in twenty seventeen. The plan was for him to take her to Mexico via a kayak from San Diego's Carnado Island.
Speaker 1: She picked up from a restaurant, and.
Speaker 2: As soon as they went to leave, he set a gun on the middle console. He made her throw her phone off the bridge. He disconnected the GPS like a real misty from yellow jackets, and then he unhooked the radio and yeah, so no phones, no GPS, no radio, Like he knew what he was doing. And then when they would stop at hotels, he would make her sleep naked in the hotels right next to him, so she couldn't run away or leave. She didn't get to shower alone use the toilet. He was always near her, and he was very mean to her, very like, would say very hurtful shit to her, and he sexually assaulted her night after night. When they reached Colorado and Utah, that's where he started buying alcohol for her. But she was really smart and from each state that they stopped, she would take a rock and write what county they were from, so if he got caught, he would be charged for each of the stick and everywhere they went.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is very quick for all the laws. Very clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And one day on the TV in the hotel they saw the amber alert and like that people were looking for her.
Speaker 1: So he was just like, oh, we got to get some fuck in Mexico.
Speaker 2: And then eventually he wanted to go to Panama because that's where he loved doing mission trips. What a godly man, Yeah.
Speaker 1: He legit thought, Oh yeah, the kayak, so he is too stupid.
Speaker 2: So once the kayak plan failed, they stopped at black Bear Ranch commune, super off the grid, and.
Speaker 1: They hated him.
Speaker 2: The commune hated him like he didn't follow the rules, he was lazy, he didn't help, he didn't clean.
Speaker 1: So they're like, you need to leave the commune.
Speaker 2: So they kicked them out of the commune and he screamed at everyone with a knife and it was nuts. So then they left and they were eventually taken in by this caretaker named Griffin Barry, who gave them a place to stay in a cabin. They pretended that their names were John and Joanne Castro, a husband and wife, and that she was twenty four and he was in his thirties. Was like the story, And if you see photos of him, he does not look like he's in his thirties. I'll tell you that. So Griffin, Griffin Berry eventually was the person who helped find them and reported them. So he first encountered them at a gas station in far northern California.
Speaker 1: They gave him fake name, like I.
Speaker 2: Said, and they needed money for gas, food and a place to stay. So they he claimed that they were, you know, coming from Colorado, just this married couple and this guy was really nice. He paid for their gas and gave them forty dollars and set them up with accommodations in the Sevillville cabin. If you're in nature, Doric, let us know. They stay there for about a week and a half. So then finally Griffin Berry saw the photo of Commins on an Amber alert and was like, wait, that's the fucking guy. And the car matched up as well, and he was like talking with a neighbor, and the neighbor was like, we got to call the cops.
Speaker 1: Like that's for sure, that that's for sure you.
Speaker 2: So he contacted the authorities and outside of you know, Barry helping out, investigators received more than fifteen hundred tips from people following this case.
Speaker 1: This was a big case.
Speaker 2: He became like a top ten most wanted in the state of Tennessee. So Barry alerted investigators right away and that they were living in this remote cabin in Cecilville, California, which is thousands of miles from where they went missing.
Speaker 1: He said he found their vibe.
Speaker 2: Suspicious, she was super supper shy, and that he attempted to keep her away and was very dominating of the conversation and like she wouldn't even look at him.
Speaker 1: Cummins was arrested. Duh.
Speaker 2: Then his wife divorced him after thirty one years of marriage. The authorities raced to the small town in northern California, surrounded the cabin, and he was considered dangerous throughout the whole investigation, Like they knew he had guns and he was dangerous. Officials also found on his computer that he was conducting research on teen marriage, So there was plan and motive and all of that stuff to do fucked up shit. And so Elizabeth was recovered safely after thirty eight days and said to ABC News that that was the best day of my life. Barry was given a ten thousand dollars reward that was put up by Cummen's former coworker, Chandler Anderson. So maybe it was a good teacher or something, or someone that knew he was a creep, but or I said, former coworker. Who knows? But Chandler, I'm glad you fucking knew what was up.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I probably worked at the school or so, I don't know how Yeah, who knows?
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: So in a court hearing, Cummens's dumb sister asked that he'd be released from jail until his trial because something is wrong with him and the man she knows would never do something like this, but except he did, and the judge denied the request, Thank you.
Speaker 1: Very much, go food herself. He would never he did it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cummins pled guilty to two federal charges, transportation of a minor across state lines for the purposes of having criminal sexual intercourse an obstruction of justice. He was sentenced to twenty years in federal prison, even though prosecutors asked for the thirty year max. Obviously, when he leaves prison, he will have to register as a sex offender.
Speaker 1: Why doesn't he get the rape charges? I have no aing.
Speaker 2: I wonder, well, maybe because he pled guilty to avoid the trial that like he didn't want.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the deal.
Speaker 2: Now, this is from the New York Post, so I don't know if this is trustworthy, but he is quoted in twenty seventeen saying I don't regret it, nor do I say it was.
Speaker 1: The right thing to do. That sounds like something James would say. James Turner, the music teacher that.
Speaker 2: Thomas Fair I mean the music teacher did seem like not happy he was raping his daughter. The Thomas family sued the school board for not doing enough to protect her from that man, and the school denied failing any of its obligations, which I disagree with. If a teacher is kissing a student and rubbing her shoulders and you're she's still on field trips with him, like what the fuck?
Speaker 1: And he's still employed.
Speaker 2: No, But the suit was settled February twenty twenty for six hundred and fifty thousand dollars, reported by The Daily Herald.
Speaker 1: So that's a little bit of gotcha. She'll have a little bit of money to get, you know, some help that she needs probably, you know.
Speaker 2: So maybe she's in Tennessee, maybe she moved. I hope she's doing amazing, and I'm depending on where she lives.
Speaker 1: That money can really last you a very long time. Yeah, if you spend it right. But yeah, she yeah, Oh my gosh, I remember seeing this totally in like an article. Ough, but is right.
Speaker 2: It was fucking disgusting. I hate everyone and everything, and like the way our society functions is super annoying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and don't bully kids in school? Ugh, anyway, that's for all the teens that are listening to our podcast and we're just thinking about going in for a vicious bullying today. Please don't do it. We have an amazing guest as always, so don't go anywhere. Yay, Today we got to talk to somebody who I think both of us have grown up watching, grown up laughing at. He has been in everything from Mad TV to Happy Gilmore, Three Stooges, and a personal favorite of both of ours, Drop dead Gorgeous. And you may have seen him recently in shows like F's for Family and Mom, but you know him today as Hailey Sadler's sad stepdad Chris. Guys, please enjoy our combo with Will Sasso. Hello, Oh my gosh, I cannot believe we're talking to you, Will. This is so cool.
Speaker 2: Do people often say they grew up on you, like our that you meet, that you work all the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of people are familiar with some of my older stuff there, and then yeah, they'll say, hey, I grew up watching you. I'm like, how old are you And they're like, I'm forty one and I'm like, I'm forty six. This is sad, but I've looked like I'm, you know, forty eight, since I was around fourteen or fifteen, so that's probably why perfectly.
Speaker 2: And was oh also I recently did I was on Arden's podcast as like the Bachelor rookie and she says hello, and she was excited we were talking to you.
Speaker 3: Oh I love art and oh my gosh, yeah the best.
Speaker 1: She's so great?
Speaker 3: What a zoo?
Speaker 1: So was this a dream come true? SVU?
Speaker 2: You grew up in the Law and Order universe? Was this just like an acting role that came your way? Tell us the origin?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, you know it came my way. I'm I live in Los Angeles. They shoot the show in New York. I was not you know, local or anything. And yeah, they asked me to come out and play this role. And I was like, yep, it's.
Speaker 1: So different than like the normal comedy stuff that you normally do. So would you, like, were you just wanting to like stretch and do something a little different.
Speaker 4: I mean, I I love doing drama any chance I get to do it, so yeah, so I kind of look, I guess I look at that stuff a little different than I do any comedy TV or film that comes at me. In that I'll always kind of be like, I'm doing it, but what is you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Like most of the.
Speaker 4: Time with drama, Yeah, I'm always excited to do it.
Speaker 1: Is it intimidating at all?
Speaker 2: Or you're like, yeah, I can cry and be scared find out, you know, my daughter's not my daughter panic? And the thing is it? Like, is it an intimidating thing? Is comedy harder than drama? What they usually say, like, what how do you feel when you get something so juicy?
Speaker 1: Juicy so many emotions?
Speaker 3: You know? It's I find it fun.
Speaker 4: It's fun to play much, you know, much more or uh, you know, do a show or a film that's a little more real in tone and and also something that's just different from the comedy stuff that I do. Sorry, my dog's trying to dig a hole in a chair next to me. But but but no, I wouldn't say, yeah, well, I guess I wouldn't say more difficult. But maybe I'm just being a prick. Hey, you can't dig a hole through that. It's not going to work on don't you come over here anyway?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Shows the dog.
Speaker 4: He's a sweet boyd that's a really cute dog.
Speaker 3: He's a little street dog.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, yeah, we found him on the street perfect chocolate.
Speaker 3: In central California. This little weirdo.
Speaker 1: It was he that cute?
Speaker 2: You just picked him up and scooped him up or was he terrified or what happened?
Speaker 4: He is the most affable, sweetest little guy. He loves everybody. And my fiance and I were driving down from northern California back home here to LA and we pulled over to get gas. It was July the third. There was, you know, some fireworks going off everywhere in this little town, and there was another dog, a larger dog, running on the other side between us and a fence on the freeway side right so on we have another dog. So we were trying to give that dog's treats. The thing, get this dog back. We're driving down the street. Make a long story short. The dog tears off into the darkness at some point, and just before we were about to take off, Molly, my fiance is like, look out, there's another one. And then I just see the back of this guy's dumb little head going like the you know, he's running in front of the car. I get out, I grab I'm telling you, I think it's like dogs were everywhere because of the July the third, it was July fourth, and and he just rolled on his back and he's sweet and smiley and happy.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 4: Anyway, we stuck around for a while so if anyone was looking for him, he had fleas, ticks, no leash, no nothing wasn't chipped. Didn't know from dog food or a leash or anyway.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. Yeah, that's that sweet little story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's the greatest. He's the sweetest little guy.
Speaker 1: That's like a does he travel with me? He does, he's little. Yeah, yeah, that's the dreams.
Speaker 3: He just gets in a bag and he's quiet. He's the sweetest little Oh my god.
Speaker 1: He went from the side of the road. Now he's like a jet setting dog. I love that. That's a very busy that's a Pixar movie. I love that.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 1: So we were just like talking about comedy people because like so many comedians have been on Spew, like Martin Short, Kathy Griffin, Margaret Cho. I think people love to see comedians playing I don't know, psychos or grieving fathers. Where you like, are you hoping to come back to SVU as a psycho? Next? Time.
Speaker 4: I would love to go, yeah, as a psycho. Maybe, I don't know, if don't know how it works in the s V.
Speaker 2: Universe, they call it they bring people back. Oh, they bring missus Kara off. I love it.
Speaker 1: Well, we're just I just don't like it if it's too soon, Like if I'm like I just saw him last season as this person and then it like they're back again. I just need a few seasons to cool off and forget about you, and then you can come back, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe I could wear like a tight red wig or something, just change my lookup and some glasses.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I talked like that something.
Speaker 4: You know, really set myself apart, really really a vibe for an Emmy for Best Supporting Role.
Speaker 3: He wore a wig.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you could be a I can see you as a SVO criminal.
Speaker 3: I would love to be an SVU criminal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. How was working with your on screen wife, Wendy Hoops? You guys are both big VO people too. We noticed she's she was awesome.
Speaker 4: It was it was yeah, it was great. We had it was one of those things where, you know, as so often happens, we just kind of had to fall in right away. I think the first scene we were shooting, were sitting there with Mrska Hargatea like balling her eyes out because of our kid. But yeah, no, she was wonderful. She was wonderful, like you know, as as good as a cat. She was fantastic.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, and our listeners of course and us. But any scoop or fun stories from set with either with any of the cast members or just like being in the squad and filming that you would love to share.
Speaker 3: Nothing, I mean, nothing too out of the ordinary.
Speaker 4: I mean for me, it was just like wild to be around Iced Tea, you know, like it's just it's unbelievable. And I think, and I would imagine a lot of your guests, you know, might be like as a teenager listening to you know, body Count and.
Speaker 3: And all sorts of other ice t shirits.
Speaker 4: So that was cool there, you know, to me, it's there sort of these bizarre times you get starstruck, you know, where you're just like it could be be working with the biggest actor and you're like, oh whatever, you know, because they just.
Speaker 3: Showed up a few years ago. This is this is Iced Tea.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So him on the phone like with his family you know like that even that is like, yeah, when I get home, Yeah, those potatoes would be nice.
Speaker 3: Whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, with the way you put the pepper on after or whatever. Oh my god, anything that he said. I was like, he's uh, the crew is you know, a good thing about a show like that is that the crew, the cast and the crew largely have been together forever, so everyone's kind of given each other the gears and and uh, you know, speaking of Murska, Hargett is just such an amazing She's she's one of those people at the center of a show who she's getting the crew home by by you know, five or six, Like, you know, when you're doing.
Speaker 3: That many scenes in a long day and and I.
Speaker 4: Don't care how many days you have to shoot a drama or a single camera, it's never enough days.
Speaker 3: So she's just zooming shit along.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That makes me happy be home by dinner because we hear a lot of gushing about her, and that's one thing we have not heard yet.
Speaker 1: So it's exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and super chill with the with the crew, it's like they if they don't already, they should have a softball team for the weekends, because they clearly can't get enough of each other.
Speaker 2: Wait, so when you first read the script, did the twist kind of did you have a twist moment?
Speaker 3: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: But you know, at the end of it, uh myself and uh Wendy, we find out that that our daughter is in fact having an affair with her music teacher and she's underage, and we're, you know, we're blown away. But another ripple, of course at the end is that my wife had an affair with that music teacher and our daughter is actually his daughter. And of course, you know, things melt down. We're there in the in the police station, I'm charging at him and shit and and at which point I read that, I was like, well, that's that's that's too much. I don't do we need that. And there's daughter's been missing forever. How do you guys do it here? On SVU? I guess after as many seasons as they've had, you have to put a twist on a twist.
Speaker 2: And then well, then the additional twist was that the daughter was like I knew it, and I love that I knew my dad wasn't a garbage man. So even when you think the twists are done, and then you like talk to this teen who's kind of a psychotop.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, that's right. She's like, oh good, yeah, oh good. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well this is based on something that SVU has tackled before, which is this thing called genetic sexual attraction, and they talk about it in the episode. But it's like when people when it's like sometimes when people are not around their fat when girls are not around their fathers for a lot of their life and then they meet them later in life, there's like a sexual attraction or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just wonder you had thought about any of that when you guys.
Speaker 3: Were My research did not go there's going.
Speaker 1: To come up and nothing about genetic sexual dructure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they like meet their dad's knowing or unknowing, but the connection is so strong and they don't really know how to handle it, and so they end up having romantic relations with their fathers.
Speaker 3: Often does that.
Speaker 1: It happened like three or four times.
Speaker 4: I think it's also happened like three or four times. Ever, I know, I know, like that's specific of like I do not know this man. There's something here that I yes, this familiarity that's turned romantic bizarre.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so well, they're all sick, they're all sick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, that is when you are figuring it all out, Like when it's like you're you're you do such a great job. Like I really feel for you in that scene when you're like, great, so not only did my wife cheat on me, but like my daughter's not mine? Like your your face is really going through all of it, and like your eyes are welling up. Like do you like have like a sad memory you tap into or like what's your how do you get there with the tears and the like?
Speaker 4: I mean for me, it's it's it's really about uh, you know, feeling that character and if if at some point it attaches to you know, to something that you feel that's already there, that's yours, there has to be some sort of I don't even know how to describe it, really, but some sort of symbiosis. But between those two things where where your memory comes into the way that you feel about the character and it just sort of happens. But it was enough for me to to empathize with this guy whose entire life, entire life is gone and he's left completely hollow in a police station in New York and has to drive back to I think that I think they're The bit in the in the show is that they're they're from out of town.
Speaker 1: They're from Philadelphia, They're from Beaver Creek, I think is what the name of the.
Speaker 3: Pennsylvania or up state or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so so, yeah, he's got to drive back to Beaver Creek, uh and think about a few things. So for me, it was, yeah, it was, it was there, and it's it's it's it's there. If you're fortunate enough to have you know, a good writing and as I mentioned, incredible actors around you, then it makes it much easier to access that stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't even think about, yeah, you have to drive home to beaver Town in your head. Does your character stay with his wife or pieces out?
Speaker 3: I think he.
Speaker 4: I think he goes out on his own for like three weeks, gets an apartment, realizes she makes most of the money comes backward. She's like, yeah, okay, I'll take you back, but I still get to, you know, have this. Let's let's get into some polyamory. I'm bringing the music teacher into our situation, and uh and and yeah, my character is so just just so twisted at this point and lost that He's like okay, and then that gives way to like a sitcom where it's me and the music teacher, you know, sitting in the garage arguing over who drank the last you know, Hard Seltzer or whatever.
Speaker 1: Beaver Creek Thrupples coming to TLC.
Speaker 3: Yeah this fall.
Speaker 1: Where did you shoot the dump scenes? Yeah? We felt like you guys, you and went, You and your wife were showing up at every dump scene, Like there's just so many dump scenes, and it was like you being like, where's my daughter?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I remember that scene going like wow, did they get why are they here?
Speaker 3: Go home? Leave the cops alone?
Speaker 4: Because there was also I just remember there was like a long thing and they're, you know, they're shooting the shit out of it with like a you know, a steady cam and stuff. So it's like but we had to like trudge you know, like fifty yards just for them to go.
Speaker 3: Get out of here, you know, like leave.
Speaker 4: So I thought that was actually that sticks out of my mind as an interesting thing that those characters would do, like come on, honey, our life's get it on Google maps. No, just I have ways, Here's which dump is it?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 4: This would be fodder for the for the spinoff sitcom. We shot that in uh, I think it was Brooklyn. I think it was a some watery area.
Speaker 1: It was supposed to be red Hook, So maybe that's really where you did it in red Hook.
Speaker 3: It might have been, yeah, yeah, yeah, it might have been.
Speaker 1: How do you remember all the locations, Kara? I just remember the guy selling meat out of his car in Red Hook at a point. Okay, I'm thinking that sounded pretty gross. Damn. So we did stalk you a little and on IMDb.
Speaker 2: I don't know if this is like it says you have you grew up with an unhealthy relationship with family television.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I don't.
Speaker 2: Know what that because I I was. I grew up a very big TV watcher, still am to this day.
Speaker 1: So I was.
Speaker 2: Wondering, like, what your TV relationship has been through your life?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, as a kid, I was just obsessed with television, film, and I wanted to be an actor and all that stuff. So and I have an older brother and sister, who are you know there there are enough years above me that that the stuff they're watching is not the stuff I want to watch. So I was kind of, you know, I was I was sort of checking out stuff that where I was like, huh, why are what Why do you guys think mash is funny? Let's watch the Muppet Show? But I watched everything and I was just you know, obsessed with the with television and and the business behind it, and yeah, just just that whole, that whole world. And you know, I wanted to be an actor and do all that.
Speaker 1: Prep Do you think about that a lot?
Speaker 2: I always do that where I'm like, my teenage self would fucking die so many of the things that I do. And I'm sure with your like you've been working for dec I mean, you've really made your childhood dream come true.
Speaker 1: You're on the.
Speaker 4: Side, no I And to this point, no one has figured out that I have absolutely no talent. So yeah, I feel I do feel extremely fortunate to even be in the business. And furthermore, I kinda yeah, I've been fortunate enough to be around for a while and got started when I was young, so you know, I got to be on TV, you know, back in the in the nineties when it was still kind of the medium TV or film and and before the Internet and stuff, and yeah, it's it's it's mind blowing that I'm even in the in the business still. And I say that partly because it just is, and I consider myself to be very lucky. And the other part of it is the industry is so different now. I mean a lot of the guys that I looked up to, those those careers don't really even exist anymore. You know, you'll see someone uh you know who's like a big a big deal act or whatever another and they're hosting game shows at the same time, and you you wouldn't be able to do that.
Speaker 3: Back in the day.
Speaker 4: It would be like, oh, you're not serious about being an actor. And now it's like, no, you can do all that and you know, show up on you know, in a Logan Paul video or something too, like nothing absolutely nothing matters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well yeah.
Speaker 2: It used to be like I can't believe they they're they're sellouts. And now it's like fuck yeah, cell Tide.
Speaker 3: Like everything.
Speaker 2: No one is mad at commercials. It used to be like an uncool thing, and now you're like, yeah, make your money, sure.
Speaker 4: And now you have like Jimmy Fallon in Paris Hilton sitting down to plug their new NFTs. Yeah, and it's like, what the fuck are we doing?
Speaker 1: We're in a simulation.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, yes, yes we are.
Speaker 1: I know we both also have grown up watching you on Mad TV and I'm sure like people are screaming impressions of you on the street of Mad TV. But we're also big, drop dead gorgeous fans.
Speaker 3: Oh cool, like.
Speaker 1: Classic class shocked that like decades later, people were like rejoicing when it was on Hulu. I remember the moment.
Speaker 2: I was at my friend's house we saw it on streaming and it was like a huge day in my social media and world.
Speaker 4: I mean, people love that movie so and yeah, I realized when it when it was streaming, I was like, good on them for like just share, you know. I mean, look, that movie would not fly today. It just wouldn't for about one hundred reasons. Yeah, in the movie. So me personally, it's like if it was made, if everyone in a shared society is like, yeah, that's the movie and it's out in the movie theaters, then we should be able to continue to watch it and then think what we think about it, have discussions about it, talk about what's different. That's all good and things have changed and that's fine, and there's no way to say, hey, you know, we should still be able to do this and that because there's other other people have opinions. Having said that, I can't believe that that movie is streaming, and I can't believe that it's not twenty minutes long because I can't believe they didn't cut everything out. And I can't believe I played that role. And I can't believe it when people come up to me and talk to me about that movie, I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it existed in like this one moment bubble, and we refuse to let it go in our hearts and minds.
Speaker 3: I'm stoked that people still dig it.
Speaker 4: I just watched and actually talked about this on a thing, But I just watched Son in Law, the movie Yea Polly Shor and Carla Gugino in Southern in Sun and Law, and there's like all of the tropes. I mean, that's a nineteen ninety three movie, but there's all the tropes that, of course the eighties bled into the nineties in you know, just culturally, and there's a lot of stuff where it's like, well, well hold on.
Speaker 3: I think.
Speaker 4: I think the two three of these characters the movies ten minutes Old three three characters of sexually harassed, legitimately sexually harassed Carlo Gugino. There's like there's always like a barnyard coercion scene of like you're going off to college, it's going to be three months till I see again at Thanksgiving and stuff like that that you used to just sort of sit there and watch and eat popcorn and not glean anything from it. And like I said, look, that movie's that movie, and we should talk and have different conversations about it, which is fine, but holy shit, everything is everything that we are in a simulation?
Speaker 3: Man?
Speaker 2: Well, because even SVU, like they're so ahead of their time on so many important issues, and I think they brought a lot of stuff to the forefront. But even earlier episodes, you're like, we would never speak the way these detectives are speaking, and they're trying to do such positive programming, and it's still like so dated and a lot of.
Speaker 3: Time is a time is a is a bizarre thing? Is it not? My goodness? Seventy one years old?
Speaker 1: Will you tell us about your podcast? I was, we were reading about it and it's like got an interesting twist to it, right an angle.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm doing a new podcast with my good buddy Chad Colchin, who's a writer television film and he's also an author who has a new book out called How to Win the Bat.
Speaker 1: Oh Cool.
Speaker 4: Him and his friend Lizzie Price have a podcast called Game of Roses and they break down the Bachelor like it's a sport essentially, and you know, they they refer to them as as you know, almost athletes playing this game. Yeah, and there's different plays and this and that, and it's they've really stepped it out into an interesting thing, taking into account how the producers control the show and manipulate these quote unquote performers. Chad and I have been pals for like, you know, a long long time, and this podcast that we're doing now is called Dudsy and it's a very different podcast because it is run by artificial intelligence. We were contacted by a group that represents different entities in the space of AI, and there's an AI that was specific.
Speaker 2: To PODCA, the robot agents to these robots have agents.
Speaker 3: Robots have agents. Oh my gosh. Yeah, pretty much, that's one way to say it.
Speaker 4: And essentially this this podcast, AI is going to curate and run the show, give us prompts.
Speaker 3: It provides segments.
Speaker 4: It tells us to do this and that, and it does all of this based on having our It has our passwords to all of our social media, all of our text messages and emails, ones that Chad and I send each other and other ones. That has our purchase histories, our streaming histories, and it really has figured out quickly. We're on today, actually the fifth episode came out as we're recording this, and it is quickly sort of figured out, Well, here's how to mind comedy. And the dudez ai Is basically makes the claim that it can based on the podcast itself, based on comments that it finds that are meta tagged to it outside in the Internet abroad, it can essentially guarantee that each next episode will be better than the previous.
Speaker 3: I don't believe that's true.
Speaker 4: Why And I think, yeah, it's a very it's a very weird thing. But we've jumped into it and it's been fun so far. But yeah, dudesy, it's on all the podcast things.
Speaker 1: AI will see that you just bought a bunch of like weird soap or something on Amazon, and then it'll be like it'll be like, hey, why don't you guys talk about that or like what or how does it integrate into your conversation?
Speaker 4: Reviewing soap would be a good segment for the show. And now that I've said it out loud and I happen to be recording this on my iPhone to send to you guys, Dudsy will know all about that.
Speaker 2: Perhaps even dude, he's gonna be pissed you were talking shit about him.
Speaker 4: Totally, absolutely, but yeah, yeah, as a well, one example that we were we watched son in Law as an assignment. That's why I brought that up because I was just, like I said, I was just told to watch this thing. But yeah, Dudzi had had noticed that I watched it around a year ago, and Chad must have made some mention or reference to it. And it's like and then it's also taken into account the analytics of who our audience is and you know, like I mentioned, I'm in my mid forties, and it's like, you know, so's Chad. And it's like, well, here's sort of demographically like who's listening to the podcast. They want to hear you talk about this or that or the other thing. There's a bunch of weird challenges this week. After today's show. It it's provided this really bizarre video that we're supposed to watch every night before we go to sleep, and then right if we wake up with our dreams, like write down what our dreams are. And it looks like there's some subliminal stuff and the dude z logo keeps showing up and it's all it's nuts.
Speaker 3: Well yeah, yeah, it's weird, all right.
Speaker 1: So people can subscribe to dudez like wherever they get podcasts, it's like all over.
Speaker 4: Yeah it's dude with an s Y at the end du d E s Y And yeah we're at dudez pod show on Twitter and Instagram and soon TikTok or whatever I guess, but yeah, it's on YouTube and Spotify, Apple podcasts and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: God, how long did it take them to convince you to give up all your passwords and all your information to this robot or was it a quick ass?
Speaker 4: Well it actually, you know, it's funny. It's like all of our information is out there anyway for anyone who really knows how to get it and really wants to find it. So if you're in an encrypted bubble, it's safe enough. And there are protections of course, like everything is in the contract down to a tee. It was certainly a bit of a leap to do something like this, and but it seems, you know, it seems it's you know, it's it seems fine. I'm saying that now until it turns.
Speaker 1: On us and yeah, suddenly it's like a fingerful identity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, has it sucked with your behavior? Like are you about to do something? And then you're like, oh, dudez's watching or I'm.
Speaker 4: Doing that anyway because I feel like, you know, like around the house here, me and my me and my fiance have been like, you know, she'll start having a bizarre conversation with me about something going like I think we need to buy these Why are you talking like that? She's like, I just want to see if it'll come up on Instagram later.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah the test. Yeah, I've definitely done that. Well, we have a great SVU storyline for when you come back.
Speaker 2: So I hope our friends at SVU that listen, Yeah, like some inspo on your robot fucking life takeover evil Eric, Dudes, he's going to kill someone.
Speaker 4: Yeah, if they're not listening, then the dude zai will somehow get to them and hopefully infiltrate the writer's room and then stuff it'll just start typing on its own, like in wargames.
Speaker 1: War Games another great movie. That's a great one.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you just rocked our mind at the end of this.
Speaker 2: Yeah jeez, well I was going to bring up one thing, but this was so But you're a wrestling person.
Speaker 1: I saw.
Speaker 2: Is that another childhood dream of yours has kind of realized itself.
Speaker 3: I love professional wrestling. I have since I was a kid.
Speaker 4: I consider it to be a very layered and hard to understand art form for people who haven't paid attention to it since they were eight years old. It's extremely bizarre and kind of can't get enough of it, although a lot of it sucks nowadays. But that's a good thing about streaming. You can always go back to You can always just pretend it's nineteen ninety two and you're watching Brett Hart and mister Perfect Yeah face each other in the square circle.
Speaker 3: Now. Yeah, I've always just been a wrestling fan.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was just WrestleMania this past weekend.
Speaker 3: Right, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: And uh I yeah, I I now when I watch wrestling, it has to be like late at night, you know, long after my fiance has gone to sleep, and it's just me and my dog Lulio, fast forwarding through matches, going, I get it, this one sucks.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's so interesting.
Speaker 4: Really, we're all just tuning in for the outfits, the intros.
Speaker 1: That's the thing. Like we're both big real Housewives fans and I'm not a wrestling person, but my friend guy like does a whole or like I forget who it is. One of my friends is like, it's the same, Like they're all like housewives and wrestling is the same. It's the past drag.
Speaker 3: Ye, yes, yes, it is exactly the same.
Speaker 4: And I've I've I've watched by proxy a lot of uh Housewives of Beverly Hills and Housewives of Orange County and.
Speaker 3: Totally it's a work.
Speaker 4: As they say in the in wrestling, they call it a work, right, they say, kfab is keeping the illusion going, it's and it's a work.
Speaker 3: The audience is getting worked. I mentioned this to Molly, my fance.
Speaker 4: I'm like, as I we started watching, like the pandemic started, and she just started binging all of the Housewives stuff.
Speaker 3: And we'll still watch the new stuff and I'm like, this is they hate each other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they actually hate each other, but they have to work together.
Speaker 3: And then I'm like, how do they introduce these people? What happens?
Speaker 4: She's like, well, you know, they've they've they got this gal because this and that, and it's not really based on real life friendship, and then they just have We're going on a trip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the show, of course.
Speaker 4: I mean, and I think that audiences nowadays are savvy enough to know, of course they got these people together. They're making them go and hang out together. They're gonna yell at each other at brunch and and that stuff is real, but they still come back and do it the next day. Or even though these two have had this row, they're gonna still.
Speaker 1: Go on get on an airplane together, and go on vacation together.
Speaker 4: So it's like they're signing up for it, but it's it's real, but it's guided and but whatever it works, I'm always yeah, I'm always like wrapped up going what I can't believe she why would?
Speaker 1: And there's like there's always a heel, and like the heel changes in different parts of the season or different seasons, like you can be beloved one season, and then you have like a season where everyone hates you and I mean it sounds like wrestling to me.
Speaker 2: Absolutely robots Housewives. This episode has everything, Yeah, very completely.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, who knew that he was a Housewives fan? That really turned fun And I mean it was fun the whole time, but like you know, it ups the level when we get to talk about Housewives. Did you see the Beverly Hills train? I watched it, Yes, at your at your sigestion, it looks jam packed. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm really pumped. It's just great to have on film Erica going, I don't care about anybody but myself, Like she just is a cold blooded bitch and I hate her so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like she's doing zero pr spin like nothing to try to make herself look better. In all that. I don't she thinks she's done anything wrong. Yes, but you still can't just say fuck the victims, Like I mean, even if you're you know, you're just you were married to someone who did something wrong, you know, you've still got to be like, I'm sorry it happened anyway anyway, is right? What we learned from today's episode once again SVU trying to make people think that it's okay to not okay, but that many people are attracted to their fathers.
Speaker 2: They're biological. I think that happens. I think it's something that happens. You know, Will Did want the hardcore facts and we okay, I'm gonna google he right now. How often does what is it? Genetic sexual attraction?
Speaker 1: Sexual? I don't know if they have numbers. I don't feel like one in every one hundred thousand teenage girls wants to fuck their dad? Is genetics SEXU? How common is GSA?
Speaker 2: Is not incredibly common, but is SENA, but is seen among parents and adult children and between adult siblings. An adoption therapist says this in Virginia.
Speaker 1: What does she know? No, I bet she does a lot adoption.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they meet up later adoptees to reunite with lost parent risk genetic sexual attraction. I mean, maybe we need to do more of these episodes and we'll really get to the nitty gritty of this. Yeah, we'll find another one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what did I learn? Don't lie?
Speaker 2: I don't move town Like it is strange that she knew the mom knew this all along, but continued to that's like a lot of lies. Don't live with such big lies. It might ruin your life. Yeah, that is a good lesson. I really got something out of there. I struggled her twenty seconds, but I got it.
Speaker 1: I got the lesson. Lies will bury you and then slap you in the face. And I honestly don't really care how good at piano you are. You are not smarter than like everyone in the world, Like, you're not smarter than the cops, the media, your parents, Like we are gonna find you shacked up with your music teacher boyfriend in Austria, wherever you think you're going, We're gonna find you. But she did get close.
Speaker 2: She as it's for a teen she did good, like he is a dummy, but like for a teen she killed it to be honest, like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like she fully like at sixteen, she fully framed that guy, like the video of the car, like she did it cutting herself the bloody boa. Wow.
Speaker 2: She thinks she's gonna visit her bio daddy in jail. And do you think her and will Sasso will ever repair their relationship?
Speaker 1: Oh wow, that's a great question. I think she's definitely gonna visit biodaddy in jail for like a little while until she realizes he's never getting out, and then it's going to be like the romance is going to be over. But yeah, her and Will Sasso. I hope he's a fast marriage is well.
Speaker 2: Will gave his opinions on their marriage, but like, will they last?
Speaker 1: I don't know, And I don't know how you come back from something like that. It's pretty, that's pretty truma. That's a lot of trauma on trauma.
Speaker 2: Trauma, trama, trauma, just ruining all of our lives.
Speaker 1: But also I want to just tell teachers out there, I don't think SVU paints a good picture of what a field trip is going to be like in New York City. I think it's possible to just take kids to New York City and them to go to the moment and have a good time and then go home and nobody ends up dead or assaulted or having a shack up on Long Island with their music teacher slash dad.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I you know, my niece was just in New York. They had a great time, you know. They take them to ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty, baser appropriate.
Speaker 1: Maybe a musical maybe a little show today.
Speaker 2: I just read that the Japanese princess who gave up her crown she is volunteering at the Met.
Speaker 1: Wow, very Charlotte, very s she's a docent at the Met. Love it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god. And the drawings people make for us talented are.
Speaker 1: Did you get it? Did you get the one I left for you? Of course? Okay, okay, I just want to make sure you picked up your package. No, I picked up all the packages.
Speaker 2: But also we need to go to our our framers because I want that iced tea framed bitch.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that was great. That's from a Denver. That was from a Denver.
Speaker 2: But teacher, also, don't I just this is a lot to ask of society. Maybe, but when a grown teacher is massaging a teen, don't call her a slut?
Speaker 1: Is that a lesson? Is that something we don't know? Stop calling this.
Speaker 2: Child a slut and letting teachers massage people like fuck pedophiles everywhere. Our friend told us Julius said that Tennessee is like trying to pass the law where they're there's no age of consent. You could just marry children. I mean, it's like we can't Oklahoma. I mean yesterday I was paralyzed and I couldn't move because the weight of the world is too much.
Speaker 1: It's too much. Texas did dismiss charges against the woman who they were going to try to you know that they were arrested for inducing her own abortion.
Speaker 2: But then Oklahoma just signed a new bill. It's just like, it's uh, you know, we've said this before and it's from one of the child molester agents on the show. But it's a whackamle of disasters. Yeah, and you, yeah, Ukraine's fucked. The NYPD go fuck yourselves, Like, how dare you The cameras weren't working, your radios weren't working. You haven't even caught this motherfucking guy. What the fuck are you doing?
Speaker 1: And they're just gonna, yeah, they're just gonna say more and more money to the cops, more money to the cops when some big things like this happened. But were you at this point? We are talking about the shooting in the New York subway from a couple of weeks ago, in case you are, But yeah, yeah, the world is really heavy. But here we are trying to bring you a little bit of levity every week child. Can we saying that on Elise? Well, I thought that was a lovely little diddy Lisa, And speaking of let's segue into what would sister Peg do. This is our weekly segment of you Know, we give you guys an organization, a book, an article, something that can give you more information or guidance about something we talked about in today's episode, and we just wanted to direct your attention towards the Sexual Violence Prevention Association, that's the SVPA. It is a survivor led nonprofit that prevents sexual violence systematically by revolutionizing policy, research, and institutions. They advocate for legislation to prevent sexual violence, and they research effective prevention strategies, and they work with universities and workplace is to improve their practices preventing sexual violence. So overall just doing a great job, and we wanted to highlight them specifically because the April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month, and if you're interested in donating to SVPA in honor of Sexual Awareness Month, or I don't care if you're listening to this in three months, it's a good time to donate anytime. Please visit the link in our show notes and you can follow them on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter at SVPA official, and as always, all of our what would Sister peg Do organizations and resources are in our Instagram highlights under WWSPD.
Speaker 2: I was really taken by that, Cara it was.
Speaker 1: That was great. Thank you.
Speaker 2: Next week we will be doing the episode Intoxicated, Season six, episode nineteen. Wherever you SVU baby, and we'll see you soon.
Speaker 1: Bye.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an Exactly Right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email it That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow.
Speaker 1: Us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese. As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information. Thank you so much to our producer on Alis Nelson, and to our mixer John Bradley, and to.
Speaker 2: Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly gen Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karin Kilgareff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 2: Listen follow and leave us the review on Amazon Music, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 1: And don't forget. You can listen to new episodes one week early on Amazon Music, or early and ad free by subscribing to Wondry Plus in the Wondery app
Speaker 2: M