Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Business Wait inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus global business, finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: Just two days after the latest price cuts from Tesla, the ev maker, as you know, we've been talking about it here at Bloomberg, raising prices in the US on two different models, this time the MODELESSA Model X vehicles. And this is coming one day after Tesla stock took a dive that was yesterday falling concerns about cutting prices that led to a cutting margins. In its latest earnings release, we got the details on that operating margins slipping to eleven point four percent, a two year low. I feel like the strategy at Tesla raising prices, cutting prices everything Elon is one of the most unique Harvard Business School case studies of all time. So let's get to one of the most read stories on the Bloomberg that kind of wraps it all together, and it is about how Tesla has entered a new era. Joining us with more Bloomberg News Global Cars are Craig Trudell joining us on the phone from London. Craig, thank you so much. I know it's later there in London, so I appreciate getting a chance to talk with you. So the new era has to do with Tesla and Elon's moving on pricing. Tell us about this new era and what it means.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I think you know, it's been over ten years now, right since the Model S launched, and that was a car that really sort of shook things up for the auto industry. No one really believed that you could make a compelling electric car and make any money selling it, right, and Tesla has absolutely proven the industry wrong in that respect. And they tried to move into a new era where they would sell not only compelling electric cars, but sell them for the mass markets, and they really struggled to pull that off. I think first it was because if they were going to to really stick to that, they were going to go out of business, and so they really were not able to hit the thirty five thousand dollars price point that Elon musk long promise. And then conveniently the last few years we've seen you know, Tesla and the whole industry in this really sort of unprecedented situation of no one was making as many cars as they had demand for and so you know, they could sort of cover for the fact that their mission was something they were having trouble accomplishing because everybody was jacking up prices.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I think we now are sort of seeing them get back to what Musk wanted to do all along, which was sell a ton of electric cars. And it's really really hard to do that at you know, forty thousand dollars plus, right, And so we're seeing the Model three come back below that threshold. It looks like the Model Why is going to be there in no time, because we've seen it fall twenty nine percent in roughly three months and we've just never seen anything like that before.
Speaker 5: Is there a bottom craig for the Model Why specifically that you could tell us a prediction on that?
Speaker 3: You know, I think I would. I would reckon that, you know, in that mid thirty thousand dollars range is probably where we end up seeing it. And you know, we're we're already seeing you know, in China in particular, because they're you know, they've they've got a sort of lower cost base there, They've got cheaper batteries. They It's just I think another part of this whole equation, right, is they have so much capacity that they've added. Just in the last year, they went from having two plants one in California and one in Shanghai, two, you know, in the matter of a matter of a few weeks, opening one near Berlin and one in Austin, Texas. And so, you know, I think there were only just sort of starting to, you know, get our minds around the fact that this is a company that has has so added to its ability to make cars that that's going to mean some significant changes in you know, the price that can can command for them.
Speaker 2: So is it a case of craig And it's funny because Matt Miller came out of the studio, is like a nobody's understanding you know what Tesla's doing at of course our car aficionado, but along with you guys. But what's interesting is you're saying they're raising prices on their higher end where they make the best margins, lowering it on the lower end where they don't make their best margins, but maybe they make it up on volume. And by raising on the higher prices, they ultimately help kind of pay for really getting that cheaper model out there among quote unquote the masses. I mean, is that kind of the strategy.
Speaker 3: It's you know, I think this latest change that they've made to you know, bump the model S and X up is really hard to understand that you alluded to in the intro. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense because those two models have just been on the steady march downward, and I think, you know, it's it's hard for me sometimes I feel like do I have Bloomberg brain and I'm just paying too much attention to the to the markets. But it really feels to me like this may well have been a case of Tesla sort of realizing that they may be kind of freaked investors out a little bit with how much they've cut prices and how much of an effect it's having on their margins. That maybe this was sort of a you know, throwing the markets at bone to say, we get it, we're going to cool it, and here's a little increase on models that, by the way, now are just like two point five percent of their total deliveries. So they're really sort of a rounding error. If it means you know, if raising the prices of those a little bit means a slow down in orders, so be it. They're kind of, you know, not very meaningful to the business at this point.
Speaker 2: Interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it feels like they're kind of competing against themselves in that way. But who would you say as Tesla's real external competition, Craig.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean those the S and the X models are you know, were high before these recent little bump up bumps up in price.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: You really have to pay you know, close to ninety thousand dollars now for the Model S. And this is a car that again is ten to eleven years old, right, And so you know, I think that that sort of you know, helps to under helps to sort of explain why they've brought the prices down so much. The fact that those models are a bit long in the tooth. They did make an effort a couple of years ago to at least update the interiors of them a little bit. That did seem to help, but you know, sort of underneath and in the guts of the car there, these are pretty old vehicles at this point, and those are competing with the likes of Mercedes and BMW where you know, and and even higher end electric vehicles the porches of the world where you know, I think a lot of consumers are more comfortable with build quality and you know, sort of craftsmanship than they might be.
Speaker 2: A Tesla, right, and network and easily a network to take it to if something goes astray. Hey, so in your story you say Tesla abandons Mercedes, or at least this is the headline on it, Tesla abandoning Mercedes battle to take on the likes of Ford. So this shift is meaning that Mercedes, you don't maybe need to be so worried. It's other automakers in this shift by Tesla.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think the luxury players can't totally sort of rest easy at this point, right. I think, you know, we'll see at some point, although Lord knows when a Tesla Roadster that will be another sort of a newer model that will you know, command these high prices and compete with the luxury players. But I think, you know, by going into the you know, thirty thousand or mid thirty thousand range that musk seems headed toward, that's really not where Mercedes and BMW tend to play, right, And Mercedes in particular is very drastically going in the other direction. Ola Clinius is really sort of making a push to move further up market, focus on AMG, focus on you know, big money spinners like the g Wagon, and he's very comfortable with that meaning lower volume, but you know, getting more value and commanding higher margins. So he's playing a very different game than Musk is.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 2: I have to say, Maddie just maybe before she goes mid thirty for Tesla not so bad. I mean, it really is a lot more manageable, you know, Craig, and it does necessarily, you know, probably open up a lot more consumers for Tesla. Just got about twenty seconds left here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Absolutely. I think it's just a question for me of you know, what happens to this sort of brand value and sort of cachet of Tesla and to whether, you know, weather Musk ends up sort of regretting shooting himself in the foot a little bit moving for quickly.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was trying to think, is it like Apple, like who who does have a little bit of a range, but they're pretty expensive any kind of Apple device. Craig, good stuff, Thank you so much, really appreciate it. Have a great week and Bloomberg News Global Cars are Greg Trudell joining us on the phone from London.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from three to six Eastern Listen on Bloomberg dot com, the iHeartRadio app and the Bloomberg Business app, or watch us live on YouTube.
Speaker 2: It has definitely there been a touch and go week for the price of bitcoin. We've seen the benchmark for crypto currencies dropping more than seven percent in the past two trading days alone. It is, however, up around seventy percent this year, so some back and forth, but we've been toying around with that thirty thousand dollars mark I feel all week. So let's get to it. Because our next guest in our weekly look at crypto he sees a long bull run for bitcoin with his reasoning is Corey Clipston. He is CEO at the Bitcoin Saving zapp swan Bitcoin. He does us at the zoom in la Hey, Corey, good to have you here with Maddie and myself.
Speaker 7: How are you well? Thank you so much for having me on.
Speaker 2: Well, tell us a little bit about what's been going on. First of all, in terms of your platform, tell us a little bit of idea in terms of activity users. Give us an idea of what we're seeing and what it tells you maybe about the bitcoin space.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, I mean, first off, thanks so much for bringing me here. We're basically a full fledged financial service as firm at this point that we started off as a bitcoin savings app.
Speaker 7: I guess it's fair to say three years.
Speaker 8: Ago volumes are up dramatically, and it basically is perfectly correlated with the onset of the shaky ground that we found some of the banks on about five weeks ago. It was kind of that March ninth, tenth, eleventh with silver Gate and signature in Silicon Valley Bank and then kind of roiling over to Europe with Credit Suee.
Speaker 7: And yeah, you mentioned this thesis.
Speaker 8: That I'm kind of developing, and you know, I think it's I've been talking about it publicly, but it's actually very much for purposes.
Speaker 7: Of running my own company and thinking about.
Speaker 8: Pace of hiring and advancing partnerships and entering new markets and rolling out new products and things like that. And basically it made me turn very aggressive in our growth trajectory and plans. And it's specifically because I think that.
Speaker 7: We have more people than ever.
Speaker 8: In history that are receptive to talking about the merits of bitcoin.
Speaker 7: And what it's for.
Speaker 8: And it's cleaning up this false narrative that you saw a lot of in call it twenty twenty, twenty twenty one, maybe even into twenty twenty two, of bitcoin being a near term inflation hedge, which makes really no sense. It's not about a hedge against you know, CPI numbers next month or even next year. What it really is is an inflation hedge in the sense of monetary debasement.
Speaker 7: So it is a hedge.
Speaker 8: Against the credit fiat based system and against money printing that sort of inflation. And I think that's true, but that really is a long term play.
Speaker 2: So because we only have about six minutes left here and forgive me, so if net Neet, your bullish theory on bitcoin is what.
Speaker 8: So specifically, I'm bullish on adoption, so number of people go up obviously long term, you know, I'm very much on record saying I expect a million dollar price for bitcoin by the end of the decade. But the path that it'll take to get there, I think is anybody's guess. Yeah, what I'm talking about is in the past three bowl market peaks, there's only been about a four to six month window where Google search volumes have been off the charts and where a lot of people have been rushing in trying to learn about bitcoin and get up to speed. And that's, you know, kind of three four to six months at the end of twenty thirteen, twenty seventeen, twenty twenty one. Yeah, what I think we have here is something more like maybe twenty four months where there's a receptive audience willing to be, as we call it, orange pilled, take the orange pill and get into bitcoin, and everybody's interested, and companies are looking at making sure that they have enough bitcoin on the sideline to be able to pay important vendors and make payroll in the event that their bank runs into trouble things like that.
Speaker 5: Well, I want to talk about the volume thing, because I keep hearing you mentioned different metrics that show that volume is great. We've got a story on the Bloomberg terminal and online about how volume for crypto training seemed amazing last quarter. But if you isolate just the bitcoin dollar trade, parrot shows that volume was among the lowest since twenty twenty, and that's, of course amid some of the regulatory chatter that's going on. And all of this comes as I know, you're very familiar with the Binance effect question binance ending it's zero fee trading, Does that pullback from binance, which happened just in the month of March, decrease some of that volume to you? And to what extent are you worried about the impact of binance.
Speaker 8: Not worried at all about the impact of any centralized crypto casino, and at least on bitcoin. And again I obviously focus on Bitcoin only and don't see much future in the long run for any of the off coins from a THEEUM on down. But yeah, so I guess as far as bitcoin volumes, you know, if you have zero fee trading and you give beneficial rates and access to market makers so that they can sort of trade contra with favorable terms and access versus your customers, like Finance's rumored to have done over the past few years, yeah, you would see some of those volumes fall off as they are forced to see some of that behavior here.
Speaker 7: So I don't think there's any surprise that volumes would be down.
Speaker 5: But even in the bitcoin dollar trade we're seeing on that pair of volume down. That doesn't concern you.
Speaker 7: Not one bit.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean there's still plenty of liquidity and not much slippage. If you want to make a large buy, you know, you can do t w op or view app and still establish your position with almost no slippage on any major trading ven you, including SWAN.
Speaker 2: So I just want to sure I'm understanding. So your thesis has to do with more people maybe trading out of traditional finance and then as a result opting into bitcoin. Is that fair?
Speaker 8: I think it's just more and more people recognizing that, you know, the truth that bitcoin is the best tool for the job of store of value, which is a giant asset pile conservatively marked at four hundred trillion, maybe aggressively at nine hundred trillion globally.
Speaker 2: But how can you say that considering the volatility that we've seen in bitcoin and how high it went and how how how hard it fell, how is that to be considered a store of value? And ultimately you're always going to have a fixed amount, right, So it's you know, the dynamics of it is not necessarily like you know, a free trading currency.
Speaker 8: So it is a free trading currency. And I think we're confusing a couple of things. I said, it's the best tool for store of value. It's going to take. This is the technological revolution on the order of something like steam power or the information revolution or mass production or something like that. So it's going to disrupt all industries over the course of four to eight decades, just like previous technological revolutions. And so when you talk about what your expectations are for where bitcoin will eventually end up, you have to think about it in terms of what percentage of that asset pile that is currently the store value asset pile do you think the best tool for the job for the job will eventually take over what timeframe? So you know, if you think that it's going to take twenty percent of that asset pile, then that would be eighty trillion dollars.
Speaker 7: You have to.
Speaker 8: Decide like when is it going to take that by is it going to be twenty fifty is it going to be.
Speaker 7: Twenty thirty five? And then essentially.
Speaker 8: You just have to right size your bet on that future. But it's going to be extremely volatile on the way. There's absolutely no way it can go in a straight line from half a trillion dollars to say ten or twenty or thirty trillion dollar.
Speaker 7: Market cap in a straight line.
Speaker 8: It's going to have manias and wild crashes along the way as it grows into its rightful place as more and more people understand what it is, and one of.
Speaker 5: Those crashes, obviously being FTX SBF regulation is on the way. Do you have concerns at all about people getting bullish on bitcoin given the risks that we've already seen involved in investing in cryptocurrency when you do have bad actors in the system like an SBF.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely so. I mean again, the non bitcoin crypto space is just ripe with scams. Over ninety nine percent of those projects are deliberately set up to be pump and dumps, and the remainder that maybe could be honest attempts at building something still in the long run won't need their own micro currencies. We don't live in a barter system, and monetary networks trend toward one. So if there is some kind of innovation that comes out of the whole DE five blockchain crypto complex that still gets used by people and businesses. In the future, it'll use whatever the major currency is that dominates the monetary space. It'll be dollars in bitcoin, I think, for the rest of the century, and we'll see what happens with that battle.
Speaker 7: But that's that's decades off.
Speaker 6: Well.
Speaker 8: But yeah, these centralized players like they brought this regulation on themselves, right, This was outright fraud and criminality on the part of companies like FTX and Celsius, and it was some flavor of that, maybe more toward terrible risk management when it comes to Genesis, Gemini, Block five, Voyager and some of these other ones that have be have cratered and lost their client's money.
Speaker 2: And I think, to be fair, we're still trying to figure it all out. Really, Corey, thank you so much. Really give us a bunch of stuff to think about. Corey Clipston, he's chief executive officer at Swan Bitcoin, as he said, really a broader financial platform. Initially started as a bitcoin savings app, but they are certainly offering more stuff. On the phone from La.
Speaker 1: You're listening to the Bloomberg Business Week podcast. Catch us live weekday afternoons from three to six Eastern on Bloomberg Radio, the Bloomberg Business App, and YouTube. You can also listen live on Amazon Alexa from our flagship New York station, Just Say Alexa play Bloomberg eleven thirty.
Speaker 2: In the last twenty four hours, the state of Arizona rescinded its approval for two new deep water wells for a controversial Saudi Arabia owned farm in the desert west of Phoenix. This on the heels of a CBS News report about farms in western Arizona that are growing alfalfa, one of the most water intensive crops in an area where there's a shortage of water. CBS noting that some farms are fore owned and are shipping the crop to Saudi Arabia, where it is legal to grow because it takes too much water. Stories about water access to lack of and investing in seem to be everywhere. And our next guest is the CEO of Eco Lab. It's a forty seven billion dollar market cap company that is a global provider of water hygiene and infection prevention solutions for everyone and everyone in the food, safety, sanitation, and oil and gas industries and more. Ecolobe shares by the way, up nearly fourteen percent year to date, and we welcome the CEO joining us via zoom from Saint Paul, Minnesota, where the company is based. Christophe Beck is here with us. Christoph, nice to have you here with Maddie and myself. I have to say this CBS report, I'm sure you saw it or I just feel like there's been a lot of reporting about access to water around the country or water as an investment. What are you seeing when it comes to global water supplies and the conditions of the available water to us?
Speaker 9: All good, def and Maddie so are great to be with you on a happy Earth Day a little bit early.
Speaker 7: It's going to happen tomorrow.
Speaker 9: Water scarce city is a big issue, and it's one that's getting bigger. Climate change is having most of the impact on water, and water is having most of the impact on climate change as well. When we think about it's about twenty thirty, it's expected that we will need forty percent more water than what nature can replenish. So the problem is big and he's getting bigger, and we can see so in places like in California with the Colorado River drying up as well, getting challenges as well so to feed big cities like Los Angeles. So the challenge is big and at the same time for industries, well, there is not only no life without water, but there's no industry without water as well. And the good news is that if we save water, well, we save energy as well at the same time, because we need a bunch of energy to heat water, to cool water, to transport water, to tweat water. And that's why dealing well with water ultimately is a very good thing for business and for the years.
Speaker 5: Christophf you bring up some of the major water sources in the United States, and of course Michigan comes to mind in the situation in Flint. I wonder to what extent you think that Biden's push on infrastructure and the Infrastructure plan could have a positive impact. Does it move the needle enough to kind of satisfy you in terms of lessening the concerns that you have about the status of water infrastructure in the United States.
Speaker 9: Well, let's put it that way. It's a good step in the right direction. But interestingly enough, so most of the focus today is on a renovating older infrastructure. It's a little bit like if we were to renovate older phone lines when everybody's using cell phones. So we believe in our company since we serve a million of customers or around the world and really helping them produce more better products with less water. That ultimately so sites, industrial park cities will have to become water sufficient and that means that there should be in a place that to reuse and recycle water. So that's why we need even more innovation. Solutions exist, but we need to support companies in order to go in that direction and re use and recycle water on site and not just in terms of distribution, like the example in Flint that you just mentioned.
Speaker 2: Well, what sounds like getting more R and D done is something that the Water Equity Global Access Fund might certainly help tell us about this. You and a few other partners, a few other companies have been partnering on this tell us about.
Speaker 9: It absolutely well. The whole idea started a few years back when when you looked at the facts and really realizing that for the world and for the industries, we won't have enough water so to keep growing, which is a major issue for industry, for business and for people. And we realized that one hured and fifty companies worldwide impact a third of the world water consumption. So we came together together with the United Nations and saying we will create the Water Resilience Coalition, getting those one hundred and fifty companies together in order to reach three objective. The first one, it's all of us to get to net zero, which means that we're using all the water that we are using. Second, it's really set to protect one hundred basins around the world that are supporting three billion people's lives. And the third it's to provide access to three hundred million people who do not have access to clean water today. And we've partnered with many companies. Microsoft was one of the founders together with us. We had Cargill, we had Jajo, we had Starbucks as well. A lot of companies have joined and one of the partners has been water dot Org, a remarkable organization which is not a freeland tropic organization. It's investments in order to provide water for people who will pay for it. But it's less expensive then to go and get water in those places where there is no access. So we've helped fund that organization. So far, almost four billions so have been mobilized to provide access to fifty two million people.
Speaker 7: So the world the Water.
Speaker 9: Access Fund you just mentioned is one additional step in that direction.
Speaker 2: Christoph, I have to say, twenty years ago, fifteen years ago, you know, wanted to do this documentary and I'm like, guys, water it's the next commodity we're all going to be fighting over. And everybody's like, oh, come on, We've all been like talking about that for years. We're going to have plenty of water. It's just like a non event here we are. What has changed maybe in the last five to ten years when it comes to global water supplies.
Speaker 9: The thing that I've changed are good things. We are much more people on the planet. We will be two three billion more in the decades to come. We've been growing as well. The diets have changed as well, moving from most cell based to more proteins, which means meat. And to get meat, well you need to feed the animals as well. You need more water for it as well. So it's driven by the right things, except that human being and industries are thinking in a linear way. You know, you take the water, you use it, you dump it. We should more do it like nature does, which is using it in a closed circle. It goes to the cloudy trains, it comes back. You use it and you work in a psycho. So good changes, but we need to rethink the way we manage water in order to keep growing.
Speaker 2: Amen. Yeah, and here are one day before Earth Day, and really appreciate you and having this conversation. Christoph Beck, thank you so much, chief executive officer of the publicly held Eco Lab. As we said, a forty seven billion dollar market cap company, but really talking about initiatives and companies banding together when it comes to water. Joining us via zoom from Saint Paul, Minnesota. Yeah, we've had a lot of great conversations this week. Tomorrow is Earth Day everybody, so birthday. Yeah, and if you're missing the conversations, check out our podcast for you're talking about agriculture, water, just our environment. We got to care Mother Earth.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's critical, it's the most important resources we've.
Speaker 2: Got a absolutely all right, This is Bloomberg.
Speaker 1: This is Bloomberg Business Week inside from the reporters and editors who bring you America's most trusted business magazine, plus gloom Wal business finance and tech news. The Bloomberg Business Week Podcast with Carol Messer and Tim Stenebeck from Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 2: You got to put your headphones on for that one, mister Webber, Paul Brennan going into the archives. Nice, that's an old Pepsi commercial. I don't know, that's a pretty old one. Cold Wars they're on again, everybody, although this time it's over lemons and limes. So this next story in the new rat show, Bloomberg business Week out on newsstands, online at Bloomberg dot com, Sash business Week, and also of course on the Bloomberg turbel. So let's get to it. Brett Pully wrote it. He is Bloomberg News Atlanta bureau chief, home to Coca Cola. Brett is on the phone from our bureau. There also here the editor of Bloomberg BusinessWeek, Jill Weber. Here in our Bloomberg Interactive Brokers studio. First Jell Coca Pepsi.
Speaker 10: You know there's a place for both, and funny enough, Pepsi is still fighting for that space in the lemon lime conversation, which is what we're going to talk about now. Okay, I did not know this sprite has this category on lock and has basically just like pulled away and it looks like the dominant lemon lime flavor, which I found surprising, mister Polly, I did not know that Sprite had this category on lock. And it was such a lock that Pepsi said, you know, we've had this other brands here I missed for a while. That is no more, what do they bring out?
Speaker 6: Instead?
Speaker 4: They keep trying. That's the thing, Spright, as you've pointed out, dominated, Yeah, they've dominated this category for such a long time now, and you know it's it's the thing. It's not this time, it's not Coco Pepsi, right, it's the it's the on Kola, as the other brand famously called. It's seven Up. And this lemon lime category that was really created by seven Up back in the twenties has for the last oh, you know, thirty plus years been dominated by Sprite, which has done really an incredible job of focusing some key demographics with this lemon lime flavor. You know, they signed on early to the whole hip hop culture and really penetrated those multi multicultural markets. And we're the big sponsor of the NBA, et cetera. And now the new sponsor of the NBA is pep sees. The latest entrant in this category that they launched earlier this year, which is called Starry. So Pepsi had picked up the NBA partnership a few years back and put its It's Mountain Dew beverage as the NBA primary drink. But just change at the story, and of course mountain Dew they dominate their category which is highly caffeinated let's just say caffeinated, which is caffeinated citrus flavor and lemon lime. The big distinction with lemon lime is that it is not caffeinated, and that's where sprite this absolutely dominates.
Speaker 10: Okay, so what about seven Up.
Speaker 4: Well, seven Up they're still there. They're still in that category. And interestingly seven Up is kind of controlled by two entities. In the US, it's controlled by Curing Doctor Pepper, which of course makes another cat glory spicy Pepper, and internationally seven Up is controlled by PepsiCo. So this has to do with some antitrust stuff in the past. But what it probably means is that Pepsi COO while they're pushing their new products storry very hard in the US, they might not do the same in global markets, given the fact that they do have seven Up in those markets, and of course Sprite is strong in those markets as well. The other big big thing is that sprite is so strong at the fountains, you know, the stadiums and the restaurants and all the places where people pour fountain drinks. It's like you almost have to have a good lemon lime non caffeinated soda for people who you know, people are concerned about other things when it comes to soda. Right, they're the health concerns, But there are a lot of people who are concerned about two things, the health concerns and the caffeine. Maybe they're letting their kids indulge when they're at a restaurant or something. They're letting them indulge with some soda. G I wanted to be caffeinated. So so it's really important to have a lemon lime so that you can get those uh those fountain that fountain business.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: On the health piece, though, Brett, I wonder if they wouldn't be better off just launching a sparkling water for gen Z because it's seen as like really uncool and unhealthy to be drinking soda.
Speaker 2: Gen Z or which one are you?
Speaker 5: I'm a millennial. I'm millennial, but I'll moonlight as a gen zer to seem cool, but like, I would never drink soda around a younger person than me because I would feel like they're judging me.
Speaker 7: You know, I totally hear you, and in fact, you don't have to drink soda.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm sorry, too.
Speaker 5: Easy, Okay, Brett, But seriously, what's what's the deal?
Speaker 4: You're just gonna say no?
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 4: I talked to people on this story, people in the business who are competing in trying to figure out how to steal some of that market share that that sprite has in this category, and there are there are those without starts and who say that absolutely it won't be this new drink from PepsiCo and it what it will be is a drink that comes along that is focused on the health concerns the younger, the younger demographic ass and that is really the big, big challenge for soda companies overall. I mean, the overall consumption is like, you know, kind of a bit of a slow melting iceberg, but it has been shrinking, so.
Speaker 10: So does so to go down and lemon line stays flat or goes up? Like, what is demand like for this particular category.
Speaker 4: I think this category I mean, it stayed around about around ten percent, looks like for the last decade or so, ten percent of overall. So to say, what we see happening globally with overall soda sales, however, is that in recent years, you know, they've ticked down a couple of points and have been trending that way for some time. And as a result, you know, will you come out with the new Starry or a new drink You're not. It's all about market share. It's all about stealing share from each other. Right, It's like they've they've penetrated the market and that market shrinking, So it's all about stealing share. And for Pepsi COO, if a drink like Starry can get just like five to ten percent.
Speaker 2: It's not too shabby, right.
Speaker 4: It's not too shabby.
Speaker 2: Can I just say, as you remind us, this is Pepsi's fourth stab at the category, so y hat Siera missed. There was Slice in eighty four team back in the nineteen fifties, and then there were Storm that actually never made it to market. So I'm not going to say that that bodes well or badly or whatever, but it's just a reminder they've been they've been trying to go there.
Speaker 10: Here's a little fact too. Take seventy percent sprite, thirty percent coke or so guess what you get?
Speaker 2: What do you get? Gingerl Are you kidding?
Speaker 5: This is a bartender trick. Yes, if a customer asks you for ginger ale, you say you have it.
Speaker 2: And you mix the two together. Yes, it's to you guys. Never approach Jil Weber.
Speaker 10: You're just like man tips on a Friday.
Speaker 5: What do you do on the weekends. I mixed Briten code for my kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, please kick it up cocktail. Hey, thank you so much, Brett. Fun to check in with you and the story. As we mentioned, the new is show of Bloomberg Business Week at on newsstands as we speak. It's also online on the Bloomberg terminal and online at Bloomberg dot com slash BusinessWeek. Brot Pulley, he's our Atlanta beer chief out there in Atlanta. And of course Joe Webber on fire on this Friday, Editor of Bloomberg Business Week, This is Bloomberg Radio.
Speaker 9: Un brother mac.
Speaker 5: A journal.
Speaker 2: How about you let me drive?
Speaker 6: No, no, no, no, who's going to drive?
Speaker 1: Honey?
Speaker 9: Please?
Speaker 7: How do the riding gravels.
Speaker 8: Let's mate, I want to drive.
Speaker 1: It's a good question time. This is the drive to the globe dot com me efek well buy around on Bluemberg Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, just about seventeen and a half minutes left in today's trading session, getting ready to wrap up that Friday trade and the trade for the week. Carol Master along with Madison Mills, live in our Bloueberg Interactive Brokers studio on YouTube on Blueberg Originals. I want to get to our drive through the close on a palm. Demani is head of International and Emerging marketsteat at Nouve. They've got about one point one trullion in assets under management, so they get to see an awful lot when it comes to investor thinking. She is with us via zoom in New York City on a palm. Son to have you here with Maddie and myself. You know, I would love to first just start there with a big picture from you in terms of what we are seeing, especially when it comes to the emerging market economies. We got updates on growth, global growth and activity and concerns from the IMF and World Bank just last week. How do you see it where are we seeing strength, where are we seeing weakness? And as a result, we'll get into some of the opportunities.
Speaker 6: Thanks for having me, Carolyn Madison. Yeah, emerging markets, right, so, I think the growth differential is expected to outpace developed markets growth both this year as well as going into next year. And although IMF downgraded both developed market and emerging markets growth, I think the downgrade was much most star in developed markets. So the differential is going to be about two and a half percent in favor of emerging markets this year, which only expands going into next year. And historically, if you look at that differential, that has been a driver for inflows into the asset class. Additionally, I would say both cyclically and structurally, emerging markets is quite under owned compared to historical levels. And there's pretty limited net supply in both the sovereign heart currency market as well almost a negative net supply in the corporate market. So the technicals well vote also quite well for the asset class.
Speaker 5: Can you talk a little bit about specifics here? I know you have a lot to talk about, but the emerging market sector can mean so many different things. Is there a specific area or currency that you're looking at that's particularly notable to you as potential for upside.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no, you're totally right. Em is such a diverse opportunity set. I like to always say, it's not a monolithic asset class. It's a very heterogeneous mix of countries with different drivers of growth. You know, we can choose between sovereigns, corporates, and heart currency, which is US dollar denominated, as well as local currency opportunities. And there are as many as seventy countries, right that you can actually pick from. So some of the countries that we are focused on, I like to sort of divide them into three groupings. One is stable to improving macro stories such as Mexico and India, right, And these both benefit also from this new paradigm and the geopolitical space of near shoring or French shoring so to speak. They have positive demographic dividend, their improving growth inflation pictures, and really they have a whole host of corporates, a very dynamic and a robust corporate sector for us to choose from. And oftentimes many of these companies have lower leverage and higher you know net cash flow or our net cash flow positive compared to some of their developed market peers, and yet they offer a higher sort of yield advantage with the develop market counterparts. So that's one of the groups. The other group that we like is really, you know, thinking about more reformers countries that are in upward rating trajictories such as Serbia, where we think there's improved fiscal dynamics and there's a strong FDI pipeline. So that's another sort of grouping of countries that we do.
Speaker 7: Like.
Speaker 2: Okay, Annapop, can we go back to what you said about Mexico and India near shoring front shoring. I'm assuming does some of that play have to do with the tensions we're seeing between the US and China and you know, the pushback that we've seen over the last couple of years. It feels like increasingly it gets globalization, and then as a result, something like Mexico certainly benefits by its proximity to the United States India as another possibility of a lower labor workforce at least lower cost to some extent, and just having lots of people where they can do it.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, I think you hit it on the spot. Posts the pandemic and then further exacerbated by the Russia Ukraine conflict. Right, We're sitting in a geopolitical landscape that many countries are very focused on making their supply chains quite resilient and also in general just diversifying their supply chains. And for the US it's a little bit more looking at it from a similar values perspective, So they are thinking about deepening economic integration with sort of dependable trading partners to diversify away from nations that pose geopolitical and security risk to their supply chains. And I think that's where India comes in, even though it's a lot farther from the US by you know, Mexico, clearly closer to home, you know, and already benefits with some of the trading links and the trade framework that we have in place with them.
Speaker 2: So what does it mean for China as an emerging market? Although I always feel mixed. It is an emerging market, but it's so much more complex. I feel like in terms of opportunities, there is it even on your radar.
Speaker 6: Yes, So I think the way to think about it is the China reopening, as chaotic and messy as it has been, uh, it is surely and slowly. Uh. The recovery is gaining momentum. You know, some of the recent indicators that came out also suggested so much that the economic rebound as well in place. I think we are trying to rather than play just through China, because all investments in China almost have to be looked at from the US security lens, being a US based investor here, and we rather play China through the outbound tourism. So countries like you know, Singapore, Thailand, Malaysia may benefit as the Chinese start to travel outside again. You know, it's going to be more consumption driven this time the recovery, and so really thinking about the countries that export in terms of manufacturing exports or electronics that would benefit from that reopening, such as Korea or Taiwan. And then finally, you know, Chinese with the reopening consuming more commodities, and so that's the other channel through commodities, which impacts and positively a lot of the Latin American economies.
Speaker 2: Well, really appreciate you weighing in. Have a great weekend. Anna Palm Domani, she's head of International and Emergency market instead over at New Veen. As we mentioned earlier, about one point one trillion in assets under management. Joining us via zoom from New York City.
Speaker 1: This is the Bloomberg Business Week podcast, available on Apple, Spotify, and anywhere else you get your podcasts. Listen live weekday afternoons from three to six Eastern on Bloomberg dot Com, the iHeartRadio app, tune In, and the Bloomberg Business App. You can also watch us live every weekday on YouTube and always on the Bloomberg Journal