Speaker 1: R & B money. We are. Jake. Jake Valentine. We are the authorities on.
Speaker 2: All things R & B.
Speaker 3: Ladies and gentlemen, this is the R & B Money Podcast, and I'm your.
Speaker 1: Host, J. Valentine.
Speaker 3: And today, man, you know what? I've been waiting so long. The people have been waiting so long for this gentleman to pull up.
Speaker 1: And holler at a player, man.
Speaker 3: I mean, I know he didn't want to be a player no more, but he had to come holler at his player partner and talk about all the things, everything.
Speaker 1: You know what? We're going to talk about power today.
Speaker 3: The power of R & B music, my brother, the voice of all voices, Joe.
Speaker 1: Motherfucking Thomas is in the building today. Yes. Appreciate you, man. Oh, my brother. Brother, listen, when I'm on this mode, but that's what's up. When I tell you the harassment. Yeah.
Speaker 4: That we receive. About Joe Thomas.
Speaker 1: Come on, let's talk.
Speaker 4: Being on the R & B Money Podcast.
Speaker 1: It's love.
Speaker 4: You are loved out here.
Speaker 1: I appreciate it. You know that? I do. I do. I appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Because if you don't, you're going to find out. I'm talking about everywhere we go. I mean, I'm sure you've heard when people do their top five lists. You are a constant. The way we feel about you and this thing, bro, that we call R.
Speaker 4: & B music.
Speaker 1: It's love, man. It's real, brother.
Speaker 3: And I've been able to see it with my own eyes just from a fan and as a fellow brother in this game.
Speaker 1: Indeed.
Speaker 4: Side of the stage watching you, when I say cook.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir. 30 years, cook. Yeah, man. Yeah. Wonderful.
Speaker 4: How you feeling, bro?
Speaker 1: I'm blessed, man. I tell you, God is so good. You know, just the journey I've been on has been an amazing journey. It's been an amazing ride. I've got a chance to express myself in this industry.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Make a mark, you know, and that's a beautiful thing for me. You know, I love what I do. I love the music. I'm passionate about it. You know, if I see a guitar or some drums, I may jump on that thing. Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm one of those kind of guys, those artists that's really embedded into it. Absolutely. Absolutely.
Speaker 4: Man, so, you know, on our show, man, we like to go back.
Speaker 3: And, you know, I know you are a Georgia slash Alabama from the deep south.
Speaker 4: But Jersey.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. Sprinkled in.
Speaker 3: Sprinkled in. Man, tell me the original hometown.
Speaker 1: Man, I was born in a little city called Cuthbert, Georgia. Okay. Where's that by? What's the next major city? Well, yeah, it would be Columbus, Georgia. Or maybe a couple hours from Atlanta as well. Okay. Yeah, so my grandparents, I lived there, and my father, my father's side of the family, and, you know, don't know much about the city, didn't live there or anything, so I moved from there. My father started ministering around 19 or 20 years old, married my mom a year after that, and my brother a year after that, and everything just became godly, you know? A minister at 19? Yeah, yeah, he was on. He was a crusader, man. I mean, he set up his... His microphone, his speakers, his guitar. That's why I learned how to play guitar. Got you. Got it. Yeah. He, I mean, they had me in the right environment. I mean, the church environment was the perfect place for me. I got a chance to really hone my skill. Yeah. Lock it in. All the instruments.
Speaker 3: So it was, it was never a question for you. It was, it was always, you were going to be a vocalist. You were going to sing from day one.
Speaker 1: Not really. No, not really. I remember doing a, auditions and talent shows when i was in columbus georgia once i moved and graduated high school in atlanta in atlanta diago and opelika um and i remember doing this uh showcase with babyface and and uh la reed brought my guitar and everything so you know got in front of them yeah and they passed on me at that point you know but then i a year later i moved to new jersey and Man, I just started going from church to church and playing guitar for churches, and they just, nobody knew I could sing. Yeah. I wasn't the guy trying to go for the singing status. So what were you going as? Just a musician. I just wanted to be a musician. You just wanted to play. I just wanted to play. I just wanted to do music.
Speaker 3: So when you think about it now, many moons, would you have had a past on you? Do you think you were ready?
Speaker 1: I was. You were ready, though. You feel like you were ready. I mean, well, a year later, I was already, I'm in the game, damn near. Yeah. You know, so I was there. Someone saw that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Particular point. And I never got a chance to talk to Face in LA about it. They were here about it now. Yeah, absolutely. I don't know. They watched the show. They've been on the show. Yeah, I don't know if they even remember that. But that's, you know, that's neither here nor there. Yeah. So once I got the jersey, everything just clicked. I mean, once you get around other musicians, everybody starts calling, hey, we need a guitar player. We need this. We need a writer. And I was in the mix. Making it happen. You know, path trained from Jersey to New York every day. So what got you to Jersey? From down south. Some good friends. You know, God is so good, man. He sent some good friends my way. My dad, obviously, is a minister. And some family members from down south had a church. And my dad would go to their church and minister. And I was a young kid playing the instruments behind my dad, supporting him. Yeah. And the family from up north came down from Jersey. Gosh. And they saw me, this young kid, on the keyboards. And it's like, yo, you want to go? play ball and hang out. We did that. How many instruments? I had a middle Jersey, everything but wind instruments. I'm not, not a, I have asthma. I had it all my childhood. You would not be able to tell by the way you sing, brother. I still got a pump. I carry a pump to this day. No shit. Oh yeah. Yeah. I got to have that thing. But yeah, I enjoy instruments. Instrument is a beautiful thing. Guitar is my favorite. So yeah, I mean, I play pretty much all the, all the instruments. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So when you get to Jersey, How long does it take for you to get recognized? I'm talking about as far as either getting your first deal. Did you get a publishing or a record deal first?
Speaker 1: My first deal was publishing. Big shout out to Keith and Noel. Keith Miller, Noel Goring out of Jersey, Newark, New Jersey. Man, we got together and just put some music together and body work. Keith plays bass. Phenomenal bass player. Oh, my God. One of the greatest in the game. Noel Goring played keyboards as well. Phenomenal producers, these two. And we started a team called Black Hand Production. And we ran into a guy by the name of Vincent Herbert. I saw you guys do an interview with him. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So were you in the barbershop?
Speaker 1: I was going to correct that. Okay, all right, because I heard you was in the barbershop, man. Yeah, no, no. I was going to ask for a fade or something while you were sitting. No, no, it wasn't a barbershop. What I worked at was a music store. It was a record store. Okay. It was on Chancellor Avenue. And anybody that's from Jersey, from Newark, know Chancellor Avenue. Valley Fair. I lived in between Lyons and Chancellor in Jersey. So I worked at the music store and Vince came in. I can't remember the conversation, but there was an invitation to a session, I believe. And then we showed up. Yeah. You know, one was Vanessa Bell Armstrong, gospel singer. Absolutely. Doing background vocals on a song called Everlasting Love. Wow. Co-wrote that record with Vince. And then we went on to do some stuff with Tony Braxton. We don't have the credit for it, but we wrote How Many Ways for Tony Braxton. Yeah. Me keeping it well.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: All right. All right. We had our early, early hands. Army money exclusives. Yeah. Army money exclusives.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So really, really cool, man. Really cool industry that I started out in. Just on the back burner. Learning the game. Behind the scenes, learning the game, learning how to produce. Yeah. How to work the controls and how to produce, you know, how to learn, you learn how to work the drum machine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Things like that. I really was really invested in everything when it came to the studio. The mixing, all of the above. I want to know everything. Most people don't know that about you, right? You got to really be a... Push the buttons.
Speaker 3: You got to really be a student of the game to know that you've chosen when you wanted to be or when you didn't want to be a 100%er.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like, you're one of the guys. And it's not many of y'all. You're one of the guys. You know what I'm saying? That literally, we could all walk out this studio, leave you in here, and we'll come back and you got a record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, finished. Everything done. Yeah. Where are the instruments, by the way? I know Tink plays kicks. Where are the instruments? Well, I don't play no instruments, man. You don't play? No, I don't play. I don't play, man. So, you know, ain't no instruments here today, man. It's all good. It's all good.
Speaker 3: I mean, we probably can go find you something if you want to get out.
Speaker 1: It's all good, man. I just enjoy the music and I would love to see, you know, the industry, the music industry embrace, you know, musicians and Artists that sing and play.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I love Leon Thomas so much.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Leon is incredible. Yeah. I mean, you don't have to do that. I mean, you know, Michael didn't play. You know, he didn't play any of Smith's, but everything was on the inside. He can articulate it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And he understood it. He can tell you what he want. Yeah, he can tell you exactly that.
Speaker 3: And I think that's a big thing with artists is being able to, like you said, articulate what you're looking for.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And sometimes you just got to find the right people that can help you convey that.
Speaker 1: Pull us together. Quincy was his perfect, you know. Yeah, his muse. Yeah. Yeah, absolutely. So, you know, I was so fortunate and blessed to just be able to know music in a way where I can You know, have that conversation with anybody that is a musician and say, this is what I need. This is what I want. If it's something that needs a little bit more bite, a little bit more edge, I know what it is. I can point it out. You know how to get to it. I can know how to get to it right away. Yeah. I like recording my own vocals, too. I don't like engineers and people in the room. I like to do my own thing. Okay. So, you know, my system is set up where I can just work and go for it.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: You just push record. You get to it. I just go. Yeah. Anytime of the day and as quick as I want to go. Yeah. It's fun.
Speaker 3: So before you make that jump, was there ever a point where you thought of being a gospel artist?
Speaker 1: Never. Never? Never. Our respect to the gospel singers, that's a tall order, brother. Yes, it is. That's a tall order. Yes, it is. I feel like for me, the reason why I didn't do it is because if you're going to sing about God and You know, I feel like you got to take that walk with him, too. You got to be on that same page. Yeah. And knowing that I wasn't there, you know, I felt it might be a little hippie.
Speaker 4: You had jumped off the porch.
Speaker 1: Yeah. He was like, ah, yeah, yeah, yeah. So the respect of it all was for me to, you know, if I'm going to do it, you better be all the way in. Got you. You got to be all the way invested. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So what leads you to your first record deal?
Speaker 1: Just playing around, man. Was it Polygram? It was Polygram. Your first deal? Polygram. Mercury Records. Polygram. Polydor was the parent company. And that's where Dave McPherson was. Dave McPherson. Yeah. Our guy. Yeah. The guy that believed in me, saw me, and took a chance. He started out first as an A & R as well. First time out. First time out for him. First time out for me. Okay. Okay. And that's just how well God works. I mean, he puts people and things in your, in your, in your path. That's going to work out for you. Yeah. You're a great artist.
Speaker 4: You're a great artist to be the first artist you go inside.
Speaker 1: We, we both had no idea what this was going to become, but hard work, perseverance and, and, and the faith and belief that, you know, things are going to work out and God put you in a situation, you know, for, for the right things. And, Just trust the process. Even with this album that I'm working on right now, it's been taking, it's taken me about 10 years to, to do. But, um, I tell my team, listen, I'm not just going to throw anything out there. Trust the process. You know, God has his hands on all of this. Trust it. You know, just let it happen. Absolutely. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: So when you get your first deal, does your life change immediately with the deal? Or was it, you know, cause some people got a certain bag, some people got, you know, a little bit of none, just enough to last.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Did you, did you, were you in a position now to be like, okay, I can, I can freely do music.
Speaker 1: Not at all. And I might, can buy me something. Not at all. My first deal was a publishing deal. Okay. 45 K was the check. And I had to split it with my two guys. So I spent 45. Can you dig it? Yeah. Team five or 13, something, right? You, you, you were close. The math is good. And I took that money. And I bought a recording studio. That was the first thing I bought. I bought a recording studio. And I bought a little whip. I needed something to play my music. You got to get around. Ride around and listen to music. I still do that to this day. The car test. Yeah, the car test. I can't just make music and not listen to it. And it's got to be a nice whip. I just can't do it in any kind of whip. So what was your first whip? What's your first whip, man? My first whip was a 190E. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. I was trying to be big dog. I see what she was doing. Without big dog money. Big dog without big dog money.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I was trying to live the life. It was on the way. I was on the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I had to see what it felt like. But it was, it was a wonderful thing, man. Um, you know, when you dream and, and I used to play that, that's my car when I was a kid. Uh, I don't know if people in any are old enough to remember. That's my car. Absolutely. That's by you. Yes. And, uh, So when I got a chance to buy me one, it was a Mercedes. I had a Mercedes. So that's what you got with the first deal. That's right. So now you're working on that first album.
Speaker 4: What is your focus?
Speaker 3: Because when I listened to the first album, I felt like you was in the New Jack Swing stage. Was that what you were going for? Was that what the industry was pushing for at the time? Because that's what was going on.
Speaker 1: That's kind of what I was going for. And the industry was doing that as well. In hindsight, I didn't know that it was on its way out, you know, in terms of that style of R & B music. But what I really was going for was just good music, man. I just wanted to make something that felt good. Yeah. My first album, you know. Man, it's one of those critically acclaimed from the music community. Because it's one of those records when your first album, you want to just show out. You want to just go as hard as you can. You give your whole life to make it. Show people your chops and what you got. So when I did that album, I was trying to go at everybody's neck. I didn't care who it was. I felt I was a better singer than everybody out there. So I was coming at everybody with that first record. Kelly, Aaron Hall. Bobby Brown, you name him.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: I was going after him. Right. Y'all ain't got nothing on me. And that was my mindset.
Speaker 4: But that has to be the mindset.
Speaker 1: It's still that way. It's still that way. It has to be the mindset. I'm sorry, fellas. Y'all my dogs, but I'm still coming at them. Like, I believe in collaboration.
Speaker 3: I believe in showing love. But there also has to be a competitive fight.
Speaker 1: Man, without that, I don't think music is going to be as exciting. Yeah. You know? And that's why I miss Kel sometimes, because he used to push me.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That was a motivation tool for me. It's like, this dude does not miss when it comes to these. Yeah.
Speaker 4: His run was crazy.
Speaker 1: He doesn't miss. Yeah. And he's such a genius. And he got, God has his hands on always music career. You can just feel it. So yeah.
Speaker 4: How, how was that during that time where you're like, all right, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You got another one, dog. This shit is crazy. I'll tell you this. I mean, being on, on Mercury and he was on job records. Correct. And that's the only person I could see. That reminded me of myself. You know, self-contained, can play the instruments, sing the instruments, produce them, write them. And I watched the label. I watched Jive. I said, yo, I love what they're doing, but they understand this guy. They know what to do with his career as an R & B singer. So I said, all right. I left Jive. I mean, I left Mercury after the first album. And I was solo for about maybe a year. I didn't have a label. Then I released All the Things Your Man Won't Do on a soundtrack.
Speaker 4: So that song is released before you have a deal?
Speaker 1: Before I got a deal. Yeah. Because I was freelance after Mercury.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And yeah, they was throwing money at me. I was about to say. They was throwing crazy money.
Speaker 3: Now you was a big dog driving the big dog car.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I didn't take the money. I didn't go for the money.
Speaker 4: So Jive wasn't, they didn't offer you the most money.
Speaker 1: I didn't go for them. No, they didn't. Nah. He took the best deal for you. I believed in them. I said, you know what? I understand it. I understand how God's system. And I know this is going to work for me because it works easily and simply for him. Just follow the same blueprint in terms of promotion and everything we need to do. This is simple. Y'all got it already.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: And they understood it.
Speaker 3: I don't want to breeze over what I consider, and I'm going to say this out loud.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think you have the greatest sophomore R & B album of all time. Wow.
Speaker 1: In my opinion. All that I am. All that I am. Thank you, sir. It is a 10 out of 10. Man, thank you.
Speaker 3: And I will fight, argue, and niggas know I like to fight, and I'm an aggressive, light-skinned nigga, man.
Speaker 1: Not you.
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: You look like you bruise easily. I want all of the smoke, especially when it comes to this shit. Like, I stand on what I believe in. You know what I mean? And that record, brother.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it, brother. Thank you. It felt like you were on a mission to prove something. Jive was invested in me. They understood who I was. They sent me to Nashville, Tennessee. Okay.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: I was there for two weeks. No one else comes close. Wayne Perry and Gary Baker also wrote I Swear. Oh. Right. Okay. So we sat down in this room with a piano, didn't touch the piano, just three acoustic guitars, and wrote No One Else Comes Close. That also went on to be re-recorded by Backstreet Boys.
Speaker 4: Backstreet Boys. They still perform it to this day. They're doing it at the Spear.
Speaker 1: It's a hit for them. Yeah, yeah. It's a hit for them. Yeah. And so my original song, you know, that I wrote in Nashville, Tennessee. Yeah. That's how dope job was. They understood this is a real artist. And that's what you signed up for. That's what I signed up for. I wasn't going with no gimmicks. Money will come later. I wasn't concerned about money. You know, that comes. I was a poor kid. I grew up poor. Yeah. But when God has his hands on your life, man, just step out the way. Let him work for you.
Speaker 4: But you also had a very unique.
Speaker 3: Situation that obviously like yourself, Kales, Tank, you guys controlled the budget too, though, because you guys were producers.
Speaker 1: They love us for that. What?
Speaker 4: They had to redo publishing deals because of y'all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man.
Speaker 3: They couldn't do the whole, you can have eight songs on one album thing no more. They was like, Hey man, these guys are getting through these deals too fast.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So obviously from a business standpoint, and that's what I, you know, that those are the conversations I love to have because most people don't understand that, that an artist who is able at a high level to do that can have more control of a lot of different things. So you can say, you know what? I don't need as much advance from the artist's advance side because I'm going to get a producer's check anyway.
Speaker 1: Right. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 4: And I can get the best records I need to get.
Speaker 1: That's right. That's right.
Speaker 3: And that album, man, like, you know, I'm going to read down. I'm going to read down just so people know.
Speaker 1: All the things. Rewind me.
Speaker 4: The love scene. Don't want to be a player.
Speaker 1: Wow. Which became another double record because. That's me already.
Speaker 3: It turns into, you know, the record with you and Big Pun.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying? Mega hit. Good Girls. Another one. How Soon. Wow, I should do that in the show. That's a good one. Of course, All That I Am.
Speaker 3: But I'm just going off the ones that mean something, that are a special place for me, brother.
Speaker 4: No One Else Comes Close, which is a copyright.
Speaker 1: Mm-hmm. That's a copyright. That's a copyright, man. You know what I mean? Copywritten. Love Don't Make No Sense. Bro, what were you on, bro? You know what's crazy about that record? I didn't want to keep that record. I tell them I made that for Mary J. Love Don't Make No Sense was for Mary J. Blige.
Speaker 2: I try to make the best of a bad situation. Always gave too much, you never gave in return.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Never could convince you to meet your obligations. Guess it took me walking out before you could learn.
Speaker 1: Yo, Mary would have killed that record. Oh, my God. It reminds me I'm not going to cry and all that joy. Yeah. Did you play it for her? Did you even have a chance? No, no, I never played it for her. The label refused to let me play it. They was like, we got to have this. They didn't want to let me give it to her. They said, no, you're keeping this record. Yeah, that's what happened. It would have been big with Mary, though, in my opinion. I felt it because it wasn't meant for me. Yeah. I wrote it specifically for her.
Speaker 3: Mary, can you just remake Love Don't Make No Sense, please?
Speaker 1: That would be amazing. Love don't make no sense. I can't think in my mind. So many songs. The new album. Oh, gosh. Yes, sir. Yes, sir. This new album.
Speaker 4: What do you call the new album?
Speaker 1: No, I got so many titles. Dress Accordingly could be one. That song is incredible. Dress Accordingly. I don't know what I'm going to call it, man. Maybe My Name is Joe Part 3 or something.
Speaker 4: Did you get in your producer's bag again for this project?
Speaker 1: The whole album. Written, produced, yeah. Top to bottom. Top to bottom. Top to bottom. It's cold, too. This thing is cold, man. Oh, I can't. I want to play some stuff so bad. I ain't going to do it. Do whatever you want, brother. You know what I mean? You can do whatever you want, man. We here on your time. Oh, man. This stuff is so good. But anyway, yeah.
Speaker 3: So now you've come back with this monster of a solo project, the second album.
Speaker 4: You've proven your point. You've proven your point.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: you start getting the phone calls as a producer and a writer even more. Like now you're working with escape. You, you know what I'm saying? You, you, you writing these records. And at a time, most people didn't know you were writing these and producing these records.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Was that on purpose that you were kind of keeping that on the low or was it just like.
Speaker 1: No, nobody reading, writing credits back then. Yeah. And plus I was, I was never a boastful talk your shit kind of guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, I was always very humble about it. You know, at the same time. Like, brother, you wrote... Yeah, I did that. You wrote Softest Place on Earth. Like, come on, bro. Like... Come on, man. Yeah, that's the cut, too, boy. So... There's a glowing and a feeling. I got to escape. Let's do the thing, man. No, go ahead. I'm with you. When did you connect with Joshua Thompson? Oh, man. That was... Your partnership is.
Speaker 4: It's not spoken about enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Joshua Thompson, man. There's only a few, a handful of musicians, guitars, writers in, in the game. That is that good. What I've learned, that is my teacher. Josh is really my teacher. Yeah. I've learned so much, not just with guitar, but from songwriting, melody, spacing, timing. Um, this is just a gift from God for me. I mean, I met Josh. He had, when I met him, man, he barely had a bank account. Um, Sorry to talk about your personal life, Josh. You my dog, though.
Speaker 4: That made a lot of money. People need to hear your story.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. I mean, I'm saying, man, wow. Came around with just coins in his pocket. And when I heard him play guitar, it was over. I said, oh, yeah, I need you. Yeah. I need you. You're going to stay here. We're going to get it together. And one of the first songs we wrote was Good Girls. Wow. Magic started happening. immediately with me and Josh because we understood each other. We spoke the same language when it comes to guitar. Yeah. So the conversation was just like, yo, that's it, play that again. As we were just jamming around, yo, play that one more time, just run that back. And then it just automatic magic happens every time. So I'm saying like this album, me and Josh. Now I have another guy that I wrote with, I want to know, Charlie and Skinner, who's out of the UK. Yeah. I've written a bunch of tunes with them. Absolutely. The three of us, you know, crafted the album together. Man. All the hits I've written with these two guys. Special. They are special. Special, bro. Yes, sir.
Speaker 3: And I mean, and that's, we'd love to highlight that. We'd love to highlight, you know, the people that are behind.
Speaker 1: Those are the guys that don't get the credit. Yeah. Not enough credit. Yeah, but. Because now, especially now, you don't have a sleeve.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you don't even have that no more. You got to go search for credits now.
Speaker 1: And I appreciate those who do. You know what I mean? Yeah. Those ones, I appreciate you guys. You stand out to me. And that means a lot for you to care enough to want to know who is behind all of this stuff. So that's right.
Speaker 3: So are you now, you're in this space, you got these hit records. Is it world tour time?
Speaker 1: Never stopped touring. I never stopped touring. COVID was the longest drought I had. Ever? Ever.
Speaker 4: So you get on a road. As soon as you get your first hit record, you're gone.
Speaker 1: Oh, man. Yeah. Before I had my first hit, I was on the road. I used to tour with, well, I started out my first tour and was with Tony, Tony, Tony. Yeah. My guys, man. They hear you. And you won't believe this. Another tour I did was with Leaders of the New School. Yeah. Busta Rhymes. He probably won't remember that. Joe and Leaders of the New School. Can you imagine?
Speaker 2: Right, right.
Speaker 4: But that's how those tours used to be back then.
Speaker 1: No, they just like, listen. Yeah.
Speaker 4: We're going to put all y'all on the road.
Speaker 1: That's right. Whatever crowd show up, y'all just got to perform. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: But you learn how to work a crowd in any space.
Speaker 1: Different energies. Old school, young school, you know, whatever culture it is. We try to make fun of every moment. Make it make sense. Clarity. Like my thing to be clean. I like my sound to be clean. Everything has to be pure and clean.
Speaker 4: Do you still rehearse?
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 4: You're a baseball player now. You just play games every day.
Speaker 1: I'm kind of retired with the rehearsing. But it is important that we... When they do audio, I'll rehearse and record all the audio so everybody has it all on the same page. I don't need to be at every one. So you don't go to soundcheck every now and then? Because soundcheck is... It can be a disappointment. It's a hit and miss. Yeah. You know, you show up for soundcheck, it sounds great. You get to the show, it's completely different.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, I usually don't go to soundcheck as much now. Yeah.
Speaker 4: How have you preserved your voice?
Speaker 1: Well, recently I quit drinking. I'm now sober for about six months. Congratulations, brother. Thank you very much. Yes. And so that's doing tremendous for me, but I think just being on the road all the time is how I keep my voice strong. I utilize it. You know what I'm saying? I keep it oiled.
Speaker 4: You got some tricks, man.
Speaker 1: When I'm not home, I'm recording. So I'm always singing. I'm always using my voice. So I think that's one thing that people should understand is that just play around singing. Sing all the time. Get on people's nerves singing. But it keeps your chops up. It keeps your voice strong. So the more you sing, the stronger. It's like anything.
Speaker 3: You don't have no certain like, okay, I got to have a certain tea with a ginger.
Speaker 1: No, no. You're not one of those guys? Not at all.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I probably drink nothing. at this point when I go on stage because. I don't know. I mean, I'm not not really. When you get in your dressing room, you got to. Some people ask for certain color M & Ms and.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm not one of those guys. I keep it simple. I want to go do my job, do a great job, and get back. Yeah. And go into the next one. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, man, what you've been doing over these years, man, is to be studied.
Speaker 1: Appreciate it. In my opinion. You know, like it's... I stay in my lane. Yes. And I stay off of social media. I don't mess with social media. You don't do it at all. I don't touch it, bro. Why is that? I'm like Sade. Okay. All right.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: I don't like doing interviews. I'm not a big fan of doing interviews. Well, I appreciate that. I don't take none. I'm not a big fan. I'm just appreciative that you pulled up on me. That makes me feel. You're my dogs, man. You know what I mean? I appreciate what y'all do. And I felt like, you know, this is a part of, this is for the culture. Yes. A thousand percent for the R & B fans. And if I don't do it, I don't really care enough in terms of, Letting them know what's going on with one of the hottest, with the hottest show. Thank you. On streaming right now. Thank you, man. Congratulations to you guys. Thank you, bro. I don't know why this dude couldn't be here, man. You know why he not here. What does he normally sit, right there?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Man, you know that brother wants to sing, man.
Speaker 1: I know. He want to sing.
Speaker 3: And I want to ask you something because there's been some controversy about the singing he's doing right now.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 4: Because he chose... to go on tour with Chris and Usher.
Speaker 1: Get that bag and be humble. And sing background. Be humble, get that bag.
Speaker 4: Would Joe sing background?
Speaker 1: I would. I love singing background. Yeah. I'd rather be the background singer than the lead singer. Oh, shit. Yeah. I'd rather sit back and chill, man. You got it, bro.
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah. You got it? You got it? Yeah, yeah, yeah. Go sign them autographs. Go take them pictures, dude.
Speaker 2: Ha, ha.
Speaker 3: And I ask that question because, like I said, there have been artists who are just like, ah, I couldn't see me doing it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's a bit of ego sometimes involved in that. I mean, it depends on who asks you as well. Yeah. Who's asking. No, it's the biggest tour in the world. It's the biggest tour. They're the biggest artists in the world. Yeah. And they're brothers, too. You know, they get along with each other. And I'm sure the bag is pretty good. Maybe even better. Who knows? Right. With that tour. I don't see anything wrong with it. I think it's a great idea.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know. So that's where our brother is. Kudos to him, man. Kudos to you. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Get that bag, brother. He's out there.
Speaker 4: He comes out with his shirt off when he does something.
Speaker 1: Of course. I'm like, bro, you're doing some crazy, man. And I hope he's doing a couple of his songs out there as well.
Speaker 2: He is.
Speaker 1: That's another audience for him. Yep, yep. It's a good thing. Yeah, so him, Mario, and Eric Bellinger. Oh, I know they're killing it. Oh, they're killing it. The harmony's insane.
Speaker 4: Killing it, bro. They are, like, that's, it's an avenger.
Speaker 1: Eric B. is something special, man.
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: That kid is something special. I want to see him win, win. We all do. So humble, so kind. Great guy. And so talented.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So good. So big shout to Eric B. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So let's get back to Joe. Let's get back to Joe.
Speaker 3: Because I wanted to ask that, though, because it is, you know, it is a topic of conversation right now within the R & B world. And, you know, you are a king of R & B. So, you know, I wanted to ask you how you felt about that.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: You know, and now, like you said, I think you answered it flat out. I love to sing.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay.
Speaker 4: I love to sing.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Yeah.
Speaker 4: So now you're getting into, you know, My Name Is Joe.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What is your mindset now that you've got to hit records, you've written records for multiple artists at this point, because now people are calling in that space. And now you're getting into this third album. What are you going into that album thinking and wanting to do?
Speaker 1: I'll do the second one.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think that's everybody's mindset. It's like you want to do better every time you come out, each time around. I knew All That I Am was a good album, and it was sort of spread out in terms of styles. You had tempo, you had ballads, you had pop. But then I want to know, It came along and became something that was like, okay, well, we got a mix of R & B and... And the label didn't really understand that yet. They didn't know what that record was built like. I didn't know either, to be honest with you. And was that on the soundtrack too? That was also another soundtrack. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I used to love that that could do that with music back then.
Speaker 1: Can you imagine having two support systems? Yes. Your label and the soundtrack. And the soundtrack, yeah. I had the best situation, man. I did a few of those records like that. Soundtracks really helped propel my career as well. But that third album, putting the third album together, man, it was like, okay, we did good on, you know, sold a few millions on album number two. Let's go even harder. How can we compete with ourselves and try to make this third album even better? Just better your writing, better your subjects. You know, talk about something super close and super deep and It's going to touch the audience. Give them what you do. Don't think too hard about it. Stay in the lane that you created for yourself, but also mess with a few other things out here as well. Touch hip-hop a little bit more. So the album was really just R & B, but it was kind of influenced by a lot of different worldly music, different genres. And that's how I like to look at it. I don't know where it's going to come from or how it's going to hit me, but if it hits me right in that moment, I got something for it. Like if it hits me, I got something for it. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I felt like with that album, you were, it was time from the outside looking in.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh, he want the crown. I toned it down too. I wasn't trying to overseen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But I learned a lot more.
Speaker 3: And I think that that is, at times it's tough, especially when you come from the church to make it more commercial and to make it, you know, more digestible to the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because when you are amazing singer, like you are, it gets to a point where you just like, sometimes you just, you just showing out for yourself.
Speaker 1: Cause ain't nobody, can't nobody else do that. That's tank. I feel about tank sometimes. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And we've had, and I say that because I've worked so closely with him and we've worked on those albums to a point where I'm just like, bro, like, you know, ain't nobody gonna be able to sing that.
Speaker 4: Right. I'm like, you're just getting your shit off.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I respect it. But here's the thing. Do it. Do it. Put something out of my reach. I want to be like, oh, my God, that was amazing. But you're absolutely right about keeping it simple. Everybody wants to sing along with you, man.
Speaker 4: Everybody could sing Stutter.
Speaker 1: Everybody could sing Stutter. Everybody could sing Stutter. Everybody could sing I Want to Know.
Speaker 4: And shout out to my homeboy, man.
Speaker 1: Ernest. Bishop Young Don.
Speaker 3: I had known him when he was in a group with his guys, Talent.
Speaker 1: Talent, yeah.
Speaker 4: Back in Kansas City. And I watched him catch those records.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I remember having those phone calls with him when it was all happening.
Speaker 1: Boy. Yeah. Man? He said, boy, boy, Bishop the Young Dog. Oh, boy, I'm killing the boy. He said, Joe going crazy.
Speaker 3: Y'all had a number one record in the world.
Speaker 1: He got plenty of number one records. But that was the kickoff. Get him on here, man.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm absolutely going to bring that crazy man on here.
Speaker 1: I love him, man. I got so many funny stories. I was like, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You of them.
Speaker 3: So when you got, when you, I feel like when you got that record though, it started to really truly show that, okay, it's more than just R & B.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean? Especially when y'all did the remix.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You were mystical.
Speaker 3: It was like, all right, this, okay. Joe is, Joe going somewhere else. He's really competing all the way around.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going to be honest with you. I never wanted to just be in a ballad singer. I didn't want to just do ballads. I want to be in arenas and places where it's energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And you got to have tempo. Tempos.
Speaker 4: You have to have tempo. Keith Sweat always told me that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So those tempos were crucial. And I made it a point where if I did do tempos, because it's hard for R & B to have a hit tempo.
Speaker 4: Especially with a big voice.
Speaker 1: With a big voice. Let's keep it real. They tend to over sing.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So most of the guys who got hit up tempo records aren't church singers.
Speaker 1: That's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Just not. It reminds me of when Jamie Foxx told a story about going in with Kanye and how he wanted to. Oh, yeah. Yeah. No, calm down. Calm down. Yeah. Same thing. Same exact thing.
Speaker 3: And now you're going on this mega run because, you know, it's what, triple, four-time Platinum? Like, you're in a whole different league.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Are you feeling the king of R & B conversation at this point? Was that something that ever was in your mind? Like, you know what?
Speaker 1: Nah, nah. Kels was still out there, man. Kels is one of those guys that he had the culture and he still has it really in such a lock with his music. You know, it was always Kels, to be honest with you. I mean, everybody would still to this day. Jordan run. He had the Jordan run. Yeah, he did the Jordan run. He can come back and probably three-peat again. But like I said before in an interview earlier, it's like that was a level of competition for me. Like, I'd love to see this. Couldn't wait for this dude to put another record out. Like, I'm like, all right, cool. We going to go back and back, back to back with it. Let's go with it. Yeah. So he would push me, and I felt like I was pushing him as well. Like, we was on the same label going at it. Yeah. That was fun to me. But different angles, different lanes. And I didn't want to be in his lane. Mm-hmm. You know, even though when I first started, they kind of put me there. But then eventually I got to my own place. And, you know, that stuck with people. And now it's the both of us. And we're individual. I have my own individuality. Yeah. But, yeah, it was always Kel pushing me at that label.
Speaker 4: And then you became a member of G-Unit.
Speaker 1: I like how you said that, a member. Hey, bro, listen. Everybody thought that. Come on, man. You got multiple hits with those guys. Like, you was part of the unit, bro. I was a part. That's my dogs, man. That's my family. You know? Man, we had a run. Right. We had some summers going, didn't we? Man, y'all was going crazy. Get to know you. Yeah, yeah. We had some runs, man. What a good crew. What a good group of guys. 50 is such a professional. Yes. You know? And we're all Cancers. When was your birthday? July 9th. Oh, wow. He's the sixth. I know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: We are a different breed. Hey, listen, we are a different breed, man. If we're your friend, we're your best friend. If we're your enemy, you should probably hide.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I'm done. No, you know, I'm, I'm more of a done kind of person. Like God, like, like I always believed is that God removed people out of your lives for a reason.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And, and don't be, don't, don't be upset with that. It's okay. It's okay. You can still be cool and cordial and you can probably still be friends. But when God is dealing with you, man, just let, if he's removing these people, let him remove them. If they're going to come back, come back. That's my boy. That's my brother. He'll always be cool. Okay. If it's that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I'm talking about like for me, man, if, you know, if I feel wrong, I don't want no part of you ever.
Speaker 1: Like it's, you know. I still remember the nigga who promised me a bike when I was five.
Speaker 3: One of my daddy partners. You know how the old niggas be like, yeah, man. Lil Jam will get you a bike, man. Like, nigga, where my bike?
Speaker 1: Right, right. I'm down there 50. I want my bike, man. I did not forget. That's right. Never will. Never will.
Speaker 3: But the people who have done anything for me in my life, I'm always a phone call away.
Speaker 1: That's right. I always show up for them.
Speaker 3: I am the friend that will Oh, you call me at three in the morning because your car broke down?
Speaker 1: You can either use my AAA. Reliable. I'm going to come pick you up. That's good.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying? So, you know, like I said, we are a different breed.
Speaker 1: I'm glad God made me who I am, the way I am, to think differently, to be, you know, independent in everything, how I move. I'm glad I learned through the religion and church, to have the boundaries and the foundation. I would employ kids more to Learn more about God, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Believe in that. That's a real thing. It can help you. It's a great substance of life to have, man.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's very important. Bring that in your life, man. That's going to guide you. It's going to direct you. It's going to give you so much peace.
Speaker 3: In my opinion, I think if you don't have God in your life, you don't have a conscience.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: The people that I know that are questionable about that, I'm like, and I see their actions and how they get out. I'm like, oh, you don't really have a conscience. You don't have something in your mind that's telling you that ain't for you, man.
Speaker 1: Don't let it be too late. Don't wait until it's too late. Right. In terms of don't wait until you need God now. You start calling on God when it's like you're in trouble. Yeah. When the bank is surrounded. Yeah, when you need him. Yeah. Thank God for things that you probably wouldn't thank him for, for the little things. Yeah. Very grateful. Absolutely. That's why I'm so successful and blessed, because I am grateful. Yeah. And rooted. And rooted in what you believe in. Absolutely. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Now, there's no way to have the success you've had without God.
Speaker 1: Oh, no. No. Not at all. Not at all. Man, not this voice, not these fingers, this instrument, the mindset that I have. You know, he controls it all, and I'm grateful for that. I wish I could do more to show him that I love him and I appreciate him. You might have to do that gospel album.
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 1: I'll do something. Yeah. If I do gospel music, man, that's got to be you giving yourself completely over at that point. I don't mind doing a song or two here and there, but if I'm going to do an entire album, I'm going that direction. I'm not looking back. It's like quitting drinking alcohol and quitting drugs. Right. You don't go back. you stay on that path, you know, because that's a different journey now for you. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Because gospel singers aren't just gospel singers. They become bishops and pastors.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, they're preaching. It's a lot of pressure, bro. About their music, yeah. That's why I didn't do it. I didn't want the pressure, man. Can you imagine someone judging you? Like, you know, you got a little wine or something. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Hey, now. Hey, now, pastor. Yeah, but that wine. Hey, bishop. You singing about God up there. That don't look right. So I want to live my life peacefully and, you know, and do what I want and do it in a respectful and, you know, pure way as pure as I can.
Speaker 3: How do you get to, obviously, you know, because we talked about it and your connection to, you know, G-Unit 50, the whole crew, but coming back around years later and doing Big Rich Town.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: What was that like for you? Did you think, when you first saw the show, this is about to be a major thing. Or was it just like, oh, this is the homie. I'm going to knock this out for him. I ain't really tripping.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what happened. Okay. I had no idea. Never seen the show or anything like that. And, you know, of course, being with Rockman 50 for all these years, I was like, yo, go get the singer. I need that. Fifth had his voice on it already. It was already good. It was already good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: I was like, yo, all right, cool. I'll jump on it, add some sauce in. Next thing you know, it was, you know, the theme song. And, man, we off to the races. It's one of my favorite joints that we did out of, you know, I want to get to know you, ride with you, and all the records that we've done.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, with the unit. Have you added it to your show? Man, that shit is so funny. Every city is big. You know, every town is a big rich town.
Speaker 3: You know you caused the frenzy. I know you don't be on the internet. I know there was a frenzy when they switched the.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, yeah. There was a frenzy. Feel bad for my man, Trey, for my brother. It's our brother. Yeah. And they put him in a cold position because people were just like, hey, man. That was something 50. And I blame 50 for that because, you know, when something is good, you don't touch it. Yeah. You know, it's like when you hear the old school shows and sitcoms. Yeah, yeah. You know, Cheers and- You want the original cast. Yeah, them songs don't change, you know what I mean? The Cosby, well, they did switch up the Cosby show.
Speaker 4: They switched up the Cosby show. Yeah, yeah, that one got switched up.
Speaker 1: Switched up a few times. But, yeah, I mean, it's one of those things, man, that's the ID to the show. As soon as you hear it, you're like, oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's on the same level of cheers when everybody knows your name. Everybody knows this is a big, rich town. As soon as that starts, it's like, ah.
Speaker 1: It's the right vibe. Yeah. New York City, New Jersey, that whole area, man. Northeast is just something special. that grind is just something different. You know, the whole church scene out there, everything about it's just different. Basketball, bowling, basketball at Green Acres, you know, in the hood.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Everything is different. It makes you, it builds you, equips you with something different, man, growing up in Jersey.
Speaker 4: Did it take you a long time to adapt coming from the South?
Speaker 1: Not at all. Not at all. I had a good crew of people around me. Yeah, I was a country boy. You know, I had creases in my jeans and things like that. Yeah. I remember having a, a little snap joke with one of my own boys in the house. And I had these Jodeci boys, the men boots on with the glow, the glow bottom, the glow bottle. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The glow up bottom. Okay. Really for stage and perform, but I'm rocking them. But you're rocking them in the streets. I'm rocking them in the streets. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Very genuine. Our brother G would definitely rock them. Yeah, yeah. That looks like his style. I'm like, G, you just walking around with glow shoes on? Hey, you know, hey, dawg. Hey, dawg. You know what I mean? When they see these, hit the lights, dawg.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, trust me. That's how he won the joke. Yeah. Turned the light off on me. And there I was. And there I was. Glowing in the dark. Glowing in the dark. Oh, shit. It was over. He won. He won. But yeah, man, it's, you know, growing up in Jersey, it's just so much fun. I mean, it's the real world. It's fast paced. Yeah. You know, if you got it, you got to go get it. You know, you got to go for it. Go hard. It's cold. You know, it's a hustle. It's a struggle. You got to go for it, man. I just love that I had that opportunity to grow up in that experience in New Jersey.
Speaker 4: Because you would, I mean, When you look at it now, you're still a kid when you get there.
Speaker 1: I was a kid. You're still a kid. Yeah, You know what I mean? When I came to LA, I was still a kid. I was an infant in this industry, man. Infant, newborn. But you had to learn fast. You keep your ears open, eyes wide open, and just catch on as quick as you can. Because it's the business. If you don't understand that, it's going to be a hard struggle for you. Yeah. Your talent is good. That's going to make a way for you. But man, you got to understand this business. You don't want to be working hard for the rest of your life. You want to be, make some smart decisions. Yeah. I made smart decisions when I first started going for the money. I knew that to come, you know, but it was about being at the right home. Yeah. Now you definitely, bro, you, You joined the Bulls. You joined the Bulls. I joined the Bulls. That's right. Flat out, bro. I was a free agent.
Speaker 3: You joined the Bulls, bro, because you got to think about it. I mean, if we're really talking about it.
Speaker 1: Oh, look at the roster. Hold on. Should I name them for you?
Speaker 2: Go ahead.
Speaker 1: Please. Backstreet Boys. NSYNC. Britney Spears. R. Kelly. High Five. Yes. Me. Yes.
Speaker 2: E-40.
Speaker 1: Tribe Called Quest. E-40. Too Short. Too Short. Mystical. Bro. They were an indie label. That's crazy. Independent label. That's crazy. And I learned a lot from that too. And they had everything in-house. The studio, battery studios. They had Jive, label Jive Records. They had Zamba. Zamba, a publishing company. That was my first deal. Oh, so you were. I was signed to Zumba.
Speaker 4: Before you got the job.
Speaker 1: Before I got the job. Ah, it was. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. Oh, I had a real working relationship. So it makes sense, right? Right. Yeah. No, that, that, that label. I mean, then eventually Chris Brown. Yeah. And eventually Chris Brown. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Like.
Speaker 1: Man, they knew what they were doing. Yes. They understand. They understood it. So, yeah, I forgot Chris was a label mate. That's when I first met him. Uh, with, with, uh, Mark Pitts.
Speaker 3: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: You know. And I was in the session. He brought him in and said, we're going to meet this new kid. I was like, oh, damn, he was tall as hell too back then. Yeah, yeah. 16. Yeah. 16. Excited. Excited. And that was the last time I seen him because obviously my world was here and his was there.
Speaker 4: Wait, you said that's the last time you seen him?
Speaker 1: That's the last time I seen him in person, yeah.
Speaker 3: You haven't seen him in person since he was 15, 16 years old?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Huh?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So a lot of people, I don't say, I don't get out there, man. I'm not in the... You know what, man? You are.
Speaker 3: You got some Loch Ness Monster on. You be like, wait, you saw who?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. I told you I'm like the Sade, man. You and Devontae. You and Devontae. Devontae's worse to me. Devontae's worse to me. If you do get an interview, he might say a few words.
Speaker 4: Hank saw Devontae and Devontae said he was going to pull up.
Speaker 1: He might. He might.
Speaker 4: Devontae said he was going to pull up.
Speaker 1: I like Devontae, man. That's my dog, man. Everybody in this industry I mess with.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There's not one person I can say I don't have a personal connection that's good with.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's a lot. I mean, that's bad. Sorry. I don't have not one person I can say I have a bad relationship with. No, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Everybody's super cool. What's your favorite song that you've written?
Speaker 1: I really don't have one yet, man.
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: No, I don't have one.
Speaker 3: Nothing that you wrote for someone else or yourself that you feel like, you know what?
Speaker 4: That's my song. That's a perfect record for me.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. I never really thought about it like that. I just feel like I haven't written a favorite song yet. My favorite song. I don't think that has happened yet. Yeah. Because I feel like I keep outdoing myself. And I don't really judge the old stuff too much. I like to let that be what it is.
Speaker 3: How do you feel about this new age of catalog acquisitions?
Speaker 1: It's good.
Speaker 4: Because I'm sure they've been after you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good. I'm holding on to mine. I'm holding on to it. I'm waiting for a big check. Yeah, yeah. Why not?
Speaker 4: You should get one.
Speaker 1: Why not? There should be one coming if you want it. And that's why I asked. And I got 12 albums. And that's a lot of material. Yes. But this album is the most important to me because, man, I tell you, when. I talk about God a lot because I feel like when he is guiding you and has his hands on you, man, you feel it. You feel it. You feel it a thousand percent. Everything changes. The whole world changes. It kind of slows down. You can really see and understand every move that you're making and what move you need to make before you make it. It's such a beautiful process just to do this album the way I'm doing it because I don't feel no pressure, no rush, nothing. I feel rushed, but I, you know, That's my team rushing me. But other than that, I'm like, hey, you know, this is good. I'm just having fun doing it. And the more I take my time, the better it gets. Have you found a label partner for it? Nah, nah. It's going to be me. I'm going to do it independent. Purely?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to do distribution with someone. I mean, I did it before. I did my last four or five albums. It was independent. And I did distribution through Red.
Speaker 4: Okay. Do you like that space more for you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. It's cool. It's cool. I mean, I'm in control of things. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: And as far as just being able to just outsource what you need to outsource.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean, if you, first of all, if, if you don't need the label for anything, money wise, you okay.
Speaker 2: Good.
Speaker 4: And you have a very solid fan base.
Speaker 1: Fan base.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Are you going to do physical on this next project too?
Speaker 1: I have to. Okay. There's a lot of people that want that.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. I want to do vinyl. Yes, absolutely. Physical vinyl. Yeah. Because it's, you know, it's live. I mean, it's live instruments. You know, I'm going at strings.
Speaker 4: I was at an orchestra from Budapest.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 4: You turned all the way up.
Speaker 1: 80-piece orchestra from Budapest.
Speaker 4: 80-piece orchestra from Budapest.
Speaker 1: Everything, bro. We kill it.
Speaker 4: That's a crazy flex.
Speaker 1: We're going Prince, Michael, Stevie. Yeah. I'm trying to be, though, in that category. The greats. Oh, I love that, bro.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that. I want it to be the source of inspiration that they were for me. Yeah. I can't wait to hear it, bro. Absolutely. Can't wait to play you some stuff. Oh, man. I'm excited. Can't wait for the fans to hear it, man. Y'all going to be so excited. I guarantee you. Is it this year? I'm going to let you down.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's this year, too. You see, I'm trying to get, you know what I mean? Yeah, yeah, yeah. I mean, the year's almost up. That's the only thing I'm kind of like, hmm. I mean, at least a single. I want the rollout to be nice. Yeah, at least a single. Okay.
Speaker 4: So I see you popping outside a little bit, man, over this last.
Speaker 1: Year or so. Yeah, yeah. Everybody's getting on my case, man. Tiny desk. Yeah.
Speaker 3: How long did it take them to get you to do a tiny desk? How long did it take to get you to do a tiny desk, man?
Speaker 1: I was not going to do it. I certainly was not. I wasn't going to do nothing until I had everything finished. on the project. I was going to do everything, but I wasn't going to do it yet. Bro, I was so excited. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was so excited, bro. There are certain artists for me that.
Speaker 3: I, I step outside of me being in the business and me knowing people or me like, and you're one of those people for me, brother.
Speaker 1: Thank you, man.
Speaker 3: Always has been because of how you've carried yourself in the game and the music you've made and.
Speaker 1: You're not oversaturated.
Speaker 3: You're not everywhere doing everything.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: So when you do pop out, it's like, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh.
Speaker 1: Shot A effect. I don't know why I'm going with that. Because that's shot A's get down. Listen. I love it because when you do see her, it's refreshing. Yeah. It's beautiful. Yeah. I've never seen her in person. Me neither. Yeah. I love to meet her. I love to do a record with her. So if Sade is watching this interview, please, please, please. I got a record for you. And yeah, someone reach out to my team. I'm sure I'm easy to find.
Speaker 4: Joe and Sade would be insane.
Speaker 1: It'd be insane. Insane.
Speaker 3: He popped out for the tiny desk. And now you popping out for the versus.
Speaker 1: That's going to be fun.
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man. Me and Donnell Jones. Hmm.
Speaker 3: Who is, once again, one of the guys where I'm like, ah, man, listen, this is where I want to be, album brother.
Speaker 1: One of the greatest R & B albums of all time. Of all time. That album is special. Of all time? Yes, sir. Special.
Speaker 3: And for you guys to come together, especially just the pins, y'all pins, man, the records y'all have written for other people, the records y'all have done for y'allself, Are you breaking out?
Speaker 4: Are you, you know, cause this, this, this episode is going to come out after.
Speaker 3: Are you breaking out records you wrote for other people?
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about it. If he does it, I'm going to do it. Okay. Okay. I want him to set it off and leave it. Cause he, you know, I don't want to talk down or anything, but if he need, felt like he needs to do that, that's the best way to say it. Then yeah. You got something. I'll go there with him. I just want it to be fun, you know, competitive fun. Yeah. You know, we're brothers, we're cool, but I want this thing to feel like, yo, they're going to connect on this one. We're going to get native pictures. I mean, because you featured on that. That's my record. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's dope.
Speaker 3: That's your record and then you did another Case record that I love Missing You Missing You yeah which was Missing You from what I was told it was originally just your song.
Speaker 1: I cut it for you yes yeah but then they went Case label wanted another record so I was like well I just finished this one you know I don't mind if he Take it. So was that at the same time? Those two records now?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: No. Two different times, though. Two different times. Probably months apart. That's the same time. Months apart.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: That's... Call Joe. He got another one for us. Yeah, right. Shit. Yeah, yeah. That was a good time. That was a good time. They was throwing some money my way at that time.
Speaker 4: I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Real nice. At what... Okay. Production money was nice. That's what I was about to ask. Yeah.
Speaker 3: What's the highest production fee you got? At the height that you were just like, yo, give me this. I'll go in with them and give me this. To walk in that studio.
Speaker 1: Probably about 350. I think I got.
Speaker 4: You got 350 for one song?
Speaker 1: Yeah. Because my average was probably around 100.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: 350 is crazy, yo. Yeah. Yeah. I see the way you got your legs crossed, man.
Speaker 3: That's the leg cross of a man who got $ 350, 000 for one song.
Speaker 1: You got to wiggle the foot. Yeah, and wiggle the foot. You got to do that. Yeah, yeah. No, no, I was just joking around. No, God has been good, man. It's been a phenomenal thing. One thing about it is that when you got one hit record, right, and you produce it and your credit's up there and it clearly says that's you. Yes. Everybody wants one. Everybody wants that hit record. Yeah. So you got 15, 20 people calling you for a song. You're in high demand. Right. You can charge what you want. Yeah. Now you were going crazy. I was fortunate enough to charge what I want. Very. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you were giving hit records. It wasn't like you were, you know, just giving B-sides.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like, no, no, no. You get a Joe Thomas record. We'll get a single. It's out of here.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm fortunate, man. I'm so fortunate. But that's because when you put God first... great things happen. Yeah. Always remember that. Put God first.
Speaker 3: There was something else I wanted to ask you about an earlier thing. We're going to go back a little bit for you. Black men united.
Speaker 1: You will know. Man, I'm a menace. I'm a renegade. You already know what I'm about to say, man. I'm cavalier about things. Yeah, I do what I want. I do what I feel. That's a story behind that, too. With the label, though. Yeah, yeah. That was a shot at the label. But go ahead. Your question about that.
Speaker 4: That experience. All those brothers that were on that record.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And standing out on that record.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: When your part came, it was like, oh, shit. He ain't fucking around. I mean, I'm talking about immediately.
Speaker 1: Young boy. Young boy stuff. Excited. Yeah, excited. Real energy. You got Boyz II Men. You got Tony, Tony, Tony. You got R. Kelly. You got Brian McKnight. You got Gerald LaVert. You got. Young D'Angelo. You got Young D'Angelo. You got everybody, brother. You got everybody in there. And I'm like, in my mind, I was always cocky. I'm like, I can now sing everybody in this room. So that was my mindset. And then they just tried to lay it down and just. come with it. Come with it. And you did, brother. They only gave me a part and I was like, I don't care what it is. I want it. That's any situation I get myself in. If you got me there, I'm going hard. If it's sports, anything, I'm going hard. I'm trying to win.
Speaker 4: You know who I feel like is a version of you?
Speaker 1: Mario. Little bro.
Speaker 3: I feel like Mario, when I, you know, I feel like The next generation, it was Mario.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, he's incredible too.
Speaker 4: That vocal beast monster.
Speaker 1: He wanted them all. But clean. Clean.
Speaker 3: That's very hard to attain. It's hard to be a monster and clean. Most monsters, it got a little dirt on it or.
Speaker 1: It got some... Yeah. It's not as pristine. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And to be able to keep that up for decades. Because at this point, he's been in the game 20 years. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 1: Wow. Yeah. Time flies. What? Man, 33 years, 35, 34 years I've been in this industry. What, 1993? I released my first album. I was in before that, like 92, behind the scenes. Yeah. Obviously working. But man, hey, God is that good. Yes. If you continue to do things in a positive way, opportunities will always keep coming your way. Yeah. Yeah. Stay in it. Stay in the fight. Stay in it to win it. And just keep at it, man. Just don't stop. Hip-hop, don't stop. Old school. Y'all shouldn't have a chef life. No, not at all. You shouldn't have a chef life. Keep going. If it's good, everybody should be able to eat it. And we do that to ourselves. We do it to ourselves.
Speaker 4: We do it to ourselves.
Speaker 3: Nobody else does that in any other genres of music and in any other cultures.
Speaker 1: Right. They love their people.
Speaker 2: Mm-hmm.
Speaker 1: They celebrate. They celebrate their people. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I feel like we have a moment where we come back around to celebrate.
Speaker 1: Yeah. But the middle age of it, it gets like, oh, I don't know if they can. Why are you questioning? Like, T.I. just had a hit record. Incredible.
Speaker 3: Tank got a hit record out right now. Joe's new album is going to be a hit album.
Speaker 1: That's right. And with hit records on it. That's right.
Speaker 4: And this is how it's supposed to be. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: And I love the space that we're in in music where most of our biggest artists are grownups.
Speaker 1: Thank God. It's grownups out here. Thank God we are.
Speaker 4: Especially in this R & B space.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's just grown. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Leon's grown.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know what I'm saying? Bruno Mars grown. Yeah. It's amazing because- Victoria Monet. I'm starting to find the ages of some of these people. I'm like, whoa.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Lucky day. 30s. Grownups. Yeah. Yeah. I would love to do this too. Now that I have this floor and this opportunity. Mm-hmm. I want to extend the invitation to, and I want to talk to all the male R & B singers. Okay. They listening. Just to the male R & B singers, we need to come together and do a project. We can't let it just be the one time out with... With Christian Usher. Not just with Christian Usher, going all the way back with Men in Black and all of that. And the humbleness, like you're saying with Christian Usher. If it's a background part, I'm available. I got backgrounds I would love to have on my album as well. I hope you're available. This is how we can kind of keep our thing going and embrace each other's craft and make R & B even bigger than what it is. We have to support each other when it comes to this music. So I'm excited to extend the opportunity for someone to jump on the record, jump on the album. Yeah. Just to have their voice, their presence. You know, to build this R & B experience even bigger. Yeah. And this genre even bigger than what it is. Because I think the way hip-hop has done it, that's the blueprint. Absolutely. That is the blueprint. They jump on each other's records and support them. Yeah. So I think that, you know, if we continue, if we started to do that and continue to do that, it's going to make our R & B even bigger.
Speaker 3: No, that statement means a lot. That statement means a lot because what I found, right, because I'm moving in a lot of the R & B rooms, bro, and.
Speaker 4: Just music, period. Like, last night I went to go see Will Ferrell's son.
Speaker 1: Have you seen him yet? No. Magnus Ferrell? The comedian Will Ferrell? His son. That's only Will Ferrell I know.
Speaker 4: His son is a vibe.
Speaker 1: Rapping? No. Singing. Oh, shit.
Speaker 4: And got the R & B soul running through his blood.
Speaker 1: Wow. He loves it.
Speaker 3: Young white boy having a good-ass time singing his ass off with a cold falsetto.
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: 22 years old.
Speaker 1: He's a baby.
Speaker 4: Me and Sean Stockman went to go see him. You know what I'm saying?
Speaker 3: And what I found in these rooms is that a lot of times they don't know that you want to work with them. Because it's like They're just like, well, I never see him and I never, I can't talk.
Speaker 1: Cause I'm in the studio. Right.
Speaker 3: But, but by you making that statement on this type of platform, I'm going to also follow that up with, I'm available to help.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Thank you.
Speaker 3: Cause these are my, these are, these are my folks that I deal with all the time as well. From the Kehlani's to the Victoria's to the Jadon's, the young boys, the Papa J to Jacob Lattimore, Trevor Jackson. Like, I'm talking to Chris Brown. I want to be able to have that conversation and say, hey, man, I spoke to Joe.
Speaker 1: And you see the little things. Yeah. A background part, maybe just one note. Yeah. Your voice is so unique, it's going to stand out.
Speaker 4: I mean, you on Andrew in disguise.
Speaker 1: I mean, you know? I mean, we're going to talk about, you know? That's the point. I'm loving it. Yeah. You're good. You're good. I mean, I'm just trying to do my job, man. You're awesome. You're awesome, bro. Come on, man. You know, you know. That's what it is. And I love you, man. Yeah, you know what I mean? We know who that was. Yeah, indeed, indeed. That's Joe. So that's the point. Yes. And more of that, I think, is going to be incredible.
Speaker 3: The olive branch, man. The olive branch that, that, that. that's why we started just our company, period. Why we started R & B Money.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then obviously creating this show because we wanted to continue to be an olive branch and continue to tap in. And, you know, even when we had Sammy on the show, Sammy, he said he's like, man, like, well, nobody's trying to put me on tour at that time. Tank took me on tour with him. And then I got on the Millennium Tours to go do my thing.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But, you know, when we tapped in with him, it was a different time for him. He's trying to figure his shit out. But it's like, nigga, that's Sammy.
Speaker 1: Come on. Let's rock. Yeah. You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And that for us, bro, is really important.
Speaker 1: That camaraderie is important.
Speaker 3: We're trying to have it as much as possible because Tank and I are kindred spirits like you of, I don't have no issues in this business.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: I have no issues in this business at all.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: So I have no problem calling the homies.
Speaker 1: Right. And say, hey, man. Yeah. And they need to know that. They need to know it's like, yo, I'm available. Yeah. You know, this is an accessible artist. Yeah. And I'd love to work, you know, someone with the same mindset. You know, if you got something that's incredible and you feel like just that little touch of tone would make the difference. Right. Here I am. Yeah. And it's time, man. It's time.
Speaker 3: It's like when, you know, When Kels was working with Ron Isley, Charlie Wilson.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Maxwell. Maxwell. Shout out to Maxwell. Oh, shout out to Maxwell. Our brother. Much love to you. Sheesh. You know what I mean? Yeah.
Speaker 3: When Babyface did the project with all the young ladies, Ladies Night Out, you know what I'm saying? Like, we got to have those things happening, man. So, listen, I'm in full support. Whatever you want, I'm on. You got my word on that, brother. Like, if I got to make a phone call, you're like, hey, yo, you know the young, you know what?
Speaker 1: I'll find his manager. Yeah. I'll call the label head. Yeah. We'll figure it out. Yeah. We need that. It's going to be a thing on the road, man, because it's a beautiful genre. Yes. Special. Yes. And we can make it bigger than what it has ever been. Yeah. Come together.
Speaker 3: So while we're talking about the genre, man, I got a special segment for this show, man.
Speaker 1: You know what?
Speaker 3: But we go into what your inspirations are. The things that pushed you to the place of the mountaintop of Joe Thomas, man. You know what I mean? And this whole R & B thing. So yeah, man, I want to get into your favorites. I want to get into your top five R & B singers and your top five R & B songs.
Speaker 1: Okay. It's going to be a struggle. It's never easy. It's never easy. It's never easy. So many of them. Okay, let's go for it.
Speaker 4: So top five R & B singers.
Speaker 1: Stevie Wonder. Come on. Definitely. Marvin Gaye. These names are here all the time. Man, I'm sorry. It's too many great singers. Jasmine Sullivan off the freaking hook. Yes. And you can go, you know, you can go Thomas, man. Kehlani is incredible. Kehlani. She's beautiful, too, by the way. Who else is it? So you said Stevie? Oh, yeah, yeah, yeah. Jasmine. Singles, yeah, yeah. Jasmine. Kehlani. Kehlani. I'll put Tank on that list. That's a bad boy. Come on, man. Come on. Come on. Put our brother in there. Tank is cold. Man, it's just, man. That's four.
Speaker 4: But you can name as many as you want.
Speaker 1: Whitney Houston, obviously. I got to say Luther because I can't leave him out. And I'm going to stop there because I'm going to keep going with Charlie Wilson. Yeah, it's going to keep growing. Yeah, yeah. I'd be like James Brown singing.
Speaker 3: Listen, most people don't mention James Brown because he was so much of everything.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: That they don't pay attention.
Speaker 1: Yeah. To what that vocal was. What he was doing. Powerhouse. It wasn't easy. It's a powerhouse. It was not easy. Timing. Tone. Yeah. Range. Oh, he cold. Okay. So we. Shout out to the Brown family. It was about a top eight, nine. Okay.
Speaker 4: Now top five R & B songs.
Speaker 1: Two Occasions. Mm-hmm. Special. Always and forever. Let's see. Insatiable Prince. Yeah. Turn the lights off. That's three. That's four. I'm sorry, man. I can't think of them all. Come on, you got to give me. I think I'm tired. One more. One more. One more. One more. Come on. One more.
Speaker 2: One more.
Speaker 1: I want you. Marvin Gaye. Yes. Yep. Because you're talking about of all time in my mind. I want you is up there. Teddy P got some joints. I don't know if I'm going to put them at the greatest of all time songs. Because I'm thinking of lyrical content and not just vibe and emotions. You got an MJ record from him? Oh, the MJ record would be. I'm reaching out. Yeah. Yeah. Yeah. All right.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess that would be it. We'll roll with those. We'll roll with those.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All right. Now I need... It's always tough to do those, though. Oh, very.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Very tough to do those. Now I need you to build a Voltron for me.
Speaker 1: Build what?
Speaker 4: A Voltron. A superhero....
Speaker 3: Super powered R & B vocalists, artists, somebody that would be the greatest R & B, the package of this would be the greatest R & B singer you could think of.
Speaker 1: Oh, so I got to build it, like build a bear. Yes.
Speaker 3: Will you give us the voice, the performance style, stage, the styling, the clothes, who's the flyest, the passion of this artist, And since you.
Speaker 1: Are a writer and producer, who's going to produce and write for you? I was going to say it can't be me. Why not? Why not? Because. You write them hits. Oh, well, then it's me. Okay. Who's the voice? Who's the voice? Whose voice you going with? Shit, man. Marvin Gaye's voice is the coolest, sexiest voice ever. Okay.
Speaker 4: So we got Marvin for the voice.
Speaker 1: For technique. If I had his technique, he ain't old school. He's new. But that damn Avery Wilson need to be smacked. Man, Avery Wilson is an alien. He is a technician. Yes.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: A voice. That dude can sing his behind. Yeah. Effortless. There's nothing he can't do.
Speaker 2: Agreed.
Speaker 1: Big shout out to Avery Wilson, man. Absolutely. Big shout out to that. I can't wait to hear your first single, first album.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You deserve it, bro.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Incredible. Yeah. I would need all of this chops. Style-wise, I love my style. You know, I'm definitely on my style. Yeah. I'm more like the Barry White, you know, with the silken. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Yeah, yeah, yeah. You might pull out a cummerbund on him. Yeah, yeah. You know what I mean? You might have a vest on. I've done it before. It's tailored. I'm definitely a waistcoat kind of guy. I don't even call it vest. I call it waistcoat. Waistcoat. Yeah. Who's performing style? Performing style.
Speaker 4: Who's going to kill the stage?
Speaker 1: Michael kills it every time, but James Brown is also one of those top performers. Yeah. I'm mixed between the two. First of all, Mike is another level. I'm not even going to put him in the category. I'm more of a Teddy P. Yeah. Smooth, cool. Shirt open. Yeah, you know what I'm saying? Nice necklace. Yeah, you know, that kind of vibe. Yeah, yeah. You know.
Speaker 4: I see what you're putting down.
Speaker 1: Smooth with it. Smooth with it. But I'm shaving the chest hairs, though. I don't want the taco meat look. I don't think that was good. That was a thing, man. That was a thing. That was a thing, man. There was a time for that. That's the 70s right there. Okay, and who got the passion? With the stash.
Speaker 3: Who's the passionate artist that you're like, okay, this the one?
Speaker 1: Ooh, passion.
Speaker 4: That's going to make you feel it.
Speaker 1: Let me think about this one. Because Al Green has a passion, man. That boy was, when he hit some falsettos and go from natural to false. I love a good Al Green performance. Or Rance Allen. You ever heard of him? Absolutely. Absolutely. I'm a church boy, so I mean, I would go with the whining. Yeah, yeah. Yeah, that's a different type of passion. Yeah, man. You're singing for the Lord. That's a different type of passion. Yeah, yeah. But that's me on stage, too. I feel like I'm still singing for the Lord, even though I'm singing about a few other things. But it's that passion. Mm-hmm. You know, that anointment. Yes. The oil. The conviction. Yeah, that thing when you just feel it. I go there on stage. Absolutely. So to me, it's similar. Okay. You know, church, gospel. And who's producing and writing for this artist? Who's the producer? Babyface is one of them. Gambling Huff. Yes. I'm able to throw in uh doja holland doja yeah which one comes.
Speaker 3: First yeah they got a bag of song yes my brother bo doja rest in peace man so my doja son that's what's up used to be one of the producers on this show before he passed that's what's up man yeah it's my brother we came up together.
Speaker 1: Wonderful wonderful legacy legacy stuff And I try to put as many people on Doja Holland Doja as I can because they do not know the impact those two writers and producers have. It's three of those. Yeah, Holland Doja Holland. Yeah. Holland Doja Holland. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Someone was just trying to get extra credit or something. Put my name twice. Shout out to Holland Doja Holland, man. Incredible music. Yes, sir. Yes, sir. I mean, all the greats from back then. That's why I tell people to study history. Yeah. Like go search the first R & B song that may be considered the first R & B song. Is you is or is you ain't my baby. Yeah. Yeah. You know, go back and study the R & B history, man. You know, that's one of them ones. Do your homework. Do your homework. Yes. Do your research. And you'll find a lot of information that you may not have been privy to. Now that you're watching R & B Money, you get a chance to kind of touch on it a bit. Yes, sir. Yes, sir. Appreciate you guys, man.
Speaker 4: So I got one more thing before I let you go.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir.
Speaker 4: We got this very special part of the show.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's called I Ain't Say No Names. I Ain't Say No Names. Where you telling me a story. You tell us.
Speaker 3: You tell, you know, the people of the R & B money world a story, funny or fucked up.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay. I got one. Funny and fucked up. Yeah.
Speaker 4: The only rule to the game is Joe Thomas can't say no names.
Speaker 1: I don't want to call this nigga out, too. Oh, shit.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Anyway, he going to know who it is. Yeah, I was in a session doing a song for this artist, and we just had mad time to kill. We just sitting around. Yeah, yeah. We in New York City. We gambling. We playing C-low. Okay. Yeah, yeah. Real East Coast shit. Yeah, yeah. Real East Coast. You play craps and South Georgia shit. Yeah, yeah, yeah. Y'all the Three Dice guys, man. Yeah, yeah. The East Coast. Yeah, yeah. And I'm killing him and his manager. throwing it off the wall. Pow. Give me that. Four, five, six. Four, five, six. Give me that. Right. Took all this money. Every penny. I had, I mean, I was loaded. I had so much cash. I mean, I was just, when I was young, I was just playing around, you know, just throwing money, burning money fast. I was BMF before BMF. And so he wanted to gamble. We got time, you know. I lit him up. Did he have a bankroll to gamble with you? He had a little bag.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: He had a little bag. I took everything from him. He going to tell you the story too, probably. He going to probably come up here and tell you the story. Oh, shit. Okay. I ain't saying no name. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Every dollar. Oh, every penny. Yeah. Banks was closed. He would have got more. Yeah. I've had that experience with a young R & B fella. Yeah. I was like, listen, I need it. I need it. All of it. That's my dog, too.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Shout out to my dog. You know who you are. Hey, listen, it go down in these studios. I love it, man. It go down in these studios. Hey, you got Mad Time to Kill. You got time. I mean, he's mixing or he's doing something, the engineer. And, you know, you got to make time, make time pass. And I grew up in the studio, you can say. You know, most of my time was in these deep rooms like this, man. Yeah. I love it. Yeah. Well, listen, man, I appreciate your time. Thank you for having me, brother. I honor your time, brother. Appreciate you having me. You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: This is a very special moment for us here, man, and for our community and our people, man, to see us come together and for you to pop up and have this type of conversation with me, man.
Speaker 1: Y'all knew I was going to come holler at you, man. Man, listen, man. Of course. I've been, when I say looking for you, brother, I've been looking for you.
Speaker 3: So I'm glad that you're finally here, man, and I've been able to show my appreciation, man, and give you your flowers for the amazing career that you're having.
Speaker 1: Not had. Having. Thank God for that. Appreciate it. Having, brother.
Speaker 4: Still sold out shows around the world.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir. It's getting bigger. Come on, man. It's getting bigger. Come on.
Speaker 3: And that new album, whatever you're going to call it.
Speaker 1: We're looking for it. This is how God works. Yes. This is how God works. If you ain't see it, look at it in real time. That's how it works, man. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, man, like I said, man, I just want to thank you for pulling up on me, man. You know, I'm Jay Valentine. It's the R & B Money Podcast. And this has been Joe Thomas.
Speaker 1: The legend. The icon.
Speaker 4: The voice of all voices.
Speaker 1: My brother. Pulled up on us today.
Speaker 4: I'll see y'all next week.