Speaker 1: But people don't understand is you saw it as a friend. On the back end, people see a character. But that is my real passion. When I'm trailing Jayleen Brown, I love Jalen. I fight you dog. When I'm training Bobby Portis, that's Bobby Portters is one of my best friends.
Speaker 2: If we gotta fight, we gotta fight.
Speaker 1: The year that Grayson Allen finished Number one, that's that summer we trained.
Speaker 2: He stepped in me, really, but not stepped to me like let's rumble, but stepped at me like yo, bro, And I'm like, what the fuck? Make the shot. We're not leaving. You gotta make thirty in a row? What up? Y'all? At your boy? Kevin on stage? Want to welcome you? Do not my Best.
Speaker 1: Moment podcast where I talk to athletes, artists, entertainers and friends about their successful failures.
Speaker 2: Today I'm here with none of it. Then the lethal.
Speaker 1: Shooter aka Chris Matthews and I've been waiting for this.
Speaker 2: Let me let me tell y'all, let me read your stuff off Letho. I willa call him Letho. My name of Letho. I'm gonna call him though, actually myma named Chris. But I'm gonna call him though.
Speaker 1: He's a highly sought after, respected private shooting coach who has trained athletes at the top of the basketball world. Former McDonald's All American nominee led his high school squads to an overall fifty two to six record. Lethal still holds to this day the same by the venture record for threes in the season, with one hundred and one threes, ranked seventh all time in school history in May threes. His reputation as lethal shooter was later submitted when he broke Craig Hodges' NBA level shooting drill record by making twenty three out of twenty five run the rack shots. He boasts incredible lee, incredible client list full of WNBA and NBA stars, Anthony Davis, Dwight Howard, Jayden Brown, James Harden, Contavious Callwell, Pope KOs With Michael Junior, Grayson Allen, Bobby Porters, Cannis Parker, Skylar Digg and Smith, Celebrities.
Speaker 2: Drake Future, You've seen his videos. The list goes on and on.
Speaker 1: Lady and gentleman LETHO. Shoot now, I want to hop right in and give you your flowers first. Okay, you won three things three personal cav flowers. One, as a content creator, I truly admire people who create a lamee that didn't exist. As far as I've seen, and as far as I can see, I didn't see anybody doing what you're doing, both with the training videos and the like trick shots your way right, you know.
Speaker 2: So that's one. Two.
Speaker 1: When we made our video, I knew within point three seconds you were the real deal because when I first shot before the cameras rolling y'all before okay, I'm not gonna spill the sauce, but before we he was just like, before we start, just shoot, keV.
Speaker 2: Just shoot. I took three shots and you were like, did you have a knee injury?
Speaker 1: And I was like, yeah, how did you know? He was like the way you shoot, the way you just step up, I can tell you're protecting your left knee.
Speaker 2: What happened?
Speaker 1: And I was like, I tore my ACL and you were like, okay, you're compensating for that, and I said, hold on, because I mean, I tore it so long ago that I don't even think about it, and that I mean, I already knew because you be making niggas jumpers who ain't hitting hit, you know, a decent looking jump shot, like you can tell as a basketball coach, I know when you and you also train people for TV and movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can.
Speaker 1: If you play basketball, you can always tell when somebody does not or did not play basketball. I feel like basketball is probably the only thing harder to fake is probably soccer because soccer is even more unnatural to control the ball with your feet. But if you ain't shot a basketball your whole life, you can tell. So when I watch your videos, I'd be like, I don't know how he making this shot go in two times in a row. That jumper is broke. And the third thing is you created a career separate from the career you were achieving. So anybody who's able to pivot completely and then make a life, I'd be like, that's really life because you don't know what the cards are going to be dealt to you. So I just had to give your flowers. Thank you, thank you so much. So let's go all the way back because I followed you.
Speaker 2: You played at Wazoo, right, I did play at Washington State for two years. I was a University of Washington Husky. Oh yeah. People are like, why did you play it.
Speaker 1: I was like at the time I was, there was Nate Robinson, Brandon Roy, will Conroy. These people went on to have illustrious careers. Brother, I couldn't have got on the women's team. I played intermualles with some of the women. I said, my brother in Christ, it's over for me. These people are elite level. Well let's go all the way back. You were like a highly touted recruit in high school. I think you played with Kevin Durant on your team. Your path in your mind, where are you thinking your career is going.
Speaker 2: Are you like NBA is the goal?
Speaker 1: Or were you like, just let me go to college first and then we'll see, or were you like I'm going to the league. Yeah, you know, coming from Washington d C. I was blessed to play with a lot of talent in high school, to skip middle school in elementary but in high school, yes, we were the top ten always in the area. We played in the nationally rank schedule, and I was blessed to be the number one shooting guard in the entire state.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And yeah, if I wasn't number one Maryland entire state of Maryland, it's like two hundred and fifty high schools, I was either number one or number two, or number two or number one. It was like always fluctuating shout out to my guy. Following Campbell, me and him were like best friends and we were like going back and forth one, two and three.
Speaker 2: But long story short, it wasn't easy, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like I felled a lot. And by saying that, like I was really bad at shooting. So my dad didn't let me. Yeah, he didn't let me shoot any threes until the ninth grade. So at a young age, all of my friends were allowed to shoot but me, So I had to shoot hook shots in all mid range jump shots. It was embarrassings. It was embarrassing in the.
Speaker 2: Two thousand, late ninety two thousand.
Speaker 1: But that's why I'm the shoot I am today because your dad didn't ch Because my dad made me focus just on mid range jump shots. And then when we hit the ninth grade that summer, I was actually my first high school is called Parkdale, and we played in a tournament called the Rock And in that tournament, my dad said, hey, you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: I was like, what do you mean? He was like, if you want to shoot half court, shoot half court, so.
Speaker 1: I'm like, oh shit, all right, so bruh, I had like thirty really yes, I was like coming down doing it. I was like, yo, what the fuck? And my form was like insane, if that makes sense. But I've never shot that far ever. And then he was like, now you trusted. I was like, yeah, this is crazy. So from there that's when I've been blessed to get ranked, play on the top AAU teams, and to see the world because of basketball. Do you think specifically about shooting a lot of coaches feel like because a lot of kids play at ten foot rim that they they start off with bad form because they are not strong enough to shoot correctly and far. Do you think because your dad didn't let you do that, I actually had better form when it was actually your time to shoot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that's something that a lot of people should study. You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't know, but Tiger Wood's father isn't going to tell him to hit the six hundred yard when first, because it's mechanics to be off. You always start him closing. And that's what my dad did with me. It was called Rudolph Playground in Washington, d C. They had small rims, so they had the big rims, they had the small rims. While all my friends were chucking up shots on the big rim. My dad said, I don't care what they're doing that playground. I don't care what they're doing. Afterwards, you're not playing on that big room because that room was like twelve feet So I had to always shoot on the small rim and I was embarrassed. Bro, Like, I was like, I can't, I can't play with my friends. He was like, be patience, don't you know what I mean? So by doing that, my form has always been the same form. It's always been perfect. So the way you shoot right now, bro, right now, the form I have now is the same form I've had all those years. But the thing was the reason why I couldn't shoot good. Of course when we played in the other games, I couldn't get the ball where I wanted to get it.
Speaker 2: So once my stript got there, it was over. And I do that with my clients.
Speaker 1: So when I had Grace and Illy and he finished number one in the NBA, we didn't shoot a lot of threes.
Speaker 2: We mastered form shooting. We mastered mill range.
Speaker 1: When I had Bobby Portis full season, he finished top three in the NBA Mill range. When I had Grant Williams for the one season, he finished top two in the NBA. That's Grant Williams. He shot two threes in college this year. I had Jalen Brown all season. Shout out to Dash. He trains him as well. But for the shooting aspect with Jalen, He'll tell you it'll be boring to the weak minded. But the reason why Jalen Brown is stimulated is because I'm breaking down everything close.
Speaker 2: So when he does it far, it's like he's a robot. Yeah, you know what I mean. So that's how my training is. So how do you So, how does it work? Do you?
Speaker 1: Is there only a certain amount of clients you can have for the season, And like, I have no idea and I actually I'm not I literally don't know how this works.
Speaker 2: How does this work with the client?
Speaker 1: Say Jaylen Brown this season and he also has his NBA schedule, practices and traveling, Like, what does it look like to be with the NBA with a client for the year, So we can we can use this Celtics for an example. Okay, same with any other team I work with. I actually talk to the staff. So this year with the Celtics, I'll go in Joe Missoula be there, the coaching staff will be there. It's not like I'm like sneaking in. They know I'm coming, and a lot of people, respectfully, they see my content, but they don't realize in the in the sports real world, like the real human I am. People respect my art of shooting teaching for sure. So it's not like you're bringing a lethal shooter in it. You're really bringing coach Matthews into your facility. You get what I'm saying. So the shooter is your content creator part of you. Chris Matthews is the shooting coach part. Yes, And I don't think people understand that. So like last week we had Nike Elite one hundred in Saint Louis. I'm lethal shooter because the kids, but I'm really the coach Nike Academy.
Speaker 2: I'm like the coach, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to that, the schedules are packed, but we always make sure we're doing tune ups like once a month, and it's very agree. I'm trying to attack your mind, I'm trying to attack your soul and I'm trying to attack your mechanics. And that's why with you, respectfully, somebody that I felt that you haven't been attacked that way in a long time. Coaching wise, I could tell you were you were a dear to headlights at first.
Speaker 2: And also you're a little tense in a loving way.
Speaker 1: For a loving way, I ain't been coached since I was in high school. Yes, you had nobody yell at me for basketball things like I've been playing for fun. And also you don't you know, social media kind of tricks your brain because you only see like, obviously to me a contract creator, you're playing a character, right and obviously to me you also know what you're talking about. Yes, but nobody sees the heart before the video where you were like, all right, I'm not playing no way, I'm not mixing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I thought you was messing with No I ain't and it was double ram What is that? I don't care that you gotta make it twice? So yeah, but long story short to go into this.
Speaker 1: If I'm in there training Jalen, we have Tony Dobbins, you know what I mean. We have coach Missoula there. They're all Tony Tony Dobbins on the staff. The whole staff is like, I'm not going If I help the Bucks, if I help Phoenix, if I help the staff knows that I'm coming. Like this season, this year, I was blessed to help aj Debondsa he won number one shout out to the Wizards. But he's been under Nike since like the tenth grade. So this season when I had him at BYU is not like it's a secret. I let the coaching staff come in. So of course I don't post my real formula un for sure, I mean you can't.
Speaker 2: I can't.
Speaker 1: But when it comes to a b YU, when it comes to like University of North Carolina, when it comes to the teams that I'm actually helping, the staff can sit in and watch. This isn't a secret. This is this is the formula, and I'm here to help. And I'm blessed to work with Sam Jones from Nike as well. We do curriculums as long as with like Corey Alexander and Jabel from Team Takeover. We do it to help the coaches. So it's not like my formula. I'm teaching something and I'm like, oh no, you can't be in here. What I won't do is I won't put it on social media for sure because another trainer contect your Yes. But I do do coaching clinics for the NBA for Nike, so real, yes to coach the coaches humbly, yes, yes you got m be humble.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is what you did, It's what I do. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So like for Nike, we might have at Peach Dam, we might have like fifty coaches in there, and we'll be breaking down the art of shooting, if that makes sense. At Nike Academy with all the NBA assistants, will be breaking down the art of shooting. And that's my job and that's my value to Nike and Jordan Brand. That people don't see for the last six years that that's what I've been doing at a very high level.
Speaker 2: They just see me shooting unfortunately from space or shooting underwater.
Speaker 1: So like that the thing that I followed you for a long time, and I think the thing where I.
Speaker 2: Settled this is I believe part of is God given talent. God's good.
Speaker 1: When you were shooting jellybeans into the water bottles, I said, man, this is not like it's real, But like, how were like it's editing. Even if it were right, you still made that. I'll be honest with everybody right now, if the one I made from half court, that one only took five minutes, and it was luck because I was doing something with Steven A and I pulled over my team and I said.
Speaker 2: I said, I think I can make him half court.
Speaker 1: And Nate was like, bro, come on, man, like what the like like because every time I think I did, say, we're red bull. When I think of ideas, they're like, all right, call the lawyer, see if it gets approved, like this guy's like. So Nate is like, all right, let's just get out real quick. Then Andrew was like, all right, let's set it up. It went, It went in. Really, the one that took the longest was the behind the because I wasn't looking, so I had to throw it backwards. That's the one that took the longest, and it was wind blowing in the valley. That stuff matters for sure, especially that's small.
Speaker 2: Small. Now.
Speaker 1: The one that was the easiest, now, remember half court, I didn't think I was gonna make it.
Speaker 2: The one that was the easiest was the blindfolded one. Because I am.
Speaker 1: Good with censes. So like, if I know that camera's right there, and then I look at the camera and then I blind my eye, I still can see everything. You get what I'm saying, and I feel like God has blessed me. That's why in Saint Bonaventure, when those records you name, which was a blessing, those are records from people who were there for four years.
Speaker 2: I was only for two years.
Speaker 1: So if I was there for four years, I would have shattered everything. And what people don't know is my senior year in college, I was top five in the nation and three's made.
Speaker 2: We didn't go to the NC DOUBLEA Tournament, just so you know.
Speaker 1: And in the A ten that year, I was number one in three point percentage and three pointers made.
Speaker 2: Do you get where I'm coming from? I do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So people think, you know, I hate when people say this is some real stuff between me and you, like everybody's watching them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is live life. Oh shit, I can say that it's just gonna go out.
Speaker 1: So the other day, Mike Beasley on Shannon Sharp Show was like, Yo, the lethal shooter is one of the best shooters I've ever had on my team in my life. I seen that and What people don't understand is humbly, like I can really like people see my videos like he can't shoot with a hand in his face?
Speaker 2: Are you fucking serious? Like no, I'm being serious like like br like I'm a robot. Like you get what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: You don't go to the PAC ten Back then, because I was an instagrammer.
Speaker 2: There was no Instagram.
Speaker 1: Tony Bennett came to the gym University of Arizona, University of Georgetown, Syracuse.
Speaker 2: I had offers.
Speaker 1: Mississippi State back then SEC because what I was doing humbly. Now that I'm an adult, it's like this shit is crazy. But back then, I wasn't thinking like that. This was a social I wasn't even shooting for the cameras. I was literally going, Wow, what year is this? For people who don't know.
Speaker 2: Who you wouldn't be able to say that. You might got to google that one might.
Speaker 1: But my senior year, which was a blessing in AAU, I made first team with Rondo, Russell Westbrook j R.
Speaker 2: Smith, all those guys.
Speaker 1: I broke the Back then, it was called the Big Time Tournament with Adidas.
Speaker 2: I played for DC Assault and I broke all the all the records.
Speaker 1: Wow, I broke all the big time three point records because this is where they messed up and it was not my fault, that's their fault. They had us playing at LMU and the backdrop was too close. Really, So I went to my coach. I'm like, man, what's the most reason this motherfucker?
Speaker 2: And he told me. I was like, I'm gonna shout at these bitches.
Speaker 1: So one of the games I broke a record was against greg Odin's team. Really, they would call team I forgot the name of their team. They had Mike Conley, they had a cook. And I asked my coach. We played a game this year. I was playing with the Philly Crusaders. Shout out to coach Schofield. He died and shout out to coach Raheem. I said, bro the ball is too close.
Speaker 2: I said, what's the record?
Speaker 1: And he was like eight. I said, I can brick it. So I can brick it. Just just just trust me.
Speaker 2: And what did I do?
Speaker 1: I broke the record against greg Odins team. But these are the type type of what people don't understand. You saw it as a friend on the back end. People see a character, but that is my real passion. When I'm trailing Jalen Brown, I love Jalen. I'll fight you dog. When I'm training Bobby Portis, that's Bobby Porters is one of my best friends.
Speaker 2: But if we gotta fight, we gotta fight.
Speaker 1: The year that Grayson Allen finished number one, that that summer we trained.
Speaker 2: He stepped in me.
Speaker 1: He really, but not stepped at me like let's rumble, but stepped in me like yo, bro, And I'm like, what the fuck make the shot.
Speaker 2: We're not leaving. You got to make thirty in a row.
Speaker 1: But I'm not doing it because the character that people see on ig with you, I'm like, that's not real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But the guy that my passion.
Speaker 1: Is there, aj Debonza, Kleb and all the elite. Just last week I had to train Beckham Black. He's the number one point guard in the nation. I flew the Dallas to train him. They see the real lead thal shooter for sure. And if I feel like you're wasting my time, yeah, it's a problem. Even if they pays you, it's a problem. And you got to realize I'm not the trainer. I'm not looking to be your friend, bro, I'm not trying to hang out in the club with you. I'm not trying to sit at the draft table with you. I'm not trying to be that guy we we buying chains together. I'm here to help you and your family get generational wealth, right. And I think with in the business, we're in trainers, once they get the bread, they trying to be their homie.
Speaker 2: I'm not looking to be your friend.
Speaker 1: All I want to push you to the to be so uncomfortable, like a Jalen Brown that you can get three hundred million.
Speaker 2: Like when I was with Bobby Porters, he signed for like one hundred ms.
Speaker 1: The year I had KCP, he finished like top five in the NBA, he signed for ninety ms.
Speaker 2: So it's just like me, I'm not here that like when you go to Bora Bora to kick it that I'm that guy.
Speaker 1: No, I'm the guy where we're gonna lock ourselves in the gym, send me on that trip.
Speaker 2: I think people they probably can really appreciate that.
Speaker 1: Then they do for sure, because Instagram guys and me and your age group that's sitting on the couch that played JV in the twelfth grade, they're the ones that's hating the most if you notice about social media, the guy that AAU, his mom and dad had to pay the coach to put him in the game.
Speaker 2: You get what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I'm telling you if you if you read the comments and then click the guys or the I don't know if you do this as well. Sometimes you go to their page. It's like, bro, like, come on, bro, bro, put your page on private.
Speaker 2: Bro Like.
Speaker 1: But that's the world we live in today with social media, and that's why God is good where I don't have to prove myself online that I'm like I can shoot for elite shooting coach. If you think I'm a bum, thanks for following me and thanks for.
Speaker 2: The like, Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, taking a quick commercial break. We'll be right back. So let me ask you a question that I see in your comments all the time. And I know you've answered this before, but if people haven't heard you, what happened to your career? Why did we not see? Because you know the day, the way the NBA has played today. I know you're like, oh my god, space and place space? Uh space, what is it? Pac and Space? I know you probably feel like you would have thrived in today's NBA. What take us from you know Saint Bonnie to Wazoo to you know you played Overseas to becoming lethal shooter. I think maybe the one biggest mistake I ever made was when I so with Tony Benn that we went to the Sweet sixteen. I played with Aaron Baines, I paid with Kyle Weaver. I played with Derek like.
Speaker 2: We were loaded.
Speaker 1: And I was immature, and I didn't realize that every big game Oregon, UCLA USC, this guy would start me.
Speaker 2: And then the games that were nothing, I wouldn't play.
Speaker 1: But he was molding me and my friend Mack Hobson, who went to Murder University, Idaho, by the way, he was molding us for when these guys left. But in my brain, now that I'm patient, because I'm older, I'm thinking, nah, now, Tony, are you crazy? Like I'm from DC, I'm trying to get out the ghetto. You know what I mean now that I'm older. When I went to my meeting and Tony said, listen to me, I promise you, if you wait till your senior year, all these guys are going to be gone.
Speaker 2: It's going to be your team. It's going to be max team.
Speaker 1: You're gonna average ten point back then, if you averaged ten points in the Pac ten, you're gone. Really, you don't realize people like Aaron Afollo, Jordan Farmmer, they didn't average ton it was too hard to score. But the games that they would play me a lot, which was one of the one of the games like you dub against Brandon Roy, against all those elite guys you had.
Speaker 2: I killed that game, but because he saw it.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't my time. And the one thing I've learned about life, that's why I am where I am is patience. Brother, and I should have stayed in Washington, stayed because I know for a fact, humbly, I know I'd have made it to the NBA because the Pack ten back then was the NBA.
Speaker 2: It really was Bro. It was the NBA dog. People don't understand how hard the Pack ten was.
Speaker 1: But Westbrook didn't average crazy. No, it wasn't about that. It was about that you're doing it consistently against that high volume talent. So when I went to the Atlantic ten, which was a blessing because Coach Schmidt he believed in me Bro, But the A ten was the a ten back then, the shooters like we were lucky to get like Deontay Christmas and as a guard different guys.
Speaker 2: But it wasn't like if you.
Speaker 1: Finished top five in the in your league, in the cuntre in the eighteen year automatically and if that makes sense. So when it was time for me to get drafted, I mean I kind of knew what was going on. So I went to France when people don't know. I don't even think you knew this.
Speaker 2: I went to France.
Speaker 1: I made a lot of money. I got injured. It was the same injury from high school that people don't know. I tore my mcl and I had to wear like that Stone Colt, Steve Austin. Yeah, but I was lucky that my high school team was so stacked. Bro. My only job was shoot three ye Bro, my only job, but I was That's why I was a McDonald andy. That's why I made the All team in DC because Kevin has the attention, Deron Washington has the attention all these illegal and all I have to do is just score a lot of points be available. When I went overseas, I was like, these people are really psychopaths, Like these coaches are nuts, Like I've never like my coaches were nuts, but these people are crazy. So I was explaining to the coast, like, yo, like my knee kind of sore. But I never told them that I had an injury. Oh I never told them this. What was the reason you didn't tell them?
Speaker 2: Bro?
Speaker 1: It's overseas, Like if they know you have an injury, you might not get two hundred thousand euros, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Now, they're probably doing background checks and stuff.
Speaker 1: Back then, if they saw you play in a EuroLeague camp and you're killing, they're not going to say, oh, he might be missing a.
Speaker 2: Big toe like you know what I mean. So I go over there, I murder. It's called cup games.
Speaker 1: Before you play the big games, you play like friendly cup games, but you win awards.
Speaker 2: I murdered all those games. Bro.
Speaker 1: It was called x Mirion. We won the most cup games ever in their history. So I'm like, we bet it's time to turn up. I'm trying to tell my coach. Look, Bro, I'm not trying to make excuses, but the condition I can feel my knee locking, So my knee would lock so bad that when I put it up and goow like you can hear it.
Speaker 2: So now, as a shooter, when you shoot, what do you do?
Speaker 1: You compensate And I can't compensate when you have this guy from freaking Russia or the Ukraine guarding you full court and his whole livelihood is to stop the American.
Speaker 2: So I couldn't I couldn't score. So I'm like, coach, I can't score because you're killing me in practice.
Speaker 1: You're the American. You're acting like a punk. People don't understand overseas is only built for the strong. So they were like, hey, we got to send you home. So my agent back then was like, hey, the good thing about France is they got to give you one hundred percent pay.
Speaker 2: Do you want to go home? I said, shit, send me home, man, I got one hundred and fifty thousand years. Send me home. Bro. Going back in DC, I got a BMW. I ain't bet. But that was a bad decision.
Speaker 1: I should have stayed over there and fought through it. Once again, patience, trusting the process, taking my time. I go on to Russia, one of the top leagues in Russia, same thing. I get poked in the eye. I'm all messed up. I mess up my knee again. And if you think you can make it in life, let me tell you this right now. That movie with Rocky when he fought against the Russia b that shit's real. We had backpass weights running through the woods.
Speaker 2: This is real. We're waking up every day at five in the morning. Take it. I was like I was.
Speaker 1: I don't know how triggered you might have been. I was so triggered that I'll be sleep and thought I missed my alarm. Then it'd be like one of them. I like, no, I'm serious, bro, this is how serious the training was. The knee injury came back again. So I'm like, well, I can't win and I signed for this much money. Now I got to go back to DC again. But the good thing about Russia, which I wasn't patient, They said, hey, you're hurt, We'll keep you here. We'll let you get back one hundred percent if you want to stay.
Speaker 2: You're not a part of team. But if you want to stay, we do love that you're here.
Speaker 1: You can live here. What I want to do not patient, send me home. I go play in South America. My lung collapse. It's called polydaria deema. I think fifty percent of the people survived. I think what's the guard name that was with the Wizards. He played for the Blazers for a long period of time. Now he's with the Hawks. He caught podd edema and he almost died as well.
Speaker 2: But he's a guard. He's a vet guard.
Speaker 1: And I'm not being funny, bro, Like four months straight, I had to like pee in a two. They had a two in me to poop.
Speaker 2: I had to They had to bring the thing because your body shuts.
Speaker 1: I couldn't move my legs, like the whole bottom half became fro Like it's real and the only reason. I mean, of course I would have crawled out, but like when I woke up, when I caught it, I'm like, I can't move my limbs.
Speaker 2: So I started screaming and my teammate came in there and they had to call ambulams. So so google that. So long story short, this is the truth. To this day, my lungs aren't the same.
Speaker 1: So like, that's why I'm lucky to be a part of companies like Red Bull, because what people don't know is when I do my extreme did you see me jump off the bridge?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: When I do content like that this is not something that we're just doing to test. Red Bull would do certain type of tests on me to see if my body can handle environments. Did you see the content India.
Speaker 2: Red Bull?
Speaker 1: I had to train for five months. Well, people don't even attempt that, bro, did you see the hell I was doing?
Speaker 2: I just thought you were like a record, do that you'll pass out? I didn't even I didn't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so long story short, or people didn't see us to give away something we did. There's like five different drivers because what a human can do that and just keep it, just keep going, So they we did different tests. We're training in Santa Monica, And that's why it's a blessing to Beeple, the company that cares for your best interest, because if they didn't care, they'd be sending me off. And all these ideas are humbly like they're my ideas, Like anything you see online, I'm the psychopath behind Like how do you even think of because I watch your videos and I'm just like I assumed it was you, but like how to even know that apparatus exists? So I was watching the music video for the India one.
Speaker 2: I forgot his name. I apologized he's love. It's my brother.
Speaker 1: But I saw in the music video these guys are going around this the Wall of Death, said sign me up, and I called Red Bull.
Speaker 2: I told Christian I want to do the Wall of Death. He's like, oh my god. So well.
Speaker 1: People don't know is for Red Bull just to give away some more. They're not sending you on death wishes. They have to like really do a process, like we have lawyers, we have certain stuff like I could die, bro.
Speaker 2: We did it and it was successful.
Speaker 1: The bridge thing, I could have died. Did you see the one with the wind turbine and Kenya?
Speaker 2: Yes, I could have died.
Speaker 1: What people don't see is I go all the way up on the crane even if you lock me in and the crane tips over, what do I do? I'm gone, so real lethal, that's the lethal part of it. That's what people don't understand. I'm doing this because I'm seeing stuff and it stimulates me, not telling viewers if you see death or something. I'm saying, I think I can make the jump shot. I just pitched something to Red Bull. We can't do it because it's impossible, but I wanted to jump out of a plane. I wanted to jump out of a plane and make a shot, but it's impossible because the force. We can't even use a weighted ball. Because if we use a weighted ball and I'm going down, I can risk it's somebody on the ground, Bro, you can kill somebody. So but these are things that go through my mind. But I'll see it here.
Speaker 2: First.
Speaker 1: I'm going to Africa in four weeks. I'm going to Germany in a month, and I'm going some wild stuff. I'm doing some I can't tell you what it is, but I'll make sure I tag you for tag make sure I tag you.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you, what when did you decide okay, professional or traditional basketball is done?
Speaker 2: It is? Yeah?
Speaker 1: What was like accepting that part of your life because at that point that has been your life, your whole life, and this happens in every athlete.
Speaker 2: I'll say depression, Homelessness, yeah, man, homeless. I was lucky.
Speaker 1: My cousin, Tayvon, he's my best friend, he's my blood cousin. He's my best friend. And if it wasn't for him, shit, I mean, I'll be selling drugs. I'd have been shooting people. I'd have been I mean I'm about that, you know what I mean? And he was like, nah, bro, I got a house and district heights in there as long as you want, until you figure it out. But what he didn't know was I would put so like our windows, I will put black drapes over the windows. And I was staying there literally all day from depression. And then my uncle Arnold would come home, because he'll come home.
Speaker 2: Like around four.
Speaker 1: I'll leave at three thirty and then come back late at night and act like I did something all day. But I was going through hell mentally because in our communities, I feel like I felt like now that I understand patients. If you don't become the rapper, if you don't become the basketball player, if you don't become the football player, if you don't become this thing, you didn't make it, because that's how they make you feel. You know what I'm saying, Like, I don't know how your hood is, but certain hoods like oh, look at.
Speaker 2: Man, he thought he's gonna be a big comedian. Now he only at the bar.
Speaker 1: Right, No, what's wrong with what's wrong with doing comedy in front of ten people? They feel if it's not one hundred thousand people, then you didn't make it, if that makes sense. Yeah, And that's the pressure I was putting on myself. And then when I tapped out of it, when I realized it's more than me to just that, I became a school teacher.
Speaker 2: Bro I was. I was a janitor.
Speaker 1: I sold I'm sign of Red Bull. So I don't want to say to the other company, but I sold.
Speaker 2: For a company. I sold cans. BRO.
Speaker 1: For a whole summer, we were getting raises on how many times how many cans at a carnival that we sold, if that makes sense. So we're selling cans, and if you don't sell a certain amount of cans, you couldn't get the bonus. Was selling the shit out the cans. BRO sell them like it's drum man, what you know what I'm saying?
Speaker 2: Excuse me? Service?
Speaker 1: You like, oh yeah, come on, come on, like you know what I mean. But I wasn't afraid of of where my path was going. I feel like a lot of people don't make it in life because social media has made them want instant gratification. Instead of going through the failure to get to the promised land, they want to just get to the promised land, and then what happens is they missed the promised land because they tried to fake it to get there, but they didn't go through the hard times to make it in life, and people people don't know. You know, I don't say this a lot because I'm not the type.
Speaker 2: This happened to me. Make it go for me, bro.
Speaker 1: Both of my parents it's the eighties in DC. Bro, both of my parents are on drugs. I didn't grow with my parents. I only seen my dad four times my whole life.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately he overdosed a few years ago. People don't even know. My biological mom just died two months ago. I'm not online, bro, this is what I hate. Will people be online looking for like those posts? Wheres like just looking for attention to me? Like if that makes sense, I'm trying to use certain stuff, like certain trauma I feel online so people can feel sorry for you, like like, don't don't like that that's me. I feel like that's that's weak to me. So I'm not online. Like, people don't know my biological brother just got locked up. He's got I'm not going online and my brothers just got locked up.
Speaker 2: Nah, bruh.
Speaker 1: Some stuff stay off social media, and I think with in today's world, everybody is just so flabbergastic about social media to look a certain type of way that they forget the process. And I think people like you that's why I'm so stimulated by you. You get the process, brother, You get that process, And that's why I am who I am because of all my trauma. Not saying people go through trauma, like, get a therapist, bro, get a therapist, guys. But what I'm trying to say is that's what made me lethal shooters.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean? Like people know I've been locked up. I didn't know that. Yeah, Like people don't.
Speaker 1: Know these things drugs nah nah, So like you yeah yeah, yeah, we're gonna mess up my brands.
Speaker 2: It's sounded like you.
Speaker 1: But the first incident I was with a friend and growing up in DC, what people don't understand is man's.
Speaker 2: A war zone. Bro.
Speaker 1: You know, I grew up around Langdon Park, I grew up around Kennedy. I grew up around Lakeland in Maryland, which was Section eight at the time. It was one of the biggest crack epidemics in that community because they move everybody from southeast Northeast with vouchers.
Speaker 2: Move all in one community.
Speaker 1: I grew up around First and Gallaton and unfortunately, crack epidemic, so I was in situations that bro I didn't I didn't want to be in these situations. I'm just protecting myself. So I'm at a place called the Boulevard and one of my boys was beefing with somebody. So I'm fresh from Washington State, like fresh, like man, I'm the man. I'm getting packed in money. I'm living in the condo at Washington State.
Speaker 2: I come home. But these are the decisions. You got to learn know who to be around or learn to who not to be around. And that's what I've mastered. Now. You know who my best friends are. My kids and my wife. Those are my best friends. You know what I say. Of course, my mom and I'm trying to say, I'm not looking. You ain't out in the street like me and you we could have been out last night, mean tee weekend, like you know what I'm saying. So it's just like I understand.
Speaker 1: But to get back to what we were talking about, these dudes tap on the glass because my neighborhood's beefing with another neighborhood. That I didn't know nothing about fresh from college. The dudes come in, they try to jump one of my mans. He pull out the jont.
Speaker 2: Bung bung bung bung bung bom.
Speaker 1: And well, people don't know about me, which I'm not on line. See the thing I don't do around for where I'm from. I'm not going back home and doing videos. Man, we outside, woo woo woo.
Speaker 2: I got the aar, I got the British bulldog. Woo woo woo. I let that thing go. That's not cool to me.
Speaker 1: And I feel like a lot of people me and your position, they want that validation. Grow the hell up, you know what, Grow the fuck up. When I go back to my hood, I'm talking to the men, I'm telling them, hey, man, this is what I learned about being a father. I'm having dinners with men in my community. Just came home from the FEDS. I'm helping men figure out different things about life. I'm not going back to my neighborhood trying to do a video to show that I come from the trenches.
Speaker 2: If that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And with that being said, this incident.
Speaker 1: Man, I was rumbling bro and one of the dudes had one I mean I slashed around his hand smacked him with the jones, If that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I run when the when the police came and I hit under the car.
Speaker 1: The reason why I hit under the car is because number one, I shouldn't have been in that situation. I hear somebody say he's under the car. So I'm like, fuck, if I get up and run, I gotta wash it in state.
Speaker 2: Hoodie on I'm done.
Speaker 1: They locked me up. I go to precinct. I got to stay there all night. The police officer is like, do you know that blah blah blah had a gun on them?
Speaker 2: Bro of course?
Speaker 1: But I'm like, no, I didn't know he had a gun on them. Is he known to have used violence? I don't know, sir. I came straight from college. Number One, in my head, I should never got.
Speaker 2: The fun car. Why am I doing it this car? You got what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: So he's like asking me all these questions all night. So my dad picks me up in the morning, smacks the shit out of me. What the fuck are you doing? You get what I'm saying. I get back and around the way. One of my friends apologized to me put me in that situation. The second situation that people don't understand. My cousin Tavon shot to him. He knew it as well.
Speaker 2: It was his fault. He had a Z and I think the Z at that time, the Nissan zgos were like one sixty. Yeah, it goes fast.
Speaker 1: My license was suspended, bro, my license was suspended for other stuff that we're not gonna talk about it here. But I was outside this time. I'm at home, my license suspended, and he gives me a car and I drive it. The police pulled me over, where's your license? I was like, man, it's at home. I don't got it, my dumb ass. They do the computer thing. Bro, it's called U Street. Everybody's outside. But I'm not Leathrow Shooter. By the way, I'm Chris Matthews. I mean, my brand is my brand, but I'm not like, yeah, now you lock me.
Speaker 2: Up now, people for sure, I'm done.
Speaker 1: And I got locked up and I had to spend two days in jail. I had to spend two days in jail. But I wasn't mad, bro, like I was, just I knew it was my fault, if that makes sense. And these are things and testimonies that people don't know I was on EBT for three years.
Speaker 2: Bro. Wow, I was on EBT for three.
Speaker 1: Years, man, And when people don't know what that situation. My sister y'all Knail, we both come from the same situation.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: She was lucky that her mom took care of her. I was lucky that my cousins took care of me and my mom, Stephanie, if it wasn't for her and Jeffrey Bro I'm telling y'all be in jail. They didn't take me out of the situation. They took me out of uptown. And we've been in a situation. But my sister, y'all Nail, I was lucky to have, you know, my father, which was my cousin when I when I'm speaking right now, and she let me live on her couch. It's called the pinnacles. I lived in her couch when I was going through a tough time. And I know I need to get it fixed. But don't judge me right now. But I can't pass the damn l A d V test. My damn license still says DC.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: They're biased, they're biased, so you need to go. I got one more year left in DC. I got one more left. But I'm telling you right now, if my license gets canceled this time, I will not drive.
Speaker 2: I won't drive.
Speaker 1: But that's why, that's why I got I got locked up those two times a gun charge because I took the gun out the dude's hand, hit him with it, ran and to the lady who's screaming, which she should have it was. It was an intense environment at the blah blah blah. She's making it seem like I pulled out the blicky like you get what I'm saying. But yeah, those you know what, I actually got locked up three times. I got locked up three times. I was I was say, micing it. I'm driving a friend's car. It's called Montgomery County, this borderline that those police don't play. I was driving mess with a messed up license, and they made me stay in there for.
Speaker 2: A whole day, a whole day. Bro. Hey guys, taking a quick commercial break. We'll be right back. So let me ask you this.
Speaker 1: Was lethal shooter A was it a process? Like what in your mind sent you down that path? Because, like, like I said, this didn't really exist. Maybe dude perfect, but that's not trick. Shot is not it's not like a one to one. You have like a very specific thing. Did you see this before?
Speaker 2: Like what what? What? What happened in your mind?
Speaker 1: So I was a psychopath as a trainer because I was brought up by his name's Delonte Nutt Taylor. He was my mentor that helped us because the kids in our neighborhood, if you weren't a certain way, bro, I'm telling you right now, bro, we're gonna kill you. We're gonna sell crack, We're gonna anything. We weren't supposed to do towards basketball.
Speaker 2: We bout that.
Speaker 1: And I'm talking about ages twelve to eighteen. We outside like we're thirty year old, right, and we with the shits. So the way the coaches trained us, they had to be that way because our environment. If you weren't that way, we would say fuck basketball.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So I never really did the trick shot stuff because that's corny to me. During COVID, I'm like, fuck, man, like what do I do? How do I provide for my family? Because I can't really be one on one with people, if that makes sense.
Speaker 2: So I was like my whole life, I shot on crates, I shot on hangers. I would.
Speaker 1: So what people do understand about me is like I have a problem where I could be sitting in this room right here, and I'll see something and then like, oh, like like those three dots right there that made me think about back in the day when we had to stick our Nintendo sixty four in there.
Speaker 2: But that's how my brain operates.
Speaker 1: Like I get, that's what my brain right now, I'm talking to you, but I'm just like, man, this guy's a hell of a comedian, Like, oh, this guy is real, calm, look at him.
Speaker 2: Just let But that's my brain. So I say, you know what, fuck this. If people make fun of me in the in the in the NBA field, they're gonna have to make fun of me.
Speaker 1: So I did a video where I took a piece of luninfoil and the can was far as shit and I threw the lumenfoil and it dropped it and I said, holy shit, and I posted it and then people went crazy. So I did another video which sorry Rodondo Beach. I was living in Rodondo Beach at the time, But this is my brain.
Speaker 2: I took the backboard off the rim. Remember this is COVID.
Speaker 1: I took the backboard off and I did a shooting video with my friend Aaron. He runs Lakers All Day's page. He's a good friend of mine as well.
Speaker 2: Great guy. We did the video, people went crazy Sports Center House like, hey, can we post for esp Yeah. From there, red Bull hits me, we can't sign you. Why can't you sign me? You're not a professional athlete, But do some more videos. We think you. We think we might make you the first ever person signed under the athlete rim that we've if that makes sense. I'm not bro. I don't play for Maccabi.
Speaker 1: I don't play, but I'm like signed, like I'm aj de Bonzo, Anthony Davis back at.
Speaker 2: The time he's not with us anymore, or Jaylen Brown. So I went on to do it. My Rep Christian caused me. He said, I think it's time we go to Austria. They're like, yo, we don't.
Speaker 1: We don't think that this guy, like he's not real, like basically like he's not a professional. So now humbly saying this after five years, it's a blessing that this company believed in me because I'm one of their biggest assets.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: They believe in me the same way I believe in my kids and when I take something to my rep or they take it to Austria to the headquarters, They've never second guess anything. Now, if that makes sense, I'm a global ambassador for them.
Speaker 2: So what does that entail? Like? I know that you partner to do the videos, but what is like a globe ambassador? So like, let's do with Red Bull. People think it's just an energy drink, but they're big on the community. Bro. I'm not rich, you know.
Speaker 1: Every year they help me do turkey drives in my hood. They help me help AU teams in my hood. They help me help single moms. They helped me renovate basketball court in my hood. And the one thing that people don't know about Red Bull that I love. They don't want no credit, bro. They want to empower the athlete to give back to their community. And that's why I'm partner with Nike and Jordan Brand, because they don't want you to do the pot like the other day I played. I played Boys and Girls Club growing up.
Speaker 2: Bro.
Speaker 1: If it wasn't for the Boys and Girls Club, Bro, I wouldn't be the man I am today. If it wasn't for coach Jill and coach Swhitty playing for Number six Uptown of Coolidge and a Rudolph football field.
Speaker 2: We went back with Jordan brand. Bro, we just gave away three hundred pair of Jordan's. Wow.
Speaker 1: You know what with my rep from Jordan Brands, I said, how y'all want me to post? He said, if you want too, cool, but if not, we want to. We want you to keep giving back to your community.
Speaker 2: That's what it's all.
Speaker 1: And I'm not talking about we giving them the ross Jonts were giving them the krim Della crymp.
Speaker 2: Bro. I got a video.
Speaker 1: I gave a kid some retros, Like I mean, I didn't post it on my instag because I got big.
Speaker 2: See the thing I told you with this Instagram, I'm not big on its exploiting my hood for sure. I gave a video to a kid, bro, real talk. The boy started crying. Bro, he wouldn't let me go. I'm like, yo, I gotta call the next game the next name. But it was so yeah.
Speaker 1: I said, you know what, y'all give him a second. And that's what my life's all about. And that's how I feel about the companies that are with PlayStation. We've done three game rooms. In neighborhoods that people would say, Oh no, they were, but you know why they do it because they want to give back.
Speaker 2: If you signed me as a brand, you're not signing me, you signed my community.
Speaker 1: And that's why with Red Bull, when they were telling me the infrastructure they could bring to my company, not just the content, that's why I signed with Red Bull.
Speaker 2: So let me ask you this. We have to get you out of here. You've had everybody on your page. Yeah, you're pretty consistent.
Speaker 1: Do you have to like lock in or is it just like once you start shooting, your mind automatically, is like I don't care who you are Kat Williams to doctor Dre, to Rashid Wallace to Kevin Garnett. Does it not matter who is there or you like internally.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, this is Kat Williams. Well, people like Kevin Garnett, Rashik already shoot. Yes. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So if you're going by starstruck, I would say the one person that I was starstruck to help with the artist shooting.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It takes a lot, you know, really yeah, because we're all humans. But excuse me, I was I'm not being funny bro like don't make fun. But everybody, like all the celebrities I've done, I like, yes, I did Cat Williams, but the same way I feel about Cat Williams and the same way I feel about Jamie Fox and Mikes, the same way I feel about you.
Speaker 2: So I don't really do the level thing.
Speaker 1: But just to be clear here, because people be in my DMS acting like I'm too big time. Yes, I'm not doing a shooting video with every single person like it doesn't make sense, if that makes sense. But I would say the one person that basketball has had me meet that I was just.
Speaker 2: Like, damn like it, like it's real. It was Tom Cruise. You met Tom Cruise basketball.
Speaker 1: Tom Cruise team reached out to me and they said, uh, Tom is very stimulated by your trick shots, Like.
Speaker 2: Because you know I'm jumping out the planes. You know he does own stunt. That's me. I'm going see.
Speaker 1: People don't understand, bro, this ship Red Bull ain't about to sign somebody that's a I like, they're not about to post fake content. Bro, you think I want to jump off a bridge, but you get what I'm saying. So Tom's team was like, hey, we want you to do all the stunts for our mission. Impossible, tiktoks wow, damn yes, I'm down. And at the end you get to meet Tom. So they Paramount hired me. We did all the stuff, and at the end I messed up, though I'll tell you I messed up. Don't ever talk when somebody you really want to meet talking. He was trying to praise me so much that I got uncomfortable. Really not because it's Tom So. He was like, he was like, man, tell me truth, man your content, man, Like how you making a shot underwater? And I kept cutting them off because I don't do well with praising because we were taught to always look forward.
Speaker 2: But now I do a better job at receiving.
Speaker 1: Even when you was just praising right there, I can run out, really yeah, because I don't want my brain.
Speaker 2: I didn't make it. That's how I'm tricked. Still. Yeah, but you you okay, let me let me just say, and I don't want you to run out to me.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying it's easy to make it an NBA or nothing like that, but walking a path that's already created is much easier than creating a path. You created a path that other people can be like I can do what legal shooter can do. Like, that's not that's no small fee.
Speaker 2: Yeah, God is good. God is good. You're a trail blazer. Yeah nah, I think you are too man. Yeah, I appreciate that, and I hate comming it too. I'll run out now, but.
Speaker 1: Like it's super dope, like and I love that you are. You know, content is a one, but your training is a one too, and you're working in and then you still get back to your community and you don't feel the need to publicize it like in our day and age some people and I I fall closer to your side of this, Like I get why people do it, but like personally, I feel like I understand when people are like I don't want to publicize that part. But on the other side, people like it inspires you and all that type of stuff. Sometimes I feel what I don't like is sometimes I feel like people only do it because they want the social media praise for it, and sometimes you exploit some people exploit the person for the content. It's very easy with our brand, so like, for sure, all you have to do is which I would never do. This is how I feel people are menial position due they see somebody online saying they're struggling, but the person's going viral. Then here they come in. They're gonna say, oh, we'll buy you, We'll buy you a house. The reason why they bought them the house is because they already told CNN, MSNBC and everybody that, hey, we're gonna get the social currency. And I feel like there's nothing wrong with that if you're trying to expire. But I feel like in today's world, I just feel like a lot of stuff is done for the attention.
Speaker 2: For sure.
Speaker 1: Now if I'm at an event, parents are recording me and they post yeah, or the Boys and Girls Club does want to post me, which happened the first event we did. The Boys and Girls Club of America was like hey, man, like it's okay, we posted and I'm like, yeah, go ahead, Like yeah, that makes sense. Yeah, But that's not what my heart is. My heart is to help as many people as I can without using them as a crutch. And I feel like when you come from where I come from, in the hood, people try to use the hood for that for that for sure, Like make a wish program, yea bro, Like you get what I'm saying. Yeah, yeah, all right, Well, We're gonna get you out of here, Lethal Shooter before we go, let people know what you're working on, where to follow you, all the things you said in the podcast. Yeah, guys, you know I'm Chris Matthews aka leathal Shooter. You can find me on Instagram, Lethal Shooter, TikTok, lethal Shooter and.
Speaker 2: Hey man, thanks for having me. I understand it now.
Speaker 1: Leath the Shooter Now My mess Moment pod with your host Kemel Stage. Appreciate you for watching or listening, and we'll see you next week. This has been a Unanimous Media original. Not My Best Moment was produced by iHeart Podcasts and Unanimous Media. It was hosted by me Kevin Frederick. Executive produced by Stephen Curry, Eric Hayden, and Charlotte Sumter. Rijet co executive producer, Kelenna Maria Cutney. The executive producers of the iHeart Podcasts are Sean ty Tone and Jason English. This series was produced by Peter Calter and Jabari Davis, Co producer Kurt Redmond. Special thanks to Stephen Curry and Will Pearson. Not My Best Moment as a production of Unanimous Media and iHeart podcast For more podcasts from my heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast, or wherever you get your podcasts.