Speaker 1: All right, it is Oscar Sunday Award Show. Just I don't know when you're listening to this, but it's coming up and you still haven't seen Train Dreams. Yes, it's number nine. As we're making through all ten Best Picture nominees giving you the cliff notes, but up next, number nine. Now, Train Dreams the shortest of them all.
Speaker 2: We should mention the shortest, but it actually felt like the longest.
Speaker 1: We'll explain it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well one of the longest. It's funny.
Speaker 2: I was surprised when I saw how short it actually was because it did feel like.
Speaker 3: This very long journey.
Speaker 2: So this movie got four nominations, and this was the only other Best Picture nominee that didn't have any Best Acting nods, which is pretty fascinating given that you've got Joel Edgerton and Felicity Jones in this, like two incredible award winning actors, that neither one of them got a nomination for.
Speaker 1: This and Joel Edgerton, what was the other one? F one? Those are the only two, right, correct? F one? These are the only two, And I guess that's kind of I don't know. I guess somebody had to get left out with so many movies.
Speaker 2: But what's interesting to me, though, is this movie in particular. By the way, so it got Best Picture, Best Cinematography, Best Original Song, and Best Adapted Screenplay.
Speaker 3: Now best cinematography, totally get it.
Speaker 2: It is a sweeping, beautiful it's gorgeous to look at. It kind of reminds me of even watching like a NAT Geo special. You're just kind of swept away in this gorgeous landscape in the Pacific Northwest. But really what drives this movie is the acting and so the storytelling. So it's interesting to me that it didn't get an acting.
Speaker 1: Not wait a second, I just messed up the narrator Will Patten. Will Patten adds a lot to this movie.
Speaker 3: So that has been written about it. Oh my god, the reviews people.
Speaker 2: Talk about you know how I said it reminded me of an at Geo where you've got, you know, the voice of God speaking over the storytelling of whatever you're looking at. That's what Will Patten gives to this movie. Just this, you know, the voice. You actually see his face when you hear his voice.
Speaker 1: You probably can't come up with his name. He's one of those actors who've just been around being don't so many things. He's usually the right hand of whoever. The man is kind of a guy, but robes. As soon as we heard his voice, we said, know that guy. We started listing movies even that he was in, and we couldn't come up with his name. But he drives.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: He is dramatic and intoxicating in his storytelling as he goes along. I love you know what. That was the best part of this movie for me.
Speaker 2: You said that multiple times, and you actually even remembered. You said, remember remember in Halloween and Halloween Killed. Oh, yeah, that's the officer and you were right. I was like, oh my god, you're right. I can see his face. That is the voice to.
Speaker 3: Go from Halloween to Train Dreams.
Speaker 2: Okay, a little bit of a departure, but he literally has the perfect story book like voice to narrate this epic, epic journey. And so if you want to know what it is, here is the official synopsis. Based on Dennis Johnson's beloved novella. Train Dreams is the moving portrait of Robert Greinier, a logger and railroad worker who leads a life of unexpected depth and beauty in the rapidly changing America of the early twentieth century. What they leave out is there is this beautiful love story I think, between man and planet Earth and what it provides, and also between a man and a woman, this simple man who just wanted the simple things in life, and there is a tragic turn and twist in the story that is fairly devastating.
Speaker 1: What would you say, just based on reading that, is that a movie that catches your attention just on the snopsis?
Speaker 3: Okay, I think we need to tell the story.
Speaker 2: So when we were going over the different movies in what order we wanted to watch them part of we started watching these movies actually a couple weeks ago when Sabrine. Sabine was on her not spring break but her winter break, and so she started kind of looking them up for us and asking us.
Speaker 3: So we said, what's the shortest one.
Speaker 2: We wanted to get the shortest one over first, and she said trained dreams were like train dreams.
Speaker 3: What's that about? She read this synopsis.
Speaker 2: You and I looked at each other and started laughing and said, no, nah, we were like a lagger talking about his life of unexpected depth in the rapidly change twentieth century. Really that sounds like a social studies movie. I had to watch in class in lieu of, you know, my substitute teachers there, So that was like compulsory movie watching. As short as it was when we heard that we I would never have watched this movie had it not been nominated and had we not decided to do this.
Speaker 1: That that is true. There was nothing necessarily even about it after it was nominated that I was like, oh, I'm curious, sir, let me put that on the list. It just was not as much as I love Joel Edgerton, Yeah, we love having Felicity Jonesah well, oh my goodness. And I didn't even know about Homeboy doing the narration, So it just wasn't and didn't. Sabine tell us as well that it was already out there. That had to do with the loss of a child. It had to do with death again of a child.
Speaker 2: So many of these movies in Best Picture have had the death of a child.
Speaker 3: The loss of a child that is just a gutting, gutting.
Speaker 2: Theme, and it's hard to kind of rev yourself up to say, hey.
Speaker 3: Let's watch this.
Speaker 2: This is about the death of a wife and his daughter, and it is I mean again, I cried, crying, feeling moved, and look, I do think I looked at you and said a couple of times.
Speaker 3: You know, we we just we.
Speaker 2: Are so obsessed and love horrors and horror comedies, and we'll watch comedy movies too.
Speaker 3: This is this is kind of cool.
Speaker 4: This assignment because we I was able to watch different types of movies that we don't seek out normally, and we got to watch the best of the best.
Speaker 1: You are absolutely right, and we are This should be a lesson to us down the road. When movies come out, we should give them a chance, go to the theater, check things out, because there is plenty to enjoy in these movies. It's just not usually what we what we go for and ies. We like horror and we like comedy. We have now, as crazy as we are, we have now almost gotten to a point where we're almost exclusive horror comedy. Right now, we need a complete departure from the life that we are covering.
Speaker 2: So it needs to be satirical, It needs to be outrageous, it needs to be thrilling offensive. Even sometimes that's fine exactly or yes, or the fear of the supernatural, just something such a departure from reality.
Speaker 3: But in the Train Dreams.
Speaker 2: Look, it never actually was released to the box office, right, This never was in theater's Train Dreams.
Speaker 1: No where did it go? I should know this? No, it did not get a theatrical release. Where did it end up online? Where did we watch it?
Speaker 3: This was one of the ones.
Speaker 2: I believe that we were able to stream for free because that was part of our schedule of what we could watch because we were trying to wait for all of them to stream free.
Speaker 3: But this was on Netflix, so this might have just been a.
Speaker 2: Netflix to Netflix movie because it was never theatrically released, so there was no actual box office, no way to determine how popular this was in terms of how many people actually saw this movie.
Speaker 1: Where did we put this on our list? In what order? Did we actually watch this one?
Speaker 2: This was one of the last ones because I think just because of the synopsis. When we read the synopsis, it just seemed like the last thing we wanted to watch, and then add death to it and it just was like, Wow, I don't know if I'm up for this. But the truth is we actually enjoyed it. I actually thought it was so beautiful to watch. It was heartrending. Yes, but it was also so beautiful, and the critics and the audience agreed. Rotten Tomatoes ninety four percent for the critics, ninety percent for the audience.
Speaker 1: Our forty two long movie that helped it is PG. Thirteen, What Robes. This movie felt incredibly long to me. Now, let me start with we didn't know what to expect. The synopsis that we don't know if it's gonna be a great movie. We love, but Robes. When we the first shot, the first image you see when this movie starts, you think, wow, that's beautiful. Yep, it is breathtaking from the jump, and you do feel like you're on one of these what were those big what was it? The planet Earth? The document?
Speaker 2: I think, yes, David what the voice of God? I'll never come up with this name, but my girls love those movies.
Speaker 3: That's what I felt like I.
Speaker 2: Was watching when this movie started, and I got sucked into it.
Speaker 1: You do get sucked in. It's only an hour and forty two minutes. Did we do it in one sitting? We did?
Speaker 2: We did it in one sitting than the next movie we did in two days.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well Trained Dreams was one for me at least this is the one. You said, it felt like it kept getting longer and longer and longer. To me for some reason, this isn't the one I did that.
Speaker 2: No, which was the next one? Which was that the next one sentimental value?
Speaker 1: No, it was this one, you remember. It was the shortest one, but it took us so long to get through it, you said, because I complained that I felt that there was just the one.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, I'm getting confused, because all of the last ones we saw you did not like it at all, because they were very emotional and they did drag on.
Speaker 1: No, that's okay, that's to put it that way. I didn't say I didn't like them because they were emotional. They were a different type of experiences. I've been trying to explain. There's a difference appreciating this art versus saying that's not a good movie or I don't like that movie.
Speaker 2: True, okay, true, true, true, Yes, I do remember though there were several times when you just you kept looking at your phone and pausing and looking at the end of the movie and wondering when it was going to be over.
Speaker 1: But again you're saying, there was this one or the next one.
Speaker 3: I think you kind of did it on both.
Speaker 1: See this thing.
Speaker 2: I'm telling you there you have I can we I know when things start getting uncomfortable, like really uncomfortable and dark, that is when you tend.
Speaker 3: To check out.
Speaker 1: But I don't sit up and want to dive in to whatever that is right. I don't want to get sucked into misery. I don't want to get sucked into heartache. I don't want to get sucked into pain and to loss and to death. I don't. And these movies are so good. They're so well written, they're so well shot, they're so well directed, they're so well acted that you can't help to get sucked in and I want to go away. They're just not I don't. Maybe I feel too much, Maybe I can't take them just for what they are and not get but robes. They are heavy movies, and this one had beauty start to finish, and some of that beauty had a lot to do with pain.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: And the outdoors, which is what I really loved about this movie, the connection to nature as a logger, just one with the trees and just it was gorgeous in its isolation, which sounds crazy, but there was so much beauty to that.
Speaker 1: But after hearing all that, can you all tell if we would tell you to watch it or skip it? Stay here all right, folks, Train Dreams? You know why the title anyway? Do you remember?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 2: Because he would get on the train and have to leave his family for months at a time, and then with a bunch of other loggers looking for work, instot the train would take him I'm thinking, to work, but then back to the life that he was wanting to be able to support.
Speaker 1: Somebody asked you to tonight, Hey, should I watch Trained Dreams?
Speaker 2: You would tell them I would say to watch it. I really liked it.
Speaker 3: I thought there was a lot of beauty and value in.
Speaker 2: It, And I just think I would probably tell them, you need to be in the right state of mind, don't be sleepy, and if you're looking for some fast paced action, thriller comedy like, it's none of those things. This is actually if you're kind of in a reflective.
Speaker 3: Meditative place.
Speaker 2: I really think this is a beautiful movie to watch if you're willing to just kind of go in deep with connection and just I think this is celebrating the beauty of life in its simplest form and just respecting the cycle of life and seeing how fleeting things are but still being able to be at peace with it.
Speaker 3: People a lot of folks who.
Speaker 2: Went online and talked about this talked about it highlighting invisible pain, and that's something so many people feel but don't know how to express or to even connect with. And this movie spoke to a lot of people because it it highlighted or it showed in a way without even saying so much. They showed what it's like to live with invisible pain and still find beauty.
Speaker 1: It is. It felt like reading a book, a really good book. And you know, I don't read a out of books, but there was detail, if you will, that felt like some of the stuff you would only get from taking a deep dive into a character in a book. But they pulled it off in an hour forty two. Congrats to them and anything they pick up I would applaud. This was a This was a unique movie. I thought it was gorgeous. Not something I don't think I would ever There's a caveat I would never say, go you gotta see train dreams tonight and then not say but but heads up right, you would need to give a little bit of a warning before.
Speaker 3: So watch it with an asterisk.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, this is not Friday night popcorn movie.
Speaker 2: No, this might be a Sunday afternoon reflectible.
Speaker 1: Right after watching Jane Pauli on CBS.
Speaker 2: Yes, maybe a Sunday mornings and then you turn this on. That would actually took a good anytime you would think you would want to watch Planet Earth and I just remember you.
Speaker 3: The narrator was David Atteboro. But if you like that, you'll love this movie.
Speaker 1: There you go. All right, that's number now, only one more. It's going to be next on our feet. It'll be right after this one movie number ten for us. It's going to be sentimental value. We don't know really what to do with this one. All right, we'll see you on the next one.