Speaker 1: You are listening to the Dan Patrick Show on Fox Sports Radio.
Speaker 2: Hey, it's our two on this Thursday, Morales High. We have baseball today, and I said to Tyler and the big German, let's fire up the triggers. We need baseball hot dogs today. Who has it better than we do?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Yes, playball stat of the day. Got you buy penadi America the official trading cards of the program. Our celebrity Bracket Challenge. And if you want to start at the bottom and work your way up, you'll see seating myself down there at the bottom. Foxsports Radio dot Com and for long Power by next Sueek. Don't miss the biggest WrestleMania in history. Cody Rhodes Roman reigns the Rock Watch WrestleMania forty on April sixth and seventh. It's so big it takes two days. It's on uh Peacock, exclusively on Peacock, which is where you'll find this show. Good morning. If you watch on Peacock, you can dial us up eight seven to seven three. DP show email address DP at Danpatrick dot com, Twitter handle the DP Show Basketball Tonight Clemson, Arizona, San Diego State, Yukon, Bama, North Carolina, Illinois and Iowa State thirteen games Major League Baseball weather permitting. LSU's Jaden Daniels had his pro day yesterday. Now, there's a couple of schools of thought with j Jaden Daniels. When he played at Arizona State under Herm Edwards, he was very thin, exciting, dynamic, made the highlights, but thin goes to LSU. Seemed to be a little bit bigger. He's six three, about two ten, and there's a feel that he's sort of Lamar Jackson like as far as his build. But I don't see that because Lamar looks pretty solid and Jaden Daniels still looks a little thin. Now, this is part of the knock on him seventeen games schedule, just like Bryce Young. Now, he's taller than Bryce Young, but canny withstand the riggers of a seventeen game schedule. I don't know of any quarterback who can really withstand the riggers of a seventeen game schedule. It's the style you play is the reason you can or can't withstand the riggers of an NFL season. Russell Wilson's done an unbelievable job at his size of avoiding big hits, whereas I like in Jaden Daniels to RG three, I think RG three was six ' to two but slight, and he took on some hits there and cut short his career. I mean there's other reasons that factored in, but he had a meteoric rise when he got in. We had not seen somebody like him, probably since Michael Vick. But I look at Jaden Daniels, is he a RG three type? You know, very athletic and very accurate as a passer and as pro day Sometimes when you take somebody for granted, like Caleb Williams has been great, and there were ESPN analysts who came away and said, Okay, yeah, nothing special. Well, if you're looking at a beautiful woman and you know she's a beautiful woman, and then you meet her and you go, yeah, yeah, I mean she's beautiful. But then if you have somebody and you go, hey, she is really sneaky good looking, then you meet him and going you are right, no surprises. Well maybe with Jaden Daniels you're a little bit more surprised. Whereas Caleb Williams, you weren't at the pro day and it felt like some of the analysts were coming back from that pro day going wow, Now it's not just how he plays, it's how he answers questions, his personality, what his teammates say about him. And I think that's where Jaden Daniels made some impact and imprint on some of these analysts by how he handled himself. Now you had people knocking Caleb Williams because he has a pink cell phone, like, get a grip with reality here. Oh my gosh, I'd never d a guy who has a pink cell phone. Okay, good, I'll take him. I don't care. I mean, Joe Burrow shows up in crazy outfits. Are you gonna go Nope, I'm not taking him. He has crazy outfits there. You know, we talk ourselves in and out of logic. Sometimes you're going, does that make sense? Jaden Daniels, Kenny withstand the punishment, the rigors of a seventeen game schedule. If he's smart, then he can can Caleb Williams. Yes, if he's smart. If you extend a play, that's one thing. If you're trying to run, because that's the play that's designed, that's different. Now Josh Allen takes on Contactchue a tongue of ilo is not taking on contact. I would expect Jaden Daniels to not take on contact. Most quarterbacks shouldn't take on contact. Cam Newton could take on contact, but you know what happened after a while taking on that contact out of football in his early thirties. You gotta be smart. It's all be smart. Jayden Daniels made an impression Malik Neighbors, his wide receiver. He stood out. You know it's weird. And I liken this too. When a scout went to watch somebody else playing in a basketball game and found Jahn Morant, they weren't going to scout John Morant. They found Ja Morant. Like that guy's really good over there. Now, Jaden Daniels is going to be probably the second quarterback taken. But Neighbors, when you watch him, you're like, I found myself watching him more than I did Jaden Daniels just because he may be the first receiver off the board as far as the number two pick overall. The Commanders and their new head coach Dan Quinn had this to say.
Speaker 3: Somebody thinks they know they're about to fill me in because Adam and Einem we're not there. Yet so once we get that's okay, once we do, but let's go through the whole thing. And that's actually a really fun part of this to make sure that you don't crush them, you know, for us, are all these picks. We're going to add a lot of really good players, add a lot of positions, so I know, quarterback gets a lot of the attention, and like as.
Speaker 2: It should, is the story here everywhere.
Speaker 4: But there's a lot of players and the.
Speaker 3: Team has been set up in a good space, you know, with a lot of picks for this year's draft. So that'll be one of the storylines, but it won't be the story line.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's go around the room. Who thinks the commanders don't know who they're taking? At number two seaton? You don't think that they know who they're taking? Not one? Okay, what percentage would you give me somewhere? But in the seventy five? Okay, Marvin, I'm what's seeing? Okay? There you go, we win? Okay, Well, I don't know what the other side there, Pauli and Fritzie, looks like you think the commanders know who they're taking.
Speaker 5: Yes, the first two picks are set.
Speaker 6: Four weeks from today? Is in three weeks from today, four weeks from today, four weeks?
Speaker 2: Which one is it? Todd?
Speaker 6: It would be four weeks from today.
Speaker 5: Okay, he's a draft whore.
Speaker 6: I know who you're picking.
Speaker 5: Who's more insured, Todd or the Commanders.
Speaker 2: M Todd just had a little slip up in the last hour though he misheard. He misheard where the All Star Game was going to be.
Speaker 6: And the NBA All Star Game is in fact at the Chase Center.
Speaker 2: Next year in San Francisco. But we were talking Baseball Star Game, which would be Arlington? Thank you all right? I'm looking at the numbers here. Lamar measured six two two sixteen r G three at the combine six two two twenty one. Jayden Daniels is six three and a half to ten a day. Start of a day. This is the start of the day to you by Panadi America, the official trading cards of this program. Pole question for hour two is watch Seaton. Well, we got two of them up there right now. Dan, We've got.
Speaker 7: I'd most want to have a solid tenure career as a Major League baseball player, an NBA player, or an NFL player.
Speaker 2: Okay, we're gonna guess here. Okay, now, is money the same? I don't know, is it. I think we have to have money. That's kind of the same. Now, No, I think that goes into it. Well, what position are we talking about? Oh, my gosh, because am I a quarter Am I a quarterback?
Speaker 5: It's your pick?
Speaker 8: You have you have a nice NFL career, Okay, Brad Johnson, Okay, you can.
Speaker 7: Be the greatest player in either one of these sports. You're making great money. Everything is awesome. You have a monster sneaker deal, you play in the city that you love, and the taxes aren't too high.
Speaker 2: So I'm the greatest in my sport. Whatever I want to pick.
Speaker 7: For ten years, you're gonna have a great ten year career, and in that ten years you are fantastic.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's look at average salary if we can, oh each sport?
Speaker 8: Yeah, okay, average NFL salary two point eight million dollars.
Speaker 5: It's also not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I'm gonna be great in my sport.
Speaker 5: No, You're gonna be good in your sport.
Speaker 2: Oh, Seaton said, I can be the best in my sport. Now you're gonna go.
Speaker 5: You're gonna be good.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 5: The pole questions, say, give a nice career, a nice.
Speaker 2: Okay, Okay, let's get examples, though.
Speaker 7: The average salary for an NBA player is about seven million a year according to this.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's not that money. Okay, but let me get examples here. You can be what NBA player? What NFL player? And uh what NFL play and what baseball? Yeah, baseball player. So let's come up with somebody where you go.
Speaker 8: Okay, you can be Darren Sprolls, Darren a very solid running back, very popular player, not in danger, going to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 7: The average MLB salary four point five.
Speaker 9: This is yes, Tobias Harris an NBA like a nice, solid NBA player, you guys said, good NBA player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's making thirty million dollars a year.
Speaker 6: So I'd rather be an NBA player.
Speaker 7: Yes, And Jimmy turns into a punchline walking off the field, Tobias Harris, I don't want that said about me.
Speaker 5: I don't want that.
Speaker 7: I don't I don't want Jimmy Butler to be like Tobias Harris. Really, Kelly olinok nah, I'm.
Speaker 2: Good Kelly Olinic. Okay, would you rather be Yeah, Jimmy g Kelly Olinic or m Yeah, it's Tom trying to find out.
Speaker 7: That's why if you just keep it a year veteran baseball player, basketball player, football player, that solid ten year career. All right, you're you're not a Hall of Famer. I guess you're getting rich in all of them. I'd rather be a ten year vet in the NBA. Yeah, because I'm playing indoors. I don't have to play all eighty two games because nobody does and nobody cares if I don't. Man, you're gonna make pretty good money traveling around. There's only you know, thirteen or fourteen people, fifteen people on the.
Speaker 2: Charter there stretch out a little bit. And if I'm single doing damage in each city is only cod could do? La work, Yeah, la work. Yeah. I would say I'd be a ten year veteran NBA. Anybody have a different sport, like a Kirk Heinrich type.
Speaker 8: You know, you have a nice career, You bounce, go places, you get some starts.
Speaker 2: Sure, Kirk Heinrich played a lot started. You've got a good career. Yes, Tom, I know it's a.
Speaker 10: Long season, but the fresh air baseball is to me this an appeal to that can make a lot of money, less damage for the most part, on your knees, unless you're a catcher as opposed to the other sports.
Speaker 6: I would want to be above average baseball play.
Speaker 10: If you're mess up three and a half out of fourth time, if you're successful, you know, like two and a half, two, three quarter times out of four, you're a pretty good ballplayer. You know, you're a major All starf one out of every three times you're doing something.
Speaker 2: What happens on the three quarters time that that's tough.
Speaker 6: It's tough to calculate that. But the analytics people could help you with that.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes, if you were successful three out of four times that you played, you would be by far the greatest baseball player of all TA seven fifty. If you you're a great player. If you're good three out of ten times, yeah, you're a you're a Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: I think you're numbers. Yeah, that was two and a half out of four times. You were passionate though when you said I.
Speaker 10: Was I prefer baseball, You guys will have to deal with the fact that I pick, Yeah, do you mess up set three out of four? But that would be godding seven to fifty and then you would be super human like some kind.
Speaker 2: Of road said two and three quarters successful.
Speaker 10: Because one out of every three and very few people are batting three thirty three that that's not above average.
Speaker 2: Pa, we got we got a time. And the NBA also we have the All Star Game.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the NFL Draft is four weeks from two.
Speaker 2: And if you're Bonex, where you think bo Nix is next will be picked.
Speaker 6: By Bo Knicks.
Speaker 7: All Kay Knicks, Broncos Bonix would pick Bo Nicks.
Speaker 6: I bet he's got to go all in on yourself. We talk about that all.
Speaker 2: The car right, nobody's better than me? All right.
Speaker 7: We also have another poll question up there, Todd. This might be right up your alley, but would you rather play second base, shortstop, or right field?
Speaker 10: Oh?
Speaker 6: If I was very good at all those positions, I want to be short Is.
Speaker 2: This the Mookie Bets question?
Speaker 7: That's the Mookie Bets pol question. And those are the three positions that I believe that he's played.
Speaker 2: You got to play shortstop? Yeah, right now?
Speaker 7: Shortstop has thirty seven point nine percent of the vote. Yeah, nobody wants to play second base, which I'm personally offended.
Speaker 2: Second base is a great position. Yeah, I played short stop. Uh, you know, you're right there. All the action.
Speaker 7: Best player on the team goes to shortened pitch. Pitch yeah yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Paul.
Speaker 8: Right field, you're grass, you can see the fans right by you, and chitchall a little bit.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I don't want to part of that, really. No.
Speaker 7: Right fielders make a great salary when you're older, but when you're younger, it's where you put the worst player on the team.
Speaker 2: It used to hello, Hello. It's either a catcher when you're younger, or right field, and then you'll send the kid out there. I love watching little league, not even little league like t ball, just to see what they do and the fact that they're just out there and they have no interest in the game itself. And then a'll ball be hit and you're like skippy, and then he'll be like okay, yes, God.
Speaker 10: And in the early days of the litter league, everyone has to play at least a half a game or a couple of innings. When you know there's some kids that just do not belong out there, and I know the parents are there and everything, but you're trying to win some games and put a good roster together, and then you got to let them play all the different positions, so all the kids get a chance to try all the different spots.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Mookie Betts in his eleven year career has played outfield, right field, centerfield, second base, shortstop in DH and he's played one hundred and second base to twenty three at centerfield, and nine and seventy eight and right field, and a bonus of eighteen games at shortstep.
Speaker 5: That's impressive.
Speaker 7: Yeah, seat you are seeing the thing like where like the coach's kid is pitching, the best player is shortstop, Like the smallest kid plays second. They put each little league position, the fastest kid is centerfield, the toughest kid is catcher. It's kind of the way it all went. Do you think we're profiled a little bit? The tallest kid, you know where he plays first base?
Speaker 2: Exactly. Yeah. If you're left handed, then you're usually playing first base. Definitely, Yeah, definitely. I remember playing against a guy who was a left handed catcher. That's weird, and I had never seen he got drafted by the Reds, that's weird. His name is Marlin Styles. I think he got drafted by the Reds. He was a left handed catcher, and every time he'd catch it and he'd throw the ball back at whiz right by your head. When you're at the plate. You kept thinking, if I just lean in here, he's gonna bang me right in the nogin here. All right. We didn't settle anything, I don't think there but nothing. We did waste some time. Playball, huh, playball time like baseball? All right? Christian Leytner is going to join us twenty ten, enshrined in the Hall of Fame as a member of the Dream Team. The only player from the Dream Team who hasn't been inducted into the Hall of Fame individually. What is wrong with this picture? Take a break back After this Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 1: Be sure to catch the live edition of The Dan Patrick Show weekdays at nine am Eastern six am Pacific on Fox Sports Radio and the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 11: Hey gang, this is Jay Glazer, host of Unbreakable, a Mental wealth podcast, and every week we will have on leader from sports entertainment like Sean McVay, Lindsay Vaughn, Michael phelf David Spade, got Fiemmy, and also those who could help us in between the years, anyone from a therapist to someone like ed Milette for John Gordon. We've all been through some sort of adversity to get to the top. We've all used different tools. Listen to Unbreakable with Jay Glazer and Mental Wealth podcast on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts or wherever you get podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thirteen baseball games scheduled basketball tonight, Clemson, Arizona, San Diego State, Connecticut, Alabama, North Carolina, Illinois, Iowa State. Bama's been in the Sweet sixteen three of the last four years. You're looking at it. I said, oh, here's the playoffs. You go, Oh, that's football. Clemson's in there, Alabama's in there. Well, Yukon in there, so it wouldn't be you know, football, but Illinois, Iowa State, Arizona also in the Sweet sixteen. Games coming up tonight. I'll reiterate this. I've said this twice and let it sink in and twenty ten. Christian Laitner and shrined in the Naysmith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame, a member of the nineteen ninety two Dream Team. But Christian is the only player of that team who hasn't been inducted into the Hall of Fame individually, and Christian Latner joined us on the program. Why is that.
Speaker 12: Dan?
Speaker 5: Is that you?
Speaker 2: Yes, it is Christian.
Speaker 4: It's me.
Speaker 12: I know we're looking different, you know, these days. But good to see you.
Speaker 2: Good to see you. Why aren't you in the Hall of Fame for your playing career?
Speaker 4: Who knows. I don't really think about it that much.
Speaker 12: I'm in plenty of hall of fames and the one I'm may be most proud of is the Polish Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: So I'm fine, what did you get for the Polish Hall of Fame? And is Shryzhevsky in the Polish Hall of Fame?
Speaker 4: I mean, I'm pretty sure he is. He'd better be. I think he is.
Speaker 12: I got a nice trip up to I think it was in Detroit, and we had a nice banquet and maybe a trophy or some type of metal and it was a great time. My family was able to join me because they're proud Pollocks.
Speaker 2: No, but I'm serious, why you're not in the basketball Hall of Fame Because people will have to understand it's what you did in college and or the pros, and you were one of the five or ten greatest college players of all time. Your resume shows that, and you had a sustained pro career, so I'm I'm curious. I know you might not care, but just from somebody covering the sport, you should be in the Basketball Hall of Fame.
Speaker 12: Well thanks, Dan, I appreciate you saying that. And every time you mention it, some of my friends text me and say, Dan Patrick's you know.
Speaker 4: Doing it again? And I don't. I don't commit any thought to it.
Speaker 5: Okay, don't.
Speaker 12: I don't think about it. I don't worry about it. It might happen someday and life goes on.
Speaker 2: Were you there when the Dream Team went in whenevery, you know, the twenty ten enshrinement?
Speaker 4: Yes, I was there.
Speaker 2: What was that like? How much smacked talk was going on?
Speaker 4: It was awesome. It was great to see all the guys again.
Speaker 12: I retired from the NBA in five so I went four or five years without seeing any of my old buddies or guys that I used to play against. So it was great to be there and to see everybody and to be part of that group.
Speaker 2: But you know, having so much confidence when you played at Duke and in the NBA, and then all of a sudden you're around the Dream Team guys, can you be Christian Latner around those guys or did you have to, you know, kind of suppress your ego a little bit.
Speaker 12: They allowed me to be Christian Latner, but at the same time they wanted me to know and.
Speaker 4: To be and to act like a rookie. And that's what I did.
Speaker 12: And that's why in the past I've said it would have been harder for Shack or limes all Morning.
Speaker 4: To be on that team because.
Speaker 12: Maybe you gotta throw the ball to Shack a little more, and maybe Shaq doesn't accept his role as willingly as I did.
Speaker 4: I was a very good rookie. I knew my role.
Speaker 12: I loved the fact that when the media walked in, no one came to me and wanted to.
Speaker 4: Talk to me.
Speaker 12: And after practice I would just go pick up the balls and put him in the racks and pick up everyone's dirty towel and get ready for the next practice. So it was a great environment. I loved every second of it.
Speaker 4: As you know, Dan, we had a lot of success my junior and senior year at Duke.
Speaker 12: But if you had asked me what was my favorite year at Duke, I would say my freshman year, and I loved every second of playing in the NBA. But if you had asked me my favorite year, I would say my rookie year, even though we lost a lot of games. My rookie year with the Timberwolves. Like a lot of people I might, I prefer things that are brand new, things that are over my head, things where I'm just flying by the seat of my pants and I don't really know what I'm doing and I really can't control anything.
Speaker 4: So my favorite year at Duke was.
Speaker 12: My freshman year when there weren't that many expectations put on my shoulders. Or I loved every second of the Dream Team because I didn't have to score twenty points for us to win.
Speaker 4: So having no expectations is a time that I love.
Speaker 2: Talking to Christian Latner joining us on behalf of DraftKings sportsbook. It's available no sweat bet any college basketball game between now and Sunday. You can opt in, apply to no Sweat token, and if the bet loses, you still get a bonus bet back. But when you look at Jordan up close, when you're watching him with the Dream Team, it felt like that was the coming out party where Larry and Magic got already passed the baton to Mike and he was the best player in the game and dominating probably those pickup games. What was your first impression when you see Jordan or you're trying to guard him.
Speaker 12: My first impression of Jordan and my lasting impression of Jordan is how much effort he put forth on the defensive end. People don't talk about that enough. You know, you get on Facebook and it shows his dunks and his offensive plays. But you got to remember, I think he was first team All Defensive team, what eight, ten, twelve years.
Speaker 4: I mean, people don't stress that enough.
Speaker 12: I coach basketball nowadays, Dan with middle school and high school players, and I don't have time on the court to teach the kids defense enough. You're only practicing with them once or twice a week, and you gotta work on offensive stuff. And if you don't let them shoot three pointers, they cry, and if you don't let them do the stupid Euro step, you know, they complain and all this stuff. Well, how about some defensive drills and some defensive work. And Michael Jordan was the greatest defender also, and look at the effort Kobe Bryant put forth on the defensive end, and that's where the differences are made, the small little things in the game that make a huge difference.
Speaker 4: Playing defense hard, playing defense the right way.
Speaker 2: But are you coaching? Are you channeling Mike Skruyshewski when you're coaching these middle school kids?
Speaker 12: I am, And usually it's when I get a little too intense and a little too passionate and maybe raise my tone of voice a little bit too much, because that's what made us good at Duke or great at Duke was the intensity and the passion that coach k had every second.
Speaker 4: And that's what I loved about him so much. When I find myself being patient and I find myself not losing my patience and losing my temper a little bit, then I'm more like my father. My father coached grammar school kids, such a patient man. I love the way my dad coached. But it also feels good.
Speaker 12: To get intense and to get passionate about the game out there, and maybe raise your tone of voice a little bit and tell these kids, we gotta play harder, we got to play better, We got to play some freaking defense.
Speaker 2: You hit a fifteen foot turnaround jumper on this day giving a Duke. The overtime went over Kentucky ten for ten from the floor, ten for ten from the line, thirty one points. Anything else from that game that we may not know, because we certainly have dissected that over the years, over the decades.
Speaker 12: No, I don't think you know anything's not been spoken about.
Speaker 2: Was there any chance you weren't getting the ball on that inbounds pass?
Speaker 4: There was a chance.
Speaker 12: I think Coach k said something like, if Christian's not open, throw it to the sideline to Thomas Hill or Bobby Hurley. You would have to ask Grant because he's the one that had the ball in his hands. He was the quarterback at that time. He's the one making the ultimate decision. So you would have to ask Grant that question.
Speaker 2: And that was a harder play though than you just getting a fifteen foot jumper.
Speaker 12: Well, every play on the basketball court is difficult, especially during March Madness, especially during against Kentucky, when you're down one point and there's two point one seconds left and there's a lot of pressure and you don't want to lose, and the Duke family and the fans are gonna cry, and I mean everything will be over my career at Duke would be over.
Speaker 4: So there's a lot of pressure. But that's why you go to Duke.
Speaker 12: That's why you play in all those That's why you play in all those big games against NC State, against Carolina. You go down to Clemson where they're trying to kill you, and they're throwing heat it up quarters.
Speaker 4: At you, you know, from the from the stands, and.
Speaker 2: You justin and throwing those at you at Clemson.
Speaker 12: I swear when I was at Clemson, I got hit with a penny or a nickel and it seemed like.
Speaker 4: It was warm, Dan, I'll tell you that. But you know, you just get you get used to it.
Speaker 12: You get used to that pressure, and it's such a great feeling and it's such a great thing to still be able to perform under all that pressure.
Speaker 4: And I loved every second of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you embraced it, and you embraced being a villain too.
Speaker 4: I embrace playing for Duke.
Speaker 12: I embrace playing for a great program that had a support staff and a family and a fan base.
Speaker 2: You had to like being hated because that means you're really good or great. No.
Speaker 12: I liked representing Duke, and when you're Duke basketball and you're winning a lot of your games, and every place you go it might be the biggest game of their season, and they're going to give you your best shot. And you know it's it's hardening you. You know, it's making you a better player. That's the thing that I loved.
Speaker 2: What about expanding the tournament, there's been talk of that. Where do you stand on that?
Speaker 12: No, they gotta you know, everyone says the horses out of the barn, and I'm here to tell you.
Speaker 4: That everything's going wrong.
Speaker 12: Nil, take it away, transper portal, take it away, expanding the stupid tournament, take it away. You have to make it feel special. You have to make people earn their spot to get in the tournament. I know everything is about money, and money makes.
Speaker 4: The world go round.
Speaker 12: Everything they're doing is wrong. The nil is bad. Take it away, the transfer portal bad.
Speaker 4: Take it away.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they can. It's already. It's already done, Christian. Now we have to adapt to it. Like that's the problem with it. Grown ups allow this to happen. Would you have asked for nil money at Duke.
Speaker 12: No, even though everyone says, boy Christian, you would have made a lot of money if nil was going when you were there. That's what the NBA is for. That's why there's guys in the NBA making fifty million a year. That's what you train and work hard for and the payoff comes at the end.
Speaker 2: What do people say to you when they see you outside of where you live, like at an airport? What do people say to you? Normally?
Speaker 4: Nowadays they say, can I take a picture with you?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 12: And a lot of them say I love you, and a lot of them say I hated you, but can I still take youselfie with you?
Speaker 2: You're a coach, man, I can't imagine that. By the way, Bobby Hurley is in the Polish Hall of Fame as well.
Speaker 4: Yes he should be.
Speaker 12: And Bobby's a coach and his brother Danny's a coach, And how good is that Hurley family at coaching?
Speaker 4: You know, I love watching you can play.
Speaker 12: They're an incredible team, but they don't play pick up playground basketball. They slow down when they need to, they pass ahead when they need to. I love the way U Can plays.
Speaker 1: I do too.
Speaker 2: It's old school. I mean, it's just they're not dependent on the three. Do you think Coach k would have let you guys let it fly from three point range.
Speaker 12: He would have let certain people who could shoot the three pointer shoot the three pointer. I mean, you have to be able to prove yourself in practice, and if you're making them in practice, and the coaches turned to Coach K and say, man later can shoot the three, we should let him shoot the three. Every decision Coach K made was you had to prove it in practice.
Speaker 4: So I think that's what he would have done.
Speaker 2: I asked Coach K who had more range, Caitlyn Clark or JJ Reddick. Who do you think? He said, Kaitlyn Clark, No, he said JJ Reddick. I go, no way. But he didn't take deep threes. Caitlyn takes deep threes.
Speaker 12: Yeah, you know, the logo three wasn't a thing when JJ was in school. But I've seen Dennis Scott hit half court shots like he shot his and he would go out in Cameron, you know, before the game and warm ups, and our fans would be freaking cheering for tennis.
Speaker 4: Scott, and I was like, what the heck's going on?
Speaker 12: But he was out there putting on a circus show and shooting half court shots like you and I would shoot our free throw.
Speaker 2: But then, was Kenny Anderson still there?
Speaker 12: Kenny Anderson was there a year or two later. Kenny Anderson's one of the greatest point guards that I've ever played against, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, Well, it's great to talk to you. I hope you're doing well. Don't get kicked out of any games. Don't you know, have something go viral? You know where you're yelling in a seventh grader?
Speaker 12: Okay, I've coached about one hundred games, Dan, and I've gotten kicked out of one.
Speaker 2: What did you do to get kicked out? Did you argue a call?
Speaker 4: I might have said that word to the rep and they kicked me out.
Speaker 12: But luckily it didn't go on YouTube. It didn't go viral, so so I got away with it.
Speaker 2: If it did, Coach k would call you, he.
Speaker 4: Might, and he would say you're doing good.
Speaker 2: Good to visit with you. Thanks for joining us, Christian Okay, thanks, Hall of Fame, Hall of Fame. We're gonna get you in. Christian Laighton, two time champion, Duke and uh part of the Dream Team, by the way, joining us on behalf of Draftking sportsbook and they have a no sweat bet any college basketball game between now on Sunday the no Sweat token and if the bet loses, you still get a bonus bet back.
Speaker 7: Polish Hall of Fame is elite though it. Oh yeah, that's great, Okay, yeah, Pauling.
Speaker 8: And you only have to be half Polish Mike Suesski obviously in Christian Layner, half Polish, Bobby Hurley half Polish Mike Jaminski first ballot.
Speaker 2: Ooh g man.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And there's Kelly Tripukadan. Oh you love him, Yes, I did, just amongst luminaries. Yeah, except for when Kelly went to the when he went to is Afro. That wasn't a good look there.
Speaker 7: Each there own.
Speaker 2: Yeah, take a break. Phone calls coming up next. Fox Sports Radio has the best sports talk lineup in the nation. Catch all of our shows at Foxsportsradio dot com and within the iHeartRadio app search FSR to listen live. Always fun to catch up with Latner. We were wondering the last great four year player, like truly great player in college basketball because Tim Duncan stayed, Grand Hill stayed, Ewing stayed. I can go back if you want to include. He's not a great player, but he was the number one overall pick. Kenyon Martin, I think all four years at Cincinnati. But the last truly great player who stayed for four years, yeah, Paul.
Speaker 8: Tim Duncan, I'm looking back, could have gone out after a sophomore or junior season and bet a top five pick. He stayed and he was ninth ninety seven. That's pretty late in the game. Yeah, as well passed the one and done here.
Speaker 2: Grant Hill, he stayed all four years. Anybody after that, where you go? That guy is great. I mean, now, it's to the point if you don't leave after your freshman year, certainly after your sophomore year, something's wrong with you. You know, like Zach Edie, you're going, well, he needs to get better. Luke Garza needed to get better. And then sometimes you'll stay. Steph Curry. You know, Steph stayed so he could work on his ball handling skills and become a point guard as opposed to his you know, shooting guard.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Paul, Right before Tim Duncan, Alan Irison did two years, Glenn Robinson did three years. It's just before Chris Weber did two years, Shack did two years. They could have to go back to Danny Manning in nineteen eighty eight, he was the number one pick. I think he played all four years Agansas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that's eighty eight. I'm talking about.
Speaker 8: Nothing since, not even close. Since after him, it was Elton Brand and Kwame Brown and Yao ming Lebron James. There's nothing even close guys who stayed a long time.
Speaker 2: So who is the last great player to stay four years? Was it Tim Duncan or grand Hill who came first or last?
Speaker 7: Grand Hill's older, he is, Okay, that's tough though, that's tough to figure out.
Speaker 2: Well, how many guys do stay longer than two years if you're truly a great player. But dunk In is Duncan the last last of that generation, even staying three years. That's why you'll never have another Latner again. You just you won't because somebody of that magnitude is not going to stay four years.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: He stayed four years because he loved playing at Duke, but he was a top five pick by Minnesota. There won't be another Patrick Ewing, I mean, Tim Duncan. All these guys that stay four years, there's really no reason to stay all four years or three years or two years. Yes, marm the.
Speaker 9: Only guys that stay all four years are fringe NBA players like you know what, if you get drafted, you'd be a late first round, early second round, like the guys were talking about, Like you said, Shack and Duncan and Ewing Ralph Sampson, those guys could have gone out two years before they declared for the draft.
Speaker 2: Greg and Florida joins us. Good morning, Greg, what's on your mind? Good morning? Uh?
Speaker 1: Dan? Who do you think will have the best career out of these five guys? Jalen Brumson, Shape Gildris, Alexander, Trey Young, Tyrese Haliburton or Tyrese Maxi?
Speaker 2: Oh, well, feels like Shay Gildriss Alexander is a little tick above them. We don't talk about Trey Young that much anymore. He's still good player, good numbers. Halliburton's a lot of fun. But you know, I watched him when he was in Sacramento. But this injury and now coming back because you want to qualify with the sixty five games, he hasn't played that well. Maxie, I'd been trumpeting since he got in. I thought he was going to be an All Star two years ago. Uh who else was in there? Maxie Haliburton Trey Young, Uh, Shay Gilgis, Uh, Jalen and Bo Nicks. Thank you, Tod Jalen bruns is pretty good. Wow, I might I might put Alexander put Brunson underneath Shay Gilgis. I mean, Brunson's doing it in New York City. He's the leader of that team. I think he's surprised a lot of people that he had this this much ability to be able to score and they're they're a relevant team, they're playing well. It starts with him. That's interesting question. George and Texas. Good morning, George. What's on your mind?
Speaker 13: Hey Dan, I just wanted to ask what the sports landscape changing for the worst. In my opinion, if you could relive a sports decade, either as a reportal or just a fan, what decade would you choose?
Speaker 2: Well, I think it depends on the sport that you're covering, Because if you said I could watch baseball in the twenties with the Yankees, the Black Sox scandal, Babe Ruth, that would be pretty entertaining. I love the old AFL in the sixties, plus you had the NFL like that might be the period I'd take because the AFL a lot of their rosters were made up of African American players who were playing at historically black colleges and universities. They got a chance to play in the AFL. And I loved watching the AFL, but you you know, you kind of mirror or you compare that with the NFL in their style was pretty much run the football. Quarterback may throw it fifteen times a game. In the AFL, you were throwing the football when you have a quarterback named Darryl Lamonica whose nickname was the Mad Bomber. That's my kind of football. You had old school and you had new school. You had the ABA and the NBA, and we saw that the NBA adopted some things from the ABA. The ABA was a lot of fun. That was running gun, a lot of fun. That should have been their moto, running gun a lot of fun. And then you had the NBA, which I would love to have watched the Celtics with Russell. I never got to see him play in person, but to be able to see Red Auerbach coaching, smoking a cigar, being in the old Boston garden, that would have been fun. Watching them go against you know, Wilt Chamberlain, that would have been fun as well, so I would probably say the sixties, you know, in all sports, if you're looking at it, baseball, when I first fell in love with baseball back in the late sixties, well, mid sixties. All right, we'll take a break, last call for phone calls, Watson Store, final hour on the way. Todd's here, Seaton's here, Marvin's here, Pauli's here. Yours truly playball. Opening day of Baseball