Speaker 1: Podcast starts. Now, what's up everyone? You are listening to Stradio Lab. We just had a beautiful lunch from Le.
Speaker 2: So here's my question for you. Uh Prette amage and which one is Danielle him? Which one is st? Him?
Speaker 1: And which one is You are starting out guns blazing, I'm I'm full up on bread and mozzarella, and you're saying which French fast casual restaurant is which Heim sister?
Speaker 2: I'm well, Brett is, Danielle is st? I think it's Alana? Really? What's the third one of bump Pan? Wait?
Speaker 1: Fuck?
Speaker 2: No, no, Prett Prett.
Speaker 1: I think Alta is prep because like she's more of the household name.
Speaker 2: Oh you think so? Yeah? And then is st Yeah, and pret is Wait no, Danielle pre bum Pan is not one of them?
Speaker 1: What it's prett?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: And is one of them? Yeah? Okay, go ahead, go ahead, this is really good radio.
Speaker 1: We are us fighting over which Yeah, Danielle okay, s Prett, Danielle, Alana, Alana?
Speaker 2: Okay? That was that? Sorry I did that.
Speaker 1: Well, it's okay. I think it's okay that you do that. It's just that you were sort of wrong and aggressive throughout you know, we said have the parameters, and then I was trying to work with the parameters in you that's not right.
Speaker 2: It actually broke my brain so much. I kept I kept thinking of them. Penna is not one of them, and yet it was. It was the whole time. Isn't there a different one? I mean, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: There's a different one. Yeah, but that's the one we were working That's.
Speaker 2: The one we were working with. Yeah, okay, okay, Jo Juice U Jomba Juice, Joe and the Juice, Joe and the Juice, And what's the other one. I love this, by the way, this is the best podcasting I've ever done my life. No, we can't, we can't. I'm sorry. I'm going to own up to this. Okay, which time, sister is It is my game that I came up with, and I'm officially calling it a flop. I think it officially is not a good game. I will own up to it in the same way that I owned up to when I tried to get Fabulosa fury Road trending. Well that was fun, Okay, So obviously it's when someone looks fab you say you look Fabulosa Fury Road. I it has not. I've not gotten a trending. I've not gotten anyone else to say it except me, and I have to just own up to the fact that that is the same with the hind Game. And maybe it can just be my private inside joke with myself or with my friend Sam, but we have to we have to accept when something isn't working.
Speaker 1: I think Fabulosa Fury Road isn't It's not your fault.
Speaker 2: It doesn't work, Okay.
Speaker 1: I think it's the fault of the filmmakers. Yeah, Furiosa because it wasn't a big enough hit. I think it doesn't have the cultural weight it needs to happen.
Speaker 2: If Furiosa was a bigger hit Fabulosa fuor Road, every announcer on E News when they're interviewing people on the carpet would say, Okay, she looks fabulous to Fury Road, let's look into the Fabulosa cam and let's get that shot of you mama. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But unfortunately it did not reach those hypes. Okay, I see, And so that's not your fault.
Speaker 2: Okay, time is my fault.
Speaker 1: Maybe I'm we need to unpack what it's not working about him. For me, I think what's not working about him is that like there's almost something about the game that's just like too simple. Yeah, Like Heim is like, yeah, it's like which one's the weird one, which one's the the film one, and which one's the brains?
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and.
Speaker 1: So it's just sort of like too one to one, there's not much wonder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're right, it's true. And also none of them are really like an insult. Like if you're doing fuck Mary kill when you get to kill, that's a shocker. If I'm saying I'm killing Obumpan, that means I you know, they're they're writing me a season desist letter.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But if I'm saying album pen is st him, They're like, okay, okay, weird, quirky.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I think it's tough. I Also, this is something I've been wondering and I wonder this almost every day, which is is our worldview. We think it's so big when actually it's small. Do people care about Heim in the way that we do?
Speaker 2: This is such a larger question. I mean, I do think people care about him. As we've said, they are the A twenty four music so I think the same. I think people care about how in the way that people care about an eight twenty four movie. Sure, so, like just like people we know, we know? Yeah, yeah, okay, But I also think do you think moms know about him? No? I think moms know about Chapel.
Speaker 1: Moms know about Chapel. I think music dads know about how.
Speaker 2: Yeah, music dads know about her.
Speaker 1: Music dads know how.
Speaker 2: And they love Billie Eilish.
Speaker 1: They love to love Billy Iilay music dad's love to love Billy Eilish. Yeah, I hmm, okay, if they're a twenty four, I'm like, yeah, who's Neon?
Speaker 2: Is Charlie xx Neon? Yes? Because I know her movie is a twenty four. Well, it's not literal George of course, of course, it's like how Chapel. Yes, well, and she's a but you were gonna ask something, yeah, but then I forgot Okay.
Speaker 1: But she's the onn incense that she also like swept the Oscars this year. Yeah, and you're expect every.
Speaker 2: Year you're like twenty four, but it's always should we bring our guests?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I feel like this intro is like one of our more flop what Yeah, I'm gonna say it. And and for that I apologize to our guests.
Speaker 2: I just want to say I'm having the time of my life and I'm embracing my flop era as Jamila Jamila one said, welcome, John Marcosires.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 3: I know I just felt stupid. I felt culturally, uh a destitute. I know I couldn't tell you I'm sister's song. I've seen picture of them to our dating now.
Speaker 2: The sisters sisters, who's the boy genius are dating?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: You see, I don't, it's all a blur.
Speaker 2: I'm actually so happy you're here. Actually I am happier here.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Actually, I'm so happier here because we were just talking about how you're a touring comedian that is all around this great country road. So you're the perfect person to tell us how many people know how in your experience, and I actually would love for you, Sorry to cut you off, No, I would love for you for I would say the next calendar year of your tour to mention how I'm at every show of yours and start collecting some data.
Speaker 3: I think, in general, comedically, references don't work on the road the way they used to because we're so fractured as a country period. So you will sooner see comedians reference Rainforest Cafe, yes before La Pen. You know, I can't do that in Wilmington, North Carolina. They've never heard of that. And like truly comedically, unless you build up like a niche audience, you cannot have those. Even even Sebastian Man of Scalco, Like, so that's the number one most paid touring comedian in the country right now or last year, you cannot use that as a reference. Seinfeld you can. And so that's just that's so interesting, it is, I mean, it just it limits the ability to reference in a way that like you know, Twitter or something else would allow you.
Speaker 1: To in your experience. What year to culture stop?
Speaker 3: God Like, right where I started getting into the arts, I have the culture.
Speaker 2: I feel the exact same way. We sort of are like in the sinking ship of the Titanic and we're trying to reference.
Speaker 1: We're trying to reference time. We're trying to pretend that we can talk about. But what you're saying is so true and it's scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you know my big idea, well, this is like my big my big joke is we need a nationwide it needs to be a top down government mandated. This is the new thing everyone's talking about, Like, isn't.
Speaker 3: That what Obama's playlist was trying to be? Essentially? You know what, though, it's not that I loved when he didn't have he didn't have Beyonce's album and then he like issued a correction like, oops, I forgot.
Speaker 2: Okay, here's a question for you. The concept of Obama's playlists is that something people would recognize around the country. Oh, that's a great question.
Speaker 3: I mean it depends where you're in the country. Some people would boo that list, they avoid.
Speaker 2: They would know it exists.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think so. I don't think so.
Speaker 2: First for me, Obama Obama's play is just such a thing that like everyone makes fun of every year. Or it's like if you're an artist or if you're like a novelist, even it makes a huge difference to be on his book list.
Speaker 3: They would still the reference you would still use even if it doesn't exist anymore. Is over the book club?
Speaker 2: Yes, no, maybe, Okay.
Speaker 1: Trying to road friendly references is like one of the darker things you've never done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so funny.
Speaker 3: It's it's the same with with politics. It's like, yeah, it's gotta be someone we've known since the night.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, here's cute.
Speaker 1: So if you're like doing a joke that has like Timothy Chalamer's reference, does that work or do you have to stay it?
Speaker 2: Would?
Speaker 3: It would probably work, but certain parts. First of all, like I have enough of a fan base now that I think, yes, okay, my particular fan base, but like and well you're figuring out probably not wow, probably not. You know, I'd love I I thought it would be so fun. I have like a musical theatery playlist, and I slipped in the penis of Vaginas song from Amelia Perez. Yes, And I think most people are going, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 2: Jamarco. I can confirm that that's what's happening because I have tried to make Amelia Perez happen for so long. My favorite thing. I don't know if you've seen the film, but I have. Her cat phrase is bingo, and I am obsessed with trying to make that the new Fabulosa fiy road. And specifically, when Zebesdonia recognized her at the Big Dinner party, she's like edisto and then and then Amelia goes Bingo and she like whispers it really she's an amazing performer in a really really compelling way. And I think it's so funny. And no one knows about it because guess what, no one has seen to me the press. And also no one even knows that Carlos fiegoskn was canceled. That is something only we know because we're on Twitter.
Speaker 3: That's true too. Whenever someone gets in trouble son Is, You're like, there's people who know, they have no idea there, there are people seeing Crystalalia still going and they go, what happened? I mean, that's truly, that's literally happening. I think I wish Amelia Perez it really was. I mean it was disastrous, but like it was a it was a fascinating I mean the twists and turns. Oh yeah, I would love that to be whatever Rocky Horror is like like just a real like your or the Room totally. You could totally watch it with friends. I'm so happy I watch it with my girlfriend. It was so fun.
Speaker 2: It was fun.
Speaker 1: No, I agree, it's so I do think it needs to be reordered, though, I was pretty disappointed that the penis Vagina song comes so early. I thought that was gonna be like the climax song. Yeah, I really, I at least needed it to come back. Maybe it's sort of a reprise. I thought that would have been nice.
Speaker 3: Know they there are some characters that you would think, oh, this is a new main character, I guess, and no, you will never hear from them again.
Speaker 2: It's more of a sketch show.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah, this actually really scares me. When I learned that people in other places don't know everything that I know, it really freaks me out.
Speaker 2: You know what. You know, what would be an incredibly difficult job for that very reason is, for example, hosting the Oscars because you are It used to be that Billy Crystal would reference you know, Shakespeare in Love and every single person would understand at least the basics of what he's referencing. If you are who, if you're Conan and you're referencing Amelia Perez or God Forbid, I'm not I'm still here, the Brazilian film. Yeah no, there's no who's going to get that. Not God Forbid, the Brazilian film.
Speaker 1: I'm just like, but it's almost it almost becomes like a political conversation where you're like, Okay, do we go to the center and reference stuff from five years ago or do we push forward?
Speaker 3: Because if you want to win or not exactly comic or politics, do.
Speaker 2: You then find yourself in the position of being like I want to reference on the hurt. They don't know what it is. Yeah, yeah, I know, I know, Like they don't know what it is. I want to reference it. So then you find yourself for ten minutes explaining what it is for the sake of lift.
Speaker 3: Like I remember, like I I had something about living in Harlem, and like, you know, for some of the harm jokes, you have to establish that this was like a predominantly black neighborhood, and like you can't go to the whole history, but you try to come up with like one or two lines that captured, hopefully with a joke, and then move on. So you have to like try to you know, it's Sonny's References a TV show. I have a bit where I talk about I'm really trying to talk about how I'm not allowed to take off my shirt and soul Cycle, and again it's like so many things I have to establish. Not everyone knows what spin is, now knows what soul cycle is now everyone understands that in some workout spaces you can't take off your shirt, and this one you sweat a lot, and it's mostly women, and it's like there's all sorts of contexts you have to set up. So I'm working on that.
Speaker 2: It is the most coastal, like coastal sort of like metrosexual man. Problem not to call you metrosexual, to be like touring and be like I want to do a joke about soul cycle, but no one knows what soul cycle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but I have to establish it for people who don't understand any of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's spin.
Speaker 3: Where did metrosexual? The term felt like it this disappeared to talk.
Speaker 2: About something that you can reference because it was the last dregs of monoculture. When people talk, we're talking about metrosexual.
Speaker 3: But I don't know if I would where ASMI as because metrosexual seem more like obsessed with appearance and looks.
Speaker 2: I don't think you're a metrosexual. I was trying to find like the right word for like whatever coastal sort of like liberal man who takes care of himself, who would go to sult I.
Speaker 3: Wanted to like start referring to it myself as a fop, like a fop like, oh oh, who's the playwright? He Oscar while yeah, he would have a fop character and it always was like the flamboyant character. But in his plays it normally it wasn't necessarily the gay character.
Speaker 2: It was it's like a dandy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, dandy. But still even that, like there's something about like appearance that I don't fit. That's not one of the things that is uh feminine about me?
Speaker 1: What what would you say?
Speaker 3: Is my my movement, my my mannerism's my.
Speaker 2: A musical theater of musical theater of it all, the wanting to be.
Speaker 3: Like, uh, some show fabulous in a way, but it doesn't. It doesn't translate to clothes. I've had to work hard to like trust better, I've uh, it doesn't translate. I'm not a huge like Camp.
Speaker 2: Guy, You're like you like a sincerity I do.
Speaker 3: I'm more I lean towards the musical theater of it all, but like Camp, it's always like it's just too much for me. I can admire it from Afar.
Speaker 2: But I'm not obsessed with it.
Speaker 3: But I love Liza Minelli and Cabaret like I get, I'm like, oh, and I want to be you or and admire you and every and also make love to you too. It's the full spectrum of Wow.
Speaker 2: I do sort of think straight men who are into musical theater might save like if our actually I was I was going to say the most shocking thing ever, which is if we had a straight male president was into musical theater, guess what we do that His biggest dream was to be a musical theater producer, Like, is that true?
Speaker 3: It? He like loves musical theater. He loves cats, He loves cats. He wants to bring cats to the Kennedy Center.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no idea, he loves But you saw like.
Speaker 3: They made fun of him at the RNC came out and it was light bulbs of Trump, and they compared it to Roxy in Chicago. It's a showman. But there's so much about anyone in politics. You know, they're all wearing so much makeup. You know it might be different makeup and highlighting different things, but his makeup sometimes you see it and you go, it is crazy that we move past this. Why is it ending so brutally at the ears?
Speaker 2: No, I do think that was talk about normalization. It's like when the makeup was normalized while the policies come next.
Speaker 1: Well, but also if we all, if we keep talking about the makeup, then people are going to make fun of us. We're talking about the makeup, yes, yes, yes, here and be like, why would you care about the makeup when all the stuff is.
Speaker 3: Happening they want to There's just something where I go, like, I think some people, if they have a way to artistically express themselves, they become a little nicer. Or I think I think there's like, you know, pent up sexual attention. I think there's like pent up artistic expression, absolutely, and it comes out and like.
Speaker 2: We need to go back. Yeah. Well, you know people have said that his version of like Hitler being a failed artist is being a failed Broadway producer. Like it's like if only they had let him, do you know Trump the musical of course Trump with a t.
Speaker 3: Look at George Bush. He did all the war crimes and now he's a paint exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe that'll be his third act, you know, after you know, the entire world is burned to bits, he'll erect his own theater and put up cats.
Speaker 3: I think that's what like, I think That's one of the things with like AI at the AI art, which is like, again talk about a conversation that like online online everyone goes like this is terrible if you're making an AI right now. It's really I keep seeing on Instagram people make themselves an action figure or whatever, and online on Twitter at least, it's like, this is vile. If you do this, kill yourself. And then I go and I look at normal people who go outside and read books, and they're all making an action figure themselves because it's just cool little thing to do online.
Speaker 2: That is the That's such a perfect example.
Speaker 1: We've been we've been in countering this a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's literally such a tiny niche opinion that it's quote unquote evil, which to be clear, I agree with.
Speaker 1: But it is.
Speaker 2: It is literally like it's the equivalent of I don't even know, like debating who is gonna win some obscure prize in literature, or like to think that chat GBT is the average person just uses it to right emails.
Speaker 3: But it's also the obsession with like thinking that art is always about the product, yes, and like you know, we do it as a business, so it is involved in the product because we're ultimately selling it, but for so many people it's like, no, the art is the process of doing it, and going to quote Sondheim, look I made a hat where there never was a hat. It's like it's like sometimes people come to shows and they draw me while I'm on stage and they show it and it's like that's just for them. Yeah, and it's hard time. It's for me to think about it because every time I mix something I do a dude, I'm like, we gotta put this system. You gotta make a TV shirt of this. Merch merch, merch. But like that's that's the illusion of ais. They go like, well, look we can make the product without the work, and it's like, no, the work is the whole fucking thing for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, brother, the a I said is such a bummer in a way that I'm like I don't even know where to go from there.
Speaker 2: I find it like it'll die.
Speaker 3: It'll like they'll make it so you can you can make the Office but instead of Dwight's played by Gabriel Iglesias, and you can make it and you'll be like your dad will be like I have made this, and you're like I'm not gonna watch it. Everyone will make their own thing and no one will care, and we'll realize that so much of artists, that we're all collectively looking at one thing. I hate everyone's talking about how the pit is like they're enjoying it being it weekly. I hate seasons that drop all at once. I lose it and people always go, I actually like it, and I go, yeah, you like eating cake for breakfast, and then you wonder why life, why every meal is boring you? You don't know what you want. And it's the same thing with like, yeah, you could make you can make a TV show where the office animated to look like they're powerpuff Girls, but it's like, who cares. It's about the cultural We all agree to look at this one thing, and someone's curated that one thing. So I do think it will destroy itself to a degree.
Speaker 1: You have to hope. I hope it takes on social media with it, and I think it might.
Speaker 3: Or all film and TV and we go back to theater, and we all go back to theater.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I mean, theater is the only answer.
Speaker 1: I mean, honestly, kind of, I've actually been having so much fun with stand up again and I don't know why, but I've been like, oh, finally people are together.
Speaker 2: I went to a play recently and shout out the deep blue sound at the public and the final line made me start crying, and then I couldn't stop crying. And I was like, I think this is my pent up. This is literally what being on Instagram all day. All my emotions are suppressed because all I'm doing is being kind of angry at some random gay guy all day every day. And then it's like one sentence that has emotional resonance, which if I was just like a normal person going to the theater all the time, it would be like okay, well, moving on, like time for the area. And I hear one sentence has emotional residence and I'm like literally breaking down.
Speaker 1: What was the sentence? I've gotta know I'm not gonna ruin the fight. Oh, I guess that's true.
Speaker 3: It was what I saw play with with my girlfriend recently, and it was like there was a couple fighting and the guy said to the woman like, I've.
Speaker 2: Understood you, but you ever understand me?
Speaker 3: And I was like wow. My girlfriend looked at me like excuse me, and I didn't I wasn't doing it on purpose, but I felt I was like, mm.
Speaker 2: I mean, you just get a directness whatever. Live performances is all we have, is basically sure.
Speaker 3: But I did see a I saw a Broadway show that I paid way too much for and I felt scammed, and I feel I felt a new found no fuck the theater actually.
Speaker 2: But it was my fact that's Broadway though, like Broadway, there's something the Broadway is literally Trumpian, like Broadway is like for the literal zero point one percent, the people making it are so completely out of touch.
Speaker 3: I felt for it. I felt for him. But I saw I paid a lot to see Augie McDonald and Gypsy, and I I that was incredible. I really at the when she's loosened and at the end, I mean she was just bearing it all. And I it was a close. I came to really sobbing in the theater, just like, wow.
Speaker 2: You know those I just saw Burns at Peters in the Sondheim review.
Speaker 3: Oh how was it?
Speaker 2: And I mean, listen, it's ultimately like cruise ship vibes, but the but the but Bernadette is still Bernadette. Yeah, it's like yes, it's like basically you know, people like bringing out one like Barber's chair and doing a song from Sweet Todd and then it leaves it and they got like a top hat and do another like it's did.
Speaker 3: She do not as Day goes by?
Speaker 2: She did not go by? But she also did.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I can't you're out gigging podcast. I can't contribute at all, not at all, not even.
Speaker 2: A little sam isn't.
Speaker 3: William Finn died recently. That broke my heart. I cried about that.
Speaker 2: Never heard that name of This is my first time hearing that.
Speaker 3: I actually think we can talk about football after this, but talk about musical theater references because I have to do those on stage.
Speaker 2: Okay, So like what Bernadette like doing musical theater, I had. I had a bit that.
Speaker 3: Would reference Liza Minelli and like it would generally it would yeah, they do, but like younger people go oh from Arrested Development and you go no from Fossy and then like I changed it to Liam Michelle for one thing, and they all know that they know Liam Michelle from Glee. They from Glee and like, but cats, I have a joke that ended up using cats and people knew that well enough, little shop they know, but you find out pretty quick and a lot of musicals don't. Don't pierce that.
Speaker 2: I mean, Hamilton, what would you say, as someone who's not a musical person, what musicals bring to mind? Like distinct what musicals do I know?
Speaker 1: Basically, Yeah, it's like West Side Story, basically ones of their famous movies, West Side Story, Chicago. Sound of Music, Yeah, yeah, that's pretty much.
Speaker 3: Those are old. Yeah, Sound of Music is so old.
Speaker 2: Damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I do wonder, you know, looking back fifty years from now, what stuff from the twenty tens will have become canonized, you know what I mean? Like, what will be the sound of me? What will be something that someone can confidently reference?
Speaker 1: It's hard to tell, like right now, literally, I'm like I can only think of like Goga and Katy Perry as like, yeah.
Speaker 2: For example, is the Sunken Place from get Out? Is that going to be something that's interest as a concept, Like people will still be saying that in the way that we say, oh God, like some I don't know, reference from a sixties movie like Singing in the Rain or something, you know, like.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, that one sounds like that's the but I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't think if you ask my mom, what's the sunken place from get out?
Speaker 2: Yeah, total, I don't think she knows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she's on her way out of here.
Speaker 2: It's the younger ones we're talking about. Okay. Our first segment is called straight and in this segment, we test your familiarity with and complicity in straight culture by asking you a series of rapid fire questions where you have to choose one thing or another thing. You have to go with your gut, and the one rule is you can't ask any follow up questions about how the game works.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, wait, sorry, I uh oh Jesus, say what you said again?
Speaker 2: That's a followup question.
Speaker 1: It okay, okay, just go okay, Lona del Ray or what you say?
Speaker 3: What you say?
Speaker 2: Singing in the rain or putting on the.
Speaker 1: Reds singing in the rain, a Trump impression or a Rump inspection Trump.
Speaker 2: Impression, insider trading or outsider.
Speaker 3: Art insider trading, Honey, I'm home.
Speaker 1: Or yummy a bone that's from the perspective of a dog.
Speaker 3: Yummy a bone.
Speaker 2: It's not right, but it's okay. Or getting a full bright because you are gay, Getting a full bright because you were gay.
Speaker 1: Bernie Sanders at Coachella, or learning Spanish as a fella.
Speaker 3: Bernie Sanders is at Coachella.
Speaker 2: Being proficient in Excel or being carbon efficient take that shell.
Speaker 3: Being proficient in excel.
Speaker 1: Wow. So we rate our guests currently on a scale of one to one thousand blades of grass.
Speaker 2: It's named after Lady Gaga song which is just called one. Okay. I would say, okay, I think you gave an amazing performance. I think the thinking, your performance of thinking was really I would say theatrical. I would argue, as well, you took did you take off your glasses during.
Speaker 3: I think so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's what we would call a reveal. Yes, he said, this is a visual the visual medium, so my cameras are on. I would definitely add a few points for that. Yeah, I definitely think it is above eight hundred.
Speaker 1: I'm going to say nine hundred and one.
Speaker 2: Who maulation, Thank you very question.
Speaker 3: I told my girlfriend, I said, if I don't get above nine hundred, I'm gonna walk right out. It used to bekin of your teeth. Yeah, I want to see that. I want to see Lady Gaga. I don't see a lot of concerts. I'm not a concert guy, but but I'm like, I'm like, I have the means and the resources. I want to see Lady Gaga no matter what on this tour.
Speaker 2: You know you're not going to be disappointed.
Speaker 1: You're not disappointed.
Speaker 3: I need the dancing. I need some dancing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's sort of the only one still doing it.
Speaker 3: No, I saw good concert when I was a kid, Like that's when I saw I saw Spice Girls, I saw Janet Jackson, I saw Pretty Spears early, like like the school desks, school desks. No, I mean I do have sisters, but that I was the one leading the charge.
Speaker 2: Because I'm like, but this is your musical theater.
Speaker 1: My question is more like socially, like, were you not afraid of being made fun of for that?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't know, like people's interest. They were all lame. It was just like a boring private school. So there was no real bullying. I saw Spice Girls in second grade, and I think there was just too young. People weren't like bullying based on straight or gay quite yet. But I went on a date in second grade with there was a girl I had a crush on, Oh my god, and her parents were like horrified. They didn't know because it wasn't yet like inappropriate because we were second graders. But then they went with my dad who was like dating someone which you know, was not part of their worldview, and she the rule was she had to leave by ten pm or we had to get home by ten or something. We left as the Spice Girls started the show because they were two hours late, of course, and I bowled, I cried and I wept because we left the concert as it started because we had to get her home in time.
Speaker 1: I'm shocked that you didn't have any shame, to be honest, like.
Speaker 3: In second grade, I fully feel like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my second grade, I was like, no, I agree. I knew what boys liked and what girls liked, and I knew I had to be on the boy side.
Speaker 2: But this is actually think something I mean, I don't know you that well, but I feel like this is something that is very charming about you. Is like the musical theater, Like you do just like have interests in performance and in theater and yeah or whatever, but it does not like.
Speaker 3: My dad didn't have super masculine views though, like he doesn't like musical theater, but he was of the disco era, and I definitely think like that was a real we're just all touching it. I mean he was a hippie and disco, so there was a lot okay, So I I think he just never I was into wrestling, which felt very you know, just everyone's wearing nothing and you're into other sports. No, I was terrible at sports. I mean we watched football, but I never like was good at them or like them. I so I never had the pressure from my father. And in second grade, some guys liked sports, some guys like Star Wars, but it wasn't it hadn't coalesced yet into being a weird to a Potomac Maryland near Bethesda, okay and not far from DC Okay. So I just must have looked out. I imagine there's I just lucked out in terms of my grade, not being particularly like dude.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean sometimes sometimes you look out because I would always mask anything I liked in my sister.
Speaker 2: But but the thing is, like you you had something to hide.
Speaker 3: My sisters and I with Spice Girls. They sold like little booklets at like Barnes and Nobles, and for one for each Spice Girl, and like we all got one and my favorite was baby, and my sister Victoria liked Posh because they were similar to not just their name. And then my other sister was sporty. And it was like, maybe it's because I had sisters and they didn't give me shit for it or you know, they were half so I saw them half the time, so they didn't have time to establish things. But I just kind of fit in with them. I watched that Spice movie. I had the VHS and there's something I don't know, but like the girl Power. I would be heicy Mota and I'd kick and I do that. It was just just what it was. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that movie is the damn hit.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it's Alan Comming. Yeah, so early Allen Comming.
Speaker 1: I mean there's alt bits in there that is an alt.
Speaker 3: With the tour bus and it jumps over the bridge.
Speaker 2: Come on, it's fun.
Speaker 3: Does it hold up? Is it fun?
Speaker 1: I watched it maybe three years ago. The bits are still funny, but it's longer than you expect.
Speaker 3: And you're like, huh, the alien does the alien touch her boob?
Speaker 2: You see?
Speaker 3: But that's like, to me, that's a heterosexual moment. That they gave to me and I said, hey, I like that part.
Speaker 1: Okay, everybody gets a little early. Yeah, should we do the topic?
Speaker 3: Let's do it.
Speaker 1: Please tell us what the straight topic is today and what is straight about it?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 3: Weightlifting? We're talk about weightlifting. It's something I've I've dabbled in and it definitely feels like a mix. What are those territories where it's like, it's it straight, but it's but it's but it's gay. It feels like a real but it feels like a lot of guys go into weightlifting, Like this is a straight space, absolutely, but I think a lot of times straight men are looking for like a way that they can be physical with each other that feels safe from being in weightlifting. Is that spotting?
Speaker 2: Please? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Please?
Speaker 1: Well, I agree, I think it is a very straight space. And honestly, spotting is where I'm I'm I'm out. Like when someone's like, can you spot me, I'm.
Speaker 3: Like no, no, no, no, no, no no no no, no, oh my god, the bars falling out, no no no no no.
Speaker 1: When they asked me to stand there, I'm like, you don't understand, Like I'm faking, but I don't.
Speaker 2: This is the difference between the straight lifting and gay lift. Like, I do think there's something very individualistic about the way gay guys do it, which is like, tell me, this is my time to make myself hotter so that I can go to Fire Island. Yes, And then for straight guys, they're all like having such a good time and are there together and are like, you know, sharing tips online, yeah, podcasts.
Speaker 3: I went to Fire Island for a day. Jay Jorden brought me around.
Speaker 2: He was like, look the gym.
Speaker 3: Upon arrival was the funniest thing I've ever seen in my life. Just the idea of like some last minute cramming before you go to the parties, and like it's not it doesn't smell great, it's and it's like a rough if you're going on that treadmill, just go back to Manhattan, Like you're not solving it on that treadmill for thirty minutes, and it just it was just awful conditions to work out. I would have to be so so desperate.
Speaker 1: Well, when you're there for a week, sometimes you gotta pop in for a minute.
Speaker 3: You've done that, You've popped in.
Speaker 1: Last year, I popped in for the first time because honestly, it started to feel like, okay, well I'm the only one not popping in, so everyone else is like gets a little pump in for the day, and meanwhile I'm like, I'm on vacation. And then they're all like, where's his pump?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 2: So I said, you know what, you can't beat him joining up?
Speaker 3: Did you do a do you do a hard workout?
Speaker 1: Just get a light little sweater, a light sweat you sure, sure, just make sure it's all engaged.
Speaker 2: I okay. So in terms of weightlifting being straight, because I do think this is such a like rich topic. At the most basic level, you are trying to make yourself larger, which is of course like taking up space. So that's like just thinking very like basic. Okay, you're trying to make yourself larger, and you're trying to make yourself look more like a statue of a man, like you are trying to be more man, and you are trying to be large. Okay, So that's one thing. Something that's complicated about it is like if sports are straight, there's something about lifting that's almost like skipping the middleman of doing anything that's useful. Like in the olden days you would get buff by like doing manual labor and or playing sports, so you would be doing something that had some sort of other value, whether you're adding value to society or you're adding or you have like camaraderie and the athletics ya, And to do lifting is very shortcut, and in that sense it's also straight because it is like, you know, it's like insider trading, Like it's like skipping, skipping the step of doing more complex work to get to the direct result that you want. Yeah, but it's also gay to not play sports and want to get up, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, buff for gay guys is like a reaction. It's like it's a it's a way to sort of like reclaim being made fun of as a child. Yeah, Whereas like for straight guys, there's not like a it's not necessarily reaction as much as it's just.
Speaker 2: Like, well, I do want to be bigger. For gay guys, it is so tied up with like issues around masculinity and reacting to being called effeminate or being called girlish and being like, well, I'll show you I'll become even bigger than the man.
Speaker 1: There's something about a gym feeling like a straight space where you're like whenever I walk into a gym for the first time, I'm like, Okay, everyone here is straight, and then if you're good there for like a few months, you're like, Okay, actually only those two guys are yeah, yeah, yeah, because everyone's kind of pretending in a really weird way.
Speaker 3: I just think, I mean, at least going to like that. There's one party at Fire Island where I was like, oh, it feels it was like everyone was the exact same body type, and I thought, man, I don't I can't imagine the social dynamics with this, just dealing with that on top of everything else. It's like when you see a picture and it's like twenty guys on Fire Island and they all have a six pack. I'm like, if one of you goes through depression, do they make you take the picture? Like where where? Where are you? Like? Or is there a different party? It was and I and I was I was in a good place when I went to this party. I was, I felt, I felt I belonged. It was very I noticed at this party there was someone who was like by all means in good shape, but slightly uh, not as cut as everyone else At the party and he was like the kind of silly one there.
Speaker 2: And he was like, welcome to our life.
Speaker 3: But there's somebody because I was like, you're in fantastic shape, it says everyone else is as is here Cody from the uh A Peloton is here, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's pastcast on this podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah he said hi, And all I said was a big fan And it just felt like the light left design. Ah, I should have And I was like, oh, you love my spin material. Yeah, he I wouldn't have to explain it to you.
Speaker 1: Also, you're right, they do make you take the picture.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And what you're describing about being the silly one, it's I mean, it is the you know, it is the gig equivalent of like the very sexist trope of like the there's like a group of girls and there was like the one ugly one and and but the thing was like.
Speaker 3: This ugly one was like truly, of course, if he was straight, he'd be the fucking every guy be like, fuck, he's so with shape?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is what is okay?
Speaker 2: Weightlifting?
Speaker 1: I agree with this idea. The weightlifting is straight, but it is an interesting difference where it's not having having a perfect body isn't straight, Like the goal to have a perfect body is not the same in straight culture whereas like but.
Speaker 3: But it's a different kind of perfect body. It's like I feel like with straight guys. I mean, I don't know if like professional weightlifting. I saw like the Arnold Swarzenegger documentary, and you see like those dudes, and I'm sure some of them are gay, but like Arnold seems pretty straight. But there's still is this like he likes the male body. I'm sure he went to guys and they go leves flex flex, let me feel, and I'm sure if they could lick they would too. But like some there's something I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's just it's you.
Speaker 3: You you like the male body. Like sometimes I think you can like like in my male body, but because you like you, like I want that body. I want to be that body. And that isn't necessarily sexual in the same way wanting to have sex with someone, but it is sexual.
Speaker 1: Well, this is that classic thing where like it goes back to even straight guys can jerk off with each other and it's just male bonding, but they never invite gay guys to jerk off with them.
Speaker 3: So I actually First of all, I've never jerked off with another guy.
Speaker 2: You are too bays to go in that Spice Girls concert.
Speaker 3: Are a lot of straight guys saying this.
Speaker 2: That's the high school, middle school thing of like straight guys all drinking off together. Yeah, okay, so so you went to a different kind of non apotomac Okay. So I do think much like the there's something about something being so gay that it's just straight. And I think bodybuilding is one of those things. Like bodybuilding, if you think about it, it's literally men getting oiled up and posing. That's like something out of a gay guy's imagination. And yet because it's so far in that direction, it like transcends sexuality and becomes a completely straight thing or something, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Isn't kind of like when when when a gay guy is getting in shape or buff. I mean, it's per the fire Island point, like is in part of it like, oh this is really going to change my sexual life. There's a lot more people who are going to want to hook up, and and for some there's more open relationships. Sure, certainly with like a guy. It doesn't always feel like the weightlifting is necessarily too attract the opposite gender. I mean a lot of times they're in a relationship, it really is about them. Sex isn't as much a part of wanting to do it. I've always thought of I was like a gay guy, especially open relationship, like I'd be motivated to like work even because it would it would kind of it would change the whole dynamic. It's shape has no effect on my interpersonal life.
Speaker 2: It's a more feminine impulse. For It's like putting on makeup for gamment, yes, whereas for straight men it is. Uh, it's like health, health oriented.
Speaker 3: Health oriented and for the for other other guys, but in a different way, not for sex, but just like.
Speaker 2: It's competition, competition, sexual competition.
Speaker 3: In bonding, something to like relate about and and again to like be able to engage physically. I think there's just like the desire to engage physically but still feel like you're you're straight or it doesn't. It feels like structured so you're allowed to do that. I just I don't know. It goes back to sports too. I feel like I had have friend he played soccer, and I remember once I hung out with him after college. He played soccer at Stanford and we were going out one night to like a club nightmare night for me. We went to like one of their houses. They all were on the soccer team together, and this guy took a shower all in his room and he like came out and he was naked. And these are all these are straight guys. I am gay there and this guy is naked, and you know, these are the guys just went locker in the locker room for this whole time. And this guy's naked and he's just standing there kind of like talking and just we were in his room, but he's naked for a massively long amount of time. And I thought in that moment, I was like, I've been to six musical theater sleep boy camps, I've had I've had gay friends, I've had gay roommates. What we are doing right now is the most erotic thing I have ever been a part of in my entire life. And these guys would never would never think of themselves think of it as homosexual at all.
Speaker 2: Were they addressing it?
Speaker 3: No, he was just he was just he was And he wasn't like standing like I'd be sitting like he was standing kind of like a statue. I always think like when guys get so worked up about a gay a gay person in the locker room, like with with football or whatever. I think it's because it acknowledges that what they're doing is kind of erotic showering together, and so if someone there who wants to fuck to go, he just wants to fuck us, it's like, well, you're there, you're slapping each other's asses. But it's it's the threat. It's all just a thought experiment that they've established that this is not gay, and it's like, maybe it's not gay, but it's erotic. It is erotic almost.
Speaker 2: So what you're afraid of is not that the gay guy in the locker room is going to hit on you. What you're afraid of is that you're gonna be attracted to him. Sure, it's like if you're holding a baby, you're not afraid of dropping it. You're afraid you're gonna accidentally like throw it. Like it's like you're confronting part a part of yourself that you have suppressed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but so yeah, I think I think that's what weightlifting is just another form of like and some guys love it. Good for them, God bless.
Speaker 1: What about grunting? M grunting while lifting.
Speaker 3: If you really push yourself straight.
Speaker 1: I've never felt the need to grunt.
Speaker 2: I sometimes sometimes it happens by accident, and I feel so humiliated.
Speaker 3: I know, but that's how you know you're working hard. Yes, I there's overdoing it. There's there's performative grunting.
Speaker 2: No, but I do think, like sometimes it comes out? Does it never come out for you? Not once?
Speaker 1: Really I'm silent.
Speaker 2: Oh, I have to like focus in order to be silent, because by default I will be like, like.
Speaker 3: I curse I like really, I love to curse. I When I was doing why did you Zoom? Workouts during COVID, there was one time that my roommate was like, you gotta chill it out because I'd be like fuck yeah, fuck, and he was like you can't. You can't do that. And I had to learn. I had to learn.
Speaker 2: Wow was it hard to learn?
Speaker 3: It was hard to learn. I'm I'm a night between the singing practice and the grunting and the I'm a noisy.
Speaker 2: Tough, tough room tough. I mean, I do think occurred just naturally a performer, the grunting comes out more not to say that you're not perform. It's interesting. I think another straight thing about lifting is also the like self optimization element of it, Like you are, it's very Silicon valley like, well, it has been.
Speaker 1: Co opted by this type right now and sort of this like techie even manospheri ish type, which I don't know how. This is the other thing of sort of talking about time. You know, this is that manosphere tech guy stuff is sort of some guy's heime and I can never tell.
Speaker 2: How it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, it was enough to win an election, you know what I mean. But like, but like I as soon as I see videos for these man camps, like it.
Speaker 2: Keeps up where it's like a guy being yelled at.
Speaker 1: I've seen this stuff.
Speaker 3: They're being yelled at, but they're also journaling and they're also I'm like, I'm like, this is I don't judge it because I go I went to acting camp. These guys did not get this. They never got to do the artist's way. And if we can rebrand the Artist's way for straight guys and just change the cover and be like the real Roseway. Yeah, the dudes, the dudes Dude's journey, like they there's something where it's almost like a horseshoe theory in terms of like sexuality or femininity. It's like they're going so far here that suddenly they're in groups together journaling and talking about their feelings. And You're like, if we can bring it all the way, you'll understand that that you just have not been given a space in society to express yourself. And those those camps, I look at them and I'm like, this is theater camp for men in their fifties.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My fear is that they think the reason they haven't been given space to journal is because of feminism, you know what I mean? Sure, Like because I it's almost like everyone of all political stripes can agree on the problem that there's a christ some vaguely defined crisis of masculinity. Then it's like either you look at that in the right wing way or where you're like, well, the reason is because women are you know, taking have taken them down and don't allow them to flourish, or you look at it from like the opposite perspective, which is like patriarchy also affects men.
Speaker 3: And we'll look at Jordan Peterson. Jordan Peterson, He's like he's like crying all the time, and I look at him. I'm like, how are you part of the manisphere?
Speaker 2: You were the most plain, bullyant suits totally.
Speaker 3: You're sobbing And I go like, they're the key is in there somewhere, And unfortunately it's's hard because you know, those guys will see on Twitter someone go, men are trash and and they're so emotionally vulnerable they could fuck you. I'm going to man camp.
Speaker 2: I know it's tough.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean when you do it like that, I'm almost like, well, actually, now, I like I like the man camps, then everyone should go.
Speaker 3: But maybe that's what happens. It's like at the end of the man camp, the council goes. Just so you know, this was actually gay camp. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was liberal the whole time.
Speaker 3: Liberal the whole time.
Speaker 2: That peoples off the mask and it's a mask, get them at their most vulnerable and then screen moonstruck.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that says something as simple as that.
Speaker 1: I actually think the idea that everyone just needs to go to acting camp and like embarrassing to shame and bring them down, Like absolutely that's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's basically what.
Speaker 3: We all need.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because we get a little scab on us.
Speaker 2: When we don't do that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's something Sometimes I look back in it and I go, like I should have learned skills, and then I go, but then then I'd be longing for that thing. Now it's like I got it. I needed that when I was at that age.
Speaker 2: No, I completely agree. I wish I had gotten to acting camp. Do you know what's interesting about lifting is via the manisphere of via Silicon Valley whatever. Now it's like Mark Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos are rip Yeah, that is a big shift that has happened in this generation. Like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were not ripped. I will say being ripped is starting to be meaningless.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in a weird way. It's because you can just do it, like you can just buy.
Speaker 3: But it has it has cultural cachet. I mean like it does whenever people whenever RFK comes out with something crazy, they go, but look at him, that's looks pretty fit at seventy whatever, and so like that's that's why I think they get into it. I think you're right, Yeah, it's it's a new it's I think it's just a little bit new and yeah, and and that's why it's it's a straight I mean, you know, Jeff Bezis, that's that's a straight that's a straight guy for sure. Yeah, that's a straight man.
Speaker 2: Same with Mark, Yeah, yeah, Mark, Mark. I wonder if it's also almost a reaction to people privileging intellect too much. It's almost like lifting work on your is like the people's reading. Like for so long we we gave attention to people that were smart and to people who had like done who had like done intellectual work. Well then it was money, then it was money, and now but there was something. I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's something like populist about lifting because like anyone can do it, whereas not everyone can like go to Harvard.
Speaker 1: It is, but at the same time that's a that's a myth too.
Speaker 2: Yeah of course the money, the trainers and god, the food, the okay, sure, yeah, it just is a new sign of wealth. Yeah, I guess it's in your sign of wealth, but it's in your sign of both. With the when the goal is to look like what the stereotype of like a non rich manual laborer would have looked like like a different era. Like it's just very confusing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it can be like passionless, like or just like it's like for your point of like, it's it's kind of skipping the usefulness of the camaraderie. It's just like you go into a factory and they'll eventually be able to, you know, just pump you with fake stuff. And people getting Brazilian butt lifts but biceps totally totally dudes getting bicep lifts.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean too, I do wonder what shortcuts are happening that we don't know about.
Speaker 3: Well talk to me. I mean the steroids is one where I'm like, I would I would never unless the only time I could see And again this is this is a I feel like seeing the movie Bros. Is why I kind of was like, was like, oh, yeah, that's how that's how all these guys are looking like this.
Speaker 2: Of course I respected that that was part of that was part of that movie.
Speaker 1: I respected it. I did feel like in the movie I was confused because it was introduced and sort of like, well, how do you think I got this body? And then it was like never talked about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, I just like that line what are you training for the war? And there's something about that Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: It is this weird, sort of dark part of it all that everyone agrees not to talk about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but even even like Arnold Schwarzenegger, like he on the documentary was saying like, yeah, we did steroids. Yeah, So it's just it is something people need to be more honest about. That guy. There was some guy. He eats like raw meat. He's a he's another personality but part of sort of manosphere Jason, and it was it was exposed that he was using a lot of steroids and he kind of got I haven't seen him in a while. I think he really was hurt from him. But he was wealthy as fuck. But I would I don't think I would.
Speaker 2: I would do it.
Speaker 3: I don't think I would.
Speaker 1: No, I whatever happened to average folks?
Speaker 2: When someone looks normal.
Speaker 3: Whatever it happened to average? That's the book.
Speaker 2: Sam fetishizes average Average.
Speaker 3: But do you do you accept average into your life as well?
Speaker 2: I think I do.
Speaker 1: I mean I work out enough, but I don't like hone in and like really get specific with it.
Speaker 3: There's there. I do think you can you get to an age where you're like when you see people who are you know, extremely fit or extremely this unless they were genetically blessed. That usually means they're a nightmare human being. It's any any like good thing about me. It's like it is an indicator that I I my whole every day. Every day, I'm fucking obsessed with this thing.
Speaker 1: I have something that it's it's just pivot slightly and I'm not sure if it's a good pivot or not, but I want to try it. The gender at the in the weight room, I feel like there is a war happening of like like part of the manisphere of stuff in a weight room is like being mad at women, like being either like dressing too suggestively or like I feel like I see like there's like all these videos of like proper etiquette or like this girl was mad at this guy for looking at her while lifting weights, but actually that guy is mad at that girl. And it's like there's like this thing happening where there's like this culture clash in a weight room.
Speaker 3: There's just a regressiveness in the country right now, and you feel it as like we're reintroducing conversations of like like does a woman's body count matter? And you're like, god, damn, I guess I guess. I guess things don't just arc to ord's being more. It goes back. Things go backwards, way back.
Speaker 2: This has been one of my biggest My biggest This has been one of one of my biggest realizations that I've had over the last few years. Is like, this is both bad and comforting. Is just like realizing how things come in waves, like just realizing like the conversations about quote unquote wokeism and DEI are the same exact conversations that were happening about political correctness and affirmative action in the nineties, just with different terms. And obviously it doesn't make it any better because people are still being hurt by the consequences of you know, legislation, et cetera. But it almost having the context almost gives you some sort of peace of mind that it will eventually swing back in the other direction or something.
Speaker 3: Sure, you hope, you hope, unless unless you know, technology is able to solidify move but probably not. I think things do shift, but it's it's alarming. I think it says shocking to witness. Sometimes people pretend and I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's not good, you know what both me out on the most about it is that because it comes in waves, that means like twenty fourteen is like the peak, Like twenty fourteen is literally like nineteen seventy five, like everything was crazy, nothing made sense, and like that's like what we the dream will be that we returned to twenty fourteen. And I'm like, but I wasn't content there, No, I wanted more.
Speaker 3: Sure, But don't you think like, like there also is a weird fraction though, where I feel like the media of Hollywood entertainment it's still pretty gay and progressive, even if the country's going backwards. And that's why I don't like, how is this happening that that like how is Lil nas X like still so popular? But then parts of the country are like fully pivoting back to you know, let's let's revisit a conversion therapy.
Speaker 2: I don't think is as popular now as when it first came out. Well this, I really do. I really do think that's true lilas X when Old Town Road came out, Like I don't know if that effect could happen now. There's something that's like, yeah, the way that people were able to be like.
Speaker 1: Oh, how fun.
Speaker 2: I understand that they were also detractors at the time, but like generally speaking, people were embraced it. I don't know if that would happen right now.
Speaker 3: It was interesting, who who's the who's the guy? Yeah, Coachella, he's saying Queen, He's singing Boheman Rhapsody.
Speaker 1: Is this Benson Boone?
Speaker 3: Benson Boone? Yeah, And it's just like you look at it and you go especially when he's singing Queen, where you're like, Freddy Mercury was was was as was gay And it's kind of like every time they play that song, every time a straight guy sings Boheman rhaps City at a karaoke bar, I want them to put up that picture of Freddie Mercury lying down with like nine guys that look just like him with the exact same mustache, Like that should have to play. You read the lyrics over that picture, just to confront, just to confront, Oh this this, I'm connected to this.
Speaker 2: There is something so incredible about Benson Boone because it is just like complete contextless reference. Like it's just like I don't know jumpsuit, I don't know mustache.
Speaker 1: It's also my least, my least favorite thing. We're just like, look how good I can sing, and it's like.
Speaker 3: I really can sing so good it's incredible. But but I just it's more just like I wish I wish you could. It's I wish people could see or had to be confronted with the fact that like this is or this came from gay culture because somebody straight people enjoy this stuff in a way. That's that's that's I mean, maybe behaven rhaps that you should have added one lyric about sucking cock just to make people like have to go like, oh yeah, well, I mean, not to.
Speaker 1: Be the most obvious point about this, but the full y mc A song being Trump's and of course it's it's like the craziest thing and he like it's about like jerking off guys. That's the fucking why it like is crazy.
Speaker 3: I don't know how.
Speaker 2: I don't know how.
Speaker 3: I don't know how, But that's why that's the thing where like for your point of like, it can never go that far one way because I'm at the end of the day, this is this is baked in, whether you talk about it or not, it's baked in. Yeah, it's just whether people are allowed to be public with what they are or not, but they're always there.
Speaker 2: No, I see what you're saying. It's more like the public narratives are coming waves, but the reality stays the same. Yeah, Like the things that are more socially accepted versus not socially accepted come in waves, and the overton window is like getting bigger and smaller, and like the things you are allowed to quote unquote sound TV change, it's the same way where they go, like more people are by and they go, oh, it's it's so too theater camp.
Speaker 3: Go to theater camp. I'm telling you, go to theater camp.
Speaker 1: You know, you literally can have like a business like getting straight guys in touch with their feminine say.
Speaker 3: But I think that we have to do is it's gradual, like you advertise it like man camp, and at the end, by the end, suddenly they realize they're like they're in catsuit singing and they're like, oh my god, I like this.
Speaker 2: Not to put you on the spot, but don't you think that, like you are a man. That is an alternative to toxic male comedians.
Speaker 3: To a degree, But I don't. I don't want to like be on any kind of high and I should about that. But I'm in an awkward position. No, no, no, I certainly think like I have a fan base that is like, you know, it's it's it's gay, and it's trans and it's not binary and it's and it's guys like me who just.
Speaker 2: Like are sure, but it's also women who are like, oh, look a good man, like for sure.
Speaker 3: I think it's certainly in the sense of like, uh, whether it be sexual orientation or gender expression. I'm I'm a friendly voice in a in a comedic world that is like uses that as an easy punching bag joke, but it can also be tough because as you talk about comedy, like I have jokes that are like I have a joke about how you know women be shopping was like an old thing, but sometimes I'm out with my girlfriend shopping and I'm like, they really do be, and it's like it's sometimes it's like how do you the needle I try to thread is like how do I express that? Sometimes I do recognize this as some kind of stereotype being true versus not and and also like I like mean comedy and I'm sure that will get me in trouble to someday, but like, sometimes you know, I'll be talking to it'll be like a crowd work and it's a nineteen year old and they tell me they just came out as non binary, and it's like, how can I joke with them in a way that is not babying. I don't want to be like everyone, let's all cheer down and forget the comedy and feel good. And it's navigating that. And I'm sure the reason I never want to get a high horse is because I know eventually I'll do something where someone will go, oh, that was mean or that joke.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I was at a college and it was like doing crowd work with someone and they were talking about the roommates were hooking up, and at first I thought the roommates were gay and they didn't want to be in the room with them, and they said the roommate was non binary. I think the joke, you know, speed of the moment. It's like instead of sixty nine, ing, do they zero? And it's like I can see a world where someone goes, fuck you, non binary people can sixty nine, and I'll be like, yes, of course they can. It's it's just it's a playoff the word non and uh. But I also think like that's I think that is important in terms of like, I think a lot of a lot of leftist momentum, progressive momentum got stymied by by a lack of sense of humor. And it's hard because if you let people make jokes, a lot of guys in a toxic siety and women to go back to the most baseline homophobic jokes. But if you police people in an annoying way, they just write you off and they get annoyed. And so I do think there has to be a way forward with mean humor, which people do long for and like you have. In order for aggressive things to go for, you have to show people you can play ball, you can be a fucking ass, So you can make a dark joke. But it's tough with the balance, you know, it's but I think that's an interesting comedic space to navigate, and I want to be you know, people use the term funny is funny to like justify shitty behavior, But I do believe that if you keep funny as your guiding light and you are of an open heart, you will ultimately make good work that isn't hateful, but it does it can be mean. Yeah, and some people won't like it, and the Internet will allow it to be collectivised in a way that feels. But you can't become obsessed because for all the points we said earlier, it's a small contingency.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. And I think that's like the biggest thing I'm realizing. There was a brief period where canceling became mainstream, and that was basically a year and a half, and then since then and we were all on the internet cover times, and but since then, people have maintained the fear of cancelation.
Speaker 3: I say that all the time that right now, SOI comedians that literally still exists in that space and they're like, can you cut this on the podcast.
Speaker 2: I'm like, it's really more chill.
Speaker 3: We're not doing that anymore. Yeah, no, we're not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I do, well, of course you do. Wonder if that also comes in waves in like suddenly in seven years, it'll.
Speaker 3: Be like sure. But I think like the mistake people made with that is like because we were all in COVID, and COVID is a unique thing. Whenever someone got canceled on the Internet or whatever, we thought like they're dead. Like I say, like we had cancel culture. Back in ancient Rome, it's just when you got canceled, they killed you. And I think it's because they knew if they didn't kill you, they'd have to hear you whine about cancel culture for the next fifew years. But like with COVID, we thought people left the Internet, they stopped existing. And then this is part of the Trump era, this is part of everything. We're like, oh, Kevin Space, he's still gonna go make movies. Yeah, and you have to contend with that. I'm not saying you have to go forgive Kevin Space because of that, but it's like, yeah, he's gonna make movies, and maybe if he's not making them, America's gonna make them in Israel. It's just like people still exist. People still exist in the world, and you have to confront that in terms of how you deal with punishments.
Speaker 1: I think the mean humor thing, I think is a good point and sort of in conversation because I do feel like in the twenty tens it was very popular to be like like a nice comedian, Like it was cool to be like nice and like get sort of a clappter thing everywhere, and so then cancel culture. Then we're sort of in this weird space where it's like, Okay, we want to be mean, we know that, but we don't want to be an asshole either.
Speaker 3: And I think, listen, I think the bottom line is speaking from talk about a straight thing where it's like, I think some guys felt like, I'm not safe here. There's not a safety to be mean. People get so mad at me so quickly, they take me in the worst possible faith. And you're watching a queer comedians get away with murders sometimes and you're like, okay, and that that Bill. You can't let that resent. The problem is for some guys it let the resentment fucking destroy them. Or there are some people stop liking their comedy and they shifted so far totally, and there was a lot of bad liberalish comedy totally, but right now there is some awful right wing comedy mixed in with someone who like but something like a lot of this kill Tony. You're like, this is not funny.
Speaker 2: It's so that gives me hope, honestly, because you are absolutely correct that during the Hannahgatsby era, like the the presidency, the quote yeah, like the quote unquote like more left leaning queer comedy often was terrible and it made you, I you know, it made us as fellow queer comedians, feel like, oh god, like, is this what people think I do? I honestly remember, like even just like booking people for this podcast and have and being like it's a podcast where we talk about straight culture, I'm like, oh god, they probably think this thing, like since they think this is like some sincere thing where we're like talking about like how oppressed we are or something, and oh god, like I don't want people think that's sure, and it is. There's something that actually feels almost nice about that switching. And you're seeing as you're saying, the right wing people do horrible pandering material to essentially clapter about shople that are like anti DEI, and let's hope that that means that the people on the left are like going to become more creative and like make that sure.
Speaker 3: And also like, first of all, I liked I thought what was Hanna against? What is it called nttette Net was like a good piece of theater, and it was ultimately it was a build as it was built as a stand up comedy special for advertising purposes. Yes, and then everyone acted like this is going to invade our spaces? Is that the comedy seller changed in some way? But I also saw, like you know, if you watch Andrew Schultz's new special, it ends with a video montage of his wife getting pregnant having a baby, and people like crying and moved, and I go like, don't you see people just sometimes want to cry, and like you're crying at the end of the Neette, You're crying at the end of this. Don't you understand you have more in common. Comedians get to a place where sometimes they want to do more than make you laugh, and that doesn't mean that laughter is coming to an end. But I see people going like, wow, I cried at the end of this, and I go, that's what everyone was so mad about with Hannah gat for so long.
Speaker 2: It's like how Chappelle, Like the stereotype of Chappelle's later work is like he's saying something and then he gets really serious, and he's like they crucified him for that. Like it's like it's like you know what I mean, Like, yeah, he is the king of suddenly becoming more serious. Oh my god, it's it's it's anyway, yeah, wow, Well Jean Marco any final thoughts on weightlifting.
Speaker 3: Oh, I think I think my trainer, I don't know. He's he hasn't been, he hasn't gone back recently, so interesting. But he's gay. Huh huge, And it definitely is like that is one of those that is one of those things where I go, I want to have my trainer be a gay man, And I don't know if I don't care if it's bad. I mean, that's that's the truth. It's like, and I don't know why. I don't know if I can fully articulate, like what it what it is, but I feel like.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know who I work out for. If it's for myself, if it's for my business, if it's all over the thing. It's just liking to feel a certain way, if it's to make up for not feeling athletic as a kid. But I'm like the way that I want to talk about when I when I was worried about if I was in shape or not, I asked a friend of mine from college, a gay guy, and I said to him, I like, I'm I have prants around in my underwear. In general, I'm just an underwear guy, I'm a newdist if I'm alone. And I said to him, like, I'm in good shape, right, And he didn't say anything. And I went to my room and I cried, and then we like he talked and he was like, and this is like a friend. This is a friend who can be a hard friend, but he's an honest friend. It's notimes you need an honest friends. And he was saying I was not in shape. But what I was saying that I thought I was. He was like, he was like, you're in fine shape. But if you think that you're like in excellent shape, you're that's not That's essentially now listen. I understand some people would.
Speaker 1: Hear that and go, we're really giving him a lot of grace.
Speaker 3: I listen, listen, No, but you're you have to understand the energy that I brought to it. It's like if I came to you. If it's like if someone comes to you and goes, I'm I'm an amazing singer, right sure, and they're not an amazing singer. Are you the friend that lets them go in American Idol and make a fool of themselves or are you the friend who says you maybe if you if you want to be an amazing singer, you might want to take some voice lessons.
Speaker 2: But I would say you're like in better shape than like ninety five percent of the peo.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 3: This was a long time ago. This is because oh that's why, well this is not recently. Okay, i'd say fuck you, excellent shape. But there's just like, in terms of talking about my own body, there's something where I'm like, I want to talk to a gay man because I want to talk to another man, and I trust a gay man's ability like talk about what looks good over a straight man, and.
Speaker 2: I know they're not about you because they're not trying to fuck.
Speaker 3: They possess the lack of empathy only a man could put on a.
Speaker 1: Well, I've been feeling this way with clothing shopping recently, where I've been trying on a lot of suits and you know, you've been having like thank you you like like sometimes I feel very sexualized where they're like, oh, try this, you try this, and I'm like, actually, it actually makes you feel so much better to know that you're sexualizing me. Like I'm like, you're actually paying attention. Yes, you have fake in this game, like you want me to be you want to turn yourself on?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Me.
Speaker 3: So my little sister she works at Selene in Los Angeles, and she like helps pick out fits sometimes, and I do some nice think like there is a thing where I say to her, like, I need to look sexy and you are you able, as my sister to do that? Are you able to look and like go, that's sexy, or are you ultimately like gonna make me look good but in an asexual way? Are you going like, oh, make sure you get some chest hair in there, because that's turning the.
Speaker 2: Ladies I had experienced recently, I went to this new men's restore in Brooklyn. I wish I could shut outcause it's a great story, but I'm about to say a negative story about them, so I won't. I the owner of the store was there really like hot, attractive fashion guy, you know, perfectly quaff beer whatever. I was trying to buy a nice shirt for something, and he was being very much like, oh that, I mean, the collar perfectly frames your face, blah blah. And then I find out after the fact that he is in fact straight, not gay, and just like because he works in fashion and like speaks like that, and says like, you know the color of yeah, and the way that I then put the shirt back on, looked at myself in the mirror and I was like, I look bad, like the sheen of his praise was gone. And I'm I have it actually here, I'm returning it today. I literally have the bag next to me.
Speaker 1: This is one of the scariest stories.
Speaker 2: And I'm telling you it doesn't look good on me. Like I now can objectively see it. It fits me weirdly.
Speaker 3: It is I love in fashion. They have to be like, no one can know that I'm straight. No one can know that I'm straight?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 3: Secret?
Speaker 1: That is crazy. And for you to go through the trouble of returning something, I mean, can you have the weirdness of it and still continuously expensive?
Speaker 2: Wow? I guess what I can only get for our credit?
Speaker 1: Woh wow.
Speaker 2: Well, I can't wait to see what you come up with. Same? Should we do our final segment?
Speaker 1: Our final segment is called shout Outs, and in this segment we pay omash is the grand straight tradition of the radio shout out shouting out to anything, people, places, things, ideas that we are enjoying. We make them up on the spot. We are unprepared. Her usual George, do you happen to have one?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Hit us with it? Okay, what's up, cinophiles. I want to give a shout out to the movie Drop, which I just watched two days ago. Now, as everyone knows, this movie is about a woman on a first date and she starts getting drops on her phone. You know about this dram marker. I don't, Okay, So she's on a first date. It's Megan pay from White Load to Season two. She's on a first date. She gets to drop on her phone, like an air drop, and it's like hey, and it turns out it's a guy that is sending her messages and they're like, you have to kill your date, otherwise your son will die. And she figures out that there's someone she can see on the cam Mara's on her phone, that there's someone at her place where her son is being babysad, and so then she has to do all these things that this man keeps telling her otherwise her son will die. And I guess I just want to give a generalized shout out to movies with a very simple premise that managed to stick the landing because it is actually very rare. You know, anyone can come up with the premise than what People don't realize that it has to have a second and a third act and then it has to have a satisfying conclusion. And I would say this film pulled that off much like the movie Red Eye famous Wes Craven. I want to say, Red Eye don't remember anyway? Yeah, so you know what? Keep them common folks.
Speaker 1: Who okay, what's up? Freaks, lusism perverts around the globe. I want to give out to the broken screen. On my flight over here, I had a broken screen and could not watch movies or TV even and it gave me a sense of superiority that I actually missed. I have been feeling sort of man of the people vibes, maybe even anti intellectual, and not this flight. This flight, I read my damn book the whole four hours and thirty minutes.
Speaker 3: Damn.
Speaker 1: You better believe I'm much further than I ever thought I would be read the book for our episode on Thursday. Oh I'm gonna be fucking prepped. And I felt like I could feel people looking at me saying.
Speaker 2: Is he reading this whole time? Oh my god, he's still reading And.
Speaker 1: He's not even napping, not even for a little bit.
Speaker 2: That's right.
Speaker 1: I was a hero on the plane. Everyone was gagged at my intellectualism. And sometimes it's forced upon you, but.
Speaker 2: You have to take the call. Oh my god, First of all, you are so ahead of me in terms of buzzy books. It's crazy. You've lapped me twice.
Speaker 1: I'm lapping you. I'm lapping your ass.
Speaker 2: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Role reversal over here.
Speaker 2: Literally, and now your body's tight, John Marco, whenever you're.
Speaker 3: Ready, h what's up? It's the next sexy boys and girls around the universe. I stayed at a Hilton hotel in Wilmington, North Carolina. The hotels in this country are are falling apart of the seams. It is a fucking disaster. And no one should live a life on the road because you really experienced just the worst of life. But you see where America is going. My room, Saturday morning, six am, one of the alarms in the hotel clock went off, and then it went off a second time after that. My ac thing was broken, so it was fifty nine degrees in my room the entire time. And I complained, of course, and they gave me two things. One, they gave me fifty dollars off at the restaurant in the hotel. Again, am I happy about the hotel being shitty, No, but they gave. They gave. I complained and they said we will make this. Write I fifty nine degrees. There was no rooms. Then they found one room for me to switch that night. Society is collapsing. I understand the people who are hired in the middle part, they're not to blame, but unfortunately, this is the job that they've taken. And if you're there and it's your home for the night, they they're the ones that need to lead the revolution. Give enough of those fifty dollars cards that the hotel goes we're going bankrupt, and maybe it closes and maybe that's a good thing and you sacrifice your job, or maybe they go, this is a disaster, and you go, why what am I going to do? Tell the guy to fuck off? And unfortunately you've taken on the burden of we can't just let it happen. We can't just let it slide. I can't, I can't, I can't just not sleep. And I shout out to it to all those people who are are have been put in shitty positions those people in the lost baggage claim area at the airports that it's not your fault that the bag is lost. But you're the one who's saying, like, here's the four hundred dollars coupon for the flight. You gotta tear You got to tear up these companies from the inside and make them fix or die, because there's no way this is sustainable. There's no way it's sustainable.
Speaker 1: Wowow.
Speaker 2: I just want to say, I want to give a shout out to the phrase the people that are hired in the middle part, because it's so like, that's a that's literally the that's a Jordan Peel movie, the middle part in the middle part. Yeah, no, it's so true. I mean I have to say, if I complain about something which is very rare, and I get even like one dollar, I'm immediately like, I'm writing you into my will. Yeah. I'm like thak, yes, yeah, this was really amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you just gotta Oh. If I worked up the play they fireman, I give twenty five bucks each time they came in. I was saying, hey, this is a piece of shit right off the gate, here's twenty five dolls.
Speaker 2: I actually toid more when something is bad because I feel bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but it was nice. It was like he came and it was fifty he walked in the room, and I like that he did this. He went, oh my god, like acknowledge, it is very cold.
Speaker 1: That's nice.
Speaker 3: Fifty nine degrees is very cold. I'm not being a baby here. And the blankets are this thin. We all know what we're doing here, covered in com don't yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Don't lie.
Speaker 3: Don't lie that it's not that bad or the worst. Like this one baggage. The bag was ripped open, it was soaking wet. They ruined everything. And she said, she said, it happens more often than you'd think, and I was like, that's not for me. That doesn't make me feel better, that's don't don't even offer that. Yeah, then you should have a better answer, But it happens more often. You have a better answer than whatever the fuck?
Speaker 2: This is actually the opposite of what you want to hear because you want to be the protagonist of that story. It's like, yes, how could this possibly happen to me?
Speaker 1: Wow? Well, this has been a delight.
Speaker 2: Incredible. I'm Jean Marco where can people find you, where people see you, and how can people you know, maybe even physically find you and visit physically.
Speaker 3: I announce my location pretty much every night if you want to find me to do whatever at Jo Marcus Arasi all social media platforms. My podcast is called the Downside with Tree Marcus Arasi and I'm just on tour all the time. I post a lot of videos online and I'll have a special coming out later this year, probably on YouTube, so just stay tuned.
Speaker 1: Whoo whoo, Okay, thanks for doing the polo, Thank you bye podcast.
Speaker 3: And now want more?
Speaker 2: Subscribe to our Patreon for two extra episodes a month, discord access and more by heading to patreon dot com. Slash Stradio Lab and for.
Speaker 1: All our visual earners, free full length video episodes are available on.
Speaker 2: Our YouTube now Get back to Work.
Speaker 1: Stradia Lab is a production by Will Ferrell's Big Money Players Work and iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Created and hosted by George Severis and Sam Taggart.
Speaker 1: Executive produced by Will Ferrell, Han Soni and Olivia Aguilar. Co produced by Bai Wang, edited and engineered by Adam Avalos. Artwork by Michael Fails and Matt grubg theme music by Ben Kling,