Speaker 1: Welcome to Inside Active, a podcast about active managers that goes beyond sound bites and headlines and looks deeper into the processes, challenges, and philosophies and security selection. I'm David cone, I, lead mutual fund and active Research at Bloomberg Intelligence. Over the past decade, growth investing has gone through several very key different market environments. We've seen periods where a handful of megacap companies have dominated returns, dramatic shifts and interest rates, the rise of passive investing, and more recently, the emergence of artificial intelligence as a major investment theme. In an environment like this, generating returns as an active growth manager requires more than simply identifying growth companies. Requires a repeatable process for evaluating business quality, assessing valuation, managing risk, and maintaining conviction through changing market conditions. So today I wanted to explore how a discipline growth investor translates research into portfolio decisions. From sourcing ideas and building conviction to managing risk, testing assumptions I'm determining when to buy, hold or sell. Join me to discuss that is. Doug Rogers, Managing director of Morgan Stanley and a portfolio manager of the EAT Advanced Core Growth Team, including the EAT Advanced Growth Fund ticker el ci X and the Advanced Focus Growth Opportunities Fund ticker eif g X. Doug, thanks for joining me today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, David. It's excited to be here.
Speaker 1: So to start, how about at a high level, how would you describe your investment philosophy today? And you know what beliefs about the markets of businesses are most central to the way you invest.
Speaker 2: Sure At eaton Vance, we define growth maybe a little bit differently than a lot of other firms or other mutual funds may do. So one way that we look at growth is just the consistency of growth. So we're less concerned about the appst growth rate. There's plenty of companies out there that might do, you know, twenty thirty percent growth one year, negative five the next year, and you know over time average compound growth rate of five or ten percent. We're really looking for those growth companies that can deliver growth consistently year in year out, a little less concerned about the the overall growth rate. Although we do tend to focus on companies that can deliver you know, revenue growth in excess of five to ten percent. In fact, if you look at you if you look back historically at companies that have been able to do so, they tend to outperform the market. We looked at Russell one thousand index constituents that survived a decade in the index, and we looked at companies that I divide into three groups, the first being companies that failed to deliver a five percent cager over that decade, the second being companies that delivered a five percent cager, and then the third companies that delivered a five percent growth rate each and every year of those ten years, So ten consistent years of five percent growth. It turns out that forty five to fifty percent fall in each of the first two categories, only about five percent fall in that third category of five percent each and every year. And those those stocks on an annualized return basis have tended to outperform the others my seven, eight nine percent, depending on the year, fairly consistently. So that's really what we target is those sustainable compound growers, and I think it makes our job a little bit easier just you know, targeting that's there's less volatility in some of their returns. But also makes it a little bit more difficult. And it's really key to find those companies early on those in those growth rates, and there's key attributes that we look at to determine that.
Speaker 1: Look, can you walk us through what your investment process looks like, you know, the life cycle of an investment idea on your team, how ideas get sourced research and ultimately added to the portfolio.
Speaker 2: Sure, there's there's some great academic research on some of the things that I just just described. Others i'd encourage your listeners to look up Professor Rita McGrath. She's a former Columbia Business School professor. There's Professor Amy Eminson who I had the honor of studying under at Harvard Business School as well. They've done a lot of research in terms of, you know, what makes these companies good and and grow and find inflection points and organize themselves for growth. So two recommendations there, and we have done our own research too in terms of, you know, looking at the attributes of those those companies. So we're looking for companies the keyword that I draw out is innovation, and so that's really what our investment process centers around. We're looking for companies that continue to evolve over time, they catch those inflection points, they continue to develop their business model, change their business model and grow into into that next level of the of the curve, just additive curve after additive curve UH to to find their growth. We certainly do what I would consider table stakes investing, where we are table stakes research, where we look at the financial UH financials of the companies. We develop our own internal models, financial forecast. You know, I think that's the basics of investing needs to be done and you need to get that directionally accurate for sure. We also spend a lot of time just discussing the strategy of of the company and and the overall end market and the growth of that mark and how that company can can participate. But I think the real UH success of our of our team comes down to the debate that we have around different securities. So we've been able to construct our team where we have some very different personalities in our in our analysts team, which really work well together to generate a strong debate OFT from a lot of different backgrounds in the industry and outside of the industry as well. And really when it comes down to it, we we do all that background research, We interview company teams, we get a sense for the strength of the management team, the strength of the strategy, and then we UH we debate those ideas vigorously UH to include or exclude them from our portfolio. We have a system we use we call them portfolio exercises, that we use to combat inherent biases in the in the investment process. So sometimes you just get a little too comfortable owning as owning a stock, or you get complacent in owning a stock. So we'll generate ideas through these portfolio exercises. One might be a designated bull or bear, so we'll designate sometimes the individual it's most bullish on a company will will make him or her the bear and the opposite and h and then we'll just engage in debate over over the investment thesis and and explore and robe where we could be stronger or weaker on on either side. And so it's really that debate that leads to to inclusion or or removal of a stock from from our portfolio. And that's with every company, With every company that that we put in or out of the portfolio, we really we really debate, We try not to you know, just make make bets on on physicians for so called exposure to to an area or or or not. Really, you know, you only have limiteds base. Our our focus fund typically has twenty five to thirty names or diversified fund, we like to have around sixty names in that. So each and every uh, you know, basis point of capital that we deploy is precious in our eyes, and so we really like to make sure that each basis point is is really tested and and and put to its best use. So that kind of brings me in.
Speaker 1: My next question is, you know your background is unusually analytical, some engineering, the Navy, CFA, c MT. How has that kind of shaped your process in even your risk framework.
Speaker 2: Yes, so much of what I used today is rooted in those early years of my career. As you mentioned, I was an engineering major. Actually it's what we called robotics back in the day, So perhaps they should have stuck with that as a I was. I was early in that career. And then perhaps most impactful was my time in the Navy. I was graduated from the Naval Academy, went directly into the nuclear pipeline and then ended up on a on a submarine where I spent just over four years on that submarine, and so many things that I use today and investing, although it seems like it's unrelated, a lot of the behaviors, a lot of the UH, the analytical approach that I use or rooted in that in the in the in the Navy, there was I guess there's two big lessons that I that I would take away. One was I had a great cat and Catain Nustyed still a mentor to this day who really taught us don't take unnecessary risk, right, you need to take risks in this business, in in the Navy to h to be successful, to generate alpha, to generate a good outcome in your in your naval mission. But you just want to understand those risks. You want to understand what risks that you are that you're taking. And the other is you're never going to have complete information, especially on the submarine we were UH, we were limited to our sonar. It would been great sometimes to use active sonar to find out exactly what was ahead or exactly the range to to something that we're trying to find, but in order to do that we would have to sacrifice our position which of course we didn't want to let up, so so you always had incomplete information. And so the skill is knowing when you have enough to take action and and that's uh, there's no magic number. I can't say over eighty percent of the way there, let's uh, let's move. But but it's just a skill that you develop over time to understand. And Okay, I think we have enough here to have confidence to make this a position. Sometimes more information becomes available and its strengthens your conviction. Sometimes the opposite happens. You find out more and and it pokes a hole in your thesis and you may want to reevaluate your your your choices there. So you know, I think that background has really shaped a lot of the processes that we use today on our team. Uh and and really help over the long term as an investor.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, if we go back to your process a little bit, how much would you say is fundamentally qualitative versus you know, quantitatively driven.
Speaker 2: Sure, we're definitely a fundamentally driven team. That's where where we're rooted. You know, I'd say the quantitative aspect comes in a little bit on risk management, and we can certainly discuss that you know, if you'd like. But we're really rooted in in in bottom up fundamental research. I think that's what we all enjoy doing. I think you know, when you talk to many so called stock pickers, I think that that's what they enjoy doing too. Learning about an industry, learning about a stock, learning about the company's position within that industry, the drivers, you know, things like that. So we really rely on on fundamentally. We do use risk management as it comes down to our position sizing. I as the portfolio manager, you ultimately make the call on the on the position size, with a lot of input from our analysts as well. You can you get a good sense from the analysts in terms of their conviction on ideas and as the team you know, debates it, you know the risk and reward that we're taking. We use something called weighted price potential where we look at the bowl, the bear and the base case on stocks. So that helps us to to measure our upside, our downside, our risk reward potential and h and and help judge just you know, how convicted we are in that in that idea. And then where the quantitative does come in. It's a bit more on the risk management side. We have an entire risk management team that we that we work with to help us judge where we're taking those risks. I mentioned earlier that you know, we need to take risks in the portfolio. We just want to make sure that we understand what risk we're taking. You know, are we are too tied to a factor, too untied to a factor? I know in prior podcast you've interviewed a colleague, guy Andrew Slimmon as well, who does a lot with with with factor work. We don't get as involved as Andrew does, but we uh uh we we we you know, definitely pay attention to those to make sure that we're not taking unnecessary risk by not having exposure to certain factors that we you know, believe may may have an input. And we really use that to help us determine position sizing more than more than anything.
Speaker 1: Else, you know, when you're making a new investment, what are the key assumptions you absolutely have to be right about.
Speaker 2: It's always always a great question, and it's really like we really try to stick to our knitting on this on this framework and trying to find you know, good companies that continue to grow and so we test those those assumptions sometimes a lot of people and you know, i'd say this is something I did certainly in my younger years. In the career, you really get involved in your model, in your financial model, and you have to do that because your model helps you to test different assumptions. You can go through, well, what if they add one hundred basis points to to to margins or one hundred one percent of margins. What if what if the tax rate goes up, or this revenue growth of this lower margin segment increases or decreases, mix shift. It really helps you to understand that. But at the same time, you know you have to be directionally right on a lot of different factors. Sometimes you're just in a good market. You know, look at look at the megacap stocks and the AI influence on a lot of different names in that space. There there is a such thing, I guess maybe my navy analogy, the rising tide. You know, analogy certainly can lift all boats there. And so you know, if you've done the work not just on the company, but on the industry and sector, then hopefully it can help you to identify certain key points. I'd say, one common thing that we really look for is potential inflection points. You know, the the impact of AI would certainly be one of one of those. I think it's something we were fortunate enough to identify early, the impact that could have not only on spending that it was going to take, but who would be the beneficiaries of that spending and also on the cost side, you know, where where companies could take out costs, you know from AI. So we're looking at it from a revenue driver, from a cost saver, and just from capital expenses and one firm's cap x is another firm's revenues, so you know, trying to identify the linkages there. So we're really looking for those I mentioned inflection points earlier. So are there are there any sort of wholesale shifts where where an entire industry or sector could really shift based on on a bigger picture or market driving theme. So we're keen to identify those.
Speaker 1: Are there any assumptions you can afford to be wrong about? We try to minimize those for I'm sorry question just kiddus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you know, I think some of those as long as you get them, you know directionally right there there are some things that that you can be off by by a little bit, just because those errors are overwhelmed by the by the the broader strength. Right, So you might have somebody that's you know, very strong and nine out of ten events and the catalon and and and you hope that that the strength there overshadows maybe they're inability to uh uh, you know, to do the high jump, you know, in the into the caf on. So you know, we're we're we're hopeful that that focusing on the on the bigger drivers allows you to to maybe have a little bit of flexibility. I think some of the things that you can test with the and the our approach on those factors is just to do some sensitivity analysis around things that we're less certain about. So if you look at you know, if you if you look at something where you have the least amount of certainty, the least amount of conviction, maybe it's that data point that you just can't find, uh, you know, the answer to or you know you have you have three unknowns and and two two equations you know to to figure it out, so you just can't get the right answer. Uh, then what we'll do is we'll just do some sensitivity testing around that. So what if what if this bullish scenario comes to fruition, what if this barrier bearish scenario comes to fruition, and really test how impactful that can be. If it's something that that even in the most bearish case, it really doesn't add considered to the risk that you're taking in the stock, then we can approach that with higher conviction. If it's something where it's a bigger driver than perhaps we anticipated, then you know, I think that'll result in lower conviction. Uh you know, maybe that influences the position size, or maybe we just start looking for a different opportunity altogether.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned testing, I mean, what does that actually look like? You know, what exactly are you doing when you're testing something portfolio testing.
Speaker 2: Core just I mean on the on the stock level, we're taking that down to you're just looking at it at a certain thing. Maybe it's a revenue growth rate, maybe it's a new product, and how successful it can it can be, how much it can contribute to revenues. It might be a mix shift, so if a certain high margin product is growing faster than the lower margin product, you know what, we'll test that to see how high it can go, how successful does it have to be maybe it's a newly acquired product through M and A. You know, we'll look and we'll do sensitivity in terms of the cost savings that they might get through synergies or or you know, through just revenue enhancement from that new product, maybe running it through a more developed salesforce as well. So we'll look at a lot of different sensitivities. There's a lot of just financial modeling, scenario analysis to determine you know, the potential upside and downside on the portfolio level. You know, we'll we'll we'll look evill test. I mentioned risk management earlier, so we'll look just to see where we have different uh intended or unintended exposures. Maybe it's something it relates to the interest rates or the price of oil, or you know, something you know related to AI spend or things like that. We can we can do testing. We use a program called Bara to do to do a lot of testing, and we have our own our risk management software as well that we look and measure to see if one company owning it or not owning it, is contributing an outside an outsized level of risk to the portfolio. And so you know, if If that's the case, then we'll try to minimize that risk and we can test to see, Okay, well, what if we take that position size of fifty bits, what does that do to a certain risk factor or what does it do to you know, our exposure to interest rates things like that. So you're we're able to run different scenarios without actually trading the portfolio, generating gains, trading costs, etc. We're able to simulate that, of course, to see what the best move in the portfolio might be.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, if you look back at your best long term investments, you know, I know you're obviously looking for consistent growth, but is there any patterns or characteristics that kind of show up again and again when you think of your best long term investments.
Speaker 2: Yes, so you know, we are long term investors. Our portfolio turnover is generally maybe a little bit on the lower side for a typical growth portfolio. We tend to be in the twenty to thirty percent growth range, so or turnover, so we're really looking you know, for that that that longer three to five year holding would would be great. I think it was Warren Buffett that said something along the lines of you know, the best stock is the one that you never have to sell something like that. So you know, we're looking for those long term things. And so one of the things that helps us identify is is something that I've alluded to before. It's just something where we're looking for inflection points and and there's minor inflection points and there's there's major inflection points, and so you know, maybe it's something I think back, boy, it must be ten plus years ago where you went with with social advertising, you know, on on that. And one of the big things when we initially bought bought Meta was they experienced a big transition from from not really being able to measure your advertise. Remember it was all in just likes. How many likes did you get for that ad budget? So it was a dollars per like, which is a great measure for for you know, some some consumer products, just to kind of get a sense for that. But you really couldn't get a return on that advertising spend, as the old one to maker quote where I know I waste half of my ad budget, I just don't know which half. So advertisers really didn't didn't understand what they were getting as a return for that platform. And then there was this big shift that happened about a decade ago where Meta was able to really more accurately measure that that advertising spend. And so you had this big inflection where you had a lot of big advertisers, big consumer products companies, etc. That were hesitant to put too much money on the platform, When all of a sudden they could measure their return on their advertising spend and as a result, we're getting incredible returns and you were able to allocate more of their budget to the then Facebook platform. So I think we're really happy to look for those those big inflection points and and and if you can identify those and identify not just where they might you know, help one or two specific companies, but entire industries, then I think that it really opens up the the available investment opportunities for you. And you know, these are companies that you can be a little less worried about quarterly fluctuations in their growth rate, get good confidence in management ability to identify opportunities and continue to exploit those opportunities, and and grow over a long period of time.
Speaker 1: Okay, and you know, I also want to talk about valuations. It's a little bit you know, especially in today's market, you know, how do you approach valuations for you know, for your your strategies.
Speaker 2: Yes, we are GARB investors, you know, growth that are reasonable prople price. I think one thing about that though, is the key word in that is the are the the reasonable and so what is reasonable they're reasonable? I mean the different different things. It's a relative measure. So there are certainly companies that that we have a really strong conviction in big extended growth opportunities over a long period of time, and so we will be willing to pay up for that. It's you know, it's significantly greater than a than a market multiple. There's also companies where there's that stability of earnings and if you have that visibility, if you have that confidence that is a good stable grower, you you might pay more than a more than a market multiple certainly for that growth, even if it's at let's robust you know, growth rate. So I think you really have to be careful in terms of how you identify expensive stocks and inexpensive stocks. The other thing is is, you know, we oftentimes will have significantly different estimates than the consensus estimates that are that are out there and so you know, you have to be careful not just to believe the street consensus number. If you have high conviction that a company can do an earnings or a revenue or cash flow number significantly higher than the street, then maybe the price the earnings or a cash flow or sales metric that you're seeing published on Bloomberg maybe completely different. You might have a valuation that's significantly lower than the consensus of valuation on the street. And so we really look for opportunities where we can identify, you know, those companies they're they're trading at valuation that there might be below where the consensus thinks it is. So always be mindful of valuation, but be careful that you don't let valuation dictate your your entire approach. Valuation is kind of an outcome. You know, we'll do the work on a stock, if you know, figure out what we think it's worth, and then we'll look at the valuation and compare it to where it's trading.
Speaker 1: Okay, I do want to go back to, you know, at the beginning we talked about you know, you you and your team kind of do an internal debate of you know, whether it's a biased off, but you also mention and you do that when you want to sell a stock. What is usually one of the biggest drivers or you know, the different drivers that would kind of lead you to sell. Is it mainly just a deterioration and the thesis or or something else?
Speaker 2: Yes, you know, I think there's a there's a couple of things. I think the biggest one, however, is always understand why you own a stock and and avoid that thesis creep, I'll call it. So it's always important to really, you know, write down the one, two, three reasons why you own the stock. We always you know, we'll do a presentation on a stock anytime we're going to invest, which leads into that that debate, you know, so we really understand the company, understand the key drivers, and part of that presentation is the investment thesis and and why we own the stock. So always do that. Always write it down, you know, don't don't just have it out there, you know where where you may or may not remember exactly why you did it. And then always test those assumptions that that you made. And so you know, oftentimes it will will own the stock for reasons A, B, and C. And then you know they'll report earnings and maybe it's thesis A has strengthened based on on some new data points that we gathered during the earnings report. Be no new information, but C is a little shaky, and so now we need we we know, like, hey, we need to really monitor that one assumption that we made. We're losing conviction in that assumption. So you can do one of two things. You can either just change your change your assumptions, change your you know, why you own the stock, and that's very dangerous. We try not to do that. And then the other thing is to really really focus in on those changes and and see if if your assumptions are wrong, maybe just a little misguided and just assumptions need to be tweaked just a little bit, you know, or if it's if it's just time to change your opinion on the stock. We have an adage where you know, if if the conditions changed, and maybe our opinion should should as well, And so it's really important to drive that. The other thing is we you know, we'll certainly we just talked about valuation a lot. There are stocks that just their valuation just can't be justified over time, and and there's there's a lot not to say that the company has changed at all, but you have to realize there's a difference between the company and the stock that represents that company, and so sometimes the valuation on that can just get you know, out of hand versus versus where you think they can they can grow. Whatever metric you choose to value it on, or the combination of metrics we choose to to value it on. You can always, you know, sell that stock and and keep an eye on it. We've done it many times where where you know, we'll look at the stock it just gets a little too pricey for what we think it's worth, and then you can always it'll it'll still be there. You can you can buy it back if it if it pulls, if it pulls back, you do have to watch not to not to get too crazy, you know with some of that. I think you look at look at Amazon over the past twenty years. There's there's always been some significant drawdowns of a stock like Amazon within any within any given year. If you if you think you could have picked those tops and bottoms accurately and bottom and sold them at the exact right time, then I think you're you're fooling yourself a little bit. It's very difficult to do that. And so you know, stocks where we think they continue to press through that you know will be more likely to hold on to. But you know, we'll keep an eye on that valuation. But really, when the thesis changes, likely so should our opinion on the stock and our ownership of the stock.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, if we focus in on just you know, two of the funds, the Growth Fund and the Focus Growth Opportunities is the you know, the philosophy pretty much similar. You know, are there any differences aside from obviously one is more diversified versus one is more concentrated.
Speaker 2: Yes, both both funds are run on the same on the same philosophy. In most cases, the Focus Growth Fund will be a subset of the of the the more diversified UH Growth Fund. So we have the growth and then the Focused Growth Fund. So in most cases the Focus will be a subset of that. There is some leeway that just for different exposures, we may choose to have you know, one or two names that that differ from from fun to fun if you if you overlap the ven diagrams on on the two. But it's really a subset of that. It just the focus fund just offers you a little bit more concentration. I don't want to say a higher conviction ideas because that's not the that's not the case. I think every fund, every stock that works our way into a portfolio or high conviction uh names. But it just maybe gives you a little bit more active share in in the focus fund, you'll have a bit more volatility, uh, versus the diversified fund, which we'll have a slightly lower active share, and just like the lower tracking r as well.
Speaker 1: So you know, if we move a little bit towards the market, well not necessarily the market, but just the industry. You know, for a minute, you know one of the obviously the last few years, actives kind of had a comeback where you know, it's been talked about quite a bit, you know, but before that and still kind of happening is kind of you know, this big rise of passive investing, you know, massive flows in a passive products. Has that changed the way you operate as an active manager?
Speaker 2: Not really. I mean we're we're aware of the flows and there are some benchmark driven flows, you know, for sure, there's it's it's amazing the concentration that you see at a lot of the big the big benchmarks. I think the top ten stocks in the in the S and P five hundred right now are pushing forty five percent of that at hire for some Russell indices as well. So there's certainly flows related to the benchmark and the waitings of those benchmark that that we certainly have to be aware of. Russell is in the midst of quite a large rebalancing, uh you know now in terms of some of the waitings, especially in the in the tech sector, and so you know, we're we're aware of those and we're we're understanding how they might impact, you know, flows in or out of different names. So it's certainly something that we're aware of. You know, there's there's good bads of passing investing right one is just that it's just kind of said and forget to follow the follow the index. But you're not really making any any good active fundamental decisions. And so you're generally, you know, names that go up you have at at a larger position. Names that go down you're shrinking those position sizes. So it doesn't really afford you the opportunity to take advantage of of potential mispricings in that I'd love to find, you know, one of those names that didn't appreciate as much as as others, but you know, but is likely to play some ketchup. We've certainly seen that and uh in recent uh you know market action names that have been very small and uh in certain benchmarks that that that grew. If if you're in a in a passive vehicle, then you by definition did not own that smaller position size when it double triple quadrupled. You know, an active manager has the potential to to make a bigger weight in that position and generate alpha by owning some of those names. Uh. Contrarily, if you own in a benchmark, if you own those highly appreciated names there that are high because uh, you know, just multiple expansion, I'm really driving up the value of the of the company when those do shrink, you know, shrinking from a much bigger base, uh than if you're an active manager and you have the chance to reduce that position accordingly based on the on the fundamentals. So uh, I obviously am am a big proponent of of active uh management. It's how you know, we operate around here and so you know, we think there's just a much greater ability to add alpha and generate outside returns, obviously in in in active management versus passive.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think a lot of investors agree, just as you know, the last couple of years, active has been making quite a comeback. But I've got one more question before I let you go. What would you say has become harder about growth investing over the last five or ten years? And you know, does anything actually become easier?
Speaker 2: Yes, I think that the pace of information flow is definitely the thing that we've seen accelerate, not just over the past you know, five or ten years actually, but even just over the course of my career. I've been at this for over twenty five years. I remember when I first started at at four to oh one, the fax machines would start humming and start spitting out earnings releases right after the market closing. Tear them off the fax machine and get to work. Yeah. So the pace of information well has certainly UH increased, and so as a result, you've really had to do a much better job of UH with that single noise ratio. There's a lot of information out there that that is really just noise that it's easy to get caught up in that, you know, press release on this, a pers release on that, A data point here, a data point there. Sometimes you know, just just crazy data points in terms of you know, aerial images and and uh, you know, exciting stuff, which is uh, it's it just creates just a lot of extra information, some of the valuable, some less so. And so you know, sometimes I think, uh, investors in general can can lose sight of the forest for the trees and uh, and so I think it's just really important to to keep an eye on what's really important, what's really driving your thesis, uh on a on a stock, and really focus in on those elements, you know, and and and separate out all that noise from that from that that's signal, and I think that allows you to make better investment decisions over the long term.
Speaker 1: Okay, fair enough, we need to end here. But this is a lot of fun, Doug, thank you so much again for joining me.
Speaker 2: Great Thank you, Dave. I enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: I also want to thank our listeners. If you liked the episode, please share it, subscribe and leave a review. And if you'd like to see more of our research on the terminal, go to b I Fund, Go for fund and Active Research until our next episode. This is David Cohne with inside Active