Speaker 1: Hey, it's another episode against the Chronicles podcast and now I am big still with my dog. Hey, you know I just heard fresh off the presses man your boy Tyler period on mess around and bought bt mmm he could check.
Speaker 2: That's a big bag. I don't know how.
Speaker 1: Much he bought it for, too billy plus and that voice you hear in the background that came in. We got a special guest today as the homeboy, Alonzo. Y'all noticed over the past few weeks. You know, we had a little bit of dialogue. It's just a little bit, just a little bit of dialogue. We still well, we still welcome our people's to the show man. So you know, y'all give it up for Lionzo. Yes, indeed, how much.
Speaker 3: You think he paid for I was like right up right around too big and doc right around I heard. I was the whole conversation on the way over here. Two billion, too big, right about too big?
Speaker 2: That's man, what you got over there?
Speaker 3: Alarms going to turn this guy theamn watch y'all, I turn my phone off. The guy didn't watch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not fancy. I don't know. I ain't never talking to like Dick Tracy and yeah, you. That's like my son, man, My son is with all that technology and ship. I'm I'm still spending my ship back and ship.
Speaker 1: One thing about these phone companies, they stay with some success reasons ship to charge the motherfucker. My wife's hit me one day, said, oh, they got the Apple Watch on sale, can you give me one? I said, what's the Apple Watch? I guess she'd be on her phone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they like fucking like, what's the old school Dick Tracy. Yeah, there you go, that's Dick Tracy. Like a motherfucker, get smart on the motherfucker around here.
Speaker 3: She will start talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so ship. So Tyler Perry, Yeah, Tyler Perry bought him. Man, I wonder what you go see because it seemed like, you know, I applaud man any brother man that is built what he built because I first heard when my mama was still living in Cleveland. That's the first time I heard of Tyler Perry. She had a bunch of VHS tapes with these he was doing on there, and I saw her, my auntie and even my wife, they was all captivated by this shit. And I said, man, this dude got something going. So just seeing a brother come from where he come from being homeless to owning a major network. Now, you know, it's crazy, man. Whether you like his movies or not, you know what I mean, you still got to applaud.
Speaker 2: Brother because I'm not a fan of the movies. I'm a fan of the struggle and the hustle and to come up. And you know, he came from you know what, living in his car and all that shit. So the the climb is is a you know, I applaud him on his success, but I'm not a fan of the I've never really sat down and watched the Tyler Perry movie.
Speaker 3: Now I'm a little different. I like his movies. If you want to get high and have a good ass laugh, watch his movies. But I can't watch his TV shows. Okay, I cannot watch I tried it.
Speaker 2: There's a difference between the different Okay, I.
Speaker 3: Think they get it. They like points like he go to scenario, just make as shit as you go because you're one character, take forever the stakes.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: The thing is, if you've seen one, you kind of seen them all. I just seen them all. You kind of seen them all because it's the same narrative. It's a black woman on there that's mad about something, either her seated on or something. It's a villainous ass ex boyfriend, and it's a simply to come in and say today they wound up getting into a fight.
Speaker 3: With the dude they want. They always in a small ass town somewhere and they probably gonna let you slides it into the goddamn movie.
Speaker 2: So do you feel his movies make us look fucked up as a black man?
Speaker 3: He got some movies that that does make us look fucked up. But now I know that when he plays in the movies himself, not as madea like that one movie he did he was it was a good, solid movie. I forgot the name of it. It was, uh he saved he up marrying this chick that was homeless with a daughter, and shit, that was a good damn anyway, Yeah he got He got some movies on both sides of the fence, and keep it the one hundred. That's that movie called Man, God Damn Alex something Man. Are you a fan Alice Cross? Thank you, Alice Cross.
Speaker 1: I'm a fan of him as a person. His struggling stuff the movies is cool. Or you know, I ain't mad at the movies I watch him something like you said, when you're sitting up smoking the joint of something and you just chilling. They cool to watch because my wife liked the motherfuckers, so she she watched him, and you was gota wind up watching. We all wind up watching what our women like to watch. Right, you know what I'm saying. So I don't be arguing I.
Speaker 2: Don't like to watch. I don't like to watch what the woman like to watch. You don't watch TV with your girl? No, see you a whole nigga. No, I don't know how you get away with that. That's why we got That's why it's That's why it's bedrooms with TVs because usually I'm in the other room watching what I want to watch. I don't want to watch some Lifetime program or you know, some some women be watching some crazy shit man. So yeah, I stick to my sports at ESPN or some new shit. I don't watch no fucking w They gonna be turning around looking at you weird and shit after the program go off, and shit, well fuck that shit.
Speaker 1: Let me make sure we were let me make sure we were reporting on things accurately. This is what they said. There's been a lot of speculation about who would eventually purchase the Beet brand from Perrymont Global, it appears big in their filmmaker studio owner Tyler Perry is the front runner to be BET's next owner. Over the last several months, multiple individuals have expressed interest in buying BT. Hip hop artists Moguls, Diddy and fifty Cent were named as potential buyers. A new report from The Streamer claims Perry would take control of BT Media for an undisclosed amount. Perry previously signed a motor year joint venture between Tyler Perry's Studios and BT streaming service BT Productions. Oho, my things just cut out, But anyway, he's buying it. Man, you know, fifty three years old. Man, this man went from being homeless to buying a major, a major, major piece of black intellectual property. And I and I think it's dope that we keeping the black man. I applaud that brother. Man. You know, I don't think he's the greatest filmmaking the world. He's got a lot better, right, But I applauded dog. This dude on his own studios in Atlanta. That place is in Prencipe head. Had hein't doing this motherfucking thing. He's definitely a trail blazer, as were you Loneso, because I know you you like playing with the NWA acronym.
Speaker 2: Not without lines, yes, indeed, not.
Speaker 1: Without LINESO Lonzo said, wouldn't nobody NWA.
Speaker 4: See mwew I did say, CMW C MW n W A C I A and a bunch of other initials and little to loaks and shit wouldn't be here, wouldn't be doing what they doing.
Speaker 3: So you had a oh I came down today, man, he.
Speaker 1: Came down to the Loneso said he wasn't having today, he said, not without Loneso, not without lines.
Speaker 2: A lot of niggas came through uh Lonzo's presence as far as you know, uh that that door. As far as getting a they what do I want to say, getting a shot into the music biz, because there was not a lot of fucking West Coast artists here before you know, Lonzo, the Recon Crew and shit. I couldn't even name nobody before then if you asked me.
Speaker 3: Came out right.
Speaker 2: I listened to Todd because you know, Todd was from my neighborhood. He was from Tragnew So Todd had TDK tapes. That's where I knew Todd from. I knew Recon Crew from Surgery to twelve inch. That's why I got introduced to the Recon Crew. But as far as records, all I knew was y'all. As far as putting out records, were you Egypt Unknown had Techno how he was putting out you know, based records and the first fucking uh Ice Tea records. Then you had fucking dream Team and in Rockberry Jam and all of that. So that ship right there was all because we were all.
Speaker 3: Dance promoters, all DJs. The whole era, the whole generation was totally different. Back then, all we did was gave dances and chase chicks. That's all we did.
Speaker 2: So that's why your music kind of was.
Speaker 3: That's why we were That's why we had Jerry Carroll, That's why we had them, SUSO were trying to get laid and have some fun. Okay, let me ask you one. It's just one thing I want to know, bro, what was up with the air with all the we got this ship from Tour de France. Man, that ship was the hottest shit in the club at the time. Man, look at craft work, all meet Rerecord Crew egypt A lot of our it was dance Dance Records, the Record Crew Egyptian lover fucking out of New York, Uh soul sohnic Force. That was the ship that and vocoders Okay, the mechanical ship. That's all that was a that was the musical sound that was like that was like our fucking version of goddamn auto tune. Okay, it was like that. That was that was for that era. Okay. Everybody has something they do different in every era. And for the dance, for the dance sets at that time, everybody was breathing on their records. Okay. The nigga had asked, well, he couldn't make a mother fucking record. Okay, that's what the damn sure sound like the thing in the back wrong.
Speaker 2: And see.
Speaker 3: If we got this year form like we got it from craft work list the craft work.
Speaker 2: So when did you notice, as like you said, that was your era, when did you feel and notice that hip hop so to speak, started changing?
Speaker 3: Hip hop started changing for us around eighty seven, eighty six, eighty seven, because we started in eighty two. I started in eighty two, but West Coast hip hop started changing around eighty six eighty seven because we made turn off the lights. That was around the same year that Dred Radium left right after turn off the lights and formed the NWA and y'all came up right behind them. So it was like the late eighties and ice he had already done his thing, but even then it hadn't it hadn't officially changed over completely because we still was doing dancings and shit. It was like we were in that curve we you know that mix. You know, it's still Nigga's still dancing, but they really started banging. They still dancing, but they started banging, and all of a sudden they stopped dancing and started banging. The whole thing just changed completely. And even when we were going tour. First started going on tour, all we played was R and B, R and B groups. All it was record crew, rerecord crew, fucking Mary Jane girls, more stay in the time ship like that. Then around the second and third year we started seeing Force Him D's and other acts like that. Okay, because even though even though West cost even the East Coast acts were doing more like an R and B thing, you had to Force Him D's and even Cold Mo d though he was a rapper, his music was R with R and B music type. Okay, So by the time my last tour with n W A, I never forget it was n w A Eazy E just Ice Uh and Ice T and World Class Record crew. We're the headliner because turn up lights of the hottest record of all this hit right Easy of them just starting up. They we just broke up, but dre and yelling them with Easy them and we on tour with all these gangsters. So I'm like, Jerry, I'm telling you, because Erry Heller was my manager, I'm like, dude, how are we on the school?
Speaker 2: This ain't gonna work for us.
Speaker 3: Now we had the biggest song, wasn't nobody checking for Easy? And then like that, just yet they were only getting minimum wage fifteen hundred dollars. Now I'm getting seven eight grand, Okay, iceed T still he's still was iced Tea. Oh he always been Iced Tea. He getting a little bit little, probably get the same money as I am. But because I had the biggest record, I was considered to draw at that time. But they had all these gangs to acts on the show. And that's when the whole thing changed for us because now you can't get laid after the show no more. You got to fight. Oh god, Yah, thing changed.
Speaker 2: Huh. It was a lot of bullshiting the tour.
Speaker 3: I was bullshit. Then by that time I picked up battle Cat, Richie Rich and Mona Lisa to do turn off Lights. So battle Cat was a young nineteen year old kids straight out of the sixties rolling with me on tour for the first time.
Speaker 2: That's what I was wanna say. Who did you get to replace Dre? And yelling?
Speaker 3: Battle Cat was replacing Dre Richie Rich, he was with the dream Team for a minute. And and uh, Mona Lisa, who sang lovers in the first time. Uh, that's who the song was written for in the first place, ended up doing. Uh the song that Michele's parts.
Speaker 2: Is that right?
Speaker 3: So miss so when Dre left, michel A bounce too, misch and they was never a part of the recond crew. She was just like a feature work for hire type situation. She was, you know, I watched her movie. I think I called you because I was at home watching.
Speaker 1: Her b I think her was on BT one of the Lifetime movie one of them Lifetime and that motherfucker I said they got the homie. I need to ask them this ship true, he found her in the store.
Speaker 3: Of all the ships, man, that was probably the biggest lot I ever told all the ship I've ever done. Niggas a lied on me in all kinds of ways. They lied on me and Jesus all the time. And they lied on me when they did Jesus. Okay, And now she did work at a store, but I was not walking through the goddamn store looking for a pair of socks. We're fucking socks, man, I just showed you that. For the god dam, I didn't even wear socks that much. So they then they had me smoking cigarettes pacing outside the studio waited for her to go off the bus. Man. That's a bullshit. Anybody know any woman that worked with me gonna get a ride to and from the goddamn studio.
Speaker 2: And they had it like you was intervening in her and Dre's I.
Speaker 3: Ain't get dude, when they started fucking around, how don't know they was sucking around. I didn't know they were fucking around to after they left a whole different situation.
Speaker 2: Dot.
Speaker 1: So So let me ask you this line. So Dre admitt her through your interactions up yeah studio. Okay, so cool. I thought that might have been his chick or something like that.
Speaker 3: Big dude, dude. Mister Lee was like eighteen, she just graduated high school, and uh she would come to the studio hang out sometime, but she didn't hang out with with the Fellers all the time. She was sometimes she going the pad kicking with Rolls and uh uh dam he was there. Yeah, yeah, Rose, he would be around the path, yeah, roll because roll Yeah, that's right, you had tiny That's right.
Speaker 2: I forgot about that shut up lines.
Speaker 3: He don't know. I'll tell you the nigga. I know all the goddamn dirt. Okay, now you're gonna be you fixed it that nasty. I didn't hit a nerve anyway.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: She was kicking in the pad a lot of times and usually get I get up, either me or one of the fellas get up and take her home. I had no idea her and Dre had any kind of interaction.
Speaker 2: So you never saw none of that. I like to be careful on what you say, yeah, because I'll be telling you about what you be giving your questions. I don't want to.
Speaker 1: Become that that type of messy ass podcast. You know what I mean, putting out ship, you know, but.
Speaker 2: Because we always got to keep his ass off for certain ship, you know what I'm saying, Because he likes to, you know, walk that thin line sometime.
Speaker 1: The legs, the laserd abuse that was going on at the time, you never saw, never saw something because I know these movies have a ten.
Speaker 2: That's a lifetime ship. Ship. Man.
Speaker 3: I remember also at that time he might know what I'm confident at that time at my house, nobody drank sup or flipped him. I just see, I didn't see no a ball till the nigga showed up.
Speaker 2: The gangs.
Speaker 3: Niggas come with a ball and all kind of ship. Okay, Dre them didn't drink, they didn't. We didn't even smoke weed or nothing. These youngsters bought all the bad habits.
Speaker 2: In my house. We came with the gangster ship.
Speaker 1: Was it a shock to you when you saw Dre make that transition into doing the type of music he was doing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean the music was always good.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: I just was like I knew all the guys personally. They never came off to me like that, you know what I'm saying. These guys were. They came up to me cool, but they was I knew that, I knew where they were from. They was different. I never saw them do anything, but they had a different vibe about them. I watched Dre, I knew Dre, I knew Cube, I knew Yeller. I knew that, I knew they vibe was totally different. So it kind of blew me away. They gonna do what, Okay, cool if y'all buy it, they sell it. Y'all buy it, get a receipt.
Speaker 2: And go home.
Speaker 1: I said, right there, Now, let me ask you this, and this is about the business part. Because you were signed the techno pop right like hop technical hop you was. You were signing the techno hop. Yeah, was his stand to practice back then because he wasn't signed the CMWO, wasn't signed to you outside of the one project. But it can almost be misconstrue this exploitation kind of because they took you know, like Unknown took E's publisher.
Speaker 3: Now that right there, I can't speak on simply because when I did a compilation album, my my one of my things was to try and get everybody a deal on that first compilation eight got picked up PG. Thirteen got picked up. But now the sea got picked up.
Speaker 2: What happened to the what happened to West Coast Distributors?
Speaker 3: Man, we went broke. We went fucking broke because that was the plan. That was the plan. Yeah, okay, we the company West Coast. West Coast Record Distributors was the first company owned by artists, Me Rudy from the Dream Team Unknown in Egypt. It was my idea. I put all these cats together. We drove down to San Diego to the NORM Convention National Association of Record Merchandisers, cut a deal with the labels where they buy from us. They say, yeah, if y'all do it, we'll buy it from you. We shot back to La went to Rainbow Records in Santa Monica. Talked to Steve, say, Steve, we leave him a cola. We're gonna we got people that sit they'll buy from us. Well, we pressed our records. He said, yes, how much you're gonna charge us? We want to charge you the record. I said, charge just the regular price. He said, yeah, we need a line of credit. He gave me Egypt, Rudy and Unknown twenty five thousand dollars line of credit, not a piece of paperwork in the motherfucking room. Hundred grand credit credit line for Rainbow Records, not a piece of paper, just based on our selling ability. My first project was CMW. I'd been there about now, about six eight months. Okay, well, I'm sorry. The first project was Compilation. I've been there about six eight months. And what we did not know is that one of our partners was buying shit and getting advances on because back then, in the independent record situation, you could go to the distributor, Hey look I got a new project coming out. I need advance on my project. Okay, But because we were a distributor, they took it against the distribution company and not that particular label, whoever's product came out, they just got their money from. Y'all got figured out for yourself.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: See what I'm saying, we're gonna charge it. We're gonna charge this ten thousand, twenty thousand dollars to the fucking distribution company. So when y'all come out, instead of y'all getting now we build a shit, we're gonna get our twenty grand back. I don't care what the product it is. So when it came down to it, the compilation was the next project coming through, so it got caught up in that ship. So now I got to actually, I gotta go to the Egyptian lever and hey man, y'all owe me eighty grand. We sold like shit, like thinking like ten fifteen thousand copies like that, okay, that we were setting CDs. We was building them at like nine fifty apiece. Yeah, so that was eighty grand minus present. Did you ever get your money from? Never got my goddamn money. Never got to let me. And see the thing about distribution too. When you're going to look at a label situation, set up, whatever record falters, right, it comes up the top thing.
Speaker 1: That's why they don't mind giving you advances because they got a line of records coming up.
Speaker 3: That's the whole that's the whole thing about the record industry. Most cats don't understand. It's about your credibility. So if you got four labels that's under one distribution company, somebody gonna drop a record in the next few months, and I mean, I'm gonna get my money back one way or another. I don't care who it is. I just want my money back. Y'all figure out who y'all gonna charge you back to and that's where the ship got fucked up at. So now they were supposed to drop some ship to offset our ship, and we end up going. We end up falling out after that. So now we got struck with it. Then we get stuck with the with the pressing bill. So they got hit with the pressing bill. You followed me, so they got they got hit with the pressing bill. So now my money is tied up and they advances, they get struck with the pressing bill. So now everybody mad. So who who the who? The Egyptian leveling them go get the advance from man probably want probably countter for the record distributors. And see here, here's here's the bad part about it. He don't know what happened because he wasn't running his own label. His girlfriend was running his label.
Speaker 2: So she went and got the bread.
Speaker 3: She went and got the bread, and then we sat down a few years later, this bitch was stealing from everybody.
Speaker 1: It's always a motherfucker stealing. And that's what I was gonna say, because I know in these movies they always show it's a big bad white man somewhere stealing some shit, right And I said, man, it seemed like the brothers was doing niggas worse than worse than the motherfucking people.
Speaker 3: We all finally sat down and came you know, niggas. For a while, was like, hot, dude, you owe me this. This niggas looking at me crazy, I'm nigga John crazy. Everybody looking at everybody crazy, And I'm like, well, what the fuck. So after after the niggas calmed down and had a conversation when they were man, well what about this right here? Oh man, I did this. I thought this, I thought that, what the fuck this? By this time, him and the old girl that broke up, she gone, And then I found out for another part to mind about, because here's the here's the crazy part about it. I ain't tell you all this shit. We had me and me and my party Charles. We had got a deal for the Coptain's for the coptain compilation with uh. I think it was UH, CBS or Sony one of them too. I tell you the guy's name. The name is Tobrey Emric. He one of the biggest motherfucking movie executives right now in the fucking country. Name is Toby Emrick. Okay, he left left the record division, went to the movie division. He came to La met with me and Charles at the Beverly Hills Hotel. True story. I never told her. I ain't told this one no t Dusty yet and me and Charles we wrote him down there and we said, all right, man, anything past seventy five thousand, we're gonna sell this motherfucker. Cash everybody out.
Speaker 2: We're good.
Speaker 3: Get down there. He was in a hurry. Look what the fellas. I heard your product. I like what you guys did.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: We offered a hundred thousand. We kicked the other on the table like bitches talking out the smiles. Shit, hundred thousand, Okay, cool? Were good? Right Monday morning, I wanna call you Monday morning through the paperwork. I'm there, bright and early Monday morning. Charles had a dinner's appointment that day. So I'm there at eight thirty waiting on the phone ring. I'm waiting for the phone to ring. Twelve o'clock. The phone ain't ring three o'clock. The phone there ring. Charles is there, and what happened, I don't know, man, I don't know. Now put a pin right there. We never heard from CBS again. Right, never heard from his cats again, never.
Speaker 2: Heard from him.
Speaker 3: My partner who I'm still in business with, right here this day. At that time, he was answering the phone for us at the West Coast, and he didn't know what was going on. So I said, man, I never forget that time we had to dial with CBS. Man, it was for comporting compilation album and CBS just flaked out. No, no, no, no, I'm sorry. I back up, back up, back up, I'm sorry, I said, Yeah, man, I saw I saw Lisa one day at the at the Spectrum Place in pam mcay. She walked in and smiled real funny, Hey Liza, how you doing, And all of a sudden she had like she left her while in the car, and I said, I thought that was crazy. He said, she probably thought she's gonna kick her ass. Why I'm gonna kick her ass? Oh man, that's a deal you had for for that compilation album. She told Sylvia Row you didn't want it, you changed your mind. This cost me one hundred thousand dollars man for rich Bill talked, she went up there and told the people that she didn't want to The people did call that day. He what he told me was He says, you get any calls for Alonzo or Charles sent him to me. Okay, So when the phone call, he didn't know what was going on. They called looking for me. He sent the call to her. So then she says, oh, uh, we had they had a conversation, they had a meeting, and they changed their mind. She thought it was funny and cute. So we was trying to figure out what happened to the phone call because she didn't want spot of mind. That was trained up a fucking old school hater ade bottom line. So when she saw me in Spectrum, she thought I was gonna kick her ass. I didn't know she had done what she had done yet. She knew what she had did, but she didn't know I didn't know that. I didn't know what she had done. So it wasn't ntil later on we had the conversation till the all fucking came around three sixty. Why would she do some shit like that?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 3: You have to understand back then, it was we were very competitive, man. It was shady, dudeh was real, especially in the record business. So everybody because you gotta understand, even though uh we was dann promoters I'm still wrecking Crew, He's still unking jam varm Me and that motherfucking few nigga. It just you just kate. We couldn't get over that shit. For for Recond Crew to get a hit for one hundred thousand was gonna offset the balance of power back then. And that's what it comes back, and that's what it boiled down to. Okay, And as far as I can think, that was just some old school I can fuck over this nigga because we had had some issues back in the day, man that you wouldn't understand. You wouldn't believe, dude. What was the biggest issues was the gangsterism get involved?
Speaker 2: Like what was it? I kicked? I kicked it.
Speaker 3: I had to kick a lot of ass back of the day as a DJ cause nigga didn't want to pay you. Sometime in the record industry, we didn't get that much, uh, that much gangsterism in the beginning. Now I had to go to Macolda and put a gangster mash down on his ass the ship ice Cube did in the movie. He got that from me. I did that to Macolda first, but I made te it off the lights. That motherfucker. He called them all back in. He had like twenty thousand, and he had like twenty thousand copies in the warehouse. I said, it was like on Monday. I said, hey, man, I'm gonna come back and get them records. On went on Thursday, all right, no problem. I had to fall back to Maccolda on Tuesday half a more, gone, what the fuck my records at man? Oh, I had to had to crush him up because they have no space.
Speaker 2: Broke your record? No, no, that's he said. Back door.
Speaker 3: The motherfucker his secretary, white girl. You know we can break her off from time to time. She keep us up on the lady school. From that motherfucker. Your records, he sent me an She said, if I called her back, your records are on Pico and so and so Street. Sure enough, I pulled up. They unloaded my shit. So I went back to Maccola the next day, Unknown called him off. I said, hey, I don't know what you did. The lonzo. That motherfucker is coming to kick your ass down. I walked in that motherfucker, I grabbed this goddamn golf club and I started tearing this office up. That motherfucker started throwing me some motherfucker stacks of money. Tell me about seventy five hundred dollars.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yes, I went back to the rest of the the next day and got the rest of my goddamn records. No bullshit.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, man, because you've been depicted in a lot of movies now, and that's all I can go off because I wasn't there back then. The way they paint your character in these movies, that you had a very great dislike hip hop, that you didn't.
Speaker 3: Like it, that's the biggest live of fucking toe man. The first motherfucker bringing hip hop actor Los Angeles, I'm the first one to bring the curtains, blow and run d MTDLA.
Speaker 2: No, let's say they say he didn't like gangster shit. Nope, that's what they're saying. No, understand this, Yeah, that's what they're saying. Understand this.
Speaker 3: When it came to nw A, my only problem with them was the fucking name. Man.
Speaker 2: I'm born in the fifties. I'm sixty six years old.
Speaker 3: When as I grew up as a young man in Compton, when I heard somebody call somebody a nigga, it was a negative connotation. It was nothing there was not a term of endearment. It was not a term of endearment. My daddy saw nigga that nigga, Oh my god, that nigga. Don't nigga your car up shit like that. That's my daddy told me that shit, so I couldn't get with the name. Second of all, when they first came out, they were not doing gangster rap. They were doing reality rap. Something here, something to dance to, Panic Zone, Charles Wright's songs. Uh, what you doing I'm talking about when they was in jail, express yourself. That was that what they was doing where. I think the biggest problem me had on the West Coast is, man, if people don't realize mostly cats don't know what the fuck I had to go through to get this ship, keep this ship going. I'm not gonna take credit for by myself. I can't do that. I cannot say he didn't tell you Lonzo did the West Coast by herself. That's bullshit. Lonzo had Roger Roger clated from Uncle Jam's Army Rest in peaceknown DJ. We three were three musketeers of this shit.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they want to do any goddamn talking though, and see.
Speaker 1: I know you can't speak for Unknown, and I don't know that, brother, but if A would have had some legal representation, because you weren't even eighteen yet, was no and so to Eights Publishing. And I ain't trying to hold you account for that. Let me tell you something. This is what I say when it comes to I always tell niggas niggas had to pay their dues. That's why I look at it like now I'm fifty two years old, but I tell every nigga that a lot of us had to pay our dues. When it came to getting into, uh, the music business. I had no fucking idea how I was gonna actually make a record. I used to be in the garage at the Homie House making TDK tapes like Toddy T talking about the hood, rapping about gangster shit and niggas who sold dope and the homie who went to the fucking jail last night. So by the chance meeting of Lonzo getting on the Compton compilation is how we met Unknown. A known had techno hop a known had.
Speaker 2: Iced tea your dog in the wax you don't quitch songs like that, he had keen t he had the coolest and you better bring a gun. So from there, Uh going to Lonzo's fucking with Slip. We met Unknown Ann had techno hop. I think we put out a fucking We put out an EP on cassette This is Compton and had three songs on it. I think, give it up, this is Compton. I give up nothing. The plan was what Unknown told us was that our record was finna come out through West Coast Record Distributors. That's what he told us, So I guess at the time, that's when y'all was going through y'all shit, shit started changing and then anone ended up meeting I forgot the dude now, no, no. He ended up meeting the white dude who worked for par Records. They had par Records back then. Chu yes, he and through Chuck he met. I forgot the dude name. But the dude had ties with Orpheus and Capitol, so aknown took them are disscontact. He met Charles Huggins and some white dude who worked He ended up working for Morgan Creek. They it was a white dude, but they took the dis iss Compton EP took it up there and that's how Unknown got a deal for us. Now I signed a recording I ain't honestly, I ain't know shit about publishing. I ain't no shit about it. I know nothing about writing your own songs and none of that shit. I was fucking seventeen, eighteen year old kid from Compton. I wanted to make records. That was my dream. You get me niggas in the hood every day selling dope, getting shot at. So it was my dream to ooh, fucking you get me, you know, to make records. You know, I don't know Texano shit ik known. I signed a contract with Unknown. It was a recording contract. I ain't know nothing about publishing. Unknown took a publishing exhibit and he stapled in on the back of the recording contract. That's how he was able to control the publishing. So but I didn't don't get your writers, no, and only gave me nothing.
Speaker 3: People to get. Even if he got the published, he was simple to get your writers.
Speaker 2: I didn't get anything A known I know. I think I think Capitol gave orpheus two fifty Charles pocketed one sixty just fuck it, and then that left anknone with ninety grand for us to do the first CMW record and I don't know, I might have got about maybe seventy five hundred.
Speaker 3: He gave me fifteen mm at the party gift.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. He gave me about I don't know, maybe seventy five. I really couldn't tell you. I was just a kid, happy because I had a record condo. Well, you got the Suzuki too, right, I got the suzuk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, breaks on this motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Ye gave me the Suzuki and he gave me about suzuki. Yeah, he gave me Cindy used to drive, yeah, right, And I had the Suzuki and Nigga we was mashing Nigga six a M radio stations at KA and you know, I'm writing all the songs slip doing beats. You know, I think we we did like three records up under Unknown, under Big Beat before I started going. I'm still living on Johnson Street. You get me A. No one had moved in sino A, No one had the German Shepherd dog.
Speaker 3: Germania, Nigga said the dogs.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah, so you know, but dog shit at least about fifteen to twenty grand yeah, custom trade. Yeah, Nigga, I'm still living on Johnson Street IVN and Suzuki around and so I'm like, I mean, we got into it one day because I started going on the road and the nigga took a thousand dollars out of my checking account because you know, he was cool with the bank. He went into my checking account, took a thousand dollars out and went bought me a portable DT machine. I said, Nigga, I don't need that motherfucker. Shit the fuck I need a nigga. I need my money. I don't need ADT machine. He was like, nigga, you stupid, you need to And from that day we fell out and he couldn't even go by the debt machine for you. I remember we was at the studio. We was at Slips that night, and I was pissed off that the nigga had spent a thousand dollars in my money. We was over Slips getting loaded. You know, we Slipper getting loaded as a motherfucker. We had Slips house getting loaded. A known over there too. He leave his check book. Me and Slip go through his check book. We seen he had just got a publishing deal with MCA for like seventy grand and they gave me twenty five hundred dollars. I wrote every fucking song on music to drive by on fucking straight, checking him on fucking it's a comptant thing. He gave me twenty five hundred dollars and walked away with sixty whatever he walked away with, and that's when I said, I got to give me an attorney, and that's when we split the deal, and that's when I finally was able to break away from Unknown. And I never I never tried to sue him. I never tried to do none of that shit. I chalked it up as I had to pay my fucking dues, you get me. That's why I looked at it. I never had any regrets about it. Other niggas was like, nigga, if I was with you, nigga, we would have went at that, nigga. But I looked at it as how else would I would have gotten a business? You feel mesion. So that's what I looked at it as. And I tell every nigga, I had to pay my dues. And if that's what you want to chalk it up, is paying my dues, because in the end of it, I'm here right now. My career went you know it went cool. I didn't hit fucking I didn't hit Dre and Snoop status. But like I tell niggas every day, I'm comfortable where I'm where I'm at. You feel me. I don't have no regrets at all.
Speaker 3: You know what, Dude, I can respect that. Man. I tell Cash all the time. Man, you should have did nothing.
Speaker 2: That ain't what I do. Man.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just certain shit I don't do. Okay, when you had to understand it, going to going going back to hip hop for a minute. Hip hop at one point in time was just like house party versus boys in the hood, just like that, like watching you're watching house party on one channel. Did you turn your channel and there's boys in the hood. That's how this ship changed. Niggas went from gunny haircuts and dancing around and hopping around and ship to shoot that motherfuckers just like that craping dude, And that's how it flipped up. Crack changed everything. I didn't see the major effect on it because by time, the EVE didn't feel it because we was niggas were still starting powder cocaine at the EVE. That was that was the drug, powder cocaine, and we shared.
Speaker 2: We couldn't come up to the Okay Man.
Speaker 3: That was the drugs. And then by the time I got to do those, my crowd got younger. So I didn't see a lot of drugs that plust I had the police at the front door. I didn't see a lot of drugs. My neighborhood changed where I grew up at cham because Castle was selling pills. Now they started they were selling weed. But now they starting to sell crack and ship started changing real hard in like the late eighties early nineties.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went back to the Eve again, man, and I went back to the even the nineties. Man, I went to come up to the Eve, I was like, boy, it's treacherous around Okay that went as the dog was.
Speaker 4: That bad man.
Speaker 3: When I came back in the nineties, he was rough for me.
Speaker 2: Man. That neighborhood around.
Speaker 3: First opened the Eve up and seventy nine, I wore a suit to work every day because I because I had to, because I wanted to. That was the vibe of the Eve. When I came back in ninety two, Nigga had to wear genis and tennis shoes everyday because Nigga was fighting. Man. It wasn't even like. It wasn't even the party no more. It was wait to see how many niggas gonna get fight, how men niggas gonna fight tonight. I couldn't even sit in the office. I used to be telling me, I go to my office, have me a girl back. Should be people be listening to this ship. I'll be getting caught up on this ship. But uh, i'd had company, and now I got to walk the floor like my security guards. Man, I'm wearing I went dressed like I am right. He was a whole. It was a whole, different atole different.
Speaker 2: Man, motherucking av line and Elsi Dondo. You got your Giama village down the street. You got Athens Park, you got the motherfucking you can senten of your one five.
Speaker 3: Garden peas.
Speaker 2: Man, It's surrounded by nothing but the blood homies, so you all ain't ever perform up there. Man. I think I went up to the eve one time, man, and we snuck up in there. That place was treacherous. Man.
Speaker 3: If you if you came with my brother, my brother was a shotgun, you was all right. My brother ran with the shotguns, but he also lived. He went to school of Guardena where he lived with my mama. My daddy had the patent guard diener so he would hang with the bloods during the evening time, but go to school with the crips and shotguns. But my daddy had a line in the service. We cut lines under three and one three five, So I knew everybody. And because I never gang bang, I got a music pass because I'm the DJ. I said, DJ cool, he cool, he you know, that was my thing. That's why I never tripped on shit like that, because I had the music and I was doing parties in nineteen seventy six everywhere watch Compton Gardena essays. UH didn't make no damn difference. So the music was always my past. But when I got to the Eve, I got a different kind of pass. Going to that loneso spy. He don't really gang bang, but everybody knew my and they knew where it was, so that they came respectful when they did come, even like Snake Puppy from La Dream Team. He told he was telling me, told me many a time. Him and the Egyptian lover he used to walk to that motherfucker from UH. They lived on sixty something. They would walk through the eve and didn't didn't trip. When Snake Puppy lived in Watts Egypt, lived across town someplace, they would walk sixty blocks in the eve because the eve said, oh until five o'clock in the morning. It wasn't always fucked up. It got fucked It didn't have its issues. Don't get me angle sitting sit here, live about nothing. We did have our issue. We had our bad nights. Okay. Sometimes if turn people got outnumbered, it go down. But for the most part, in the early days, it was a piece of cake. It didn't get really rough. Taill the ship man right before I got ready to shut it down. After it shit started happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I want to go back to something real quick. You the one your company initially put the Compton compilation out, correct. Yeah, So that means that those groups on that compilation, if a deal was to rise out of it the summer, it seemed like they would have went through you.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 3: Com just most wanted went through Unknown, but another c went through My boy Charles hit a single deal with her went through PG thirteen went to Unknown also, So it was my pot he was. He was a part of West Coast, but the groups didn't come to West Coast. You followed me by the time we started having issues, so I didn't want Why.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like you didn't have first DIBs at trying to get those groups deals since all of them came through Crew Cut.
Speaker 3: You know what, I've always been a little bit different minded, man, because at that time, new hip hop was so new. I got the studio, I'm doing clubs. I'm getting the asks all the time I've been here. You know, give me something, give me something, go, give me something. Go. That was always my attitude. Okay. I was always on a different situation. I provide the platforms. I didn't really want to be nobody's manager. I'm not a producer. I don't make beats. And Jerry Hiller was with you at first. Jerry Hiller was with me first. I don't make beats our own studios, our own nightclubs, our own platforms. I give people the shots. Okay, I provide an opportunity. So if I give you opportunity and somebody says, hey, man, one of my boys, like right even right now, I ain't made a record of dad in the thirty five years, Man, I got this dude, I got, I got a rapper or I got when I got this, I bake beats. I still hook people together right to this day. I get my money now, I do a little bit different, but I hooked people up. That's what I've That's what I've always done. I'm not about an artist. I've made records, I write songs, but I'm not a fucking artist, per se. I ain't you know, nigga put me against a thousand motherfuckers. I'm still gonna be last when it come to rapper. But when it come to motherfucker, they put niggas on. Anybody put more niggas on to me.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this, man, did Jerry ever come to you because you looked them up with easy in them, right, sir? Did he ever straighten you out for that?
Speaker 2: Hell no?
Speaker 1: Let me ask you this. And you know I'm trying to say that. Ain't no other way. That's what Jerry Hillar a crook, Jerry Hillo. It depends on how you want to how you define crook. I wouldn't call him a crook, but he was smart. He knew what he was dealing with and he knew like, uhnn.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm gonna say people other people did take advantage of certain people exactly. That's why I've always I always felt that he did not want me too close to the fellas.
Speaker 2: Understand this.
Speaker 3: I'm in business at nineteen DJ and already I got my first club at twenty two. I know how to count, I know twenty percent equals. And Jerry had already experienced my business acumen when we got our CBS deal. Because when I got my CBS deal, we got head hunted from by Larket Arnold, Larkin Arnold's big time producer bad Boy from uh He the one discovered Frankie Beverly and Maze brought Marvin Gay over to CBS, the whole nine yards. So we got head hunted from a Coola to go to CBS Sony. And when it came time to do the deal, Jerry didn't get me the deal. I got my own damn deal. So now come time and do the paperwork. I don't have a manager. Jerry wants to be my manager. I called my lawyer. I said, Hey, my name is kN Claven still around. I said, Ken, do I need a manager for this project? He said, for what you need a manager for? I said, well, don't you need a manager to do Yourn said, No, I'm gonna do the negotiations. All your manager gonna do is call you and tell you what I said. Then you're gonna say yes or no. He gonna call me and tell me yes or no. Okay, so cut out the middle man, buy your stuff a cell phone and be ready to answer the phone. That's how I learned the game. Because they wouldn't given record music business lessons back then. Hell, they wasn't given lessons out then. Okay, what no YouTube was, no no books, wasn't no music universities. So if you didn't know somebody that was gonna put you up on some game, you wasn't gonna get none. So he charged me. I think it was like seventy five hundred dollars. Do do the negotiations with the with Sony. I'm learning the game. He explained this shit to me. As I'm going I'm getting bill for it. But it's the best lesson I ever got. You get bill for college, you see what I'm saying. So as this shit is going on, I'm learning the game. So now Jerry realized that this motherfucker's pretty smart. He don't need.
Speaker 2: He don't need me.
Speaker 3: So I saved the crew twenty grand by doing the deal myself, because if we had, if we had to deal deal with Jerry, we had to give Jerry twenty thousand plus get a lawyer seven thousand. That's twenty seven thousand off of one hundred. Now we got a seventy thousand dollar budget to work with because I did the deal with myself instead of having seventy five hundred, Now we got ninety seven thousand.
Speaker 2: To work with.
Speaker 3: Makes sense to me, make a big difference. They make a bigg ass difference. And I bought my own studio. I bought my own demo studio, made all my beasts at the pad first, then went to the big studio and recorded that shit. So now I got all this equipment, I got a studio, I got we got twenty grand extra to spend to fuck off or whatever. That's what we did, fuck it off, Okay. And this is how I was always taught to think. So I had a different mindset. I wasn't stuck on being the artist. I wasn't stuck on being a label on a per se. I was just trying. I was trying to get about to get us the game as fast as possible. You were a businessman. I was a businessman, but my only problem was with the music ship and the music but shifted being of my business. They got more gangsters, got more straight shit. I backed up because that ain't what I do. I don't want to ask. So you saw Sugar and all of them come in. I saw all them coming in, and my experiences out of Compton as a young man growing up realized. I realized, if you ain't prepared to kill a motherfucker, leave me alone.
Speaker 2: Okay, I didn't been in.
Speaker 3: Through a lot of shit. Man shot it motherfuckers, and I ain't no gangster. I didn't shot it motherfuckers, then shot at the whole nine. If that's not that's not what I fucking do. So I don't want to go back through that ship. So surviving Eve after Dark, surviving do though, surviving Skateland, I don't want to be. I don't want to be a motherfucking gangster man. I'd have done some gangster shit, but that ain't what I that's that's not my my forefront. I'm like any other motherfucker. I nigga. I do what I got to do to survive, but that ain't what I do.
Speaker 1: You know, seeing you go through your it's funny, man, your history kind of parallel what I go through right now because I was one of the first dudes in LA doing podcasts, okay, so I helped the lot of people out, really genuinely try to help motherfuckers out. A lot of times was losing money, you know, with helping people. But it always comes back in the end that you can never satisfy people. You're never satisfied people. You go always get blamed for everything.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It's definitely a bit should deal with artists. When you deal with artists, a lot of times, if they're successful, it's all about me. But if you fail, niggas your fault. I didn't write that shit. I just well, you didn't do this. So people usually wanted to make a scapegoat. I know, I didn't want to be nobody es scapegoats. I'd rather give you a shot being gonna do your things. Good luck, good luck, And that's always been my motherfucking forte Well.
Speaker 1: I like eights attitude with it all because I always feel like if somebody give you an opportunity to change your life. You gotta take the bidder with the suite. Definitely, they will never be perfect. But I look at it like right now, like if Charlemagne called me tomorrow and see it. Hey, man, we can't fuck with the show no more. I ain't got nothing bad to say about it. That motherfucker do some pretty good money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just people expect, you know, your attitude to be different. I don't know. Like I said, i'n't been through a lot of other ship and from the situation that you know that happened, you know what I'm saying, just a couple of weeks ago. I'll be like, Man, it's it's just another lesson learned, and from from from where out in been now. I done been places. Motherfuckers will never go you give me for I haven't been around the world. You give me foreign countries and all kinds of shit. So I just tell niggas, you know, you gotta pay your dues when you gotta pay your dues with anything though, you know what I'm saying. So that's why I never go around and try to, you know, push that narrative of really just bad mouth and motherfuckers like some motherfuckers do try to stay away from the negative bullshit. You know, sometimes you might, you know, get questioned about certain shit, but in all, in all, I tell a nigga, I wouldn't trade it for nothing, you get me.
Speaker 3: I think I am crushed about that corny shit though, Well, well I'm hurt. I'm hurt, nigga, I'm.
Speaker 2: Listen my opinion because you know what I'm saying. Like you said it, though, let me put it in a different perspective. Our shit was a lot of dance orientated music, you get me. We didn't have the you know, like you said, the first shit you probably heard when my nigga was talking some street shit was Toddy t you feel me. So a lot of our music was electro, electro, electro funk. I mean, we had breakdancers, we had pop lockers and shit. So I'll put it in that perspective. Crew Cut gave us a platform to be able to put out records because nobody else did that. We I was influenced by gangster shit. I don't know why. I mean, I grew up in Compton. I was fucking gang banging at thirteen, fourteen years old.
Speaker 3: At even at our Lady of Victory was gang banging.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I know about that too. Yeah. Even when I went to our Lady of Victory, I was gang banging. I was claiming trag New Park. So you know, I was just influenced by street shit. And you know, and I had a mama who worked every day hard, had a father who worked at General Motors down in Southgate. But I don't know. It was just the niggas down the street with the with the hood rats and the motherfucking slanging dope. And you know, I think when I was coming to Yo Crib, my cousin gave me my first deuceduce. So we used to come over there strapped up and forty ounce and smoking weed and shit like that.
Speaker 3: And I was but they never disrespected me.
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, we never disrespected.
Speaker 3: Whatever side you rolling with. That's cool.
Speaker 2: We never brought no, I mean, because like it was a gang of niggas from different sides. But yeah, we got along with everybody up there when we would be there. We never had no confrontations or nothing. Now, some niggas did follow me over there one day, but when I pulled up at your spot and they knew it was your spot, they was like all right, nigga, But yeah, it could have been vicious because I mean we was gang bang.
Speaker 3: And that's why I've always stayed neutral to the ship. I know niggas where I live at. Yeah, one side is blood, one side is cript. Yeah, I just have to live in the middle. Okay, both of them know me all up, know me? Okay.
Speaker 2: I used to come up one hundred and twenty. If and you come up one hundred and twenty, if it'd be some niggas see you, nigga, they follow you right over there. What you doing over here, nigga? And they see where you at, they like, oh, all right then and pull off.
Speaker 1: Then I want to go back to this Jerry Hiller ship real quick, because he was with you first. Right, So he never came back and said, you know what, Lonzo, you hooked me up.
Speaker 2: With this or that. I'm no, he never said he never did nothing like that.
Speaker 3: Man. In fact, when I never get I never get it. I never got mad at Jerry. I never I didn't trimp on him because easy always find something for me to do. From time to time. I was like the layersione for Roofless Records comp The Lason When there was a problem. I'd always easy drek. Jerry would call me up here, man, we got some problem, he goes, he goes Somebodey, go take take care of this for us right quick. You know I ain't mad about that. You know, at that time, I was cool, man, I was just cool, not being caught up in the bullshit. I don't do bullshit very well, okay, like you like eight, I'm a goddamn Gemini. Don't let these smiles and jokes get it get you fucked up. Okay, So I didn't want to put myself in that position.
Speaker 2: The one time I.
Speaker 3: Met with Should, I had read the problem with Sugar. I had an interaction with Sugar. It was like, dude, I ain't that one. I'm cool, but I ain't that one. And we shook hands, walked away from it, left it alone. Is Jerry Hiller was one of them casts man that he had a lot of connections. It was a more advantageous to be on his good side than his bad side. Either a vindictive motherfucker. He could be very vindictive, okay, And if I needed something, I can call him up. He can give me a referral connection. Blah blah blah. When I had turned off lights even though he wasn't my manager. Oh yeah, he wasn't my manager. We went around and just shopped the deal, okay. Or when it came to easing them, I didn't think that was gonna fly, Doc, because Jerry hit me up a few days after that situation went down and he asked me, says, Lonzo, how does a Jewish man from the valley within a group from Compton called Nigga's attitudes? And I told him very carefully, and I didn't think the relationship was gonna work. I swear to god, I didn't. Because Jerry was used to dealing with me Egypt and Rudy and some other folks. Easy was a totally different situation. Easy carried his money in his sock. Easy would have a fucking look like he had an anchor bracelet on sometime. He ever swearched money in his fucking sock, paid in cash, everything. And once Jerry realized that he had something that was workable, I felt that he may have taken advantage of them. Because understand this, Jerry always and this time I learned from him. I never got sued. I never got sued. If I'm ana crook, well, why nobody ever sued me, simply because once you signed the contract, nigga, you're great to that shit. That's the fucking deal. You can't go to the judge crying now because you didn't need the goddamn contract. So when I talked to Yeller about the situation, he's probably the main what I say in contact with you know, they got he got some money, but nobody got what they deserved. Even Drake didn't get what he was deserved. Because when they first formed nw A, it was supposed to be a partnership. Okay, it was formed in my living room. They got the name and where they came up with the name and concept at at Arabian princiss Pad. But they started talking about the deal that my house because I kind of had a little input and they were easy. Wanted to start a record label. He wasn't gonna be on the label. He wasn't gonna be an artist. He wanted to put the money behind the project. These people forget about this kind of shit he was gonna put just like you saw in the movie him just wanted to be a label owner. HBO the gout Homeboys only coming to the path. They happened in my house for real, And so them niggas really told Ray that shit was girl. They didn't. They didn't like this shit. They was from New York, they don't. The cars didn't hop in New York back then. So people forget all this shit. Man, it was a different time. This ship is not. You can't compare today to nineteen eighty five eighty six. It was two different worlds. They still, you know, even n w A, like I said before, they still had to do records like Something to Dance To in Panics on which which were produced by Arabian Prince that if you put some breathing on the ship, it could have been a record crew song just to get on the radio. Because they hadn't. They hadn't.
Speaker 2: It hadn't been in steven A Yeah, transitioned over.
Speaker 3: Yet, had transition yet good looking, He had hadn't transition yet to the gates and ship yet. When Easy wanted me to get help him, and Easy wanted me to get him to get him to Greg macause Greg back was my guy, Greg me, Greg Mac and Roger Me and Greg Mac had had a business arrangement. Roger was our competition. Fuck Roger and Uncle Jam's Army because they they was dissing everybody. That was our attitude. Greg was bringing me actions, Dudos, ll cool J New Edition, all kind of mo every weekend. We asked somebody different at Dudos. Because Greg was hooking the shit up. We was making money. He was paying our records on the radio, the whole nine yards. We had a hell of a thing going on if he played. He had them on Duodos on Friday and uh fucking Sherman Sherman Square on Saturday. We was killing that ship and an easy one to get in the mix. But he was cussing on the record, So that's when you started getting all the reverses and the beeps and ship. That was the first time it happened.
Speaker 1: Records was a big deal back then. Yes, definitely, Yes, that was a big deal back then. I even heard motherfucker saying you can go to jail for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was a dude. Look, the scene is straight out of Compton when I get on Dre's ass. The real story behind that was because at Dudos, I'd hire off through the cops to.
Speaker 2: Be my security.
Speaker 3: Doodos is right next door to Pyrout like that parking lot across the goddamn driveway, doodles. Is that the pyrout, the mecca of all bloods, is right there next to the right next door to that. So in order for me to make that happen, I had to have some security. That was the old man's deal. You gotta have security. I recommend off through the cops. But guess what I got a first cousin. My mama's sister's brother, My mama and sister's son is on the Compton PD. He ran the swap. He ran the security for the swap meet. Reggie Wright Senior was one of his boys. The game detailed, dude. So I had him, Huey Taylor, all of them doing due security for me. At dudos, I'm giving him one hundred and twenty five dollars there you had, Reggie, right, Reggie Wright sor you know what. Reggie Wright Senior was an important piece of comptent.
Speaker 2: Yeah right.
Speaker 1: He was one of the first people that really exercised the community police in the work. He wasn't just throwing motherfuckers in jail, right. He would talk to motherfuckers. He would take your pistol from you. Now whatever, you know, if you asked some shit, but he wasn't just so quick to throw a motherfucking jail.
Speaker 3: So when casts came to Dudos and saw Reggie, oh shit, this motherfucker know me. Everybody in line. So we had something that dodos. Me and Greg had something that you couldn't fade. You couldn't fade if you wanted to. And the shit just blew up. And this is how shit started developing. But Jerry Heller didn't understand the the all the different parts that was making this shit happen. So because I had Greg back, me and me and him was still tight to this day. I got Dudos and I got my coola. We gotta try effected. We're making our own records, we gotta get airplay on the radio, and we got a place to uh to perform at. So everybody's coming to the niggas is taking their chances come to Dodo to perform. So that was my that was my forte and more over everything which providing platform because if I started doing too much management, I can't do it. I got to stop and do some other ship.
Speaker 1: Now you knowing so much about the music industry, man, this changed drastically today with the whole streaming and every act like that. I saw that snoop recently. It took all the death Row stuff. When he acquired the death Robe alog or whatever, he took it off the streaming platform to all the streaming platforms, and he put it back up.
Speaker 3: I guess he said to Fine, you know why he did that. When you, as ship gets on the streeping platforms, depending on what platform that gets goes onto, you get an r S S number, r S S feed number. Okay, those numbers, if they don't coincide, your money can get get scattered exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So in fact, I'm going through the same ship right now. My records have been on so many compilations. I'm on MLC, I'm on Sound Exchange. You got your b and my ship, and if you don't have the same numbers, you won't get credit for the ship. So I had to hire a publishing manager for the first time to go in, go to find all my ship, not just record crew, because I got a catalog. I got two hundred songs. With my catalog of other ship, find all my songs, make sure make sure they all have the same uh correct uh rn C coats, and not only for America, but overseas Canada, England, Japan, all that ship. So that's the fun job. So I would think Snooper do the same thing. I'm gonna take all my ship off the air right now, get all this ship straight and put it back now it's gonna be corrected. A lot of money gonna go to the right people. Oh so he probably had checks going all all kinds of fact. The potet's not baby the poet, or you might not get your money at all. And that was something that was a problem for me because I had so many songs, and I think something, it is.
Speaker 2: Me, not ship. I got this. You got so many songs and ship, and they got so many different codes from the old motherfuckers who register.
Speaker 3: I got you on Thump Records, which is universal, and then they thought they all coldesh or youre fucking with Thump.
Speaker 1: I did well, Bill, I didn't want to say his name. That motherfucker over there, one of the jankies. Motherfuckers.
Speaker 3: When you do compilations, if mother I got any kind of junk on them, your should have end up with a new code so he can get paid.
Speaker 1: So what I'm saying, so like they did with the physical ship back then they'll put a different borough code.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: A motherfucker tell you all, man, you did you shipped out five thousand units? And really he don't shipped out thirty of them motherfuckers because he don't send ten over the year up, he don't send another ten in Japan because I had a thing, man, me and big A had a sweet thing going on. I had a hook up in Japan, dog with tower records to where they were buying from me. Cood. I was sending them motherfuckers two thousand records. Dog, I get my money right then. And there Dog, we selling the motherfuckers eight dollars a piece. Dog, I was distripping and dashing them.
Speaker 3: Shit.
Speaker 1: Dog, we was doing that shit dog. And it's a funny thing. And dash my nigga, he'll tell you. I remember it was a holiday, right, and lay usually sending us our money. It was coming up on Christmas, right, It's like in December, December like eighteenth for some shit like that. She tells me, She says, you know our banks are closed over here. I'll be able to get you the money like two days after Christmas or some shit like that. Right, So you know, niggas used to get their money, cood. So I put dashing them on the motherfucking email right, you know, so they could see it wasn't no ship, me telling y'all you niggas be right. So they just go back on the motherfucking say bit. Just shoot the motherfucker. I say, oh my god, oh my god.
Speaker 3: All that relationship cultivated over the years is just gone. Now.
Speaker 1: She says, no problem, I will send you the money myself. She send me the money. Dog, I sent her some ship a few weeks later, like a one sheet. Didn't get no response. Dog, that was just that quick. It was due quick.
Speaker 3: People don't understand. You can't take that book, take the street, ship to the to the to them folks.
Speaker 2: They work.
Speaker 3: Let's get the ship out of the man. They'll fuck with you, but that's gonna be cut your ass off.
Speaker 2: Like immediately, like I'm done fucking with you.
Speaker 3: Yes, yeah, man, that's one thing about the recommendness I missed, dude right now. I mean when we do certain projects, Man, if you had a good an, it wasn't your project. If you know what what the spots was, the co D spots, you can take a hundred seat until I'm sorry a couple thousand CDs down to a spot pick up fifteen twenty thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: Bro, I had it for a minute, man cash before dramming them got cracked. I don't want to say too motherfucker much, but but before dramming them got cracked, Dog, I was probably doing about Man, we was probably doing about anywhere from sixty to a buck twenty a month. My nigga, that's how I like, really, Dog, That's how I made my bag. That's how I bought my first house. Dog, That's how I did a lot of shit. Dog put a son through college with that money. My oldest son ate college off that money.
Speaker 3: Dog.
Speaker 1: Because I had a distribution set up around the world. I had a company in England called Altered Ego and started an urban division, so all the shit out of the United States from the West Coast, I was distributing out there outside of my own shit, right, I had so much stuff going. And the one mistake I made, Dog was putting it. If I wouldn't have put them on that email, cause there's a whole different nigga. Now that is way different now. You know, back then, there's a cut of motherfucker. You know, what I'm saying, Bis where the money at? Give me that, you know what I'm saying. But it got fucked off that quick. If I wouldn't put him on that, I'd probably still be eating with them, motherfucker.
Speaker 3: I had deals with Blue Dolphin and a few other people, man, and the same kind of thing. Dude. You just if you had a relationship and you dropped some ship, they gonna they're gonna order a thousand just to test it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's why it was.
Speaker 1: I think my smallest order would be from over there would probably be anywhere from five hundred to a thousand, because that was just them trying some shit out and it wasn't no coming back. That's what I love about it, all that shit about returns and shit, because I'm gonna tell you that, motherfucker. You know your boy from City Hall, right, he was good for that. Walk probably still holding on the motherfucker's reserves up there.
Speaker 2: They had the reserves.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, returns and shit, you'll be a year later, Walk, When can we settle this? My nigga, ain't no CD's coming back now? Oh well, I don't know, man, because they can come back at any time.
Speaker 2: That's gay.
Speaker 1: It was just a great pier because I remember I would be able to go holler at Violet Brown directly. She was one of the few buyers that would just it up and talk to independence anybody because she knew the power of it. She knew she fucking around to give some ship. She said, well, you know what, she would put motherfuckers in that Lakewood location when it was there, the Lakewood, the Arsenal Carson, the one by the mall out there was the big mart Delamo went over there.
Speaker 3: She would try you out in certain ship and she was good. It was just to me that was the gold near ship. The swap meets was always my favorite man because, uh, mister Park said, when you when you sell her to the to the swap meets, they have they got their they got their own little distribution thing. You only could tell the one dude, wherever you open up, whoever starts buying from you first, that's the one you got to stick with. You try to go to the sloughsing you finish, get you finish, cancel all your ship. But they would buy so many, Okay, I mean, mister Park at long be swap meet, I mean a cop swap meet Steve Yano, Steve Ye when Steve. When I met Steve, I was selling bootlegs, okay, and bootlegs was like like mega mixes people, you know, we'd mash them all together, and shit, I thought Steve was FBI because on them, you know, I thought he was the FBI. I had never been an Asian dude. YEA gonna put in the moment he put everybody on Okay. But like I said, when I first met him, he was selling to buy an R and B shit. And I brought him to the Pad. He met Dre, he met Easy. They all go to the swap Meet, started mixing it and cube they used to they make it to swap meet, and it just made for a hell of a situation. But I'm gonna say that he would he would buy so many records for me, and one time I'd have to make a custom order just for him, as I had made so many bootlegs made, it must have been like fourteen to fifteen of them, so I'd had to you know, he'd give me an order, I need one hundred and fifty this. I would literally have to go down on Friday and make two trips just to get his stuff. And then go back to see mister Park and everybody else. Man then with some good ass times, yes, and ain't then like some good old steak and ass money.
Speaker 2: Used to do nothing like it shit.
Speaker 1: It used to be all green man. I swear man one time. Man, I remember I made a run all the swap meets right. I did a swap meat run because I used to have had the T shirts and the motherfucker you know, CD's and shit dog. I made a swat meat run dog a winner. Saw a few of my independent retailers. I came home one Saturday. Man was probably about twelve thousand dollars, just that quick dog. He ain't gone about four hours.
Speaker 3: I had a spot out in uh and see me valley. I'd go to this Arab dude. I'd have a truckload of shit and I had a suburban back then, so ebend be full, come out to the parking lot, bucle bumper, hit the ground, cat, get to the spot, unload the shit, and he would give me a check and I would be nervous as fuck. He said, no, no, no, don't worry about it. Don't worry about it. He called his bank, tell him I'm coming his bank was in a building on Beverly Hills on no Cannon drive up on like the second or third floor. No sign, says bank, no nothing, no tailers or nothing, no tailers or nothing. You you know, you walking through the door, and he says, go to the suite right here, and it's a small little bank and they don't have a plexiglass and shit, they just got desk. And he made the phone call. And he made the phone call to verify who I was. He says, yet, and she gave me a stack of money like it wasn't shit, and you just walk out. I mean, it's it's just so different, man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you knew how I found about them bangs. Dog, I got some crazy stories fucking with his music business.
Speaker 2: Dog.
Speaker 1: I met a motherfucker dog up in Hollywood Hills one night. Dog, we had a meeting. Hey, you go with this Hollywood hell shit. Ain't no weirdshit like, okay, man, no weird Hollywood hell story.
Speaker 3: This ain't no weird shit, ain't no pentagrams or no shit like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good, okay. Ship. So I meet with this cat man.
Speaker 1: He actually was one of the co founders of Netflix, but he had got bought out or whatever. Like that, and he would get like a I think he would get like a two million dollar chick every quarter.
Speaker 2: That was like his thing. Right.
Speaker 1: So but when I went to this dude's house, I noticed he had a whole bunch of gang bangers living up there. I guess there was his protectors, right, and they was trying to stop niggas from talking to him.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying. They was trying.
Speaker 1: So I go to meeting and then everybody in my face asked me what I'm doing up there in this net. So we meet and talking like that. So it was a movie.
Speaker 2: I had a script that he liked.
Speaker 1: Right, dude cut me in check that night, man for like eighty five thousand dollars, right, he Oh, come back in another week. I'm gonna have another check for eighty five. So I'm like, shit, we winning. I go right to posits that motherfucker and the shit clear. The lady told me, My Taylor told me, she said, you know, fucking with checks. I don't like fucking checks. I always give it to my girl. A see if this motherfucker got the funds in there. So yeah, she said, funds available. Now, the nigga that hooked me up with the nigga. I shoot him ten just that quick, like here you go, you know gone? Now you know this is all you get?
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: He get his tin or whatever. Dog we get on. I go to the bank dog like a week later for some shit. Dog we about to start shooting a movie. My bank account balance is like neggative sixty. I say, what the fuck is a I'm like this, nigga, don't put a cancel a cancelation on a motherfucking check. That nigga, Glasses Malone. I go to this nigga's house.
Speaker 2: He don't.
Speaker 1: He ain't ask from the door. Them niggas is there, Like, man, told you should have went through us. Man, he'd be doing shit like that, right, So it's a broad there.
Speaker 2: Dog.
Speaker 3: He buying motherfucker's cars and all kind of shit.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I go up there, man, I finally catch the motherfucker, Me and Glasses Malone. He can verify this story. We waded outside the motherfucking crib. I'm in one of the glasses. He had this station wagon cause I ain't want the nigga to see my truck or nothing like that.
Speaker 2: We catch him.
Speaker 1: Glasses jump off the nigga, cauz, we need that bread, right, so we catch the motherfucker. I grabbed the nigga, I.
Speaker 3: Put him my car. I said, nigga, we gonna go get that motherfucker money.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: This nigga took me to three or four different motherfucking ATMs. We went to one ATM cause he had a lot of different accounts, right, and I didn't. That's when I found out a nigga get as much money as they want to from ATM. He give me five thousand from that motherfucker. We going to banks. The last bank we went to was this bank. Dog like you talk about. We go up and that motherfucker ain't no tailor's day. I thought this nigga was gonna call the police and some shit.
Speaker 2: Though.
Speaker 1: I thought we was gonna he's gonna call the police. He goes up in there. He give me the rest to the motherfucking money man. But I don't fuck with checks at all, dog, because of that ship. Don't fuck with him at all. My last check I took on the road. That motherfucker still bounce. Oh, Dog, you can't fuck with him because that's what I found out. What he did was he had the money. But if I give you a check to date, my nigga, you can cancelor check two months from now.
Speaker 2: Whenever you want to.
Speaker 1: Motherfucker cancelor check a wire, they can reverse that motherfucker whatever to try to.
Speaker 2: But it's only so long. You can't reverse a wire.
Speaker 1: If I send you some money today, I can't go back two months from now and say, hey, man, I want my money back. You know what I'm saying. You just can't do that shit dog. Well, this is what I want to ask you. When to come to the frooking shit and everything? Man, when is the last time you talked to Unknown two days ago? You think he can come on the show.
Speaker 3: No, No, he's will not do interviews. No, I had a podcast that he was on. He said, he said behind the camera the microphone. He will not come on do an interview. He's never Yeah, he's never done. We done, We did two, we did.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 3: We did one podcast together for Red Bull. And only reason why he did that one because it was no cameras. What is he doing? Is he still music associated? Put jumper cables on my nuts right now? I couldn't tell you if you shocked the ship out of my nuts I couldn't tell you.
Speaker 1: We would love to have you come on the show man. This is your personal invitations. Ain't nobody the loan man. Some niggas, some niggas just be at a peace man, whatever it be. Can my just at least get some acknowledgement.
Speaker 2: You know what I want to tell you about this nigga is still okay unknown.
Speaker 3: I will say this man, when y'all first, when we first signed y'all, me and him together. I know this happened because I did it with him. We had a little little cassette and at three at little three songs, Yeah yeah, we would roll through Compton, through different hoods and get that cassette. That's how you promote the records back there. He didn't know where to go. I ain't getting paid on this ship. I ain't got my little change, okay, and he like Ben, come with me, come with me. So me and him would roll up and the cast are always grabbed the waistbands and shiit with y'all. Nigga, what's out? What's out?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 3: Hold on them music, motherfucker music. It's like here, nigga, take it. And that's how we got the comp most wanted thing promoted about Compton doing going going hood the hood or the wather. We could go to, yeah, hood the hood, putting this shit in there.
Speaker 2: We did the same ship and do we.
Speaker 3: Niggas was hitting their hitting their waistbands on us multiple times. Hell, old man, calm down, doctor.
Speaker 2: I had a box of them tapes and I would just roll through the hood just giving them out, giving them out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just giving them motherfuckers away. Ship eight y'all. Damn there man. You know I was talking to Chill one day he said, yore, damn.
Speaker 2: It wound up on death Row, the stories of death Row, and you know, like you said, you would have to have Slipping Unknown tell you about those death Row days. Uh. I know that we all sat up at one time and a known told us that he was fucking with sugaring them and that they was finished started label and that they was looking for a name for it. I think we came up with death Row sitting up at Hamburger Hamlet one night. And I don't know how they ended up with it, because we it was a total different. It was d E f Row. Remember they had the black coats and the good Fellow coats and all of that. Yeah, so like jam like death Jam. That's where we got it from.
Speaker 3: And I thought I heard that was a good ass name. Yeah, and then Sug. According to Yes, Sugar bought it from him and Jackson's death Row. They bought it so they wouldn't do it.
Speaker 2: So Unknown sold some shit that he didn't even think of. Well, we all thought of it. We were all at the table when we came because Unknown said that they were he had hooked up with Dre and Shug and they was finished try to you know, they were starting the label and they were looking for it. So Unknone was like, you know, let's think of some names, because we as compt as most wanted. As the time, I don't know if we had our deal. You know, probably was getting ready to play out with Orpheus or whatever.
Speaker 3: The studio with that black guy.
Speaker 2: Something alone came back with the black guy. Yeah, that was because he had took I think he had took money from Shug to start working on tracks, and you know, most of the time Slipped did a lot of the tracks. Yeah, okay, so he took money from Sug to work on tracks for I think the Convicts were supposed to be the first group, but then we were in the middle of working on music to drive by, So that was his excuse for when he had to go up to Death Row and shug like Nigga with my beats. Oh well, I'm working on Conca's most wanted record right now. So yeah, but you took my money and that's how he got the black eye. That's that's apparently what I heard.
Speaker 3: It was Wrecking Crew. People always associated us together. I thought I forgot what it was. What his attorney's name, he's attorney for uh for did Griffy? He says, the record shug beat the record crew. No, no, no, no, no no no no, that was unknown. Yes, this is why I didn't fuck with that ship, because I don't. I don't respond well to that kind of shit. I've been there before. I know the simple ship can turn into a life or death situation. Definitely, that's serious for me. Okay, that's why Nigga tap out, not because I'm a punk. I don't need the headache.
Speaker 2: All money ain't good money like that. You know, you gotta learn how to you know, I'm already making some decent money over here. You know. He he was making decent money with you know, the conscience most wanted deal. But you know, sometimes man, that it started looking a little better, you know what I'm saying. So he went over there. You know, he took money from from Sugar to do beats. And then most of the time, like I said, Slip was doing a lot of the production. So Slip had his hands full producing Comptor's Most Wanted music to Drive by Anne produced, but you know he was more the you know, hey, Slip, I'm gonna go get us this bread. I'm gonna go get us this you know, the deal, these beats for Sug. And then Anne was at the crib, you know, and chilling with the dog and Cindy and hey, you know it when Sug probably caught him up there, like, man, where my beats at? And then Nigga told me the story. They said he called him into that room and he was like, man, you know, I think y'all don't know. We gave you about twenty twenty five grand. Where's my beats? He said, Well, you know, we busy working on comptors Most Wanted. Shug said, Man, don't give a fuck about Bompton's most Wanted. You know what I'm saying, Where my beats, you know, and and they took off on him boot boom boom boom. Yeah, cause he came up to he came over with the slips the studio and we was like, why you got sunglasses on and it's night time, nigga, and you went inside the studio. It's dark as fuck is here. And I think he took the glasses off. And we was like, what the fuck happened to you my studio? I said, think what happened? Wrong place, wrong time? Yeah? Yeah, what happened that red wrong? That was That was the story.
Speaker 1: She ain't gotta feel bad, he ain't doingly nigga to kick some black ass coming about that motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Now it is a bunch, Yeah, I heard it was a gang of niggas got their asses whooped up at that at that at that office, bunch of ass. Who was going on? Is the worth of haffle? Oh?
Speaker 1: But you remember Happy for remember had with the one produced What was the manager name? I forget Happy's last name that you know?
Speaker 2: Happy? No, it was a kid.
Speaker 1: I think he was b Real's manager. He managed be Real them he got off the management game. They found that dude walking down wheelshir Man with his shirt off, like his shirt that got tore off of them. Man's halfway toward niggas walking down the street justo and just didn't And he said he wouldn't return none of his client's phone calls. Noth nigga just left the music industry. Yeah, shit ain't worth a dog. I'm gonna tell you, man, I've had some of the biggest kind of podcast podcasts that are used now on the paperwork. I just let niggas go dog because it ain't worth the fucking headaches they look.
Speaker 3: I had my DJ in back in the day and I had my clo at the club called the Current Affair, Right, niggas kids helf call up in the other niggas beefs. You'll get drugging some shit. Nigga. I've been playing the record I'm playing No Vaciline at the club, right, and people, the people on the floor is damnit because No Vazillen's probably one of the baddest fucking dish records far as dan floor period. Right, And this nigga walks into the walk to DJ booth and I got my headphones on.
Speaker 2: He talking shit, but I already paying no attention.
Speaker 3: Just shit and he and the nigga Tabby on my shoulder said, what's up? Dog Man?
Speaker 2: Took this shiit off?
Speaker 3: F you mean taking off damn floor pack took that shit off, man, And so the record kept on playing. By the time I got through argue with this nigga, the record already.
Speaker 2: Gone off with the nigga. What's up with you?
Speaker 3: Oh Man? That shit?
Speaker 2: This is my people?
Speaker 3: This and who Drey and cubed them? I mean Dre and I easing them? I said, do you know them?
Speaker 2: Na? Man?
Speaker 3: But that is just in my ship? Fuck that song, nigga.
Speaker 2: Theiggas takes shaped person fans take ship person Man.
Speaker 1: Shout out to mac t and man putting on an epic concert Man on Saturday night. Man, for sure, you know a got busy man. He had Homie cam up there, jail fell and the man Spice one Bone, Thugs, Harmony, the dog pun.
Speaker 2: It was cracking. Good night man.
Speaker 1: I'm going out the back of the club, right, I go to the back and I'm coming back in. Some nigga bump showed us with me. I'm thinking to somebody I know, right, and he whispered something in my ear. I don't hear him. Because we in emotion kind of. And I hear him say something about the show that I hear him mention one of the former co host names. So I turned around and say, man, what you say. No, I'm just saying, I'm like nigga, do I know you? People insert themselves and the other people's bullshit. Man, it's more definitely don't lost their life, dog arguing behind some shit. They don't know nothing about your business.
Speaker 2: Yeah, your your opinion is, your opinion is not warranted by by fans and motherfuckers on serious shit because they take they take shit way to the left. Man. You know, because I get I've gotten comments about nigga. Fuck you because you made a comment about Tupac and the Huge Brothers movie and whatever happened to Tupac and whatever. Niggas hate When you just make references to their fame.
Speaker 1: You can't say nothing about Tupac. Dog, you say something about Tupac, niggas gonna be in your inbox.
Speaker 2: Dog, You a hater. You stay hating on Park. You don't know me.
Speaker 1: You don't know what I hate on Mark. I got playlists devoted to this nigga. Oh my motherfucker, you talking about hate Tupac. I don't got no reason to hate too. We are this show is about commentary and other people's opinions, definitely, And the motherfucker got a right to have an opinion, got right to have You only got an opinion. You know what I'm saying, it's motherfuckers. To tell me, it's motherfuckers that waste their time. Oh man, I don't fuck with the show no more because it is. But check you wont here every day? Here you come again with your same comment.
Speaker 3: I've had people man get on me trying to get my my co host, Dusty got to try to throw him off the ship. Nigga, you mad at Dusty because he says them, I put the casting off of my show. He sends them on his show that you didn't like. I don't even know you like that.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying, man, this shit, that's my dog. We do that.
Speaker 3: Oh check out our show, folks. N W A story for a line for every two every Tuesday at six o'clock and Dusty Vision he does his show forgot what that he does his show?
Speaker 1: But yeah, we got it going on. Oh for sure, I definitely know y'all do doing your thing over there, man, I want to ask you. I want to go back to see you, kind of like a history professor.
Speaker 2: Dog. Yeah that's what. Yeah, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Am when it comes to West Coast hip hop history, the fuck early days?
Speaker 2: How did y'all all start? Like with the record shit? What made y'all? How did you be? Ain't unknown? From Detroit? Right from Detroit? Okay, So he came out here.
Speaker 3: When he came out here a bout seventy seven, he's about seventeen years old in that many he was seventeen nineteen. I'm sure than he his My record thing starts back in Compton, right there on Walnut, although I passed by about the other day. Between Central and Wilmington.
Speaker 2: There used to be a.
Speaker 3: Place called Record Shock. They sold records to all the VIPs, and so I'm talking about the disco era seventies one stop then with a one stop. In factly with the one stop. I got a job. I first got Roger from Uncle Jams Army the job there first in the sales room. I'm a DJ. I'm a young DJ no records. I'm trying to buy records whole sale. I don't have a whole sale license, but I saw in the paper New Record Shack opened it up in Compton. So I called the people up to see what's happening. She just so happy. The dude to answer the phone his name was Elionzo too, so we we's got to kicking it. He offered me a job sight unseen. I said, no, allright, got a job. I'm working at Kenny's on Rubbleskansas Central. I'm slinging shoes and I got a good thing with my manager. I get off for fixt o'clock on Saturdays. She go, do my look my dj gigs and shit. So I called Roger Uncle Jam's army, turn him onto the job. He gets the job. A couple weeks later they called up. They got a part time position in the evening times, working in the warehouse. I take the job. So I got two jobs, actually got three jobs. I'm working there working Kenny's and I'm still DJing on the weekend. I'm twenty years old. I'm twenty. So now we're doing this shit back and forth. We rolle them back and forth to Record Shack. So at one point in time, I got a kid. Now I had a kid fresh out of high school. Her birthday was here a Gemini to Bird Day was Monday, Win, Saturday, Sunday, Sunday.
Speaker 2: She was she turned.
Speaker 3: She was born on the eleventh of June. I graduated high school on the on the twelfth of June. I turned eighteen on the sixteenth of June. My whole life and I've been grinding ever since. Okay, so now I got a kid. My dad got me a job working for cal Trans on the freeway. I'd have worked there in the summertime a couple of times. I didn't like that ship. That shit dangerous.
Speaker 2: I didn't like that ship either.
Speaker 3: Okay, you've been there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because when you when you when you were youth and you get you go to jail. It's one of your punish cal Trans. Yeah, i'm working. I'm working on cal Trans on the sixth on five. Yeah. It wasn't a job that I went out for.
Speaker 3: I was I was getting paid for. I didn't like the motherfucker, Okay.
Speaker 2: And as was coming out of camp. So that's one of your punishments.
Speaker 3: So yeah, so I didn't want to go back to cal Trans. So I got a chance to go full time. And because my old man was kicking me in the ass, because I got this kid. He's like, man, you got you got to go out there to get to do the freeway ship make fuck. But offered me a full time job at Record Shack to sell record full time. I didn't worked at Cowtrans. I'm coming home dirty, smelling like goddamn freeway every day I didn't work. Now, I didn't got a taste of work of the office life. I go to work clean, come home clean, Nigga, still snipper like cologne and shit at five o'clock. So I want to do this shit. But I ain't making no money. I ain't making that much money. But I'm DJing on the weekend I'm getting I'm getting a one hundred and fifty every Friday, Saturday, sometimes Sunday. So I'm getting three hundred to four fifty every weekend. But I'm only I'm working full time at Record Shack. I'm bringing home one hundred and sixty six dollars a week. Nigga, I'm the math is bad. I'm working three days making full fifty, working Fridays making a hundred and sixty six. But what changed the game for me was I didn't care about the little paycheck. I'd go on the warehouse pull all my records for my parties on the weekend. They was paying me one hundred and sixty six. By the time I get all my records, double copies, and shit, I'm talking up with fifteen dollars. Sometime twenty dollars. I got a brand new van. I'm cleaning the chitling every damn day. They thought I was stealing, so I had but I had a hustle my own man, and I told him my own man I was I wasn't gonna work for cal Trans because he was the king of cal Trans. Back then, I worked for this record company. We filled the fuck out, we fell out. I been I been number one son champ all my life. That night I told him I wasn't gonna work for cal Trans. I was a stupid, dumb motherfucker with a kid. It's gonna be homeless if you don't get your shit together. Fuck you, I'm trying to put you in a position to do shit. He cuss me out. I go work for Record Shack, But when I'm at Record Shack, I go back. When I go back to Record Shack, I'm in the sales room. I met Calvin the VIP. I met kleaders. I met all these fucking v all these independent record stores in Nevada, in Washington, d C. I mean Washington, Seattle, Washington, Arizona. That the was on my accounts clean is on the one stop he was. He was on big bends, was bigger than the one stop he was. He damned was a b He was damn there with a one stop at one time. You're talking about John Over on Main Street. He had a one stop.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well but no Clevelands that opened up some ship like in the nineties, remember the ship they had in Lamur Park moved the sh.
Speaker 3: Oh yea yea yea yeah, yah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you're right, you're right. You at that.
Speaker 1: A lot of people don't know I Pete Records. That's little shout out to the little Homi abb. So it's on TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: He was his awful that's his family. He was getting so many records he was aboule to take. They would take a goddamn semi trucks parking in the back of the lot. Let them unload the motherfucker. He was buying so many he was moving so much product back then. But when I left Record Shock, when I got fired, finally got fired. I kept my record list all my stores and ship about two. A couple of years later, I opened the Eve after Dark. Right before I opened The Eve after Dark, being Unknown started doing these bootleg mixes. So I called all my old accounts, Cleatis and Kelvin to sell these bootlegs. So I'm in the record business now, Okay, I'm going to the swap meets. I'm making a shitload of money and I got the Eve after Dark. So I created my own little distribution network back in like eighty two. But I'm but I'm making these records. These the technically illegal low Technically, I don't know what the penalty is. All I know is on every record you see it says federal copyright. Federal means penitentiary Feds. I'm thinking I'm going to the Fed's okay, So I wanted to go legit. I bring in Run DMC at Eve after Dark. Run the first. I'm bringing Curtains Blow, Curtis Blow, A great show. We're still cool today. Behind that shit. I bring in Run DMC. They ain't shit in LA yet. They cost me five hundred dollars, three plane tickets and hotel rooms. I bring up to the Eve. They rock the Eve, but they didn't do all that good. They wasn't like Curtis Blow. Curtis blow. You know, he got the party cuts. When Run DMC rocked the crowd, run they only they played for fifteen minutes. I'm like, nigga, that's it. Curtis did like thirty five minutes, fifteen minutes, nigga two songs, and then Run did the ultimate fuck up. He dropped my mic and broke the motherfucker nigga still drop. That's to say, he dropped my mic and broke them like what runs house. When he broke my mic, pissed me off. He broke my mike. He pissed me off. And that's when I make mom goddamn group fucking. By the time I make Clientele, Yellow was already there and we started. I knew how to make records.
Speaker 2: We made.
Speaker 3: Our first song was called Slice okay, and you know, you know, I remember you remember Surgery was the first one. Slice sized just like like a run DMC record, But it wasn't. It wasn't West Coast. It was East Coast Vive and this shit might have went illuminum okay, But that was our introduction to the record business. And then by that time Dre was on the crew and we made uh, we went on made surgery shit, Drake, Drake coming to fod crazy part. Me and Dre grew up on the same street, three little four houses down for me. But he's eight years younger than me, his dad and my older sister with all partners, So I knew all his uncles and shit. I used to, you know, hang out with his uncles and shit. So when I come to and I'll open the eve. I opened the eve. I'm twenty two, by mean talking about mee, Dre, I'm twenty four. A couple of years after open the eve up right, he's sixteen maybe seventeen, Okay, So he wants to come into the club with easy and I'm like, because at that time, the dress code for clubs was pimped out and have hard throw shoes and you know, a cottage shirt, slacks. It wasn't on jens and tennis shoes back then. They come up wearing jeans and tennis shoes. Y'all can't come in. And Dre hit me, hey man, you know you know my people do blah blah blah. Deborah and Floyd and Lloyd than my uncles. Oh okay, cool man, tell you what change your clothes? Come back you good to go. Because technically the Eve I had it eighteen and over. Drey was too young, but because I knew his people, I could give him a pass. I could do that. It was eighteen because I made it eighteen. I didn't want the motherfucker to be Rumper Room. I'd rather be more like Soul trained than Rumper Room. Too many young kids, you know, she'd get to running around and want to play tagging shit.
Speaker 2: Fuck that.
Speaker 3: So I made it eighteen and over to keep it, you know, keep it on the on the grown shitphisticated, sophisticated, thank you. And when he came back, I let him up, but Easy still was dressed street Nah, you can't come in, and he got to talk and shit, so I nigga get the fuck out of here with that bullshit.
Speaker 2: Easy was talking shit.
Speaker 3: You're talking. Oh, I can't this Eve up the dark. I gotta done. Yes, you do, motherfucker. If you want come in my spot, you do. And people think me and Easy hated. No, we didn't hate each other. We both too shit talking motherfuckers. So he talked shit. I talked ship back to him. Even after he got paid, we still talked shit to each other. Little motherfucker, give me my goddamn money. Oh, Jerry curR, nigga, you got a Jerry Cole to your ship, nigga like mine. So this is kind of this is the kind of relationship being easy. Easy came to my house after he was rich, after he was paid. The nigga still came by the path. Nobody else did that. Nobody else come by the hung out the path because Yeller was doing them pornos in the studio. Easy would come by and hang the fuck out.
Speaker 2: So, so Yeller was doing the pornos over your career.
Speaker 3: He started doing this porn. He started his port career at my house in the studio.
Speaker 1: That nigga Yellow. I saw porn on that nigga had. One day he had a broad on that was about seventy years old.
Speaker 2: Damn hell hell man, that ye like seven. Oh, I'll tell you about this shit, man.
Speaker 3: So it comes to I gotta tell cats man. A lot of the cats that I worked with don't know my history. Man, They don't know how deep I go on this shit. You know, I can't get mad at dre for not knowing, for not being more appreciative of what I had to go through, because he don't fucking know. Cub talk about me more than anybody cbe. He understands I just some shit.
Speaker 2: He don't know.
Speaker 3: You got to understand. I'm sixty five. I'm twelve years older than Cube. When I opened the Eve, I'm twenty two. Cube is fucking ten twelve, he's twelve, Okay, Why would the twelve year old motherfucker be hanging out with a twenty year old motherfucker. Drake couldn't even come to the club initially till a couple of years later, and don't even when he got in then because I knew his people, see what I'm saying. So it's they weren't around in the early days of West Coast hip hop. When I'm doing these doing these gigs three four times a weekend. They didn't carry no twelve hundreds with me. They carried it eventually, they didn't have to carry it. They didn't have to worry about the ship I had to go through, you know, the crazy, the fucked up promotors and shit like that. But by the time they got to be I was specializing in school dancing for Compton Hyde Centennial verb. They and shit they were doing all that shit now with you and Easy being as tight as y'all was, because y'all was friends.
Speaker 2: It's cool.
Speaker 1: No, y'all was cool. When you saw the manner in which he died. Man, did that kind of raise some real.
Speaker 3: Flag, red flag still flagging phill blowing in the wind right to this day. Because one thing I think about man, shout out the Easy Man.
Speaker 2: You know what all him?
Speaker 1: You know, he's one of the godfathers of his gangster shit. You know what I mean, was the godfather of the gangster shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know.
Speaker 1: When you think about that man, like with the amount of kids he got, ain't nobody came up sick. I ain't seen nothing one because Easy was out there. Easy was getting that little house he had a Northwalk. I've been over there a couple of times. You know what I'm talking about, the bus up under the six o five. You like the house of remember that you have been over the house eight No, I knew about it.
Speaker 2: I never went.
Speaker 1: I went over there one time with actually just ran into one of my homies. He was signed to him because you know, a ruthless had a gang of niggas signed the roof never came out. One of my partners man, he had took me in the homie over there one day and when I tell you, it was BRA's running out that motherfucker dog. It was cracking. Nobody came up sick, my nigga, and it's just the manner and they said it, and they said the man had just got a life insurance policy like two or three months earlier. I don't think the AIDS virus operate like that, my nigga. He didn't even get the half HIV. It's just like this niggas. All of a sudden he died of AIDS.
Speaker 2: Dude.
Speaker 3: I remember the first person I ever heard die from age. It was Rock Hutson back of the day. And for that man seven eight months, we give you a blow by blow description of his condition as he died from age on the fucking news every day and this record wrestling comfort of me just beverly hilled home as he suffered from the effective.
Speaker 2: AIDS And this, I mean, I was like, when is mother gonna die? Okay?
Speaker 3: Easy and Magic had had that ship at the same time. Magic ain't never turned into age Magic had HIV now he's undetectable, right, and they both had money at the same time. Very suspicious die, very suspicious man. Who would want Easy then? Yet though, dog, oh no, dude. You know there's a lot of conspiracy theories. Some people said it was sure because she'd have made that stupid ass comment on NARTHENI or Hall show about to eat either eat thing with the jab That was kind of stupid. But then they then people looked at the timelines. He wasn't sure was not in contact with Easy. If you ask kid Froth, Easy was trying to do that acupuncture. He felt that somebody made it got to the acupuncture.
Speaker 1: You know, it was all kind of even if a motherfucker did hit him with the shit with the acupuncture, he's gonna go. He might very well still be alive.
Speaker 3: Should have been I mean, it should have had HIV first, that's.
Speaker 2: Right, you know what I'm saying. It's just just a stage. It just went too fucking dramatically quick for it. Uh, you know that's the part that always shook people up. I don't know if I tell you that, but I'm in the process of getting the street name after the Easy, right, now we've already got the paperwork done. In fact that I'm waiting on the email right now from the City Manager of Compton to find out what when I go before the city City Council, uh, to get it to proof.
Speaker 3: It's already been taken to your approved. Everybody said they gonna vote for it. I've always talked to everybody. He said, no, no problem, no problem, But we got to go before the city Council to do an actual but on the agenda, get an actual vote on it and make it happen. I gave I put a big A and little E on it.
Speaker 2: Up on the game surprise that hasn't been done, you know what.
Speaker 3: They tried it before, man and for some reason they couldn't get it passed. But I think now because with the fifty anniversary of hip hop right and uh, you know, I'm pushing for it because I'm the president of the Compton Entertainment Chamber of Commerce. I'm working on the Walker Fame, my Hall of Fame with some other things in Compton, and that's one of the first things I'm doing. I mean, that's why I again, I'm just doing what the fuck I do right now, that's on my platform to get people recognized.
Speaker 1: When it comes to rappers, dog especially out of southern California. The city of Compton has produced more MC's. You got this man right here sitting next to us, right right, You got him, You got Tiny T, you got King T from the legendary niggas.
Speaker 2: On up the new ken Kendrid.
Speaker 3: I got a question for you, who's the first Who's the first musical group out of Compton?
Speaker 2: You know, the first musical group out of Compton?
Speaker 3: Bad motherfuckers too. I couldn't tell you they're about no busters, talk about some bad motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: Most people don't know they rappers or no singers, singers they sing?
Speaker 1: I know it's a who isn't war warriors some comp out of Compton, baby warrior, some bad motherfucker motherfuckers.
Speaker 2: Did you know? Hell no, we most don't know that. Man. I play I play that ship like regularly.
Speaker 3: That's the ship.
Speaker 2: The world is a ghetto on all man, I'm on, dude.
Speaker 3: That this is ship. Don't let don't let nobody get you down. I'm doing what I'm doing now. I'm a grown ass arp carry motherfucker. I ain't did a gig and that in two years. I'm looking to do some more shit, just have some fun. But in the meantime, I'm trying to get people recognized. Man, put them up on from history.
Speaker 1: Dude. Well, you know what, though, it definitely need to be a walker fame in Compton. Where you talking about putting that right there?
Speaker 3: My walker fame, I'm looking to put that by the transit center, right behind the high center, right by the train station, first trade station. It's a big old area out there. Ain't nothing in that, motherfucker. It's a building, a brand new building. Ain't nobody in the building. I'm working with the city, uh the Metro, and.
Speaker 2: Shit, why don't you think the city has never done that for none of us artists out of this city of Compton.
Speaker 3: You know what, dude, That's why I formed the Compton Entertainment Chamber of Commerce because the City of Compton got so much ship to do, like potholes, trees, that city council got shipped to do. Where you know, if they start building walker fans and ship without without having a third party doing that ship, what about these potholes, motherfucker?
Speaker 2: Because that's just how we get.
Speaker 3: Kind of like me who've been doing shit in Compton forever. Could go to a sponsor if I can get once I get permission, hey we're gonna put We're gonna put the Walker fame right here. I can go to a sponsor and say, hey, look, Nike, whoever I need, I need the sponsor for this walker fame for these folks out of Compton do it just like they do, uh, the Staples Center or or Crypto Center. It's the Compton Walker fans sponsored by the Crypto Center or whoever. That's the that's the plan. So but it takes a lot of fucking effort. I'm organish for two years. It's taking six months to get from the first yes to where we are right now, which is easy. I'm trying to get it done by his birthday.
Speaker 2: And you would think that people who knew the history of what artists and what entertainers have done for the city, that it would be like a unanimous thing like yeah, you would think yeah, but yeah, but like you said, you know, niggas in the city would be like, niggas, shit, we need potholes fixed. This ship y'all trying to Y're trying to beautify a Walk of fame. Nigga it's fucking knee deep potholes around here. Hell yeah.
Speaker 1: But still though, you want to see some good life in the city, man, because you got all the other shit, you got just more positive ship to come out of company.
Speaker 3: The niggas they got you real right, I mean when you got some of the biggest and baddest people veat us and meaning Drake, Kendrick, bim w All these folks come out of Compton, man, War as you mentioned, George Bush used to live at one time. Kevin Constant come out of Compton. You got you got all kind of cats where war would happen.
Speaker 2: Dog.
Speaker 1: I think Long Beach was laying claimed the War for a minute, because I think I saw something about that that they was from Loan Beach or something like that.
Speaker 3: War used to be the house band at Jefty's before they became War. They would called something else. I forgot the name of him, but they were the house band. I met Howard and Lonnie at Jeoffty's before Jeffy died years ago and talked about I used to play. They used to play at Jefty's. All of them more than from Compton, but enough of them were from Compton High School to justify. Men from Compton High School came up. They asked some of me k from Long Beach. I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it makes sense to neighboring cities and laying the band together exactly everybody people coming up. Have you had members that was from Inglewood?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Mike t was from Inglewood, Ship Slip was from fucking what Harthorne GUARDENA Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: You ain't see it was from Common So yeah, but you know, they always gonna claim Compton, Compton Man in the city of Compton has global recognition.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 3: I was in a little group earlier this year for Harvard Man. Harvard University had be on this on this program, meaning people from Compton trying to figure out ways to make Compton better. And we were the only ones only all black, all not black, all minority group. Everybody else was white. Okay, we walking that motherfuck and they think we I guess it's not. We're gonna be sagging the shit. I don't know, but they were surprised that we could speak, you know, we could talk like we got some goddamn sense, and we did all their assignments and kicked ass. When all the smoke was cleared, why do.
Speaker 2: You think a section as you know, as we are as far as Compton, was able to produce so much motherfucking talent in such a small.
Speaker 3: Section Compton at first at one time, man was.
Speaker 2: Cause like you said, you know, we've had everything from fucking artists to fucking Venus and Serena to like, we've had a lot of ship come out of Compton.
Speaker 3: Compton is a I think because of such a small city, you get like anything you got, you got their pressure to succeed what I'm.
Speaker 2: Saying, because I had to get I was like, God, damn, I gotta get about this motherfucker. Man.
Speaker 1: I think everybody that comes from them in poverished areas, man, it's always motivated to get on because I know that was my main goal when I was a kid in Cleveland was to get the fuck about that motherfucker by any means necessary.
Speaker 3: Something with the first city was one of it was it was white for years, then it became black. It was like one of the first black cities with the black mayor and ship like that. So you got a lot of people that migrated to Compton, like my dad why I usually live on a woman to other kid, then we moved out just outside of Compton. But everything I did was in Compton, schools, everything.
Speaker 2: So it just it was.
Speaker 3: It was LA was so big and white for decades, then what was white for decades. Paramount was wife for decades. Marshingt didn't exist yet. Carston didn't come out to the sixties.
Speaker 2: Damn mightn't known that Christing.
Speaker 3: Ain't that old. Carston might be think they fifty fifth at first?
Speaker 2: Growing up? Yeah, growing up in Compton, you didn't venture nowhere. You know, we stayed in fucking Compton. We didn't go to LA. We didn't go to Long Beach, we didn't go to Paramount, none of that shit. We just stayed in com to go to Paramount. Hell Nah, now what everywhere?
Speaker 3: Can my daddy cut lines? He cut loud in Paramount, Downey, Long Beach, Torrents Palace, Vergis Guardiena. So I've always been exposed to different shit close to me, and it just gave me a different perspective.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I can see that man, but company definitely, even Sugar Man. Even though people focus a lot of times on the bad shit the sug did, Sugar did a monumental shit, you know, Speaking of which I know Dick Griffy helped him a lot of wish doing. Dick Griffy's relationship with y'all cool.
Speaker 3: I met Dick Griffey like everybody else did at one point in time.
Speaker 2: Different Dick.
Speaker 3: If you heard about my cola and what he was doing over there. Dick, if you're gonna play the big big homie, I could give all yall record deals. Come over here, you know, to Solar Records. I could do the same thing for you. But the Nigga contract, Nigga contract was by this time, by the time he did that ship, we knew how to read contracts. Oh I can't fuck right here. Oh hell, but he's gonna stick to his name. It's gonna be some dick up in this contract. Okay, some dick in that contract. But because Sure came in through another source. Sure came through Big West, Big West, where the body was. He made a security for Dick Griffy. Dick Griffy was a concert promoter him don cor Niggas all these casts. They would do the concerts at the Forum and Big West Man and security company called n e S National Events Security, that that they was hiring when I was a youngster. They was hiring x cons and they would crack Nigga and they head for passing out flyers back in the day. That's when they had the forum, and across the street at the racetrack they had a hotel and we leave a forum across the street go to the hotel for the after party.
Speaker 2: That was.
Speaker 3: That was Big Western Ship, Big West, Big Mike, all of them, and Sure came under Big West is his security thing for a while, and that was after the Big Company. But Dick Griffrey was always in the record business because he deried the Solar with him and Don Cornigius was tight because Don had the soul train and that's how you got Shallamar and all these other acts. The Whispers and the Lakeside and shit Lakeside used to be the house band for my boy John Carter at fucking Proud Bird. They was Ohio Lakeside expressed, fresh off the motherfucking boat.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, man. So everything is all piece of love. It's always been always. I had to come and hang out with y'all for a minute. That yeah, that's it, yeah for sure, man, Because you can have a disagreement man, without it being a whole bunch of bullsh what.
Speaker 3: It wouldn't disagreement. It's just like I'm like, damn, he couldn't use another word.
Speaker 2: Fucking yeah, I couldn't use nothing. It was just my opinion of the dance era, man, and you know, being influenced by you know, like I said, I listened to it was just our era of music. Man. You know, we had Bobby Jimmy in the critics. Yeah, talked about this ship. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Me and my boys was walking the other day and I've talked about this situation, and we talked about all the people that came up in the era, Bobby Jimmy and the critics. They was, we're there, Yankovich.
Speaker 2: What did I tell you?
Speaker 3: That much money without ink it's made. Yeah, that motherfucker got paid doing that ship parody rapo.
Speaker 2: He is from Lynwood.
Speaker 3: Now crazy understand this. Understand us man. Aside from trying to get laid and make it for we had, we we was competing with motherfucker Michael Jackson and fucking timam Marie and Rick James and Prince, all these bad motherfuckers that we all came out in the eighties. How in the fuck can I compete with Michael Jackson?
Speaker 2: Or Prince.
Speaker 3: All I'm trying to do is get give me a little, get me a motherfucker little niche, and rock that motherfucker. Okay, l A, We're gonna come over a new sound. L A electro Funk is part. We got a partnership from Soul, Sonic Force from New York. Some this ship we got from carab Work. I can't wear. I can't wear the same clothes as grand Master flashing figures five. These niggas wearing feathers and moccasins. I can't fuck with that ship. So I'm gonna do the sequence ship, all right. We some pretty motherfucker, some pretty boy motherfuckers trying to get laid. Okay. And when you play, when you when you played with Ready for the World, More Day at the time, all all that can be rocking with.
Speaker 2: I said that was the era. It was a little they had a little little lip gloss on. Okay.
Speaker 3: I washed my face though, I'm dumb with that. Okay. I had a Jerry Curl ain't got no hair no more, but we all did.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jerry Curl took everybody's motherfucking hair. Though you know what of all this ship, I've ever done. I get asked about the Jerry curroll morning, any damn thing. And if anybody know about a Jerry curl, not only whether the fashion statement, but if you got into a fight and get got that ship into the nigga's eyes, you can whip his mother. Yes, you finna win that fight. You get the Jerry coroll with the nigga's eyes, he's blind as fuck.
Speaker 2: It was definitely a fashion statement.
Speaker 3: Every day. You know they had a Jerry curl, you had your curl.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: My curl would only grow for so it was crazy. The front of my hair grew more than my motherfucking here. So I had this ship to the side like this.
Speaker 2: This nigger said he had the flock. I see ship, my ship. I big at the flock of seagulls. With the ship.
Speaker 3: My ship would grow real good up till about rid of my neck. But I always went to long Jerry curle. I wanted a long one too, but you know it would trip me out though.
Speaker 1: Man. I remember my mama first bought that kitchen curl shit on and they tore my ass up in school the next day because you know them kitchen curls.
Speaker 2: It would only be a part of part of the hair be like an afro part, be like curly. Was you had that dry side. I'll tell you what, Yeah, it's worse than that nigga.
Speaker 3: When I went to school, when I was centennial, I'm sixteen years old, I used to have a big ass natural for real, Okay, but I saw the Superfly album cover. But the nigga had the purn. I wouldn't get my ship pressed in curl for right doing the Eastern vacation. I went back to school. My ship was luxurious and manlious, curious, and the niggas talked me out of my hairstyle. Man took at this nigga, it look like a bitchoo. I got caught all kind of nagors. So most of the time that'd be niggas. Heye, niggas be sickly a minor. But I ain't that you.
Speaker 2: I ain't do yet.
Speaker 3: But gangster niggas with same mother's hair out the same motherfuckers that talked ship about my hair. Niggas still had their ship purse pressed and curl after reunion twenty five years later, Now the nigga got George Jefferson in the middle. But all this ship right here. That guy Ben Franklin, no budship, same motherfuckers that was talking to ship the tenth grade which had this.
Speaker 2: I've seen a gang and I've seen a gang of hood niggas. I seen a gang of niggas in the hood with with rollers in the pressing that nigga that was the thing.
Speaker 1: In the brother at the show Saturday night, it was a nigga walking around backstage. Man. That nigga was kind of swollen. He looked like he just came up off the yard. This nigga had his rollers up in that motherfucker he was on swollen and he had rollers in his ship.
Speaker 2: Still, Oh yeah, that's old school niggas, that's all. I just know the homies used to get their.
Speaker 3: Ships the blue rollers.
Speaker 2: It wasn't fucking green. I think he can't. It wasn't. Oh yeah, I probably came with Mitch he then he came.
Speaker 3: He had some green bros in his there. He was kind of small. He was just staying there.
Speaker 2: That's they neighborhood colors green.
Speaker 3: See.
Speaker 2: But yeah, man, it was a different time, man, So when I definitely was a different time.
Speaker 3: I tell niggas, I tell people all the time, man, when I was so influenced my I'm personally. I know music has a super super powerful influence on people because when I was a youngster, I was a big Curtis Mayfield flying. Curtis Mayfield did all that black revolutionary music, Okay, but when he did Superfly, that shit changed my life forever. I wanted to be a junior pimp. Baby, I wanted. I wanted to join the Junior Pimp Academy because I wouldn't got my ship. I got my ship pressed in curl. I got me a Maxi coat. I was even got my even Nigga, I even had some bacon soda. Fut sniffing that ship in front of my cousin. My cousin kicked my ass behind that ship. Nigga, what the fuck is you doing? Got pick trying to be cool and shit? Nigga, Im sipping bacon soda. Niggas was on that powder back in the day. Yeah, holder was like some baller shit, nigga. I ain't gonna tell him myself, but yeah, you have some powder. Back then, you was a baller. Yeah, trust me.
Speaker 2: I was a baller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, trust me, iut.
Speaker 2: Was a ball I just said I'll tell you today, nigga, back in the day, niggas who had that pure powdered nigga did ballers check this out? Though?
Speaker 3: Man, I remember well the reason why I even wanted to try this ship because they was pumping it on the news like it was like it was a brand new ship, man, because it would tell you all the new party drug up the eighties, cocaine. It's all over clubs in New York and in Chicago, and you know, motherfucker, get the party and that ship hit l A. I'm like, give me them that ship, give me some of that chip twice. How power make a nigga feel like you can kick everybody's ass? Yeah, like you can fuck a motherfucker up. Like I was always scared of that coke. But you gotta be scared, man, and watch that ship.
Speaker 1: I was scared of that cocaine. You ain't never, you ain't able took your bump still. Hell yeah, all right, I'm gonna tell y'all why I said a nigga coming up in the crack era. Yes, in the crack era, I saw what that ship. That ship destroyed my neighborhood.
Speaker 5: Dog.
Speaker 1: I'm talking about niggas. You know how you look up to certain niggas, Niggas that had to fly do some quarters and all that ship they had to fly rise. I saw niggas go from having them fly rides and the pretty girl's dog to where they was walking. It was like a process. Now they walking, they're still clean a little bit right, They're still going to work. But then they just hobos, my nigga, they just walking down the street looking like bums.
Speaker 2: I was scared of that ship, having having the experience of either having friends or family members going through that ship. That ship, it terrified me, uh to where I didn't want to do nothing. I used to think like nigga, I didn't even want to smoke weed for a long time. And and but you know that didn't last for too long.
Speaker 3: Cocaine with intd to the hood. First see cocaine. You gotta understand cocaine, real cocaine was a gentleman's drug. It wasn't something that you saw youngster fucking with man before crack came out a quilo or cocaine with thirty grand man. It was if the cast is soul, cocaine would not be that kid. Nowhere in the nowhere in the room with that ship. Damn man, that was a whole different thing.
Speaker 2: Back then.
Speaker 3: It was like the old dudes did that ship after after after hour to stay up to fuck with the young girls. If you had some of that ship, you would consider the motherfucking bought us, like nigga having having Christal back in the eighties and Cristal nigga, he was a baller. You got you can give a nigga a bump.
Speaker 2: Nigga ship this nigga, you know you what.
Speaker 3: It just was a status simber man. Only problem on the was you couldn't put that shit in your socket. That shitn't melt like water. Oh no, that ship, man. I was always scared of that ship.
Speaker 1: Then when I saw the one dude leeing byas died the basketball player died the way he did, I was like, man, what the fuck?
Speaker 3: I wasn't fucking with that ship. But that's what made a lot of niggas include me, stop fucking with that shit.
Speaker 1: But I tell you one time, and that's when I stopped smoking at the niggas because I didn't start smoking weed like I always tell you, really smoking smoking until I was like in my late forties, my nigga, and that was only because of my joint problems and shit, right, you know got them football knees and shit like that. Dog, I'm gonna tell you, dog, I got a cousin back at the crib that nigga do every motherfucking thing. And he's one of them functional niggas to do anything, and he might go up off of it for a year, right this nigga. Man, One time, tell you, nigga hit the joint and I hit the joint.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: I was on my way home.
Speaker 1: I just took one little puff. I didn't even know how to smoke weed back then. Right, I was on the way home. My face just froze up, froze up, and I was up still the goddamn all motherfucking night.
Speaker 2: I was just I was riding home. My face just got numb. I didn't get high. I didn't face like this. Man.
Speaker 1: I said, well, it's this deck. She just feel number the motherfucker. But I ain't never took no bumping those ship, my nigga. I was always scared of that shit. I'm scared of cocaine. I'm scared of heroin. I don't know these niggas that's on them peels. Now, my niggas, they gotta be fearing for their life. My nigga, they putting fitting on her. They putting fitting on the weed. Now, I wouldn't touch that. I wouldn't touch that ship.
Speaker 2: So, Lonzo, coming from where you came from and seeing what you're seeing, what's your what's your take on on music today? You know what, man?
Speaker 3: It's uh. I think in some cases people don't appreciate the art because it's so easy to do now. Mm the bar is dropped on the ground.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I come from some of that time of you know, studio and two track tape and all. Yeah, yeah, they'll buy some tape and ship. It's it's so simple to go in your kitchen right now and and and put in a program.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's like it's like giving somebody some money.
Speaker 2: Too too young.
Speaker 3: They don't they don't appreciate the fucking money. You think it's gonna last forever. You know, when I got my first my first, big ass fact but big ass bag, I thought I was gonna be rich forever.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: And music makes you think the same thing you got you got, celebrity. You on the internet, you all over. You're blowing up in your hood blah blah blah. And you think, and you're young, you think this is easy. But at some point to make shit gonna flip. And what you doing today a gonna be shit tomorrow.
Speaker 2: That's some real shit, man, And a lot of artists don't take heed to that. Today you see a lot of the flossiness and like you said, the money, and you know, niggas is you know, even in our time, we did what a lot of niggas is doing right now. We traveled equal on planes and trains, automobiles, the expensive of this and homes and parties and women and all that shit. And like you said, eventually, you're gonna wake up up one day and you're gonna be fifty plus. You get me, And nigga's not gonna want to listen to your music no more. And you know you're gonna have to find other ways of income and to stay relevant or just to pay a motherfucking bill, you know what I'm saying. So it's crazy our artists today think of like this shit is gonna last forever.
Speaker 3: Oh dude, this shit at some point time and line like gonna go up, Come come.
Speaker 2: Up, your ass.
Speaker 1: Believe me, you better be thinking of a plan now while you got it. That's one thing I learned about just being in the business, man, is that don't nothing last.
Speaker 2: Whatever.
Speaker 1: You gotta tell it while you got it, while it's cracking, and kind of start pivoting towards.
Speaker 2: Some mother shit. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: You know what I think of all the shit? I think what would take people take for granted more than anything they motherfucking health.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, definitely all the shit.
Speaker 3: That all that money don't mean a motherfucking thing. Nigga. I ain't got no details on Jimmy take me fucked, but whatever it is, he can't by his way out of it. Disrespected the brother at all. No disrespect by no, by no means. So all the money or whatever you got when you lose your motherfucking health, nigga, it's it's a whole nother world. Like I had prostate cancer. Okay, I'm a prostate cancer survivor. Man, So God, all my youngsters, all my home young homies coming up behind me, nigga, go get that go get that check man. And and here's the cold barty about it is, don't let nobody clown you. It ain't. It ain't about these fingers no more.
Speaker 2: They can take you. I've been there. They can take your.
Speaker 3: Prostate, but just the blood tests. Okay, But don't be afraid to go get your prostate check here because when you get symptoms. By the time you get symptoms, nigga's too late. Nigga, stop making amazements. Its talking about a quiet killer. It's a quiet killer. That high blood, that that high bloo dog. I'm gonna tell you them little pills, dog that make your head and hurt. Take the motherfuckers. I got a whole bunch of homies that don't take their medicine. I take mu shit every day.
Speaker 2: I take mine every day.
Speaker 3: Every day, I take one day.
Speaker 2: But like you said, motherfuckers don't value that shit. You can't. You take a motherfucking twenty five thirty right now, drinking every day, partying, eating whatever they eat. You know a lot of niggas thought I would be surprised if you asks a lot of motherfuckers if they even have any kind of health care. You know what I'm saying. Any kind of health insurance, you get me. Nigga, you got a three hundred thousand dollars car nigga, what kind of health insurance you got If you're paying, you're paying for some Blue Cross or some shit. I bet you you not, but that shit. Ain't never heard that shit. No lyrics, man, No niggas ain't paying forig nigga. Go buy one hundred thousand dollars CUBID right there, and I bet you get asking for nigga. How much you're paying every month on your health insurance. Nigga be like, huh, like nigga was smart. Get my girl with a job who got healthishurance? Yeah, exactly. I'm gonna tell you what most of these niggas need to do. Dog, I'm gonna tell you. I heard the little nigga from Mob Deep products because you know he had the what's the one disease he had? Yeah, I heard he had that written his recording contract that they will pay health insurance for him. No, ship, that would be smart for any major artists. You get me who has ties to one of the big labels, motherfucker, you feel to put me on your health plan?
Speaker 3: Tell you them people list in that office that work there, they got health insurance.
Speaker 2: You could you technically on the I mean yeah, if you're a regular employee.
Speaker 3: Here's something they were working on right now, should be Curtis blow myself karas One were trying to get rappers accepted into the union. Man, they should, they should, they should have been done it because I'm I'm I'm in the I'm in.
Speaker 1: The sag right after, you know, because I don't done a few movies and commercials. Niggas you big time what you're saying, problems? You get insurance to that right when you work so many hours, and a lot of these people have more than work enough hours. Dog the work they can get it. It at the very least will make your health insurance a lot cheap. Yes, Fortunately, man, mar had a wife that's an education dogs on mine. Insurance is bomb the mother for so I never have to worry about that, right And I remember my wife told me that when I first started making money. The first thing you want to do when you start making money, like, I don't need you going to work. You want to go teach the kindergarteners. And you know you ain't got to do that no more. Well, how go take care of your insurance? Yeah, got the good benefits this, you got asthma, you got high blood first you got all this, we need that. I said, you know what, You're right, you're gonna stay at that motherfucker.
Speaker 3: You know what I meant at a buddy mind he kept a part time job at FedEx just for the health insurance. Yeah, I mean smart fed Ex will paid still pay you your health insurance.
Speaker 2: The part time motherfucker give you a quarter million dollar contract, but they don't want to give you that health insurance. You know what I'm saying. Let your motherfucking ass die off. So we got your motherfucking residuals in your in your music and all that. For decades.
Speaker 3: As a grown ass man and the OG in this game, that's my responsibility to tell people to put and put them, put them up on the game about the real ship Fu Boo ship.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the real shit man. All you niggas out there right now, even you females too, y'all making all this money, you know, get you some good health insurance, man, get you.
Speaker 3: Some life insurance. Can you check out? Yeah, I ain't gotta do a car wash right there are your ass.
Speaker 1: That's the biggest thing I know. We was talking about that earlier, and I Aint gonna getting these brother's business. But the brother Gunplay, I guess, had to go fund me up for his daughter that was in the situation, and the fans was mad because he saw gonna get Rick Ross a chain. And that's the thing fans don't know the entertainment business. Gunplay probably got that chain. It was probably a deal. Somebody gave them some stuff. Hey, if you get Ross to go on Instagram with this motherfucker say my name, I'll let you have a chain.
Speaker 2: He probably didn't have to pay for that chain.
Speaker 1: But we see situations to where brothers gotta do gofundmes when they die and stuff that to your family. Right, life insurance one hundred thousand dollars life insurance policy would cost you maybe ten fifteen dollars a month if that go get your life insurance. Definitely, life insurance. If you smoke cigarettes, put them cigarettes down now while you're young, you.
Speaker 2: On that lean, you sip in, you just live in life there because right now, man, being in this rap game is just dangerous period period. You feel me, So get you some life insurance. Man. You never know you put out a record today and be shocked tomorrow. You get me that. That's just how it worked today. Something.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say this, drop some shit on y'all. Man, that's gonna be fucked up and people people gonna hate me for this ship, but I'm gonna say it anyway. Do you know one of the biggest byproducts of this gangster rap shit the organ harvest You know what the organ harvesting is. Yeah, I'm familiar with organ harvesting. When your ass die, they start taking your body parts, yeah, for sure, breaking your ass down like a fifty seven shivy pick apart. You start selling your heart, your clean and your eyeballs and all kinds of shit.
Speaker 6: Man.
Speaker 3: So when you when you when you have this, when you got young healthy people dying at an early age age, their body parts become valuable to some other people. Oh yeah, they could kidney all that ship, all that shit, man, all that ship gets recycled. Man, you'll ask to get broke down.
Speaker 1: And the secary part about that, your family members don't got to know because once they once they get a hold of your ass after the funeral and ship, they could take your body's been going before the hit your funeral and break your ship down the casket. Your family don't know if you'll kids and they don't know, and they could put some plastic guards in your head.
Speaker 2: All your eyes are closed.
Speaker 3: So all I'm saying is as brothers out of these streets doing making it just the civil war we got going on. Think about man, this just think about that ship. That's all dude, My my, my, My nonprofit is called hood Piece.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to put some peace and Compton.
Speaker 2: Dot Yeah we needed man, We've been trying for years. Man. It's just, you know, it's just it's just unfortunate.
Speaker 3: Do you realize how many people, i mean, youngsters grew up ain't never seen peace in the hood. I've seen peace of the hood before.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: I'm on enough to be able to walk. Remember, I could walk through Compton and not get Jack Man. Walk from Saint Alberts. The Captain of the Park used to be a dairy right there in the corner. Go to Captain of the park, hang the fuck out for a minute, and walk my ass down Chilly Buck left on a D thirty fifth, take my ass, hop the fist of badguard and go home.
Speaker 2: I could probably do that up until I was probably about nine years old in Compton. After that, you ten, eleven, twelve, you started getting sweated at the bus stops going to school. You know, niggas started jacking you for your starter jackets and all that type of shit. So, I mean, there was a time when I grew up as a kid in Compton to where it probably was gangs like a motherfucker. But I didn't notice. You know, I rode my bike up and down the street, or play with my cousins on the weekend, or you know, I didn't notice. I never noticed, like damn they gang banging over here. Nigga's over here wearing blue, and then nigga's over there waring. I didn't notice that until I got probably about ten and eleven twelve and going to school one day and niggas pulled up on us at the bus stop and like, Nigga, where y'all from? And I'm looking like, what the fuck? What do you mean? Where we from? And nigga, you know where you at? And while you got that blue jacket on, and won't you walk? And I'm like, oh, okay, And that's when I first noticed these niggas gang banging out here. Huh. But check this out there.
Speaker 3: I fuck with Compton College a lot, right if cats, if somebody wants to get get the shit together and get educated. Compton College got so many goddamn programs, free books, free food, free transportation, all kind of shit. They do everything but wake your ass up and rush your motherfucking teeth.
Speaker 1: Okay, thing, man, there's a lot of ways out here, man for brothers to better They circles exactly.
Speaker 3: But but here here's the problem. So many cats either if they ain't got no car, fraid to get on the bus stop? Can they gotta go through any hood to be different hoods? Your education is being stifled by us not being able to get a loan on each other. One of the nigga give a nigga pass to go to school.
Speaker 2: The least man. Yeah, it's gotta be a truly motherfucker who's really about being educated, Because shit, niggas look down. Niggas looked down at you for getting on the fucking bus. Get me, nigga, you're on the bus, or you broke ass. Motherfucker you riding the bus, motherfucker, you get me. Niggas look down on you for trying to create that effort. You get me, like you should be proud of a nigger. Nigga I'm getting on the bus every day trying to go to school, lit better myself. You got nigg as, soon as you get off the bus, you broke ass. Nigga, you ride the bus. Motherfucker. We was looking. We like I used to tell niggas here you go to New York, you getting the cab. That's the thing to do here. You're broke, casting a cab. You riding cabs around, nigga, All y'all, broke is a motherfucker. Nigga felt like some common you ain't broke all it the calve and ship cab.
Speaker 3: You gotta have the money these days.
Speaker 2: I mean back of the day, my mom called us a cab. You needs to be like calling us a cab for like, that's a symbol of being broke, like a motherfucker.
Speaker 3: No niggas is hopping in ubers and shito.
Speaker 2: Yeah the uber Hey, what.
Speaker 3: Can I tell you, man, I'm just had to drop that on some folks man.
Speaker 2: Just on the Strip's the it's the environment and like the people you around, and it's just what people expecting, what people think of a motherfucker. Instead of trying to congratulate a nigga for putting in that effort to change itself. You know, we come from an era where niggas look down on you for being a hood nigga for wanting the better itself. You feel me? Yeah, yeah, we we all come from that era.
Speaker 3: Like, as a OG the Triple OG, I would like to see motherfuckers be more proud of having more cash walking the stage than walking the yard.
Speaker 2: Definitely.
Speaker 3: You know, that's just a dream of mine as a Triple OG nine affiliated motherfucker, to have more niggas walking walking across the stage a Compton High Domingus College, or whatever the case may be, than walking walking the yards of a penitentiary.
Speaker 1: Lins as a cat that come from out of town, Man, they kind of hitting California at this peak of gang banging. I ain't gonna say, at this peak, I came out to California eighty eight, where you from the Cleveland, Okay, Cleveland, Ohio. I came out here in nineteen eighty eight, had plenty of invitations, man, the joint gangs. Man, my homeboy Find was trying to jump me in every other day, you know. But the one thing I noticed, man, I said, Man, that shit seemed like a no win situation, I'm not fucking with that because I would notice when I would be wanting to go certain places, like, hey, man, let's go this mall.
Speaker 3: I heard, it's a mall. You know, I'm from out of town. I want to go there, or we can't go there?
Speaker 1: I said, damn, so y'all segregate y'allselfight, that said, I don't want to be involved. And plus I started meeting different cats from different neighborhoods and realized, what, man, if I fuck with them, I might not be able to fuck with the homie like I used to while I can't go over there. It was just seemed like it limited your opportunity too much.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Absolutely correct, Doc, it does limit your opportunities.
Speaker 1: And the one thing I couldn't understand is, like I said, Man, okay, y'all supposed to be from the same place, but it seemed like this nigga more scannless. The nigga that is from your neighborhood is more scanless than the nigga this just enemies, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So it was just a no wining situation. Yeah, well, we didn't see it like that doog, which was unfortunate. We thought it was everything well, our gang banging and dope slaling and claiming the hood was got the sack that shit. I couldn't even tell you, man, I couldn't even tell you.
Speaker 3: I got a question for you, who you think makes made the most money in the dope era?
Speaker 6: Shoot, according to all of the federal government, not the Nigga, not usos. Yeah, Koreans came into our community doing the dope aron and took over everything black. You can't buy a pair of tennis shoes, a bottle of Hennessy, a piece of chicken when I give them to somebody.
Speaker 1: Don't you know what I'm gonna tell you this though. I used to talk to the old, old black dude that owned the liquor store, Jay's Liquor O from Western Okay. He did, now, I believe, but he told me, he said, Man, at one time, all these liquors.
Speaker 2: Stores all up black on all of them.
Speaker 3: After the after the sixty five riots, all the Jewish community moved out of the hood. Black folks bought all the businesses, and when the crack came in, everybody ran out of here, and then the careers took over. I ain't mad at him, but I'm just faed. That's how that's how the economics change in the hood and uh, the swap meets came in the eighties. Also, you ain't see you ain't seen the brother of the swap me doing nothing but baby helping somebody. From time to time. You had one brother in the bottom of the swap meat to the bottom of the long beast, and the comps to swap meet at the bottom doing T shirts and.
Speaker 2: Uh and air brushing, air brushing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, everybody else was black, and brothers would would sell dope, run from the police and kill each other all night and all day to go to the saft and spot beat to buy them jeans, some tennis shoes them, speakers and amps, whatever the case may be.
Speaker 5: And then links. Then as Cubans with the Turkish you had Turkeys had get you a fake Gucci.
Speaker 2: Nigga with the hood or the belt buckle nigger I put I put my hood on there with the little belt buckles with the letters nigga, and and with the Turkish ear ring nigga, with the rope nigga and the bracelet with the fake Gucci wallet Niggas. They're looking hard like a motherfuck looking hard like a mother and my motherfucking gap cord with my corduroyds Nigga, my T shirt with my fake ass Gucci belt af nigga looking hard nigga. Man, that's all I wanted. Man with some niggas was as crazy as a motherfucking link. Like you said, nigga gonna sell it dope all night, getting blasted on, running from five all and then goes like he said me to take his money right up to the swat and wagon. Give me some money.
Speaker 3: Nobody they had. They give me some not your dirty money. Just got cleaning things to them. But you can't benefit from it. You ain't mad at them. I'm just saying, they like give it here, nigg observation. Baby, that's all you.
Speaker 2: After you got about five hundred dollars worth of crack money right there, they like give it right here. They could take these take these goods. Speaking of the crack, did you watch did you with Snowfall in every episode? How accurate was that to you? Nah?
Speaker 3: You know it had his point, they had his times, but it was accurate. Like Homegirl being being turned out and cleaning up. I've seen that happened many a time she was out there blowing knocking off everything. Sad she get cleaned up. I remember a lot of the cats from the neighborhood would blow up and they started testing smoking their own ship and fall right the back down. I remember the fucking that that ship was based on Nickoson gardens and that always been on fire. Okay, that always been on fire one or two Rick Ross, I mean an actual Freeway Rick character. I know Freeway, and he was the most laid back guy, like Franklin to a certain degree. I didn't know him at that time when he was the balling out of control. I heard his name, but I think a few things they left out, like when he reason why they called him Freeway was because he had a big as apartment by the Freeway and right by the fucking one ten. He turned the whole apartment building into his goddamn spot. And he was a tennis player. He wasn't even a even even in his documentary, the fans say they saw the guy almost every day walking, asked with tennis rackets, didn't pay him no attention. He didn't look like a dope. Okay, the uh, the fans being involved in that ship, that ship is documented. The guy who told on the FEDS how he died shot himself committed suicide by shooting himself in the head two times. Documented.
Speaker 1: Okay the news reporter. Yeah, they said this motherfucker committed suicide and shot himself on the head twice.
Speaker 3: Twice. You shoot yourself on the head.
Speaker 2: That nigga did. What it is I missed did the work.
Speaker 1: Isn't Even if you happen to survive that first shot, you're gonna be in such motherfucking this hong, You're gonna be up in that motherfucker like this.
Speaker 2: Big saying that nigga woke up. It was like, oh it did.
Speaker 3: Do it again. So I mean some ships, you know, when you when you know the real story, you remember living that ship the first time, you can see some of the similarities. But of course, in any any movie project, like just like Straight out of Competent, they always in they have they called it embellishment or they called it creative license. Right long as they don't long they don't change the story too much. If they I can, straight out of Competent, they made me gay or something like that. That wasn't gonna fly, But they can make me out to be an asshole because I can't be aphole.
Speaker 1: You would have made some money for sures. You could have sued the ship up there, because see one thing that people don't know about that that's why I tell people what these podcasts. Y'all would be careful if you can sue the ship out of the motherfucker. If a motherfucker going there?
Speaker 2: Line about you? Dog?
Speaker 1: Is this a couple of niggas montorny, don't hit me like, man, you want to go out? I'm like, I ain't tripping like that, but let's get it. I'm shit, I need some money. Yeah, money, let's get it. Ho many these motherfuckers ain't worth soon because you ain't gonna get.
Speaker 3: You gonna They're gonna get an exercise for your journey and put a lean.
Speaker 2: On the ship.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: It's just too much man, You know lones and we don't been up here for a minute. Man, where can the people go?
Speaker 3: They can find me tonight in a few minutes, probably if we don't get back in time on n W with Lonzo. Now, I got a new thing I'm doing now. If you want to be on my personal contact list, text me at four two four three six, three eight one four one in the message put Lonzo and you got me locked in? You're on that you're on that new text one text Lonzo and you got me locked in? Baby? That's cracking, Yes, sir, my website Lonzo William dot com. Ship my man, Dusty over the corner with me rolling with me right now. That's the Dusty Vision heal YouTube too, dust Division.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And also my other podcast, My Boy Doctor Dre from your on TV raps. That's Dairy Connects every Friday.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's cracked. You know what I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't that's pretty dope. I don't saw that ship before. That's cracking.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We got the East Coast connection, East coast, West coast, Old school connection. So we talk about all kind of shit from different perspectives based on today and also the West coast, East coast perspective, and we both got different ways of looking at ship. You know, when you're looking at were looking at in February sunshine and ship that nigga he in six for you to snow. So all right, ship he see. Well we say it's two different worlds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for real, for real, man. Well, we appreciate you coming on the show. Definitely, definitely definitely go ahead, you back again.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: That got to be able to come out and hang out with y'all for today, man, Yeah, for sure, man, And thanks y'all the fans for tuning in. Man to another episode against the Chronicles podcast.
Speaker 2: Man. Make sure y'all leave a comment.
Speaker 1: Man. You know, if you're on an Apple podcast, man, leave a comment and raping man going and hit us up with that five stars man or whatever you want to three stars, two stars, whatever.
Speaker 2: On your mind. I can give us one star ship. That's what you choose. Just do it and we're gone. Peace.
Speaker 7: Yeer my notes, bro, like Pinokyo, we gonna tell you the choose and nothing but taxed a chronic
Speaker 3: Pay of this is not your every children,