Speaker 1: Welcome to the solid verbal hell.
Speaker 2: That for me, I'm a man, I'm forty.
Speaker 3: I've heard so many players say, well, I want to be happy. You want to be happy for a day? Ato Steak, is that woo woom?
Speaker 1: And then and tie.
Speaker 3: Dan, I am not going to lie to you.
Speaker 1: I am elated, elated, Yeah, to be doing this show with you today. I am thrilled about this episode.
Speaker 3: I like that it's tickling you right where you need to be tickled, scratching you. You're where you're itch and bringing on Scott Doctrman. As you know, you've seen the title from The Athletic to talk about the Big ten TV draft, maybe a little Big ten Playoff stuff as the SEC is positioning itself with how it views the playoff and the ideas it's looking for to to be more solution oriented and the Big ten with Tony Pettiti allegedly preferring or at least pitching the auto bid pitch for the four plus four plus two plus two. So right now we're at twelve four four two two one three one three.
Speaker 2: There is it.
Speaker 3: That's how we run.
Speaker 2: Youve got to.
Speaker 1: Memorize it then you can get it. I know for shot I know Scott's been doing great work over at the Athletic. He has written two articles now, you know, over the last couple of weeks that have really drawn our interests. The first go out and read it. We'll link it up in the description here inside the Big Tens TV Draft how Fox, NBC and CBS split up the twenty twenty five football schedule. So look, we come at it from this perspective. We've been talking about the TV side of this for generations now, or what feels like generations.
Speaker 3: Collash Mooball's a TV show, Colash.
Speaker 1: Football's TV show, love it, hate it, despise it, whatever. The fact that they have a draft, a draft to pick which games are being played when and on which network is fascinating, full stop, don't care what you think of the fact that they are drafting these games is of interest to anybody who grew up in the fantasy football era. Yes, I am excited to talk to Scott about this and find out what he's learned. Lord knows, on this show, we've been drafted all sorts of weird things for as far back as we can remember, so an actual game draft is definitely of importance. We're going to focus a good chunk most of our questions on that structure, about it and how it came to fruition, all that type of stuff. So we'll get into that with Scott here momentarily. He also at time of recording, we're recording this on Tuesday afternoon, late morning, he published an article today why does the Big Ten want four automatic college football playoff bids? The league's case has a long history, so we're going to talk about that as well, because of course that's very much in the news now as well. We've got this public posturing, at least on the SEC side, we have heard a whole lot from the Big Ten as of late, but we're going to get Scott's intel on that front as well, so cover those two things.
Speaker 2: At some point we'll have.
Speaker 1: To bring them back to talk specifically about Iowa football. But today we're going to focus in a little bit more on these bigger picture, more national Big Ten related stories.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have to counteract this show that is so focused on, you know, corporate interests and the business of college football broadcasting behind the scenes, and next week we're gonna have to do a show that's just like How to Play Left guard with Quentin Nelson, Right, we just need to bring balance into the solid verbal ecosystem whatever, and not go too far in any one direction. Obviously, we're going to do our previews coming up here this summer and you know, get into the more fun element of all of this. This is very much an early June show that we're super excited to do. But yeah, I'm gonna need to hear about hand placement from Steve Hutchinson. Right, We're gonna need to do something to balance this out. Go on out to verballers dot.
Speaker 1: Com if you want to further support what Dan and I do. Your bonus episodes, ad free episodes, discord access, access to our wonderful community. Oh yeah, overballers again. That's v e r B A l l e r s dot com. If nothing more, If you like the show, hit fall, hit subscribe, if you can leave a star rating or review. All of that stuff helps Stan.
Speaker 3: Shall we dive right in and with that, it's our pleasure to bring on the athletics Scott Doctorman, who has written a couple of fascinating pieces, the first of which is what truly inspired us to bring him on. But then I saw a new piece came out today on Tuesday, June third, as we record this about you know, Jim Delaney's strategy and the thought of big ten pitching auto bids and what that may have meant in previous years for the college football playoff and what it may not have meant. We had Scott on last year in talking about the I don't know, it's calamity a good word, ty, I think so.
Speaker 1: I mean, we tried to unpack what was going on with Iowa's offense, and at that point in time, our thinking was, we need to unpack this. We need an IOWA expert to help us understand not just what took place this off season or back then in the twenty twenty three season, but just give us the full evolution of how we got to this point.
Speaker 3: So with that preamble, Scott, welcome back to the solid verbal.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm thrilled to be here, and at least I won't have to talk about the drive for three twenty five anymore.
Speaker 3: That's true.
Speaker 2: I think it's over, so I think they'll be a little bit better this year. So, by the way, you got to talk about other stuff sidebar Fresno State might have like the best tight ends coach randomly in the country who just shouldn't be an offensive coordinator. Brian Farrence. I tell you what, Brian, Yeah, Brian was you know Rob Grinkowski and I talked to him about this, said, Brian Ferrence was the best coach he ever had as a tiight ends coach with the Patriots. Taught him how to block. Basically described to him, Look, it's like pushing a car. That's how we attack the defenders. And he learned how to do it and turn him into a Hall of Fame blocker as well as receivers. So Brian is really good in that area. It's a Peter principle. I mean, he's a great offensive line coach. He was a very good tight ends coach. I'm sure Fresno State will have some great coaches there. Everybody who played under him at that position swears buying Sam Laporta, you know, all of the above, and it's just calling plays and designing plays was probably just not his forte.
Speaker 3: Fair enough, Okay, so let's start here. You wrote a piece on the Big Tens TV network draft. Obviously, there are certain priorities that networks have in terms of, you know, getting the first one, two, three, four picks or whatever, and there's a certain order of things. There are trades. It is truly a fantasy draft with millions upon millions, if not more, dollars of implications. Be it headline games within the Big Ten, non conference games. Explain to people what a TV game draft is in twenty twenty five in the Big Ten, all.
Speaker 2: Right, the Big Ten has probably the most unique television media partner experience of any of the networks. Now you have the SEC that's an ACC mostly is locked in with ESPN, say for a couple of games on the CW for the ACC. The Big Ten has three major linear partners, Fox, which is the priority number one, and then kind of an equality relationship with CBS and NBC. Fox has leaned into its Big noon kickoff, which has aggravated a lot of Ohio State and Penn State fans over especially the last few years. But over time CBS has moved its SEC on CBS Midday to now the Big Ten, and then NBC has carved out its role as a prime time network for the Big Ten on Saturday nights. So the draft process includes those three entities plus BTN, which has scattered picks later in the draft, and what they do is they agree on a day. This year was April thirtieth, and they're all separate. They're not in one room. Man, I wish they were in one room.
Speaker 3: That'd be so cool in Macau.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I bet if you're you know, NBC can say can we stream this on Peacock or you know, Fox, can we put this on FS one? Sure, CBS Sports Network. I mean, Btn, this would have been great, but uh no, they're they're they're different campuses, kind of scattered throughout like and it's kind of funny because Fox has like every there's like three or four people in each one that are in you know, in that are very much intimately involved in this process. But like Foxes are on Zoom with each other, and then they handle the picks via email. So it just sounds so it's almost like the old signing day send it through the fax machine thing. It's like, we got all this technology and we're doing it through email and that. But they said, look, we used to do it on a conference call. That got really boring, so we decided let's, uh, let's do it this way, but still slack channels, at least with a Slack channel, you could see so and so is typing, so you're like, okay, here we go. But how it's kind of set up after that is that the league determines the draft order and they place a number with every pick for every game going all the way to the end, which I think is I want to say, like one hundred and twenty three or something to that effect that were available. They already pull out the Friday night games and those are in a different category, so they've already dispersed them. But then when they go from number one, Fox as the primary rights holder, has the first three picks. Then it goes and then the next four are NBC CBS, and it depends on the year, Like last year, NBC was five, CBS was four, and NBC made a trade to get up to number three, and so there's trades that are allowed, so it's kind of cool that way. Yeah, And then Fox has eight, and then it goes you know, nine, ten, and then Fox has eleven. So they sit in this their rooms, their war rooms. CBS was at its in the conference room, NBC was out in Connecticut at its Stanford complex, and then Fox was scattered and then they start selecting So with the first three picks, uh, I believe it was I know Ohio State Michigan was number one, and Ohio State Texas was two, and I believe Ohio State Penn State was three for Fox. They're all winners. Then four this year was NBC took Oregon Penn State, and then CBS was a little more coy with who it picked because it is.
Speaker 3: That an alternating four. Do CBS and NBC alternate by the year who gets that fourth pep?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, yeah, because like last year, it was CBS that had four and which caused NBC to jump up to five because it wanted it. It wanted Oregon Ohio State, right, and so it felt like that CBS would grab them, so instead they went ahead and jumped up there, CBA or Fox fell down to five and still got what it wanted, which was it was Ohio State, Penn State. So you know then and they already picked Michigan, Texas and Ohio State Michigan. So it's fascinating how that works. And then there's so much strategy involved that I can get into, but I'll kind of turn it over to you guys to see what questions you have about.
Speaker 3: This, Oh yeah, fair enough. So okay, let's let's go there. Strategically, Obviously, people are going to easily understand why Fox would prioritize Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, Oregon. You know, take your pick of the huge schools that have played in huge games, that have huge followings, that have are proven ratings. Clydesdale's is a ratings. Clydesdale a term in the TV industry. I think it is now.
Speaker 1: I think it is now.
Speaker 3: So strategically you understand where that comes from. What's the second level of strategy. Is it just all merit based or is it week based? Is it you talked about in your column, like looking at what SEC and Big twelve and ACC games are and like even though this you know USC Notre Dame game looks appealing, it there's a good chance it's going to be up against you know, Alabama, LSU or something. So from what you could decipher, what were the second tier strategies of the networks.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'll start with let's go go with NBC. They're kind of the easiest one to read here, and that is that NBC also has a contract with Notre Dame and it's an entering. It's thirty fifth year in that treasures that one. It wants them both to be mutually beneficial and feed off one of an another. Now, the one thing that they're looking at is okay, they got a contract where they could put three Notre Dame games in prime time. Which ones matter and which ones do they feel will do the best there? And also on weeks will they matter against the Big Ten? And say, I mean, the first one was the most obvious one, and that was Texas A and M at Notre Dame because that was a garbage game day for the Big Ten. There was nothing of value. They had two Big Ten games and the only other game that was even Power five matchup was Alabama at Alabama Wisconsin and that was and then that goes to ESPN anyway, so they had their pick of nothing. So they said, this is easy. We got Marquee matchup, good weekend. We're going to take this and then deprioritize the Big Ten that week. And so they ended up moving like they picked two games for Peacock as opposed to Big NBC, and one of them was Ohio State Ohio at Ohio State. So you get you know, you get you're gonna get ratings no matter what because it's Ohio state. But it's it's Ohio. So the strategy for them is, Okay, which weeks are ratings gold for the Big Ten that we want to prioritize, which ones are devalued with Notre Dame. So that all of this is strategy that they started looking at back in December. Okay, here's the Big Ten schedule, here's Notre Dame schedule. How does this all fit and kind of make that work? And then which you know, and a couple of times then they can move like a Big Ten game to the midday on NBC and feed into the Notre Dame game. But they also aren't going to make that the priority, say number two overall, when you can have a really good primetime game and another week or two with Fox. It's a little different because they have baseball commitments. And so that's what kept them from having Friday games in late October last year. I don't know if you recall, they opened the World Series on a Friday night, Yankees Dodgers, and it was in LA. So it's perfect for them. I mean, they couldn't get gotten better because the USC Rutgers right after that with like a eleven pm easter and time kickoff, which was when you think about it, just how how horrible can you treat one of your teams to make them go all the way across the country and kick off at like eleven o'clock at night. But they did. That didn't happen this year, and two games two weeks were completely wiped out. But in the big picture, they all look at what other events are going on? How do we structure this around? The SEC is obviously one that they really weigh into, you know, like you know, one weekend that NBC really was focused on was the twenty seventh of September, which was the Oregon Penn State Game. Now it's probably going to go against Alabama Georgia. I know the time hasn't been set, but that's going to be a really you know, crazy competition as to who gets you know what kind of viewership. But they wanted to build that as a holistically as a big NBC weekend. They have the Ryder Cup and they wanted the Ryder Cup to lead into that, and then on Sunday night they have Dallas screen Bay NFL game, so they figure, wow, we could really make this a big NBC weekend and build everything around it. So that was part of their strategy, and then the Big Ten stays out of it, but they kind of nudge some things around, and that was one where they thought, you know, this might be a good one for NBC. You know, we're not gonna say Fox, don't take it, but you know it'd be kind of cool if you left it lifted for NBC on this one. There are some strategies though, for Fox that are complicated because of the noon kickoff window, they can't have West Coast games there, so they're stuck, and they get stuck from time to time. We saw that last year where there was a really bad weekend in early November where maybe the best game or the second best game went to Friday night that they had. I think it was Iowa Ucla, which tells you what kind of weekend it was when we are all good. CBS had the number one pick and NBC had a Notre Dame game, and there was like two other games on the West coast. Oh, I know it was it was a Penn State. Washington was Penn State wanted that's wide out so badly that they were willing to go to Peacock for it, and at night, which prevented that, CBS had the first pick, and it was Michigan Indiana. And then there was another West Coast game, so they for Big Noon they had their choice of Rutgers Minnesota or Ohio State Perdue. And they're like, well, we're going to go Ohio State because it's Ohio State. You can play scrimmage there and get better rings than probably the other game. And and then you know, when Ohio State fans got mad, it's like, well, what are you supposed to do here? Right? And so though they're kind of hemmed in on some of this, but but they do have, you know, some strategic ideas. And then CBS is more about kind of looking across at the SEC. They know they're going to go up against a decent SEC game, but you know they also want to, you know, try to build around whatever they do on the weekend as well.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm getting such big fantasy draft vibes from this whole thing. I'm giggling like an idiot over here because it reminds me of drafts that I had back in like two thousand and five. I can only imagine what that's like, waiting for the email to come in, trying to then plot what your next move is.
Speaker 2: Was there anything that.
Speaker 1: Surprised you, Like I heard email as the primary medium for this that surprised me. You reported the story, Are there any other items of note that surprised you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that part did too, because you think of all the wet bays. You know, we're communicating. Everybody else's communicating face to face, and you'd think that they'd have it, you know, in some sort of fashion that way. Now we're going to go email. That was a little strange, you know, but you know it's like, well, what are you going to text each other? I guess that'd probably be even easier. But they all kind of had their little funny moments talking about it. One was like, it's you know, there's no chimes that go no, you know, here's the or anything like that. One of the things that I talked about I didn't quite get in the story that I thought was really interesting. I said, were there ever any moments where you were like, yes, we got this game, or oh man, we just we were waiting on that one.
Speaker 3: Can't believe they sell to us.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, we all do that in fantasy football every year. You're like, oh, god, one, you know, and they're like, yeah, absolutely, and they're like, you know, our stomach's churning, we're sweating, we're you know, and then it comes to us and we yell and then we don't if we don't get it. We we were really frustrated visibly.
Speaker 3: Is there a time limit, by the way on the picks? Like, did they have to send an email within twenty minutes? There was nothing, no limit.
Speaker 2: No, there's no countdown, there's no clock, I asked. I said, it's insane, but busted like Minnesota did to be back in the you know, ten twenty years.
Speaker 3: Agoah, you should be forced to auto draft Rutgers Minnesota if the pick isn't in like drafting the wrong Adrian Peterson from the Bears.
Speaker 1: Yeah, an all time troll of a move.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The other thing I wanted to ask Scott, like to that end, did you hear anything of there being a particular game that was selected earlier than expected? Is so called reach because we all do that in fantasy football as well. Right, there's a guy that you're kind of fixated on for whatever reason, Bondie, Like sometimes at defies logic. Were there any of those or is just like cold hard numbers that are driving these decisions.
Speaker 2: There wasn't anything like that. And here's why, because once you get past the big games, they draft weekends, right, So let's that and that's where they actually do their best work. Probably because anybody can say, well, yeah, we want Texas and Ohio State or we want Oregon Penn State. I mean that makes sense. You know, you get wide out in Happy Valley, two teams played for the championship. You know that's going to sell like crazy. But then you start to get into some other weeks where we're looking at it, you know, three and a half four months in advance, and we're going, okay, who's you know what, which games are going to stand out? Well, let's take like October eleventh, for instance, and you've got you know, some really good games Ohio State at Illinois. That could be you could have two teams in the top ten potentially if Illinois, you know, comes to play, or if Illinois goes back to being Illinois. Before you know, they could be losing to Indiana and a couple other teams and all of a sudden, you're going, yeah, you know, we don't want to draft them in Iowa, Wisconsin. You know, maybe Wisconsin gets off the mat and maybe Iowa was good with Mark Gronowski and all of a sudden that's a hey, you know, it's a camp Randall. Maybe we want this to be primetime or something. And then you're like a, you know, Michigan USC. You know, is it the Michigan USC we saw last year or is it the Michigan USC from two years ago? Indiana, Oregon? Same thing? You know? Is this? You know, is IU do they go and they beat Illinois and Iowa or are they you know, just kind of fall back to the pack, you know, And that's why you draft the weekends. And what one of the strategies that pretty much all of them have told me is like, it's not so much to be number one, it's to make sure you're not number three on a bad weekend. Because now all of those games are are legitimate. You know, there's probably four decent games, and then there's a couple others that might fit into that too, like a you know, UCLA, Michigan State. Who knows, you know, maybe Nico is great and Aidan Chiles is great, and that's that fits in there too, but you just don't want to all of a sudden go oh man, we got stuck with a really bad game and kind of like what Fox did.
Speaker 3: So as to say when you when you're saying, when you draft a weekend, it's at a certain point there they own the right to prioritize a match up that weekend. When when do they select? It's a two week window. When is the selection?
Speaker 2: It's a twelve day and a six day Okay, you know, so they're all every week is given that twelve day priority, but I believe it's twice per year that they could wait until six days it to be like the Sunday morning, and that's predicated on the results on that Saturday. You know, you might get you know late in the year. You know, there's a couple of games that really, you know, kind of stand out and you're thinking, you know, do we want you know, like after the Ohio State Penn State result, you know what, maybe Ohio State's undefeat and you're like, yeah, I know they're playing Perdue, but that's still Ohio State. Or maybe Penn State pulls the upset and plays Indiana and that's our number one you just you want to wait until that result takes place. So I did. I did ask specifically though, what were the games that really caused you that ah moment and or the or the anguish? And they were they said, we had them, but I'm not going to tell you which ones they work. So of course that's gamesmanship, right, Yeah, yeah, exactly, Scott. With respect to the whole Big Noon thing, love it or hate it, Fox has clearly made a brand out of it.
Speaker 1: It is its own product. Now, everybody who follows college football sort of knows what's going on in that world. What do the other network people think of it? Because as a fan, clearly we understand why it's frustrating. But from a network perspective, as we've come to know now these last five years or so, their view of the college football world tends to be a bit warped and through a different lens than the rest of us. Did you get any commentary on that front?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean from Fox they loved it. And the reason why is it's fertile territory. We always kind of grew up, especially a big ten country. It's like, all right, you've got you know, Beth Mowens and Pam War doing the ESPN two game or you know you're got you know it's perdue Northwestern and but the kind of the Big ten mindset all these years was Moon is Week two thirty was the Golden era, and then three or four or five times you get that primetime game and you're really excited about it. Well everything is completely changed. I mean all the windows are open. You know, you've got FCS versus Big ten teams in prime time. But when it comes to Big Noone in particular, Fox is leaned in on it because they felt like, you know, especially four or five years ago, it's like, well, we're gonna have to go against the best SEC game in the midday. They tried that. It didn't really work. Prime Time is the same type of deal. You you know, you're going to go up against a great game there. But noon people are just finishing up their game day show and it's like, wow, here's a really good game to start your day. And it works. The ratings are high for it, you know. They One of the things that Mulda Hill told me Mike Mulda Hill from Fox is, look, you could take out the top three team games we picked last year and we still had a higher average big ten numbers than everybody else, and I'm like, okay, you know Ohio State, Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, and Michigan Texas. He removed those three and they still have high numbers, so they're going to lean into it. They do respect though, that some the schools don't like it or don't like it that often. And that's what we saw with the Texas Ohio State situation that went down that you know, opening weekend, Labor Day weekend. They figured, hey, that even though that Sunday night I think has Miami Notre Dame, they wanted to move that into prime time on a Sunday night, and Ohio State was all for it, you know, special nights, you know, fertile territory. They don't have a game against anybody of value the next week. Then uh, but Texas, which was contractedly contractually right, said no, we don't want to do that, and so then it got moved back to be to noon. But what they're trying to do is show that they are making efforts to help the schools out and that's that's It's gonna be an ongoing process. And I think what the skit the league did this year a little bit better job was of its kind of week by week is it's not leaving Ohio State out there hanging. I think there's some other games that they can plug because as I said that, you know, you if you had like one of the week's Iowa Oregon, you couldn't have it at Big Noon, but if now you can because it's in Iowa City. It's just kind of those differences.
Speaker 3: You mentioned the Rutgers eleven pm local kickoff last year, which is insane to still think about. I had completely forgotten. I remember that there was a doubleheader, but the timing escaped me. Were there any other errors that networks were looking to correct. Were there lessons learned from previous drafts that they said, Okay, I am never again going to prioritize this kind of game or this week or this scheduling strategy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The one that really crept up to them that you know, there were a few, but one that stood out immediately when they got feedback on was last year with Michigan State. Michigan State played on peacock on a Saturday night at home against Ohio State and then had to turn around that Friday and play Oregon on the road, and so you had a six day window against two of the top you know, two or three teams in the country, and you know, and you have the other factors that they really don't throw in there, like brand new coach and but but to expect the team to go out there and play that type of opponent, you know, six days apart, was really unfair, they felt, and Michigan State expressed that, and then they look back and said, okay, and then a few of the other things that they're working on as they go as best that they can. Is while Ohio State had its last six games upear on noon, five of which on big noon you know, Wiscon or Michigan State I think had five night games. Iowa had four or five night games and uh, you know, three of which I think in November. So you had a kind of a skewed view. So they're they're trying to figure out how to you know, slowly, you know, not have so many night games from one team and maybe be able to push Ohio State into the into the primetime a little bit more often. So those were some of the the takeaways that they had from their scheduling, and you know, but there are some things they just can't get away from, which is the travel component. Now that you're on the West coast, it's gonna be difficult. They've tried to adjust it, and this is the second year of a fourteen week season, and so next year they're gonna have to redo this. But where the West coast teams, they don't play two road games. If they go east, you know, they'll go you know, USC goes to Illinois, then a couple of weeks, then they go home and they either have a buy or they have a home game, you know, something like that, as opposed to, Okay, you're going to Illinois, you fly back and then you're going to Rutgers or something like that. That's just so, but it's difficult, you know, to do that with this kind of inventory.
Speaker 1: Do you think that by giving this whole process a little bit more visibility, you have inadvertently turned it into more of a production.
Speaker 2: I was just looking for something interesting to write this time of the year.
Speaker 1: Because this is not uncommon. This is not uncommon when somebody sheds a little light on anything, really, especially something that I think has roots in the fantasy draft culture that we all know and love from you know, kurrent her previous lives. It would not be out of the realm of possibilities that next year or at some point in the future, this becomes more of a talking point, more of a production, more of a thing that college football fans can watch and cheer on and you know, set their watch.
Speaker 2: By Oh, I'm sure they're going to get a few people who ask me when is the draft wins are going to be held? And it varies by the year. It's not a you know, it was like the Wednesday after the NFL Draft this year, and sometimes it's a little earlier, sometimes it's a little later. But I'm sure, yeah, next spring that's going to be a topic everybody. When is it going to be held? When are they going to do it? And then afterwards, I know, am I going to try to get intel like it was one of those old fashioned basketball secret scrimmage where you're calling the assistant coaches, so who did what?
Speaker 3: You could be the mel.
Speaker 2: Kuiper of this could be you know, I mean, I need my hair is disappearing in the back, so I need some slickness to it.
Speaker 3: But I mean, the only the only problem with that is, of course people look at TV as ruining the sport, and so then we're going to highlight TV networks who people hold accountable for changes in the sport and all being driven by TV money and sort of making celebrities out of them, Like we're hosting a like egg price raising TV show. Obviously I would watch that, but no, it's sort of an interesting, you know, part of the sport. Of course, I wonder with with the draft, with you mentioning the schedule changes and the feedback that the conference got and the network got. I wonder where this is going with regard to networks and getting games, and like the one of the byproducts of the TV deal is like we're getting CBS games network television games or NBC primetime games that never would have existed because it was a three and six team against a four and five team and it would have been relegated to the Big ten network. But these are the slots that you know, NBC and CBS have, Like are they a little bit upset about putting an uninspiring matchup on prime time airwaves? Like is there any sort of buyer's remorse about either NBC and CBS and their place in the Big ten TV deal or are they just thrilled to have live football because it'll do enough of a rating that even though on the face having you know, two non Bowl teams play again on primetime network TV seems weird, but you know, is it still a win.
Speaker 2: Ultimately it's a win for them because of the ratings are still pretty good. They're not the SEC is shown to have more depth, and I don't know if that's just team names that work better, the fact that they don't beat each other up as much and you know, have one less league game. But overall, you know, I think we've seen it, especially not so much last year, but the year before there were some primetime games you're like, you see you know, you know, but now that they have eighteen teams, it kind of gets spread out. And I think last year was somewhat unique in that that Michigan was really slow out of the gate and I lost a couple of games early, USC never really got off the mat, and we didn't know how good Indiana and Illinois were until the season was really progressing. So now kind of going into this season, we think Illinois could be a top fifteen team. It should be a top fifteen team anyway, coming out of the and then maybe maybe they're gonna be good Indiana. Can they do it? Repeat it, and I will finally put together an offense. And then you got your your blue bloods and teams like Oregon that you feel like they could be something, you know, special again. So they do have better inventory. But what I could say about out the non conference schedule is that absolutely has to change or they have to change the schedule to accommodate the networks, because they did have to provide an exemption to Fox in week two because there was nothing there at all. All there all the Big Tens road games were all the Big Ten's major games were on the road, and so they only had what two games that they controlled pitting Power conference teams that that Saturday. One was Boston College at Michigan State, which is a nice game. Maybe one team goes to a bowlgang, Yeah, but that that goes to NBC, so that kind of vaults the top. And then the other one is Oklahoma State at Oregon, which when it was made looked like a great game. Oklahoma State obviously went to nine and the Big Twelve last year, so that changes things. But there was nothing left for Fox. You know, they were strongly considering opening up with well, at least because Ohio State's playing Grambling, you can't really go there, you know. And then Michigan's at Oklahoma, so then you're going, well, Penn State's at home, they're playing but they're playing FIU. What are we doing here? So they got an exemption because they decided, you know, they still have a Big twelve contract, and Iowa plays Iowa State, and that's to day the kirk Farans can pass Woody Hayes as the winning his coach in Big Ten history. It's too you know, it's a Big ten team at a Big twelve team, a rivalry game. It's you know, they can do big noon kickoff. So instead of playing it at like four, which is what the plan was, they said, we just moved this into our noon time slot. And then they ended up saying okay and did that. But but in the future, the Big Ten is going to have to start going to these teams and because what's funny to me is that thirteen out of the eighteen actually played ten Power five opponents, you know, so they've actually got decent non conference schedules for that part. But they've got to do something about the scheduling itself. They can't just have these free weekends when you have three linear partners. It's one thing if you're the SEC and you can put it on ESPN two when you're playing Memphis and Oldness or something like that, but you know you can't put NBC, you know, acron A Nebraska. You know, it's just is this not going to work?
Speaker 3: Were there any I don't know how to describe this like draft crushes. Obviously there are the games early that people are selecting, not early necessarily, but the picks are early that involve, you know, the big headline ratings, Monster ratings, Clydesdale teams. Is it apparent that any of these networks are sort of buying low or think bigger things about a specific team, like a CBS like very bullish on Nebraska, or is Fox like it was there any sort of apparent like, hey, this team might not be super attractive right now, but we think they could have a special season and we might be getting a big value play by circling our wagons around this team.
Speaker 2: I think when you go to week four that they've got that kind of setup right now, and that's the CBS going with deciding already to announce it. Michigan at Nebraska in the midday. I think they're playing that one of those two teams, the winner of those two teams is going to make a play. And Michigan, of course is a ratings goliath. Nebraska is also pretty good despite its you know, lack of success over the years recent years. So I think they're they're figuring great atmosphere at Nebraska as it always is. Michigan, your two name programs winner is going to get a bump, They're going to be ranked, They're probably you know, and I think both teams could could be ranked even if Michigan loses at Oklahoma. And so I think that's where they really kind of drew the line because there's also some pretty good games too that are available. CBS also took as part of its Pack two coverage Washington and Washington State, so it leads into the Apple Cup. But then under Big ten control, you've got Illinois and Indiana, which I think is going to be a fantastic game, and Oregon at Oregon State. I mean, it may not be very good, but it's still a rivalry game the Civil War. And Michigan State at USC. I think that's also intriguing to me. So, but by announcing those two that game early, I think it really signifies that they are there. They're all in on the winner going forward, and they play it all the way out where they picked Nebraska Iowa on Black Friday as well.
Speaker 1: Scott, How many people are involved in an operation such as this, because as we're talking this through, I'm thinking of what we go through when we're trying to preview teams in advance of a season. I'm sure everybody kind of in our world does something similar.
Speaker 2: It's hard.
Speaker 1: There's a million data points that you have to try and consider just when figuring out which teams do we like, which players do we like, which storylines are worth following and mentioning to the audience. But then you have to layer on top of it the added math of this team brings in X million of an audience each time they play, Like, there's that whole other, like, I don't know, quantitative level of this with respect to TV that you have to try and factor in as well. Were there different approaches to preparation to putting together those big boards? What did it look like from that standpoint?
Speaker 2: Each of the networks have about three people in their war rooms, you know, and and they're the head of programming for sports. I talked to each one of them who really made the final call, and and then a couple other people who really handled that sport specifically, are you know, intimately evolved. And they go through war games starting in December when the Big ten announced, it's great, it's it's it's pretty cool that they, like NBC told me, look, we split our teams up, and then we had other people with those teams, and it's like, you go in this room today, your Fox. You go in this room today, you're CBS, and we're going to be NBC, and we're going to try to figure out what their ideas and their strategies are. And then you look around, Okay, well they've got the World Series this week, so they're not gonna think about you know something here, you know, or well they've you know, they've got Notre Dame at night, so we're going to focus on a really big game earlier in the day. So they're trying to kind of figure all that out, and then they go through multiple mock drafts. They said that almost weekly, and then it comes down to almost daily as they get closer, because they just want to figure out how it plays out, so ultimately they don't get surprised. That's what they really want. And and but so it's really sounds like that, you know, Moli Hill's like, I don't. I've never been in an inside an NFL war room, but it kind of feels like it, you know, because they because they just play this scenario out so much and then they get their their selections and it's it's kind of funny. I mean, it's kind of like with the NFL draft when you play a mock draft and you're like, you know, that's not that hard. You know, we can just pick this thing here. But when you're talking about the difference between you know, looking at the tangible numbers not just wins and losses and how good this team is, but also TV numbers, and then the thing that they all kind of express that's been the most challenging for them is now with the portal that they're trying to follow the moves and who's adding, who's going where? You know, what does this team look like? Is if you're talking about ten years ago and Ohio State lost all of its players fifteen to the NFL and draft picks and everything else. You might say, yeah, they're due for a down year. Now they reloaded. You know, they've already got a lot of talent, but you know they reloaded. Can you know, and they're looking at each and every team like, wow, can Mark Ronowski really take this team from you know, offensively being challenged in Iowa City to maybe, you know, hey, they're playing Oregon, they're playing Indiana, they're playing Penn State all at home. Maybe that's something we want to eye on. Is this something we think can happen? You know? And then they're reading everybody's you know, reporting and whatever. So they're analyzing this so deeply that you know that actually kind of came off as a surprise, you know, because you'd think that they cared and they it have mattered, but man, they really they go all in on this.
Speaker 3: Are there any risks and this sounds silly, I grant you, are there any risks of corporate espionage, which, by the way, I haven't not heard, like there are whispers that you know, the sort of subtext of all of this is this is all happening in a broader Disney Fox like shadow battle, right with the big ten in the SEC one. I think there's like currently a Disney YouTube TV lawsuit over an executive leaving Disney for YouTube TV. And then there's like you know, proprietary, non disclosure, non compete types of things going on, like have there ever been Maybe you don't know the answer to this question, That's fine. This is just me asking like poaching potential of like Fox trying to take an NBC person or vice versa, because all of a sudden, now you don't need a scout team running, you know, backup quarterback as Cordell Stewart. You actually have somebody who understands the Fox mindset or the NBC mindset. Has has that been a part of this at all? Behind the scenes, There haven't been any moves.
Speaker 2: I did ask a little bit kind of not quite espionage term, but you know about some of the strategies and whether they you know, do you guys afterwards you get together and you you know, over drinks and just go, man, I can't believe you took this or right there has a been there he's he's They're like, you know, we're all colleagues, we're all friends, we all get along, but you know, we're also competitors, and we also have our own little thoughts that we don't want to share. So they don't quite rehash the draft necessarily. Maybe they will pick or two here and there.
Speaker 1: But.
Speaker 2: Nothing, as far as I would say, is espionage. But I can see where it could happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know when you look at.
Speaker 2: You know, for instance, you let the like a Notre Dame game at night, and then you somehow find a way if you're Notre Dame, Hey, we're also we're going to use a high pick on that week, so we're going to leave everybody's you know, we're gonna have the best uh you know pick that week leading into the Notre Dame game. You're like, dude, what are you doing? You know, you're not even having your big ten game in prime time or you're going to move it to Peacock or something like that that you know, they're opportunities for it for sure, and I hope I find out about them it's really did happen, And oh man, I can't wait.
Speaker 3: That would be an incredible story. And I would imagine there are very few people who are going to have the sources and access more so than you. My final question is about the story you wrote today, which I you know, it definitely ties into everything we've spoken about before. But you mentioned Jim Delaney's stance as it relates to scheduling, as it relates to positioning team to look good in the eyes of the College Football Playoff Committee Selection committee, and the reported Tony Petiti pitch for four auto bids for the Big Ten as opposed to the five plus eleven model, which I think has sort of come out after those four plus four plus two plus two plus. I can't do all the math and I head this quickly on the fly, but getting to sixteen teams and that it may the autobid element may have cost the Big Ten, which is also something that the SEC has talked about. And you know we have Greg Sanke going up on his pulpit talking about, you know, the analytics favor the SEC's road more so than anybody else is via strength of schedule. Where is the Big Ten today in terms of its preferences, how it is approaching its strategy for pitching, you know, the future of the College Football Playoff? Where does that stand and where do you expect them to land? The Big Ten in terms of preferences?
Speaker 2: First of all, the Big Ten needs to start talking. This has been this is been going on for too long. And Tony Pettitt likes working behind the scenes. He doesn't really like being out there vocal, whereas Greg Sank he has no problem with it. But you know, they're taking up all the oxygen and there's they've changed the narrative the SEC in the Big Ten. A couple of months ago, I was in New Orleans when they had their Divide the World sum at Part two and it was like they were, you know, they're in lockstep in a lot of areas. And now it just seems like the SEC is kind of back to this being, you know, having its swagger out there and this is why we think it should be, and the Big Ten is kind of taking a step back from the forefront and kind of you know, seated that ground. And then you have the ACC and Big Twelve saying well, yeah, it should be five plus two, you know eleven, that's that's the fairest way to do it. Well, you know, I would say that the Big Ten had the reason why it's not wholeheardly embracing this and actually I put the numbers between what it would be if but the current constitution, because it's kind of hard to go back and forth, but the current team constitution over the last four years one versus the other, and the really the the strategy is that they have a lot of PTSD from what happened ten years ago and this was and they would have First of all, they would have gotten more teams in at five plus eleven. Then they would have at the guarantees that they're asking for. But the other part is in twenty fifteen, Jim Delaney decided, since we're in a playoff era, we're going to position our teams the best possible way to be competitive to not only make the playoff, but also make New Year six Bulls, which were a little bit more important than they are today, I mean from that perspective. And so he unveiled this what he called nineteen ten. You know, a numerical acronym. You know that they're playing one championship game, nine Big ten games because they were at eight one intersectional opponent or which would be just a non power conference team, and then no FCS opponents. He figured that would provide them with the strength of schedule to put them in the In the conversation every year for not only the playoff, but then also for major bowl games, and a couple of years in it got proven that that just didn't matter. And one of it was when Ohio State twice got left out as champions, and what they were looking at wasn't so much. You know, Ohio State lost one game in the Big Ten each of that seventeen and eighteen years. One was at Iowa, one was at Purdue. Both were blowouts, both were surprising. But they're also looking at it. Look, if we were at eight games and we're divisions, maybe we're not even playing that game. Maybe they're playing Grambling or they're playing Morgan State, or they're playing you know, Mercer or whatever, and so that game wouldn't have happened, and we would have been better off not playing nine as opposed to playing nine. And whereas other leagues, meaning the SEC primarily but also the ACC, you're not having that opportunity where half your team's loose. And also in the month of November, there are those non conference games against a group of five teams or FCS opponents where when you're in the middle of the season, sometimes you just you run out of gas. You're on the road, at a conference team and you get a hit with a buzzsaw, and so they were really frustrated through that. And then the one that really sent them over the top was in twenty eighteen, and this is about a bowl game. Nevertheless, Penn State get ranked twelfth. Florida was tenth l she was eleventh LS. She was way out. It was fine. Florida had two FCS opponents. They played a three and nine Georgia or three and nine Colorado State and then Florida State, which had a blow of five hundred record and it really did not have a very good schedule, but it did beat LSU. And whereas Penn State played pitt which was a Coastal Division champion, played at eleven and two Appalachian Stage, played some really good top five competition, and yet it was still ranked behind Florida. So Delaney's like, well, what do we do now, you know, how do we get this? Now? Is it all eye test? If it is all eye tests, then these are really uneven, you know. And now he's of course, you know, two commissioners removed from the Big ten. But now they look at it as we don't want to get into a situation where our nine league. Our nine game league schedule is a detriment when you're comparing to an eight league schedule. So that's why we want guarantees. We're different, we're built differently. We want it. We have nine games, they have eight. We feel like we're going to be competitive, and the numbers show that they have still gotten the same or similar numbers. In fact, they we've had fewer numbers in the in the auto bid era than they would have if it was just five plus twelve. But we feel like this is a better way for us to guarantee it. Now, if the SEC goes, okay, we're going to go to nine games and then I could then the big ten will probably come down, you know, whether it's five plus eleven or there's a little bit different guarantees set up, they would come down from that. But if the SEC doesn't go to nine games, and then it won't budge on on the guarantees.
Speaker 3: By the way, Greg Sankie did mention that those two FCS opponents that Florida played, the analytics couldn't measure heart, couldn't measure grit, and so Greg Sankie, now Greg Sankeie coincidentally did not mention that in his strength of schedule tirade, he wasn't a tirade, but his presentation, Scott doctrman, we've taken up enough of your time. Thank you so much. Everybody read. Everybody follows Scott at the athletic. He's writing terrific stuff about national college football, Big ten football, you name it, and I just I can't wait to see where the draft goes next season. Part of me hopes it's an entertainment spectacle with Fox bringing like the guy who does the voice of Homer Simpson to announce their picks in the way that like the NBA lottery bring like good luck charms, and part of me is horrified by this whole ordeal. So Scott, thank you very much for your time, and everybody check them out.
Speaker 2: Thanks so much for me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 1: So look, I don't know how interesting that was to people listening at home.
Speaker 3: I think it was. I think it definitely was.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I can't speak for the for baller hood. I've been on the edge of my chair for the last forty five minutes.
Speaker 2: I swallowed that interview whole.
Speaker 1: I loved every second of it, just the idea of there being a draft of these games, that there are network dorks scattered about the country via email, which I cannot stress enough. You need the patience of a dead horse to do an eight hour email draft. I have done it. It sucks, It's terrible, but it's something so nerdy and yet of such critical importance to these networks to be stick draft. I want to broadcast it next year.
Speaker 3: You want to buy the rights?
Speaker 1: We're the biggest independent college football show out there.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Can we get the rights to this with not a real rooting interest to put it up on the YouTube channel? We can get like our own media consultant, whoever to break down the numbers. I want to broadcast this thing.
Speaker 3: I want the Excel Championships and I'm bringing back Jason Bennetti to call it. I want the big ten TV draft. I want things that ESPN, the OCHOL wouldn't even consider, yes, wouldn't even consider airing. I want what's on Is there like a quilting Championships? I know there's a shilting reality show on Netflix.
Speaker 1: There's a championship for everything.
Speaker 3: I want highly. I want the the what's it called the cast Iron Cleaning championships. There has to be something like that, right, sure, restoration cast iron restoration championships. I want it all, Tie, I want it all. But yes, I think it was fasting absolutely. You know this is this is the gears and pulleys behind the scenes of how we consume this sport. So it is relevant. It is interesting to me. You know, you mentioned the fantasy draft of it all, and it is what I was also picking up vibe wise, was are you a Sidoku guy?
Speaker 1: I wouldn't say I'm a Sudoku guy, but.
Speaker 3: Like if you're on a plane and extremely bored and you know, one of your your iPad dies or something like that, and you're like, all right, I don't even know if planes have the magazine. I don't know if American Way or whatever exists anymore. But there was something the mechanics and strategy of like Okay, a three can't be here or here, but a three can go in this square, a seven can't go here, Like the piecing of that kind of strategic puzzle of like, well, we can't air because we got the World Series, We've got the Ryder Cup, we've got the whatever event, We've got this game already circled here, so we can't do this team here, or we can't air this then like there is that like moving around the nines and eights and three in twos, and you know, right like there was that strategy element is what I was picking up from him as well. So it's it's all fascinating the way, and you know, the people involved would obviously say something like it's not as interesting as you think.
Speaker 2: Oh, I'm sure it is.
Speaker 1: There's no way it can be, especially if it's conducted via email. There's a lot of sitting around. Scott talked about it in his piece. There's a lot of sitting around. I'm sure there's a lot of donuts. I'm sure there's a lot of small talk waiting for the email ding. But at the same time, in our little world that we've constructed here as college football fans, it kind of starts there. The season kind of starts there. All too often when a game is played, on what network it's played, who is calling the game, All of these things factor into the fan experience.
Speaker 3: It's also interesting because while you know, I sort of half joked about corporate espionage and hiring away some you know, programming person from CBS going to five and vice versa. They're all kind of on the same team here because NBC's eggs are all in Big Ten in Notre Dame. CBS's eggs are from a major conference level, I believe all on the Big ten now right without their SEC show, I don't believe they're calling ACC or Big ten games. I know they have G five conferences on CBS Sports Network and other CBS games as well on main CBS, but in terms of the major conference presence, it's Big Ten, and obviously Fox has Big Twelve, but it's bread is buttered by the Big Ten, and their investment is by far the largest into the Big Ten than any other conference. They're all kind of pulling in the same direction, right. A healthy robust ratings monster Big ten is good for everybody in these meetings, so it's not like they're really sworn enemies. Whereas when this draft was happening, when ESPN was a Big Ten partner, and ESPN has had its toes in the Big Ten, in the Pac ten to twelve, well in the ACC and the Big twelve, right, that's when I think it might have even been more cutthroats that I think battle lines were more obvious when there was the ESPN ABC element to this all, whereas like CBS just like had its big SEC game right, there were rules involved with who they could pick and not pick. You know, a team couldn't be in that spot more than a certain number of times, the three thirty spot, but like they were sort of set there. NBC had their notre ed aim and Fox and ESPN were the ones sort of playing was risk. That's the global battle for domination. I would imagine it was maybe more cutthroat than in the draft, and now it's just more of a shadow battle. I'm serious.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 3: Oh, I love this so good.
Speaker 1: I love this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to do this.
Speaker 1: Episode every year with Scott. Beautiful, beautiful. Well look, thank you to one and all for downloading, for listening, for supporting again for Ballers dot com as a Patreon if you want to further support what we do. Thanks to Scott gave us like an hour of his time here to do this and talk through not just the game draft but also the backstory with the Big ten and the four automatic bids. We're of course is going to have to see where all of that comes down. They've gotten until December the first to figure it out. It's not the last we've heard of it, but clearly the Big ten and SEC are going to be kicking up some dust on this front throughout the summer and as we get deeper into the year. So we'll cover that as best we can here on the show. Again, if you made it this far, hit follow, hit subscribe, if nothing more, we do appreciate your support. It helps us immensely. Dan all right, we've got more episodes to record today actually, as we kind of plan for the weeks that are ahead, so we'll get to doing that. We would encourage you again reach out on social media or via email soliverbal at gmail dot com if you have anything further to say or add or any thoughts to get off your chest. We've been getting a lot of them, a lot of them over the last couple weeks here, people talking about the playoff format, talking about some of the previews that we've done, their expectations for teams, and the likes.
Speaker 3: So keep them coming.
Speaker 1: We can't respond all of them, but we do read all of them and appreciate your feedback. We're getting a little bit closer, Manet, a little bit closer it's.
Speaker 3: June now, yeah, I mean I still need to find out who Quentin Nelson's booking representative is. Let's not get it twisted. June is June. But it's still feeling good.
Speaker 1: For that guy over there, my good friend Dan Rubinstein for a guest of honor today, Scott Document of the Athletic Go and check him out. We will talk to you all next week. In the meantimes, they saw it peace