Speaker 1: Mother Knows Dad starring Nicole and Jemmy and Maria qk.
Speaker 2: Hi. Everyone, Welcome to Mother Knows Death. I'm here with Maria and we are doing a special holiday episode this week.
Speaker 3: You guys ask us a lot of questions every week, and we can't get to all of them, so we thought this would be a fun episode to answer a bunch of them while we're taking a little break from the news. So all right, let's kick it off with a question I'm sure you'll love. What is one habit each of you has that drives the other one crazy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I could tell you what mine is with you is that you talk too loud. I constantly feel like I'm like, shut up, you're talking too loud.
Speaker 3: I learned from the best, so I don't know what to say.
Speaker 2: I think I I think, I really think I have like a noise, like an auditory noise thing that like triggers anxiety in me. So but yeah, when we're if we're like out at a restaurant or something, I just feel like she talks like a hair too loud, and I just like don't want people here in my business. But it's really not that big of a deal. How about me, please, it's too pitty to.
Speaker 3: Get I really can't even tell you off the top of my head. If everybody doesn't know, we work together like ten hours every single day, not even physically, like we're texting the second we wake up. I'm there for eight hours, and then we're texting afterwards.
Speaker 2: Actually we're on the phone, and then like holiday get togethers and of course, like we just have family dinners and stuff every couple weeks, so it's like not even a break on the weekends most of the time.
Speaker 3: I guess my number one thing you need that drives me crazy is when I'm trying to get something done that's time sensitive, that you're edging me on about that's time sensitive, and then I'll ask you a question and you won't get back to me for like an hour, and I'm like, dude, I'm trying to do this.
Speaker 2: It's because I'm thinking if I don't have that, I am. I am really bad at Like if someone sends me a text message and I don't know what to say right away, I just don't write back and I'm like, oh, I'll deal with this later, and then I don't. I'm like really bad at that.
Speaker 3: So sometimes if the little clips come on Instagram four hours after the episode is up. Well, it's just because I'm trying to think of something, that's all. All right, our autopsis performed on holidays like Christmas or do they have to wait until after.
Speaker 2: So in the hospital, in the at least the pathologies departments that I've ever worked at, they were closed on Christmas Day, so we would add on the weekends actually too, so we would only do them in extenuating circumstances on the weekends or like after hours. But at the Medical Examiner they're open every single day. They don't close. So yeah, some autopsies are being done, just not at hospitals.
Speaker 3: Oh that's interesting. I didn't realize that they were open on Christmas. People die on Christmas, believe it or not. Okay, is there anything to be concerned about botox filler being injected into a body.
Speaker 2: Like a dead body or into your body? Just yeah, I mean I don't know. I get botox and filler, so I try not to think about it because it's one of the benefits out way. The risk kind of thing. I don't I don't personally have not had any issues with it, but I've read horror stories from medical journals of issues. And the one thing I would say is that I go to doctor Dimitri. I love him so much in Morristown, New Jersey, which is what like fifteen minutes outside of Philadelphia. Probably you could get there fast, but I just love him so much because all he does is that's all he does is fillers and botox, and he's an expert at it. He goes to special classes all the time. He's you really need to know the anatomy of the face, because if you inject anywhere wrong, you can give a person severe problems. And I think that there's a risk with any procedure medical procedure, even if it's something as small as like a tiny injection. But to decrease your risk, you have to go to somebody like obviously everyone doesn't live in Philadelphia, because then everybody could just go to doctor Dimitri. But you have to make sure that you go to someone that isn't just like your family doctor that learned how to start doing botox. It's like someone that is it's their passion and their life, and they are well versed in anatomy and all of the different products, and they know what they're doing. That's all I could recommend. I do know that some of them carry side effects, but you just have to read the pamphlet and make sure you're not on certain medications or have underlying health conditions.
Speaker 3: Okay, our suicide's more common during the holidays.
Speaker 2: I I don't know. I don't work at the Medical Examiner's office, so and when I did my internship there, I wasn't there during the holiday time. I've heard that that's not necessarily true. You know how they say there's the most domestic abuse calls on Super Bowl Sunday. There's like all these little things people say. I just I heard It's not true. There's I mean, unfortunately, there's lots of suicides every day. That's that's all I could say.
Speaker 3: Do we dream about death? If so, how frequent and realistic or not? I would say almost never.
Speaker 2: I had. I've had a couple bad dreams really about like Gabe at work. Honestly, that's happened a couple of times. But and I don't know. I don't even think that that's triggered by anything that we either talk about on the podcast or just like what I've seen in real life. More just like real life unfortunately real life situations where people that we either know or we know through friends that have firefighters that have died in the line of duty. It is always something on the back of my mind. It's not frequent though, it's just like a couple of times. But other than that, No, I don't, I don't do you.
Speaker 3: No. I have really crazy dreams all the time, but never really about dying. I'll have ones that people get hurt in my life where I get hurt, but nothing like they's so there's so like fantasy base fantasy, I mean like fictional base that like they're so outlandish that they couldn't be real. So when I wake up, I'm able to like get out of it pretty quick, even if it's really disturbing.
Speaker 2: Momm probably my mom, So let me tell you about my mom. She like she's so annoying with her dreams. She'll just call and say, I have the craziest dream and then she goes on this like one hour story about all this shit that would just never happen, And I'm like, what is the point of you telling me this right now? Like it's all the time that I was like, Mom, I don't want to hear about your dreams anymore, like write them down and make a book or something like nobody cares.
Speaker 3: It's one of those topics that I think, like, I personally hate hearing about people's horoscopes. I don't care. I don't care what the moon the lines like. I'm sorry, I can't get into it. I know everybody thinks I'm into it. I don't want to hear about it. I don't care what time I was born and with the sun whatever it's dreams are I feel in that category two of just like things people when you start telling somebody else about a dream you had, they're like.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, exactly. Now when the kids tell me their dreams. I love when the kids tell me their dreams because I could I do like disacting like a dream and and hearing like when the kids just say all this, like really outrageous stuff, I'm like, oh, well, you can attribute that to when we talked about this the other day and this when we talked about this the other day. Because I feel like, if you do have bad dreams, it almost kind of freaks you out that you had such like sick thoughts while you were sleeping, but you always I feel like you could always look back and say, like that little piece came from that, and that little piece came from that. Like usually these things don't come out up out of the blue. They're just like very scattered. So I do like it with the children because I do like explaining it to them. I think it helps them like not be as scared.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, what's our favorite episode of The Nanny? Oh?
Speaker 2: God, this is so this is so hard for me to pick too, because I just love like every episode. I actually like need to start watching that again. It's just so good.
Speaker 3: I love when the episode when she's on Jeopardy. I love the episode where she meets Barbara Streisan because that's how I imagine I would feel if I met her. H Well, she doesn't even really formally meet her because she's supposed to go to the concert, but then she sends Cecie with her dad to go to the concert, but then Barbara calls her on the phone. Who would you.
Speaker 2: Say your favorite character on The Nanny is?
Speaker 3: I mean Fran but side character Niles the Butler. Definitely, he's so hilarious.
Speaker 2: I know I was actually gonna say Niles too. I think that he's he's so funny and on point with the insults, and it's just it's such a kind of such a well written show.
Speaker 3: I kind of hate the kids, honestly, foot I don't I hate them.
Speaker 2: I just don't. I don't really like. No, I don't. I don't mind them as much some some shows I really like can't stand the kids. And you know who I like. The kid that I don't like is the kid in the Elf movie. I just think he and I don't not like him as a person. I just think that he wasn't it was. It's the only role in the whole movie that I'm kind of like, Eh, I don't know if I'm feeling it, but I think I think it's good because they're supposed to be like spoiled rich kids, right like and and well, let's not forget the best character, which is Grandma. Yea, yeah, Grandma. Yet it is is like she really is the best, Like the whole the whole thing is just is just really and and the mom her mom, what's her aim? I kid? Why can't I even think of Sylvia? Yeah? Like, it's just it's just such a well written show.
Speaker 3: I love it so fun. Fact, a couple of years ago I saw this comedy special that Fran Dresher was part of in New York that got taped, called Women of a Certain Age, And I didn't even know it was getting taped. I just saw she was coming and it was affordable, so I was like, I'm going to New York for the day see her. And I was sitting right behind Renee Taylor, who plays Sylvia Fine, and she is even more fabulous in person, So that was a really cool moment for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she They're just so great. All right, what's next?
Speaker 3: Where can I send pics of pathology to submit for your page?
Speaker 2: What's what's the email?
Speaker 3: Nicole at her email that she doesn't know is Nicole at the Coal at the door? Modern?
Speaker 2: Sorry? It well, it goes right to my phone and I don't I don't use it like that, So it goes to my phone and said she's the tech guy, but yeah, send send me stuff there. It goes right to my phone. I could see it and if it's something that we could use, we'll definitely use that. I use users submitted things all the time, So please and send us news stories too if if you're interested, if you see something that happens during the week. My mom sends me. She mo, Mom sent three stories this week, and I'm like, I got it already, Mom, She's so many. She loves when we like don't have something, and I'm like, we're on.
Speaker 3: She did come through with the monkey story. The monkey story was good. What's your favorite Christmas song song? Well, you think my favorites? We need a Little Christmas by Johnny Mathis. I feel like it's sounds like during that time in like the fifties and sixties when they were all the crazy pills and like I just imagine them like being like no that yeah, dancing around like all amped up on whatever pills they were giving everybody back then, and he just sounds like so crazy. And I just think of the behind the scenes of making that song, and for some reason, it makes me really think it's fun. I can't even I'm not accusing him of being on pills.
Speaker 2: I'm just saying, no, it is like it It really is, like it's really grand. Yes, I don't know, like I have this right now. I have this whole station setup that plays like all the older songs, which I prefer anything by, Like I love Andy Williams so much, so all of his songs and then I am kind of a sucker for like the old religious songs. I really like them, like Noel and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: Oh, I like like I love Noel and.
Speaker 2: Like obviously I think and the new the newest song that I like is like the Mariah Carey song, which isn't even new. I think it came out when like right when you were born.
Speaker 3: I came out like twenty years ago.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that I don't like. My kids were trying to get me to listen to did you hear that song? They were like obsessed with about a snowman or something or snowball, and and they kept saying that we listen to it. They want to listen to Tayler.
Speaker 3: Swift, and I'm like, you need to influence their musical taste more and put on Harry Connick Junior's Christmas album because that was the pinnacle day.
Speaker 2: They're just not They want to listen to Taylor Swift like all the time, and I'm just kind of like, and I don't. I don't like hate her or her music. I just like I'm not I'm not into it. Like I just I like what I like. And I'm an old lady and I like the old stuff and that King cold too, don't forget about it.
Speaker 3: And that King yeah is great. Who's your favorite historical figure that's died. I guess that we've covered, Oh for like a celebrity death to section, well, not a celebrity like I would blanket it as like for me, I would say Marie Antoinette because I think her story is really interesting behind it with the revolution and the beheading and then get into the wax Museum and all of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was a really cool one. Marie Currey was a really good one.
Speaker 3: God, oh yeah, that one was really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we do so many of them that you're that and I love of course, I love the Marie Currey woe because she was just like a pioneer scientist when women weren't doing that kind of stuff. So I love that. And I love that about Marie Antoinette when we were learning about Madame Tusseau and her whole story was super cool too. It's just cool to I think, like in a time where women were usually not doing anything that they were doing this like really huge stuff. I just like love stories like that.
Speaker 3: No, Marie Currey was cool, and at that time we were reading the Radium Girls for the Gross Room Book Club and that that really opened my eyes to toxic chemicals and everything. So that was definitely really interesting to see. And not to mention, she's just total badass lady, super cool.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and What the Radio Girls was such a good book. You guys have to read that if you haven't read it. It's so interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's long, but it's worth every second. I did the audiobook and it was so good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so so good.
Speaker 3: I did too.
Speaker 2: I was gardening out back all summer and listening to the book. It was great. And then then after you listen to that book, then you want to read our High Profile or Celebrity Death dissection on Marie Currie and it just kind of all goes together and it's just so good.
Speaker 3: Okay, tips for a shadow a pathologist.
Speaker 2: So things are weird now because of hip strong hippa on top of COVID. Hospitals have changed a lot, and I don't really know exactly how things are, but it's just like things that I'm hearing how hard it is now to shadow. My only suggestion to you would be to call a pathology department at a hospital near you. Maybe you want to try, like a smaller one that doesn't have as much going on, because you might be more likely to be allowed to go and see if there's a way that you can go in there and shadow a pathologist for the day. You'll usually get a hold of like a secretary and just say, Hey, I'm in school for pathology or I'm in doing my prerequisites for pathology, and I really wanted to know if I could come in and look at the watch the pathologists work for a couple hours the whole like I want to go see an autopsy. Thing is just something that you just have to have, like be happy if you stumble across it, because like a lot of people would say, oh, I want to come schedule a day to come see an autopsy, and I would say, well, like I can't. I can't predict when someone's going to die, so I don't know like we would have sometimes we wouldn't have an autopsy for a whole entire week at the hospital, and then other times we had two a day the whole week. Like it's just you couldn't predict it or schedule it. So if you do go follow there's always surgical pathology every day. You could always look at them dissecting something and then maybe there'll be an autopsy too that you could so happen to get in on.
Speaker 3: So do you have to be in school to be access to be granted access for that or could it like a regular person interested in pursuing the field that's not yet, we'll do it.
Speaker 2: I feel like I would say no. I feel like like back in the day when I first started, it would even be sketchy to just let someone come in and see an autopsy just because they wanted to, Because you have to think, like that person's a patient at the hospital and there's like charts that we have laying around and they're they're names written on the specimen containers and the toe tags and stuff.
Speaker 3: So it's like.
Speaker 2: There's hippo concerns. I know at some hospitals. I hear they don't even let nurses that work at that hospital look at an autopsy, which is insane to me.
Speaker 3: But it's like, yeah, that doesn't seem like it should be right. It doesn't, but they're doing their education. They just their hospitals get scared so and you know what I mean, So they just they're just trying to cover their ass. So I feel like a smaller community hospital might be a little bit of a better bet because they might not be so they might be a little bit more lenient. Okay, next, did I teach myself to embroider? And the answer is yes. I started crocheting first because I went through a summer of I took the kid's Nintendo switch because they weren't using it, and then I was playing Animal Crossing all summer, and my headaches were really bad because I was going from staring at my phone in the morning to working on a computer all day to then staring at a Nintendo switch all night long and was becoming a vegetable. So I was like, I need a hobby that's not with working on a screen and I could just kind of sit there mindlessly do it. So at first I started to teaching myself to crochet, but my brain just really doesn't work that way and I could barely get like an oven.
Speaker 2: Which is funny because so we just did our my dad's side of the family Christmas party last weekend and we do like a Pollyanna between all of us. It's really fun. And Maria got a crocheted blanket that my aunt Harry Made who's almost eighty years old, right or she is eighty years old. She turned yeah, and she made like she's like whips out blankets like it's nothing like and she she I'm talking to her about it in the bathroom and she's like, I only do one or two stitches, and I was like, dude, You've made a whole blanket like really fast. I was trying to teach the kids how to do like one little line, and it's it's just like not easy to do if you're green in mind.
Speaker 3: Can't do you know? Yeah, I just I couldn't do it. I tried a bunch of different things, and my friend Julia is really amazing at it, and she also will sit there and just whip something out while with her and her husband or driving or something or just when they're watching TV. I just can't do it. So then I I thought to do well. Julia actually suggested that I do the embroidery needle point. So I started off by getting a couple of kits off of Amazon that were really easy, and then I like worked my way up and since Christmas is coming up and I've been making everybody presence, I've been going off and like doing my I actually just finished my first really big design, So after Christmas is over, which will be when this episode is out, I will be posting all of the embroiders have been working on for the last three months, but I obviously can't right now because I don't want to spoil them for everybody getting them. But I'm really proud of this one in particular. I just finished and it's really soothing to just sit there and do it. There's a lot of forgiveness if you mess up, which is what I need, and I wasn't seeing with crocheting, so I think it's cool. And my big project for this winter and early spring is I'm going to be embroidering us Philly's cardigans. Oyah, I can't run our style because baseball gear is just so ugly sometimes.
Speaker 2: So oh it really is. And you know we were talking about this too, like Taller Swift has been all over the news, like going to these games, and she's just like wearing the same old crap that we wear the games. I'm like, if she can't wear some like super cute gear and like look different than any other like female sports fan, it's just like not gonna happen for us, but we're determined to make like really cute Phillies gear, at least for ourselves.
Speaker 3: On that note, somebody ask who are our favorite Phillies players? Oh?
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know who to say who is my favorite? Because I don't necessarily have a favorite, but obviously, like Lillian loves Bryce Harper, so we I love Bryce Harper, everybody does. Real Muteo's Lulu's favorite Philly so he's one of ours too. Casianos, we're happy that we heard some rumor that he was probably getting traded, and we're like happy that that didn't happen. And uh Stott, what's the other ones named?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: Alec Bohm, I have a boomer. I mean we what obvious ones am I leaving out right now? Marshy my favorite?
Speaker 3: Marsh Brandon Marsh Yeah, I like, I really think we have such a genuinely good team. I love s Forward too.
Speaker 2: I think, oh yeah, obviously he yeah, yeah, what I would actually say I there's something like I really love about him because I think that he's like he's just like older but like and and people are always like kind of talking ship because he doesn't really do that great but then when he goes up, like when he does do great, he does really great. So yeah, him too, everybody. I love our whole team. It's just like such a great team. Yeah, we have a great team. And I think like biased but not. We have the most handsome team in the MLB right now. So yeah, that is no. Yeah, because when we go to we go, we see a lot of the teams, you know, we go to a lot of games.
Speaker 3: So yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: This episode is being brought to you by Stinkbomb. Did you guys listen to my episode the other day with doctor Daniel Westcott. We talked about some stinky things at a stinky job, working with decomposed bodies, and we love Stinkbomb. I wish I had it when I was a student, And honestly, I'm probably gonna send him a little package of it because he's currently teaching at the school with lots of decomposing bodies and I'm sure the students would not mind a stink Bomb gift.
Speaker 3: No, that would be really awesome of their teacher to be like, here's this, pick your favorite flavor, let's get through this day together. So everybody could use code MKD fifteen at stinkbomboderblocker dot Com for fifteen percent off all the products.
Speaker 2: Thanks stink Bomb.
Speaker 3: Where do we eat shop for our clothes? So?
Speaker 2: I would say my number one place that I shot for close is J Crew because they have their g I just wear like one or two different cuts of jeans because I'm I have really long legs and I have like really really really wide hips, and I think that they're they just fit me the best. They they have high waisted pants that don't like scooch down my butt when I you know, when I bend over and stuff. They just fit well. And also I'm constantly like fluctuating in between the same ten pounds, and they fit when I'm skinny and they fit when I'm fat. They're my favorite jeans. And I would say I wear every day and I like their sweaters. I just like I don't really on a just like normal day, I just wear like a sweater and jeans and uh, Doc Martins, what do like? Yeah, where do you go like normally? Well, most of my clothes are from Express because I find that they have really good neutrals, and I really like the way their jeans fit me. And I just get body suits because I also wear a lot of cardigans and stuff. So like, typically my summer go to outfit would be like a body suit with jeans, sandals, and a cardigan or something. And then in the winter I'm strictly like big socks, leggings, oversized crew neck sweatshirt. So I get a lot of vintage stuff. I would say most regularly I get closed at Anthropology, but I refuse to pay full price there, so I only when they have like right now they're having a huge sale.
Speaker 3: So like that's when I'll buy a couple of things. But also typically that could be a failure because if it's on sale, it's most likely because something's weird about it, which I found a lot, So I guess between Anthropology shopping vintage by winter Crew. Next, I like to get when I travel, so I get one in like a city I travel to, and I wear those. So that's for the.
Speaker 2: Most part, But I think I get like I get my nicer clothes from like Nordstrom or Anthro too.
Speaker 3: But I yeah, but like every day.
Speaker 2: I don't really dress that night. I like to look like put together, but I don't wear like a nice a nice shirt or nice black pants or something on a normal day, you know, No, I.
Speaker 3: Mean I look like a total slab every day we're not doing.
Speaker 2: I don't think I Well, I look like a slob on on Mondays for sure, because that's the day we write our high profile or celebrity death dissection and I'm just like literally sitting at the computer for at least eight hours, if not more. And I mean I always get up and get dressed, but barely.
Speaker 3: Also, I went into a loft the other day, and I think they have a new creative director because I wanted almost everything in there.
Speaker 2: I haven't been a loft for a while. I wish that a Generallions obviously, I love General Lions, And I wish she was back at Jakrub like what was that ten or fifteen years ago, because that was just like amazing. I wish she would be my personal stylist. But yeah, that's it, all right. Do you like fruitcake? I honestly don't think I ever had it.
Speaker 3: I don't think i've had it either, but I don't really I'm not interested in it. Like I don't even like when we get like water ice and there's little chunks of anything in it, I feel like it's too chunky for me. Yes, I have texture issues.
Speaker 2: I don't I would try it, I just didn't ever try it. But you guys know, I don't eat gluten, so I doubt, Like I don't know, gluten free fruitcake sounds pretty terrible actually, but I'll try. I'll try anything.
Speaker 3: What scares you more than anything else eat tornadoes, which is a recent fear because all of a sudden, New Jersey's like Oklahoma over here. Just get the tornado warning every other day. What's your favorite movie?
Speaker 2: Moonstruck?
Speaker 3: Moonstruck. I have kind of a tie between Parent Trap because it's like pure childhood nostalgia. I love that movie, and then the Trinity of Weddings singer Happy Gilmour and Billy Madison.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're all good. It's really hard to pick.
Speaker 3: And Pride and Prejudice with Karen Knightley and the guy from Succession I always forget his name, but I love that movie so much and I will watch it anytime and just think, so it's such an amazing story. I love Jane Austen, you know movie.
Speaker 2: I love Bottle Rockets.
Speaker 3: Oh I've never seen that guy.
Speaker 2: I love it, so it's on my list. It's so good. I'm actually gonna tell Gate, well, I have this role that like around Christmas time, we only are allowed to watch Christmas movies. He was like, we had a little date night the other night and he was like, let's watch Oppenheimer and I and I'm like, no, we have to watch like Scrooged or something. We can't watch. We can't watch to non Christmas movie.
Speaker 3: So we're in that too. Of we do like our own like twenty five Days the Christmas thing. But we took a break the other night to watch Killers of the Flower Moon, which was so incredible and I loved it, and I actually have an article that I want to write about a component of that movie. And once a month. I'm a huge movie person, Like I love the theater, I love the popcorn. Me and my two friends go once a month to see a movie, and it's like one of my favorite things to do during the month. So I love I definitely love going to the movies. I love everything about movies. Okay, what is the best slash coolest way to go out that you've heard of?
Speaker 2: Like to die?
Speaker 3: Yeah? To die?
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'd like to go out notebook style, hand in hand with my husband at the same exact moment, because yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Never saw the Notebook because I feel like I'll just cry the whole time.
Speaker 3: I can't watch.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I like anymore like obviously obviously, like like we were just talking about in a previous episode about a woman that was on her hospice bed with with sowreds in her mouth from radiation and stuff, like I definitely don't want that. And yeah, I mean I think obviously if you can die with your hut. I always tell my husband that I have to die first, because like I just won't be able to handle if he dies, you know, unless you die at the same exact time. Yeah, I guess that's totally realizing. That would be That would be the best. I guess hopefully it's when we're both really old though.
Speaker 3: I mean that movie. You can't watch that movie because it's like they grow old together after having this amazing love story and then the wife gets Alzheimer's and can't remember and it's like him retelling her their life and then they died together. It's like, yeah, I know that.
Speaker 2: I just like have no inter in feeling like shit, like on.
Speaker 3: The topic of death, are more the most full during the holiday season.
Speaker 2: So yeah, actually I would say just from the hospital, yes, just because like I was saying earlier, like the hospital's closed, well, the pathology department is closed on Christmas Day. Well, in the hospitals that I've worked at anyway, they're starting to open the more every day, but like Christmas Day and just you know, the normal holidays fourth of July. And actually the worst time I ever had was during a Memorial Day. We because we were closed, you know for Christmas. Well this year, Christmas falls on Monday, right, so that could happen too. It's like the three day in a row, so you have Monday, Tuesday, and the Memorial Days like Monday, and we like were running out of room in the morgue that they had to bring the bodies to another hospital to put it in the morgue because it was full.
Speaker 3: What's your pet peeve?
Speaker 2: I feel like I have so many pet peeves that like way more than the average person of just like things that get all my nerves. I guess you would say, I don't really, I don't know, do you Can you think of a specific one.
Speaker 3: That for me a big problem. I just thought of one is when like I I'm talking to somebody and they're clearly not listening to me, and then I know it's going to come back that they weren't listening to me, and then I get super annoyed because I'm like, I just said this and I'm not repeating myself again. Yeah, clearly you don't have children yet, because that's that's like the story of my life. Ever, with kids, you have more patience with it. When you're talking to a full grown adult about something, you expect that they're like not gonna blow you off.
Speaker 2: So one thing, one pet peeve I have is that people do this like weird thing, and I've noticed it with people, people that have children and people that have animals that they like come really close to you in a store and they start talking loud to either their child or their animal because they want you to like look at them or pay attention to them or something. I don't know. It just drives me nuts. Like I was in home depot recently looking in the plant section and this lady is walking around with a huge dog, which I'm just kind of like, why do you need to bring one hundred pound dog in the home depot Anyway, That's like side note, and she's like, oh, let's go over here, let's look at these plants here. Would you like this in the house? And I'm like, you're fucking talking to a dog right now in home depot. And on top of that, like I don't like she kept like getting close to me, and I'm like, I don't want to pet your dog and engage with you right now. People do it with little kids too, and like we Gabe and I were at a diner recently, and when I'm out without the kids, like, I don't want to be bothered by other people's kids because I have my own kids all the time. And this like five year olds kept on coming over to the table, and the parents were just letting the kid come over, and I'm like, dude, I don't okay, Hi, your kid's cute. Get away, all right, that's a little kareny. But on the time, I'm Karen, what do you want to say?
Speaker 3: We'll wrap it up with what is the weirdest foreign object you found in a person excluding anal or vaginal cavities? I don't even know if you could say.
Speaker 2: Well, one time I was cleaning out of colon on a lady that had a bowel obstruction, and she had to get She got her entire colon cut out for a bowel obstruction. So all I do is get this colon in a bucket that's full of shit. I don't know what the bowl obstruction is, but she was in a nursing home and she was like in her eighties, so I like, I assume she's got a tumor in there, right, and I open it up because we have to open it to clean the poop out as soon as possible. Is all the bacteria and the poop can like break down the lining of the colon, so we get it out as soon as possible this way because if the if the lining gets broken down by the bacteria, then the pathologist isn't going to be able to see anything under the microscope. So I'm cleaning it out and then I start just finding like crazy shit, like giant paper towels. And then I found like one of those like mesh bags that you would put like onions or oranges in, and I was like, oh hole. And then I found out that she was like she had Alzheimer's and she was like eating bags and paper towels, and that's what caused the ball obstruction. But that was a little I was like, what the fuck is this? So that's probably like non non vaginal, anal weirdest thing that I just so happened to find. No, actually I have another one too, But.
Speaker 3: I have too.
Speaker 2: I have another one, and then I have a story of one of my students. One time I got another small ball obstruction. It's like the one. Another pet peeve I have is that when you get a specimen from the surgical unit or something, they don't want to give you any information. They just put small ball obstruction. Okay, so I get this little It was like a cute little segment of small bell, and I opened it up and there was like a whole entire piece of broccoli. Like I don't even understand how a person not only swallowed it, but it went through their entire stomach and then into their small bell where it finally got launched. It was like a straight up huge head of broccoli. Another one, this is This is even better because the broccoli is like, not that interesting. This one's pretty interesting. One of my students got the same exact thing and opened it up and there was like a finely wrapped up one hundred dollars Bill in the small bell weird. Yeah, okay, all right.
Speaker 3: Well, thank you guys so much for your questions. If we didn't answer your question today, don't frip because on Fridays on the at Mother Nose Death Instagram, we post a little question so you could ask any question you have there and we will try our best to answer it on the next week's episode. So we hope you guys have a very good new year. Thank you for listening to us for the last couple of weeks. It's been an awesome start to the podcast and it's been really cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been having so much fun. We love the questions. We don't mind talking about our personal life. We're pretty open with even if you think we're Karen's whatever. But yeah, thank you so much for just for listening and everything. We appreciate it and we're glad that there's been so much interest in our show.
Speaker 3: Definitely, thank you guys. Happy New Year, Happy.
Speaker 2: New Year, Thank you for listening to Mother nos Death. As a reminder, my training is as a pathologist assistant. I have a master's level education and specialize in anatomy and pathology education. I am not a doctor and I have not diagnosed or treated anyone dead or alive without the assistance of a life since medical doctor. This show, my website, and social media accounts are designed to educate and inform people based on my experience working in pathology, so they can make healthier decisions regarding their life and well being. Always remember that science is changing every day and the opinions expressed in this episode are based on my knowledge of those subjects at the time of publication. If you are having a medical problem, have a medical question, or having a medical emergency, please contact your physician or visit an urgent care center, emergency room, or hospital. Please rate, review, and subscribe to Mother Knows Death on Apple, Spotify, YouTube, or anywhere you get podcasts. Thanks