Speaker 1: Hey guys, I'm Jackie, I'm Jen Fessler, and we are two Jersey Jays.
Speaker 2: Yes, we certainly are.
Speaker 1: We certainly are, and we have got an episode for you today, and I have got to ask you something, Jennifer Fessler. So we talked about ozembic a few weeks ago, about right, and somebody, and I'm not going to say any names, somebody implied that you took the easy way out and that ozembic users should just get on a fucking treadmill. And then this same person last week or the week before, was on Instagram showing off the results of their Tommy talk.
Speaker 2: So I'm wondering your thoughts on that, all right? No, I definitely am in tuned to that. I know all about what went down there, So what are my thoughts on that? So this person got a lot of flak for saying, you know, taking nozembic is ridiculous behavior, just get on a treadmill, and then getting online and talking about and showing pictures of her Tommy tuck, and I want to say that Her response was, I tried everything before I got a Tommy Tuck. I worked out, I worked my ass off, I did everything humanly possible to lose the baby wheat and I still had loose skin, And so that was what my tummy tuck was about. It was about the fact that, you know, because I had gone through every possible method to get a tight stomach, it was okay, it's okay now that I resorted to plastic surgery, which I think is really interesting and obviously, well, this episode is we're going to talk about plastic surgery. But what is that about, Like this feeling that you have to deserve it, right, that you have to exhaust all other means possible before you decide to have plastic surgery. I don't buy into that, not for a second.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, listen, I do not think that I am not a proponent of ozenbic for losing just a little bit of weight. But I don't think it's the easy way out. Actually, I think that you deal with a lot of unknowns, a lot of people get very sick from it. You have to go through many months of horrendous nausea. But listen, yeah, been we've gone down this, Okay. So what I'm saying is, though I very strongly feel that you do not have to earn your plastic service.
Speaker 2: Right, That's that's sort of like what it came down to for me. And this person is not the only person who feels that way, right, A lot of people feel like, you know, how dare you get a Tommy Tuk without diet and exercise first? Why don't you try that first? Most people, I think probably do. But how about you know, getting getting breast implants. You can't magically make your boobs bigger? Is it okay to want bigger boobs? It's because it seems that it's fine to want smaller ones. Right, If your back hurts and you get plastic surgery because you need it, quote unquote, that seems to be way more widely acceptable than going the other way. So there's just so much stigma around. Yeah, and and that's why so many people deny.
Speaker 1: And in the housewise world, do you get a lot of people who deny having had things done when you can look at them and see that they've had things done, which is a little ridiculous.
Speaker 2: But I am very open about my plastic surgery.
Speaker 1: I've actually had nothing on my face, but I've had plenty on my body.
Speaker 2: I've had both. But if you had what have I had? So I had a Tommy tuck, and I've had light bo suction. When I was young, like early twenties, I had my boobs done. It's funny because I just wanted to lift. They're called tubular breasts, and what does that mean? So it meets I always used to say, it looked like you had a you had a tube sock and you put mine and it looked like you put a tennis ball in it. That's what you pass. Yes, And they're really really source of embarrassment. Especially as a younger woman. Taking off my clothes was just for me really really mortifyed. And so when I went in the first time to get my boobs done, that was the concern. And the doctor at the time said, you don't want all those scars. You're a young woman. Just let me put in small implants and it will you lift them. What it did do was give me larger tubular breasts. Go. So so that was not my definitely not my last boob job, and I got another one. I don't know, I want to say after I got married, and like pretty soon after after I'd had my two kids. I had them early on, and because I just wanted to lift, they were still to me. They were just so embarrassing, and so I got another one and the doctor that did them it didn't go well and it looked like somebody had chewed bubblegum and put them put it on my breath. My nipples were just so ridiculous looking. So I had a third one. Wow, I know, I had a third one that I was very, very pleased with. I felt great. And about three years ago I decided I didn't want implants anymore, and I now they're gone. So you had four, so I have had If you can imagine this, I've gone under four times for my boobs. Yes, there's a lot of investment in your boots.
Speaker 1: At so Tummy Tucky. You had your face redone and I had my face. I had a lower face lift, so my neck and when I went in for that. I have been just increasingly insecure about my nose. As you get older. You guys may or may not know this, but you know, things change on your face. And my nose was just it was just sort of like East and West situation going on, and it was I felt like, maybe partially due to being on TV, but increasingly insecure because it was just looking wider and wider, so I had my lower my neck done and then at the same time I had a nose job, and I'm thrilled with the outcome of both. Well, I had a mommy makeover, and the reasons behind that were very loaded. So a mommy makeover is the tummy tuck with the breast implants. And so I was anorexic from the time I was twenty six years old until two years ago, and after I had children, so I carried multiples twice. I had something called a diastesis, so my abdominal muscles never came back together. And because I was kind of emaciated looking, my stomach stuck out and so it was only like skin and bones and then like a little tummy sticking out, and people would ask me all the time if I was pregnant, and it would drive me crazy. Also, because I had a mental illness surrounding my weight, I could not handle the questions and I decided that I needed a tummy tuck, even though I weighed like ninety pounds soaking ut. So I got a tummy tuck. And also I lost all the breast tissue that I had because of my anorexia, So I had an a cup, and I already didn't feel womanly because I stopped. I haven't gotten my period in like thirty years, so I already was struggling with that, and I had really low estrogen, and now I had no breasts either, and I just really wanted to feel like a woman. So I got a complete mommy makeover and I had the tummy tuck. Is was for me, by and far the most painful. Oh my god, Yeah, the reeling bad. I think that there are two types, right, the one where you just tightened skin, tighten the skin, and then there's the other one where they actually pull the muscles back. And wow, I mean, I don't know that I could do that again. I mean the results were fantastic though, so but then curiously, so those were my only plastic surgeries. And then when I recovered from anorexia and I gained a fair amount of weight back, a lot of my breast tissue came back. So suddenly these like sea implants that I had turned into double d's and so I had just a few months ago, I had a breast reduction. I had those implants taken out. I had my breast tissue like cleaned out, and lifted and then I had little teeny tiny implants put in because of Sagi.
Speaker 2: You and I both are so open to talking about it, and why not. Well, well, like, I've never had a lot of shame around it. I remember on I don't know, I was trying to be funny, maybe on my fortieth birthday. I didn't even know what Instagram. It was like all Facebook back then, fifteen years ago, and I remember like everybody had left me, you know whatever, a very sweet message Indianna, you know, thank you guys so much for all the birthday wishes. And I also wanted to thank doctor X and doctor Y, and like I kind of like named the plastic surgeries just in an effort to be I guess, funny, self deprecating, and I remember just getting so my friends were just blown away that I would even say it out loud. But I've never had a lot of or any shame around any of this. But I know that it, you know, the shame piece, it permeates our culture, and there is there are so few women I find that just want to fess up to what they've had, and I don't even what is that about. I don't know. I know so many women who I won't admit they had a nose job. Why so, I have no idea. I don't know. Is there shame around it? I guess maybe they earn. Are you supposed to earn your plastic surgery? No, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: There's no way to earn your plastic surgery. I don't know what that's about. That's that's someone battling their own demons.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I don't feel I never did feel embarrassed by, you know, doing the things that make me feel good about myself and listen, the only thing about it is that I do at times feel like it's enough gen like with the vanity, there's it's enough with you know, looking in the mirror and figuring out, like what is the next thing? And I know plastic surgery can become addictive, but I don't think it has been for me. I've certainly had my fair share of it. But I don't you know, at some point you want to maybe stop going under the knife if it's unnecessary and unless it's something that's really plaguing you. I do feel that people who get a ton of plastic surgery and keep getting it over an over again, I think that there's something underlying that more than just vanity. I think that there's I don't want to say self doubt. I mean, at what point are you good enough? You know? I have a friend recently who said to me in God, the old word is becoming so overused on our podcast. But as of ozempic and losing muscle and not working out, my skin is really really loose. My legs it just sort of hangs. And yes, I have started to incorporate squats, but it's I don't think it's going to help really with the loose skin. And I was just talking to her. I was in Florida. I was like, maybe I'll get you know, a body lift. She's like, Jin, it's enough already, you're fifty five years old.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, there was just a story in the in the news about Justine Bateban.
Speaker 2: Do you remember her?
Speaker 1: She was on Family Ties and oh god, I remember when she was younger. She was so gorgeous and like she does not want to do anything to herself. And I think that's amazing. But I will admit you look at the pictures of her and it's a little bit jarring because everyone in that world, everyone in the TV world. They do their thing. Their skin is tight, you know, they look a certain way.
Speaker 2: And the thing is, though, no matter what I do, maybe Kim Kardashians of the world have enough money to look still like they are twenty and probably prettier than they were, then there's nothing that I can do that is going to have me, you know, looking whatever, twenties, thirties. I'm the thrilled if someone said I was forty nine. I'm over the moon. But at some point I think there is an acceptance right that I can't get back there. I can't get back to nor what I want to what I look like as such a young person. Justine Bateman, that's what that's the natural, that's what she looks like. And she yeah, and she feels good about it.
Speaker 1: And I think that that's so that's so great, because I don't know that I would feel that good in you know, I can't imagine. I imagine that the whole world was telling her like, oh god, you know, you really need to do something.
Speaker 2: But she's a beautiful woman. It's the same thing. What about going gray. I mean, it's you know, I have a lot of friends now that are embracing gray hair. Yeah, you know, my mom went gray.
Speaker 1: She used to color her hair, and then probably in her late fifties early sixties, she stopped and she refused to do it anymore. And it was very hard for me because suddenly my mom looked like an old lady. And I had a really hard time with that, and I begged her to get her hair colored, and she just wouldn't do it anymore. I mean now she just looks now, she looks but he thinks about Yes, he loves it. Do you think it's about like this is getting a little deep up, like mortality, yes, mertality insecurity. It's oh, you mean why people would want to have gray hair?
Speaker 2: No, I mean looking at your mom or anyone going gray, it's somehow it's like march towards death.
Speaker 1: Yes, no for me, but I yes, for me. I was like, why are you letting yourself be old so soon? I didn't want her to do that. I wanted a young mom.
Speaker 2: Yeah, isn't interesting. We want to be young.
Speaker 1: Although again I don't really well if she was getting older, it would mean that I was getting older and I didn't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I didn't feel ready for it yet. I mean, does anyone. How do you embrace that? You know, I think it's tricky, like God, bless Justine Bateman. You know, I'm not there, but I know that there has to be a fine line between feeling good and feeling attractive and feeling sexy and still feeling like I am a mature woman and I don't have to compete with you know, my daughter. But it's I think that line is so difficult, right, it gets blurred, like when to stop? When is enough enough? Yeah, I think there's a lot of insecurities for some women that go into I know there were for me a lot of insecurities about my body that went into why I chose to have blessing surgery. But the reasons why I get filler and stuff are not so much insecurities. Is keeping up you know? Yeah, I mean I don't do a lot of filler. I do do obviously, I do both obviously, but I do botox. But you know, like agism is very real, it is aging. Women have a very hard time in the society, especially with social media. It's terrible the comments I get. Do you get comments? I get comments? You look like a man? What's wrong with your ears? Actually it's funny because I was like, you know what, and as you get old, your ears get bigger, yes, your ears and your nose keeps growing. And I'm like, hmm, should I have had my ears pinned like when I went in from it? And again then there's the voice like enough Jen, And if I get really insecure about it, and it starts to plague me. But right now I just think it's funny, Like I don't it doesn't bother me when people make those comments, you know what, It bothers me. It bothers me personally. It like I take you know, I don't know, it gets inside my head. But also like it bothers me that there's this platform for people to just you know, tear you to shreds, you know, like keeping up also with other housewives, right and I'm a friend of housewife and this is just my second year. You know, way more about this than I do. But people ask me all the time if that's sort of what influenced my decision to have plastic surgery, and it's not, honestly, it's really not. But for instance, I was watching Ultimate Girls Trip, which is the best, by the way, I need to watch but anyway, whatever, but I'm watching these women, these legacy women, so they're all women of about our age, you're a little younger, and they are all running around in bathing suits and bikinis, and their bodies are so gorgeous and my body does not look like that. And they're even older than me, some of them, and they just have these ridiculously beautiful bodies. And it got in my head while watching it, and I am trying to be able to say to myself if it's going to make me really feel better and feel good, and if it's affecting my life in this negative way, but to try to say to myself, when is enough enough? And I think probably at this point enough's enough for me. Well, I have a question for him. Do you think that celebrities owe it to the public to admit to what they've done. I don't think anybody owes it to anybody to admit to what they've done. I think that I don't understand why not what about housewives? Because we are reality show stars are supposed to be sharing our reality. I don't know. I feel like I don't understand why anyone would lie about it or deny it. I don't again, I don't get the shame in it. But I don't think anybody owes anything to anybody in terms of, you know, admitting what they've done or having things done or not having things done. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I understand that, but I also feel at the same time that you're holding yourself out as I don't know, if you're going to be a public person, then you know you're giving this like idea to people that this stuff comes naturally to you.
Speaker 2: Like anyone thinks that anymore. Do you think anyone looks at I think young girls. Do you think they look at the Kardashians and think I think my thirteen year old daughter does. Yeah, yeah, I absolutely do.
Speaker 1: I think she looks at all these women and says, wow, they're so beautiful, what's wrong with me? And she's gorgeous? But you know, I think that she sees her own imperfections. Well I don't see any imperfections on her, but she sees her own, you know, features that may not look like theirs and says, God, I can't wait.
Speaker 2: So I can change it. Their faulters now, and it's all, you know what. There are so many questions.
Speaker 1: I've always wanted to ask a plastic surgeon that I never had the opportunity to do. I've asked my plastic surgeons lots, but really, well there's more. I have so many. So today we are having our first guest. I'm very excited about that. We're going to have on World Now and classic surgeon. His name is doctor Matthew Shulman.
Speaker 2: You know him. I do know him.
Speaker 1: He's never done any work on me, but I've known him for a very long time and his reputation is stellar and he's got a lot of fans.
Speaker 2: But I've got a million questions for him me too. Hi, doctor Sherlmann, Hi, how are you? Thank you so much for being here. We have You're so excited and really excited arge you. Yeah, we got a lot of questions. I remember you were known for your butt lifts. Am I wrong?
Speaker 3: You're not wrong? And I'm still known for them.
Speaker 2: So are people still getting those butt lifts?
Speaker 1: I thought that went out. I thought they were getting him reversed.
Speaker 3: Now. No, I mean people are still getting it, but the trend is definitely a little different. So you hear all this thing in the media about how butt lifts are out and nobody's getting them. That's not true. What's happening is people are just getting them in a different way. So they're still doing it, but they're not getting that big, exaggerated, overdone result. So they're going for a little bit more natural, a little bit more athletic, but they're still doing it.
Speaker 2: So for someone like me who has no ass, what does my friend says, say, I have a back with a crack? So with that, so you can what kind of a butt lift? If let's say someone I'm trying, I'm thinking I'm not going to get any more plastic surgery. We just spoke about this, but but just for shits and giggles, what do you do with something like that? If I don't want to a large butt? Can you lift the ass? You?
Speaker 3: So, So in terms of the butt, there's sort of two things you can do. One is you can lift it, which would physically be like removing some skin and pulling it up, and that's something that's pretty commonly done for people that lose weight and things.
Speaker 2: Can't see you next week? What time do you have time for next week? Just let me know two o'clock on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: But the other thing is really adding volume. So when we say Brazilian butt lift, which means taking fat out of one place and putting it in your butt. We're not really lifting it, we're just giving the illusion of a lift. So in that sense, you would need volume. So if someone like you doesn't have any of their own fat to donate to themselves, then that procedure is not going to work. Some people still will do some implants. You still can do butt implants. You know, they're good for people that don't have fat, but not always the greatest result. Or some people will do some injections. So the same stuff people are putting in their face you can put in your butt and it works pretty well. You just need a lot of it and it doesn't last forever.
Speaker 2: Now everybody wants a bigger ass, maybe not a big brasilia, I don't know. But it's constantly changing. How do you keep up with that?
Speaker 3: You know, body images and what we look at as being like attractive changes like fashion, so you kind of to keep up with trends. So, you know, as a plastics are going to have to stay in touch with what people are looking for. I have to keep up with you know, the magazines in the newspapers and reality TV, social media, and that's important. So I know what people want and also be able to predict what the trends are going to be in the future, and we have to be able to adapt and change.
Speaker 2: Do people come in with pictures of celebrities and say, make me look like her?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I mean, And I actually encourage people to bring in wish pics because it gives me an idea of what they want. Because you know, you may come to me and say, you know, describe with words what you're looking for, and that may need something to you, but maybe we're using different words. But when you showed me a picture, it's like, ah, now I know what you want. The interesting thing is, in the past, people always brought celebrities in, but now with social media, people are bringing in just you know, unknown insta themes or even just pictures they are seeing online. So they're bringing those pictures in and I don't know who a lot of these people are, but but it doesn't really matter. They're just looking you know, that's just what's in there. You know, those are just images that they're seeing every day.
Speaker 1: Of people most often ask to look like. There are certain know's that people want, or breasts that people want.
Speaker 3: You know what, Really it's really changed. I mean historically, you know, when people wanted a butt, they would bring in Kim Kardashian. You know, that was kind of like the classic what everyone brought in. And you know, for breast, you know, Jennifer Aniston was big for was big for a while. But it really you know, like I said, it's it's less about you know, I'm not seeing those same celebrities anymore because I'm just seeing more more Instagram people.
Speaker 2: What are people requesting? Now? What's your most popular procedure?
Speaker 3: So I'm really a body guy. So my specialty is blow the neck, So I do a lot of breast tummies, butts, liposuction, and so I'm good. I'm still doing a ton of mommy makeovers. So I'm getting people that come in that have had, you know, multiple children, and they want to be rejuvenated and lifted and tightened up. So mommy makeovers are still always popular. Butts again are always popular. But we're going for a more athletic, a slimmer, a little bit more natural look. And the really the hot thing that I'm seeing now is cellulite treatment. And cellulite is something that everybody has. You know, ninety percent of women have cellulite, and historically there's never been a good solution for it. And there's actually a new device on the market that I'm really really happy with that allows me to target those specific bands that cause those dimples. And in the past treatments have really failed. So we've always said there's no good treatment for cellulite. But I kind of have a good treatment for it now, So I think that's something that's really popular, and it's a lot less invasive than it's been in the past. So you know, that's kind of a trend that I'm seeing and I think.
Speaker 2: Wow, road trip, I mean, what are your patients in terms of age? What is the spread? Look? I mean, is there a need limit?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's there's no age limit. Obviously, when you're having an elective cosmetic procedure, we want to make sure that you're old enough to understand what you're having done. But then there's also the physical things like if you're if you're having something done to your body, you want to make sure that your body's developed enough where it's the right time to do it. So things like those jobs tend to be something that you know, girls are getting and boys are getting when they're like sixteen seventeen. But other things like breast implants or liposuction, tummy tugs. I think people are going to be more in their twenties before they get a procedure like that done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you ever turn anyone away? Like, do you ever feel like they don't like would you turn some away because you don't.
Speaker 1: Think that it would enhance them? Or like maybe they're they're getting too much?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I turn people away all the time. I mean I probably will turn away about twenty five percent of the people that come to see me for a consultation.
Speaker 2: Oh way, why what are the reasons I think it's important.
Speaker 3: I think that I think of the monsible plastic surgeon needs to learn how to say no. And there may be a bunch of reasons. One, maybe what you're asking for is just not possible, so I have to try to. You know, I want happy patients. And if I think that you're asking for something and I can't deliver, then I'm not going to be the one to try. The other thing. Maybe that maybe what they're seeing, maybe what the patient is seeing is wrong with them, isn't really wrong with them. And that's we get into this whole discussion about body dysmorphia. I mean, it's a real thing. People look in the mirror and they think that their nose is huge, but their nose really isn't huge, And no matter what you do, they're still going to see a huge nose. And that's called body dysmorphia. It's a real psychiatric condition. And we try to figure out which patients have that because one we know that surgery will not correct what they're seeing, and two they're going to be on They're going to be unhappy.
Speaker 1: So do you play therapist in those instance and says like, do you have to tell them you're not going to be happy no matter what because what you're seeing is not real?
Speaker 2: Or do you just like tell them know and send them away.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean it's you know, we kind of say that sometimes we're a psychiatrist with a knife, you know. So I think it's important to have an honest discussion. So even patients, why I operate on, I will tell them, listen, I can remove that extra skin. It's going to look so much better. But you've been unhappy with the way your stomach has looked for twenty years. So even when it looks great. In your mind, You're still gonna think it looks bad because that's just your thing. It's your it's your thing that bothers you. And most people will say, yeah, I get it, you're right, I understand it. So those are discussions that we always have because there's it's a lot more goes into plastic surgery than just what happens, you know, within the walls of my operating room.
Speaker 2: It's interesting when I went for my facelift, I had a lower facelift and I went in with the intention of having my entire face lifted. Yeah, my doctor said, you don't need the upper part lifted. It's just your you don't need your eyes done. There was all of this. I was like, well, if I'm gonna do it, let me really do it. But him saying that to me made me respect him and trust him so much more. Yeah, I think it's great. It's great because it would have been way more expensive obviously to have more done.
Speaker 1: Do you think that Instagram filters have played a part in younger people wanting more plastic surgery.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Instagram filters and also if we think back to you know, when snapchat was really popular, the snapchat filters kind of started it all. So there was actually something that you know, I kind of came up with a term called snapchat dysmorphia, and that kind of got a lot of play in the press. And that was something that I saw early on with Snapchat filters, where you know, people were changing their eyes and their lips and you know, smoothing their skin. So it absolutely one hundred percent is you know, it's it's I'm in a weird position because obviously, I'm a class surgeon, this is my business, this is my job, it's how I feed my family. But I have I have a daughter, I have a teenage daughter, so I'm aware of all these things. And I think it's important that people are happy with their appearance and have self confidence and be comfortable in their own skin. But I also understand that society kind of pushes people to the other extreme.
Speaker 2: So how do you explain that to your daughter. I'm so curious as a plastic surgeon, like when she and she's obviously she's a teenage daughter, so she's definitely getting bombarded with these images. Does she say to you, daddy, my turn, Like, my daddy is a plastic surgeon, so kelp.
Speaker 3: I mean luckily, luckily, she's been exposed to it for her whole life. So you know, when she was little and would take my phone and scroll through the photo roles, it would be like family, family, family, patient, family, patient, operating room, patient, family. So she's kind of she's kind of been desensitized a little bit to it. But but I mean, there may become a point where you know, she comes up to me and says, this is I'd like to change this about myself. And I think as long as as long as she understands that that will change her appearance, but it's not going to change it's not going to change herself some worth, then I think that that's that's the distinction people people need to make.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, can we ask you about some celebrities and what they might have had done?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 2: Okay, So look, can we just start with Chloe Kardashian because she has lately looked like an entirely different person. Is that just integram filters or has she completely changed her appearance?
Speaker 3: You know there are certain people like the Kardashians in particular. Are we gonna put a disclaimer so that Chris doesn't sue me? No? I think there's there's certain people that are very savvy about filters and lighting and photo editing and things. So when you see pictures of celebrities, sometimes it's not always surgical. Sometimes it's just photoheading. I think you combine that with with constant fluctuations and weight, which will really change someone's appearance, combined with having you know, unlimited wealth where you can you can do anything you want yourself. It becomes really muddled figuring out what certain people have had. But I think that I think that people definitely you combine, you combine you know, increase in weight with decreasing weight, and you kind of do that rapidly, with rapid fluctuations. Plus a lot of fillers and and non surgical treatments can start to distort things a little bit.
Speaker 2: Is it hard when you do these procedures on someone's body because of the fluctuations in weight? So for instance, if you're doing a Tommy tuck and this person comes to you and is heavier, do you want that person to lose weight first? Just because of if you do the time and top and then they gain weight and it's going to affect your results.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I personally think that everybody should be at whatever their whatever their normal weight is before they do anything to their body. And it doesn't mean their weight has to be the textbook perfect weight. It just means whatever your normal weight is. If you're normally sitting at, you know, whatever, one hundred and fifty pounds, then you should have surgery when you're one hundred and fifty, not when you're one hundred and seventy. So I never want to do surgeries on people when they're kind of at their peak, because that naturally is when people like want to run in to see me when they're, you know, had the kind of a rough couple months, and they're up twenty pounds. You want to get down to your normal weight. And that's because, like you said, if I do the surgery and then your weight goes down or goes up, the results can change.
Speaker 2: That's for the phase too, right for anywhere.
Speaker 3: I mean, you're everything changes with weight, and you can't always predict how it's going to.
Speaker 1: So you can't tell anything because people look totally different. Like last week, my mother came over to light Honika candles and I showed her what you can do. I turned her into like a redhead with long hair.
Speaker 2: With makeup on. She had never seen any of this shit before. She was like, what did you do to me? How can you do that? You know what? I hesitate to use filters. I really don't use them on my social media only because the jig is up. Like, if you're on TV, you're gonna people are gonna find out that you don't look airbrushed, right, Like, well, not everyone's on TV. But even with that, though you run into people, you're true what you look like is coming out. Do people ask you to reverse stuff ever? Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean it's so sometimes it's a reversal and sometimes it's just kind of downsizing. So specifically with the Brazilian butt lift, you know, this whole trend of BBL reversals, they're not really reversals because we're not trying to get them back to what they were before surgery. We're just trying to make them a little smaller, so it's more like a reduction. Same thing with breast. You know, breast and plants are very different now than they were ten years ago. Like we're putting in smaller implants than we were back then. So women are coming in and they want to downsize. So I guess it's sort of a reversal, but it's not really reversal because they don't want to go back to what they look like before implants. They just want to be a little bit smaller than they are.
Speaker 1: Now. What happens if you get a mommy makeover and then you have another baby? Does that, like tummy tuck go out the window? Do you have to get it all done again?
Speaker 3: Not necessarily so obviously, if someone comes in for a tummy tuck, I ask them, are you done having kids? And you know they'll say yes, But I get it. Things happen. So if someone's planning on having more children, I tell them, wait, let's just when you think you're done, then we'll put you back together. But if someone does get pregnant after a tummy tuck, it may loosen things up so it doesn't look as good, but it probably won't go back to the way it was before the surgery, because you know.
Speaker 2: I had a tummy tuck, and then since I've been up and down, my weight has been up and down. I always like to say, like I broke through the tummy tuck, so my stomach that was so tight after the tummy tuck, it's definitely loosened up, and the muscles have loosened up as well. I mean, you can blame that on a lot of things besides brownies and not doing sit ups. But I do notice that with time it's certainly not what it was.
Speaker 3: Well, I think that you know, with anything you do, you know, having a good lifestyle and you know, you know, proper diet and exercise, you have to maintain the results. But also body still ages. So I tell people plastic surgery doesn't stop the clock, it just turns it back. So if I do a facelift on you and you look ten or fifteen years younger, it doesn't. It doesn't mean you're not going to age. It just means that you're always going to be about ten or fifteen years younger. Same thing with breastwork and tummy work. It just things just get looser and crinklier and saggier over time. So it's still.
Speaker 1: I mean, is time really worse to women than it is to men? I mean, you look at somebody like George Clooney and they say men get better with age, and I feel like society says that women fall apart, Like is that true medically?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I mean I think it's I mean, there's a double standard. I mean then you know, as a man, I'm okay with it, I guess, because you know, then when I age, I'll have wrinkles and I'll look more distinguished and I'll look more you know, more worldly. But when women get those same things, they're they're judged. So it's it's an unfair double standard, but it's true. You know, that's why men men don't often get facelifts. You can do it, and if a man gets a facelift, you have to be really careful because you don't want to overtighten them because then you can feminize their appearance and they can look weird. So whenever I do like male classic surgery, even male tummy tucks, because I do male tummy tucks, you know the men that have lost weight, and I don't pull them as tight or try to snatch their weight like I do for women. I'm trying to get them to look kind of straight in boxy, because that's a masculine look. But if I did that result on you, you would come back and be unhappy and you would.
Speaker 2: Say find that a man.
Speaker 1: If a man wants a tummy tuck, is he more like secretive and shameful about it than a woman.
Speaker 3: Yes, but I think it's changing. I think that I think that men still represent only a small portion of plastic surgery patients, about fifteen to twenty percent, but I think they're becoming a little bit more open, you know. I think now you know everybody, you know, everybody's taking weight loss medications, and so, yeah.
Speaker 2: How has that impacted everything?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's definitely. You know, it's interesting because when I first started doing plastic surgery, I was doing a ton of body contouring after weight loss. And that's because I trained it. I trained at Mount sein and I where you know, bariatric surgery had his birth. So I was dealing with people that lost one hundred pounds, two hundred pounds after a gastric bypass and gastric slaves and all sorts of really invasive bariatric surgery. And that started to die down because it's a very invasive surgery. But now you're starting to see that weight loss pick up again because everybody, I mean, everybody's taking the medication. So we're seeing a lot of people come in and they've lost weight, they've lost weight rapidly, So you know, forty fifty pounds over three four months is pretty quick, but that's kind of typical. And so they're coming in and they need the skin removed. So we're seeing a real, really big uptick in body contouring after weight loss procedures.
Speaker 2: Doctor Schulman with that because I'm on semi glue tide and I've lost well over a little over twenty pounds, but my skin is it's a whole different ballgame now. And my legs specifically, the skin just hangs right. And what I have heard that a thigh lift is really not only really difficult, but the scars are horrendous. Is there a way to fix the legs the knees?
Speaker 3: It's hard because you know, when you're dealing with legs, you're dealing with gravity. So you can never pull the skin up as tight as you can pull in the mirror. So it's hard because everything's fighting that and so legs are hard, and you raise a good point and you know, I can remove skin from anywhere in your body. I can get you tight and you know, nothing hanging, but the trade off is scars. So we're trying to do procedures where we can do it in a way where the scars are hit it, so there are thighs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well you need to do that now.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean, well, you know, when you're dealing with a lot of extra skin, sometimes the trade off is you need more scars. But thighlifts can be done with just the incision in the in the crease of the groin. Really, I really try not to do that thlift where the scar goes down the inside of the leg. Now, someone may need it, but they may understand that, Yeah, I'd rather leave you with a little bit of extra skin and have you be able to wear shorts. Then feel like, even if you have no extra skin in your thighs are really tight. You have those scars, and you're not going to ever want to show those scars.
Speaker 2: You're killing me, doctor Schulman, because I said, literally in this episode before you came on, that I'm trying to reconcile myself to the pack that I'm fifty five and because i have all this loose skin, I'm just going to live with it. And now I can't get off this podcast fast enough to call your office.
Speaker 1: Well, here's a question that we started with, which is you know, Jen was recently kind of shamed for using Gozambic by somebody who told her.
Speaker 2: To get on a fucking treadmill.
Speaker 1: And then this same person went out and had a tummy tuck, And so the person justified their tummy tuck by saying that she did everything she could to get to try to fix it herself before she.
Speaker 2: Got the tummy tuck.
Speaker 1: So I guess her question is do in an ideal world, would somebody have to earn their plastic surgery by trying everything else first? Or is it okay to just do what makes you feel good?
Speaker 3: So I think it's okay to just do it. However, there's gonna be a caveat. The caveat is that you really should have a healthy lifestyle. So there are people that exercise six days a week, eat really well, and they're still heavy, And I think that's okay. I think that's a person who, yes, I can do liposuch, Let me do LiPo such and help you get off the fat that you can't get off. Let me get that skin off that you can't get off through diet and exercise. But if there's somebody that just doesn't do anything and just kind of sits on their couch and you know, is eating and not doing anything and then they have this extra fat. I don't think that's a good idea because because things that I do are contouring procedures, they're not weight loss procedures.
Speaker 2: They won't get the result or that they'll they'll will and then they'll they'll break through the result. Or do you think it's not okay? I guess we're talking about you have to sort of like earn your right to plastic surgery.
Speaker 3: So in other words, no, I don't think it's a day. I don't think people have to earn their right. I think that's I think if people want to do it, they should do it. I think it's more like you said first that that you know, I'm trying to give results that I know are going to last and are going to be can be done safely. And if someone has a has an unhealthy lifestyle, they're unlikely to get a great result, and they're unlikely to get a result that's going to last.
Speaker 2: And that's a very different thing. I think that's so interesting because what you're saying is that it's not that you're saying to people. Listen, you haven't tried everything yet, so.
Speaker 3: I'm not going.
Speaker 2: If somebody comes to you with like I had tubular breasts as a kid, like, there's nothing I could have done about it, right, I couldn't have changed the shape of my breasts. But if somebody comes to you and you know, wants to get liposuction, and it's not that you're saying you have to try to lose weight first, You're more saying that I'm afraid that your result won't be what you want, especially if you're if you're going to continue with your unhealthy life style.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you know I look at this. I you know, when i'm evaluating a person, I'm looking at them as I'm not I'm not being judging. You know, it's not my job to judge you. It's my job to figure out does what you're asking for is what you're asking for a possible can I do it in a safe way and give you the results that you want. So, for example, if you come in and you want lip bosuction, you're not really exercising, I may tell you, why don't you try to exercise lose some weight so that your body gets rid of the fat that it can get rid of naturally, and then I can concentrate on those areas that don't go away, and I think that's that's a good way to do it from a surgical perspective. I'm not doing it to like tell someone stopping lazy go exercise. It's really just about, you know, I'm looking at how to get them the best result, because, as you alluded to, if you lose weight quickly, your skin doesn't recover very well. So the skin just kind of gets loose. So if I do liposuction on somebody, they're losing that weight in the matter of just a few hours. So if they have a lot of fat, that skin can end up being a little bit loose after. But if they go an exercise and they take three, four, five, six months to lose half that weight, their skin has enough time to tighten up so that when I do the liposuction, they'll get a much better result and their skin's gonna look better. So there's ways to go about it to give the best result. And sometimes the reason sometimes the answer is lose some weight on your own. But again it's not to judge them, it's really to help them get a better result.
Speaker 2: Why do you think there is so much judgment around? You know, people doing plastic surgery, and there are so many there's so much shame around it. I mean, jack and I were talking about this at the top of the show. But don't feel shame around happy that money. I mean, it is Jackie, and we don't lie about it. We're both very upfront and honest. But there is so much of that. What do you think that's about.
Speaker 3: I think I think a lot of it is jealousy. I think a lot of it is just you know, some of the people that judge you are people that would do the same thing if they had the means, and I think that that's part of it. I don't think it's as bad as it used to be. I mean ten years ago, fifteen years ago, I think people were very closeted about plastic surgery. So I think it's much better now. And I think it's because a lot of it is generational. I think that, you know, younger generations are are much more, much more open and willing to admit to having things done, you know, partly because of social media. But again, I think a lot of it is a lot of it is jealousy, and you know, people, a lot of people who criticize would be in my office tomorrow if they could.
Speaker 1: Among classic surgeons, do they talk about the housewives world as being like crazy full of plastic surgery or is that just so like omnipresent for us because we're in that world, Like is that a known thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: No, I mean I don't think it's. I don't think so. I don't think I think a lot of it is. Probably. I mean, you're obviously getting it. You're gonna you're gonna be biased about it because you're seeing a lot of there. You're obviously seeing the press and the media that that may be focused about negative things around the housewives. But I don't I think as a plastic surgeon community, nobody, you know.
Speaker 2: We don't really talk about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't really sit around and say, like, you know what people had done or who's had bad work done?
Speaker 2: Busy, Yeah, you're busy. Okay, Wait a no zempic question.
Speaker 1: I have heard that ozempic has been complicating things for plastic surgeons because your stomach doesn't fully empty, right, and so when you do anesthesia, that's a problem.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's interesting because you know when and I was just talking about this yesterday with my anisesiologists because about a year and a half ago when people were first starting to take ozembic, but no one really knew too much about it. You know, there were some patients where know, as you know, you have to be NPO means don't eat anything for about eight hours before surgery, and that's to make your stomach empty so that during surgery and during the anesthesia you don't throw up and potentially breathe it in and aspirin and have complications. So there were some patients who who after the anesthesia would would throw up and there would definitely be gastric contents, there would be stuff in the stomach, and we were like, this is so weird, Like I know, they didn't eat their compliant patients and after the fact in retrospect, we're like that so is empic because it delays the gastric emptying and now take it may take two days for your stomach to empty.
Speaker 2: So what do you do.
Speaker 3: Well, now, we tell our patients that they need to stop the medication for two weeks before surgery to allow the gastric empty to kind of get to normal. And then people that have been on it for an extended period of time, we may even say four weeks before surgery, because it may take that long for your stomach to kind of catch.
Speaker 1: Up as opposed to one night as opposed to eight hours, four weeks as opposed to eight hours.
Speaker 3: Well, so it may take four weeks for your stomach to kind of start emptying normal again. Oh but if you're but if you're on ozempic, the food that you ate, you know, yesterday morning is still in there.
Speaker 2: I had recently had a colonoscopy and I had to stop taking I'm on semi glue tide and I want to say a week before I had to stop taking it, and that was for a colonoskby that was just for getting you know, put under. Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think a week's probably a week probably isn't even long enough, you know, I think it's it's got to be about two weeks.
Speaker 2: Wow. Wow. Do you ever get people who are scared to stop and just don't come back.
Speaker 3: No, No, because because these are all people that so you know, they so they're gonna have They're gonna have the surgery no matter what. So you know, they have to stopping and they have to stop smoking. So you know, those are two difficult things for a lot.
Speaker 2: Oh, right, right? How does you know?
Speaker 1: When I was a kid, and I think we're all in the same like kind of age group. But when I was a kid, there was a woman named Joscelyn Wildenstein and she, yeah, she was called the catwoman.
Speaker 2: How does one.
Speaker 1: Come like? What are your how do you get so much put? Is that so much classics? I don't even know what I'm asking, Like, how the fuck do you end up looking like Joscelyn Wildenstein?
Speaker 3: I mean, I think that it's unfortunate because I think it's probably a combination of you know, again, I don't know her, I don't know anything about her her psychiatric background, but there probably there has to be some degree of psychiatric disease in there somewhere. And then you combine that with doctors who need to learn how to say no, and and I think that sometimes, you know, we can't you know, it's a plastics certain I can't cure people's you know, psychiatric issues, but I can be the final point where I say no, You're not to be the one to do the surgery. Unfortunately, there's greedy people out there, and there are people, you know, I'm I'm in New York City when I tell a patient, I'm if I say no to you, I know you're going to go down the street and you'll find someone that'll say yes. But in my honest opinion, you shouldn't do the surgery. And hopefully they don't, but they but a lot of them do the surgery. And the worst thing about it is sometimes I even see those patients come back and they did what I told them not to do with another doctor, and now they're back to me and they want me to try to fix it, and it becomes very difficult.
Speaker 2: As a plastic surgeon. It's not it can't just be a science. I feel like it has to be also an art right, I mean, it's I think of it that way anyway. I mean, do you I doubt you've had many are there surgery that you do where you just can't sort of like control the fact that something happened or didn't come out right, or you know, what do you do with that?
Speaker 3: So so there's definitely an artistic component. So I think that all plastic surgeons have have to have some sort of artistic ability or at least have like that that ability to conceptualize, Like you remember, like in school when you had to do those tests where it was like the cube and it was opened up on paper and you had to like pick the choice of what it looked like when all the paper was folded. Do you know what I'm talking about?
Speaker 2: Yeah, blocked it.
Speaker 3: So those are the type of things that as a plastic surgeon we have to think about because you know, we have to see how things are going to end up three dimensionally. And but the but the toughest part is it's not it's not mold and clay. It's a human body and everyone's skin acts differently, everyone heals differently. Some patients are going to be compliant. Some patients aren't going to listen to a word I say and and just do anything not to do, and and they can end up with a bad result. So I think the key is to obviously do not do so much where you can get yourself into trouble, and also always have a plan for Yeah, I mean, listen, I'd like to think I'm pretty good, but I still have to do revision surgeries on my patients, and they're usually small. You know, there's always gonna be some degree of asymmetry. And I tell my patients, you know, your left side and your right side is always gonna be a little different. You're going to notice it, and I'm going to notice it. But other people on the beach aren't.
Speaker 2: But if they get so, it's also a degree of pain in the ass nets I'm sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean everybody, Yeah, everybody wants perfection. And you know, no matter what I tell them that, I can't make you perfect. And they say, okay, no, I understand that. And then they come back in six months and they say, but it's not perfect. It's like I had this discussion, so yeah, makes better. And and so there's always there's always the option for opportunity for like small procedures and stuff to kind of make the results her and and and unfortunately, there are some situations where you know you have to tell the patient you look great. I know you don't look as good as you think you want to look, but this is as good as it's gonna get. And you know you're gonna have to accept this, and most people do unless they have some of those little bit of dysmorphia that I didn't pick up on.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, I for one, I'm very grateful for doctors like you who will tell people no, because I do feel like I really kind of like plastic surgery, and I would hope that someone would turn me away if I come knocking for a thing that I don't need.
Speaker 2: I feel like such an idiot because again, at the top of this podcast, I talked about how my friend and Florida said, it is enough, Jen, because my legs are just they just look so old and saggy. And now you said something about the groin and I'm gonna hang yea out and I'm calling you.
Speaker 3: Come come see me. And as you know, I already said I have no problem saying no to people, so maybe I'll maybe I say no, I'll come.
Speaker 2: I'll come with her so I could see you in person. Yeah. Well, thank you so much. This is great, very interesting. Thank you so much, and we'll talk to you soon and.
Speaker 3: See you guys. Bye bye.
Speaker 2: Thank you. If you like him, I mean, how do you not like him? I know he's horrible, He's great. I'm honest and like cool and trustworthy, right yeah, yeah, yeah, I've heard great things and yeah, but I always knew that he was like a butt lift guy. Really yeah, everything. But yeah, it's funny because do you go when you pick a plastic surgeon, do you look for one that is specializing in exactly what you want done? Because I know that like a lot of plastic surgeons will say they can do the entire body and the face. I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't know, I guess, So I mean, you wouldn't want a jack of all trades. But I have a funny butt story.
Speaker 2: So you were you were called back with a crowd act, right, So I used to be called low crack jack. I have a really low crack. Is that t M? I I think that's anyway.
Speaker 1: Anyway, So I have like a really flat and like I almost don't really care because like there's nothing I can do about it, and I'm not about I actually like to run. I'm a runner, but I don't enjoy doing like lunges or anything like that. And the amount of lunges that I would have to do to have an ass is just unfathomable.
Speaker 2: So I've always just accepted that I have a flat ass with whatever.
Speaker 1: So anyway, so I at one point did ask about what I could do non surgically to have some volume in my ass, and I was told that I could have injections and that that's what the Kardashians do, and they have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of injections in their ass. So I was like, all right, let's inject my ass. So I had probably like eight huge vials on one side of my ass and six huge vials on the other side.
Speaker 2: And it did as fuckingly nothing.
Speaker 1: What it did?
Speaker 2: Nothing? It did nothing? How much of a ca a lot of money. That's a bummer. So you have other plastic surgery, you had ass surgery.
Speaker 1: It's not plastic surgery. No, that's non surgical. It's like ass filler.
Speaker 2: And it did not.
Speaker 1: But it's not filler. It's supposed to increase the and it's not the doctor's cault. The doctor is fantastic the it's supposed to like like stimulate the collagen.
Speaker 2: I guess I don't know it has Doctor Shulman wouldn't have gotten that wrong. Sorry, no it's not she didn't get it wrong. It just I don't know if my ass.
Speaker 1: Just ate it. And like I was like, fuck you, Jackie, We're not giving you an ass No matter what I pissed, I know there was nothing I could do. I think I think that if you get those ass fillers, I think you just need like tons and tons and tons of that.
Speaker 2: I mean, I never wanted my ass filled ever, but now I just want to lift it. And I'm really pissed about this whole episode because of the top of it. I was like, I'm done, and now doctor Shulman and I'm like, I know a second lunch to get that just done. I mean, I'm not gonna lie. There's more shit I want to get done. But Evan doesn't like when I get too much. Evan doesn't like it. I haven't gotten anything. I don't even talk to Jeff about it. I just sign up. Well really, I mean, it's always good sick surgery.
Speaker 1: I mean tattoos. I don't tell Evan. I just come home with a new tattoo.
Speaker 2: The truth is, of course I tell Jeff I need him to pick me up from the's office afterwards, but definitely not probably the like not at the point of consultation. After I sort of made my mind up because he'll always say no. Not no, is in you can't do this. No because he thinks you look beautiful. No because he.
Speaker 1: Thinks it's just like you're aging and it's stupid and it's so much money and like, why are you so obsessed with your physical Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, can I tell you what I don't want? Please?
Speaker 1: Yesterday I was sitting at my kids basketball game and I felt my lower lip getting swollen.
Speaker 2: And I woke up this morning and it's so goddamn swollen. I look at this. I do not.
Speaker 1: Want anymore because my lip looks absolutely ridiculous. That like, I don't know, once or twice a year, oh sleeping and he wakes up and I die by his face, looks he.
Speaker 2: My lip is so goddamn bad, like and one of it is just huge. It's the greatest morning. I took up ben Benjo last night.
Speaker 1: I took it.
Speaker 2: Do you think so? Yeah, yours looks like right? Tell me that I'll go get more. No, see, it's bad time.
Speaker 1: I do think at a certain point, listen, I think that you do not you absolutely do not need to earn your plastic surgery, get whatever makes you feel good. But I also think that at a certain point you kind of have to accept what God gave you.
Speaker 2: When is I don't know. I'm telling you. My whole opinion about that changed over the last hour. I don't know what to tell you. I thought I was done. Well, Oh well, you never have to make that decision. Just see what life brings. Yes, think you're beautiful. Oh but don't give a shit what you think. I'm calling doctor Schulmo.
Speaker 1: All right, you guys, until next time, Happy New Year, Happy New Year everybody. If one of your New Year's resolutions is to get plastic surgery.
Speaker 2: Just now, you don't need to earn it first. Love that. Also, by the way, I wish for all of our listeners and for us just to feel good, feel good about yourselves. We're trying to feel good about ourselves.
Speaker 1: I'm trying. It's not always easy. Yeah, but you know I'm going to start meditating.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I heard that makes you feel good, It makes you some inner peace. I need some inner piece. I've never tried inner piece, all the piece, all the.
Speaker 2: Piece pieces of me. All right, love you guys. I