Speaker 1: If a rattlesnake bites me, will I die?
Speaker 2: Yeah? About one chance in the US, so it would be good.
Speaker 1: I should be good. How long do I have to do? I need to get medical attention.
Speaker 3: You should.
Speaker 1: Tasha Tosh Show, Welcome to Toss Show. Happy belated birthday to me, to Eddie, thank you to Pete. All three of us had our birthday this past week. Now. Pete had a big fancy party in Beverly Hills. Tons of people showed up, who's who of who gives the fuck? And then Eddie did the proper thing. I just just didn't bring it up at all.
Speaker 2: He just.
Speaker 1: As soon as my birthday comes, I'm like, oh fuck, I forgot to say happy birthday to Eddie. That's how I know it's Eddie's birthday. Now for me, For what did I do for my birthday? I had a party from eleven to one lunchtime on a Wednesday. Rented out the BMX track up in came Rio. And if you've ever been to Camerio, it's it's It's where all the outlet stores are. So it's just a good day all around. We rent out the BMX track so that my son and I could race each other all day, well for two hours. It's really really it's a lot of fun. And invited some of his friends, made them all skip school, and they're preschool you know, really, there's no attendance. It's not like you're skipping anything important. And so I raced a bunch of five year olds. What's funny is one of the dads there, you know, he brought his bike and he raced too, and he's like, Oh, it's really selfless of you to have like a birthday party, but really make it for the kids. And I was like, yeah, I didn't. I wasn't doing this for myself, you maniac. My friend Danny was there. He's old as shit too, forty eight years old. He fell, got hurt, went off a jump, flew backwards off the back of the bike, landing on his back, and I just looked at him, like, what what do you doing? We're not supposed to be going hard. He was like, trying to set a new track record. I'm riding around like in this this retro BMX bike that has like beach cruiser tires on it and barely getting that thing in the air. But it's fun. Oh, it's a lot of fun. Now. Then my son he had one fall and then shortly after that he started screaming because he had to go go potty and he knew his penis was burning. And I'm like, oh, I've been there. No, but he, uh, you know, got some soap in it, probably the night before, and we didn't wash it out. That's on us, and so he had to go through that pain. It's kind of a rite of passage for children not to get soap in the eye of your dingling. And that stinks because then the next pe he knows that it's gonna hurt, so he's just in full breakdown mode before the pe gets there. Oh whatever. I was like, we'll get this taken care of. We had about three or four painful peas. Now he's back on track. The funny thing was when I dropped him off at preschool this morning, I was like, I was like, oh, I need to talk to one of his teachers, and she's like, oh, she's inside. I'll get her. I'm like, yeah, you know what, I'll just tell you. Then you tell her. So now it's I'm like, so, so, he got soap in his penis like a day and a half ago, and it burns a little bit when he peas, and so now when he has to go pee, he gets a little worked up thinking that it might hurt. But it doesn't hurt much at all anymore. It's done, and she's like, oh, she's just staring at me, like, okay, I'll pass that on. And then another their father was right there at drop off, and he overheard. He goes, oh, yeah, that's that's a tough one. You know, these are things that you do. I enjoy it though, just all the silliness of parenthood. It's like, yeah, well, speaking of speaking of snakes, Eddie, you don't like snakes? Do you don't like them? Are you afraid of them? Yep? Yeah, I'm afraid of them too, no interest, no interest in learning about them. I appreciate what they do for us, which I'm guessing is important for the whole ecosystem. But I have no idea what but today's guest, Oh, she she's like Steve Irwin. If Steve Irwin, we're still live and a woman and five two covered in tattoos, barely one hundred pounds. But the point is they both deal with dangerous animals. Enjoy psh yea my guest today is built quite the Instagram following by wrangling goddamn rattlesnakes all over the deserts of southern California. Please welcome Danielle aka High Desert Danny.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Do you want me to call you Danielle? Do you want me to call you Danny, Danielle, Danielle.
Speaker 2: I know, I literally pronounced my own name wrong, but it's Danielle. But everyone's like Danielle. I'm like, you say it like Danielle, say like Danielle, like.
Speaker 1: French almost Danielle. What about Danielle? You like Daniella or No.
Speaker 2: I was supposed to be Daniella, and then my mom wanted us to have more white names instead of that's what I heard.
Speaker 3: I was supposed to be white.
Speaker 2: Because like, you know, her last name is Pantanita Italian and like, yeah, the spelling and all of that, and she's like, no, it is Danielle.
Speaker 1: Wall You're are you pure one hundred percent Italian?
Speaker 2: No, just my mom. She's the Italian one full Italian. But my dad's whitey Ah, he.
Speaker 1: Must appreciate all the ink.
Speaker 3: Oh, he absolutely azing.
Speaker 2: Oh I don't think I think he's probably he was my biggest hater, biggest hater tattoos.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now classic dads.
Speaker 1: That's good. So you have a relationship with your.
Speaker 2: Father, Oh yeah, I mean I had a kid, you know, and said, suck it up, dad.
Speaker 1: That's nice. Okay, because you see a lot of tattoos, some people might think, oh, she probably doesn't know who father is. But you're saying it's right there, I got it, he's around. Do you believe in ghost.
Speaker 2: Danielle, Yes, I actually believe my house is haunted by my great grandmother.
Speaker 1: Did your great grandmother ever live in this house?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: And my grandma, and we've had two grandmas pass away in that house.
Speaker 3: I've heard things, seen things.
Speaker 2: Where I was a skeptic, until you see things and hear things, you cannot.
Speaker 1: Explain, Well, what did you see?
Speaker 2: I have seen like the shadowy figure go through the house multiple times.
Speaker 1: A shadow the figure itself.
Speaker 2: No, but I've had like a remote fly across the room, a remote control for like a TV.
Speaker 1: I mean, I feel like this is the hard evidence I was looking for.
Speaker 2: My name has been called once and I realized I was in the house by myself. But I responded, I was like yeah, and then I frozed.
Speaker 1: I've done that though, maybe I half fell asleep and you just.
Speaker 3: Like was vacuuming.
Speaker 1: Oh, you vacuum in your sleep all the time.
Speaker 3: It's the only time I can get things done.
Speaker 1: You live out in Joshua Tree.
Speaker 3: Lander's proper, but it's all you know, high desert. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Do you enjoy that world out there?
Speaker 3: I love it so much.
Speaker 2: I grew up in the Bay Area, and I will take the desolate desert away from people any day.
Speaker 1: Why is that any day?
Speaker 3: What do you mean? It took me four hours to get here with this La traffic.
Speaker 1: It was insane, right, But if you're here, you don't have to go four hours.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh I was getting here. There you go. Only you got me here, Tash, only you.
Speaker 1: It's very nice.
Speaker 2: And Tony Danza, I came here a few months ago because mister Tony Danza my heart hold on, give.
Speaker 3: Me a second.
Speaker 2: And he was supposed to play Pump Spranks, but his show got canceled.
Speaker 3: He played jazz and he does comedy. Get brilliant.
Speaker 1: No, he does not have comedy.
Speaker 2: He is a whole like to stand up that he's beautiful, saying he's so just his whole personalities. You gotta hit up Tony man. It was one of the best shows. I was the youngest one in the entire.
Speaker 1: Room by what by fifty years a lot.
Speaker 2: And I was wearing the skimpiest low cut dress I could. I dressed to the knives and and I, oh man, it was the spies.
Speaker 3: I got a picture with him and a smoochie on the cheek. It was a great that's a salt?
Speaker 1: Did you? Did you know?
Speaker 3: I kissed him? He could be it was, yeah, you assaulted, Tony? I did.
Speaker 1: Are you married?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: But I've been married twice. Really, I know the men keep proposing.
Speaker 1: I just turned thirty, congratulations, think you does that feel like a milestone or no?
Speaker 2: You know, I still feel just like an eighty year old on the inside, just like like living to go to bed and staying at home watching the Golden Girules.
Speaker 1: You know, I feel like I'm interviewing a character that Amy said, Daris is doing. When did you? When did you move down here?
Speaker 3: Twy fifteen going on nine years now?
Speaker 1: This is home forever.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, especially since I bought my great grandparents' house.
Speaker 1: So that was the reason that you moved down here with.
Speaker 2: My grandpa is still in Yuckle Valley, same area. He's eighty three golfs four days a week, you know, even in the summer. Oh yeah, no, itics how to catch snakes. He comes to all my educational things with me. And my grandma was around when I first moved down, but she passed away.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, life, you dropped out of college to pursue your current am I calling it a profession? It's your profession, yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I do the relocation for the snakes for free as a volunteer for the community. But I do I do like TV and film production. If there's ever a snake wrangler on set. You know, people film out here in the desert and I'm just precautionary.
Speaker 3: And I do education.
Speaker 2: I go to the schools, I teach people how to catch them and just you know, wildlife conservation. So I make money on snaw That is my full time work.
Speaker 1: Are you're a snake expert, then.
Speaker 2: I'm a rattlesnake relocation expert so to speak.
Speaker 1: How often are you relocating a rattlesnake?
Speaker 3: Oh? Every day.
Speaker 2: I was literally still in the desert moving a rattlesnake past eleven o'clock last night.
Speaker 1: When you relocate a snake, how far are you relocating it or its relocating? Just code from a chopp its head off as soon as they get out in.
Speaker 3: Oh, absolutely not.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's that's why I started doing it, because animal control does kill them, and like they do, the state doesn't protect this apex predator.
Speaker 3: So I said, if I have to do this for free, I'll do it for free. I don't care. It's essentially a.
Speaker 2: Half mile past the last occupied property, but ideally no more than two miles for their survival. Raakes, rattlesnakes don't move as much as people think so in the desert.
Speaker 1: So you don't bring them to the same spot and just don't know.
Speaker 2: They're all within essentially like a two mile circle somewhere in equal terrain.
Speaker 1: What's the largest rattlesnake you've ever had to relocate?
Speaker 3: It was about five foot Even I.
Speaker 1: Don't know how big a rattlesnakes get yeth for us out here.
Speaker 2: I mean, it would be pretty rare to see a rattlesnake over five feet in California. It's those are like the goliaths. But you know Texas, you'll you'll get six footers. East coast, you'll get eight footers.
Speaker 1: I've never liked snakes, and I don't think I'm ever going to like them. I'm an animal lover, but there's a lot of animals I'm like, eh, I could do without that animal.
Speaker 3: So it's my goats.
Speaker 2: But I always say I'm not trying to convince people to like them, just like respect what they need to do on the planet.
Speaker 1: But rattlesnakes don't do anything good for the environment.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Rodent control man, yeah, I mean after all the road.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like the rodent poisons though, you know, killed off a lot of birds of prey and a lot of apex predators and so we got.
Speaker 1: Wait, how can apex predator be killed rat poison?
Speaker 2: Of the poisons in the rat the owl apex anymore? Like literally they're like explode.
Speaker 1: It's like with the owls explode.
Speaker 2: Like the animals that have the rodent poison in them, and it like creates all this bleeding.
Speaker 3: It's it's really gnarly way to go.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing. I'm gonna tell you something. I put an owl box up in my property so that the owls could kill the rodents. But they don't do a good enough job.
Speaker 3: Beca's just not enough.
Speaker 2: The rodent populations in the last like twenty years, you know, they're going like this while all of our you know, their predators are going like this because people keep killing them, all right, and you know the snakes you know, obviously don't eat as much as the birds do. So yeah, the owls and like the hawks, the hawks taking a big hit from like the decades worth of rodent poison. And it's been outlawed in California now, but it's still like the coagulatory one that's bitching though about.
Speaker 3: The owl box.
Speaker 2: I tell people, like they ask me all the time, how can I prevent snakes? Like you got to prevent the rats, Like, you know, you don't have a snake problem, you got wrap problem. Put an owl box up, and you know this, the owls will eat the snakes too, So the owl the snakes don't want to stick around an owl either.
Speaker 1: I got a canyon in my back My property backs against and I've got a lot of tall grass that my kids play.
Speaker 3: In, So you have a snake caven is what I hear?
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: So I should just be terrified every time.
Speaker 3: The tall grasses.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I tell that to people all the time, like even when the kids are like hiking up in the rocks and stuff like that, Like you they are there.
Speaker 3: I have the snake in my two snakes.
Speaker 1: I don't want your snakes out.
Speaker 3: Oh, but I can show you the one that to look out for. That that's down here.
Speaker 1: You brought a rattlesnake, I did Dan.
Speaker 3: His name is Warf.
Speaker 1: Is he a therapy snake?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: But they're all my emotional supporting animal.
Speaker 1: Uh huh. I'm not afraid to admit how how terrified I am of snakes. Oh yeah, you know why I'm snakes. It's not my fault.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 1: It's primal, right, the the Bible did it to us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, damn Bibles. But it's your nervous system to like have a reaction when you see a snake.
Speaker 1: You see you see a dog's face and you want to get your face right in there.
Speaker 2: And just raw. But have you seen a baby rattlesnake? The same thing, just you put your face in a baby. But you Oh, I love them now, yeah, like you don't as a pet.
Speaker 3: You have you see my stuff online? I've seen some of it, Like, yeah, I got the rattlesnake crawling up me.
Speaker 1: I get and you enjoy that.
Speaker 2: I like the thrill, and I like to show that these aren't like the insane creatures that people think they are.
Speaker 3: Is it safe, Absolutely not. But it's not like you know, I thought you.
Speaker 1: Were gonna say it was safe. No, they don't love you.
Speaker 2: But you know, driving to LA in one day is statistically more deadly than me holding a rattlesnakes What.
Speaker 1: About forget deadly? But just like getting the willies?
Speaker 2: Like it. After three years, I stopped getting any willies. So over the years I've gotten better at not being afraid of heights and my claustrophobia and because I like will crawl under houses I've been in.
Speaker 1: You have claustrophobia.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Like in the beginning, I was like, okay, well I got to get a snake at the other end of this manufactured home and I'm crawling, you know, with no room above me, and I'm freaking out more about being underneath the house in a very enclosed space with spiders everywhere, rats.
Speaker 1: Where, rats bother you no all give me the willies.
Speaker 2: I mean in that time, like it was just the claus phobia part, but I just focused on the snake.
Speaker 3: I'm like, you got this. You can't panic. You're the snake wrangle, you got you a tough bitch.
Speaker 1: You don't have you know you don't have.
Speaker 3: Someone's got it, Daniel.
Speaker 1: How do you catch them? Use a flute?
Speaker 2: Yes, a clarinet actually, actually I do. I play the clarinet since I was eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, deal, I know. I got my my beetles like score book is.
Speaker 2: My beatlescart j I remember him, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: But I just mainly I use like a hook essentially, just like scoop.
Speaker 1: How long is the hook?
Speaker 3: Two feet?
Speaker 1: Well? Why is it too? Why when I get on this four feet?
Speaker 2: I started at four feet? But the longer it is like you have a delay and you know the tip of that hook and all of that. So like the shorter it is, it's just faster.
Speaker 1: That's that's what I tell my wife.
Speaker 3: You see winning all around.
Speaker 1: Were you ever afraid of snakes?
Speaker 2: Oh? Yeah, I said, I faked it till I became it. In the beginning, I knew I wanted to help the animal, but I was from the city. I had never seen a rattlesnake, and I saw one on the road and I poked it with a stick and it like just took off, And I'm like, wellll are going to be men, do we?
Speaker 1: What are you supposed to do? How are you supposed to You're supposed to use a hook? But if you don't have a hook, would you grab your bare hand on one?
Speaker 3: I have many times?
Speaker 1: But now am I supposed to grab the tail of one?
Speaker 3: Ideally?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Like you know, I really don't grab it at all.
Speaker 1: But like what if my kid's right there and he's like like he looks like he's in attack mode?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, realistically, you'd be easier, like you grab the kid away from the snake, because like the chance of you actually grabbing the head where you need to and not being bit in. I mean, you're ninety nine percent of the time you're gonna get.
Speaker 1: Grab a tail and do that, throw it or do a dive in front of it that seems heroically very you ever just throw it over a neighbor's fences like your problem? Now? No?
Speaker 2: I get that joke a lot, though. Can you put this snake in someone's mailbox? Which funny enough? I mean funny enough someone I don't know if you saw it but in twenty nine palms out past Joshua Tree, someone was mailed a live rattlesnake male mail that came in the mail and he got one at his Florida address to they don't.
Speaker 1: Know what a dick? What did this guy do?
Speaker 2: I'm really eager to find out, like who gets sent a live rattlesnake like that?
Speaker 1: And who what company will ship a rattle snake? But also a testament to the company for getting that there as promised within twenty.
Speaker 3: Four hours it was alive.
Speaker 1: If a rattlesnake bites me, will I die?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: About one percent chance in the US. So it should be good.
Speaker 1: I should be good. How long do I have to do? I need to get medical attention?
Speaker 3: You should?
Speaker 2: I mean more people were bitten in like the southern California area near the coast, because there's a lot of terrain that you can't see under a lot of snakes. But realistically everyone is close close to a hospital, So you get to a hospital, the doctors are then how ideally just as quickly as you can.
Speaker 1: The more time it's like like thirty minutes or an hour. What do I got?
Speaker 2: I couldn't even tell if it's a baby rattlesnake where there's only one teeny drop of venom, you could have hours before you're suffering. But if you get a big ass rattlesnake and it chomps, anya, I mean you could be, you know, unconscious in thirty minutes potentially.
Speaker 1: What about my kid? What about like a baby gets like.
Speaker 2: The smaller the animal or child anything like the less weight to process the venom. Yeah, you'll go down faster, like I statistically would suffer harder than you would.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what do you weigh?
Speaker 3: Probably about hundred pounds, one hundred pounds all?
Speaker 1: Are you five? Two? Five to two hundred pounds?
Speaker 2: Ye?
Speaker 1: You last thirty minutes getting bid by a big rattlesnake.
Speaker 2: Probably, But I'd be suffering to the point where, like I probably couldn't.
Speaker 3: Help myself any suffering.
Speaker 1: Like what happens.
Speaker 2: Your hand's gonna blow up, Like it's just the swelling is gonna be really gnarly looking.
Speaker 3: The bite site's probably gonna start dying off a little. Some of the tissue. This swelling can go all the way up.
Speaker 2: Your nerves will be damaged, potentially perman sometimes depending on the snake. Yeah, I've never been bitten, So I'm not saying this You've never been rattle dude.
Speaker 3: I do have been doing this for six years. The easiest should have ever done.
Speaker 2: It's better than eaties on the bartending, easier than tutoring children when I did that through the school district.
Speaker 3: Snakes are so easy.
Speaker 1: How would how long would Carl survive if he got bit? How long?
Speaker 2: I mean he's a slightly bigger dog. You did a lot of dogs over fifty pounds with the standard sized snakes only forty forty five, I mean still fifty fifty to fifty.
Speaker 3: He makes it just depending on the size of the snake.
Speaker 1: Like, do you take him somewhere to do it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's vet.
Speaker 1: I shouldn't suck on it at all and spit. That's not a thing. No, sucking and spitting is not a thing on.
Speaker 3: Any snake venom, not on that kind of snake.
Speaker 1: Because sometimes I see signs up at this one vet near my place that's like, get your anti vas rattlesnake for your dogs right now it's rattlesnake season. Is that that doesn't help?
Speaker 2: No, The venom doctors like across the US are pretty agreement that like it's not actually there's no actual true science behind that. It either helps it all doesn't really buy time. And there's been studies done about like anaphylactic shock and dogs after being bitten when that vaccine.
Speaker 3: Is in them.
Speaker 2: Okay, but you know, you see it where you know if they can make money off of things.
Speaker 3: But I would say, do your research.
Speaker 1: I don't do research, but.
Speaker 3: People do your research that I might do.
Speaker 1: So how do you make money if you're not allowed to charge people for relocating these snakes? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean I'm a donation based service, but I'm in the red every.
Speaker 3: Year pocket Oh yeah, how much you going out of one?
Speaker 2: One year, I had to take out a personal loan for like six thousand to keep it going. And but I just, you know, it's just about the animals. So I've always kind of made it work. But I got lucky when I moved out to the desert. It was cheap and I bought a house and I sold it when COVID happened and prices skyrocketed, so I've had good opportunity.
Speaker 3: And then I was able to buy family property.
Speaker 1: Did you know the prices we're gonna skyrocket during Now?
Speaker 2: I was just excited that I thought the Zillo ads were fake. I'm like, one hundred thousand dollars for this house. There's no freaking way, and there was freaking way.
Speaker 1: I know California has cheap real estate, you just got to know where to look.
Speaker 3: That was what got me to move down there from San Francisco.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like I called my grandpa and I was like, Grandpa got six days before I got to renew my lease in the Sunset District in San Francisco, So I'm miserable.
Speaker 3: What's it like living down there? He said, cheap?
Speaker 2: I'll see him six days. He was like, okay, believe that when I see it. And I sold everything and I.
Speaker 3: Just moved in.
Speaker 1: Could you tell me how much people will donate to you for removing these things?
Speaker 3: On average, twenty to forty books.
Speaker 1: You know how much I would pay to get rid of rattlesnake from my yard. I'm not bullying.
Speaker 2: I'd love to charge, but then I will literally get those properties out there that I see on you know, Airbnb making ten grand a weekend and I get called for a snake and they don't even give you five bucks for gas, and then it's literally the people and dilapidated homes, trying to give me a fifty like literally a couple of days ago. This guy, I go there to his house and he has a couple like maybe eighty bucks in his hand.
Speaker 3: Fuck you know, because this is all I got.
Speaker 2: You know, what do you charge? I? Oh, I don't charge. Actually, I'm a donation based service for six years. YadA, YadA. He takes out one twenty, hands it to me and pockets the rest. And I mean, we're talking to guy's house, Daniel.
Speaker 1: Why would he show you eighty dollars.
Speaker 3: Because he thought I charged? He thought.
Speaker 1: You don't need to see it. That's a weird thing to display.
Speaker 3: This guy's it happened.
Speaker 1: It happened, I believe you. I just think he's an idiot.
Speaker 2: Had a wife locked her husband in the shed so I could come get it because he wanted to kill it.
Speaker 1: And she didn't want it to die.
Speaker 2: So she told me I go get this shovel and then locked him in the shed. I was very uncomfortable on that call. I'm not gonna lie, very very uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: Am I allowed to kill a snake on my property?
Speaker 3: Legally?
Speaker 2: Yes, but for non venomous snakes you need a hunting license, fishing license technically, Daniel.
Speaker 1: Why, I'll tell you why. I'd ask because I don't think I'm allowed to kill a coyote on my property.
Speaker 3: No, Like, you can't kill the coyotes.
Speaker 2: The hawks, like everything else has some sort of formal protection around it.
Speaker 1: Trying to kill my pets pretty much, I'm.
Speaker 2: Not, and I'm like actually trying to. Like, when a snake and a dog interact, it's not because they really want to. You know, the snake's not ever attacking anyone. Well, yeah, hungry, Well he's not gonna eat your forty pounds.
Speaker 1: I get o. But I got a nine pound dog.
Speaker 2: You know, unless you're in like floor chickens, pythons, I got chickens. Even my biggest native snake pantied a chicken in the desert.
Speaker 3: They don't get that big.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing with like a coyote is they say you're allowed to kill them if they're going at like one of your your family, a human. So you just have to lie and say that he was he was charging me, and then plant a weapon on him or something like that. This is what I've learned. They also say, if you want to get rid of coyotes because I have them just in my property all the time. They say that you should kill one of them. This is what I was told. You should kill coyote and then hang it on your post, like on your fence. That's the only way that other coyotes won't come to the property is if there's a carcass of a coyote hanging there.
Speaker 3: I feel like they would eat it. Wouldn't they just eat it.
Speaker 1: I don't have no idea. I'm not doing any of that.
Speaker 3: I feel like they would just eat it.
Speaker 1: You don't else. I had my property one time, never only seen it one time, and I think he was crazy blackbir weasel, Oh a real, real a weasel, going crazy at my chickens, running up to their coops, standing up. Do you know that weasels kill because they enjoy killing. They don't even eat. They'll kill all your chickens and just pile them up, and they just enjoy it. He ran to my door, like my glass door, and was just standing there trying to get my house. Scary I did, though.
Speaker 2: I got called for a snake once and his lady at a car parked and it had been there for a while. And she goes, oh, I dug a hole underneath the car, and I go, snakes don't ting holes. So I look under the car. It's a small car and there's a mount of dirt that goes all the way up underneath, like.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, nothing.
Speaker 4: So I'm like, what the hell?
Speaker 2: So I go on my truck, I get my shovel, I start. I'm like, I'm curious, what the hell dug this? And I see this little nose like something come up. I'm like, what is this? It was a freaking badger. I didn't even know they were out there, but yeah, I've heard that. You know if you get in their space.
Speaker 1: You know, though you were right in their space.
Speaker 2: I was literally in its space, laying down next to it, and it looked at me, and I looked at it and I didn't even process what it was before my body like went hurtling out from under the car and I said, I can't deal with this.
Speaker 1: No, what if she was going to donate eighty dollars only she did out the twenty? What about you ever messed with that king Cobra? Oh no, I hear like.
Speaker 2: Cobra handlers tell me that like rattlesnakes are physically more difficult to handle than a cobra because the cobras can be so long and it's a lot more meat to deal with.
Speaker 1: I just like they did a spitting thing that seems kind of.
Speaker 3: Curious, like ten feet.
Speaker 1: They're accurate to ten feet.
Speaker 2: And it's like six to ten feet accuracy might even be longer. I gotta remember my Steve Irwin episode on the Spitting Pooper.
Speaker 1: Have you ever been to a snake church? Mm?
Speaker 3: But isn't that the most insane ship you've ever seen?
Speaker 1: When they get bit I just love it.
Speaker 2: I hate to say sometime like karma is karma. You know you're gonna fling a venomous snake around your face? What do you think I'm not flinging the rattlesnake around me?
Speaker 1: Well, it won't bite. If if, the if, the energy and God is for the most part true, I don't know what they do.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like if a bear was holding you and you're terrified, You're not just gonna punch the bear in the face, because then the.
Speaker 3: Bear might bears. No, I mean, i'd you know, the whole bear thing. I choose the bear. Yeah, I choose the bear I like.
Speaker 1: I like bear. That's the thing with bears, though, it's pretty simple with bears. Two types of bears. Uh, you know, California, you got your black bears, make a ton of noise, scream, they get they'll they'll go brown bear, Uh, play dead, pray you don't die, right, I don't know? Or is brown bear fight I don't grizzly grizzly? Yeah, right, there's no more grizzlies in California. I'm That's what I'm saying. There's only black bears in California. You could fight a black bear. You could fight a black bear. Run anyway. See, I thought it was simple with bears. But snakes, snakes, that's I think that's where my part of my fear is just not having uh the knowledge to know what's venomous, what's poisonous or not.
Speaker 3: I mean, obviously the number one thing is does it have a rattle or not?
Speaker 1: Okay, that that I could figure out there besides rattlesnakes, What do I need to worry about?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's it. Just rattlesnakes.
Speaker 2: That's the only medically significant snake in California that would like truly send you to the hospital with needing like medical attention.
Speaker 3: Really, that's it.
Speaker 2: Huh Yeah, we're not only a lot of the other places where you know, Australia they got like the top ten venomous snakes all right there.
Speaker 1: You ever go down to Australia, No, but I would love to. I don't love it that much.
Speaker 3: I just want to see the snakes.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I guess where's the weirdest place you've had to find? Like, where's the weirdest place somebody's called you and said, hey, there's a snake here everywhere inside the house.
Speaker 3: At two years.
Speaker 2: Ago, I had a rattlesnake in a kitchen and a bedroom. I've gotten to them. I mean in people's bathrooms, just everywhere on a property. You can imagine you ever found a snake and a toilet one one, but it didn't come out from the toilet. It w Yeah, it was in her bathroom and it's just when I got there it had happened to like be on the seat with part of it in toilet.
Speaker 1: Do you ever cut the head off a trouser snake? That's right? You don't. You own a few properties managed, you're like your own little property manager. For some airbnbs, Yes, yay, I managed too for my friends. What's scarier, snakes or short term runners?
Speaker 3: Short term runners?
Speaker 2: I ran an Airbnb at my little guest house for two years and Lord half Mercy never again.
Speaker 1: So they were on your property?
Speaker 3: Yeah, uh huh so yeah, I'll never go back to that.
Speaker 2: But I have a long term rental in one of my in my smaller house, so that also subsidizes a lot of my bills.
Speaker 1: Joshua Tree, is it one of these towns where the locals can't afford to live there anymore because it's gotten so popular.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in like the last three years, that's exactly what happened. And like the apartment I first rented before about my house was five hundred bucks. Now it's like fifteen hundred and still the same shitty little apartment. I've never been to josh Fall Airbnbs.
Speaker 1: Well that's the thing I like. I like that there's a lot of beautiful places in calibern that I haven't been yet.
Speaker 3: Close.
Speaker 1: Well, I know I'm not in a hurry. I'll get there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Snake Wineling, I'm not going to do.
Speaker 1: That real, No, I won't. We will talk about your pets, how many pets do you have, Oh.
Speaker 2: Lord, off the top of my head, thirty five, thirty thirty five, Okay, we're in there.
Speaker 1: If you don't count the snails, I don't count snails.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got a lot of those.
Speaker 1: The problem I have with pets is that I get really attached and deaths wipe me out. But you have so many pets, you're probably having constant funerals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And just like dealing with being an animal rescue, especially wildlife, like I'm a bit numb.
Speaker 1: To it now. Does that make you not love animals as much when you see how fast the turnover is?
Speaker 2: Sometimes Yeah, you kind of have to detach yourself a little bit. And it can be a little easier when it comes to like, you know, a snake that you're trying to save and you're not like, you know, like when I've had to put my dogs down when I did pit rescue, and so yeah, I kind of have to compartmentalize a lot of the emotion of what I do.
Speaker 1: How do you go anywhere when I mean, like I leave two dogs and some chickens, it's just an ordeal to find someone capable. How many sitters do you have to get for all these critters.
Speaker 2: I mean today, I have three different people going over to my house today, so I can be gone from four am to seven pm, and so short answers, I don't leave, you can't pretty much don't. Yeah, I have trusted people. It's just it ends up being more work to try to coordinate it all in the stress of leaving them.
Speaker 1: Are you ever downsizing the amount of animals that live under your roof or is that just always going up?
Speaker 2: It fluctuates because I take in fosters. But I have like my permanent zoo where I'm not adding anymore. Like I have a five foot iguana, it's actually like five foot two, Like you guys have fifteen foot custom welded enclosure in my house. And yeah, you got a not a well, I'm kind of My ex boyfriend was a professional.
Speaker 3: Welder and he's still to this day he's like he's still good.
Speaker 2: Weldne Yeah, and he still fixes my truck for me.
Speaker 3: He's not a bad guy. Still helps me a lot. That's good, very handy.
Speaker 1: But he did dump you.
Speaker 2: He did dump me, Yes, I mean our lives. You know, I'm kind of I'm me look.
Speaker 1: At this, and he knew what he knew what he was getting into. This isn't brand new, no, but it definitely got worse.
Speaker 3: I mean, I definitely got worse.
Speaker 1: When you meet a random fella and you're interested, like how how and they don't know that your whole world. How quickly do you have to be like, hey, by the way, I have a reptile room.
Speaker 2: Well, I just got dumped in December after five years, so I haven't been in the dating We're all good, look at me now. But I've been asked out by one person and he didn't know who I was, surprisingly because in my community, literally everyone knows me.
Speaker 3: I'm just sustaining.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you kind of stick out.
Speaker 3: And I stick out. So but he, you know, we exchanged numbers. I thought maybe you know, he's cute.
Speaker 2: But anyway, he found my social media and then after like talking to me for maybe like three hours. After that, he goes, your job is just too wild. Your life just looks too crazy. I'm like, all I heard was your a little bitch.
Speaker 1: That's all I heard.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, I'm tough.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've I've called off relationships when I found out they had a cat.
Speaker 3: I have four. But here's my bedroom.
Speaker 1: Here's here's my thing with why I There is one girl out there that to this day probably has no idea why our relationship stopped, and it really was because she has a cat. Now here's the thing. I love animals. I'm really really allergic to.
Speaker 3: Cats, understandable.
Speaker 1: So instead of saying, hey, you have to get rid of this cat because I can't be a part of your life, I just ended it because what I what would upset me more is me having this conversation and then her saying, oh, I'll get rid of the cat, and then well, then I don't like you anyway because you're that kind of person.
Speaker 2: That's an impossible situation, exactly like your call on that.
Speaker 1: I just walked away. So it's just not meant for me. I just keep thinking about, though, how much better my life would be now, kind of just taking clariton. You saw me at a show. You came to one of my shows a long long time ago. How old were you when you came to my show two? Well, no, I was just making sure you're old enough to Oh yeah, it wasn't like you were like sneaking. Do you like casinos out there in the desert that you can smoke inside. Do you smoke cigarettes occasionally? How how often are you gonna quit?
Speaker 2: I used to be a packet a smoker for a long time, but now it's more like a like. I don't drink, so it's kind of like my cocktail, so to.
Speaker 1: Speak, as long as you have some way to justify it exactly. I have some gifts for you.
Speaker 3: Oh lord.
Speaker 1: I stole some denim from my wife's closet so that you would cover up your legs.
Speaker 3: And then this is my denim that's actually my size.
Speaker 1: Yeah it works, she's small. And then that's my denim that's big. But you just wrap yourself up in that and cover yourself up.
Speaker 3: I'll frame them. I'm thinking above the fireplace.
Speaker 1: This is my first comedy album up Dan, y'all, that's my first comedy. I've never hung any of these things up. These things are embarrassing.
Speaker 3: No, it's not. It's fabulous.
Speaker 1: Somebody gave me a lighter and I don't I don't ever have a lighter. I don't even know how to fill a lighter. Yep, I don't know how to fill it. So I junk and I figured you needed flashlights.
Speaker 3: And I don't use always.
Speaker 2: I could always use another truck flashlight.
Speaker 1: Actually get one, so learn too.
Speaker 2: You'll give me crap because I end up using my damn phone half the time because for some reason I can never keep it.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't know why anyone would use a flash because the phone works fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but sometimes no.
Speaker 1: This is good for me, right.
Speaker 3: Right, I carry on me.
Speaker 1: Get those off my table. You've got a good relationship with the local sheriffs out there, firefighters, good relationship. Not so good with the fish and wildlife in animal control. Why is there a fish department out in the desert anyway.
Speaker 3: It's all encompassing.
Speaker 1: Oh got it.
Speaker 2: I do make them look bad because I do their job for free, and I don't get health benefits about the fish and wildlife and animal control, it's all encompassing of like doing more education and promoting these animals.
Speaker 1: But they don't like you because why I'm.
Speaker 2: A flashy bitch, Daniel, look at me, and and so I go out there, I'm holding the snakes. They're just like they just want to shut my ship down, okay, and they have for a long time. But at the same time, I follow all the league legality. You know, I do things right you know, I just I make them look real bad. I say, hey, if I can do it for free, why are you guys getting paid daily and you just go and kill it?
Speaker 3: You know, it just makes no sense.
Speaker 2: And so essentially that's another reason why I wanted to get put myself back out there and put pressure on them so we can change these laws so people can't just be chopping them up. And you know, animal control should not be killing an apex predator.
Speaker 1: Have they tried to get you in trouble for what you're doing?
Speaker 3: Oh? Yeah, oh absolutely.
Speaker 2: You should have seen one year these people kept you know, it's like random text constantly of can I buy this snake? Or you know, trying to get me to like, you know, catch me in something.
Speaker 1: Who gave out your number? Oh?
Speaker 2: My numbers literally everywhere you can, like you if you just google, you know, snake Wrangler High Desert.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's all me.
Speaker 1: So, but what are you doing to make sure that some creep isn't invited need to their guest house to be on their podcast?
Speaker 3: Oh? That is like literally the ultimate fear of mine.
Speaker 1: It should it is.
Speaker 2: It is a very terrifying thing, especially being who I am. How all of it and but there are multiple people that track me on every call. If I'm not heard from in an hour, you know, please will be called YadA YadA.
Speaker 1: Like we've been going for forty three minutes? Do we need to this?
Speaker 3: My grandpattracts me the whole way here.
Speaker 1: Yes, was he complaining about the traffic.
Speaker 3: He did call me.
Speaker 2: He goes, you're not moving and I'm like, yeah, there's another freaking accident. But he was.
Speaker 3: He's just you know, he's on his lazy boy. I'm sure watching golf on the TV.
Speaker 1: You know, you don't want Grandpa coming after you.
Speaker 2: No. He was a in search and rescue for twenty years and was a deputy sheriff. He's a brilliant shot. He's terrifying.
Speaker 1: I love him.
Speaker 3: Know he could kick my ass any day.
Speaker 1: You know how to shoot a gun? Yeah? Very well? Yeah, very well, very well? What does what does very well mean mean? Does that mean you're a good shot or you can shoot any type of gun?
Speaker 2: U more of the good shot with the ones I have practiced with.
Speaker 1: Uh huh.
Speaker 2: But I've had fun with some of my friends when we we've gone out and I'm like, oh, you want me to try to hit that, oh, and try to hit that, and then I get the use a handgun.
Speaker 1: Oh. Man, I don't know why that seems scarier.
Speaker 3: I thought shotguns are kind of heavy and awkward.
Speaker 1: Huh. I don't know. I'm not a shooter.
Speaker 3: I'm not really surprised for some reason.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know why. I don't. I can't. I think aiming might be. The shirt has nothing to do with the shirt. You're kidding me.
Speaker 3: It's very.
Speaker 2: It's very I don't shoe guns a lot. That's that's what the shirt says to me.
Speaker 1: You want me tell you what the tattoos mean. I love to if someone gets one tattoo, I feel they really have to like, oh this means something to me. When you have a lot of tattoos, Do they do You're like, I don't care, just color me up? Or do you care about everything? People?
Speaker 3: I don't give two ships about what's on me.
Speaker 2: I kind of just want eighty percent of my skin gone, and uh, yeah, you want your skin gone? Huh.
Speaker 3: I like the look.
Speaker 1: Oh are you done with tattoos though?
Speaker 2: Oh no, absolutely not. I still have to finish my neck. I got just fill in the puzzle pieces. I got a few days left of tattooing you are.
Speaker 1: You don't tattoo any more of your head?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I woke up one morning and I was like, I'm gonna stick a snake on the side of my face. It was kind of because my dad's like, just don't ever tattoo your face, and I said, well, I love your dad, but also don't say that shit, because that's what gets your kids to do things thing.
Speaker 1: You know, Well, that's done. My dad told me not to do heroin, and I was like, all right, that seems like good advice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, at this point, there's a freaking rattle snake on my neck. Who cares what I look like at this point?
Speaker 1: What about the back? Is your back done too?
Speaker 2: No, it's like pretty beare actually, because that's like the last big spot I have to actually maybe plan something that looks good instead of like my doodle board.
Speaker 1: What if you just gain a couple hundred pounds and then you get new areas.
Speaker 3: I was like, I was like one hundred and forty five pounds and I was like, nineteen, you're pregnant.
Speaker 2: No. I just like dated a guy that was a little hefty and we got in and out a lot, a lot, a lot. I think those Costco hot dogs dollars.
Speaker 1: Fifty dann y'all, where can people donate so you can continue to relocate deadly rattlesnakes and get tattoos.
Speaker 2: I mean, my everything's hooked up to my cell phone number with like PayPal z L. But if you look at High Desert Danny on anything, it's all that all right. But yeah, I don't have anything formal.
Speaker 3: It's a legality, you know.
Speaker 2: I'm working with a lawyer right now who's working on trying to get me a nonprofit status because if they know, like Big O' Tires is happy to sponsor me for tires every year, so like I could get it if I'm a tax right off for these people.
Speaker 1: Oh I never understood really the tax right off thing as.
Speaker 3: Much because its me so much.
Speaker 1: It doesn't you still have like you get a percentage off. It's not like it's just oh, it's a tax right off, so it doesn't matter. It too dumb to understand any of it.
Speaker 2: That's why there's a lawyer doing it. But he offered to do it on his own time and time, so that was very kind. He's just like, yeah, so he's just a big animal lover.
Speaker 1: That's nice. Not everybody's a piece of shit. Danielle, thanks for being on the show. I wish you all the best. I hope you can monetize all the good work that you do. Stay safe and try to get bit in the face.
Speaker 3: That's my goal. Yeah, thanks for having me, daniel big fan.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Pasha, Well, I want to thank Danielle for being on the show, and I also want to thank her for not bringing in the snakes inside the studio. That was worrying both Carl and I. Carl not a fan of snakes either, right, Carl, we don't like him. Eddie. You a big fan of carpet muncheon. Yeah, I know you are. I know you're I've been in hotel rooms with you. We've had a joining room and it just sounds like a weed whacker next door. They got a technique all night long. I just hear somebody mumbling the alphabet. But there's this guy. Now. You have to understand, in my neighborhood, a lot of homes burned down in the twenty eighteen Woseley fire, so there's just always construction going on in my neighborhood and for the past five years, I've seen this guy's truck working on multiple homes in the neighborhood, but usually it's near my house. And he has a sticker on the back of his truck and it says I love sushi, and then it's got a stick figure of a woman laying on her back and then a stick figure of a man eating her out. Wow, this guy loves to go down on women and he just wants everyone to know it. And I just think that's peculiar. I just can't imagine a world where I would see that sticker. Oh you know I do. I do uh love going down on the ladies. And this sticker is kind of cute. Why don't I put that on the back of my pickup truck. I've never really understood putting stickers on your car. It's just giving out information for no reason. I gotta get a sticker for my car. What do you think, Carl? Get a little photo of you? You farting? I feel like I heard something. Guess what. Tomorrow the tour begins. We're gonna be in Kentucky, then off to Indianapolis, then up in there, up to Michigan and in Ohio. Oh, It's gonna be so fun. Carl the Goat, new episodes dropping every Thursday. Hope you're watching boys pink dot com. Check that out. Buy something for your toddler? What else do we need? Got another story from my son, a little bedtime story that he recorded when he was three. See you next week.
Speaker 3: Once upon a time a widdle movie.
Speaker 4: See it's somebody with toys in the watterley seen. But when that anon she was swimming in the water, shee shaw.
Speaker 3: A toy in the wattle.
Speaker 1: Let's see what that is?
Speaker 4: And the boot and she said, let's see it in the bought and it had a little tiny lightly told. He said, hmm, what a sin told? And then he scream and framp I was so to the film. She went on and she popped it up and she went under the boat.
Speaker 3: So what he did is.
Speaker 4: She framed out of the boat. I sat at a tear and has sol deetered tian until she went down a big water salt and then down at the bottom of the seat, down down down what tree tour SATs aliens by the turn. But at the time of movemaids get the momaids another momaid, so many sins down at the bottom of the CD, and Tenati, one more solely no