Speaker 1: No one has all the answers, but when we ask the right questions, we get a little closer, closer to truths, closer to each other, even closer to ourselves. I'm journalist Danielle Robe, and each week, my guests and I come together to challenge the status quo and our own ways of thinking by daring to ask what if, why not? And who says? So? Come curious, dig deep, and join the conversation. It's time to question everything. Hello, my friends, Happy Thursday. I am just coming back from Denver. The last few days I was there for the NWSL, the National Women's Soccer League, and it was my first women's soccer game. I was telling everybody that my first football game was a super Bowl. I haven't been to a football game since, and I also don't even remember who played. It was the Lady Gaga Super Bowl, and I hadn't been to a women's soccer game, and I didn't know how I would feel. It was so fun. Wow, I'm going to go to an LA Galaxy game. Now that I'm back in LA and here for a little bit, I can't believe how interesting and fun it was. Like I feel like I'd been missing out on this amazing thing. And I was there with the NWSL. They're absolutely making history. The game I was at had sixty three thousand attendees, which is the most ever. And I was interviewing Melody Hobson, Malala and Ali Raceman while I was there. And Melody Hobson, she's somebody I've wanted to talk to for a long time. I'm going to try and get her on the pod, but she said a few things that really stood out to me that I just wanted to share before we get into today's episode because I think it'll resonate the way it did with me. So first of all, I was asking her why women's sports, because Melody has had one job since college. Okay, most people have an average of eleven jobs over their lifetime, Melody has had one. It's at Ariel Investments, which is an investment fund, and she raised a two hundred and fifty million dollar fund for women's sports. She owns the Denver Women's Soccer League along with a lot of other teams with her husband George Lucas, and this fund. The two hundred and fifty million dollar fund will reach a billion soon and it will be the largest female investment fund around and I asked her aside from all the financials, which she explained, like why it makes sense? I asked her why and she got quiet for a second and she said, because we are giving women what they are doue. Women's sacrifice and work and give and have for so long, and we are giving women what they are due. And everybody in the room got quiet, like you could just feel the energy shift. And then she shared this story and this is what I want to share with you because I've actually been thinking about it since she said it. She said, her husband George Lucas, who's a famous film director. He did Star Wars, which you know, has really stood the test of time in the way most films just don't like it became a phenomenon. And he's friends with director Ghirmo del Toro and Guaramo recently did Frankenstein, which won an Oscar and Ghirrimo sent them the film to watch, and she texted him and she said, Geirmo, this was amazing. Congratulations and he said, thanks, Melody. I think everybody gets one song. This was my song. What's yours? And she paused and she was like, WHOA, what a question? And she thought about it and she said, my song is inclusion, and that's obviously part of the Women's Sports Fund. But you know, the rest of the week, in the weekend, I was thinking, what is my song?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Curiosity is a form of love. I don't know yet. I'm trying to think about it, but I would ask you, what is your song? It's interesting to think about. Okay, let's get into today's episode because it's quite special. Now. A lot of us move through the world on autopilot. We walk past the same street, same objects, same people, and we never stop to question what it is that we're actually looking at. But our guest today has become a phenomenon in the art world by doing the opposite. Daniel Arsham doesn't just create art. He reveals what's hiding just beneath reality. He takes objects you think you understand and then makes you question when they exist, what they mean, and whether you've really seen them at all. If you know art, or fashion or culture, you've most likely seen his work. The melting clocks, the eroded sculptures that look like they're simultaneously falling apart and crystallizing back together. He's had collaborations with dior Portia, Tiffany Pokemon.
Speaker 2: One of the magical things about being an artist is you know when you make that thing that's the only one of those that exists in the world at that moment, and if you're very good at it, you can make these things that other people invest in not only with their money, but emotionally, conceptually, and that they think about over long periods of time.
Speaker 1: Daniel's built one of the most recognizable visual languages in modern art, a language about time, about decay, and about what survives. You could apply the same idea to his career. From the outside. A successful artist, his work has shown in museums and galleries around the world, and now a new memoir called Future Relic. But on his thirtieth birthday, Daniel Arsham was living in a ninety square foot box suspended from the ceiling of his own studio in Brooklyn, no kitchen, no shower, walking down the street to the YMCA to wash up, absolutely unknown and unproven. He took an enormous risk that changed the trajectory of his career and life.
Speaker 2: The most harsh truth is that most people are just not willing to fail for that long.
Speaker 1: Art historians will talk about a generation producing maybe a handful of artists, sometimes fewer than ten, people whose work genuinely enters the cultural conversation in a lasting way, the ones whose visual language becomes so distinctive that you recognize it without a label. Daniel Arsham is one of them. Now, today's conversation is about art, but I think it's really about something much more useful than that. It's about what it actually takes to build something that lasts. The obsession, the sacrifice, the willingness to fail in public for years without any guarantee of what's on the other side. So here's the question we're circling today, and the one I invite you to ask yourselves during or after you listen. What are you willing to suffer for in order to attain it? And how do you care keep going when there's no proof yet that you should. It's time to question everything with Daniel Arsham. Daniel, congratulations, A career memoir is pretty exciting.
Speaker 2: Yes, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: I really wanted to start with the art of noticing, because I feel like so much of what you do begins there. What is something beautiful or strange or interesting that you've noticed today that made you pause.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm back in New York. I've been traveling very heavily for the last couple of months, and you know, there's a lot of snow last time I was here in New York and it's finally melted away, and a lot of traffic this morning, so it took the subway up to the studio for I did a session on New York Fox five Good Day New York, which is like a New York stable this morning. I don't know. Interesting to just be back, you know, back in the city after being away for so long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, lots of noise in New York. Every time I go there, I notice the noise.
Speaker 2: You might hear some sirens in the background.
Speaker 1: I know that one of your earliest projects was taking pictures of doors and R two D two from Star Wars was something that you felt compelled to draw. But do you remember the first moment when you realize you were paying attention to the world differently?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think you know, my early art career, as I talked about in the book, was really through photography. And this is something my grandfather told me at the time when he had given me the camera, which is that you know, anyone can take a photo, but not everyone can make a kind of interesting image, and the camera is really a way of looking, a way of framing your own viewpoint. I think I've carried a lot of that into the way that I treat my work as an artist. It's really about revealing things that are just below the surface of our reality, and yes, showing people things that they may already know, but they're being presented in a slightly altered way, something unusual and out of the ordinary.
Speaker 1: I was reading the other day about a guy who said that if you meet a great photographer, know that they are probably in a lot of pain. The way they see the world is usually very sensitive. Would you agree with that. Was your grandfather a sensitive guy?
Speaker 2: No? I mean, I think his way of using photos was just documenting his everyday, you know, experience and was much more about family and travel and that kind of universe. He probably never printed his photos larger than like a small, you know, four x five image. When we think about image making as artists, I think our perspective is quite different, and a lot of it has to do with editing. So, you know, we may take hundreds of thousands of images or when I'm preparing a painting, I may do a number of preparatory drawings and then select and kind of edit down from that. So a couple of those drawings can be failures or not work, and you know, the final ones make it to the next stage.
Speaker 1: I find that there are people who like to talk about their process and then people who like to talk about the outcomes. And in your book, I was really struck by how much you talk about the process, the failures. I mean even you know, one of the subtitles is like Failures and Detours, and I'm curious why.
Speaker 2: You know, just going with the idea of failure. I think as artists, when we make work, or this is true for any creative person, it's like we want to reach the outcome that feels complete and feels ready to kind of go out into the world. There was a realization, I think for me at some point that I'm allowed to fail so many times. I almost have to collect those failures as a way to get to this final product. And people look at my career today or even like a completed work, and they don't really see all of the steps that went into creating that I can make a drawing now in thirty minutes, let's say, right, But it took me twenty five years to be able to learn how to do that. So there's a lot of like trial and error and repetition and a willingness to fail without really knowing that there is success on the other side of that. I think the simple and the most harsh truth is that most people are just not willing to fail for that long, right, for that many years to get through to the other side of being successful. And today I've done a lot. But when I woke up on my thirtieth birthday, I lived in my studio in green Point, Brooklyn, which was one single room, very poor, no kitchen, no shower. I went down the street to the gym to shower, and that was only fifteen years ago.
Speaker 1: Why is it important for you to let people in on the process?
Speaker 2: You know, when I studied in school, I went to school here in New York at Cooper Union, and I studied painting and sculpture and ideas, but I didn't study at all how to turn those into a career. And during the pandemic, you know, I was having a lot of like younger artists reach out to me, asking like how we were going to make it through this period and what was going to happen on the other side. And it sort of led to this realization that those stories aren't really told that much. Right. People see kind of the end result, but they don't really see the process. And the way that I wrote this book was really by speaking, so I didn't type it or you know, write it out physically. And I think that's part of the reason why I'd read so kind of conversationally. Is I set like a series of topics that I thought would be interesting, and then I just recorded them and kind of edited down from there.
Speaker 1: That's cool to know you just kind of recorded voice notes to yourself. Yeah, I loved reading that your fourth grade teacher, Miss Perry, was one of the first people to tell you that you might be really good at this. In hindsight, what do you think she saw that as a fourth grader you just could never recognize at the time.
Speaker 2: She probably saw like a persistence and an obsessive quality about wanting to be making art, because realistically, like every fourth grader is probably at the same level in making art, and in some ways, like every person is an artist when they're a child, Like we all have drawings that our mothers have kept, you know, from when we were five years old, and at some point we forget how to do that, we forget the interest in that creative aspect of our lives. And I think you recognize that I continue to have this obsessive quality about drawings, about painting, and you know, encourage my parents to let me follow that path.
Speaker 1: I really want to ask you about your parents, because I was laughing reading about how they really wanted something more stable for you. And I was laughing because up until about two years ago, I'm thirty five, my parents they would call me. They live in Chicago, and they would be like, are you sure you don't want to be an executive recruiter? And I had already found like enough success that should not have been a question. But I think parents they just want to know that their kids are okay. Have your parents, in so many words, said that they're proud and they're okay with your path?
Speaker 2: I mean, certainly they are now, and I think they're probably about how far I managed to take it. But my dad was a banker and my mom worked at a university, and so their perspective on me pursuing art was interesting you know, I grew up around culture from them, specifically my mom, But I think that they thought the end result of that would be a job like in graphic design or something that they could imagine could be applied to, you know, trade, and I really just kind of invented the career out of failure and trial and error. And you know, as I said, I didn't have an apartment when I finished school until I was thirty two. I put everything that I had back into the studio, and that was part of the intention. Was if I have to rent my studio and I have to pay for a separate apartment, I'm losing a couple thousand dollars a month that I could then apply to making my work, to traveling for exhibitions, whatever I needed.
Speaker 1: Did you feel like at that moment when you were living out of your studio and you weren't telling people, right, you just hide that part of the studio if you had people come in to visit.
Speaker 2: Actually, people totally knew. I had a loft in the studio and it was like a box almost hanging from the ceiling with a ladder that dropped down out of the bottom of it that I could kind of crawl up into and inside of it. It was probably ninety square feet and I built out the most luxury ninety square feet that I could make, right, So there was a bed in there, there was a television mounted to the wall. I put all this beautiful lighting in there, and it's what I could do. And then I you know, I had a gym membership at the YMCA and green Point, and so I would go there use the shower. That's all I needed.
Speaker 1: Is it hard that people look at your success now and like, don't quite realize what sacrifice it took. Did you have a lot of people willing to support you when you were living in your studio in Greenpoint?
Speaker 2: I got very lucky. But part of the idea is you got to be working when luck is floating around for it to find you. So when I finished college, I wanted nothing more in the world than to show with this French gallery. And the owner's name is Emmanuel Parton, and I had heard that he was going to be in town, and basically through an art collector that I know, managed to get him to come over for a visit. And in the weeks before that, I'm thinking to myself, like, how can I convince this guy who works with some of the most famous artists in the world to give me a show. I'm a nobody, right, nobody's seen my work. I haven't sold anything. I've just finished school. I'm twenty three years old. And I kept repeating, like, how can I show him that I want to exhibit in his gallery? And finally I'm like, I need to show him and exhibit in his gallery. And so I built a full scale replica of his gallery in my studio out of cardboard, like down to every detail, like the radiator, the benches, there was like a flower vase on the desk, and I built it all out of cardboard, and I hung an exhibition of my work in it. And he came over for the visit and as soon as he like walked through the door, you know, he recognized immediately that he was in that space and the question was in the room. I didn't even have to ask him. It was a proposal that he was able to see. And that kind of like crazy idea is something that I've tried to really dig down on, and there's been many instances of things that I've uncovered. You know, somehows you may have to make the crazy move to reach the crazy place you want to be.
Speaker 1: I think that's really inspiring to hear. And it was cool to find out that you recently found out that same guy, Emmanual Parentine, secretly bought every piece in your first show, your first solo show, to show you support. What does it feel like to discover that the foundation of your career was built on this act of love that you didn't even know about.
Speaker 2: So that same show, right, the one that I hung originally in the cardboard space, we mounted that show about a year later in Paris, and this was another one of these moments where I'm relatively unknown, you know. I go to Paris, I do the exhibition, and I wasn't even really thinking about the financial aspect of it at that time. I was just like, this is great. You feel like, oh, I've made it at this point. And the following day I go back to the gallery and one of the women who works there, Peggy, said, great news, the tire show sold.
Speaker 1: Which can you just explain to people who haven't heard of Parentied, like what that is like?
Speaker 2: So Emmanuel Parenton now is one of the most famous galleries in the world. Right, he has basically climbed through the ranks of the art world and now has exhibition spaces all over the world. So the original one in Paris, he's got an exhibition space here in New York that I actually have a show at now, Los Angeles, Tokyo, Hong Kong, Shanghai, London, Los Angeles, like everywhere. And he's worked with some of the most famous artists in the world, Takashi Murakami, Marizio Catalan, and so it was kind of an amazing thing for me to be able to do that exhibition in the first place. I was twenty three years old, kind of unknown, and then to have that exhibition sell out, you know, I was floored. So about twenty years later, I'm preparing for a big museum exhibition and this is like a major deal. It's kind of like a mid career thing for me, where I was invited to create a huge solo exhibition at a museum in California, and then that show traveled, It was in Korea, you know, kind of moved around the world. And as I'm preparing for it, I'm having dinner with Emmanuel and I said, one of the aspects of the exhibition that I want to show is some work from that earliest show that I did with you, which was twenty years ago. So I said, you know, can you ask your staff to help me locate a couple of the pieces, like from the collectors who bought them. And he looks at me and he says, oh, I know where everything is from that show. And I was like, what do you mean you know where everything is? You know? And he says, well, I bought that whole show. And you know, at the moment, it was like so hard to understand. Like clearly at the time he wanted to show me that success and kind of launched me with this feeling of like, oh, I've made it, and also give me some funds that I could use to you know, continue making my work. And you know, that's just kind of like the person that he is. You know, he still had all the work. I borrowed a bunch of it to put in the exhibition. And sometimes you find people who support you without even asking for anything.
Speaker 1: They're like angels. They just come in when you need it most. It's pretty remarkable.
Speaker 2: Well, you got to put that energy out into the world, and we you know, talked about before. It's like talent luck, like all of these kind of floating ideas, like they exist, but they have to find you working.
Speaker 1: Did you see this all, Daniel, like when you were in your bed at night? And that's studio because some people I interview, like Kevin Hart, was like, I had no idea, and I don't know that I.
Speaker 2: Believe him so, not to the degree that it's at right now, but I certainly feel like I kind of manifested things by imagining scenarios. And you know, not all of them are going to come true or not all of them are going to manifest in the way that you know sort of imagine them, But you have to visualize the thing that you want, number one. You have to imagine all of those scenarios and you have to be willing to fail.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's like we can all accept failure, right, It's something that you do, but it's really difficult to accept or regret for not having tried the thing. So I gladly lean into failure.
Speaker 1: Is there a failure that sticks out in your mind? I know you've talked about how like your failures, I almost think of them as pivots the way you write about it, because you don't really consider them failures that you feel like they kind of bleed into other things and turn into other work. Is there one that stuck out in your mind that really hard at the time.
Speaker 2: Well, there's a really funny one which in twenty fifteen. I made a film and I became close with Jane Rosenthal, who was the head of Tribeca Films and the Tribeca Film Festival, so I told her about this idea. She helped me put together some finances for it. I made a film and it premiered at Tribeca Film Festival twenty fifteen, and the film was like, it was okay, but I kind of knew when I finished it, like it's a difficult film, like something easy to watch. It's very conceptual. The storyline was a little bit all over the place, and I got so obsessed with the visual quality of it that a little bit of the storyline got lost. So it was kind of a big deal this premiere. It was like on the Marquee and like they had a whole red carpet for it. I mean, I talk about this in the book, so I'm not really revealing anything. But one of my favorite film directors, Julian Schnabel, was at the film premiere, and the next day a friend of mine told me that he was at the bar after the thing talking to the director of the festival and he literally said, that was the fucking worst thing I've ever seen. And I kind of thought it was funny because I also sort of knew and that he had attended the premiere and paid attention to it. But that was kind of like the nail in the coffin for me of like, Okay, maybe, like film is not my medium. And you know, the other aspect of that is that nobody really remembers the failures, right. It's like, if you failed in the thing, you're probably not going to do it again. And you know, every actor, every musician, like they all have some either terrible role that they did or concert performance that was awful or something like that, and like people don't really remember those things, so it's kind of a license to try out and fail in that way.
Speaker 1: Are you a watch collector by any chance?
Speaker 2: Yep? And I've designed a number of watches as well.
Speaker 1: I know you have. I get the sense that you're obsessed with time. Is that accurate?
Speaker 2: It's like a medium in the work, So the works confuse people about when they were made, about when they exist, about where we are in relation to them, And that's kind of a big part of the overall work in general.
Speaker 1: I mean, even the title of your book, which is an ode to your work, Future Relic says a lot about time, in my opinion, and I think you figured out a way to take this object that everyone recognizes it and make you feel like you're observing its entire lifespan. And I think, unlike Mariah Carey, who doesn't feel like time is real, you almost use it as a material that you work with. Has your work been more about merging time periods, making time stop or making things feel timeless?
Speaker 2: I mean, I try to use materials in a way that they tell a story. So if we think about like what artists usually use for specifically sculpture, right, there's a lot of classical materials, wood and stone, marble, bronze, like these are historical materials. I often work with things that we wouldn't expect to be used for sculpture, volcanic ash, brushed crystal sand, Right, these are things that the material tells a story about the object in addition to the way that it looks, and in that way, the works become very I don't know, they just feel more real, right because the materials are telling a story to us as well.
Speaker 1: Like even your graffiti name as a teenager was when that signifies to me that you understood something about time as a teenager when no one's thinking about time.
Speaker 2: That part of it is like a miraculous coincidence that you know, I was obsessed with that as a teenager, and there's a whole chapter in the book about graffiti and interesting scenarios that I put myself in with that.
Speaker 1: Do you think that it really was a coincidence or do you think that there was something turning in you that manifested later.
Speaker 2: It's hard to say, like how closely was I paying attention to things like that at that time. It's the same way like when I get interviewed about the origin of an idea for a work, it's very hard for me to trace back because every work leads to the next work that leads to the next work, So it's just this thing that's skipping forward, and it's hard to trace back the origin of the original idea.
Speaker 1: What is something that people would be surprised that you spend your time doing or spend your time on.
Speaker 2: I am extremely good at golf, like way better than average.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: Yes, I played when I was a child, but I've spent the last two years like really drilling down and for anyone who knows golf, like, I'm an eight handicap, which is pretty low.
Speaker 1: Did this spike during COVID and then take off or this is post COVID?
Speaker 2: It was actually later than that. I did a big project in Wisconsin at a very famous golf course there, which was a sculptural project placing these large bronze works among the holes at the course. And in preparation for that, I decided, like, you know what, I'm going to take a couple of lessons and like just get my game like slightly in order, because I hadn't played in a decade, right, And so I played a couple of rounds then, and then I started playing more, and then at some point I realized, like I kind of understand this game in a very different way now. I understand it sculpturally. It's about shaping things. And I love golf because it's really a competition against yourself. You're not really playing against anyone necessarily, You're playing against yourself and the designer of the course and the way that the ball moves, the way that you move through the course. There's a lot of artistic ideas within that.
Speaker 1: On the flip side, is there something you think is a complete waste.
Speaker 2: Of time just being on the internet. Probably it's like I hate social media so much.
Speaker 1: Wait what, Daniel, You're big on social.
Speaker 2: I mean I have to be, because I think it's a great way for me to communicate. So I like it in that way. I guess I hate it as a consumer. You know, you get on Instagram or TikTok and you just look at it and then like you know, thirty minutes go by and you're like, what the fuck am I doing? Like what did I just look at? But as an artist, I think it really has changed a lot because it allows me to have direct relationship with people that are interested in my work globally. Two days ago, I was in Macau in China unveiling a huge new work and you know, there's thousands of people that show up to this that I've never met, that I've never shown my work in Macau before, that know my work, that knows basically everything about my practice, and it's because of social media.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, for someone who likes to share process, you do that well on social It's a cool place to do that. Do you always run on time?
Speaker 2: Yes, usually early.
Speaker 1: I know that you said that you love painting because it conveys a sense of endlessness. Why does that endlessness and time feel so central to your work.
Speaker 2: I mean, my paintings look like a realistic setting often, but they depict things that are otherworldly, and so it allows me to create scenarios that I might never be able to achieve in real life. I studied painting in school, and that was kind of the first real part of my practice. Like when I did that show with Emmanuel there was I think fifteen works in that show, and the vast majority of them were paintings. Over the decade that followed, I just became so much more interested in sculpture that I literally stopped painting for probably close to ten years. I always made drawings and things like that, but it wasn't really until Pandemic that I went back to painting. You know, everything was closed in New York. I couldn't go to the studio, and so I ordered some paint and started painting in my office here and kind of went back to that universe.
Speaker 1: It also looked like you were working on your Japanese gardens. There was a lot of rakings. I was doing that as well, I can tell you. I think that one of the reasons I'm so interested in your work is you hold these two opposite truths at one time. And I actually think that's what my podcast or my questions try to do. I love the nuance, I love the gray area, and you both preserve and erode, and I'm I'm so curious when you are looking at a piece, any object, how do you decide what deserves to be preserved and what you are going to erode?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the works imagine something like a historical piece of sculpture, right, a bust of a face. The works have these erosions on them, but the erosions are often made of a material like crystal, which is a material that we associate with growth, right, like something crystallizing and forming. So the works function in opposing directions. They look like they're falling apart, they look crumbling, right, they are pieces broken off of them, But those areas also look like they're growing. So the work could be falling apart or it could be growing together and that kind of like sliding of a dial, of something falling apart growing back together. Is this sort of trope that I've used a lot in my work over the years.
Speaker 1: And do you just decide where the erosion comes in by the actual image of what you're looking at or does it have a deeper meaning?
Speaker 2: So some of it is accidental because I can't entirely control what the erosion is going to look like in the process. Those works are created inside of a mold, and I cannot see inside of the mold while I'm doing the work, so I have to pick the general area that I want the erosion. Yeah, it's basically a crapshoot the way that it comes out in the end. Sometimes there's too much and I have to remake it. And those are like the little failures that happen every day in the studio.
Speaker 1: That's cool. I have a question for you about taste. I saw this video speaking of the Internet. It's a video of a girl saying that if you feel like you don't have good taste, don't worry, you just actually haven't experienced enough things. That taste is sort of this combination of the things that your eyes have seen. So if you maybe had like a fashionable mom or father or grandfather or something, you're probably gonna have better taste because you've been around it. What do you think, do you feel like your taste has grown or have you always had this very precise idea of what you like?
Speaker 2: I mean, certainly my tastes, you know, shift I've traveled an unbelievable amount, Like when I got my two million mile thing from Delta, I was like, please take it back. I can't believe I've been on the plane that much. It's ridiculous. But spending so much time in different cultures, you know, I've spent a huge amount of time in Japan, which has influenced a lot of the way that I think about architecture and experience and nature and I mean just living life generally. And so I think I agree with that your acquire taste through Yeah, you're discerning palette, Like you've seen so many things, and you kind of understand what you like what you don't like. You'll clearly have more options, right when you've seen all these different possibilities.
Speaker 1: How do you think that art becomes timeless? Like when I think of obviously the mona Lisa or Starry Nights, Like, how is that aimed something great and timeless in the art world. What do you think makes something timeless?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, I think it's impossible to set out as an artist to make something like that. You have to invest as much as you can in the actual object. And I talk a little bit about this in the book, that there's this kind of snowballing effect that happens as an artist where you have an idea and it starts rolling down the hill like in those old cartoons and gathering mass. And in the beginning, it feels so difficult to achieve anything as a creative or as an entrepreneur. Right, you have all these obstacles against you. But the more that you make, it's almost like you have this gravity of like mass of the things that you create. And eventually you've made so many things it's kind of undeniable, like that you are this force in the world. So it just makes those things you know so much easier.
Speaker 1: See I'm interested to hear that because when I look at your work, especially the collaborations you do, it seems to me like you're not thinking in news cycles or quick moments. I mean, I guess maybe the timeless relics speak to this, but like you're almost thinking in centuries instead, Is that true.
Speaker 2: I try to make work that does float in time a little bit. So you'll notice in my paintings, if there's figures, they're often in silhouette, like we can't tell what they look like, we can't tell how their hair is cut, so they feel like they could be a thousand years in the past or a thousand years in the future. Early on the paintings, you know, from twenty years ago. I never included figures at all because I thought it would link it to a specific time period. But I try to make work that in that way, we could say it's timeless because it's not linked to a particular moment in time.
Speaker 1: The first time I saw your work, it was the clock, the moving clock, the moving clock. Yeah, thank you. I didn't know how to describe it. And then I saw you do the poker set. And I'm a big poker player because my dad taught me, and we go on a trip together once year, and every time we go on a trip, we play poker, and I find myself learning a life lesson every time I play poker from him. And I don't go in thinking I'm going to learn something. I know that you play. Have you learned about life and when to take a bet and when to bet on yourself at all from the game or do you feel like I'm looking too deep into it.
Speaker 2: I mean, one of the interesting things is I did that poker event with World Series of Poker, which was actually a charity event that we did for Cooper Union. But generally I don't gamble at all. Like I go to Vegas for work all the time. I was just in Macau, and I like to watch other people gamble, but I feel like betting the only way you could say that I gamble is on myself. In things that I do in my life. I take big risks with my work and with you know, investing in my work. But poker I like because you're not really playing against the house, right, You're playing against other people, and so it's oftentimes about manipulation, and that part about it. There's some life lessons in that.
Speaker 1: That's funny, Daniel. I never thought about that. I really enjoy when you talk about inspiration because you said what you were younger, it was more about proximity, and you know, you're a professional artist. You go to work every single day that it's not really this lightning in a bottle the way people would think it would be foreign artist. It's not effortless, it's not mystical. Do you think that people romanticize creativity because it's easier than respecting it as a discipline.
Speaker 2: It's like when people say like, oh, you're so talented, and I'm like, no, it took me thirty years to learn how to do that. To give like a physical example, it would be like talent exists as this little ball inside of a huge rock that you literally have to chisel away at for thirty years to get there. And sometimes you know you're chiseling on the rock and then it falls on you. It's like that much of an effort. And I think people romanticize it because oftentimes in history we talk about these creative geniuses like Mozart or Da Vinci, their talent or that lightning was actually just an obsessive quality that they had to learn the thing that they wanted to do. So talent or you talk about that lightning, it's really just being obsessed with the thing that you're trying to create.
Speaker 1: Are you a therapy person? Have you looked into where that obsession comes from for you?
Speaker 2: No, I mean it's a quality that repeats itself in multiple areas of my life. Like I talked about the golf thing, like, I've basically set my life up now where when I'm not in the city, I'm playing golf every single day, and i play the first tea time of the morning and I'm done at nine thirty and then I'm at the studio. You know, I was talking to my caddie a couple of weeks ago and I was like, oh, you know, I've played like five hundred rounds in the last two and a half years, and I'm like, I really should be better that I am by now, and he goes, You've played more golf in the last two years than most people play in their entire life terms of the number of rounds. And so I think that obsessive quality just applies to many different areas of things. I've become interested in something, I want to understand it and basically do it to the most possible excellent way that I can do it.
Speaker 1: I'm a sucker for a book dedication, And I really like your opening line you said, I make most of the things I make for the simple reason that I wish they existed. What did you feel like was missing that you wanted to create?
Speaker 2: I mean, this is one of the magical things about being an artist is you know, when you make that thing, that's the only one of those that exists in the world at that moment, and if you're very good at it, you can make these things that other people invest in not only with their money, right that they're collecting or buying work, but that they invest in emotionally, they invest in conceptually, and that they think about over long periods of time. So there are works that I've made which I know will ex exists in one hundred years, and the reason I know that is because they're made of materials that are very difficult to destroy, like bronze. So yeah, you have this magical possibility to create things with your hands. And as the world leans more and more into artificial intelligence and all of these kind of digital aspects of our life, I'm actually seeing this inverse quality where people are actually paying so much more attention to things that they know were made by hand. So people are interested in theater, people are interested in handcrafted clothing and objects, and like anything that you know, literally was physically made by a person. I think now and in the future is going to have so much more value.
Speaker 1: There's a luxury quality to it now more so, I would agree. You kind of strike me as somebody that's winning the imagination game. As a dad, I've seen these videos online like dads will create these insane pancakes for their kids and then the joke is who's eating them? What's one way that you like creating one for your kids.
Speaker 2: I mean, I've done so many like art projects with them. They are in some ways very different from me in that they're both obsessed with soccer, like to a level that you know, you talk about my obsession with art. My little son he fractured his ankle and I was talking to him last night, how's it feeling, Like, does it hurt whatever? And He's like, I don't care, I'm just mad that I can't play. And it's like that level. Their obsession with soccer is akin to my obsession with art when I was the same age.
Speaker 1: Has fatherhood changed the way that you imagine or create it all?
Speaker 2: Well, it gets you to relive a lot of that curiosity and you kind of resee it through their experience of it. You know, I love taking them to museums and seeing exhibitions. They misrecognize things, you know, they kind of understand them in this very innocent way that it's hard for us to go back to that sense, and so that's a beautiful experience to have with them.
Speaker 1: I think that so many of our lives can be broken down into these series of moments, some are memorable, some forgettable, some transformative, And you write your book like your memories have this domino effect. One thing leads into another. You even mentioned that in your work when you were talking about failure throughout the writing process, which moments sculpted you the most.
Speaker 2: So, you know, as I talked about the way that I wrote this book was through speaking, and I think that's part of the reason why the book reads so conversationally, is I literally just set aside a number of topics that I wanted to hit and then started recording those which were transcribed, and then I edited from there. And it was actually a friend of mine who's writer. When I had finished the book, it was entirely chronological like I wrote it, like I imagine any sort of you know, memoir would be written, and he read it and he kind of was like, listen, like there's a lot of good stuff in there, but it's really boring to read it, Like I did this and then I did that. The book really now, I think think it focuses on failure as a way of actually achieving things right, like building a bank of failures, and it really dives into this idea of mentorship and thinking about like what are the things that are going to carry me through to the next iteration of my life and my work. So I would say the book is more written now like for kind of any creative entrepreneur. It's not really just visual artists, right, could be somebody like you who's you know, in podcasting, could be an actor, or just you know, a regular entrepreneur that's figuring out, you know, how to build a career or build something successful.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. I think entrepreneurship in general is a creative space because you have to think outside the box no matter what lane you're in. I like that you consider yourself a student of life. What have you been devouring lately aside from golf?
Speaker 2: And I've been traveling so much lately for this book tour. It's a lot of work.
Speaker 1: What's it been like for people to ask you all these invasive questions.
Speaker 2: It's definitely a new experience. Yeah, I mean I knew that when I was writing this book that I was kind of putting some of my personal life out there, right, Like, these are the ways that I think. And some artists make work that's really just about themselves and about the experience of them making it, and some kind of like Catharsis of doing that, and then other artists make the work to kind of have a dialogue with people. And I think my work leans into the second. It's like, this is a conversation that we're having, and the book kind of adds to that understanding. People only see me in the state that I'm in currently. I'm successful. I've built this whole career. I built a visual language that people know and understand, but they didn't see like all of those failures and the difficulties that went into that. So it's revealing a little bit of that, and somebody else who's going through that currently will be like, oh, well, I'm there.
Speaker 1: When did it get easier? Like you talk about that guy that was living in his studio. I know it's still hard.
Speaker 2: It never gets easier. I was complaining yesterday to Jacqueline because I was in Los Angeles on Sunday. Then I flew to China on Sunday night. I was there for thirty six hours, and I came back here and then I'm like literally on TV this morning and I was like, this is driving me crazy, like I put myself through so much. And she goes, well, number one, you set yourself up for that, like you chose to do these things. And number two, like have some gratitude that you literally just went across the world to exhibit this massive, you know, twenty five foot tall sculpture that thousands of people came to the opening for and so you know, it's a lot of that perspective. It's like I created all of these scenarios for myself.
Speaker 1: These collaborations you do, I've always wondered how you figure this out because you've collaborated. I'm just going to name a few, but there are so many more brands. There's Pokemon, Tiffany's Porsche. You've done so many collaborations and yet they don't dilute your brand, and you also reveal something new about yourself as an artist through these collaborations, but I never feel like it's sucking the blood from who you are. And I know, working with brands it's not easy to do because there are some stipulations, especially when it's a big collab.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is something that I go into in detail in the book, But the overwhelming feeling for me is that I've always worked with brands where I felt some connection either to the brand in the first place. So that's something like Porsche was, like I was obsessed with those cars when I was sixteen, and dere where I knew Kim Jones, who was the designer at the time, like I knew him as a friend, and so I knew that I was not going to have to deal with some of the difficulties of having a brand tell me what to do. And I can say that I've fortunately reached a point in my career where I can relatively say, guys, this is the limit of what I'm going to do. We are in some ways like the same right, We're on the same level, so they typically won't ask me to do the types of things that would become challenging.
Speaker 1: But when you were coming up, they must have.
Speaker 2: Honestly, the first major project that I did was with Adidas and this was twenty thirteen, and they came to me and asked me to propose a project, which I did, which was this, you know, series of three different sneaker silhouettes. And so there wasn't a lot of like, we want you to do this thing because I had already told them what I wanted to do. And this is another thing I talked about in the book. I've worked with the same attorney for the last twenty years. And if you're clear out of the gate about what you are willing and not willing to do, and you're willing to walk away which I've had to do on numerous instances and leave significant finances on the table, at some point people kind of understand and you have precedent to say like, well, Deorden asked me to do that. Tiffany didn't ask me to do that. Ramoa goes on like I achieved all of these things within this framework. It's how I work and that's the way that we need to work together.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have some rapid fire questions for you, Daniel, and then I promise you could go to bed. You're done with me. What is your favorite brand?
Speaker 2: Of watch well cublow because I designed.
Speaker 1: It outside of creating. What's the number one way you lose track of time?
Speaker 2: Golf?
Speaker 1: The most underrated material that you make art with.
Speaker 2: The most underrated material probably just a pencil and paper.
Speaker 1: The number one way you feel inspired every day travel, probably besides your actual art. What is the most artistic thing about you?
Speaker 2: Probably the gardens at my house.
Speaker 1: Who is a lesser known artist that you want to call out?
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know if I would say lesser known artist because he's quite well known. But the first person I came to mind is Samuel Ross.
Speaker 1: The pop culture category behind your next creation, it's.
Speaker 2: Not really a pop culture category. Ancient Greece. Cool?
Speaker 1: Do you get to go live in Greece to create it?
Speaker 2: No, don't have time for that.
Speaker 1: And what's the last thing you took a picture of?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's the sculpture that I just unveiled in Macau.
Speaker 1: The art piece you want to be known.
Speaker 2: For probably one of the large bronze works that I've installed outdoors.
Speaker 1: This song that makes you want to create.
Speaker 2: Maybe like something by giv On. I love giving On.
Speaker 1: I love that answer. The artist, actor, athlete that you'd.
Speaker 2: Love to collab with probably Lebron James.
Speaker 1: The identity of Banksy.
Speaker 2: Is Damien Hurst.
Speaker 1: My last question is out of this card game because we're virtual. Just tell me when to stop.
Speaker 2: Okay stop?
Speaker 1: Oh, this is funny. Which personality trait has gotten you in the most trouble?
Speaker 2: Like OCD and Daniel?
Speaker 1: What is something that every person should try once?
Speaker 2: Rally car driving?
Speaker 1: Unexpected? Answered? I love it, Daniel. I usually don't say this to people because I think it's a little trite, but I'm going to say it to you. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 2: My pleasure. Thank you.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know what time it is. Today's a good day, to have a good day. I'll see you next week.