Speaker 1: Warning.
Speaker 2: This episode contains the spoilers for the seventh episode of X Men ninety seven Season two.
Speaker 1: Be warned, Be warned.
Speaker 2: Hello, my name is Jason Sepsion and on Merseay Night, and welcome back to x Revision of that podcast where we dive deep into your favorite shows, movies, comics, and pop culture. Coming you from ir where we're bringing you three episode of a.
Speaker 1: Week most news on Saturday, past news.
Speaker 3: In today's episode, it is X Men ninety seven, Episode seven. And guess what, guys, we were waiting for it because guess what it's called.
Speaker 1: It's called Strange Land Savage Hawk. I wonder where we could be going. But first we.
Speaker 2: Open on a flashback to Genosha. We see Colossus and Magic U the best.
Speaker 1: Every time I see her, I'm so happy. It just makes me so excited.
Speaker 2: We see Colossus and Magic fighting against the Sentinel invasion Iliana. It goes down courageously saving some mutants, but unfortunately he's killed by Sentinels. We'll talk about this a little bit more in the conversation, but this is so we're not doing Legacy Virus because she dies. I was gonna say this plotline happens in the comics, but it is spurred on by Iliana's death by the Legacy virus. So we cut to the President. The President. We cut to the President where Graydon Creed, son of Victor Creed, a savor to what, a brother of Nikerawler, bouncing and a human, absolutely a human. He might have the recessive ex gene in there somewhere, but.
Speaker 1: I never got set off and not it.
Speaker 2: Never got set off. He is just a guy, a very angry guy. He's announcing his can to receive the President of the United States, and he's running on a very very strict anti mutant platform. But the rally is attacked by the acolytes, very cool evil costumes. And these acolytes are mutants who follow there what they perceive as the teachings and inspiration of Magneto. And they are led by Exodus, the mutant dove Juppyopa Jason. Many people will fight you down when you see Magneto light so crazy. Exodus is joined by Colossus, who has been who's furious and rightly so at the yes at the genocidal attack by the by the Revamp Sentinels that wiped out Genosha and killed his Sister Exodus movement of Your People demands that all mutants detained by X Factor fee free them, Freedom, free them, Free his people. Professor Xavier, CEO of X Corp, talks with Val Cooper, who's trying to get approval to activate X Factor, but Exavier already knows what, you know. He's like just he's like, don't worry, I know where the Acolyte base is. I'm gonna take care of it. You're not sending your mutant attack dogs, you know, your government attack dogs on it. He sends a team. It's Beast, Polaris, Rogue, Nightcrawler and Bishop and the ex Jet and they go to the Savage Landes have set up. I love it. So immediately the X Men are hit with an energy field that strips them of their mutant powers. Crazy powerless. They just like are just getting They're just getting rolled.
Speaker 3: And also, yeah, we went talking about him lost episode that is very similar to something mister Sinistha has in the.
Speaker 1: Comics, you know, So that was very exciting.
Speaker 2: Very sinister coded. The jet goes down, Bishop flies out, Lorna jumps out, rescues him, and the X Men are separated of Lorna and Bishop land somewhere separate from wherever the X Men have landed after the jet crashed, and Bishop realizes that there is this tower. So crazy, there's a tower that's broadcasting this inhibitor signal. But because of Bishop's mutant power to absorb energy, he is acting like as a battery cell that is absorbing this inhibitor tower energy, like the mutant powers that are being suppressed or being somehow rerooted to him, and so like this vast reservoir of energy is building up in him and he is very close to not being able to control it anymore, which I think I certainly, and I'm sure you did as well. This as a metaphor for like his massive orgasmicing like he's so crazy, I can't hold God, go don't touch me like that, this was crazy, I would.
Speaker 1: Crack it up. You still got that freaky ship in there, I know you.
Speaker 2: The Colossus and the Acolytes rescue the X Men, and you know they they deal with them as like mutant to mutant, but you know this isn't the pure mutant terrorism of the early Magneto days. But they're also like, no creed is a creed is a criminal against me and we'm night Crawler convinces Colossus too. It's like, hey, we'll let us see your base.
Speaker 1: It's the European accents.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe you know, maybe I see it, and I am convinced, and I'm going to show up.
Speaker 1: And listen.
Speaker 2: If you convince me, Zim moves open hearted and faithful of all the X Men, then imagine how that will seem to the rest of you can kind and to the public. So the acolytes are like, okay. They go in there and we learn that it's like a mini Genoshit in the Rizland jungle. Varilites are providing shelter to mutants. There they honor all fallen mutants, like Magneto, like Magic, and Colossus obviously has found a purpose there. Nightcrawler then springs his rhetorical trap. He says, where I request a trial for grad and Creed po they my brother, Yes, he is my brother. We are both the children of Mystique, and say what he is? Say what tooth is his father's sable to the Mystique, which must have been the freakiest, craziest sex ever ever ever, And so therefore he is my half brother, and I request the trial for him and for them all, I request that Colossus preside over the trial, and if you win Exodus, I will join the Acolytes happily as a mutant terrorist or whatever you call it. Let's take a quick break and we'll be right back at the trial. Exodus. Mutant of your People argues that you know, Creed is a remorseless anti mutant bigot whose you know rhetoric is directly a threat to mutant kind everywhere. Yeah, night Crawler flips it and focuses on Creed's parentage and the fact that we talked about bad parents.
Speaker 1: Serious, We've been talking about them a lot this season.
Speaker 2: But again, this is an episode that frames Charles's ideology as like, listen, it's imperfect and it's naive, but it's also got some strengths, and hear it highlights the strengths by contrasting it negatively with the mutants supremacy ideology. So Mistike and Sabertooth, yeah, basically abandoned Creed when his mutant powers didn't come out. He turns thirteen. Now, sometimes you need like some sort of shock or some sort of like heightened emotional state or something very terrible to happen to force them to come out. I don't know if they tried doing stuff like that, which is.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say, did they I would not put it pass it.
Speaker 3: If they kind of tormented them, that would be a really interesting kind of backstory.
Speaker 1: Actually I would not put it.
Speaker 2: Sabertooth to torment his child to try and get the power to come out, but but it didn't happen, and they and they abandoned him. And so Nightcrawler is arguing that he is a product. His hatred is not purely a genocideal anti mutant hatred. He hates his parents for abandoning him as a child and leaving him, you know, vulnerable to the world. Exodus says, movement of mutant of the people says.
Speaker 1: Shut the up and tell me who want to try?
Speaker 2: Yea Colossus, what do you think? But because Colossus that's soft, that big, soft hearted rush shit that he is, he is hesitating. Exodus realizes and probably read his mind, Like, let's face it, we shouldn't mention that Exodus is a Omega level mutant that has like telepith, the telekinesis. I believe, like, oh my god, remember he can like drain like mutant essence like see.
Speaker 3: He's he's a crazy power, like he's another person who was mistaken for like a pharaoh throughout history because he's so powerful, you know, he's like like es.
Speaker 2: So he probably read Colossus his mind realizes that he was going to go against him and attack. He just like attacks Classus. There's a big fight. But before Exodus can really unleash against everybody on all the heretics, the Inhibitor tower explodes, have.
Speaker 3: Blown it up, Jason, I think they definitely had sex to blow out.
Speaker 1: I think they did.
Speaker 3: I was just like, I was like that powers, you know, they work really well together. They've already been playing on that, I think. But I think they fucked to blow up.
Speaker 1: How good for them.
Speaker 2: They're flying on the back of pterodactyls and they fly in Brawler and Exodus then have a duel. I have a sword duel, which is an errow flint sor er which is Exodus is making a huge mistake because this is you're playing exactly into Nightcrawler strengths with this.
Speaker 1: Are you crazy?
Speaker 2: This motherfucker looks like a pirate, like he's gonna beat you, Like, come on, night Crawler outsmarts. Exodus does the thing where he has one sword in the hand and one sword in the tail, which is fucking incredible. Exodus refuses to yield, and then suddenly a shot rings out and we realize that Creed has shot Exodus in the back with some gun that was just like laying around. He grabs Nightcrawler and it's like, cut us out of here. BRO means a safe telepartment of safety, my brother. Nightcrawler teleports him outside into the freezing Artist and basically is like, you are truly the the terrible ruthlessness of appearance has truly gone to you and just leaves him there to freeze, crazy crazy and I love it it was, but like it was very Nightcrawler does almost he chokes him a little bit with the tail, but I mean, you always knew that night Crawler was not going to do it, but he should have done it at that shot. You shouldn't. He should have done it. Night Crawl and Colossus returned to the X Mansion. Colossus reveals and I believe he's lying. He says, like, no, you didn't convince me by my friend, I would have, but you would have given Celia.
Speaker 3: Oh sure, bit no nonsense, absolutely non sense she would have another bit.
Speaker 1: That's also the.
Speaker 3: Fact that Colossus goes back to the mansion.
Speaker 1: He convinced him. But what Mattison, he thinks he convinced Eliana.
Speaker 2: I think this is a little bit. This is a little bit. This is kind of comics accurate in the sense that, like Colossus thought that I was like a better person than she was.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 2: He always saw her, he always saw her as like this innocent his younger sister, who is so innocent. This bitch was like the queen of a hell.
Speaker 1: I was gonna say for a long time.
Speaker 2: She would have absolutely decapitated Braden Creed make no mistake whatever. At that point, Cable and X force parachute into the temple and assens where they got the where they've tracked the apocalypse signal. They go in there. It's all dark and it's like this weird laboratory. They go in there and they find Dune Dundune Apocalypse dead. He's dead. He's like laying on a dentist's chair and he's like drained of all his essence.
Speaker 1: He's dead. He's yeah.
Speaker 2: And Jubilie is like, oh my god, look at this, and she picks up a playing card and that can only mean one thing, folks, is damnit y'all.
Speaker 1: Gambit endings in a row.
Speaker 3: They knew that the people loved Gambit after last season, so funny, let's.
Speaker 2: Think of a break on back to discuss this episode. Yeah, and we are back. Okay. I love this episode. Seems some of the same issues in terms of the speed with which we are moving past stuff, but this was This was a fun one and I love the introduction of the acolytes.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say I think that out of the three Bottle episodes, because this is a third bottle episode, I think you could arguably say which Again, I want to say, guys, we've talked about this before. It wouldn't have technically been a bottle episode in a twenty three episode season. It would have just been an adventure of the week, and this is an adventure part of the ongoing adventure. But we're getting so few that these really do feel like specific bottle episodes as we live in a prestige TV time and these are being released weekly.
Speaker 1: Saying that, I think.
Speaker 3: This is the one that works the best, just as like our by itself fun adventure. Also, I mean This is truly like targeted at us because we've been begging to see the Savage Land again. We got those moments with Rogan Magneto in season one, So yeah, I just thought this was amazing.
Speaker 1: Jason.
Speaker 3: Also, when's the last time that we really got like a very night Crawler forward story, Like, wasn't it great to have him.
Speaker 2: Since season one? Yeah? I love him. He's always been the conscience of the X Men, Like even he is more he is more dedicated to the Charles vision than Charles's, Like he is the one.
Speaker 1: The actual living it. It's tim and he is.
Speaker 2: The one who lives it like Charles is just kind of like, yes, I believe in this philosophy, but secretly I'm doing edgy, shadowy shit behind the scenes, you know, exactly every fucking time, right, But night Crawler is the one who's like walks it like he talked.
Speaker 1: He's an idealist.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's you know, in a very religious man as we all know, like very very Catholic guy. Yeah, And so I loved him as I loved him this episode we get meet too fright with Swords, and you know, his relationship with Colossus is always great, always great.
Speaker 3: Well, let's let's talk a little bit about that if people, because Colossus is not magic too, neither of them are hugely famous. I'd say Colossus is slightly more famous post Deadpool to the average audience. But getting to see them is really huge because that for us, especially like Colossus, that is part of the big thing that we always talk about that was so revolutionary for the X Men, which is giant sized X Men number one. He was this Russian mutant, this international new character created by Lemwin and Dave Cochrum are legends and like to see him kind of here so sent a stage and to be playing on a very emotional story arc.
Speaker 1: For him, it was really cool for me.
Speaker 3: Jason, you mentioned this in the recap that we're not doing Legacy Virus, which I think is the correct choice. But do you want to give like a TLDR and probably why we're not doing it and kind of what they changed here.
Speaker 2: Well, it's the legacy virus first of all, was a clear metaphor for AIDS.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's the real reason we're not doing it.
Speaker 3: Is like the nuance is just too hard to do, it's too analogous.
Speaker 1: It was not particular.
Speaker 3: It was done by some thoughtful people and some not thoughtful people throughout history. I think it's a smart choice for them to switch that for Genosha.
Speaker 2: Yes, so in the comics, Magic Magic dies of the legacy virus in a very like slow and public and agonizing way. And it is but it is her death that ultimately drives Colossus into the arms of the Acolytes kind of just as he just as he does here and just as happens here classes with the cool like evil costume. Yeah, big shoulder, sharp shoulder pads, becomes like the conscience of the Acolytes. Like he's exactly He's never a true villain like Exodus, mutant of people and the rest of them. So he really is constantly like he's doing trying to like pull them towards the light. And he later does sabotage some of their very important plan.
Speaker 3: And obviously, as you got just from Jason's tld are there, there is a lot here that they do not cover, even in the transition to this being about Colossus after her death on Genosha, they still didn't give us a lot of time here with this relationship with the Acolytes. But I did think it was really fun to see magic. We talk about her a lot. She's one of our favorite characters. She was also another character first debuted in Giant Size X Men number one, such an important comic for us back in seventy five.
Speaker 1: She was just a child, a little baby.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's really nothing like he saves her from being run over by a wheat harvester.
Speaker 3: It's what you would say, I would say, like retroactively, you would say, that's like, you know, but when she appears as magic magic, you know, which isn't for years later on until like nineteen eighty three.
Speaker 1: That what is it about this character that we love so much? Jason? Why is magic so fucking cool? Like? How does it work?
Speaker 2: Her original mutant power is to teleport, so she can tell she can create these teleportation discs and go back and forth from places. And she was like a very I mean she's she joined the New Mutants, like she was at the school at age eleven or twelve orteen, Like she's very, very young, and so she's got this like very you know, with the sharp blonde bangs, this almost like angelic like look to her. But yeah, her teleportation power, the way it works is you don't just it's not like it's kind of like Nightcrawlers in that she goes to a separate dimension and the dimension is how she shortcuts to wherever she fears back when she teleports back into this dimension. But the dimension teleports through.
Speaker 1: Is like a it's called Limbo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's called Limbo, and it's a hell world populated by demons, where her main like lieutenant is this like purple demon. Yeah, who smokes a cigar, who becomes like over time like her coworker, her best friend, her rival, and she has been through various periods like trapped in this hell dimension, and so she is just like a very She's this character of like insane contrasts where she is incredibly loyal to her friends, a hero through and through, but also like has a dark side and has struggled with like this pull of the of Limbo, and it's just really cool, Like she just looks fucking cool.
Speaker 1: She's got a huge sword, she's got bad ass, fucking berzerka. So no, I totally agree with you, Jason.
Speaker 3: There's something about the contrast of you know, the small girl who is also very dangerous. You know, we've always that's a fun trope throughout history.
Speaker 1: I love her. I think she's so bad ass. I love her connection to Colossus.
Speaker 3: I actually also really enjoy when they take essentially like a character who's just been a background character for years and then go, actually, this character is really important. That's not just Colossus's little sister. Now she's Illiana and she's got this power, and before you know it, you'll be reading you Know, Magic, which was her series where they kind of revealed her life in limbo. And this is not obviously a visual medium, guys, but I do beg anyone who is listening to this when you can safely look up the cover for Magic issue for I own that issue and it is.
Speaker 1: On my wall.
Speaker 3: It's her kind of sitting cross legged above a giant pentagram with a sword in the air and her hair is swirling around. I still think about getting it tattooed on me, like regularly. It's one of the coolest covers and I feel like it sums up everything. I don't know who did four. It's such an iconic cover, but this it was for the Storm and Iliana series, so it was slightly it was a slightly less well known series, and I can't I'm looking at my cover.
Speaker 1: I can't see the Oh, let's see.
Speaker 3: Okay, So it was actually a Brett Blevins and Tom Palmer cover if I look close enough. Yeah, it is a crazy cool cover, and I think for me it sums up exactly why she's so cool. But I'm glad you mentioned Sinkovic I sink Kevitch, because I actually also do think that a big thing we have to touch on about why Magic is so popular is that new Mutant's run. Right, It's that version of her where she is allowed to embrace the darkness and be traumatized and be vulnerable but be herself.
Speaker 1: It's just such a wonderful character.
Speaker 2: And now, yeah, we should mention that. So Magic was dead for like fifteen years in the comic long time. Yeah, maybe less than that, like twelve years whatever. She comes back because in the House in House of m when Scarlet, which creates this alternate to mention like Warp's reality to create a world in which Mutant's rule, Eleana is brought back and Blasco, her purple demon buddy, senses that she's been brought senses that she exists again and is like, oh my god, my boss is back. I've got to find her and so then later and I forget exactly the mechanics, he resurrects her using some magic shit ye and brings her back. So I so, I wonder if it says to feel like we have to do a House of M things somehow.
Speaker 3: Season three House of M is kind of it's that's kind of what it's feeling like.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously we can have ungryble, but I think that we.
Speaker 2: Could season season four.
Speaker 1: CROCOA, Yeah, that's basically what I think.
Speaker 3: I think Season three will deal with on Slough and House of M and then season four will be Cricola.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jason lost.
Speaker 3: Question as we head into the last few episodes, will sparing Grade and Creed help or hunt the relationship between humans and mutants?
Speaker 1: Is it going to come back to bite night? Crola, Yeah, I mean I'll.
Speaker 2: Come, it'll come back, because he's gonna say, those mutant scum they kill me. I barely escape with my life for they love me to die and let's go my disgusting But he'd never truly admit that like his brother, but he would disgusting mutant muty scum. They try to kill me and they want to kill you. They want to kill you like they tried to kill me, and so I think it will backfire. I think it will cause even more heightened anti mutant feeling, which I if we're doing CROCOA, I think we will eventually get like some version of Orcus where the humans, Yeah, the humans all get together and are like, we need to like raise our fucking game and have like the smartest like anti mutant minds working on a like a project to really bring them down. So I think that.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Actually, I think that's where we're going eventually, is like the post Striker kind of like maniac anti human anti mutant mm hmm. It's extremists to the more measured, like scientific technocratic.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that would actually be a really terrifying kind of analogue for everything going on right now to this kind of Also, it does the idea of Charles starting X Corps does introduce the possibility for an anti mutant corporation to be introduced to kind of take them on.
Speaker 1: To Oh wow, this one I have to do?
Speaker 2: Did we kill do we kill exodus people? Too soon?
Speaker 3: I mean not in the case of this podcast, because then you can't say anymore so that's good.
Speaker 2: What's funny is like they mention it. They they're like, I think I forget exactly what they say. They call him a templar or something. Yeah, and it's such a like throwa.
Speaker 1: Right, this is not so.
Speaker 2: Give us an Exodus was like a twelfth century templar crusader who went to Egypt where he encountered apocalypse and apocalypse like awakened. He was a mutant, but like Apocalypse, sensed it and like awakened his mutant power and at least in the comics like Exodus, mutant of ja people has as we mentioned, like omega level powers.
Speaker 1: He can do.
Speaker 2: He can move stuff with his mind, he can invade minds like you know, telepathy, he can teleport, he can create force fields, there's the psychic vampirism thing. And then I think he could resurrect, but but I'm not sure. Anyway, he was just like tremendously powerful, and he is as you would imagine because he is a twelfth century anti Muslim crusader, like he has very very extreme quasi religious views about stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was he was created by Scott Lobdell as well, So you know that's always it's always a dangerous game. And Joey Q though jokesata who we do love Jason. I'm I'm glad you brought this up, actually because my first thought when I was thinking about this, because this is like the John Rema Junior versions of Exodus are some of the coolest character design shit I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Like, and also I love all the weird.
Speaker 3: Shit where it's like he's friends with Black Knight and shit like that.
Speaker 2: I love that because he knew him from the twelfth fucking century.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I love that shit. But so I was wondering, like why do you kill him off? I actually also think this could be a power scaling issue, which.
Speaker 1: I think is a problem the show.
Speaker 3: I think he's too powerful, Like I think you kill him off in a shocking kind of humanistic way to kind of cut it down because the reality is like he is going to be too powerful against an apocalypse, like he could actually help. Also, let's let's I'm gonna ask you another one because this is getting me going because Aboo did bring this up with Morph that is a power scaling issue in this show, which is like how do Morph's powers work?
Speaker 1: Could he just be apocalypse could he just be outsidus?
Speaker 2: More so, as I understand it, morph morph can take on So if there are heroes or mutants who have purely physical based, like strength based powers like the Thing or Puppy both of these, right yeah, or Colossus, right, so he can he can take on those powers and reorient his cells to do that and grow new cells that will create that you know, that will mimic that power. But it takes a to do that. Is takes only do it for a period of time, and it is very very tiring and taxing, Like he can't just keep doing that like indefinitely. Yeah too, he right, he can't mimic like energy powers, like he couldn't become Scott and then shoot optic grades.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he couldn't.
Speaker 3: That's that's the thing, right, So he can't replicate powers that aren't just about like.
Speaker 1: The density or his own body right right? Okay, so that does make sense.
Speaker 3: But yeah again, I think the only reason they killed off Exodus who won again, Like you said, problematic past when it's like how.
Speaker 1: Do you adapt that? But I mean, would I want to see a whole Exodus season? Like fuck yeah, like set.
Speaker 3: In the twelve I would like to be off like that a real acolyte season. Also a season where he's in the twelfth century like Crusade.
Speaker 1: Shit, Like, I just think there's a lot there. But I don't think we did.
Speaker 3: For the story that we're telling, I don't think that we killed him off too fast. Like, I don't think the show is going to be lacking, but I do think that part of the reason that they But then again, can you really kill him if?
Speaker 1: Like, is he the heel again from the will again?
Speaker 2: I feel like if I do, which I believe will happen, if we do Krakoa by season four, I think everyone is coming back.
Speaker 1: Everyone's coming back. Yeah, that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah. On the next episode of Extra Vision, we're diving into our first reactions to Spider and brand new day.
Speaker 1: Aye, it's happening.
Speaker 2: Giving you the biggest news of the week. That's it for this episode. Thanks for listening, bye. X ray Vision is hosted by Jason Sepcion and Rosie Knight and is a production of iHeart Podcasts.
Speaker 3: Our executive producers are Joel Monique and Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 2: Our supervising producer is Abuza.
Speaker 3: Par Our producers are Common Laurent Dean Jonathan and Bai wag.
Speaker 2: Our theme song is by Brian Vasquez, with alternate theme songs by Aaron Kaufman.
Speaker 3: Special thanks to Soul Rubin, Chris Lord, Kenny Goodman.
Speaker 1: And Heidi Our. Discord moderate though