Speaker 1: Boom, boom, all aboard the uh RuPaul bound FAG train.
Speaker 2: A g.
Speaker 1: Wait, please of the closing legs this train.
Speaker 2: This is an l g b t Q a I plus train. Rose. I feel like I've asked you this before. But what does the Q in LGBTQ stand for? And there is a correct answer, quixotic. Yeah, that's the correct answer. Thank you for saying that. Everyone is always like, is it questioning or is it queer? And I don't think questioning should be in here?
Speaker 1: Oh, questioning? I thought it was queer.
Speaker 2: No, people think think gets questioning. It is for sure queer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it shouldn't be. It shouldn't be questioning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And then people all, I don't news are valid except if your questioning, and except if you're questioning, in which case we say, figure it the fuck out.
Speaker 1: I actually okay.
Speaker 3: I I know we have a lot to talk about, and I hate to derail us this early episode, especially to talk about something that I'm going to kind of talk around in an unspecified way. But I read this fanfic recently that made me so mad. It was a fanfic in which these two characters who let's just say they're in a time period that is not current, so it's slightly more homophobic. They're having like a secret gay relationship and one of them is like not out of the closet, and uh like keeps the other one as a secret. And then at the end of the fanfic, their friends are mad. Not the one who was like using his like keeping his lover hidden, but the other guy for like wanting to push him to come out. And I was like, why, I think gen Z is bones. I think they're done.
Speaker 2: Wait was itten? Do you know if it was written by somebody in gen Z I have I have a feeling. I have a feeling. I got a feeling.
Speaker 3: It's like, and that's the worst thing you could make a young person do, is like, uh, like make a decision about themselves.
Speaker 1: Like that's violence for some.
Speaker 3: Reason, but like, uh, lying and manipulating someone is okay as long as it's in the service of protecting your identity.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like what and that because I think the happiest season is going on in here truly anyway, Sorry, that was pet peeve of mine. That makes no sense and I hate that. Yeah, we do have a lot to talk about to talk about.
Speaker 3: We have to get this train running absolutely babes complaining works. All we had to do was yell on the internet and we got invited to the Stop That Train premiere in New York.
Speaker 2: The Stop That Train New York premiere, Yes, was part.
Speaker 3: It was the opening film at the NewFest Film Festival, which is a queer film festival that takes place in New York.
Speaker 2: The largest LGBTQ film festival, I think, if not in the country, in the world.
Speaker 3: Incredible, and we were graciously invited by NewFest to come see the screening.
Speaker 2: My newest social media manager shout out do you bat. There was also a virgin who checked us in.
Speaker 1: Yes, whoever you are, we love you.
Speaker 3: We love even have to get our actual tickets because you just kind of waved us in.
Speaker 1: Love.
Speaker 2: Love when that happens, Love when that happens.
Speaker 3: Kind of had a similar situation to that last night, but I'll tell you about it later in the episode. Okay, Yeah, Stop that Train was the dumbest movie I've ever seen.
Speaker 1: Compliment entry.
Speaker 2: Yes, oh absolutely, I think it delivered exactly what it's what it promised. It is on the level of stupid. Yes, it is Airplane. It is the movie Airplane. It's very much you know, as we said last episode sending up, you know these screwball parody comedies of the seventies, and it really is if a drag race acting challenge was ninety minutes long.
Speaker 1: That is the movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, and much like a drag race acting challenge, about forty percent, about fifty percent of the jokes were like so stupid and no one laughed. And then the other fifty percent of the jokes were the funniest thing I've ever heard ever ever, like just like such dies, such niche gay jokes, and like, yes, it is, like again, it's a drag race acting challenge. It's a storm Agonza.
Speaker 1: It's a storm got that one?
Speaker 2: The storm Agonza really got you when you find out that the storm that the train is going into is called, in fact, a storm Agonza. And they open up like an old book is I guess we should explain the quote unquote plot film.
Speaker 1: So there's a.
Speaker 2: Training so Jujubi and Gingermine, who are the stars were the stars on the films?
Speaker 1: Who we were? Who we were sitting directly behind, directly behind?
Speaker 2: Uh?
Speaker 1: They are d d and tests tests.
Speaker 3: They are two Dumby trained stewardesses who work on stank railway, and they're very jealous of the you know, more glamorous uh Glamizonian Express uh train attendance and are able to kind of hoodwink themselves onto a Glamazonian train. But that just happens to coincide with a storm Agonza setting down somehow.
Speaker 1: In the middle of the country.
Speaker 3: I don't know how hurricanes are supposed to make landfall that far in, but whatever, and they so the train has to be stopped before it crashes into the Storm of Ganza.
Speaker 2: Into the Storm Agonza, And there are many kind of twists and turns that this that the train takes like into like a haunted tunnel, and other things that it won't spoil for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, things fly across the screen. RuPaul plays the President. RuPaul made a surprise appearance at the screening. There had been a bunch of speeches, the movie was about to start, and then we hear RuPaul on a mic off stage. He comes out and spends five minutes I would I would say, not really knowing where he.
Speaker 2: Was, nor to mind, trying to find his friend PJ. Well. Well, the first one of the first things he said, I believe is like it's so great to be here in Los Angeles.
Speaker 1: Angeles.
Speaker 3: He definitely did not know what city he was in and looking he was looking for his friend PJ over the mic. And let me be clear, at first, when he started doing this, I was like, Oh, maybe he's going to say, like, PJ.
Speaker 1: Is you know, was my assistant.
Speaker 2: Or like JA played up an important part of.
Speaker 1: The role, was one of the writers or something.
Speaker 2: I have a surprise to announce you.
Speaker 3: No, PJ is just RuPaul's friend who was in the audience who RuPaul wanted to say hi to, and.
Speaker 2: As and as we're said to us, they used to be close and they're not that close now.
Speaker 3: And you know, of course the only way they could connect is for RuPaul to use I would say fifty percent of his time before the screening of his feature film to say hi to PJ. Also talk about sort of how in demand he is in Hollywood. Just kept being like, oh, well, I'm always being flown around the world to set and then he like cackled.
Speaker 1: It was very funny.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he also kept kind of being like, Okay, so did I do it? Did I fulfill my requirement?
Speaker 1: I felt like a traffic cruel obligation. Can someone guess off forehead?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, it was so funny. I loved seeing her in person.
Speaker 1: I've never been in the same room as Ruaul before.
Speaker 2: It was really very exciting. Well, you know, famously that I've given a present I've I've you know, presented like two slides of a presentation to rue Paul before, Yes, at Netflix, and he did laugh at a joke that I made the loudest that he laughed the entire meeting. I yeah, okay, So that's the plot of the movie. There are a plethora of cameos. I think the best I would say the best player in the ensemble, hands down, Laterrece Royale.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, but I wouldn't call that a cam media right.
Speaker 3: She played mart because she's she's part of the drag Race universe and she writes okay character in the film. I really liked the running gag with Sarah Michelle Geller that she always thinks people are about to like talk about some you know thing they love her from, and actually no one knows who she is and fucking hates her.
Speaker 1: That was a cute little recurring bit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there were a bunch there were I mean, it's like, if you can think of someone who has guest judged on drag Race, they were probably in this movie.
Speaker 2: If you can think of somebody that is in the kind of like contacts in the contacts app of the phone of Fenton Bailey or Randy Barbados.
Speaker 1: Who were also the screening fathers.
Speaker 2: They are literally Aristotle and Plato like creat writing the scrolls are like their God and Adam in that painting the creation of man touching fingers. If we're not counting drag Race Stiva's, then I would say my favorite cameo was actually Missy Pile. I thought she was lovely.
Speaker 3: Missy Pile is such an amazing comedic character actor who has appeared in so many movies and TV shows. My favorite of her roles are either interesting in The Puzzycats.
Speaker 2: Or in MA I don't want to be a bitch, but.
Speaker 1: This is a safe space. This is an unsafe space. I can be a bit.
Speaker 2: I didn't know who Rachel Bloom was, so I didn't. She drove so much of the movie.
Speaker 1: She was she had a big role.
Speaker 2: She thought she could have it could have been, we could have rearranged it.
Speaker 3: She's like the the the dumpy woman who works at the center of like transportation who's trying to help them train. I think it's train's headquarters.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And Rachel Bloom is someone.
Speaker 2: Who I I know who she is.
Speaker 3: And I'm I've definitely like seen her in a guest role in something before. But the thing that she's the most famous for, which is this show My Crazy Ex Girlfriend, which was a musical on the CW I believe, and she's I've heard, yeah, And she's really talented. She has a great voice. She like wrote the show. I think she wrote all the music too. Yeah, I like I thought she was.
Speaker 1: Good in the movie.
Speaker 3: I do kind of agree like it. It maybe was an opportunity for like a gag year actor. But you know, she's kind of like of I would say, of the the pool of you know, like drag Racegution celebrities. You know, she's like she's like solid and like she she was there to act, like she was there to perform. She she didn't like she wasn't like pulling focus like Charro. You know, she was able. She's like she's like enough of a working actress that she was able to disappear into the role.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: And I will also say I thought Juju Bei was amazing.
Speaker 1: Jujubi carried the film. Jujubi is charamedic genius.
Speaker 2: She like her and Ginger were a great two hander. I thought Juju was essentially the the if you were she saw the movie. Yeah, and her the stakes of her in relation to all the different elements of the film, like that, to me was the biggest center and that she also gets to be the the kookie one while Ginger is kind of playing the straight man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well you know, not straight. And also Ginger.
Speaker 2: I saw I saw tweet that was like a photo of her from the premiere and it was like she got skinny and lost her realness. I was gonna say, I mean, it is not not necessarily untrue. She was good in the film.
Speaker 1: And that's what she was in the film.
Speaker 2: I really liked Brooklyn Heights and Marsh Marsh Marsha and Simone as the as like the mean girl trained stewardesses. They were very funny. I would say that there's a joke. I won't spoil it, but there is a joke featuring a raggedy an doll. Oh. I actually think that joke is in the trailer. So people have probably already oh it is, Oh my god, they spoiled that in Comedic Genius.
Speaker 3: Okay, one thing not necessarily about like our enjoyment of the films, there has been this controversy bubbling up. A lot of people are saying that it looks like a lot of generative AI was used in the film, and in fact, sure it was. The director Adam Shankman made a statement and he said, every shot and stopped that train is made by human hands. Has come to my attention that there's some online speculation that Stopped that Train is full of fully generative AI shots, and I'm here to tell you this is patently not true. There are some total of zero shots conceived by AI.
Speaker 1: In thish way.
Speaker 3: We employed hundreds of VFX artists. Untbelieve that who all killed them hundreds getting this out. They maybe had two killed themselves getting this out for release, and not one job was taken out of human hands. This movie is a fully human made piece of joy and laughter. So I do think there is something to be said of like, I think we are kind of losing the further we go into the AI era. I think we are losing the ability to determine what is real and what is not and.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't have been able to discern. I would have fully thought that was AI.
Speaker 3: Well, I think there is there is a difference between AI and just bad cheap CGI, and like I could very much clock that what was in the film was bad CGI to the level of what is done in drag race acting challenges.
Speaker 2: Yes, and in AI.
Speaker 1: A lot of.
Speaker 3: People do think that the language and this is very carefully worded. Oh you know that they're zero shots conceived by AI. So it's like, so does that mean like they prompted something really specifically and they're being very very careful about the language.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I personally like, I mean, here's the thing, if they did use AI, we're certainly never going to find out about it now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean I feel well, that's the thing is I think it would be I am I'm curious, Like it seems like something that would actually be difficult to lie about, is my thought.
Speaker 3: But I also think it's just but I do this is a product of our of like our culture calling everything slop culture. You know, it's like people anything they don't like now, it's very easy I think in the way that five six, ten years ago, it was easy to say I don't like this because it's problematic, and that was like an argument ender, a conversation finisher. Now people just say, oh, it's a slop, and I think that's actually a really limited way to engage with them and think critically about art.
Speaker 2: I agree, I agree, and I think this is what you're saying. But I think that it brings up this I think really a question for the culture. As it were, we were just celebrating the six year anniversary of a question for the Culturela del But it is like, actually, like just saying something looks like AI slop is like not good media literacy. Like I I'm I'm gonna go actually out on a limit say that Adam Shankman has no reason to lie, and also that he is, you know, someone who I do. I do believe in a generation of artists and directors that are actually going to stand on the right side of history. And if he's making this statement, my hope is that is what he's doing. And so I yeah, I think for public discernment, it's like it's the same thing as like fact checking, Like you can't just look at a TikTok and and and and distill that in all the information in that TikTok is going to be factual. It's just not how we should be critiquing art, so to just for the media story to actually really get away from it. And everyone has concluded actually that the film was made by AI. I mean that's kind. I mean, no, girl, shitty graphics are shitty graphics, okay, And also something to be said. They also really honey the opening credits of this film. Ever, they cleaned out the stock footage library for trains. They searched trains into like Adobe video stock, and they got everything. They took it all, baby. But yeah, I mean, but that's the movie was done on a relative budget, right like people. I think, didn't you say that?
Speaker 1: People were?
Speaker 2: That's crazy to me.
Speaker 1: I want to know, looks like it costs two dollars to me.
Speaker 2: But that's how we like it. That's how we like drag. That's why drag is good, because the cheapness of drag as an art form is in conversation with the art form itself and in being aware of itself, is part of the shtick and why it's so funny. Well, yeah, I mean that's you know, I think you find camp in the dissonance between this movie looking like it was filmed in my bathroom, right, and the fact that everyone's treating it everyone in the film or is treating it as if they are in you know, a Christopher Nolan movie, right. I yeah, I mean yeah, then that's just not with this That's not the standard that this film is supposed to be at. And I'm glad that they didn't use AI. According to the statement, thank God, what do we talk about next? Roads? Do we do? Do we talk about what you did last night?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think I think we should.
Speaker 2: I think that's next priority. Babes, you kind of died and went to heaven.
Speaker 3: If I'm not well, I died if went to Hell and I had a fabulous time.
Speaker 2: I didn't know he was going to be performing Rose.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So last night I went to the season three premiere of The Vampire Lesstat formerly known as an Interview with the Vampire. It was the premiere and a live show with Sam Reid performing live as as the Stat in character like in character, like he was doing like patter between the songs in character as the Stat with the French accent. Everything he had, like his like makeup, scar On. And so for those who haven't been listening and don't know the third season of the show, Oh my god, fuck my weed delivery is here.
Speaker 2: I'll go get it. I can. I can tell the versions. Okayam the third season of the show, which is called The Vampire Lestat because that is the title of this next kind of chunk of Anne Rice's books following Interview with Vampire iterates the story of Listat as he kind of moves through time because he's obviously centuries years old to now be a rock star. And the rock star's name, oh, is maybe just the Vampire list A.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his band is called the vampireless At, right, And.
Speaker 2: I didn't know. And he performed at this premiere.
Speaker 1: Yes, did he do one song?
Speaker 2: Two songs?
Speaker 3: No, he did four or five songs. He performed for about twenty minutes.
Speaker 1: That's shock.
Speaker 3: He performed with a full band, including Daniel Hart, who is the composer for Interview with the Vampire. They wrote I think like upwards of twenty or thirty songs for season three and performed a bunch of them last night.
Speaker 1: The songs kind of you know, like.
Speaker 3: Are are the framework of the season. From what I can see a hold on, Vampagana have to go.
Speaker 1: Get this.
Speaker 2: The I was uh, I was going to ask, actually if the I think that the rock Star is supposed to be a kind of like Prince slash Bowie hybrid, and this like rock Star kind of persona I think lends itself so beautifully to the first element, right, Like the rock Star is very thirsty. He's a very thirsty This is me Vambi girl. My question for you, this is very important. Yes, who came first? You, Ty Mitchell or Ira Madison?
Speaker 1: It was definitely me. Yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: So the premiere was held at the Beacon Theater, which was a really beautiful venue venue for this specifically.
Speaker 1: It it has like a.
Speaker 2: Very old world feel.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 3: They screened the first episode of the new season, which was very exciting.
Speaker 1: I'm not gonna spoil it, but I'll say like.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 1: It was incredible.
Speaker 3: It's a very different show this season, and that is something they have played up a lot in the marketing and all the press around it. I mean it very much like it justifies the fact that they have actually changed the title of the show to The Vampire lesstat Like, just the way the show looks the way it's shot and edited, the way it sounds, it feels like a different show, but it's really still grounded by these you know, incredible performances from Sam Reid as the stat I mean, like he really is the star of the show. Now, he's in almost every second of the first episode.
Speaker 1: But the.
Speaker 2: But the series still is following this century's long romance.
Speaker 3: Or yeah, I mean yeah, I mean, well, the thing is, like the Vampire Chronicles and Rice's books that the show is based on, Lista and Louie they are endgame. They are like to her, you know, they they were soulmates. They were always going to end up together, but you know they're they're vampires and they are immortal, and so they're constantly breaking up and making up. And you know, the season picks up where the last season left off, and that Lestat and Louie have reconciled.
Speaker 2: Louis knows that Armand.
Speaker 3: Is the one who actually plotted to kill Claudia, and the in world novel Interview with a Vampire, well not novel, nonfiction book has finally come out, and so and as the season starts, Listat and Louie are connected again, and then Lestat reads interview with a vampire. It sends him on this crazy spiral and he starts a band, and it's there's so much blood and sex and drugs. Lestat pisses blood? What and does Molly In the first episode, there's incest.
Speaker 2: What in the first episode.
Speaker 3: In the first episode, it's very the vibe is very glam rock.
Speaker 1: It's very Bowie.
Speaker 3: Daniel Hart, who composed all the music used to open for Bowie, like back in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Okay, love.
Speaker 1: Sam Reid.
Speaker 3: Sam Reid was so incredible. I mean, like I knew he could sing, because he has sung in every season of the show so far. I'm sure they, you know, audition to people who could sing, knowing that canonically Lestat would eventually have to become a rock star. I was unprepared for how incredible he was live, not only his commitment to playing Lestat, and like the fact that it felt like he's sang in character. He's sang in character. I truly think Anne Rice rose from her grave last night.
Speaker 2: Wow. It was magnetic and so sexy. He's so hot and tall. Were you able to seduce him at the after party?
Speaker 3: He wasn't there when I was there because we left. I mean, we were there for a while, but I think he he. I know, he did the stage door at the Beacon afterwards, so he was probably like meeting people.
Speaker 2: But I did get to meet Jacob Anderson Louis de Pont de Lacy. Ira and him are friendly, and Ira introduced us. Oh my god, Jacob actually revealed to me how he gets the fake blood off of him and it's shaving cream. What yeah, wait, not dish soap, not oil based facial cleanser.
Speaker 1: Shaving cream, I know.
Speaker 3: And I asked him, well, do you also shave when you're like removing the fake blood? And he was like no, and maybe I should do that. I was like, yeah, I killed two birds with one stone. He went, yeah, killed two birds with one stone. And then I was like, can we take a photo?
Speaker 2: Love?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: It was. It was so fun. It was like such an amazing night. I looked insanely hot.
Speaker 1: You, I have to say.
Speaker 3: I knew everyone was gonna be wearing black, so I went in the opposite direction and more silver and it was just a yeah, it was a fab night. I'm so excited that what I think is the best show on TV is back and I do have access to screeners for all the episodes, but I think I'm gonna wait and just watch them as they roll out live. I really like watching along with everyone else.
Speaker 2: Okay, babes, that is a shift from it what you said last You said you were going to watch you were not gonna be able to wait, and I actually really I support you waiting. I think that that will feel more pure.
Speaker 3: I'm you know, I'm happy that I watched that. I saw the first episode in a theater. It was like, you know, a really amazing experience, and like, I'm fine that I got to see that a couple of days before the season premieres. But yeah, with everything else, I kind of would like to stick with the weekly release. That's how I like to consume my media.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's literally perhaps it's definitely your favorite sho on television period, right, Yes.
Speaker 3: And I Interview with the Vampire and The Gilded Age are are tied for my fa favorite my favorite shows currently on TV.
Speaker 2: But surely Interview with a Vampire edges it out. No, it's not to pit you against your your not to make you choose your darling. It's not to Sophie's choice here, No, it.
Speaker 1: Does Interview with the Vampire.
Speaker 3: Interview with the Vampire has a lot of what the Guilded Age has, you know, it has like the period costume drama aspect, because so much of it is flashbacks because these are vampires.
Speaker 1: And the guild.
Speaker 3: But but it also has you know, modern day and vampires and gay sex, which the Gilded Age does not yet have. And would you say, sorry, this is so pointless to put them against each other, but I would, I would say based on your reviews because I haven't really seen either shown full. But it feels like the Vampire listet has provided a bit more consistent entertainment where the Gilded Age had.
Speaker 2: Didn't you say that there was I liked I liked to guild it. It was a season that weighed No, I loved it from episode never mind I missed it for better every season. Oh love that?
Speaker 3: Okay, But Interview with the Vampire has been one hundred percent perfect from the first episode it there's no skips.
Speaker 2: Yes, I I mean, look, we'll see if I join in because like I am not, I'm not gonna I'm not gonna pressure you, but I will be discussing it on the show, and who knows, maybe maybe my enjoyment of it will move you. But one thing you did see, uh, that I had already seen, was Obsession. Yes, I want to hear your thoughts. I saw it last night, so it's fresh on my mind. For the Virgin. Obsession follows the story of a guy named Bear and a girl named Nicki and their two friends. And Bear has like an obliterating crush on Nicki and Niki perhaps probably does not reciprocate, and so he is kind of like, you know, his cat dies. He's feeling really low, he's feeling like he's hit a wall trying to woo Nicki and totally impulsively is at a crystal store. Very what was the name of the crystal store you went to in Los Angeles?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Fuck Okay, I want to plug them now, even though I don't actually think people should spend money on crystals. But it is a famous crystal store and it is called Oh I don't remember, the gays own it. They'll tell the virgins will tell us, Yeah, drop your favorite crystal store in the comments. But he buys a something called a wishing willow, A one wish willow, A one wish willow. You snap a little twig, and you make a wish and your wish comes true, and he impulsively snaps it and says, I wish Nikki loved me more than anyone in the world.
Speaker 3: He clearly has never watched any kind of media where they discuss Genie rules, because you know that you have to be specific about your wording when making wishes.
Speaker 2: You have to word it so clearly, and even when you do, they still find a way to fuck with you. Yes every time, reat we don't actually want our wishes. That's that's a I mean, I don't think the film, to be honest, Like, my take is that I don't actually think the film dug deep into any of its themes, one of them being like do we really want what we wish for? What are the kind of like what are the kind of like human impulses around unrequited love and what do we do with them? And then this also kind of like there's like a I don't know, I don't know if this is actually surrounding the film, But the first thing that came to mind is that there is a literal gen z Witch conversation asking if love potions and and and love spells are non consensual.
Speaker 3: Yes, and yeah, I do think you can look at this film as an allegory for rape, particularly you know, date rape or like intimate partner rape or you know, any kind of like sexual assault.
Speaker 2: Like, but the film doesn't go there at all.
Speaker 1: It doesn't go there.
Speaker 3: But I think I think it's it's gesturing towards that idea, like I think, particularly because you know, to sort of finish the recap, you know, the wishes made. Nikki becomes obsessed and it seems like she's possessed by something demonic.
Speaker 2: It becomes a demon possession story essentially, but this wish.
Speaker 3: There are these moments in the film where what seems to be the real Nikki breaks through and so good, those those are devastating, chilling because she's sobbing, she's asking, she's begging Bear to kill her. Yes, and that was the best part of the film to me, those moments, to me, those and the last shot, which I won't spoil. But like the end of the film, what we end on to me very much is nodding to making this parallel to a rape survivor's experience. But I agree that it does not commit enough to that, And I think that is probably because it was written and directed by a man, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, I something I want to like say. I have mostly like kind of critiques to talk about.
Speaker 3: We have a little message that's saying trying to reconnect. Is that showing on your computer or just no?
Speaker 2: Can you hear me?
Speaker 1: I can hear you. I just want to be sure it's still recording.
Speaker 2: Is it currently showing that message?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it just says trying to reconnect to make sure you have a stable internet connection.
Speaker 1: Hm hmm, and my internet.
Speaker 3: Is stable, so ism let's let's stop and start and I'll.
Speaker 1: Just edit edit these together.
Speaker 2: Are you sure?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fine, okay, thanks. Oh wait, it's like not even letting me do anything.
Speaker 1: Hmmm mmmm.
Speaker 2: It won't let you stop the recording. M m hmm. I want your vape so bad right now. I wonder what would happen if you opened the same link on a new window while keeping this window open.
Speaker 1: Let's try.
Speaker 3: Oh, it says recording and progress, So I guess it is recording and I'll figure out how to cut.
Speaker 1: This out of the episode.
Speaker 2: Do you mind?
Speaker 1: It's fine?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 3: Okay, So I was kind of we were on the subject of do we say the ending or, and it was just I was just saying that it gestures to the rape metaphor, but without really committing to it be probably because it was written and directed by a man.
Speaker 2: Right, I want to get into I want to get into like my critiques, so I'll preface them with the things that I really loved about the film. I love that it was a quote unquote micro budget film.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: I think it costs less than a million dollars in the production. It's not counting like like marketing and stuff.
Speaker 3: And I believe it was mostly filmed in Curry Barker's apartment, which is that the cost is solo.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's only twenty six.
Speaker 2: That's so crazy to me. It is I just understand broken records in its production budget to revenue, giving very blair witch in terms of the discrepancy between how much a cost to make and how much money it made. And it also has increased in box office sales week over week, which like does not happen really, especially for films like this. So I think it's really cool that this is an original idea that is a micro budget that somebody took a risk on and that it's successful, Like we need more films like that. I also will say that, uh, what's her face? Denavaret Indi Navarette. I mean she kind of screwed the pooch by telling people that she was inspired by Mia Gotha and Pearl, because I'll of course then compared her to miagoth and Pearl, and I you know, if the Virgins remember loved Pearl, loved the final scene of Pearl, loved Meogothan Pearl. But I think the film is a little boring. And part of that is because so much of the film rests on Mia goth and her ability to be kind of terrifying, and that was the same case with Indian. Neverat is that this this scariness of the film was one hundred percent leaning on her and her ability to be creepy, and she was very successful at that often. But was she successful at at one hundred percent of the time? I would say no. I would say there were many things that the Shi did that were not that scary to me. Some of her movements were not scary to me. When she was like wailing and crying, there was like maybe one moment where it was scary, other moments where I'm like, it's not. I also think that there's an image that they used where she's like she's lit from the back and cascaded and dark. You basically can't see her features at all, and she looks so scary in the way that this image is shot, and they use that trick like seven or eight times, and so it just became less and less scary as it went on. But what she does with the role is nonetheless really really impressive, and I think she's gonna get a lot of work now.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: For me, it was the most exciting thing about it was seeing this, you know, very captivating new performer who I'm excited to see in other things. I really really liked her performance in this. I think again, as I said last episode, I do not think you can compare it to something like Isabella Johnny in Possession.
Speaker 1: No, but.
Speaker 3: I thought this movie was very interesting. It is sort of like a referendum on where straight people are at in culture, and it's pretty much as bad as it's always been.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Well, again, there were a lot of kind of themes that were not really touched on. And I guess I'm not someone who really needs a movie. I like a simple movie. I don't need a movie to be deep or to make me think, But I just I felt like there was a lot left on the table, and that was kind of one of them is like this this the state of compulsory heterosexuality, and like how certain kind of hetero relationships like really aren't They're not able to communicate at all and in ways that are shocking. I think it to that effect, and I don't want to spoil the fat the last third. I do think that the third act of the film is like I really love the third act. I think we can I think we can spoil it. It's been long enough. Yeah, Okay, we're gonna spoil it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're talking spoilers.
Speaker 2: Okay, so virgins, we're about to spoil obsessions. Gep ahead so that you don't hear anything. I She ends up killing one of She ends up killing both of their two friends, and the bear is freaking out because Nikki is like clearly like demon possessed. He's realizing that all of this shit is like coming true. He's like realized that he's like, you know, backed into a corner. He goes back to the crystal store, which is like the thing he should have done the very beginning, but whatever, this is a horror movie. Of course you're gonna do that. Last he went back to the crystal store. He gets a wishing wand he is trying to get someone to use it. He gets multiple wishing ones. He's trying to get people to use them to undo the wish because he himself can't do it. You can only get one wish. You can't do a second. And Nicki what he goes and his plan isn't working. Nick he goes into the bathroom, decides to kill himself with a bottle of oxy and then right after he does that, Nicki from outside the bathroom because he's locked her out, snaps the wishing wand and wishes that makes the same wish, but for him. She wishes that he loved her back the same way, and so they they reunite and for a brief and wondrous moment, they're like covered in blood. They're two best friends dead alongside them and they're like, oh my god, we're going to love each other the exact same and it's this manic demon for demon kind of relationship. And then he dies. When he dies, the Niki Niki is basically broken free from the spell because the thing she's in love with is no longer there, and she's back to being the real Nikki, and the real Niki essentially wakes up, sees all of her friends dead around her, covered in blood, and just is left with that. And then I think also in that moment, is realizing the extent of what happened to her and what she's survived. And that's why I do think you Know It very much is again trying to sort.
Speaker 3: Of be a rape allegory. Yes, because that felt very very much like the aftermath of a sexual assault.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: One thing I.
Speaker 3: Appreciated about the film is that it did not really try to explain the one wish Willow yes there. I really liked that scene where he goes back to the magic store and the guy's like, oh, yeah, like you made a wish, like those things work, and like it's not.
Speaker 1: It's like this kind of magical realism or like.
Speaker 3: He he gets he tries to convince his best friend, who he finds out was actually secretly fucking Nikki all along. He tries to get him to make a new wish that will override his wish, and the friend just wishes for a billion dollars and it just starts falling from the ceiling, which is crazy, which is crazy, And I like that because I like that it it's hinting that this is a bigger, more kind of magical, you know, world than we kind of understand, But the movie is not interested in exploring that, and I do really like it. I like those kinds of horror and fantasy stories where we're seeing just kind of like a slice.
Speaker 2: Of something without getting it to explain to us. So that part of it I really appreciated. It was more like, I agree that the film was not super scary. It was more creepy and unsettling, and I just wanted it to like lean in more to what I was trying to say. I agree, and I think it's I think it's very promising. It's a very promising look at a new horror filmmaker, a new scream queen in Indian Everette. Sometimes like the script did feel like a first draft. I won't lie. I think that there were and and that's and I'm saying that kind of like with love and adoration because I'm just like kind of glad that it got made. And I think it's like a fucking cool movie. To be honest, even if I there are things that I want to dig deeper into as I as we always want to do. I definitely also to the point that you just made about, like the rape allegory, and also just what we wish it would explored. The big territory for me was, as I said earlier, there's this really gripping scene where Nicki is asleep. He's trying to sneak out she that she starts talking in her sleep, and we find out that the Nikki talking is the real Nikki, not the demon possessed Nikki, and she's saying, please kill me. It's very much a Sigourney Weaver and Alien for ll me kill me. Oh my god, I forgot about that, and it yeah, like it's chilling, And in that moment, what we realize is that Bear actually is pretty evil. Oh absolutely, if we didn't, if we thought that he was a victim for part of this film, which is part of the film, does position it that way for part for a lot of the movie?
Speaker 1: I think that I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I agree with position he didn't think the wish was gonna work. I think that that's in his favor, you know what I mean, Yeah, but I do think the film still, yes, he judges for what for what he's okay, John, And I think because because he's like he's stringing her along still he's like hiding the fact that she's not well.
Speaker 3: And also and also there are many there are so many points within the film where he is confronted with what he's done and how he has ruined this girl, his lifelong friend from what we can glean because they talk about, you know, growing up together. He's ruined her life essentially like murdered her, is kind of raping her body nightly.
Speaker 2: And is and has chosen not to do.
Speaker 3: And and there are multiple points where something happens where he is really confronted by the reality of all this and he has the chance to maybe not make it right, but like, yes, go back to the crystal store, go back to the crystal store. Or when he he's told that the wish will only end when he dies, and that's kind of what prompts him to kill himself and he can't even follow through on that. There's so many points in the film where he goes to the brink of realizing how horrible what he's done is and then he just backtracks it because he's still ultimately and I think what this movie is saying is men will still take the easy way to have women in whatever way they can, even if it's not the reality of that woman, or that woman in the way that she would or that woman in a way that she would not consent to. They'll still take it. They will take whatever they can get.
Speaker 2: And part of it because the ending was full nihilism, like it's everybody's dead, which and in the worst case scenario, I think it can be very babies. Well, I mean, I don't know. I actually really like explosive endings, so maybe I did kind of like that element of it. But my thing, I really felt like there was an opportunity actually to show in the final act that he was actually the real villain. I think that as critics were kind of like, oh, he's the real villain, but like, I don't know, I kind of I thought that there could have been another turn in the film where he is truly actually so so evil. I think, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know.
Speaker 2: I thought that him vomiting up the pills he takes was like so reprehensible and so evil and so clearly. Oh, I forgot about that.
Speaker 1: I thought it.
Speaker 3: I just feel like it would be very hard to watch this film and not understand that he's a bad guy. I think the film is making that very clear. I do think that many people could watch this film and not interpret it that way. I think a lot of men will see this film, and I'll interpret it that way and even maybe see it as like something they would want. I think a lot of in cells will will kind of I don't know, maybe even rally behind this film. I think it will kind of like prove something to them. I hate that, but I do think it's it's very clear that he is the villain. But our culture has a problem, a question for the culture. Just does the culture know he's the villain?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure. I don't think that was really I think that there was a missed opportunity to paint that kind of picture. I don't need it to be hampsted, but whatever.
Speaker 3: Anyways, before we before we end for today, I really want you to tell me how Euphoria ended, because I'm never gonna watch it. I don't care, but I would really love for you to give me an unhinged breakdown of the end. Of Euphoria because I'm sure our listeners who don't watch would also.
Speaker 1: Like to hear it.
Speaker 2: I'm not going to give any sort of comprehensive summary, unfortunately, because I watched the overwhelming majority of this season with my laptop open and my phone being scrolled. So and per the tweet that I sent to Rose, somebody spoiler alert for Euphoria season finale. If you don't want Euphoria's spoilers, the show is not really that good. I think it's whatever. You're gonna be fine, but whatever, if you want to skip, go ahead. Rude dies, as does Jacob a Lordie, And there was a tweet that said, damn Rue died while I was getting my cheeks clapped. I'm so sorry Rue, Like I didn't mean to do that, Like, and that's fucking during Euphoria, baby Baby. Actually I bring up the tweet because I actually think it brings a perfect thematic kind of assessment of this sentiment around the third season of the show, in that it's second screen content. It is like, oh, obligatory watching, but also we're not really that into it. We get bored. We're gonna like maybe fuck instead, or I'm gonna look on my phone instead, like that's it was a testament. Actually do the quality of the show that it would become a show that you fucked to? Which I think that's like kind of what a fuck show is. Okay, it's like a low quality show.
Speaker 3: What would you say, are other fuck shows? Malcolm in the Middle, Avatar, The Last Airbender, not Malcolm in the Middle. Well, maybe I can't any I can't fuck while an animated show is playing.
Speaker 2: Oh I absolutely could. Ohio Miyazaki, oh down.
Speaker 1: If you but would you fuck during Ferngully?
Speaker 2: I would fuck during fern Gully, Boots, any show that you've seen before, absolutely anything if you have.
Speaker 3: And by the way, if you haven't listened to our patron exclusive deep dive into friend Guly and other nineties non Disney animated children's media, you should go listen to it right now.
Speaker 2: It's so good. Patreon, so good, it's so good. Dot com three times slash like a virgin. Yes, I uh maybe three Yes, I'm two and a half. I love I love that episode. My show is my favorite show. You guys, it's we I love listening to us in our friendship. Okay, so girl, I won't I won't summarize the whole plot. But basically everyone at the front from the start of the film, every every single character is either a sex worker or a facilitator of sex workers. It is kind of cuckoo bananas, a bizarre and very like clear choice. Rue is working at this strip club called the Silver Slipper. Rose Alia's cameo is like a stripper with a neck brace who kind of advances the plot. The villain of this season, I can't remember even his character's name, is like the owner of the Silver Slipper. Hunter Schaeffer, in a kind of totally different terrain of the show, finds herself being a sugar baby for a surgeon that pays her rent. Nothing is exported in that, like her plotline is basically non existent. And Sidney Sweeney becomes is like in pursuit of becoming an onlyfan star, and Matt and Alexa Demi Maddie becomes her manager like her madame, and it is just like such a There's so many things that I think we're confusing about the show and its many turns, but I would say in a sentence, it is a kind of Quentin Tarantino pastiche kind of moment the film that the series is set in like desert California, and the backdrop is strip clubs, saloons, drug heis. It's many moments, both in music and sound, and both music set, sound cues, tropes, plot lines borrow from an era of westerns, American westerns, Spaghetti westerns, I would say, And obviously Tarantino is famous for his modern interpretation of the spaghetti western. What Sam Levinson does is perhaps maybe a more expensive looking version of it, a more Petro Collins toned version of it. But I did not really feel like there was It's missing something that we kind of loved about the first few seasons of Euphoria, which is a sense of invention. To be honest, I don't mind that the show is like a lot of extremities. I don't mind that the show really rests on shock value like it's always like it always has. But the final the final episode of this show basically is the villain of this owner of the Silver Slipper has gone through the ringer with Rue in a kind of push pull, twisty turney relationship of do I trust you? Are you gonna betray me? Do I trust you? Are you gonna betray me, and Rue as the kind of schlepper for the strip club, is constantly doing his bidding but also kind of sneaking around. Ultimately, after all a said and done, and Rue, for the tenth time in the series, makes her final escape. She has like transcended and escaped impossible circumstances through the entire series that are like very very like plot plot plot, high wire ax car chases, like the masterfulness of Sam Levinson's like suspend attention. After all of that, he literally just poisons her with fentanyl, a fentanyl painkiller that she takes because she got beat up, and it's like and that he gives her like and she takes it when she goes home to Coleman Domingo's house. Her if you don't remember, Ru's AA sponsor, is played by Colemen Domingo. He's like quite a beating heart of the show and is something of a father figure to her. And she dies on his couch and Coleman Domingo goes back to the Silver Slipper looking for her revenge in a scene that is very satisfying, but ultimately it's kind of like it was just upsetting to watch Rue die and you know, Sam Levin Sinas said, had said, you know, people like Rue don't survive. You know, addicts don't survive essentially, which I think is crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's really depressing.
Speaker 2: And also the selective realism. Dog like you, your show rests on extremism. Your show rests on like just do I don't know doing the most. It's not a show based in realism. I would say it's portrait of addiction is often realist, but that's because of Zendaya, not because of Sam Levinson. Sorry, I'm gonna say it.
Speaker 1: And correct me if I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: But there was speculation that the show might return for a fourth season, but HBO has announced that it's.
Speaker 2: For sure over. It's for sure over. There's no if censor butts around it. If they want to be evil and create a spinoff, I'm sure they will, like with Coleman Domingo or you know, to be honest, it would be Sidney and maybe Alexademi or maybe just a Sydney show. Sidney Sweeney to me, had the most to do for the entire series. There's a lot of existing discourse about how she was used in this season. I don't know if I can really add more to it, I think I would point you to a New Yorker article by Inku Khan about the show's portrayal of sex work among a few other shows like Margo's Got Money, Troubles and but as it points out at as many critics have point out pointed out, Sidney Sweeney kind of the show gestures towards the stigma of sex work and makes jokes about how their you know, sex work is work or things like that. But at the same but simultaneously, Sidney Sweeney has to enact every single kind of either exploitative, kind of sexist archetype of a sex worker or the kind of male, gazy sexual exploitation and performance of a woman who is in sex work. There was it was all glamour. I mean, obviously horrible things happened to her, But to me, the portrayal of sex work was one hundred percent glamor. It was not really that nuanced at all to me, not that we expect it to be, but uh, what was I think what a lot of people are talking about is that there's a film where in Sidney Sweeney's character refers to democrats as retarded, and it's clear that Sam Levinson is using Sidney Sweeney's public image outside of the show and taking her having her character Cassie play into that and exhaust interesting. It was really, really weird, and you know, Sidney Sweeney is full of agencies. She was fully willing to do it. I you know, commend her for that whatever, But yeah, it was. The show was a little bit of a nothing burger. I won't lie nothing. Really very happy that I did not continue watching it. Yeah, I I I don't know if you have a heart out, but I do need to wrap it up, but we have.
Speaker 3: We have some lingering things to talk about that will push to next week. Push next week. I did see back Rooms. I think fran is going to see it, so we'll discuss soon more on the Vampire list at to come, make sure that you are subscribed to us on Patreon so you can get the monthly bonus episodes. Our May episode again is on Non Disney animated children's Media of the nineties and it is really fun, so you should go listen to it and get our bonus deep dives every month and keep enjoying the summer of like Virgin. We'll be here back on the main feed next week.
Speaker 2: Bye, love ya.
Speaker 3: Do you have a stop button on your screen? No, Okay, I'm gonna hope that if I just end session for all, it's gonna work. We'll see, okay,