Speaker 1: Kamala Harris is the anointed one. She is heading towards the Democrat National Convention basically as the presumptive nominee. She most recently received the endorsement of the Obamas. She's never received a single primary or Coccus vote, Yet this is the party that proclaims it cares about democracy. She says she's running a people powered campaign, but she's never received a presidential primary or Cocca's vote. Make it make sense? So who is this woman? Who is Kamala Harris? What do you need to know about her? We're going to talk to someone who literally wrote the book on her. His name's Charlie Spearing. He wrote the book Amateur Hour Kamala Harris in the White House. So we're going to do a little deep dive in the Kamala Harris. Stay tuned for that with Charlie Spearing. Well, Charlie, it's great to have you on this show. I imagine you've got a lot of thoughts right now, since he wrote the book about Kamala Harris. I guess, at first glance, you know, it looks like she's obviously going to be the Democrat nominee. The Obamas haven't out on doorst she pretty much has the green light. I guess what would a Kamala Harris presidency look like, do you think.
Speaker 2: Thanks Lisa, Yeah, certainly that's what everybody's looking at her. You know, her record as vice president was so unimpressive. There's really only one sort of priority that stood out, which was her effort to campaign on abortion rights. I really feel that if Kamala Harris did achieved the presidency, I think the issue of abortion would be number one on her priority list, as she would use that issue to be Republicans politically. I think that's one of the biggest strengths the Biden administration had, and it certainly one that she was she was leading the way. So I think she's and that's sort of already featured in her campaign material, this idea that abortion rights are freedom and we stand for freedom and abortion, and that's going to be a focal point of who she is as a as a candidate and certainly and she becomes president.
Speaker 1: You called her book Amateur Hour. Why did you choose that title?
Speaker 2: Well, that's just based on conversations I was having with Republicans. It was clear that with Democrats, even certainly with Republicans but also Democrats that Colin Hardison wasn't necessarily prepared to be on the national stage. She had only had a couple of years in the Senate before she was sort of plucked out of the in a failed presidential campaign. Before she was sort of plucked out of the sort of the dolt from you know, the Biden administration has really sort of resurrected her political career after her failed presidential campaign. I think she would have been left behind, as you know, an ordinary California senator, munched in the lines of a Barbara Boxer or a Dianne Feinstein. She clearly didn't have enough capital to run her own campaign for president when she became vice president. A big part of the reason that Biden ran for reelection is that Harris was not ready to run and didn't and Democrats didn't think she could run and win against against Donald Trump. So that's the certain that was certainly the mood in the early part of the Biden administration, and that just makes it even more surprising that now today they're putting all their hopes on a on a person that they privately derided behind the scenes early in her career.
Speaker 1: You know, she grew up at Oakland, California. What do you know about her upbringing, about her childhood.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she grew up as the you know, daughter of an of the academic and you know, cancer researcher. Her parents separated when she was young, and she sort of grew continued to grow up under her mother's watch. Mostly she was at work, and so there was a sort of a community of women that surrounded her and built her up as she was as she was raised as a child. But she's so wasn't raised poor, and she certainly wasn't raised in a you know, a segregated community, and she didn't have to suffer any of the effects of you know, her race, which is what you know a lot of other black people and black candidates would talk about if they grew up in the South or they grew up poor in urban communities.
Speaker 1: And what do we know about her parents. I know, her dad, you know, was a Marxist, uh you know economists. But you know, give us a little insight into kind of you know, her parents and sort of how she was raised, like what ideologies were taught in her household and kind of was her to impact that her parents have on her what which you tell us about them?
Speaker 2: Right, Kamala Harris lates to talk about her parents regularly attending protests. You know, she talks about her parents growing up in marching and shouting for justice and how they pushed little Kammel and the stroller. But upon closer examination, a lot of their activism was into sellectual activism and at at the university where they were, Stanford, and certainly they held a lot of talking groups and at the Kamala's parents actually met at a seminar that her father was giving at the time, and certainly that's how they how they met, and so there was really more of an academic sort of discussion, and there was very limited They had very limited activism simply because they were both you know, not they were certainly there legally as students, but they were not citizens at the time, so it was very difficult for them to you know, they very careful about their actual activism, you know.
Speaker 1: And what kind of was she raised with religion or you know, what what did that look like in their household? Well, it was very split, right because yes, she did have a black father, but her black father ended up leaving and she was raised by her Indian mother who was so her Indian mother talks about raising her as you know, and taking her to the Hindu to simple and participating in all the Hindu rituals. But Kama likes to talk about this woman called that she calls her second mother, and that's a woman in the in the area of the household who watches over the daughters, you know, Kamala and her sister, and takes her to a Baptist church, a Christian church, Black Christian church in San Francisco. So she has this sort of dual faith upbringing. But we don't really hear Kamala talk about her Hindu upbringing anymore. She focuses more on this sort of adopted you know, the attendance at a Black church. And then tell us a little bit about you know, how did she well, First of all, you know, tell us a little bit about her you know, college age, you know, college years, and then you know her entry into politics.
Speaker 2: Right, So her college year she went to Howard University, and you know, she spent a lot of time, you know, enjoying college for all of its all the things that it offers. She attended a few protests, but she wasn't seen as, you know, a radical activist. She was very practical. She wanted to go to Howard University, get a law degree, and go back to San Francisco and get a good job. And she ultimately went back and became a prosecutor, working for the Almeda County Attorney you know, district Attorney's office as a lawyer. And that's when she first met Willie Brown, one of the most powerful politicians in California, who was then running for mayor of San Francisco.
Speaker 1: And then tell us about their relationship. How did he help her get into politics?
Speaker 2: Right, So, Willie Brown is sixty years old, he's running for mayor of San Francisco, and Harris is relatively unknown, twenty nine years old. She is the, like I said, working in the Almita County's District Attorney's office. And that's where they sort of kick off this relationship. Willy Brown starts dating her, and she's seen as a stabilizing force on his personality as he's running for office. Gossip colonists right, for the first time, Willi Brown is having a relationship with an adult woman because he's sort of a known philanderer with young women on his arm, different women on his arm because he's long estranged from his real wife, Blanche, who lives separately from Brown, but the couple never divorced. So Willie Brown really helped get Kamala Harris on this stage. First of all, through the social connections on Willy Brown's arms. She meets all of his wealthy donors, all of the celebrities. There's a fun gossip column bit about Clinton Eastwood spilling champagne on the mayor's new steady is what they could describe her as. So she's definitely rubbing shoulders with all the top celebrities, the donors, and certainly the democratic officials of the very powerful San Francisco Democratic community. And on top of that, Willie Brown also appointed her to some state board positions that paid her a great deal of money. She made over four hundred thousand dollars just after a couple of years serving in these board positions that only met like once or twice a month. Put that in today's dollars, that's nearly a million dollars. So it was very lucrative for Harris, put her on a very stable footing for her to pursue her next goal. She also, you know, Brown also gave her the keys to a BMW, so she he made sure that she was well taken care of and perfectly positioned for a political future. So it's partly a lucrative relationship. Then to say the leadast.
Speaker 1: She got her start in two and three she was elected to DA of San Francisco. You know, what can you tell us about sort of her record there as DA?
Speaker 2: Yeah, her record is DA. She ran sort of there was already sort of a progressive, a progressive district attorney Terrence hollanand who San Francisco voters were growing tired because there was a rise of prostitution, of drugs, and of homelessness, you know, much of the issues we see today. Harris ran almost to the right on that, you know, arguing, we don't need to be tough on crime or week on crime, we need to be quote smart on crime. That was Harris's campaign slogan. So she ran a little bit to the right, to the center of Terrence halling On. So, but when she took office, she was mostly a relatively you know, a different face, but pursued many of the same progressive priorities that the previous candidate. Had. She famously kicked off her campaign by refusing to seek the death penalty for a cop killer that angered the police force in San Francisco, you know, who made a big deal about that and would turn their backs on her anytime they saw her. Even Dianne Feinstein at the time, who attended the funeral of the police officer, publicly called out Harris for failing to pursue the death penalty. And it was it was a slight that Harris never forgot, you know.
Speaker 1: And if she also let a man out on probation who went on to kill two people as well, So did she kind of carry that same you know, left wing philosophy into her time as Attorney general as well?
Speaker 2: Well. She ultimately moved a little further to the right after beating sort of the last significant Republican for attorney general just by a hair, you know, very small margin, and this is Steve Cooley of Los Angeles, was a Republican who ran for the attorney general position. Harris just barely beat him. So she shifted a little bit further to the right as she grew, as she grew further up into California politics. You know, there was the famous Supreme Court decision against California that demanded they start releasing their overpopulated prisons. Klin Harris, as Attorney General, worked with Governor Jerry Brown at the time to sort of slow down and stop these and find excuses to keep these people in prison, because, as we all know, you know, it's bad, bad luck for any sort of politician with future political ambitions to release criminals, because one of these criminals could significantly commit another crime and that would damage your political career.
Speaker 1: Got a quick commercial break, stay with us. You know, it's interesting because then when she was the United States senator, you know, Govtract named her as the most liberal senator, even further to the left than you know, Bernie Sanders. And you know, since then, we've seen her say that, you know, she wants to take her to private insurance, that she believes in Medicare for all. She's compared you know, I used to KKK and all these really radical left wing policies. So it's like, I guess with her, she sort of strikes me as the kind of person that just says whatever people want to hear. It doesn't really believe in anything. I guess, what's your sense? And obviously, you know, researching her and learning of her like, does anything motive error or is it just power?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a very astute observation because Kamala Harris famously, you know, opposed legal marijuana when she was running for attorney general and then after she won her re election race and won a Senate seat, she changed her position on it. And then there's examples of that all throughout her career where she changes her position on the issues. It's as soon as it becomes politically liable. But after she became the Senator of California, she was she moved significantly farther to the left. Even before she launched her campaign for president, her assessment appeared to be if I, if I am on the same page of Willie's of Bernie Sanders, then perhaps I can earn the respect and love from his followers if I just get as far to the left as I can, and I'll be a candidate that doesn't have the sort of the downsides of the Bernie Sanders, you know, a cranky old man from Vermont. I'll be the sparkling, inspirational figures who becauses on policies. The Democratic primary voters love so she already worked on building that reputation, and then certainly when she launched her campaign for president, there was no position to liberal that wasn't up for discussion or that she took a side on.
Speaker 1: But so it's kind of scary then if she would assume the office of the presidency, because if you have someone who doesn't really believe in any thing, is not really rooted in anything, what that mean for how she decides to to govern. You know, she sort of just strikes me as kind of like a you know, soul well willing to you know. I mean, we saw her with the presidential debate for twenty twenty, which you know, she obviously flamed out and dropped out before Iowa, where you know, she accused Joe Biden essentially of racism and then immediately signed up to be his vice president.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I've disrectly seen as a very cynical politics. She was playing very cynical politics, and she wasn't sort of you could tell, voters could tell that she wasn't necessarily wed to the issues because she was all over the map. One day, She's supported getting rid of private insurance, the next day she said it was a mistake and didn't understand the question. And when voters would ask her these questions, she was kind of all over the map because she initially thought she had the right answer, but would often bracktrack and clarify.
Speaker 1: You know, do people like her? I mean she has had, you know, a ton of turnover. There's been so much written about the turnover in her office as vice president of just losing a lot of staff throughout her time there. So I mean, do people like her? You know, sort of what's the gauge on her as just a person? I mean, I feel like typically staff turnover is telling about the kind of person someone is.
Speaker 2: Right, And when I did the research for the book, Harris was not a beloved figure in fact, behind the scenes, and Washington Democrats and Republicans alike would would quite you know, privately mark her behind the scenes. It was very hard to find any bands of Kamala Harris back when I first started researching this book, and I was surprised that there wasn't this solidified group of Kamala defenders. And that's kind of the way it isn't Washington, right when you're found wanting and she had already piled up a number of gaffes and mistakes, people can turn on you pretty quickly, and if you're an abusive, difficult boss, right staffers in Washington can usually put up with that if they believe they're on the fast track to power. But if she's seen as not having a political future, that's when, you know, the most the most clever positioning staffers will ship gears and look elsewhere. And that's kind of where Kamala Harris was until we now find ourselves in this moment where all of a sudden she's now the darling of the Democratic left. And certainly earlier, just just a few weeks ago, oh, a lot of these same people that are out there praising her now were privately sharing their concerns about her possible campaign, whether or not she could compete with Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: Out of the gate, there was a reluctance from Barack Obama to endorse Kamala Harras now he has come around.
Speaker 2: But what do you think that reluctance? What was behind that? Do you think? I think a lot of people were very surprised to see that Obama wasn't out first out of the gate to endorse Kamala Harris, because he has been a longtime supporter of her throughout her political career. I think that primarily the reason why he didn't endorse her publicly right away is because he didn't want to be seen as someone who was sort of pushing Biden out and lifting Kamala up. There was already so many stories about how he was secretly working to get rid of Biden. He didn't want the same stories to be written about him secretly putting Kamala into place. But don't be fooled by that. I think that Obama is a a huge Kamala proponent. He was obviously a big supporter of hers when Biden was searching for a vice president, And I think that Harris has long had the Obama support and never never worried about not getting it. I think that Obama kind of wanted to make it look as if she was winning on her own steam. But it was clear that there was already a lot of background work done before the decision by Biden was made. You know, what do you think?
Speaker 1: There was also reports that part of Joe Biden's reluctant to step aside as a candidate apparently, you know, he's fine to be president of the United States commander in chief but is not equipped to be a candidate, which is a really interesting spin we're being told right now. But you know, part of the reporting at least was that he didn't feel like Kamala Harris had what it takes to win the presidency, to win the election. What has their relationship been like between the two of them.
Speaker 2: Well, Joe Biden wanted to buddy. He really thought that he could picked Comlin, that she would be fully supportive of him, and that he would have a friendly, buddy like relationship like he felt that he had with Barack Obama. But it turned out Kamala Harris was not there to be buddies with Joe. She was definitely not friends with Jill. So she became very kind of standoffs. She was sparcely protective of her own political brand. Biden's staffers almost threw up their hands when they were trying to deal with her because she was so so defensive and so careful about protecting her political future rather than just volunteering and taking one for the team. By their several instances of Biden and his staff asking her to take the lead on certain issues and she would decline, they would ask her to go on the Sunday shows to cover something, and she would decline. So they ended up throwing up their hands and kind of letting her do her own thing because it became very clear she was not there. Her number one goal was not there to support Biden. It was to sort of protect her own brand during this entire project.
Speaker 1: And there's also been reports that, you know, she doesn't really dig in on the research and dig in on the issues. Can you tell us, can you give us any sort of insight into that? Right?
Speaker 2: Staffers would talk about how you know, they you know, for instance, when she did that interview with Lester Holt after visiting Guatemala as part of her Borders Are Duties, you know, the famous question when are you going to the border, and she laughs off the question and jokes that she hasn't been to Europe, and that was widely seen as a mistake. You know, her staff had prepared her for that answer, they had given her briefings on that answer, and yet she, you know, ended up skipping over her prepared answer and delivering something else entirely. And that's just one example of how they, you know, staffers wouldn't get frustrated with Harris because they would prepare her, but she never took the issues seriously. I guess, what do you see from her now?
Speaker 1: I mean, it does seem like, you know, and watching the few sort of you know, public speeches and things she has done since you know all you know, basically the coronation. She's not officially the Democrat nominee, but you know, she's essentially the presumptive nominee at this point. Got a quick commercial break, stay with us. Does it look like she's, you know, kind of paying attention to the NAXI. I mean, it seems like a little bit more serious. You know, she's not doing some of the weird laughter stuff. I guess, what have you seen from her so far as a presidential candidate and what you've read and what you know about her, any anything, any insight on that.
Speaker 2: In the past couple of months, Lisa, she's been very disciplined and very focused. I think bad Kamala Harris was already sort of preparing for this moment. Her campaign events were very scripted, and she was very disciplined, and I think I think a Kamala heiress as a candidate has learned a lot of lessons from twenty twenty, that you know, not necessarily that you can't necessarily just thrive on your own, you know, terrorism, because it's not quite there. You're not you know, you're not seen as the next Obama. You have to be the the Kamala Aires. You have to define yourself and you have to stay on message and you can't get distracted. So I think that she has sort of demonstrated a little bit more discipline than her previous attempts at campaigning. And we'll have to see whether she runs a kind of a very defensive, basement scripted campaign or whether there's moments where she can actually emphasize her true personality.
Speaker 1: What do you think are her biggest vulnerabilities from studying her background and just studying her as a person with this book, and what are our biggest vulnerabilities biggest liabilities as a candidate.
Speaker 2: Well, she's sort of defensive and she she's not a risk taker, So that's and she lacks sort of the authenticity and kerorism that it takes to be a presidential candidate. You have to win the hearts of the American people. Harris had a chance to do that when she ran for president in twenty twenty and she failed miserably. Iowa voters, even voters in South Carolina and even in the Southern states, did not find her to be an approachable, warm candidate, but just another power hungry senator trying to be the next Barack Obama, where there were several that ran that year that voters ultimately rejected. And so I think that's her biggest challenge right now. Can you actually go out there, get on the stump, meet with voters, win over their hearts or is it just going to be a scripted campaign based on a couple of speeches at least interesting to see how quickly that they can overcome that gap.
Speaker 1: Is she intelligent?
Speaker 2: You know, I think when she does the homework and that she does have a kind of understanding of the issues. However, she is not very good at speaking in a way that is authentic and lets people believe she's very If you find she's in public, she's very guarded and isn't very knowledge You can't really speak knowledgeably about the issues. She can do a good job about, you know, raising the fears of the problems that are facing Americans, but as far as speaking in a way that that have resonates with the public is very difficult. She strikes me as very insecure.
Speaker 1: And I don't know if that's because of how she got her start or what, but she strikes me as a very insecure person. As you mentioned, like guarded, not very confident in herself, not very confident in her ability. It's not comfortable in her own skin.
Speaker 2: I think that's right. She demonstrated that multiple times during her twenty twenty campaign, and because you know, our campaign ended so miserably, she's been even more guarded. She did an interview a couple months ago with Lebron James's manager and she said, you know this, running a campaign is like a food is like running through a food fight, and you have to be perfect, you know, And that sort of gave a window into how she views this as like, I have to be perfect. I can't make one slip or I will be punished. And when you have that in mind, when you're not loose and comfortable with the idea of running in the public eye, then you're going to automatically have a sort of guarded, defensive personality.
Speaker 1: You know, We've covered a lot of ground, but I'm sure have missed things. Is there anything that you'd like the audience to know that you know we haven't covered yet, that you think is important or notable for people at home to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that most people will just automatically dismiss Harris, as you know, because they know the Kamala Harris of the word salads, of someone who was not taking the job seriously. But I certainly view her as a formidable candidate because when you know she she has a record of not doing very well in the job when she gets the job, but when she wants a job, she will rise to the occasion and and people will underestimate her. I think that she is fully prepared to run a good race, has the ambition to run a good race, and that you know, if there it actually is a debate between Harris and Trump, I think that Harris will take it seriously and will be a formidable opponent in any presidential debate. Certainly, she has to answer for her very liberal record, and if Trump is wise, he'll he'll focus on that, and I think that any kind of competition between the two will be a significant race. I don't think it's a I don't think it's a foregone conclusion that that she'll just spiral into words soualads and collapse completely if she makes a debate stage.
Speaker 1: You know what, well, she almost strikes me as ambitious, to be perfectly honest, like the kind where you know, the Tanya hrting you to get ahead, you know, before we go, you know, kind of what are some of the big takeaways in terms of her you know, career where you know, I mean, she does have sort of a laundry list of very leftist policies. What stands out to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, certainly with her policies, you know, her impositions she's taken. Yeah, yeah, And and Republicans have been reciting these off just in the last couple of days, so so rapidly. But you know, it's clear that she has no intention of securing the border or doing anything to expel all of the migrants says she left that she let come across the border, her and Biden. It's clear she has no interest in the issue of immigration, immigration enforcement. She wants to, she certainly wants to, you know, move towards u government supported healthcare, government funded daycare, government funded government assistance for every aspect of a person's life. She certainly is supports the government federal federally, you know, making it codifying Roe v. Wade into law, and making zero restrictions on abortion, and certainly even suddenly some of the more fun policies that they talked about during the campaign, like would you consider changing you know, the government restrictions on red meat consumption? She was she was, you know, vocally in supportive that and so many other things like banning fracking and in you know, getting rid of private health insurance. These are major issues that she was on the record supporting and it will be difficult to walk that back.
Speaker 1: And I think she said she wanted to get rid of plastic straws.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Yeah, I'm going to forget get rid of the plastic straws.
Speaker 1: Well, it will be an interesting election, but you know, we appreciate you bringing your insight on your book, Amateur Hour. Charlie Sparing, thank you so much. We appreciate your time.
Speaker 2: You bet, Lisa, thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Those Charlie Spearing, author of Amateur Hour, Kamala Harris and the White House appreciate him taking the time to come on the show. Appreciate you guys at home for listening every Monday and Thursday, but you can listen throughout the week. I do think John, Cassie, and my producer were putting the show together until next time.