Speaker 1: Kutbooms.
Speaker 2: If you thought four hours a day, twelve hundred minutes a week was enough, think again. He's the last remnants of the old republic, a sol fashion of fairness. He treats crackheads in the ghetto gutter the same as the rich pill poppers in the penthouse. Wow to Clearinghouse of hot takes, break free for something Special. The Fifth Hour with Ben Maller starts right now.
Speaker 1: In the air everywhere. The Fifth Hour with Me, Ben Maller and Danny g Radio Happy Saturday. It's the last Saturday before the conference championship games, which are tomorrow tomorrow, the twenty fifth day of January, and we got you covered now. Very rarely on this podcast, we'd like to say rare and appropriate. Do we do sporty pod? We normally don't do sporty pod. But one of the cool things about this podcast is we both work on the radio during the week and every once in a while somebody tries to sneak Danny, somebody tries to sneak something through the back door on the weekend, thinking that no one's gonna pay attention, like I don't know the Dallas Cowboys for example. Yeah, so I thought we would start with that, and the news came down last night. I don't I don't even know what time they announced it. I started getting text messages. It was kind of late in you know, here in California. So, I mean, the Cowboys are in Dallas, They're a couple hours ahead of where we are, so I'm not sure exactly when it was announced. But the Dallas Cowboys, they've made a shoddy higher. It's what they've made. Brian Schottenheimer has agreed to a deal. He's gonna be the new Cowboy coach.
Speaker 3: This is.
Speaker 1: I know Jerry likes to be in control and all that, and there were some stories this week that his kid, Stephen Jones, is very cheap. He's a tightwad, a very frugal person. Because that think about your Stephen Jones. You've got no real talent, You've got no real skill. You're just writing daddy's coattails. Right when Jerry kicks the bucket, Steven's just going to use the Dallas Cowboys as an ATM machine. You know, he needs petty cash, he'll just use the Cowboys. So I understand from his perspective not wanting to spend money, but man, what a buzzkill?
Speaker 3: Right? What?
Speaker 1: And Brian Schottenheimer, you gotta be joking. What in the world, I mean, my god.
Speaker 3: We're not a fan of these in house hirings.
Speaker 1: Well, it's just it's so you're the Dallas pleeping cowboy. Isn't this something like the Chicago Bears would do or Jacksonville?
Speaker 3: Yeah, very much so. And I remember hearing the promo play of you on the Overnight Show talking about how Dion would have been the perfect partner for Dallas.
Speaker 1: Oh, it would have been great. It would have been wonderful. Obviously for us, we're selfish sports content. It would have been amazing. This is just it's it's it's rice cakes, is what it is. It's pasta without sauce. It's Oh, it's so bad. It's tofu. The Cowboys could have had a nice prime rib and they said we want the tofu And I read somewhere I don't I don't remember where I read this, but I was snooping around last night.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: Friday night was one of those nights, Danny where I was like, I kind of wish I like having a little break, but I kind of wish we had the radio show to rant about the Cowboys. I was Jones and and then I was like, oh I can come in here, you know, tomorrow morning and be able to rant. So here we are.
Speaker 3: But yeah, yeah, and you were off the air when the Pete Carroll news broke right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, Well we'll get to that. That's on my big board. I know it is not a list, not a list, but I read this. This blew my mind. So Brian Schottenheimer first interviewed for a head coaching job with the Miami Dolphins. With the Miami Dolphins, that was after Nick Saban left following the twenty zh six season. So if my math is Cort, that's almost twenty years where Brian Schottenheimer was fussing around the NFL, going from job to job to job to job, and now he finally, after after all this time, is now an NFL head coach. And he didn't even call the plays in It's very bizarre. He was the offensive coordinator, he wasn't the play caller. Mike McCarthy very hands on in Dallas. I cannot wait till Monday. The Cowboys have scheduled a news conference for Monday more eleven o'clock local time, noon in the East, and that's nine am here in LA. But they're going to formally introduce Brian Schottenheimer as the latest head coach of the Dallas Cowboys. And if you want to see bull shoy on display, wait until you hear Jerry Jones get up there and sell. Sell. He will sell the soap for Brian Schottenheimer. He'll put on his straw hat and he will be Carnival Barker Jerry Jones. I can't wait to see that. But man, what a what a buzz kill, What a kick to your balls if you're a Cowboy fan, because you're like, well, Jerry's gonna at least go out and get a decent coach. This is.
Speaker 3: It is this week of not just them wanting to save money, but Jerry needing the control. And so that's why he went with an in house guy.
Speaker 1: Well there are well yeah, I mean that's I mean, I think that's a fair and a quality point. But there are levels to this, dandy, right, I mean, you are going this is Dave Campbell, like is what this is? If you remember years ago when they hired Dave Campo and that was the only other Cowboy head coach to be hired without experience as ahead. Now, listen, I don't. I'm all for people getting opportunities and all that.
Speaker 3: I just don't.
Speaker 1: I never thought of the Cowboys as a starter job. I never thought Jacksonville starter job, Chicago Bears starter job. I'd never thought that Dallas Cowboys were a starter job. So the Mallord report card on the Dallas Cowboys coaching, they get an F. Cowboys malor report card in F because you and I very rarely give f's, I very really give fs. But this is an F. Like what are you doing now? The Cowboys are behind the eight ball anyway, because Dak Prescott, as long as he's there, they're cooked. But the storyline that popped up this week from from Dallas is that there's a I guess, a weird power stoke. I don't know how Jerry Jones would give any power up. He's he's going to ride this thing until he goes to the convalescent home. And like Steven, don't want to spend any money, and you know, Jerry wanted to sign everybody, and so they made a compromise where Jerry paid Dak Prescott, but nobody else really got paid. So now you've got a quarterback that has a fatal flaw. He's got a glitch in big games, and you've got that going for you. And then on the other side, you've got this roster who's a hodgepodge. They are not not much there. So, my god, that is a four year deal. He won't be there four years, No chance, no chance. Man, he's been in the NFL. God, he's been there. How many years? It's been probably twenty years. He's fifty one now, maybe not yeah, probably over twenty twenty now the story. I was getting some messages from Cowboy fans last night and they were like, well, yeah, he's not a great code, but he'll just be overseeing everything. And Matt Eberflus. They're selling Matt Eberflus. This is how bad the Cowboys are. They're selling well, they're gonna have a great defense because Matt Eberflus is the defense of forty eight. Okay, well damn do okay by your Cowboys season tickets right now. Wow, everyone is pointing and laughing at the Dallas Cowboys. And this is just validates all the noise about Jerry Jones and the Cowboys. It substantiates all the talk that they have no idea what they're doing. But in Jerry's eyes, Danny, I'll bet you Jerry Jones is like, man, this is great. You know, as long as you talk about it, make sure you get you pronounce my name the right way, everything is good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, last night, around seven pm our time is when this story broke and I pulled the comments back up that I was can have from last night. First Cowboys fan says JJ doing what JJ does best, that's taking the money while making sure his team wins nothing. The next Cowboy fan, Dave Campo, just rolled over in his grave. Another puppet coach. Jerry Jones is one of the most disappointing owners in modern sports, a complete failure as a GM, and the only thing he's ever been all in on is his ego. What is Shane It's tragic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's pretty wild. It's pretty wild, and you know it'll it'll it's so bad. In many ways, it's good and people have talked about Jerry Jones. I had up one of my my buddies. We've talked about this on previous episodes of The Overnight Show, that he's he's a he's a he's a modern day When you think of the greatest promoter, the greatest showman in American history all time, just complete showmanship, arrogance, all of that. Going back, you've got to go to P. T. Barnum. To me, I don't know. I mean, I know he went around when I was alive, and you know I wasn't alive when he was around. But from what I've read about P. T. Barnum, he's the king. But Jerry Jones I'm trying to wrap my head around. And as far as the the owner of the count, he's like Jim Henson. You remember Jim Henson, the guy that created the Muppets. It's like a puppet show. It's it's an absolute puppet show with with with Jerry Jones. But he'll get out there on Monday and he'll grand stand around and he'll swanp and strut and he'll have like I said, I'll have the straw hat. He'll have the red and white striped shirt on or jacket, and he'll be working his magic is what he's gonna do.
Speaker 3: And by the way, ap Jim Henson, Jerry Jones outlived him. Well there, you know, Yeah, Jim Henson died years ago pneumonia.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that's what he said.
Speaker 3: I don't know if that was Yeah, he died too young. That was.
Speaker 1: That was the time they covered some stuff up on that. Now Dave, Dave Campbell still alive? You think, what do you think? Dave Campo still alive, by the way.
Speaker 3: Still he is. Why did that person say was rolling in his grave.
Speaker 1: For comedic reasons? Did Campbo seven years old?
Speaker 3: Whoa?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And his last job was a consultant for a USC and one of those no show jobs. But yeah, Dave Campbell is still still around, one of the great Dallas cowboys. But what an ear that was. They went from chan Gaily to Dave Campbo and now they've got Ryan Schottenheimer and somewhere Mike McCarthy's laughing while eating a bowl of pasta fetichini Alfredo. He's laughing. Yeah, And I don't want to I don't.
Speaker 3: You gave an f ESPN and gave this a C.
Speaker 1: Well, no, no, A C is when you don't you don't really know what you're getting. Brian. I remember when Brian Schottneimer was the offensive coordinator for the Jets and we used to lampoon him this is back when they had like Mark Sanchez, and they had really good defenses with Rex Ryan, and the offense was incompetent. And I'm trying to go back. I went through my notes and I couldn't. My notes don't go back that far. I didn't save that stuff because I'm not a total loser. But I remember there was several controversies when he was with the Jets, and even in Seattle, I recall there were some some issues there. So hey, listen, it's an f because you were flirting with Dion Sanders all of that RAS mctaz and everything, and then you go and bring in this guy. I mean, just a cup of room temperature lukewarm water. That's it's lukewarm.
Speaker 3: That is Yeah. But Ben Schottenheimer dazzled Steven Jones and Vice president of player Personnel Will McLay after he met with them, and he has a strong relationship with quarterback Dak Prescott and has connected well with people inside the organization. This according to ESPN.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's a perfect nickname shoddy because this is a shoddy higher by the Dallas Cowboys. But hey, now maybe people will go back and play this podcast ten years from now when the Cowboys have won seven Super Bowls and all that, and can you believe how wrong that was these two idiots on the podcast. Well, that's fine. We do the show right now, right, Danny, We do the show today. It's the twenty fifth of January, Saturday, and as of this morning, as of early in the morning here, way too early to be up, by the way, I am thumbs down. Now do you what are you given on the Danny G report card?
Speaker 3: I guess I would give it a C minus. Oh I a.
Speaker 1: Man boo that man?
Speaker 3: Well he because here's the caveat. I don't know what he's going to do as far as his staff goes. That's going to play a big role in this, because honestly, look at the head coaches around the league, they really are as good as their quarterback and their OC and their DC. I want to see who he puts on his staff.
Speaker 1: Well, I've already made my mind up, and he's the Netpo coach. Remember we used to goof on Lebron's kid for being the net Bo baby. Well, this is the Nepo baby of coaching. And I know there's a ton of them, right I understand. I mean your dad, and Marty Schottenheimer. God, I mean, I'm so old. I interviewed Schottenheimer several times, but many many teams he coached coming in to play the Chargers in San Diego. He actually coached the Chargers in San Diego too. But you know, the NFL is a multi billion dollar business where the easiest way to get in is your dad coach in the NFL. Your grandfather, Sean McVay, Shanahan, most of these guys.
Speaker 3: Howard Stearn's dad was in radio.
Speaker 1: Yeah, as I point out, Danny, my connection my dad was in Ham radio. Fortunately not commercial radio. But if you had been in commercial radio, I might you know, I'd be doing like a morning show somewhere or something like that.
Speaker 3: But hey, listen, my dad made license plates.
Speaker 1: Your dad was was very good at making small rocks or big rock small rocks. Right to do that. And now we get don't bear the lead, my man, don't bear the lead. We get to the Hila monster in the room. A greatness of the radis Danny. I know that you've had some time now to says Pete Carroll, You're gonna become the oldest head coach in NFL history. Next season. He's gonna turn seventy four years young. Your opening thought, Danny, on you as a lifelong Raider fan, someone that if you we cut you open, black and silver or silver and black will fall out of you, which is probably not good. You might want to see a doctor. But this is your squad, Danny, this is your coach. Pete Carroll. Doesn't he seem like the antithesis of the tough, hard ass raider, the old school raider.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I like his sort of leadership. I know a lot of it is raw, raw, but he also has been a winning coach. He's also had a bad defense there at the end of his run in Seattle. So I'm interested to see if they can extend and give a bigger deal to Patrick Graham and keep him in place as their defensive coordinator. Very very interested to see who he brings in as his OC. As far as the Raiders needing like a glue guy, a guy that brings the organization, the squad together. This could be a sneaky good hire. At first, I was like, because of the age, you know, Ben, I'll take it from Rob g who was arguing with Rob Parker on the air Friday afternoon Friday evening, and I was laughing because your buddy Rob Parker was saying the Raiders were just going for a big name. This guy's oldest dirt is he gonna coach from a wheelchair?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 3: All this agism all over the Odd Couple show. Rob g got on his mic and said, mister Parker, if we couldn't give people jobs because of their age, you would have been off this network and off TV back in two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: Whoa shots by it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said he would have been aged out of the media business a while ago. Yeah, so I don't know. Hey, I'll kick it to you. What do you think about the age? You think it's gonna take a year or two to get this thing built up? And then at that point he's a little too old or his age really just a number because the guy's so damn healthy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So, I'm not one of those guys every time you hire a coach you're like, well, we're gonna end up this guy's gonna be the next the coach for the next ten years. I'm not that guy, right, And the Raiders all they do is change coaches, right, It's non stop with the coaching change. So my philosophy. I've evolved my philosophy over the years when it comes to hiring coaches. Right, it's like Huey Lewis and the News, We're not here for a long time, We're here for a good time. And and I actually think that Pete Carroll, it's not an outrageous take. He knows what he's doing. And if I'm not mistaken, he's five years younger than the President of the United States, the Honorable Donald Trump, who's in the White House, and so he's not even as old as the President, So that you got me's close. But and I was texting some people when I found out about that. I actually found out that this was likely going to happen. And the sense I got was that the main reason Pete Carroll was hired the Raiders and you know this, Danny, the late game situations were atrocious. And as much as I you know, I loved Antonio Pierce for many reasons, and I wanted to see that workout.
Speaker 3: He was his consultants, Marvin Lewis and what's his face, formerly of the Giants, Yeah, yeah, what's his name. I emptied him out of my brain because those guys suck. If you're the consultants and you're walking around the sidelines or you're up in one of the boots, why aren't you hell being Antonio Pierce with clock management. There's all these damn cooks in the kitchen and none of them could make toast.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they made toast and it was burd toast is what they made. And you know the thing about it with the uh, the Raiders, Pete Carroll, that is one of his claims the fame that he's got a great record and they don't they don't screw things up in terms of when to call time out game management situations. He will spoon feed who he asked to spoon feed and that is his biggest priority as a coach. So from that standpoint, okay, so on the malor report card, I'm actually gonna give this a B a B minus on the mal report card because.
Speaker 3: No, stick to your b. That sounded better. Uh well, no, be mine, which is, by the way, it was Tom Coughlin.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Tom Coughlin, Thank you, Tom, emphasis on cough Yeah no, but I listen, Carol will do very well. Plus as an added bonus back at Packed ten media day at the believe it was the Marriott Hotel near Lax. He blew me off at a hotel near Lax. Pete Carroll used the malor iPhone to call in to at that time. I think it was like AM eleven fifty, which was the sports station in la and he was coaching at USC. So there was a bond that we had, me and Pete Carroll. And this is also validation, Danny, that it's validation that Pete Carroll was even though they said he just left on his own. He was fired by the seattlec They claimed he was retirement and all that because he's winning his coach in franchise history. But they got rid of him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they thought after they pushed after they pushed him out, he wanted to try to get back in.
Speaker 1: Remember, Oh yeah, no, no, for sure, I mean he wanted he want to back and hey, good for him. And the other thing about this, how many stories did we we hear over the last couple of months. Well, it's gonna be a lot different now Tom Brady's there and he's going to go in there and they're gonna change everything. And so Tom tom Brady was a he's a big owner of the Raiders. Here's some constructive criticism. He hired one of his old college teammates to be the GM and UH and and then I assume he recommended Pete Carroll, someone he coached against, who, to me, is the kind of guy that if Tom Brady hadn't even been involved, that's the kind of guy that I think Mark Davis might have hired, Right, I don't. I don't think it's outrageous to think that if Brady had just been golfing somewhere in Florida, that Mark Davis might have just said, all right, we'll hire this guy. Because we've both been around Pete Carroll and he is a he is a sweetheart of a guy. Right, he can talk your ear off, he's he's just got that different gab. He's got that Fengali effect as and so.
Speaker 3: But what with Mark Davis, you never know, he could have very well promoted Patrick Graham, who's been interviewing elsewhere for head coaching gigs. He could have pulled a move like that. He could have pulled a Jerry Jones type move.
Speaker 1: Well, they they hired Pierce who was the interim guy. And but I think they did that because remember they didn't hire rich Pasakia Pasaca. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Remember people, So you think Mark Davis would have overcorrected by getting the most experienced guy out there like Pete Carroll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, and plug again Pete, I cannot. I have nothing baddest about Pete's a bit of a bullshit artist, but other than that, he's charismatic and he's just he's a likable, approachable guy. And he has started to me look a little older. But he's in his seventies, for God's sakes, but he's still crazy. He's still got more energy. I mean, these guys, maybe we all be when we're getting older, Danny, you know, when we get to that point, may we be like Donald Trump and Pete Carroll? Yeah, and not Joe Biden when it comes to moving around, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And he's a very competitive guy. When he was pacing the sidelines for the Seahawks, I always felt like they could get back into games. Like you said, he was great at managing the end of games, and that is something that Raider Nation is gonna love here. I do hope that they get a modern offense in place with a really good OC. We'll see what happens with that other thing. I would add, Ben, for all the critics who say, and this is another thing that Kelvin and your boy Parker were going off about, they don't have a cornerback. The Morning Show with Jonas Knox, they were doing the same thing. They don't even have a quarterback. So do you think that that's gonna be the case when next season starts.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure they're not gonna play ten on eleven that they will. Someone will be playing quarterback for the r right.
Speaker 3: And it's not gonna be the backup eight and O'Connell. The Raiders. Right now, as things sit, ninety three million dollars of cap space, and that is the second most in the NFL right now, and that number is gonna get bigger once other roster moves are made this offseason.
Speaker 1: Now, Danny, you know how I feel about the salary cap eyes me nuts, drives me insane.
Speaker 3: But what I'm saying is, you can go get yourself a quarterback, either at number six in the draft, or you could buy yourself a quarterback, or you could do both and get a bridge guy and let a youngster sit for a season behind your bridge QB. So something is going to be done. I understand what you're saying about Brady's influence with the coach, but we're really gonna see if Brady has real influence here with the quarterback situation.
Speaker 1: Well, and that's that's a sophie's choice. All right, you make the call, Danny G. I'm gonna put you on the hot seat. Are you ready, Danny G? All right, toss up question. You are the general manager le Raiders. You have two options good quarterback. You can either sign Russell Wilson, who's Pete Carroll's puppet, a free agent available, Russ you know, bring Russ in mister unlimited, or Sam Donald. Those are your options.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm not touching Russell Wilson.
Speaker 1: So you'd go Sam Donald.
Speaker 3: Really, I would go Sam darn my god, don't I would go Sam Donald. Well, here's the here's the contingency plan. I'd go Sam Donald with some of that money, which you don't care. It's not our money. We always talk about that. End it first round at number six. If you're not going to get Shador Sanders, go ahead and get Ashton Genty so that you have one of the best running backs all of the sudden because they lost Josh Jacobs and that hurt them tremendously this past season. Get yourself a cash cow at running back, and then in the second round you draft old miss star Jackson Dart who needs probably a season to sit behind a veteran once he joins an NFL team. That's the way I would roll.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Pete seventy gonna be seventy four, I don't think.
Speaker 3: But hey, you could win, just like the Vikings proved you could win with Sam Darnold right now.
Speaker 1: Well, you can't in that Yeah, I mean in that division. People said it was a good division. They didn't win a game in the playoffs, did they. I don't think anyone in that division won a game. Green Bay lost to Philadelphia, Vikings lost the Rams, and the Lions lost to the to the Command. But yeah, you know, one a bunch of games here in the regular season.
Speaker 3: So well, I think they're going to add another wide receiver, give Jacobe Meyers some more money, a new contract. You got Brock Bauers, you got weapons, beef up that Max Crosby led defense. You get a healthy Christian Wilkins back in the middle. They got some parts to work with the problem is going to be depth. That's been the problem for their team for years now. Once the starters go down injured, they're sunk because their backups would be third or fourth stringers on other good teams.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, we have done a solid sporty podcast, and I mean, this is amazing. We're doing sporty pod on the weekend here. But we I'm glad we have another story that got completely buried since we're doing all sporty all the time. Is Bobby Slowick, who was the Flavor of the Month last year. He's the Texans offensive coordinatord Day. Yeah, well not anymore. He was excommunicated from the Houston Texans as Friday was Take Out the Trash Day in the NFL. You had you announced things that you know are not going to be that popular on Friday because most people don't pay that much attention on Friday night, Saturday and Sunday, and then they, you know, because they're doing other things. But Bobby Slowick was boy wondered. This is the I says year. Every every season there's a hot shot coordinator or two, and most of them flame out. Most of them flame out, and Bobby Slowick has been let go by the Texans and he was interviewing for head coaching jobs and now he's looking for a job, so maybe he'll be the Raiders offensive coordinator. Dan he come to join Pete Carroll with.
Speaker 3: A raid, I wouldn't be mad at that. Well, I mean a lot of stuff happened to the Texans, as you know this past season. They lost Stefan Diggs, there were a lot of injuries to that offense. They still were decent. There must have been some internal problems, but I think he's a good oc.
Speaker 1: Nah Diamond dozen diamond, doesn't I don't know.
Speaker 3: That better than Shot Nimer.
Speaker 1: Why don't we Why don't we put the ball on this? How about that day?
Speaker 3: I mean that was uh, that was great man. You missed these stories on your overnight because of when they broke. Yeah, well you were able to handle it on the award winning Fifth Hour podcast.
Speaker 1: That's right, and you Danny Bingley, the Raider insider on the Pulse of the Silver and Black, gave us that perspective. So anyway, we will have a longated Sunday. We have the mail bag. I know we have some stories we wanted to share with the class. So we'll get to all that, and we'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 3: Asta pasta, my Felicia