Speaker 1: Welcome to Creature feature production of iHeartRadio. I'm your host of Many Parasites, Katie Golden. I studied psychology, devolutionary biology, and today on this show, weird Animal Rescues the weirdest way in which people have helped animals, from throwing babies off of a cliff to creepy Halloween costumes for the sake of not letting anyone know you're a person. We are talking about the weirdest, creepiest, and most heartwarmingest ways people have rescued animals. Joining me today are friends of the pod, hosts of the Dogga z Zone of the website one nine hundred Hot Dog, Robert Brockway and Shan Baby.
Speaker 2: We did it.
Speaker 3: Thank you for pronouncing it correctly. Nobody ever knows it ever gets it right.
Speaker 1: Right, they say, Rubert.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's what I'm complaining about the French.
Speaker 1: Ever, Yeah, no, I'm I'm happy to gab you guys back on the show. This is a this is a fun one. It's it's all about saving animals. In the least it seems like we're tormenting them in these stores, which is what's funny, but it is actually I don't want to say no animals were harmed in this because in some of these situations like there is uh, it's not that the rescuers are hurting the animals, but the animals are in a dangerous situation. But all the things that the people are doing are helpful for the animals.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 1: So, first we got to start off in Iceland, which did you guys know that it's got plants on it too.
Speaker 2: In additions to Byork.
Speaker 1: In it, addition to buyork the beautiful orchid of a woman. So yeah, people live there. People live on Iceland. But guess who else lives there?
Speaker 3: Guys other than Man's Mickelson. He just seems like it.
Speaker 1: I don't actually know.
Speaker 3: I you know what, I have face, He's got an Iceland face.
Speaker 1: I have Nordic. I have Nordic blindness. This is a this is a terrible thing. But I get very confused among the Nordic countries and I cannot tell them apart, so I wouldn't know. I thought he was Swedish, but.
Speaker 3: No, I think I think like Doutsch or something. But he's got the bleakness in his face that I think he probably lives there, Like I think he has to go there. To be exempted. Well, he recharges. The answer.
Speaker 1: The answer is the answer is puffins, puffins. That was my second guest on Iceland. So uh, in Iceland, people are checking puffins off a cliff, and not just any puffins, but baby puffins called pufflings.
Speaker 2: Oh you say they're chucking them off a cliff like as a sport, yeah, or maniacs for the good.
Speaker 1: It's for good. No, No, they're doing it from kindness and empathy. I will explain it. So baby baby puffins, also known as pufflings, are lovingly tended to by their parents, fed fish throw up as they grow into fledglings. Once they're fledglings, the parents are like all right, and they leave and they're like bootstraps time, baby, uh, get out of there. You're you're you're old enough. And the parents just go back to the sea and trust that the pufflings will make their way out to sea on their own. The problem is sometimes they're dumb and they don't really do this, so they get lost on the way from the rocky crevices in which they were nesting to the sea. So this is where the Icelanders come in.
Speaker 2: I would really I would like to meet the first guy who came up with this, who saw like a little puffling, which is a very cute name and a very cute little thing, and he said, I'm gonna throw this into the ocean benevolently.
Speaker 1: It's like, well, like it's it would be very funny if the first guy was just like, I'm gonna throw this bird off a cliff and then it survives, and then someone's like and he he kind of goes, huh, yeah, I guess I did save it.
Speaker 3: I know you said it wasn't a sport. Is there any reason it can't be? Though, Like, if it saves the puff you could still.
Speaker 1: Honestly, when I was reading about this, it kind of seems a little bit like a sport, to be honest, right, people get into it. There's like there's like these sisters who have been doing it for a really long time and they're really good at it and they're known as like the Puffling Queens.
Speaker 2: That's a sport, for sure, but it's it's it's do they have matching costumes? I mean, that's I think that would really push.
Speaker 1: It over the they they they don't. It's cold there, they got a.
Speaker 3: Weird I mean, you know, you know somebody has the record, Like, at the very least, anytime two people throw anything, somebody is going.
Speaker 1: To be like, how far do you would I would kind of like to know that. I want to know these birds how many times it skips on the one and is it.
Speaker 3: Like is it is it skipping technique that helps you the most or is it like you're handed like cricket.
Speaker 1: They can fly, So this means that they're not just throwing aless lightly.
Speaker 2: I'm going to really have to change gears in my brain to see. I always picture just falling like bowling balls into the ocean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean took.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can fly like their fledglings. They're not great at flying. That's why a lot of the time they have trouble. But once they're tossed off the cliff, they can fly, so they're not It's not what was that TV show or the as good as my witness I thought turkeys could fly or they just throw it and it falls to the ground. Now these ones actually can fly, so they're okay. Most of the technique I see is actually underhand, like sort of a I watched a video cricket. I watched a video of this and it's like this woman with her with her child, like showing them how to toss the puffin, but the kid is kind of balancing against her. So when she like tosses the puffin, kid falls over and I thought, I like legitimately thought he fell off the cliffs. But then I realized it was just like a little it was just a little like hill before the cliffs. So he was all the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like you're throwing puffins. You mix him up with your kids. I feel like that happened probably twice a week in Iceland.
Speaker 1: They they apparently there's apparently not any actual reason for throwing them off the cliff, Like you can just go down to the you can go down to the beach and just gently put them in the water. It's fine. But but they they really like the cliff things. It doesn't it doesn't hurt the burde.
Speaker 3: Person throw their kid. Now there's a record involved and that becomes a sport.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Right, do the puffins note like when they hear the entrance music for the Puffling Queens, like did they know what's coming?
Speaker 3: They get a hype?
Speaker 1: Oh damn, they get Apparently they they can when they're captured. They're a little stressed, so they the puffin. The puffin hunters have learned a technique of like they put their hand like on kind of gently on their head and then that just sort of deactivates the puffin. It's just like power.
Speaker 2: What a torrible creature.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the babies. The babies are like a little different. So you know what an adult puffin looks like. It's like black with the white tummies and then the orange beaks with the coloration. The the baby ones are they do have the white tummies, but there their heads are gray because they're not sexually mature. Uh So they're just these kind of like little innocent gray uh blops. But they'll like once in a while realize like, wait a minute, I'm being held by someone. In their little legs start kicking and then the person just like it's okay, a little puffin. They just like power down again, just like oh yeah, as soon as.
Speaker 3: They're comfortable, you whip them into the same in your hand.
Speaker 1: For the record, yeah exactly. But I really encourage everyone to like look at like there's an article about this and nat GEO with a bunch of photos and videos. Uh. The article is called quote, it's throw a baby puffin off a cliff season in Iceland. It's uh this by Marty oh Man. Marty, why you got this last name? I think it's.
Speaker 2: Puff Slutter.
Speaker 1: I think it's Govich. I think it's Govich, but it's got a tr at the beginning there, so it could be to Goovich. But I'm gonna say Govic, who took some amazing videos and photos of people catching and tossing pufflings. I really do encourage you to check that out. It's a videos are very good. So essentially what they do is they like watch they go on puffin patrols, and these are like families. These aren't all professional rescuers. These are local families. The locals all join in on this and they look for signs puffin signs, which is basically a baby a puffling shooting through the air and landing somewhere that is not the ocean, and then they have to like follow that to where the trajectory of the puffling to like find where.
Speaker 3: They land, like scavenger hunt, like ultimate frisbee, an ultimate frisbee.
Speaker 1: Exactly, yes, exactly, And they'll find them in a variety of locations and people get really intense about it. They'll like climb up onto roofs, they'll climb up onto like these sort of they it's apparently like a harbor light tower, but it looks like a cell phone tower. So just really intense. People really take it seriously to try to get puff these pufflings. They don't immediately throw them off the cliff. What they do is they take them to the rehab center where they're checked out for their health, their weight. Sometimes they're banded, given the little ankle bracelets so that they can be they can track their population, and then they get like a fish, like here's a fish puffling. And then the next day they will go back to they'll go to the cliff and then that's when they check the pufflings into the ocean. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Modernizing it like maybe building a device that could shove a fish in your mouth and your mouth, pat you on the head, chebbyche into the ocean.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a drone that goes around snatching the pufflings. Yeah, I mean I think that, uh, certainly that's possible. If you want to suck out all the joy, the joy on the children's faces, like you just put. What we should do is like replace the this this because like these kids will describe like, oh, you can hear its heartbeat and its warmth, and it fills me with joy that I can help this living creature. What you need to do is take the puffling away, put in their hands a phone with TikTok on it, so then you know, yes, that's they can raise a virtual Such little weirdos who care about a bird? Yeah, I think.
Speaker 2: One kid with the phone, another kid throwing an air I'm under the ocean. I feel like that's equally weird depending on who's making the case.
Speaker 3: I mean, one kid films together. That's how got invented. That's what TikTok's for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I it would be nice if we started throwing phones into the ocean, am I right? Kids these days? Yeah? It's so the human intervention in this case is actually really good because the whole reason the baby the pufflings get confused is that in order to know where the ocean is at night, they look at the movement reflecting on the water, and there's artificial lights in the town, so they get confused they go towards town instead, And so if humans were never there, the pufflings probably wouldn't get so confused. So the fact that we intervene is probably for the best because we inadvertently cause the problem in the first place, and there they're threatened species, like their population has suffered in recent years. So yeah, it's it's a really good thing to like save these pufflings. It's not just that the pufflings are stupid and it's like, hey, like you're going against natural selection because these pufflings are pretty dumb. If they can't see the ocean, they they only know to like look for light. And if the light is like coming from a you know, I don't know, salted cod shop. I'm sorry, Iceland, they'll go in that direction. It's salted cotton, icelandic thing. I know that there's a lot of preserve.
Speaker 3: The light is coming from Maud's Michelson's dazzling smile. Well, it's not their fault.
Speaker 1: It does have he does have a fluorescent smile. Uh, there's yeah, there is Wait, is it Iceland, I gotta there's a dish called a carl hi carl uh? Uh it is Icelandic. Yeah, it's high carl. Uh it's a it is a fermented shark. So yes, uh, that's which is apparently very strong, so not for the casual, give the.
Speaker 3: Little puffling Pi Carl and then fire them out of the tuffling canon.
Speaker 2: It gets it's so drunk.
Speaker 3: Never leave it, just keep coming back, and then you have infinite puffling launching.
Speaker 1: I love God Collins the ocean. How you worry? Yeah, well so this it's a very sweet thing. It looks like, uh, it kind of looks like a horror thing, right, like a scene from Midsommer with them like throwing birds off of a cliff. But the birds are fine. It's good for the birds. The kids love it. I think it's very very heartwarming and beautiful.
Speaker 3: Plus we got the puffling queens, got puffling queens.
Speaker 1: Plus we got the puffling queens. They apparently their children are quite good at it too. So there might be a puffling dynasty dynasty that would be so much better than the much can you imagine puffin dynasty?
Speaker 3: Come on, like picturing in them like matching bedazzled parkas.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that would be incredible.
Speaker 2: Be just cutting sick promos. I'm gonna throw those birds into the ocean better than you, brother.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's Annie, because I was gonna say it's like I thought maybe it was an Animal Planet, which would have been really bad.
Speaker 3: Now it's the Arts and Entertainment Channel, which is so much better.
Speaker 1: Well, we're going to take a quick break and when we get back, we are going to talk about animals who get very lost and confused and sometimes you've got to hitch a ride on a banana for over four thousand miles.
Speaker 3: Oh, it's the best of us.
Speaker 1: So we're back. And there have been a number of instances where a wild animal accidentally hitchhikes and winds up in a strange new land. Some times this kills the animal, right like transporting an animal is not always safe. Sometimes the animal survives and just ends up escaping to the wild and becoming an invasive species. Uh. And sometimes people actually notice, hey, there's an animal here that's not supposed to be here, and both rescues the animal and prevents there from being a new invasive species. So this first story is in Staffshire, England. I think I said that right, Staffordshia, Stafford, Staffordshire, Stafford Shia, Staffordshi. Yeah. So they found a frog from the Dominican from the Dominican Republic in their Beninese that they got from Saintsbury, which is a grocery store. So the frog was a Hispaniola common tree frog. They are small, tan, innocent froggies. The family did the right thing, which is they did not touch it out of concern that there might be some transfer pathogens or it could be toxic. The frog is not, in fact toxic, but they did make the right call and not touching it directly because you know, it can be it could potentially be transferring pathogens one way or the other. And yeah, it came from over four thousand miles in a plastic bag of bananas, and so the family was like, well, that's not supposed to be in there. So they gave the frog to the RSPCA, which described the frog as bright and alert and has since been feeding. Well holds me, yeah right, yeah.
Speaker 2: He just made the greatest frog escape of all time. Congratulations, it was the prize.
Speaker 3: To be honest, I'm glad they recognized that, right. That's how they do it. In the Dominican every bag of bananas comes with a free frog.
Speaker 1: Bananas come with free frog. Yeah, I hate bananas.
Speaker 3: I was so mad.
Speaker 1: This is this is a fascinating anecdote from my life. I was so mad. I got a smoothie from a store which was just like a bottle of it, and it said it had Kiwi's apples and cucumber and match in it. I was like, great, these are all things that I enjoyed a varying extense. And then I tasted it. I was like, this is a this is banana. There's banana in this. And the second ingredient was banana, Like there was no indication there was any banana on it in it by the label of it. I had to look on the ingredients, which is stuff that I don't read because I don't have time. And I got I got stealth banana much a.
Speaker 3: Frog invasive banana, and you gotta And then.
Speaker 1: They were like and then the the third ingredient was the hispanical.
Speaker 2: Tree frog and some frog was in there.
Speaker 1: Why am I getting right? So that's the best part of it. Uh, it's just you know, it's it's a nice textural difference, like a boba.
Speaker 2: I think Harry Belafonte should add a verse to his song about picking bananas, because there's the one about Tarantula's. I think it could use a verse about about a frog making a daring banana escape across the ocean.
Speaker 1: Just A.
Speaker 3: That's a beloved children's movie, is what that is?
Speaker 1: There's this there's so there's a song about Tarantula is escaping from bananas.
Speaker 2: Well, it's about picking bananas. It goes day. Oh you probably heard it.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I know, I know that song. I didn't.
Speaker 2: Well, there's in the second verse he goes tiny, deadly black TORRENTIALA.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, okay, Now remember I probably should remember when I was in high school and I weighed like five pounds. Uh, I took a weightlifting class because I wanted to feel strong, and uh, the guy would play that every single day.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, that's a cult. I don't know what. I don't know what that's up to, but it's no good.
Speaker 1: I feel like it was to fortify us. It was to fortify us mentally as well as physically.
Speaker 2: Like it was for the purposes of like torture.
Speaker 1: Well, I think it was too inur us to torture. So if we're ever if we're ever tortured, we're like, I'm good. I listened to day.
Speaker 3: Or come to come to the y for my CIA Interrogation Resistance Techniques SLASH Weightlifting class for young women.
Speaker 1: Exactly that's a training high school super soldiers. So yeah, the frog was saved onto the next animal hitchhiker. The Colorado Zoo had an animal accidentally bring itself into the zoo, which does not use happened a marmot hid in the wheelwll of a truck bound from the Rocky Mountains all the way to Denver to the zoo, which is it's like it's it's kind of like the whole Shawshank redemption, but like in reverse, like you're sneaking in to the animal jail.
Speaker 3: It's like climbing into the wheelheel of a plane or something. You just right just going to on an adventure.
Speaker 1: Do you guys know what a marmot is?
Speaker 2: Vaguely?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like, I mean, groundhogs are a type of marmot. It's a species of marmot, and then there's a lot of various other species of marmot there. Usually the other species are bigger than a groundhog. But yeah, just like think of a groundhog and maybe a bit bigger, just a large, chunky rodent. And so this thing, yeah, it was like like almost got its way into Colorado. Do free meal ticket, never having to scrounge around for food again in his life. But they caught it and.
Speaker 2: Inspect they gave him a little like I'm sorry, just not the right fit for our zoo.
Speaker 1: They're not.
Speaker 3: Interesting enough, Damon, you know.
Speaker 1: What I mean. It was Matt. Yeah, it was Matt Damon trying to get to a little sum exactly. They caught him. I do think that, well, damon.
Speaker 2: Mark, I could see a kid being a little disappointed running into a marmot at the zoo. I think it's a there's an amazing that San Diego has an amazing zoo. But I'm pretty sure there's like a raccoon exhibit and you're like raccoons what like, like I left my trash out, Like this isn't a this is no special treat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's why. That's why they give them cotton candy, so that we can be entertained by their existential suffering. Every time they try to wash the cotton candy. It's the only way to make the raccoon really really pop up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta be honest, those get to me. Those I when I see that, I really understand the cruelty of man to give a raccoon cotton candy. It's just it's just so sadistic.
Speaker 1: I disapprove. I I too disapprove. I really don't think it's mean.
Speaker 2: It's funny, but I hate the part of myself that finds it funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's a it's exposing the monster inside of us. And I don't like it either. No, I agree. Uh yeah. So another another hitchhiker. This one is in New Zealand. Uh A Weka hitchhiked a ride in a family's Ford Ranger oot in May of this year. And I know what you're wanting your your question is you're what you're wondering is what's a Ford rangerot well Oot is an Australian slang for utility vehicle, which I guess is also used in New Zealand and Ford Ranger uh produces a line of utility vehicles.
Speaker 2: Yep, that's all we needed to know. Every other than that, more questions.
Speaker 1: Than that, ah yeah. Uh. In case you're you're somehow don't know what Owaka is. Uh it is also known as them they already hen It is a flightless bird from New Zealand. They're brown, about the size of a chicken. They have a large flat pointed beak. They eat bugs, small animals and fruit, and they've got long, weird toes and they live in forests and such as those found.
Speaker 3: We know they live in two places for SUTs than andots.
Speaker 1: They go into into you. Maybe it's utests or is it utes utes. I think it's because utility.
Speaker 3: Probably it's the accent. There you go, that's it.
Speaker 1: It's that one taking my eute out getting some wickas. Uh So, Uh yeah, there was a family who went to Bueller Gorge, which is a forest area. There's also a camping ground in uh which is in the on the west coast of the southern Island of New Zealand, and they apparently left their uh Ford Ford Ranger shoote door open. I'm trying to get the car correct. It's a sponsorship. I'm getting paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to mention them. And uh so, the the weka climbed right in. Apparently these are very bold, curious birds. So it was like wow, free truck climbed in, nestled itself among some blankets that were in the back, and they just drove back home with this flightless bird and did not notice it until they got home to christ Church, which is like a four hour trip. I don't know how this bird remained quiet enough.
Speaker 2: I raised chickens when I was a kid, so I can tell you that in four hours a chicken poops about seventy five pounds. I don't know how much of wecca poops, but I guarantee they had to burn that out.
Speaker 1: In fact, I can tell you because apparently when they got when this is actually in the story that was written up by the newspaper, when they got home they opened the back door, the Weca made eye contact with them and pooped, adding to the pile of poop that had accumulated over the past four hours, which was considerable. So they said that the back of their truck had been covered in Weca poop, and the Weca was like, what are you going to do about it? So what they did about it was they very gently uh took custody of the weka uh and then found uh the wildlife uh conservation UH place the New Zealand. Sorry, I'll do it in the Accident News Zealand Department a conservation where they took the Wicca. The Wicko was fine and apparently this is not news to the New Zealand Department of Conservation because they've had related weka incidents over the past months. Uh, when some wakas hit out in some camper's wetsuits and that's how they got that thought they got a take it home. Yeah, just uh two others, like two wekas went into a west.
Speaker 3: I don't know what was the wet suit in the.
Speaker 1: I did not know if the wet suit was in a newt with in a ute with the wiccka poop, but I know the wet suit had a wicca in it and it probably pooped in the suit.
Speaker 2: And the said I was talking with the wet suit. Did I surprise you with my expertise therapy? Were you like, there's no way Sean's going to see this poop twist coming? And then I'm like, oh, actually, I know that bird pooped everywhere in that truck.
Speaker 1: I was very pleased that I knew the answer to that question, because I could see you from from your smug little grin that you thought like, oh, there's no way she's gonna know how much this bird poop is Like I actually know and guess what it was a lot?
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: And the people who turned in the Weka were like, we're really glad they named the Wicca Ranger. Wait is there car? Yeah, because their cars named Ranger, get A, get A, get A Thesaurus. Anyways, the Wekas was named Rangers, so they were like really happy that uh Ranger Weko was brought back home by the conservationist organization. But they did say it took a lot of time to clean out the poop from the truck. So you are correct, Sean it pooped a lot and was proud I'll expertise. Yeah, So we're going to take another break and then when we get back, we're gonna talk about some costumes to get in the Halloween mood.
Speaker 2: I'm going as a wetsuit filled with wekas. I just leave a wetsuit outside for a few days and then I put it on after it's been filled.
Speaker 3: I like to do I like to do sexy Halloween costume. So I'm doing a bunch of bananas with a tree frog on it in like a tantalizing spot.
Speaker 1: Okay, you guys did make me think of one more Weka story. Apparently there was like some survivalist game show and someone like caught and ate a wkkou, which is actually a crime. You can't do that because they're protected species. And uh, so they got in trouble, but they're like, I had to do it to survive, and it's like, dude, you're on like.
Speaker 2: If you just.
Speaker 3: Camera.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Which, so that was a little bit. That was a mild weka controversy. So now onto animal costumes that you can recreate for your own spooky Halloween fun times. Uh. When rehabilitating animals, sometimes rescuers wear costumes in order to prevent the animals from imprinting on humans or becoming too familiar with humans, because if that happens, they may come and seek humans out, expecting food from them, which isn't good for the animals survival. For birds, it's bad because they got like they imprint on things really hard, and like if they imprint on a human, they might not even know that they're supposed to mate with other birds.
Speaker 2: Keep going with that problem, for they.
Speaker 1: Will like animals, some birds who imprint on human beings will indeed see human beings as potential mates and will like fall in love with them. This happens. This has happened with a number in a number of cases where they hopelessly fall in love with a human being, and it's an underquieted love usually hopefully hope to God. Anyways, So I've discussed this on the show before. Some of the famous examples are California condors, the chicks being raised by hand puppets, and so it's like these realistic condor hand puppets. Uh. And this is actually kind of by far the least weird one example of humans dressing up as the animal in order to rear them, because it's like, it's a pretty good condor puppet and it's on your on your hand, it makes sense. A little stranger is in bear A Boo, Wisconsin, rehabilitators wear whooping crane costumes, which are both a lot funnier and more unsettling.
Speaker 2: This looks like a plague doctor or something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is like a custody skin on a plague doctor.
Speaker 1: It's very weird. It looks like, yeah, it looks like some kind of priest in a bird culture. It's very weird looking. So the crane, the whooping crane, whooping cranes are big, like they're quite tall.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: They even the chicks are quite big, Like you can see these are tall. They like come up to your knees. Uh. And so the the rehabilitators dressed as the whooping cranes have to be outside with them, so they have to wear these white robes that cover their facial feet and then they're on their hand they have a similar to the condor rehabilitation. They have a whooping crane puppet, but then the rest of them is also covered in these like white robes, and they like can't talk because they don't want the whooping crane chicks to get used to human voices. So they're just dead silent walking around among these birds in these white flowing robes with like a bird hand puppet.
Speaker 2: Well I think they are. I think they're screaming. But when you wear the full set, it gives you like a seventy five percent stealth bonus.
Speaker 3: It's just for sure this is somebody I for sure fought this thing in clear obscure. This is like I know this.
Speaker 1: I mean to me, this looks like something from like elden Ringer. It's really somebody.
Speaker 3: Wants they've got like just a I don't don't even know what that's supposed to be. It's like part of a giraffe mask, like a stump or yeah, I mean.
Speaker 1: It's it's meant to just blend in with the it's very weird. It's I think it's just meant to kind of blend in with the background so that they don't pay attention to the face area.
Speaker 2: Saw this thing, they would just immediately charge.
Speaker 1: They would Apparently they try to like they try to sell, like they commit to the bit in front of the crane chicks, so like they'll like like, Okay, I gotta think of my hand as my head. It sounds like they're you know, Jim Hinson puppeteers are like I gotta like think about the hand as actually being my head. So like when I hear a plane going overhead, I like turn my hand to like look at the plane. So it's just these weird they look like coltists. It's very strange, but it's for the good.
Speaker 3: Is this how the guy dressed for the weightlifting class?
Speaker 1: All right? Children? Hat banana time.
Speaker 3: And only dances with the puppet head of the crane?
Speaker 1: Yeah, now that harvest you and Dina Chrome children? All right? So the next weird costume is bear cub that was rescued in San Diego, and so the San Diego Humane society decided we got to save this bear cub because, of course, but we can't let it be attached to humans. We don't want bears to get too used to human beings. And this is like a baby black bear. So black bears aren't particularly dangerous unless they feel threatened, right, So the key is really to make sure that they're not getting into human stuff too much and that they have a healthy fear of humans. So they can't just go in there with their dumb human bodies and take care of this bear. Otherwise it's gonna like turn into a Yogi bear situation and you have to euthanize it, and that's bad. So I'm not sure this.
Speaker 2: Is a real this is a real pervert photo you've sent us here.
Speaker 1: Yes, listen, Nicholas, Man, it looks a little bit like the Shining Uh photo. True. It's like a fluffy like a fluffy body suit with like fake bear fur, and the head is like a rubber mask, a quasi realistic rubber bear mask that kind of looks like it's smiling. Yeah, I mean it's not like it's not like a cartoon bear. It's not like a smoky the Bear cross.
Speaker 3: Like Hams Bear. It's it's cartoon.
Speaker 1: Wait, remember what's that like? Old like Disney animatronics show that.
Speaker 2: They it was like the Sounds Song of the South.
Speaker 1: Well there there was a Song of the South, but there was also like a bear. There was a bear anima.
Speaker 3: The act the jam Country Bear Jambres.
Speaker 1: Country Bear Jambre it is it is giving a little bit Country Bear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, scared out of me when I was a kid.
Speaker 2: This is kid Czechoslovakia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, kids, you you like kids have grown up on five Nights at Freddy's. So those are those like that game is based on actual animatronics that we when we were children were in real life subjective and attacked by and attacked by. Uh yeah, exactly so Country Bear Jamboree Bears truly one of the God. I'm looking at some pictures of the God. What were they? What were they?
Speaker 3: They're terrifying. I went to see eight or nine. The dad took me to Disneyland. It was like the last thing we did at night when nobody was around, Like everybody's left Disneyland, so it was just lost and like two weather kids for this whole show. Terrible.
Speaker 1: It's chilling. It's chilling because it's like, Okay, cute fluffy bear costume for the most part, and then a face that is like it looks like a Salvador Dolly painting. Right, It's like it's this weird, weird face.
Speaker 3: Do not move well, don't move like they're filled with snakes at all times.
Speaker 1: Which they probably are. So yeah, the baby bear is apparently not terrified from this bear, and it's like, ah, well, this this bear will grow up to not be too used to humans. But it's like it's almost like it's teaching this baby bear to see human purpose.
Speaker 3: Hanging out intel for sure.
Speaker 2: Really unset.
Speaker 1: So another another interesting costume choice is at a rescue center in Richmond, Virginia, they found a fox kit, which is a baby fox. Actually, when baby foxes come out, they're kind of a brown color or tan color. They're not that bright orange. But they did not want this fox kit to get used to humans because that would cause problems, so rehabilitators used a uh fox mask, and it does look a little bit like a deeply discounted furry mask, like because the furries. Furries range from the very cartoony masks right that kind of look like they're from Disney or something.
Speaker 3: To more realists, this is a water damaged second hand like refurbished from Craig Rights.
Speaker 2: This is the aftermath of a furry murder. I think is.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's furries actually come up with some pretty good masks and costumes. There's a lot of skill and talent there. This one is not that. This one looks like this one looks like it was. It's like a budget, a bargain bin budget furry mask that someone who's like just kind of get into the furry scene, but they're not yet bold enough to actually drop real money on it. So they get this mask. Shouldn't the scientists.
Speaker 2: Like maybe call for hey, local perverts, we're trying to can we borrow a nice mask to help the baby fox?
Speaker 1: Not all furries are perfects perverts, saying the perverts specifically would be most likely to have nice probably the most probably the most skilled. It's very perverts, right in a in the best way. We we love our We love our perverts, don't we, folks. So so yeah, no, that's what I was like kind of thinking this whole time, is like you actually, like for people furry artists right who make the costumes, would actually be a really good resource for these rehabilitation centers. But probably, I mean it's probably really expensive, is the problem. So I don't think these real rehabilitation centers are like flush with cash to like t get them.
Speaker 2: Secondhand, you're like some of these perverts. They got married. The wife's like, did you cannot dress like an animal anymore? And they're like, well, am I gonna do all these suits?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 2: And then you call them scientists.
Speaker 3: Human generosity on every level. If you asked the furry community we need this to help rehabilitate animals, they would donate their time and supplies, and then you would get really confusing text right off out of it too.
Speaker 1: Yep. I mean you know what, I think that that really is the best of both worlds. Donate. Donate your old furry suits, no question to ask. We don't we don't need to know, and we don't care, and we love and support you. Just you know, wash them and then donate them and then we'll use them to save baby.
Speaker 3: If they still have like working lactation mechanics, leave those.
Speaker 4: In Oh no, no, but maybe possibly uh so.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The last one is the one I personally find the scary. Oh my god, these are the rehabbers at the China Research and Conservation Center for the Giant Panda. These are pandas that are being reared to be released back into the wild. So again, they don't want them to get used to human beings. They want them to get used to pandas, which is why they're wearing these.
Speaker 2: Coss This looks like a guy which in disguise to rob a dollar tree.
Speaker 3: This is the perch. This is the guy. This is the guy you're most worried about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Perginite, this is bad news on purgean eights.
Speaker 1: This he looks they look like it looks like something kind of hastily sewn together, maybe from human flesh. Uh died to look like a panda by a psychopath who's like, you know, this is their this is their killer persona like the pernicious pan U going around.
Speaker 2: To be clear, killing a level one mob like you like you see this guy on Purge, you're winning that fight. It's just to like, let you know, the steaks are are going to get.
Speaker 3: The level of filth on that costume tells me he's got a lot of experience doing this. I don't think I'm winning that.
Speaker 1: You're right, you guys, You guys have a way with words. Could you like paint a visual picture of this costume for the audience, because uh sure, it's.
Speaker 3: An it's an executioners hood for pandas like, if you're going to kill panda, this is what you put on before you chop off its head.
Speaker 2: But with the texture, with the texture of a very old scrotum, and the and the filth of a very very old scrotum.
Speaker 1: Some of that filth is going to be panda piss and poop because they sprinkle themselves with panda.
Speaker 2: No, I don't think this is I don't think this is a scientist. I think this is a guy who found him very Uh.
Speaker 1: No, there's work to cover the going to work, they guys.
Speaker 3: Just this picture, you can see just off screen there's like a shut cage with a panda outside of it looking in. I don't think I think it's to protect the panda, right, I think this is where this guy lives. Like look at the wall.
Speaker 1: This is what sort of funny is in this picture. The man in the panda suit is in the enclosures, the panda is outside, and this is where we keep looking this guy, this guy scientist guy like doctoring there.
Speaker 2: He's like, yeah, totally the name you said, I'm that guy, I'm not it.
Speaker 1: It does look a little bit like the Panda Society found this guy and arrested them for being a permanent put him in panda.
Speaker 3: It's the I am legend of pandas.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, so that the costume is not particularly convincing to me. It's not fluffy, no fur on it. It's just kind of a it's like a so they're wearing like a black body suit made out of a jersey material and then sort of a I don't know, like a fleece like onesie over that that's white, and then a hood made out of Yeah, I mean it looks like an executioner's hood.
Speaker 3: But with this, it's like it's hanging off of him like it wasn't it was made for a man six times his size.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's got like a little black nose and a hole for the mouth. It looks very menacing and bad in a way that I just I the thing is, I this is my feeling. I don't think this is fooling the baby pandas, but I think it's still accomplishing the goal of scaring the crap out of them, so they will ever never want to get near a humans traumatizing.
Speaker 3: Why do you need the mouth hoole to feed pandas.
Speaker 1: Give them a kiss? You want to give them a little kiss on the nosy kiss on the noisy. Yeah, it's very disturbing. I don't like it, but you know, I assume they're doing good work militating.
Speaker 2: I assume quite the opposite. I assume all of this is pointless except for one mad man's boner.
Speaker 1: Anyways. So that's that's that. If you want in spo for your Halloween costumes, I'll include uh document in the show notes with these uh convincing in it for you to enjoy. Beforehere we go. We do guys play a little game called Gifts to Squawk and the Mystery Animal Sound game. Every week I play mister Animal sound and you the listener, and you the gifts. But I guess who's making that sound. It can be any animal in the world. The last week's mister Animal sound hint was this, They may look like squirrels, but they're more closely related to us. All right, let me share a sound with you. You won't hear it yet to audio share, all right, here we go. All right, you guys got any guesses.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's that uh Chinese panda doctor in the suit.
Speaker 1: Uh, Robert did say Lemur, which is actually very close. This is the pygmy marmose set. It's one of the smallest primates in the world and the smallest true monkey. So of the true monkeys and not the fake monkeys, this is the smallest. They're found in South America in rainforests, and they're very cute little guys. They are fluffy with golden brown fur. They've got long tails, and they live in little family groups and they can jump up to sixteen feet or five meters from branch to branch. They like to suck the juices out of trees. So what they do is they use their incisors to make incisions into the tree bark and they let the sap kind of goosehout, sort of ooze out, and then they eat that and that's their main food.
Speaker 5: That they I remember in a silk rage comics like sixties in earlier you could they would see ads for these little pigmy marmosets and you could just like order them comic book.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say that sounds like a great prize and a bunch of bananas, but if you could just order one directly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're very cute, I think. I think I've read about this. They would rarely survive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I imagine. Yeah, they probably shipped them like that. They just stuck them in some banana eggs.
Speaker 1: Little little Johnny could only keep the marmoset alive for a few weeks. Yeah, it was an interesting time. They would also like give you turtles, which I think caused a big invasion of non native turtles in the water systems in the US.
Speaker 2: I think that's uh, you have a good point that that's probably why we know they didn't survive because there's not a lot of marmosets running around. I've never seen a marmoset like in the park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it always feels like, you know, it's like, man, it'd be fun to have a bunch of marmosets like and baby invasive species. I get like, Look, I'm not in favor of invasive species because it's not good for the environment, but if they're gonna be there, be nice if it was cute ones rather than like boa constrictors and cane toads.
Speaker 2: Plus it would be just nice to see, like hawks taking out monkeys all day. I feel like people go outside more.
Speaker 1: That's probably one reason they're not very invasive, is there, just.
Speaker 2: Like monkey versus hawks taken out?
Speaker 3: Like, my money's on the monkey. Like a monkey can wield like a small blade of sometimes.
Speaker 1: It's a it's a very little monkey and it's a very little blade.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like surgical, give them a little surgical.
Speaker 1: Skill hawks have, like hawks have blades for fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not saying I'm saying it's coming out clean, but I'm putting my money on the blade monkey.
Speaker 1: Well, marmoset with like a butterfly and I'm tossing it from pompsong. I'm gonna get some winds now and then yeah, once in a while he's gonna get it's gonna get a hawk. All right. So, so this week's mister Animal Sounds the hints is justice rot row. All right, that's the sound that you get here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think that was a panda scientist. No, No, I think that might have been a fox.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, you gotta guess, is Robert.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna agree with Sean, but be more specific and say it's a fox seeing that guy in the fox mask.
Speaker 2: Yep, that was him saying oh sexy five. Oh no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 1: It's the existential dread of realizing your mother is just some guy in a fox mask that they got from spirit. Holliwa, we really all have why we go to therapy. Guys, thank you so much for joining me today. Hey out there, If you think you know who's making that animal sound, you can write to me at Creature feature Pott at gmail dot com. You can also write to me your animal related questions. Robert and Sean. Where can people find you?
Speaker 2: Robert, you're better at plugging? Why don't you do it?
Speaker 3: Oh? You can find us. You can find us on one nine hundred hot dog dot com or support us on Patreon dot com Slash one nine hundred hot Dog. You can listen to our podcast The Dog Zone nine thousand or our other podcast with Jason Parton where we watch every episode of Mountain Monsters. It's called Big Feats. Those are all the places where you can.
Speaker 2: And pre order Robert's upcoming book, I Will Kill your Imaginary Friend for two hundred dollars or he will go to jail. It's a long story.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's it.
Speaker 1: Is that the whole title of the book, or is Robert.
Speaker 3: Going it's if I could amend it, that would be the whole title of the book. I'm working on that. They say they don't want to redo the covers. I say, I don't want to go to prison, So we're it's something of an impasse.
Speaker 1: You could just write it and sharpie at the bottom.
Speaker 3: I will on every single one. They let me said, if you buy it, send it to me and I will write the full title, or I will go to prison underneath right.
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, you'll write the full title, or you'll go to prison full.
Speaker 3: Title, I will kill your imagine for two hundred dollars by Robert Brockway by it, or I will.
Speaker 1: Go to prison, yeah right, Or you'll go to prison, or or I'll just go problem.
Speaker 3: I'm probably just go in prison if we're being real, Yeah, in which case it could become a collector's item.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're sort of already in a prison of our own minds.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I don't want to go to the prison with the panda guy in it. That's the one a point, like I'm going to that filthy room with the guy in the pandam mask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you just go in. You see the guy just as the panda with the mouth whole. He's like, hey, what are.
Speaker 3: You in for? And I gotta say I didn't.
Speaker 1: Promote my my by Panda Emporium of London. Uh yeah, the Surprised Books, so he doesn't have to go there. If you're enjoying the show, you can leave a ratio or review that actually really does help me. And I read all the reviews and I take them to heart. And thanks to the Space Cossacks for their super awesome song. Exolumina Creature features a production of iHeartRadio. For more podcasts like the one you just heard, visit the iHeartRadio app Apple podcast very listening to your favorite shows. I Am not your mother, and you know this because I'm not wearing a terrifying fox mask and trying to feed you from a bottle while making fox noises. But you know what, I'll see you next Wednesday. Anyways, Bye bye