Speaker 1: And now watch going my mic back, you're like that.
Speaker 2: Time can strike.
Speaker 1: Waters headquarters behind him. And then for those of you do just tuning into civic cipher, I am your host, Ramses job.
Speaker 3: He is Ramses job.
Speaker 1: I am q Ward.
Speaker 3: You are once again tuned in to cific cipher.
Speaker 4: A lot more for you to stick around for. Back to talking about h what's the name? Then you know what I'm talking about? Yes, sadly I do, mister Ron DeSantis.
Speaker 1: We're gonna be talking about Bill ninety nine, Florida State House bill that is problematic.
Speaker 3: That's a way to put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're gonna definitely talk about that. And then it occurred to me that Khalif Browner is a person that we needed to talk about on the show, So we're gonna spend some time talking about him. Please brace for impact because that is a heavy story with an advanced trigger warning for you. But first and foremost, let us discuss Baba becoming a better ally Baba. So Today's Baba sponsored by Major Threads for the finest in men's sportswear. Checkmajorthreads dot com. And today we'll be reading from the New York Times. As you know, those of you who listened to the show, you may have heard the name Brian Stevenson. We're big fans of Brian Stevenson around here. He is a lawyer and a great orator and a person who really inspires us. He's also the director for the National Memorial for Peace and Justice and the leader of the Equal Justice Initiative. So I'll read. Montgomery, Alabama, the National Memorial for Peace and Justice, on a six acre site overlooking the Alabama State Capitol, is dedicated to the victims of American white supremacy, and it demands a reckoning with one of the nation's least recognized atrocities, the lynching of thousands of black people in in decades long campaign of racist terror. At the center is a grim cloister, a walkway with eight hundred weathered steel columns, all hanging from a roof. Etched on each column is the name of an American county and the people who were lynched there, most listed by name, many simply as unknown. The columns meet you first at eye level, like the headstones that lynching victims were rarely given, But as you walk, the floor steadily descends. By the end, the columns are all dangling above, leaving you in the position of the callous spectators in the old photographs of public lynchings. There's nothing like it in the country, which is the point. They have catalog nearly four four hundred in total lynchings. Quote. Just seeing the names of all these people, said Brian Stevenson, the founder of the Equal Justice Initiative, of the nonprofit organization behind the memorial. Many of them, he said, quote, have never been named in public. We want you to check out museum and memorial dot eji dot org, learn about that, and become a better all all right Florida State House bill. So, as you know, and as we've discussed on the show, it's some people out there that they don't want us to know about history. And uh and that's where it starts. That's where it starts. And before we actually get into this, I think we've got a clip to play. Right, let's so firight out.
Speaker 5: I am Gracelynn, I am one hundred years young. I'm here to protest our school's district book banning policy. My husband, Robert Nichol, was killed in action in World War Two at a very young age. He was only twenty six defending our democracy, constitution, and freedoms. One of the freedoms that the Nazis crush was the freedom to read. The books they banned, they stopped the free press, banned and burned books. The freedom to read, which is protected by the First Amendment, is our essential right and duty of our democracy, even so it is continually under attack by both the public and private groups who think they hold the truth. In response to the book banning throughout our country and Martin County last year during the time I was ninety nine, I have created this guilt to remind all of us that these few, of so many more books that are banned or targeted need to be proudly displayed and protected and.
Speaker 1: Read if you choose to.
Speaker 5: The quote was shown on National TV as part of Ali Velshi's Band book Club segment. Band books and burning books are the same. Both are done for the same reason fear of knowledge. Fear is not freedom. Fear is not liberty. Fear is control. My husband died as a father of freedom. I am a mother of liberty. Band books need to be proudly displayed and protected from school boards like this. Thank you, thank.
Speaker 1: You all right, So yeah, book bannings, you heard it straight from the horse's mouth. The person one hundred years old that lived through book bannings that we were made aware of in this country taking place in Nazi Germany. Take control of the children and their minds. Do not have them think beyond these borders. It'll be easier to indoctrinate them if they only have one perspective rather than multiple perspectives. We've long since known that conservatives in this country often their numbers are weakened as a result of higher education. In other words, the more educated you become, the more liberal a philosophy you adopt, the more liberal your voting tends to be. You tend to see the world with more empathy and more understanding because you've expanded your cognitive boundary Greece and you recognize that certain things are possible. There's less to be afraid of, we have more in common, et cetera. You do not notice folks who have a liberal philosophy trying to hide education, and I don't know if that's excuse me. People that are more educated are people that are more enlightened. Right because government of scientist has a degree from Harvard Law School, so very educated. Still hyper right wing conservatives still very very selfish and or bigoted and racist. So to the point, not just the idea of more education by way of school, but more enlightened people seem to seem tend to be I'm sorry, more caring, more empathetic, more inclusive. And that's a good point because education does not completely eradicate conservativism. There are people who are just conservatives and that is the way that the world that they see the world, and that's okay, unfortunate, I mean, not really.
Speaker 3: Conservative Throughout history has meant many different things.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's it's not.
Speaker 3: I don't even like to call present day Republicans versus conservative. I think it's too light a term. It's too benign and too vague. Our current right wing extreme GOP is the new country. Those are different people, man.
Speaker 1: I'm just being funny, as you know, and as many of our listeners, I am like kind of bleeding heart liberal with mine and a lot of times, uh, the conservative folks that I engage with tend to look at that like that's a weakness of some sort. And I have a real problem with that because I believe it's a superpower.
Speaker 3: They've they've been taught that you use the word doctrinated. There's a reason why.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, read as many books as I have, and then talk to me anyway back to the books. Funnily enough, so this is kind of where we are right there. There are people that do become educated and they just have conservative beliefs, and again that is okay, there's nothing wrong with that. However, overwhelmingly folks that tend to be more educated tend to find themselves with more liberal beliefs and tend to vote more more liberal.
Speaker 3: Maybe more liberal, I don't know, if they vote more liberally.
Speaker 1: Well, this is this is what I've been exposed to, you know. That's so maybe overwhelming is not the right word, but they're there.
Speaker 3: Definitely to be a bias, because I think there's a bunch of very educated people that feel differently even than they vote because of personal best interest, because of fiscal outcomes, and a bunch of other reason perhaps once upon a time, anyway, today it's a lot more straightforward. Something else.
Speaker 1: Well, I here's what I'll do. I will recheck that because I would not speak with such authority on that particular matter if I had not read it from what I believe to be a credible source, so I'll double check that, but for now, what I'm saying is based on the premise that education tends to yield more liberal voters, more liberal.
Speaker 3: People, and I'm not challenging both parts of that. I think it does yield more liberal people. Use the word voters, well, this is this is the reason why the GOP would be concerned about that and adopt these really hard nosed postures with respect to education.
Speaker 1: So with that in mind, News Bill nine or sorry, I'm reading from CBS News. Florida State House Bill nine ninety nine was advanced this week, and the bill would ban state colleges and universities from using funds to out quote I'll read the quote here says, quote promote, support, or maintain any programs or campus activities that espouse diversity, equity or inclusion or critical race theory rhetoric. This means your META, your Black student Union, your Asian American Students Club.
Speaker 3: Your National Panelytic fraternities and sororities.
Speaker 1: There you go. The bill would also give the States Board of Governors the ability to remove quote any major or minor that is based on or otherwise utilizes petigog pedigdgico just a new word for me methodology associated with critical theory. The bill HB nine nine nine was passed by the House on Monday, and the Florida State Senate must now pass its version of the bill SB two sixty six before it is able to head to Florida Governor Ron Desantus's desk. Okay. Opponents of the bill worry that its language is too vague and could be used to ban activities promoted by multicultural student unions, black fraternities and sororities, and courses in Jewish history, women's studies, and LGBTQ plus studies. An official analysis of the bill cited examples of current courses that would be banned under the proposed legislation, including Florida Atlantic University's Gender and Climate Change and Florida University's Social Inequities Social Construction of Difference Inequities. Okay, Now, it actually goes further than this, because this bill allows the governor effectively to create a panel of deciders who get to decide on tenured teachers whether or not they'll continue to be able to teach right if they have a problematic history of teachings on you know, right right on the edge of that line.
Speaker 6: Or problematic is an interesting word to use, right, and it's it's it's in this context, it just means teaching diversity, inclusion, diversity, equity and inclusion, Like, what are our strengths?
Speaker 1: How do we best get along with each other? Oh? Well, what are what are our values? What perspective can we bring? What can we learn from each other? These sorts of things. Well, basically this gives ultimately all authority to Ron de scentis, the governor the state of Florida. This man wants to be president, by the way, so he gets will run for president. By the way, he gets to side who the deciders are. And of course, as you know, if you decide, if you're the one deciding who the deciders are, you're effectively the decider, right, And then they get to decide if you can teach carbe Blanche.
Speaker 3: And this isn't people who want to be teachers. These are all teachers exactly. And here's another piece that is interesting. This comes directly from the language the Senate of the language. They want to focus their historical studies on Western European studies and civilizations.
Speaker 1: In other words, you want to say it for me, No, I don't, because I don't, so I'll say it white people. In other words, they are centering the history of white people at the expense of everybody who was not born white. Now does that sound like, hey, this is a white country. Does that sound like, hey, this is America. Speak English now that you've lost your you know, German language and your Irish you know history, and you know all the you know, all the immigrants that came. Does that sound like white supremacy. The reason it sounds like it, because I know it does, is because it is right. The thing is crafted in this language and under the guys are protecting children from feeling ashamed about themselves. These folks can get away with this. Not to mention that this is a playbook straight out of Nazi Germany, and they're not the only ones to do it. But we see oppressure, oppressive regimes ethno states, people that really try to prop up one facet of their citizenship and make all the other second class citizens second class citizens to kind of serve that elite base. This is exactly the playbook, and it might sound good to people who are susceptible to fear monitoring.
Speaker 7: But the fact is is that looking at it for what it is, it is very hurtful and it's very obvious. And because.
Speaker 1: This man has that level of authority in that state, and you know, he has the support of you know, I believe it's both houses in his state, the Senate and the the House of Representatives in the state of Florida. They're both primarily conservative or have a conservative majority. This will actually be the law gerp it is is and everybody who's not white suffers, whether you know it or not.
Speaker 3: Some white people will suffer too, Yeah, they and they do know what they just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, when I went to Africa, I went to Egypt, which is in Africa, and I saw exactly how much history is there and how far back it goes. You know, this country is four hundred some years old. They have so much stuff there and the four hundred years ago. They're like, this is the baby stuff. Who has this four thousand years old? We live of this forty thousand years old? Like that's you know. So I learned about all this stuff here and none of this stuff there. And when I got there, I realized, Man, I'm at a loss. I'm learning things that I didn't know. I'm realizing the genius of these people, you know, and it's and it's not just there. I've been in France, been in Switzerland, you know, I've been a lot of places around the world. You know, we both have and the history is so deep. But we and you might know this about us. We in the United States, we're so focused on us that it's kind of like rude. We're kind of a self centered country. Arrogance is the words you look, Yeah, definitely, and I think that it's ultimately it is to our own detriment. We live in this small little peace of the world where everything is we think everything is safe. We're afraid to travel, afraid to expand our boundaries, and there's a lot of people happy to just allow us to live our lives in a very small way and significant way, because again, the more we know, the more we expand our boundaries, the more we understand that we're all basically the same. When I was in Southeast Asia for I don't know, four or five months, bouncing around from Singapore to Malaysia, to Vietnam to Hong Kong to all of them, you know, Indonesia, I learned something that seemed very simple, but it was very profound for me. Every time I ended up on a new piece of dirt, I saw people there who were using what grew out of the ground to put some food together or make some money so that they could feed their babies, because they love their children. And I'm like, man, if that ain't the most human thing that I've ever seen. And here I am on the other side of the world. It's dark as night. It's four in the morning where I live. Over here, the sun is shining. These people's working, happy, laughing, listening to the music, dancing, kissing each other, loving each other, deserving of whatever life could hold for them. They don't live under the stars and stripes. Ain't no guns in the country, you know what I'm saying. Happy as they want to be. They go up hike a mountain, drop off a little bit of incense that a buddhas, say a prayer for their you know, pass away loved ones, back down the mountain, keep it pushing. That grew me up a lot seeing that beautiful. And the sad part about it is most of the people that I know in the United States never will have that eye opening moment where they like get to see that and recognize, like, yo, these people are just like me. So it's so much easier to see like, these are my brothers and my sisters over here doing their thing. I'm happy to support. I know what that's like. If you're up here crying and praying because you have a sick grandmother, I know what that's like. My grandma was sick too. You love your grandma too, You're doing your best for her. I respect you. I know what that. I've been there. You know what I'm saying. And now we don't speak the same language.
Speaker 3: But the kind of curse of having traveled the world is learning exactly what you just said. And this is very, very common information. We're not breaking new ground here. We have far more in common with our brothers and sisters and the human race all over this planet than the things that divide us. There's just so many people that stand to benefit and profit, or actually not even so many people. There are just powerful people that profit and benefit from the things that divide us that they spend a lot of resources making sure they highlight those things and keep us from you. Not because the haves love that there are so many have nots It gives them a much bigger pie to split between each other.
Speaker 1: Sappy, Well, the best I can say is stay woke, you know, stop being afraid. Know what it is that we're dealing with. You know, like everything that you're likely afraid of, somebody wants you to be afraid of it. Now, that's not to say that that's a conservative thing or or a liberal thing. That's just that's just the thing. But there's far less to be afraid of than you may know. And education is the last thing anybody should be afraid of. So yeah, stay woke. And if this dude does run for president, which is you know it's pretty much a sure thing, do everything that you can to keep this man from getting power, because we've seen what he'll do. All Right, it's time for the Way Black History Fact. And in today's way, Black History Fact is sponsored by the Black Information Network Daily Podcast and I will be reading from Wikipedia. In other words, you can check this out for yourself. There is mention of suicide in this story, and so fair warning, so I will read. Kalif Browner was born May twenty, nineteen ninety three, and he lived until June sixth, twenty fifteen. Was an African American youth from Bronx, New York, was held at the Rikers Island Jail Complex without trial twenty ten and twenty thirteen allegedly stealing a backpack containing valuables. During his imprisonment, Brouder was in solitary confinement for seven hundred days. I also need to let you know that if you do want to read this or real long, I'm skipping around, just how to condense it a bit here for the show, all right. On May fifteen, twenty ten, police apprehended Brouder and a friend on Arthur Avenue near East one hundred and eighty six Street in the Belmont section of the Bronx. Broder said he was going home from a party. He thought police were carrying out a routine stopping frisk, a police procedure he had undergone on a number of occasions. Police officers were responding to a nine to one one call placed by Roberto Bautista about the theft of a backpack containing a camera, seven hundred dollars, a credit card, and an iPod touch. Baltista said, two black, two male black guys, they took my brother's book back. Brouder told the attending police officers. I didn't rob anyone. You can check my pockets. The police search Browder, but they didn't find the backpack. Seventeen hours after the arrest, Browder was interrogated by a police officer and a prosecutor. The following day, Brouder was charged with robbery, grand larceny, and assault. Because he was on probation, Brouder was not released At his arraignment. He was charged with second degree robbery and bale was set at three thousand dollars with a bail bondsman. The amount needed was nine hundred dollars. Brouder's family could not raise this amount. Brouder was jailed at the Robert N. Dverreen Center, and I want to make it known that his prior arrest. He also claimed that he was innocent for that arrest too, okay. Brouder was jailed at the Robert Inn Devern Center on Rikers Island. Greet Burana, the United States Attorney for the Southern District of New York, said that the R and D C had a deep seated culture of violence in which inmates suffered broken jaws, broken orbital bones, broken noses, long bone fractures, and lacerations requiring stitches. Brouder said inmates washed their own clothes with silk and a metal bucket, causing rustines on the clothes. Router's mother began visiting him weekly and provided him with clean clothes and snack money. To avoid becoming a target of the inmates, he slept on the top of his belongings, including his bucket. Browder said he felt pressure to gain physical strength and to defend himself from carcerl violence. He said, quote every here and there, I did a couple of pull ups or push ups when I went in there. That's when I decided I wanted to get big. Router was a victim of carcel violence. On one occasion, he and other inmates were lined up against the wall. Correction officers wanted to find the instigator of the fight Broader, and the inmates were punched one by one. He said their noses were leaking, their faces were bloody, their eyes were swollen. The guards threatened the inmates with solitary confinement if they reported their injuries. On December tenth, twenty ten, a potential trial date was set after prosecution and defense had submitted notices of readiness On January twenty eighth, twenty eleven, two hundred and fifty eight days after his arrests, Browder appeared in court. The prosecution requested a defermative proceedings. On June twenty third, twenty eleven. Brouter's record showed the people not ready request one week August twenty fourth to twenty eleven, the people not ready request one day November fourth, twenty eleventh, the people not ready, prosecutor on trial request two weeks and December second, twenty eleven. Prosecutor on trial request January third, twenty twelve. On June twenty ninth, twenty twelve, Browder's record showed the people not ready request one week September twenty eight, twenty twelve, the people not ready request two weeks November second, twenty twelve, the people not ready request one week December fourteen, twenty twelve, the people not ready request one week. After nine hundred and sixty one days in Rikers, Browder had appeared before for eight judges. He later opemed these guys were just playing with my caste. March thirteen, twenty thirteen, Brouder appeared before Bronx judge Patricia de Di Mango shoffered Brouder a plea bargain of immediate release for his admission of guilt on two misdemeanors, with consideration of time already served. Brouder refused the offer and was returned to Rikers. On May nine, thirteen, De Mango freed Brouder in anticipation of the dismissal of the charges against him one week Hence, Bautista had returned to Mexico and could not give testimony against Brouder. While incarcerated. In twenty ten, Browder made his first suicide attempt. He tried a second time on February eighth, twenty twelve, trying to hang himself using strips of sheet tied to a ceiling light in the cell. Rouder later said the CEOs goaded him to commit suicide. On another occasion, after an appearance before judge, Brouter made sharp implement from the bucket in his cell and started to slit his wrists. An officer intervened. After released, Brouder continued to have symptoms of depression. He said, people tell me, because I have this case against the city, I'm all right, But I'm not all right. I'm messed up. I know that I might see some money from the case, but that's not going to help me mentally. I'm mentally scarred right now. That's how I feel. There are certain things that changed about me. They might not change. Back before I went to jail, I didn't know about a lot of stuff, and now that I'm aware, I'm paranoid. I feel like I was robbed of my happiness. In November twenty thirteen, Browder made another suicide attempt and was admitted to the psychiatric ward of Saint Barnabas Hospital, the first of three admissions to the war. On June sixth, twenty fifteen, at twelve fifteen pm, Browder hanged himself from an air conditioning unit outside his bedroom window at his mother's home. His mother discovered his body, And that was the story of Anthony Browder.
Speaker 3: Sorry, there's so many things about his story that are messed up, and so many things about his story that are not singular to him. And yeah, that sucks, man. The criminal justice system in this country being privately controlled and for profit is a really, really, really messed up thing that does not get the attention or outrage that it deserves. Because you're listening to that story of this kid accused of something, no evidence found to even suggest that he did it, and we're just gonna throw him in jail anyway. And that decision being made by someone else, as he said, robbed him not just his happiness, but his innocence of thought, his blissful ignorance, if you will. And it is really sad that again, that's not just his story, it's just the one that we told today.
Speaker 1: On a trip our way. Black history facts usually go way black, but way back, but this one was more recent. But it is definitely black history. We will always remember his name among the ancestors. But that is going to do it for us here on Civic Siphers. So once again, i'm your host. Rams's job he is, and I am Qward. We appreciate you guys tuning in. Go to our website, share our links with your friends. Donate if you can, but if you can't, like I said, like, subscribe, comment. The engagement helps. Telling your friends about our show helps. Sharing what we're doing with people who are not following us, who are not tuned in helps. So anything that you can do the support helps. This is a labor of love for us. We appreciate you guys. Know Cittycipher dot com, CITIVI excpher on all social media. Rams's job on all social media. I am qward on.
Speaker 3: A couple of those social media things that I can't really handle all of them, but we love and appreciate you guys.
Speaker 1: Man, So do you anything else for the people round? No?
Speaker 3: Man, I think you said it up all right. I guess that's it, y'all. See y'all next week. Patience, y'all.
Speaker 2: Like Yo, we had the lab. These brothers are fabulous. It's our lady showing you where Ron traveled this world. Speak tones from sunlight to move, busting on stage like gonna fights the b roll my mic back.
Speaker 1: You're like that joner list with journalist too.
Speaker 2: We can strike back all horb borders with orders from head, borders behind in the beline side.
Speaker 1: Setup and the borders with press passing.
Speaker 2: We bring it to you as it happens the streets love mocked on from the music and rapping the street Compared the slash week expando. You're gonna fight the slander with the proper propaganda.
Speaker 1: What's happening? It's how you got a questions to ask.
Speaker 2: If Deduce is just a TV show, get passing, And this from a quiet wartime journalist. Headlines wake up, Present, Resist, like.
Speaker 1: This, like this, like this. Then he Hea song